Speaker 1: Kat r H Garden Line does not necessarily endorse any of the products or services advertised on this program. Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Skip Richter.
Speaker 2: Just watch him as so many.
Speaker 3: Go things to seeprazy not sald.
Speaker 4: Well. Welcome, Welcome to Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we're here to answer gardening questions. Actually, why I'm here is so that you can have more bountiful garden and more beautiful landscape and more fun in the process. Boy, if we could achieve those three things, I would feel like that's a home run. You know, gardening is supposed to be a blast, and we have the ability to create a little spot of eden whatever that looks like to you in your property.
Speaker 5: We do.
Speaker 4: Maybe you're a lawn ranger, one of the guys that likes large expenses expenses excuse me, oh, maybe expensive to large expenses of turf grass. That's that's what you like, the perfect cut, the weedless lawn. Uh, just seeing everything nice and edged and pretty. Maybe you're on the other end of the spectrum and you like it wild, native plants, cottage gardens. You know, no straight lines, no orders, no, definitely not an engineer. If you feel that well, maybe not. If you feel that way, maybe you're somewhere in between. Do you like vegetable gardening? Grownk things you can eat, vegetables and fruit and herbs. Oh my gosh, we can grow all kinds here in the Greater Houston area. We are fortunate. You know, we're about to get into some cold and we'll be talking about that a lot today. I bet, and yes that that's a rough one. But by and large, this is a very temperate climate and the amount of really hard freezes that we have are very few and far between. That's why you see cetresol over the place. That's why you see avocado trees down here. For crying out loud, I mean, this is a great place to grow a lot of things. It's not. There are not a lot of places where you can grow apples and avocados in the same spot. But this is actually one where it could be done as long as you're willing to go to some links in order to do it well. The way we get from here to there is for you to give me a call. Seven one three two one two KTRH seven one three two one two KTRH. Let's help you get the kind of success that you're looking for. All Right, we'll start off with the elephant in the room, and we'll come back to the elephant. I bet a bunch of times today the elephant in the room is it's going to get really cold. And I realized that I've talked to someone the other day that listens over almost to San Antonio in that area, listens on the radio to the show, and some folks down Corpus direction over Louisiana and Huntsville. It's kind of hard to say how cold's going to get at your house when we're covering that kind of area. But we're looking at everything from the teens maybe down to just a little bit into the twenties below thirty, depending on where you live as you're listening to this broadcast. Well, that means that what you need to do has a big range as well, you know, and we're going to get down in the mid twenties. We got a lot of plants that are commonly grown here that are really going to need some protection to not have a significant loss to them. Fortunately, we have a lot of plants that are able or resprout from the base. I was just out doing a video, which by the way, I posted to Facebook yesterday on protecting plants from the cold, just kind of real quick went over basically how to cover a plant and put heat underneath it and so on. And I was using a plant that's kind of a semi tender one. And we have a number of plants like that, you know, the Pride of Barbados, sometimes called Redbird of Paradise. That's one that is not hard to kill that to the ground. It cannot take much cold at all and it'll go to the ground. But if you mound soil or compost or mulch over the base, I like to use finer textured things because they don't allow the air to move through as easily. Like a big old chunky mulch isn't as much unless you put it read deep. Isn't as much protection let's say per inch of depth as would be compost or soil. But either way you go, you want to mount something over the base of it, and it killed it to the ground, that's fine, and it'll come right back out of the ground. In fact, plants like that do well if they get killed of the ground. They just come out fresh and same as true with esperanza yellow bells. Plant it all over the place. Those plants are marginally hardy. Depending on where you live in the listening area, they're gonna get killed part way to the or killed back a little bit, or often killed all the way to the ground. When we have a good coal snap. If you have a plant like that and it gets half killed back and it looks horrible, cut it to the ground. I cut mine to the ground every year because they come right back out of the ground. And if you do that, the plant won't be so scraggedly. You know, you had one long stem that kind of half survived and then sums coming back out of the ground. Cut it all the ground, have it all fresh, come back out again, and you'll be good to go. Don't forget. Don't forget that. You can do that. Thry Alice. Thrialice is a well it would be evergreen if it didn't freeze. Hard bush that has yellow blooms, and it blooms probably more months of the year than almost any plant you're going to put in your landscape really continues blooming. Mine has a little bloom on it still. I don't know what that's about. We went through upper twenties. The other day, it's underneath the eaves of the house on the south side, and it didn't kill it back. I was a little surprised. I figured that might take it down. Well, we're going to take it down this week because I'm going to be down in the upper teens probably where I live, and so that is going to take it back. But I was talking about those. That's another one thry alis. It could be killed to the ground and it'll come right back out again. Duranta Golden showers is another name people use for that. Duranta will be killed the ground. Just mulch the base. I would say, don't worry about trying to protect those plants unless you're way south and you're in an area where you almost never killed those back to the ground. Then if you want to give some protection protect the above ground parts, you can. I just like coming out fresh with them. That's my approach. So you choose how you want to go about that. But that's that's like cold protection. One oh one is mult the base, Well, you don't have to cut it back now. In fact, I would suggest you don't cut them back prior to mulching uh. And the reason is pruning is an invigorating process. Pruning is an invigorating process, and I want to I want to make a couple of comments about that. We're gonna take a little break here in a minute, and when I come back, I want to discuss what happens to a plant when you prune it, and why we do or don't prune prior to going into a cold season or a cold weather and coming up soon. So we'll do that in just a moment. I do want to remind you if you'd like to give us a call and get on the boards. It's always quiet as early in the morning, so you kind of have first shot without waiting in line seven one three two one two k t r H seven to one three two one two k t r H. Stay tuned. We'll be right back to talk about pruning and its effect on plants. All right, folks, we're back. Welcome back to Guardline. Good to have you with us. We've got a lot of things to cover today. I'll be talking about freeze and frost protection, certainly that some other concepts talk about printing here in just a little bit. As we get going, you know, when it comes to the cold weather, though, you need to be ready for it. And ACE Hardware stores have got you covered. Boy are they. I was talking to somebody from ASA other day and they are stocked up. They have everything you're gonna need. Do you need things like faucet covers? They've got that. Do you need that gadget called the freeze miser. You screw it into the end of your faucet and you turn your faucet on, just crank it up full force, and nothing happens. It just sits there and it as a temperature coals, something inside shrinks up and it starts to trickle water. And so the colder it gets, the more it's protecting that faucet. Doesn't that make sense? And then when the weather warms up, it stops dripping again, so you're not running water all night at a trickle trying to protect your lines. Fustymiser's really good. They got those at ACE. You can get insulation for your pipes. You can get that tape that you wrap around them, you know things. They have all kinds of things. Do you need to maintain your generator, make sure fires up in case there's some sort of issue with the power. They also can refill your propane tanks. They have propeane heaters, all kinds of heaters, electric heaters, overtype. You can imagine. You need some lugs for the fireplace. We always get excited when it gets cold because we get to run our fireplace. And so they've got that for you. Heat lamps for your for your plants, and I talk about that on that video by the way that I did on Facebook. Heat lamps for your plants and how to use them properly, and on and on and on. At your Houston Ace Hardware stores and I'm telling you Ace Hardware, they're a bunch of them all over the place. You can go to Ace Hardware dot Com find the one near you, or I'm just this. You've got Sinco Ranch on South Mason Road. There's an Ace Hardware right there. Ace Hardware, Sinco Ranch, Evaldie. Ace is on the east side of town, Crosby up in Crosby, Ace Hardware, Bay Cliff Ace Hardware just just south of the Chema and then Spring Ace Hardware. Those are just a few examples of the many Ace Hardware that we have. I'm gonna head out to the phone, said boy. I said Colin, it's quiet. Nick sorted, be not so quiet. We're gonna go to Mary in Houston. Hey Mary, good morning and welcome to garden Line. All right, Mary, are you there?
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm here.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Well, welcome to garden Line. How can I help this morning?
Speaker 7: Thank you?
Speaker 6: So I want to get someone a like a fruit tree or something like that that they can put on their patio and plant later. But they live in Brian Hollis Station. Is there a good okay nursery and nerbar? Is there a good fruit tree that you could recommend for that air.
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: There are a couple of places up there that do carry some fruit trees, not going to quite have the same selection as you would find if you know you're it's about an hour from from Arborgate up up to there, and so I would you're not gonna find a better selection of fruit they then Beverly has there at Arborgate. I think that's worth the drive just to have the selection that you're looking for. As far as the types, pretty much everybody likes peaches, that's a safe one to go with. They do require pruning and care, and so if this is somebody that wants the least care fruit they can have, then it might be something like a fig, a fig tree. You can grow satsuma oranges up in Brian College Station. You just occasionally need to throw a cover over the top. Once they get established, they're going to take it down in the low twenties and so without cover, and so that that would be a sis type of option. Plus they get the fragrances from it. I mean, there are a lot of other kinds of fruit, but those are just a few that come to my mind when I just think about either easy or very very popular, or or offering some extra bonuses in addition to the fruit that you get off of.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's a good option, thank you. I was thinking about some kind of citrus tree.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah. If you're going to give a citrus to someone in Brian Collis Station, it needs to be a setsuma. Now, there is a bush of a citrus called kumquat, and those are the little green, the little orange things the size of the end of your thumb that you basically make marmalade with because the skin tastes probably even better than the inside. They're heartier than satsumas. But it's a little bush and so a lot of people aren't wanting citrus for just marmalade.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, that works, thank you so much. I'll have to head head out to heart Gate.
Speaker 4: Then there you go, yeah, go down, and when you go there, they're going to tell you about some other things too.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: Another option. I don't know how much of a gift you want to make this, but if it was in a large container one of those looks like a half whiskey barrel, but it's it's plastic, you know, something with size on it, then you could be growing a mere lemon or even some types of limes. They just would have to roll them into the garage when it's going to get you know, below the upper twenties for sure.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, that could be Thanks, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Bye, yeah you bet bye bye. See here we're going to go now to Spring Branch and talk to Sally. Hey, Sally, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 8: Good morning.
Speaker 9: I'm concerned about by and ever littlest bulbs and irish bulbs, spider plants and wandering jew How can that particular?
Speaker 4: Okay, well, Emeralist is going to be fine. It's just that's what winner does. They die to the ground. It's not a problem. They'll be okay. You may find that they make it through. You know, in the in the city we have a little bit warmer temperatures than you do in the outskirts. There's that heat island effect of the city. If you want to throw a cover over them, just to protect that foliage that's there, you could throw any kind of a blanket or something over just to hole some of that warm soil heat in. But the bulbs won't be killed by this, nor will the iris bulbs be killed by this. They're pretty tough.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 4: The wandering jew is probably gonna gonna get top frozen, but it'll it won't die out completely again. A cover, just a sheet or blanket or anything over it, just to just to hold that soil heat in a little bit is going to be enough to get it through. If you don't want to have a lot of die back on the top.
Speaker 9: What about crotons.
Speaker 4: Crotons are very cold, tender, and you're gonna have to put a cover over them and then put light under them. And if you will, do you happen to be on Facebook by any chance? Yes, okay, fine, garden line Facebook page, my Facebook page, garden Line Facebook and I just posted yesterday a video on how to cover and this would apply very much to your crotons. It's a cover over it, a light under it, and it explains how did I explain how to do it? And I can do a better job if you watch that video than trying to describe it to you.
Speaker 9: Okay, any protection for the wandering jail or just leave it just a cover?
Speaker 4: Well you could leave it alone, or you could throw a cover over it to just maybe you know, not have freeze damage on the top part above ground parts and stuff.
Speaker 11: Oh I see.
Speaker 12: Alright, Well, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: All right you bet Sally, thanks for the call. Appreciate that. Are we on time? All right, We're good here. Let's go to Scott in Houston. Hey, Scott, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 5: Thanks. Yeah, I recently removed the shed from my backyard and I've got a big dirt patch back there. Is there anything I can put on their rye grass or something or which one do you suggest until I can resaw it in the spring.
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 4: You know, there's a couple of approaches to it. One would be to try to side, but then we're kind of late and if we have some cold weather that that rye grass is not going to grow much until it's we have milder temperatures. I think you might consider like a bail of hay that you just spread over across that as something to kind of walk on and maltz the ground, or even some bags of compost and mulch or mulch itself would make it something you you could walk on, wouldn't be so muddy, and things like that, and then you just rake that up when it's time to serve. But you could you could do the rye grass. I just think at this point, I don't know that you would get the size of rye grass plants that would accomplish what you want before it's about times but sawed down anyway.
Speaker 11: Yeah, okay, well, thank you, all.
Speaker 4: Right, you've got thank you appreciate that. I'll zip right through these here. We're going to go out now to Seabrook and talk to Carol. Hello, Carol, Hi, I.
Speaker 13: Have a potted manned vilia and it has decided to start blooming. So I'm wondering if I should just let it treze and you know, let it come up from the roots, or should I move it into the garage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know down at Seabrook, your your amount of cold is less. If it were me, I would move it into the garage because Vanderville as an almost tropical kind of plant and it's not going to take a lot of hard cold and in a pot. Now instead of the roots being insult the soil, those roots are exposed to essentially below thirty air temperatures and that you can get significant killing damage to the crown and roots of the plant too there. So I would roll that thing into the garage and that way you're on the safe side. Plus you don't lose all the top growth that you have.
Speaker 13: Okay, okay, I do have one more question, if I may, is there a day lily society.
Speaker 4: In the area, say that one more time, please a.
Speaker 13: Day lily society or club.
