Speaker 1: Hey, everybody. Welcome to the strategy session.
Speaker 2: I won't say we were having technical difficulties, but the three old guys were trying to adjust their cameras.
Speaker 1: To make our giant heads look sort of the same size.
Speaker 3: It didn't work out too well.
Speaker 2: I'm actually sitting 12 feet back from the camera right now. But welcome to the strategy session, everybody. We have a lot of stuff to cover tonight because the world is, as you know, on fire, as always. We're going to start out tonight. with a clip for a little comic relief in the beginning here. I just want you guys to be aware, Stu and Joe, of the new threat to America that Mark Wayne Mullen identified today.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, so the Democrats want to, they throw out all these fear mongrels to try to make ICE and President Trump's administration.
Speaker 1: Look as worse as possible.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, we have the left media.
Speaker 2: Yes, that would be Mark Wayne Mullen prop sing. fear mongrels it is the it is the greatest maga portmanteau i've ever heard in my life but the fear mongrels are after all of us guys just i want you to be aware of that they're much like they're a division of antifa i believe you cannot make it up although he you cannot you cannot as i joked somebody right after i saw that the you know trump the trump administration is not sending their best when it comes to running dhs in this era God.
Speaker 1: Crazy.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 1: Let's see. What do we got next? Sam, pop up that next bit for us. Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, the children today cannot, they feel like they can't go into the election without a short-term funding bill, which that's probably a good idea.
Speaker 1: But, I mean, guys, this is sort of like, it feels like a band-aid to me, right?
Speaker 2: This doesn't seem like it's going to make America go, well, everything's under control with the economy now that we've passed another CR.
Speaker 7: No, and the other thing is, again, kicking the can down the road, but you kick it to after the election.
Speaker 3: And, you know, it's going to be interesting to, I mean.
Speaker 7: What they try to do, what's possible after the election, depending on, you know, particularly when they lose the House. So it does, it's, you know, it's the, the easy way out, but it could cause a bigger problem later on. Because I think, by the way, the economy is just going to be even worse and nothing that they do budget-wise.
Speaker 3: I mean, by then, what do you think?
Speaker 7: $ 50 trillion debt by the time they think?
Speaker 2: We're going to hit $ 50 trillion by the end of the year, according to most estimates right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's crazy. Crazy. They're not doing a damn thing.
Speaker 5: No. No. Yeah, yeah. You know, I mean, at a certain point, you know, Haley Barber used to say at a certain point, it's good to be for something people like. And I don't see what they're doing that people like. Somebody's going to make an ad. We passed the CR. Right. Like, you know, what the fuck?
Speaker 3: Pat yourself on the back, boys. It's all good now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, and I think one of the things I saw today was a clip of Mike Johnson saying, we're going to defy the odds. And we're going to actually win back more seats in the House. We're going to expand our majority. And I'm sorry, you know, I get having a game face on, right? I get having a, you know, doing some motivation for the troops. But right now, they're depending on one big thing in Texas and now in Maine. And I'm also told that now in Michigan, they're all depending on Elon Musk coming in and giving them $ 100 million apiece.
Speaker 1: Guys, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean.
Speaker 2: do you guys, I mean, Elon's presence in Wisconsin backfired during the special during the, uh, or the, the Supreme court races. Talk to me about where you see Elon coming in. I'll start with Texas Stewart because you know, our old buddy John Cornyn is out there sort of sniping from the weeds now on, uh, on that race. I'm curious what you, what you think about Willie, Willie lawn, do it.
Speaker 1: And will it blow back?
Speaker 5: Yeah, look, um, I think at a certain point in a race that much money is being spent, and we've talked about it as far as the Lincoln Project getting involved. More money doesn't matter. You know, if you have, like, static and you turn it up louder, it's just more annoying. It doesn't deliver any kind of message. You know, there's a behind-the-scenes war in Texas that really is a lot more than between you know, Tallarico and Paxton, within the Republican Party, there still is a Bush faction.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes.
Speaker 5: And, you know, this goes back to the 90s when there was a conservative faction and they opposed Bush. They opposed Karl Rove. Don't know how to tell them this, but Bush won.
Speaker 1: Several times.
Speaker 5: And that still is being played out. And, you know, Bush hates Paxton. Cornyn is a Bush guy. I think nothing would make Cornyn and Bush happier at this point than for Paxton to lose. So it has a lot to do, I think, sort of with the future of the party. And, you know, these suburban voters, the role for Kim Paxton, I don't know, man. Well, I don't see it. I don't see where Paxton is getting more votes than he has today.
