Speaker 1: This is the In This League Fantasy Podcast network, In This League Fantasy Baseball podcast online at in This League dot Com. Now here's your host, Bogman and the Welsh.
Speaker 2: What is a friend Oza. Welcome back to the In This League Fantasy Baseball podcast with Bogman and the Welsh. We are back in the baseball primers. We are doing second base today. Primers to us. We are literally sitting here kind of going through the process of you know how anybody is going to break down players literally if you know, I'm riding for the Fantasy Black Book. I go through, look through the savant find different areas that are going to jump up of interest. So we might stumble upon some interesting things today as we are going through the second base position again our primer to this whole bad boy and happy to speak to you all. Mister Bogman, how do you feel about the Dodgers signing another two hundred almost two hundred million dollar player and maybe we won't get into a whole disgusting defertive contracts, don't pay luxury tax, gaming the system conversation, But how about those Dodgers Blake Snell now.
Speaker 3: A Dodger, I mean at least we get to hate him. You know, that's I'm back to hating him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like he was kind of like lovable, Like I shared my picture with the with the what was it when he was of the Padres and then you know the Giants. He really stunk and you know, like there were a lot of redeeming factors. Straight hate. We're back into that voice that I do with Blake Snell victory.
Speaker 3: Oh, I got to get paid.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Did you see I did a Uh, I did a short for Fantasy Pros. We're trying to, you know, do more baseball content, and I came up with this idea, well not like an idea, but I was like, hey, listen, we should do like social shorts for the big signings. And then Blake Snell signs last night and then I'm like, okay, I'll do it. I'll write it and then i'll do it the next day. And I was like, you know what, I'm gonna do it tonight and I put the impression in and then when I sent it to all the editors, I was like, I did a Blake Snell impression. Leave it, don't take it out. Leave it in there because they don't probably understand it. Yeah, but you're gonna leave my impression of Blake snow. So I started off the short with a oh man, I got hyted man. Unfortunately that was actually due. That was like one of the first comments someone posted because I posted the picture of me instill. Yes, no, it wasn't. It was some some random person was just like they did the hydrated comment all time favorite thing. But yeah, no, he's definitely now in the hated range because he's a Dodger, and you know, kudos to them for just having amazing book makers who know exactly how to get people to come to defer state taxes, to defer luxury taxes, to keep you know, everything financially set. But from the fantasy perspective, it's I. I ended the short to say it's the best destination he could go for his fantasy value. And he had the tail of two seasons where it was like he didn't he wasn't in spring training really awful the first part of the year. He was dominant one point four or five ERA in the second half in his last twelve starts five to zero. Record. Dude at a career high strikeout percentage this past year thirty four point seven percent K percentage. And now he's going to go be a Dodger with run support of Shoho, Tawny, Mookie Bets, Freddy Freeman the defensive support. It's crazy. And there's a couple decent hitter or pitcher kind of environments. You know you're going to be pitching. I mean, he's trying to collect all the nls. By the way, he's never going to be a Rocky or a Diamondback. Maybe he's thirty eight, you know, he's thirty six, he can be a Diamondback. When he's thirty nine, he can be a Rocky and collect the whole set. But like, you know, there's some there's some environments in there that he's going to do well. It's just like, what do you say. It's an incredible destination for him, and he's gonna rank even higher now I think in sp ranks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's great. Yeah, it's awesome. I love it. Prog Uh Yeah, I mean it is a really good spot for fantasy. And I mean, are they gonna let him throw the ball a little bit more and go deeper into games? You'd think now that he signed a long term deal, maybe a team would be more willing to let him go. Obviously last year he had the whole you know, Scott wars thing, not you know, no, not signing until after You don't think he's I mean, he has been bad when he gets to that point.
Speaker 2: No, But I think they've openly said, like they want to do a six man rotation this year. If you're going to do a six man rotation, get Blake Snell. They let it.
Speaker 3: He would. If he's gonna do a six man rotation, it should allow you to let those starters go a little bit longer because they get the extra day.
Speaker 2: But he did. But see, like, okay, so you're saying per game, not on the season, because that's where like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah's all on the season, and I.
Speaker 2: Just per game he did. July eighth, he had the no hitter. He went not so well.
Speaker 3: That was his first time pitching into the ninth inning ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to the ninth But check this out. Here are his games pass. How many games he had past the six inning this year? One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven of six or higher. That's amazing for Blake Snell. And past the sixth inning he had I think it's four in the seventh and one in the ninth. So I mean, like he finally pushed that boundary of going deeper into games, and all of that he had twenty starts, only went like one hundred innings. They're gonna do like a six man type of rotation. They're gonna probably let him go seven and he's still gonna chalk up like maybe one hundred and eighty innings. I think this is the perfect I mean, the only bad thing but he doesn't do it anyways, would be that he's not They're not gonna probably allow him on a six manter rotation if they do fully commit to that to going like two hundred plus innings. But he doesn't do that anyways. Like you get one hundred and seventy five innings out of Blake Snell, you're jumping for joy with that run support and because right now it's him, you have a Moto Glass now Otani and then you they're probably gonna sign Kershaw back, and then you've also got May, maybe Sasaki. You've got May, and then you've got Tony Gonsolin. So like between that, they're gonna run six out every single week. I don't know, dude, Like they might piggyback o Tawny with let's say, like Dustin May and then you've got Kershaw and Gonsolin, Like I think Snell will be one of the few guys on that team that goes deep into the physical game but just doesn't get like, you know, he's gonna have a few less starts than other guys, and.
Speaker 3: Who cares if he needs to skip a start or whatever because they have so many guys. I the one good thing that I think is coming from this is this not just the nl wes that hates the Dodgers now. Now it's everybody. Now it's the Dodgers versus the world. So that is kind of that's kind of making me a little bit happier. Here.
Speaker 2: Definitely is a little bit of contingency online though, of people that are like, what is itybody really just hate the Dodgers And it's just like, shut up, dude, just everybody hate the Dodge unless your Dodger fan. Zip it. Like I don't want to hear your excuses about blah blah blah, Like it's dumb, it's stupid, And there is a megor Bob behind the whole thing, Like you and I had this big thing behind before the show of you know, it's not just deferred money, it's gaming the luxury tax and uh, you know the California tax thing. They're like, yeah, well defer all your money until you move out of state, so.
Speaker 3: Your tax out of Well, I think the bottom line there is it's just not good for parody in the game, you know. And look, MLB doesn't want parody. They want the teams in New York, in Chicago and LA to win a.
Speaker 2: Million dollars and then they want Miami to spend thirty million dollars in their day.
Speaker 3: They don't want the d Backs and the Rockies and the Marlins in the Rays in the playoffs. Those they're small markets. They want the big markets in the playoffs. So well, I get it, but it is, uh, you know, it's aggravating to the rest of the fan base that isn't Dodger fans.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean, Diamondbacks don't belong that conversation anymore because they are a top twenty market and they're spending almost two hundred million dollars on there.
Speaker 3: The top twenty market, there's thirty teams, so you know, I mean, uh, it's yeah, they're mid payroll.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, we can argue about it, like I'm just saying, like they're not like the Rockies, but to your point, like they were, they've been seen as a small market team. They're not because they they spend a boatload, but they're still not spending what the Dodgers and the Red Sox and the Yankees and stuff are doing. And that's due to more than ever, it's not due to baseball rules. It's due to the person that owns the team like that, like Steve Cohen will just go out and spend every dollar because he's twenty billion dollars and it's like, that's not good for the game when the owner outside of it is the breaker, not like some type of cap. And again, it just doesn't matter. But it kind of all jumped out with Blake Snell signing because it's a super team. The Dodgers are a super team. But for fantasy, it's gonna be very interesting talking about him in the sp ranks because you know, if you if you were comfortable with what the bad of the beginning of the year was, where it's like he didn't get to play spring training and he struggled, and you can like cross that out of your eye and you only see what he was when he was good to go. I mean, that's going to be a top five sp and Fantasy Baseball. But like, if he gets back into his bad ways, or maybe he really is just going to be tail of two sides, you know, then maybe it's gonna be a little bit overblown while also only pitching like once a week. But hey, man, first domino has dropped as we are recording this. Many more Dominoes seem to be on the way with big trades and whatever. And yeah, lava cakes.
Speaker 3: What's the reference Dominoes? You just said Dominoes. What is Domino's pizza?
Speaker 2: Oh, Domino's pizza. I was like, what does the game of Dominoes have to do with it? You're saying Dominoes.
Speaker 3: I'm not Yeah, you're also not a puzzle guy either. You're not putting these pieces together at all. Not man. Sorry, that was like, I don't know, I'm a skinny guy now, I don't know about domino.
Speaker 2: I've never had a Domino's lava cake. I know you you know the inner workings of the pizza industry, but I don't know what a lava cake?
Speaker 3: What is a lava cake is just it's just a cake with fudge, yeah, with lava in the middle of right, everyone lives in their mouth. It's actually called the hot Pocket.
Speaker 2: Let's send it to Blake Snell. Then, oh man, this is hot.
Speaker 3: It's really hot. Man's actual lava gonna cost me my whole contract to fix my mouth now, man, oh man.
