Speaker 1: Tired of the everyday routine.
Speaker 2: Ever dream of a life of romantic adventure, want to get away from it all?
Speaker 3: We offer you Escape.
Speaker 4: Escape Transcribe to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 2: You are standing outside a room horror gripping you, or before your eyes, seen through the trendsome window, the most beautiful girl in the world is about to die because of you.
Speaker 4: Today we escape from reality with the fascinating story of a girl who lived a weird second life. As John Jessel told it in his gripping story The Adaptive Ultimate.
Speaker 1: No, Daniel, I can't do it. You have a very interesting theory.
Speaker 5: It's more than a theory, doctor back. I've proved it it works. I tried my serum in tubricular guinea pigs and it cured them. They adapted themselves to the tubercular basillisen live. I tried my ceramon, a dog with rabies. He adapted himself too. I tried it on a cat the broken spine. The cat instantly adapted itself to its injury, so that the spine had time to knit and heal. Don't you see what a tremendous discovery this is. But think what that would mean in accident cases. There'd be no further need for emergency surgery. Don't you see that, no matter what the condition, the injury to the body are, a mere injection of my serum would permit the patient instantly to adapt himself to his condition and live.
Speaker 1: No matter what his injury. Exactly a serum made from insect from.
Speaker 5: A common fruit fly, the most adaptable of living organisms. Tear off a wing and it grows a new one. Tear off its head, even stick on a new head, and that too will adhere in time. Think of imparting that same adaptability to human.
Speaker 1: Beings to grow new heads. It has merital I'll please doctor back, all right, all right, No, seriously, I know this may be a great thing, but to permit you to experiment on a human being.
Speaker 5: The most hopeless case you can find, doctor Buck, someone already doomed.
Speaker 1: Well, if some day I discover in the hospital a hopeless case, understand it will be a hope lilist. And if the patient shall consent, then you will have your human guinea pig. Doctor Scott, your requisition for yourself a hopeless case? Omit me, here is your guinea pig.
Speaker 6: What is it?
Speaker 5: Doctor back tb Yeah, final.
Speaker 1: Stage, a matter of hours at most. She might have been attractive once, but now hair like string, skinny like a skeleton, and flesh like wax.
Speaker 5: Doctor Bark, you call us a fair test. I said hopeless, but I didn't say a corpse.
Speaker 1: The lady is returning to life such as it is. Well, Doctor Scott, I regret I have not a more palatable subject for your experiment. But this is what I promised, a hopeless kay.
Speaker 5: Sorright, I'll try it. Oh, what's your name?
Speaker 1: Let me see it's on the chart here, Zealous?
Speaker 5: How is i?
Speaker 1: Her name is Kira Zealas, young lady, permit me. I am doctor hermann Bach, chief of the staff, and I would like to introduce one of our promising young doctors.
Speaker 5: He wants it, dad, I suppose miss Zealous?
Speaker 7: Hello? Brown eyes? What your eyes are? Brown? Aren't they?
Speaker 5: Miss Ails? You see, I've perfected a syrup.
Speaker 7: Brown eyes.
Speaker 5: This, this serruh, might help you, but it has never been tried on a human being before. Well, I thought, if you have no objection, what.
Speaker 7: Are the odds?
Speaker 5: Odds? Well, actually you've everything to gain and.
Speaker 7: Nothing to lose.
Speaker 8: Well, how right you are? Okay, I'm all yours brown eyes. Go ahead, he spare a man away.
Speaker 5: Doctor Bach prepare her arm.
Speaker 1: Twenty four hours and she is yet alive. I would have said yesterday it would be impossible she should survive the night. So it is now forty eight hours and she actually seems better. But miracles such as this have happened before, and without serums a week and she still lives. Each day she becomes better. It is miraculous. The spots on her lungs are disappearing, her coughing is stopped. There is no sign of basilus in the culture. But even more amazing a reaction to abrasion skin punctures. Yesterday I took a blood specimen before I had once a sea. The puncture in her skin had closed, Yes, in thirty seconds. The ordinary person it takes a day two days for it to heal. With miss Kira Zelas thirty seconds. It is amazing. Ah, then I I will not dispute it. Your Sarum has worked a miracle. She is cured, and now I must just discharge her from the hospital.
Speaker 5: For doctor Bark.
Speaker 1: I had forgotten that time must come sometime. But you see, I must she is cured and we need the room.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, I know, but well, well she should be under observation. We don't know what effects will show up.
Speaker 1: I think, Daniel, you have an extraordinary interest in Miss Zellas. I have asked her to come here. She is outside. Shall we invite her in?
