Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Bell and Pollock Accident and injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell, Mandy Ton.
Speaker 3: On KOAM ninety one FM.
Speaker 4: Got Guy Can the nicety three Ny Donald Keeping Sad Things.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to a Friday edition, to the show altogether. Now please give up. All right, Well you're going to take you right up until three o'clock. I've got a question and you can respond on the Common Spirit Health text line by texting us at five sixty six nine. Oh, how many of you out there and listening?
Speaker 3: Land?
Speaker 2: Actually? You who with us? Yahoo? How many? How many?
Speaker 1: Woo?
Speaker 5: Who?
Speaker 6: I mean? I think we need to just have people text in saying.
Speaker 2: Whoooo oh yeah, man, if they do, what's holding you back?
Speaker 6: That was where I was going, so say either woo woo, yes, why WoT?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: If you don't, I mean, if you're in your office, that might seem like a valid reason. But imagine how exciting it would be if at noon every Friday you sat there in your cubicle with your headphones on and just yelled out woohoo. I mean it would be it would be like a thing. You'd be noticed. The woo who person, it would be incredible?
Speaker 6: Well are you woo wooing, Steve?
Speaker 3: Well, if you have a heard of the Mandy Connell Show, you con doing the very free to use iHeartRadio.
Speaker 6: Wow, that's awesome. Can I get involved? Yes, you can use the red little top bag mugg and you can talk to Mandy Conna.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, you can text in.
Speaker 6: Two five six six, you're the commentary of health text line.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 3: Can I talk to on the phone sometimes three three five three or three one three eight five A five when.
Speaker 2: That's the thing we're doing. Yeah, I I we we honestly, Uh really, no one ever calls anymore to Uh, let's talk about what's on because we got a lot of stuff on the blog today, and I actually left a lot of stuff off the blog that I found that was kind of interesting. I just figured I'd put it on next week's blog because there's a lot of little stories. Obviously, the biggest story in the country is still the horrific fires raging in southern California, and they are still raging, and Pacific Palisades is pretty much gone. At Malibu, huge swaths of Malibu are gone. Uh, this is such a devastating event. I mean really devastating, and it's easy to pick on people from California about wow. I hope you're not one of those people on the internet dunking on peoples that you disagree with politically have just lost everything. I certainly hope that's not what you're spending your time doing. Oh, this person said, I just did of the woo who and I scared the dog. Your dog needs to toughen up.
Speaker 6: Okay, it's your dog. The woo who with you?
Speaker 2: Yes, I woo who? Everyone says this person, I do wahoo. How funny. I usually don't, but I did just now woohoo a woo hoo? Or yes, everybody, you guys sometimes just shouting out woohoo, it's gonna lift your spirits. How can you not will yell out woohoo and then not be happier? I'm sure there's woo see just try it. You're having a bad day, you're in a intense conversation with your spouse, why don't you just take a sec and be like woohoo. Maybe not an intense conversation with your spouse, that would be a bad idea, But you know, sometimes your actions can actually lift your mood. Sometimes if you just do and you act a certain way, your mood will follow. And that's what the Wooho's all about. This person said, I do, although it is silent in my cubicle, otherwise loud and proud everywhere else. Love the show. Thank you, sir, Thank you very much. Appreciate you. Let's go to the blog for a moment, shall we. You can find it by going to mandy'sblog dot com. That's mandy'sblog dot com. Look for the headline this says one ten twenty four blog what is psychedelic like assisted therapy plus brain injury help? Click on that and here are the headlines you will find within techte.
Speaker 5: A winner, I didn'ts in office, half of American All with ships and clipments A save a tona press.
Speaker 2: Class today on the blood. Let's talk about the use of psychedelics in therapy. Let's talk about traumatic brain injury for a minute. Paul Is welcomes the FEDS to deport criminal aliens the Cali fires Coadjack of our insurance rates, two new puffing victims. John young Quis finds out how the sausage is made. Yes, our suicide rates are too high. Explosive home price growth is over for now. Being an underdog doesn't bother the Broncos. Oh wow, that's shacked up there. How to scare an introvert? I don't know who did this. Menopausal women are ready to ride at dawn. TikTok threatens the Supreme Court. Bobert introduces a bill to acts the ATF. Anita Bryant has passed Biden's trans heavy title nine reforms are dead. Fox News will be facing smart Maneck in court. Delta gets kudos for having a heart. Could the Broncos be coming to lone treat? The Consumer electronics show is over. The mayor of La says, let's not point fingers. What longevity experts do in their own lives. Lots of fun stuff to do this weekend. Six new non alcoholic beers to try tgif everybody? How Snoop Dogg became Snoop? Those are the headlines on the blog at Mandy's blog dot com.
Speaker 6: What what was the website of our blog again?
Speaker 2: Mandy's blog dot Cohow not at your el got it?
Speaker 6: Just making sure? I'm I'm just making sure that to.
Speaker 2: Play that I was just gonna play this. I didn't get it in time for me to put it on the blog this morning because I had an appointment this morning. Got ready, but you do, Okay, So we are having a grand old time mocking the mayor of Los Angeles, who in the most one of the most well Los Angeles has had its moments right where things have gone terribly wrong, but this is a particularly bad moment in the history of Los Angeles, California. And unfortunately their mayor, who, after the fire warnings went up flew to Ghana so she could be there for the inauguration of the new Ghanese president. And I believe it's gone. He's gonna, He's gonna, isn't Ghana? Whatever she was in Ghana when all this started happening, she has been an abject failure since she got back, and it continued last night when she had a full on Joe Biden moment while reading from prepared remarks at the lectern. Please let's hear Mayor Karen Bass of Los Angeles, California right now.
Speaker 8: If you need help, emergency information, resources and shelter is available.
Speaker 9: All of this can be found at you are l bruh, you are l oh, my god, at you are L.
Speaker 8: So one of your funny go ahead right now if you need help, emergency information, resources and shelter is available.
Speaker 9: All of this can be found at you are L.
Speaker 6: Ruh. First of all, what are we doing?
Speaker 2: Let me just explain to those of you who may not understand, you know how briefing for oppressor goes. Her staff prepared those comments, and someone on her staff was supposed to insert the u r L before they printed it out, and they just didn't, and no one fact checked it, no one looked at it. And she should have said, oh, they forgot the website, but instead she just said, you are L. You know what, that had to be incredibly comforting for the people of California that have lost everything. Their homes are destroyed, they have nowhere to go, they have no clue what's happening next.
Speaker 9: It must be.
Speaker 2: Incredibly comfort comforting for them to know that if they need help, all they have to do is go to u URL.
Speaker 3: She kept going and didn't realize it either. Yeah, yeah, I watched the full clip.
Speaker 2: She kept going, I think she doesn't know what a URL is? I mean, is that is that possible to not know what a URL is?
Speaker 3: I'm going to give her a one percent saving grace because I saw in the comments on the video.
Speaker 6: I saw with the universities there.
Speaker 3: Being UCLA and USC Maybe she thought for a second, brain farted and thought can be found maybe at like at the campuses of the.
Speaker 2: University specifically, was talking about the website. Play it again, Play it again, I mean, just play the whole thing again real quick. Here we go, because she doesn't have possible right now.
Speaker 8: If you need help, the emergency information resources and shelter is available.
Speaker 9: All of this can be found at you.
Speaker 2: Oh maybe she didn't. I thought she had mentioned websites specifically.
Speaker 6: So maybe you are.
Speaker 2: Can we hope that's the case because if not, bruh, shame, shame, shame.
Speaker 6: Where is the PIO?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and okay, that's the thing. First of all, you you know, you can make the argument the mayor needs to be heard at these press conferences.
Speaker 9: I get it.
Speaker 2: But then the mayor's says, and now here is blabbaye blah, our public information officer, which is what PIO stands for, and she is going to fill in some of the details of what we're doing. And then you step aside and you let your public information officer most of whom have come from the media. Don't you think most of the pios I have dealt with have had such a media experience in their background. That's why they're chosen to be the public information officer. So then you hand it over. But she she's a disaster.
Speaker 6: Here's the thing. Her team needs to take a page out of Joe Biden's team.
Speaker 3: When you know your leader, don't got it, hide the person as much as you can, Yep, Hide them behind a wall of people that will talk for you back and make decisions for you. They are not getting the memo that you can do that because the president could. Yeah, the mayor of LA be hidden behind the wall of pios and pr people because.
Speaker 6: Stop bliddy, you're getting front of a microphone.
Speaker 2: Hang on, have Mayor of Los Angeles salary?
Speaker 6: Should we drop up her resignation letter now? Or let her team do it?
Speaker 2: Well, we're gonna have plenty of time to point fingers later. That's her standard line now, And her standard line is she makes two hundred and thirty two dollars at four hundred and twenty three hundred. Let me try that again, Oh, two hundred and thirty two, four hundred and twenty six dollars according to the La Times. Fellow farer, Oh wow, No, wait a minute, that's from twenty ten. She's got to make more than that now, mayor of Los Angeles. Blah blah blah. Two hundred and sixty nine thousand, three hundred and sixty five dollars. That is two hundred and fifty thousand dollars too much in my opinion. But ultimately she is uh never going to have a political career after this. Can we talk for a second about something that's not on the blog because I had this yesterday. Kamala Harris has announced that she is canceled a trip that no one knew that she was going to take, and ultimately she canceled it. I'm trying to find this on Twitter very very quickly.
Speaker 10: Oh.
Speaker 6: Here it is.