Speaker 4: There is. I don't have a contact for them. If I find that, I'll mention it on the air. But I'll tell you what. Let's do this. If anybody's listening from a daily society or group, give me a call on guarden Line and let us know about how people can get in touch with you. Well, we'll do it that way as well.
Speaker 13: Okay, okay, thank you very much. Have a good day.
Speaker 4: You you bet you as well. Thank you very much for the call. Appreciate that you All right, folks, there we go, we got that caught back up again. That's good. Let's see, we're looking at coming pretty close up to a a break here. I'm not going to get into let me think about Yeah, I'll tell you what I will. I will. I told you there was talk a little bit about some of the issues with pruning and plants. Pruning is a invigorating process. So when you prune, it causes new growth to take off and push out. And so although if you know, if it's freezing, there's not going to be much of that happening, but if you do it prior to a freeze, it actually is. There's a decrease in heartiness of the parts of the plant there that you're pruning, especially because it is going to push new growth. So I would not prune which is stimulating, prior to going into cold weather. And I don't mean just the day before, but I mean, you know, if you do it, we don't prune things in the fall for that reason. That's one reason you get a good hard freeze. So what you're going to want to do is hold off on that pruning until after the winner, and then cut all the dead stuff out and do the pruning at that point. Just go ahead, and sometimes the covering even helps protect underneath. I also did a video just a little while ago on leave your dead antanas and dead Mexican heather tops and things because they are protecting the plant's base. We'll be right back, all right, Welcome back to Guardline. If you're planning any fishing in the dark, you better be getting it done while it's dark now, because it's fixing to get cold and we're going to get some wind in here and the chills are going to be a little high to be up there. And I have been up on a lake with the wind blowing, and I can tell you this, it's better bring an extra coat for that. Well, you're listening to garden Line. We're here to help you have a more beautiful landscape, a bountiful garden, and like I like to say, it more fun in the process. That's important, you know, it's not. Some people get real I don't know, anxious about trying to garden. And I've had gosh, I have so many people tell me like, yeah, I tried that and it didn't work. And I can just tell they just feel like frustrated and that's too hard. I can't do it. I don't have a green thumb. Nope, no, no, none of that is true. None of you you. It's your thumb doesn't have a color. If you want to say brown and green thumbs, then I'll say it this way. All you need is to educate your thumb, and it makes it turn from brown to green. That's how that works. Grandma the reason she could do anything in the garden. It seemed to grow everything she touched. It's because you know how to take our plants. She just had some base sick understanding of what plants need and she provided them that along with picking plants that are going to do well in the area. And that just makes it look like you have a green thumb. So let's let's get that thumb educated. Give me a call. Seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H. We will talk about the kinds of things that are of interest to you. Answer those gardening questions. Uh RCW RCW nursery. You've probably been there many times before, but it's the one right there where Beltway eight and Highway two forty nine Tomball Parkway come together. They have gotten in their roses. And when RCW gets in roses, it is it is like an invasion. I mean, they have over two hundred varieties of the finest roses you're going to find in Houston, and they're available bars now two forty nine and belt wag eight. That's where you go by the way. They're open Monday through Friday seven am to four pm, today, eight am to five pm, and tomorrow ten am to five pm. So go by there and get that. I got a copy of that. In fact, I printed out you can do this off their website RCW nurseries dot com. I printed out their roselist, and I mean it is a chart that tells you about each rose, what growth hapen of row is a climber or a shrub ros for example? What class is a grand of flora, a Flora bunda. You know that kind of thing, whether it's fragrant or not, how big it gets a disease resistance. And let's see turn it over here, almost six pages like five and three quarter pages of roses. Yeah, two hundred. So if you're looking for a rose and you want some selection, and you want some people that know roses. RCWZ RCW nurseries dot Com. Again easy to get to Timball parkway bo wait eight, just put it in your maps and head that way. Grab you some really quality plants. Of course, they have a lot of other kinds of plants. They have some frost clout there as well. Of course they're ready to go on that. You need fertilizers to go along with the plants you purchased. They've got that other kind of supplies and good advice. They know what they're doing, very very important. RCW. Let's see, we're going to head out and now to Manville, Texas or Manville and talk to Patty. Hey, Patty, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 9: Hi.
Speaker 14: How are you this morning?
Speaker 4: I'm well thanks.
Speaker 14: I have a question about where I can send soil samples locally. Are there companies in the Houston area that will test my lawn soil to see why my Santa Augustine grass keeps dying?
Speaker 10: All right?
Speaker 15: Well that's that keeps dying.
Speaker 4: Well, that's several questions in one. What what I would recommend you do is is send it. Just send it to the soil lab. It's I mean, it just up at college station. You can mail it if you don't want to drive it up there, you certainly can mail it in if you go to my website gardening with Skip dot com. There is a publication on soil testing tells you how to take a sample. It's very important that you take the sample right when you send it in. They have just hundreds of thousand dollars worth of equipment that will do a much better job of analyzing soil. Then you know, these little kits you buy, or maybe someone sticks their own pH meter or in it or something. You'll get a much better answer to it. And you can just do the standard soil test. When you get the results, if you want, you can email them to me and I could take a look at them and then call in and we'll disc us what you might need. If you're Saint Augustine is struggling, though, Patty, I would think soil would be probably about five down the list of what's likely a mount of sunlight, the watering diseases, insects, those are all more important than soil, I mean, than the nutrient.
Speaker 14: We treated it for everything. Since we had a chinch bug infestation, and then we got you know, associated farm dyeing whatnot. Because it was weakened from that. We have treated it with everything we can think of, and it just it keeps dying.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll tell you what we need. Yeah, those are great products. You need to We probably need to take this kind of a month at a time, going into it and look at what's happening at that time. Do you have you ever seen my schedule online or printed it out?
Speaker 14: Oh no, I haven't.
Speaker 4: Okay, if you go to gardening, yes, okay, Well you may have one that Randy had done. I've done one that has multiple colors and goes into all of the different things. You might just check and make sure you have the most current one that that is gardening with skip dot com. If you look on there as you go across, it tells you when chinch bugs might be attacking, It tells you when sod webworms might be attacking, when to treat for take all root rot, when to treat for brown patch or gray leaf spot or whatever. And I think looking at that timing is going to be very important. And then be careful when you use products that prevent weeds or that kill existing weeds. If you misuse them in application or in timing of it, you can cause problems that also weaken your lawn and make it more likely to have to be killed by something like that.
Speaker 14: Okay, all right, well I'll print that out and we'll change it over to that schedule. And I've often thought that I'd rather not use any products that prevent we just pull them up.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you for getting Yeah, and as you go into twenty twenty five launch season, anytime you see a problem, take a picture, send it to me, and then give me a call. Let's let's get to the bottom of it, because I think we can solve this. Thank you very much for the call. I have to run to break you. Take care. We'll be right back. Folks. Hey, welcome back to garden Line. Glad to have you with us. We have got a lot of stuff to talk about. We have got all kinds of things talk about regarding the freeze and whatnot. Before I do that, though, I just want to bring up a topic that you're probably not thinking about today, and that is the foundation of your house. The Houston soils, the heavy clay, the black Houston clay soil, and the other kinds of soils that have a lot of shrink and swell potential can wreck havoc on your sidewalks and your foundations and certainly your driveways as well and fixed. MYSH Lab Foundation Repair is the company you need to call if you have any kinds of questions about that. Ty Strickland is native Houstonian, fifth generation Texan. As a matter of fact, he has been doing this for twenty three to actually twenty four years now and he knows what he's doing. So you know signs of this. Of course, you see the visible, like when your sidewalk heaves or your driveway heaves up. But inside the house, you'll notice sticking doors. You know, they stick sometimes and they don't stick sometimes that's movement. You'll see cracks. Typically they start at the corner of a window, but they could be anywhere, could be in the ceiling, can be you know, all over on the outside. He cracks in the brick. Those are all signs you need to call Ty, and he will not oversay you on this. I have called him before and asked him questions about things, said, you know what, that's not worth even having to worry about. That's that's a normal amount of movement. We're not going to worry about that. That's okay. So that's that's kind of how he is. He's honest, he's on time. If he says he's going to show up, he shows up, and he shows up when he's going to show up. If he fixes it, the price is going to be fair and he's going to fix it, right, And what more can you ask for? Fixmislab dot com as his website. Here's the phone number two eight one two five five forty nine forty nine. Two eight one two fi five forty nine forty nine. Now write that down. And you may have friends or family or whatever and you're at their house and you see this and you go, hey, I Skip talks about this guy all the time. He says he's honest, he does good work and reasonably priced. Give them the phone number. Because foundation problems are not something you want to put off. Don't stick your head in the sound like an ostrich. Just go ahead and call them, find out, and you will know exactly what you need to do to protect one of the largest investments you've ever made that's in your home. Let's head out to sugar Land and we're going to talk to Lynn. Hey Lynn, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 7: Hi, good morning.
Speaker 16: Yes, I want to know do I need to cover my back boxwoods and my.
Speaker 4: Hedges box woods? Probably not. I don't know what what other kinds of plants do you do you have that you're wondering about?
Speaker 16: The wax leaf, lagostrum.
Speaker 4: M generally not you your way. You know, sugar Land is pretty far away from where it's going to get the kinds of cold where we would expect a lot of burn. If you wanted to throw, you know, something over the top just to kind of hold hold some of the heat of the soil in there, you could do it. It's it's not going to be the kind of cold probably that you get the damage in your area that would really say no, you've got to get out there and cover these things. So if you've got if it's easy enough to do, you can get to it, go ahead and do it. Prevent a little bit of leaf burn and some of that kind of thing.
Speaker 16: Well, I had some wonderful friends who came yesterday and we covered all my high biscus and my burn of paradise, hoping that all that and I didn't even look at the hedges, and I thought, oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: Well the ones you covered, No, the ones you covered are much more coal sensitive than the hedges you mentioned. So I think you're gonna be all.
Speaker 16: Right, Okay, great, have a good day, all.
Speaker 4: Right you two. Our phone number is seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H. I'ld like to give us a call. Uh the if you if you've not been by plants for all seasons there on two forty nine Timball Parkway. That is, it is the kind of place you go where you not only have the selection of plants that really do well here, they will not sell you something that doesn't do well here. But you've got the expertise to help you have success with those plants. And that is very very important when when you're looking at you know, what's wrong with this plant? How do I plant this plant? What would be a good plant to go with this other plant to look good? How can I get something for this shady spot over here that you know? Blah blah blah. Whatever your question is, you go in there and you're gonna get help. You throw you got a problem, clip it off, throw it in a baggie and take it in and say what's going on here? Throw a bug in a bag if you want take a picture on your phone. Go in there. They've got the expertise, they know what they're doing. I mean, they've been doing this since nineteen seventy three. They are true lawn and go garden Experts, as they like to say, get your green on at Plants for All Seasons. I think that's a good way to put it. Doesn't matter if you're a master gardener or a first timer. They're going to be able to help you from education to selection to delivery planting. They even do custom potting their True Lawn and Garden Experts Plants for All Seasons dot com two eight one, three, seven six sixteen forty six. Say hey to Sherry and the rest of the Flowery family when you head over to Plants for All Seasons. We uh one of the one of my favorite things to be able to do is visit with gardeners, and that's exactly what we're doing here this morning with you.
Speaker 17: UH.
Speaker 4: If you want to give me a call seven one three two one two KTRH, we can do that. We're coming up on a break here. I'm going to take a call real quick and then we can take your calls. You may be the first up if if you want a call now and hang on until we come back from break. Let's head out now to Cypress and talk to Melanie. Hello, Melanie.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 18: Oh no, Randy Yip got a question.
Speaker 8: That's what my familia is.
Speaker 19: They've got all these they're starting to bloom now, so I was going to go ahead and cover them.
Speaker 11: Should I put some heat under there.
Speaker 5: To try to keep those just a lost call for the blooms?
Speaker 4: Well, now you protect them a little heat, would I did a video It's on my Facebook page. It's the garden Line facebook page. A video just posted yesterday that shows you how to properly cover a plant and how to put heat under it and what to watch out for. So I'm going to refer you to that because it'll give you a better answer than I have in the short time we have before break here. But I would do that. Make sure the break goes all the cover goes all the way to the ground. Don't wrap the camellia like a lollipop, don't wrap it around the trun let the cover goes straight down. You need to get some weights to hold that cover down, whether you scubas soiled, Okay, whatever it takes, you gotta hold it down because we're gonna have breezes it'll blow it right off of there. And then the lighting is the extra. You probably don't need the lighting, but just to be safe to protect the blooms and things, I would put at least one hundred and fifty watt flood lamp bulb on a clamp light. I don't think you need a heat lamp under there for this. And now, if it's a huge plant, it comes down to this, Melanie, what's the volume of air you're trying to warm up? You know, if it were a little plant, one hundred and fifty what we find. If it was a big, old giant thing, you're gonna need blood, heat lamps inder there to do it.
Speaker 18: So just watch it.
Speaker 4: It'll really tell you what you need. Yeah. Also on my website Gardening with Skip dot com, there's that publication in a freeze protection. Thank you man, good luck protecting those all right, folks. One hour in the books, we'll be back with your calls.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Kate r. H. Garden Line with Skip, Richard's.
Speaker 20: Shoes, Gas Trip just watch him as many.
Speaker 21: Things to seep blot basingsta not a sid gas.
Speaker 3: The sun beamon done.