Speaker 2: Dude drives it like a Bugatti too. By the way, his car is so ridiculous. Is it bake so it's like a Bugatti or it's it's some it's some insane looking car, like a lot of guys just drive like nice expensive cars. His is this like like it's like I don't even know how to describe it, like gray with like lights under it, Like it's very Paul wall esque. But you know that's that's blaky. That's Nelly for you. All right, let's get into it. It is second base primer. Again. These are not ranks, though we will be going off of n FBC, just just like in how they're being drafted in kind of the order that we're going to talk about them. And it's also you know, good for you guys to understand the early reference of where these guys are going. But this isn't based on are necessarily built around us talking about like this is who we are going to hundred percent have and these are the ranks. No, we're going to be going through this where this is part of the process. We are going to be telling you positionally about what we're finding on the guys. We'll have some fun with it, and we will do it right after this. I swear to God, I'll pistol whip the next guy that says.
Speaker 1: In this league, Hey, Barva, what's the name of that restaurant you like? Of all the Mazirella stif me in this league?
Speaker 2: All right, second base again, n FBC will be kind of the gauge of where we're going to talk about these guys. And it is very nice to say, you know, there's some guys that are going to kind of be leaving the position as well. I feel like it's been a little bit bear with me girth here, if you will. From a positional standpoint, it's funny. It doesn't have to mean that. I'm just saying it was, you know, it was built a little bit stronger.
Speaker 3: Very moist. Position is very vainy.
Speaker 2: Though I will say that this is probably been a very long standing like every time we're like ooh hard standing. No, No, it's not like we're always kind of doing this where it's like, oh, yeah, you know, second base isn't great. Already saw the discourse going on in the spay, Oh second base is bad. And then you get like the deep league NFC guys that are like, well it's a matter, and it's like, okay, dude, well you're drafting fifty rounds. But from a starting perspective you could probably get away with. There's fifteen there's fifteen second base starters that you're not going to like be sick to your stomach about. But there's some of these guys are going to qualify at other positions, and I think the position can get away from you.
Speaker 3: So that's like the everybody needs an MI too, So yeah, exactly, and it.
Speaker 2: Might not come from short stuff, but getting to it, the first second baseman and the only inside the top fifty, there's only one second basement inside the top fifty. The good exciting thing we get to tell you it is Catell Martea with MVP votes last season, thirty six homers, a two ninety two batting average. He hits or he had seven stolen bases, which is not too shabby. Ninety three runs, ninety five RBI. He was so close to just putting up that one hundred one hundred with it an absolutely I know the term I want to say, it's when Bagman says, but it's not appropriate for the show. Red is the ansels. You know what I'm saying. Yeah, it is a very beautiful red savant page. And what that means our high percentiles across the board. He is top four percentile at least summer higher in expected wOBA at three ninety two. Expected batting average of two ninety four, which by the way, is higher than his batting average expected slug of five thirty eight. This is the league, by the way, expected slug top four percentile of the league. Average ex velocity ninety four, hard hit percentage fifty three point eight, dramatically higher than he has ever done before. And that kind of correlates as well, because he's always been a dude that hits the ball hard. You and I have been talking about it for eight years. We're like, dude always is going to put up a one to fifteen. But what has happened gradually over time? He has learned to tap into that more consistently, and it happened this year. Ninety four average average X velocity one seventeen max, but the barrel percentage jumped up to twelve percent to go with that hard hit rate. It's it's easy to say, Katell Mark Da Ka Tell Marte has done this before. That's the other thing I want to throw out, Like everyone's like, oh, the thirty two home run season. These were career highs. This was a career high in RBI, career high in homers, not a career high in runs, and not a heid soul and basis. But you know, like way up their highest batting average or second highest bating average has had in the last five years. It's a lot of me talking here just to say that, like listen, he clicked in in a completely different way in a weird diamondback season where lots of I struggled. He was as dominant as you can be and made these jumps that maybe will end up being like was this an anomaly? But they are also jumps that make him an elite player. And he's the only second baseman from NFBC that is going inside the top fifty, right outside the top thirty bugs.
Speaker 3: It's because last year I jumped off the train. It's like, I think he's gonna get hurt again. He does it every other year. And look, this is all missing twenty six games. He played one hundred and thirty six games, so he missed a big grip of games here, and he still put up these really good numbers, and the expected stats are right in line, not sinking a lot in batting average or slugging or x well. But you know, everything seems like this. These are just the numbers that he's gonna put up when he's healthy. So a great year for KTL. And I mean he faded a little bit down the stretch. That's when he had his injuries, right, was kind of closer to the end of the season, but he came back strong. So yeah, I mean he is the only one in the top fifty for a reason. It's because these numbers are really ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I mean, you want a ridiculous number two he hit. I mean you say he faded in the second half, maybe towards the end, because he just got hurt in yeah, he didn't the bat yeah that yeah, Because that's why I want to clarify because he hit two ninety two in the first half, he hit two ninety in the second half. But listen to this, three hundred and fifty nine at bats in the first half, he hit nineteen homers. That's phenomenal, by the way, in one hundred and forty five at bats in the second half, seventeen homers. He hit two less homers in two hundred less at bats.
Speaker 3: Point raising in the second half. Yeah, so you know they're like, his homer to fly ball rate was twenty five point seven. Well, it's his career is thirteen percent, So maybe there's a little something there. But maybe that's just he's you know, hitting the ball better and putting it out more.
Speaker 2: Babbop numbers are right in line. There's no like overtly high Babbitt numbers. Here's the thing that stands out kind of tracking. If you listen to the first base series. And I don't know what to make of this, because I'm going to go in and be like, hey, listen, he hit the ball harder. That's great, better I making better decisions equated to him barreling the ball. Like, I don't know if there's something he like physically did in his game outside of standing. Yeah, yeah, well let me fin like when you like, I don't know if he did anything like you know, you go to drive line or whatever that changed how he was barreling outside of making better decisions against pitchers and not like he had an eighteen percent k rate. So like what I'm getting at is he barreled the ball more. So I'm not surprised because of high barrel rates that he tapped into big hard hit numbers and that might be like the big key for him to be this elite players, He's got to get to barrels. So getting to focusing on barrels for a second, when you go to the pitch types, he hit three thirty six against fastballs. He hit two ninety six the prior year, So that's an uptick. Check this out. Ninety one point three average exit velocity the year prior against fastballs ninety five point one. That's a four mile an hour increase. So he was barreling fastballs. How else do you learn this? In twenty twenty three, he hit specifically against four seams, he hit two ninety with a two eighty three expected batting average, a run value of six. That's like, you know, it's like, fine, that's nothing crazy. The run value specifically this year, he hit three fifty four against four seam fastballs, but had a three twenty six expected batting average, which is amazing, and his run value twenty one. That might be one of the highest run values on a pitch type ever. So what I'm getting at here is like, dude overperformed against fastballs and had this crazy second half. Could he see less fastballs next year? That's a possibility. He doesn't really struggle against him. And by the way, he hit almost before exit velocity against breaking pitches and sliders, he hit two seventy nine. So like, if I'm trying to pick a knit here, it feels hard that he's going to be able to like completely repeat this, but I'm just not seeing any ground ball rate was a tiny bit up, but he pulled the ball more. Okay, he knew with a high barrel rate zone contact.
Speaker 3: Less selective this year because he had the highest swing percentage of his career ever forty eight point one percent, but his lowest contact percentage. So it seems like he's just not waiting around as much. He's trusting what he sees, and he's taken more hacks, So that was a big part of it as well.
Speaker 2: I think yeah, And so like what does that equate to, because like the worst thing that you can do is pay for the player's performance last year. That maybe doesn't have a baseline. I kind of think Katzel does have a relative baseline for what I think is semi positive as projections are lower, which I think is right, like to project him to be thirty five homers again, no, they got twenty seven homers, about the same stolen bases, batting average is roughly it's good. It's almost too eighty and really good counting stats across as it should be. I like what I see, and you know, in trying to pick the knits here, like I said, of finding something that you might not like, there just really isn't Like as long as he gets to barrels, he's gonna smash baseballs. And he overperformed it looks like against fastballs. So if that downtick, but he's just a good hitter. So like all the baseline from a primer perspective, a ka tell Marte is like he's worth investing. I'm kind of surprised his ADP is twenty eight. If I'm being honest with you here, it's probably an NFBC because he doesn't steal elite bases that he doesn't go higher. But from a second to third round pick at a position that does have some falloffs, maybe there's some Maybe we're going to get to some guys that are better values at the end of the day. I mean we haven't looked at them yet, but you know, Simeon is going off super low, and if he had a bounce back like that would.
Speaker 3: Be there's sure going to be better values because he's first.
Speaker 2: Right now, we're in the top one one hundred of second base, so like anyone could be a better value. But like from a safety net standpoint, oh, no Homer could tell it's kind of the dude, this is what we always were hoping for. So I don't know if you have anything else on Cautel. From a primer.
Speaker 3: Perspective, I just like that you invented no Homer, So, oh my, we'll love the d Backs. Can tell Marte, no Homer, we just love him. His production is great.
