Speaker 1: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: Lucky?
Speaker 3: In line at the Delhi I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 3: In the car before my kids pta meeting?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 4: I never win?
Speaker 1: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 3: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now?
Speaker 1: Are you feeling lucky? Nobrig just necesaryfoid? We're gonna be my long eighteen plus terms conditions of pluck seems every details it.
Speaker 3: Is Ryan here and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Are you at fist pumper, A wooo, a handclapper, a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino at chumbacasino dot com choose some hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever at Chumbuck Casino dot com No.
Speaker 1: Just necessary VOI where everyb I lost e terms it is eating.
Speaker 5: You are now listening to True Murder, The most Shocking Killers in True crime History and the authors that have written about them Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupansky.
Speaker 2: Good Evening, This is your host Dan Zupanski for the program True Murder, The most Shocking Killers in True crime History and the authors that have written about them. Weaver and fiber artist Edith Penn knew her friend Sandy Merritt's relationship with a married man was wrong. She had even urged Sandy to take out a restraining order against Kenneth Carpenter, which is why her call to Sandy on February twenty third, two thousand and five seemed to come from right out of the blue. During it, she told Sandy to drop the restraining order and get back together with Ken. Penn was never seen again. One man stood to gain from Penn's disappearance, Ken Carpenter, but evidence was bleak, no blood, DNA, no body until detectives found notes hidden beneath the leather chair. It turned out to be a playbook for murder. The book we're featuring this evening is Notes on a Killing with my guest journalist and author, Kevin Flynn. Welcome to the program, and thank you for agreeing to this interview. Kevin Flynn, Dan.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. The Pleasure's Mind.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you very much. This is a really great story and you have written it with a lot of flare. So's get right to it. A question I asked often because it's very revealing without getting too much of the story away at all, which probably won't, But tell us why this was a story that you felt compelled to do. How did you come to write this story Notes on a Killing?
Speaker 4: A couple of things really come to mind, Dan, why I and my co author Rebecca Lavoy selected this story. One was that at the time of the case, I was a television reporter here in New Hampshire and I got assigned the story one day while it was still considered a missing person's case. And there's an extended passage in the middle of the book kind of detailing that one day that I spent on the case, just it stumbled across some evidence and you were able to do a little shoe leather journalism and figure out this mysterious address and the deep woods where nefarious things were going on and anyway, it was always for that reason a favorite story of mine. But you know, the thing that got Rebecca interested in the story was the tale of the victim in this case. Pen Meyer Penn was an extraordinary woman by all accounts, you know, really revered, almost you know, put on a pedestal by the folks in the area. She was a woman who came from great wealth, but did not necessarily live off of her family's largests. She lived very modestly in a house on a little lake in rural New Hampshire. She lived in the town of Goshen, and the lake was nicknamed the Goshen Ocean by the residents. Penn liked to, as you say, you know, sort of made her money by weaving fabrics and afghans and being a fiber artist, where she would sell her wares at local farmers' markets. She was always with her favorite dog, Fluff. She and Fluff went everywhere together, and that included the alcoholics, anonymous meetings that she attended. Although she was, you know, a free spirit and beloved by her friends, she also had her demons that she was working on. She was in recovery, and she was the kind of person who liked to help out her her friends, and she really extended herself and as we find out in the book, that is her undoing. Her kindness, her interest in her friends, her willingness to stand up for somebody in need, is how she ended up in the situation she was in.
Speaker 2: And she's, like you mentioned, an independent person, but sort of with the painted picture. She's a former. You describe her as a very stunning woman, very very pretty, athletic, very very you know, very pretty woman. And now that she's a little bit older, she still had that athleticism and had that the looks. She was still a very noticeable woman.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she was, you know, in her mid fifties, but she still had she was still very trim, very tone. Her skin was always very kind of brown from the sun. Because she would go out. She had she had a pretty strict routine, which was she would get up in the morning and go for a walk with her dog, Fluff, and in the wintertime. In the afternoon she'd go snowshowing, so she was always outside. She had a green thumb and loved to work in the garden and other people's gardens and local farms in her bare feet and get dirty. She had her own sort of interesting sense of style. She had these big bangles and bracelets that were very distinctive to her. So she still had a flair and she had a lot of personality, and to some extent you might say she was stubborn in this sense that she wasn't one who suffered fools lightly.
Speaker 2: I see now this community too, we're talking is this Newport, New Hampshire were talked about.
Speaker 4: Well, it's the closest city on any map would be a Newport. And I would like to say that the town that Penn was living in, Goshen, you couldn't find on a map that didn't have a considerable amount of detail. It's very easy to.
Speaker 2: Miss it.
Speaker 4: You know, we have a saying here in New England that when someone's asking for directions, you say, oh, well you can't get there from here, and and that's kind of true because you know on the maps you want to get from this town to that town but which you don't know is there's a mountain in the way in this lake and the road goes, you know, twenty miles in the opposite direction. So the county in which all this action takes place, Sullivan County, is a pretty small and rural you know, there is some some working farms, but it's mostly just sort of woods people living in very modest homes, sort of living a country kind of lifestyle in New England. And so Penn, you know, just kind of she comes from an industrial family of industrialists. She had lots of money, her relatives, her ancestors, came over on the Mayflower, but she didn't live that flashy lifestyle. She certainly, you know, I guess you could say she went native. She fit right in with the folks in New Hampshire and wore you know, very modest close and drove, you know, a Honda CRV and didn't drive a Cadillac. And although she really could have, you know, flaunted her wealth, she just kind of fit in.
