Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now, here's nick coffee.
Speaker 2: As we get the five o'clock hours started here on a Thursday afternoon, first day of the NFL season. It sounds like we've got some technical difficulties on our hands here. There were a few people in the text on that had mentioned this, and I never know what to take from that, but one of my buddies sent in a video of what it sounded like when he was listening to us in his vehicle, and it doesn't didn't sound good, and it's not my fault. I mean, I'm not sure I sounded good with or without technical difficulties. But yeah, so they're working on it. I've let the higher ups know and hopefully we're we're good to go asap. And maybe you're not even noticing these issues, but I know some are, and again they're working on it, so I don't I would imagine John, we work in radio. But I'm gonna ask a really dumb question. Okay, what's a transmitter?
Speaker 3: The transmitter is the big thing that you know. It's kind of like the the gear shift. I guess it kind of keeps us on course.
Speaker 2: You could be making that up. They could be making you could be making that up. Are you being like that.
Speaker 3: Might have been a horrible analogy?
Speaker 2: Is that like on the Is it on a tower?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, so like if they're streaming the show, they probably wouldn't be impacted by the transmitter.
Speaker 3: I assuming people listening via stream don't notice the problem.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, if you're trying to listen to us and it doesn't sound good and it's this transmitter issue, then I assume the stream will work fine. And you know, I when I listen to the radio, like the actual radio and not a stream, like I'm usually doing that in my vehicle, but it's very easy to do it when you're like when I've traveled and wanted to listen to Tony and Dwight or something like that, Like if I've got my phone plugged into my car, like all i gotta do is pop open the app and there it is. So you know, feel free to stream if you are having issues with the old school radio dial I say that mocking it, and I shouldn't do that because you know, it is my profession, it's what I do. But you know, when you say radio. I think people just like the younger generation John like they did a little radio like. Well, technically, if you're listening, even if you listen to this podcast every day, you listen to the KSR podcast every day, you're still listening to a radio product. It's just you're listening to it on podcast or you're listening to it on stream. And anybody out there trying to tell you that like radio's not a thing anymore, they're liars because there are numbers, there's data that can confirm that that's not the case. And yes, am I biased, of course radio is my livelihood, but I can't. I mean, I've been doing this for with this company going on nine years, it'd be nine years in March. I've worked for iHeartMedia. But I've been in this world of at least having a radio platform in some former fashion for over ten years now, in fact, about twelve thirteen years. And the technological evolution is not really surprising because a lot of things have changed. And again, most people now when they watch TV, when they get out there remote and they power something up, they're not doing it via television. They're doing it via the Internet. So it's really not all that surprising. But just in my time in like in radio at this company, like things have changed substantially. Let me give you an example. When we used to be partners with lear Field. The first time that they signed on that I worked here. As far as our arrangement to where we were carrying their games, they didn't want to include it streaming. They just they you know, they didn't think, you know that they didn't believe that that property. I guess the stream was and I shouldn't get into the specifics with you know, believe or not. I was not involve those conversations about that that deal, but like they didn't realize. I think that if you don't include that, then like you're gonna like miss out a lot a lot of people. If they're gonna listen, they're gonna have to stream it because they are not within signal to actually pick it up. If you're on HAS, it's a different world because HAS is one of the strongest signals you'll see in radio anywhere, and I mean anywhere in the planet. And seven ninety I mean, let's not sell this station short. This is the strongest signal you will find in this state for a sports only station, and it's really not even close. Our only competition I think in that regard sports or not would be ten eighty, which is no longer a sports So you know, when I listen when I'm in my car, I'm listening on the old school radio. Like you know, I call it old school. Doesn't seem old school, but I know to some it is. But regardless of how you're listening, we appreciate it. Live podcast, whatever it may be. You know, the drill three to six every weekday, Monday through Friday, right here on Sports Talk seven ninety, also available on the out Radio app and at seven ninety Louisville dot com. It is Coffee and Company, and we are fueled by Thornton's I'm also fueled by a fresh cup of coffee. I may be a coffee guy now, John, because that gave me the perfect boost.