Speaker 2: So I very carefully said that, so that that is how we talk about the Diamondbacks, all right, So could tell Marte in the books he is kind of your own tier. Move off to number two, who is outside the top fifty. His ADP is actually fifty one. On the next two guys are kind of really close together. It's Ozzie Albi's where you know Ozzi just he does miss some games. I guess in twenty twenty three we did get the full season thirty three Homer's, thirteen stolen bases, he hit two to eighty, and then this year, you know, we kind of paid up for that, and then he got hurt. He had just under four hundred bats, ten homers, eight stolen bases, with a two fifty one batting average. The Savant page all almost except him not striking out. Everything was below average. He dropped two percent and his barrel percentage down to six not good. Hard hit percentage fell seven percent, also not good. His expected his overall batting average obviously dropped thirty points. His expected dropped twenty points from that prior year, which was really good, and it looked more reminiscent to twenty twenty two. So I'll stop there for a moment. In kind of the early assessment, it was a massively down year. Production just was not there. But I don't know, if you chalk you know how much you want to chalk up the injuries. He just he didn't barrel, he downticked his hard hit. He didn't strike out as much, which is really good. But what say you on Ozzie Alvi's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, A lot of that was the second half. He was pretty miserable in the second half after he came back from the injury. Maybe he came back too quick, I don't know, but he only hit two hundred in the second half. He only played twelve games in the second half as well, so maybe just came back a little bit too quick. But he's never really been good against you, or I should say he's been much better against lefties in his career than Riotyes, I think he has a two forty seven average in his career against righties. So most pictures are righties. So the batting average is probably never going to be impressive. But we know what Ozzy is when he's out there and working well. It's just, you know, how much do we need to shade the injury that he had in the second half not being very productive? Do we see enough? Is this more of a hey, look, I don't really care. He's had enough time to you know, recover, and I think he's going to be back to the normal Ozzie he is coming in or is to say, I kind of want to see him in spring training. Do you have like a an initial thought in terms of that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I haven't really even gotten into that. I mean, again, this is the primary, this is the trick. Yeah, like yeah, sure, Like I think Ozzie's one of It's kind of like could tell he's one of those dudes that's had these big ups and these big downs, So it's hard to gauge, like looking through here, just to give a couple other pieces, worst year against righty's in his career he hit two twenty five. He had never hit rightys worse than he and now he's had some bad years. By the way, again of hitting righty's. Uh, a switch hitter dramatically better against lefties. But this was the first year he ever hit under two thirty against right handed hitters. And that's uh, looks like that's where the predominant power is hit.
Speaker 3: Fig he have more power. He hits six homers.
Speaker 2: Okay, well check that, yeah, no, but his power comes from the righties because look at this in twenty twenty three, he hit twoint fifty against righty's. Twenty eight of his thirty three homers came against right handed hitters. So his power, I'm just going through it. Yoh yeah, just not even it comes from the right handed side. So if he's struggling to hit right handed hitters, every single year of his career he has been a predominant power hitter, I guess that would be from the left side hitting against righties as a switch hitter, So if he's struggling there, the power is going to be depleted. Also, just throwing this in, this could be maybe a portion of this is he saw an uptick in sinkers. So sinkers became the second highest pitch usage against him this season and he hit only two thirty nine against them, where he hit three p thirty eight the previous year. He hit him harder, but sinker what a sinkers do? They can get into the ground more. And then I come over to here, did his ground ball rate go up? Yep, about a percent and a half. He wasn't able to pull the ball quite as much. And then the only other thing to add in was I'm looking at the usages here. Yeah, I mean it was like the sinker. The sinker went up a percent and a half, change ups went down. These are pitched again him. Change ups went down, and slider usage also went down. That's a weird one when sliders go down. But maybe it was like you know, sinker usage. When he's from the left hand side, he's hitting you know, ground balls a little bit more. Because dude didn't barrel, he didn't hit well. His expected batting average was just really bad. I leave it to be like, I don't know what you take from that. Like that, that seems like, oh, people found a way that they want to attack him, and he kind of fell apart. I'd love it if we had bat speed numbers too, because he's actually got a really slow bat speed sixty nine point seven with oh, actually we do have oh you know that's from left and right handed side. Also look at this right so wait, when he's batting lefty, that's against righty's Check this out, dude, His swing gets longer seven point three swing length against lefties or as a lefty six point nine as a righty. So his swing gets longer.
Speaker 3: Probably just gets pitched differently. He gets pitched to the outside more. One way and gets pitched to the inside more the other way. That's probably what it is.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying I think that's interesting because where his power comes from, it gets longer, and it's a tad bit slower. The bat speed is close, it's well below average. They're relatively close, but that would say that's a relatively more dramatic line. Also, his blast contact percentage four point six percent as a lefty, fifteen point nine as a righty, and his overall squared up contact percentage nine percent lower as a lefty. So again, what I'm getting at is like where he makes the prominent power side really struggle this year, and he's got to make up the batting average from the other side, and that swing's getting long again. I mean, I wish I had correct answers here. I feel like those are things I don't love.
Speaker 3: I don't like.
Speaker 2: Those are things that don't I'm not like, oh, hey, you know, he's gonna pull this back around, Like he does have a history. Just the year prior he was really good. But I just don't know how how great I feel about some of these things. Like maybe they're learning how to pitch to him, so.
Speaker 3: He's going around the other players are like James Wood. Would you feel comfortable taking Ozzie over James Wood?
Speaker 2: No, I'd rather have James Wood.
Speaker 3: I think man a lot of pitchers. It's like Williams Hater Crochet d as young Man.
Speaker 2: I think he's in a tough spot. I think he's in a tough spot. Shoreber or Ozzie m I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Uh and then Al two base behind him. Well let's just go there. Yeah, because he's the next guy. Anyway, would you rather have Jose al Tube or would you rather have Ozzie Alvis?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, let's do the breakdown before I even start to say that again, I haven't I haven't even gone through my second basement. So al tuve last year two ninety five, twenty homers, twenty stolen bases. It was three straight years of hitting at least two ninety five or higher. But funny enough, he's just gonna be. He's just one of these guys. Expect a batting average dramatically lower every single year. So in twenty twenty he hit three hundred XBA to twenty. I'm sorry, twenty twenty two, three hundred expected batting average thirty points lower, two sixty nine. Twenty twenty three hit three to eleven expected batting average two forty five. This past year he hit two ninety five. Expected was two sixty two. So it is like always dramatically lower, so we can't really pick that apart. He dropped, his barrel percentage went down, but he got the ball in the air more again, which is really nice. He this looks like the second lowest walk percentage of his career, so that kind of dipped down a little bit, and he didn't really pop off in any other statistical like Baseball Savante, you know, type of percentile. But he was a twenty twenty guy. He stole at a much higher clip. I mean, the twenty two stolen bases were the highest since two thousand and seventeen. He had not gone over twenty, so he kind of made up for it in that standpoint. I don't know, man, like maybe like al two Vay's getting older. I don't want to be on the too wrong side of it, you know, because it's like a lot of these things look the same, like for sure, yeah, yeah, Like his average X velocity's the same, maxiv's about the same. He stopped barreling as much, but he got the ball in the air. That to me, I'm like, okay, that's like a compensation type of thing. He hit two eighty or higher against the three major pitch types, which I really loved to see, and he just kind of got it in the air a little bit more. I don't know, he's just so old, but I think like I would probably rather Altuve at this point than than Ozzie. And that might be reading too much into just some of like the standard like primary.
Speaker 3: I'm the same, I'm the same. I think I'd rather have al two bay, although I do like the thing I worry about this season is the power. Right, his homer to fly ball rate was twelve percent, which is his lowest sense twenty nineteen, twenty twenty actually, and then before that, I guess twenty eighteen. But yeah, I mean it's it's still above his average in his career. But he did play one hundred and fifty three games this year and only at twenty bombs. But I love the twenty two stolen bases that got a new manager a spot. I just ran more UH for the Astros this year, and he was on the healthy end of that, so being close to a twenty twenty, guy, you know, getting those games back, which kind of we were starting to question because he was getting older and he had, you know, he broke his hand in the World Baseball Classic the year before. But yeah, playing one hundred and fifty three was impressive. Putting up these stolen bases again was impressive. And doing it all with a decent batting average of two ninety five still three hundred and three eleven two ninety five, and his steamer projections are not very favorable to that batting average two sixty eight. His expected stats. Let me just take a look. His batting average was two ninety five. He is the lowest qualified second basement in terms of the batting average was projected and expected at two sixty two, and he hit two ninety five, So a thirty three point dip a lot. Yeah, well, I guess I was looking at something else when you were talking about Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going I was going through the OK. But that's kind of the thing where I'm saying, like, I'm actually not surprised that the projections are low like that, because projections are going to read off of like hard to hit barrel and expected numbers and the expected numbers are lower. It's funny though, because if you go a three year average, buddy boys hit two ninety five or higher for three straight years, so like to be under So it's reading off of expected, but he overperforms his expected. Another thing I see in here, you know that might maybe breed a little bit of confidence when you're talking about power. So he hit let me open this up here, Okay, so this is interesting when I open it up a little bit more, because I wasn't say last in twenty twenty three, he hit thirteen homers against fastballs. He did the same thing this year. What was different and positive was he he had a better hard hit percentage against four seams and sinkers than the previous year forty one percent to thirty nine and twenty nine percent to twenty percent. So you actually hit the ball harder against fastballs, which is his primary fastball place. But when you expand in the pitch types, he had hit twenty or more homers against fastballs three straight years prior. So that's where he makes his money, is off of because some guys will have an even distribution. Because I don't want people to be like, oh no, it's like no, that some guys will like more evenly distribute some of that, like Altuve does it off of fastballs. Why I'm encouraged is he had the career high pole percentage, he lowered his ground ball percentage, and he hit fastball types harder. I think the age works against him, but I just wouldn't be shocked if he pulls together another twenty. So I think you have to have reasonable expectations. Twenty twenty, twenty fifteen is probably a little bit. What are his projections right now? What are like the counting stats, not the average? You're muted?