Speaker 2: Now, had she been married, and for the purpose of this story, at this time in the story, she had a boyfriend, So tell us a little bit about what her marital status was over the years. And where she was currently.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she had been married twice before. She had been married when she was younger, had had three kids with her first husband, and she remained good friends with her first husband. He was vice president of a bank nearby. They had an amicable relationship. She had three grown kids, a son and two daughters, and she had gotten remarried around I mean thinks around two thousand and one or two thousand and two, and our story takes place in late two thousand and five, and her marriage, her second marriage, was on the rocks. Her husband was drinking too much, and of course she was in recovery, and so she, you know, wanted to get some support for that, for being the spouse of a problem drinker. And so she went to alan On, which is a very similar program to aas it really is for family members of folks who have an addiction and you know, how were you supposed to deal with that person? And it is here that she met another fellow whose name was Jonathan Puriic. Jonathan was about the same age as mid fifties. He had been married four times himself, and it took him, you know, the better part of his life to realize that that all of his relationships had fallen apart, and all of his career aspirations had fallen apart because of his drinking. And he finally got sober and you know it took to the program pretty well. And it's at this Allanon meeting that the two of them first meet. He is very taken by Pen, of course, because she's very charismatic. She when she walks into a room, she doesn't seem like everybody else. She's got this bright personality, this aura around her. So he's immediately attracted. And while they are you know, very close friends, while Penn's marriage is falling apart, they have a plutonic relationship. And it isn't until after Penn tells Jonathan that she is going to get a divorce that Jonathan asks her out and she says she would like that, but she's going to wait till the divorce is final, and Jonathan was a little put off, but then he realizes this is another part of her character that even though she's not, you know, going to stay in the marriage, she's true to avows and and that set a lot to him. So they once they once the divorce was final, she and Jonathan were a couple, and their relationship was very intense. They they felt very passionately about each other.
Speaker 2: Now with her second marriage, I believe to Richard Rank and or at some point she met a woman named Juanne dufour and Penn had out helped Juanne well, encouraged her basically made a much better job than when she had met her, and a job with benefits, and that encouraged the woman and she got that. Just wanted to introduced that was was she Did she meet Juanne during that second marriage or yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Think it was around that second marriage. They met through AA And you know, one of the ways that she would help if Joanne didn't have a car. I'm not quite certain whether or not she lost the car or as happens a bit, you know, she lost her license. But pen would, you know, give her rides everywhere. And you know, whether Joanne was expecting it or not, Penn would if she caught her walking on the road, she just pull up beside her and tell her to get in the car to take her wherever she wanted. And it's on a February day in two thousand and six where Penn is Joanne is waiting for Penn to come pick her up in the morning because she has a dentist appointment, and Pen does not arrive, and Joanne immediately knows that there's something wrong because if Pen were stuck somewhere, Penn would have called. If Pen were sick, she would have called. If Penn had gotten into an accident, was stuck in a ditch, she would have gone to somebody's house to call and say that she couldn't make it. So Penn not showing up for jo Anne to take her to that appointment was the first red flag that something was wrong.
Speaker 2: Now let's go back. I apologize for introducing her sort of a little bit of a out of order here, So let's get to another main character, Duanne. It's definitely a main character in this as well, but one of the more major characters is Sandra Sandy Merit. So let's introduce Sandy Merritt. Who is she and how did her and Pen meet and become friends?
Speaker 4: Well again, Penn met Sandy through AA. Sandy was what was referred to as a newbie. She had been in the program for less than a year. Sandy had her own demons to deal with is she had a dual diagnosis, which means not only did she have an addiction, but she had mental health issues. So she'd always struggled with her sobriety. But she had gotten into AA in the you know, in the in the area, uh and had been uh, you know, had been sticking with the program and doing well and and socializing with different people in the in the program, and you know, uh, Sandy was I should say, Pen was just friendly with Sandy and you know, kept an eye out for her and happened to notice that Sandy was, you know, getting herself into a pretty bad spot as far as her relationships go. And so Penn was keeping an eye on her about that.
Speaker 2: Well, what was it about the relationship that she was Sandy had confided in Pen about and what was exactly wrong with that relationship in Pen's.
Speaker 4: Mind, Well, the relationship that she that that Sandy had begun was with another guy in AA by the name of Ken Carpenter. Now everybody knew Ken in the AA meetings, as of course they all in this small community and the smaller, more intimate community of AA. But Ken was known very much as someone who could talk a good meeting. He really knew the platitudes of AA could talk to twelve steps out. Very charismatic in that setting. But Ken was married, and he was married to of course, and it seems another woman from AA.
Speaker 3: Wait, the Lucky landslopts. You can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 1: This is your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just going to circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky. Pay for free at Lucky landslipes dot com. Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: For just necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply.
Speaker 2: See website for details.
