Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are.
Speaker 3: Get off our show, idiot. The kids are playing or.
Speaker 4: Tail off, prying, countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, Goldplay Inner Murals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 2: As the professional voiceover guys said, this is Coffee and Company, and we are fueled by Thornton's and this is Sports Talk seven ninety. But it kind of feels like today is either a funeral or a celebrate of life, maybe for the season that Louisville basketball had. And we'll we'll get through it three hours, and I am hoping to hear from a lot of you today, Babo, two five hundred is the number if you guys want to give us a call. This is really just going to be a not only a long post I mean this is be a long postgame show. Those are typically about an hour. We've got three hours, and it's really a season postseason show, right because it's over. It has come to an end, and it sucks. I Uh, I've got so much to just throw out there and ramble about, but I don't really know where to start. So I'll just start with what is the most like, what's the freshest thing on my mind as I'm sitting here in studio looking up at the screens and watching other games going on. And I mean, this, this isn't something that is that surprising, because we've talked about it quite a bit this week. It is something Louisville fans have experienced before, and that is that losing as the first in the first game of the NSAA tournament, it's the absolute worst, especially considering that, like it's such a big deal to us if it would have been you know, like think about a football school who makes the tournament every every you know, seven eight years. I mean, I'm sure it still stinks to watch your team lose. That's that's just how this works. But again, like we care about it so much, we we let it consume us more than anybody else. So to get the uh to get the dance and started and then have to leave the dance floor before it really gets started is an awful feeling. And wait, our favorite song hasn't even came on yet. The same thing happened to us last time we were here, which was six years ago. And I know Louisville when they lost to Morehead State that in twenty eleven, and that sucked. That was that was early in the day. But I don't remember it being the first game overall. I could be wrong. I think it was okay because that was a long time ago. What I and I think you're right because I've heard enough people mention it to where it clearly it wouldn't just be something everybody's just you know, made up. But I think the tournament loss in twenty nineteen was such a forgettable experience for a lot of people because it was a very brief tenure with a coach that was here for three years and some change, and then a you know, a global pandemic happened, and you know, it's easy to just you know, kind of forget that whole thing happened. But anyways, losing first in the tournament absolutely sucks. And I'll just you know, I'll start with this, I really don't have any genuine feeling of like anger, disappointment, because these guys didn't play well today. They could have played better. But I'm not like, I'm not mad at them, I'm not like disappointed to where they really let me down in a way. It just sucks because I'm sad and I hate that this is the end of the line for a team that I think will always be very very memorable. I mean, we'll see, only time will tell. I mean, there's not going to be really this is when this is gonna be one of those seasons that that really it just comes down to you having the you know, I guess I don't want to say how much it meant to you because that that that's a little too personal because you can enjoy it and you can, you know, you can experience the highs and lows of a fan, but like what something means to you is, you know, that's that's a little deeper. But what I'm saying is that I feel like there's not going to be any historical stat or accomplishment for this season and this team that will put them in any kind of like record book or all time great team category. So it's just going to be you know, remembering they they brought us back to life, right and not only did they did they win a lot of games this year. They got us back in the tournament. There was relevancy surrounding our program that has not been there in a long time, and that was awesome. That was an experience that we clearly took for granted, and then it was gone for a long time. And then they, I think picked up on the fact that we were energized and that they I mean, they took pride I think in playing here and getting the fans excited once again. So you know, I'm gonna always remember them, but I don't I guess I really don't know how they'll be viewed. You know, I shouldn't say how they I don't think anybody's gonna look back, who remembers this season and say, you know, I hated that team. That team man, that season was not enjoyable. But as far as, like, you know, where they into I think, as I said a couple of weeks ago, before we even got to this point, this has been such a unique year to where in every way this is just you know, we felt things that we wouldn't have felt had we not gone through three years of just you know, sadness and and something that we one hope never happens again, but also we never envisioned it ever being possible, so that the unthinkable that you hope never happens again puts you in a position to where you will appreciate a team just playing hard and really embracing the fact that they they get a chance to play for this program, a coach that seems to really value this what this is so just a very rare year in all aspects. It was a fun ride, but man, when you are the first team out, it sucks. I mean losing We could have lost as the last team to play in the round of sixty four and it's still would have sucked. But today was just not a good day and I didn't have like any again. Another aspect that makes this just very unusual for me is that I've never really had any big feeling one way or the other about any game this year because I've known that this team doesn't have necessarily the makeup to just go out there and have a have