Speaker 2: In response to historic wildfires in Los Angeles, the Vice President has made the decision to cancel her and the Second Gentleman's upcoming trip to Singapore, Bahrain, and Germany. She will remain in the United States to support the federal response. She thinks she still has a political career, you guys. First of all, does anybody believe that her going to Singapore Bahrain and Germany on the taxpayer dime, is anything more but a last minute vacation. I mean, come on, Kamala Harris really believes that she has a future. Someone needs to tell her she does not, and nor does Karen Vass of Los Angeles. You know what's happening. In a completely shallow, police only way of looking at what's happening in Los Angeles right now, we have several levels where women have been elevated to positions that they are not qualified for, whether it's the lesbian running the fire department or the mayor who is running Los Angeles badly. There are women failing spectacularly because they were hired because they were women, not because they were ready or right for the job. And that puts women back decades, decades, and not only that, it casts dispersions on every other woman who has made it to a position of power, who did work and get it the right way. I mean, you guys, it's like it's terrible and the people of Los Angeles. I was talking to Chuck about this today. What is going to happen in California after these fires are done is really unpredictable. Right at this very moment, because we're talking about billions of dollars in real estate that's already been destroyed, and all of it is in the exact same place. So now you have a dearth of architects and contractors. The permitting departments are going to be completely overwhelmed, and at the same time, some people are just going to give up and move Now while all of this stuff is being rebuilt, I'm guessing in California, it's probably going to take three to four years to get this stuff even rebuilt to any modicum of rebuilding. All of the money that would be in the community and in the economy from those houses, property values, property taxes, sales taxes, all of the things that used to bring in money for the state of California, they're gone, and the State of California would refuse. And I had this on the blog yesterday, but we didn't talk about it. State Farm is getting a lot of crap because they canceled a bunch of policies in the Palisades area last fall. But they did so because they went to the State of California and said, we need to charge higher premiums to cover for the increased wildfire risk that we now see in the near future, in the near future, near term, and the State of California said no, we're not gonna let you raise rates. So that means I'm guessing at least a portion of the people that were just dropped by State farm became reliant on California's own insure last resort, the state run option. So that means the state is now on the hook for helping all these people rebuild, and they're not going to have the same money coming in that they had before this thing. This fire could utterly and completely collapse California's entire system. That is a real possibility. And so the devastation here is so far reaching, and we haven't even finished it yet. These fires aren't remotely out and I don't know if.
Speaker 9: Anybody else saw this.
Speaker 2: They're literally catching people with blow torches trying to start more fires.
Speaker 9: I mean, what the hell.
Speaker 2: This is just super incredibly bad and it is not going to be a short term situation. If you think we've seen a lot of Californias before this, Holy cow, wait until they get their insurance checks and they look at their burned out house and know they're not going to be able to get it done. For four years in California because everything in California takes too long because of government, and they're going to pack up and say enough, we're done, We're out of here. That's exactly what happened in Florida after Hurricane Andrew, where I lived in North Florida, which had never had an influx of anyone from any other part of Florida. All of a sudden, we're getting all these people moving from Miami because they got a check that allowed them to move to a rural area by a decent piece of property and build a house and have money left over. They chose not to rebuild. And how far beaten down do you have to be as a Californian before you just decide it's not worth it anymore, and you look for a place with a similar climate, maybe slightly similar politics because you haven't learned your lesson.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: And then here they come Colorado. Here they come with big checks to buy real estate for cash. So here's my only thing is this, Maybe losing your home in a catastrophic fire changes your politics enough that they won't continue to help Colorado californicate itself at the rate that we have been doing so maybe just maybe, well what we'll see, we shall see. I mean, these fires are having long term repercussions, and one of them is in our insurance costs. I've got two stories today, one kind of a macro view of talking about how big insurers are starting to pull coverage in certain areas of Colorado because of the fire risks and wildfire risk and things of that nature. And this is one of those things where government is going to look at this and say, Okay, we need to further tax other taxpayers, create some kind of government option, which we've already done, and then that's going to solve the problem, when in reality they need to be going to the insurance companies and saying, what can we do as a government to decrease the risk and make it more likely that you want to cover us Here in Colorado. The big thing driving our costs here in Colorado where hail claims you know I have. I don't know them. They live several blocks away from me, but I've seen them get four new roofs in the last ten years. Now, Guys, I know haill damage can be really bad, but my house went through those same hailstorms. My neighbor's homes went through those same hailstorms. It's like every time they have a hailstorm they make a claim. We need to get better about not abusing our homeowners insurance cause right now it's going to create a disastrous situation in Colorado. In California, we'll talk more about the on the other side, because the Wall Street Journal does a deep dive, but it's paywalled, so i'll share it with you. Next, I want to finish talking about what California is going to do to our our homeowner's insurance here in Colorado, because this is this is going to be a very significant thing that we need to pay attention to. And the Wall Street Journal had a long story on it that says what wildfires mean for America's home insurance bills, with insurance losses ballooning, home insurance rates and places like Vermont and Virginia are rising too. And now this is really frustrating to me because this is one of those patently unfair things, right that you have to deal with. Say you choose to move to a place with a relatively mild climate that doesn't have a lot of natural disasters. Every place in the United States of America has some kind of natural disaster. I mean, at some point they have to deal with something. But maybe you move to a place this statistically has and you do that consciously. You choose not to try and move to the beach, even though you'd love to live at the beach, because you know that the liability there is so high, So you choose to move someplace base. And then and then all of a sudden, your insurance company is like, yeah, we're gonna have to raise your rates because people who live on the ocean in California just wiped out. You know, all their stuff was wiped out. Like this's just, in my mind, patently unfair. And yet that is how insurance works, and it has to work that way or it wouldn't work at all.
Speaker 3: And this is what.
Speaker 2: California is about to find out, because California is they have a state run insurer of last resort. I don't know how many policies they have, I don't know how much how much actual business, like with their book of business in terms of what they're now on the hook for. Looks like I'm guessing too the California probably won't have enough money in their reserves because I bet they don't hold their own insurance to the same standards they hold private insurance too. Private insurers are required by law to hold x amount of dollars in kind of liquid assets, so they're able to pay those claims should the claims come in. Now, with a kind of catastrophic situation we're seeing right now and coming on the heels of a massive hurricane that destroyed parts of North Carolina, Florida, and Georgia, you are talking massive, massive, massive insurance losses right now. So those reserves for some insurance companies are going to be tapped out. We're in a very precarious situation. So I understand that in order to make insurance work the way it does, we've got, you know, whoever lives in that low area is going to absorb some of the risk of someone who lives in a high risk area. But the problem is is that people in California who live on the ocean are not paying enough in premiums. They're not pulling their weight. And I don't even know what they're paying, but I guarantee it's not enough. Because if state farm drop policies and palisades, because the State of California would not let them raise rates to a level that they thought they could make sure that they would be able to pay their claims. Then you know that they're underpaying the state. And don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge a single person who has a beautiful home in a high risk area because they've made the choice to do that. But boy, there are responsibilities that come along with that, and ridiculously expensive insurance is one of them. And unfortunately, if you can't afford that, then you can't afford to live on the beach. That's just the way it is. So this is very frustrating, but listen to this. A Harvard Business School study found that expensive disasters in some parts of the country affect insurance rates in others, as insurers bump up premiums for homeowners in other areas to help cover big losses. It's spread all over the country, and it spreads in a disproportionate way where some people are bearing an overwhelmingly higher cost, and the people bearing that cost often live in states where insurers face looser rules about what they can charge. Insurance regulations are set up to make sure companies' rates reflect the cost of doing business in a particular state. But in reality, the study found homeowners in places like Vermont and Virginia, which have lighter regulations, can see increased bills because what we're seeing here is California by refusing to allow those rates to reflect what market value should really be, they've now offloaded the responsibility for those higher rates into people in states that have Lucy goosey insurance situations. So California is gaming the system. And I, for one, would love to see California have to stand on its own two feet, but I think that these fires may knock what's left of California's own two feet out from under them, because this is just devastation. There's just mind blowing, absolutely mind blowing. And now there's a new brush fire.
Speaker 6: Great.
Speaker 2: Great. This is the kind of situation that even if your house doesn't burn down, people are going to want to get out of California. And because the lot of people are going to be displaced and perhaps displaced permanently, there's going to be a lot of people need and by I think we see another mass exodus out of the state of California because of this, among other things. The other part of this, and we're going to get into this later because I don't want to make this into a big political thing while people are still losing their homes. But you have to wonder, at least I have to wonder what this does to California politically, because if the people of California look at their quote leadership in this disaster and then take a minute to compare it to Ron DeSantis's leadership in a similar situation, do you think at that point they start to question their political allegiances simply based on the efficacy of what they've been voting for. I mean, it's a stretch, I bet. I'm just saying, perhaps this is the beginning of the end for really poor, misguided governance that focuses on all the wrong things while letting the right things crumble. And I'm telling you we in Colorado we are poised to be in the exact same situation because right now, instead of making sure that our roads in the outlying areas are good enough so emergency vehicles can pass, we are redirecting all of our road money to mass transit that no one is writing, and no one is really indicated they want to ride. That's the kicker about that.
Speaker 3: Isn't it.
Speaker 2: We're spending money on things that don't matter. We're spending money on offices and making healthcare affordable.
Speaker 6: Or some crap like that.
Speaker 2: We're spending money on more government employees. We're spending money on everything. But what are we doing to mitigate our own fire risk? What are we doing to work with insurance companies to find out what what government can do to help the citizens mitigate as much fire damage as we can. Now, I know in my neighborhood, our community is a firewise community. So our community, our HOA, we have a very love our HOA. They're not in your busines, but they're very helpful when it comes to mitigating fire risk. I mean we need more of that, right, we need more of Let's talk about how we make sure that we don't have huge stands of dead trees that just become an absolute firestorm with big wins. You know, that's the kind of stuff we need to be focused on, and yet we're not. You know, it's just our priorities are askew everybody, And I'd love to think that these kind of disasters, as horrible as they are, and I would not wish this on anyone or any state. You'd hope that we would look at this and say, Okay, what are we doing that's like that? What are we doing that's not like that? That needs to be done to make sure that we are not another version of that. I mean, I'd love to hear that conversation, but I don't hear anybody else having it. Anyway, when we get back. I got some good stuff on the blog today, really good stuff, but kind of some ho hum news about our housing market. I'll explain when we get back. This is the kind of partisan that is not super helpful. I realized I brought politics into it a few minutes ago, but I'm not doing it in a way that I'm not dunking on anyone in this texture said, I've had a really hard time feeling bad for California. They voted for their leadership and have continued to vote for the policies and that lead they have. I am very concerned they will move here without learning. I get it. I do get it, and I think it will be incumbent on Coloraden's to remind them of why they had to leave in the first place. But you have to understand people are not maliciously choosing bad policy. They chose this stuff because it sounded great, didn't It sounded super like we're going to solve all the world's problems. We're gonna make sure everybody's taken care of. We're gonna cure homelessness while only exacerbating it. And you know, for people, a vast majority of people, talk radio listeners are far more knowledgeable than your average bear about what's going on. Most people trip through life and they tune in and pay attention right before election, or they may skim the news every day, but they don't really pay attention. They don't look to see the long game, right, They're just taking life. They're taking history in little, tiny chunks as it comes.