Speaker 4: Nurse by the name of Cynthia Harvey and every but he called her Harve for short. So Sandy was having h an affair with Ken. Ken had told Sandy that his relationship with Harve was was loveless. It was on its last legs that they, you know, were about to get a divorce. Uh. But this wasn't the case. Harv had no idea that Ken was saying this or feeling this. It was just some subterbute so that Ken could have a relationship with Sandy. Sandy confided some of you know, the complications of her relationship with Ken, which of course Ken wanted to keep a secret. Sand Sandy confided these with with Penn. Penn's first concern was, you know, she wasn't going to be judgy about whether or not, you know, Sandy should carry on with a married man, but she was very concerned that Ken, who had twenty plus years of sobriety, was dating a new beet because that is one of the foreboden things about the twelve step program is that if you're new to the program and you're dealing with your addiction, a new relationship, a sexual relationship, is not advisable because you really need, they believe, that first year to sort of find yourself. And in fact, it's called the thirteenth step that people should not AA members should not date other AA members during their first year of recovery. So, you know, Penn and Jonathan, who had been sober for a long time been in the program, that's you know, that consider that a different situation. But Ken should have known better than to be flirting, and you know, for lack of a better term, praying on Sandy. So you know, Penn was under you know, was under the same impression that Sandy was. That Ken and Harve had a very you know, a thin relationship, that was they were on the outs, and that a divorce of some kind of separation of some kind was eminent as soon as Ken could figure out, you know, the financials of it and how he could keep her her insurance and other things that could kind of just kind of stretch the relationship out for about ten months, so Penn knew that knew all of this, And it wasn't until Penn and Jonathan went to a party one evening that Ken was at with his wife, Harve, And when Penn arrived and saw Ken and Harve together as husband and wife, she realized that the story that Ken had been feeding Sandy all these months was a lie. They were most definitely together, or at the very least Harve had no idea that she was supposed to not be with Ken, and Ken, realizing that he'd been caught cornered Penn at the party, begged her not to say anything to Sandy, and uh, you know, Penn, what.
Speaker 2: Did she say? And what did she say? In response to that, well, she.
Speaker 4: Said she basically no, she wasn't gonna lie for him, and she you know, it was you know, we all kind of found surprising that you know, he's caught in this adulterous relationship and his thing isn't to say, don't tell my wife. His thing is to say, don't tell my girlfriend. And you know, they have been through the program together, they had these life skills and the first thing that Penn says is, you know you have to remember you know, uh, the fifth step uh, and you know the seventh step and this, you know the steps that's that say you have to you know, be be true and make amends to people. And you know, Ken's response was another AA platitude, which was you have to sweep your own side of the street, which in the program means you can't worry about what other people are doing. You have to focus on yourself. But the way he's saying, he's saying it is mind your own business. So about a week later, you know, Sandy learns the truth that she had been taken advantage of, and she breaks the relationship off with Ken, but it doesn't end there.
Speaker 2: Now, I wanted to ask this question because if this is one thing, you were very subtle in this regard, not very judgmental or anything. But it wasn't really clear whether Ken is a real playboy at these meetings, because again, he's been involved for a long time. He knows better, and Sandra is certainly not, you know, I mean in terms of she's more vulnerable, she's depressed, she's got more problems, and she's certainly not competition for or pen or anything in terms of looks or his own wife in terms of looks. So is he sort of a playboy? Is he picking out vulnerable women?
Speaker 4: Yeah? A couple of things going on there with Ken. I mean, he wasn't necessarily, you know, the most handsome guy. But you have to remember that they are in a group of people that have you know, hit rock bottom in that you know, in that term, and are rebuilding their lives, and they're very, very vulnerable and the experiences are something that are known to just just that handful of people. You know what it's like to go through that. So that kind of knowledge and experience is and mixed in with his charm is a very powerful thing. So that both men and women looked up to Ken, and Ken has the brain of an addict. He was an alcoholic, he had done drugs, he was sober it came to you know, those kinds of substances. But he was still an addict, and he was still acting out. And in the way that he was acting out was sexually. And he was a he had a predator's mind, and so that he could look around the room and you know, some people might call it bird dogging, but he was sizing up all the women in the room and trying to figure out who might I be able to hit on, who might I be able to you know, score with. And Sandy, who was extremely vulnerable to begin with, new to the program, had her own set of baggage, was somebody that was easy prey for him. And so that's one of the reasons why, you know, he was able to take such you know, thorough control of Sandy. You know, Sandy thought they were having a real relationship for for many, many months, you know, into some way, I think Ken believed it too, But it isn't until the relationship fell up. Part that Ken couldn't accept the fact that Sandy didn't want to be with him, couldn't accept the fact that for all of his powers of charm. For all of his ability to control people, he couldn't control Sandy and and Dan. I know you've seen these situations where there's a guy who says, look, if you know, if you don't want me, no one else can have you, and and take all their rage out on the former lover. Well, in this case, because of the way his mind works, Ken didn't see the problem as being as Sandy. He saw the problem as Penn. Pen was the interloper. Penn was the one who helped Sandy get out of the relationship. Pen is the person that is keeping them apart. And if he could somehow convince Penn to change her mind or to get Pen out of the way, then he could resume his relationship with Sandy. That's how he thought.
