Speaker 1: I've been asked to come up here, get you both out at the closet.
Speaker 2: Man, this is some crazy shit.
Speaker 3: Why won't you both just come out of closet?
Speaker 1: And he said, we're not coming out the closet.
Speaker 2: You can just go away, but everyone wants you out the closet.
Speaker 3: That doesn't matter because we're gonna stay.
Speaker 2: Now. I'm starting to get angry, so I pull out my gun kick. Welcome to going down to South, part of the podcast where we always have ourselves of time, and also the show where we can never come out of the closet. I'm Downdo and.
Speaker 1: I'm going I thought you're gonna say, this is the podcast where we.
Speaker 2: Was pulling a gun kap a bitch.
Speaker 1: I'm always stepping on favorite moment here. But we'll get to that when we get to that. But yes, a lot to discuss when it comes to Trapped in the Closet, A lot going on on screen, a lot going on behind the scenes. Yeah, it was almost too much, you know. I sort of opened wiki pages and various other things concerning what surrounded Trapped in the Closet, and I was like, that's.
Speaker 2: Too much to it. Stuff. Well, first of all, I think it's one of the probably the most controversial episode of South Part besides the Muhammed ones. I think they're the ones that will always be the peak, right, but this one here you look at what it was controversial for and looking at it through a twenty twenty six lens, I'm watching this going, this all just seems ludicrous, ridiculous. You know, the idea of a TV network being held ransom. You cannot broadcast this show and people going, but I really want to watch it, just in the world where it feels like everything is accessible, you can find it somewhere. Twitter's probably the home for that kind of stuff. So if there's footage that's sort of banned or what, have just gone on Twitter and type it in and you'll find it right.
Speaker 1: Or Twitter would just show it to you whether you want to see it or not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, but you watch it and it's going you. Cruise has denied it, but it's a Cruise is saying that, you know, he won't do the mission impossible three press tour unless you don't add this again. And Hayes left the show apparently because they were taking down saying scientology and as all that's been bunked and I was just reading, going, I'm sure in the moment this seemed like such big news, but you watched it, as I said, through twenty twenty six eyes and you're going, man, we've changed a lot when it realized to media and access to things and just what is deemed controversial now.
Speaker 1: Well, what I was thinking about is that you've got the two sort of heavy hitters of celebrity, heavy hitters of scientology at this day.
Speaker 2: At the time. Yeah, yeah, Travolta and Cruise. But that's what I one to I want to before you go. One is that I was old enough to remember it being controversial, but not really aware of what the whole controversially stemmed from it. And you were obviously someone who's reviewing TV movies. Can you tap me back? What was it like when this came out? Was it a huge deal? Somewhat?
Speaker 1: But then it also felt a bit ginned up as well. I mean I think anyone with you know, half a lick of common sense would kind of go, well, scientology is kind of a scam, right, I mean, it had been around forever, well not forever, but it's certainly been around long enough that you either were like oh, yeah, this is that weird fringe pseudo religion or oh this is that cult slash scam that managed to you know, draw in a few big names and sort of use them as magnets to get to you know, the rest of the the rest of the plebs in.
Speaker 2: Were Cruise and Travoltry the first big names or was it just they were the big names of that time.
Speaker 1: As far as I can tell. Yeah, I mean, I think when you thought about Scientology, apart from yeah, Tom Cruise and John Travoldi, you generally thought, oh, yeah, oh there's a couple.
Speaker 2: Of So John de Volta was widely recognized as one of the first major celebrities to openly join Scientology, becoming a member in nineteen seventy five. Yeah, I think it was part of from the get go, oh so he's always been okay, they are they scientologists is what they called. That's what they called. Okay, Yeah, so he's always been a scientologist.
Speaker 1: And then yeah, yeah, I mean and there was always sort of reports like, oh, you know, he couldn't be in that movie because the scientologists didn't want him to be part of it.
Speaker 2: You know, Christopher Reeve wasn't earlier done. I think you've had people who were before. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sort of took off, but you've got real diehards, like like the Vaulter and especially Cruise.
Speaker 2: The Cruise was in essence of the late eighties. Yeah. Oh, I remember reading I thought it was just they joined at that time. I'd been in it for decades.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember reading some article.
Speaker 1: I think it was about the making of the movie Far and Away, the moment Nicole Kidman there was, you know, I think about the making of it, and apparently Cruise was on the set and sort of talking about, Hey, scientology is really good, and he was sort of I don't think he was putting up like a stall and saying, come to me to learn a bit more about scientology. There'll be two hundred and forty dollars.
Speaker 2: But is that the actual amount? But it's funny.
Speaker 1: It's fun say, but I distinctly remember a line in it from Ron Howd, who directed Far and Away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a bad call it Home and Away, saying what I'm thinking of as well, flyway home. That was the.
Speaker 1: We're row who seemed like a very sort of level headed individuals. Look, scientology is up for me. But if it does for people what it does for Tom Cruise, maybe he's got something going for it, because there's one Cruise was like at his apex and yeah, he's like he's he's a genuinely sort of hard worker and all that kind of stuff. So whatever this guy does, he does pretty well. And I get the feeling of scientology is kind of the driver of that. So maybe, but at this at this stage when Trapped in the Closet is released, these two heavy hitters, Travolta and Cruise. First of all, they're taking hits and it's related to scientology. It feels like because Trevalda has made Battlefield Earth, like a few years earlier, and Travalda had that great comeback with Pop Fiction. It was like, we've missed you so much, we love you, and now you're broken out and get Shorty and Phenomenon, which is kind of.