Speaker 4: All right, welcome back, Glad to have you with us here on garden Line. We are looking at a cold spell coming through here. It's gonna be a long one too. Some areas are going to have below freezing temper days or nights that drip down below dip down below freezing for about five nights, and so it depends on where you live. In the listening area. We've got varying degrees of cold. The bottom line is going to be cold for a long time, and so you need to be ready for that. Get those things done ahead of time, get ready to go so you're when you do go out there and try to protect your plants. You've got the supplies and things that you need on hand. That is important. I was the other day looking around at some supplies I had in my storage shed, and I couldn't find some things that I thought I had. I think they may have gotten thrown away or something like that. Anyway, I thought I was ready to go for yesterday to load up some stuff, get it prepared and ready for the freeze. And sure enough I'm not so anyway, got to do it, get some of those supplies. Picked up a couple of things yesterday, so I'm good to go now. Anyway, this week, someone who was it I think Ronnie. Yeah, ron had emailed me talking about his memories of feed store growing up, and you know, the the fragrance of the feed store, you know, it's that pleasant, enjoyable feed store experience. And he was bragging on D and D feed He loves going in there, visiting with Jeff and and of course that's understandable. It's a great place. They take good care of you in there. But I love going into feed stores, you know that. I just there is a there's a certain ambiance and fragrance to a feed store that I just really enjoy. I grew up raising animals for this dock show, and so that was part of the experience. We had a little small cattle operation, and so we were often taking care of the cows going in, taking care of getting the things that we needed. But D and D is that kind of feed store, you know, any kind of feed you can imagine they're going to have, by the way, they have their onion transplants and their seed potatoes in at D and D. And it is time to get those in the ground. You know, not to plant them today right for the hard freeze, but go ahead and get them, get the bundles, because what happens is they get picked over and they sell out in time. So go ahead and get those there. And they carry the kinds of onions, the kinds of potatoes you need for your garden when you're there. While you're there, you're going to find a good supply of heat lamps and the little shields that can hold the heat lamps and the flood lamps too, not just the heat By the way, when you're purchasing a shield, a clamp on shield for a lamp, if it's a heat lamp, you know they kind of have the red glass cover. You need to get a quality when don't put it in a little dinky shield. They're not made to hold that. You need the kind with a little ceramic a place where you screw the bulbin. But when you go by D and D, they can explain to you what you need and what will work. You know, if you need to wrap your pipes, they got the stuff of that too, and certainly all the supplies for your lawn and garden, from fertilizers to pesticide to weak controlled disease control. Everything they've got all that there, uh and a really nice selection of high quality pet food and other kinds of supplies that the pets like as well. D and Defeed. Oh, by the way, whereas it D and Defeed is on twenty nine to twenty west to Tomball. So if you're in the big middle of Tomball from two forty nine, you just head out twenty nine to twenty to the west and you do not have to go out very far, and D and D be right there on your left hand side, and you will enjoy it when you go. I can tell you that they treat you right. You were listening to Garden Line. A phone number is seven one three two one two KTRH. If you'd like to give me a call, we'd be happy to visit with you about the kinds of questions that you might have out in the garden. I've got some soil work that I need to do, and that's kind of been postponed a combination of some real wet conditions where I couldn't get in there without slashing through some muddy areas. I'm going to be getting that done because I'm putting in some fruit tree and I'm also revamping a section of my vegetable garden where I need to add some soil in, mix it up and get those beds ready to go, and don't plant until you get the soil ready. It's very important to have the soil right first. If you've listened to Garden Line once, you've heard me say brown stuff before green stuff. And that's the simplest way I can put the fact that you need to get the soil right before you put the plants in very important, especially for plants that are going to be there a while. You know, an annual maybe in for a season, part of a season, and then you pull it out. So that's not you can always fix it after you that season if you need to. But when you're putting in something like a perennial or a shrub, a rose bush, or fruit trees and things, those are long term and so you've got to get that soil right for those kinds of plants, and that is very important to be able to do that. If you're doing planting, By the way, I would recommend that when you put the plant in, you put a quality drench over that root ball. And we are in the big middle of planting season for perennials and for woody ornamentals especially. There certainly are annuals and herbs and things we can plant now. But I'm talking about a product like has to Grow six twelve six. Has to Grow six twelve six is a combination product by the folks at Medina. By the way they carry Medina products there at d and de Feed, as well as a lot of other quality brands. The has to Grow six to twelve six has Medina Soil Activator in it. That's a product in and of itself that stimulates biological activity. It's got humate, which is humic acid, improves your soil structure, helps with nutrient more effective nutrient update as that happens. It's got seaweed extracts in it. You can use it as a folier spray. But I'm talking about right now being planting season. When you put a plant in the ground, drench that plant after you plant with it. Or what I will do sometimes is just have a little container and I take the plant out of the pot and set it in the container, and I can feel that container full of a root soak like has to grow six twelve six, and you just let that soak into the root ball, put it in the ground, and you've done your work. You're ready to go. You can do another drench a week later. You can do another drench a week later. After that, you can do all three of those, helping that plant get well established. NaSTA grows six twelve six has many uses. One is the planting use. I'm talking about transplanting use. One is just going into the flower bed or the vegetable garden and drenching it down the row. That's legit, and then there's full of your applications, not gonna burn your plants. You use about a tablespoon per gallon and just spray the foliage with your plant. Now, that's primarily I use that during the growing season as things are warming up and plants are starting to grow. Not so important to do the folier right now, although you can. Some people believe that it does help with some of the cold heartiness and things like that, so I totally would support that approach to it as well. Well, let's do this. I'm going to head out to Cypress now and we're going to visit with Joe, Hey, Joe, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 7: Hello Skip. I have a few questions. First is on asparagus. I planted asparagus for the first time in my organic garden, and so now it's like six em feet tall, but it's starting to get brownish and some of the tall you might be familiar with asparagus, like, some people cut it down for the winner and some people just let it go. I have straw around the base of it now, so just let it go through this cold period.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would definitely for sure now if this cold period were to kill back the tops even more, which up in Cyprus, I bet it does. Go ahead and then cut it down and get ready to begin a harvest asparagus. We are so far south that asparagus doesn't know what to do with our weather. If you were to go if you were to go up, you know, if you were to go up into warmer, I mean further north, asparagus does really well, you know, Joe. They're telling me I'm hitting a hard break. Will you hang on just a second. I want to spend some more time on this with you, and I'll pick you right back up when we come back from break.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 4: All right, folks, welcome back to Guardline. I'm going to head back out and continue the conversation that we have going with Joe. Hey, Joe, welcome back. So we're talking about asparagus, and I was just making the point that further north, we have long cold winter, asparagus dies to the ground and stays dormant and all the stored carbohydrates then when it does come out in the spring produce nice, strong, thick, healthy spears for a good while. Down here, it just kind of keeps going in the winter and never really dies back well, and so we don't get the volume of harvests that you would further north. So what we kind of have to do is cut it back and create that top freeze back event. And if after this freeze at some point, I would just cut all the dead or whether dead or not, the top growth back and begin your harvests. It's a little early for that because we're probably gonna get some more freezes, but I still if you want to, if you want to get going on it, you could cut that top back and start your harvest season well after the freeze.
Speaker 7: Okay, that's good. I was thinking of putting some straw around. I have some straw ready around it right now for the cold, I thought, and to get it through, help get it through. And then it's only the first year, so they say, wait, maybe to the second or third, Well the third d yes, that's right through the same process.
Speaker 4: So okay, all right, yeah, that's absolutely that's absolutely true.
Speaker 7: Okay, good, good, good. And two peach trees. Do you think I'm gonna cover them up with some I have like they call plankets or blankets, like do you think that a peach trees?
Speaker 4: Are your peaches? Are the buds swelling or are they still dorm fully dormant?
Speaker 7: They're dormant. Now the trees they're only about okay, some tall. Now they they're one year old.
Speaker 4: Basically all right, no need to cover them. Don't worry about them. They're good. Okay. They have buds where you could see pink. If they had blues under one, I would cover them.
Speaker 7: Oh okay, okay, in variegated Pitt's form. It's like a shrub kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Cover that that is actually little coal tender. And what will happen is not just the killing of the leaves, but you'll get splits in the trunk at the base underneath of those plants when they get ural cold. I would definitely cover those, put a cover over them to the ground, weigh it down on the ground so it doesn't blow off, and a cover should be sufficient in your area to get them through the cold we're going to have. But yes, I would cover the barrigated pit of s form. Thank you so much. All right, man, good luck getting all that taken care of. Appreciate you call. We're gonna go out to the port now and talk to JC. Hey, JC, what's up?
Speaker 22: Good good morning. I have a question on some soil testing. I've got eighteen raised beds, four twelve and they just don't seem to be producing like they used to. One bed will have giant green foliage and the other one will be squatty looking. And over the years I've added composts and organics as I could get my hands on them and whatnot, and I just feel like, right now it's not producing like it should be, and I want to know where I can get some tests done and how to do it. Is it going to be one the charge for each bed or should I just take a sample from each bed?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, no, it's it's per sample that you pay for it, but it is well worth it, especially a troubleshoot, the fact that one bed does good and another bed does not. So I would, because you tend to fertilize crops in a vegetable garden by the bed you even have tomatoes in this bed, and I don't know green beans in the other. Well, you're not gonna put some nitrogen on your green beans as you do on your tomatoes, and so over time those bed levels are going to get different, and you know, and so I would, I would fertilize. Make a note though, to yourself. You can you can say sample one A is good and maybe use a letter A for good or B for bad if you want.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: And they don't need to know that. But when you get the results back, you'll go, oh, this is from the bed that didn't do good, and this is from the bed that did do good.
Speaker 5: A and M still do it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, that's that's the best place I would recommend for getting your soil tested. And the website is really easy. It's the it's one word soil testing, soil testing and then dot T A m U which stands for Texas and M University t A m U dot e ed U sell Testing dot TAMU dot ed U. You want here's the important part, and I do this in the on my website. I've got a soil testing publication at Gardening with skip dot com that tells you about this. But you want to make sure your sample is a good representative of that whole bed. So take some here, some there, you know, put and mix them together, and then take your pint of soil out of that to send in. You want to use the urban soil test. There's agriculture seal test, it just said, and then there's an urban salt test. You want the urban because on that form it'll allow you to say this is roses, or this is vegetables, or this is lawn, you know, and that's the urban and use that form. You can do the regular, which is fine if you want to go a little further, which if you haven't had to soil test in a long time, you might do the regular. Plus the micro nutrients costs a little bit more. But that way, if iron or zinc or some other thing like that is an issue, you'll know it.
Speaker 22: Okay, you don't have an all time better how much less yards you know, I haven't had it done.
Speaker 4: That's a good question. Yeah, let me, uh, let me see what we're talking. I'll just go I'll just go check and see that. I'm going to guess, but I don't want to guess. Things change on me, and then i'd be I'd be lying to you.
Speaker 5: We're on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, I can tell you about two seconds here anyway. But when the results do come in, you're going to want to make sure and do all those amendments, mix them down as far far as you can down into the soil. And when you do that, then you're going to be able to have a good, even uniform soil test. Now that the routine analysis at A and M is twelve dollars, the routine plus micro nutrients is nineteen dollars. That's the current.
Speaker 18: Okoyd, all right, sir, I appreciate you.
Speaker 4: All right, you take care.
Speaker 18: I have a good one.
Speaker 4: As well. Thank you. Oh where are we here? Yeah, we're going to go to Orange and talk to Susan. Hey, Susan, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 11: Thank you, thank you, Skipp And just a note, I'm no longer in Orange. We've moved to for Glynn. A question for you the first thing. I found this nasty weed in my yard yesterday. I emailed you pictures of it, wondering what it is and how what I need to do to get rid of it.
Speaker 4: Uh, you sent me pictures of it. Let me go put good it up? Did you say, did you say, Brooklyn?
Speaker 11: Yes, it's right near Sam right.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 4: Okay? Are you listening on the radio or about on the internet?
Speaker 11: I am well no, I can't get it on the radio anymore.
Speaker 15: Time listening to it through I hearts.
Speaker 4: Okay. Would this have come from MG? Yes, Okay, that weed is Uh, it's It's called pig weed or amaranth is another name for it, and it is a prolific receder. One amaranth plant can make two hundred thousand seed. That's what you're up now. So you got to if you if you get all those out of there, all try to not shake them a lot, because all the ones that are mature, you're just gonna shake the seeds loose in the ground, off onto the ground. Get as much of it out as you can, and then it's not gonna shouldn't be a problem until we get back to warm weather and it starts re sprouting a lot then, and all you need is a good mult over the soil and it will not come up if you if you shade the soil surface really well.
Speaker 15: Okay, perfect, all right, we'll do that.
Speaker 11: Also, I tuned in like this morning, so you may have already covered this. But as far as the freeze, I've got guardenas and dwarf as alias that we find to do about six months ago. Do I need to cover.
Speaker 4: Vm, you know, just to be safe? I would, Uh, They're probably going to be okay, especially the azalia, but a new plant isn't as hardy asn't a state abolished plant of the same species. It just doesn't work that way, So I would, I would, I would give them a cover just to be safe. You're you're you're north up in sam Rayburns.
Speaker 11: So yes, yes we are, we are.
Speaker 4: What is your what's your forecast? Uh for the coldest Tuesday?
Speaker 11: Well it's it's going to get cold. I'm not as cold as county where we used to be, but we definitely will have a hard freeze, possible snow.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, Well I'd be safe and cover them, all.
Speaker 11: Right, And one one last thing quick quickly skipped last weekend you said it was good, good time to plant the Amarilla's bulbs, and.
Speaker 15: So we did.
Speaker 11: Yes, Is that going to be an issue?
Speaker 4: Oh no, not at all. They're they're fine bulbs you just put in the ground. They're going to be perfectly Okay, you don't have to you have to worry about them.