Speaker 9: So you can't.
Speaker 2: Necessarily be mad at a majority of Americans, which I would say a majority of Americans fall into that camp. Some of my friends who are extremely successful, wonderful people, wonderful family people, they don't watch the news at all, not even a little bit, and their attitude is there's nothing I can do to change it, So why do I get sucked into it, involved and angry about it? I was like, well, I guess the rest of us will do the hard work for you. I don't know, Mandy, are the fires in La bad luck, liberal policies, arson or terrorism checking out our infrastructure in a major city. There's no evidence of any sort of terrorism related situation. I saw a guy who lives in California a few days ago on a television show and he said, look, everybody knows, including the insurance companies, that homeless people start fires all the time. They start them in revenge, they start them to cook something, they start them, and they never put them out. So it is inevitable that La would burn because of the number of homeless people. So the implication there is that this is some homeless person's fire that got out of control. They had arrested a guy for arson, but they said they did not have enough evidence, so we'll see what happens. My thinking is it was arsin or a down power line, because, as Adam Corolla said, this Texter just pointed out. Adam Corolla said it well on his podcast yesterday. California is spending ninety billion dollars on their high speed railed to nowhere that will never get completed, rather than spending a fraction of that undergrounding the nineteen thirties power lines in known high risk areas. That is exactly what I was talking about earlier. Stupid, idiotic, dumbass priorities, the same kind of priorities we are showing here in Colorado, just throwing out there. We're just throwing them out there. This Dexter rightly says Mandy. The problem with California moving here and choosing bad policy. We can't rely on Colorado to teach them differently. We're more blue than them at this point. This is where we need a functioning, thriving Republican party without you know, divisive people at the top pushing people out of the party who can explain why the policies that Republican candidates want to pursue are better for the state than the same old, same old they just left in California. And I think if we get another big influx of Californians, any political candidate that's running should do messaging specifically for people who just moved here. I've always thought candidate should do this and say, hey, look, you know what, welcome to our beautiful state. Here's why we love it and probably why you love it too.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about what you left and why you left it, and if you vote for my opponent, you are voting for the same policies that destroyed the state you used to love. I mean, I would go right at it, absolutely, Mandy. I see so many smokers throwing cigarette butts out the window of their car, you guys, this makes me crazy. When I was a smoker, I had a water bottle in my car, about a half full of water, and that is where I put my cigarette butts. And when it got a little bit full, I threw it away, got a different water bottle, and so on and so forth. Because if somebody burns my house down because somebody threw a cigarette butt out the window, I promise you you will never have a moment of rest until I die, because I will make your life a living hell if I could find out who it is. So I didn't mean to go on about this. Now when we get back, going in a completely different direction, you may have heard that magic mushrooms psilocybin has now been decriminalized in Denver and there will be a licensing program so people can use psychedelics to assist in therapy. When we get back, I'm going to talk to a therapist who already works in psychedelics with ketamine and cannabis, and she is in the process of becoming a licensed provider for psilocybin. We're just going to find out what it's all about, because I actually would.
Speaker 9: Like to know.
Speaker 2: We'll do that next on KOA.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Belle and Pollock Accident and injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell.
Speaker 7: And Connall.
Speaker 9: On KOA.
Speaker 2: Ninety one.
Speaker 7: Amata say the nicety three Andy Connell Keith sad thing.
Speaker 2: Let me try that again with my microphone on Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to the second hour of the show. I am a trained professional. Do not attempt this at home. We are entering a whole new world in Colorado. I actually maybe an ancient world, but we'll get more to that in a month moment. A whole new world in the sense we have now decriminalized psilocybin, which is the active ingredient in magic mushrooms, and we are going to allow psilocybin or psychedelic assisted therapy in Colorado. And I would like to know more about this for two reasons. Number one, I learned a lot from the legalization of marijuana, which started out as a medicinal thing and now has turned into something much much different. So I want to find out what's happening right now with psychedelic assisted therapy, why it works, or if you know how it works, and they're therefore we can begin to understand why this is happening in the first place. And I brought someone on today. Her name is Perad Meyer. She is with Beyond the Mind Psychotherapy and she currently does psychedelicals assistant therapy that uses cannabis and ketamine, and she is already in the training process to use psilocybin parad Has anybody been licensed yet? I know it just rolled out what ten days ago, so no one's actually been licensed for that as of yet.
Speaker 4: Do you know?
Speaker 11: You know, my guess is not yet.
Speaker 10: I think it's possible people have applied, but I don't think anyone's been approved yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, I would ask you first about your current practice because you have two things I want to know about. One of them is somatic body centered psychotherapy, and if you could tell me what that is, because I fairly recently learned about this and I think it sounds very interesting. What is somatic body centered psychotherapy?
Speaker 10: Great question, So somatic therapy, what that means is we are coming with both a philosophy and you know, a protocol or a strategy to work on trauma generally, to work on trauma.
Speaker 11: Through the body rather than through our thoughts or through our behaviors.
Speaker 10: And so what that might look like is tracking our body and in really particular ways, capturing let's say a trigger or a symptom and working with it.
Speaker 11: Such that we can resolve it in the body.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure I understood that to be perfectly like or what does that look like in practice? Can you give me a.
Speaker 10: Trauma specific What that looks like is when a trauma happens, when somebody has a bad experience, what happens is we get stuck. So our nervous system specifically will kind of get stuck, let's say, in a freeze response, and instead of kind of shaking it off and resolving it, what happens is we create patterns around an understanding that the world isn't safe in our body. And then we might create thoughts about that, or we might have behaviors around that, but essentially our body believes we're no longer safe. And for people who end up with PTSD or complex PTSD or kind of prolonged trauma responses, their bodies don't know that they're safe anymore.
Speaker 2: I actually this, this is gonna This probably sounds like ho come to a lot of people, Okay, but I am a huge propone of recognizing the power that our brain has over our body. That is a significant connection. I struggled with fibromyalgia for two years before I was diagnosed, and then once I started treating it like a stress related illness, I went from being in horrible pain to having no pain in like four days. So the mind body connection. Don't scoff at it, you guys. And the reason I asked about somatic therapy is because I recently talked to several people with persistent chronic PTS who said somatic therapy is the thing that cured them and gave them their lives back. And I had really never heard of it. But let me talk today. I know we were talking about psychedelic assistant therapy. Tell me about what you're doing currently with ketamine and cannabis and how that helps or assists in psychotherapy that we couldn't just get through regular talk therapy.
Speaker 11: Great question.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so ketamine, I probably will focus on that because it's more within the realm of kind of psychedelic assistant psychotherapy. It the way that I see it, in the way that a lot of people see it, is that it is a tool that is an adjunct to the therapy somebody's already doing and it so ketamine is not a psychedelic, right. Ketamine is actually dissociative anesthetic, but it has llucinogenic properties, and we're what we're learning with ketamine and with psychedelics in general, is that they have the potential to change our brains. Right, and this is really a key critical factor. And so we're looking at two things. When we add something like ketamine to a therapy process, we're looking at changes in the brain, and then we're also looking at changes in the way that we perceive ourselves. Our past are, symptoms, are issues, whatever we're working on from a different perspective, and having an experience which helps us see that so versus thinking our way through a problem.
Speaker 2: If you ingest ketamine or even psilocybin, you may have an alternate experience. But as far as changing your brain, I was reading a couple studies, because there's not that much research on this as of right now, but there were a couple studies that showed that the changes, even if the super positive changes, if they're not accompanied by ongoing therapy or e MDR or some other form of therapy, you tend to revert back to where you were in the first place. So it's not a permanent change.
Speaker 11: Is it correct?
Speaker 10: Yeah, So it's this is why we're looking at adding it to therapy. So there's so many cool things that happen in the brain with psychedelics. One of the things that happens is that with different psychedelic septances kind of mean included what the neuroscientists are saying are many things.
Speaker 11: Two of the things I'm thinking of this moment, is it.
Speaker 10: One these psychedelics actually helped clean out our brains. They clean out like the intracellular mintrix, right, So the connectivity area in our brains, so that we can remake more new connections, so that in and of itself starts to help us create changes in our lives that maybe thinking or talking through like wasn't quite enough. Right, But if we don't then integrate those sessions, the things that we learned about ourselves in let's say, academy in session, and activate them in our life, right, kind of move them forward, whether that's a behavior or a way of being, or just kind of an understanding about ourselves.
Speaker 11: We're going to revert back. You know, there's some thinking around.
Speaker 10: You know, what I would say is the coolest thing about the neuroscience that's coming out now is this idea of critical periods, and a critical period is potential for new learning in our brains.
Speaker 11: That historically we've thought ends around puberty.
Speaker 10: But we're finding with psychedelics is that different substances can reopen critical periods, meaning that we can relearn or we can learn new information for the first time dults. And so that's another reason that we want to keep integration moving forward after a psychedelic experience of therapy is that we have potential, right whether it's days or weeks, to implement something new in our brands and then in our lives.
Speaker 2: Why is this different than just regular psychotherapy? Is it for all the reasons you just said that the actual changes to the brain. Is this appropriate for people that either struggle to open up in therapy? I mean, how I guess. I guess there's a lot of people out there who say we should never legalize psychedelics in any way. Shape or form. But obviously you believe that they have a useful usefulness in certain situations. What would those situations be in your mind? Who would you recommend for this therapy? Who would you say this is not right for great?
