Speaker 1: Dreamy Live. I mean, iHeart radio WAP. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to us about here a Fox.
Speaker 3: Sports Sports Steve jiginsawas.
Speaker 1: Now we have one with bringing This is I on the Ball, breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 4: All right, that's what it is, all right, happy finding everyone out there. Here's truly mister giddy t shoes A little bit delayed before we're.
Speaker 2: Here figuring it out, guys, figuring it out, sir.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I'm breaking news with some Arizona athletics news. The Arizona volleyball team advanced to seven and zero today.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: The Abilene Christian in the Borderland Invitational.
Speaker 2: Wow wow wow.
Speaker 3: This kind of reminds me of them. Not not to the degree of this, but I don't know who their opponents are, whether their quality or not. But you remember when we had a Dia Barnsley in here. I don't know I five years ago, and they're winning and and and and I said, you know, your competition says I got to teach them how to win first. Got to teach the win first, because because they didn't know how to win. They were that bad. And then you started learning how to win, and you win and you beat Texas on the road. You're taking what the hell is going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think this could be a lot like that, where you get your wins, you feel good about yourself and you play hard, right, and you play well and you do well.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, no, yeah, I mean you do. There is a thing about learning how to win for sure. And so yeah, no, I you know, good good for because they you know, the Voe struggled.
Speaker 2: Did they win seven last year?
Speaker 4: So last year they won eight games? Yeah, okay, already started the season seven and no, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had around I don't know, a month ago or so. I mean she's very by the book, very you know, methodical how she says things.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, good for her.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 4: They got a real good freshman.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I heard she like a like a from somewhere. So she was the top the top raider recruit. Yeah, out of high school so from where. And then they have like a big transfer, a nice transfer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the transfer from Oregon. I believe it's a good mix. Yeah, a good mix of newcomers experience. So good for them. Seven and zero. Yeah, that's great. Unfortunately, Arizona Soccer lost their Big twelve opener to Utah.
Speaker 2: But they're they're doing well too, aren't they.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they're they're playing well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What's zero? I think they.
Speaker 4: In my opinion one zero is a decent boss.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was it on the road or was it here? I believe it was here?
Speaker 3: Or was it I thought it was on the road. I could be wrong. I don't know either, Okay, but yeah, but they're improved too.
Speaker 4: Yeah. To the NFL some injury news all across the league. Christian McCaffrey will be out for their Viking game this week, and they're considering putting him on.
Speaker 5: I R didn't you say yesterday I'm good to go? I thought I saw something a quote from him saying he was saying he was ready to go at least that's what I Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I saw that.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 3: Coincidentally, he got married this year, so there's no coincidence.
Speaker 2: You're so mean. I'm not saying I haven't been on the IR since I've been single. Man to the Chiefs a lot, Steve.
Speaker 4: Their wide receiver Marquis Browns, will be undergoing the surgery. The Andy Reid said that it's not weeks, they're looking at months and possibly the season.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: Well, you know you feel bad for anybody, but you know, well are we are we going to talk about what's his name?
Speaker 2: Sure? Yep, yep?
Speaker 4: Well good seguay. Thursday night last night, Thursday Night football. The Bills won thirty one to ten, and unfortunately for the Dolphins, their quarterback to what Takabaaloa did go out with the concussion.
Speaker 3: And that's one of those things where you slide rather than you didn't you go ahead first. Uh, but you know he's a tough dude here and then now again he's gonna be injured.
Speaker 5: And that was one of those bad ones where his arms got, you know, all stiff.
Speaker 3: And what do they call that? Like stretch? They can't there's a term for it. They said it this morning a few times. The one I heard was rigoletto, I think, but it was more like as fencing, I think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean got it, you know, yeah, I mean you really, I mean you have to think about your life, right. You know.
Speaker 4: Skyler Thompson went in last night and he's from Kansas State.
Speaker 3: Okay, they need a quarterback for this team because they can score it anytime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got guys, right, got guys.
Speaker 4: They have the stars Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle. Yeah, uh bet, it's just to to you know, this is I believe it is what third and fourth is?
Speaker 2: Fourth? Fourth? One?
Speaker 4: Yeah, fourth and three years or something like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you got You gotta feel bad for him that that you know he's got all this talent, all this ability, all this stuff, and then you know that this is happening to him.
Speaker 3: Well, well, I thought you in a previous show before ours, they were talking about all the I think they're probably talking about stuff like this. There's a point when an athlete, a good athlete, has to figure I call it a day, that one game too many, and you and you take that chance and you get hit that one game too many, that one fight too many, right, and then you're.
Speaker 2: Thinking God should have just called it a day exactly.
Speaker 3: But but you don't know until you know one and two. Your competitor. So you're a competitor. You you want to play.
Speaker 1: This is what you do for lit.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know how many guys are you have such a hard time calling it a day when you know they need to call it a day.
Speaker 2: The end game is the is the bitch you know, you don't know when?
Speaker 5: Yeah, now, yeah, you feel bad for him. I mean, financially and all those things, he'll be fine, but.
Speaker 2: You know, I think they have to pay. They pay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, he's got guaranteed money. But there's a There's also the thing of you live the rest of your life thinking what could have been? You know, some people can handle it, some people don't. And then if you got some sort of a brain injury or what, who knows what happened.