Speaker 11: Okay, okay, great, right, thanks, Skip, have a good day. I enjoy your show.
Speaker 4: You bet, Okay, take care, Bobby. All right, it's time for me to run to a break, folks, so I'll be right back with your calls at seven one three two one two KTRH. All right, folks, welcome back. Good to have you with us. A number of things to talk about this morning. You know, the landscape's gonna look a little rough when we get out of the freeze. It's just the way it is. And uh, this may be a good time for you to consider some renovations. I For example, maybe you got some plants that are a little bit too cold tender. They're just not going to be good for the long term for you. Maybe you're looking at your landscapes and it's kind of bleak. I could use some more evergreen bushes here there. You know, there's a lot of things we can do to make our landscapes better, but I tell you peerscapes can take care of all of it. Pierscapes they do everything from landscape design. If you want to like create a landscapeer on your pool, they're very good at that. If you have poor drainage areas, maybe you need some French drains installed, pier scapes can they got you covered. They absolutely are professionals when it comes to landscape designing, landscape installation. They even do seasonal maintenance. You know, come have them come out every quarter and do maintenance in your garden beds. You know, do some weeding or adding fresh mulch out, checking the irrigation, make sure everything's working. Doing color changes, you know, from one type of flower to another type of flower as the season's change. They can do a dry creek bread bed, so you know, you get the extra rain and the water is just kind of gully washing off in an area. Create a dry creek bed and it's attractive, and yet it's a channel that when we do have too much water, it can drain away. Those are just a few examples of what peer scapes can do. You really have to just go to their website site Peerscapes dot com, pier Scapes one word, pierscapes dot com. Check out the work they do if you want to give them a call. Two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty. Now is a good time where the season is still a little distance away. It's time to go ahead and start that process and have them come out and do magic to your place. Oh and by the way, if you need landscape lighting, they are awesome at creating beautiful landscape lighting around your home, around your pool, around your patio, you name it. I'm going to head out to Richmond now and we're going to talk to Karen. Hey, Karen, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 23: Good morning, Skip.
Speaker 11: I'm out in the garden this morning.
Speaker 19: Pronouncing distances on those things I'm not going to attempt to save and okay, a way of salvation for the ones that I am. My question is on my broccoli crop I have here. I've cut the heads that I believe you know are completely ready. I have quite a few that are nice that they're not as large as I would normally like to get them. Do I need to cover those?
Speaker 8: Will?
Speaker 5: Be? Okay?
Speaker 4: Well, it would help to when broccoli is cold hardy, like all those blue leaf vegetables are. But when you have a really good hard freeze, especially the areas in between the veins on the leaves, you'll get burned back there, you get some burn and the broccoli heads, those little buds will get cold damage to them, and so I would especially be concerned about the heads. So just throwing any kind of a cover over them, just to hold a little soil warmth in it should be sufficient for the kind of cold that you're going to be getting.
Speaker 19: The ones that I have cut. Should I go ahead and pull the plant.
Speaker 4: Out, well, they will re sprout and you will get side shoots from below where you cut. They won't be big heads, but they'll be worth and keeping them to harvest those.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 19: I only have two rows of this and they've done so well. Another question is in the same bed, I planted two little rows of broccoli, and I skipped a row, and then I planted cauliflowers. The cauliflower. I have beautiful plants. You wouldn't couldn't ask for more beautiful plants, but they have not made a single head of cauliflower.
Speaker 3: What the broccoli? She's gone.
Speaker 4: Well, the two possibilities. Number one, it's not cauliflower. Sometimes I have bought I had a friend one time who bought collars and he was eating the leaves off the colors, and all of a sudden they started producing broccoli heads because it was really broccoli. But the cauliflower, just give it time. You should get some heads forming in the interior of that. It just may take a little bit more time for some reason.
Speaker 19: Okay, should I cover them? I mean I did not cover them well, and they seem to have done well.
Speaker 4: But yeah, well this one's going to be a little bit colder, so you know, like the broccoli, if you want to be safe, throw a cover over them. It may be that they'll get through just fine. But we're gonna get kind of cold, so I would I would be a little safe on it.
Speaker 19: Okay, okay, well all right.
Speaker 4: Hey, you got some happy birds there. I hear happy birds. I wonder, I wonder what kind of birds those are? They are happy to be in the garden.
Speaker 19: This neighborhood that is a very old neighborhood. And I've only been here about three years, and I've taken down some old trash trees that you know, they weren't good trees to create more light for my garden. But my neighbors have consider.
Speaker 5: Fifty years old.
Speaker 19: I mean they're huge, and the birds just flock, you know, they're in the neighbor's yard. I keep out some feed and stuff around. But yes, of a morning, I'm surprised you're not hearing the roosters. They're not quite out for it because several of them.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, all right, Well if hey, if you want something cool, there's an app called Merlin, as in Merlin the Magician, and this Merlin app you It's free from Cornell University. It's free and you can tell it listen and tell me what bird that is, and it will listen and tell you what bird is making that sound I'm hearing in the book. It's pretty cool app. Anyway, you want to have some fun, you may check that out. Hey, and thank you for thank you for calling in this morning. I'm all run, but I appreciate it.
Speaker 19: Good luck with the get to cover in these things takes me in most people. I'm a little older to be gardening.
Speaker 4: So you oh no, no, no, you're never too old. A garden gardening keeps you young.
Speaker 19: You do slow down.
Speaker 4: So yeah, all right, bye bye, all right, folks, I'm right up on a break right here, Wesley. We're going to come to you and Lawrence when we come back from this break. Just hang on, we'll be right back with you. All right, we're back. Welcome to garden Line again. We are going to head now out to Lawrence and talk to Wesley. Hey, Wesley, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 18: Hello.
Speaker 15: All right, So my question is I have planets some craig myrtles me October and that last freeze we had, I left them wrapped probably a little too long in blue tarp and not knowing I should have used burlap or something like that, and I unwrapped them and the leaves are crunchy. Uh. I was wondering if possibly did I kill them because the inside of the tarp may have gotten too hot on those warmer days.
Speaker 4: I am not sure I'm following. What could you elaborate a little bit more on this? Did you say crape myrtle.
Speaker 15: Crape myrtles?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, sir, uh.
Speaker 4: Huh okay, And it was under a tarp and it's it's.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 15: I wrapped them when it got cold, and I put three steaks around it, those labs, and I wrapped it really good and that blue tarp like that plastic material, and uh, there was pretty much no airflow. And I may have left them wrapped too long, and I know I got the temperature got way above freezing, and whenever I did uncover them, the leafs are really crunchy.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, yeah, that's hard to say, but it could be the heat also from building up in there. I don't know on that, but basically, when you're are you wanting to cover them again for the cold that's coming.
Speaker 15: Or what yeah I need. Yeah, I was gonna go ahead and cover them. But if I may have killed them, I might may not wrap them. It might be hard to say. I had to wait till I guess marks when they start, if they start blooming, I know they're alive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think they're probably gonna be. Okay, you can take your thumbnail and scratch back. Find a little stem that's about size of a pencil or something. Just scratch the bark back on it. And if you see a little bit of a green or creamy white color, it's fine. If you see pecan brown or paper sack brown, it's dead. Uh. So that it should be showing that by now. But when you ever you cover a plant, you want to just put a cover over the whole plant and straight down to the side. Don't wrap them up.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 4: And and if it's something like a tarp, just leave it on overnight and take it off the next day to allow sun in and air and you know, to ventilation that is, and then you can put it back down on it again the next day. Are you it, says Lawrence, Are you up in the Dallas.
Speaker 15: Area, No, sir, I'm an orange orange Taxas.
Speaker 4: Oh orange, okay, okay, okay, got you got youa. I just had it wrong, all right, Yeah, no Orange, that's fine. Yeah. And you should never have to cover a crape myrtle an orange Texas.
Speaker 15: Okay, even with it being so young. Yeah October okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it should be fine. They're hardy now, there's nothing wrong with covering them. It's just great. Myrtles are pretty hardy. The only time we run into problems with creat myrtles is when we have a real warmfall and then suddenly we get like into the teens, that hits real suddenly and they're not ready for it. We have seen those kind of problems before.
Speaker 15: Okay, right, one more question. I have a rosebush that's four years old. Should I be rapping? Should I go ahead and wrap that one as well?
Speaker 4: You shouldn't have to if it's got tender new If it has tender new growth coming out. Roses are willing to grow in some pretty cold weather, and if it sends out some tender growth, I would cover it to protect that. If it's gonna get what is your predicted temperature Tuesday, the coldest it's gonna get.
Speaker 15: I believe low twenty.
Speaker 4: I believe, yeah, yeah, if it's gonna just to be safe, if you want to cover it, if it has new growth, if it's not really pushing new growth already, then I would I would just leave it. It should be fine.
Speaker 15: Okay, all right, well, thank you.
Speaker 4: All right, thanks appreciate that call. You take care. Let's see here, we're gonna go to Candy and Spring. Hey Candy, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Skip.
Speaker 24: I have a ton of iris that because of the warm weather, have all come up and they're big.
Speaker 23: Do I need to cover those or will they survive?
Speaker 4: They'll survive. You may get a little cold damage on them. I've never tried to take an iris into you know, the kinds of temperatures we have, and paid attention to that with with new growth. But I think I think that they'll be fine. You shouldn't need to cover them with the temperatures we're having. If it's getting down, you know, down weigh in the teens, maybe we would think about it a little bit. But I think you're all.
Speaker 24: Right, okay, very good, thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And even if they get burned back, they're gonna come right back just fine. All right, Thank you, Kenny. Appreciate appreciate that very much.
Speaker 18: Boy.
Speaker 4: I tell you, the folks that enchanted forest are ready to go on the freeze. I mean they've got the frost cloth by the foot. By the way. That's a nice way to buy it, because you just roll out this big roll and you know, you say, I want twenty feet of it or I want five feet of it, I mean, whatever you want, They'll roll it right out there and you can get out there. It's like it's they have the heavy kind, the kind that is better at holding in heat and with frost colth. You don't have to take it off every day. You can you can leave it on for a few days if you need to, We're not going to have that much cold, but if you if, we are going to have several nights below freezing, so you can just cover it and leave it on till you take it off, really really good. They also have got a nice selection of camellia still. If you need color like pansies and flowering kale, they've got that. They've got some dowar feupon Holly's Little Nana Nana, a variety that does so well here, and a lot of other things. And by the way, Enchanted just kind of a little news out there from Enchended. Enchanted just had Danny Millican join the team. He probably heard Danny before. He has been around this area for a long time, got a good horticulture background, done a lot of environmental education, sustainable design. It just brings a lot of years of experience to that team out there at Enchanted Forest. He's going to be working on educational programs out there at Enchanted enhancing the experience for visitors and supporting their conservation initiatives that are going on. So stop, I say hello to Danny out there at Enchanted Forest, and we look forward to working with Danny as well in the months to come. You are listening to Gardenline our phone number seven one three two one two k t r H seven to one three two one two k t r H. By the way, Enchended Forest is on FM twenty seven fifty nine out there in Richmond, Texas. It's a great nursery to go visit. And again, I just want to one more thing. Don't forget they got that rollout long rolls of frost cloth that can really help you with the frost that we're about to get. They're going to be with me at the Home and Garden show that's coming up down there in the the Richmond Rosenberg area, and I'm really looking forward to getting out and doing that very soon. It's next Saturday, next next Saturday, so you want to come out and see us there. I'll talk about that more in a little bit here. It's never a bad time to prepare your soil. It's always a good time to prepare your soil. Nature's Way resources they know how to prepare your soil. You go out there, talk to Ian, talk to any of the staff out there, and they can get you fixed up with rose soil, with leaf mole compost with various types of quality mulches. You can go out and buy it and pick it up on your trailer or pickup. You can have them deliver it, and a lot of areas around town will sell many of their products by the bag as well. Nine three six, three two one sixty nine ninety. They're up I forty five right where fourteen eighty eight comes in from Magnolia. You turn right, cross the railroad tracks and that is there street. Right there Sherwood Circle right there in that area, Nature's way resources well worth your visit. Uh sit here, looking at my watch, it looks like we're about to go to a break here. I should hear music starting out pretty quick here, So I've quit talking. Just remember that if everybody's going to be hole up inside because it is getting really cold. But you need to get ready because spring preps. We are in the middle of spring prep. There's there's planting to be done, there's soil building to be done. You need to get those pruning chores done. Its best to prune before the plants begin their growth in the spring. If you miss it, you can prune a little bit later, it's fine, But go ahead and get the pruning chores done. We're gonna be talking about pruning, uh and not this weekend. But once we get past those freeze, I'll start talking a little bit more about some of the printing tasks that we have how to do them for so that you can have success. All right, would you like to give us a call beyond the board when I come back seven one three two one two kt r H.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Skip Rickards.
Speaker 2: Just watch him as well.
Speaker 4: All right, welcome back to guard Line. I'm gonna jump in right here. Somebody left the gate open while we were in. All the cows have gotten out and called garden Line. I don't know that that was a weird way to put it. Anyway, we got a lot of calls. I gotta get to that is the bottom line. We're going to start by going out to Scott in Tumbull. Hey, Scott, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 25: Hey, thank you very much. A quick question for you. I got my soil test results back and it's showing my PHS DOULB five like right around a four point nine I think, And I was doing a little bit of research, said lime is the best way to correct that.
Speaker 4: Yes, this is a is this a bed that had been acidified or they put a lot of peat moss in or what's the story there.