Speaker 3: Sorry I was coughing. I went away from it, so let me pull it back up here.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, because because I'm curious, I would guess, like, in my brain, I'm gonna I'm not looking at it, twenty one homers and fourteen stolen bases.
Speaker 3: What I'm gonna guess twenty one and nineteen. Oh kay, so that's twenty two and nineteen excuse me? On Steamer to sixty eight average.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I don't care about the average on it. I care about the counting stats. That's interesting if you've ben come, because I think he every single year overperforms his projected expected stuff.
Speaker 3: They were missing Tucker for a huge grip of games last year in this lineup, so getting him back will help, you know, boost everything.
Speaker 2: I feel like, yeah, because his RBI numbers are actually RBI numbers. I even shocked at this in twenty twenty two when he hit twenty eight homers. He had more RBI this year than that year and he I mean he played like twelve more games, but he still had more RBI.
Speaker 3: He only wasting lead off that year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had fifty seven RBIs of those twenty eight homers, just more opportunities runs were ninety four was still pretty good. I don't know, man, Like I kind of come back to that. I feel like I saw more warning signs out in Albi's though. It's a powerful lineup, but they've had a pass of moving him around, and like, I don't know, yeah, yeah, I mean, become an only left handed hitter, Albi's please and focus on hitting the ball better from an average standpoint, because that's where your power is. I think that messes with him. I kind of think there's a baseline of two eighty twenty fifteen for Altuve with ninety plus runs. If I have to spend it in the fifties pick. I think it's gonna I think it's gonna be l tub.
Speaker 3: But I guess my question is do you think you're going to right, because no, I don't think I'll do it with you. Yeah, I don't think either. I think Marte is the only one, and he might cost a little too much in that area as well. So I don't know if this is the group of second Basement I want to be picking from and they are the best, but you know second base is not very good, So I don't know. Do you feel after going over the top three do you feel more or less encouraged about second Base?
Speaker 2: I mean, right now I feel I think I feel fine, but it'll start to be grosser. And that's why, Like I think, once you get through the other names, that's gonna help determine, like a little bit more like Katel is the one. If you were like, you got to spend pick thirty, Katel fifty or Albi's fifty seven for Altuve, what are you doing, I'd be like, I'm doing it for Catel. I'm doing it for Copel a hundred percent, because you know, the oldest here is Altuve. Like I said, the only thing I feel good about is regardless of him getting older. It kind of seemed like three years ago that age decline happened, and now this is the new Altuve and there's nothing that's really changed year over year for me to be like, I don't think. I think he could repeat and he could have a nice high average and maybe he even hits a few more homers this coming year. That's a possibility. You just worry that stops running, but the team seems to want him to run a little bit. So let's go into the next year, and this is like, this is the big change. This is where things really move off. That was, you know, fifty seven in now you jump to pick ninety. That's the fourth second baseman on the primer we're going to do here, and that is Marcus Simeon, who Marcus Simeon was darling for everybody. Marcus Simeon was like essentially in Kutel Marte's spot, and frankly, you know, maybe it's that general spot. It's almost probably picked for pick that you want to be careful of. Simeon homer potential was still there. He had twenty three homers this past year. Stole late bases, which definitely was a decline. I think that was the lowest he's had since twenty twenty with those eight stolen bases, and it was his lowest home run total since twenty twenty one, where he hit forty five in twenty twenty one. The biggest thing that jumps out to is the batting average. It tanked down to two thirty seven. He scored over one hundred runs. RBI opportunities weren't really there from if I remember correctly, last year was a really nice savant page. It looks pretty gross right now. Where he really thrives is he is a higher walk doesn't chase doesn't strike out. That kind of breeds to a points league player. But you know, some of the counting stats struggled. I'll stop there for a second, let you go, and I'll kind of keep digging in here thoughts on Marcus Simeon.
Speaker 3: It just that he's always consistently inconsistent, right, Like you know, you look at this his splits from month to month. It was two fifty eight and then two thirty nine, not bad from April to May, down to two oh two in June to two eighty seven in July back to two oh seven in August and then two thirty one. I mean it ends up looking okay a first hap, second half splits two forty two to two thirty. But you just the Marcus Simeon. Uh, you know, he will carry you and then he will sink you. And that's the inconsistency that I don't typically like in a daily league. At least in a daily league, you can get him out when he's struggling a little bit, so he's he's a very good player at the end of the year. That is frustrating in season, is how I just consistently feel about Marcus Simeon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm looking here. Uh, he barreled at the same rate. His expected batting average was higher. There's a if we're going to build some optimism that was it was higher two fifty one. He still get he got the ball in the air a little bit less nineteen the previous year. He'd actually been over nineteen. Since twenty twenty, that fell to seventeen, but that still went with a good barrel, higher max the actually highest max ev of his career, but one of the lower average evs. His hard hit percentage went down by about two percent something to keep an eye on, and he underperformed pretty much against every single pitch type. He did a much better job on breaking in off speed pitches. The previous year two seventy six two fifty, his expected numbers were lower, but his numbers this year were under the expected numbers from the previous year, and those are trash. The fastballs though, two fifty four against expected to ninety big launch degrees. He gets under pull the ball the same lot more ground balls as you might expect in there, and I'm just trying to look if there's anything else. It's his own swing percentage was up, contact percentage was the same. He did chase more than he had done in some time.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I look at that and I think there might be some optimism as far as like where he can hit. I will say it looks like he underperformed Babbit Lois Babbit of his entire career at two fifty, so that's kind of a telling sign. Though he's not a three hundred babbit guy, so it looks like there's a little bit of underperformance there. I tend to think maybe he is losing some of that big max power because he was still barreling and not getting to it. But if the batting average goes up, maybe he's a twenty five homer ten stolen base and if you got Corey segerback and White Langford's playing well, maybe you could get back to, you know, hitting in some serious runs. I mean, Simeon they like to run Simi and out as the leadoff hitter and then they'll go Corey Seeger two.
Speaker 3: Maybe they screw with that a little bit, so he's more inconsistent. Altov without the stolen bases is kind when you look at.
Speaker 2: It well, and he scored one hundred runs with Seger missing time too, so that's kind of like a semi positive in there. I think there might be something there with him. But when you look at like his slug was down, his wOBA was down. His hard hit by the way, I mean, I understold it bottom twenty two percentile of the league. That's essentially like the bottom fifth of the league is as his hard hit. He never was a big hard hit guy. I guess in general, he reminds me of remember the conversations we had last year with like C. J. Abrams and Hassan Kim, where I was a little picky on them where it was like, man, these guys they don't barrel, they don't hit the ball hard. But what they do is they get they optimized by just getting the ball in the freaking air. And some guys can do that. And I felt like that's something hard to keep repeating, but I don't know. Some of these guys just do it. And Simeon has been doing it forever.
Speaker 3: Dudes had like a I mean again, he goes on these hot white hot. He cannot miss the ball. We saw it even in the World Series last year, right whereas like the first three games he did nothing and then the last two he was crushing it. So he just he is an up and down player. He's inconsistent. He's the numbers at the end of the year are pretty consistent. But the daily grind with Simeon is he is going to be wildly inconsistent. He's going to go through high highs and low lows. It has always been that way for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what I do like about it is he's coming at a cheaper cost. This is another one of those likes. Ozzie, by the way, he just really struggled against Righty's I mean, let's see twenty twenty one. It is the lowest he's hit against rdy since twenty twenty and that's where like a lot of power comes from from him, and he only hit two twenty eight. He had eighteen homers against ridies this year while hitting only two twenty eight. So like, if you have low babbit, maybe you can you could foresee that and you, by the way, you hadn't expected batting average higher against fastballs. That the low babbit higher XB against fastballs, and your predominant power in there, maybe some of that power comes. I kind of don't buy the batting average going up too high. So two fifty call it twenty five homers. What's his steamer projection.
Speaker 3: On? Simeon? Yeah, uh, simeon steamer projection currently is this thing he wants to take forever to load. I had like just clicked away from it. Two fifty three, ninety four runs, twenty five homers, seventy three RBI, and twelve stolen bases.
Speaker 2: That's almost is exactly what I said. I actually think that is palatable at ninety that like that late pick that.
Speaker 3: Like I would rather have that at ninety than Altuve at fifty seven or fifty five or whatever he was, So I.
Speaker 2: Think I agree, and Albi's I think it's Kutel and then it moves on to Simeon. Let's go to another one that's exciting. So this guy is in this, I guess there's a couple guys in this this four to five. Yeah, And I think a lot of people are gonna like, we'll have to see where he goes. It's Jordan Westberg. Who Jordan Westburg is just outside the top one hundred eighteen homers in a little over four hundred bats, six dolen bases, he hit two sixty four. That batting average carried over from the year prior, where he had like two hundred at bats. Great barrel percentage numbers eleven point eight percent love it. He raised his hard hit percentage year over a year to above average forty six point one percent.