Speaker 10: Yeah, So the way that I think about, like why would I choose a client or why would somebody benefit from this type of therapy? So psychedelics they accelerate the work that somebody is already doing. That's the way that I see it in my practice. And for somebody, let's say that is suffering from trauma. That is my specialty and what I work with the most will used as an example. They might be suffering day in and day out, right, and they're doing the therapy, they're showing up every week. We're working with all of these different really well known strategies to create healing, and it's just slow. And so psychedelics have the potential to accelerate that process. They also, as you said, have the potential to help increase safety in the room. They kind of take down our guard a little bit and so we can get deeper faster.
Speaker 9: Ok.
Speaker 10: FROs and comes to that of course, right, because sometimes that's too much for people, right, so we want to make sure it's safe for them to do at that time. The other thing is that there is this way in which we know, right we come into therapy for trauma, we know we're working on the trauma, we also have all these mechanisms to avoid it, right, and so we spend all this time trying to like, I want to work on this, but actually that's too scary, and psychedelics can really help us bypass that piece so that we can just get to the point.
Speaker 2: It strips away the consciousness that prevents you from wanting to deal with whatever it is that's right.
Speaker 10: So another kind of brain terminology, we utilize this idea of kind of bottom up processing versus top down. So if we are thinking we're using our prefrontal cortexes to process, we can also use our prefrontal cortexis to avoid versus if we're letting things come up naturally and getting out of our own way, we can actually get to the pieces of the work we need to get to more efficiently.
Speaker 2: Got a lot of questions from our text line. For parad Meyers, she is with Beyond the Mind psychotherapy. She is already doing psychedelic assistant psychotherapy. She uses cannabis and ketamine in her practice, and we'll be adding psilocybin when she's through the process of getting her training and her licensing here in Colorado. But several questions, Mandy, are your guest somatic therapy are all that experiences trauma?
Speaker 12: HM?
Speaker 2: Not necessarily. I have the beholder, and I mean that not flippantly. I think some people are deeply affected by some things that other people manage to sort of move past. I really that feels like a very individualized question, doesn't it.
Speaker 11: That's right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So I mean the way we think about trauma is it's not the event, it's the way it impacts us.
Speaker 11: Right, So it's going to be different for everybody.
Speaker 3: This one.
Speaker 2: Somebody asked, what about microdosing? And people are microdosing now for anxiety, But I mean, is that's not what we're talking about in terms of what you're doing. That's a completely different issue, and I'm guessing as a therapist you may not be a super fan of that for people just microducing their way through life.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's a really good question, and it's something that's really a hot topic in Colorado. So microdosing is the idea of taking let's say, psilocybin and taking it a certain you know, protocol, couple days in, a couple of days off, but non perceptual. You're not seeing anything, you're not feeling anything. It's just in your system, right. It's almost like taking a supplement or a vitamin versus you know, psychedelic dosing or the really big experiences people think of all the time.
Speaker 11: And then in therapy we're actually aiming for something in between.
Speaker 10: And so often people will call it like a psycholytic dose, which means you feel the impact of let's say the psilocybin.
Speaker 11: You know you're high on it.
Speaker 10: But you can also engage with a therapist in therapy and do the therapeutic process.
Speaker 12: You're not going to see my Work's.
Speaker 2: Like you're in a dead show looking at your hand for eight hours. I mean, that's not what you're after here this way?
Speaker 7: Do you know?
Speaker 3: It might be?
Speaker 2: But not in my office.
Speaker 3: Figure, Hi, I've been.
Speaker 2: Doing therapy for over ten years for one specific issue. It has never helped. I am open to trying this. That sounds like the kind of person that it might benefit.
Speaker 10: That's right, you know, when you ask this question before the really cool thing that's happening right now is that therapy is no longer just for people who are quote unquote sick or mentally ill.
Speaker 11: And so there's this huge range.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 10: So for most people that I get in my practice have that story, They've been doing talk therapy for ten years, it hasn't worked.
Speaker 11: They come in, we try something different, and it can be really profound.
Speaker 10: Other end of that spectrum is like, you don't really have to have a huge problem in your life to benefit from this kind of therapy.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 11: You might come in here and say, I just want to, like I.
Speaker 10: Don't know, feel more authentic, or engage with my partner in a deeper way, right, or engage with nature in a different way.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 11: So this is really kind of pushing the edge of what therapy can mean.
Speaker 10: You know, technically speaking, when we look at the research, we're often looking at things like treatment resistant depression or PTSD.
Speaker 11: Those are the biggies and the research you know, OCD is starting to show up.
Speaker 2: But what is are there mental health disorders that are that this is not appropriate for me?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean you know, research might show us differently later on as we progress, but currently, you know, if you have let's say schizophrenia, Probably that's not going to be a good fit. Certain types of bipolar might not be a great fit.
Speaker 11: But we're the most.
Speaker 10: Part, you know, medications and medical history aside. It's it's got a lot of potential with a lot of different conditions.
Speaker 11: And that's one of the exciting things.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you about medications next. If you have someone who's already on an antidepressant or some other form of medication, is there a concern about that contraindicating.
Speaker 10: Yes, So one of the things we're looking at kind of statewide is having medical providers, you know, starting part of that intake process to make sure that this is safe. But the biggies are going to be any kind of medication that has to do with serotonin could potentially be problematic. Now that's different with ketamine, but for kind of the classic psilocybin psychedelics, antidepressants don't generally go hand in hand.
Speaker 2: When you are what is the research that we do have and I know there's not uh, I mean newer research I don't know about, but what does the research say so far? What do you see that gives you hope that this is the right way to go.
Speaker 10: You know, so neuroscience is great, obviously, I'm a proponent of that. There's a there's a ton of good stuff out there. Johns Hopkins is a great place to start. They've done a lot on psilocybin. There's some great research out in California about neuroscience. You know, things are pointing to psychedelics, psilocybin, even you know, ketamine et cetera. Are like they're opening new pathways to healing, new pathways to like, how can we do this differently?
Speaker 11: And for the most part we are seeing success, sometimes great success.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 10: The critique I would have is that research is not real life, right, and things look different in the therapy room. So you know, if you're if you're hearing like do three sessions and you're going to heal your PTSD, I would argue, that's not exactly how it works outside the lab.
Speaker 11: But it is very, very very promising.
Speaker 2: Somebody just said this, and I'll give you a chance to clarify this. You mean, I don't have to have a mental disorder to come trip in your office? Sign me up. Do you have a process to decide who becomes a patient and who does not?
Speaker 11: Great question?
Speaker 10: It depends where you go, right. So in my office, I do not accept insurance. I don't have to justify any kind of diagnosis for care.
Speaker 11: So yeah, they could come on in. That would be okay.
Speaker 10: You know, personally I tend to prioritize people that are suffering because you know they need it a little bit sooner. But the truth is is I have a big range of both who come in for ketamine currently.
Speaker 2: One last question or one last statement, and this is kind of one of the things that I don't think I need you to address, but one of the concerns a lot of people, including me, have mandy. I know a couple of people who are micro dosing for nights on the town, so get ready for the abuse. By the way, they get the doses from a friend with a prescription. I hate to see the abuse, and I want to talk to you about that aspect, because in your office you can weed out someone who would be a bad candidate. I mean, but we just saw a teenager in Bolder climb a crane when he was you know, tripping on mushrooms and accidentally kill himself. So what are your thoughts on that? Knowing you use it therapeutically that you're going to be using it therapeutically, Do you have thoughts on how to either manage that or tamp down people's fears of that becoming a bigger problem? Sure? Yeah.
Speaker 10: I mean, if we're looking at addiction in general and we just simmer it down to potential for addiction, generally speaking, at least the classic psychedelics don't have a whole lot of potential for addiction. Keta mean's a different story. Ketamine, it's kind of in the middle, right, you know, it has potential for addiction. Most people that are using ketamine recreationally and then develop a problem with it are using it, let's say, you know, often snorting it.
Speaker 11: That's very different than what we would do in therapy. Right, in therapy you have like a prescribed lozenge or something like that.
Speaker 10: You know, we see the outliers here, and often the outliers are people who are not considering who they are, how they're doing, how stable or unstable they are, what other substances they're taking, right, and maybe like don't carefully take their psychedelics and hurt themselves, right, But those are the outlier stories.
Speaker 2: Paradmi are fascinating conversation, and we chatted about this off the air before you came on. But when will you be what do you think roughly you'll be up and running through the program, through the training with the state and all of that stuff.
Speaker 10: Sure, So there's a handful of trainings for providers and in Colorado, WI, what we're going to have is facilitators versus clinical facilitators.
Speaker 11: So I'm in a clinical facilitating program.
Speaker 10: In Colorado that ends in May, and then I think it's maybe fifty hours of supervision and a number of hours of experience prior to getting licensed.
Speaker 11: But I do know, yeah, probably in the next year.
Speaker 2: I have a lot of people on the text line that are asking very specific questions about specific conditions. So what I'm going to do, because we're out of time, I'm going to I put a link to doctor Myer's website so people can email you, they can contact you. If you have specific conditions, Please just reach out to her because I'm sure that every situation she's going to have follow up questions that are going to need to be answered.
Speaker 9: But very very.
Speaker 2: Interesting parad Thank you so much for coming on and talking about this, and perhaps we'll have you on again in seven or eight months to kind of check in to see how the next stage is going and if you're still happy with the developments here in Colorado. But I very much appreciate your time today.
Speaker 11: Awesome, Thank you so much. Mandy.
Speaker 2: All right, that is perad Meyer, and again you can find her information at her website Beyond the Mind Psychotherapy, and she will have be happy to answer all of your questions. So really interesting stuff, very very interesting stuff. And several of you are weighing in with your tripping stories from back in the day, and yeah, I just reach out if you have questions, So there you go. It's going to be a whole new world in Colorado. And as I said before and then sixty four really should have told everyone, really opened everyone's eyes to how bad things can get. So I am nervous. I am not altogether. I don't know if this has been a real struggle for me because I have always considered myself a small l libertarian, and I'm like, look, adults should be able to do whatever they want to do, but I don't want to be responsible for whatever their poor choices are. Right, if you spend all your money on drugs and alcohol. I don't want to give you mine in the form of tax dollars, but it's just gotten so it has made everyone else's lives so miserable that it has almost beaten the small libertarian out of me. This textor said, Mandy, you can still be a libertarian and be against this stuff because it's not administered or enforced properly. Tell me if you disagree. But my loose definition of libertarian is you do. You just don't make me pay for it. The marijuana things should have been up behind closed doors, but we allowed public use and intoxication. That's the problem. Get high all you want, but keep it on your own private property, and behind the wheel is not included in private property. I agree wholeheartedly. So maybe my issue isn't necessarily about legalization, but about the response to all of the other quality of life crimes that now negatively affect me in the Denver metro area because of someone else's choices. Because, as you know, libertarians love to say your right to punch stops at my nose. So you're right, Texter, you're right. Just wish they'd do a better job at it. Speaking of doing a better job at it, Governor of Polis had his State of the State address yesterday and there was a lot of stuff in it, and you know, we're gonna make housing affordably again.
