Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 3: Two nothing, It's Alba not so fast co hole Breath.
Speaker 2: With John Taylor.
Speaker 4: I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner of a two man loose.
Speaker 3: And Rick Dolly Wall I had a cherry tree up a little Ricky. I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and bunch on those cherry years.
Speaker 2: Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 5: Welcome into the Paul Carson Studio Old Boy Productions. Hi am Ryan Henderson alongside Rick Dollywall. Derek Wong is our director today and Quinn Taylor's producing the program.
Speaker 1: How are you, sir?
Speaker 3: Lovely? Couldn't be better?
Speaker 1: Donnie off today?
Speaker 3: Why? Why?
Speaker 5: And before anybody gets scared, because he was sick last week and everything this is see Donnie never misses a day that he's owed off. Okay, So when I was off for the birth of my son Ben Ben, yes, Donnie worked the Friday.
Speaker 1: Yes, because I was off.
Speaker 3: He didn't forget that. So then he.
Speaker 5: Put that in his brain and needed it to be made whole. And so that is what is happening today. And then this Friday, you're off.
Speaker 3: I'm off.
Speaker 5: You're going to the Big Smoke, your second home. You're going to Toronto.
Speaker 3: I got stuff. I got stuff to do in Toronto.
Speaker 5: So Donnie's gonna work this Friday, and I believe he'll be off again next Monday because he never misses a day.
Speaker 3: Off, so he's got to get those days off.
Speaker 5: He's apparently very busy today. He might be detailing his car for rumors that I'm hearing in.
Speaker 3: The sailing car. You take it, he's not going to do it himself.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a good point. That's a good point.
Speaker 5: But there was an incident involving his vehicle that somebody in the studio might have been responsible for.
Speaker 6: I left I left my fat my five guy Burger rapper in car last night, and this morning I walked outside. His doors were open because the bear went in there, and.
Speaker 5: We might have a very angry don Taylor back on the show tomorrow.
Speaker 3: You left after this, You left Burgers Rap?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I went to Rap Guys yesterday and I left my wrappers in his car, and so the bear smells the burger. He left his car unlocked. So it's like fifty to fifty of whose fault it really was?
Speaker 3: That? Oh boy, Yeah, amazing trouble now, So we'll see what kind of mood Donnie is in tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Rick, Can you believe it? It's World Cup week? The World Cup is here. Yes, I came with it. It's it's crazy, you know, we've for so long, it's been in twenty twenty six. It'll be here or you know, six months from now, it'll be here. It's here man. Friday noon, Canada's first match in Toronto as they take on Bosnia at twelve o'clock our time. Then of course things shift here to Vancouver. But the World Cup it actually opens Thursday in Mexico City at noon our time. Mexico takes on South Africa. That's the first match of the World Cup. But Canada gets things underway noon on Friday. We'll maybe talk a little bit more about that and their injury situation, which every day it seems to get worse somehow. As the show goes along, we do have a jam packed show, and by jam packed it's guests wise, we're jam packed we've got Elliott Frieman coming up at eleven from Vegas, Elliet. It'll talk about all the things happening with the Stanley Cup Final and other league matters. Team broke the trade request and that had a new chapter to today. We'll talk about that. Scott Wheelers going to join us around ten thirty. He of course, he was alm with us about a month ago. Rick, he's the prospects writer for the Athletic National prospects reporter for the Athletic and he was in Buffalo over the weekend for the NHL Draft combine.
Speaker 1: So we'll talk to Scott about that coming up to ten thirty.
Speaker 5: But next in our next segment is CEO and President Rick of the Sports Corporation NHL Agency. He's NHL agent as well to the stars he's got speaking of the Santa Cup Final, Logan stan Covid, Seth Jarvis, you'r Slevkowski, Brandon Point. But he also represents Brendan Gallagher and that's why we have Jerry Johansson on the show in our next segment to talk about Brendan and full disclosure. We take this interview around nine fifteen this morning, and he revealed a very interesting nugget rick when it comes to the Vancouver Canucks and Brendan Gallagher.
Speaker 3: Well, I've been talking to Jerry since Friday and he got permission from Montreal to talk to teams about Brendan Gallagher. Brendan Gallagher mentioned in Montreal that he wants to play in Vancouver. It's his home, his dad runs the Delta Academy, it's you know, he lives in the twas In area. So Jerry Johansson got permission to talk to teams over the weekend. He met with Brendan and Montreal for breakfast. They went over a bunch of teams on the list that Brendan said I would like to go to. Obviously Vancouver one of them. So Johansen did call the Vancouver Canucks. He's already called the Canucks, and the Canucks have showed interests a lot of moving parts. And when I say moving parts, the drafts coming out. They were busy with the combine all that stuff, So that's what I meant by moving parts. But the Canucks are showing interests in Brendan Gallagher. They want to improve the dressing room, they want to improve the culture that Caducks dressing them in the past two years, we're stressing him in the National Hockey League. This new regime is going to fix that, and you can help fix that with guys like Brendan Gallagher. But he's got one year left at six point five million on his contract, which could be troublesome for some teams. The good thing to know here is that the Montreal Canadians are really helping in the process for Jerry and Brandon to try to make this happen and find him a new home. So there is a list of teams that Brendan's got, Vancouver's on him. They're not the only team on it, but the process has started. Jerry has called Vancouver and Vancouver has told him there is interest. They could have said no, you know, I see this all. Yeah, they could have said no, yes because of the price tags yes boy five million. But the initial response from the Canucks is yes, we have interest.
Speaker 5: That's an interesting point, Rick, because you know, I think sometimes people go two plus two weeks four. It doesn't always happen that way, right, Look, it doesn't just because Brendan Gallagher says he wants to come from here, just because of.
Speaker 1: All those things. Happened.
Speaker 5: Maybe Ryan Johnson and the Canucks don't want to take up a roster spot for Brendan Gallagher. No disrespect to Brendan, but you know, maybe they maybe they have somebody else carved out for that space.
Speaker 1: All of those things.
Speaker 3: Soul is diminished, he's a little bit older, but boyle boy.
Speaker 5: But the fact we're hearing that there is interest from the Canucks that is that, you know, affirms things that, yeah, maybe this marriage will end up happening. It's it's it's funny because in years past, Rick, that's six and a half million that could have got the Canucks like a first round draft pick from Montreal, right if you because if because of the flat cap and you know, they're obviously in a much different position than Montreal is and all those things, and so that's not gonna happen this time around.
Speaker 1: I don't know what a trade will end up looking like.
Speaker 5: But they're not they're the habs don't have They're not like, oh my goodness, we're pressed up against it. This is the guy we got to move, So we're gonna pay a premium to get off. Right, That's not happening anymore. With the way the cap is going bonkers through the roof. So the Cannucks. By the way, I for wondering, I think according to puck Beatia, they got twenty one and a half twenty one million of CAP space for next season.
Speaker 3: But Ryan Johnson said on the weekend in an interview, we're not gonna spend crazy.
Speaker 1: They're not gonna splash money around.
Speaker 3: They're not gonna spend They're not gonna be after the Alex Tucks of the world. If Tuck hits so July first, they're not gonna spend a whack of money on July first, like some of the previous regimes have here in the last six seventy eight years.
Speaker 5: Just quickly, while we're on that subject, because this is something you've brought up previously. Michael mccaron out of Minnesota. Yeah, uh, he is appending UFA. He came over at the tre deadline from Nashville to Minnesota. Joe Smith and Michael Russo at the Athletic this morning dropped their mail bag where they take fans questions and they respond to them, and one of them was about mccarran's future, and they are both reporting. Russo and Smith are reporting that it looks as though he's close to re signing in Minnesota on a long term contract. They threw out the numbers of three and a half million per season with a five or six year term. So and by the way, that discussion he wanted to stay in Minnesota made it clear he likes the Midwest all those things, so it lined up for him.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's why he's jumping the que not going to dry for.
Speaker 3: He say, he's a massive, massive center who you know, he can duke it out with all the best. He kills penalties. He played higher up in the lineup for Minnesota in the playoffs. He could play third line center, So boy, there was going to be a lineup. I heard there was going to be a lineup for the guy on July first. If he hit July first, it doesn't look like he's gonna do it.
Speaker 5: So over the weekend, Rick NHLD Draft Combine happening in Buffalo. This is where the physical testing and the interviews happened at the back half of the week. I think the testing portion of it happened on Saturday. Where you see these guys on the bike, they do their vertical jumps, pull ups, all these sorts of things, and then they interview with the teams, and so you've been hearing things out of that draft combine. Again, this is the first chance for a lot of teams to sit down with players one on one and have an interview with them essentially and ask them a whole bunch of questions. So what did you hear out of the combine from the weekend?
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, look, I want to say this, two and a half weeks we are away from one of the biggest drafts in Canucks franchise history. Third overall, pick twenty fourth overall, pick four picks in the top twenty one ten picks overall. This is going to help Ryan kickstart the rebuild. The combines over interviews, testing all done, all the data has been compiled. It's going to be fun to see how this shapes out. The four guys to keep an eye on if you're a Canucks fan are Gavin McKenna, Caleb maholtra At, Chase Reed, and Ivar Stenberg. Those are the four I think if you're a Canuck and I'm gonna say something about Chase Reid. Early in the season, the Canucks had Verhoff ranked really high. Chase Reid came out from behind. And I'm telling you, Ryan, he has climbed and climbed and climbed. He's a defenseman. Yeah, out of Sue Saint Marie. But he passed all the other defenseman for the Canucks.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 3: Verhoff was so high on that list early in the season. But Caleb maholtre we all know the connection to Manny, the new Canucks head coach. So they took some of these guys out for dinner, right, yep, right, So you know, I don't know which one of these guys at dinner, Uh they took out, but I heard one of the prospects ordered, Uh wohoo, wagog you rehearse, just stop. You think of a steak expert, sit.
Speaker 6: Again, Wagu wagu steak. Yeah, it's a big deal. It's Japanese.
Speaker 1: I think it's the top end cut of steak.
Speaker 3: It is. It's a top end steak. Yeah. So how much would this state?
Speaker 1: Cause do Quinn did some research?
Speaker 5: You found a steaks a picture of Wahoo, or you found a steak cooast Though Quinn Quinn found a steakhoast in Buffalo and one of their specialties, if not their specialty, is Wagu steak.
Speaker 3: So I was told I don't know which one. I was just told one of these kids ordered a Wagu or wag. This is a this is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a wagon premium.
