Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are get off our show.
Speaker 1: Idiot, the kids are playing or turning off, crying punctures are screwing it up. Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 2: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Here's nick coffee?
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started. Shall we welcome into a Tuesday edition Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you guys joining us. I mean, if you're here right now, you are on time, you are punctual, as they say. I appreciate that. And I assume that means you're gonna be with us for the next three hours, because if you're here at the start, I assume that means you've just been impatiently waiting for this thing to get going. And now we're here, it's three oh one, and again you need to be here with us for the next three hours. But if for some reason, something comes up that might take you away from this great experience that is Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's from three to six pm on Sports Talk seven ninety. If there's something out there that could draw you away, just know you can always take us with you. Listen live on the IHET Radio Web Listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. My name is Nick Coffee, the company Man, the man with the plan. Mister John Alden is alongside John. We feeling good today, Brother, I am feeling good. You had a good afternoon thus far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I woke up with a sore throat and I was it was going to take me into the rest of the day. But you know, I'm a big coffee drinker and so a couple of cups of coffee I've actually had three today already really soothes the throat feeling a lot better.
Speaker 2: So do you feel like it's allergy related?
Speaker 1: Because yeah, my wife has really bad allergies too, and they usually affect her sooner than they affect me. And you know, just listening to myself talk right now, it definitely sounds like things are at least working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the time being. E kid me. You sound phenomenal as always. Yeah, I mean, allergies aren't fun for anybody, and allergies can cause like things that really kind of can just derail your day or really just cause you you know, it could be a real pain in the ass. So although you know, I don't know if there's any allergies that would be related to your actual ass, but you know what I mean, And I sometimes feel myself feeling a little itch, you know, and I just hope it's allergies because that you know that at least it makes it make sense. It usually isn't something that's going to completely, you know, put you down and out for a couple of days. But yeah, this when when the seasons are changing, which what I mean, that's what we're at right now. That you know, I'm hoping it's allergies for you because I don't want you getting sick. You don't get you never get sick.
Speaker 1: Sort of taking one sick day in the history of me being here for nearly five years.
Speaker 2: I'd like to I hope we're still working together in the year twenty forty seven. I just picked a random year many many years from now, and and you're still sitting here saying one sick day in the history of because like some people can claim, like, oh, I've never took it, never took a sick day. Of those kids you went to school with it, like bragged about never missing a day of school. I bet that was worth it.
Speaker 1: I was one of those, at least, at least for all you know, I didn't even know this for a while, you never missed a day of school, not that I remember ever, No, not ever.
Speaker 2: That's a really hard thing to do, especially when you're people. But people have done it. Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I thought you were literally about to say you were one of those guys that graduated high school and could claim you never missed a day of school for being sick. That might be true, but I've missed days for other reasons. Yeah, same thing, like perfect attendance. She ever heard of that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've heard of perfect attempt Okay, So like that's like the lame thing to brag about though, right, absolutely.
Speaker 2: That was my point.
Speaker 3: But then you made me kind of feel like you were one of those guys might be who he's talking about, but you would know, Like again, if you were somebody like that went through public school, I guess it could be private too, but you and I are both some public school OG's here, and you never missed a day of school for any reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I'm not in that category, okay, cause some people are. It's super rare, but like the people who do it, you know. In fact, I remember there were two kids that I was in school with one. I mean, I mean it was a known thing, like we got to like seventh eighth grade kid never missed the day, sure enough, we graduate never missed today. And I kind of, you know, I kind of felt bad for him because, like I think he didn't want it to be brought up all the time, but it was a rare thing, and you know, they wanted to brag on him. But like I think after a while he was like, all right, enough, like this doesn't make me look cool. I'm a puberty's hit. I'm a teenager now, Like this is not gonna help me with the ladies. They're not gonna, you know, move me up the power rankings of guys they're interested in because I never missed school. So I kind of felt bad for him. I mean, he doesn't wrong with what he did, but like it was always kind of thrown in our face, like if you could only be like this kid because he's never missed school. And then there was another kid who it was a she moved to our district, our area, not from around here. We're supposed to just believe that she never missed school the first nine years she was in publics. Come on, I mean, sure, all right, I don't believe her, still don't to this day. So you're telling me you have missed school for like a funeral or or something fun I want to do. Yeah, like, okay, well you got to miss school just because you want to go do something fun. Yeah, Usually it was.
Speaker 1: So there was a time back whenever I was probably middle school early high school, where my grandpa and I we would go up annually to either an IU baseball game and I you foot.