a half assed game and beat a lot of teams because they're just not that talented. So that's it. But I've also never been really scared of any major opponent because I feel like, you know, their maturity and their their ability to kind of, you know, just battle it out, gives them a chance to be competitive, and that that has added to why it's just been a different ride than what we at least what I've what I can, what I remember in all the other years where I've watched the Louisville team that you know, was what was what we want. A team that's competitive, a team that wins a lot more than they lose, a team that's going to be an instable a tournament. So overall, it's it's just said that it's over, you know today. Certainly, if you guys have criticisms about what you saw today and all that, you can certainly share that with us. I don't think that there's really any area of today's game that you would look at and say that Louisville, you know, out did their opponent. So again, five oh two, five seventy nine hundred is the number of you guys want to jump in and give us a call. We'll get to the phone lines in just a second, so please, if you're on hold, stick with us. I promise you we're going to get to you. You can also text in if you'd like on the L and N Federal Credit Union text line five OO two four three eight ninety seventy three. So for me, what it came down to initially was this, we didn't take away their strength, and that's hard to do it times. You know, a team's strength is a strength when you get to the tournament because they've done it well all year and clearly coaches players, they're aware of what a team likes to do, and you try to take that away. That's part of competition, that's that's that's how this works. So their strength was that they didn't foul. We didn't force the issue. And I guess it's to your opinion as far as was it more so us not trying to take advantage of that, or I'm not taking advantage, but more so trying to, you know, take them out of their comfort zone where they maybe are foul prone and they've got a team at the free throw line a lot. Or is it more so them just really being good at what they do. We also did a terrible job at exploring their exploding their weakness, especially early on. I mean, this is a Creighton team that turns the ball over as if they are a charitable organization is if nobody there is on an il scholarship, they just they just give it away mid game, no matter who they're playing, gifts to their they they turn it over like crazy. Their point guard turns it over a lot. And then as a team they don't turn anybody over. And Louisville at the end of the day had less turnovers than than Creighton. But to start the game, Louisville had I think five turnovers before they had won. And that's just that's a recipe for disaster whenever a team that they've got one real vulnerability, and sure enough, they've been great at avoiding that, letting that be an issue for them, and they've actually made you be the you know, they've made it to where you are the one turning it over a lot. So the end of the day they turned it over ten times, louivill turned it over six. But when Louisville was creating turnovers and attempting to capitalize on it or you know, at times they did take advantage of Creighton being charitable. But anytime you had to do that, you were in a hole. I mean you just were, so you know, things that could really hurt Creighton and make them vulnerable. Louisville wasn't able to get them in that in that game. And you know, as far as I mean when you look at Louisville, I don't really know what the main thing that opposing coach will be worried about. I think what it comes down to is that you know Louisville strengths and weaknesses, but how you would choose to counter that depends on who you are, right, It's your identity, how you're built. So they and it makes total sense now they do not. I mean, I mean even though Ashworth played phenomenal today, made a lot of tough shots, I mean, game of his life. Although as well as he played, I mean, let's be honest, when you look at the overall game from Jemiah Neil, he led them in every category twenty nine points, twelve rebounds, and six assists. He kicked Louisville's ass today. But anyways, back to you know, the overall like Louisville with Hadley and Hepburn, I would say, you know, they have an advantage to where they could take it. You know they could score on those guys. But I think what Creighton does the reason why they commit fewer fouls than anybody in the country. They commit ten fouls a game. Is because they realize we probably aren't elite at just you know, prevent dribble penetration. So therefore, let's not pick up fowls and let's let's you know, bait guys into the lane to have to deal with the giant that is Ryan Kulkbrenner. And he had Let's see how many blocks did he have today? I think he had five? Was it five? Because because the last one was where Chucky tried to bravely dunk on, so they had five? Did he have all of them? I assume he probably did. Had to have been five or six. Yeah, so let's see. Yeah, he so the only the team had five, So he probably and it would make sense if he had all of them, because you know, he's he's a giant. He's he's the five time defensive player, the four time defensive player of the year in the Big East. Also one of those actually, no, he he had four. Uh, the other one came from Jami and Eal, the other guy who you know played at it. I mean that guy. You you would think just by watching that game that he's that he's an NBA superstar, he's like their fourth best player. But he killed us today, and credit to him. I think that had a lot to do with both him and us. But nonetheless, you know, with Ryan Kochbrenner, he's not only gonna block shots and alter shots. He's in your head. And that was a I mean that was noticeable from the beginning of the game. Their rim protector impacted our offense way too much. And you know, it's easy, easier said than done to just say, look, just go try to score, don't be worried about getting blocked. But shots that you knew he wasn't probably gonna block you. Nobody shot him comfortably around the rim in the first half. It