Speaker 25: So we're coming up on this is gonna be my first full season with the house. We moved in back in June, so I kind of just started doing a little bit more soil tests when I moved in. So this year I kind of started with my soil test and was going to kind of implement my program coming this year. So I'm not sure what happened there beforehand.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, well, what you're going to need to do. Lime is the best way to raise the soil pH. There are other things that are higher pH that you know can work in that direction. But if you go online and look at do a search for lime, you know to raise soil pH and you're going to find In fact, let me let me give you one other tip. If you have a pen or pencil handy, if after you put any search into Google or whatever search you're using, you put in the word site colon dot e d u, So it's s I T E a colon a period an e ed u. That tells the search engine that I want you to look for raising soil pH with lime and then but I only want you to look in in sights that are university related sites. What you're going to get is some real good, accurate information and it'll tell you if you have a clay soil, it takes more lime than if you have a sandy soil that's going up or down with the pH it takes more of something. So it'll tell you exactly how many pounds. You know, be very careful to follow that because you don't want to move it too far. But you can raise the soil pH significantly by using lime, but you have to mix it down into the soil for it to actually have that effect on down deep.
Speaker 25: Okay, real quick question for you then, So this is on my lawn. I have seen augustine grass, clay soil. Is there anything different than I need to go about knowing that that information.
Speaker 4: On the lawn. You're not going to be able to mix it in, of course, and so I would just maybe gradually put a little bit of line in it with some air rating. You're going to get things down in the soil. But I'll tell you this, our soils number one, I'm kind of questioning if that four point something pH was accurate, because that is incredibly low. But assuming it is, you can gradually bring it down in a lawn. But lawns are pretty tolerant of a range of soil phs. So is it Saint Augustine grass or bermuda or what do you have?
Speaker 25: I have Saint Augustine and right I took my soil sample. It was just from the front yard, and I took it from multiple spots in the front yard. I mean, I don't have a very big front yard, so I just get it there because the backyard kind of needs a whole renovation on its own at some point when I got time.
Speaker 4: But okay, yeah, well it sounded like you took a good soil sample. So that's that's what I would say. If the lawn looks okay, I wouldn't worry about it a lot. But if you wanted to add a little bit of lime, you could, but do it very gradually in the lawn watered in really good and then provide maybe some aerration. You just want to watch it because when you get the surface of the lawn really higher in pH you're gonna have more problems. Will take all a root rot on that lawn, and so I my first thought is, don't do anything if the lawn looks halfway okay with proper care.
Speaker 25: Okay, so the lawn, you know, like I said, the lawn from the road looks be so once you get up and you can see some issues with it. So if I was gonna plan this year, don't try to from what I read getting into like the right around pace level six is kind of ideal. My goal was need to try to get to six of this year, it'd be kind of trying to just bite at it a little bit at a time.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So so yeah, because here here's the problem when you when you go to raise the pH in a garden, you can mix a lot of linemen and raise the pH throughout that root zone. But when you're when you're looking at a lawn, uh, you're putting it right on the surface and it doesn't just go way down in the soil. So you end up with a real high pH at the top and not as much of a raising pH as you go down. And so that's what I'm trying to say is, uh, you want to be extra extra careful with that because it's not good to have a high pH, right up there where your runners are when it comes to certain things like the disease. Take all root rot.
Speaker 25: Okay, I appreciate the information.
Speaker 4: Thank you, you bet you take care. Thanks for the call. All right here, we're gonna we're gonna now head out to Jill and full Sure. Hey Jill, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 26: Hey, good morning, Skip. My question is concerning you pawn. And we have property up in Centerville, and we have a lot of ypon on our property, and so we're slowly clearing it. But I just I wonder about my my other trees on my property. We're spraying. We cut it and we spray it with remedy and diesel, but is that going to impast my freeze?
Speaker 4: So you're spraying the cut stumps of theypon? Yeah, no, uh it doesn't, you know. I mean, if you you can overdo it, but you're All you need to do is barely get that stump wet. And you need to do it right after you cut it. Don't don't wait hours later to come in and and and spray it. Get it done as soon as possible.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: So it doesn't take much product just to wet those little stumps. Uh. And you know you'll miss a few and you come back later and do it. But no, it won't hurt the other plants as long as you don't misapply it.
Speaker 26: So it really does matter that you cut it, that you spray it immediately.
Speaker 4: I mean we I say immediately. Okay, yeah, Well, here's here's the thing. The the the tricle peer, which is what's in remedy. Uh. It has taken up best when the cut is fresh. As that cut begins to dry out and the tissues die up there at the surface of the cut, it you're not able to get the tricle peer in as well. You'll get you'll get some result, but not as well. And so if you're using the diesel oil that helps it stick. And you can even spray diesel a trickle pair on the sides of the base of those yopons without doing the cut, and it'll kill them because it soaks through the tender thin bark thats have down there. But just just you know, it's it's a relative thing. It's just that the sooner you do it, the more results you're going to get. The better the results will be.
Speaker 26: All right, thank you, thank you, you.
Speaker 4: Bet good luck with that. Yep, bye bye. All right, I'm gonna have to go to break here. Jill and a task Asita will be with you first when we come back. Well, welcome back, welcome back to the garden line. We are now, I said, go to talk to Jill. We're gonna talk to Cheryl in a task Asita. Hey, Cheryl, welcome to garden line.
Speaker 12: I have a two quick questions about plants to cover.
Speaker 27: M you hear me?
Speaker 12: Open? Okay, Yes, I can a dwarf upon on the west side up against the windows. Uh, and they're two years old. And then I have ginger plants under an oak tree and I covered them last year, but they they're friendly off they came back. Do I have to cover them? Even though they're going.
Speaker 15: To die back?
Speaker 4: You shouldn't have to cover them. It'd be nice to have a nice little mult around them. A lot of ginger has its rhizomes right up near the surface, and you could get a little coal damage to an exposed rhizome. But if you got a little mulch over them, they should be fine. What kind of ginger do you have? Do you happen to know?
Speaker 12: No, they're they're they they're the yellow and green leaves on the end. They're mainly yellow.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, huh, that's a variegated alpinia type of ginger. And yeah, you know those. I got some of my ginger through the last frost just by having it. I had them in the pot, but I just moved it under the eaves of a house. If you wanted to throw a cover on, you can protect some of the top growth. If you still like that ornamental color. Uh, it might be enough to protect the top growth. But I would just let it do its normal thing, die to the ground, then leave it dead and ugly until you know, we get a little past the dangers of freezes, and then you can clean out all the dead and let the fresh new come through.
Speaker 12: Okay, And how about the dwarf you find up against the house on the west.
Speaker 8: Side years old?
Speaker 4: They will be Yeah, they'll be fine. No problem for them, no problem, all right, all right, hopefully we've saved you a little bit of work there. Thanks, appreciate your appreciate your call. All right seven one three two one two k t R H. If you'd like to give us a call talk about gardening kinds of things, well, we're happy to do that. That's why we're here help you have a bountiful garden, beautiful landscape and more fun in the process, is how I would put it. You know, there are a lot of natural microbes that are ruling the world out there, taking care of our plants and microlife. The folks at Microlife they're all about that. Their products contain microbes. Their products enhance microbial activity and growth. Now, so all you got to do is apply one of the products and you're going to be adding some of those to the soil. There's one in particular I just want to talk about. It's a liquid. It's called micro Grow liquid AF. Micro Grow liquid AF. It's a beautiful maroon label for those of you non Aggie's out there. It's a beautiful burgundy label, all right. And what it is, it's loaded with eight extremely dominating beneficial microbes that get down in your soil and do good to plants. These are good guy microbes. I talked about it last weekend quite a bit. But it's got things like strupt, a certain type of two types of structo mices that are actually disease fighting. It's got two types of trichoderma that help fight disease. Several types of Bacillus one, specifically basilla subtless is even can be applied to foliage to help prevent disease sportes that fungal spores that land and attack the plants. Micro grow liquid AF the maroon jug. You can get it by the gallon or I believe they have about a quart as well. But all you do is you apply it with You can put some in some molasses in a gallon of water to drench around the soil. You can do it to spray the foliage on the leaves. Either way, it's going to work very very well. Micro Grow liquid AF. We're gonna head out now to Spring and talk to Jonathan. Hey, Jonathan, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 5: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 17: I've got two Mexican fan palms and one Canary Island Day and they've all got about a foot in a half of trump foot heights. They're all super healthy, and they're all in a bed of lavarack. And I just wanted to make sure that I was doing the right thing to the freeze. I've got the fronds tied up to where it kind of covers the kind of covers the heart and the new growth, and I wanted to know. I've got the burlap sack to cover the plant with. Do I need to wrap the base in the trunks in a in a in a blanket at all or should the burlap sack and the front thought that'd be enough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, wrapping the trunk slows the cooling of the trunk, and uh so that is helpful in that it slows the cooling. Uh the most important part of your palm trees or the buds at the top of the trunk. That's the growth point, and so that's where we most need to protect it. So I mean, you could you can throw a cover over it up there if you can, if it's not too big to do that or reach it. I've known people that take like the little it's the gosh. I don't know how the proper term for it, but it's a little heating cable. It's a it's a wire coated wire that you plug in to an extension core and you wrap it around a pipe to barely keep that pipe warm, warm enough to protect protect against freeze. You could wrap some of that around up at the top and put a little cover over it, and that would provide a little bit of heat for the top of that palm tree as well. You just have to run extension cord up to the top on those. But anyway, however you want to go about it, it's that that key bud that's the growing point. And if it dies. On most types of palms, if it dies, the whole tree is dead. Some palms will re sprout at the bottom, and Mexican fan is a it's a pretty tough palm anyway.
Speaker 17: The end the Canary Island day, the same thing, a little less, a little less cold, hardy on the Canary Island date. Okay, all right, perfect, well, thank you very much for the information.
Speaker 4: All right, you take care, appreciate that. We are going to now go out to Full sher and talk to David.
Speaker 23: Hello, David marin Skip, how are you doing.
Speaker 4: I'm doing well, Thank you good.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 23: I was just going to call in and suggest to some of the listeners out there about uh I've talked to you before. I have a bunch of fruit trees out in Full Shrik and I wrap them. I wrap them with drop claws on the construction company and I wrap them with drop clalls and protect them. And uh, so far the little c seven lights have worked perfect keep anything from freezing, and I wrapped the trunk as well. And uh, now with this the with the real cold weather coming, I'm going to put little tiny heaters in there to keep them a little warm. And I was going to suggest that today with our technology that we have, there's these little things you can buy and you can hang them in the in the wrap. Whatever kind of bush or tree you have, you can hang it in there away from your heater, and it can tell you what the temperature is inside there, and you can stay in the house to monitor it to see what you're doing and how effective it is.
Speaker 4: That's pretty cool stuff. Hey, I appreciate that those are Those are good tips there, David. Thank you. I'm gonna have to run. I got some more callers I need to get to, but I appreciate those tips. And good luck with your trees, keeping them, showing them nice and protected. We're going to run now to Spring, Texas and doctor Connie. Hey Connie, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 28: Hi, Skip, thank you for taking my call. I've got this bush and I want to say I'm going to call it a Rose of Sharon, although I don't think that's the right name.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 28: It has kind of little arrow shaped leaves that are kind of fluted on the ends. You know, it has three different.
Speaker 24: Forks to it.
Speaker 28: I guess you'd say, okay, And I'm wondering if I need to cover it. I didn't cover it this last time, and it's fine. It is trying to put new leaves on already. I don't know, what do you think?
Speaker 4: Well, if it really is Rosa Sharon, you you should you shouldn't have to cover.
Speaker 7: It, okay, Yeah, well I don't know that will be my.
Speaker 13: Okay?
Speaker 8: And what about jasmine?
Speaker 4: Uh, like Asian jasmine, the groundcover no, no, the oh mine, Yes, Carolina Jessamine should not need to be covered either, okay.
Speaker 28: And the so that's the yellow one. And then I have one and I don't know the proper name for that one either, but it's it has the white flowers that blooms pretty much all the time in the summer.
Speaker 4: Uh. There are some true jasmines that are a little bit cold tender. I would cover those. Since we don't know for sure which one it is, I'd suggest you cover it, okay.
Speaker 28: And my zail user trying to put buds on, they'll be fine.
Speaker 4: That should be okay. I mean, if you don't throw a little blanket or something over the top, just to minimize any kind of damage, that azelias should be okay. Anyway, they can take freeze, but if you want to, you know, just avoid a little bit of that, you could throw some cover over them. That would be fine.
Speaker 28: Okay, Well, thank you, yes, thanks.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you appreciate that very much. Thanks for being a caller. For those of you who have not been out to the Arborgate recently, you've got to go check it out. They have loaded up on fruit trees, a extensive selection of fruit trees and berries and grapes, and you know talking the other day about some grape varieties that do really well here, of course Arbrogate's got those. If you're looking for apples or blackberries or dragon fruit I mean figs, and then unusual things like elderberries. You know what they grow wild, But did you know their cultivars of elderberries that you can buy that do really well. They have their selection of avocados, their selection of blueberries, or selection of palmgranites, and I could just talk and talk about all the things they have at Arborgate. Now they also have seed starting kits. It's time to get the seed starting done, so you need to go ahead and get those done as well. They've got wonderful selection of cool season color and it's still okay to plant cool season color, so you can carry you on in to when we get all past all the freezes and things and we might start to think about the warm season color then, but go ahead and get some things in now and make things look good out there. They also I want to mention this. The parking lot is the way to go. That's in back. You just turned down Trasher Road before or after Arburgate. He goes right around to the back of Arburgate. You can pull in there. It's an all weather parking lot, super easy access, super safe, easy, easy, easy to do, and I highly recommend you use that. That's the parking lot I prefer to use. And don't forget that their soil and their compost materials that we talk about, they're also available in bulk and they will deliver. So talk to Beverly kennon the whole group there at Arburgate if you're interested in having a bulk delivery of their soil and compost types of products. Well, It's time for me to take a break. Got a lot of folks holding on here, y'all. Hang on, I'm gonna get to you as quick as I can when we come right back. Welcome back to the garden Line. Just go jump right back in here. So we get out and get us some bundy of these taking care of here. We're going to go to let's see, we're gonna head out to Nadville and talk to Vernon. Hey, Vernon, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 22: Hey, Hey, you doing.