Speaker 2: You said, you're thinking what it could have been. At least you leave thinking no, no, I shouldn't laugh at that, but you're right, but you have your right. You need to you need to take that into consideration.
Speaker 5: Sure, and there's some guys say, well, I'd rather die on the field than not play.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a great option. That's not that's not such a great no, no, no, I hear you.
Speaker 4: Just a lot of coaches around the league are calling for it to retire.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you're on the defensive side and you're still facing him anything. I got to get to that guy, right, But then I don't want to get to that guy and.
Speaker 4: Then of all guys too for the contact to be made. It was themar Hamlin.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I heard that. There was no I'm gonna it was tasteless. I'm not going to bring up a tweet that I saw about that. Okay, people, people were pretty twitter. Twitter has made the world work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think you can say that. I think you can definitely say that. Yeah, all right, again, all the best wishes to do Yeah, and one agree with you. Continuing though with the Week three of the NFL got some good games. Saints visiting the Cowboys. Both went and out looked good.
Speaker 5: In the Week one that was almost gonna be our special game for the Yeah, I wouldn't know.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't know where to go with it, but yeah, that would have been a good one.
Speaker 4: We got the uh Rams and the Cardinals. Both teams are one, but they were good losses.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: The Cardinals battled the Bills. The Rams took on the Lions, they took them the overtime.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I got invited to go to the game this weekend, that Rams and Cardinals game. I'm not going. Okay, have you been to an NFL game up there? Yeah?
Speaker 3: You got to leave like at six in the morning, it takes three hours to get through the traffic, and then it takes those three hours.
Speaker 2: No, I thank you, but I've done it in a couple of different ways.
Speaker 5: Once I just drove up, Yeah, an after you know, Sunday afternoon game, drove up, went to the game, took for you know, leave early, get get you know, get home late. Then I want I did one in style with a friend of ours that had a really nice motor home with direct TV and the whole bit, and we're watching games all the way up. You tailgated, you tailgated, you know, nice place, air conditioning, the whole bit. And then went back after the game, sat there for a couple hours, you know, watched the Sunday night game, and came home and I thought, okay, that's how you do that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, it's yeah, it's hard. So it's a long day. It's a long day because what you do. Yeah, even traffic on a normal day in Phoenix is just.
Speaker 5: We went to we went to a game the last year that the forty nine ers were Candlestick, we went to a game there.
Speaker 2: Same thing.
Speaker 5: Just getting in and out of Candlestick is was worse than getting in and out of Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 2: But same thing.
Speaker 5: You had to get there, you know, nine o'clock in the morning for one o'clock game, just to be able to get in on time, right, that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: But I hear you. You're not gonna go for too long. Think he's listening. No, No, he's in Phoenix and they have sweet tickets. It's nice tickets.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I did that two years three years ago. Now I'm getting it. I must getting.
Speaker 3: Because I would if I were your guys, h when I was a fan, I would have done it. Say okay, cool, can we do something afterward too?
Speaker 2: But I just want to say, you're such a You're such a grumpy old dude.
Speaker 5: Man, you really are. What I but you know what, if somebody invited me the game Sunday, probably wouldn't go. It's a one o'clock game too. Yeah, you kinda leap so earlight into traffic.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, I love I love just sitting around on a Saturday or on a Sunday and watching watching games. Although this Sunday, Steve, I've got to put I got to put in a new garage door opener in my house.
Speaker 2: See, wife comes at you hard. It does, it does.
Speaker 4: Another good game. Bengals visiting the Chiefs, rematch from the AFC Championship a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: I love that game, and you'll find out why so so.
Speaker 3: And then you got to the Bengal game. Bengals, you already don't. Well, he's got to go the other way with it because you already don't think dead to you if if form holds, Cincinnati is not a good team to pick. So we'll see where he goes with that one. Uh to two young quarterbacks going out at Sunday night. Bears visiting the Texans. See it was the first time against Stroud. Yeah, we'll see he did. I guess he didn't. I didn't see a lot of the game, but I guess he didn't look.
Speaker 2: Good last week. A defensive touchdown, a special team's touchdown or something like that.
Speaker 4: Right, they pulled it out, but the offense didn't score. Yeah, okay uh to the college world. The Georgia quarterback Daniel Harris was arrested today, charged after driving one hundred and six miles per.
Speaker 3: Hour, death taxes and a guy in Georgia with a speeding ticket that plays for the football team, the places for the football team.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: They're a danger to their community. The whole football team is a danger to their damn community. These guys don't know what the hell is going on.
Speaker 2: They're making enough nil they can get an uber.
Speaker 5: Or somewhere, you know, And the fact that Kirby Smart will do nothing about it, it drives me crazy. You know, that just drives me crazy. What's this like the eighth or tenth guy that's been arrested for reckless driving and if they've killed some people, I mean, what the hell are we doing over there?
Speaker 3: Well, there's your thing of entitlement, you know, entitlement guys kids playing, I know.
Speaker 5: But if you're a coach of a program that's got a hundred dudes in there and that's the culture, you've got to do something.
Speaker 2: You've got to change that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they've talked about this for years now.