Speaker 2: I mean football games.
Speaker 1: Are on Saturdays, but basketball that's all the times that I get checked out early to travel up to Bloomington for the afternoon in the evening.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. That is awesome. Here you had me thinking, I am I insulted you because you were like one of those kids I was just talking about that literally never met like lived at the school.
Speaker 1: If they were they thinking about just in reference to being sick. So I had sick days as a kid, and it pains me to admit this. I can say this now because you know, I'm a grown adult and I think it's time to come clean mom.
Speaker 2: And she's not listening. My mom's in Florida, she's on she's on vacation. But I'm sure we'll get back to her because I know a lot of her, her her coworkers. Listen. I can tell you this, mom, and it's gonna feel good to get it off my chest. Seventy five percent at minimum of the time I stayed home from school sick, I wasn't really sick. Now, it wasn't that often because she was pretty like you know, oh you don't feel good, get up like you know she was she she was you know, she was a good she's a great mother. But you know she would if I was really sick, she'd know, she'd help me. But she had a good she had a good detector. You know what I'm saying, like, Oh, no, you're just tired. You were up last night, you know playing NBA Live that you're not sick. You're tired because you didn't go to bed when I told you to son, like see you know she could, so I oftentimes didn't try, but there were some times where I was able to, like here's what I would do, Like, wait a second, I don't feel sick, but man, I am losing my voice a little bit. I don't feel like I'm sick, but man, in the nose is a faucet, and I would just kind of, you know, I would kind of overdo it as far as all symptoms to where she would you know, I don't know if she ever really believed me, but there were times where she was like, all right, well he doesn't sound good, didn't look good by send him to school, and then I'm gonna look like a bad mom. So I'm just gonna keep him home. Did you ever hear of any tricks to like make you to make you be able to uh, to make you be able to like have a fever? Didn't have something to do with like putting ice or penny. So I never had you know what to try it because like if, I like if, mom, because nowadays it's all digital. Whenever I was in school and I was growing up and like your parents were checking your temperature, like you know, it was an older thermometer. I don't know if there was any digital capabilities to it, but like, you know, for some reason, I feel like it was red like with the you could read it with like that red line, you know what I mean, where you know, something like that. So I remember kids at school saying like if you put a penny under your tongue. It was a kid on the bus he would say that if you put a penny under your tongue and the thermometer, like the silver tip of it hits you know, it's underneath your tongue and it's on the penny, it'll it'll register every time at like one hundred points something like, nothing crazy high, but still you had a temperature. Yeah, And like I just believed him. Kid was kind of a bully, so he's probably you know, he's probably lying, just messing with us because we were he was two years older than us. But I always wondered did that work? And I thought about it a couple of times. I had a penny next to my nightstand when I was going to try to you know, fake sick, and I never had the stones to do it, because like if Mom saw I had some kind of you know device, some kind of a way to kind of, you know, manipulate the thermometer. One she'd be disappointed in me, and also you know, she might knock me upside the head. I mean, not really, but you know, it was different times back in the in the nineties, folks, I got spanked. It wasn't fun. I got spanked in the two thousands.
Speaker 3: Did you.
Speaker 2: I'm actually this not to take the conversation in a weird direction as we get the show started in a very unexpected, unusual way, or still getting like spanked.