Speaker 29: I got a couple of questions for you real quick. The only time I've got left in my garden is onions and cabbage, and I wonder if I need to cover those. I'm not too worried about the cabbage, but the onions need to be covered.
Speaker 4: Well, it kind of depends how cold it's going to get for you there. I leave mine uncovered in minor cold. You know, when we're gonna get down and the I don't know, the mid twenties or lower, I start to think, you know, we better, we better do something about that. And so it wouldn't hurt to cover them. It just try to have something to hold the cover up a little bit. So you don't just crush the plants with the cover. Put some steaks down the row or whatever works for you to hold it up, off the off the plants.
Speaker 29: Okay, and one more thing, and when it gets closer to spring, I'm gonna do a lot of cutting on my plamreas and my pencil cactus with a Rosealvka with pearlit spin ord. I need a cactus soil.
Speaker 4: I would get a cactus soil. There's a good mix that airlom soils makes them cells. It's a cactus mix comes in little bags and it's got a lot of grit in it.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 4: The others like you mentioned, they don't have that the amount of grit. And with cactus, you do want it to be very very well super well drained. That that's very important. And and so that's what I would do. And you're gonna find airroom soils mixes in a lot of different places, so that would be pretty easy to find.
Speaker 29: Okay, when I cut that pencil cactus, I've got one branch that's probably a half inch. Do you just had the milk run out of it?
Speaker 15: Or is there a way to stop that?
Speaker 4: Oh? I mean you can just leave it it's gonna drip and stuff on some things, Like when I'm cutting a ficus tree, I usually have like like a handkerchif not a handkerchief, Kleenex stop there, and I'll cut it, and I'll just stick that cleanex up against and it just absorbs that sap and then it drives on there and you got to pull it off, but it's just a little absorbent thing there to keep it from dripping all over, because those kinds of SAPs often will really stain your clothing or carpet or wherever it's whatever it's fallen on.
Speaker 29: Yeah, I know they're toxic, all right, But that's all I needed, all right.
Speaker 4: So thank you, appreciate, appreciate very much your call. We're gonna go to Nick and Cypress. Now, Hey, Nick, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 30: Hey you ship, how you doing? Hey, I'm here.
Speaker 20: A beautiful lives the list, and.
Speaker 30: She's got me kind of in the She got me kind of basically into the planting thing.
Speaker 8: And she had a question for you regarding our high buscus.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 31: So we had her in a really big pot for a while and she got her root system just got too big. So we finally planted her in the ground this summer, so she's been in the ground for about three months or so. The last cold snap we did cover her, but she is still kind of trying to bounce back. Her leaves are very wilted, and with this next breeze coming, we're just a little concerned if just the the plant wrap is good enough or if we should be doing something different for her so she can bounce back the spring.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, about how tall is it?
Speaker 31: It's probably about three foot tall.
Speaker 4: And probably about the same three Okay, I've got one like that, and it's Mine's in a container, but I don't know. I'm experimenting with mine. I'm going to leave it out in the container and do what I'm about to tell you. If you will, get you some pieces of PVC pipe, half inch pvc, it's very inexpensive. Get the gray type if you have, if you're able to. If not, the white is fine. The white is just it breaks down in sunlight faster. But anyway, I'll get a little eighteen inch piece of rebar at a good lumber type store, hammered into the ground in four places around that plant, and then get that PVC stick it over the rebar, bend it, stick it over the rebar on the opposite side. So let's say you have a north south and an east west piece, and then take a zip tie or some twine and tie the PVC together. So now you've created a little igloo over that plant. Then cover it. Then secure the edges, yes, like a frame. Secure the edges, and you've created dead airspace. You got it. Not let air blow up underneath there or it defeats what you're trying to accomplish. Then get you a clamp light and one hundred and fifty watt flood light bulb should be enough. You can use a heat lamp, but it shouldn't be needed on the coal we're having. And put it not shining onto the plant or the stems of the leaves. Shine it down on the ground and that heat will rise up underneath there, and that will that will do the trick. If you've created dead air space. I use plastic because I'm going over the PVC and plastic absolutely doesn't allow any air to move through it, And so that's how I do it.
Speaker 31: Yeah, we had bought one of those plant bags, but I don't think that was enough. During this last one, so I'm really concerned about her this time. So we'll follow your advice and I'll get some plastic and some PVC and rework. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the plat bags are fine for slowing the cooling of the plant itself. But what we're trying to do is create a bare soil area underneath it. By the way, pull the multz back where the warmth of the soil rises up and is helping with that. You know, when you just create a landscape lollipop it oftentimes at the very base of the trunk you'll get damage where it's not covered or it just you can't get the heat in there like you can the way I described it.
Speaker 31: Okay, perfect, all right, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: All right, you bet, thank you. Thanks for the call. We were talking a while ago talking about birds. I can't remember who was it called, had all the birds going in the background. Whybird's Unlimited has got us covered on every kind of thing you need for your birds. I mean feeders. You need a quality bird feeder. You need quality birds seed. Right now, wind are super Blends the one you need to be feeding. They also have something called bark butter. Bark butter is a spreadable suet, So think of it like peanut butter, but a little firmer. You smear it on the tree trunk and birds come up, grab the tree trunk and sit there and pack at it. I mean they really like it. And the one they have is created by their found under Jim Carpenter. It's called Gem's Birdaceous bark Butter. Good name and they have documented over one hundred and fifty species of birds being attracted at bark butter. That's pretty cool. They have bark butter bits, little bite sized nuggets you can put in a feeder. There's a bugs and bits that has dried millworms and our birds is like you've created this fine dining restaurant, you know, a Michelin restaurant there for the birds in your backyard. They also have Cardinal Confetti blend for cardinals. It attracts o the birds too, but it's got a great mix of all kinds of things that cardinals likes. A brand new blend. They're gonna have it all year. Cardinal Confetti all at Wallbirds. Go to WBU dot com forward slash Houston WBU dot com forward slash Houston and find the Wallbirds near you. There's six of them, so it's easy, easy to find one close to you. We're going to take a break. When we come back, Sue and Houston and Addie Huffman, you'll be our first two up. All right, welcome back to Garden nine. We are glad you're listening. Continuing on with our phones this morning, we are going to go to Sue in Houston. Hello, Sue, welcome to Garden Line.
Speaker 8: Good morning. Several months ago, I noticed I lived in an apartment building. I'm on the fourth floor. I had looked over the balcony and I noticed that the flower bed was completely clear of any kind of weeds. The knockout roses were there, but the weeds weren't there. And I know flower beds have weeds. Some of my plants were dying. And one of the things that I was concerned with is any residual chemical that the cat may walk through on the floor of the balcony. So I called two different vest offices and they said, call your apartment office. They have to tell you what they've been using. Of course, they said nothing. So I called Texas Apartment of Agriculture.
Speaker 26: And I asked for.
Speaker 8: Some help to see if there was an herba said news that had drifted up and the guy came out.
Speaker 12: And the report said.
Speaker 8: No pesticide found. And I talked to the guy after the report and I said, did you take a soil sample in that flower bed?
Speaker 24: He said no.
Speaker 18: I said, did you.
Speaker 8: Take any samples from my plants or the dirt in the plants? He said no. So I'm back to starting all over again. Now I'm seeing weeds in the flower bed. So now I'm thinking the apartment has been alerted that. Uh, oh, she's aware of something. We need to knock this soft well. Can't use anything. So since there's weeds growing, I know there's no erbit said, and it's been too long, so uh the herb said is dissolved or you know it can't be tested right now.
Speaker 4: Well, the herbicides they don't, Yeah, they don't. They don't last forever. I mean they go away different length of time for different ones, but in general they break down and they have to be reapplied, so that what was done before, I wouldn't be worried about it now. Uh. In general, there's not a threat from most herbicides to a cat walking across, scratching through the soil or something and like that, just unless you know, like they walked on it with their wet wet with their paws or something. But I wouldn't worry about that, I think, and I don't think the you know, the apartment company is trying to hide anything. They just they hire somebody to go take care of the weeds and the beds and things. As to what they use, I don't even know. But the company ought to be able to tell you they they There ought to be a way for them to provide that information if you're curious, I would say in the meantime, just you know, try to keep an eye out on it out there, and you should be. Did you say, when you looked at it, did you see weeds that had been growing, that had been killed, that were dead and dried up?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Yes, And I pointed that out to him. And also in a different location at on the property, but a different location, you can see where something was clearly sprayed. I mean there's a spray line that is not weed eat or damage.
Speaker 27: It was clearly spray.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, well, I think you know that's kind of what I can tell you at this point. There should be there should be a way for them to tell you what we've used. That information is supposed to be made available. So that's all I know to tell you. In general, it's I don't think the actual risk is going to be that significant for the animal. You know, if you had something sprayed on foliage and the animal was eating you know, the weed, which sometimes animals will, you know, go out. My dog goes out and eat eats grass out of the yard and stuff, So that would be different. But as far as just walking on it, there shouldn't be a great Once it's dried, fully dried and stuff, there shouldn't be a great concern.
Speaker 8: Well, now that you say that I have put lemon seed in a pot and I probably have six little twelve inch lemon trees coming up, and I have a cat that is attracted for whatever reason to those leaves and who will chew on them so much. I just don't like the idea of that, you know, and something especially that I don't know what they're using and why they would keep that a secret of it is concerning to me.
Speaker 4: Well, it's I doubt that it's a conspiracy thing, you know, where they're keeping it a secret. They probably just don't know most of those places, you know, it's the harsh somebody to go out there and take care of it, and that's all they're worried about.
Speaker 8: If it happens again. Who do I How do I get a soil sample for something like that.
Speaker 4: I can just tell you there's not going to be a good way for you to do that. And you can search for chemicals in an analysis. It costs a ton of money, and you got to tell them what to look for. They can't just look for quote chemicals. You got to say is there this chemical in that? And they can search and say yes or no, or how much or whatever. But I think I've helped you about as much as I can on this one. But yeah, I don't know where else to go on this one. But I do appreciate your call. Thank you very much, and give us a call back if we can help with them. Let's see who was next here. We were gonna trying to think of who. There we go. We're gonna go out to Huffman and talk to Betty. Hey, Betty, good morning.
Speaker 32: I'm wondering what to do with my guardenia bush. My daughter bought me this for Mother's Day last year and there was no flowers on it, and so I gave it so coffee grounds, and all of a sudden it's sprouted a lot of like maybe four or five six branches and they were good okay, two feet tall, but no flowers.
Speaker 7: I still don't have any flowers. So should I okay?
Speaker 3: What should I do?
Speaker 15: I need?
Speaker 8: I want to.
Speaker 4: All right real quick because I'm about to run out of time on us or the leaves a healthy green color. Yes, okay, I would get an acid loving plant food. They number of different manufacturers make plants foods for acid loving plants. Microlife has one that is in kind of a pinkish bag that is for acid loving plants like Gardenia's adrangea, azalea, blueberry, camellia, those kinds of things. And I would use that as you fertilize, continue to water as needed to support good growth when it's dry, and get good growth on it. If it has good growth and good light, it will settle down and start blooming for you. But it does need good light, doesn't necessarily need full sun. It just needs good light, good nutrition, good growth, and it ought to bloom for you well. So that would be my suggestion going through this twenty twenty five year to try to turn that around.
Speaker 32: Betty, So an eastern side of the building is okay, you say it?
Speaker 4: East is fine? Yeah, that east is a great place for a GUARDENA sure.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll just I'll wait and see.
Speaker 4: Thank you all right, Thank you very much. I appreciate appreciate your call very much. Let's see here, we're about to hit our out time. I believe for this hour. You know, this morning is going fast again. I know this happens all the time, kay, apparently, and I wanted to get to you, but I want to be able to give time for your call. So we're going to take you right when we come back from break. For right now, I believe we're about to head into a break. I just want to remind you our phone number seven one three two one two KTRH. Also, please hear this. My website is where I put all kinds of information and please write it down. Please bookmarkt so that you're ready to go. The publication, nine page full color publication for free. Everything's for free on there is available on my website. Gardening with Skip dot com. Someone called earlier about killing yo pond with a product I have a new publication I just put up last night on how to do a stump cut treatment. So when you're trying to get rid of woody weeds like poison ivy and things, you don't want to spray the whole weed and kill stuff all around it and cut off the base and you treat the stump and I tell you exactly how to do that. Dow publication on just another example of the kinds of stuff.
Speaker 3: You've done find.
Speaker 1: Welcome to KTRH Garden Line with skin Rickyard.
Speaker 5: Trip.
Speaker 2: Just watch him asks.
Speaker 3: A sun.
Speaker 4: All right, folks, glad to have you back. Let's do this. We are entering our last hour of the morning here Saturday on guarden Line. I'm your host, Skip Rictor, and we're here to help you have a more bountiful garden, more beautiful landscape, and more fun in the process. We're going to start by going out to kay in Pairland.
Speaker 5: Hello.
Speaker 4: Okay, welcome to garden Line, and thanks for hanging on.