Speaker 5: Why? Yes, of course?
Speaker 1: Send in Miss Eras. Please now observe well your miracle, Miss Zellers, come in, Come in, sit down.
Speaker 7: Thanks. Oh hello brown eyes.
Speaker 5: Hello Kira.
Speaker 1: I have sent for you, Miss Zellas, because I have good news today. I am discharging you from the hospital. Oh yeah, today you are free to go. That pleases you madly, killer.
Speaker 5: You have people, perhaps a family.
Speaker 9: Aren't we all brothers and sisters under the skin?
Speaker 1: Misszillas. I will come to the point. I wish to make you a proposition. I mean purely scientific.
Speaker 7: As I know, an experiment.
Speaker 1: Precisely we are interested Doctor Scott and I to observe the further effects of the serum he gave you. Ye, I will pay you board and room and thirty dollars a week. You will live at my house. I have a housekeeper, missus Getz. She will look after you. Is that satisfactor.
Speaker 7: Wouldn't I be a fool? Say no?
Speaker 1: Excellent? Excellent?
Speaker 7: Does brown Eyes live there too?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 1: But doctor Scott will continue to have a clinical interest in the experiment. Miss Zillas have no fear.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 1: Yes, well it is now almost time for dinner. I will take you, Misszillas. You will join us, doctor Scott?
Speaker 5: Oh, yes fine, doctor barkmery, Well.
Speaker 1: We shall meet outside in what ten minutes? Misszill as, you wish to wait here or maybe outside a little fresh air?
Speaker 7: I think I could use a little a.
Speaker 1: Good There is a little park across the street. You will find benches there at the rest. We will meet at the front entrance in ten minutes.
Speaker 5: Kuck a back, nuck a buck? What is it? What's the matter?
Speaker 1: Some sort of commotion across the street from the park. Where is Kido?
Speaker 5: I thought you'd be here with you?
Speaker 1: Perhaps she is still over there in the par What.
Speaker 5: Do you support?
Speaker 1: Come on, huck a back?
Speaker 3: It is Terra.
Speaker 5: Let me throw please turra, let us prove me? Officer, what's happened? What is this? Why are you holding this?
Speaker 2: Later now?
Speaker 5: This woman? Yes, of course, what is it? What's the matter?
Speaker 3: Lenny, your lady friend here?
Speaker 11: Merely walks up to an old gent about six years so, picks up a nice hefty rock and beats his brains.
Speaker 5: Officer, there must be some awful mistake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, her mistake, cold blooded murder. I'm my sister.
Speaker 5: There's the wagon.
Speaker 3: Officer. You'd better come along too.
Speaker 11: Mister Monna Lisa here don't seem to be much in the mood for talking.
Speaker 3: We'll need someone to tell it.
Speaker 11: This sergeant her name.
Speaker 5: Kiu. This is terrible seeing you here like this. I've got to get you out of here. I've got to help you.
Speaker 7: When you were here.
Speaker 5: Listen, this is all a terrible mistake. If you'll tell me, well, yes, of course you Kurrie, you didn't kill that man.
Speaker 7: If I said yes, what would you do.
Speaker 5: Why I I'd tell him you weren't responsible. I'd tell him about the serum.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 5: I'd tell him I was my fault, that that somehow the seruma gave you caused your mind to snap something. That that would be the only explanation.
Speaker 9: You'd do this ruin your career, no doubt.
Speaker 7: Just to save me.
Speaker 5: Oh, yes, of course I would.
Speaker 7: And what would they do to me?
Speaker 5: I don't know exactly? Put you away? Under observation. Something in my answers no.
Speaker 9: Oh, I did not kill the man.
Speaker 7: Oh, don't worry. I won't be convicted.
Speaker 9: I'll take care of myself very well. I'll, as you say, adapt myself to the situation.
Speaker 1: All right now, mister Salvatory, continue, tell the card in your own words, precisely what happened This old.
Speaker 12: Man he sees by circus of peanuts from me every day for months, every day, and in this one day pull out is a pocket book. It's a bill fall, and I'm a look, it's the stuff with the bills, a big money. He's a salvatory. Can I make a change for twenty dollars? And I'm gonna laugh, I may say, mister, I'm a peanut the man. You take it the pinut till you pay me tomorrow. He said, thank you very much. You turn around, and then here's this name. As she picked up was a great, biggest stone and a cons him.
Speaker 5: It's a murder.
Speaker 1: I object, your honner, objections continue, mister Salvatory.
Speaker 12: She has nothing more to say.
Speaker 1: This is dame.
Speaker 12: She bend over and she reached in a pocket to take the money. I'm a grab of people who come police come.