Speaker 1: No, no.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here's the thing that I don't understand. Maybe whether you could explain it to me, right?
Speaker 7: So there's two people on the planet, two things that are pretty low in the popularity scales these days.
Speaker 3: One would be Donald Trump on his approval rating. The other would be data centers.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: So- Trump is going to spend a half.
Speaker 7: A billion dollars evidently touting his own accomplishments and the great job he's done in all these places, Texas, Michigan.
Speaker 3: Et cetera.
Speaker 8: And then these guys are hoping for $ 100 million each from the king of data centers and tech crap, Grok, Elon Musk.
Speaker 3: And I think.
Speaker 7: I think that's all going to like hurt them more than help them. And because if you're, I don't care if you're El Sayed or, or Tallarico, it's like, here comes the data center guys to the rescue for Rogers or for, for Paxson. And Oh, it wasn't just the data center guys. Here comes Donald Trump. I mean, I don't see how any of that, I mean, I look in, in 1998, if, Bill Clinton, we lost 54 House seats and a bunch of Senate seats, and if Bill Clinton had told the party, hey, I'm going to go spend, I don't know, back then in those dollars, $ 200 million, saying what a great job I've done.
Speaker 3: I mean, fair enough.
Speaker 1: They would have run him out of town on a rail.
Speaker 3: We were running away from it. Everybody was just trying to keep the race as local as.
Speaker 7: Possible, you know, and push it, get into a fight with the candidate they were against, not... stay away from Washington, stay away from Clinton. That's where these guys have to be. But of course that's not what we're, we're Trump and, and they need the money. So they'll take it from Elon Musk or any of the other, uh, hyperscale folks.
Speaker 3: And that's not going to help them. There'll be on the 25 side of a 75, 25. And that doesn't usually turn out too well.
Speaker 2: You know, there are only a couple of candidates in the country right now or, or, or political figures in the country now embracing data centers. And, uh, Now that Trump has insisted that they do it, you're going to see more of them doing that. I mean, in Florida, Byron Donalds is now the data center champion in a state where 72% of voters in the state of Florida are strongly opposed to data centers, where red counties are closing down data center planning operations and moratoriums are popping up in the most conservative parts of the state and the most liberal parts of the state. And Donalds not only is running on data centers, he's selected as a running mate The guy who did the bill in the Florida Senate that let data centers do all their planning in secret and take over eminent domain without the normal process and all this other crap. I'm like, this is an all in bet on a dumb, dumb idea.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean, even Greg Abbott, who can feel Gina Hinojosa sort of catching up with him all of a sudden is like, oh, data centers are bad.
Speaker 1: Greg Abbott, y'all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, and Tuberville's doing the same thing as Donald's in Alabama. I mean, doubling down, you know, they're signing NDAs, the same stuff, you know, keep it secret what they've approved. So, look, and I keep saying this. I know we've talked about it. People should, you know, should not go to sleep on the South, from David Jolly all the way over to Ossoff in Georgia.
Speaker 3: Stuff is happening there, Mississippi even.
Speaker 7: I mean, you just cannot– I mean– I'm not saying all of them are going to win, but there is a real energy down there. And so many of these candidates they put forward are flawed or on the wrong side of data centers or whatever.
Speaker 3: Don't go to sleep on the South. I think we're going to be surprised.
Speaker 7: I think some of them are going to break through and win anyway.
Speaker 3: We need a foothold in the South.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think that's, I mean, for my speaking as a Democrat, the party turned its back on the South a long time ago and it's cost us.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I could see Jolly winning.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Easily. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, right now, 18% of Republicans are saying in the last survey, in the DGA survey, that they're going to vote for, for David Jolly, 18% of Republicans.
Speaker 1: That is a earthquake.
Speaker 5: You know, you go back to that spread between Trump's very favorable and very unfavorable. And, you know, it is so huge now. And I think a lot of these people who just kind of have a favorable view of Trump, why are they going to vote?
Speaker 2: I don't, 13% have a very favorable view of Trump and 52% have a very unfavorable view of Trump.
Speaker 7: Iowa, Texas, Florida, again, going across a lot of these places. The Cattlemen's Associations are all going crazy because he dumped 300,000 metric tons of cheap Argentine or wherever it's coming from, bad stuff that even China said no to.
Speaker 3: Um, so that doesn't help them. And then on top of it, okay.