Speaker 33: Yes, thank you, that's no problem.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 33: I have a question about covering the plant. How long i'd like to cover my plants that I'm going to cover today while it's not so cold, and I just wonder if it goes if the freeze goes on, you know, that's kind of a little uncertain about how long it's.
Speaker 4: Going to be.
Speaker 33: If it's two or three or four days of you know, freezing temperatures, that's kind of a long time to keep a plant covered, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Now, if you're going to use something that blocks all the light out, like a tarp, for example, I would suggest not leaving it under there for more than a day or two. Open it up and let it have some light. It's it's not like it's going to die on day three. It's just you know, the longer you leave it shaded, the more likely it is it's going to drop leaves and things. If you use something like freeze blankets.
Speaker 33: I have freeze blankets.
Speaker 4: Okay, I think they let some light through, don't they right? Are they white or are they like dark green or green green? Okay, I'm not sure how much light is going to go through those. You may hold some up to the light and you know it's God's ide, and hold it up, look through it and see what you think.
Speaker 22: Uh.
Speaker 5: Well, I can.
Speaker 33: See my work glowing through it when I had it coverage.
Speaker 4: Okay, last week. So okay, well they're gonna allow a little light through then uh, you're probably good to go. I mean, you know, we down in Pairland is not going to be as cold uh as it is going to be you know, further north in the listening area, So you're you're probably okay, we're talking about, uh, just trying to get them through. It's going to come down to a cave depending on the plant. So you know, if you're trying to keep a tropical hibiscus from freezing, versus if you're just trying to keep you know, something that's fairly cold hardy from freezing, Uh, the tropic hibiscus, you're gonna have to leave it on. Okay, Well that's you're.
Speaker 33: Gonna is the other one?
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, well they're gonna be on for a while, so I think they'll be okay. I would if you don't mind going out and letting them have a sunny day or something that would be good. That also warms the soil and allows a little bit of warmth to rise up around the plants as well taking the cover off. But uh, it's there's not a black and white line on this one.
Speaker 28: Okay.
Speaker 33: Well, I just thought it's not too good to leave them too long. And I don't know that it's going to be that cold that long, but we'll see.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're going to hope not. But yes, all right, good luck with that. Thanks for the car you as well. Thank you very much our phone number seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t r H. Listen. It's always a good time to malt It is always a good time to build your soil. It just is twelve months out of the year. Unless the soil soggy, sop and wet, it's a good time to build the soil. And it's a good time to always replenish your malts. Maults in the wintertime deters weeds and it also helps moderate soil temperature, protects the crown of that plant against extreme drops in temperature as well. Cnimalts noticed malts in the name Cnimaltch is the go to place for all the brown stuff that helps your green stuff to thrive. That's how that works. They're open Monday through Friday, seven thirty to five. You got there on a Saturday seven thirty to two, closed on Sunday. They're on FM five Point twenty one near Highway six and two eighty eight. Best thing I can tell you is just go to the website Sienna multch dot com. Simple as that, cnmultch dot com. They're down south of town again. So all of you out in communities like see in a plantation, Riverstone, Sandy Point, Meridian, First Colony, Iowa Colony, pear Land out by the Brasis Bend State Park, all through that region. This is your backyard spot to go get the maltches you need and the soil blends that you need, and the fertilizers that you need. They carry products by Microlife by Nelson, by nitrofoss by Landscaper's Pride by Medina, by Heirloom Soils. They have Airloom soils of Veggie nerdmex. They've got Landscaper's Pride in bolt black velvet malts, and so it's just the place to go when you drive out of there with your stuff, or you can have them within about twenty miles. They'll do a delivery for a small fee. When you get that set up, you're ready to go. Then your plants will thrive, and money spent on the soil is very important. Before you spend money on. Let me put it this way, spend a dollar in your soil before you spend a dollar in your plants. Are do them both at the same time. Take care of the soil and then put the plant in. That's how you do it. And see anumult is where you can get the kind of quality products that you need. I mentioned that, you know they have products by Nelson, and Nelson Fertilizer has a number of lines. They've got the Turf Star line. We'll talk about that when we get back to lawn fertilizing discussions again. They've got the color Star line, which if you're going to have a flower bed and you want flowers in it, you want color. Colorstar is an awesome product for it's been around for forty years now and it's used not just here in our area, not just in Texas. I mean they shift that stuff all over the country. People figure out it works and they go send me some because it's worked for me. If it ain't broke, I ain't gonna fix it. In other words, and it's popular. They also have Nelson has a product called Nutristar Genesis, and this is a plant food designed to blend into the soil at planting. It's got indo and ectomycroiza that helped that root to reach more nutrients. It has bacteria and other fungi that benefit that soul microbiome. It's got hum maates in it. It's designed to be mixed in so you just when you dig your planting hole, just mix some into the soil. As you plant that plant and put that soil back in. Have some of the Nelson nutristarch genesis in the planning hale. If you're growing transplants, you're gonna bump them up from a six pack to a four inch pot, or a four inch pot to a six inch or gallum pot. That new potting mix mix the Nelson genesis. That's how I use it during this time of the year because I'm growing transplants, I'm potting them up Nelson's neutral star genesis. It really helps after the plant gets going, then you can use things like Colorstar and other fertilizers on top of the soil. But this will help them get them off to a good start. Well, I am looking at a break coming here too fast to go out to Huffman and talk to Jerry. Jerry, if you can hang on when I come back from break, you will be our first call up and we will visit you at that point. I want to remind you again my website, Gardening with Skip dot com, is where you're going to find information about all kinds of things, including protecting plants from cold, if you will follow garden Line on Facebook. Just yesterday I posted a little video on how to cover a plant, put light underneath it and protect it and some of the things you need to know, things to avoid, things to do. It's all there on the Facebook page and we post periodically to that. I've got some others that are coming up pretty quick here to post a Facebook so you always need to follow us on Facebook. In the meantime, I'm going to take a break. I'll be right back. All right, folks, welcome back to Guardline. Good have you with us. We are going to head straight out to Huffman and talk to Jerry. Hello Jerry, and welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 34: Well, I'm calling about that person that called about this to pray something on our plants, and they do you know what it was? Anytime you do that, you're supposed to have a material Safety data sheet. It's called a MSDS tells you what's in the stuffs to put in your property.
Speaker 4: That's right, that's the rules. Yeah, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 15: So that's all I had brought.
Speaker 34: Thank you for your program, but.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you providing that that information. You take care, Yeah, that's true. You know, I try to try to stay out of some of the weeds on this stuff. You know, people, I'm hearing what somebody is telling me on the air, and I don't know, I don't know how to put it other than I'm not going to get entangled in that. There there is a way to find out if somebody apply something. It's it's true what he said. They're supposed to provide information, so whoever they apply it for. In this case of be an apartment company should have received that information. And if the apartment receives the information, they should be able to provide it for you. That's not a secret. But anyway, well, you are listening to guard Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we are here to help you have a bountiful garden. Help you have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape. So my suggestion would be give us a call seven one three two one two k T right, seven to one three two one two k T right, and we are gonna be happy to visit with you and help you have success. You know, one way that you can have success is to stop myself as a fertilizer. I don't care what it is you need for your plants. They're going to have it. Do you need to fertilize them? They have more fertilizers than you can imagine. Everything I talk about on guarden Line and way way past that, they've got the best selection of organic fertilizers of anybody in the whole region. The same thing is true with insect control, The same thing is true with disease control. The same thing is true with weed control. If you need tools, quality tools, like maybe you went on my website and saw that grab or weed wiper tool that I have. Well, the little thing you start with, the tool you start with. Bob's got him at Southwest Fertilized. You can make your own if you don't do that, but he's got him there. When you go to Southwest Fertilizer, you're gonna find selection, but you're also going to find expertise. You walk in with a picture with a plant samples could always bring in a plant sample, and they're gonna be able to tell you what's wrong with it and what to do about it. And I frequently stop by there to check on what's the latest, because you know, a company comes up with some new product, organic or synthetic, they're not going to call me up and say, hey, we got this new product. I have to find out myself and I go into Southwest. If it's a new product on the market, it's probably gonna be there, and we bought and I discuss things like that all the time. What works, what doesn't work, how's it working? You know what's available, and it's just that kind of place. It's been around since nineteen fifty five. Corner Abyssinet and Renwick. And here's the website, Southwest Fertilizer dot com. Southwest Fertilize dot com. I don't care where you live. When you drive over there, you'll see why I am so big on that place, and why pretty much if you don't if they don't have it, you don't need it. I think that's the simplest way to put it. We're going to head out now to friends would and talk to Ed this morning. Hello Ed, Welcome to Garden line, Hi, skip power.
Speaker 11: You all.
Speaker 4: Doing well, sir, thank you.
Speaker 10: We have three date palms and they're probably about twenty five years old, and okay, we lose to frons every time it can get a hard freeze. But how much freeze can they can they take before the fronds turn brown and die?
Speaker 4: You know, you can go online and see numbers that people have posted. Palm companies even have posted as to how cold it gets. It's a it's a function of several things. There is a roughly it can take this cold kind of number, but the condition of the plant a lot of course how cold it gets, but the conditions going into that cold. You know, any of our plants, when we are just having nice, mild conditions and suddenly that temperature drops way down, it's going to cause more damage than had there been a natural slowing and cooling of a plant in terms of what it could take. Date palms are not among the heartier palms. They're among the less hardy palms. They can be grown, but when it comes to freezes that separate one palm from another, date palm's going to be one that is going to sustain more damage than some of our hardier palms. That we have. The most important thing to remember on any palms is the terminal bud at the top of the trunk. That is where new growth comes out of. A few palms can reach sprout from the bottom. Date palm can't. Most palms can't. So if you can get something up there in the top, like a little cable on an extension cord the kind you wrap around a pie that keeps a pipe from freezing, provides a little bit of warmth, and then have any kind of cover over there on the top, you can get them through a lot. You can have damage to the trunk during a freeze.
Speaker 15: Go ahead, they throve They survived. Glass too freezes the blast you heart freezes.
Speaker 10: So hopefully this one will be as bad as those. But uh yeah, I guess it takes probably about a good solid year to throw those wrong back into a bull a bullet umbrella brown.
Speaker 29: How tall are they The trunks are probably about.
Speaker 25: Anywhere from ten to twelve feet.
Speaker 4: Well, it is feasibly pop.
Speaker 30: They're they're probably about it.
Speaker 4: We're talking over each other. Okay, Well, uh, it is possible to get up there and throw a cover over the whole thing. Use the tarp or whatever. You got. That's handy. Put a little bit of warm th underneath it, just a little bit, just like those little pipeworm and things. Wrap it up around. This is one time when a landscape lollipop would be the thing to do, because draping it all the way to the ground is going to be very difficult to do. Although if you can do that, that's even better. But at least warm warm the fronds and the top bud in it, and you should be good to go. And you can leave that on there for a few days if you need to, if it's gonna keep stay cold on you.
Speaker 25: Okay, all right, well thanks three time.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, Yeah, I wish there was a way to protect them other than that, but it's just not a tree. That's why you don't see those palm trees up further north. They're just really hard to protect, all right, ed, Thank you appreciate that. Our phone number seven one three two one two kt r H seven to one three two one two kt r H. In Chanted Gardens down in the Richmond Rosenberg area. It's an outstanding place to go visit and if you haven't been there, you need to. They are loaded up. They got a really good list of fruit trees now that they've got in. By the way, they got a program coming up next Saturday as January. No excuse me to day. I'm sorry. I'm looking at my calendar wrongs today January the eighteenth, and it's this morning, and it was John Penzarella, and I'm looking now. It starts at ten am, so basically when garden Line ends is when it kicks off. So I don't know. We'll give you permission to quit listening to the Garden Line, to put it on the radio on the car and head over there. John has been growing citrus on the Gulf Coast for a very long time. He knows how to grow all kinds of centrus. And this is a free program. They've got a tent out there that's heated, so you're gonna be comfortable. Just head out to Enchanted Gardens. That's FM three fifty on the Katie fullsher the north side of Richmond and Chanty Gardens and go check that out. By the way, I'm going to be out there on February fifteenth, about a month from now, from twelve noon to one thirty, and I'm going to be talking about tips for making gardening less work. Does that not sound appealing? It's, in other words, the way I like to put the subtitle, how to get more from your gardens with less sweat and less abuprofen. Okay, tips for making gardening less work. We'll make it more easier, more fun, more productive. Out there. That's February fifth. I'll tell you more about that as we get close to it. By the way, in Chanty Gardens is open Saturdays, Monday through Saturdays eight to five and Sundays eight to four. So get out there. When you're out there, you're going to find all the many, many kinds of plants. I mentioned fruit trees, but my gosh, they got your seed potatoes. They're ready to go out there, got products for frost protection, and their seed selection is outstanding. Inside the building there really good selection of all kinds of seeds. We could go on and on and on with that. Just go out there and Shendy Gardens. Go see John Penzrella today. I'm telling you it is. It'll be one of the best talks you ever heard on how to grow all kinds of centrus and answers your questions too. All right. I don't know how I can promote it any more than that. I wish I was at that moment I could get out there and get time to get there in time, I would go, I love love hearing that guy talk. Well, you're listening to Garden Line. Here's the phone number seven to one three two one two fifty eight seventy four, seven to one three two one two five eight seven four. We love our feed stores here on Garden Line and down south of Houston. League City feed in League City, Texas is an outstanding when it's got that old time feed store feel. I even like. I just like the fragrance going into a feed so I love that smell of fresh feeds and things. And League City is that it ain't s been around for forty years. It's on Highway three, just a few blocks south of ninety six in League Sity. So all of you in that whole region, like Lamark and Webster and elcame Ino Reale and Santa Fe, Dickinson, Clear Lake City, this is your hometown feed store. Go check them out. They've got nitrofoss products, they have azamite, they have microlife products, they have Nelson plant food products. They carry heirloom soils for example, anything you need to crow pass weeds and diseases. They've got it there at League City Feed, as well as some real premium types of pet food as well. All right, I'm going to head out now to Conroe and we're going to talk to Sym Hello, Cyan.