Speaker 2: Now, well, why did he believe did Sandy confide in him to say that this was her best friend and she always spoke to Penn and Penn was the kind of person that could talked her into this and talk to her to that. How was he so confident that it was her friend Pen and not someone else that was close to her.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, one of the things was you know, in in the in the weeks after the breakup. You know, there is almost you know, textbook stalking behavior where he's calling Sandy and he's leaving flowers at Sandy's house and and showing up at work, and and and approaching her at AA meetings and her and bothering her. It comes to the point where Sandy says that she needs to get a restraining order. Uh and and so in order to do that, she had to basically take Ken to court, and she needed people to testify on her behalf about you know, some of the behavior uh and Uh. The first person to testify was Penn. Penn came to Sandy's defense in the civil courtroom and basically explained the kind of behavior that, uh, that Ken had uh displayed. You know, there was this sort of this odd little, odd little anecdote that happened around Thanksgiving, where which is about the time of the breakup. Apparently, you know, Sandy and Ken originally had plans to go to Penn's house for Thanksgiving, and then after the breakup, of course, uh, you know, Sandy went and there was an extra place at the table, so she brought a friend of hers who they were they were school friends, but he was you know, he just joined the program and uh so he was a newbie too, and it wasn't a romantic thing. But they Jonathan and Penn's family, they all had Thanksgiving together. Uh uh. And when when Ken Carpenter found out that that Sandy still went to Pen's house and that his his his seat at the table was taken by another man arrival, in his mind, he became angry with Penn and you know, blamed Penn for trying to set up Sandy with uh, you know, with another guy. I mean, everybody sort of in aa that that at the end it knew that Ken and Sandy had his relationship, was trying to tell Ken that, you know, you got to back off. And you know, there are all sorts of reasons why you shouldn't have had this relationship in the first place. One you're married to she's a newbie, so you know, it wasn't a secret that Penn was an advocate for Sandy and and so that made her a target. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now let's talk about where Sandra or Sandy works. And she's a big, you know, a big pet lover, and so is Pen. Pen has a little dog named Fluff. And this is they're inseparable and Sandra, I guess this is part of their friendship as well. Sandra is involved with taking care of animals as a occupation, so tell us a little bit more about her occupation, and because pets are important in this in this story to a great degree.
Speaker 4: I think yes. And Andy, you know, is a dog person. You know, one of her jobs was, you know, to be a dog walker, you know, so you can imagine her with you know, a fist full of leashes and you know, ten unruly dogs of different sizes. And at the time of our story, she's working at a kennel called the the Animal Inn. And when she gets there every morning for a thing she has to do is she's got to feed the dogs. And so if you know, if you can imagine how that scene can play, how loud it is inside the kennel where you have a dozen or so dogs who are hungry, and the first person shows up in the morning who we're going to feed them. So that's a very chaotic time to be a worker there. And you know this is probably this is about seven point thirty in the morning, and on this one particular morning, as Sandy's trying to feed the dogs, the telephone rings and she picks up the phone and it's Pen. Sandy was a little confused why Pen would be calling. Pen knows not to call that early because she's feeding the dogs and it's very loud, and obviously, you know, on the other end of the phone, she can hear the dogs barking. So Sandy's having a hard time concentrating. But what Pen tells Sandy when she picks up the phone is that she says, you know, I was wrong. I was wrong about Ken. You need to go to the court and get the restraining or lifted, and you have to get back together with him. And of course, now Sandy like very confused because obviously, you know, Pen had been her biggest advocate. She went to court, got the restraining order. When Ken eventually broke the restraining order and started and was going to be facing criminal charges, you know, Penn was still there for Sandy as an advocate. So now for Sandy, now for Pen to tell Sandy that she's wrong and that she was mistaken and that she really should get back together with Ken, was very confusing. Penn went on to say that you know what would be best for her, what best for Sandy to do would be to uh, you know, get back together with with Ken and and then move into Penn's house and to to stay there and take care of the dog and you know, start a life together with Penn, with with Ken there. And last thing she said was that you know, she was going to be going out of town and she might not be back for a while. Sandy, of course, doesn't know what to make this phone call. It's very chaotic with the dogs barking. She says, you know, can I call you back at lunchtime? And she hangs up the phone and Penn is never heard from again after that phone call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the thing is, though she doesn't you don't really put in the book whether she noticed the tone to be insincere, but certainly the language and the content are totally out of character given you know, her encouragement for the exact oppicer or what she was now saying on the phone. She also included I pushed you, I was jealous of you. He really loves you. As his only crime. I will send you a letter outlining all the ways I've manipulated you.
Speaker 4: In this regard.
Speaker 2: And so it was very very odd in terms of the content. You outline most of the other stuff that this does not sound like the kind of language that Penn would use at all, period. And then you know, going to tell the you know, recommending to her friend, go back to the judge and tell her it was an all a mistake. And so from that she decides to to call her back because there's this bombshell. Tell us what happens next about later in the day when she tries to contact Sanader tries to contact her friend Penn.
Speaker 3: Hello, it is Ryan, and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting her steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games that you can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's you brighten your day, Lowe actually a lot, So sign up now at Chumbuck casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 1: No necessary day lost In terms conditions eighteen.