Speaker 1: Mister Salvatory, can you describe this young lady to us?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 7: She I remember her very well.
Speaker 1: She's s she's a skinny, she's no beauty.
Speaker 12: You know you got the black suit, the brown hair, eyes, she don't know dark you know, maybe brown or blue?
Speaker 1: Thank you, mister Salvatory. You're witness.
Speaker 13: Mister Salvatory, you say the young lady the assailant had brown hair and dark eyes.
Speaker 12: See brown hair, dark blue eyes.
Speaker 13: And do you see the young lady in the courtroom? Oh see, she's a shit right to what's the matter, mister Salvatory. Are you pointing at missus Alis?
Speaker 3: See?
Speaker 13: May I ask the defendant to write? Please, missus Alis, will you kindly remove your hat?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 5: Doctor barcler her hairs, it's become the color of aluminum.
Speaker 3: Your honor.
Speaker 13: I submit that this defendant does not possess dark hair, nor if you will observe dark eyes. I am prepared therefore to submit a lock of her hair to be tested by any chemist the court may appoint to prove that the pigmentation is entirely natural. Now, mister Salvatory, do you still say that this is the young lady you saw in the park?
Speaker 1: I think she s ain't she?
Speaker 5: Good? Lord? Doctor Bark That hair of hers, did you see it? It was the color of aluminum. Sheautiful?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, beautiful. And so she has been acquitted. They call her innocent, and you I am a convict to your great principle of adaptability. But where will it end? You start with an idea if you wake up to discover you have created a monster.
Speaker 5: But she was acquitted. It was all a mistake.
Speaker 1: You really believe that? Yes, missus, she is heeled.
Speaker 9: Doctor she that woman in the newspaper cures here. You said she was so poor, such a church mouth. Oh you should see her.
Speaker 5: What do you mean, missus?
Speaker 7: So fine, so great.
Speaker 5: I'll go and talk to her, doctor Bark.
Speaker 7: Hello, brown eyes, Hello, Kira. Aren't you glad to see him?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yes, yes, of course. Oh, congratulations on your acquittal today we were there.
Speaker 7: I know I sensed it.
Speaker 9: I was hurt that you didn't come up and congratulated.
Speaker 5: Well there were photographersh Curra. You're hair it's black again, isn't it always?
Speaker 7: Don't you like him?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yes, yes, of course it's beautiful and I beautiful brown eyes, very very beautiful, And are you happy to have me back. Yes, m M, I always did like brown Eyes, Cura.
Speaker 9: Tell me, how do you like my new clothes?
Speaker 13: My guy?
Speaker 5: It's very nice, nice, it's exquisite.
Speaker 7: I have a whole new wardrobe, hat, shoes.
Speaker 5: Kira, where did you get the money? Money? You only had three dollars when you left the hospital.
Speaker 7: So I did, Kira.
Speaker 5: Kurry, you did take that wallet from the old man. Naturally you you did murder him, certainly.
Speaker 9: Oh, calm, don't look so shocked.
Speaker 7: I'm tired, brown Eyes.
Speaker 9: You'll excuse me if I appropriate doctor Bark's room.
Speaker 5: Good night, doctor Bark. We've got to do something, Yes, ten, you we do. I haven't slept a wink all night trying to think of what we can do.
Speaker 1: I've been here in the laboratory all night. I think I know what this sum of yours it has accomplished. A miracle. Yeah, it is the adaptive ultimate changes that take the ordinary person days or months. She accomplishes instantly. She walks into the sunlight. She is ten, she walks out. She is pale again. When she is in danger, she adapts. She could survive the electric chair of the hangman's noose. She was in danger in the courtroom. She adapted, She changed her whole appearance at will, so she could not be identified. I know, I know, you must not blame yourself. You could not know what you were creating. Now, this morning, I operated on one of your guinea pigs. I've found this. The pinnial blend hypertrophied. That is what causes it.
Speaker 5: But then then we could operate and and maybe change her back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she can adapt to anything, anesthesia included. How can we operate unless we get her consent? Well, perhaps you are dreaming, Daniel. Do you really think she will consent now now that she has power, perhaps more power than any human being ever possessed before, aw for evil, and she has already killed one man remembered.
Speaker 5: But if we watched, the doctor kept her on the guard.
Speaker 1: Yeah again Pigmalion falls in love with his Galateea. No, Daniel, no, she must be destroyed. We must perform surgery at once. She'll die, she will go back to what she was with, but a few hours to live. It is best than you.
Speaker 10: Yes, I suppose, so, yes, yes, missus Gatz mm h okay, what is it, doctor bark?