Speaker 3: So it's from Japan. Yeah, it's supposed to be one of the best steaks in the world. Yeah wow yeah, way is that the size of the portion you get the you know, the different size the ninety dollars steak at the restaurant's only a six ounce.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See that's how that's joke.
Speaker 3: I'm paying ninety bucks for this wagon for six inces, and and it's.
Speaker 6: Half of this I believe probably you probably get some mashed potatoes or vegetables.
Speaker 3: I don't care about the side dish. How big is the actual steak? Quinn? Six ounces?
Speaker 1: Six ounces?
Speaker 3: That's that's probably that's probably just the cut of it.
Speaker 5: An eight ounce or a ten ounce steak or something that's gotta be. But see, so here's the thing. Okay, so this is what I'm curious about. Okay, So you're the player, because again you're being tested by everything that you do, right, it's a.
Speaker 1: Test by the organization. I'm not ordering the most expensive thing. That's a test that's a test.
Speaker 3: That's not a test. Yes, no, I you know what. I asked a couple of scouts about these dinners, and I'm gonna tell you something. How do they treat the waitresses? Do they say please?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you? Because down the road they're gonna have to deal with equipment managers and how have you with your equipment managers? Do you say thank you for taking my bag out to the bus, Thanks for doing this. So there's a lot of little things they look at dinner. I don't think that you're telling it's weird. Okay, okay, what about this?
Speaker 1: Okay, what about this? What about this? Because because we've heard other things, what about this?
Speaker 5: What if you order like the double cheeseburger, They're gonna be going, what's this guy's nutrition?
Speaker 1: Diet going on?
Speaker 5: Like I think you go to play Jane, you go like a chicken caesar salad. That's what I would do. I like the safety safest, it's not expensive.
Speaker 3: I have sources that tell me that's what the city is like, right, A chicken caesar salad. Yeah yeah, see yeah, see chicken sesar salad. I'm in a bar that's pretty clean. I'm in a restaurant in Buffalo and I'm not kid, I'm ordering this the best thing on that. Are you a kidding?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: Get test.
Speaker 5: This guy. This guy, we took him out for dinner and he ordered the most expensive item. What does that say about his character?
Speaker 6: Or is it him being like, yeah, I'm big time, I'm gonna order the ninety dollars. See that is true. There is that. That's a bold move. If you're making a ninety dollars steak. Yeah, for your draft. It's a job interview basically essentially, yes, you're ordering the most expensive thing on that.
Speaker 5: But you're right, there is there is like a cockiness almost like a bold steak.
Speaker 3: I have NOI is shoes with that kid ordering the Wago steak if you did at which I believe is true. But at the end of the day, take what's best on the menu? Are you kidding me? It's on the Canucks tab?
Speaker 1: I know, but exactly you, Derek? Do you have that?
Speaker 5: Jeff Merrick tweet Okay, so this is the other pieces these interviews these guys go through. So Merrick tweeted this out and we'll talk to Scott about this as well. Merrek tweeted this over the weekend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 5: I told the New York Islanders put a brick in front of run of the prospects and ask what they could do with it.
Speaker 3: I know. I heard some stuff too on the weekend about they do this right, it's all mental. They got their psychology coaches in there and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: What if what if they said I'd like to smack you in the head with it or something.
Speaker 3: Well, it's just a little at the end. It is at the end of the day. At the end of the day, it's the eye test, you know, speed, size, skill, all that. Yeah, I mean this.
Speaker 5: Is yeah, it's it's it's it's psychology, it's it's it's if we try and throw you off your game, how do you how do you react?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Two, there's that standpoint Peter Puck's telling us that steak is three pounds three pounds that photo Quinn showed.
Speaker 9: I don't know how you not ounces three pounds three pounds, So that would be so that wouldn't be on the wedge. That's that's like bananas, Okay, So let me get this into the Canucks interviewed six foot seven London Knights defenseman Maxim.
Speaker 3: Solakovski good job at the combine on the week. You don't know if I'm right or wrong. I it sounds close Solakowski, Maxim. I think he's one of the tallest guys okay draft Uh he is, well if he's six foot seven, six seven. But there's two guys in Ontario right now. I think one guy's six 's eight. But I know the Canucks interviewed six foot seven London Knight's defenseman Maxim Solakowski at the combine. We'll see where Maxim Solakowski go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's interesting. We'll talk more about this is the show goes along, because Drant's had a big piece at the Athletic talking about guys they had interviewed for that twenty fourth pick, Rick the second that the second of the two first rounders, and some names that they talk to at the combine. But the one interesting thing was, you know, and you bring this up with the with the volume of picks they have this year, they had the most interviews probably they've ever had as an organization because they got to talk to everybody under the side and because of all these picks.
Speaker 1: It's a great thing.
Speaker 3: The right thing. By the way, they can't afford any misses at this draft. No, the first four picks have to play in the NHL. Like, there's a lot of pressure on this draft, I think, but four picks in the top forty one, so the margin for air is small.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, it's non exist especially that top one. Can you imagine if they whiff on this third overall draft pick. I can't imagine.
Speaker 3: Actually.
Speaker 5: On the other side, as mentioned, Jerry Johansson, NHL agent and president and CEO of the Sports Corporation's gonna join us talk about Brendan Gallagher.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we mentioned this.
Speaker 5: He also represents Jonathan Karamaki, so he's gonna tell us about the Karamaki's off stating updated updated Now he's doing the shoulder all of that. So we'll talk to Jerry on the other side. Ten thirty, Scott Wheeler from the Athletics going to join us talk a little bit more about the combine Friedman and eleven. So we've got everything covered. Thanks for tuning in on this Monday morning, everybody. I'm Ryan Henderson alongside Rick Dollywall. It's Donny do the team on check.
Speaker 7: Donnie and Dolly. The team is supported by Ableauctions Dot CA closing your business, we can help.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 3: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 4: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, Please email sales at able Auctions dot ca.
Speaker 3: That's sales at a b l E Auctions dot Ca.
Speaker 5: Monday and all of our guests today are brought to you by by Jazz and our friends at Basont Motors. Bright deals, better drives are ahead at Bassant Hit the Road with huge savings going forward. Stop by their dealership located at one six three one five Fraser Highway in Fleetwood, or check them out online at BASA and T Motors dot com. We are joined now by Jerry Johansson, the President and CEO Rick of the Sports Corporation. His agency represents Braden Point r I, Slefkowski, Seth Jarvis, Logan stankovin Brendan Gallagher just to name a few, and.
Speaker 1: Jerry joins us now. Jerry, thanks for doing this today. How are you?
Speaker 10: I'm good, guys, Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we appreciate it.
Speaker 5: So this time last week Brendan Gallagher kind of shocked the sports world where he admitted that, you know, he could see the writing on the walls. Time with the Montreal Canadians was coming to an end and he would wouldn't mind coming home, potentially to Vancouver.
Speaker 1: So we're a week later.
Speaker 5: Where do things stand right now with Brendan and the habs and yourself and where's where's the picture at?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 10: I think you're what you said was correct, and I just think we're working on the details now about what team and and you know, just sort of reaching out to different clubs, and you know, it takes a little time to put this together, you know, especially the teams are so busy right now. They're at the combine they just left, the drafts coming up. But I do think in due course we'll get Brennan's settled somewhere. He's still got some juice for sure, some gas in the tank.
Speaker 3: Jerry, have you had the one on one with Brendan to talk about you know, what teams? Uh, where do I end up? Have you had that one on one with him yet.
Speaker 10: Jerry, Yeah, it was. Yeah, we had we had breakfast in Montreal a couple of days ago, and it was a really good meeting. Obviously, it's you know, it's emotional and it's a big, big thing, you know, so you know, just really talked about, you know, the next steps, which we're sort of into right now. It wasn't very specific necessarily, just really about the idea of moving on and moving forward.
Speaker 3: He Mentionedvancouver. Did that surprise you, Jerry that you know, you don't hear players mention another team, but he mentioned Vancouver. Jury did did that take you back a little? Not? Really?
Speaker 10: It was kind of obvious. I mean, he grew up there, played there, you know, was really successful there. You know, has a house there, his family's there, you know, so that would be normal. And we talked about other teams as well, so you know, obviously, you know, Vancouver is going to have to you know, you know, make get things squared away on their end if this is going to work. And and you know, but I do know that you know, Kent Hughest in Montreal's is very cooperative and really it's just going through the routine of you know, checking in with teams and following up and you know, sort of it always seems to work out, right.
Speaker 3: Jerry, have you talked to Vancouver. Is their interests to bring the kid home?
Speaker 10: I think initially they expressed interest and but but they have moving parts too, right, So you know, it's one of work. We're pretty close to what the teams are doing, but we really don't know going on inside. You know their operations, and they do have a lot of things happening right the draft and free agents, and there's a lot coming up here. So I do think it's on their desk and I do think they have interest. It's just a matter of whether it can work or not. And I think that's always the case. Until it's done, it's never done.
Speaker 3: As you guys know, Jerry, is the contract troublesome? I mean, this is where you come in because you're so good at your job. But is that contract troublesome to move?
Speaker 10: I don't think so. I mean there's always a way to work it out. I mean, certainly there's a little more flexibility with money coming up, and you know, and and obviously you know Montreal is working closely with us to make something work. So I think when all parties are on the same page. There's always a way to make it work.
Speaker 5: At what point, Jerry, did Brendan start to maybe look at things this year and think that maybe his time in Montreal was going to come to an end at the end of the season.
Speaker 10: I'm not sure. Probably the first time he got healthy scratch to magic, yeah, he never never happened, And you know, I think that was, you know, a big moment, and yeah, and I think it's just the way it all worked out. But I know he really loved his time in Montreal, and he has a lot of, you know, really good memories, and he just has had a crazy hockey journey in his young life already. It's been impressive to watch him and one of the coolest stories for a young player coming sort of a little bit out of nowhere and having amazing success and doing it for all the right reasons. Just work ethic and drive and compete and just all those things.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 5: One of those things with Brendan too is the culture carrier that he is in the in a locker room. And we are talking so much about that here in Vancouver, Jerry about that needing to improve in Vancouver, just talk about how important Brendan is to a locker room and what he does for a team's culture and especially for young players, which is what the Canucks are going to have here.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's funny.