Speaker 1: I think I think it's a lot more accepted than maybe people would make it out to be, because I do know there is a larger contingent of people who are against it, and.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm good. A lot of people are against things when it comes to parenting, that don't have kids, that aren't parents, that are never gonna be parents, don't want to be parents, and they're the most opinionated people on how how kids should be raised. Again, I feel strongly about this. I don't you know not to say you can't have an opinion, and you are beneath people who don't have me. Trust me, if you don't want to have kids, that's your choice, and I'm sure you've made that choice and feel great about it. It is not about like, hey, you don't have a kid, You're not really you never really had to go. But I don't think you can actually, Like here's what I'll say. You can't relate unless you have a kid. Doesn't mean you can't have an opinion, doesn't mean you can't you know, express your thoughts. Like I know people all the time who don't have kids that I talk to about my life as a parent and as a dad, and like I appreciate they're not insight, but like you know, I appreciate hearing what they have to say about things because I value them as as a human. But like that, nothing nothing irks me more. This is like one of the one of the things I got to add to the list of things that like I realize I'm getting worked up about and I'm like, okay, I'm getting old, Like this is it. I'm now becoming Like now, okay, I guess I'm conservative. Now I got you know, like you know, it's happening. So one of those things is people who are the most like the example, remember in the JCPS bus thing was a complete disaster, yeah, last year, comple I mean it was and it was absolutely a train wreck. It made national news, and you know, it was a scary, scary thought for somebody to not know where their kid was because they got on the wrong bus or the bus is still out and you know, their kids in fourth grade so they don't have a cell phone, that kind of stuff. But what really stood out to me is that some of the most nasty people towards JCPS, some of the most you know, loud mouthed idiots on Facebook, did not have kids, did not work in the school system, none of their it doesn't relate to them in any way. And yet they're the ones who were just the most opinionated on and about what needs to be done and about the kids and all that, and it just you know, those are things that you know, the irritate me. But when it comes to like disciplining kids, I mean, I'll I'll tell you straight up, like I'm gonna hold my kids accountable. I'm gonna make sure they know right from wrong as best I can. I don't want to be that soft dad, but like I don't think I would have the ability to actually, you know, spank a kid, spank my kid. I'm just taking any kids. I'm just saying, you know, cry around you cry with them. Oh yeah, yeah yeah, And I once and now that I know like that, that's what I would do, I'm like, let's just avoid that experience. All right, Let's get the show started. What a weird eleven and a half minutes to uh, you know, to lean in here, but here we are here, we are all right. We are gonna have one guest joining us today, coming up at four thirty. We'll talk. Actually, let me double check here. I believe it may not be four thirty. I may have just told you a lie. Kendrick Haskins. That's who's gonna be with us. You know him, you love him, You see him on Wave three. He's gonna be with us at four or five today. We'll talk with Kendrick. We do it each week, get his thoughts on the local teams. And I don't know I'm gonna have to. I mean, with Cowboys being you know, allegedly America's team, Kendrick's one of my biggest cowboy fan friends, and like I mean, they give Dak all the money and then of course they come out and get completely curb stomped at home and their home opener to Dallas. I'm sorry to New Orleans, so I may rip him a little bit on that, but also I just want to get his thoughts as far as what he expects to see in this first real test for louisvill against Georgia Tech coming up on Saturday. Kentucky, I mean, what's more likely none of us will know until we actually see results that have yet to come. But for those that just think this means Kentucky is you know, because the reality is this Kentucky football is probably a mixture between what you saw against Georgia and what you saw against South Carolina. And to be fair to them, just because I know they've got some pretty good personnel, I actually would say they're a closer team to what you saw against Georgia than to what you saw against South Carolina. But more than anything, it's because they were just so bad against South Carolina, probably the worst performance of Stoops's time there. And you know they're not They're not gonna be terrible. But for those that just think because they played Georgia really really close and probably you know, I mean head Stoops not punted it away on fourth down there. Who knows what would have happened. But let me remind you there are two teams that did exactly what you did to Georgia, exactly outplayed them, meaning Georgia in Georgia's first road SEC game of the season. All while Georgia is in the midst of this current dynasty that they're on, they are, I mean, I don't know if we can call it a dynasty. I mean, they've won two out of three and I mean again, had they been the team that got in the playoff, wouldn't have been a big head scratcher, although they did lose to Tobama in the in the SEC championship game. But like if Georgia would have made it all the way to the championship, if Georgia would have made the fourteen playoff last year, nobody would be surprised if they won it, and they'd be looking at potentially going to a four peat. So again, two teams have done exactly what Kentucky did on Saturday, out play Georgia while they're this great and then not be able to hold on and win. And I don't even know if it's fair or accurate to say that Georgia couldn't hold on or Kentucky couldn't hold on because they never really had control of the game. But it was neck and neck really from start definish. It was a very competitive