Speaker 2: Well that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I mean, don't don't you don't don't you tell your team, Okay, you get a traffic ticket, anything, you get a speeding ticket, you're suspended for a game. And if you get a reckless driving you're off the team. Boom wouldn't don't wouldn't that help?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean I would think it would.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's work, it works all the way up the ladder middle school, and he's just.
Speaker 2: This week. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, we're three dudes in a room talking about this. You're not the coach making millions and need the guy to do it easy for you, you know easy. And when you're a parent, your kids are not do what you said them to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But if my kid gets a reckless driving and they take him to jail, that's that wasn't my question. He's spending the night in jail. Oh I don't disagree with that. But did your kids always listen to you? No? No, okay, let's move on. No, I hear you, But they didn't do stuff like that. And I almost got out there, I did you do stuff like that?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just didn't get caught. That's welcome to the Georgia football program. Pot. This is cattle, all right.
Speaker 4: And then, of course, uh, Week three college football got some good matchups. Alabama visiting Wisconsin. I'm not sure how good.
Speaker 2: That one is.
Speaker 3: You think, Well, you know what the thing is in our mind, we think Alabama's Alabama.
Speaker 2: Alabama right. Alabama was in Alabama because the.
Speaker 5: Coaching Wisconsin has been Wisconsin for a long time, right, That's why I didn't touch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Alabama struggled last I mean when you think of that, when you think of the stay right now, when you think of the programs, yes, you say Alabama Wisconsin.
Speaker 5: That's one of those games that we're always asking for. I'm really not sure how good a game that that is. I mean, I think the Arizona Kansas State game is a better game, right.
Speaker 4: A lot of people were talking about it. They said, this game tonight should have been done tomorrow. It probably would have been the game day game. Yeah, it could have been that game. Yeah, but who knew?
Speaker 2: Who knew?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 4: You got Boston College going to Missouri both to and OH teams.
Speaker 5: Boston College is getting like sixteen points, right yep? And they didn't didn't. They just beat the crap out of Florida State. That's what I thought I remember seeing, although maybe we don't know how bad Florida State might be. I didn't pick that one though, Steve, even though I feel like that's a lot of points for a Boston College to be getting, to be getting it took something else.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, you got the Civil War or the organ School going. That's our special game this week.
Speaker 1: We got it.
Speaker 2: We both got to pick that. It just feels wrong. Well in Washington.
Speaker 5: Washington State are also playing this week the Appy in September.
Speaker 4: September.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what the Oregon State and Washington State get for sucking and not being able to, you know, go with everybody else to one of the conferences.
Speaker 4: You also got a Colorado visiting Colorado State. We'll see how they bounce back if they do.
Speaker 5: And I'm a huge fan of the Rams, huge fan of Colorado tea tea. No, no, that's not no, no, I'm just I'm just rooting for Colorado State to win that game. I guess one of their players came out and said, we should have murdered them last year. But they which somebody from Colorado State, and they should have they did. They had them on the ropes.
Speaker 2: They did have them on the ropes. They should have had them. All right, that's all I got it. Okay, I have one more. Do we have time a minute or so? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Uh no, we got to get out of here. It's quarter after all right, we'll hit the road. I'll bring this up in in the last segment. So we've got to hit the road. We're going to come back. We've got John Wilner coming on. We're going to talk about that wealth the new pack six.
Speaker 2: So stick around.
Speaker 8: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorota and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 4: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 9: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 10: It's award season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your companies. Giveaways. Keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos in caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight Westtrackman Street or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 11: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, That's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven arizon A BKO Ninez two nine pot two Equal Housing Opportunity, How to commitment to lyndrix in credit rates and available loan programs of subject to change the undubice.
Speaker 12: Did you know sports cards a memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mental SO for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie SO for five points six also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's Showtime Cards.
Speaker 2: Ready to save but not sure where to begin?
Speaker 13: Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars Saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way.
Speaker 2: Save five hundred.
Speaker 13: Dollars over six months as a member and you could win big. Watch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today.
Speaker 14: That really insured n CUA gut bugs, termites, fees or rodents. Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 3: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armni Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home of Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera and Jake and Salez they have their Eye on the Ball on Tucson Sports Stage Jet Fox Sports fourteen fifty streaming live. I mean iHeart radio apps.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to Why the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, He Dignos all now, when if all we have John Wilner from the Wilner Hotline from the Santa's a injury news done.
Speaker 6: How you doing? I am good?
Speaker 2: Thanks?
Speaker 6: How you guys?
Speaker 2: Fine? Thank you? Have you been sitting down waiting for news since.
Speaker 3: The PAC twelve it was gone? Now you finally have stuff to write about or it's always been this way.
Speaker 15: It's been a pretty busy two years, la, and that's say we're leaving. It's been pretty busy. This week was close to one of the busiest.
Speaker 5: I gotta say, did was there any inkling from anywhere that this was coming together.
Speaker 2: Coming well?
Speaker 6: It kind of depends coming together.
Speaker 7: Yes, coming together exactly on Wednesday night Thursday morning. No, I caught me a little bit by surprise.
Speaker 6: But once the.
Speaker 7: Scheduling agreement deadline came and went between the PAC twelve and the Mount West for the twenty twenty five season, you kind of felt like, all right, something's gonna happen soon.