Speaker 7: Yay.
Speaker 2: One of the surprising things that he said was that he supported Donald Trump coming to Colorado to deport illegal immigrants who had committed crimes. However, he said he drew the line at just deporting people who were law abiding citizens. That, my friends, is what you do when you're running for president. You don't want to pick a fight with Trump because Gavin Newsom already has. Gavin Newsom one has to wonder if his political future is over, at least for the next ten years, over what's going on right now in California, and if he ends up running against someone like Ron de Santis, who has handled emergency after emergency like a freakin' boss, he's done for politically when it comes to running for president. But Jared Polis, I'm telling you, if you watch what Jared Polis does between now and the time he announces that he is seeking the Democratic candidacy for president, you're going to see a masterclass in strategy, slow drip strategy. If you watch the speech, and I watched about three quarters of it. Guy just didn't have time to finish it. It wasn't like some you know, principled stance I took not watching the rest of the speech. I just didn't have time to watch the whole thing in it. He referred to Colorado as the free state of Colorado multiple times. And this is this new thing, right, because Ron DeSantis is currently truly overseeing the free state of Florida. But Jared Polus needs to brand us as the free state of Florida in order to be able to compete with Ron DeSantis on the freedom measure. And now we all know that over the last few years, the Democratic legislature has chipped away at our gun rights. They have chipped away at parental rights and your right as a parent to know that your child has decided that they are the other gender. They have chipped away at a parent's ability to decide when they learned about graphic sex education, things like learning about sex work in first grade. They've chipped away in a lot of our freedoms. They've chipped away at your freedom to get a freaking plastic bag. But he's going to rebrand us as the freedom loving Colorado. But listen, to this, I think we're entering into a new age of new speak. Democrats are going to try and repackage government forced oppression as freedom. Listen to this. Senate Majority Leader Robert Rodriguez, Democrat Denver, use the governor's phrase of the day to push legislation he hopes to pass this session that would get rid of a law requiring a higher election threshold before unions can collect dues from non union members in a unionized workplace. Now, to be clear, that bill is going to force people who do not want to belong to a union to give their hard earned dollars to the union that they don't want to belong to. But Robert Rodriguez, this is what he says. I think, for as many times as he said free state in there, maybe the free state of Colorado's government shouldn't get involved with an employer employee business thing and insert themselves into a negotiation. As somebody who wants workers to have a voice and to say in their business operations and protect themselves and wages and being harmed, I'm a big advocate for promoting that. So to be clear, he is saying that forcing people who do not want to be a part of a union to then fork over their hard earned dollars involuntary and against their will. He's calling that freedom. This is the new thing. This is what we're gonna see now. They're gonna take every single bit of oppression and they are going to repackage it as freedom. It's going to be absurd, and I'm going to tell you about it every single time it happens. Freedom means that you give a business the right to say i'd like unionized employees or not. That's freedom. Freedom is allowing a worker to say, you know what, I appreciate that I work in a unionized workforce, but you guys donate to money that I completely disagree with and I don't want to give you any of mine to.
Speaker 7: Do that with.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'll negotiate my own contract if I need to. I mean, that's freedom. So he's certainly not talking about freedom in this paragraph. It's astounding that they really do think you're that stupid. They think you're too dumb to realize what I just said. And they think that if they just keep telling you it was the same thing they just did in the presidential election cycle, though, wasn't it. They ran around telling you Hey, you know what, This economy is on fire? Can't you fail it cooking? When you're out there going well, why can't I afford gas? Why is my property taxes going up so much? What is happening? I can't afford life. Everything costs twenty percent more than it did a few years ago. And they're telling you this economy is great. It's going to be the same thing in Colorado. They're gonna shove more government regulation down your throat. They're gonna shove more rules down your throat. I we own a rental property and we have a property manager. And if any of you have a rental property that you are tired of the day to day management of that rental property, you send me an email, and I will send you the name of my property manager, because she is outstanding. And at the end of the year, she sent us an email that showed all of the laws that have been passed against landlords. And I say against landlords. And if you don't believe the Democratic legislature is anti landlord, listen to this one rule change. And there's a whole bunch more, whole bunch more that I could share with you, but I'm not because I don't want to bore you. If you're not a landlord in Colorado, if you have to file eviction proceedings to evict someone from your property, and this could be because they haven't paid their rent in six months or whatever. Maybe they've destroyed your property and you want them out. Maybe they're they're engaging in a legal activity in that property, or whatever the reason you want them out of your property. You now have to pay a fee to the city that will then fund your tenants eviction. So you are now paying for both sides of the eviction. If that is not we hate landlords, what is? Because that is insane. They act like every landlord is a slum lord. They act like every landlord mistreats tenants. They act like every landlord is the worst thing in the world here in Colorado. I mean absolutely the worst. So you know, whatever Jared Paula said, it doesn't matter for Colorado. It's all about how it looks when he runs for president. That's all it is. And if you know what, here's the thing, if he's not running for president, then I would love to have a conversation with him where he's gonna explain to me some of the things that he's done that make no sense for Colorado's but are definitely with an eye to where he's going next. This free State of Colorado crap is either designed to make us you know who, you're gonna believe your own lie in eyes or the governor. That's how that feels. Yesterday I went to the store. There were some eggs in the store, so we've made progress out of the I don't know, eight doors worth in the case of eggs, they had like three doors worth of eggs. They had one pack of the pasture raised eggs that I liked. They were ten dollars and forty nine cents and I paid it. And for all the people in the new media running around here saying that this is everywhere with the egg thing, you guys on a regular basis, I am asking my friends in other states to tell me what their egg situation is. And they're all like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 9: What are you talking?
Speaker 2: Of course, we have eggs. It is not across the country. Don't buy that lie either. Call some friends, call some relatives, call people that live around the state. They are not facing the same egg. Go to Wyoming, for God's sake. They're not facing the same egg shortage as we are here. I don't care what anybody else says. It is insane, Mandy. Those union news can also be donated to political organizations that you don't agree with. Correct, So if they want to ban unions from making political donations, I would think that making someone pay union dues would be a reasonable thing to ask. But do you think that's ever gonna happen. Hell no, because the Democrats know that that basically is their slush fund and they're not going to dry that up. I want to share this text message and then I we'll move on from this union talk.
Speaker 9: Mandy.
Speaker 2: I live in Missouri and I'm a fee in my union. That means I only pay chargeable fees, so not one dime of my money goes to the Democrats. To do this, I had to send notarized letters to both the local union and the international chapter. And I had to send it at a specific time of the year. And that's probably not under consideration to make us more free that you should be able to opt out all year long. You should just be able to send an email and say no, I'm good, I am good. So lots of stuff on the blog today, and one quick story. I want to get in really quickly. Right now is the time of year. It's colder than the hell. When you go outside to start your car, a lot of people do what's called puffing. You start the car, you leave it, you go back inside to stay warm. And in Oravada recently two cars we're gone when someone showed up to make them go too. We're stolen in the same manner last week on the same morning. Now, I went to Consumer Reports and an organization I've trusted for a long time, even though they don't always get everything right. Consumer Reports chief mechanic John Ibbitson says that giving the engine a chance to run for a minute, one minute, sixty seconds before driving on a cold day is smart, but there's no need to let it run longer beyond warming the cabin and defogging the windshield. And there's a real downside wasting fuel and generating emissions. And if you go back to what just happened in Nevada, possibly getting your car stolen. An engine is fully lubricated long before it reaches fully operating temperature. When your car sits for an extended period of time, the oil drains down to the bottom of the oil pan. Once you start the engine, the oil pump quickly circulates the oil throughout the motor, lubricating all the necessary moving parts. A cold engine idols at twelve hundred rpm or more, making it quick work of the lubrication process.
Speaker 6: So you do not have to do that.
Speaker 2: You do not have to let your car. I mean, I understand one of your car to be nice and toasty warm. I don't care. I get in, I start my car, I'd pull out of the garage. I'd close the garage door behind me. I sit there for like thirty seconds, and then I'm off pull out of the what garage?
Speaker 6: One more time?
Speaker 2: Garage?
Speaker 6: Not everyone has a luxury parking garage to leave us alone.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying, but I would still walk out. If let's just say my car is parked in front of my house, I would walk out. I would get in, I would start the car. I would sit there for thirty seconds, and then I would drive auto. What I do auto start? Before I don't start, your car remains locked.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's not what we're talking about.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 6: You know, I just wanted to make a point.
Speaker 2: We're talking about people who are starting their cars and then I'm assuming Wait a minute, wait a minute, let me see here.
Speaker 6: One would assume, yes, she started her.
Speaker 2: Car, realized she left something inside her house, she ran back in with her keys still in the ignition grab your coffee, and someone stole her car.
Speaker 6: I can't do that.
Speaker 13: That person was quick, that person was like casing the house to be that fast, or maybe just perfect crime of opportunity, you know, real perfect yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: By the way, puffing is illegal in the state of Colorado. You're not allowed to leave your car idling, even in the super cold weather. But with our car theft situation, it just feels like a uh, you know, an opportunity for an enterprising criminal to go ahead and steal your car. So there you go. Coming up in the next hour, we're gonn let's do a two minute drill here. Oh no, we got a guest to too. We've got Javon coming on from the Marcus Brain Institute at SeeU and Shoots and they're doing amazing thing for people with traumatic brain injury. Today is like how to fix your brain day. We talked about psychedelic A sisted therapy earlier, and now we are talking about about traumatic brain injuries and some of the stuff that they are doing at the Marcus Institute. Had a conversation with my friend Rob today and he is now an ambassador for the Marcus Institute because of the kind of help that they helped provide him. So we're gonna talk to Java Bear from the Marcus Brain Health Institute next.