Speaker 10: I've had to, you know, opportunity work some amazing leaders and watching them grow up, like you know, Ryan Getzlap, you know, watching him mature into one of the great leaders. Brent Seabrook, you know, Carry Price. You know, these guys were leaders, but they were all different and how they did it. And I put Brendan Gallagher in that category. I mean, he competes, it's almost competes, not even the right word. How hard he plays and how you know, just what he does on the ice and he leaves it all out there. It's just something I've never really seen before with one of my clients like that, and you know, and it's so authentic, you know, And I just think he's such a valuable player, and it's just a valuable person to have in your room. He's just it's just you can't help but you appreciate and what he does and follow what he does. He'd be good, it'd be good for any team to have that in their room.
Speaker 11: There's no question.
Speaker 5: We mentioned your list of impressive list of clients on the way in here, Jerry, two of which are in the stand the Cup five know the Seth Jarvis and Kamlub's boy Logan stan Covid. I got an idea of who you're rooting for in this stand of the Cup final. But talk about Logan's performance. He's go fourteen points in sixteen games. He's fit so well, seemingly in Carolina since he got traded there. Just talk about how impressive impressed you've been by how he's done this postseason.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Well, first of all, shout out to my my, my best buddy, Scott Bonner, my right hand Matt. Yeah, I mean he's you know, those are truly two of his clients. Obviously we all work together. But yeah, I mean Logan's been Yeah, just we're not you know, It's funny how it works. You're not surprised when he does it because he's always been good, But then you're a little bit surprised when it happens because it's such a big stage. You know, he's performing, you know, at the highest level, and he's but he's just doing what Logan's always done, so it's really interesting. You're sort of surprised, but at the same time you're not, but we're sure happy for him. And you know, it's been great.
Speaker 3: Jerry, you got a client in Vancouver, first round pick Jonathan Kara Makie hasn't gained the traction yet that people want to see him gain traction. Are you worried there with Kara Mackie or he's got that shoulder problem he's going to come back, but talk about his development of Vancouver.
Speaker 10: Oh, I think he's going to be fine. I mean, I think what happens is, you know, especially if you're a high pick and some success early, there's always you know, added expectation and pressure on the player, including from themselves, and you know, and I think that, you know, you look at the process of learning and just understanding what it takes to play and all those things. And I think he's going to be fine. I mean, it's for me, it's normal. I'm not worried at all. You know, it's uh, you know, the line to success is not a straight line. It goes up and down. And I've never had players that didn't have adversity or struggle at different times and so and every player is different. So I think Jonathan's, you know, his journey's on the right track, you know, hopefully. I think he's going to be one hundred and healthy coming to camp. I think Vancouver's got an exciting new group, you know, in charge, and I think there's going to be a good energy. I'm actually really optimistic with Vancouver and Jonathan.
Speaker 3: All right, good stuff. Last one, Jerry, I know you're busy. You got two UFAs. I want to know about Brett Koulak and Carson SUSSI. What's your feeling on both those where they're gonna end up?
Speaker 10: You know what's funny. I mean, obviously both guys are what every team needs, you know, it's just a matter of who needs them. And obviously Brett has been just, you know, just been a workhorse. He's been, you know, incredibly consistent and such a valuable player. And then Carson, I mean, who doesn't need a player like that. So really it's just us finding the right spot and doing the work and checking in with teams and just trying to find the right fit. So it's always hard to.
Speaker 5: Say outstanding stuff today. Jerry really appreciate it and apologies if this guy's bugging you too much, especially this time of year.
Speaker 1: I know how he gets.
Speaker 5: He bugs me enough, so I can only imagine how much she bugs you. But thanks so much for the time today. Jerry really appreciate it.
Speaker 10: Thank you guys.
Speaker 11: Have a good day.
Speaker 1: Thank you too.
Speaker 5: Jerry Johansson, CEO, great guy, Rit guy the Sports Corporation. Very interesting stuff there and Brendan Gallagher including admitting that there was some initial interest from the Canucks. That's the first concrete thing we've we've put two and two together. But hearing that there is that interest from the Canucks very interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there it is right there there. Brendan Gallagher's agent has called the Canucks and there is initial interest from Vancouver's.
Speaker 5: And yeah, very interesting. We'll see how this progresses. As you mentioned, very busy time for NHL front offices at the moment.
Speaker 1: On the other side, we're going to talk with Scott Wheeler.
Speaker 5: We've been talking a bit about the draft combine happened over the weekend, well that past week in Buffalo. Scott Wheeler from the Athletic covering prospects for the Athletic. We'll talk to Scott next it's Donnie Dall the team on check looking for.
Speaker 4: The ultimate Vancouver Island getaway. Head to beautiful Parksville and experience the Bayside ocean Front Resort where every state it feels like a vacation you'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio, Bayside puts you steps from the sand with ocean views in every direction. Splash in the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relax with a handcrafted cocktail at the ocean front restaurant and lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event, Bayside is your perfect year round escape. Book your getaway now at two five zero, two four eight eight couple three.
Speaker 3: Your island adventure starts.
Speaker 5: Here Monday, and as mentioned, all of our guests today are brought to you by our friends at Basant Motors. Hit the road with huge savings going forward courtesy Bissond. Stop by their dealership located at one six three one five Phraser Highway and Fleetwood, or check them out online at BASA and T Motors dot com. Scott Wheeler joining us now He's on with us about a month ago. Rick national reporter for the Athletic covering prospects in the NHL Draft, and he was in Buffalo for the scouting combine that has now concluded.
Speaker 1: Scott, thanks for doing this today.
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 12: Thanks for having me Fellas. I'm doing well. I'm a little road weary after a weekend Kolowna for the mem Cup and then about twelve hours back home with the kids, enough time to give them a kiss and get back on the road to Buffalo. So happy to be home for about four days here before the OAHL Draft in Kingston and then we'll be off and running for the NHL Draft after that.
Speaker 5: Just a ton going on at the moment. So Scott, for people that you obviously aren't overly familiar with the combine and what happens in Buffalo, what are the key things that occur with teams and these prospects, the testing, the interviews, all that, what goes down in Buffalo over this last week and mainly over the past weekend.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's sort of a hotbed of not just meetings between the players, and that is the prospects in this draft and the teams, whether it's through sort of the setups that they have at the rank. Each team gets a suite at the rink. The players rotate through really for four or five days constantly through teams will interview typically forty fifty of the ninety or so players who are invited to the combine each year. But it's also an opportunity for agents to get into town for head starts on conversations about free agency. A lot of meetings between general managers and sort of the top ten or so agents in the sport around the hotel, and then there's obviously the physical testing at the end of the week, which allows you, at least at the extremities to form some takeaways. I don't think there's a ton of emphasis put into the actual testing. You'll typically see almost all of the general managers, scouts, directors of scouting are all gone when the testing actually takes place. They typically leave their strength and conditioning coaches to stick around and watch it happen. But you can see at the extremities, like there were players who performed really well, players who were consistently in the top of several of the events, and then there were players who struggled and players whose feet looked slow and who look clunky out there, and who look on athletic and some of the testing, and despite the fact that these are the ninety best hockey players in their age group, you'd be surprised how many of these kids aren't great athletes, great natural athletes. So that's really the takeaway from the testing. But it's more about the networking. It's about the people. It's about getting to know the players. It's about getting a head start on free agency and trade talks and that side of it.
Speaker 5: So speaking of networking, you, of course talked to a lot of people while you were there. Was there a consensus on a belief of who the Canucks are zeroing in on with a third overall pick.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 12: When we spoke a month ago, I sort of talked about Caleb and how dialed in on Caleb they've been all year. I don't coming out of the combine, I don't think anything has changed there. I do know that both Caleb and Manny have expressed at least a little bit of queasiness about the prospect of being paired together and sort of what that will look like. But everything I've been told is that that queasiness doesn't extend to a hard and fast no, and that if he's the top player on the canucksust board, which I believe he is, or I believe he will be when it's their turn to pick. At least, I think they're going to make him the selection and figure out how to work the messaging, how to manage it within the team that will come after. I do wonder if it's more like if it is Caleb, I do wonder if he's more likely to spend two years in college instead of one. I think one and done was potentially on the table for him. By spending two years, he would he and his dad would be able to say, look, he's ready when it's his turn to come. It wouldn't feel like anything was being given to him. Oftentimes, those college kids when they turn pro are given opportunities more than having earned them. That's part of the negotiation in terms of signing NHL contracts for the true, true top guys coming out of college is that they get those spring games in the NHL. I think it will likely mean, if it's Caleb, that they want him to marinate so that there's no doubt that there's any favoritism happening or that kind of a thing, so an interesting story. One of the most interesting stories frankly, I think in the lead up to the draft here is whether they ultimately stepped to the stage and announced Caleb as the pick and sort of what that looks like coming forward. And Caleb said all the right things this week. He interviewed very well with everybody. He performed quite well in the testing. So a lot to like about Caleb's week and the way that he finished his year in the OHL. And he belongs in the conversation at third overall, but it will be a talking point in the years ahead if he's Vancouver's pick.
Speaker 3: Oh, he's going to be fascinating for sure. Chase Reid, the Canucks took him out to dinner last week in Buffalo Boys. This guy climbed and climbed in the second half of the season. In your eyes, is he the first defenseman off the board?
Speaker 12: I think it's probably a coin flip. My sense is that Carson Carrals and Chase Reid are kind of a coin flip in the consensus. I think either could go as early as two to the San Jose Sharks. I think either could go forward to the Chicago Blackhawks, for example, I think you're going to hear both selected before Keaton Verhoff, who six months ago was the consensus top D prospect in this class. Those are the two guys, very different players. Reed is sort of a smooth skating still has room to fill out late Bloomer still has room to fill out his body, smooth skating, offensive minded defenseman. Carls is a bit more of that sort of throwback, physical mean competitor, still has tons of offense, but has more of that sort of pro quality to him at an earlier age. Both are going to college, Carroll's to North Dakota and Chase Reid to Michigan State. Both will probably spend two years there, I would imagine. But there's a lot of excitement about those two kids.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. You know, I heard a lot of good things about Ryan Lynn Vancouver giant, Richmond native and Lower Mainland boy. This kid stock. I think Scott might have went up a little. He had a really good week in Buffalo.