Speaker 4: Plus, Sandy is weaving messages at Penn's house and Pen is not responding as you recall joe Anne due for who was you know, waiting to get a ride to the dentist? Pen? Does I show Penn? Excuse me? Joe Anne calls Penn's boyfriend, Jonathan Uh and Jonathan was at work, and you know he's he you know, was obviously very concerned, and he said, you know, I will stop by having a meeting to go to, you know, a twelve step meeting to go to after work. After that, I'm going to go by Penn's house and and see what's up. He thought maybe she was ill or or something like that. So later that evening, Jonathan is, you know, one of the first is there at the house. It smells like paint in the house because there had been some house painters that had come later in the day to do some work. The dog was still there, Fluff was still in the house, but Pen was not, which was very very concerning to him because though those two were inseparable, you know, Penn would take Fluff with her to the farmer's market and to the grocery store and to AA meetings, and the dog would wait in the car and if it was too cold, she wouldn't go. And so the idea that it's the middle of winter, there's a snowstorm coming, the dog is alone in the house. Pen isn't there. It dawns on Jonathan that, you know that something terrible has happened. When he plays Penn's phone messages on her answering machine. There are several messages from Sandy who you know, saying, you know, we need to talk about the bombshell that you dropped on me this morning. And so Jonathan calls Sandy. When he finds out what the message was about, what the original phone call was about, this whole thing about go back to Ken, move into the house. Jonathan immediately realizes, no, no, Penn would never say that. Sandy said, well she did, Jonathan said, no, she would never say that. You don't get it. He was here, Ken was here making her say that. And now she's gone and he took her.
Speaker 2: So now what is he What does he do? Now he's convinced that Ken Carpenter has everything to do with this.
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: And and so what's his next?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: What does response? What does he do next?
Speaker 4: Oh? Well, he you know, he calls the state police. Uh. And you know, living in this tiny corner of Sullivan County, it takes an hour for a trooper to get there.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: And you know, he takes some information and the and the troopers very concerned, but he needs to immediately go off to another call, kind of leaving Jonathan alone in this big house of Penn's with the dog and his own thoughts. And so he you know, he starts calling around. Uh, and so he starts calling looking for Ken. Uh. He calls Ken's house, Uh, leaves some messages, finally gets a hold of Harve. Harve tells Jonathan that you know right now that she and Ken are going through some issues and Ken is staying someplace else and leave her alone and slams the phone down on him.
Speaker 2: He does in response, that's in response to though that he's leaving messages right away, and he's been criticize a little bit later we'll talk about that, but he's leaving messages right away that to insinuate or intimate or whatever you want to say, that Ken Carpenter is involved somehow. So that's why to explain how his wife, who's oblivious to everything, is sort of concerned, Why are you leaving these kinds of messages on my phone?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean, he was very angry. Of course, he was very sure in his heart that he knew this because he could, he says later, he could see it coming, the animosity that Ken was building towards Penn. There was an incident at a month earlier where after a meeting, Penn got home and realized that Ken had followed her all the way home, and when they got out of their cars, you know, Ken just said, I just need to talk to Sandy. Can you get a message to Sandy? And Penn says, go away. Well, Jonathan realizes later that that was a dry run for Ken. It was his his first attempt at killing Penn, but he couldn't do it at that moment. He had to come up with another plan. So he knows. Jonathan in his heart knows that it's Ken, although there's no evidence at the time of that, and the house is spotless, there's no blood, there's no sign of a struggle. Other than Pen, there's really nothing else missing, and you know, that's peculiar to the police. Of course, they know that Penn likes to, you know, hike in the woods, and you know they're can they can't rule out the fact that she, you know, went out for a hike in the morning and you know, tripped over a log and is uh, you know, in need of medical assistance somewhere, or that she you know, decided to run off and join the circus. You know. They also can't get a hold of her second husband, Richard Rankin, for some reason. They're calling him and he's nowhere to be found. So they're very concerned about that. And Jonathan, of course, as the boyfriend, just sort of naturally would be a suspect in his lover's disappearance. So to everybody else, there's still a lot of investigation to do. But to Jonathan, he knows in his heart it's Ken Carpenter's responsible for Penn's disappearance.
Speaker 2: He's pretty sure, but he's also pretty paranoid. You also put that in the book. He's pretty paranoid when he can't get a hold of the former husband. Fitted had only been six months or so since they had been divorced. So so, well, this is the person that's pretty sure it's Carpenter, but he's also pretty paranoid as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean you can imagine this, Yeah, you can imagine, you know, what he was going through at the time where the love of his life is missing. He feels helpless, also feels scared. I mean, even though he really thinks that, you know, that it's Jonathan. Excuse me that Jonathan thinks that it's Ken. You know, he has he has no guarantee that, you know, if Ken's a killer, that Ken isn't going to come after him too. So there's a So he spends you know, several days, you know, going from couch to couch and hiding, you know, in different homes because he just doesn't know what Ken is up to.
Speaker 2: And he also enlists his friend that had originally come to the house with him, the guy stayed in the vehicle, but an old friend, and he gets that friend to come over and stay at Penn's house with him. And these guys are they say, jeez, I don't have a gun, and so they sleep on. So it really taken the reader into the story where you know, it becomes real serious. He doesn't know what what Ken Carpenter is capable of.