Speaker 2: A complete and Michael and Michael General Staughter is a good movie. He was doing pretty well face off and face Off, of course.
Speaker 1: But then he made Battlefield Earth, which is like, it's my passion project. It's time to bring l Ron Hubbard's science ficient epic to the masses.
Speaker 2: And they'll love it. Wait, so, how generally was a sci fi writer? Oh yeah, he generally was. So he wrote Battleground Earth. He wrote Battlefield Earth.
Speaker 1: I'm going to make it into a big science for you and everyone. This is fucking ridiculous. This is awful, John, what are you doing? And you know, Traval isn't given this really sort of scenery showing a hand up performance and it kind of oh my goad, well against favorite moments, but that kind of really put the brakes on this comeback that he was enjoying. I mean, he's still he's still working consistently, but he's nowhere any of the start that he was postwar fiction. Then also around this time, Cruz is one of the biggest stars in the world, but he's decided to step away from his longtime PR person and sort of I think he either handled the reins over to his sister or he also started handling a lot of his own PR couch. This is jumping on the couch and all this kind of stuff and being a lot more open about the fact that I'm into scientology. Here's what it can do for people. What diage of him sort of talking at conventions all this stuff as getting out and it's maybe one of the first times in twenty something years of a really successful big screen career as a movie star that cruise has taken a hit that he's you know, the hits, there are chinks in the armor. So yeah, I mean it's sort of it's prime time for someone like Parker and Stone to strike and really take a shot at scientology and particularly through the frame of showbiz. Oh yeah, I mean it's pretty interesting in that regard.
Speaker 2: But it was also one of those things where because at the end they pulled the hole, will sue me sueing and it felt like that was Parker on the Stone living vicaracy three stance, right, So at this time, was it a case of you couldn't bad math scient told you because they would suit you for it.
Speaker 1: I think they just had a really big war chest. I mean they had a lot of money and you know, and I think they were pretty leggitious. They would go after you if you went after them.
Speaker 2: But so, you know, it's a lot like it's the Trump like, so you know how they attached Trump, right, And it was a big deal because I can't believe they went there. Was it a big deal that someone on the level of Parker and Stone was openly just criticizing and making fun of scientology and getting away with it essentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think making fun of it absolutely. I think this was around the time I forgot the name of the generalist. I want to say, Mark Ebner. I think he might have written a book or going clear.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. There's so much stuff about scientology around that year. And this isn't going to be a Scientology lesson or anything, no epis.
Speaker 1: It's more I think, but certainly in the early two thousands is when people were like, we're not too sure about this scientology thing. And you've got people who were disenchanted with the quote unquote church coming forward. You've got people who've got family members in there saying I haven't spoken to my son or daughter in ten years because of their relationship to scientology. The church won't let them. And also, you know, just a general ear of air or weirdness. I mean, as I said, it'd been around forever. It's I would say it's necessarily a California thing, but maybe kind of a West Coast thing that there are these fringe movements that sort of pop up about self improvement or self actualization or whatever, and scientology felt like very much that kind of thing. So yeah, in this time, Yeah, I think it was a case that's like we can maybe take a few shots of these people and maybe they deserve it.
Speaker 2: I'm watching this, right, and I'm unbiased. I couldn't care. If you want to follow scientology, if it makes you a better person, and you're pushing it on me, go for it, right, b think of what. I think it's far fetched a story, but if you want to believe it, that's that's your choice. Right. The thing is, I knew nothing about scientology even going into this one. I've done no research. I haven't really I just I'm not interested in scientology. Right. So I'm watching this and they're telling the story of the Lord Xenu Xenu, right, yeah, and they're going on and on on and you're watching this and I'm sort of like half not half asleep. I'm sort of you know, it's late last night, and I'm watching on this is just parking Stone being ridiculous. And also the subtitle and I said, this is what they actually believe, and I went, oh, oh, so I wonder if I can imagine it would have been a lot of people who watched this episode for the first time. He might have been in my boat and actually had heard of scientology, were not known about scientology, And you just have to think that this episode must have been such a hit to the I don't know what's the term for the credibility of scientology, because you watch this going that's what it is, that's your dogma.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, Well they did the same thing with Mormonism, right, yeah, sort of talking about the whole weird setup with Joseph Smith and the golden plates, and like, all right, I wrote, I wrote it all down.
Speaker 2: Ah, I can't all that.
Speaker 1: Sort of stuff that stretches credibility. But then at the same time, you look at the foundations of any major religion, and if I was, if I was to sort of break it down for you, if you'd never heard the story of God and Jesus and all that kind of and the resurrection of the crucifixes, all that kind of stuff, and I told that you was like, heck of a story there.
Speaker 2: You want to be in pictures. But I think a lot of it is you have to clutch at straws in some regard. You have to suspend it if you want to believe, you've got to suspend somewhat of it to actually believe the full story. It's faith, right, That's what faith is. Yeah. Yeah, so you want to overlook it's like it doesn't make sense, but I don't care because the end game is what I want to get to. That's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I know if you ask me, any good religion boils down to a handful of tenets that you live by. We've spoken about this before in terms of like do unto others as you would be done unto live and let live that.
Speaker 2: Kind of stuff. You were mentioned before too, that they've taken down Mormonism and what Scientology is not the first religion I've taken. They've taken it basically every religion but portots at everybody.