Speaker 6: But you never you know, with realignment, you never know. It kind of comes out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: But kind of what you expected.
Speaker 3: We are Obviously more is gonna come with more teams and more schools coming in, but kind of what you maybe thought in.
Speaker 2: The first phase, Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean, for sure, the most likely scenario was gonna be some collection of Mount West schools joining Washington State and Oregon State competing under the PAC twelve banner.
Speaker 6: Now, whether it was gonna be four.
Speaker 16: Schools, six schools, twelve schools, that was a little up in the air, but this top grouping was, I mean, there was by far the most likely scenario that they were gonna be in the same conferences Washington State and Oregon State.
Speaker 5: Were you surprised they only they only took the uh the six that they did and they didn't go.
Speaker 6: Or was it four that that was four to make six?
Speaker 2: Florida make six?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 5: That that they only took four and that you know UNLV's not in there. Maybe San Jose State, I mean that they didn't go to the eight. Right now, what are they doing?
Speaker 6: Well, they're kind of they're buying themselves in time.
Speaker 7: They needed something in order to basically say to the world the PAC twelve is going to live on uh and those four knew that they wanted to leave, but they are kind of reserving space to see if they can get some other schools. I think they are going to look to the east to see about expanding the footprint. Is months available UTSA, Tulane, those kind of schools, maybe even South Florida or Texas State.
Speaker 16: They want to see if they can expand the footprints, and if they can't, then they know they can circle back to the Mountain West and perhaps get UNLV and air Force and schools like that.
Speaker 3: Well, it's obviously a lose for the Mountain West because they've lost some key, key teams or key schools. What do you think there, what's the vibe at the PAC twelve office saying, Okay, this is the start of us kind of coming back in some form.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's I think it's being felt at the PAC twelve and also on the two campuses, like all right, this is the start of our our rebirth, so to speak. Right, I mean, it's gonna be a viable conference starting in the summer of twenty twenty six. They know that they can get two schools, so it'll be a minimum of an eight team league. And you know what, it's gonna be a pretty good football league. With the six they have, that's not a bad league. Now we'll see who else they add that will kind of help determine what their TV deal is.
Speaker 6: Like you know just what the overall it is. But they've got the you know, the core group of a decent football conference.
Speaker 5: Saying that though they're not going to be a power school, right, they're gonna be a group of five or group of quarter six or whatever it becomes.
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, they're not gonna The thing is that designation power power four and and group of five. It doesn't really matter with the new playoff, right because the five highest rank conference champions are going to get.
Speaker 6: In oh okay qualifiers, and that's not that's not changing.
Speaker 7: There's there are like if you assume that the sec ACC Big ten and Big twelve winners will be four of the five highest ranked conference champions, then there's one more spot and that spot would go to the best team from either the rebuilt Pac twelve, the American the Sun Belt Conference USA. So you know, the rebuilt Pack twe it is going to have a pretty decent chance of sending its its champion to the playoff.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so it's this is all about money. It's always been all about money.
Speaker 3: So the Pac twelve, as you as you know, and you can tell us it has tons of money because they're not paying any of the teams that left, right, So I'm sure the Mountain West schools are saying, oh, now we have some money.
Speaker 2: Well the you mean the four that are coming years that are.
Speaker 6: Going in the Pack twelve.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: The thing is they, oh, there's a lot of exit fees. I mean, it breaks down to about.
Speaker 7: Twenty five twenty six million dollars for each of the four schools to enter the PAC twelve. Now that's a combination of a penalty that the Pack twelve owes the Mountain West and it's also the exit fees that those schools, oh the Mountain West. So it's like one hundred and ten million dollars total. You know, the PAC twlve's got a lot of money. They've got over the course of time. They have two hundred and fifty million dollars at their disposal. Some of that is going to Oregon State Washington State to to basically fund their athletic operations. But there's a lot of money there, and so that will be used to help pay those departure penalties, and then you know, they the four schools coming in will get whatever TV deal the PAC twelve is able to put together and that money is that penalty money is going to go to the Mountain West, and the Mountain West schools will do be that up between them, I guess, and or they'll use it to try to expand themselves.
Speaker 6: See what the Mountain West does next?
Speaker 5: Well yeah, and that's the thing now, Okay, So not what is the Mountain Western? They've lost four of their best schools, particularly football schools. You know, are they going to go try and you know, round somebody up? And you know, one of the discussions I heard was maybe they go get some of the best FCS teams like a Montana, Montana State, maybe North Dakota State, some of those.
Speaker 2: I mean, the things a long way from being done. But what are your thoughts on where they go?
Speaker 7: For some more?
Speaker 6: It is a long way from being done. I don't know that the FCS schools are going to want to do it.
Speaker 7: Because I don't think the Mountain West is gonna be able to put together a TV deal. I mean, all of the all of the schools that have value the TV are moving into the PAC twelve. So if there's no TV deal, what is the incentive for the Montana schools?
Speaker 2: For instance?
Speaker 6: To join. They're better off being you know, big fishes in the FCS.