Speaker 1: The Mandy Connell Show is sponsored by Bell and Pollock Accident and Injury Lawyers.
Speaker 2: No, it's Mandy Connell andy Ton.
Speaker 12: On KOA.
Speaker 2: Ninety one FM.
Speaker 4: God you want to stay the ninety three by Connell keeping sad bab Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the third hour of the show, and we hear a lot about traumatic brain injury and how devastating they can be. So it's time to check in with Javon Bear. He's the Community Outreach specialist for the Marcus Institute for Brain Health at CU and Shoots Medical Campus. And Javon, first of all, welcome to the show.
Speaker 12: Thank you so much for having me many it's a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 2: I want you to just kind of start by talking about what traumatic brain injury is and how it can create long term problems for people.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so traumatic brain injury is in the In recent years, the research has changed about it. You know, we used to think of traumatic brain injury as simply just a concussion or blunt force trauma to the head.
Speaker 12: But especially in the community that.
Speaker 14: We service at the Marcus Institute for Brain Health, veterans, active duty service members, and first responders, we found that so many things like last exposure, exposure to big guns, cruiser weapons, things like that also cause those waves from those kind of weapons are are causing traumatic brain injuries as well. So are those basically so many of the symptoms.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, go ahead, sorry, No, are those percussive injuries? Like if you're standing next to a really big gun, even if you have ear protection, that boom, is that causing like the brain to bounce off the skull? What do we talk about here?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 12: Of course.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 14: So when you think about the best examples for like the military per se like artillery and mortarman, you know, when they spend so much time launching those rounds in that concussive wave that if you've ever felt an explosion, you know you can feel it going through your internal organs and the brain is no different.
Speaker 12: It's also you know, rattling it back and forth in the skull like that.
Speaker 2: What are some of the long term symptoms that you see people being challenged by.
Speaker 14: So, you know, sleeplessness, depression, there's a link to suicidal ideation. There's cognitive issues, there's speech issues, you know, where the brain is just not connecting like it used to and so you might have a thought on the tip of your tongue but you just can't find the the resources to get it out.
Speaker 12: So you know, it's obviously the brain controls everything.
Speaker 14: And when it starts to sustain these long term injuries, you know, it starts to slow kind of everything down to balance.
Speaker 2: These symptoms sound like classic symptoms of post traumatic stress. How are those things connected or are we looking at something as a psychological issue that could actually be a brain damage in a brain injury issue.
Speaker 14: Yeah, So the it's interesting you bring that up because the link between PTSD and TBIs is very close. And what we found out at the Marcus Institute is for a long time, TBIs in service members and first responders, we're actually misdiagnosed as PTSD because the symptoms.
Speaker 12: Are so so close.
Speaker 14: But when you're not treating the root cause of a brain injury and you're only treating you know, say the post traumatic stress through through medication or something like that, you're not actually getting to the to the root cause. So we try to look at it as like a Venn diagram of PTSD and TBI.
Speaker 2: So I've always heard that the brain, you know, once you kill a brain cell, you don't get a new one. And we're now learning a lot more about brain plasticity and the brain's ability to regenerate certain pathways. How do you work with someone who has a traumatic brain injury? How do you fix that?
Speaker 14: Well, yeah, and you're right, that whole that whole old idea of you know, once the brain cells are gone, they're gone.
Speaker 12: Thankfully, we've discovered that that's not true.
Speaker 14: What we do at the Marcus Institute is we take a holistic approach to treating the brain. So when patients come to see us, we use an interdisciplinary modality your team to address all the different aspects that can be affected.
Speaker 12: So patients will visit.
Speaker 14: With neurologists, neuropsychologist, cognitive therapists, speech language pathology, even like equine.
Speaker 12: Therapy and art therapy.
Speaker 14: So we try to look at every part of the brain, from your balance to your speech to your vision, everything that could be affected and try to figure out, you know, how we can individualize that treatment to that patient.
Speaker 12: Everybody's brain is going to be injured in you know, a different fashion.
Speaker 2: I was talking to a friend of mine who went through the evaluation with you guys, and he said it was some of the most intense three days of his life. That he was exhausted at the end of it. And it sounds like that process is the process I mean, meaning, do you put people through this kind of grueling And I don't use the word grueling to mean you're lifting heavy rocks, which is mentally grueling. Testing is that part of the test to see exactly where they are or how they're doing you know what I mean? Are you testing someone's limits by by putting them through a pretty rigorous intake process.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, so it's not it's not so much of testing the limits, as you know, we want to make sure that the person that we're treating is the right fit for our clinic, and so to make sure that, you know, it's actually more TBI than PTSD because we have some.
Speaker 12: Other resources for that.
Speaker 14: But but yeah, the you know, that's a common consensus of our patients when they go through the treatment, it is incredibly intensive. You know, for spending your day in a clinic, going from appointment to appointment, you'd be amazed with how exhausted you are. But the beauty of that is and I you know, we tell this to all of our patients. The more willing you are to come into the clinic and be honest with us and be willing to open up about, you know, all of the injuries that you've sustained, the traumas that you have sustained, The more willing you are to be open, the more that we can pull out of you and help you heal.
Speaker 12: So that's where that exhaustion comes from.
Speaker 14: You know, you're you will be spending some time, you know, reopening some wounds and rediscovering some things, but with the idea of moving past all of that.
Speaker 2: We have a question from the text line, and I think I know that gist of what this person is asking. It says, can you and your brain be okay for a long time after some exposure then get symptoms years later?
Speaker 12: One hundred percent?
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, So you know, the when your brain is injured, it's a lot like injuring any other part of your body, like an ankle, for example, and if you don't get that treated right away, you will you know, not only will the injury get worse, but you're going to start to develop natural coping mechanisms that might not be the most beneficial towards me.
Speaker 12: So, yeah, we have we have patients that come to our clinic that.
Speaker 14: Have been out of the military, out of service for you know, twenty thirty years, and they've gotten to that point where you know, there's just they recognize that something is wrong and they need that help. So we encourage if you do think you have a brain injury, to please reach out us sooner rather than later.
Speaker 2: What are some of the common reasons that people give for coming in, What are the what are the catalysts that spur them into the Markets Institute for Brain Health.
Speaker 14: Well, you know, with us treating exclusively veterans and first responders, we get we get people that have been treated usually the VA or some kind of similar entity that they've gone to for help with PTSD, help with sleeplessness, help with cognitive issues, and you know, through the process of you know, bureaucracies like the VA, they have just kind of felt untreated unseen unheard, and it's those Usually it's a combination of those PTSD like symptoms that have gone on for so long untreated or unresolved.
Speaker 12: Rather that that's what brings people to our door.
Speaker 2: Do people have to go through the VA if they are a veteran who has triycare or some other form of insurance? How can they get to you if they're listening right now and maybe they're not really in any treatment at all. Do they start somewhere else before they come to you, guys, or can you help them first?
Speaker 12: No, So that's the beauty of it. We're not connected with the VA.
Speaker 14: We do have a liaison to help out people in that respect, but we are we're entirely philanthropic everything we do. There is no out of pocket cut for veterans, first responders or active duty. Okay, we cover travel, lodging, the whole nine yards. The website that you have linked for people to look up. It's as simple as going on there and beginning your intake form and then one of our wonderful intake team members will spend some time on the phone and get to know you, get to know a little bit of the issues that you're dealing with and get you out for an evaluation.
Speaker 2: Somebody just asks, can you confirm a TBI while someone is alive?
Speaker 9: I think that they are.
Speaker 2: Putting CTE and traumatic brain injury in the same bucket, but that's not necessarily true. How do you know the TBI?
Speaker 12: Well, the TBI. Yeah, So to answer their question, yes, one hundred percent.
Speaker 7: We can.
Speaker 12: We can see these when when you are alive, and the way.
Speaker 14: To diagnose it without you know, like an MRI scan can but also sometimes you can't see those injuries. So that's why for us, it's more of a symptomatic thing. Okay if you can, like and it doesn't have to be documented either. If you come and say, like, hey, you know X number of years ago, I was in the military, I hit my head and nothing's been the same since. That's where our team of clinicians and physicians are going to look and see like, Okay, are these symptoms that you're having, are they directly correlated to this head injury? And is this something that we can help you work past.
Speaker 2: Javon Bear is my guest, and the organization that we're talking to or talking about is the Marcus Institute for Brain Health. Jevon, this is a fascinating conversation. I would love to come and see what you guys do there, if that would be possible, I would love it because.
Speaker 12: I think anytime then in our community, we have so.
Speaker 2: Many veterans, so many first responders, and I think a lot of them have the tendency to downplay the symptoms that they're dealing with. Perhaps they don't want to think about whether or not they have PTS, or maybe they haven't considered the fact that this might be a brain injury instead of just you know, a psychological issue that they don't want to deal with. I guess that's the best way to put it. Javon Beer, thank you so much for your time today.
Speaker 6: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 12: It's been a been a pleasure to be able to talk about this.
Speaker 2: Last question from the text line, do you have to be a veteran or first responder to get an evaluation and treatment?
Speaker 14: Yes, we do treat exclusively veterans, first responders, and as of last year, active duty service members as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you got to be in that category to make that happen. Javon, great information. Thank you so much.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 2: You know we forgot Joon hang on. You got to hang on through a break because we've got to talk about the Gaylen. I have a couple more questions. We'll be right back with Javon Beher from the Marcus Institute for Brain Health. After this, we are going to ask I want to ask before I let you go. We were talking about diagnosing traumatic brain injury the similar symptoms to PTS and aging. I mean really, but I want to ask about some of the therapies that you guys use because I've always thought once you have a brain injury, there's very little chance you're going to be able to fix it. But what do you guys do that that is, you know you've figured out over time helps.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So we use several different therapies.