got a little better in the second half, and then in the second half you started just missing layups that I feel like this team you know, should miss. But I mean he was you know, if you are if you're going against Ryan Kalchbrenner, when it comes to how you're going to attack him, I mean you probably try to, you know, get the game sped up and you try to bring him away from the rim. And we didn't do that at all at all. And when it comes to how you try to stop him. I actually think when it comes to defending him in the post, I think we did as bad about as good of a job as you can as far as just like there wasn't many there wasn't many opportunities for him where he caught it and just went to work right, Like they ran some really good stuff, Like there were a couple of plays that you know, you never want anybody to score, but like they ran some stuff that I'm not sure Louisville could have defended it better. But what happened was our attention to detail on Cockbrinner put Creighton in positions where they could take advantage of that, and they did right. Because when we're when we're moving like you know they and by the way they move like crazy in the half court Crayton does. They're a well coached team and they're a good team too, by the way, I'm gonna get that in a moment, Like, I mean, Louisville lost also today because there's a good chance that team's just better than you, And I don't know how anybody would say they're not after today, right, I mean, louisll could have been better. I would have loved to have seen a healthy rain Smith. You know, if they play in a seven game series, who knows. But like today, it wasn't just the score. They had some dudes that you know, we'll get to that. We'll get it that in a minute. I'm gett with cock Brener. I mean the issue with defending him the way you have to to just make it sure, you know, to try to take away and no matter what you do, there's an advantage with him because he's so tall, and he's a good player too, Like he's not just some giant. He also has some ability and is a smart player. So that led to gang rebounding for Louisville to where if it's a long rebound, we're vulnerable. Right long rebound, they get it open three. If we are taking shots around the rim and an there's indecisiveness to where you kind of just throw up a half ass shot instead of just taking it strong because you're thinking about him. That leads to maybe a long rebound or maybe a block, and then they can easily look up court and they've got guys who can spot up in transition. So they shot it really well from three today. Let's be honest, they were I mean, as a team, they were eleven of twenty four. That's forty five percent for three. That's a great day for any team at the three point line. But I think they also got a lot of good looks and it was just because sometimes maybe poor defense, but more often it was because the way Louisville had to counter on both ends for that Giant, they were able to get some opportunities to get hot. You know, this is one of those things that when you are when you play for Creighton and you are you know, let's say Ashworth and uh who was who was the Mick Andrew? Like, you know why those guys are at this level playing and starting for a program like Creighton because it's known to be an issue if you leave them open. Right, So like, if these guys get open shots for whatever reason and they make them, you can't be surprised. That's why they're there, Right, nobody's perfect. You aren't going to shoot a hundred percent as a three point shooter. But when I saw them bury some shots, especially in the first half, some of them were shots that like, I'm mad they're open, but I also can't be surprised when they make it. That's what they do now. There also were some as well that you felt like they pulled out of their ass. Ashworth had a couple of them, and definitely Neil did. His were more so just I feel like isolation buckets fading away like he's Michael Jordan in the late nineties. That's what that looked like. But you know, they made some tough shots, they got some good looks that they expect to make, I think because Louisville just could not counter for everything that comes with playing somebody that is Ryan Cockbrinner. So you know, one thing that really stood out to me during this game, and it's just me being you know, the fan and bum that we were clearly at time. I mean we were out class today. I mean, they were just a lot better than us. But you didn't just get an eight seed. You got a nine seed who by all accounts, I mean maybe they were worthy of their nine seed, I don't know, but they have a guy that no matter who, no matter who you are as a team, you are making some major or even slight adjustments to who you are and what you want to do because you can't counter for what he does. Right Third team All American, I mean Creding's a team that if you can take away what really you know, what makes them a twenty plus win team, They're vulnerable because they don't have, you know, they're not gifted with you know, just insane talent. But if you aren't able to you know, take away and minimize their you know, their advantages. And I guess you could say that about any team, right, But I'm just saying Louisell didn't just have to play a team that finished second in the Big East and gave Saint John's one of the one of their four losses of the season. They played a team that just has something that I feel like ninety nine percent of teams in college basketball don't have. And I don't mean a giant. I mean a guy who's basically the diet version of Zach Edy. I mean he's seven to two production is is relatively similar, and oh, by the way, he shoots threes. So I mean, I know I'm sounding like poor me. We're playing victim here. I mean, Louisville didn't play well today and Creighton deserves a lot of credit, but like I also, it just feel it felt like, you know, the punch of the gut from Sunday lingered and then kind of went away, but it came back watching Creighton because I feel like Creighton's the caliber team that you know, when you're Louisville, you feel like you'd see them in the round of sixteen maybe or at least, you know, thirty two at