Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez, Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services and Sure Your Most Prized Possessions kt z R two sad In iHeartRadio Station Goo.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, everybody. Welcome to Eye on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Jacob Zaus. Got a guy Ryan in today. Welcome to Tuesday. We've got a pretty good show slated for you, at least to think that, because we haven't had a full slate the last.
Speaker 3: Few days in a while. But you've got a couple of fun guys that we've had on the show before. Local media guys that you know are doing some of the stuff we're doing. We can get some thoughts from them, but these guys are fun. Damian Alameda from Channel thirteen kol Day will be joining us. He's the sports director there. He's always a good fun conversation. And then Brett Farra, the sports editor at there some daily Star. We'll talk to him about how they going to cover the Big twelve. You know, what's that going to be like for those guys?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know he's been busy he's been covering the Little League team, at least writing about that team. Yeah, from Wilcox. They're playing this afternoon, I guess.
Speaker 3: Okay, but uh, you know again a couple of good guys that uh, you know, they bring you the you know stuff as well as well as well as we do, and uh, you know, we'll see what they've got on their minds as we head into this season coming up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very busy, very busy for everybody locally as we start the new season here pretty soon.
Speaker 3: It is, right, it is busy. Uh, I'm big. I don't know by us. I'm busy as hell with you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah I am.
Speaker 3: It's you're you're, you're You're headed down the home stretch with uh tour a little bit right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, well we started a lot of stuff next month with the with the loop the loop, and then uh and then two months later it's it is uh and then with your busin Tucson stuff and then you know, a lot of little things going on and just kind of complete the one thing, right, Yeah, all these little things completed one thing. So yeah, yeah, busy, but it's good busy. It beats the alternative, Yes exactly. I'd rather yeah, busy, rather be that didn't wondering, Jay, you have anything for me? You do anything today?
Speaker 3: I mean not saying here trying to squeeze in a whole bunch of you know, interviews for this stuff I've got to do, and it's like I'm running out of time, you know, I know.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's uh, it is like I said, it beats you al sortive. So here we are good. So we have those two guys on tomorrow. You're not gonna be here on Friday.
Speaker 3: Will not be here on Friday. So I'm trying to get a film more more, call it kid duty, call it whatever you want. But I've got, you know, trying to get a father of the year points. That's no, I'm not trying to get father at your points. I'm just trying to be a father, that's all. And survive it. Got to go to San Diego and help my daughter find a an apartment. She's gotten a job at San Diego State. She's an ASTech.
Speaker 2: Nice exciting, great place, great place, siting for in fact, our girl, our girl d is there this summer.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, working for Delmore, working at del Mar.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's she's becoming this uh nice uf uh TV girl candle on TV for her. Yeah, so that's great, that's great. And I don't know about the other guys. You know, some of the other guys that are down there, ye Ryan, our girl what's your name? Analise atleast is doing some stuff in l A. I think for Fox. So so they're out there doing some good stuff. Okay, So today we're gonna talk about whatever you guys want to talk about calling us in uh, we'll talk what else? The football? Football? I didn't see what went on today.
Speaker 3: I you know, I haven't even looked at one thing related there on a football today.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I went to the dentist and my face was all.
Speaker 3: And I had I had a doctor appointment where they told me, okay, you need to drop some weight.
Speaker 2: But they've told you that every thought you were doing.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm I'm better. I don't need to drop as much weight as they told me the last time because I get some of those Look, it's the standards, you need to drop ten pounds. And I'm like, okay, you know, what does this happen to you? This is done?
Speaker 2: Okay, there's a scale in our in our.
Speaker 3: Bathroom, and I usually weigh myself, not always, but a lot of times the womens are gonna get out of the shower when I'm just you know, yeah, no towel, no closure. I put on five pounds from Saturday to yesterday.
Speaker 2: Did you do it all at the same time in the mornings. Yeah, yeah, okay, I usually usually well, no, I take about okay.
Speaker 3: I waived myself uh uh Saturday afternoon after I got home from golf, and then I weighed myself yesterday morning, and I was I put on five pounds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So you waited so after golf so that you walked a lot, you probably sweated some water weight, YadA, YadA, and then you had a Tamulian boom. I meet loaf. So what's your question to me? Does that happen to me?
Speaker 3: Do you do you?
Speaker 2: Does your weight fluctuate that much just a few days?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just a day or too. Yeah. Yeah, but that's why I.
Speaker 2: Do it in the morning. Do it the morning, the same time, same time. I don't do that because it's consistent with because you lose weight over overnight, right, I don't know how much you just.
Speaker 3: Do five pounds is a lot.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it seem like five pounds? But the five pound meat loaf that you had me.
Speaker 3: Corn on, the cop potato smothered and butter without a visit to the rest, and then the snicker bar that I just had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, So your doctor obviously didn't stay away from stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Well he see, he made he made the fatal mistake of saying you're doing pretty good. Oh yeah, I took that equity to the h tea over there, got myself a snicker bar. But he did get a nice tea instead of a fantom, a nice tea with so sweeter. No, no, that's unsweet tea.