Speaker 1: And that's and that leads to the whole clash that I think they had if they did have one with Isaac Hayes, who was a member of the Church of Scientology.
Speaker 2: Because it's one of those things where Chef just feels like such a staple of the show and the show that was different when Chef was sort of no longer on the show as often. I think we're up to nearly the end of season nine now, and I felt like Chef's been a bit of a side character for a good season or two by this point. So it's not like they because they wouldn't have had this episode planned for seasons seasons ago. So Isaac has obviously already taken a backward step from being on the show full time. But the story is that he was so annoyed that they took on Scientology, he asked them not to do it. They did it anyway, that he quit the show. That's what the story was in the beginning, and it feels like Parkeringstone must have believed it at the time, because there was it became a little bitter, and I've read online it was saying stuff like they were saying, Oh, it's all right for him to not care about when we took down this Christianity and all this stuff, but now scientology, now he cares. Sure. Isaac his son has come out since and said that Isaac didn't actually put out the letter or the statement saying that he's going to quit as a result. It was like his assistance or something who were also scientologists.
Speaker 1: Well, you do hear that a lot about celebrities who associated with scientology, they have these handlers or they have tears yeah, or elders of the church or you know, sort of high ranking members of the church who will say, yeah, don't take this role or don't be associated with this kind of material or whatever, because you know it'll put it'll hold you in a bad light, and therefore the church in a bad light. Look, I wouldn't put I wouldn't put it past Yeah, anyone to be in that kind of situation.
Speaker 2: I'd love to obviously would have been asked a million times, probably already, but you know, to get Parker and Stone in a room and just go, because I'm sure they haven't got many regrets. You can't live with regrets when you when you're that kind of you, when you have that kind of bravado, you can't really live with regrets. But I wonder if that's one thing they kind of regret to an extent, the way they sever Tiree with Isaac Hayes, and that the Chef capter being killed off, and because Chef was such a big part of what made the show South Park. Certainly absolutely he was the go to guy for the kids and for to end, so bitterly I thought, it's just it's a bit disappointing as a fan.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, and I mean Chef was always sort of like a I won't say the heart of the show, but a voice of reason in a lot of way.
Speaker 2: Was the voice of reason. He's the one the boys went to when they needed help. Everyone else in the South Park was insane. It was almost like he was not the Frank Rhymes, but he was just he was the normal person who had, like he said, the voice of reason. He was able to see things the non biased perspective and give a sensible, clear eyed moral center of the show. Yeah, and you'd love to get funky, of course, yes, and yeah, just so we never know the truth. His son says, the eyes that didn't quit because of that, it's because of health issues. And I think there's the truth somewhere in there, right somewhere in the middle, because I feel like he must have had some sort of health issues or there must have been something going on, because he hasn't been on the show that off. That's right, And the last time they used him in a main way was when he was basically thrown out to the wolves when they were going through the crowd in the whatever it was. I was trying to get to a rock concept.
Speaker 1: It was like, oh, yeah, that's right with the yeah with the hippie jam bands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: In the name of the episode. Yeah, yeah, you're not the one we're talking about it.
Speaker 2: Yes. But also the other thing about this episode, watching it right is now again watching it through twenty twenty six eyes right, I lived through so I found this episode funny because I lived through them. I was old enough. In two thousand and five Donimee Stent was going on. I lived through that era. The idea of Tom Cruise and John de Volta, are they gay? Are they not? We just come out of the closet. That was such a punchline for this episode, to the point where I felt they kind of overdid it, overdid it a bit. Right, But I'm watching this going try and explain this to a twenty to someone who was born fifteen years ago, someone who's like fifteen and twenty years old now, and say yeah, because they're trying, They're trying to say come out, we just come out of the closet. I think the response you would get would be something on the lines of eight who were Tom Cruise and who were John de Voulter because they're huge stars in our eyes. But as we discussed on the movie Guy with Martin and Davis recently, is Tom Cruise a huge star to anyone under the age of twenty or is it just that guy that does stunts in the Mission Impossible movies? Right, John de Volta, who's John Devolter? Very much? He's that guy that my mum watched in that movie Grease. That's that's who he is, right to a lot of young people. The other question would be the other response that they would give you is who cares that they get kills? Yeah, But at that time in two thousand and five, it was like, will you just come out, look, it's just but and it was like, we're making fun of them for you gay? Aren't you gay? It's just a minute? You gay?
Speaker 1: It feels kind of childish, and particularly coming from Parker and Start, who are generally more sort of inclusive and.
Speaker 2: Embracing, it feels petty and childish. Watching it now did it feel But I'm not sure where it would have felt petty and childish to the majority in two thousand and five who are watching it. Hmm, it seems petty in hindsight and childish in hindsight. But did it come across that way when you first watched this episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm trying to recall how I sort of felt about it. I think my response is probably the same. I was like, you're really sort of you're fluming a dead horse a little bit here.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think there had always been rumors about Travolta and to the point where it's like, do we even really care?
Speaker 2: Who cares? Yea and Cruise maybe.
Speaker 1: A little different. Cruise is such an interesting.
Speaker 2: Case, different personality is in my opinion, that's correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And all the stardom that he's got and for everything that he sort of gives us on Cruise, Yeah, Cruiz, he's never really sort of come across the one thing that's I won't say, the one thing that stopped him from me the ultimate leading man because as far as winds and he kind of is the ultimate leading man of Hollywood movies in the last maybe thirty years.