least. But again that's me being you know, just feeling sorry for us because you know, it sucked to have such a fun ride. No you're in the tournament safely and then get you know, get and get this team and have this performance today. It sucks. I mean, they could have been better. It's not as if I mean the fault here as far as today as Louisville. They lost. They lined up, they couldn't, they couldn't get it done. In fact, for being honest, they really couldn't compete. I mean they fought, but they were down big the majority of this game. So you know, I just you know, I'm just sad. It sucks, and it's probably not super professional of me to be this emotional. You know, I'm not gonna cry, but am my thoughts and analysis today may be more so emotionally, you know, influence than than than usual. But you know, I'm a human You guys, I mean could tell how much I love this team and I'm just sad that it's over. So the other aspect of, you know, looking at this eight to nine Creighton Louisville first game of the tournament is to say this, I thought from the beginning of the game it was quite clear that Creighton simply has dudes that you didn't see the majority of the time when you played games the last two and a half months. I'm not saying that they're built with guys that you know, you just can't account for, but like they got dudes who hey, you give me, you give me a good look and transition off of a mist I'm cashing in like they're a winning program and the ACC stinks. So you know, we'll never know, right, did Louisville. It just depends on how you want to look at it.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: You can say Louisville today really they were the victim of not playing in a strong league because they didn't get challenged enough. Or you could say, you know, they went eighteen and two in the ACC because the ACC sucks, And the reality is there's those two sides, but the truth is somewhere in the middle of that right, we all know that, so, you know, going back and forth on it, well, you know, I'm sure all the you know, the anti Louisville mostly Kentucky fans, they're gonna just claim this is just a product of the ACC being terrible, and they may be right. We'll never know, or it could be the other thing that I mentioned that maybe Louisville just you know, didn't didn't have you know, they weren't prepared. If they had they played more teams that were built like that, maybe things would have been better. And we'll never know. But I just I think that when it comes to, you know, what Creighton brought as far as their personnel, it wasn't even about like overall talent or I guess maybe it was. I just they My worry was that when Louisville gets to the NAA Tournament, no matter who they play, in Creighton I think is way better than nine. But I said it a few times, no matter who they played, we had to realize they're gonna be probably a lot better than ninety eight percent of the teams you've played since January. And that was clearly a factor today. Now, should they have been in the game where they played a team like that. That's you know, that's obviously a different conversation. All right, if you're on hold, we'll get you on the other side. Baba, Why two five, seven, one seventy nine hundred is the number? It's Coffee and Company, guild by Thornton's really the funeral today, celebration life, whatever you want to call it. I guess it depends on where you are mentally right now. But keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Right, all right, we'll let you guys react to what happened today.
Speaker 3: Louisville.
Speaker 2: They fall. They are the first team eliminated from the Big Dance, which really sucks. I mean, I know I've hammered on that for a while, but I tell you what I would take, like if we're talking, I mean, this is this is just me being very much, you know, in the moment, and very very much in pain for what just happened and what this feels like. But like, if I've got a chance to be a six or a seven, give me a seven. If I don't have to play the first game, you know, if I've got a chance to be a you know, two or three, give me the three if I don't have to play the first game. And I know that sounds insane because you're talking about potentially you know, it all depends on the year the field, Like, are you really going to put yourself on a spot to it? You know, it's just and this is just me talking like a lunatic fan, right because I'm sure what this does to us. It's no different if these guys lost tomorrow. I mean, it's just that's really just from the from purely the fan perspective. But anyways, Coffee and Company feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. We'll let you guys react. I've done a lot of that today and I'll continue to do it. But obviously, uh, I think other voices are needed on a day like this to provide some different perspective. But let's go to the phone lines, Bibo. Two seventy nine hundred is the number, and we will welcome in Jerry, who has been patiently waiting. Jerry, let it rip, brother.
Speaker 5: All right, this past Monday, I told you I gave the status of the night, and today I give the staff about a d two things today played into this. I think they miss rain a lot more than everybody realizes. Agreed, it just changed our I think it just changed our team. It put the blocks in the concrete. Send their blocks on on Javon and and uh and and Terrence and Chucky's back and it's and they just they carried it for a long time, and I think it weighed on them. Okay, I thought we were out coached in a big way. I thought we looked flat and unprepared for their offense. Couple of things I gotta disagree with you about Creighton versus the ACC. You know, I'm sitting here watching Clemson right now. They might get beat to the by McNeese, but they're damn good team and we beat that team just the other day. So let's not build up Creighton too much. And here's why I'm gonna tell you. Creighton's a good team. We made them look great today. They entered this game twenty four and ten. Okay, they lost to Nebraska by eleven. They lost to San Diego State, who've gotten murdered by U n C the other night. They lost them by eighteen.