game. And as I said yesterday, you take away everything you know about those teams prior to kickoff and you just watch which you just watch the game itself, you would say those are very comparable teams, even though we know they're not. But anyways, Auburn last year ended up doing the same thing they play they they I think, and I remember watching that game because I bet on it and I watched a good chunk of it. And when you got a team on the ropes like that, there's gonna be people tuning in because wow, is Number one about to go down? And by the way, that was the was that the most watched game of college football this past weekend? It was one of them. But anyways, last year Auburn played Georgia super competitive and ended up not being able to hold on, and it didn't mean that their season was then you know, turned around, because they realized, hey, if we bring it every night, we can play with anybody. They ended up having a losing record and again lost to New Mexico State a year before that. Missouri it was Auburn's. I'm sorry, not Auburn's. It was George's first road game in SEC action outplayed them, another game that I remember tuning in, not even because I wagered, because I'm like, wow, was this about to happen? That when a big upset's bruin, you know, maybe people are not watching a game and they're just on their phone, or maybe they're watching a different game. When you get to halftime, you come back from a commercial break, if there's a potential goliath about to go down, they're gonna let everybody know and people are going to tune in and watch. So that's why I remember both these games pretty vividly. But Missouri, they were at home and they outplayed them, only Tod not be able to hold on and win, and then they ended up having a losing season the rest of the way, ended up I think, finishing the season five and seven. So I don't know if Kentucky's gonna do that, But it is weird how George has been in been in that situation twice and again it's not just the fact that you almost beat Georgia and then didn't. It's early in the season, right. This has happened in each of each of the last three seasons. George's first road game in SEC play has been the exact same thing, and yet George just went on to be really really good. The teams that have done it up to this point, meaning challenge them, did not really carry that over to the rest of the season. Well, Kentucky do it. Who knows, maybe they will, because again, I actually think Kentucky has good players. I don't know how good their quarterback is, but if they can line up and run the ball against Georgia like they did the other night, I mean they should be able to have They should be able to do that against a lot of teams. So again, we'll talk to Kendrick coming up here at about four h five. I watched last night's Monday Night Football, and I mean it wasn't fun for me because you know, my my picks I put together with the underdog fantasy did not come through. But that's okay. Well, I mean I get right back at it come Thursday, and I'm gonna believe in the power of positivity and hope that I put something together that can they can cash because that's you know, that's what you want to do. But I didn't know if anybody else was observing the broadcast booth the way that I was. So Travis Kelcey, not Travis Kelsey, his brother Jason Kelsey. I oftentimes just like have to like, wait a second, I know there's two Kelsey's. Obviously I know who I know who Travis is, and like Jason Kelsey's a legendary player, is going to be in the Hall of Fame, has won Super Bowls like or a Super Bowl Like he's great, but like I only really know of him because of his brother, to be honest with you, but he was in the Monday Night football booth last night with Aikman and Buck, and like I was hoping they wouldn't I mean, I was really hoping that it wouldn't be awkward for those guys if they accidentally put that, like instead of showing the the action on the field, maybe maybe they go to a live shot of those guys in the booth, because I'm pretty sure Buck even eight minute times would have been caught on their knees in front of Kelsey, who they were just I mean, he's to me, he seems like a likable guy. He's the fat, funny guy that can take his shirt off in chug Beers and everybody says it's great and like he's just an offensive lineman being and all, like you know, he's really likable. But I'm seeing this. I'm like, dude, like there's a game going on. Like it's cool that he's now no longer a player and he's got this popular podcast, but like this isn't He's not doing a stand up routine. He's really not adding that much to the broadcast. Like can we just like, because again I thought about going to the Manning cast, didn't do that. I stuck with the original broadcast and watched it that way. But like it was just like they were just it reminds me of the Seinfeld episode for those who know Seinfeld, where George is just like enamored with Tony the mal bimbo and just thinks he's the coolest guy in the world and just got those big big eyes just staring at him, like you know, he's got a male crush, and I just that's that's the way Buckman or not Buckman, but uh but Aikman and Buck were we're treating Kelsey and he's looked. I think he's a little more likable than his brother. But either way, I mean, it just was annoying. And also the game sucked. It was not an entertaining game by any means. And if you're an Eagles fan, like I mean, that was terrible. I mean, you throw it on third down when Barkley has not been stopped at any point, He's had a really good day on the ground, and you just want to run clock and all you you throw it past to him on third down, He doesn't catch it, stops the clock, no timeouts left for Atlanta, and then they just had about as easy of a drive to put themselves in field goal range that I can remember in a situation like that. I mean they had. It was almost like they had time to spare. Kirk Cousins had not done much of anything that whole game, and then sure enough he steps up and gets him in field goal range, and they hold on, or that they find a way to I was gonna say hold on. They didn't hold on. They found a way to win, and you give them credit, but like everything