Speaker 2: So instead of one cheat day, you get two. No, I'm the same way. You know, take men and it might be taco Tuesday to night at my house. Six with five pounds went to six pounds. Yeah, but I think that everybody goes through that, you know, unless you're walking in I don't think you walk. I don't think you do.
Speaker 3: I haven't. I haven't since the weekend because after moving my daughter, everything was sore for three days. Today is the first day that I haven't been really sore from the move. On set Friday, Did you do it before you move to your daughter. What what Yeah, I walked through three times a week from your car. No, like like walk walk, okay, like I don't know how far it is, but you know it's a walk. You know, it's a I still haven't got on the bike though. My bike is still you're going to be. I'm sure the tires are flat. You're going to be.
Speaker 2: And there's only ninety five to one.
Speaker 3: Hundred days left, I know, but it's also one hundred and five degrees. I you know, I left the house at six o'clock this morning for this breakfast meeting that it.
Speaker 2: Was already hot.
Speaker 3: I'm really hot, not like I mean, there was no crispness to us whatsoever.
Speaker 2: You know, I didn't realize Phoenix got tow one hundred and sixteen just last weekend or something like that. I told you my story about moving there right when I was a kid, so from Santa Fe, obviously a small town kid going to go to school issue enroll. One day, Friday night, I was out there with my with my people who took me, and the bank said, you know when the banks had.
Speaker 3: Temperatures yeah, oh yeah yeah, and it said like one.
Speaker 2: Hundred and ten o'clock, and I think that's physically impossible. That's physically impossible. I want the hell do I know? I'm a kid from the mountains of New Mexico. And it was and it was like yesterday it happened. I said, no, it's not it's not physically possible. I deal with it now every day I think, how in the world does that happen? One hundred and ten? It is ten o'clock, especially Phoenix because it's all concrete jungle here not so much, but still one hundred would you say hundred at seven?
Speaker 3: Well, I looked at my watch and it was I think it was mid mid to high nineties, but it was muggy, like muggy muggy.
Speaker 2: Well today you sell the temperature things on Facebook, some people posting that was gonna be tornadoes and stuff, and the fake news things people posting yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, okay, Well we wasted the ten minutes, thank you very much. Yeah. So we'll talk about a lot of things going on in the city through TV's eyes and the paper's eyes. Right our eyes obviously, And like I said, you didn't pay attention to football.
Speaker 3: Watched a lot of today the last couple of days.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, did you did you watch the high jumper?
Speaker 3: Yesterday? I missed the high jump.
Speaker 2: That was pretty exciting.
Speaker 3: But today I watched the women's two hundred meters final US Gabby Thomas. Gabby Thomas won that by a lot. She smoked. And watched some of the USA basketball. They were when I left out there beating the hell out of Brazil. I was watching the gold medal game. Now in the gold medal game, I watched the women's soccer. Who's got no? The men were in the quarterfinals. Basketball is in the quarter final. Women women women are in the gold medal game. They beat Germany. When I when I watched, uh, when I watched that reply replying. When I watched that, it was row zero and then I went to the doctor and I came back and they one zero. And so what else did I see? Oh? The fifteen hundred meters did you see that? Upset? What a race? I mean that guy uh, I can't remember his name, Oscar or something like that hawker he was it looked like he was coming back. Then he got he got screened out, he got blocked out on you know, on the on the on the straightway. But you know on on the inside and then the guy makes a mistake and just drifted out a little bit and gave him room to get by him, and he got by him and won the race. And actually, the way I understood, one of the favorites didn't even meddle. The guy who was didn't even medal. He finished fourth. Everybody passed him, and the US one golden bronze in that one. So a lot of good stuff. That's the track. The track and field finals are what I love. What you know, those are the best. That hundred meters race.
Speaker 2: It's like the one I think it was the four hundred, was the four forty forty or the No. Four hundred, whichever it was with Netherlands one there with the girl bowl bo l coming back and beating the American uh, the United States personnel two three days ago, just that she came out of nowhere. Yeah, yeah, that was pretty exciting. Yeah, pretty excited. So uh and then the finding the gymnastics is over right, Yes, I felt bad for the for the woman from I can't don't remember where she's from, but she was she had bronze. And then they they readjusted the scores and the US got the bronze.
Speaker 3: Right, that's got it suck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you know you've done it for them. And then also no, I didn't.
Speaker 3: Know, I didn't. Yeah, and you're gonna always wonder, wait, what happened? Yeah, you know, right, what happened? They hope there's a good explanation that allows her to you know, understand what happened and why and why.
Speaker 2: And the boxer continues to roll uh a leaf for something like that. Yeah, she continues to win this this, this the well, I guess every every Olympics has it's controversies, right, that's why obviously one of the bigger ones. Yeah, and some of the other scores and points of the team team USA basketball, if they don't.
Speaker 3: Win it, yeah, well they're killing people now, right, it's kind of like, okay, it's time to get serious. And they just living douchie out of right out of Brazil today. Yeah, they're in the semifinals now, semifinals. Oh again. This morning, when I was getting ready for my breakfast meeting, I've got the and so we're talking five thirty this morning. I've got the Serbia, France, Serbia, France, uh no, Serbia, Australia, Serbia, Australia game on basketball. Yeah, looking for Josh Green. You know I didn't see ever in the game. He must have played, because I even looked, said, wait a minute, is he on the roster and he's on the RUSI but and I watched Australia going to twenty to nothing run they're up by twenty four, and I left and I come back and Serbia beat him by five.