Speaker 2: I reckon, I don't not to me, he's not see I didn't live through the I wasn't old enough in the eighties when he was like eighties, early nineties. I was still a kid. He's he's the mission impossible guy to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I think from the mid eighties onwards and maybe until say the early two thousands, I mean, he was taking on pretty much every genre there was and doing really well and just about all of them. He was working with every top director, proved himself as a really solid dramatic actor, a really good action star, could do comedy. Yeah, there was not a lot he couldn't do. But you never really bought him as like a romantic lead. Anytime he was and his coach are and along the side the most beautiful women in the world and only occasionally sparking with something yeah, it doesn't quite work. And I think that's I think that sort of led to people going, this guy actually like women, or yeah, oh he's married to Nicole Kimman and all that, and oh they're appearing in this really sexy Stanley Kubrick movie together, but really is it working?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So and then when around this time when he does the whole Katie Holmes thing, He's like, oh, I mean I met Katy Holmes and I'm in love and I'm jumping on Overra's cats like you're working awfully hard to convince it about this time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you're in the dude, that's cool.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think anybody's gonna mind too much. And the people who do mind, fuck them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But for me, the reason I said no to your statement that he is the best leading man of the last thirty years, as you said to the early two thousands, that's twenty five years ago. That is true. You've got you're going to go back forty five years. What's what forty five years? What's forty that's note in eighty right, note in eighty one, it's forty five years.
Speaker 1: Ago, which is when he basically starts.
Speaker 2: So maybe of the Chrison really become a star until like eighty three, eighty four. Okay, that's risky business times, yeah, okay, but yeah, so I'm just watching this going, wow, this this is how we were weren't we? We? Really? Well? Like this like this was this was comedy. And it's not just South Park, It's Simpson's. There's so many shows we've been doing a Futurama review have to do this and it's called a gay panic joke, but so gay it's just sort of where being gay is the punchline kind of thing which you just wouldn't do anymore, and I think we're better for it. But yeah, again, not that I didn't like this episode as a result, because I was able to go, I'm watching this with two thousand and five eyes. But when we're doing these reviews, you got to watch it from both. You're gotta watch it. Remember, remember when we first watched it, And what's it like watching it now? And I don't think this episode is as funny now because again, a young person who's fifteen twenty watching this episode now, they going blind. I don't think they have any clue what's going on? What's the Kelly? Shit? What what that guy that like is in prison for raping? Shit? Why is he here?
Speaker 1: We're not really that concerned about our Kelly anymore. We've got Diddy to worry about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's just like you're going to wait, why is our Kelly here? Closet in the closet.
Speaker 1: You're really sort of drawn together all these disparate elements, and good on your partner and zone for John Smith and Jane Smith, ye, making it all sort of seeming cohesive. But yeah, this feels very much of its time in a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does. But it's still one of the more iconic episodes of South Park of all time because of what it meant at that time at that time. Absolutely, but is it all that, But it is one of the best, It's I don't think it's one of the best episodes, no, because it doesn't have staying power. I don't think so. No, We've had much funnier episodes that that touch on forever themes, you know, things like racism and that kind of thing that where our immigration where it all. Just to this day, it's like this feels just as rather than now as it does when at first aired. This one here doesn't feel Nah.
Speaker 1: And even with the seemingly evergreen topic of everything in the religion is usually made up and a lot of it is to you know, take money out of your pocket and put it into theirs, and you know, scientology is maybe just a little more blatant about it, or the grift is a little more obvious. But yeah, so for it to not have that kind of staying power that you're talking about, it feels a little bit odd. I mean, look, oh yeah, I've got a few laughs and a few smiles out.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's funny because I was able to watch it going out because I knew what they were going for. But I just think a younger you would have be clueless watching.
Speaker 1: This, and that's that's difficult. I mean, there are times when episodes like that will make it go. I'm kind of interested in this topic, so I might do a bit of research and learn about scientology and that I might find out a bit about all the controversy surrounding this episode, you know, behind the scenes and what it led to sort of you know, legal confrontations and breakdowns and creative relationships, all.
Speaker 2: That kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: But you know, actually just watching it for itself, like, Okay, there's one or two good laughs in here, but.
Speaker 2: You've done better. They're not making this episode though in two thousand and five to go. I need to make sure when two guys and gelong are watching it in twenty twenty six that it still feels culturally relevant. Well, that's their mistake, it is, indeed, But again, they are a show that they do touch on. Foreverythings a touching on, but they do their Their backbone of their show is being culturally significant relevant in the moment doing things that no one else will do in that moment, and I think that's what makes this episode not necessarily the funniest, but it's definitely one of the most culturally significant episodes, sure because of what it tackled at the time attackled it. Yeah, no, I agree with there. Plus also I've found an interest in that for an episode that was so based around manipulation and religion and stealing money and that kind of thing, and Carten's not really doesn't really play a big role in this, And I think that's a deliberate choice because if you put Cartman in the shoes of Stan, it wouldn't make sense that he wouldn't want to try, and you would almost want to take over the church's paology. It has to be someone who feels like the because Stan feels like the most normal, casual viewer, so the casual view of relates to stand the most. I think of all the of all the kids of the of South Park, stands the most normal, safe quotation with normal kid, So for him to be because by the end he's always convinced as well he is like three Doors might think I might do this as well. It just shows how easy these things manipulate people in the door and how he I mean he was swayed to join Scientology by saying you're depressed. He's like, I don't ever know why I'm depressed, but I'm depressed. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think Parker and someone realized, yeah, Scientology is the big bad here needs to be taken that if we put Cartman in a position where it's like, oh, yeah, this is where two evil forces joined forwards to become like the evilest empire of them all, where it's like, no, you know, we need to have a character who will be swayed by it, be seduced by to some degree, but also pushed back against it, and realized, look, if we're talking about a religion here, isn't a religion supposed to provide help, help and solace and all that kind of stuff and not take money out of people's pockets, or at least not take as much money out.