Speaker 14: You know, throughout the evaluation period we kind of figure out which therapy each patient is going to need. But we do neuropsychology, you know obviously to try and you know, kind of retrain the brain to to get back to what it was pre injury, you know, with with a little bit of cognitive help also cognitive therapy just to help us you know, connect those thoughts again, get those get those thoughts out also through speech language pathology. You know, when you have thoughts stuck on the tip of your tongue, trying to get that out. Behavioral health is a big one, you know, trying to get to some of the the root causes of some the pts like symptoms. We do physical therapy, which most of our patients have pretty pretty good time with, you know, where we really that's one of the things where we do test limits, a little bit of your balance and to see how you really are coping with this brain injury on a physical level. This one is a little little viewed with some skepticism from our military members, but we do art therapy, but by the end of the treatment, everybody's fully involved in that.
Speaker 12: It's one of our more popular things we do, equine therapy.
Speaker 14: We really just try to treat this holistically, you know, from the top down and see what what are your root causes, Where did this brain injury affect you the most, and how can we.
Speaker 12: Help you move on?
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 2: You guys have a gala coming up in February. Tell me about that and how people can get involved there.
Speaker 14: Yes, so this is our inaugural Hope for Heroes gala. It's February eighth, at six thirty pm. We're gonna do this at the Wings over the Rockies Air and Space Museum over there in the Lowry area.
Speaker 12: We I sorry.
Speaker 14: Through our website, there is a link to the to the gala and tickets for attendance are one hundred dollars. Beyond that, if you are wanting to sponsor the event, help out in any kind of way, we have a sponsorship deck that runs all the way from one thousand to twenty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 12: And this type of event is just really important for us. Marcus Institute is completely philanthropic.
Speaker 14: That's how we have maintained to keep this as an out of pocket or no out of pocket costs for our veterans.
Speaker 12: So if anyone listening wants to come.
Speaker 14: And you know, dress up, have a couple of drinks with some other veterans, and do a silent live boxtion all the fun gala events, then please feel free.
Speaker 2: I do not see that on the Marcus Institute for Brain Health website right now. I don't know if I'm on the right site. Which which website are you talking about?
Speaker 7: It?
Speaker 12: Should it should be on our main website. There should be and sing your producer some material for that.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll make sure I get that on the blog today and make sure if people want to buy tickets. You got a little bit of time, but February. We'll be here before you know it. And what a great thing to support. Javon Bear with the Marcus Institute for Brainhell. Thank you so much for your time today, man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 12: Hey, I appreciate you having me on here. Thanks for let me talk about this.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks Jevon. We'll see you again soon. I'm sure.
Speaker 12: Yes, please come my clinic sometime.
Speaker 2: I will for sure, I'm gonna come by and see what's going on. Thanks a lot, man, Bye bye. All right, we're gonna take a quick time out back after this. Keep it on, Koa. I have bad news for home owners, and I am one of these. I have enjoyed the explosive growth of home prices over the last few years. Sometimes prices went up as much as twenty percent in some areas in the Denver metro. That appears to be over now we're seeing about three percent growth inequity and the median home prices are coming down. Why interest rates? Interest rates are persistently sticky between six and seven percent. The treasury yield went up today, which means that mortgage rates will be affected. And if you don't understand why the treasury yield affects mortgage rates, it's because mortgages are not held by the people who write them. They are then sold as commodities, as an investment vehicle for other people. This is part of why the crisis of two thousand and eight was so devastating, because when people stop paying their mortgages, that has such a cascading effect throughout other investments. So treasury yields just went up. Until we really significantly do something about government spending, we're going to see mortgage rates I think between six and seven percent, and I would be shocked if mortgage rates got down to four percent in the next ten years. I don't think they're going back down, and are going to have to recognize that this has the new normal. And I hate the phrase the new normal because it's usually talking about something that kind of sucks. But traditionally, in the last fifty years, mortgage rates have been about seven percent. The issue that we're having now is that super low mortgage rates drove up home prices, so now you have people that are like, well, my home is worth eight hundred thousand dollars. Well it was when mortgage rates were two percent, but it might be worth seven to fifty now. So people are sitting on their homes. People are not willing to negotiate aggressively yet. I mean some people are. Of course, buyers are being super picky because they're being faced with much higher home payments because of mortgage rates. So it's just kind of a that part of the economy is stuck, and that part of the economy drives a whole bunch of other parts of the economy. Meaning you know, when you have furniture, when you have home improvement, when you have all of these things that people traditionally replace when they buy a new home, those things are not moving like they used to. So it has a very negative effect. And I don't see, Like I said, I would be shocked if mortgage rates dropped down to the force, something pretty amazing would have to happen, and that would mean that the economy would have to boom without inflation skyrocketing, and as we've learned, that's a very difficult thing to make happen. So that is on the blog today as well, TikTok may or may not be a thing. In the Supreme Court today, arguments were made in the case over the fate of TikTok. Congress has said that TikTok will have to divest itself from Chinese overlords, and that means sharing algorithms and everything else with someone else. And TikTok said today or yesterday that absent the Supreme Court ruling in their favor, this act will take effect on January nineteenth, twenty twenty five. That would shut down TikTok, one of the nation's most popular speech platforms for it's more than one hundred and seventy million domestic monthly users. On the eve of a presidential inauguration. Now, there's a lot in this threat, and that's what this is. This is clearly a threat designed to have people put pressure on the Supreme Court justices to rule in TikTok's favor. That's what TikTok's trying to do here. The reference to the presidential inauguration probably is also referencing Donald Trump coming into office, where Donald Trump has said he would protect TikTok, which is funny because Donald Trump said last time he would get rid of TikTok. So here we are, Here we are, you know. I One of the things that bothers me about Donald Trump is his apparent lack of principle. Like, you know, a lot of people are given Thomas Massey crap right now, but Thomas Massey is at least consistent in his value system. And you may disagree with it, but he is consistent in his value system. I'm not sure that politically, Donald Trump has a value system. He's a guy that's like, that's a good idea. That's a good idea, let's do that. And you know what, some of those ideas are really good ideas, but some of them are not. I still have security concerns about TikTok, and the fact that TikTok is basically like we're shutting it down rather than letting you have a look see into what's really in here to me indicates that those fears are well placed. I also think TikTok is making us way stupider, way stupider. So you know, for me, I guess it's like the crotchety old version of me going, I don't care if I get rid of these kids. But a lot of people make a lot of money on TikTok. So we'll see what happens. But how long have we been saying for the last year and a half that if you are a creator on TikTok, you better start building on other platforms. You have been warned. If you have not, that is your fault.
Speaker 3: At this time, it's not going anywhere for us. For like six months. We have multiple avenues rate to and roll. Number one, the app is probably gonna be on the phone for quite a while afterwards.
Speaker 2: Number two we'll be taken out of app stores. Oh no, wait a minute, Um, let's see that would shut down TikTok is what it says.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll shut down. And then number two we're just gonna change our location paraphones to Canada. No, seriously, we've thought about this the dumbest thing, and we're going to buy a new polls dumbest thing, and we're going to find loopholes to keep using it.
Speaker 2: Uh huh uh huh.
Speaker 6: It's not going anywhere. They're gonna they're gonna last second, Well.
Speaker 2: It's the Supreme Court is gonna have to rule on whether or not it's constitutional to tell this company they have to sell or get out. I'm not sure. Honestly, I'm not sure the constitutionality of any of that. So I haven't given an opinion because I really don't know. I do not know the legality of what they've done. I have no clue. TikTok gave his campaign a buttload of money. Of course, for Trump, it's only a good idea politically if it benefits him personally. He says this Texter, I don't necessarily believe that. I really don't because I've talked to and interviewed a lot of people who've been in the room when policy discussions with President Trump were made during his first administration, and to a person, they said, on various issues unconnected to one another, that Donald Trump always asked how is this good for the American people? And that question alone is significant, I think, and demonstrates that though he may enjoy things that work to his best interests, I don't think he is completely self serving. I really do think that the man cares about this country and he is also self serving. Yes, some things can be true.
Speaker 3: At the same time, clarify, I did not mean leave the country. I literally mean change the phone's location. Oh, I know to Canada.
Speaker 6: I know, so we can keep using I know what you mean.
Speaker 3: Kevin O'Leary, mister wonderful will save the day they are forced to sell.
Speaker 6: Kevin O'Leary will buy it.
Speaker 2: Be fine, yeah, but then when I pull up Costco, it's going to try and have me go to a Costco in Canada. I'm not doing that.
Speaker 6: Kevin O'Leary, you've got this. The ball is in your court.
Speaker 2: We know he's trying to buy it. He wanted to buy it.
Speaker 6: No, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So when they are going to sell, if they are forced to sell too much money on the line, they won't just give up the US brand or so.
Speaker 2: Much well, that's what they're threatening the Supreme Court.
Speaker 6: There's so much money.