Speaker 3: Love it.
Speaker 2: His expected batting average higher than his batting average. Love it. Why do those all things equate to like higher expected numbers? Because that is a red baseball savant page Top twelve percent tile x wOBA XBA x slug, top twentieth percentile of average ex velocity and barrel percentage Top twenty four in the league and hard hit percentage, and he had a top nine percentile sprint speed dudes, fast dude to hit the ball consistently hit it hard by the way, twenty one point seven percent k percentage, which lowered from the year over year. Anybody who starts to do research on the position, we're gonna love Jordan Westburg. The thing is, we're gonna hope that we don't get fooled. But man, I will tell you Westburg, if he is outside the top one hundred, he's gonna be all of our targets.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, you didn't even mention his expected stats like his batting average. Uh you know, I was expected to be to eighty one though too sixty four, so seventeen points higher. And you know, you you look at the splits and everything. What was bad about his game? What was the second half? But the second he had the hand injury July thirty. First, he didn't play it all in August. He only played six games to finish the season, so he never really got he was slowing down a little bit in July that I think the batting average was down at like two thirty two. But I don't know, man, everything just seems wheels up as a young player that's still figuring everything out. And I just in this third year, this is where it really should take off. So like you said, I think I think the cost is going to start to rise the closer we get to actual draft season here. But yeah, he's a good investment, and I just there's not a lot to poke holes in and dislike with Westbroog.
Speaker 2: Right now, Yeah, and I got something there.
Speaker 3: He qualifies as second and third by the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he he did struggle on the second half, as you mentioned, but he.
Speaker 3: Only played six games in uh like in September. He didn't play it all in August and that so that second half is really those six games and then the two weeks after the All Star Game.
Speaker 2: Now here's something to pay attention to. But this works positively and negatively, got big home road splits. His power was the same, but he hit over three hundred at home and he hit two twenty eight on the road. But here is so that's like a negative. But here's where the positive comes in. The Orioles are looking at changing the left field dimensions to make it more hitter friendly for right handed hitters. They made left field more pitcher friendly, which is why you see like expected numbers. They are changing the dimensions and that could be something good for Westbrook. Except this he was like a dead center center field type of power hitter. He actually had a really bad poll percentage, So like what I'm getting at is it's gonna be something to watch. He was forty five in his rookie year. Then he just started like middle fielding everything thirty eight percent pole percentage. So you wonder and you hope, like, don't change yourself too much, but if you pull the ball more, you're going to probably see more homers. And he gets a ball in their thirteen degree launch angle, which you absolutely love to see. So you know, if there is a if a change in that pole percentage for the positive, we love that his chase rate was a little bit higher. That's something to watch out for. And kind of a low ze zone contact percentage. It was under eighty percent, so that's like below average, So you know that makes me think I want to look at his bad and see was at high No. Three zero five. That's like a he was three thirty five the year before. That looks pretty good. It's hard to pick the knits, like the home road split would be one, but then I would go, well, you know, the home park is going to get even better. He did struggle against lefties a little bit this year, he only hit two thirty. He really dominated right handed hitters. That can tend to maybe change a little bit, but I don't know, there's some good balance in Like if he struggled with fastballs a little bit, he still hit almost two fifty against breaking pitches. He crushed EV's highest EV was against off speed pitches this year. Dude, he's a trip. I don't know how we're not going to love him. And the ballpark factor is going to just make left field even better. So what what are his projections?
Speaker 3: You want to guess?
Speaker 2: Yes I do. Let's see eighteen homers in four hundred. I'm going to guess twenty six homers. What's the stolen bases? Six twenty six homers? Ten stolen bases with a two it was two dy one with a two sixty eight average.
Speaker 3: Two sixty one, nineteen homers and only eight stone or only nineteen homers and eight stone bases. So I'm the homers is all that you were off of? And look if they're bringing the fence in a little you know, it's not gonna be a one for one and like it was before, but they are bringing it in, so uh, they're going to bring the fence in. Hopefully it gets a little bit better on the road, as you mentioned, but you know, his splits are more positive towards right. He's two seventy five vers right. He's against two thirty first lefties. We'll take that all day. Most pictures are righty, So yeah, I mean, I just there's room for growth here for him. Thirteen homers against righties as well and only five against lefties, So yeah, I mean, I Jordan Westburg is definitely a player that's going to start moving up. Once people start doing their dives and they're digging, he's going to start picking up and up and up.
Speaker 2: I feel like it'd be really interesting to watch, though, because eight of his homers did go opposite field and he really just didn't pull like you want to talk about true pulling. It looks like two of those homers maybe let me call it four, or we're like actual big pull homers. And if I'm looking at the chart, I maybe see three hits that could have been homers on that side. But it's hard to be like, you know, can you repeat opposite field stuff? So I don't know either way. Like I think the cost is just really nice. I think I will bet you right now that once we get like what is it ATC and stuff and what's the what's CARDI? I'm completely blanking on CARDI is ATC?
Speaker 3: Is he not? No? The bat?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the bat, the bat, I will bet you those are going to be more aggressive on his power. I fully believe that. Next up on the list is a guy that I just watched a ton of in the AFL. He is around one fifteen, he is six. We've only got to six here. But that's why things are going to get plowing, Matt McClain. We really don't have a ton to go off of because we're looking what.
Speaker 3: Did you see? What do you see from the AFL? That's what I want to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, yeah, one hundred percent because the only twenty twenty twenty three numbers we had it was sixteen fourteen, two ninety league average ish like decent barrel and stuf. So in the AFL he played multiple positions. He played center field, which I mean they moved they traded India. But I don't know if that's a one hundred percent just from mcclan They played him, and they played mclan at third, short, second, Well, I think you know he didn't play short. He played second, third and center field out there. My problem with him is that twenty eight point five percent k percent from twenty twenty three that is still in play. Nude was wild swinging still, I mean he was. I'm trying to yeah, argue no, not even he was the most pro guy there. He had the most pro at bats and he was I mean guy, you can get him high on high fastballs. Incredible bat speed, I mean, what was We don't have bat speed numbers, but I will bet you he's above league average and bat speed. He's still got a major strikeout issue. He does try to get the ball in the air. If he barrels, that's going to help him. But I am worried that the batting average his XBA from that twenty twenty three season was about thirty points lower. I'm worried he's more of a two forty two fifty hitter with high strikeouts. But like dude, freaking runs. He hit a couple homers when he was out there. I think those are things to be excited about, but it is really hard to to look at him and be like, you know, he hasn't played any year, what the hell is he going to do? Yeah, it looked like he was trying to pull the ball a little bit more out here, like he was more aggressive in that standpoint. He didn't pull the ball. Only five of his sixteen homers were even on like the left field side. It was a whole bunch of opposite field stuff he hit in that first year. And then let's look at.
Speaker 3: Well, he's in Sincy.
Speaker 2: You know it's yeah, I wanted to look at that shoe box. Ten of his six homers came from Cincinnati, probably all those opposite field ones, and he hit three h four. I'm not as optimistic about Matt McClain, if I'm being brutally honest. I remember you and I having the conversation last year in the Ranks episode. It was like, freaking mout McClain, let's go.
Speaker 3: I was excited, man, And yeah, obviously the shoulder injury just screwed the whole year for him. So I I was hoping we get maybe a little more of a discount on McLean, but no such luck. I still think I'm pretty.
Speaker 2: You hate the discount. I mean it's it's it's kind of decent.
Speaker 3: I mean post one hundred is fine, So it's fine. I was just hoping for a little bit more. Maybe with Garcia's good year, Terrain's good year, he would go fulow those guys. But no such luck there. But you know, maybe he's gonna qualify multiple positions too. We'll see what happens. As you said, they're bouncing them around all over the place. But I like, I just I want to see him back hitting because the lineup has gotten better and since he as well. So, uh, there's just there's a lot there for Matt McLean. So I think I'm going to be back in, maybe not as aggressive as I was last year, which you know, thank god we hold our drafts late for the most part. But yeah, last year, uh sucked. But I think he's gonna be pretty decent. But like you said, I I expect with this high strike strikeout rate at batting average come down this two nineties not realistic. You know, It's projections right now are a uh two sixty with twenty five homers an eighteen solen bases.
Speaker 2: So and I think me too high.
Speaker 3: You think it's too high.
Speaker 2: I think that's just too high. Like I don't know for just the version that but see, here's the problem. The version that I saw was a Matt McClain that hadn't done anything the whole year. I saw him in instructs before the AFL and he was just getting going and you know, so like he didn't have big reps, so he can't pick too much into it. Like there the skills are still there. Dude can fly, but he's just very hyper aggressive, and I just don't know what that's going to look like. I'm really worried about the batting average, but he does feel like a guy that could hit two forty and still be a twenty twenty guy. Like if he's on the base paths, he's going to run. He's got some uh some you know, real actual power potential. But it's just like league average eighty nine average x velocity about one ten the year before.