Speaker 1: And so perhaps she is also telepathic? She sensed what we were about to do, and now it is too late. What do you mean, missus Zelas is gone, disappeared.
Speaker 5: Doctor Bark Did you call for me?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Daniel, have you seen the evening paper yet?
Speaker 5: No? Not yet?
Speaker 1: Then here, after two months there is news of our miss Kira Zellas.
Speaker 5: What let me see there where? Oh? The surprise of the evening was the appearance of John Callen, Ambassador at large, diplomat extraordinary, the man slaated to head the forth coming World Atomic Energy Control Commission. Mister Callen, one of Washington's confirmed bachelor's squire, the gorgeous cur Zales.
Speaker 1: You see she has become gorgeous. I have little etching.
Speaker 5: Miss ailis the dazzling beauty who affects a dark wig by day and a white one at night, a.
Speaker 1: Great power of adaptability courtesy of doctor Daniel Scott. Dark by day, white by night.
Speaker 5: Or what are we going to do? Doctor? The World Atomic Energy Control the one real hope of world peace? Curia isn't interested in peace?
Speaker 1: What can we do? Surgery? I know the politics. We must wait and see. You must wait and see how fie your mad woman will go.
Speaker 13: Washington is a gog with rumors about the romance between glamorous Key Razales and John Callen, the newly appointed head of the World Atomic Energy Control. One of the most powerful political figures on.
Speaker 14: The globe, John Callen leaves tomorrow for the crucial atomic energy conferences at Genevas, whitson and sailing on the same boat as the exotic miss Kirazalies, with whom his name has been frequently linked. Rumor has it miss Ailis acts as a sort of unofficial assistant to mister Callen, thus making how one of the most important women in.
Speaker 9: The work.
Speaker 1: Lamorous exotic of such fragile stuff as world peace fashion these days, Daniel, I wonder what she intends to do some of the calling it dinner time.
Speaker 5: Oh, shit's still, doctor Buck. I don't see who it is.
Speaker 7: Yes, Curra, hello, brown eyes, there I come in.
Speaker 10: Yes, of course, Oh, an exotic guinea pig.
Speaker 9: Good evening, doctor Bob. I'm not intruding, of course not. You're very kind John and I you read about mister Callen. Yes, yes, we're leaving for Europe tomorrow for the conference is in Switzerland. He had a series of meetings to attend to night, so I told him I would stay here. Staying here, I took the liberty of saying you were my uncle, doctor Buck. John will call for me in the morning on his way to the airport. We're leaving it eat. I do hope I'm not too late for dinner.
Speaker 1: Not at all. In fact, we're very happy to have you here, Aunt be doctor Scott.
Speaker 5: Kira, Hello, brown Eyes? What are you doing out here in the garden waiting for you? You knew i'd follow you, of course?
Speaker 7: Have you missed me?
Speaker 5: You know I have? Or Kira listened to me? Do you love this, John Callum?
Speaker 7: When I want love, I'll come to you, brown Eyes.
Speaker 5: Well, then, why what is it? Money?
Speaker 6: Money?
Speaker 7: I don't need money any more. What does an empress need with money?
Speaker 5: Empress?
Speaker 9: That's what you have made me the most powerful woman in the world ever known, John Callan. He's supposed to be important, and in my hands he's clee to be molded as I wish.
Speaker 7: Do you see what that means?
Speaker 5: Yes? I say, you're hold the fate of the world in your head.
Speaker 7: Exactly to do with as I want and I shall. Would you like to rule the world with me? Brown eyes?
Speaker 5: Cure you're evil? What is good?
Speaker 7: What's evil? Come here, brown eyes, look at me and forget such things?
Speaker 5: Are you asleep? Doctor buck? Sleep? Who can sleep? Cura is insane? Doctor? Do you know what she's planning to deadhead? Oh? Maybe maybe we could get to this callon and then what well, if we could talk to him, tell him, tell him.
Speaker 3: Tell him?
Speaker 1: What didn't I talk to you? Would you listen?
Speaker 6: Issue?
Speaker 5: Oh she's gone asleep.
Speaker 1: I tell you there's only one remedy of surgery. It is the only hope.
Speaker 5: But she'll never consent the surgery, doctor bark. And she's probably immune to anesthesia.
Speaker 1: Maybe not maybe not all anesthesia? Downstairs in my laboratory, I have a tank of ethyl claudide.
Speaker 5: You mean, operate here tonight.
Speaker 1: Tonight, right here? And she sleeps?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 9: Then?
Speaker 1: Now stop staring down at her. Or the anesthesia onto the corne hurry.