that the Eagles needed to do to give that game away, they did exactly that. So that sucked, but hey, now we just have two days we got to get through and then we got football once again, and I am I'm looking forward to that. All right, some things we'll get into today. There's some anil stuff I want to discuss, and I don't want to, you know, nerd out on numbers too much. But Tennessee appears to be the first university that is letting their fans know, Hey, we're gonna have to start paying these players ourselves now, and we're gonna need you to pay ten percent. Talent fee is going to be added to ticket prices moving forward for Tennessee football. And there's a lot of reaction to this. Most of the reaction I've seen is, wow, they're so greedy. They have a billion dollar television deal in the SEC and you need me to help pay these players. And like, I get all that. I think that's a legitimate it's a legitimate point. However, college sports fans are suckers, and I'm one of them. Like, I love college sports. If you told me I had to pay five hundred dollars a year just to be able to watch my team play on TV, you know, I find a way to make it work. Financially, because like I it's something college is different than this is essentially pro sports. But again, like there's something about college sports and I guess the fans of college sports to where you'll pay whatever, like you'll do whatever. It's like it's part of you. And I guess you could say the same thing about certain fans of pro teams, because obviously pro teams have diehard fans as well. But like, I don't know, I just I get the reaction of these guys have some real nerve expecting us to already pay more money when they want us to also continue to donate to the NIL, but like they know, you'll do it, and if you want, somebody else will. So college sports around here, I mean we are a college market. Obviously we love the NFL, and I know there's plenty of pro sports fans around here too, But like when it comes to most fans of sports that have a team that they really have an emotional connection to, like in our market here, especially Louisville, I'd say ninety five percent of them, it's either Louisville or Kentucky, UFL, or UK, and it's you know, you're sad as hell when they lose, you're happy as hell when they win. And if you know they need support to pay players like you'll probably try to find it made a way to make it work as best you can, because because it's something that you care a lot about, that's very special to you. So I don't knock anybody who finds ways to donate that whatever money they can. And I don't really you know, like I don't. I don't really have a hard time dealing with universities who ask them to pay whenever like they know they will. So we can certainly get into that, and I've got a lot of things I want to get into today still, some recap from the overall weekend of college football, a look at some of the big games we've got coming up this weekend, and you know, some other nonsense. That's what we like to do every now and then on this show. Nonsense. It's not probably not a great way to describe a show that you want people to really enjoy and like get them to tune in. But you know, I'm just gonna be honest with you. There's a lot of nonsense that takes place here on this show, and to be honest with you, I wouldn't have it an either way, all right, stick with us. It is Coffee and Company. We're with you till six o'clock right here, and we are fuel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. We've got your game day coverage. On Saturday. The Louisville Football Pregame Show hosted by me will start at two thirty. It's the louis Football Pregame Show presented by Pellow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky in Jefferson Animal Hospital. So again two thirty. We'll go for an hour. Kickoffs at three thirty, and then as soon as the game comes to an end, we'll go live right here for the Louisville Football postgame Show presented by Alex R. White Lawyers. So Distracted Driver dot com. So we got you covered. I'm looking forward to it. I uh gonna be a busy day for me Saturday. I've got my son's football game in the morning, and then I'm gonna take the whole family to LNN Cardinals Stadium for some tailgating and uh, you know, enjoy hopefully what is a victory for Louisville. I won't be able to stay the entire time because you know, I've got postgame show, but uh, looking forward to it looks like the weather is going to cooperate, so that's good stuff. It also looks as if there's a lot of emphasis on this game for Georgia Tech. Brent Key had his press conference earlier today, and this is one of the quotes from that press conference, courtesy of Chad Bishop, who covers Georgia Tech for the Atlanta Journal Constitution, says, this is a champ This is a championship week. Every game moving forward, we talk about having goals in front of you and not being and not behind, and that's where we are. We're not leaving anything at home, I'll tell you that. So obviously they're already zero to one in conference play. I'm sorry, excuse me, one in one in conference play. They did have because they played them in Ireland. It felt weird. But they do have the win against Florida State, which, fortunately for Georgia Tech, doesn't really look like it has any value. Now. It's a conference win, so there's value in that. But beating Florida State is probably what many teams are gonna are gonna do this year. It seems so look, this this is a and there's no way for me to really if I just you know, unload and express why I'm so excited about this game. I know it sounds like I'm really overdoing it, and it might even sound like I'm forcing it, and I don't really want that to be the case. It's just this is a first test for Louisville and that that, to me is exciting because that's what I want, right. I don't want to I mean, I don't want to play games against Austin p and Jacksonville State. I don't want I don't want to buy week in September. But hey, that's what the scheduling folks gave us, and that's what we got to deal with. Also, some of it's Indiana's fault. I'm being honest with you. It's just the truth. Hey, we cashed in. How you screwed us?