Speaker 3: You should be a coffee guy. I mean, it would fit very well with the brand. What's your last name? I should say?
Speaker 2: You know, my dad used to own a coffee shop. Did you know that.
Speaker 3: I think you've mentioned that once or twice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And I'm not sure if he decided to leave that industry for this reason alone, but if he did, I would get it, but the amount of people who would be like, wait a second, your last name's coffee and you own a coffee shop. Yeah, so you know, but somebody this is I'm going to nerd out really quickly here because I'm trying to find a piece of sound that I would be willing to bet the vast majority of people listening or would not be familiar with it. But there was somebody at one point who called in the text line years ago and just left a really creepy message. Because you used to be able to call the text line. I disabled that long ago because people would just call the number, and if people are calling, I wouldn't be able to read it because it would just show on the screen that a call's coming through. So I disabled calling. You could call and leave a voicemail and text line. And somebody at one point called in and left a really really creepy message that just said my name and it you know, let me play it for you really quick. This is the voice of somebody that I think, like, if I ever end up dead or I go missing track, whose voice this is? Because it might be the person who took me out coffee.
Speaker 4: Coffee? Where are you coffe.
Speaker 2: I mean, does that sound like a serial killer?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I mean.
Speaker 2: So because I started talking about John preparing me a nice cup of coffee today, somebody reminded me, hey, play that creepy coffee guy who called in.
Speaker 3: I think we need it on the soundboard.
Speaker 4: Cof coffee, where are you cough off me?
Speaker 2: I think that came in whenever we were trying to get on the air one time at a remote we were having technical difficulties, which you know, in all honesty, we rarely have on the I mean like we rarely have issues as far as connectivity. It happens, It happens to anybody. But like we've had a good run here. Now we're having some transmitter issues, which really is totally out of our I mean totally out of our control. In fact, it's out of the people's control who work here. It's a tower thing. So anyways, we were having trouble getting on the air. I think it might have been in a golf course one time, and I ended up having to like call in and do the show via phone. And while while this psychopath was impatiently waiting for the show to start.
Speaker 4: This coffee coffee where are you cough off me?
Speaker 2: It's pretty creepy, is it not?
Speaker 3: It's very creepy.
Speaker 2: I hope that person still listening. Actually, maybe I shouldn't hope that. Maybe hopefully they've found somebody else to potentially, you know, chop up into little.
Speaker 3: Pieces of not far from Halloween and there's people putting up Halloween decorations like out the ass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you seen like something this made the news? And the last time I questioned, something that made local news ended up becoming a national story. You see, the porch pooper made TMZ. No, yeah, mat porch poopers made TMZ. But that came up last week and I'm like, why is that on the news, Like, yeah, it's not normal that somebody went and took a dump on somebody's porch, but like that's local news. Sure enough, whoever was the reporter that that found the story worthy, they knew something, because again it's now on tmz. Is this porch pooper just he's he's got it out for this one house. You know, you can set traps, you can have your your you put your kiddy litter out, like the guy who lives there said he did. That guy's gonna find a way to come and take a dump on your porch and not be caught. He's done it. He's done a pretty good job at it. Well, well, now I see that there's a story in the local news. It might have been on WDRB about somebody put up all their Halloween decorations and like the neighborhood's mad at them, Like come on, I mean, Halloween's still a ways away. We got two months roughly, but like, I mean, what's wrong with that.
Speaker 3: There's a street in Mount Washington. I don't know that it's part of any specific neighborhood, but their front yard they have like a big black gate and they have like humanoid looking pumpkin figures that tower over the entire yard, and it is one of the most I guess to be I guess it's a pun haunting things you can ever see. But if you're ever out in Mount Washington, or if you live out there, you probably know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: I'm getting bombarded by texts about is the transmitter going on about our sound problem, which if people could hear the station, they could hear me saying that I'm aware, But again, like it's I don't know, it's been a long time since I've been in this position. It has been a while, meaning where we're aware. The people who listen don't know that we're aware, and they're just trying to help because they just want us to know. But like we know, it's just you know, it's out of our control right now.