Speaker 5: That ought to be enough to anesthetize an elephant onto.
Speaker 1: The face quickly, all right?
Speaker 6: Then?
Speaker 1: Tightly?
Speaker 5: She's forcing my hands, I clear, hold, she's two stark folds.
Speaker 9: Did you think you could make me unconscious? You trying to operate on me? Is that what you were planning? How are you going to slit my throat with that scalpel.
Speaker 7: Look, I don't say you'll see I plunged your knife into my heart. I withdraw it and the wound is healed. Now go away, both of you. I want to sleep. John will be calling for me at.
Speaker 6: Eight I'm past five in the morning.
Speaker 1: Two and a half hours month, she will leave and the world will be one step near a chaos. We are scientists, then we have a responsibility to civilization. We must find a way.
Speaker 5: To destroy the carbon dioxider.
Speaker 1: Carbon dire It's a.
Speaker 5: Fundamental biological law. No human can survive in its own waste product. Carbon dioxide is a human waste, Doctor Bark. If we could fill the room where she's sleeping with carbon dioxide, she'd become unconscious. You could operate. And who you're.
Speaker 1: Calling the hospital? Have you to have them send over two tanks of carbon dioxide?
Speaker 5: Do you think it should work?
Speaker 1: Then we must try anything. Hello, this is doctor buch Let me talk to surgery a hurry. It is an emergency. The tube is ready. You've sealed the crack under the door. You close the window, all right, let us start the gas. Then through the transom above the bedroom door, you will be able to observe her reactions. You placed the lighted candle inside the.
Speaker 5: Room, Yes, doctor, I lost the can on the table.
Speaker 1: Observe it carefully, all right, when it goes out, you're miss Kira's Alas should be unconscious. Then can you see inside the room from up there?
Speaker 5: Yes, doctor, candle is flickering. Doctor Wait, no, it's still flickering. It's just gone out.
Speaker 1: Doctor excellent. It means there is now a concentration of eight or ten percent carbon dioxide. The average person would long since be dead.
Speaker 5: Doctor god Dan, what in just a minute. Yes, Yes, she's breathing much more quickly now convulsively.
Speaker 1: Eh Jan's stock breathing.
Speaker 5: She she's opening her eyes now she's she's getting up, getting up, She's staggering, holding her throat. Doctor, she's gasping, moving towards the door. She's trying to unlock the So she's seen me. She she's trying to try.
Speaker 6: What is it?
Speaker 5: She's collapsed, it's so.
Speaker 11: Yes, now you do, doctor Buck. I'm John callow John. Yes, yes, of course, I haven't taken you away from anything.
Speaker 1: No, No, we were performing some surgery, my associated I I have a miniature surgery here for emergencies, and we have just finished.
Speaker 3: Is at the patient on the table?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yes, is she? Yes? She is dead?
Speaker 3: Too bad looking creature, wasn't she?
Speaker 1: She was a charity case.
Speaker 3: Well, I won't keep you as Kira here.
Speaker 1: No, she changed her plans. She said there were some things she wished to do when she would meet you at the airport.
Speaker 11: Well, that's a woman's prerogative business changing plans. I'd better get a move on.
Speaker 3: Then.
Speaker 11: Nice to see you, doctor. I hope you'll meet again when I return from Europe.
Speaker 1: Yes, that will be nice, mister Callan, And good luck on your mission.
Speaker 3: And thank you sir.
Speaker 1: Goodbye, Yeah, goodbye, Well Daniel, maybe we would get some sleep now.
Speaker 5: Then, huh, I'm sorry, doctor, I was daydreaming. She's lovely, isn't she lovely? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then lovely? May she always be in your memory.
Speaker 4: Escape is produced and directed by Norman McDonald. Today we have presented transcribed the adaptive Ultimate by John Jessel, adapted for radio by Chat Spurgeon and Herb Futrand, with editorial supervision by John Duncle, starring Edgar Barrier as Doctor Bach and Stacy Harris as Dan Scott. Feature in the cast were Elsie Holmes, Frank Gerstel, Larry Dobkin, Tom Charlesworth and Anne Morrison. Special music was arranged and played by Ivand at Mars.
Speaker 2: Next week, you are trapped in a dark, empty house, a girl lying dead at your feet, and surrounding you closing in on you. Are the band of Killers, deadly enemies of your country and yourself, and they are intent on murdering you.
Speaker 4: Next week we escape with a famous story Confidential Agent by Graham Green. Be sure to tune in at the same time next week, once again we offer you escape. This is Roy Rowan speaking for CBS, the Columbia Broadcasting System