Speaker 12: Yeah, he performed extremely well in the combine testing. He wasn't one of the three or four sort of standouts of the combine testing. But if you extended that list, say who are the top ten kids that stood out in combine testing and the results of the ninety kids. He's probably in that group, were very close to that group, showed up at the top of a bunch of the exercises. He's a phenomenal kid, So not at all surprised that he did well in the interview process, which is some of the feedback that I got from some teams. Just a great kid, one of my favorites. I've been very high on him. He's kind of a kid in the top group of this class that I've kind of stuck my neck out on. In this class, I'm a real, real big believer. I think he belongs in that top group of defensemen. He's not going to get picked in that top group of defencemen. I don't expect that he'll be a top ten pick in this draft, but from the early teens to the late teens is kind of his range. Like he's not making it to Vancouver at twenty four, for example, So really really excited to see what he does. Him and Jaxon Rudolph are obviously both going off, and Ben macbeth and Blake Fiddler. They've got a really good freshman class of defensemen going off to Denver to play under David Carl really excited to see what that freshman d group does next year.
Speaker 5: So you just talked about Ryan Lynn, We got to ask you about the other Vancouver Giant, Mathews. Preston Scott sounds like rave reviews out of Buffalo. You had him you earlier this month you put out your top one hundred on the Athletic you had him twenty third, I think on that list.
Speaker 1: What did you hear?
Speaker 5: What did you see of mathist Preston in Buffalo at the combine?
Speaker 12: Yeah, just put out a feature I've been working on since you eighteens on Preston a couple of days ago, and in speaking to people around the Vancouver Giants, around Hockey Canada, even some people from previously when he was in Spokane, it had been kind of an up and down couple of years. It didn't go well and and well in Spokane. He's obviously traded to Vancouver. Vancouver went out and made him a priority. Then he comes into the Giants, he immediately gets hurt. He misses about two months of the back of the season due to the injury. And then he comes back and he plays really well down the stretch and impresses, as he always has with Hockey Canada in a top six sort of power play role. At U eighteen Worlds. Obviously, Hockey Canada loses in the quarterfinals and ends on a disappointment, but one of the positives of the tournament was Preston and his play. And then you speak to scouts about him now and you hear mixed reviews. He's one of the most talented players in the draft. I have a player survey that will be coming out at the Athletic where I surveyed sixty plus kids in this class and asked them a series of questions, and one of the questions was who's the most purely skilled player in the class? Not necessarily the best player, but from a pure skill standpoint, who pops? And the two most common names were Gavin McKenna and Matthis Preston, which speaks to the way that his peers view him from a skill, skating, playmaking sort of view. But he's viewed by NHL scouts it's kind of a bubble first round guy still, and that's because he didn't produce in line with how you'd hope a five to eleven winger would produce, and it's because those types of players tip fall, the smaller wingers typically fall. So I still think he sneaks into day one. I still think he's a first round pick. I could actually see the Vancouver Canucks at twenty four being among the teams that would strongly consider him. The Canucks do need to add an infusion of skill into their pool in this class. I think that's priority number one, and he would check that box with that late first round pick. So I'll be interested to see where he lands. I think he's probably a twenties or thirties guy, but the thirties obviously extends into day two, so there's a chance he's one of the early picks on day two.
Speaker 5: Yep, awesome stuff again, Scott really appreciated. Again you outline how busy you are, so we appreciate it. I'm sure we'll chat again down the road.
Speaker 12: No sweat fellas anytime.
Speaker 1: Scott Wheeler from the athletic joining us.
Speaker 5: Great insight out of the combine in Buffalo, Rick and it's just it's going to be here in a blink. That NHL draft were three weeks away, and it's going to be here in a hurry, and a lot of interesting news out of the combine over the weekend. Okay, let's talk about our title. Spawns are able auctions. Now, this is a this is a very interesting auction they got going here. Rick, a major BC based television series, is relocating future production to California, and they have instructed able to sell tens of thousands of set, deck, prop and wardrobe items to the highest bindners.
Speaker 1: Look at that.
Speaker 5: Everything from amazing designer furniture to weird and unique props must be previewed to be appreciated. Wow, some chairs there, you got the bears at the bears the bottom of the props there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go back to the sofa, Quinn, can you go back to the Like.
Speaker 1: That's Derek, Derek's power here. And that couch is a big couch.
Speaker 3: That's up, but that's way too big. Like, what's going on there?
Speaker 1: What's for a movie set?
Speaker 3: Well, who's sitting on a King Kong?
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, look at that's not something you see in the house, is it. Maybe it's you.
Speaker 5: Cut it in half, make it into two love seats. If you want wow happening, take a look for yourself this Saturday, ten am to four pm at the Massive Langley TV Studio. For information on this unique auction, go to abele Auctions dot Ca. That's eight Blauctions dot Ca. Big Rye on the other side, featuring Quinn Taylor, It's Donnie Dolly the team.
Speaker 3: I check looking for one of Victoria's most iconic stays. The award winning Waddling Dog has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years. Ten minutes from the airport in the Ferry. Their room glend vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog. Pop twenty taps, Waldwall TVs every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour and before you go stuck up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and imported options, plus exclusive Donnie and Dolly merchandise. The Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination. Come, sit and stay.
Speaker 1: Time.
Speaker 5: Now for Big Ry, We're gonna do something a little different because we haven't outlined our.
Speaker 1: Wadling Dog pole question yet. Because we've been so busy.
Speaker 5: This hour experience one of Victoria's iconic destinations. Catch the World Cup at the Dog with Canada games shown live and loud on all twenty two TVs with full sound. Come sit and stay at the Dog today.
Speaker 3: Rick Quinn get her up the waddling dog. Pop pole question. How much stock do you put into the NHL draft combine performances? A lot, A little, could care less? Look at this, A little is leading a fifty two percent, then could care less forty four.
Speaker 1: I'm on the could care less train.
Speaker 3: The combine helps collect data, yeah, for these guys. Psychological stuff, yeah, off the ice stuff, you know, testing, which we saw Saturday and you know they're doing push ups and all that stuff. It's just compiled. It's all the data stuff. But it's the traveling. The Canucks traveled to go see Caleb Maholt in Ontario, four of them during a game, you know, during the season. Not during the game, but during the season. They had multiple views of Mahultra. That's where you're you know, you're compiling your list. These kids are going up and down the list. It's because of you know, seeing the visibility of these games. You know, they went to see Verhofft, they went to see all the top kids, everybody in the first round. That's important, But I mean the combine is there for you to collect data. It all helps. And also keep in mind even the kids that Canucks don't draft that they interviewed, two, three, four years down the road, they might be acquiring these kids and they'll have a good database of information on the kids. Like there might be a kid the Canucks don't draft four years later they got a chance to him in the trade. They'll be able to go back in their notes and say, hey, this kid did really well at the combine in Buffalo. Just you know, it's it's they're in Buffalo to collect data.
Speaker 6: Look at like, uh, you know Florida with the twenty fourteen draft they have they got k Lad, Bennett, and Reinhart.
Speaker 3: That's it. They probably interviewed all three of them. They interviewed all of them. So it's information interview.
Speaker 1: The interview portion.
Speaker 5: I can understand getting some information from But the physical stuff I don't care about the vertical leap, Like I don't care about pull up count and all that stuff. Sam Bennett, you just mentioned him infamously no pull ups at the combine.
Speaker 3: Well, but that was a one off. But I'm just also don't want a kid to show up to the combine out of shape. Sure, you know you don't want a kid, you know, eating hot dogs at the Sure, sure so they you know they.
Speaker 1: I just don't know.
Speaker 5: I'd rather see him in a game situation how he's processing a game than how he does riding a bike, you know, solo with nobody around him.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know, but you're right.
Speaker 5: It's one page of data, is ultimately what it is in a year long process looking at more than a year, but specifically this season leading to this.
Speaker 1: Draft, it's one page of data.
Speaker 6: If you're splitting hairs between Stenberg and Mahulture, McKenna, whatever, and one of them outside the other one like astronomical in the testing and stuff, then maybe probably leans to Stenburg.
Speaker 3: But what what can't change there is one's a winger and ones of center. Yeah, but the Caducks are are awful at Center in terms of organizational depth. Everybody that complains about Caleb Mahultra and this city need to understand that he's he's going to be the top centerman and the Canucks are organizing organizationally week at Center. I mean that people need to accept that fact.
Speaker 1: Big Rye featuring Quinn Taylor.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, So in case you didn't hear, Travis Kelsey and Taylor Swift, they're engaged. I don't know if you know that or not. But not only are they're engaged, they're going to plan their wedding. And it was supported by TMZ on the weekend that they're gonna get married inside of Madison Square Garden and they're gonna one thousand guests to the wedding. They're not gonna sell it off. They're gonna have it closed event, private event. But yeah, I got leaked and they're gonna have their wedding Madison Square Gardens.
Speaker 1: So so if you're gonna but this is what I don't get. If you're having a thousand.
Speaker 5: People y MSG, I know, right, like go to a theater then or something like MSG. I was assuming if they're having it an MSG, they're having like ten thousand people or something, and that's what they wanted. A thousand people. It's a big wedding, of course, a thousand people with a lot of humans, but MS like a thousand people inside MSG is gonna seem like a drop in the bucket.
Speaker 1: But this is like a. It's like, Quinn, it's like a royal wedding.
Speaker 5: This the amount of like scoops and people sleuthing to.
Speaker 1: Find out information, it's crazy.
Speaker 5: Like if they wanted to live stream this, like pay per view this thing, they could make a boatload of cash if they.
Speaker 6: If they sold the tickets for the yeah, for this at MSG, do you think that would be go off for more than tonight's next game in the finals.
Speaker 1: Or more than the Eras tour that she was part of.
Speaker 6: Like probably would maybe they would sell out, Like the Swift fans are crazy like that.
Speaker 3: I could care less about these two. They could get married on the moon. I don't care, Like I mean, Quinn, I love the fact you showed this, But to me, I would care.
Speaker 1: They're a power couple. I think they're there, whose eyes every They're the most.
Speaker 5: Popular couple on the planet easily, I think, who what other two people are more more popular than them?
Speaker 3: King Charles and his wife?
Speaker 1: Maybe? But this is this is royal level. I mean, this is crazy. You were at a wedding yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was not It was square that much. I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 1: More on Taylor during DTMZ.
Speaker 6: But I don't even know too, Like, isn't this like this? They got enough attention? Like I feel like this is about attention, like Madison Square Garden.
Speaker 3: I get. Oh, it's about I got. We got tons of millions and millions and millions of dollars. There must be a week You think renting out Madison Square Gardens is cheap?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I understand that.
Speaker 6: But I'm saying, is that as cool as doing it somewhere else like Madison Square Garden.
Speaker 3: For a wedding? Is that really that cool?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 1: But I agree, like you could, but you could.
Speaker 5: You could go somewhere for a thousand people better than a hockey arena, in a basketball.
Speaker 3: Arena, ballrooms that could handle a lot exact thousand people exactly. But this is just whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you got something else quick locally, You got something local?