Speaker 2: Well it's good of look at nbagain. Hahing matters into the fourth court.
Speaker 3: I guess not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't see that. Well, I guess we'll see it tonight or a little today. No, they don't play. They don't play. They just us say stuff in Channel four. Yeah you might.
Speaker 3: You might be able to see that on Peacock if you want to. But uh, you know, uh it was it was. It was one point game. Uh y makes a turnaround jumper to go up three and then they go down. Don'tet a shot, make a couple of free throws versus Yeah, oh that that Are they in the same bracket?
Speaker 2: Well isn't I thought you said this is the gold medal?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, the each other today with quarterfinals games.
Speaker 2: Okay, so semi finals. So yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: Then of course Germany the other the other one okay, And of course I know you want to know this that the Dodgers beat the Phillies last night.
Speaker 2: No until Phillies going to until Phillies go to. Uh they're going to Phoenix this weekend?
Speaker 3: I think, are they? Yeah? You know, okay, why that makes sense if they're you're playing the Dodgers. But the Philly smoked them in three games up in Philadelphia. Uh uh, I think right after the All Star Breaking, I'm like, I don't want to I don't even want to see this. I turned it on. They're down to zip and I'm like, I know, I don't want to see this, but I left it on and they came back and beat him.
Speaker 2: Bill, that was your daily. There you go, Bill, Daily Dodger updates. Get the Voodoo Doll back out because the Dodgers are back. Send send Jay you know not me completes. Go to the book.
Speaker 3: And after taking two out of three from the A's again, they lost the first game to the A's. Then they won the next year. So Dodgers are on a roll. They went three in a row.
Speaker 2: Didn't do we take all your breaking news? No, no, okay, because I go, uh, the Chicago White Sox didn't. Yeah, twenty three one, I'll go yeah, okay, so yeah, you'll tell us they've lost twenty one in a row.
Speaker 3: Oh. Never, that's hard to do it. Wow, there's another part to it.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, cool, okay, Hey, listen, let's take the break and we'll get to Damien here. He's gonna call it three seventeen and we're good to go.
Speaker 3: All right, let's go.
Speaker 4: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsyisles of instock cabinets, available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style, and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato rock materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock he found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 5: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 6: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 3: Leading edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 6: On twenty seconds this quest of Wilmot.
Speaker 7: It's a ward season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your company's giveaways. Keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and can apps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit their Creative Awards Idea center at two twenty eight West Drackman Street or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 8: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six one eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A BKO Ninez two nine four two. Equal Housing Opportunity now to commitment to Lindrix Syncredit. Rates and available loan programs are subject to change with un notice.
Speaker 5: Did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantle SO for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie SO for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's Showtime Cards.
Speaker 9: Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars Saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member.
Speaker 10: And you could win big. Watch your savings grow to help.
Speaker 9: You reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today.
Speaker 10: That really insured and CUA guid bugs, termites, viz or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. That's can't run or hide from Arizona pest control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of that's elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Past Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypast dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Extreamly live. I mean, iHeartRadio Act. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jacob Salez my Fox Sports fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to win the ball here Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. I'm Steve Rivera.
Speaker 3: He's Jacob Sauce.
Speaker 2: Now on the phone, we have Damian Alamina from Kold.
Speaker 3: TV Sports.
Speaker 11: After that tactic, I need that introduction every time every time.
Speaker 2: Okay, you all right? Your anything you want me to be positive about, just let me know.
Speaker 11: Okay, yeah, yet guess like extendose extend those consonants, kod I like that.
Speaker 3: D Yes, How busy are you? Are you?
Speaker 2: How busy are you? Because everything's going to ramp up?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 11: We know what right now? I'm pretty I'm pretty swamp. I'm pretty swamp, which was okay because you know, you guys know how to is like July is the quiet dead period, or at least for me, it is anyway where you got to like try to, i don't know, take a breath, regain focus, and then get mentally prepared for August when training camp kicks in, which of course I am never ever ever mentally ready for. It just kind of happens, and you just kind to throw yourself into the fire every single year and just kind of roll with it.
Speaker 3: You know, well that fire now is burning in the Big twelve? Damien, how much extra preparation research work is involved for you to you know, get ready to cover the Big twelve? Learning about the teams that the all the programs, right, I mean, because we have some familiarity with them, but now we're knee deep in it with them.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, it's it's basically going back to the classroom, right because for so many years, and as I've mentioned before on the show, you know, I'm a PAC twelve kid through and through, and just knowing the history and the relevance and just you're just the simple locations of each program with something I took for granted, and so now, like I said, yeah, going back to the classroom and figuring out just the outlay of the Big twelve in this conference and uh and why we should care. I will say this though, on the first day of fall camp for the Wildcats, when I showed up and saw the Big twelve logo on the signage that is up against the fence on the tell Me practice fields, I had to stop, do a double take, take a real deep breath, and then just keep myself going.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'm assuming, I'm assuming. I don't know the situation that CA will do right now, but I'm assuming you took your vacation July, your family and travel and all that stuff, and now you're back at it. Uh. I know you're gonna be big. Are you still a one man band?