Speaker 3: I think the last time it happened really bad, you told me to say a bad word on the radio, You're like, say a cuss word.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we weren't even on the air where we might have been. We were only on street. No, that's what it was we were. I forgot about that. We were only on stream, which on stream you could say whatever you want. Yes, because they don't have any control us exactly, which I'm not, like I'm not really sure that, Like I'm not sure the FCC you don't want to risk it, but like I know a lot of people who don't really follow that. In fact, there's like if you ever really when we do those trainings that take place, the FCC training that we have to do like every six months or whatnot. Yeah, I have no problem admitting it, Like I just roll through it, like I don't you know, I mean, I'm yeah, I know what I can and can't do. And if I have a question, if if I'm on the fan, I tend to just not do it because I don't want to. I'm not somebody that has the leverage of others, right, Like I can't just you know, commit a big FCC violation and just assume that they're gonna not cut bait with me. There's a couple of others around here that could probably get away with that, not me, And if so, I wouldn't ever want to risk it anyway. But there's certain things you can't do when it comes to like like helping your friends out, if that makes sense, Like it's not it's not like I shouldn't say legal because I'm not sure you're not gonna go to jail. You're not breaking a law. But when it comes to like FCC like things you have to do, Like there's a lot of people who who use the platform to get free stuff, if that makes sense, and like technically you're not supposed to do that, Like but this thing called pola, I'm telling you, man, the FCC is like the NCAA. I think with with like like with streaming becomes becoming such a thing, like people just are like not really worried about because they've never truly been able to monitor it, monitor it the way that like they probably want you to think that they do. And it's always been like a good faith thing, like you better make sure you don't do this. But like before then there was somebody was recording it on a tape. There was no stream, so like people could claim you said this or that, but if there's no proof of it, there's no proof of it, you know what I mean. So it was probably just a honor system kind of thing. And now like people are probably getting away with things they probably we would never because we wouldn't. We're not We're a company that would never do that.
Speaker 3: If you pull, if you ever, if anyone ever pulls like the Bob Huggins interview, like that's the kind of stuff that will get you in trouble. Nowadays, it's because people will people will record that or find it on podcasts.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing that got dumped on the radio did not get dumped on a stream, and somebody, you know, And that's that's another thing that this is. And I'm nerding out too much on radio stuff right now, as I don't even know who can actually hear us because of our transmitter issue. But they're like, you don't want to have an at like right now. iHeart does not give the ability to pause live radio, you know what I'm saying, yeah and go back. Other apps do that, like give you like there's a there's a company that will let you create your own like we have. I mean iHeart as a company created streaming radio, Like that's why iHeart used to be the company used to be called Clear Channel Communications. When iHeart became the app to where we streamed our radio, it just we could clearly tell that that's where things were headed. So we rebranded as a company to become iHeartMedia. So there's other companies out there that have I guess, a similar app, and there's other companies that will let you use their service and you can create your own app for your own station. We don't need that here because we're iHeart. We're under the humongous app that is iHeart Radio. And there are stations that are not iHeart, stations that pay iHeart a lot of money actually for their station to be on iHeart. But having the ability to back it up can only hurt you, Like people can pause it or just rewind it. And I know listeners are like, wait a second, I wanted to get out of my car and go in and hit pause. Well I get it, but like from a cover your own ass standpoint, you should not do that, because you could. You could cover your ass a little bit better if people don't have the ability to back it up and put it out there. But anyways, it's five point fifteen and I don't know who can hear us because of our transmitter issue, But if you're with us, that means you wanted to be with us. You either are listening on stream or you left the traditional radio dial on seven ninety am to find us on streams. So I feel like we are with an exclusive group right now, a special group of listeners that are all in. They're company men like us, John, they are.
Speaker 3: And the podcast listeners who listen, you know, whenever, whatever time of day it may be, they're in their own little world just watching or listening to us react to all this in real time.