Speaker 7: Then they are moving in the FBS and struggling to survive, which is essentially what would happen. So I'm skeptical of that. I think the Mount West is in serious trouble of just you know, just banding, much more serious trouble than the PAC twelve was. Because Washington State and Oregon State always had the option to go into the Mount West to get the best schools. The Mountain West doesn't have anywhere to turn. I mean, I don't think that school's Sunbelt or Conference USA are going to come to the Mount West because there's not going to be a TV deal available.
Speaker 6: They're better off where they are.
Speaker 3: So I don't think you guys have mentioned we did yesterday Jay with Vegas and Nevada, you know, the and Nevada.
Speaker 2: What are their chances right? Right? What happened there that you and lv didn't get included in this.
Speaker 7: Because of the there's some state politics involved, and it's lenov basically needs clearance to separate from RENA from the Reno campus, and it sounds to me like they.
Speaker 6: Don't have that clearance yet.
Speaker 7: And that was part of the reason that they are not in this first wave of schools going into the PAC twelve. Now, we'll see in the next three to six months if UNLV gets approval to go to the PAC twelve and leave Nevada behind. If they don't, then you know, that's that's a school that PACTROV won't have the option to get.
Speaker 6: But that's a state a largely a state political issue.
Speaker 5: We're talking to John Wilner from the Wilner high Line and the Santa's American News. John, But I mean un LV and Nevad weren't even in the same conference for the longest time. It was only until relatively recently that they both wound up in the Mountain West.
Speaker 2: When did when did they get joined at the hip like that?
Speaker 7: You know, I don't know the background of what's going on there with their with its system, but at some point someone over there is going to realize that, you know, Nevada has got no place to go.
Speaker 6: And so are you going to also prevent un l V from from.
Speaker 7: Getting into the PAC twelve or are you going to relegate both of them to a much lesser existence. I have to think somebody will eventually get smart and realize they're better off at least letting UNLV get get the PAC twelve money and the PAC twelve platform, because if they don't, I mean again, the Mountain West is very seriously in jeopardy of total collapse and disintegration, and they want both of schools at that fate, or you know, at least get UNLV into a life raft.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we both know the Mount West commissioner and Glory and of ours from her time at the PAC twelve. Have you had a chance to talk to her? Has anybody talked to her? And what's been what's she saying?
Speaker 6: I have not spoken to her. I reached out to her earlier this week. I have not spoken to her.
Speaker 7: I think that you know, they are like the pone ones, you know a year ago or two years ago when Lee left right, you're caught by surprise and you're scrambling to come together and come up with options. Meanwhile, the schools themselves are trying to call to get into other conferences.
Speaker 6: They're looking for life boats. Yeah, so a tough situation.
Speaker 7: I would argue that the mount West might have misplayed its hands a little bit right once the PAC twelve schools got two hundred and fifty million dollars in Assetsuntain.
Speaker 6: I should have known, you know what, we need to hold them as close.
Speaker 7: As we can rather than kind of creating a invisible wall here, and instead they kind of created an invisible wall. So we'll see what happens to the Mountain West. But they are in scramble mode right now.
Speaker 3: Well in essence, in essence, the Pac twelve will now be the Mountain West, or you know, a souped up Mountain West. No New Mexico, right, No Colorado State.
Speaker 7: They got Colorado State, but no, just no, they don't have They're probably not going to end up with Utah State, Santurday State, Nevada, Hawaii, maybe in Mexico.
Speaker 6: Those schools are in a little bit of trouble.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, yeah, no question.
Speaker 7: But you know it will You could argue it's going to be a souped up Mountain West, but let's see first who they get. Because if there's a way for them to get Tulane and UTSA and a couple other schools, then is it's a souped up Mountain West but with a much larger footprint, And you know that could be kind of an interesting conference. I think it's a pretty good football conference even with just those six, but we'll see where things go.
Speaker 5: Any predictions on what kind of a TV contract they can get, because I think what the Mountain West gets six right now?
Speaker 2: Six million?
Speaker 7: Yeah, the average the Mountain West average over the six years, I think rounds out to about five million per school. I think the pack the new PAC twelve could could certainly double that are very close to doubling it, and that it also depends on who else they add. I mean, if they added a Memphis and a two lane, maybe that gets more money because they have more time zones and more kickoff windows. But I think anything in the nine, ten eleven million dollar range is probably pretty reasonable for the rebuilt PAC twelve, and anything about.
Speaker 6: That would be a huge victory.
Speaker 7: Now, remember the Mountain West has is getting five million a year basically, but that's with the low average valued school right those schools are not part of the new PAC twelve. It's only the above average valued schools that are joining the PAC twelve.
Speaker 5: Now, what's the long term here for Oregon State and Washington State if they're in a league now or instead of getting thirty million dollars they're getting ten eleven, twelve million dollars. I mean, at some point this money that they got with the breakup of the Pac twelve runs out. They're spending it like crazy obviously to get more teams. At some point they're gonna have to operate far below what they've been getting revenue wise. It, at least from a TV standpoint.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they oh, for sure, they will. Absolutely.
Speaker 7: The difference between what they're going to get and what the Big twelve is getting is basically going to be the difference between.
Speaker 6: The Big twelve and the Big Ten, right in terms of millions of dollars.