Speaker 1: We're three and oh I'm saying Indiana cashed in. Well, we should have played you, That's true. That's what I'm saying, Like you all screwed us. We had There's not a scenario where I can I can see Louisville football on September twenty first, if any year that late into the year not having any remote test you know what I mean. Now, again, buy has nothing to do with Indiana because they don't have any control over that. But knowing that Indiana looks like a pretty good team, I would have loved to have had that game. But it's a shame because it would have been a way different type of not necessarily environment, but game that we would have seen it.
Speaker 2: And you guys have some momentum right now for sure, but if you had a knocked off louisll it would have given even more momentum. Yeah, that's true. And you know, we'll never know what would happen if these two people made into a college football playoff. I'm not going to get ahead of myself, but what if that? I like it. Hey, I didn't even tell John that's that's actually where I was about to go. Have you seen that the ESPN? Yeah, I mean, I know Bill Connelly, we mentioned him yesterday. It's a little bit of a it's a little bit of a a little bit of a stretch here with the headline from of course, Barstool Sports, it says ESPN is giving Indiana a twenty three point four percent chance to make the college football playoff higher than LSU, Clemson and Michigan. It's pretty nuts. So, I mean, twenty three percent is the FPI percentage. So and this is where ESPN needs to take the FPI out back and just put it down like old Yeller, because you have Bill Conley, who is a respected and like he's got his name on it. Like he he actually started working in from I understand, working in sports reporting at SB Nation and then ended up becoming like this analytical guru that like everybody wanted, I mean five thirty eight. Was that a site that ESPN used to have under their umbrella as far as like analytics. Either way, he ended up getting snatched up by ESPN and now like to get the full acts, to get full access of all of his data. His formula, the SP plus, is that what it's called. I believe John, Yes, yeah, you have to be an ESPN Plus subscriber, and I'm a subscriber for a variety of reasons. But you know, he's he's somebody that they should be propping up instead of that FPI. Like you can use his formula to determine the percentage chance of winning games, So it should be the SP plus percentage that they show on that graphic, because that's what they do. Anytime you have a game on ESPN and they're gonna do a look ahead to your remaining schedule, you're gonna see that percentage that's next to each game. What that is is the ESPN FPI formula. They'll give you the percentage chance you have of winning. And again it's been I mean, it's shoved in our face. It's ESPN, They're everywhere, but it's there's many examples that show that this thing is trash, and I actually think Bill Conley's is not. So. In fact, if you even, you know, let's say you wanted to, as an Indiana fan, say the hell with the FPI, you know you can still go with Bill Conley because he's got him what, winning nine games this year something along those lines. Yeah. All right, So this is not the exact stat that I was asking for yesterday, but thank you to the person who sent this son. On the text line, I asked what Jeff Brohms record was, what Jeff broms you know, history is coming off of bye weeks. I don't have any numbers as far as like, has he covered the spread each time he's put his team on the field coming off of a bye week. But by all accounts, again just looking at games that he's play or coached in after a bye week at Western and at Purdue and a Louisville last year in the one season, he's typically pretty damn good coming off of bye week. But this is courtesy of the best Wager Twitter account. Somebody sent this in on the text line, Brom is four and oh outright and two and two against the spread as a double digit favorite at Louisville. They are double digit favorites against against Georgia Tech on Saturday. Brom as a double edgit favorite at Purdue twelve and two outright, nine and five against the spread. So you know, Bram's statistic at statistics at Purdue are always going to be wild because again his overall record and great, but we know that didn't mean anything. The fact that he wanted any level at Purdue consistently is really is a sign as to how good of a coach he is. But him being three against top three opponents when unranked is a wild Like seems like you really had to like do a lot of like, you know, it seems like a cherry pick stat to just make somebody look good because it's not random, like, hey, what's your record as a head coach when you were unranked and you played top three teams, Like it just seems a little much, But then again, it doesn't make it any less impressive. You were unranked and you played three top three teams in that time and you beat all of them. Like that's insane, that's what he did. So yeah, I'm confident, you know I I knew this. I knew this would happen. John. The conversation yesterday really just my opening statement essentially about this game this week was Hey, this is a real test. I'm excited for it. I can't wait. I even had John play music all throughout the show that had some connection in the title of the chorus to a test, because it's the first test Loivels had, and I tried his best to not, you know, be too repetitive, but I didn't wanted to make it seem as if like they've got to pass the test to prove to me that they're any good. And sure enough, you know, people hear what they want to hear, and maybe I didn't do a good job of articulating the way I wanted to but like little bit, I think Lolve was a good team. Like, if they end up losing, it's not going to be a loss to where I sit back and say, wow, I guess