Speaker 2: I love the podcast listeners in a major way, and I haven't done a deep dive on it in a while, but I love If I'm ever feeling really insecure as in my career. I'll go pull podcast numbers and be like, can you believe there's thirteen hundred people last week in the state of Georgia that down loaded this show And I'm making up a number, making up a place. But like, you know, that makes me feel good because you never know, you know, in radio, you really don't know how many are listening in real time because you can gauge live listenership be extreme. You can't gauge live listenership be the you know, radio dial. But podcast listeners always kind of feel like they don't get the fair you know, like they don't get the music. You know, they don't get it live, but they choose to be podcast listeners. Some of them you know, wouldn't have the ability to listen live. But just know, like you didn't get interrupted, like the live listeners. Podcast guys like and girls like you weren't interrupted. You got you got the whole thing here Johnson recording this thing from the beginning, never never need, never needing a transmitter right.
Speaker 3: Fun fact, today is the first time in a long time.
Speaker 2: Don't you tell me you're not recording.
Speaker 3: I'm recording. I'm recording the show. But you're gonna say No, that would have been terrible. That would have been very terrible timing. Yes, but I forgot to record at the beginning, so the first maybe ninety seconds are not on the recording.
Speaker 2: But it'll be there eventually, right, Like, we can pull it as long.
Speaker 3: As I mean, unless the transmitter was not working.
Speaker 2: But you can pick streaming though when you go to the actually you probably they're probably what's what's the last time you pulled the podcast from the way that laylight teach you because you've mastered a way to do it without right very long time, so you can you can pick streaming, yes, as the pool so if you know, and I don't think we had that issue earlier, we would have known, but you know, anyways, hopefully, hopefully they get it fixed. I've been sent a text from our boss that says they're working on it, So you know what that means. They're working on it.
Speaker 3: That means somebody's up there. They climb the tower, they've got their hammer, they've got their tool box, whatever it may be, and they're going to try to knock that thing back into place. Whatever the heck. That looks like.
Speaker 2: I'm already having like scary thoughts about like I'm not going to say it on the air.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what you're gonna say.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you during the break, and then you, because you are the more mature, responsible person who is ten years younger than me, you'll decide if it's something I should say on the air.
Speaker 3: It's up to me.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, well, no, I won't. I won't put it in your hands because that was all my thoughts. Yeah, it'll make the final decision because like, well, it'll just be a conversation Breas, because it's something you and I both would probably get a laugh out of, but it wouldn't benefit a single person if we said it on the.
Speaker 3: Show, So I think earlier wanting to go down, we'll save that.
Speaker 2: But anyways, tonight is the debut of the twenty twenty four NFL season, and that has me excited the Ravens and the Chiefs some I'm obviously all in on the Ravens, but just for Lamar Jackson, I started the show kind of letting you guys know that I've had to I've had to just accept the fact that, like I'm sensitive not to Lamar criticism because that's never going to change. And I've known that, and I think Louisville fans at times when it comes to Lamar criticism have been overly sensitive. I understand why, but it's okay to say Lamar had a bad game or Lamar made a bad decision, Like I have no problem It's worked out for him. I still think that, no doubt about it. He did not help himself by never having an agent again, That's just my honest opinion. Clearly, he's got a great contract now and he's doing well. But like Lamar, criticism's fine. But what I think as a Lamar fanatic, a guy who I remember interviewing Lamar when he got to Louisville, I remember interviewing Lamar Jackson right after he played against Auburn in his first game, and to see what he's done now in his career, like I mean, it's something special, like to be able to say that I was able to, you know, and I'm one of many, but like to see his career at Louisville play out the way that he did and him have this. I've not obviously covered his NFL career up close and personal in Baltimore, although if you remember, they brought Rick coffee on the aras in Baltimore one time, talk about Lamar, remember that John Yeah, Rick Coffee was brought into to be the guy to give you some analysis on Lamar's college career. But nonetheless, like the desperation that I feel like that I have at times for people giving Lamar his proper due, Like that's just foolish of me to think that's ever gonna happen, because Lamar as a as a as an athlete has accomplished so much that he's in the tier that no matter what, he's gonna be criticized. He's going to be even if he played perfect tonight and they lost, there'll be somebody with a platform much bigger than the one I have that is going to be yappin' about Lamar not being able to win the big one, Lamar not being able to get past Patrick Mahomes and it be because of his leadership or something like that, and I just you know, I just got I just got to accept that. I mean, but I've never been a fan in this way because with Lamar it's different. Like I'm not a Ravens fan.