Speaker 3: Are you?
Speaker 2: How's that working?
Speaker 11: Yeah? No, No, it's it's me myself and I on on certain days depending on what is going on in the news cycle. Sean Mahoney, who is our weekend news anchor and then our typical weekday news reporter. He also uh does sports reporting on the side for us when when I have an opportunity to or actually when the when the bosses basically have that door open for him. He's going to take it. But for the most part, it's still me myself and I so trying to balance everything out. But hey, I mean, and again I've said this to you guys before too, It's like, I don't mind it because I've I'm at the point now where I just do what I can do and balance as best I can not feel too guilty about missing things that I just have to miss.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? Yeah, okay, sort of on that note, are you Are you the dean of the local sports directors who who's been here longer? You were? Jason Barr?
Speaker 11: Yeah, a lot since July July third was my eighteenth year.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, eighteen years Damien. You're like, OK, you're only like twenty five years old.
Speaker 11: I make it look good, don't I?
Speaker 3: He do you really do? That's exactly what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I was. I was giving a grief to one of our internship, Ryan because he eats like a horse and he's like a stick figure. Guess who guess who don't? Yeah, you can eat you know, fight porst meals and he's look at him, he's like twenty.
Speaker 11: Wait wait, wait, I'm gonna I'm gonna pump the bricks on that for a second. I'll be honest with you guys, all right, So like sheer fans barrency, huh. After this past March madness, when I got home from the Salt Lake City, Los Angeles road trip, I checked myself out and I was like doing some calculations in my head looking at the scale. Stuff is like, all of a sudden, it all hit me all at once that I am no longer in my late twenties, like all of the and you guys know how did man like action ends, especially on the West Coast. Like super late at night, you're starving, but all that's left on the on the tables inside the arena are like bananas, But you eat all the bananas you can. And then when you get back to the hotel, depending on the time you go hit that Denny's actually have the pancakes. You get the Rudy too, d fresh recruity two times over. You know, two in the morning. You're not feeling great the next morning, but that's okay, you got to go to work. You just deal with it. Yeah, all of that caught up with me late March early April and now I'm regretting some of my life decisions.
Speaker 3: That's too funny.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, sure, and then you would and worked for a walk and you lost it all.
Speaker 3: Exactly, if only exactly. We're talking to Damien Alameda from kl D k wel D. There you go, Amy, Hey, Okay, so going into the Big twelve, what's I don't know, I don't want to call it the biggest challenge, but you know what's most on your mind about what you've got to do to cover this conference that we really are just starting to get familiar with them. Well, what's most you know, kind of on your priority, I guess for how you want to bring this to your viewers.
Speaker 11: Homework through my homework and making it clear that I have some sort of semblance of what I knowledge and then what I know what I'm talking about, because right now I'm like at like step negative six, right like and this goes back to like even just the simplicity of knowing where schools are on a map. Right now, I could not tell you where Manhattan, Kansas is. I know where Kansas is, right I couldn't tell you where Manhattan, Kansas is? You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 11: So it's just like those little details right there that back in March two we did a when we did a special for men's basketball, actually men's and women's basketball heading into their respective tournaments. We did do a piece on the expansion into the back Big twelve, and we're able to speak to a handful of sports directors in those markets to kind of give us a sense of what, you know, Wildcat fans can expect going there, and so that was really cool, very very interesting to hear and if nothing else, to hear their excitements knowing that a reputable brand like the Arizona Wildcat was entering their frey and how much anticipation there was for the Cardinal and Navy to make trips to you know, their home turf. So that was really cool to hear and to see.
Speaker 2: I think one of the things that we're excited about is the difference. Now it's a new thing, and you like driving a new car, right, you get to see new things, talk about new places, players, all that stuff. I'm sure you're in the same way where Okay, we're gonna miss the Pac twelve, but.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, I mean that's that's the biggest thing. It's like, because I don't have history with these programs, and this conference doesn't mean that I don't. I'm not excited about figuring out what the future holds in this con you know what I mean. Like I saw on Friday when Arizona Athletics started tweeting out all of those messages from past athletes welcoming them former Wildcats, you know, Loreno, Chola, Francona, all these folks saying, hey, we're excited for you going in to the Big twelve. Yeah, there is some excitement there. I just have to get out of my own head, you know what I mean. Like I am and this is this is gonna like dating big time, But I am like John Wayne and the searchers standing in that doorway, like refusing to move forward as the rest of the world like passes me by. So I got to get myself out of that right and and like get into this this new group here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. Well, and that's what we've talked about a little bit, Like Okay, well, we all love the PAC twelve and the history of it and all that kind of stuff. It's kind of okay, it's in the rear view mirror, right, Let's you know, let let's move on. I mean, you know, uh, we've got to stop talking about what was and just you know, just go forward. I think it's gonna be fun. I hope that. I hope the newness of it lasts for a while, right, it'll last. It'll take us through through basketball season, for sure, but then after that it's kind of like, okay, let's see unless you see what happens from here. Let's you know, let's talk as of football. What you know, what are you seeing out there? What do you what are some of your impressions of what you've seen so far?