Speaker 3: H this from our friend farhand. Uh yeah.
Speaker 6: So for he says that for those wondering, the roof at BC Place will be closed for all match days for consistency and broadcast purposes. It's going to be open during the good weather days, but between matches it's going to close to help out with the grass and the gameplay overall.
Speaker 5: So there's currently right now, a tour happening for media members at BC Place right to see what the venue looks like. Of course we're days away first match. There's a Saturday, I believe if I have that right, First Canada matches Friday in Toronto. This is very disappointing to me. Now, I will say though, it's a very inter resting photo. Farhand chose to use because look at the shadows and we see this rick during white Caps and Lives games on TV. The shadows suck, they do. I'm not gonna disagree. And in terms of humans, you get baked if you're in one.
Speaker 6: You talk about TV, they're actually in the stage. It's hard in the spot with the sun. It's hard.
Speaker 3: It's hard forty minutes if you just in the sun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it's also gonna be a steamy, sticky mess if it's closed. And like the current temperatures are gonna be what they're gonna be next weekend, thirty degree plus days, it's gonna be gross inside there too. So I'm a bit torn. Look, I don't FIFA cares more about the TV audience than they do the people in the building. They do, And so if whatever looks best on TV is probably having it closed. It sucks because we paid a lot of money to put this doughnut on this thing. It should be open if the weather's good enough. But FIFA cares more about the TV audience than what's in the building.
Speaker 6: I guess I don't really care, like because I've been to Lions teams before where I'm just sitting in the sun and it's all yeah watching it.
Speaker 1: The shadows are are, the shadows are hard.
Speaker 3: I don't see a reason why.
Speaker 6: I mean, obviously a couple of reasons, but I think it's overwhelmingly the side of having it closed is way better than having it open.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, but what time are the game? Seven at night? Oh?
Speaker 1: Well noon?
Speaker 3: Noon?
Speaker 1: Right noon?
Speaker 5: I I don't have all the one of them's at nine, I don't have all the times in front of me, but they very throughout the day, the ones in the afternoon.
Speaker 3: You're gonna get this situation. The line is four o'clock games. Yeah you get hot, yeah in the in those when it's over. Yeah yeah. Yeah. So, like I said, I see it on both.
Speaker 5: I gotta say that the grass does look amazing, like they've done an amazing job. If they could ever find a way to permanently have grass in there, both for TV purposes and for player purposes, they would all obviously love grass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just looks outstanding.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 6: I don't get why the stadiums like like BAC Place, I get why they want won't keep it because you know it's MLS, CFL whatever. But like MetLife Stadium, like the Giants and Jets, they play on like the worst turfic. I know they're getting this amazing grass put in and they're getting rid of it next month.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 1: I don't get it, but that's gonna change. I think Quinn.
Speaker 5: I think that's gonna big be a big thing with the NFLPA. It's putting grass in all those stadiums, including MetLife. On the other side, we're gonna head to Vegas. Talk to our good pal from Hockey Night in Canada. He's busy, of course, he's got stand the Cup final and everything else happening around the National Hockey League. Didn't larkin him more. We'll talk with Friedman next. It's Donny the team on check.
Speaker 4: Hey everyone, it's Donnie and Dully and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 3: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast and on social media.
Speaker 4: We'd love to get involved with your company called two five to oh eight eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at checkmedia dot Ca.
Speaker 1: Monday.
Speaker 5: All of our guests today as mentioned brought to you by Basant Motors. Bright deals, better drives are ahead of Bassan hit the road with huge savings going forward. Stop by the dealership located one six three one five Fraser Highway in Fleetwood, or check them out online. Bas An t Motors dot com. Joined now by our good pal, one of the busiest humans going at the moment, Hockey It in Canada, insider Elliott Friedman.
Speaker 1: Elliott, how are you, sir?
Speaker 11: I'm good. How are you guys?
Speaker 1: Doing very good?
Speaker 3: Very good?
Speaker 5: Extra day off in Vegas for you between games three and four?
Speaker 1: Are you using it well?
Speaker 13: You know what, I'm I'm an old creaky man, so I'm actually doing pretty well.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 11: I'll say this.
Speaker 13: I've been on the road for three rounds. It's been the longest time I've been on the road a long time. So you do have to learn to pace yourself. But I'll say this, the restaurants here I think are better than ever.
Speaker 11: Really, that's one thing I will say.
Speaker 5: Yes, pace yourself, see learn something from Elliott. Pace yourself. Okay, Elliott game three. You've just said it. You've been in hockey rinks for so many games. Where does the craziness of Game three ranked for you? In terms of all the things that happened, Marner's patrick, the disallowed goals, everything that went on in Game three between the Hurricanes and the Golden Knights.
Speaker 11: It was up there.
Speaker 13: Like, as I've used this line, I said to Amber, when we're ninety five years old and we're fighting over shuffle board in the old Bolts Hall, we're going to remember this night and say that we were glad we were there. It was It was a great hockey game.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 13: I hate when games end on bad goals like that. But honestly, Ryan and Rick, like those guys had nothing left in that second overtime. Nobody could complete a pass, nobody could make a play. And I don't blame them. I just think they'd spent all of their energy, Like every player in that game, gave it everything they had, and they lost, and Carolina lost, and and Vegas won. But it was it was a great hockey game. I mean, you could argue that Marner had the best playoff performance in Stanley Cup history. He had first four period point period and over one hundred years fastest had trick. Ever, I still can't believe he didn't notice the goalie change, and because normally he's right on top of things by everybody. In that game, I was a great, great hockey game. Had three goals in thirty nine seconds. It just like the building was so shocked. I don't even know if I've ever heard home building that shocked before is when they scored those three goals Carolina did midway through the third period.
Speaker 5: A lot of runways still left obviously in this in the series, Elliott, But is it a foregone conclusion that if Vegas won it, Mitch Marner would be the consmythe trophy winner for Vegas.
Speaker 13: You know, I don't have a vote, Ryan, so you know I can't influence that myself, but I have to think so you know, I'll be honest. The only other guy that I would even consider on the same level as mar or Shay Theodore, and I don't think that he's getting enough credit for what he's done. And the other night when McNabb got hurt, he was going in Game two, he was going back and forth from right side to left side, depending.
Speaker 11: On who he was playing with.
Speaker 13: And you know, I just talked about how I thought how incredible I thought that was. And you know, Ryan, sometimes when guys who didn't play hockey in the NHL talk about hockey, you worried there that you're what.
Speaker 11: You're saying is stupid.
Speaker 13: And a former NHL defenseman called me and said, that might be the smartest thing you've ever said on your podcast. Like I know guys who would refuse, refuse to do it, like they just wouldn't go to the other side, never mind going back and forth like that. And Theodore doesn't have the most points. You know, Marner does, and Iigel, I think has twenty points or eighteen points. But I think what what Theodore is doing defensively, I think he's the only other guy I would put in the same zone as Marner or Vegas wins.
Speaker 3: All their gov of Native Elliott right here in the Lower Mainland, they're very proud of.
Speaker 11: Well, nobody's perfect.
Speaker 3: I know, as coaches in minor hockey, great kid h Elliott, you're you're you just know everything about every team. What's going on with Vancouver? What are you hearing? Uh? There's just uh uh, the draft's coming up, free agencies coming up. What are you hearing out of Vancouver?
Speaker 11: You know, honestly, not a ton. It's it's it's quiet there right now.
Speaker 13: I mean, you guys have made your front office big changes, You've got mid some ads, You've done your coaching. Now we've got to see what the assistant coaches are going to look like. I mean, I think the one big personnel thing is is going to be just Petterson.
Speaker 11: Where does that go?
Speaker 13: And I think you've got time to sort that out, Like they're really now that most of the cod now the biggest coaching job and the biggest front office job is done. I think it's pretty quiet. You guys kind of just have to wait and see what happens in front of you at the draft. And I think some of the most interesting things is what's going to happen around you. I think San Jose is going to have some decisions to make, like I think Toronto's taking the pick. You know, there's a lot of time between now and the draft. We still have three weeks. I've got, you know, McKenna penciled in as as the guy, but I'm not saying it's one hundred percent by any stretch of the imagination. Then I think San Jose is gonna have a decision to make in front of you. Do they want to move down? What do they want to do? I think they're going to be presented with options. Then it comes to you, and I think Chicago right behind you is also going to be like they're they're honest about the fact that they would move that pick. So I think at that point in time, you guys probably have to wait and just see what happens around you, and that will determine as much as you know your biggest move, which is making your third overall pick.
Speaker 3: You had a great tidbit on the weekend, Joe Pavelski up for the head coaching job in Toronto. Where's the leaf search right now?
Speaker 13: Elliott Well, Peter Laviolett I think is going to lay. I've heard it this morning, and I don't have any confirmation at this point in time, but it seems to be pointing in that direction.
Speaker 11: I think Laviolette was very seriously considered in both Toronto and Edmonton too.
Speaker 13: I think he had legit shot at all three of these jobs, and I think la has made the choice. You know, I'd forgotten me as a history with Panarin, so that makes a lot of sense. But just waiting for official confirmation on that. And now so I think Toronto. I still think Toronto. We don't know all the names yet. I think they're going to cut it down to three to five people, and I think they're going to start bringing in people for interviews and I'm under the impression that Pavelski's going to be one of those people.
Speaker 11: Now. I think it's interesting, guys. I know Toronto told.
Speaker 13: A couple of candidates that they were looking at something as somebody more experienced. I think that was Laviolette, And now that he's out of the picture, I'm curious to see where they refocus.
Speaker 11: I'm not one hundred percent sure right now.
Speaker 3: You also broke the big story Dylan Larkin's trade requests. What's going on there, Elliott? How do you see that shaken out?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 13: You know what, there was a report today about three teams. It was what Vegas, Florida and Minnesota. Yep, I heard Minnesota. I heard Florida hadn't heard Vegas, but that makes a lot of sense. Probably didn't hear them because they're still playing. But you know, I think this is going to be I think the Red Wings are upset, but I think they have to be practical, you know.
Speaker 11: I mean, it's it's just time, I think, is what it is.
Speaker 13: I believe at the end of the day, whether it's one of those three teams or somebody else, it's going to be somewhere where he thinks he can win.
Speaker 11: You know. I just think that.