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, in fact, I used to hate the Ravens and now I just root for them because I know that if they want it looks good on Lamar, especially if he had a big role in it. So you know, it's just this is the first time for me as far as just being all in for the success of a team. But it's only due to one guy. But yet he's got two MVP trophies. He lost last year in the playoffs to Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs, who, by the way, I think everybody's going to lose two in the playoffs the next I mean, like, clearly the Bengals got past them and made to the Super Bowl. And it's not to say they're invincible and they can't be beaten, but it's not easy to do. And you I mean, I just would hate for Lamar to continue to play elite football, have really good regular seasons, put the Ravens in a great position to have, you know, even home field advantage in the playoffs like they had last year, only for their window to win big clothes and there not be that monumental moment of even making a super Bowl because Mahomes and the Chiefs were in the way. I can totally see that happening, and I hate that. But there's nothing you can do about it, and it won't change how great Lamar is. It won't change how people should view him as a player. But when it comes to down the line, how you're viewed your legacy, especially at this level, Like there's a lot of really good players that have never won a Super Bowl that people would reflect on their NFL career and say, man, that guy was good, he was special. Love that guy was he was elite. But with Lamar, you've got the individual accomplishments, you've generated buzz, You've been voted by your peers at one point as the best player in the league. So with all that said, the only thing for people to add to that is a super Bowl and it may not come. And if it doesn't, when people and I fear that when people do bring him up, there'll be many that still just cling to the fact that he didn't win a super Bowl. And again, he's young, He's not I mean, he's not young young, but he's I mean, I think the window for Lamar is still still there's a long time. In fact, who knows, maybe if the Ravens their window closes because of other areas when it comes to personnel, maybe you know he ends up elsewhere and has success, who knows, but I want it so bad for him tonight. But again, like I have to just accept the fact that even if he does win big tonight, there'll be people, because of just how this works, that will claim, yeat, this doesn't matter this first game of the season. Just wait until they see the Chiefs in the playoffs, and that won't even be That's not even a crazy take. It's just like, it's how this is. But I'm you know, I used to tell people all the time, don't be so defensive of Lamar. He's always going to have people that want to say they were right about him not being able to be a quarterback in the NFL. But it's not that anymore. That's what I really tried to expand on in the first segment today. Anybody claiming that they were right about Lamar not being able to be a quarterback in the NFL, if they're still claiming that, they're a certified dumbass. But they'll probably they're probably the same people that want to discredit the accomplishments that he's had. And I just, you know, I would hate for him to never get that. I would hate for him to never be able to silence them and put them in their place. But again, what I've got to accept is that he's reached a level to where there's always going to be critics. There's always going to be people that want to downplay what he did, not because they're just out to get lamar, but because that's how this works at the highest level of professional sports. No matter if if you're claimed the goat, there's gonna be somebody positioned on a roundtable show on the Four Letter Network that their job is to downplay the person who's claiming that that that that is the goati. Quick break, we'll come back on the other side. It's Coffee and Company. Feel about thorns right here on Sports Talk seven ninety Coffee, I played the wrong line, or but it's okay, let's just play that again. That this is going to be the rejoin moving forward.
Speaker 4: Coffee, Coffee, where are you off?