Speaker 4: So yeah, exactly, and you know I think that that's sort of uh, you know, foreshadows, uh, the way the rest of the investigation plays out. It's it's a little dark, and Ken Carpenter, you know, obviously has this sort of preternatural influence over everything that ends up happening.
Speaker 2: Now the police initially when when Jonathan actually gets to speak to Ken Carpenter and accuses of him being involved, and Ken hangs up on him and says, listen, I already spoke to the police. You haven't a book. It's a mystery whether that's even true. And we find out a little bit later on or by this time, that the police had contacted him, but only by telephone and that's them about Penn and he denied any wrongdoing. Obviously, tell us about the first time the police actually speak with Ken Carpenter and what does he have to say.
Speaker 4: Well to New Hampshire State Police officers visited Ken Carpenter's home the following day and the day after Sandy has last heard from, and you know, there had been a good couple of inches of snow around and Ken was outside with this snowblower and the you know, clearing a path in his front yard and the troopers pull up and you know, absolutely no reaction from Ken, which is odd because I think most people, you know, when they see a police car stop at their home, you know, or at least gonna wonder what the situation is. So these two uniform troopers talk to Ken. Ken is at first, you know, very angry that Jonathan has implicated him in Pen's disappearance, uh and and complains litterally to the troopers about that. But once he gets that out of his system, he is uh, you know, calm and appears to be helpful with the troopers, telling them a little bit about you know, what does he know about Pen? He says he hasn't really seen Pen. They know each other through AA and other than that, I couldn't say. And while they're they're there, they noticed that there's a smell of smoke that he's been burning brush. Uh And they also notice a you know, a metal barrel, a small thirty gallon metal barrel that had been on the back of a pickup truck sort of dragged through the snow and dumped off to the side. You know, he's obviously doing some work. Ken lets him look around the property, look at the cars he's seen to have you know, really just sort of gone along and been cooperative. But one of the things that he tells them, because they want to know, well, where were you yesterday, about the time Penn was last seen. He said, I had gone up and I'd gone snowshoeing, and I went snowshoeing, you know, at the local golf course, you know, because the big open area and I'd like to snowshoe there. So after that, the troopers drove over to the golf course and fresh blanket of snow and no snow tracks, snowshoe tracks anywhere. So they know that Ken has a problem with his alibi, and so now they are honed in on him.
Speaker 2: Now, has there been any has there been any other suspects whatsoever, or any other people that they questioned. Obviously they have the the father of the three children, and he comes in contact with the state police initially and is very cooperative, and of course he has a good alibi. Is there any other focus at all for the state police other than can Carpenter?
Speaker 4: Yeah, one of the things that they do. You know, Penn was a community advocate. She was always taking up causes. They looked into the possibility, well, she opposed, you know, the expansion of the local ski resort. You know, could possibly somebody involved in that project want to eliminate Pen And they don't seem there doesn't seem to be a lot of juice behind that kind of thought. The only other person that sort of seemed to fit the bill, the only other person that you know, he would seem to have an axe to grind against Penn is a Penn's second husband, her recently divorced husband, Richard Rankin. And police are very concerned because, like I said, he's not home, so they don't know where Penn is, and they don't know where Richard is, and you know, they're concerned that he's got her someplace or that he's killed her, and and is you know, on the lamb. It is until you know, a couple of days later that Richard contacts the police. He had been in Florida, he had gone there for the winter, and he had just heard the news that Penn was missing. And you know, he was able to show with his credit card receipts and whatnot that he'd been in Florida all along. So with that guy crossed off the suspect list, the only person left was Kenneth Carpenter.
Speaker 2: Now I'm a bit confused. When did police find a bone fragment in the fire pit?
Speaker 4: Well that that happened about a week after Penn disappeared. Investigators were very very interested in Ken Carpenter. They wanted to talk to him some more. They asked him to come to the police station for an interview that they tape recorded, and again Ken, you know, denied any involvement. They questioned him a little further about his alibi about the snow shoes and the golf course, and he said, oh, I'm a mistaken I was actually at the high school and not at the golf course. He could have remembered earlier a lot of what he had done that day, but then he remembered that he had gotten in his car and driven into the next state of Massachusetts, and spent some time and then drove back, and he had sort of a you know, a very kind of thin telling of his day the day that that Pen disappeared. So the detective Sean Scahan, you know, conducted this interview and continued to listen to the tape of the interview to try to, you know, find holes in it. And then the next day there was an anonymou telephone call placed to the police department, and Detective Skyhand happened to be there and picked up the phone, and he immediately recognized this voice as Ken Carpenter because he had been listening to the voice for you know, hours. And the anonymous caller said that you don't have to worry about Pen. She's fine. I dropped her off at the airport and you know, implying that that's why she's missing. She's gone out of town. On the caller wouldn't say who he was, but he did say Penn left something at the payphone at the general store and then hung up. So police were very puzzled at this. The general store was right next to the police station. They ran down and sure enough, underneath the payphone vestibule was a plastic bag which was taped underneath the payphone with orange duct tape. When they took the tape off, they took the bag got they found inside a little envelope. Inside the envelope was a key. The key was to a safety safe deposit box to a local bank. So the investigators went to the bank, used the key on penn safe deposit box and found her passport inside, so they knew Penn did not go to run off to the islands. Her passport was there. And then of course they're extremely curious, as you know, why would a cop I wass you mean, why would somebody, you know leave this key around. In the meantime, they're they're tapping the phone of uh, you're not tapping, but they have permission from Sandy to record telephone calls between her and Ken, and Ken keep saying stuff like I spoke to God and we're gonna find out in three days why you know, Penn disappeared. And they can tell on the telephone calls if that Ken is using Pen's disappearance as a way to get back with Sandy, you know, trying to can Sandy that they should get together and go look for Penn. All of this stuff sort of leads the cops to believe that that Ken is, you know, somewhat behind the problem here Pen's disappearance. So they get a warrant and they go out to Ken's home in the woods. He lives in a little cabin deep in the woods. It's a February evening and there's an old fashioned Nor'easter coming through. It's a blizzard. They can't get down the road to the cabin. They need a snowplow to come out, especially for them. The state troopers pull up at the cabin. It's empty. They go around looking for pen. They crawl in a back window. They don't find any sign of pen get any sign of a struggle, any sign of blood. But outside is that fire pit that was there the first time they visited, and the fire is still kind of smoldering. And when invest gators looked into the embers of the fire pit, they were able to find something that looked like a piece of bone. And so they realized then that they had found where ped Meyer wound up.
