Speaker 1: With Ray. I'm wbs. He costs two hours down, two hours to go, and I'm still full of energy, rip roaring and ready to go. And I'm smiling. Why am I smiling because of my next guest. I'm trying to get this name to catch on with all the people who are fans of hers. I called her about a month ago or so, and her husband answered, and I asked to speak to the Empress, and he knew.
Speaker 2: You know, after forty six years, he knows, he.
Speaker 1: Knew you weren't available, you weren't home, but your husband knew you are the Empress of entertainment. You've you've been such going back to the eighties, when did you start at BC?
Speaker 2: I think it was eighteen eighty.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no, no, I.
Speaker 2: Think it was. Actually the truth is it was nineteen seventy eight, Okay, yeah, And it was a show called Evening Magazine, right so, and that was, you know, syndicated across the country and it was a terrific show. Was a brand new show when I first started, and that was my first gig on television. It was amazing. I used to demonstrate fads and gadgets. I used to tell people about how to have fun on an instant weekend. I used to tell people where they could go on a tank away. I did a lot of different pos.
Speaker 1: Oh that's an interesting concept.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it was great. One tank of gas, Yeah, one tank of gas. Where can you go? And I ended up doing stories actually abroad. I went to Liechtenstein and did something on the watch industry. I went to Switzerland, of course, do something on the watch industry. I did a lot of a lot of very interesting things.
Speaker 1: You could have gone to wall Sam saved some frequent flyer miles. They they were famous for watches as.
Speaker 2: Well, Yes they were, you know. I was just thinking about fads and gadgets. Some of the things I used to demonstrate. We used to look through all these strange catalogs like hammock Er, Schlemmer and see what was out there. And I remember once closer to home, you know, the snowboard. Yeah, for snowboarding was a thing. Well, there was a guy I forgot his first name, but Burton invented the snowboarder, created the snowboard, and we heard about it and he sent one over and I actually demonstrated that and snowboards when they first came out actually had a rope attached to them and you could hold onto this rope. Well, you had both feet on this snowboard going down, you know, a slope. And I always wondered, what the heck did I ever do with that snowboard? It was like the original snowboard.
Speaker 1: How was your balance?
Speaker 2: It would probably be in the Smithsonian or.
Speaker 3: Something, you know, how was your balance?
Speaker 2: Oh? It was marvelous, just marvelous. I was so incredibly athletic, nots but I still have a video of this, and it's just hysterical to me. Some of the things. I remember putting on a great, big rubber suit and jumping into the Charles River and floating down the river for some bizarre reason. I don't know. Just I did a lot of interesting things before I ended up on the news, reporting on all the arts and entertainment in Boston and beyond. And I mean from you know, red carpets at the Oscars, the Grammys, the Tony's covering, you know, things abroad, covering things in Los Angeles. Just what, and also all around our wonderful city of Boston.
Speaker 1: You've had a great career. It's not over me. Sad mill out there Joyce's Choices is still a website you can go to. Now. I've got a break in three minutes. Now, I know you and I are going to talk about cats, and I'll sell that when we come back. But you were here, and there were two dare I say it, big summer movies opening up within a week or so. We've got Superman and Jurassic whatever. They keep flirting with the names. But let's talk about those two films and then we'll take it up. All right, Well, what do you know about them?
Speaker 2: But I can tell you that I did see F one and we can talk about.
Speaker 1: That, okay, and we Our main subject is you and I wrapped around cats when we first decided what we're going to do.
Speaker 2: I love talking about kitty cats.
Speaker 1: How many do you have?
Speaker 2: I just have one at the moment. Virgil, who's just lovely. He had a brother, Jackson. But Jackson was born with a congenital heart defect and we only had him for two years. We didn't know if we were going to have him for two years or ten years. They said, there's no telling. And he lived a very full but short life. Jackson. He was adorable. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Our cat Gray just turned five and he owns me. He owns Nancy wherever he wants. I'm surprised he doesn't have a set of keys to come and go.