Speaker 2: I'm here, I'm here. But we may have a transmitter issue that is causing some difficulties for you to listen to us in crystal clear quality like you are accustomed to, due to again, issues outside our control. They say a transmitter is an issue and phone lines have been lit, which I assume as people probably letting us know that this is going on, and we're aware, we're working on it, and I know we're going to get it fixed soon, so bear with us. If you can hear this at all and you want to listen, you can listen live on the iHeartRadio app as well as seven ninety Louisville dot com And from what I can tell, you'll be able to hear in you know, without an issue. It'll sound, it'll sound crystal clear, that digital quality that is that is the stream, all right. Not a lot of time left here, real quick. Some news that I think is worth sharing with you guys, especially if you're interested in conference realignment. The Big Twelve has decided to hit pause when it comes to discussions of adding Yukon, which, if you're a Yukon fan, this has to make you feel good, but you're also in a tough spot because Yukon being added to the Big Twelve but in every sport outside of foot football made no sense. But here's the actual reason as to why they would do that, and it makes total sense. Yukon, just like every other school, is about to start having to pay up to twenty three million dollars annually for student athletes. The Big East deal does not give them as much money to do that, so it would clearly be a money move. But then if you're the Big Twelve, why are you gonna add him and everything? So it just doesn't make sense. It sounds like there were some TV partners that told Brett Yormack that they don't see Yukon is a fit that makes a lot of sense right now, and it sounds like a lot of Big Twelve members didn't want to see that move made either. So selfishly as a Yukon fan, like you want to be in the Big East. And I give Yukon a lot of credit. I've always said this. They knew who they were. They understand that their fan base, their constituents, the people who matter, right, customers, basketball matters more than anything. Geno Arima has built a dynasty. I mean I know that that now they're kind of second tier compared to what's been going on with the likes of South Carolina and Don Staley. But make no mistake about it, Gino Arima in the run that Yukon women's basketball has had and still currently has, they played in the Final four this year once again, you'll never see it again. It doesn't. It's not first, second, third, probably fourth or maybe even fifth. That comes to mind for folks when you talk about the all time unbelievable dynasties, make no mistake about it. With Geno, Rim has done a Yukon's women's basketball is unbelievable, and you won't find a program in the last what twenty five years. It has more championships now than Yukon and men's basketball, and they've won back to back, so you know, and they didn't know that at this time. But when they decided to say no, this isn't us. We know football matters, we know football is the potential money maker, but we know who we are. We're looking in the mirror and we realize we are really damaging the brand of our university and our athletic department by catering specifically to football. We're gonna leave the American and let football be independent and we're going to go to the Big East because that's where we belong. That is who we are now. They didn't scrap their football program, they just now have them as an independent school and that cannot be sustainable from a financial standpoint now, I mean, I mean, it just can't be. So I give them a lot of credit when they did that because they understood, like, hey, we're not We understand football matters, but we're not a football school. We never will be, and we have the best chance of succeeding in all these other sports if we get back to our roots and we become a Big East program once again, which is what they've done and it has worked sore now. But now money is is you know, before this new settlement with the with the you know, the lawsuit essentially where the n DOUAA is going to have to pay back a bunch of money and these universities are now going to have to pay you are going to be allowed to pay up the twenty three million annually for student athletes. Like you got to do everything you can to make sure you got as much money coming in as possible, and if a potential move to another conference is what gives you more money, that's what you're gonna do. Now, it doesn't sound like it was Yukon's called Yukon realized. I mean Yukon, well, I think wanted to go to the Big twelve. However, they told them you are not even close to being able to get join this conference with football when it comes to your infrastructure, But in basketball, I'm sure they would have loved to have had them. So there was some talk about Yukon bailing on the Big East to go to the Big Twelve. It sounds like that's been shot down, which again I think is you know, it's probably got to make Yukon fans happy for the time being. But don't be shocked if you see your league try to if you see your school try to get to one of the other leagues at some point, because again, you're gonna need a bigger revenue share from your annual media rights than what the Big East gives you just for basketball. Speaking of all that, when it comes to the money that schools are gonna be and I got to figure out the best way to describe this, because schools are not going