Speaker 7: Well, there's no beef in Michigan, Wisconsin, Alabama, I mean, Alaska or Maine. So what could I do to help my, my Republican or help Rogers and Collins.
Speaker 3: And those folks? Oh, I know I'll get into it.
Speaker 1: I'm going to attack Canada. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Get into a trade war with Canada. And I think we've got it.
Speaker 7: Call Apple, um, to, to tell them to, to make the map say, uh, Lake America or whatever.
Speaker 1: Let's play that clip of, uh, Oh, yeah. Well, first off, let's actually go bring that back up.
Speaker 2: People hate the Canada tariff war and they hate renaming the lake. People are absolutely not playing.
Speaker 1: Trump's game anymore.
Speaker 2: 63% oppose renaming Lake Ontario. 57% oppose the new Canada trade war. You know, guys, I think five years ago, well, let's say in Trump's first terms, more generically, This would have been a 50-50 issue because MAGA and conservative-leaning independents would.
Speaker 1: Have all been like, yeah, it's just Trump, man. He's– that was fun.
Speaker 2: Now, with the economy burning down around them, people are pissed. And I think, Joe, I mean I think that taxes on Canadian imports number in all those northeast or northern tier states we've been talking about in New York and in Vermont and in Maine and in Michigan and in Wisconsin– those folks who have an actual economic relationship with Canada, I'm going to guess that number on approve is somewhere in these single digits.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's way. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It, that's, what's crazy.
Speaker 7: So you like got him messing with, uh, you know, beef producers in some of the key States like Iowa and Texas. And then at the same time, uh, messing with, well, you know, whether it's, uh, uh, Michigan with all the trade that goes back and forth with automobile manufacturing and all that stuff. It's just, uh, It's really thrown a rant. And by the way, both of these happened this week. And so a lot of these polls that show like Turek up by two or Tallarico up by one or, you know, I just think it's going to get worse.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just doesn't make any sense. Although, you know, there's not a lot of Trump does that does anymore.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about something that is very popular with Donald Trump in his own head. And that is his forever war with Iran, which is definitely, definitely going well. And we totally want it. And it's been completely obliterated. Let's bring up that Trump tweet guys.
Speaker 1: Then we'll talk about that for the flip side.
Speaker 2: Iran is a failed nation. It is dead and on and on and on and on and on guys. I've never seen anything like this. And I've been through a couple of these middle Eastern excursions before. I mean, Stuart, you and I saw the impact in 2006 of a very unpopular war with some mild inflation and some slightly bumped up gas prices, how badly it turned out for both for president Bush and for the Republicans in the 2006 election cycle. I mean, does Trump's hallucination in this whole thing. I mean, I don't think it helps anybody in terms of the Republican party get out from under this war.
Speaker 1: It is so unpopular.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I mean, If you go back to Afghanistan and Iraq, like you're talking about, the impact on individual Americans was pretty small, which is sort of one of the tragedies of it, because you had this small percentage of the population in the military that was making these tremendous sacrifices. And no one seemed to know it. But now, every time you fill up your car, you're aware of the fact that, you know, we lost a war to Iran. And it affects everybody. It affects the total economy. And, you know, I just got to say, one of the things that really this is exposed is just how unprepared the American military is for modern war. It's tragic the way they had no drone defense in these mini spaces. They've now had to move people out. And You know, let me tell you, you know, having just been in Ukraine, this whole idea, like, how unprepared we are. And HEGSET is canceling these drone units. And just take one thing. And, you know, Rick, you work for the idea. The sort of basic principle of American casualty survival is being able to use helicopters.
Speaker 1: 100%.
Speaker 5: To go in and get them in the golden hour.
Speaker 1: Golden hour.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So you try that today in a war with drones. You send a helicopter into a drone zone? I mean, they're literally going to have 400 drones.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And it's going to have a survival time of seconds. Seconds.
Speaker 5: And, you know, you don't do it. So the Ukrainians are coming up with these new land-based drones that are armored, that they can get people out of. That stuff's just being invented in Ukraine. The Russians just don't give a fuck. You know, the average life expectancy of a Russian now is under 30 minutes on the front line. And so, I mean, what are we going to do? It just seems to be so in that report that you really have a good feel for this, Rick, of these commanders giving their... Saying, I'm familiar with this document.
Speaker 2: I have dealt with this exact stuff. Way back in the day, but I know what this thing is. And when all the combatant commanders, South Com, Cent Com, Special Operations Command, North Com, Indo-PAC Com, when they're asked by the secretary, are you prepared to carry out X or Y set of missions?