Speaker 11: I mean, it's it's fun. It's fun getting out there to camp. There's an energy that I'm not saying was missing from last season Underfish, but Brent Brennan's regime has has has definitely sunk its teeth into the identity of this program. Everything from like the music selections, the variety of music selections on their loud speakers, and just how they all interact with one another. You know, that whole sense of love and family that Brennan preached over and over ever since day one, since he's been here in the desert.
Speaker 3: There is.
Speaker 11: A sincerity to that that you really do feel out at camp As far as observations of the team, you know, we're we're going into it with question marks across the board, but at very specific position is the defensive line, defensive ends? Who are the big boys are going to step up and uh make a name for themselves? At wide receiver? You know you have t Mac obviously still rehabbing, but who are you know, Montana Malachi? Are they the guys that are going to be your dependables?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 11: When you know Themack gets tripple covered? No, Freda's got that ship locked down. But who's going to back him up if in case anything happens? So it's all pretty much your normal fall camp training camp questions. Just the elephant in the room is how does it all fall in line with Brent Brandon's vision?
Speaker 3: Right? Right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: No question?
Speaker 3: Are you what if?
Speaker 2: And this is hypothetical because I don't know anything any better? Uh with t Mac? Uh what if he takes longer than you think? What does that mean to the team?
Speaker 11: That's that's that's a kick in the gut for sure. And I was actually just talking about this with Sean last week. It's like, you know, you got a kid, how many how many times have we heard coaches say you can't coach size one, right, and then you take that size and multiply it by infinity. With the ability that he has if he does take longer then anticipated come back from this fake injury, who can come close to even replicating just his mere presence on the field, right, That has yet to be seen, which is where all of the you know, the six foot two, the five foot ten's Jeremiah Patterson, a kid whose name you're probably going to be hearing quite a bit about come come this fall as a potential you know, Jacob Cowing replacement. Maybe all of these different names in a room that is pretty loaded with decent and really good talent are going to start surfacing up. It's just that you can't, like, let's let's admit it here, came back to.
Speaker 2: A unicorn y.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly know that and that yeah, and that's the thing and he you know, and you can say the same thing about Nola fa Fida. I mean, you know, he's just there's just there's something different about him that that you know, we got to see last year. And then you wonder, okay, and shouldn't he be better than that? You know, this coming year. And as you said, you know Steve who's always looking for something bad to talk about. It's like, what happens without Nola Flafida?
Speaker 11: So do you know what I was? I was having that same conversation too, what happened? How big of a drop off is that if Noah goes down? Never mind never mind the ability because obviously the ability's there, Imagine what they lose in terms of sheer presence, right because remember you guys like Fida is a red shirt sophomore. He had his you know, red shirt freshman year, his first year in the program, so when he took over for Dolora, it's not like he was completely unknown. He already had had a full season to get his name in the mix and more importantly, get his leadership quality established, so that when it was his time to take over, there was no question who the leader was in that huddle, right right, that's not the case anymore. Yeah, No, it goes down, you know, Yeah, transfers and you got freshman like it'll be interesting to see the chess moves there.
Speaker 2: So tell Jay, it's not just me thinking about this, because that's a possibility.
Speaker 3: It could happen, whether it happens. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: You know, we're checking all our boxes.
Speaker 11: I mean, and that's the way you got to have to play it, right, I guarantee you that's the way the coaches are playing it.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 11: Sure they got to make the game every day.
Speaker 3: Right, they got to make sure somebody else is ready and there, you know, and that's that's a that's all a part of it defensively. So I'm trying to think eighteen years so as it was. I don't think a Keena then was here? Is that the time you've been? But what what do you think of in there?
Speaker 11: Uh middle of and then took back off my my first year here was u Antoine Casons last year perspective.
Speaker 3: So just your thoughts on him out there on the field.
Speaker 11: I want, like again dating myself with the Winne Harry Mitts Valley reference, but I want to have whatever he happened, like in terms of the energy level that he brings to the field day in and day out, whatever diet he is on, right, whatever supplements he is taking. I need I need to have to ask him about that, because there's something to that man that that guy, that guy could outlast me my hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what I think, that's what makes him special. One and two of the kids want to play for him.
Speaker 11: Yeah, absolutely. I mean the mere fact that you know that defensive secondary what four out of five so loyal and stay with him and stuck with him. Uh, that that's says a lot about the kind of guy he is and if nothing else, how he can relate to his players right.
Speaker 2: Real quick too, because we talked about this last week and I'm sorry to go negative with you, Jake, but Raymond Palito, the impact of that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's big literally exeguratively right, and you know Againcy right now, they're they're keeping the light lips very tight as far as what that situation is, right, but he will not playing the season if ever again for the Carloan Navy. Who knows but Rhino. They're leaving the rep shirt freshman. Uh, big big boy who again you cannot coach size who. A lot of folks in and around and away from the program are very excited at the potential he's got at that left tackle spot. We'll see what kind of drop off there is there, but I mean, yeah, time will tell pretty much.
