Speaker 1: And an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Hey, we did this in LA. We're gonna do it exclusively for the Dodgers Audio Network in Miami. I'm joined right now by Marlin's manager and former first base coach and field coordinator for the Dodgers, and he meant a lot more than that to so many. Clayton McCullough, Clayton, you look the same from last week, you know.
Speaker 1: What, David, I hope I didn't age that much in a week now. Maybe in September. Hey, I saw earlier today.
Speaker 2: I got to witness some of the new ideas that you're implementing here where Wednesday's starting pitcher was throwing a live BP. What was the thought behind that.
Speaker 1: I think we believed organizationally that it was a way to train and practice a little differently, to make there your practice setting, you know, a little more representative of the game some ways.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: For the hitters, you think the more times you get to face, you know, a live arm and see a delivery and see pitches and gain it bats that way is a terrific thing for them. And on the pitching side too, to see how your your pitches are reacting, you know, two hitters. You know, maybe it ramps up the practice intensity a little bit where you know, you're kind of getting it closer to what you know, your game reps are gonna are gonna feel like. And we believe, you know, hopefully in time it you know, helps guys with command, you know, just helps them, you know, from start to start, be able to you know better somewhat have the that feeling in between closer to what the game is going to be like.
Speaker 2: You're an open minded guy, obviously, when that idea was presented to you, what was your first reaction? You know what?
Speaker 1: I think they last year organizationally had the lower levels of the our league had experimented with it, and so we came into this year and wanted to try to run this thing out more from top to bottom. And I like the idea.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I like the idea. I think it's you know, again, like trying to make our practices a little more difficult, make our training again more representative of what you're going to see in the game. And so yeah, I've had an open mind to it, and I appreciate our guys for them, you know, embracing it. And you know, giving it a shot because we believe it's going to you know, pay dividends for us as we move forward.
Speaker 2: I've heard of pictures basically competing against their stuff on the track man the iPad and side sessions anyways, So I guess, if they're going to do that, why not get that type of experience.
Speaker 1: Right And and our pitching coaches have been right there, and like each setting is a little different. Sometimes they're out there maybe you know, they there's still their work, you know, maybe they're working on O pitches or they're working on a two K you know, breaking balls or how to finish or sequencing. So it's still a very similar mindset to how they're you know, maybe approaching that session and trying to get out of it now with the extra stimulus of having a hitter in there, but also you know, helping them control the effort level to keep it in a place where you know, everyone feels feels good with but you know, practicing a little bit more aggressively. Or we believe, you know, we believe it's gonna help you know, our guys, and I think we just viewed it like what we think is best for the Miami Marlins and our and our group, and I thought it was you know, it's it's worth a shot now and moving forward. Clayton McCullough is our guest. And it's a testament to Clayton and his coaching staff that at Dodger Stadium, how hard your team still plays all twenty seven outs. You've got to be proud of that that you've already established that this early in the season. That is and in credit to our our our players, I think that's kind of been it. You just you just keep playing. I mean we've you know, we tried to. We've had some games where it didn't look great at the end of the game, but like you know, you just keep going. If you're able to get you know, a Tanner Scott up and get hot in the ninth inning, or if you're able to get Alvarado for the Phillies up in the ninth in and even though you come up short, like that's in some ways it's a it's a small victory within a you know, within a long season. So that's it. You just you keep playing the entire way through because this is this is the major leagues. Like you're a professional, like you know, we're just gonna you just keep going. Every bat you take is you know, get invested into it, and you know, when the games over, it's over. But like you know, until then, you just keep on. You know, you guys just keep playing, and you kind of start to create a little identity for yourself that you're a group that's just gonna, you know, play hard and play all the way through the game.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna like this. But last week at Dodger Stadium, the Dodger stole three bases against the Marlins, and your guy show Hey o Tani was behind all of it because you taught him really well on what to identify. I saw him in the dugout giving Woodwards some tips. So your legacy lives on to this day, even though it might be against the Marlins.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess in some ways that's great to hear. In other ways, it doesn't feel nearly as fun being on the other end of it as he used to be watching it. But he's a special talent and he's very smart, and we all know how community is to his craft and everything he does. So I mean that's something like our group is working extensively just overall to try to you know, improve upon and you know, so yeah, but it was better looking at had it from my former my vantage point than it currently is.
Speaker 2: Hey, you had a great view last year in Miami when Otani became the first player in baseball history to reach fifty to fifty. What do you remember most about that day?
Speaker 1: I think you kind of like how he just had such a sense for the moment, Like I could be wrong, but it felt like he was getting close and like he wanted it to you know, he wanted it to happen, right, And I think, you know, he got on there and he got the first stolen base, right, and he gets to fifty and like you're like, this guy's gonna do it today, Like he just has like this, he just has that you know, that knack for the forty forty and so and then I remember when it happened. I was actually I was more so excited for him and happy for him, like wow, what a you know, because you see all that goes behind the scenes for you know, how much time he puts into his craft and how professional he is with everything. So I think that type of output in a season was almost unheard off. And to be there and see it firsthand, but it to be and happened to a person, and that you have a lot of respect for their professionalism. Like I was, just like, this is so cool for him, and you know, but I'm his good moments can wait for another three days.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go. You got the championship ring the team and Otani presented it to you in LA. Where is it now?
Speaker 1: Safe and secure?
Speaker 2: Okay? Yes, don't wear it around of Marlin' spark every day.
Speaker 1: No no, don't wear it around no, no, it's safe and secure. David, that was a cool gesture by everyone. I appreciated it.
Speaker 2: Hey, we appreciate you, Clayton McCullough. I know you're wearing the teal and black and orange, but certainly your roots are with the Dodgers in a lot of ways, and you made such an impact on so many. Thank you again for the time, and I don't get tired of talking to you, So I'll come see you the next two days too.
Speaker 1: Come over here and see me, David. I love seeing you, my friend. Take care