Speaker 18: Hice, Diane.
Speaker 24: But I like to listen to your show and on my way to work, so I've been going to do this. I said, this is a time while I'm sitting in a car. I'm fine, Rose, So I have that horrible play for soil. My yard is nothing but weeds. I bought the house new, so they just want to look cute till you get some closing and you're done. So I'm trying to get the yard aerrated. I'm seventy three, so I not a strong person.
Speaker 18: They used to be.
Speaker 24: I did go to one place to a piece of equipment. They want three hundred and sixty dollars for one day and then three hundred and twenty dollars for delivery and pick up, which is outrageous. And that's not even do anything.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to hey saying, I'm I'm sorry. I have to cut you off here. We're there. We got a heartbreak coming. When we come back, I will tell you about that and answer any other questions you have. Just hang on for one second, folks will be right back. All right, folks, we're back. We're going to head straight out to the phones and continue our conversation with Saying and Conro. You were discussing wanting to do some aeration and what I'm having a.
Speaker 8: Problem finding what I'm looking for.
Speaker 5: To do it?
Speaker 4: Got you? Well, if you're having to pay three almost four hundred dollars just to rent equipment, I got a way better way. You need to call green Pro Green Pro Services your area, Conro, and they will come out and they will do the compost top dressing and aeration both. Uh. And you know it's the prices will start. I believe they still start around five seventy five. But that's all the equipment, better equipment than you can rent. And that's the compost top dressing, couple of yards of composts going out there on it. You will be way better off than trying to rent a machine and find somebody to run it and buy all the composts and stuff like that. I would just call it Greenpro. There. If you have a pen or pencil handy and give you a phone number. I sure do, okay, it's two eight one three five three five one forty seven thirty three forty seven thirty. Yeah, I'll repeat it one more time. Two eight one three five one forty seven thirty three. Or if you're don't go online, it's Greenpro dot net. That's an easy way to get hold of them. But they can do they'll do the job right, and they got the equipment that does it better.
Speaker 24: That's gonna be like half priced and getting more done. So it sounds like a.
Speaker 4: Well it is and it yeah, you bet, good luck with that. Thanks for the call. All right, we're gonna go to Sugarland now and talk to Fred. Hey, Fred, Welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 22: Good morning, sir. I want to ask you about Carolina jasmine in the freeze.
Speaker 4: We replaced our Asian.
Speaker 22: Jasmine after we've lost it before with Carolina jasmine.
Speaker 11: Is that or not?
Speaker 4: It is hardy Carolina jasmine. Oh, I know it'll go to a zone seven, which is way north of us, and so yeah, you shouldn't have a problem with that at all. It's a it's a very tough, hearty plant native in the southeastern United States.
Speaker 7: Good well, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Is that it just okay? Well that was easy? You take care? Hey, yeah, there you go. All right, we beat that. Well. I got a weird, funky song that I'm going to play for you every nine and then I like to play some stuff. I promise you you never heard before if you have called me and tell me I'm wrong. But I'll do that when we come back from break here in a little bit. You know, I talk about ACE all the time, and it's like, where do you begin? You know, ACE Hardware. Their motto is ACE is the place, or at least it has been for a long time, and it is it is the place for all kinds of things that you might need. I mean, right now, it's all about cold weather, right, That's what we're worried about, is cold weather. How do we you know, how do we protect our plants? Well, when you go to ACE, you're going to find things like the pipe insulation to wrap around your pipe, the heat lamps that you need under your plants. By the way, if you want to know how to use one, go on Facebook garden Line facebook page. I did a video yesterday explaining how to do that. And you want to be careful when you use those. There's a right way and wrong way to do it, but it's on there. ACE has got that. ACE is going to be the place where you find all kinds of interior heaters. Maybe you want to put something out in the garage to keep it a little bit warmer because you put all some plants in there. Brought a bunch of plants into there. They've got that the frost covers to go over your plants. They've got everything you need when you think of cold weather. You know the covers that go over your faucets outside the miser, the freeze miser that is a gadget. You just screw it into the garden fawcet bib. You turn it on all the way. Nothing comes out because it's not until it gets cold cold that that freeze miser starts to water trickle out. So you don't waste water all night like you do when you have to leave your faucets trickling. But it works, and ACE has got it. Ace has got every kind of thing you might possibly need. For example, they've they've got those ac film that you need. In fact, the hardware city of Memorial may have the largest selection of AC filters in all of Houston. But we got Ace stores all over the place. You can go to fullshre Ace Hardware up in Spring. There's All Star Ace Hardware. There's another All Star Ace Hardware in Magnolia and Port Lavaca. Ace Hardware just another example of the many Ace Hardware is in the greater Houston area. If you went to Acehardware dot com and find the store locator, you can find the one near you. And it's as simple as that. And I could just sit here, item after item reading off everything you need from Ace Hardware. The cause we're getting into cold, cold weather, so get by there, don't alike, get by there and get that taken care of. And then when things warm up a little bit, I want to tell you about some of their gardening supplies that they carry, because they have a nice full supply of gardening options at your local Ace Hardware store. Ace is the place that is true. Well let's see here, where are we. We're getting pretty close to the break. Well, I've got time for a call. If someone'd like to, you might call it seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H. I'm gonna talk a little bit about some non freeze type of thing. Uh, and that would be This is the time to get your fruit trees in the ground, any kind of woody ornamental. The sooner you plant it, the better. Our garden centers are loaded with ones. Now, when you go to a good mom and pop garden center, I'm not talking about national chains that sell hammers and everything else. I'm talking about a garden center that's locally owned. You're gonna they're gonna be able to tell you what are the best cultivars for your area. Because you know, the cultivar of peach you would grow on Galveston and Huntsville are very different. They're gonna be able to tell you do you need a pollinator for that kind of fruit? Peaches don't need a second pollinator out do. And then I'm not going to go through every fruit tree, but they'll be able to tell you that, they'll be able to tell you how to plant it, They'll be able to provide the products you need to have success with it. That's true with fruit trees. That's also true with camellias. It's true with tho zalias. It's true with all kinds of shrubs and trees that you might want to plant there at your property. The best time to plant a tree is forty years ago. Second best times today. So if you're looking for a nice shade tree or a nice blooming tree, my favorite spring bloomer is a tree called Chinese fringe tree. There's a native fringe f East Texas Native fringe. The showiest thing is the Chinese fringe and I love it. It is absolutely wonderful, has nice fragrance to it as well. So anyway, go to a good, trustable local garden center. We got them north, south, East, and West. We're lucky here in Houston. I'm going to take a break and when I come back, Danny, you'll be our first up. Oh my gosh, I don't even know where to start, so I'm just not gonna say anything. I promised you something you haven't heard before. If you've heard that before, number one, I don't believe you, but call in tell me you're wrong. Skip. I have heard that. It's probably some barbershop enthusiast out there. Hey, we're going to go out to the phones now and talk to Breen in Hitchcock. Hello, Bring, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 27: Oh yeah, Hi, Hi, Skip love your show. I had a raised flower bed with three established hibiscus. One is a cage in one, one's a double bloom, and the other one is I think it was called Americana.
Speaker 18: It's got yellow, yellow, red, and pink blooms on it. I think it's a hybrid.
Speaker 27: But they've gone on the ground, so probably at least three years. I did hear you say something this morning about putting.
Speaker 18: My PBC pipe in and maybe.
Speaker 27: A flood lamp, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 18: It's like a eight to ten foot long bed.
Speaker 27: The largest hyperscus is the Cajun and it probably stands four four and a half feet tall. So do I just need to wrap it in plastic and put a couple of flood lamps in there between each plant?
Speaker 4: Well you could? What would you could? Yeah, you could do that. I think if it were mine, it or eight feet long. I would take PVC and make arches to go over the plant, so you're making like a tunnel, and then you put the plastic over the whole tunnel, and then you put a couple of lamps. You know it's eight feet long, so put the lamps about four feet apart underneath there, and that would definitely protect them. The the PVC holds plastic up, plastic keeps air from moving. You don't want plastic to touch plants. But with those hibiscus, you know they're already the leaves are probably falling off and not looking very great anyway, and fresh growth will come out next spring. But if you go to the if you go to garden line Facebook page, I just kind of show you how to do it on one plant. It may make it easier to kind of picture what I'm talking about.
Speaker 27: Okay, I think I can get kind of a mental picture because you're talking about the PDC pipe that those really long.
Speaker 18: They're probably at least ten twelve feet.
Speaker 11: Tall or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, probably.
Speaker 27: Okay, what about what about blankets on the ground? Does that help it all?
Speaker 4: Well? You could you could put anything over the PVC. I mean you could use tarps, you could use rope, the thick row cover fabric, if you had a blanket that size, you could use it. We're just trying to create a dead air space underneath there so that the soil warmth rises up underneath that tunnel or underneath that PVC hoop, and it helps protect the plant and when you warm the air a little bit, it kind of stays warm because wind is not blowing the air right out from under there. That that's the goal. So uh yeah, you can. You can go about that either way.
Speaker 27: Okay, Well, I understand that. I was thinking though of putting like some old comforters or whatever to cover the ground to keep it warm with the flood lambs under it. Bit at that point it would probably block the heat from rising.
Speaker 4: I see, yes, that's correct. You do not want. In fact, I have a plant that I've covered like that, and first thing I did is scrape all the mult back from underneath that PVC hoop because the soil will warm and the soil will radiate that heat up, and molts help pull the soil in the soil warm thing. So yeah, you want you want bear soil. You don't want to blanket over it. You don't want mulch over it for best results. Now, these are all, you know, like ten different things you can do that each one helps a little bit. So if you don't do them all, that's okay.
Speaker 18: But okay, okay, well they're they're like my babies.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 4: I know, well, I have a cajun hibescus that I really love. Those are outstanding.
Speaker 27: Yeah, they're just you know, and I just stumbled across it in a flea market and it has just been the most beautiful plan. I get so many compliments on it.
Speaker 18: So okay, well, thank you.
Speaker 27: I really appreciate your health.
Speaker 18: It was very informative.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, good, that's good. Thanks for the call. Appreciate you being listener.
Speaker 18: Have a great thank.
Speaker 4: You as well. We're gonna go out now to Houston. Talk to Danny. Hey, Danny, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 30: Hey, yeah, good morning, sir, Thank you for taking my call. I have two mule palms that are still in their pots pots, meaning they're big. They're like, you know, four foot circles.
Speaker 22: Right.
Speaker 30: You just scared me when you were talking to that other young lady about the mult because I went and bought like eight bags of mulch and I put it inside the pot around the base to keep it warm during the last little Coltsville. Can you give me some suggestions on how to take care of these during this hard reason?
Speaker 4: You bet so. For everybody listening, I want to clarify that mult thing that I said. When I said the molt thing, I'm talking about where you completely cover a plant and you got the bare soil warmth rising up. When you're talking about a palm tree, you're talking a big old trunk up there with something at the top, and that doesn't really apply. You're not putting the same kind of cover over it. So for you to mound up soil or cover soil or put a tarp over that root ball and protect the roots and things, that's fine. Meal palm is very cold hearty. They can take temperatures down into the teens when they're you know, in decent shape. I just wouldn't necessarily want to try that with the roots getting that cold. But yeah, once they're established, they're quite hearty. But for this one, let's just protect the base of it, the roots a little bit there. And I don't see what the kind of weather we're having here in Houston area that you need to you need to be that concerned about a mule pom.
Speaker 30: Okay, so so so me stacking the mult all the way around the base and they're still in their pots and putting that most all around there, then it should be okay.
Speaker 4: Yes, because you're insulating the roots. Okay, that's what the mulch is doing for that palm tree, then saying, I don't know that that's necessary. It may it may not be, but I'm just saying, don't what I said about mult does not apply to what you're doing to that move.
Speaker 30: No, I totally understand, sir. I totally understand, Thank you. But I did hear the previous conversation.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, right, so, yeah, that happens a lot on garden line, and I always like that to clarify, Yeah, you picked a you picked a great palm. Mule palms are awesome. They're hearty, they're fast growing, they're they're just they're great.
Speaker 30: Okay, one more question, sir. So I haven't put them in the ground because when we got them, which was like a month ago, I thought to myself that it's not a good time to plant them. Right, So when when is a good time to put them in the ground. What would you think?
Speaker 4: We usually plant palms when the weather worms up a little bit. You know, they they don't really want to mess with growing and stuff until things warm up. So whereas with a lot of our trees and stuff, we're saying, hey, get them planted and fall in winter, you know, before the heat of the summer arrives. People plant palm trees in the middle of hot summer, so you don't you're not in a hurry. But when it warms up a little bit, you can get that thing in the ground.
Speaker 30: Okay, all right, thank you for taking my call. I love to shows.
Speaker 17: You're awesome.
Speaker 4: Thank you appreciate that. Good luck with that. Well, there we did it. We put another, put another show in the books. Wish you well, stay warm this this week. This is the kind of weather that gives our fruit trees great chilling. Chilling hours occur primarily around forty degrees forty five thirty five somewhere in there. We're going to have a lot of that weather as we go through. So who knows, maybe you have a good bloom and a good fruit production coming there with fruit. Talk to you tomorrow.