Speaker 1: And they say, concur or non-concur? And they're all saying non-concur.
Speaker 2: We have burned through our people, our stockpiles of missiles, both offensive and defensive. We have lost most all of our bases in the Middle East now, in the Gulf, are inaccessible to us in some greater or lesser degree.
Speaker 3: But, you know, that's why I'm so glad to know that China's now on our side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was great news. Let's play that clip.
Speaker 6: After 47 years, it is over. And we are telling people either you are with us or against us. And everyone says to me, well, what about China? I said, we have more in common with the Chinese on Iran than we disagree with on the Chinese.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Man, I want to play cards with that guy.
Speaker 7: You know, the other thing, though, about the drone thing is, you know, assuming China has gotten the idea that, hey, cheap drones are a really good thing. I actually think China could make a quadrillion cheap drones. So while we're shutting down drone units, et cetera, et cetera, again, we don't have a naval presence anymore. We don't have the capacity with missiles, et cetera, that we had because we've drained everything down. And then on top of it, we're not pursuing what may be the future of modern warfare with something that China actually could probably do fairly well.
Speaker 1: They are.
Speaker 3: No, but that's my point. But they're on our side in Iran, I thought.
Speaker 5: They're helping the Russians.
Speaker 2: They're helping the Russians and the Iranians. I mean, they're our greatest ally these days.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, the Ukrainians last.
Speaker 2: Year, in 2025, the Ukrainians built about a million drones, about one million drones. They're going to scale that to two million this year. They don't have one one-hundredth of China's infrastructure technologically. And I'm sure if China wanted to put a hundred million drones into the air, they could probably do it.
Speaker 1: I would just like everybody to know that.
Speaker 5: These drones are really changing. Just in the last couple of weeks, the Russians have used predominantly these jet-powered drones. They're two times as fast as the other drones. And you know, Ukrainians will adapt, but they're a lot harder to shoot down. And your warning time is a lot shorter because it's three times as fast. And where are we now? I mean, with the United States?
Speaker 2: Oh, just so you guys feel good about this, Pete Hex has Pentagon we're going to build 60,000 drones this year, 60,000, which y'all, I mean that 60,000 drones get used in, in Ukraine probably in a couple of days. Yeah.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 3: And they're probably good friends with somebody. So I'm sure.
Speaker 5: Oh, of course.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they'll be really good.
Speaker 2: Like one of the Trump boys is a, as a board member or a shareholder or some, some BS, right?
Speaker 1: Crazy. Um, all right, let's, let's keep moving here, folks.
Speaker 2: Um, want to get down the list here speaking of the military uh the army secretary dan driscoll is leaving um i was told this afternoon by somebody in that process in the defense world the number one thing pete hegseth couldn't stand about dan driscoll was that dan driscoll was an army ranger and pete hegseth never made the selection cut.
Speaker 5: For rangers well funny that is the secret.
Speaker 1: Sauce underneath the whole goddamn fight.
Speaker 5: You know i was when i was in ukraine um I was with a guy, one of these extraordinary guys who went through ranger school and was talking about this, that no, you don't have to have a ranger tab to be an infantry officer. But the separation between those that do and the way they're viewed and those that don't.
Speaker 1: Is meaningful.
Speaker 5: And he said that. It's the first time I've ever heard anybody talk about this with a headset. It's kind of running on my radar screen that he never went through ranger school.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 5: And, you know, you can do all the bad pull-ups you.
Speaker 1: Want, but... He's not the guy.
Speaker 2: And, you know, all the PT in the world doesn't get you through ranger school. You have to have a mental discipline and you have to have physical and mental discipline, uh, combined to get through that, that process. And it is not, it is not, it is, it is never, it has never left Pete Hex's mind that, that, that those guys look down on him.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And so he hates the army.
Speaker 2: He went after all these guys who, who, uh, all these senior, uh, officials in the army, um, who were, were highly accomplished, highly educated, highly regarded, got rid.
Speaker 1: Of them because they're all Rangers.
Speaker 2: Um, and, and he's replaced them with a lot of these sycophantic, you know, younger, younger colonels who are playing the Trump game. And of course now he's got his own little troll army of, of special government employees, um, who go there specifically to tweet nice things about Pete Hexen.
Speaker 1: It's like, it's one of the, it's like, I was like, look, it's always one of those.
Speaker 2: He's like, if Barack Obama or Joe Biden had done this, what would Fox news say? Yeah.
Speaker 1: The world would be on fire if that had happened.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and, you know, what's Roger Wicker, chairman of the Armed Services Committee, doing? Absolutely nothing.