Speaker 2: But and you're not right Jerry, you're not wrong, but let me ask you this, and really it just comes down to, you know, us both guessing because we can't prove each other right or wrong. I don't think Clemson's a good team because of talent. I think Creighton has some pieces that aren't you know, we could have beat him, We should have beat We could have played better. I'm not acting like we played with you know, we didn't lose today because we just can't account for what they bring. But I do think they have some guys like even if McNeil gives you half of what he gave you today, I think he's a high caliber player in the ACC. If that's the you know, what he ever does consistently, You know I'm not I don't. I don't want to gas Craton up as if they're the world beaters, but I do think when you look at the ACC outside of four to five teams, I would say they're they're better than all those teams and it wouldn't be close.
Speaker 5: Well, they this team, this team that just beat us and dominated us, lost to Jordan Nick. They lost a Xavier by twenty two nineteen days ago.
Speaker 2: I know they were down twelve to DePaul less than a week ago, with less than two minutes left in one in double overtime.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: That's what gave me confidence.
Speaker 5: My next point. But Monday, Monday, I talked talent. Okay, so Rus Tray or Rain Scott and Waterman. Scott didn't score today, Okay, Rus gave us two, Trey Or gave us four. You know, Waterman, if Waterman, if Waterman hits his shots early, early in the game, I think he would have been a hell of a lot more effective. He got all his and the game was over. The thing about it is is this. I felt like the game was over when it was twenty eight twenty one. I really did. We cut it to twenty eight twenty five and then that was it. I got to say a few more thanks Scott, as I've talked about before, He's got to improve immensely, or you just got to move on. I mean, I'm sorry, I.
Speaker 2: Got you, I'm with you. I'm with you. Let's let's I'm with you. What else? I want to make sure we could as many people as begain Coalk.
Speaker 5: Brinner just sat in the middle. He just sat there right. All I'm saying is this. We had a hell of a year. I love this team. I love all the players, I love the coaching staff, even though I didn't think they performed well. Okay, but to get to get the championship number four, we got a thousand miles to go. We got to get some talent.
Speaker 2: In no doubt.
Speaker 5: That's just the way I see it, no doubt. Hey man, thanks for the time, Go cards.
Speaker 2: Jerry, appreciate you. And look, Jerry and I are. I think you know you wouldn't expect it, or maybe you would. I don't know. I guess it depends on how you choose to to you know, to it or to what you take from it. You hear what you want to hear. But when he said twenty eight twenty one is when he felt like the game was lost, I was absolutely right there with him. Now I'm more so just the pessimist, but also you know, with that said, like I could just tell they were like early on what makes them vulnerable? We couldn't we didn't or couldn't take it away. And I think things that you know, Louisville would need to do to really beat a lot of teams, especially a good team like Creighton. They weren't able to do. So, you know, we'll go back in the phone lines in just one second. But I do want to say this, like I as far as the coaching staff, I mean, I think they they paid a lot of attention to Kalk Brenner as any as anyone would. And then, you know you, I didn't even want to say that, you like you open it up to where you just let the other guys, you know, you dare. I don't think these guys were dared to beat us. They just had a great game in in you know, in a bad time for Louisville. And I'm trying to balance it here because again I'm not saying that they couldn't have been better today and that they had like the perfect game plan and they just played, you know, against the ninety seven bulls. But also here's my whole thing. And we'll get back to the fone mines in just one second. I promise you will. Ben, We'll get to you guys. But my cousin Eric, he and I text all the time about Louisville hoops, and he sent this to me is the show started and out. You know, I hadn't had time to really look back at this, and honestly, I never would because this is this not to be too dramatic here, but like this is a traumatic thing, Like Louisville losing in the tournament hurts me in a way that like it shouldn't, makes me question my sanity as a human being. But they they went on that run early on. It was a four minute, nineteen to two run when they made six three pointers. So that's that's what did it today in Louisville. I think in the second half did a better job of me. I think they were I think the staff did a good job of countering Creton in the second half. You just dug yourself too big of a hole when you are who you are and they are who they are. And that's not just say say that we faced Goliath, but you can't Louisville can't spot many teams twenty right. I mean, it's just not ideal. So with all that said, you know, you just you had you had a run hit you that has not hit you all year. And in the second half. I think even in the second half, I feel like the vast majority of the things they did to counter any momentum that Louisville had established was them just making tough shots or or you know, or as you know sometimes you say it, they they pulled them stuff out of their ass, like that's what it was. I mean, some of those some of the things they did in the second half. I think the most of the things they did in the second half to really put a holt to any momentum Louisville had was them just you know, having a day early on not so much, but you know, you just can't. You can't dig that big of a hole. And you know, Creighton's the kind of team that they will make you pay for mistakes that that that's in the analytics, but they also don't make a ton of mistakes, and Louisville didn't make them make a ton of mistakes today. And that's that's to me. I think, you know, the bigger issue. Last thing I'll say is somebody, when of my buddies takes me, asked, does it feel do you feel good? Does at least feel good about being right? And nothing feels good about right now? And I questioned, like, what do you mean? And and he did bring up something and this is not a I told you so, but I'm just I think, you know, I'm right now, real like this is a real in the moment kind of thing to where I'm just thinking about, you know, what happened today, but three things that were mentioned by me here and there on the show and again trust me now and I told you so.