Speaker 13: Larkin he wants a better situation than the Red Wings, a team that's closer to winning. And whether it's one of those three teams or somebody else like a Tampa or a Dallas, I think that's where it's going to happen. I think the biggest question is how high a package Detroit wants. Do they want a package that can help them now? I think that's really hard to do, Rick, because a team that's training for lark And isn't going to want to hurt their chances to win by subtracting, and he won't want that either, And so the thing is, does Detroit get something in return that helps them now? Or do they use those pieces to get something that helps them now because Detroit's been now is the longest playoff drought in the league, and I think they want this to end. But I think this is going to be a really active summer, Rick, people like you and me were going to be busy, because I have a feeling this isn't going to be the last one we hear about Ellian.
Speaker 5: Just back to Joe Pavelski for a second. I'm curious the Martinez think Louis success in Montreal, no coaching experience, he goes in there. Pavelski would be in the same boat, obviously, fantastic players, both of them. How much has the success of Saintan Louis maybe open the eyes of teams about going down a different path and not necessarily needing a guy that's had all this head coaching experience previously.
Speaker 13: I think that I think it's definitely opened people's eyes. Ryan, Yes, and you know, Ryan, I think that the other thing too that's happened is that if you look at the two teams competing for the Stanley Cup right now Caroline Vegas, they don't do their business the way a lot of other teams do. You know, Carolina is a very different team in terms of who the GM is, how much of a force the coaches and the organization. I don't think there's a more powerful coach in his organization in the NHL. So I think Carolina does things really differently in Vegas, like they don't draft anybody, or if they do, they trade them. And so I think a lot of teams are looking at the success and saying, Okay, is there a different way that.
Speaker 11: We can do things?
Speaker 13: You know, I think you just have to make sure you have the right guy, like Marty san Luis confident guy, Joe Pavelski confident guy.
Speaker 11: I think a lot I think confidence is.
Speaker 13: So key because you know, to say that all we can get rid of all these people, we don't need experience.
Speaker 11: Look at Tortorella, like, you know, a lot of people thought he.
Speaker 13: Would never coach again, and he's got them within two wins of a Stanley Cup victory, and he's exactly what they needed. So I don't think there's ever anything wrong. Ryan was looking at something different and doing something different. I think it almost always comes down to force of personality. Is it the right person to be different?
Speaker 5: With Elliott, we can't thank you enough for making some time today. We know you're so busy. Continue to pace yourself. We'll see you tomorrow night, back on Hockey Night.
Speaker 11: All right, guys, take good care having thanks.
Speaker 5: Thanks Elliott, Elliott Freeman from the thirty two Thoughts podcast and Hockey Nay in Canada joining us. And it's crazy, Rick, the amount of news and Betman's gonna hate this, the news percolating out of the Stanley Cup final with Lark in, some of these coaching positions all that, but you know, the offseason has to move on for these other teams sleeping out for a while. Right, you got stuff to do exactly, exactly, got stuff to do exactly. On the other side, we'll get back into the poll question. We need to mention a local kid, Rick officially retiring from the National Hockey League.
Speaker 1: That's next. It's don you know the team on.
Speaker 7: Check Donnie and Dollie. The team is supported by able Auctions dot CA. Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 3: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories, or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 4: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able Auctions dot ca. That's sales at a b L E Auctions dot Ca.
Speaker 5: As mentioned, we're gonna chat about the watering dog pole question again. Experienced one of Victoria's iconic destinations. Catch the World Cup at the Dog with Canada games shown live and loud on all twenty two screens with full sound. Come sit and stay at the dog today, Rick.
Speaker 3: Quinn, get her up the wattling dog pop pole question. How much stock do you put into the NHL Draft combine performances leading the way? Fifty four percent is a little, forty two percent could care less, and a lot is five percent, so right at the bottom there. But it's a great week for NHL team scouts gms to get additional information on all these prospects and just drive their database with more information. And they cannot say after the combine in Buffalo that they don't have a book on all these kids, because they do.
Speaker 5: And if you missed it in our opening hour, Scott Wheeler joined us from the athletic He gave a rundown everything that happened at the combine and in our second segment Rick. In the first hour, we had CEO and President of the Sports Corporation, Jerry Johansson on with us. He represents NHL agent as well, represents Brendan Gallagher and he told us Rick that initial interest from the Vancouver Canucks in Brendan Gallagher.
Speaker 3: So Jerry had breakfast with Brendan in Montreal. Probably no weag beef, no Wago beef.
Speaker 1: Probably not.
Speaker 3: Anyways, breakfast with Brendan on the weekend in Montreal. They've come up with a list of teams that they're willing to go to. Vancouver's one of them. Jerry called the Canucks, and there is interest from Vancouver initially it's on their desks. They do have interest in Brendan Gallagher. We'll see where it goes. It's a tough contract. One year a six point five million dollars could be troublesome for some teams. How to do it? Do you give up a traffick? Don't forget They could also buy them out at the end. They could also pick up half the salary. There's other options, a ton of ways to get this deal done if the Knucks want to do.
Speaker 1: It, yep.
Speaker 3: But they have interest. Yeah, they have interested.
Speaker 5: And that was the key key point today is there is interest from the Canucks side.
Speaker 1: It's like I said a culture guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's uh, he's going to fix that dressing room because he's accountable with his effort, practice and games. He's a good pro on and off the ice. He's got great practice habits. He's a great team player.
Speaker 1: Yep. Absolutely so.
Speaker 5: We mentioned Brendan Gallagher of course from these parts former Vancouver Giant, Another former Vancouver Giant Rick, oh Boy Milan lu Chic.
Speaker 1: Yesterday he turned thirty.
Speaker 5: Eight years old and he announced his retirement from hockey. Eleven and seventy seven regular season games for Boston, La, Edmonton and Calgary. He was of course playing with the Fife Flyers in the EIHL in Scotland this past year, twenty six games only with the five Flyers, Rick twelve points, five goals, seven assists and twenty five Stanley Cup playoff games. Back in twenty eleven when he won the Stanley Cup with the Bruins here in Vancouver.
Speaker 1: And how weird.
Speaker 5: That must have been kid from here hoisting the cup in a Bruins uniform on Vancouver ice. Just a weird situation, But congrats to Milan. Great career. He signed a PTO at the beginning of this past season with Saint Louis, which didn't pand out and he ended up going over to Scotland. But man like a menacing player with a ton of skill as well size speed.
Speaker 3: There's a size skill. Okay, I wanna let me get all you kids out there. Milan didn't go in the Battam draft. He wasn't he wasn't ready. He was playing junior B hockey. Scott Bonner went out to see another kid and in that game, Milan got in two fights. The next day the Vancouver Giants listed him. If Scott Bonner is not at that game, does this happen?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Like he was playing Junior B, he never got drafted in the dub. Scott Bonnery goes out to see him one night, He beat the heck out of two guys and they listed him the next day. The rest is history, you know. But to all you kids, if you're not if you don't go in the Banham draft. It's not the end of the world. Keep plugging away, Milan, did you know? And then he became a one of the top enforcers in the NHL. He had some good years where I would he score over thirty goals yep, yeah, you know, and there he is one of the Cup in Vancouver. Just a great long career for a guy that wasn't there at the age of fourteen. And you know, at the end of the day, what a great career for a Vancouver native. I was at the Memorial Cup back east in Moncton when they didn't they didn't win that, right, but I was able to go watch that, and then at the Memorial Cup in Vancouver at the Pacific Coliseum he had the shift yep, right, remember the fight, the gold everything else like that is.
Speaker 5: Just just such a Bruin too, rick Like, just fit the Boston Bruins so perfectly. You mentioned it as high watermark as thirty goals in that twenty twenty eleven season where he had thirty for the Bruins, and then he goes to the Kings, the Oilers and the Flames, as I mentioned. So Milan Luchi's retiring yesterday at the age of thirty eight. Hard to believe he's thirty eight, but announcing his retirement. So congratulations to Milan on a heck of a career. Just quickly, Rick, before we get to pastime, I want to mention again, it's a massive week World Cup starting for Canada on Friday noon in Toronto. They're still dealing with these injury issues, including to defender we Bombido and they Jesse Marsh is going to wait until the last minute to announce his replacement for the World Cup squad. It's the list of injuries. This is just this courtesy TSN. Of course, Barcelo Flores blew out his ACL he's not part of the tournament. But Davies is injured. Schaffelberg's got a hamstring injury, Ali Ahmed has got a hamstring injury. Alfie joins as an ankle injury. So they are just it's a bad time for them to have these injuries. And you know, Davies has ruled himself out for Game one. He's going to get into the tournament at some point, but just really a shame that they're dealing with all these injuries that they are heading into the tournament. They drew Ireland one to one Friday night and their final friendly tune up that was in Montreal. Max Crai Poe was outstanding in that match, the former White Cap. Of course, he's going to be their leading goalkeeper at the tournament. Canada has until June the eleventh, at noon our time, twenty four hours prior to their opening World Cup match to draw replacement from their provisional roster if Bombido does not meet Marcia's standards. So we'll have to see where that goes. But again it's hard to believe the World Cup is here, but it is indeed here. Noon on Friday will be match number one. Will be joined by Doley throughout the tournament. He's going to be our regular. Paul Dolan is to talk about Canada, what's happening at the World Cup, even beyond Canada, but mainly of course with Canada and this home World Cup. Ricky, You've got.
Speaker 3: Pastime absolutely look at this BC's number one sports memorabilly and gaming shop Pastime Sports check out the largest selection of sports member billy, autographed items and trading cards collectible games in Western Canada. Look at this also twenty twenty six World Cup a pail cards now available. If you have keV visit them in score you can shop their massive collection featuring cards from many era online pastime sports dots.
Speaker 5: Very quickly in front of the laptop. We've got the Ronaldo Legends card. This week we've got a Steve Eisman card. We're talking a lot about Dylan Larkin, how he's gonna deal with that situation. And in the middle nineteen eighty four eighty five Opeach cards they've got bubble gum in them. You're not eating it.
Speaker 1: This top Rick not a Rickey.
Speaker 5: Cards this year included Camney, the Steve Eiseman, Doug Gilmour, a Tom Brasso and Pat Lofantain. So just an amazing year and we should mention very quickly. Elliott got off our interview Rick and dropped news Peter Laviolette has.
Speaker 1: Been confirmed the next head coach of the Los Angeles Kings. So there you go.
Speaker 5: Edmond in Edmonton and Toronto, Freeman's pointing out both interested in Peter Laviolette, but he has agreed to be the next head coach of the Kings. So if I have it correct, I think the least of the only opening now in the National Hockey League for had Edmonton.