Speaker 3: The bottom line, We're gonna have fun this year and Damien, you know, whatever happens, I mean, unless it's just completely go south. But I think there's gonna be a fun football season for a lot of reasons, right, not just the fact that Arizona might be good, but but for the fact that it's all brand new and lots of stuff and teams coming in that we don't ever see and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 11: And mostly because Arizona might be.
Speaker 3: Good, and mostly because the zone might be good.
Speaker 11: And I'll say it right now, like the Big twelve thing, the changing the conferences, will fully think, and the moments, at least for football, the moments that ball is kicked off, you know. Yeah, I was gonna say, kid to stay, but technically at home against Tech Tech and uh then we'll get the ball rolling for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, awesome, Damian.
Speaker 2: As usual, thank you very much for keeping contact.
Speaker 11: Always see Thank you guys, Jack appreciate it.
Speaker 3: They have a double burger on me.
Speaker 11: Done and done.
Speaker 3: David.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good dude that like me like a lot. And you know what he's not. He's not your typical TV guy and you can take that whatever that means. He's just a normal dude who does that job.
Speaker 3: Who does Yeah, who does TV. Yeah, but again he's still done. Looks like he's about twenty five years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, skinny, little business.
Speaker 3: All right, Okay, that was fine.
Speaker 2: Whose doctor doesn't televison go drop someway day.
Speaker 3: Have a bury? Good? Nobody does.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's like like, like my boy, Ryan, here's growing boy.
Speaker 3: Ok I hear you brought it the other day, Ryan, you did? All right? Okay, I guess we take a break. We're gonna come back. We'd love to take your cause. Five to two zero, four, one, six, seventy four forty.
Speaker 2: If you're an Arizona man's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Lute. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Luton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 12: Hi, this is formal while get leman huntly with Arizona Health, imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space and your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freewate equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training.
Speaker 3: To get you started to keep you going.
Speaker 12: Visit our shure room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 7: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu Slash someday.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the exes at Oh, it's Steve Leavera and Jagin Salax. This is I on the Bark on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Winying the Ball. You're a Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve. He's Jay. You got a guy Ryan with us today. Get fifteen minutes in this next hour if you want to call us to Zuo five to two oh four one six seventy four forty. I'm curious, maybe a caller or two could call us. Where do they get their news get their news? We have Brett Farah coming in. Did you I didn't doing the story for business Son on the Game the Woman. How people get their news, it's not the newspapers, but it's like the bottom people get their news from wherever they want to get their news right right, or from.
Speaker 3: People that they feel like they can trust or agree with them.
Speaker 2: True, And in this situation, it's it's the local TVs, you know, KD kV way. But I was surprised. Just and we used to be in the business, right right we we we grew up wanting to be in the business.
Speaker 3: Well, I you know, I mean, I don't know what you do. I follow all those guys, you know, followed Jason Barr, I followed Damien I follow uh what's channel four? Yeah? What can I think of her name?
Speaker 2: Because she's been on the show.
Speaker 3: I'm so madam, I'm sorry, but you know I followed you know, Brett Fair, I followed Justin, I followed lev you know, all these all these guys, but also getting used from you know, I follow all the you know, there's certain national guys that I follow. I feel like they're reputable, they're actually journalists. But you know, we've follow the guys like you know, we follow Brian Peterson and and and uh and uh, Troy Hutchison, Jason Sheer have all those guys. We get our you know, we get our news from all over the place, and then you kind of compile it and you feel like, okay, you know, I feel like I know, you know, I like I follow the airs one Daily Star. You know, sometimes I get too much stuff because I get all the car wrecks and all those kinds of things. But you know that that's what people do. And but like a newspaper is just a piece of it. I don't read there's a Daily Star every day anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, In fact, I was at the doctor s, like I said, they have the doctor get it every day, and I had it.
Speaker 3: It was on the counter.
Speaker 2: I read it. It's not it's totally different, obviously, right, because it's we get it instantaneously and have for twenty years now, and then you get it and you if you will already know this, all right, and we'll already know this.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I already know this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I still have my I still have my ritual. You know, I don't need breakfast every day, but eat breakfast on Sundays, all right, So that's what you get the paper. And on Sunday, you know, I pull out my iPad, I get the the electronic version of the newspaper, so not the links, but just the actual newspaper what they deliver, and I get that on my iPad. I sit there with my my eggs and treatise or whatever, and I and I read the paper. But I'm like you, I find that I've read so much of that already. You're on the course of the day, you know, I look for Hanson's column, like even if I see the link come up for Hanson's column on Sunday night or Saturday night, which it often does. I won't read it on Saturday because that's part of my Sunday ritual to read Greg Hanson's column, to read the sports page and the features that they have on a Sunday when I'm having breakfast. But a lot of the news I've read that news, I've seen it.
Speaker 2: Do you I said this before because I was shocked, But do you when you pay for the Daily Star online? If you watch it, you pay for that subscription? Yeah, whatsurprice? He thinks like twenty bucks a month? That's yeah, that's okay. When I went to a Sunday paper is like five six plucks.
Speaker 3: Well that's to get the actual newspaper, right, I don't get Yeah, I don't get the hard copy newspaper. I was even on Sunday.
Speaker 2: I almost fell down. I'm thinking, well, tell yeah, having a bottle paper.