Speaker 5: Thing.
Speaker 2: I just think this was that this ended up being a factor in why today happened. One, they started running out of gas towards the end of the year, like they were still winning, but they didn't look the exact same. And I thought to myself, Okay, am I am I? Am I? Am I doing too much here? Am I asking theming to be perfect? Because that's not fair? Or am I noticing that they're still, you know, bringing the same attitude and you know they're still the same, but they they they're on E. The tank is on E. It looked that way, and I think it played out that way. I mean, maybe you could say, no, they beat Clemson, Okay, I don't think Clemson's that good. That doesn't change how I feel about Louisville. Don't think Clemson's that good. You know, they nearly lost to Stanford. Yeah, they played Duke for a half and I was and I thought they played well in that first half. They you know they were, they were given it all they had, and then they ran out of gas in the second half, especially Chucky. It's like they ran out of gas. Also, the seed thing, I don't think they were correctly seated at all, And if the ACC wasn't seated differently, it wouldn't be as big of an issue. But the reality is that Louisville's best win was Clemson twice. And again that's not me telling you, hey, this is what we get. We thought this team was good and they weren't. Not at all what I'm saying. But you left Actually no, I shouldn't say you left it open, because I don't think you could have controlled it. You could have beat some more teams that you didn't beat. But it was there for them to decide to view you a certain way. Why they decided to view Louisll different than every other ACC team, I'll never know, but but you know that was a factor like and then and again this is kind of the same thing, but it's but it's a little bit different. I think Louisville today played a team and look, people can Again, this is all a matter of opinion, and I can't prove it. And clearly the selection committee disagrees. I think Clemson is not as good as Creighton. I don't. So you know, when we talk about Louisville not being challenged a whole lot in the last couple of months, that's really not an excuse, like it doesn't you know you but because you can't control that. But like today, I felt like we played a team that was vastly better than everybody we've played outside of maybe two teams since January, And there's nothing you can do about that, right, But it at least makes me wonder, you know, did we have some confidence that maybe wasn't justified or did we just not get tested in a way. Now, the other end of that whole thing is that I don't know how many teams you can face that are going to give you a real look at what you're gonna face. When Ryan Kalchbrenner's on the roster and he wasn't even close to their most dominant player today, right, they had two guys that just went off on us. I mean, kalk Brenner, I feel like I had a light day, but man, his presence was a factor on both ends for both teams. They don't foil because they don't have to. They'll bait you into getting into the lane to taking a contested, off balance, very indecisive shot, or he'll block your shot, or on defense you'll gang rebound and they'll have options to tap it out for a for a three point you know, a second chance shot from the three point line. So you know, anyways, back to the phone lines, let's let's go to Will Will. What's happening?
Speaker 4: Hey, what's up?
Speaker 5: Man? Hey?
Speaker 6: I think you're correct on a lot of that. I think we're gonna be saying basically the same things because you know, I look at, Okay, our week conference that you kind of alluded to that did we get tested? Okay, of course we had a week. It's all good. We didn't have a strong big man to counter this guy, correct, you know, correct, Okay, tough. They had a tough conference. I think they came in fourth in the Big East, Creighton, I think second finished second.
Speaker 5: Okay, So think about that.
Speaker 6: I mean you're talking about Mark chat Yukon right in uh Saint John's so big tested team. The seating, I think the psychology of the seating for us, the mentality of how that went down.
Speaker 5: We did get you know what, but I think, you know, and also.
Speaker 6: The talk was we were like we kind of jumped to Auburn, like, you know, we gotta beat Creighton first.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying that could have been.
Speaker 6: Good material for the coach for Creighton to say, look, they're not even scared of us, they're pissed off because they're gonna get Auburn. I don't know how much that played in, but I kind of thought that. And when Chucky made that weak foul right in the beginning, like you said that fatigue, it just didn't seem energetic.
Speaker 4: He kind of bow the kid way after he had it was.