Speaker 2: Mine doesn't need a set of keys. My cat totally bosses me out. She has me completely training to do whatever he wants me to do. And wait till I tell you some of the routines were into. It's hysterical. It's really pretty funny.
Speaker 1: He likes There used to be temptation treats, but we get another brand now. He loves those, and you could give him. We try to only give him three at a time, but that rule has been long since thrown away, and you could give him literally twenty something thirty something, and he'll take his paw and either touch the back of your hand or touch the container therein to say, you know, like Oliver, please, I want some more.
Speaker 2: They do make themselves understood.
Speaker 1: They do so for anybody who owns a cat. Joyce and I are going to get into a cat conversation that will encourage you to call and participate.
Speaker 2: And I do have a couple of you know, movie suggestions about cats as well, So there you.
Speaker 1: Go, all right, Either we have one caller waiting he needs to open line six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty or eight eight, eight, nine to nine, ten thirty time now and temperature here on nightside ten point fifteen seventy one degrees.
Speaker 4: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: Den Ray's are for the next Dare I say it? Seven nightsides next week, but he'll be back the following Monday. I am here with the Empress of Entertainment, Joyce Kohewic Joyce. Before we take phone calls, tell people about F one.
Speaker 2: Oh f one, Okay, F one the movie F one being short for Formula one, as in the Formula one race car races. And these are the best racers in the world, and these races take place all around the world. And the movie just opened this past Friday, starring Brad Pitt and Javier Bardem and it's about well, it's a really exciting entertainment. It's not art, it's definitely entertainment. And it's actually brought to you by some of the same team that did the top cruise film Top Gun Maverick, which was so fabulous it was a huge global hit in twenty twenty two. So this is the same team that brought you that they know what they're doing. And Brad Pitt plays a race car driver who's passed his prime. He had a big accident early on when he was the most promising driver on the planet and turned out to be you know, ended up that ended up sort of derailing his career and he ended up being sort of an itinerant race car driver until one day, thirty years after this accident, a friend of his who owns a Formula One team but the team's in trouble, feels like he needs brad Pitt's character named Sonny Hayes to come back and get in the car and even out his team because he's got a hot shot rookie who needs some experience. So they they get together on the track and it's all about you know, what happens with them, and it's it's exciting. You feel like you're in the driver's seat. It's it's a pretty exciting film so far. It's in the lead for the most exciting film of the summer ever run.
Speaker 1: The movie trying to help the man with potential reach that potential.
Speaker 2: Exactly both of them essentially to become a team so that maybe they win the Grand Prix, which in the in the film takes place in Abu Dhabi, So there's a lot of stuff that goes on. I mean, it's really incredibly thrilling. Apparently they really trained for months. They actually are dry the cars at certain key points. They have special cameras rigged up that that show you all parts of the course and also inside the car. I mean, I was gripping the armress, holding my breath. It was. It was really exciting. I mean there's a lot of cliches too. It's old versus young, it's about competition, there's a little romance. It's it's about redemption, you know. I mean, it's about a lot of things. And and then there's Brad Pitt, who looks amazing.
Speaker 1: He really has maintained that look.
Speaker 2: Oh man, the guy is hot. He really is something else. But he plays it real cool, like in the you know, sort of the Steve McQueen kind of.
Speaker 1: Now, let's talk about cats, okay, a documentary that you saw, Oh yes, talk about.