they're not as good as we thought. Now again, you're only as good as your record. You're only as good as how well you perform on the field and how many wins you have in that column and how many losses you have in that column. But like, I think they're you know, I think they're better than Florida's like I or Georgia Tech. I think they they should, they should go in and win. I think it's I think it makes sense to see them favor the where they are, So my confidence level is high. Like I think we'll be doing a post game show on Saturday talking about a win for Jeff Brown and this team starting one to zero in league play and if they cover, who knows, maybe it maybe it's a good look and win to where people think, Wow, this Louisville team, they could be the real challenger to Miami, which everybody seems to think is going to be the ACC winner. And I think that's a fair thing to say because they look really good. So I'm confident but I'm also someone and that it's willing to tell you, like, we don't have a clue. They have not been tested in any way, and that's not their fault. That doesn't mean they're not good. It's just that's the way it is. So don't think I'm not confident because I am. Damn it, now you're getting me fired up. Sorry, I'll calm down. Are you guys want to be a part of the show today you can five oh two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number. If you want to give us a call. You can text in on the L and N Federal Credit Union text line five oh two six five three zero seven ninety. Appreciate all you guys who are regular Texters. I don't you know, I don't maybe maybe I don't tell you guys that as much as I should, but just know you are You are certainly appreciated. Also, I want to tell I want to tell you guys how much I appreciate the fine folks at the Jefferson Animal Hospital because they care about the community. They've been serving this community for over forty four years. And when I say serving this community, I mean taking care of your pets. Not only you know, just when it comes to getting your pets checked out, the regular checkups, vaccinations, blood work, that kind of stuff. They've also kept their doors open twenty four to seven in case of an emergency. And nobody plans for an emergency, but it happens. And I can tell you hand up mean this. I've never had an emergency with a pet. I hope I never do, but I might and I know if I do, I'm going to go to Jefferson Animal Hospital because I now know that they are open around the clock. They've got a doctor on staff and that's there every day, including Christmas anytime. So again, if you have an accident with yourself with the human, you know to call nine on one. Well, if you have an accident with your with your pet and you're really really concerning, you're worried, and it's never happened before, you know, you might have the instincts to call nine on one just because you know you don't know what to do. Well, I'm telling you what to do. That's to trust the folks at Jefferson Animal Hospital. Again, they're open twenty four hours. They're over there on outer loop. You can give them a call Fibo nine hundred Pets or visit Jefferson Vets dot com. So again, they're dedicated doctors and staff. They have your pets covered in the case of emergency. But it didn't have to be an emergency. I mean, I'm sure there are plenty of pet owners that just assume everything's aokay with their pets and they don't hear them, you know, expressing pain or you know, not acting like themselves. But it still makes a lot of sense to get them checked out regularly, and you should do that. A Jefferson in the hospital, so you can make an appointment by giving them a call again five two nine hundred pets or visit Jefferson Vets dot com. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along on a Tuesday. It's Tuesday, right, it is, it is, It's Tuesday. It's coffee and company. I know that, and I know we're feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety Pool in the Gang is such a vibe. Who could listen to this and not be in a better mood? No, you're dead right on that. I mean, just good vibes. This funk soul post disco era is it's a vibe like just let it ride, good stuff. It's also like, uh, it's the kind of music this song actually is a perfect example of what I'm what I'm about to do. Like this actually may be the song that does exactly what I'm about to say, which is like you can't help but like want to move and it just sits and dance. But it's also someone like myself, the quickest reminder that I'm not I can't dance cause like my body's trying, you know what I'm saying, Like it's just impossible not to to to to move and groove with this, but like I just know when I'm doing and I look uncomfortable and I probably look like I'm having some kind of a medical episode rather than actually any rhythm, no rhythm at all for me. Unfortunately, that's not something I always blessed with. All right, it's coffee and company. We appreciate you hanging out with us here on a Tuesday afternoon. As you know, we are fueled about Thornton's. If you didn't know, now you do, all right, So we got Kendrick Haskins coming up here at four or five we'll chat with him like we do each and every week, get his thoughts on the local teams, among among other things. But the nil conversation that uh, you know has been has been out there for I mean I say nil conversation. I mean, we know it's here, we know it matters, but I guess the confirmation or the conversation more so, is like should we be having to pay this as fans? Like, Am I a bad fan for thinking they're ridiculous for asking us for more money? And I mean it really is just your preference. And I see a lot of national capital j's out there, Dennis Dodd being one of them, Stuart Mandel that are sharing the salaries of these athletic directors, that are asking fans to, you know, to