Speaker 1: Oh, Edmonton of course yeh as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the orders, So the two Canadian teams still have to name their coaches.
Speaker 1: We'll see where. We'll see if Bruce Cassidy ever is allowed to talk to those Edmonton Noilers.
Speaker 5: On the other side, Quinn talked about Taylor Swift during Big Rye and I'm going to talk about her next string DTMZ, so get prepared for that.
Speaker 1: It's Donnie Dally the team. I check.
Speaker 3: It's eleven thirty on a Monday morning, Donnie Dalli on check TV. Now time for DTMZ, brought to you by the world famous wisher a golf club. Go see big al out there, a great track, great track.
Speaker 5: As Rick mentioned, DTMZ brought to you by our friends at the Arnold Palmer Design was their golf club, inviting golfers to stay up to date with Phase two of their golf course innovation on their Instagram at with their golf and a reminder the golf shop and driving range.
Speaker 1: Are open all summer long.
Speaker 5: If you head up to Whistler want to hit some balls, Whistler Golf has got you covered at the driving range. Okay, as mentioned Rick, this is unbelievable to me.
Speaker 1: Taylor Swift Okay.
Speaker 5: According to listings on The Realist. Okay, it's an auction website The Realist, the court side seat Taylor Swift satin during Game three of the Eastern Conference Finals between the Knicks and the Calves has been listed up for auction. Here's this part of the listing. As one of the most recognized and influential artists of her generation, the occupant of this chair has earned worldwide acclaim through a career defined by commercial success, critical recognition, and multiple Grammy Award victories. So, if you want to buy a chair that Taylor satin it got originally listed for auction on Friday Rick. It received multiple bids. It began at one hundred dollars for the chair okay. Bidding is now currently you see it there up to twenty two hundred dollars twenty two hundred bucks for the chair.
Speaker 1: For the chair okay.
Speaker 5: Bidding closes on June the fourteenth at eight pm local time.
Speaker 1: I don't know what local time is, but you got a few more days still to get in on this auction.
Speaker 5: If you'd like a chair that Taylor Swift sat like, so you buy this thing you put in your man cave. You're gonna tell you like people are gonna go, oh, that's cool. You got a courtside seat from the cash or whatever. You're gonna say, Yeah, Taylor Swift sat in this like that.
Speaker 1: That's where we're hat.
Speaker 3: Really, what is it? What you two? Quinn had it? I know, I know, and now you got it.
Speaker 5: I know, I know.
Speaker 3: Is this the tailor it brought shole, brought to you by Taylor Swift.
Speaker 5: She's everywhere. Yeah, it's just a coincidence. But like, this is a this is creepy. If you buy the seat, it is very creepy.
Speaker 1: I agree. Interested in buying, I agree, I agree.
Speaker 3: But it's not at twenty thirty forty fifty sixty seven, you know, a stupid number.
Speaker 6: It will be, it could be, it will be you couldn't get that five figures potentially could get up.
Speaker 5: Sorry probably, But yeah, I agree with Quinn. It's your only label to creep if you buy this thing, because if you have interests in this thing, I just stop right there. But yeah, no, I I I'm with you, and I know there's quirky memory Biley out there that people get whatever. This is kind of weak. She sat in it for one game, so what I don't know. Anyway, no more Taylor Swift talk will end it there. But I just I couldn't believe it when I saw, like, really, we're selling her seats now she sits in Like come on?
Speaker 3: Is there any stories on Pharaoh fauces? No, not today, not that I've seen, Like, I mean both yet, what is with your fascination with her? She's a very big star.
Speaker 1: Birthdays. It's not her birthday today. I don't think God is not her birthday today.
Speaker 3: I would lose it if it was her birthday today. It's not Quinn, get her up? What have we got? Who's the sponsor? I don't know?
Speaker 1: Not that this.
Speaker 3: Donnie and Dolly's BACKSS and Dental Floss Emporium in baal Zach, Alberta.
Speaker 1: This courtesy graphic courtesy t O in Burnaby. Good, great guy, t O in Burnaby.
Speaker 3: Hey, this guy was the second round pick of the Islanders in nineteen ninety three. He competed in the nineteen ninety five Memorial Cup. Was named back to back Western Hockey League. Al Star would play over eleven hundred games in the NHL. Not bad for a second round pick. He played for Canada the World Juniors in nineteen ninety four ninety five. In ninety five named the tournament's best defenseman. Also represented Canada at the two thousand and six Winter Olympics in Turin twenty three points in his rookie season before he was traded to the Vancouver Caducks midway through the third year of his Uh.
Speaker 1: Is it scatchered?
Speaker 3: No, it's a sketcher to forward and Scotcher played in Portland. This guy didn't play in Portland. He played a half a year and a half with the Canucks and then traded to Chicago. Got in a contract dispute with Brian Burke, and Brian said, hey, if you're going to go to England, there was a rum where he was going to go to England. He said, you better dress, you better take your long johns. Anyways, I was. I remember interviewing.
Speaker 1: Him before A good summary of this show is.
Speaker 3: A good story. What are you talking about? In two thousand and one, he had a fourth place finish in the Norris Trophy voting. Currently the Florida Panthers director of player personnel, Come.
Speaker 1: On, Brian McCabe.
Speaker 3: Brian McCabe yeah, Brian McCabe. Yeah he was good. Yeah, Brian mcabe was good.
Speaker 5: Was Brian McCabe the trade to Vancouver or from Vancouver, you know, to Vancouver.
Speaker 1: That wasn't the Bertucci trade.
Speaker 3: And that's a true story about Brian Burke in the contractor just because I had to call Brian on his cell and say hey, Brian said.
Speaker 1: It might be true.
Speaker 3: I don't know what the story, John's take your long, Johns. Brian said, I if I remember that story correctly, all right, this guy was the first of.
Speaker 1: The Linden trade. The Linden trade was Brian McCabe.
Speaker 5: That's right, Yeah, BERTUSI McCabe and a third round pick.
Speaker 3: Well, you want to kick it off.
Speaker 1: M's a significant trade.
Speaker 3: I got four other birthdays. He was a first round pick of the Islanders in twenty fifteen out of the Quebec Major Junior League. Played for Canada at the World Juniors twenty sixteen. He was the youngest player on the Islanders roster, thirteen days younger than Matt Barzel would play on the line with Jordan Everley and Barzel in New York. Following the hiring of Lou Lamarello, he was forced to change his jersey number because it was too high. Like with lou you can't have ninety one, ninety two, ninety three, was it declare Nope. In twenty twenty three, traded to the Canucks. Anthony Bovillier got it bingo bingo, Bingo bingo, and then he was a part of the Bohorbet trade. Okay, this actor, I'll tell you this actor. Boy, oh boy. This actor and comedian has produced, directed and written several films. He started doing a stand up back in nineteen seventy seven. He was on The Johnny Carson Show in nineteen eighty six. Said it was the only dream he ever had to be on that show. He made it. He was on. Show was like Cheers, Chips and Benson. You guys don't know that Chips. You remember Chips and Punch now.
Speaker 5: You guys don't remember Chips now than I even the two cocks in La I know.
Speaker 3: I don't know a punch. Who was the other guy's name, Punch of Strata. Anyways, Benson was a good show too, uh. He launched the careers of megastars like Jim Carrey and Jamie Fox. He was in the movie Hollywood Shuffle twenty fourteen. He was a judge on the eighth season of Last Comic Standing. He is one of ten children. Four of his brothers ractors as well. Are you serious? Bald Wilson Owen Wilson Owen who Wilson No.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 3: He's best known for his long running role in the TV series Living Color. You know Cooper Hi who Keenan and Ivory Waynees Bingo Bingo in Livy Color. Should have given it away? Yeah, And he's scary movie. He did scary movie, the new one. Yeah, no, no, the first one in two directed scary movie.
Speaker 1: There's a new one coming out right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, this one might be tough for you, guys, but let's give it a shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's have been so easy for you.
Speaker 3: So you think those were hard? Anyways? This comedian had a six decade career. She received an Emmy and a Grammy. She appeared in comedy clubs with her peers George Carlin, Woody Allen or Richard Pryor. Rose to prominence in nineteen sixty five as a guest on The Tonight Show Joan Rivers. Yes, what, thank god?
Speaker 5: You got that well, because Joan Rivers infamously with Carson was like a huge.
Speaker 3: But then they got in a big fight.
Speaker 1: They got a big fight.
Speaker 3: Yeah. She started her own talk show. Yeah, and that really pissed Johnny Off.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and that was the end of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Joan Rivers, she was so fabulous. Rolling Stone ranked her one of the top fifty best stand up comics of all.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, absolutely, yep, there you go. All right, thank you very much for that. Is it just me?
Speaker 5: Is coming up on the other side? Rick a birthday from yesterday. I think you'll like, I know you like this guy Wells singer Tom Jones. Tom Jones, Yeah, turn eighty six years old yesterday. He's gonna play us out with. She's a lady from nineteen seventy one? Is it just me coming up next?
Speaker 3: She's the Canada default and take to.
Speaker 1: But she always no suit place.
Speaker 3: She's got stuck.
Speaker 4: Three foot hot dogs, postgame fireworks, Friday noonters and the future Toronto Blue Jays right in your backyard. Catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seventy five years at nap Bailey Stadium. For tickets, promotions and more information, visit Canadians Baseball dot com or call six oh four eight seven to two, five two three to two today.
Speaker 1: Time now for is it just me?
Speaker 5: Brought to you by OPEIC Outdoor Power.
Speaker 1: Equipment Institute of Canada.
Speaker 5: Did you know you can recycle electric wawn and garden equipment for free? OPEIC operates a province wide network of recycling depots to ensure old recycle electric outdoor power equipment gets collected and recycled responsibly.
Speaker 1: Visit O p E I see dot to get more info.
Speaker 3: Rick, all right, if you're gonna go out to dinner with these millionaires, you order the most expensive thing on the menu. Johnny and Victoria. We heard one of the Canucks guys they took out for dinner. I don't know which one, Ryan, Yeah, but they ordered a Wagu steak. Yeah, ninety bucks.
Speaker 1: That was one of the places Quinton found.
Speaker 3: And it's expensive because it's top.
Speaker 6: They treat the cows basically like kings for their entire life.
Speaker 3: And this is in Japan. Japanese cast them up with fat and stuff. They give them like that, so they beef up the cow. Yeah. They literally like treat them like royalty royal.
Speaker 6: Their beef it comes out just before they just you know what.
Speaker 1: I'm you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, wago ninety bucks? Uh rick?