Speaker 3: I will even see in the second half of twenty twenty three that the strikeout rate was over thirty percent. And I'm worried that he is going to be a big swing and miss guy for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like he might be a struggles first half click second half type of guy. Will say, also massively overperformed breaking pitches. In twenty twenty three, he had a two seventy five average against two oh seven expected batting average. I mean, dude, like way overperform there. It kind of comes back to it. He's not an all ball hitter. He's a fastball hitter.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: He hit two seventy eight and three seventy one against sinkers and fastballs, which are the two highest pitches he saw. Guess what, I'm gonna imagine he's going to see quite a bit of off speed stuff. Dude. He hit two eighty eight and twenty twenty three against sliders. Guess what his XBA was, no idea one sixty four over one hundred points lower. So I think he's gonna see some more off speed stuff which happened to AFL, and he might struggle a tiny bit. Luis Garcia new name to the field because he finally did counting stats. He's just one of those weird dudes that it was like, man, he'd be sweet with his contact if he could start doing something with it, and he did eighteen homers, twenty two stolen bases with the two eighty two batting average. He was out in the AFL some time back, top almost top ten percent tile expected batting average, so it supports it. Two seventy eight XBA. It's very supportive of his batting average. He increased his barrel percentage to eight percent, which is very doable career high forty one point seven percent hard hit. I like that, got the ball in the air more. Eight point two degree launch angle was four point six the year before, sixteen percent k rate, walks five percent of the time, not as.
Speaker 3: Either, dude, like average two eighty one in the first half, two eighty four in the second half. ISO won sixty three in the first half, one to sixty in the second half. Sole what was look, Yeah, twelve to ten in ten.
Speaker 2: Yes, I went to look at the exact same thing, like he's still all of it in like two months, Like no.
Speaker 3: He just right. This was just consistent production throughout the year, which is nice.
Speaker 2: He also hit lefties almost two sixty. He's a lefty. He hit two sixty the year prior, so I mean that's really positive. But seventeen of his eighteen homers came against right handed hitters. But he's going to face them more. Yeah, so like that's something to you know, consider into it. He definitely was heavy on that side pitch type. This is one of those guys he's this is what I when I say all type pitcher. This is an all types type of pitcher.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's three zero one against fastballs, three eighteen against off speed breaking was two thirty seven, which you know, it's not great, but it's like still doable. He hit more homers against breaking pitches, or hit the same amount of homers as breaking pitches against fastballs and off speed combined. Nine against breaking five and four were fastball and off speed combined. So that's again that's another positive. So that means like he's killing sliders, you know, and he was. He was putting him out to sixty seven batting average. So I'm trying to find the things that I don't like U Low's swing percentage because he would just like really look for that pitch. But he had a high zone contact rate, really high chase rate though Jesus, thirty six percent zone percentage went up. Trying to find the things that I don't like about it. I guess it's I think he's more fifteen to fifteen than I think he is, Like, he's probably get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, even the projections are you know, they're almost like Rinson repeated what he had last year. It's more runs, sixty six runs, eighteen homers, seventy two RBI, which is two more than last year, and sixteen stone bases, which is six fewer than the previous season. But yeah, I mean, you know, look, he's one of those guys where you get down to it at second base and you're looking at who's left. I think he's gonna go behind like Bryce Terrang I think he's maybe go behind some of these other guys with better names or more upside. But he's a safe play, I think, is what we're gonna end up saying with Luis Carcier, I.
Speaker 2: Wonder if this is one of those guys that has benefited from the new rules with stolen bases as well, because here's something interesting. Twenty two stolen bases.
Speaker 3: But he's in the bottom.
Speaker 2: He's below league average sprint speed, so it's not a dramatically fast guy. He attempted twenty seven stolen bases, he was caught five times. There's just nothing abnormal there, maybe just a really smart based stealer. He knows how to pick on and find the right catcher to steal against. I almost now want to, like, I just do a quick little glance, see if there's like a game lot. Was he still a lot of two bases? Let's see he had two there? Just trying to see like the distribution. I get, well, he had a couple of multi stolen based games. One was against the Cardinals. Maybe not particularly great at throwing out I mean, I'm just grasping at straws here. One was against the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Everything else was just singular ones. He just found his spots. But I guess where I'm going with.
Speaker 3: That is like maybe he just finally let him do it.
Speaker 2: I just don't maybe don't believe him as much. That's more, I don't believe this still.
Speaker 3: Look, his projections are six fewer, so drop from twenty two to sixteen. So projections aren't really buying all of it either.
Speaker 2: So but if he and if he does increase, because the one thing you can really count on is you can count on that he's a higher contact guy, and that can make you feel good about it. He did not score a lot of runs this past year. I actually think he would be the Nationals. Where the hell did he hit? He hit primarily fifth was he had one hundred and twenty two of his back. He hit all over the place.
Speaker 3: Let's six, seven, eight nine for Washington's probably not the best spot.
Speaker 2: But if he was hitting like two, I think that'd be a semi positive. And if he grows the barrel and hits the ball a little bit harder than their's growth there, I just don't think the stolen bases are probably real. I would did you give me his projections? Because I feel like he's yeah, there were there was a right in line. Yeah it was sixteen and uh it was eighteen and sixteen. Okay, yeah, so I'm probably not going to be like massively interested Bryce Safe.
Speaker 3: He's a good floor player. I feel like contact, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Bryce trying is super interesting though, because this is the first encounter of a player that like is devoid. He's devoid at homers. He had seven home this past year, but he stole fifty bases while hitting two fifty four. His expected batting average was higher at two sixty one, which.
Speaker 3: You love to see.
Speaker 2: But he is in this making of like the Luisa Rise type of play. Actually, who Luis Garcia used to be absolutely bottom barrel barrel percentage, horrific, hard hit percentage, one of the worst in the league. He dropped his launch angle, so this was like, I'm not I don't care about hitting homers down to six percent from twelve the previous year. But he doesn't strike out, he doesn't walk. And the only thing particularly besides his speed and the not striking out is the higher batting average, Like.
Speaker 3: That's what he does. Yeah, but he hit two to twenty in the second half, which is much closer to his twenty twenty three two eighteen batting average, So that kind of scares me a little bit and it could be scary.
Speaker 2: One thing, he hit three or two against fastballs. Expected was two seventy five, so there's a cool baseline. Struggled against breaking an off speed but had a higher expected batting average. Technically, his expected batting average is two fifty or higher against all those pitch types when they break them down into three pitch types, when you start to get individual like he killed sinkers, he killed fastballs, he killed sliders as well, and then you're starting to get into like the bottom twenty five percent of pitches seen, and that means a little bit less really really high zone contact, which actually I really like to see. I think the stolen bases are going to continue if not be more aggressive, especially if he if he had a higher expected batting average, you know, like maybe it's in the Lewis Rise range. Like what's his swing type two? His bats? Yeah, bottom two, so he does the Luise Rise thing. This is bottom barrels swing percentage sixty six point two, which is bottom two percent of the fricking league. But it is also massively short swing one of the shortest in the league six point one. League average is seven point three, So he is just short, compact, get to contact, use my speed, no power projection if you want tubes. I think he can get to two seventy two to seventy batting average with forty plus stolen bases. This is your guy. And then where was he hitting. He was primarily hit. He was leadoff, So I mean, if he got if he can continue that, uh, that's where we're gonna make our money. He did bat ninth the whole bunch as well, so I don't know, you know, with Churio and Yelich back, are they gonna do?
Speaker 3: Are they gonna do?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Trang? Yelich? Yeah, well, you know with Willia Domis gone, that actually might work. It might go Trang then Yelich, then Churio and then Hoskins.
Speaker 3: Right, and I'm and I'm looking here. That makes me feel better is they have his projected batting averages two fifty four. I just don't know if that's believable.
Speaker 2: Well, but it was only to sixty one expected bout it. Oh you're you're saying you're really focused on the second half. Well, no, no, I mean just too sixty one.
Speaker 3: Though, Okay, I mean maybe I just uh, you know, having a full season before two eighteen and then the whole second half to twenty that that's I mean, I don't like it. Well, but we're not gonna be drafting by String at his current cost. He dips a little bit, I'll get in, well, so many solen bases, so many stole basis where the hell players? You can get stolen bases from almost all of them, but these.
Speaker 2: Are like elite, elite stole basis. Here's one thing I just want to throw out to when you're focusing on the second half. July he hit one sixty nine. August he hit two thirteen, so that's carrying it. But he ended the year hitting two fifty eight in September, so he did have a bounce back. Eleven stolen bases was the number one stolen bases that you know of any singular month. I don't know, he's probably better. Well it's not even a better point le guy, because he steals a lot of bases, but there's some value in there. So that is like a big course. So this next Tier'm gonna do some little bit quicker breakdowns on Zander Bogarts really fell, even though he was such a popular pick from previous years. I remember, like all of us were like, we're gonna draft Xander Bogarts. Xander Bogart's EIGHTYP fell down to one sixty two. He finished the season eleven homers, thirteen stolen bases, two sixty four, batting average like one hundred and seventy less. It pats. Everything was pullsided by the way he dipped in barrel percentage. His expected batting average kind of supported and it's kind of actually where it actually was higher than it had been in the previous years. Small dip and hard hit. Nothing to talk about in kasum percentage. I guess where I'm kind of getting at. Kind of looks like the same Ish player to me, he got the launch angle was better. I mean, I know talking to him, he didn't love second base. Maybe that was in his head. He pulled the ball a little bit more. I don't know, man, I'm not sure if I hate all of this that he might be a better value. What are his projections right now?