Speaker 3: I held the newspaper in my hand for the first time and probably two years when I was getting my car worked on it at a Jack Furriers, uh you know, and there was the newspapers in there. I hadn't held the newspaper in my hand and how long, I don't think.
Speaker 2: Kids, when was the last time you held the newspaper. No, no, And that's why I wanted to thanks for answering the question, because it's exactly what I'm saying. Any buddy under thirty five.
Speaker 3: Right, no, Right, you get your news from wherever you choose to get.
Speaker 2: Your people our age. Do what you do on Sundays, right, get up in the morning. They hold it, they feel it, they you know, want to see it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like like I'll you know, I've taken a walk around my neighborhood early in the morning, right, it needs to be you walk your neighborhood in the morning paper and there were more houses that had a newspaper than didn't. Now you see one, two, maybe three newspapers in the whole neighborhood, right, that are thrown on the driveway, And that's what it's. But you know, like I said, I don't get it anymore. Uh, you know, I just I read it on my iPad. You know, I see all the coupons and all that.
Speaker 2: But you're an aberration too. You're an aboration I am, I think I am because you're sixty. You're over sixty, and you would get it on the right.
Speaker 3: I want to see the actual newspaper, not only that I'm over six, you know, a lifelong journalist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's what makes you you. You don't get it physically right, which is surprising. Yeah, but you still get the news. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Just sorry that but no, it's an interesting question because it tells us where we are with you know, with with with gathering the news, with you know, with people get the news. And because we have Brett, I mean you mentioned, you mentioned we're gonna have Brett Faarroff and he's covering Litle League baseball or Lily League, soofotball.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Sports editors didn't used to write, or maybe they'd write a column a month or something like that just to just to be able to say something because they wanted to say something. But now you know sports editors are they're they're writers as well.
Speaker 2: Well they have because the staff is so because the staff is so small, yeah, and everybody's busy doing their own things. Yeah. Now' it's an interesting we just ask him, you know, his thoughts on that, because uh, they're trying to keep the readers that they have right and try to get new ones.
Speaker 3: And trying to right more and they have to do things in all kinds.
Speaker 2: Of different way the paper might. The citizens been gone fifteen years. You were impacted on it. I was impacted on it. And uh, you know, just trying to skin a new cat, right, trying to figure out how to keep things rolling. And and then and the business is not getting any better.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, And no.
Speaker 2: Fault of the journal has been Uh it's the plight of the advertising plate, of the sales all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, I I yeah, I mean it's it's a it's a weird thing that where we've come to with all of this. But uh, you know, I I'm still interested in the news though, you know, and I'll watch, you know, I'll watch Damian, I'll watch uh you know, Jason Barr and in her you got to look up her name. Come on, let's go, right, go get go get her name. Uh. This is so bad. It feels so terrible about this. But you know, I because I want to know what are they talking about? Right And you know, I find because I think I watched them not so much to get my news from them, but like what's the conversation right now? It has more to do with that, you know, you know, what are they talking about out there? What do our listeners want us to talk about you know, what are they hearing continue to talk? Yeah, I can't. I can't.
Speaker 2: Uh. Oh god, well I know I'm gonna. I just gotta yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh hold on, come on, man, j Jenna fankhy Jenna. Sorry about that. Man, We're so bad. We're so awful. She's really good. It's just like, you know, she's relatively a year and a half or something, a little like that. Yeah, you know, I was supposed to remember her.
Speaker 2: No, it's been it's been crazy. The thing about it with that, too, is some the Moonies of the world are Shawn Mooney's, the the Lupitos who just retired, uh, the older the Bud Foster's. You know, you don't see those people in there. They're just out of college.
Speaker 3: Or I mean someone like Pat Parris, who you know at at k GUN. You know, local guy went to high school here. He's been around and you know, he's been here for quite a long time. And he does news, but he does some sports. He was at the he was at the Brent Brennan press conference the other day. He's got a lot of interest in sports. He and I did the Sugar Skulls together for three years, two years I can't remember. And uh, you know guys like that who are around that you didn't see around right around sports, right they were the news or they were sports one or the other. Now yeah, so many people doing you know, do them both, as Damien talked about. So it's a matter of how do you how do you absorb your sports? Where do you get it? You know, who are all the things you follow? You know, we follow Wilner, John Wilner, we follow uh, you know, the people at the Athletic and Sports Illustrated. Well, I tend to follow specific writers as opposed to reading everything that's in the athletic because they do so much right. And the same thing with Sports Illustrated.
Speaker 2: You see Ari Washerman is no longer with the Athletic use now I guess I was told you one to the recruiting place twenty three or whatever on three oh.
Speaker 3: Three.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, he's left and he's one of the issue gets. I mean you Vegas, you're a Vega guy, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: So you know, it's uh, it's an interesting thing about how you're how you're doing that now and again it's to the point where I go on Twitter and find stories to read. That's how I do it. You know, I'll see a story by Pat Forty on something, or there's a couple of breaking news things that we're going to have on developments, uh in in college athletics that you see that you know, Okay, that's a story I have to read. That story will be in the airzon a daily start tomorrow. But I've already read it, right, those kinds of things. Uh, you know, APM, I'm I'm you know we I I follow AP sports to get you know, their rankings and various stories follow yeahoo sports. I follow, as I said, the New York Times, Washington Posts and some of those places that you got your news.