to pony up like Mark Stoops did last year. And you know, again it's I'm not trying to I don't have a strong opinion on it. But you know, if if you work for an entity that is, you know, the University of Whatever's athletic department, and that athletic department generates a lot of revenue and you are the one leading it, I mean you're gonna have a big old fat salary, Like, that's just that'st business, that's life. So it doesn't make me angry when I see these universities who are charging you an oremnalleg for season tickets that doesn't even include the donation you have to make, and then now they're asking you to pay the players. Like it doesn't do anything for me. Is I don't get worked up and think to myself, all who the hell they think they are? But anybody who does kind of have that mindset, like, I mean, I get it. I understand. So it was reported earlier today that Tennessee their athletic director has informed football season ticket holders that prices moving forward will include a minimum ten percent talent fee in twenty twenty five to help pay the players. Quote from the actual and for the release that was sent to student to season ticket holder says, we want to be the leader in revenue sharing, and you know, Tennessee seems to be in a really good place with nil and I think, look, Tennessee has been such a miserable fan base for so long, especially in football, that like, they'll pay, they'll they'll they'll find a way to make it work because they care about ut so much and they now know, and this is the truth. By the way, Tennessee is the perfect example of a program that if NIL didn't exist, they'd have to cheat to win, and they were doing it with the McDonald's bags of money with Jeremy Prue right, because they don't. You know, they don't. They have a big fan base, but you you couldn't monitor. Like monetizing your fan base didn't help you get players before NIL existed, Now it does. You got a ton of fans and a lot of money, like Louisville basketball. I think we'll be you and they already are. By the way, Pat Kelsey had a nice had a nice briefcase of money to use when he was building this roster because of NIL. Because we care, right, So I'm fat. I wish I had a stronger opinion on it, but I you know, I'll be honest with you, I really don't what.
Speaker 1: Would be the difference between them just not saying that this is going to be a ticket or a talent fee and then just increasing prices and not saying anything. I know it's not transparent, but without that, but that's saying that, then you don't have the fan.
Speaker 2: That's a really good question with it. It's a really good question because I think the image, the perception you're trying to create here is you want everybody to know we care about paying our players, and we're we're going to actually make our season ticket holders put up some money too, because you want you want the perception to be that you got bags of money to throw around right now. If this is really just a cause, again, the talent fee ten percent, I mean that probably wouldn't be there if, in fact, they weren't going to have to start paying twenty two million a year to athletes, you know what I'm saying. So yeah, you can say it's because you want to get your payers, play players paid, and a lot of people probably believe you, but really it's because you're now going to have to fill a bill you didn't have to you didn't have to pay. So I do think it's Tom Jorge was a great example. Tom Jurdge. It wasn't he wasn't using his own money when he was out here paying coaches insane salaries that other schools wouldn't. But Tom Jurdche one of the many things he did that was really impressive is that he established the reputation within his space of being an athletic director at a university that he will pay whatever. He's not going to lose a coach because of money. And even if you know it means the account runs low and you really got to scramble. That's a good that's a good part of your brand to be very out there that you will pay. You will find a way to make money. You're not going to go cheap. You'll pay. It matters when you want to go get coaches, and it certainly matters now whenever you got players that know, hey, I'm going to be I'm you know, I'm going to factor in a lot of things when I make this decision, and money's going to be one of them. So I once this settlement is approved, which it's likely going to be approved, schools would and then this is what I this is what I hate about how it's worded. Schools would be allowed to pay about twenty two million a year dad athletes beginning in the twenty twenty five to twenty six school year. Can we just get rid of the word alit? Like I guess legally they're not forced to do it, but you're either in or you're out, And I think you have to have your brand as an athletic department. If you want to compete at a high level and you want to win high you want to I mean, I don't know. I just I think right now it's it's it's a wait and see thing for a lot of these athletic departments as far as how they make it all work. But your itering out if you are not out there publicly letting it be known that you're gonna go to twenty two million a year because you care about paying players. I just think it's gonna be hard time for you to go get players, not to say you can't pay them anything at all. So I think the real divide where it's going to turn into one aspect of college sports is essentially absolutely pro sports, and the rest of it is kind of pro sports, but not to that level. Like I think, this settlement, when it's in place, is going to really create the divide more than any thing that's happened up to this point. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Kendrick Haskin's gonna join us from Way three Sports. It is Coffee and Company. We are feel about Thornton's right here on sports Talk seven ninety