Speaker 2: Now, in all of this, it was interesting is that when he was having this torret affair with Sandra Merritt, his wife thought he was at home. So Ken would go over to her apartment on her brother's property and they would watch CSI. Their favorite program was CSI, so Monday and Thursday they would watch CSI Crime Scene Investigation. And I wanted to ask, Once this police had Ken Carpenter in their sights, they must have looked to his wife for whatever information she might have about her husband, possible alibi, or anything else about as a character that might help them in the prosecution in that regard, What did she have to say? This suddenly very very surprised and angered woman, no doubt. What did she have to say? And it was she in any aid whatsoever to police.
Speaker 4: That's a very good question, because Harve ran hot and cold with the investigators. Remember that despite everything that he was accused of, Ken still had had a knack for controlling people, his wife included. When she discovered the affair with that Ken had with Sandy, she was crushed, but she started to rationalize that this wasn't Ken's fault, this was Sandy's fault, and so she was going to commit herself to God and to get Ken back. So she stayed by Ken's side through the restraining order process, and then after even after he's arrested for Penn's homicide, she sticks with him and she visits him, and she makes a lot of telephone calls to him in the jail, telephone calls that are recorded. Ken is trying to tell, you know, Harv to like, don't say something stupid, don't ask me a dumb question because it's being recorded. And and Harv, you know, wanted to believe Ken. Uh I wanted to believe Ken, that that.
Speaker 2: He was innocent.
Speaker 4: Harve was a nursing student, and so when she was in class, they would talk about bones, and then she realized that, you know, they only found a small amount of bones in that fire pit, and that you know, Penn, even though she was a small person, that there's that bone, that the bone should have been, you know, falling out of that that fire pit. They should have been overflowing. So she kept asking Ken, you know what was what? And so Ken eventually told her this is several months later, uh spring has you know, winter's gone? Spring is there? Said to go out into you know, the tree line of the property. And she went found this hollow stump and found some matter, some debris that was inside it. It was more bones and Penn's distinctive jewelry. So Harp thought about it, and she did call the police, and she was helpful to the police. And there are the times when she wouldn't be where she She was, you know, kind of resentful of the police and didn't want to cooperate and would still do things that that Ken asked her to do, like five if they she found some notebooks with some of his writing in it, so she burned that so the police wouldn't get it. But then another time she found some letters that Ken that were hidden away in the attict, and she turned those over to the to the police. And you know, on these recorded telephone calls, Penn, who's sort of struggling with what the truth is, really acts as the best cross examiner of Ken Carpenter because she's angry, she wants to know what's going on. One of the things that Ken uses to keep control over over Heart is to try to convince her that he's innocent and that the reason he's being so secretive is because he's protecting her. There is a third person, the real killer is a guy by the name of Phil. And this Phil is someone that Ken had never seen before. But Phil said he I know your problem and I know how to take care of it, and that when he that's uh. That that that Ken left Penn alone with Phil, and when Ken came back, Pen was gone and Phil said, keep that fire going. Harve believed that she wanted to believe. Every time she met somebody named Phil, she freaked out, thinking this might be that Phil. But after a while, you know, she started to question whether or not Phil existed. And you know, Ken's description of Phil kept changing. You know, he would be first, he was the same height and clean shaven, and then he had a beard, and then he was bald, and then he wasn't And and Harve was, you know, the one who is the hardest on him, really trying to get him to, you know, out of the truth. At one point she says, if this is your alibi, you gotta you know, you got to keep it straight. So Harv, you know, like you said, Harv ran hot and cold. But ultimately she was she was helpful to the investigation if for no other reason she acted like any other wife would and not take any bologne from her husband. And and would you know, get to the bottom of it.
Speaker 2: So not to give too much away, we alluded to these very very crucial notebooks, Notes on a killing, which is the title of the book. This would be largely a circumstantial case. Don't don't give us too much. I'm going to leave the audience hanging for a change. But where was the what was the crucial evidence that the prosecution felt well, or what was the theory that the prosecution put forward on why this crime occurred? And what was their crucial evidence?