Speaker 2: So I'm watching Twitter now that you say this, I guess Jim Rome had ren and I didn't see it. I just saw the quote from it from Rome. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. So I had no idea what an amazing human being he is. I think a lot of people are gonna find that out right because he speaks so well. He speaks highly of his teammates, and again I had Lamont. I didn't want to tease Lamont last week because he's much bigger than me and he could crush me about the guys playing hard for him when he came in, right, and I said, what are you talking about? Is no, it was very obvious to me and eventually to you, right right, yes, because they have that much respect for him.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, you saw it. You saw it as the season went on, Right, guy's talking and stuff. He's they are more committed to know off of feed and then they're saying things about him that they didn't say about Jayden DeLaura. And I'm not saying that as at a criticism of Jaden DeLaura. It's just that you follow guys that you feel are on the same page.
Speaker 2: And it was a different feel, right, It was just and it was very apparent to me right away. Stuff like that doesn't just happen because.
Speaker 3: Like like within like within the the Alamo Bowl, remember there was from in the second and third quarter they were done was getting the hell beat out of him. He was getting the hell beat out of him, and you almost thought they got on the sidle and said, look, our quarterback is getting the crap beat out of him. We need to play better for him or he's gonna get killed. And then they did and then they won the game. Yeah, well they changed the scheme, a little right scheme, and they but all of a sudden, some some switch came on that they were all sudden blocking better for him, and he got he was able to do that, and he responded by doing the things to help them win the game. When you do that, that's how these things became. I'm special, right, And that's and and you know, and that's a word that people are saying about this what.
Speaker 2: We we're gonna have. We're gonna have Kevin Lehman on tomorrow. You missed the U the uh she was? She was fun, she was a lot of fun. I think you probably have done this. We've all probably done this. You work for a boss either you like or you don't like. And if you don't like, you don't, whether it's internal or whatever, you kind of say hell with you. I was gonna say about the word you know.
Speaker 3: You don't say the extra hour, wrap or work or whatever.
Speaker 2: Right, and then then running through wall things. It's a thing if you like the dude and you say I'm gonna make this thing work, I'm gonna stay a little longer or whatever I can do to help.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And when when you say that that that running through walls thing. I don't know if you ever if you've ever seen it, but Dana Dana Cooper produced a video of the eighty eight basketball team okay afterwards called uh I can't remember the name of it, but you know, it's just a recap of the season, and they interviewed you know, the play and and Sean Elliott on that in that video. It always stuck with me. That's how I can bring it up. How he said that that season they all would have run through a wall through Yeah. Yeah, that's why that's that team was special. Right. If Brent Brandon could capture any of that with this team, or if no Fafita has captured that with his team, that's how these teams make the leap from maybe not being the most talented team on the field every time to being able to beat somebody because even though they aren't the most talented team on the field. Yeah, every time, you feel like those teams that Dick Tomy had that were really good, every team that those players would do that where even if they went seven and four, if they weren't didn't feel like that, maybe they would have gone five and sure.
Speaker 2: No, and that's what makes them special. We won't know about this one until it happens. But last year you could see it less you can see it after that. And who talked about it? Maybe it was a Keendom that that day we were sitting with him. We talked about the us US seeing in the Washington game where they didn't win them, but they played hard. Uh, you know, they saw some they saw something and then they didn't lose after that.
Speaker 3: They didn't lose after that the Washington game. They haven't lost since Washington game last year.
Speaker 2: And that doesn't just happen by Actually it's just things. Yeah, right there, we won't see what. We will see what happens this year. If there's some thing, Hey we saw it under something there was no thing, and it works.
Speaker 3: It works. It can work opposite, Yeah, it can work the opposite.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's funny because my doctor, who's well the doctor I saw today, he's filling in for his daughter, who's actually my doctor and she's out on maternity but huge sports fan, and uh, we got to talking and he was asking me about Brent Brannan and we were having this conversation about you know, is he a guy that this team will really get behind and and be you know and do those things? Right? Do they love him to the point where they're gonna, you know, run a little harder, tackle, a little harder, you know, die for a ball, all those things. And I said it looks like it, as you say, we won't know until we know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think though that he's got a lot of Dictomy and him. They did the same thing for Dick Tomy right after the first couple of years. Sometimes, I don't know what would you attribute some of the things that didn't.
Speaker 3: Go well that those years, Steve. They just didn't have the talent that, for instance, they have this year, right, just their talent level. And you look at first a look at the string of quarterbacks that Dick, that Dick has.
Speaker 2: Well, well we can't. We gotta go now. We talked about the Penn State. You're right, yeah, And what do you tell you we lost it in.
Speaker 3: The lost They lost it the minute Keith Smith got his face coat.
Speaker 2: Well, guess what if you lost it? It's hell to get back.
Speaker 3: Right, It's hard, Yeah, it's hard. All right, let's take a break at the top of the hour. Ryan, It's gonna come back. Sorry, Ryan, Look, I couldn't remember Jennifer's name right, Ryan were breaking news. There's lots of it, so stick around.