Speaker 2: Of people's pockets.
Speaker 1: I mean, you've got to build those churches somehow.
Speaker 2: I think also, if Cartman's in that role, I think Scientology almost becomes the sympathetic character that's correct, yes, which is not what they were going for. They want.
Speaker 1: They wanted to stick a pin in the inside Ptology, Yeah, and they did.
Speaker 2: This show is brought to you by the four figure discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, Tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Sifould, the One About Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four figure discount. Did you have any favorite moments from the episode?
Speaker 1: I like our parkering Stone will take the mickey out of the forced friendliness of organizations, religions.
Speaker 2: What have you.
Speaker 1: It's like Brian's good Times, good Times.
Speaker 2: Hey, Greg, Hey, it's de Yeah, that's good Greg, And sorry Greg.
Speaker 1: I already alluded to Kelly, so we'll out my gun and just everyone going after it every time just always made me.
Speaker 2: Laugh because we need to mention. Trapped in the Closet is a I didn't realize as a series. It's like a multi part soap opera. Yes, bizarre. Yeah, I've never been a huge Kelly guy, and I believe I can fly because of my limitations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I say that just because I'm a good person.
Speaker 2: He did know he did Ignition, didn't he? Oh yeah, yeah, Ignitions Hot and Fresh out the Kitchen. That was a big song when I was when I was younger, he had one or two. I guess Bangers's. It's the only sort of stain on the space jam aura is that you're watching them.
Speaker 1: Going, I love this song and stuff we can't enjoy.
Speaker 2: I love this song. But I say, like I said before on the podcast, I think I've got friends who say, you've got to skip that part. You can't let him listen to that song. And I was like, if Elliott likes listened to that song, he's allowed to enjoy that song, enjoy the art, not the artist. Yeah. So yeah, So I don't know. I just I'm able to sort of look past I'm like, I like this song, but still Kelly being this episode trapped into closet and had a soap opera series online or something.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing, Chinatown's one of the best American movies ever made. Roe mclansky come to a piece of ship. Yeah, a lot of ways for one particular action.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I also enjoyed because now I'm starting to get this with with Elliott. If he wants this something, this kind of thing, Okay, we'll save your pocket money and buy it and standing going. But that's my money. It's like, ah see, child, exactly. Money doesn't grow on trees.
Speaker 1: And look we've already alluded to just their impression. Volt God, it's so easy to sort of make fun of.
Speaker 2: You forget well on my guid right the Oh my god, Oh my god. It's one of those things where sometimes you forget where it comes from. Everyone just does it, and I think probably like you know, does it actually come from? It? Is it? Is it from Welcome Back Cotter? It's like, oh my god, miss Gator? Was it just sort of takeing the way to get mister? But the way it's said here is the way people do it. They go but that they're not doing a Jount of Volter from Welcome Back Cotter impersonation. They're doing John of Volter and out career. Oh we got And I think I reckon two out of five people that do it don't even know where it comes from, but it just sounds good and it's just become part of who we are and how we.
Speaker 1: Speak to about revolters quickly and feel free.
Speaker 2: To cut this out. Okay, that's there was a thing going around what he did for my mom. I interviewed him face to face.
Speaker 1: One said, like, who you bursting with the charism, right sir. There was a picture going around and it was apparently like from a nineteen eighty issue of Cosmopolitan magazine in the US, where they would have like batterer of the month. It's like doctor Jeffrey Epstein of Manhattan. He only, you know, handles the finances of people who make more than a million dollars a year. If you're a hot Texan gal, you want to meet this guy. Into the picture and there's a picture of nineteen eighties Jeffrey mstyle. And he looked a bit like I use the line tm mootravoltera because he's got that. He had that same kind of very.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got the same sort of Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I'll try and find the picture and it to you. But oh boy, I don't want to be.
Speaker 2: Associated as every episode to talk about somebody like that. We've got r Cali and all this stuff. Mazzle throwed in as well, oh yeah, yes, that's okay.
Speaker 1: Remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people trivia time.
Speaker 2: My first question for you is when Stam was writing his you know, his Bible. Yes, where did he say the brainwash ghosts were from?
Speaker 1: Oh? Was it some kind of it was the cluttering nebula or something that's the planet living on. My first question is at the very start of the episode, they're at Twin Pines Plaza. There's a pizza place at Twin Pines Plaza.
Speaker 2: What is the name of it? And for a bonus point, can you spell it? I'm going to get any of them that.
Speaker 1: It's Marlow's Pizza, but it's spelled m A R L e au like a French version Marloos Pizza.
Speaker 2: There we go. Sounds like you're kind of pizza store. You bet you are. Your Enzo's right, Oh? Absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to show Dan Dough that's young Epstein.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you see that. I can see Tivolter, Yeah, I can see it in there. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Financial Stratege Jeffrey Epstein twenty seven talks only to people who make over him the du year exclamation mark. If you're a cute Texas girl, quote unquote, write this New York Dynamo at.
Speaker 2: Addressed or redacted the Bachelor of the month.
Speaker 1: Holy shit, Jesus Christ. Okay, next question from you. You had to be there, so it really didn't.