to be required to pay a dime, but if you want to compete at the highest level of college athletics, you're going to have to be pro paying players, meaning you're going to pay up to the twenty three million that you're allowed to pay, because that's the way it's going to be set up is that you're not required to, but you can pay up to twenty three million per year for ten years, meaning you know, twenty three million annually for a total of ten years. And the reality is this, there's a lot of schools that simply cannot do that right Like, they don't have It's not realistic, it's not possible. So this actually could be where you see the highest level of college athletics distance itself officially and become professional sports, just in a different way, and then the lower level just becomes I guess what you call. I mean, it's not really going to be amateurism because you're still gonna be able to make money. But I'm reading here from a great write up by Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports, who joins us on the show from time to time. The headline here says is college athletics pairs for revenue sharing fallout leaders wonder is a breakaway from the NCAA next, And I mean I think it is. Again reading here directly from cbssports dot com, it says the big breakaway now seems to be right around the corner. It's been hinted at, speculated and discussed for years. A growing possibility of some combination of the power conferences detaching themselves from the current INSTAA structure. The concept has never been more likely. On Thursday ninth, District Judge Claudia Wilkin is expected to give preliminary approval to the House be NCAA settlement. Among the conditions is a trench of revenue sharing money that will change college athletics significantly in this already dizzying age. So it says here schools will be given the option of funding up to twenty two percent of their annual revenue, an average of about twenty three million dollars per school that's going to be set aside annually for athletes for the next ten years, beginning next year. So you know technically what this says. It's true pay for play with conditions. So if the separate again reading directly from Dennis Dodd's piece at CBS Sports, if the separation of FBS is eminent, the mechanisms are definitely in place. The power for are already likely to form their own governance structure within the nc DOUBLEA. How far that authority goes is up for debates. So again, there are now people behind the scenes within these universities that are not power for, or maybe they are power for, but not the power to that are just kind of you know, making it. They're saying it, they're saying it out loud. We can't do this. We do not have financial means to compete, Like we can maybe do ten million. But if we're doing ten million in the highest of our of our league is doing you know, more than double that, what are we even doing trying to compete? Because again, money is gonna matter more than it's ever mattered. I mean, clearly there's gonna be enough money that is sh between SEC and Big twelve. I'm sorry, in Big ten schools to where they'll be able to make this work. But the others, you know, I think the successful schools in the Big twelve and the ACC that do just generate a lot of revenue because they have a big fan base that is, you know, that'll pay big donations for season tickets. Companies will will will donate money to their athletic fund like the Cardinal Fund or the k Fund, you know, And to be fair around here, we're in that boat. I mean, I think Josh Hurd was being very honest whenever he said they don't just have twenty millions sitting around for you know, when this starts, but they'll you know, and I'm not trying to paraphrase here for him, but like he was pretty clear whenever this news broke and it looked as if this was the way things were going to go, that like, yeah, that's twenty million. They're gonna have to figure out where it's going to come from. But you know, they have the ability to do that more so than a lot of other schools will have the ability to do so. And you're just gonna have to make that decision like do you want to live in delusional fairy tale land where you think you are going to be able to compete at the high level, or do you want to just acknowledge out we're not one of the big boys. What makes it unfortunate is that football clearly matters more than anything. We've all known that. But this is another thing that could really damage something we love around here, and that's college basketball, because what happens with your football, I mean, your football program's got to drive the ship.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: If football is not there to bring in money, you don't have a big bank role. I mean, you just don't. Now you'd also don't have the expenses of what it costs to run a football program, but I just I wouldn't. I mean, we've been saying this for a long long time. There's going to be a breakoff. There's going to be a separation between the highest level of college sports to where it's basically going to be the NFL the NBA minor league essentially. And now I mean it's here, and I mean, again not technically, but you've got guys that are clearly getting paid to play. Guys can go wherever they want. Free agency is clearly a thing with the portal. And then once the schools are gonna be you know, once it's out there that they're allowed to pay that much money. If you're in the business of