Speaker 6: How would you feel if when we went out for coffee, instead of said me getting coffee, get like a massive latte?
Speaker 3: Coffee is ready yet?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Quick?
Speaker 3: Big again? Stupid price.
Speaker 1: Quinn's right though, it would be like an abuse.
Speaker 3: Coffee right now? Is the stupid prices? You know? Seven eight nine bucks? What's going on?
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is there's a piece of this is wagoo.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so all that white stuff, it's all the extra fat yea, they fatten up the cow.
Speaker 3: Yeah for ninety bucks, you're not getting this. You're getting well, I don't know exactly, but no, no, you're not getting this portion.
Speaker 1: No, well, because we don't really know. I don't know. I have no idea.
Speaker 5: Big that is okay? This is from Navid Delta. Is it just mirroor does the NHL have a problem. If a player is a no trade to protect themselves, a team should have some protection as well. If a player with a no trade demands out, the no trade should be null and void. You can't screw over a team by demanding out and then only giving one or two options it's Navin Delta. Very interesting situation reported today by Helene Saint James out of Detroit who covers the Red Wings, that Dylan Larkin is looking to go to either Minnesota, Las Vegas, or Florida.
Speaker 1: Yes, and move on, and you're seeing a lot of hockey.
Speaker 5: We're getting a lot of reaction in this today, and unfortunately we've just had such a busy show we haven't been able to talk about it a ton. But the eyes glazing over Rick with those being the three teams, not so much Minnesota, but Vegas and Florida. It feels like every one of these guys.
Speaker 3: There's a reason.
Speaker 1: It's there's the only places they want to go.
Speaker 5: And so is the NHR going to become a four team league that only anybody cares about?
Speaker 3: Vegas gives you two things. It's the low tax state, right, Yeah, So both those cities give you what. The only one that's not a low tax state is Minnesota. Yeah, but Quinn Hughes is there. He's buddies with Quinn Hughes very close. Larkin and Quinn Hughes are buddies, really good buddies. And the other two places have low tax state and more.
Speaker 5: Importantly, Rick is is is I'm not so sure. Like Florida, where are they with their window?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Vegas is so ruthless. I don't know if their windows ever going to close.
Speaker 3: It's crazy. Now.
Speaker 5: At the same time, what can any of those three teams give up for Dylan? Like Minnesota, it would have to be essentially, in my opinion, a clone of the huge deal. But well, they don't have those assets anymore. Those assets are here in Vancouver, So what could Minnesota possibly give up? And by the way, if there's one guy that might stare down a game of hardball, it's his GM and Steve Eiseman. Steve, I don't see him, Cavin, because this guy wants out and they're not going to get a centerment of the same quality. By the way, because you're you're behind the eight ball. Yeah, it's an interesting situation.
Speaker 3: I do remember Quinn Hughes told the Canucks before the trade, I want to go to the certain Yeah, you're right, Eastern Seaboard.
Speaker 1: You're right, you're right.
Speaker 3: And so he limited things too, you know, he can demand everything he wants. Yeah, that hockey club in Detroit does not have to do what he says, yeah, no, you're right, they don't have to do it. Okay, regarding Gallagher, great player and teammates, stop or in a rebuild, move on. That's from Rick.
Speaker 1: I sprinkle these in here, which I totally disagree with.
Speaker 3: But I see the hate for Brandan Gallagher. And look, he's not twenty one anymore, he's not top six anymore. He's good, he's over thirties, thirty four, he got healthy, scratched in the playoffs by Montreal. You're not bringing him into being your top six. You're bringing him in because he's gonna help you change at the culture of this hockey club. He has been a leader all his life and he's good. You have had this Vancouver dressing him is horrible, so worst dressing him in the NHL last two years. He's going to help you fix the culture of the hockey club, which was awful.
Speaker 5: Yep, this is from Tanmier, your friend. Is it just mere If the draft combine is so important, Sam Bennett wouldn't be an NHL player we talked.
Speaker 3: About, Yeah, he picks out one. This guy first of all, is an idiot. Second of all, you can't you can pick out one. Oh, Sam Bennett. Yeah, you know, you can't pick out twenty six Sam Bennett incidents. Pat to combine, you can everybody pick up everybody picks it. You're right, okay, but there's not thirty, forty, fifty, sixty seventy more Sam Bennett incidents. The majority of these kids, today's athlete, the elite athletes. These kids, they're eating right, they're resting right, they're doing everything right to try and make the NHL. Just you know, it's the Sam Bennett thing happened, but it's not the norm.
Speaker 6: I think there was an interview later on too in Bennett's career where he said he was battling an injury during that and then also, I don't know about this like fully, but a lot of people are a couple of people have texted in saying the celebrated he had a really like lackluster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did have a great com.
Speaker 5: Quintuck about this before the show with the NFL. You see these guys do the forty. Yeah, makes a big deal about forty. How many of the guys that do a really amazing forty your super Bowl champions. The combine is to collect that, you're right, total, especially off ice.
Speaker 3: What they do on the ice this year in the regular season, in the playoffs, that's what teams are.
Speaker 1: Gonna go off of. You're right, Garth and Ladner. Is it just me?
Speaker 5: But ordering wagu Skate steak is like going over for the first dinner with your new girlfriend's parents when they are saying and ordering the most expensive meal. That's a good point. It is you got the first date dinner with the other family. You're not going with the special.
Speaker 6: It's your first impression, like bingle, they think of you as the guy like.
Speaker 1: So I don't necessarily go with Wago steak.
Speaker 3: He's a kid. He looks at the menu.
Speaker 1: But it's a first impression.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But the fact that he knew what a Wagoo's steak was not everybody does. What is that?
Speaker 6: What does that tell you that he knows what.
Speaker 3: People know he's eating? Right?
Speaker 1: No, he knows that it's a good quality steak.
Speaker 3: Come on, everybody knows.
Speaker 1: How do you know his parents are rich and he eats Wago?
Speaker 3: Probably are, but yeah, but how do you know he doesn't eat Wagoo's steak all the time?
Speaker 5: My kid, we had steak like twice in a week recently, which doesn't happen often for us. My kid Max, he says, he goes steak again.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what is this kind of over it?
Speaker 1: It's a bit overrated. You're right, you're right. You want more before break.
Speaker 3: My dog loves steak. If you just mad money here, yeah, just dog give him the leftovers a little piece. But when he hears the word state, he jumps ten feet in the air.
Speaker 5: Leo, great dog, leo great. We got one more quickly? Oh no, I got okay, we got a break. We got a ton of got a lot of photos we got with sprinkle more. As the week goes on, final segment of the show is next. It's Tony the team on Check.
Speaker 8: The bc Construction Safety Alliance is a not for profit association that makes safety simpler by providing health and safety services and programs to more than fifty seven thousand construction employers and two hundred and twenty thousand workers across the province. We want to bring the bc csa safety message directly to your job site. Book a free visit from the BCCSA Safety on Tour Mobile Trailer Safety on Tours instructor guides your workers through a series of dynamic safety demonstrations from the effect goodness of fall arrest systems to the power of proper head protection. At now to book a memorable Safety on Tour experience at Safety on Tour dot ca.
Speaker 5: A time now to refresh the wadling dog pole question for the final time during the live portion of the show.
Speaker 1: You can still vote on the donning and only Twitter account, though, Rick all.
Speaker 3: Right, Quinn, get her up the waddling dog pop pole question. How much stock do you put into the NHL draft combine performances leading the way fifty three percent, a little, could care less forty two percent, and away at the bottom a lot at five percent. Should it be couldn't care less?
Speaker 1: Yes, my uncle texted me. My uncle texted me that it should have put couldn't.
Speaker 3: It should have been couldn't have, couldn't have, couldn't. But I know, I'm just like I don't actually know, like I've heard both.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I always go with could and it should be couldn't, couldn't by proper English writing, couldn't care less. So I apologize to all the grammar majors out there. My uncle's not one of them, but anybody else I apologize. Yeah, Uncle Glenn okay, votos, great.
Speaker 3: Guy, uncle Glenn. Where are we going here? We're going to I see water? I see water?
Speaker 1: You see what?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 3: I see water? Water? Is it over the bottom one? The bottom one, the one at the bottom. I got it? Mark, great guy right here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I was in penticed and given my first professional presentation, but wanted to get a picture with the Dolly ADNNI and Dolly hat in front of the lake for you guys. So there it is. What a great show the other picture, and he wants us to see what he talked with his co presenter about.
Speaker 6: If we can see this accessibility, it's not just about.
Speaker 3: Accessibility, is not just about ramps planning for neurological.
Speaker 6: Neuro divergent accessibility.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're closer, but anyways, I can't see it because the screens for f there is Mark and Nanaimo presenting.
Speaker 1: Good for Tipton stuff, good stuffy.
Speaker 3: Where else are we going? Now?
Speaker 1: Lost Margaritas? Have you been to Lost Margaritas?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 1: Very good?
Speaker 3: We got two we oh, Chris and Lyndy hockey friends and Avid Donnie and Dolly fans and lost Margaritas. Look at this? What a great photo? Yeah?
Speaker 14: Absolutely you've had Margarita's though I know who hasn't. I mean, but they're just sugar and sugar and sugar, so yeah, not anymore.
Speaker 3: But I'm top telling the truth, am I not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is pretty much that's what it is, an alcoholic slushy.
Speaker 3: But anyways, Chris and Lindy absolutely thank you very much, thank you for the photo, and thank you for watching the show.
Speaker 5: Uh and a reminder quickly, Donny and Dolly merch available online hats, tuks and our brand new quarter zips. We got the navy one, we got the gray one.
Speaker 1: There they are there. I wore my navy one on the show last week.
Speaker 5: And the boony hats they're just like a bigger version of our bucket hat essentially is what it is.
Speaker 1: And that's on the far left there. So all of that available on the Donnie and Dolly online store. Rick, we got to get out of here.
Speaker 5: We do have more photos we we'll get to as the show goes along, including one from Greece.
Speaker 1: Very impressive.
Speaker 5: Tonight, you got Game three, Nick Spurs, New York is gonna be bananas. Yeah, oh yeah, And again we work our way toward Canada's opening match at the FIFA World Cup noon on Friday.
Speaker 1: We're gonna be joined.
Speaker 5: Tomorrow by a friend of the show, Troy Stetchers. Well, and Donnie will be back. Thanks for tuning in, everyone, Ryan Henderson, Rick Dollyball. It's Donnie Dolly the team I Check.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest show content.