Speaker 1: Absolutely nothing.
Speaker 5: The worst chairman of the Armed Services Committee in modern history.
Speaker 1: He's not fit to, like, stand inside one of Sam Nunn's shoes.
Speaker 2: This guy is a nobody.
Speaker 1: I mean, just a chicken shit.
Speaker 5: It goes to, you know, Roger is somebody who used to be a staffer, and I think he really sees himself in a staff role. He has an opinion. He offers it to his boss. That's Trump. Boss doesn't agree. Okay, then it's your obligation to support the boss.
Speaker 1: I'm going to salute smartly and move out.
Speaker 5: As a United States senator, that's just a terrible role model.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's awful.
Speaker 5: I mean, I ask you this, Rick. Rick, let me just ask you. You know a lot about the military. How long is it going to take the military to recover from this?
Speaker 2: Oh, this is a generational problem now, Stuart, because all those young captains, majors, and lieutenant colonels who 10 years from now will be brigadier generals, they're growing up in a system right now that rewards political affinity to the Secretary of.
Speaker 1: Defense of the President of the United States.
Speaker 2: There's going to have to be a washout in professional military education for 10 years to say to all these up and comers and all these, and, and to all the young lieutenants that are, that are just entering their service arc. Now we serve the constitution, not the president.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: That, that is, it is.
Speaker 2: And I know there are military leaders who are still inside and we're thinking about this problem already. I know there are recently retired senior military officers thinking about this problem already. But the next president and the next secretary of defense, to reprofessionalize the military and to purge this political taint out of it, it's going to take a minute. It's going to take a minute. But luckily, speaking of allies, Russia's back in the G20. Who knew? I mean, it's not that they're genocidal maniacs waging war throughout Europe, but it's okay. Let's bring them to Asheville, North Carolina at the Grove Park Inn for a summit. Our European allies are pissed. I mean, Stuart, you always say this, and it's so right. At the end of the day, the thing that people underestimate is the Russian influence on the Republican Party is you cannot overscore that. You cannot underestimate how powerful that is in the GOP.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you know, it started at key places like, you know, the NRA, Heritage Foundation, and the Russians got a president.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 5: It's the most extraordinary thing. And the impact on America's... Think about it. You're growing up as a kid in America now. You're not going to see America as leader of the free world.
Speaker 1: Oh, hell no.
Speaker 5: I mean, how could you? And we've lost the war in Iran. It's probably not going to be the only war. I mean, Russia moves into... Estonia?
Speaker 2: Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia are one eye open these days.
Speaker 5: Are we going to activate Article 5? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Europe will ask, but if they go into Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia, Poland hits Russia on the flanks. Even the Germans came out today after over a week and said, yes, Russia is attacking our military facilities in germany and are attacking our aircraft with drones and sabotage and and having done some german politics i will tell you folks they love russia so fucking much they don't want to believe it the leadership class does they love them so much they want that gas back flowing cheap and plentiful again and they hate admitting it but if germany has to admit that russia's at war with them they're at war with them.
Speaker 5: They're sending drones to the leipzig airport.
Speaker 1: What the hell?
Speaker 5: It's like Mexico sending a drone to Atlanta airport.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's just a mistake.
Speaker 5: Maybe he just took a wrong turn.
Speaker 2: As I like to steal the William Gibson quote about the future and repurpose it, World War III is here, it's just not evenly distributed quite yet.
Speaker 5: That's a great quote.
Speaker 1: Well, at least we're going to have a ballroom, folks. At least Trump's going to get a ballroom.
Speaker 3: Incredible.
Speaker 1: My God.
Speaker 2: What other priorities should we have right now in a time of international peril and economic crisis at home, but a goddamn ballroom. Well, folks, we've got a tight schedule tonight. And I'm going to wrap it up here. You can catch us here on Tuesday nights. You can catch me on Thursday nights on the breakdown on Tuesdays, Lincoln project podcast on Thursdays, breakdown on friday's uh elephant in the room uh and our polling show andrew will be coming back from paternity leave very shoot very shortly now i got.
Speaker 1: To see the baby this weekend he's.
Speaker 3: Large red hair um cool.
Speaker 2: And uh and he's got the family ears um and you can also catch me on sundays with molly jung fast on fast politics and uh catch stewart joe and me all at lincoln project lincoln square and a whole bunch of other places All right, everybody.
Speaker 1: Have a great night. Stay safe. We'll see you all next week.