Speaker 2: Fatigue carried over to poor decisions for this team in the last month that was not there really for the majority of the season, even when they weren't great, And I you know, I think some of the decisions defensively, some of the decisions offensively. I just, you know, I don't know how you can go from being a team that usually is safe and doesn't make a lot of poor decisions and is very calculated to where at times it's just almost like what the hell were you're doing? I think, you know, there's a lot of things you could throw in as a factor, but I think fatigue was one of them. I think these guys were were clearly worn down, and you know, it's not an excuse for losing and really not really being in the game today. But overall, I mean, I just think I could feel it building, you know, and incison And I told you so thing again, I'll keep saying that because I don't. I don't, I don't, I don't. I wasn't. I thought louis will win today. I really did. But then again, you know, you get out there and you see crating up against the louisvill and you realize, okay, this is a team that you could play well and still maybe have a tough time beating, because you know what, they're a pretty good team too. I thought it was a very competitive matchup from top to bottom. It's just you know, they had their day and Louisville didn't, and you know, at the end of the day, they were better.
Speaker 7: One more thing, quickly, I know you got to go.
Speaker 5: I love the guys.
Speaker 6: I'm not criticized by any of the guys, but I do think we're gonna have to dig in deeper with our recruiting.
Speaker 2: In of course, yes, this look, this team, this team is yeah, this team did not have again even before And I appreciate the call, Will because I don't think I don't think you're wrong. What was easy to forget is that Louisville went aggressively after big men and they didn't get them right. They went after and I mean, like you know, Caseen was the stretch four that you coveted and you got it, but they were going after some other real bigs because the thought of James Scott being your your full time five man, it didn't you know, if you remember before we ever watched this team play was the one thing that stood out like, hm, I don't know if that makes a lot of sense. So they didn't get it. And throughout the year they they clearly did enough to to you know, to get by without having just your the big man is kind of dead, but Louisville didn't have anybody. You throw it into the post. Put it this way, Louisville's best back to the basket players be be you know, closer to you know, within the three point line. Were there guards? It was I mean Chucky and and Javon, I mean Chucky, would you know he's not a post player, but like he would literally like at times take advantage of a guy physically, same thing with with same thing with Javon. You know, he would use the tweener to where if they put a smaller guy on and he would back up Louil. It didn't have any any post presence and you know, we got to get to a break and promise you we'll get to Ben on the other side. He'll wrap up the four o'clock hour for us. But when it comes to like Pat Kelsey, I think this year he didn't have a weapon that makes his offense dangerous. And that's it. That's that's that's Ali Khalif. And that's not to say he's going to be a big missing link, but he's the kind of guy. He's a passer, he's a guy that can facilitate for your for your shooters, and they just didn't really have that this year. And you know, they made up for for the most part, but they were at a disadvantage in the front court I think a lot this year, but they made up for it with just guys you know, like Javon and James, those guys. They played hard as hell all year and I think you got the most out of them as far as what they're capable of. You know, James Scott, he needs to get better offensively, like Jerry said, but I don't know if he's ever going to be a polished offensive player. You know, he's gonna be a guy that does what he did this year, and you need a guy like that, right, quick break, come back on the other side, keep it locked right here in Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day.
Speaker 2: All right, coming up here at the top of the hour, we will let you guys hear from a couple of the players as well as Pat Kelsey. After the season came to an end of the day, Louisville loses first game of the n CIMBLA Tournament, their first trip there in six years, and a reminder how much it sucks to be the first team out and a reminder of how painful it is to have the march sadness. If it was a fun ride, but seeing it come to an end, it sucks. We'll also get you caught up on the score from around the country. Clemson. As I mentioned earlier, I just I mean maybe maybe they'll end up pulling off a magical run. But they're down eight to sixteen. They've scored eight points in eleven minutes here against In fact, now they're down eight to eighteen to McNeese State. So again that I don't say this to try to, you know, justify my thoughts on the ACC and Louisville and their challenges before they got here. But I mean, I just I can't lie and say that I've ever thought Clemson was like a team that from a talent standpoint, you just really have to be scared of. But anyways, as far as matchups today, Creighton was a bad matchup for Louisville because of really what they what they have as a physical presence that we don't have when we play Clemson, We're a terrible matchup for them, you know, just so it works both ways. Or let's go back to the phone lines. Well, welcome in, Ben Ben, You're on Sports Talk seven ninety. How are we doing today?
Speaker 4: Hey, what's up?
Speaker 7: Nick?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 4: That was brutal, brother.
Speaker 2: It hurts, man, it does. And you know I came down for this game.
Speaker 4: No, you know, I don't regret it.
Speaker 7: But man, as fun as it was, and you know, as cool as it was to be able to play so close, it's not the worst place you'd rather.
Speaker 2: Lose and freaking the ring, that's true. Yeah, I didn't even think about that. That's another component to today's disaster.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was rough.
Speaker 4: And let me around the stadium for a second. Man, that stadium sucks. They started Hunt Brothers pizza for crying out loud. I mean garbage.