Speaker 7: Now, that does not count post college football playoff money and then split tournament money, but just from a TV deal standpoint, you know, the rebuilt PAC twelve will be at ten million, say, and the Big twelve is at thirty million, and the Big ten is at like sixty million. Now they supplement that with the playoff and March madness, but that's kind of how the broadcast television deals are gonna work, and the Beavers and Cougars are gonna have to certainly adjust their budgets, There's no doubt about that. And it's that's gonna be hard in this era when you've got to share revenue with the players.
Speaker 6: Certainly they have got an uphill climb, there's no doubt.
Speaker 2: Well, John Wilner, you appreciate your time and keeping us updated.
Speaker 5: Wait wait, wait, wait a minute, are you still like paying attention to Arizona, Arizona State?
Speaker 2: Those guys?
Speaker 6: You mean the undefeated Air Sun Devils.
Speaker 5: Those ones and the undefeated Arizona Wildcats. They got a big game tonight, Kansas State?
Speaker 2: What do you think they do?
Speaker 6: Have a huge game tonight. I'm looking forward to that.
Speaker 5: What do you what do you think on that one? Are you giving or taking the seven? Are you giving or taking the seven?
Speaker 6: I think I would probably take the seven. I think it's gonna be tough.
Speaker 7: You know, road games Friday road games are hard, and Kansas State is good. The thing that I'm looking forward to is it's gonna tell us where Arizona fits in the Big Twelve, even though it's not technically conference right, If they can go in there and win or play a tight game deep in the fourth quarter, you know, then you have to figure Arizona's in the top group of front runners for the Big Twelve playoff spots.
Speaker 2: All right, man, Yeah, yeah, I agree totally. Thanks John. Hey, John, appreciate it be well.
Speaker 6: Thanks a lot of guys.
Speaker 3: That was John Wilner from the Wilder Hotline. We'll come back after the break. An Arizona men's basketball fan. You know it's been successful for newly forty years now. Take a look back at the Loudelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's the Coach. Lessons from Newton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 17: Hi, this is formal Wildcat Leman huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 2: Space in your life.
Speaker 17: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started and keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 10: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot Edu. Slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 3: Tucson, Steve Rivera here and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmund Marcus All State Agency.
Speaker 2: You're always in good hands.
Speaker 3: Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 1: Straight me live on the iHeartRadio app. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball hero Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, He's jaginsauf got our guy one in today we have our guy Henry and Matt and the you guy.
Speaker 2: We got about the twenty minute fifteen minutes. Now, we got our picks. Five Friday picks. Man, you got you got the champion of the world right now, right, you got the check. We gotta go first, you know you get your one pick? Yeah, okay, all right, I got all right going. We got our five picks again.
Speaker 5: Three college or two college, two pro, and then you can usually you can pick whatever you want culture appro for your fifth I always go three college. Steve always goes three pro, so I have a little difference there. We both got to pick the Civil War, the Oregon State Oregon game. So we'll both picked that one.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: And these are spreads that we we we lock in our spreads on Thursday, so these were yesterday spreads. They may have changed a little bit today, all right, So I am staying staying on the Longhorn bandwagon. My first pick is I'm taking Texas or giving thirty five and a half too, I don't remember, and it didn't matter to me. I was good to take them no matter what. Right is the utsaad Gosh, I should have had that down, Okay, I got Texas giving thirty five and a half to UTSA. I just think I just think they're really damn good. Not at some point they're gonna crash and burn, you know, they're gonna lose a game that they shouldn't or whatever, because that's what Steve Sarkisian does. But I just think they're they are so good right now, it just won't be tomorrow, and well we'll see. I'm taking that's a big point spread, I know, but I just think Texas is just they're just damn good and they're on a roll. So Texas mine is thirty five and a half against utsa.
Speaker 3: Okay, sounds good to me, and I really don't care about that one. So I'm gonna break your heart right away with my college pick, my first college pick. I'm going with Colorado over Colorado State for no other reason than I just think they're ready to play well for a game because they have to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the spread is what, it's not very big. I don't ge.
Speaker 3: It's like six or seven. Yeah, it's seven. I think it's gonna be a bit. I think they'll show up for this one. They sty're better than what they showed. Are they any good? I don't, But they have to start winning a game or two here.
Speaker 2: I think they're gonna win the game. I just don't want him to. Yeah, yeah, so why pick it up. I'm just gonna I'm just gonna be a troll and say I hope you lose. Okay, but now I.
Speaker 5: In the endsty they still got They've got good players. They just don't have enough good players in the right places too, you know, I mean, should they.
Speaker 2: Be Coloro State? Of course? This is also maybe you guys would chime in.
Speaker 3: Last year, they were playing really well for the first five weeks, right, they won't last one and then they tanked it for the rest in that Stanford game when they had that that.
Speaker 2: Kind of put him in the in the in the edition toilet.
Speaker 3: But at some point, and I think I think this is the case, at least in my mind, that they started to they started to wilt over everything right there, and it was almost like the team gave up. And that happens, right especially in a in a coaching system like this where it might be overbearing and you say, you know, he doesn't care about us, we don't care about Unlet's just go and play and not care. Yeah, I'm not saying that happen, but it sure looked like it. Well, it sure went all the hell in the handbasket that he could recover. Yeah, and they got They never did recover. You're you're not You're wagging your head like, yes, right, you gotta believe what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, the fact that they couldn't get that Stanford game just threw everything that was. They started looking at next season and they started looking and going somewhere else too, a whole bunch of them.