Speaker 3: To seventy one batting average, seventeen homers, and fourteen stolen bases.
Speaker 2: So the counting stats have gone away for people, that excitement because remember it was like twenty twenty was the projection, so they've killed that while improving his batting average.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's I mean, he's been on a three year decline in batting average as well. Three zero seven, two eighty five, two sixty four h only one hundred and eleven games because of the entries last year. But yeah, I don't know, he's just not exciting. He offers a decent floor. We you know, he's a productive player when he's in the lineup, but getting a little bit older. That batting average dipping three years in a row, at least the stolen bases have come back a little bit, so that's nice. But I think I don't know.
Speaker 2: By the way, if you like, you like your second half stuff. He hit two thirty one in the first half, two ninety two in the second half, about the same amount of at bats, so he finished really strong, I mean really strong. He had this crazy July. He hit two fifty nine in September, but two ninety two in the second half.
Speaker 3: That's I just feel I feel lukewarm on Xander.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had some bad home roums. He's two forty six at home to eighty on the road. I guess I feel maybe I feel lukewarm ish as well. But who is it we were talking about earlier that I was like, that's like a fifteen to fifteen average guy, Like that's what Bogarts is, but cheaper the hell was was Garcia? Yeah, Luis Garcia. That's forty picks later than Garcia for Xander Bogarts and in a better offense. I don't know, man, I might I might lean into that a.
Speaker 3: Little bit more. I think the only thing that you don't have there is I think Xander's on the way down and Garcia might be on the way up.
Speaker 2: That's a fair point. Yeah, and Garcia had like positive like you know, barrel percentage went up, hard hit went up like Bogarts doesn't have that. I guess when I look at it, though, I think there are some positives that he's kind of a value. Nico Horner was one of the biggest guys I picked on last year. He comes in at ten one sixty nine. I hated his value last year, dead right about that, but he was still productive. Seven homers, thirty one stolen bases. You know that's not bad if it's post one fifty. It's just the problem is it was like top fifty or sixty. Last year. He hit two seventy three, which is very supportive of his average. His XBA was the best of his career except his rookie year. But like Terrang, one point two barrel, one of the worst hard hits in the league. But a doesn't strikeout, so this is like Terrang all over again. You could maybe argue, why take Terrang when you can get Nico for free?
Speaker 3: That's what I was about to say. Yeah, I mean it's not free. But he also hit two ninety seven in the second half. He had more stolen bases seventeen in the second half. In uh, you know what would that be twenty five fewer games to fourteen in the first half. Yeah, I mean he just looks better down the stretch as well, and lives.
Speaker 2: A ninety two point seven zone contact percentage. I mean he is making contact, it's just not good contact. Here's the thing we don't know, though, might get traded. There's a lot of rumors that he could get traded and they could put Matt Shaw in there. I guess I look at this and I just I guess I feel comfortable with who he is now. All my picking on him last year was like, we're out of our minds. There's no power projection, We're out of our minds for paying the costs that we were this post one point fifty for thirty stolen bases.
Speaker 3: I'm down with this.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't think that's a baud. It's just if he gets traded to like the Marlins or something, that's gonna stink, I'm gonna hate that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I don't think that doesn't happen. You know, I don't see.
Speaker 2: Growth in Nico, but I still see the same player. Super low strikeouts. He ran a little bit less, but I'm not gonna like they haven't picked on that. They haven't projected for twenty seven swipes.
Speaker 3: Oh really yeah, what's his batting average? Projection should be to seventy seven? Okay, yeah, eight homers, I mean, I think everything else, but twenty fewer runs as well. Sixty six down from eighty six, fifty six r The RBI went up and OBP went up a little bit, but yeah, down to twenty seven stolen bases, don't interesting.
Speaker 2: The next guy on here, you've got bright Actually, well, I'm jumping it's secondly twelve. There's another guy that moved up recently, but let's do Bryson Stott, who's around one seventy five. Bryson Stott's average tanked. He didn't. It's funny because he didn't grow in any other areas. But he still kind of put up the same thing. Second straight season of thirty stolen bases, second straight season of double digit homers. It just went from fifteen to eleven. His batting average sunk a decent amount. His expected batting average is a little bit higher though, and is closer to what we've seen. But he dropped in his barrel. He dropped in his hard hit, kind of like these other guys. Low K percentage, high walk percentage. He did get the ball in the air a bit more, but I guess you would look and you'd be like, well, what how do I project that he can become a better hitter, And it's I think the answer is you can't. Like fifteen thirty is like the cap of him, especially that he drops some of these stats. Like I like that he got the ball in the air more, but he just doesn't barrel. I think he hits decent contact, he's okay against the pitch types and eighty six percent zone contact percentage. Man, it's really hard to discern. Like Bryce terrang him and Nico Horner, they're all kind that's back to what you were saying, like when I'm like, you could take Nico Horner or you could take Bryce training, and you're like, well, those guys exist over here, Like this guy doesn't have the batting average, but there's a little bit more power potential. But jesus, it is all pull side. He has no real raw power to pull anywhere else. So it is going to be every single homer was pull side.
Speaker 3: This year. Yeah, I mean being in Philly is nice for that at least, so that's good. But yeah, I would say he's firmly third in this group, but this group probably needs to be a little closer. But Train definitely has way more upside than both those guys. But yeah, I just I'm kind of standing firm on you know, why pay for Traynga where he is when you can get these guys significantly later.
Speaker 2: I guess the difference for me is, like those guys have better stolen base potential. I look at Stott as a guy that has better power potential. He did underperform his babbitt but tiny bit, and he's had three straight seasons of double digit homers. So if I'm chasing a little bit more average and stolen bases, it's the other guys if I'm chasing. I don't even want to call it more of a complete player because he only had fifty seven RBIs, But I think the potential for him to be a little bit higher RBI is there. But did only score ninety sixty five runs when he hit like ninth all year, he hit uh fifth and sixth. It's amazing the RBI opportunities didn't show up when he hit almost three hundred at bats were between fifth and six like that.
Speaker 3: It should have been, but it just especially in Philly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I'm saying exactly. Only a couple more in the actual breakdown, and we'll just throw a couple names out Andres Jimenez another thirty stolen base nine homer guy hit two point fifty two. Is that offense really picked up left handed hitter who was one of the few that did not see a benefit and an uptick on that right field that they changed on the Guardians, probably because he lost five degrees on his launch angle. He also his garrel percentage was cut in half. It's hard to hit percentage with down. I hate all of that stuff. Maybe it can change because he had a thirteen degree launch agal the year before that. That's what you need to do. But he lost his barreling and it looks like, I mean, I'm trying to did it come from losing fastballs? He hit the same uh sliders, He hit sinkers a lot worse this year. That's about the pitch that I can tell.
Speaker 3: He hit in the first half and two fifty two in the second half. Is insanely predictable. It looks like for him and as Ower, the power just went away, like you said, the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I like him a lot less too. One eighty seven, uh is his ADP. He's thirteenth on the list. I like him less too, because he's got the lowest zone contact percentage of all these dudes we've been talking about, like all these base guys. It's the lowest there, but it's one of the most friendly environments for his handed bat right being able to hit to right field. He just didn't do it. So maybe if he could get back to that and make that a focus this year, and you can get back into a thirteen degree launch angle, you get that catch up little wind pocket, maybe he could hit more homers. Is there any projection that is on that side or nay?
Speaker 3: I mean they have him back to normal, but it's fourteen homers, you know, it's His batting average is two sixty three. They have him at which is up ten points, eleven points from last season. Fourteen homers, which would add five stolen base is twenty seven, down three. So what'd you say the average was?
Speaker 2: Sorry, two sixty three, that's not bad. I mean, that's still his career to sixty one, So that's the hell is better than his career one eighty seven. I mean that is forty five spots lower than Bryce Terrang. Bryce Ring's got a higher batting average and probably uh stolen base potential.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I guess there's some These are all middle infielders to me, by the way, Like I coming back to your question from before, not to believor this, You're like, how do I feel about the position now that we've gone you know, twelve thirteen deep. It's like, well, I really want like like if I don't get Westburg, Simeon or Marte, I'm going to feel the stress and then I would love to get one of these dudes in that middle infield you want. You want to chase some stolen bases and go get a Nico at one sixty nine, or you know, Getjmenez near two hundred, Like I could I could stomach that. We did talk about a rise, I think in the first basement, didn't we Yes, we did. So he comes in at fourteen the last why I do want to mention Ring gifo, but because he is higher in ADP right now, he's actually the eleventh second baseman here, but Glabor Torres, who we do not know where he's going to go, that maybe plays a slight role in it. That one year seemed kind of an anomaly I was, I wrote last year. I was like, oh, he just hit sliders so much better, and look he's changed and he's not whiffing, and that just fell apart.
Speaker 3: This year.
Speaker 2: Homer's way down fifteen only four stolen bases, two fifty seven average. All of those were just stinky barrel percentage is on a three year decline. Hard hit percentage three year decline down to thirty five point four. His expected batting average was the lowest it's ever been in his career.