Speaker 4: Well, their theory was, of course that Ken Carpenter viewed penn Meyer as an obstacle to his relationship with Sandy, and that Penn had to be eliminated in order for the affair to resume. And one of the things that Ken did was as a fan of CSI and the other police procedurals, he thought he knew how cops did things, and he knew about evidence, and that he could do, you know, what he needed to do to get away with the murder, and he was trying to get His goal was to get Penn to convince Sandy to get back together with him, and so in order to do that, he needed to with words in her mouth. And four weeks before Pen's disappearance, Ken basically planned it out rough drafts and based in scripts and scripts for what Pen should say, and which is why that phone call. The language, the content was so distinctive. It was completely unlike Pen, but everything like Ken. Carpenter and investigators when they were combing Ken Carpenter's house there was a red leather chair and they happened to take the cushion off and they found a little blue notebook and as they went through all the different pages they saw Ken Carpenter had spent weeks planning the death of Pen. Meyer and it was complete with, you know, with a script for her to follow that she probably followed with a gun to her head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very very very interesting case and twists. We won't talk about the trail at all because you would think it would be a slam dunk, but of course it's not, and so we'll leave our audience at that very very very fascinating tale. Other than Notes on a Killing, I wanted to ask what other books you have you authored or co authored in the true crime genre.
Speaker 4: Notes Not a Killing is my fourth book. My first was Wicked Intentions, which came out in two thousand and eight. It's about a female serial killer by the name of Sila Labar who lived on a horse farm, you know in rural New Hampshire. It would lure men to her farm and use them for sex, and then when she was done, she would dismember the bodies and burned them in a fire pit. So you're starting to see there's a theme here with some of these books. I seemed to be coming back around again. The other two books were written by myself and Rebecca Lavoy. One of those was called Our Little Secret, which is about a man named Danny Paquette, who was working in his backyard and was killed by a stray bullet on the first day of hunting season, and some of the cops thought it was a hunting accident. But twenty years later they arrested a guy who had been at the time of the shooting seventeen years old and who had never met Ken carp excuse me, never met Danny Pockett, and everybody in town knew that this guy had pulled the trigger, and he had done it because Danny Poncette was a child in the lester And so for twenty five years people in the town knew who did it, but kept the secret because they thought he had it coming. The other book we've written is called Legally Dead. It's about an attorney who goes through a very rough divorce. He tries to drive his ex wife crazy so that he can get the kids and stop having to pay her any money. He tries to drive her to commit suicide. He terrorizes her, he hires thugs to harass her, to slash her tires. When none of that works, he puts a pipe bomb in her mailbox to try to scare her, and then eventually one day she just disappears. And investigators don't know where she's gone, but there's a conspiracy around how she disappeared in a real rogues gallery of people who you know were involved. So all the books take place in New England and they all have a rich cast of characters.
Speaker 2: Certainly, and and Uh, if the people are compelled to do so, do you have a website that they might go to? Or obviously you're on Facebook, but tell us how fans can contact.
Speaker 4: You if they are so compelled, Dan, they could reach out to us at UH. The website is author Kevin Flynn dot com. We're on Facebook and Twitter. We try to stay pretty active talking about the latest stuff going on crime around the country.
Speaker 2: And you're on Facebook as well, Facebook Friends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're Facebook again, it's Kevin and yeah, and we're tweeting and you know, and the instagramming and whatever else, you know, we gotta do these days, you know, iTunes, I don't know, whatever whatever it takes to get to these the true crime fans, because they are great, They're very loyal, They love the they love the stories, and we hope we give them something to enjoy.
Speaker 2: Before we go to UH, I just wanted to ask what was what's your partnership. Like with Rebecca Lavoy, what's what's her role? I mean, obviously you don't do exactly the same thing. Just tell us a little bit about Rebecca Lavoy and her role in in these books.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess for disclosure, I should say Rebecca and I are now married, So I guess they'd say that she's the boss, you know, good as. But the way two people write is you know, i'd say, well, you know, it's it's like it's like your husband and wife moving a couch, you know. They sometimes it's it's good, sometimes it's not so good. Like basically, I will, you know, write the first draft. I'll sort of map out the arc of the story and put in the facts, you know, kind of p with the bones down, and Rebecca comes by, puts all the muscle on it, brushes up on the pros. So that's the way we work. Sometimes it's like, you know, well, you know that person, that character, you know you should do those interviews, you should write about her because you know for some reason. But mostly that's the that's the uh, the way that the assignments get doled out.
Speaker 2: Well, it's great, sounds like a great partnership. Obviously is a great partnership. So I want to thank you.
Speaker 4: It's a great partnership. Yes, well I.
Speaker 2: Say so too, So there you go. I want to thank you very much Kevin for a great interview. People have been listening to Kevin Flynn notes on a killing. I want to thank you very much, Kevin. Then hope to speak to you again about another one of your fine books.
Speaker 4: So I have a great idea you can have. You can have us on any time. We uh we love your podcast.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, thank you very much. You have a great evening and thanks once again. Good night.
Speaker 1: Su