Speaker 2: It all right. This documentary really kind of opened my eyes to something about cats that I really did not know. And I know cats so well. I've loved cats my entire life. I've had cats my entire life. I used to take in strays and find homes for them when I was a little girl, and I would interview people and make sure they were, you know, the right kind of folks who understood cats. And if they decided it didn't work out, there had to be a trial period, and if it didn't work out, they had to give the cat back to me. They couldn't just release the cat, you know. So I was always very committed to them and love everything about them, and I thought I knew everything about them, but I didn't know this. There is a film that was sent to me called American Cats, The Good, the Bad, and the Cuddy title. It's an award winning documentary. You see it on demand, and what it's about is like sort of sounds like a cute cat film, but it unveils the controversial world of cat declawing, which I thought was a harmless something you could do to a cat if you lived in the city and you didn't want to let your cat out and he was calling up your furniture or you know. I mean, that's one of the things about cats. You have to kind of figure out you can trim their claws, but if they never go out, lots of people choose to declaw their cats, and I thought, okay, well, I get that. You know, it's just the front paws usually because they need their back paws to scratch themselves, et cetera, and for some grooming. But it turns out that when you declaw a cat, you're not just removing the claw sort of in a surgical way and leaving the whole paw intact. Oh No, they go in and they chop off the first joint, which is an incredibly painful and mutilating thing to do to a cat. And some cats are so distressed by this that they end up sort of walking on their elbows. It's painful. When they put their paws down, they can't. It's it's just a it's a really difficult, risky thing you do to a cat. It's really inhuman. It's actually outlawed in many states. I think it's it's outlawed in the California or they're moving to band cat decline in that state. California would then join five other states, including the District of Columbia, New York, Rhode Island, Maryland, and Virginia. The reason it's not out and out just banned is because it is a big money maker for a lot of events. This thing that they do to the cats is real quick. It's like ten minutes they're in and out, and they make a bundle on it. And a lot of people just don't know how bad it is. And there are lots of vets who will just tell you, oh, it's fine, they're you know, but these are not cat lovers. These are people, you know. It's like in any profession, there are always people who are in it for the wrong reasons, don't care what they do.
Speaker 1: There are money lovers and that's it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, this is really cruel and I had no idea. Now I will tell you it's not a gruesome documentary. I mean, that would be very hard for me to watch. It's actually hosted by someone who's pretty comedic, who's pretty funny, and she ends up calling veterinarians and posing as somebody who wants to declaw cat and asks you know, all kinds of questions and they just lie, lie, lie, on the other end, It's really kind of amazing. I totally recommend this documentary.
Speaker 1: Tell people where they can find it again on their cable system.
Speaker 2: You can watch this on demand and it's on all digital platforms anywhere that you purchase or rent your films, and it I think it became available on June seventeenth, so it is just out in the last two or three weeks. It is called American Cats, The Good, the Bad, and the Cudley. And if you look at the poster is the poster is actually kind of amusing, which is a sort of this ironic way they approach the subject so that you can actually watch it again. You're not going to see anything bloody and gruesome, but you're going to hear the gruesome details. You're gonna you're going to understand why you should never do.
Speaker 1: This to a cat, and everybody can learn something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was a This was a shocker to me and I'm so glad I never declawed a cat. I mean, I you know, I think there was a time when I might have thought about it. But you know, I let my cats in and out, but we live, you know, suburbs, so it works, and I don't let them out at night because you know, we do have coyotes around here. Actually lost a kitty to a coyote. Louis my poor Louis. Yuh, I mean it happens. It happens, and Louis killed many a bird and many a mouse, so you know, it's all part of the natural cycle, as it were. But no, I'm careful about when I let the cat out. But yeah, I never I never did have a catty claude, and now I'm actively advocating against it.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to tell the three people on hold. Jack, you've been holding for like seventeen minutes, and I appreciate that. Jack, Dixie and Kirk. We'll get to your calls with Joyce after the news, I promise you. And if you're dialing six one, seven two, fourteen thirty or eight eight, eight nine to nineteen thirty kar on night Side, you can't get through because I just mentioned I got three people on hold, So be patient. As one gets a chance to call in interact with Joyce, clear a line, they will be your opportunity. And now I'm going to take the break, So get ready. Time and temperature ten twenty nine seventy one degrees.
Speaker 4: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: Nightside goes on every weekday eight to midnight Dan Ray usually is here, but give the man a break. He deserves vacation time. So he's off for the next seven night sides tonight, tomorrow and all next week. He'll be back, I promise you, Jack and Dorchester. You've got the Empress of entertainment here on BZ.
Speaker 2: Hey right, how are you hi, Jack?
Speaker 5: How are you doing? Joyce?
Speaker 2: Very well? Thank you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you got me on TV one time. What were you doing You're at the Middle East. Of course, Peter Wolf is an house besides being a musician and your interview about his show.
Speaker 2: So yeah, with Peter Wolf.
Speaker 5: Peter Wolf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's such a doll, what a gentleman. He's so fabulous. Whenever I see him, he he kisses my hand because old school. He's great.
Speaker 1: And I'm going to say this, Bradley Jay next week is going to have Peter Wolf as a guest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I've met Peter Wolf a couple of times. Well, besides with you, uh and uh uh. Well, he used to go to a lot of the shows around Cambridge. They bring a couple of bottles away. Great, you know they're right.
Speaker 3: Well, and he just wrote a book.
Speaker 2: He just wrote a terrific book all about his experiences, which is really phenomenally interesting. The guy's very, you know, very literate and really really interesting person.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I know, well my brother has the book. I'm waiting you get it at any right? You tied at Brookline? How you am?
Speaker 1: I correct?
Speaker 2: I did. I taught there for two and a half years. I think it was from nineteen seventy six till about nineteen seventy eight, and then I quit and found a job on television. It was that.
Speaker 1: Summer lucky you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was kind of an amazing thing. But yes, why were you a student there?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: But well I'm just wondering. Did you have Conan O'Brien as a student by any kids?
Speaker 2: Conan O'Brien's brother was in my homeroom, believe it or not.
Speaker 3: Okay, but I did.
Speaker 2: Actually when Conan took over the show, you know, when he got on television like so many Boston people do. I don't know what it is. It's something in the water here, something about comedians hosting hosting talk shows. Conan O'Brien had me down to New York and we did an interview, and then I went to his home in Brookline. I met his parents and his sister. Just incredible guy. And now he's just gotten a huge award, the Mark Twain Award for Comedy. But yeah, we go, we go way back to Brookline High. But I didn't have Conan. I had his brother, his brother in my homeroom.
Speaker 1: And you were there in seventy six. I graduated in nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 2: Oh you're kidding.
Speaker 1: Thought you knew there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't remember that. Now we missed. We just missed each other in years.
Speaker 1: All right, Jack? What else? Real quick?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 5: Well, if I can fill in a blank, The Rolling Stones caught the gym down in Green Airport in Rhode Island and Kevin Moore and they were supposed to play in Boston. Kevin White had to get them out of jail and get them up to uh Boston, God and all, there was going to be a riot.
Speaker 2: If anyone could do it, it was Kevin White.
Speaker 5: Oh God, he was an amazing mirror. Kevin Hagen, Kevin from Heaven. Uh Dap O'Neill used to call him that. Ay right, okay, great, nice talking to you, and thanks for getting me on TV.
Speaker 2: Are you so welcome? Jack? Nice to nice to catch up.
Speaker 1: Take care of Jack, bye bye, and now, without further ado, a guest, I'm Morgan coming up next week. Actually, here's Dixie.
Speaker 6: Yes, you have to call me and tell me when I'm on.
Speaker 1: All right, well, hold on, talk to Joyce. Why I flipped through some pages.
Speaker 6: I've been waiting to talk to Joyce for about fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, get in line, pal, and what do you mean?
Speaker 6: And calling her the empress sounds like hyperbole, but in this case it's probably an understatement.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, So where have you been all my life? Why have you been waiting for fifteen years? What's going on?
Speaker 6: I have two film questions. But first of all, I'm talking kitties because I have four that were Ferrells and I have had him for fifteen years. Oh wow, I believe I told I was the first person to tell Morgan what he should expect when he got his kiddy.
Speaker 2: Oh, because he's got Maine coon cats or a Maine coon cat.
Speaker 1: I used to They have both unfortunately passed on. But Gray is a British short.
Speaker 2: Hair Oh yeah, those are so beautiful. I love those cats. But I'm interested in the feral cats. You have four cats who were feral, and you were able to domesticate them to some extent.
Speaker 6: I brought they were brought into the house by me, very carefully, very slowly, fifteen years ago, when their mother decided this was going to be a good house in which to leave them.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know, that's wonderful. So they're all they're litter mats.
Speaker 6: They're litter mats. I actually had more, but a couple of them have passed away, but I still have four.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, they're just so. Are they all different from each other? Too?
Speaker 6: Oh? Yes, absolutely, I have twos about cats.
Speaker 2: Two tigers, super dogs too.
Speaker 6: But I have two tigers and two blacks. And one black is the step the step brother of the other three. Same father, I mean, same mother, different father.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Yeah, they can do You can do that in the same litter actually, that that can happen.
Speaker 6: Well, the mother thought it was a good idea the first time, and she thought it was a good idea the second time the second time.
Speaker 1: Oh and by the way, Dixie, Dixie, a week from tomorrow, A week from tomorrow, the eleventh of July. Okay, you're on ten to midnight.
Speaker 6: Okay, fine, okay, all right, Joyce, here are your two film questions. We're gonna get in mister Peabody's time machine for a second. Wait, okay, I have been waiting to ask you these two questions for a very long time. Question number one is, on a scale of ten, give me your performance rating for Madonna in A League of Their Own?
Speaker 2: Oh, she was terrific League of their Own performance rating. Honestly, she was probably like a nine out of ten. She was great in that. And Madonna was not the best actress in the world. She could be so stiff and cold on camera and not be able to do anything. But A League of their Own was quite promising, and the other one was desperately seeking Susan. She was actually quite good in that. But I love that movie, A League of their Own. That's a terrific film, and she was very funny in it, and they cast her just right.
Speaker 1: Suppose I'm going for a fly ball and suppose Yeah, a great movie line.
Speaker 6: My favorite thirty seconds in that movie is when Shirley Baker doesn't know that her name is on the list because she can't read right. I know there's something that could have been put on the cutting room floor. Nobody would have known it, but it was exactly great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, terrific. I love. I have to say my favorite line from that film is nobody cries in base in baseball, Oh my god. Tom Hanks was so great. He was perfect.
Speaker 6: He was perfect form.
Speaker 2: And as you miss Geena Davis, I just miss her period. But she's gone on to do wonderful things about women in film and media.
Speaker 6: So yeah, okay. The second question take us back to you sitting in the theater the very first time, the first two minutes of you sitting and watching the opening scene of Star Wars number one. What are you thinking?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I knew you were going to ask me about Star Wars. This is so funny because when that, I have to tell you, I remember being amazed, just by the credits, Yeah, just by the credit it said. I felt like, well, it felt like the world was doubling in size somehow, and who knew, but the cinematic world really was, and we were being ushered into this whole franchise. But we weren't even calling it a franchise. It was just stuff we hadn't seen before. So I do remember that. I can't remember too much more about that, you know, I mean only that I loved the film and I do remember that my predecessor on wb Z And I'm just blanking on her name. Maybe my husband remembers it. No, it was somebody she did arts and entertainment, like just movies. I think it was a.
Speaker 1: Name, and I can't remember it either. It'll come to me.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm trying to remember. In any case, she trashed the film. She trashed the film but didn't compute at all. And I remember when I saw it. I remember feeling like my world was opening up and it was delightful. What was what was her name? Oh yeah, Mary Stuart, Mary Stuart.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In any case, that's that's all I can tell you. I remember I enjoyed it. I thought it was It had a very interesting tone. It was funny, but it was also exciting, and it had these quirky characters. And I remember loving Harrison Ford and I just I mean, it was the credits that just popped from me, like, oh my god, We're off on an adventure, and it was it was like my world doubled in size. It was amazing.
Speaker 6: I know. I remember the first two minutes. I was sitting there in whatever theater I was in, and I just said, holy blank blank, what is coming next.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were soaring through space. It was amazing.
Speaker 1: If you saw it in Boston, you probably started the Childs Theater there for a year.
Speaker 6: That's right, I did see it there.
Speaker 2: I think that's where I saw it as a matter of fact, And of course that's that's not there. But we're talking about that theater that's on, that was on. Is it Tremont Street?
Speaker 1: That is Cambridge Street.
Speaker 7: At the Cambridge Street Cambridge Street, it becomes Tremont in like fright, the other part of Tremont Street, and it's it's Cambridge Street and a great big theater set way back in like a plaza, a shopping.
Speaker 1: Plaza, yes, a stop and drop plaza.
Speaker 2: Yeah, amazing, amazing.
Speaker 1: All right, Dixie, I got a break to take, so thank.
Speaker 6: You very much. It was worth the fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Wait, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm going to take the last break of this hour. Kirk will be next. And I thought I saw Alison on hold, but she's not there now. So whomever is the next call, I guarantee you'll get a chance to speak with the Impress of Entertainment, Joyce Kulheywick here on bz's night Side Time ten forty six temperature seventy one degrees.
Speaker 4: Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: And before we take Kirk in Baltimore, Joyce My Nancy wanted to have me ask you a question of all the gazillions of movies you have watched and enjoyed. Yes, I'm not going to restrict it to one, but give me three top favorites.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, again, this is so hard. I mean, the first one that comes to mind, obviously is The Godfather. Oh you whatever, that's not I just get sucked in. In fact, I just watched another one the other night. And by the way, I'm remembering that as Marlon Branda was sitting there during the wedding behind his desk, as various people are coming into, you know, pay homage, et cetera, he's stroking a cat. He's playing with the beautiful little kitty cat, and it goes on and on and on in that scene. I'm just remembering that. No, I don't think he ever had a name. Pretty really, yeah, what what was what was the cat's name? The cat's name was Brando.
Speaker 1: That's what I've heard. The cat's name was Brando.
Speaker 2: Well, that's pretty cool. That's pretty cool. So the Godfather is right there. Other films that come to mind right away Days of Heaven Early Richard gear film and Terrence Malick cinematography, uh and Nsral Mendros, Fanny and Alexander Igmar Bergmann phenomenal. And then I like movies that I can just watch over and over again whenever they're on. I love watching The Fugitive with Harrison Ford as the fugitive, doctor Richard Kimball, Tommy Lee Jones after him. They're perfectly matched. I love die Hard. I love Sense and Sensibility with Kate Winslet and Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant. I love Something's Gotta Give with Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson and Keanu Reeves. I mean, there are so many, so many, so many, And.
Speaker 1: I like that scene from The Fugitive where he's on the act. The fugitive is on the aqueductor and it's either arender or jump fifty feet into the water.
Speaker 2: It looks like more than fifty feet. It's crazy. It's so crazy.
Speaker 1: I didn't kill my wife, and Jones says Richard, I don't care.
Speaker 2: I don't care, which becomes this lightmotif through the entire film, right right up to the last scene where they're sitting in the car, sitting in the in the police bark.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's take our last call the night. Kirk in Baltimore spoke with you a week or so ago. Welcome back, Kirk.
Speaker 3: Oh, good evening, Morgan, Good evening, Joyce. I told you I called back for your kiddie show. Mister Vinn. He's sitting on the porch right now contemplating his past glories when he had upper fangs. But that's anyway. I'll just tell you real quick. My mother used to work for a vet down here in Maryland, and this is thirty years ago. He would not declawe any cats when people brought him in he refused.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad to hear it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was very adamant. And since you like feral cats. Real quick. I worked for the CSX. I'm a low locomotive engineer and we have yard cats and I take care of them, and I've seen them and my and when we come back in the evening from our run and put the put the engine away, my conductor and the yard master called the big cat because they all come over to the engine and they wait for me to get off of it. Now there's only one I can pet, and the rest of them keep their distance, but they all wait till the big cat comes over. We have dried me out, and I give them a cannon wet food at night and they sit there on a bench and just relax with them, and they just and then they just disappear. But so I do, my little.
Speaker 2: Sweet I love that story. I just love that story. And you know, the cat cats are just so well, they're they're very subtle, obviously, and they're all quite different from each other. But they do like human companionship. But they're lone creatures. You know, they're solitary, and I sort of admire that about them. They're very independent.
Speaker 1: Kirk. Let me ask you, because i've heard this about rail yards, is there a rodent problem that the cats kind of keep in check?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, they handle all the mice. And it's funny. We have and we have foxes running around and we do Baltimore City, so those foxes are rough.
Speaker 2: Once in a while, I have foxes out here where I live, and they're so gorgeous.
Speaker 3: Well, we had a pair when we left out of the yard. We have an interlocking, which is a bunch of power switches, and there was a mother and I guess they call them kits, right, there was three of them running around in the springtime, and then a little stand out there playing and you're just like, and you guys just have a rough I'm feeding the cats. I feel sorry for the foxes. I don't know. I got to stop them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't stop. It's wonderful. It's absolutely wonderful.
Speaker 1: Kirk. Do you know what they call a female fox?
Speaker 3: A vixen?
Speaker 2: Wonderful?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I know, my creatures. But you can just refer to me as the big cat in the future.
Speaker 2: You know. It's so funny. Kirk. You have the name of the cat next door. They have a cat named Kirk. And this cat over to my house all the time, and he's an incredible hunter. And my cat, Virgil does not like him at all. They sort of, you know, they've they've they've managed to keep their distance and kind of, you know, tolerate each other. But I think Kirk is such a great cat name. But you're the big Kirk. You're the big cat.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, thank you, little thing. Now I'll get off of here. Mister of Vinnie. He's twenty years old. Great cat. Apparently he's going to my new next door neighbor's house and he sits on their porch and stairs at their cats are in doors, and I'm just like anybody, you got to give it up. You're too old, you got no fat, You're not going out with anybody he hangs out with. They had a black female and they sit there and mail through the door, and I'm going, Minnie, this.
Speaker 2: Is you know the door, and but Kirk is determined to get into my house. And one day I closed the door downstairs and I said, okay, Kirk, that's it, goodbye. I go upstairs. I'm gonna jump into the shower. I'm in the set and floor and I turn around and Kirk is on the roof of my house peaking in the second floor window at me.
Speaker 1: I thought, well, now, well, now, Kirk, thank you for I.
Speaker 2: Was standing on but it was that's Kirk, yeah.
Speaker 1: Kirk, yeah, bye you take care, Bye bye bye bye, Joyce. I can't thank you enough. Well know what you bring to my radio radio shows, whether it's Night Side or The Morgan Show. Your contribution is superb.
Speaker 2: And I say, oh, thank you do. I get to pitch one more.
Speaker 6: Thing real quick.
Speaker 1: Thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: Video Fest, the world's number one cat video festival, is back starting August second, and all the proceeds to this go to animal welfare organizations and cat charities. Just go to Cat Videofest dot com. It'll tell you where to watch in your city, all across the country and all around the world. This is second Catvideofest dot com. These are hilarious cat videos.
Speaker 1: The Empress of Entertainment, Joyce Goohey with Joyce, thank you. Next up, doctor Rhonda Gooddal talking about helping your kids be comfortable with the concept of going away to camp. Tire and temperature ten fifty eight seventy one degrees