Speaker 3: Seventeen points worse than what he actually hit too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Lonchek was good, the max EV was good, but he lost the overall hard hit stuff. And part of that is is coming back to twenty twenty three, he hit that off speed stuff. Well that was gone this year, Like he just hit fastballs to ninety six. That's all he did. Horrific exit velocities versus breaking and off speed stuff. He just got back to whiffan through everything. And by the way, he saw less sliders. This year he saw, Yeah, that's it. He just saw more fastballs, less sliders, and he just stunk. And that tells me, oh, that was an anomaly from the year before. So I don't love that, and it's you know, maybe the home park is going to go in there. But the baseball savant stuff all below average thirty nine percent alex Woa, But like, I just don't love any of that stuff. I don't feel super optimistic because he just regressed back to the hitter that he was and the hard hit went away. I just kind of hate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just it doesn't look good and the expected numbers being bad as well. It kind of looks like this dude should not be in this range. He should be in the next group, which kind of is. But just with all these guys stealing bases, right, I don't I don't know that he really belongs in this group. I think he belongs to the next group. Like the post two hundred and his one ninety nine ADP ADP currently that's probably gonna sink.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. So the last one of the actual breakdown and then I just want to throw it out if there's a guy or too just to look I probably should look at Jackson holiday ring gifo was on this list. Just missed a lot of time, twenty four stolen bases in two hundred and eighty three at bats, he hit three hundred, He had six homers. It's kind of hard because of the injury stuff, but like his barrel just tanked. His hard hit went way down his.
Speaker 3: Ex I mean it's every year too, you know, with the injuries seventy eight, one, six, twenty seven. You know, he's just been banged up.
Speaker 2: A lot, lost launch angle, couldn't get the ball in the air. He did have a better expected batting average this year than any other year, so it kind of looks like he just conformed as a player. Really high batting average against fastballs and off speed, but dramatically low ex velocity against fastballs, so that's probably where that power was. Lastly, he stopped pulling the ball. A lot of ground balls, but he has a really high zone contact percentage, So I guess it's got to be like just do you love him? You know he's he's a switch hitter. He hit two eighty or higher against both pitch types in his limited bats this past year, which is solid. But he had a look at this home road split three point fifty one in LA two forty four.
Speaker 3: On the road. He's also just a much better hitter, you know, versus lefties as a righty, and you know, he's a switch hitter, so to seventy six as a right handed batter, and then two forty three is a left handed batter, and most of his have bats in his career has been as a you know, batting against righties. So I don't know, man, it's just the injuries, the inconsistency, and I'm probably doing a little bit of the over correction because I had him in so many spots last year because he qualified at so many spots, and that that has gone away as well. So yeah, I'm just not gonna be in on him so much. So second, second, and third, which is still it's nice for dueal eligibility, but last year was like second, third, short outfield. He had everything.
Speaker 2: So yeah, he's at one seventy. It's not the best, it's not the worst.
Speaker 3: It's fine.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. I'm not sure where I I This is one I'm not gonna walk away from, like us primering this to know exactly how I feel, because he way overperformed against Righty's where he typically looks like he just struggles, Like he hit two forty the year before, two thirty eight, the year before that, one ninety seven before that. Maybe that's him maturing as a hitter. But then when we go and look at some of the underlying stuff, well, he got worse at beryling. He doesn't have a great launch angle, you know, like his hert hit went down like okay, So then let me look here. Did I look at Babbitt here?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I didn't.
Speaker 2: He way over performed. I was just about to say, does this mean he had to hire Babbitt almost three forty and he's a two ninety career Babbit guy, So babbit overperformed kind of feels like he does get to hit two. But if he's a two sixty guy and is a ten thirty, he actually could be a deal. I could stomach it. I think I could stomach it. But again, it doesn't feel good. That's the genda here. That five through or really that's six through eight or six through nine, you're like allight, and then it's like ten through fifteen, it's like would you like thirty stolen bases? And then no, homers.
Speaker 3: These are guys that you take asmin l infielders when you're low on stolen bases. That's what they are, and that's not good because that's a big chunk of the second base position itself. So it looks like just really you need to invest early in whoever you like up top. Whatever the guy is up top that you like, just go for it and make sure you have him before you have to dig into this area.
Speaker 2: You're not wrong. It looks like there's five real second basemen. There's probably another five that you can talk yourself into, and there's a bunch of middle infielders. So that's positionally outside the top two hundred. Mikel Garcia, Jackson Holiday, Geloff, Colt, Keith, Brendan, Donovan, Brandon Law, Willie Castro, India Cabalio, cronin Worth who's first baseman. And Chris Morel, who qualifies a couple different spots. Think it might be more primary third now, but Jackson Holiday is super interesting, Like, you know, will you want to buy back in he hit one eighty nine. His XBA stunk, but I will say good barrel, good hard hit percentage. He just didn't know what the hell he was hitting hit a thirty three percent strikeout rate. If he just improves as a hitter in the next year, he has a lot of underlying stuff that I love on almost ten percent a launch angle, good hard hit numbers. I think he could bounce back. I'm gonna be honest with you, I'm probably gonna buy back in on the cheap. What are his his projections?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me pull him up here. I just this is one of those things like he will be if he starts spring hot, he will be the fast this riser of anybody. Two thirty four is a batting average projector ten homers, eight stolen bases in one hundred and twelve games.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's what I wanted to ask. Yeah, I mean I was so wrong about him last year, probably going to go down with the ship again. I think that's wrong again. I think, if you know, with a whole offseason of work at the major league level, the tweaking, how well they've done in developing those guys, he already has this good underlying base. If he is a two thirty hitter, I think he's hitting eighteen homers. If he's a two to fifty hitter, I think he's going over twenty and maybe you see him be more aggressive and his ADP is too ten, So I don't hate him at all. Also, just wanted to mention Jonathan India who's now a Royal, really good expected wOBA and batting average expected numbers. He hit fifteen thirty thirteen, fifteen homers, thirteen stolen bases last year in a pretty hitter friendly environment. It was kind of always the same hitter. He just learned to walk more and strike out a little bit less. Getting out of the ballpark. It does look like there's some squeakers that he might end up losing, but one of the lowest chase rates in all of baseball, one of the highest walk rates in baseball, and he gets the ball in the frickin air. Maybe he scores more runs. Maybe he's a fifteen to fifteen guy. He's probably pretty average, but I do feel like he could score quite a few more runs. You have anything on Jonathan India with the Royals now?
Speaker 3: I mean just excited to see him in a new spot, right, just a new environment, a new spots, not fighting for playing time every single day, so maybe he can relax and hit a little better. So That's what I'm keeping my fingers crossed for.
Speaker 2: You want a negative though, all ballpark. If he played all his games in Cincinnati, he'd have had twenty homers last year. If he played all his games in Kansas City last year the lowest home run total of eight. Yeah, had eight, which that would have shared with Boston, the A's, the Marlins. Those were the worst for him. So something to keep an eye on out. I don't think he's ever going to bounce crazy back. I do think maybe he could steal more that team does, like Aron, I know, Cincinnati did. You just got to stay healthy. India might be kind of cheap. He's down in the two seventies, but it's a it's another list of other players, like I think col Keith is interesting. We'll talk about him in the ranks. Geloff had a pretty rough year. Mikeel Garcia is probably the CVS version of those same guys, and as the Scott's like, he could steal thirty bases and whatnot.
Speaker 3: Bad batting averages in this area here. Yeah, you know, Cole Keith two away, morell way down there as well. Willie Castro in the second half was miserable after being an All Star, So yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with I guess I'm gonna go with the echo chamber a little bit. His position does stink, it's not great. Can you make do with it? Absolutely? Man, you miss out and you want to go and be like, all right, you know you can get two of the same type of players.
Speaker 3: I screwed up.
Speaker 2: I'm going to dominate stolen bases and I'm going to get Nico Horner and under as Jiminez. But then you are playing from behind him power. I just don't want to play from behind in power and not sure you need to make up stolen bases, But there you go. Let us do what you guys think On the second base primer, who the guys that you're digging? What did you dig out of this? And hopefully we brought some new insights to you guys. Next step, what do you want? What are we doing? Shortstop or third base?
Speaker 3: People are right in shortstop, we're going around the horn, So shorting.
Speaker 2: Around the horn perfect, We're gonna pass it over for a double play on shortstops. Next then going to third base, and then we'll have a big old outfield which we'll be dealing with. So make sure to go and check us out at in this League dot Com. That's where the ranks live. I am working on the redraft ranks hopefully going to be right around December, First plus Prospect and Dynasty. I'm also writing for the Black Book right now, we're doing stuff over on Fantasy Pro. So we got ranks coming, We got the whole thing happening. Also, looking in December is probably when I'm gonna be doing a best Ball or two maybe, and we will shoot that over to the ITL Army members if people want to check it out, so come and support us and join the groups as well at in this League dot Com. That's what you can do for indoes. Find us on the twitters at is it the Welsh, at Bogman Sports. We're on the other so socials as well. And you know we're doing this right around Thanksgiving, Happy holidays, and we will talk to you next time right here on in this league.
Speaker 3: Soil m HM