Speaker 3: And they're also going to come a point where this year where the pressure, whatever you call it, is uh is on d on the focus and then the chador, all these the kids, uh, and they can't they can't perform to what they're expecting.
Speaker 5: Well, let's say, let's remember what's his name? Shadow broke his arm and he got a good player out, you know, So all right, Okay, I'm okay with that, Steve. You didn't break my heart with that. Okay, all right, Well that's all right, taking another big name, of taking another blue blood. I'm gonna ride uh Oklahoma. I think that uh you know, I know they barely be Houston last week. So I'm to say that in this particular case, the coaches getting their attention, they know they got to do better than that.
Speaker 2: They're in the SEC.
Speaker 5: They can't be scrubbing against against teams like like Houston like they did last week. So I've got Oklahoma. They're giving thirteen to I don't even remember who again, Lane to Lange, there you go. I think to Lane got a little full of itself in the way they they hung with Kansas State last week. I think they're disappointed that they lost that game. I think they're just a little bummed about themselves. And I think Oklahoma's just gonna go in there and beat the hell out of them, giving thirteen.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, did Iver analyzed that every game. I would be surprised if you didn't over analysy game. Okay. So now I'm gonna go to pro because I want to say my oh yeah, you got you gotta do Oregon State.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I'm gonna take Detroit again, my second time picking Detroit.
Speaker 2: Who they play?
Speaker 3: I have this Tampa Bay, Tapa Bay. It's a home game, I think it is. I'm going to take a given seven and a half and half. The hook is going to probably kill me. But seven and a half in Detroit minus?
Speaker 2: Did I tell you that?
Speaker 5: I that I I they finished up by scoring the touchdown and overtime that they scored. I hit a three team parlay with that because I needed a touchdown, you know, because because you think they're going to go. Yeah, the line was the line was I had I had gotten the line at three and a half.
Speaker 2: It was six.
Speaker 5: It was six and a half. But I got it three and a half because I bet it. After Denver it kicked a field goal on its opening drive and the and the line dropped at three and a half.
Speaker 2: No, they didn't play who that Denver? Who did they play the reps? Right?
Speaker 5: Uh, that was a different game. That was Seahawks. That happened to me with Seahawks were six and a half. I got them at three and a half, but then I closed it out. But again the line was three and a half, right, so you had to have a touchdown.
Speaker 2: So I got that, and I got that. That's what it was they got. I got confused. Okay, all right, you got confused, right, duck down?
Speaker 5: That never happens, all right, all right, my net, Well, okay, my lock, I'm locking this. Those Chiefs over those damn crap butt head.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah see I knew he's going to do Yeah, so he overreacts.
Speaker 2: It's the overreaction, over reactions.
Speaker 5: The Chiefs are at home, they're only giving five. The Bengals just suck.
Speaker 2: That is a small line for that game.
Speaker 5: It is you know, I think if that game, I think if that line's seven and a half, I probably won't take it.
Speaker 2: They got they got win by touchdown. Yeah, but you didn't. Checks are good. You didn't.
Speaker 3: In factor in the Gonzales factor from last week's That is true, Bengals.
Speaker 2: It is true.
Speaker 5: The Chase by five. I'm gonna lock that up. I feel like that's a I'm just gonna say, I feel like it's a good pick.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, So my next pick is an NFL game. I'm gonna go on the other side with I'm going with the Jaguars because I think the Browns are bad and Jaguars just named the new stadium after the quarterback, and they lost last week against Miami, so I think they'll win this.
Speaker 2: The spread is only three. So will it mess you up if I told you that I thought about taking that, No, because you didn't take it, Okay, Yeah, because.
Speaker 5: I did think about taking it, but I thought then I saw the Chiefs, I saw the Chiefs points spread, and I said, okay, I'm taking I'm taking the Chiefs the Browns. The Browns look really bad, you know, Shaun Watson looks terrible. He's got all this on his mind. Now, this stuff that came up this week. That's a pretty good pick, Steve.
Speaker 2: I'll have that one. Yeah, okay, all right, all right.
Speaker 5: My next pick, you know, I'm just gonna I'm just gonna ride the cream, just taking the cream.
Speaker 2: Nothing but cream here.
Speaker 5: I'm taking the forty nine ers, McCaffrey's I even I eve'n took this after McCaffrey announced that he was out, because that guy that they got last week was pretty damn good. And the forty nine ers are just good. I like, I like, I like what I see. They're giving five at the Vikings. Vikings don't excite me, you know, I think, and the forty nine ers are solid in places that travel, Their defense is really good, they can run the ball rock party wasn't even spectacular last week. He was just solid, and and that's who they are, and and I think that that's a that's that's how they're gonna win games all year long. And you know what, they know, McCaffrey's out, so they don't need to do anything fancy. They're just gonna win there and grind out. And I think they've got I think got a touchdown winning that one.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 2: Was that an over analysis? That over analysis, It is a little bit, just a little bit, okays, be nice to you.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: I thought that I had some Cisco and I scratched them for Jacksonville, So I kind of I kind of agree with that picked not so much with the over analysis, but I agree with that. Okay, So my lock for pros is going to be Baltimore. I really like they're a good teams. They're gonna be I think they could even get to the super Bowl this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, with Anthony Richardson Baltimore. Oh, Baltimoke is thinking Colts Baltimore. You know where you're at Universal Studio in half over.