wanting to compete at the high level and you're branding your athletic department as one that wants to compete with the highest in your in your industry, you're gonna have to have that money available to pay student athletes. And I don't care what you're doing, Having twenty plus million just around every year is not easy to do. For some, it will be easy, right like Ohio State, they're the first school that I've seen that's come out from the athletic director and made it quite clear. They're they're gonna they're gonna max out right, They're gonna do They're gonna pay the maximum amount that they're allowed to. So I don't think we have as much to worry about around here, because I think schools like Louisville, Kentucky, they'll be able to make it work. They'll be able to figure it out. But the you know a lot of other schools won't. And what that makes college athletics look like in a few years is a big question mark. All right, what I want to do coming up here as we wrap up the show. On the other side, I've got some picks I want to share with you for tonight's game, the NFL game, of course, Ravens Chiefs. I got some props I want to throw out there just to just to you know, try to speak them in new existence. I'm not going to pressure you guys to you know, do exactly what I'm doing, but you know, if there's more of us that are that are you know, all in, maybe that could you know, kind of speaking in new existence a little bit, all right, real quick though, let me talk about my friends once again at Jefferson Animal Hospital. Did you guys know that your dog or cat can donate blood just like you and I can. I'm telling you the truth. It's the truth. If your dog is over fifty pounds or your cat is at least ten pounds, they may qualify to be a pet blood donor, where every donation can save up to four to six lives. Plus, there's all kinds of benefits that come with this meaning when your pet is a blood donor, including regular examinations, blood work, vaccines, all at Jefferson Animal Hospital on outer lips. So for more information on how your dog or cat can become a pet blood donor called five h two nine hundred pets or visit pet bloodbank dot com. Again. Think about that, folks, These pets can give blood just like us and it helps to save up to four to six lives. What would you not? What would you not do this? Especially? I assume if you're somebody that is a pet owner, you got a dog or a cat, you know, get the blood work done. Again, the benefits are not just helping to save lives. You're also going to get examinations, vaccines, blood work done at a fine place like Jefferson Animal Hospital. So again the numbers five O two nine hundred pets or visit pet bloodbank dot com. Quick break. We'll come back and wrap it up on the other side right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. What's it better way to come back from break? That or this?
Speaker 4: Coffe coffee? Where are you off?
Speaker 2: I'm going with the ladder. I think that I'm with you all right, So very little time left, but tonight on Underdog Fantasy, here's what I'm doing as far as my picks in this matchup. And if you want to sign up for Underdog Fantasy and use the promo code Nick seven to ninety, you can take advantage of a great opportunity, a great, great offer that they've got come in your way. But here's what you've got to do. These are individual picks as far as player accomplishments throughout the game. You have to pick at least one on each side. So for me, what I'm doing tonight, I'm going to go over fifty and a half rushing yards for Lamar Jackson. I think he realizes that despite being able to prove that this point which he has that he's a good quarterback in the pocket, can make the throws. He's got a weapon with his legs. And I think him losing some weight this year. He talked about it once. He was asked why he lost weight, and he said he felt slower the last couple of years, so he's he's shed it a little bit of weight. Obviously that could be concerning for some as far as his health and whatnot. But I think tonight he's going to get old fifty yards. Therefore, I took the higher than fifty and a half, and as far as the Chiefs players, because again you got to take some at least one person from each side, I'm going to go. I'm gonna go with lower than sixty and a half rushing yards for Isaiah Pacheco. So there's two picks right there. I'm going to add another one because I also think that Zay Flowers will end up having higher than four and a half receptions. So those are two picks right here. And I can now let's just say I put you know, let's say I put ten bucks on that, that's going to give me a payout of twenty seven thirty. I could put twenty on it, and obviously that goes up to you know where I'm getting fifty four to sixty, so Underdog Fantasy. The promo code if you want to sign up right now is Nick seven ninety and I think you'll be happy that you did. It's a lot, you know, to me, it's a different element when it comes to the you know, wagering on sports during games. Obviously this is not betting on a game itself as far as point spread, but it's really doing the player totals and whatnot, high or lower, and it's a lot of fun. So again, check it out. We'll be back tomorrow and I would have hoped by then, and I imagine by then we'll have our transmitter issues fixed. So thank you guys for being patient with us. Thanks to everybody who let us know we appreciate it, and we'll be back tomorrow right here on Sports Talk seven ninety