Speaker 2: I know. When they do the news report, they say cruise has been in the closet for a certain amount of hours.
Speaker 1: Oh, three hours, four four. Speaking of numbers, how many years has the president of Scientology been waiting for this day?
Speaker 2: I think it's forty two, right, it is forty two, forty two. And my final question is what was the rating of his Thetan level stands?
Speaker 1: He was like an nine nine. Yeah, that other guy was eighty seven. He's remember the church all his lab I got one more question, give me again, numbers. What is the what's the name and number of the helicopter that the President of Scientology arrives in South Park on?
Speaker 2: Oh that's a good question. Didn't get it. What was it? It was the l Ron seven Elron seven. I like it all right. Now it's time for some cheesypoofs. Yeah, I love cheesypoofs. You love cheesypoofs. Weed didn'ty cheesypoofs? Weedy game starting with the incredible katG with her one hundred dollar wed support. Thank you as much Katy g.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, thetans on on Katie her.
Speaker 2: Theton level would be through the roof. Isn't that bad? Is it?
Speaker 1: I think it's bad if you got a lot of things low thing levels. And yes, no thetons on Katie or.
Speaker 2: Any behavior of Forefinger Discount though. That's what I'm trying to say. Correct, She's our l Ron Hubbit, Yeah, Glenn Gomez, Justin Parker, Zach Pruitt, Shanny Macker, Elliot, j O'Neill, is a Bala Murphy, Rach Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Shawn dv Pte Anderson, Timothy Bells and Andrew Davis, Kevin Dental, Planned flood BALLA Window Bank, Jack Mee, Fadden, Heath Apple, be Adria McLoud, Much Eleven Ginger and Pickle, Preston, Murray, to Enriquez, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Logan B James Shepard, Joe Readen's, Dave Pretzel's mcneally, Gavin Lane, Dami Miller, Charlie Joe, Abigail b Sharpkata and Cray Lt Smash Gloucester, ELTI, Smash Elty, smash Man. And remember if you have joined the four Finger Discount family, on Patreon in the recent weeks, you'll get your name right out as a one time only shout out on the upcoming Mailbank episode of four Finger Discount not going down of South Buck Fourfinger Discount. Look out for it there as if you needed any more reason. Indeed, all right, So the original air eddate of this episode, mister Davis was November sixteenth, two thousand and five. Top three films at the US box Office, number three. Zathura a space adventure. I've never seen this any good Jumanji sequel.
Speaker 1: It's not bad, yeah, sort of like a Jamanzi sequel in name only, name only, Yeah, yeah, I remember being okay, kind of fun.
Speaker 2: Kids want to watch it caut on any streaming services. Physical media is like forty dollars a Blu Ray. What do I do here? Do I download it? Or do I downloaded?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry If if the companies an't going to look out for us, then you know piracy is ethical and in such circumstances. Earlier role for Kristen Stewart and directed by John Favreau.
Speaker 2: I believe, yes it is. I think it was.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying this is the thing that got him iron Man, but it's got enough sort of special effects and stuff. And the people for FROA can handle handle super here, I think.
Speaker 2: And number two is derailed, and number one was Chicken Little still at number one two weeks there we go. You Little ever get a sequel Chicken Little.
Speaker 1: I do not believe, so derailed. I think is like a romantic thriller. During Clive Owen and Jennifer Anna.
Speaker 2: Steve Owen, my man, yeah that guy, yeah, yeah, I know you saw in a cafe. Yeah, and you said hello to him and he was like, who are you?
Speaker 1: Why are you talking to He was like, I'm trying to draw my coffee here, man, the hell out of here.
Speaker 2: There was a kicks off though, with the boys that've just come from the comic book store wasting some money by buying some buying some trading cards. Never wasting money when youre buying trading cars. Trading cards is like the big thing again. It's break. It's got breaking packets. You rip it up and packets. People live on eBay. Just rip it up and packets. See and we can get some you know, some some gold. We used to go on gold cards, you know, the special cards. Yes, yeah, yeah, but it's a big thing. Again. Yeah, but Cartman mock stand because Stands says, I'm not going to be buying anything. I'm trying to save money for for a bike.
Speaker 1: Yeah, saving money.
Speaker 2: And he suggests we go play laser tag. Again. Stand says we can't do that, and as Cartman says, the first law of physics everything that's that's fun because at least eight dollars, eight dollars yes, and says, okay, BD, you we're going to do laser tag. You just you, just be you, and Standing comes across. These two people are sitting by a table and okay, not just scientoldists, anybody who I can see in the distance. I'm going, all right, they're going to try and sell stuff for some reason. I must look like a guy that would be a sucker for this, because they always go for me. I now either pretend I'm yelling at the kid, not young because I'm not talking to the kids, and Ali's like, why are you talking to me? Or I get my phone out? Do you try and avoid those people like the plague? I just cannot I cannot stand. I don't want to I don't want to even have to say no to you. I just I'm not interested. Don't engage with me.
Speaker 1: I have reached and I've been wanting to do this for some time. I'm old, and and you hear as you get old, it's like, oh, you read to sage. You don't give a fuck. I still do? You know, I don't know hurt anybody's feelings. I don't want anything bad in me. So you know, if you get all they used to call them a chugger, like a charity hugger.
Speaker 2: They go, Hey, doing today, mate? Doing all right? Yeah, I'm gonna talk to you.