Speaker 2: If this is one of those things where I don't want the Supreme Court to make a political decision. And we didn't talk about the fact that Donald Trumps he was sentenced today for his absolutely ridiculous money whatever in New York. So he was sentenced today, and that sentencing was purely political. The entire trial was purely political. But the only reason they made sure they sentenced him today is because you're not truly a quote, convicted felon until you've been sentenced, right, and now they can appeal in all this stuff. But they did it for political reasons, and people were mad because the Supreme Court didn't shoot it down because it was political. But I don't want them to shoot it down because it's political unless they can say, we're shooting it down on the rule of law, and it was political. I want the Supreme Court to adhere to their version of the law. And I know a lot of people are angry at Amy Coney Barrett, but that was her version of the law. I want Supreme Court justices to rule using only the law, not taking into consideration the political nature of some of these things. So I was actually fine with that. A couple stories I want to get in here. Biden's trans heavy Title nine rules are deadded dead. A judge in Kentucky ruled the Federal Education Department's interpretation of what constitutes sex based misconduct was too broad and the rules violated the First Amendment. And so there's a zero percent chance that the Trump administration will defend these changes that did things that allowed men into women's spaces like locker rooms and onto women's teams. And if you complained about it, you were in trouble, which is where I think the First Amendment issues popped up. So that's good news for female athletes and women overall. Delta Airlines is getting a lot of kudos because there was a woman whose mother had been in the hospital with pneumonia and she was doing okay, and then she went into she got sepsis, and doctors called this woman and said, you need to come see your mom. We're not sure how much time she has left. She was leaving her hometown, had to fly through Minnesota. They were late because of a mechanical leaving her hometown to fly to Minnesota, so she was going to miss her connection, and she was told by the flight attendant that they would rebook her for the next day. Well, she was afraid she wasn't going to be able to see her mom before she died. She built the flight attendant this and said, I'm gonna I might miss my last chance to see my mom. Well, the flight attention, she said the flight attendant. They cried together. Flight attendant goes up, talks to the pilot. The pilot calls, you know, traffic control and says, we got this situation, and Delta held her connecting flight for her for thirty minutes so she could make the flight. Now, you have to understand, when an airline shows up late, it dings them with the FAA and it goes against their on time rating. So it's not a no big deal thing to say, we're going to make this plane late. But because they did that, she made her connection, got to see her mom before she died. And everybody's singing Delta's praise. But guys, this is not the first time I am aware of something like this. Happened when I was a flight attendant back in the nineteen nineties. We had a very similar situation. We got stuck in a weather hold above an airport and ended up circling for about an hour. And this guy was going to miss his flight, and he was flying home because his wife had gone into very premature labor and they were going to be delivering that baby and they wanted him to be there. So Delta same thing, called ahead and held the guy's connecting flight for him so he could be there for the birth of his child. I don't know if he made it, you know, I never knew the follow up story on that one. Maybe if there'd been social media, we would have been able to find out. But back then, I mean, you know, you just you don't know what happened. You didn't get to know the end of the story. So good on Delta Airlines for having a heart on that one interesting story. Arod, did you see this that the Broncos are considering a Lone Tree stadium site.
Speaker 6: Yes, I would love it.
Speaker 9: I know you would.
Speaker 2: You know I would because it was right there.
Speaker 6: The Broncos would love it because it's close to everything.
Speaker 2: They've got the facility and there's a crap ton of empty land down there. Crap ton.
Speaker 3: I think it's just another little check mark exploring options. I don't think it's I think it's based on absolutely nothing. I think it's airport area or current site. Airport area sucks, No, airport area is perfect. No, but air World two point zero for everything else. But Jerry will money, money, money, so.
Speaker 2: Much exponential growth. This way, that way you make it easier for people who are in the Springs Monument, Pueblo, the games.
Speaker 6: North towards me.
Speaker 9: What what is east of of you?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 2: See what I'm saying, Like the the two metro areas Colorado Springs and Denver are growing together. That is as happening. We're growing up down there. Okay, no, nope, nope, Ay, Rod, How do we change phone location? Like iPhone to listen to Broncos games in Hawaii?
Speaker 9: How do they do that?
Speaker 6: I can't tell you that.
Speaker 2: Why not? All they have to do is change the location? How do you change your phone's location?
Speaker 6: Talking about what? I don't know if it's gonna be possible. We'll see. We're gonna try. Yeah, we're gonna try.
Speaker 3: We're still gonna have a long time for it's off the app store because deleted Beloney VPN will do feet of ban Oh yeah, absolutely, that's what we're likely have to do, is the way to change location.
Speaker 6: But the problem is that would probably deactively a lot of our other apps.
Speaker 3: So problems are going to arise. But it's okay because Kevin o'larry's gonna solve the day.
Speaker 2: You know what, I love Kevin O'Leary, but I think you're giving him a wee bit too much credit for saving the day when it comes.
Speaker 3: Oh no, him and him and the crew are like got the change right, They just need TikTok to give the okay, to.
Speaker 6: Sell one more last thing.
Speaker 2: I got a bunch of really good stuff from the blog today that we didn't get to, including the mayor of Los Angeles. When being pressed on her role and how bad she's doing, she literally was like, you know what, we're not going to point fingers. There's plenty of time to really look at all that later. Let's not point fingers Grant Smith, who just walked in there in the studio.
Speaker 6: I guess all the fingers would be pointed at her.
Speaker 11: Correct.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 6: It is a sad situation out there, though.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just devastating. I can't even imagine. And now, okay, hey, this trend of young people no offense, Grant and a rod of putting themselves on the internet crying. I hate it. But the people putting their self on the internet crying about losing everything is heartbreaking. I mean heartbreaking. And everybody's focusing on the celebrities, but a vast majority look at that on TV right now, an entire neighborhood just gone. The vast majority of these people are not celebrities. They're just normal people who have nothing, absolutely nothing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that is I saw a post the other day about how it was kind of highlighting all the celebrities and how it was kind of making people not as sympathetic sympathetic because you're not showing the average, average, everyday person going through it.
Speaker 6: I think that would be much more compelling. Yeah, well, I've seen.
Speaker 3: In all the videos I've seen, people are also saying, I'm hello North Carolina.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, all these things happen.
Speaker 2: This is going to be really well, it's happening right now. I mean, that's it. But let me tell you something. In six months, when we see a series of big Hollywood fundraisers to help the people in Los Angeles, that's when you're gonna start here in a lot of the what about North Carolina? Because people are still living in freaking tents in North Carolina right now. So it's I mean, this has just been devastation. And I last night I left the grocery store. I was able to get eggs. I was able to get the things that I need, and I got in my car and I drove to my house, which was still standing, and I took a little moment and I said a little gratitude prayer just for that, Yeah, just because I could get what I needed. I drove home to my house. My family is safe, and there are people in California that cannot say that today. So if you are a grateful sort, or maybe you're not a grateful sort, that is something to be grateful for right there. I'm grateful because it's Friday, and now it's time for the most exciting segment all the radio.
Speaker 9: Love.
Speaker 2: It's Kinde and the world love that day. Very good grants, thank you, very good.
Speaker 5: I was going to try and do a Rob Dawson impression, but I don't think anyone will.
Speaker 2: It's like somebody batteries are running out exactly. Thank goodness for that.
Speaker 6: I mean we could use a couple.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I actually that would be kind of fun. What is our dad joke of the day.
Speaker 6: What do you call a cougar that gets so old that they need a hearing aid?
Speaker 2: Cougar that gets so old?
Speaker 6: I love this one.
Speaker 2: It needs a hearyaid?
Speaker 9: What death?
Speaker 2: I think we just had that fairly recently. I've heard that Joe fairly. I couldn't remember the name.
Speaker 6: Of mine, don't care.
Speaker 2: What is our word of the day, please?
Speaker 13: A noun novation not innovation, novation n O V A t I O n something novation.
Speaker 2: A novation is just an invention. It's it's a it's something that's been invented.
Speaker 6: Grant. I'm gonna stick with Mandy on that one good call. The introduction of something new.
Speaker 2: Just pulled that out of my kazoo, if you.
Speaker 9: Know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Which US state's official state flag features a golden ship anchor surrounded by thirteen gold stars. I think I know it, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 5: It's got to be one of the original ones, right if there yeah, thirteen stars Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: See, it's either that or a Rhode Island. So I don't. I think it's Rhode Island because I think and it is Rhode Island. The stars represents the first thirteen states in eighteen ninety seven. Rhode Island became the last of the first thirteen states to adopt a flag.
Speaker 6: So they're love Rhode Island.
Speaker 2: I do too, very very pretty except in the winter it's cold and miserable anyway, and if you're inside, it's fantastic.
Speaker 6: And you can get anywhere in the state in like half exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like driving a Bucke's anyway. What is our jeopardy category?
Speaker 6: Please er all are invited.
Speaker 3: All are invited, All ages are allowed at movies rated G.
Speaker 2: The G is short for this Mandy, what is general audience?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Pretty much general? Correct?
Speaker 10: Correct?
Speaker 6: Any citizen can sit in this part of the Senate and watch the action.
Speaker 2: Andy, what is a gallery?
Speaker 6: That is correct?
Speaker 3: Wait, so do that, I'll start with G. No, just like talking about invited. Okay, yeah, got ten thousand dollars. You can compete in the main events of this card competition in Vegas.
Speaker 6: Grant, grant? What is a world series of pokers? That is correct? There we got grand You are too popular.
Speaker 3: You can only invite seven hundred and fifty people at a time for this web based RSVP service.
Speaker 2: That's correct.
Speaker 3: And finally, any member of the World Science Fiction Society can vote for this literary award, which has led to some drama.
Speaker 2: The oh is it the the Highland Nanny the Highland Award? Wrong?
Speaker 9: Tie?
Speaker 2: I have no idea any literary awards?
Speaker 6: What is the Hue Awards that I have been reading some science fiction?
Speaker 9: What reading?
Speaker 6: I'm reading this book called book Eaters right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's about this humanoid race that eats books and they get all the knowledge of humanity and I don't know what's going to happen next, but I'm super interested in it.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm thinking about going back and revisiting the Circle World Discworld series by Terry Frather.
Speaker 6: You know what I've read recently that was really good, Project Hail Mary.
Speaker 3: Have you heard of this?
Speaker 5: It's going to be a movie, and I think this year. It's about this guy that kind of has to go to space to save humanity and then he meets up with an alien. But I don't want to. I don't want to spoil too much. What's called Project Hail Mary. It is an amazing book.
Speaker 2: All right. This book review brought to you by Mandy and Grant.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: We will be back Monday. Everyone have a happy and safe weekend. If you're going skiing, especially back country skiing, please be careful for avalanche.
Speaker 5: By the way, we've got a former Broncos quarterback, Jake Plumber, coming on Bronco Aro on KOA Sports here in about an hour, so make sure you're tune in for that.
Speaker 2: I need his contact. I want to get him on to talk about mushrooms.
Speaker 6: Yes, and go listen to my podcast.
Speaker 2: I will this week on the Taking for Granted podcast.
Speaker 5: So we've been on hiatus, but we're celebrating the fifth year, going into the fifth year of the podcast on Monday with my brother who.
Speaker 6: Was the original guest.
Speaker 12: I'm going to be talking about.
Speaker 5: His new baby and the circle. Yeah, I'm pretty excited to get back into it.
Speaker 2: All right, that's all coming up this weekend. You'll be able to listen to that on Monday. Keep it right here for KA Sports coming up next