Speaker 4: Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: Yeahs.
Speaker 3: And of course you know Las Vegas stuck it up against Chargers Rest last week. Uh, the former U bag guy Anthony an Antonio. So I like Baltimore. I like them a lot this year. So they're my lock.
Speaker 2: Well well, and and they I mean, they played a really good game against the Chiefs. It's just yeah, they just lost. They just lost.
Speaker 3: Hard to beat and you have to play really well to beat the Chiefs, and they were right there.
Speaker 5: Yeah for most of the games they gave him, So they gave themselves a chance. All right, that's your lock, all right, I like that. I'll roll with that one.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 5: Now we both got to pick Oregon State giving or getting six and a half against Oregon. Game is in Corvellis. It's the Civil War. And I said to somebody, this might actually be or like a real civil war. Oregon State fan is pissed. Oregon fan Oregon thinks that they're all that it always has and always has. Sixteen and a half in a rivalry game, it seems like a lot. And because of that, I am going to take Oregon State because I just think that, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, Oregon's not been good. They had they went to overtime against Boise State. They barely beat somebody the week before, who was it, Idaho? Idaho? Right, they just haven't looked good.
Speaker 5: Now, if you're on the other side of this, you're saying, Okay, well, it's time that they look good.
Speaker 2: They've got guys to look good.
Speaker 5: But I just think that in a game with this kind of emotion and at the first time they've played each other since one of them ditched the other, I think it's a big deal. And I think Oregon State is gonna be a little more fired up, a little more bouncing its step, and it's at home. So I want Oregon State plus the sixteen and a half.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I'm sorry to say I'm gonna agree with you on that. Pick sixty and a half. A lot of points I think I saw in trends that Oregon State has covered eighteen of twenty two of those games. Because you know, rivalry games are crazy, and this game you think, okay, if you're just a normal dude who picked this game, he said Oregon, Oregon State, Oregon is gonna kill him. That never happens. It's like the issue U of a game, right, you say, oh, that game is easy, and then it never happens. Right, Weird things happen. So I'm going with Oregon State as well plus sixteen and a half, all right, which which is very strange of me to do this, But I'm taking Oregon State all right.
Speaker 5: By the way, send me a reminders I post the pics this week. Yes, don't send me the reminder on Monday asking me if I did.
Speaker 2: I'm looking for him. What the hell? What's your pick? What's your pick? All right?
Speaker 4: But you got there's some good games this week, a fun game. I was looking at UCF and TCU. You got the Apple Cup, Boston College, Missouri. What I took was Florida over Texas A and M.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 7: I think.
Speaker 4: Right now they have A and M by four three and a half. Maybe I'm not sure you're taking the points I got Florida by two touchdowns. Why, I think they have a really good quarterback. Now, yeah, I didn't trust mergers. They changed quarterbacks, quarterbacks, they got the freshman. Uh and we've seen what happens when there's an injury and a freshman comes in steps up.
Speaker 2: All right, so you're going with it? What are you going?
Speaker 5: Do you?
Speaker 2: How do you points?
Speaker 3: You're getting three and a half. Yeah, at home home, Doug. Yeah, and that too the fact that it's at the swamp. Okay, all right, so you refresh us again.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'll give Steve's picks first, since he was the loser last week.
Speaker 5: Colorado minus the seven against Colorado State, Oregon State and our special but plus sixteen and a half over Oregon. He's taking the Lions minus seven and a half against the Bucks, the Jags minus three against the Browns. On his lock is thes minus eight and a half against the Raidas I'm taking I'm riding that longhorned bandwagon take giving thirty five and a half to Utsa. We've had Oklahoma minus thirteen against Tulane. I also am taking Oregon State plus the sixteen.
Speaker 2: And a half.
Speaker 5: My lock is the Chiefs minus five against the crap ass Bengals, and I've got the forty nine ers giving five to the Vikings in Minneapolis. And then Big One has got Florida getting three and a half at home against Texas A and m Go Gators, all right, go Gators.
Speaker 2: All what do you think? I'm a winner? Steve? I got this?
Speaker 3: So you said last week, actually, that was the best week you've had in two years. I'm not joking four last week. I think that's what I'm saying. That was the best week you've had a couple of years. All Right, I know, I know, all right, Okay, I think you have some momentum. You're scoring the game Arizona game.
Speaker 18: I don't know, I don't know. I'll take the seven though, I take the seven, You take the seven high scoring though. You think of the thirties both, Yeah, I don't want Juan one. Do you think thirty to thirty to twenty four case?
Speaker 2: Excuse you? All right? But doesn't need to cover.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I think it's like a thirty one to twenty eight Kansas State, you know something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sticking thirty one seventeen all right, cats, all right.
Speaker 2: Man, you guys, we're good on time. Arizona, Matt all right, well for Arizona. Oh you kids, you guys, all right.
Speaker 5: Let's get the heck out of here, Arizona, Kansas State coming right up Monday.
Speaker 2: Let's see what we'll be here Monday. We'll talk about it.