Speaker 1: Just for amended about this. Hey, By the way, I love your shirt. That's really good. I always compla next thing, you know, you've given thirty bucks or something.
Speaker 2: And this happened to me a little while ago.
Speaker 1: I mean, I ended up talking to some kid who was out the front of a supermarket and there was some good cause they are always good causes, don't get me wrong, And for some reason I ended up signing over some money to them, and then looking at the phone, friends like, wait a minute, there's an ongoing subscription.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's like what the hell.
Speaker 1: I had to get on the phone and say, okay, you get this, you get this one donation this month, but you're taking me off this list. Since then, I've been like, you know what, I'm sorry, I just don't care anymore.
Speaker 2: Not that I don't care about the call. I trusted you so Brian, I think Wendy or something the two. But like, hey, they're a personality test and stands like, well, it's fun and it's free. It's a phrase, a phrase. The big selling point he is it's free. How could it possibly do?
Speaker 1: And you might learn something about yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's just find an.
Speaker 1: Empty room here.
Speaker 3: Lots of people getting free test today. Hey, Brian, Hey, Kelly, how's it going great? I want you to meet my new friend Stan.
Speaker 4: Hey there, how are you fine?
Speaker 3: Brian's gonna give you your personality test and then let you know some things about scientology.
Speaker 2: Good times, good times.
Speaker 1: Look, is this a religion because my family is like Catholic or something.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's not a problem at all.
Speaker 1: Scientology is more of an alternative to psychology than a religion. Then how come that science? Says Church of Scientology?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's just this thing. What's the Denver Broncos record? Now?
Speaker 1: Six and two, seven and two?
Speaker 2: Wow, that's great? All right, come on in and take a seat.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have some fun anytime. You know, South Puck has done the wall, but it was usually the case. Oh, Scientology, it's also the church of big names like Cruise and John to I never sort of name check. It's also you know Giovanni Ribisi from Avatar and no General from the Star of Dama and Greek also is she. They're also well known side I like Jenna Elfman. Yeah, they always go for the real A lists yes, takes.
Speaker 2: Him in side stand does his tests and just silly basic questions like do you ever make remarks that you regret? Or do you have a whistle just for the fun of it? And I'm much just going I do that. He then explains to Stand that he's completely miserable and totally depressed, so he's a perfect candidate for Scientology. He just needs that tw hundred and forty dollars in order to begin helping him get that money, get the bag. Scientologist stands having dinner with his family, stands not eating because he's just he's not just depress, he's totally depressed. He doesn't even know why. And he asked for some money, and he mentions that he came across a self help program. I love that Randy was considering. It's like, what did you break something? I found a self help program. You ain't getting my money, kid, And Randy then explains the concept of money doesn't grow on trees, and he says, you can use your money for your bike out of your own savings, but that is my money. It's literally a conversation I've had recently with Alian. You want that cricket ball, you to buy it with your own pocket money. What I had this conversation recently. I feel like the way we tap now it's taken out the the idea of things, cost of the existence of money, even because the other day I said I've got no money to Aliot, I can't buy That've got no money, and now it goes just tap your phone then as if we'll just you know, just tap your phone. Just it's magic. You know your phone's got money on it, hasn't it like the idea. But then he bought his cricket ball with his money that he saved up, and actual cash money, and actual cash money. Every time he cleans the floor, whatever gets a dollar does. He saved up his money, bought his cricket ball and he cherishes this thing because he had to part ways with his money that he earned. And now it's like, now it's don't cut near my ball. You know, it's it's special.
Speaker 1: But you have the teacher gets these things yet of course yea yeah, I mean that's why you know, actual cash money is such a valuable resource.
Speaker 2: It's finite.
Speaker 1: You know, you look at it. What was like, well, I had fifty bucks in before.
Speaker 2: Now I get ten. But I now have the mentality too, because I was a sucker for after pay, right, But I now won't buy anything with after pay. I will only buy something if we've got the money in the bank to buy outright. And if you start buying things outright, you start buying a lot less. All start going I'd really rather have the extra twenty dollars in my bank right now. So you know, I used to walk around going, ah, it's notes eight weeks to pay this stuff. I'll be fine. And after bay after bay, after bay after payin all of a sudden you've got like three grand on after pain You're like, oh, yeah, this actually does cost real money. Yeah, I never.
Speaker 1: I've never reached the three grand level of after pay.
Speaker 2: I was like two seven or I think the most I ever rowed.