Speaker 7: They still got freaking bleachers up top. The restroom sucks.
Speaker 2: It'll make you appreciate the um on it.
Speaker 4: It will. Man. But you know, Nick, I kind of disagree with the last collars said that the players overlooked man. Corcknan is a good freaking program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're right. I don't think I should have. I should have said I was trying to manage the clock. But I don't think there's any scenario where Louisville lost today because anybody player or staff was thinking about Auburn.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, I mean like Creighton has won a tournament game five.
Speaker 3: Years in a row now, so I mean very well coached and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very work. Hell, we wanted a coach a lot of our you know, a lot of our fans. One of that coach and you know, our our players have been in college basketball for a long time. They know claim is good. They were not thinking about Auburn.
Speaker 7: Now now I will say they were deflected, not deflected, but you could tell that getting the eighth seed kind of pissed them off. I mean, Kelsey played out said it, you know. But as far as overlooking the matchup, dude, I just don't see.
Speaker 4: I just think that they were a better team. They're they're better built, They're they're more of a complete roster, like like he keeps saying, we just ran out of gas. We don't have the dogs. We just man.
Speaker 7: It hurts, but you know, and James Scott man, I love James Scott and I love the bigs. But he's gonna probably have to sign another He's gonna have to find another move man, Like we're gonna we're gonna have to develop maybe a.
Speaker 4: Big man or something.
Speaker 1: Nick.
Speaker 7: But I'll just ask you question for I ain't up, Nick, What's what's What do you think is the biggest point in emphasis for Litvill Cardinals this offseason?
Speaker 2: I hung up and listen, Nick, Thanks, Ben appreciate it. I would say, I mean they're I mean, if you ask Pat Kelsey. Even off the record, he would he would tell you that it's not about like, hey, we got to do this, and that it's just him continuing. He's going to continue to do what he does as far as you know, I mean, he's gonna build it. He's gonna try to build his team the same way he does every year. He's just gonna hope to you know, get get the get the players that he wants. So, I mean, I think talent wise, I mean, I don't know, it's tough because I think this year's team is a tricky team when it comes to talk about overall talent because I do think Terrence was a gifted scorer and Chucky is a very talented player. Javaon is a good player, But I don't know if it's because of just god given talent. He clearly has that much more than most. It's just that you know, he was he was very sad, just a good, good player. So you know, I think there are teams this this year that weren't nearly as successful as Louisville, that maybe lost to Louisville, that maybe you know, didn't have nearly as good as years to Loisll what a lost him if they played him, that wouldn't that you wouldn't say had like a big talent disadvantage. I think he's gonna you know, he's gonna try. Long story short, They're gonna they want a big like at Charleston this year, the reigning player of the year that coach Kelsey coached last year, he stayed at Charleston, and I'll I don't know if they ever never. I don't know if they try to bring him, if he didn't want to come. He's a big man from uh, he's European, so I don't know if maybe he had an arrangement to where they were doing something to get by the lack of event like or maybe he just realized, hey, I can't go make money in Nil because I'm not a US citizen to where I'm just gonna stay a Charleston because I love it here. I don't know, We'll never know. But he's the kind of big that really they didn't have this year that Pat Kelsey's best teams, And it's really tough to compare his best team's worst teams because again, you know, Louisville being a top twenty five team, top ten team as today in the ap pole that you know like that, that's clearly his best team he's ever coach. But it's a different level. So they're gonna they're gonna want to get a big that can can really not only facilitate and do some things to get the shooters better looks than what you got this year or you know, but you know, and Khalifa can do that as far as a passer, but as far as long term, you know, when it comes to just your overall front court, they need more talent, there's no doubt about it. They need more offensive you know, ability, They need teams to be able to be they need teams to worry about, all right, we can't let this guy just you know, go to work on us in the post. They didn't have that this year, right, they didn't. And this year a lot of a lot of the scoring at times was done by Chucky Hepburn just being Chucky Hepburn, rather him being good enough to just go go get a bucket, go make a tough shot or create because he's that good. In previous Pat Kelsey teams that I'm aware of, they didn't have a guy like that. So what you lacked previously with what cat Pat wants to do. You made up for it at times because Chucky was that that good all. We gotta get to a break. We'll come back on the other side. Get some more of your phone calls. Let you guys hear from from this team. I've already heard some of the audio that I'm gonna play with you. Play for you guys. That just reminds me of how you know, how much I love this group and sucks they lost today. Hate it, but could have been a better group of guys to kind of bring us back to life. And I guess remind us how much it hurts when you love a team and you have a fun season, a good season, and then you know it comes to an end. Keep you locked right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety