Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Deep Blue see the podcast. On this show, we've been to the entire Deep Boosy trilogy. Scene by scene we're doing again, but not today. Today we are continuing our Year of Reptiles twenty twenty six ye Reptiles with a film we were planning to cover eightes ago. Like the first season, I think we talked. We talked about like let's do rogue at some point and even before with size reptiles, and now just a short five years later, we're finally tackling rogue. What is rogue or it is another two thousand and seven Australian creature feature. We've already covered God what Blackwater Blackwater very recently, but this one is written directed by Greg McLean, stars Michael Vartan, Roder Mitchell, Sam Worthington and a bunch of smaller characters, and we'll get into all of them, I'm sure. And it mainly follows a American travel journalist Pete played by Michael Vartan. He is writing an article about Australia in some capacity. He takes a tourist river cruise, Ryan's Wildlife River Cruise with a bunch of other tourists and they encounter a big crocodile and hilarity ensues. So I have a guest today who picked this film. I had never seen this before, so I was thrilled to watch a new film. She's joining us for the eighth time, joining the eight eight timers club. It's Jessica Manzi Kai jess welcome back to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me back. I can't believe we're finally recording about Rogue, which is the movie that I've somewhat inexplicably been bringing up over and over again as an option to watch. And I don't know why. I know you. I actually looked up in my email history how long this we'd been talking about Rogue, and it was in twenty twenty one when you sent out an initial list of Deep Blue Sea adjacent movies and I threw out, we could do Rogue or I could do forty seven meters down and I was like, wow, the lore of my podcast appearances are all And I also brought up Sphere, so yeah, so we've done episodes about all of those, and I think I just randomly was like, oh, yeah, I saw Rogue ones that could be fun to revisit. And then for five years. It's just kept coming up again and again and watching the movie, I go, I don't remember this movie at all. I don't know why. I definitely saw it because when I will, I looked up my letterbox. I had recorded it in twenty thirteen, but I had not retained barely anything of the movie. I knew about the like riverboat cruise part, but the actual like action of the movie I did not remember at all, So it felt very fresh nice.
Speaker 1: We also covered the lighthouse shark exclamation mark in Perana three D since in that time as well. So yeah, we just keep on putting off covering Coming Rogue. I don't know why, because I loved this film. Just this is we've covered. We're not recording these episodes of orders as if we ever did with anything. But I said on a recent recording that I needed to watch a good film soon, because we've been covering nothing but less good films. I did not enjoy Blackwater. Have you watched Blackwater?
Speaker 2: No? Don't even remember.
Speaker 1: It's it's have you seen open Water the Shark? No?
Speaker 2: But I know the concept.
Speaker 1: Blackwater is open water with the crocodile. Basically, it's like three people get stuck up a tree near a crocodile, and then we just hang out with them for an hour and a half and it's boring. It's very boring. I didn't enjoy it. I don't want realism in my creature pictures. I want fun and entertainment and lots of characters to be that can be killed, and action sequences and tension, not just well, I guess we're stuck here for an hour. We could go over there and over there.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good considering this movie also involves people kind of like stranded trying to figure something out.
Speaker 1: Crucially, there's more of them and they do stuff. Yeah, So I was overjoyed because I didn't know. All I knew was crocodile. That's all I knew going into this. I didn't know who was in it, who made it anything at all, And so I was very happy when he got on a boat with more than two other people on it, and there's like colorful characters and personalities on there. And I paused the film a little early on being like, Okay, this is who I think is going to die, and this is the all I think they're going to die. And I was happy to be very wrong, very very wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I had some few people who when they died, I was surprised that they went out when they did.
Speaker 1: I was more surprised by who survived. I think there's a character like you. Hmm. There's a couple of you who have just said we should kill that dog. So I feel like you should die, you should be dead in this film, and you're alive at the end. Well, to be fair, we see a bunch of them just go off into the jungle and we never see them again, so who knows what's eating them in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I definitely thought at least two people were going to die who didn't, So that that did keep me on my toes because I feel like these sorts of movies you can kind of pick out, Oh, they're kind of setting this person up to be very easy to kill off without hurting the audience too much. But this one, some of those people survived to the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's I mean, we're gonna this is a full spoiler podcast, before we before we go to full spoilers, recommend rogue. Would you say people should check out Roue if they're a fan of Deepsy, I would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think it's like the best creature feature. But it's very solid and enjoyable, and I don't see you why you would regret giving it a watch. There's definitely some fun scenes to it, and besides, seeing the Australian scenery is very pleasant, much more pleasant than watching a movie like Wolf Creek. I don't know if you've watched that, but I have not. Snow that's like more desolate Australia.
Speaker 1: Is that actually feature any kind of creatures of any kind?
Speaker 2: Wolves or creak? Yeah, no it doesn't. It just involves a sadistic murderer, which the actor is also in this movie.
Speaker 1: Is that that that's Russell John Jarrett. I think yes, yeah, he's also like picnicer hanging Rock from the Piece Away film.
Speaker 2: I know he's been around, but he is like a madman. And Wolf Creek, okay, that is a pretty brutal horror movie.
Speaker 1: Sure, because you know we're doing reptiles this year. We might do mammals at some point, who knows, And I feel like, oh, Creek could potentially be in a but yes, I guess humans are mammals. But I don't think we're gonna We're gonna do serial killers in mammals season. Yeah, we'll do like the King Goong franchise. And Marcus said, well bats fem called bats from night. He keeps going on, so we'll talk about bats and.
Speaker 2: Jumps on a YouTube video that talked about bats heavily and it looked so fun.
Speaker 1: It comes up every other episode that Mark is on. I feel like, I don't know why I've never seen it, But that's when we'll finally cover Grizzly. If there's a mammal film you want to put your name down for that, we'll cover in four years time. Keep the string, keep keep it going.
Speaker 2: You've really opened it up. And what about have you done movies about birds or is that also?
Speaker 1: We talked about that recently actually with your former franchiw Sunday Cooks. Nick was on recently. We couldn't find many like bird creature feature films other than The Birds and Bird. Other bird films are like animated films about geese, like like migration, that kind of thing. I was like, that's really I mean, we've covered Shark Tale, so we're not We're covering Rango at some point this year. I'm sure. I feel like I don't want to cover a whole franchise of geese films.
Speaker 2: That's not Yeah, that's not.
Speaker 1: What I want to do. What we could do the Mighty Ducks. We're do the Mighty Ducks. That's not gonna happen. That's not no, no, no.
Speaker 2: One episode on the Birds would probably suffice, I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And we can just we can just insert that in outside of a bird season any any old time. Like you know, we've covered non shark films prior to during shark seasons. Good wonderful.
Speaker 2: So U have you a movie alligator?
Speaker 1: We have? We've done alligator, We done Alligator to the mutation. What did those prior to this year?
Speaker 2: So yeah, the alligator? Or is it just alligator?
Speaker 1: It's just alligator? They got there could be another film called the Anallegator. But Robert Foster is an alligator.
Speaker 2: That movie has burned in my mind from watching it when I was a kid, particularly the pool scene. Okay, why because I just remember seeing that as a kid and thinking this is the scariest thing ever that there would just be an alligator in like a suburban pool.
Speaker 1: I don't remember the pool scene an alligator. I remember it's mainly like super.
Speaker 2: Based unless I'm mixing up movies.
Speaker 1: I mean, there are a few films with alligators in pools, but they have like quite recent.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, alligator from nineteen eighty.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, sorry, it's quite a brief scene. It's kids throwing a kid into a pool and gate. Yeah I'm with you now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's even funnier to me that that burned into my brain that it's just like a random It's not like characters we know.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh, go other kids on their we'n pad, where's it gonna go? Go to this Halloween party? Did you? So? Let's talk about Rogue.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about sidetrack.
Speaker 1: Sure, that's what we do. It's podcasting, happens. Any any favorite characters in the cast, any any stats, so we'll say spoilers. From this point on, this is recommended. Go check out Rogue. It's great. So any standout characters for you? The Survival didn't.
Speaker 2: I did enjoy Kate, even though she sometimes makes weird decisions. I did think she was a fun female lead for the movie. I think it would have been cool to maybe see her do a couple more like skillful things, because I assumed she would be like a skillful person growing up how she did. But I still thought she was cool.
Speaker 1: I liked her play by Roda Mitchell. Yes, she's like the tour the guide died on the on the tour, and man's the moment and everything. My one the moment was disappointed with her was when they had crashed on a little island and she's like trying to make a plan and she checks with Pete for his his opinion. So what do you think? I like, No, no, no, you're in charge. Like he's just some tourist guy. He's a writer from Chicago, he doesn't know anything. He hates animals. He said, this is you should. I wanted her to be like, this is what we're going to do and just kind of be confident about it. And when she asked his opinion, I was like, that's a little disappointing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The whole movie I kept just referring to Pete as city slicker.
Speaker 1: I just get writing, writer, writer, right, because people do have names in this but you don't find out half them until like the third I actually start calling each other by their names. They know each other. Why then it's like who was Russell? Who you think is Russells? No one said Hi, I'm Russell. That doesn't happen to just start calling him Russell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I barely know any of the character's names, to be honest, I'm just I just wrote down things like father, things like little notes like that. But I did love seeing it's she doesn't do much. But I was like, ah, Miawashakovska is in yes.
Speaker 1: Young Alice in Wonderland as as daughter of family.
Speaker 2: Her parents were a little intense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, I was very happy when her dad died. Alan played by Jeff Morron and so English, such a British character and such. When when they get stuck on the island and they make that rope bridge and at one point he is like, my wife's not going to do that. We don't know at that point that his wife is ill. At that point, I'm just like, this guy just thinks his wife, I'm thinking she'd better be ill. And they're not just saying like, oh, yeah, it's just she's just like an English lady over forty five. She can't possibly can't a rope bridge. But it turns out that she is dying of something. He's being protective of her, but yeah, there's better ways of doing it. He Yeah, he really kicks off that rope. Bridge sequences is definitely a highlight of you have one character like stopping in the middle, and then just the silliness, the real silliness, like, hey, she's stopped on this single rope, Let's send two people across to get stuck behind her.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Frustrating. Yeah, it's one of those frustrating moments, but you do kind of get that in the heat of the moment. It's not totally unrealistic someone would make that bad decision, but it was just like, oh, this it seemed far fetched that this could work, but now it's definitely not gonna work. Yeah, getting everyone across.
Speaker 1: If we have a child behind her, maybe it'll spur her on to keep going. Maybe, but if it doesn't, then it's that's a big risk you're taking. Yeah, for all three of those people to fall in the water and make it back to the island. And before Sam Worthington is in this film, him to be the one who's taken out and despite being on the land he made it across. He's the i who could go to safety, when now he's the one who dies. That was my big surprise was him being taken out earlier at the year me too.
Speaker 2: I thought he was going to last a while, and him dying there was very shocking. And then so I felt like the whole scene was very tense because you have him getting across, then the rope bridge, and then that falling apart, Neil dying and he's one of the only character names that I picked up on because I she called, she's yelling at him by name.
Speaker 1: Is like a bunch of like Colin.
Speaker 2: And then right after that, when the father is killed on the on the shore, that so much had already happened. Even though somewhat you kind of expect that, oh no, he's there, he's probably gonna get snatched, it still had an element of surprise because so much action had just taken place. Uh, But that was the really, the first really good look at the I should know this was this an alligator or a crocodile.
Speaker 1: It's a crocodile. It's my general rule is if he's in Australia, it's a crocodile. If it's in America, I keep on getting it wrong on the show, but that's what I'm picking up Australian.
Speaker 2: But that was your first good look at how big and massive the crocodile was.
Speaker 1: So that was fun, absolutely, and his death the Alan. His death was my favorite because as he's been as he's being taken away, we've said it's been brought up in the in the in the film ready that if like the crocks won't get eat immediately, you're like tear you to pieces and drag you off to its nest whatever. And it's like dragging him off. It's removed his arm. I think it's dragginghim up. And as he's being taken away, he's like, oh, oh no, and it's such an English he's been so English. As he's being killed, Oh, oh dear, Oh what's happening. As he's just been dragged water by this enormous krogile. Oh my gosh, And that's gonna be like his his family's surviving memory of him is that, oh dear, what's happening? And I loved it. Yeah, So I expected one of the parents to die, And when we found out that that the mother was ill, I thought they were probably both like she would like give herself, like sacrifice herself to save her daughter or something.
Speaker 2: I definitely expected that too.
Speaker 1: Didn't happen. She makes it out, possibly with a new partner who knows, okay, the same thing. Yeah, that was a couple of things you don't often get a these kind of films. Is there's a couple of like touching moments and they come mainly from the character Russell John Jarrett, the guy has been in every Australian film made since nineteen seventy five. He's in Australia. Of course in Australia contractual obligation. I think it for all Australia to be in Australia. And he as when they're out on the crew. When he arrives on the boat, they're doing the tickets and he's got two tickets and it's just him on his own, and case like you've got two tickets, You're like, yeah, just i'me alone. It's quite quiet moment you think, oh, something's happened here. I think he's got a look of a serial killer about him. I didn't know he'd played that Mpolf Creek, so that was kind of I'm pleased with that. I kind of picked up on that and I feel sorry for him. But like this has this guy just like robbed people and he's going to take over the boat, and it's gonna he's gonna drive into a crocodile. What's gonna happen? I had no idea where this film was going to go over than a crocodile. So we then see a moment where he's quietly spreading his wife's ashes into I assume his wife his partner could be a husband. I don't know, spreading his part his partner's ashes into the water as are going. So maybe they shared some memory here, the honeymoon here whatever. Either way, that was like a nice, little touching moment that you wouldn't often see in this kind of film. No one comments on it. You have to be watching to see it. No one's like, hey, you can't do that. It just it just happens. He does it nice. And then later after Alan is killed, he then kind of tends to Alan's widow now Heather Mitchell, and he they have a little little moment we're like, I'm sorry, I can't imagine what it's like to not have a chance to say goodbye, because an idea that in his situation there's been more of a prolonged illness again, and he had a chance to say goodbye to his partner, perhaps, but it also felt like he was making a move he was. He was like, hell of a day, you got there kind of thing. Are you maybe wait till the crocodile's finished the meal before you start making moves on on the widow. I don't know. It could have been a nice guy. But he then saves her. He like because she cuds whims, so he gets her a gross at the end.
Speaker 2: It definitely gave that vibe he was.
Speaker 1: I think my favorite character is because it's someone you don't often see in these kind of films. It's a different, different kind of guy. Yeah, and I liked him at least. Favorite character is probably Simon, the camera guy wearing the T shirt with the man pointed to his face and the legend pointing to his crutch. Hated this guy, hated he survived. I thought he would die immediately, like first to die that.
Speaker 2: Was the other character, the mom and Simon. I was like, they will definitely die, especially at the end, like if you've been paying any amount of attention, you've noticed his shirt, and then at the end they do like an extreme close up, like just in case you missed it, And I was like, Okay, now he's definitely gonna die. But they have the scene where he's like taking the beer that was on the boat that capsizedly.
Speaker 1: Not telling anyone. He just like looks around my bit. Now. Yeah, he was just.
Speaker 2: Completely being set up to be like a somewhat comedic kill off, but it didn't happen.
Speaker 1: And when we introduced him on the boat, the family asked him to take their picture with me and Prodrick's camera and he takes up, oh, that's a nice camera. It's not an SLR and gets that in reels of all the specs of his He's one of those guys, one of those people who just can't stop telling you about their camera and they like people. The family are like, oh, that's that's interesting, and he just keeps going, like this guy needs to die. We need to have him filming the inside of a crocodile within ten minutes of this happening. And no, so yeah, hey, yeah, this guy appalled that he survived. He's like, yeah, he should be like tyber Ellen Dawn of the Dead. He's like a dick, he said, up as a dick, and then he should be taken out. And I was surprised when the Irish lady played by Celia Island Gwen, I thought she might die as well, just because she seemed alone. She's smoking, you know, bad smoking films. But then she does move when she's aught to move, so and she just kind of seems a little bit annoying. Yeah, but she makes it out as well, So what do I know? Who knows?
Speaker 2: Speaking of smoking? Early on, when you see Pete, the first intro of him is putting out his cigarette butt with his foot and just leaving it on the ground. I was like, is this a sign that he's a villain, because to me, that is villainous behavior to leave your cigarette. But on like the Australian ground like, no, don't do that.
Speaker 1: I agree, Yeah, I mean I have I have never smoked, but I also would if I did, so I wouldn't I hate people just like flick the cigarettes out of cars or whatever you throw it away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he ends up being the hero.
Speaker 1: Does what do I know? He does? And we'll get to the ending at the end of it. But I don't think anyone believes him when he gets back and explains what happened. I think that's just his head. Talking of villains, you've met my wife. You're friends with my wife. She has cooked you dinner. Yes, she might consider you a villain now, Jess, I don't think. I don't think she likes you to anymore because he picks this film and you told us to watch this film, and this film features an adorable dog, lovely dog, Kevin the dog, beautiful dog, beautiful creature. That dog gets eaten by crocodile in this film. We're Happening was so We're happening.
Speaker 2: That was so upsetting. I'm so sorry you've treated me so well. You're so lovely. I'm so sorry to do that to you too.
Speaker 1: Keep bowling. We bought fish and chips. We made you late for a train then to p another one was bounced.
Speaker 2: Like I said, I did not remember barely anything that happened in this movie. And when that happened, I was so upset. My mouth was just like hanging open. I cannot believe that they did that, let alone how gruesome it was. It was horrible.
Speaker 1: When they were in the caves towards the end, Kevin hasn't been on screen for a little bit, and I like, Asia says like my wife Acia, She's like, what's the dog and I pause it and go hmm, and I checked on does the doog die dot com? So I rarely use I don't like spoilers. And it's like, yep, dog dies gruesome and grizzly. And I was like, do you mind, We've got fifteen minutes left. I can finish watching this tomorrow. And she's like, it's fine. She was doing some cross ditching at the time. It's fine, but she didn't have time to look away because I unpaused it immediately as we saw the dog inside the crocodile, like straight away, I was like, suctually as I paused it, it was I thought that was like the court the Sam Worthington corpseizing me, is that he finds? I thought that was what was in the mouth. But no, it's a dog. It's Kevin. The dog. Kevin died, upsetting, unhappy. Don't do it again, I promise.
Speaker 2: I didn't remember that.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's it's fine.
Speaker 2: It was bad enough. When the group was talking about sacrificing the dog, I was like, these people are monsters.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, And because they is it the dead geese or something that they they're there, they have like Simon just goes, oh, hang on a second and a gee, so he knew he was one one one suggesting we used the dog as bait, and he knows the yeah. As soon as he and Elizabeth Elizabeth, I have been three and a half years. I've been say, like, striving for any one more day with my daughter, and you're going to sacrifice your dog so I can have another one? Okay, okay, lady, No, No, that's not happening right now in this film, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just have a note that says Kevin. No, that's gonna be my letter named Kevin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dog and Kevin. I really wanted it to find out that Kevin was a girl, because that's what happens it up. Kevin's a girl. But no different film. That's a bird film, I guess, or a mammal film as a talking dog with a bunch of talking dogs. So what did you think of our hero of Michael Vatan as Pete mckel other than him being a cigarette littering villain. Did you think he worked as the lead or the co lead?
Speaker 2: I think he did all right. I think he had a bit of a journey from being a quick turn about from being not very outdoorsy, like he's wearing a suit to go on the riverboat cruise.
Speaker 1: It's sick, he's lost a suitcase. That's the only clothes he's got left. He decided to travel in a suit. Because this was two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: It was giving a bit of like Survivor, where they make the businessman wear a suit to like on the season. But by the end he is a fairly capable, brave, adventurous man. So there was a bit of a hero's journey there, I guess, but I thought he was. He's fine. He has that look of like the two thousands to me, like if it felt very of that time.
Speaker 1: See an actor you're familiar with at all outside of Rogue, not super.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've seen him here and there, but I don't I wouldn't say I'm super well versed.
Speaker 1: Same I don't think i've seen anything else he's been in. Apparently he's like in One Hour Photo, but I don't remember much about that film. But when my age was like, he's from something and he's the guy in Monster in Law, he's, you know, the son of Jane Vonder and the husband of je I was like, yeah, he's got that look of being just like the guy in something. He's he's he's not the main part of this. He's the guy that yeah clicks tracks, so nothing against him. He's you know, he's he fits the role. This is decent enough, but he's not like making a big impression. Uh, Sam Worthington does, He's really sinks into the role of being a knob, just kind of showing up and being I assume he's like Kate's X of some kind. It's kind of the vibe get as he kind of shows up and some havoc. But you then like, uh, Pete and the husband who had a name probably m M not seeing it Everett Everett.
Speaker 2: Yes, the guy she calls John Wayne.
Speaker 1: Yes, they like they don't don't stand up anything, but they're like, hey, guy, go away. And then they get called four Eyes and John Wayne as like heroes of the day. Okay, they said a little thing they didn't, you know, it is bare minimum, but sure. Yeah. Apparently Sam Worlington did that stunt of falling in the water and was scared to do so because where they did it, a crocodile had been there recently. There was like there was like news of a crocodile being there, so he refused to he get on like ruining the takes by being scared to fall in the water. And it actually took the director to put to put a James Cameron and be like, this is how you do it. And so he's like went for a swim in the water that was crocodile to proved to Sam Worthington that it was fine to do it. And then Sam won did it and then he found out that it wasn't a crocodile. They hadn't been there for rages. It has been relocated.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that's funny. He did look scared in that scene when he goes into the water, so that's why that worked. I felt like that was one of the more like emotive performances I've seen from Sam Worthington where he's like has a personal like a bigger personality, and it wasn't a good personality, but it still was like more of a personality than I feel like a lot of his roles. He's very just like straight man like stoic kind of roles.
Speaker 1: Jake Jake Sully, Yeah, sure, which you know, Hey, I like I like the Avita film is a great deal. A big fan of them that has nothing to do with Sam Worthington, mean in it, he doesn't harm them, but you must do you know that Matt Damon was supposed to be that character.
Speaker 2: I did not know that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Matt Damiens. He's done an interviews before where he was offered the role of Sam Worthing's of Jake Sully in Avatar and he turned it down because he wasn't He didn't want to get tight or a franchise whatever at all of the setch effects work. He wasn't. Just he was offered I think something like ten of the profits of the film, which would have been two hundred million dollars.
Speaker 2: Rough And yeah, he guessing Sam didn't get that deal.
Speaker 1: I highly doubt it. But yeah, when Damon talks about that, you just get he gets that look in his eyes like God, oh no, the most anyone's ever turned down for a role. Yeah, and I like my David quite a bit, so I would have been fine with that. But there we are. Yeah. I think that this was before Avatar. So maybe this is one of the things that James Cameron saw, like, hey, him in my film. Maybe perhaps I don't know, but yeah, as we said, wasn't expecting his stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, when Neil and Colin show up, like after the river Cruz has capsized and then they're they roll in and are just kind of like taunting them from the boat, and then and they realize like something's wrong. I honestly was, huh, this.
Speaker 1: Went wrong with that boat? Oh, crocodile.
Speaker 2: I was shocked that that was the timing of the croc like knocking their boat over, so that I mean, I kind of expected something was going to go wrong, but it still was like, Oh, that happened really fast.
Speaker 1: Their boat goes down quick, it was knocked up, and then when they like surface, the boat is sunk already it.
Speaker 2: Is, and Colin's gone. I also thought like right after soon after that, Everett, the John Wayne guy, when he he's sort of the first person on the little island who is killed and he's just like snatched from the shoreline, and that was so that was so creepy, Like it was so quiet that it made it almost scarier than later on when the father is actually like visibly taken and like that's a much bigger moment, but just how quietly Everett was taken. Was very scary to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it helps build up like how big is this crocodile because it's been said like they don't tend to attack things that are smaller than them, and it took out a pretty big boat, so is it is it like bigger than the boat? And I don't think I think it's comparable. We do see it later and it is huge. It is a monster, and I think the effects are pretty good. Actually there for two thousand and seven it's on screen. I think it has like less than six minutes of actual screen time, which fine, but I had I didn't like, look at it, go like that's terrible. Bear in mind, this is the film I watched meekly before this was Anaconda three Offspring, in which the snake is awful. And we've recently covered the likes of Mega Python versus Gatoroid, which the effects are awful. This is this is comfortable to that. You got to mind where I'm approaching this from Oh my gosh, and like you know, attack of the meth Gate we covered recently on the show, but we just don't have good effects. This has good effects. This looks like a crocodile. This looks like a big yeah, you know, I was happy with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looked. It looked pretty good, especially at the end when they're in the crocodile layer, which is a very cool scene and concept. You see it very very clearly on screen, and it's it still looks pretty good.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah. And when so prior to that, they had a plan to get off the island with they fight, like he finds a big hook and they put the geese on it, not the dog. They put the keeye on it. In the water, he like stays behind the jostle the rope. Everyone else gets off. Kate decides to like hang around for ages. I don't know why. She's the last one off the island before him, and she starts swimming across and then the croc let's let's go at the bait and she gets taken. And because we've already had Sam Worthington taken earlier, I was like, oh, surprised. I thought she was dead like the film. The film got me. I was like, oh, gone, and I'll give her credit. She was like, no, she's probably been taken to the crocs lair they mentioned earlier. I was like, yeah, you're not even watching this film probably and you picked up on that and I didn't. It's incredibly so and that is that is the case. They get onto the land and the pete has Kevin still and Kevin like runs off following the scent. They get to the caves and yeah, I think I think that cave sequence work very well. It's kind of believable. What this this travel writer against crocodile fight doesn't go very well to start with. He like finds a big stick and the croc just grabs a big stick and snaps in and thrashes around a bit, like, Yeah, that's what that makes sense. You'll go this crocodile is huge. You're gonna lose this fight. Try by all means, but you're gonna lose. Then the final act A bunch of these films end with the animal spearing itself through the head. That seems to be the main way of taking out a big creature. It happens in the Shallows. In both of the Blackwater films, they get both get shot in the head from a gun that's inside their mouth. I think a very few of the films that we've covered end that way, but hey, it was the big stick that the crocodile itself sharpened by biting it earlier. He lodged it against the rock, and then he like sits there and the crock attacks him and can't close his mouth on him because the rock is in the way and the spears is of the head with the spear, and he like survives unscathed in the in the the little gap between croc and rock. And then he gets out and carries a cake to safety. And not a single soul in the world it's gonna believe that happened. No, not a single person. No one is going to be like, He's going to go to the pub and try and get a drink, try and get trying, so all night you're this story. No one's gonna believe a word of it.
Speaker 3: I picked up this stick, this giant stick, and I got him the rock, and I wedged end in. This thing was huge, it could be in the whole man. I just stabbed it and I climbed out. I was unscathed, and be like, nah, look at you. Not a chance, not a chance, Michael, No way in hell.
Speaker 1: I feel sorry for you.
Speaker 2: He has to carry around that article that played over the credits.
Speaker 1: Will you see that? I didn't. This film ended with no credits For me, It just film ended no credits, So I don't know.
Speaker 2: Did it show you back in the like the convenience store he goes into. You know, I was covered with articles the very ending. It like does a zoom in on that wall and there's an article added in the middle that's like American man slays giant crocodile.
Speaker 1: I did not say that, but that will help his story certainly. So they went was was there a pick sure attached to it?
Speaker 2: I think there was a picture of him, But I don't know if he was with the crocodile.
Speaker 1: Because I guess it could they could go back and so I see that that's a little peak shaped hole that I was in between the croc and the rock with the big stick. So I guess, look, here's my footprints. Please believe me. Yes, I guess he could write write a book on that. Yeah, I'll go back and check the end of the film, because I didn't. I didn't see that in the crowds. I would go back and check.
Speaker 2: I did think when they were at the convenience store at the beginning, I guess that's what it is or is it a little like, yeah diner type place. I was like, this place has Texas chainsaw vibes. Sure, it was so creepy, the different people sitting around.
Speaker 1: And like a pig next to him. It sounded like a pig.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had like jarred animal parts and things in them, And yeah, it definitely had a weird vibe where if you didn't know there was a crocodile, you might think that he just stumbled into a small town, uh filled with murderers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, which might also be true the Brisbane chainsaw messico. Yeah yeah, I mean that would have that goes with my uh Russell the widower being a serial killers in the town.
Speaker 2: Both things could be true. Just because we didn't see anyone being killed by a human doesn't mean that it wasn't happening off screen.
Speaker 1: Maybe he killed his wife, who knows? Uh, just good. Is there anything else in the film that you wanted to talk about? Anything we've missed?
Speaker 2: I did really like So when the riverboat cruise capsizes, it runs into an island in the middle of the river, and once they're on it. I believe it was Russell who says this is a tidal river, so the water will continue to rise and by morning the island wouldn't even be there anymore, which drives the action of having to get get to the shoreline on the other side to escape. I thought that was a very fun plot device. It it made things like more exciting, and seeing how the island was getting smaller was very cool to see. From a production aspect of the movie I was interested in. I didn't really read up on, you know, if there's any behind the scenes on that about how they kind of created that, like because you could clearly see the island getting smaller as it goes. But that was a fun way to have them like add another.
Speaker 1: Obstacle, so the ticking clock element to it, which yeah, I like that as well. I mean it adds some propulsion to the blot and I like every every now and then you get a shot of like a little footprint being filled with water just I guess the water levels and the fire has not been put out by the water. Yeah, that was that was good, Like this is where the water goes up to and it was still like enough land from water standal on the top if they if they wanted to, but it would be a lot easier for the crop to then just get them because they would have been a lot they would be near the water's edge at all times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was good.
Speaker 1: And when they get on the island, the boat radio doesn't work or anything. So Russell's what it says is it's a tieline. But he's also like, no bloody radio. You got stuck in this with no bloody radio. And he'd been like quite a nice, like why sedated character at that point it just kicks off there's no radio, which again, hey, it's it's in that kind of situation you probably probably would. I've been watching a lot of Australian films recently. With doing reptiles this year, a lot of them seem to be said in Australia for some reason. And then my favorite podcast, blank Check is doing the films of Peter Weir, and so I've been watching a bunch of Peter Weir films recently. And so I've just been watching a bunch of Australian films and it's great Australian films can there's there's got a great bunch of films coming over. I just watched Gallipoli the other day, which is is. It's like a Australian World War One film with a pretty insanity. Mel Gibson in like the co lead of it, and it's good. It's mainly like war sucks, where is dumb? Don't do war is the main takeaway from that film. But it's actually very well done. And like the Cars that The Cars eight. Paris is an odd little film. Not not Paris, France, Paris Australia. There's too many Parises in the world. Theres at least three. We don't need one. Yeah, it's fun. There's some good films from from Peter Wick, uh, Australia in general, and I don't know what other there's surely going to be more cropping up in this series with so it's got to be more from Australia. With me. They have all the animals, sure, that's where the reptiles came from.
Speaker 2: The other thing I was going to mention were the other creatures that were attacking them the entire movie, which was the flies flies, yes, which I imagine they were actually just dealing with in real life and it looked miserable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people trying to act with flies on their faces. No, thank you. They're just like landing on their cheeks or there is what are you doing close up? This isn't no, no, we can't do this. Stop it horrible. I hate it. Yeah, there's a bunch of animals. I do like when they pepper films with like shots of animals. Didn't need a water buffalo to eat in by crocodile in the opening scene, wasn't the fan, No thank you? And then there's just like shots of a reptile of some guy like a guana or something. Climbing a tree. Is probably not in the iguana because it's not Miami. It's going to be It's like climbing a tree as I'm going I just like color in that way. Yeah, have the giant grasshoppers clinging to little bits of little stems in the water towards the end, just biro people doing biro of animals in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That that was besides the, like you said, the water buffalo dying at the beginning, all the other wildlife shots were pretty fun. I had one last thing that I was going to bring up. So the entire time I've thought of this movie Rogue, since I brought it up to you. I brought I told my husband Rob, you know Rob. He was also there for the bowling and fish and chips. I was like, it's about you know, I probably said Alligator in Australia and it's starring Olivia Wilde, different present, and I one percent told him I or I one hundred percent thought that she was the lead in this movie, or at least was in it. I couldn't remember. I didn't necessarily think she was the riverboat captain or you know, I didn't necessarily think she was Kate. But maybe that is who I was thinking of, because nobody else she doesn't even look like Olivia wild but I can't imagine anyone else who did. And I looked through Olivia Wilde's filmography. There is nothing that I could have been mixing up in my brain. So I just made that up.
Speaker 1: So I thought this starn Rhonamitra because I always get her and RDA. Mitchell mixed up because they have similar names. And that's that's all it is, is the R and the the meter and the Mitchell. So like I said to A we're watching Crocodile film tonight. It's got Rhona Metro.
Speaker 3: She was on.
Speaker 1: She's like retired from acting for a while and went just lived in the Wild and she appeared on this TV show called Ben Fog Lives in the Wild or something, and she was on that and do you remember that show? She like that lady. She's in this and she's not in this different person. Yeah, this is This is rad Rada Mitchell, who was in you know, Silent Hill and Neighbors, h Pitch Black, Great and Pitch Black.
Speaker 2: When the opening credits started, I was like, where's Olivia Wilde's name? It's not here in this. Then I googled it really quick and was like, what the hell was I thinking?
Speaker 1: She's just like Michael Vartan is the guy and stuff. She's very much the lady in the Olympus Has Fallen trilogy where she's like Gerard Butler's wife, but like at the start of both of them in the first two, and then she was recast in the third one. Oh yeah, because then she has more to do, so so they can't. I want to say it was God, Piper Baraboo. I think, yeah, Piper Perah. Apparently there's rather Mitchell had a scheduled scheduling conflict.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's the shame. Okay, great, Well, I leaved even through all of my notes, I think normally at this time, listeners is listeners. If this is your first time listening to the show, welcomes. This is Deeply see the podcast. When I go through the film, I also go through it and work out how deep all the action takes place, out how blue everything is on screen, and how much of it takes place at sea. My day has gone to pop today and I haven't had a chance to do that. Jess, I'm sorry. I will do that before this episode gets released, but I don't have the figures now. However, you can still make your guess because still like guess how much you think it is, and then I can put in how right or wrong you were later.
Speaker 2: So sorry, it's okay.
Speaker 1: So Deeply is of course on average fourteen and a half meters of forty seven and a half feet deep, about thirty one percent blue and eighty nine percent of it takes place at sea. Do you think do you think Rogue is deeper blue or more at sea than deeplu.
Speaker 2: Sy I would say less on all accounts.
Speaker 1: I would agree as well, probably because I don't think I mean, they're in the caves at the end are underground, so I'll count that as being deep. It's not a terribly blue film as most of these films you have, like Blue in the Sky, but the water seems pretty murky. And then never at sea, not a single second lay at see it's a river, never at sea. They're salt to crocodiles. But it's a river's a saltwater river. So zero yes, So this is Jay's jumping back in after we recorded. I have now done the full deep blue sea analysis of Rogue, and as predicted, not a very deep film works out being eleven centimeters or zero point three seven feet in underwater, so it's slightly deeper than Lifeboat and slightly less deep than Ghost Shark sixty one on the ranking blueness. Not a very blue film two point zero three percent blue, which is slightly bluer than Five Days of War, slightly less blue than the deep Blue Sea at two point zero fourth, very close, very close, one hundred and forty three on the ranking blueness. And just as we said, zero percent at sea, never at sea for a second, but thirty point six percent of it is at water on the water, so that's more at water than night swim less at Water than Fit Belo neither which error in the sea either. Back to the show, but one thing we have been doing is how thematically Deep Blue and at Sea is this film in comparisons deeply see? And that means right, that's the correct expression should have on your face, because we haven't got any kind of figures to quantify this. This is just pure vibes. So depth wise are the characters in Rogue like deeper? Is there more to them as like characters than in Deep Lucy?
Speaker 2: Interesting? I do think that this movie does a good job of establishing sort of what's going on with the different characters very quickly and giving them the like just a little bit of like a personality and a tiny bit of backstory for some of them. But I would say in comparison, I I would say, compared to the Alzheimer's storyline, that goes deeper than like all the surface level stuff of Rogue.
Speaker 1: Sure, I think that's fair. I think some of the smaller characters have more depth to them in Rogue than in Deep For instance, that the likes you know, we'd have Edittori on this show, but she doesn't. Her characters don't have a lot to do in Deep she's just like, Hey, she's loud, she likes to party, she's she's she's exploded. Okay, So I think like that that kind of comparable levels of that to the characters here. The overall, I think more depth and deep bluer, how happy or sad? Other characters in Rogue sadder? Are they more blue than in Deeplus?
Speaker 2: Would you say, now, is this like pre animal attack or or post animal attack through throughout?
Speaker 1: Yeah, hard to hard to judge this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say more in in Rogue because there is a child involved, Yeah, that it changes things. And there's a dog, well is there a dog? Indepussy, there's a there's a bird in right, of course, of course there's a bird. Oh that is really sad too. I'm gonna say Rogue is maybe a little sadder because of the whole like widow and the child losing her father in front of her while her mother is like, seems like she's dying soon. So I'll go with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's one of the things we do. But up against in deeps is when characters die, people don't often care that much. You get like this is for skugs, and you get like, yeah, preacher doing it like, oh are you all that made it? You get like a little like sad response from from Susan and that's about it. So yeah, I think because this is this is like small small like families that really know each other, where like people are taking out mid family kind of thing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, John Wayne's partner like she loses him to lose down mind. Yeah, but that's very traumatic.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. And then at see other characters in Rogue more lost than in Deep Busy.
Speaker 2: Well Simon with his the Man the Legend, suret he definitely seems lost.
Speaker 1: He seems like a loser. Sure, I think they are more lost in Rogue. They don't know where they are, whereas in Deep Sy they know where they are. They're on a guadaca.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, if you look at it that way, that's definitely true. Yes, they are definitely lost. People see that. You know, they know exactly where they are, ye.
Speaker 1: Where they work, They've been there a bunch of times. Yeah. Yeah, great, So that's we haven't worked out a way of tapulating this in the Crath or anything. It's just a way we'd like to end of the show sometimes. So good, uh great, So that I think that that will do it for rogue.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought I had two other notes. Actually, I was saving for this for the Deep Blue Cy comparison, because I know sometimes you bring up like scenes that relate back to Deep Lucy. There was two things, okay that I jotted down. When the father is killed, it is a little Sam Jackson like he's not making a speech, but it comes up behind him and takes him out, and it's a shocking moment. And also at the end and Kate is being hauled away on a by a helicopter. Now she isn't attacked or there's no storm going on, but it did remind me.
Speaker 1: Of that she is not later used to break a giant window underwater. But the style of the scene is certainly Yeah, those are both. And and when they're doing the rope bridge thing and they fall off that that's kind of like Janis falls off of the ladder in the tower. Oh yeah, yeah, but Janis dies in that scenes true, And there's a giant animal both of them eat people of course, would big I think rogue is a good title for this. I'm assuming it's like it's the it's a rogue crocodile, a word I don't know if it E've actually said in this probably is there was an there's another film, is it? With the Rogue twenty twenty with Megan Fox? Megan Fox lion film called which I have seen and do not remember.
Speaker 2: Is that also like an attack? Like the lions attacking people?
Speaker 1: It's it's Megan Fox plays like a mercenary. She's like head of a mercenary team that's sent to go and retrieve someone and then they encounter a lion along the way. It's in Africa. I saw it. I think I saw it in the cinema. Yeah, pass one of those films that I watched and then it fell out of my head. Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I when I was searching for our emails about Rogue, it had a shocking number of results because it brought up a ton of emails about Rogue one and Mission Impossible.
Speaker 1: I didn't I didn't recall that we discussed those films quite so much every email. But I mean, you did a whole.
Speaker 2: Podcast, but I just searched Sea.
Speaker 1: Because you did a whole STOs podcast, So, but you didn't have a Rogue one in that.
Speaker 2: I think it just was French to Sunday related emails and like Lamb Cast. Emails about doing episodes about those.
Speaker 1: Movies were definitely from me at the time. Yeah, that was my tenure. Excellent. Well, do you have anything anything that you want to plug any any current podcasting product, projects or future or past anything else.
Speaker 2: No, I don't. I don't have anything to bring up.
Speaker 1: And if you want to listen to Jazz on First Las Sunday, you can't because it's been taken down. I can because I have an archive, but I'm not supposed to.
Speaker 2: Pit j up for it.
Speaker 1: Hit me up, I'll send anything or not. Yeah, the falls are huge, but there we are. It's fine. Uh good, excellent. Well, you can follow this podcast all over social media at Deep Blue Sea Deep we see pod or email step we see pod, Gmail dot com. My personal site is life is This Film dot com. I should have some more David Lynch reviews up by the time this comes up, because I've finished my review of twenty twenty five in March, and since then I have watched Lost Highway and Inland Empire and The Straight Stories, so that we'll be reviews those soon and then hopefully I'll be getting onto Twin Peaks. The return seen by episode of episodes and reviewing that there. So Lifeless is film dot com is where you can read that. I'll be doing an episode but episode recap, watch along kind of things I haven't seen them before.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: Next week will probably be an episode on and Deep we see a chapter of That's that's what we do here. We're near the end. We've got like two episodes left, I think, so we'll get we're they're nearly done. But as for Rogue, thank you once again to my incredible guest Jess Manzo. Thank you for waiting so long to cover the films in the banking I have been Jake Bluer and we'll Deep Blue see you next week.
Speaker 2: H