Speaker 1: On after pay is something like now twelve hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: Granted this was Christmas time as well, Nicola Crownlely over, So we're buying all the Christmas presents on after pay. But then it gets the end of January and you go, oh shit, oh yeah you remember?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I mean I was looking at it the other day, looking at my after pay account and go, hey, I'm down to like I was three hundred bucks over the next yeah, said eight weeks or whatever, and I was like, okay, and then saw there was something on Amazon's Oh that's marked down.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do it. So I removed the afterpay app from my phone. I was like, just will never will That's fine too. I completely understand it. But so stand here is explaining that, you know he needs the money that he says, use your own money. So he says, you're going to make your decisions. You're odd enough. Now do you want a bike or do you want to not be depressed? Just to stand he's signing up. Michelle explains the history of l Ron Hubbard and how we discover that negative emotions are caused by body thetans, and he invented the E meter in order to determine your feet and level. So he does the test and at first I thought this was all part of employee you know, they did a test and they go, oh my god quick. I thought that's the sort of something that's a scare tactic. But no, it's actually his levels are so high they can't believe it. They come to the conclusion that he must be the reincarnation of keep saying Alt Hubbard, it's of l Ron Hubbard. The levels were O T nine. So the facts of the results to the president at the Hubbard Celebrity Center in La and he says that Hubbard once said that, you know, he lives past lives and that his thetans would show themselves once again. He is our savior. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now I'm not an expert on scientology. I don't know if they have like a lineage thing going on. If I don't think they actually do that. This is more akin to say Buddhism. Okay, the Dalai Lama is sort of like reincarnated over again, and yeah, you'll find some child was like, oh, okay, I was reading about this the other day in some book on Buddhism. How I'll say, find a child, not that find a child. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but if there's a child I think is sort of extraordinarily sensitive to this whole kind of thing, I'll put a bunch of objects down in front of them, you know, like might be a ball, might be a little toy or something like that. But they'll also throw in items that used to belong to the previous diala lama who has now either died or it is too old to do the job. And if the child goes yay, that picks up a pair of eyeglasses and yeah, these are mine, It's like, okay, reincarnation, Okay, you're the next Larmer kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know. Interesting, but how many things that I put on the tables like a one in five chance?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, I don't think scientology actually has the kind of thing where it's like, well, you're the new l Ron Hubbard. I think they've just taken that and ran with it.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of this, though, if you're going to take down scientology and the ridiculousness that it's perceived as by many people, the story that's written by al Ron Hubbard. I don't think you should be making anything up. I don't think they would have made anything up. I mean, obviously the characters are a bit like the president. I'm not sure he is a president based on anyone in particular. I don't think so.
Speaker 1: No, I mean there are sort of high profile scientology personalities. I'm trying to remember who at the top. I think one of his named David Muskavidge or Shelling. They may be his wife.
Speaker 2: I think the whole point should be this is what it actually is. You'd be the judge of whether you think this is ridiculous or not. Because I don't think any Mormon one do they ever come out in actually bad mouth Mormonism or is it just here's what it is.
Speaker 1: I think the hard as they go is the whole dum dum dumb dum.
Speaker 2: Dum dumb dum dumb nut where this one here is they it's actually come out outright and say no, it's literally a scam.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although when they tell the story of like, hey, it's Xena when he imprisoned all these people and then dump their souls in the Hawaiian volcano or something like that, I think you have to have I think underneath saying this is what they actually believe, because it's so far fatial, it's so over the top. Yeah, otherwise you go, what the hell are you talking?
Speaker 2: I thought it was just parking Stone being ridiculous. But the thing is, I'm watching this right and before I read that part, I'm thinking this just sounds like a nineteen seventy sci fi movie. And then I find it what the hell? And you actually look him up al Ron Hubby. The first thing comes under is American author, not like the leader of Scientology is an author? Yeah, and he was just some pulp writer. I mean, you know, they made the Scientology film, what that story? Have they made that into a movie. I don't think so. No. I mean surely that there's bank there somewhere if they made a Netflix made a Scientology series where it was like, this is the you.
Speaker 1: Mean about the story of SCIENTI how Scientology was established, the scientology and mythology.
Speaker 2: The story mythology that she tells in this episode I beout the souls and whatnot.
Speaker 1: I think there's enough. I think Scientology has enough of a bad rap that people would go stop trying to push this propaganda on this. I mean you hear that so many times in Travala had that movie Phenomenon.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that one? Yeah, which I thought was really sweet. What was that song by Could Change?
Speaker 1: I thought it was actually a pretty sweet movie. I thought was really good as well. But you have so many people saying, oh, well, there's a very thinly veiled scientology analogy.
Speaker 2: Likewise, we really okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's another one with Will Smith that I think people are saying, well, you just put pushing scientology on it was even though I don't think Smith is a scientologist. So I think anytime people get an inkling was like, you're trying to push your religion on us.
Speaker 2: Don't do that. Yeah. I think if Netflix or anyone was like.
Speaker 1: Here's the truth, the true story of how scientology was great, that people would go now, sorry not interested.
Speaker 2: Was scientology in the mainstream of much before this episode? Was this the first real hit piece of scientology.
Speaker 1: I don't think it was. I think this was a I think around this time was when people going, so.
Speaker 2: Is this the first time someone came out and like just really took it down in.
Speaker 1: A fictional context. Probably, And I think maybe the most high profile.
Speaker 2: I think south Park given like this point, like south Park was still one of the biggest shows in the world at the sure still is one of the bigger shows in the world. I think them taking it down would do, like I said, in such a hit to their credibility that I think I don't think they've ever really recovered, because I think a whole generation of us grew up with this episode and going, oh well, Parker and Stone Italian, this is ridiculous that we're just going to buy that.
Speaker 1: It almost got nipped in the bud in some way. It felt like Scientology was kind of on the rise throughout the throughout the nineties and early two thousands.
Speaker 2: Was this episode to be part of that?
Speaker 1: Do you think I'd say it was part of a multi pronged sault.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think there are a few documentaries and books and articles of saying but.
Speaker 2: The kids are watching this though, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. But the generation of us grew up watching this going scientology because of this episode. Quite possibly so, so Stan has gone to do his his levels of the facet through to the President. I like it, they said face through to the president, not of the United States. Scientology. It's all within their own bubble stands then told to take out the garbage, and all the scientologists are out the front celebrating. I love He's wonderful. It's wonderful. And the President arrives in his Copton and explains to Stand that he is the reincarnation of al Roon Hubbard, and the parents say, we don't want him to join any cults or anything like that. I know he's not joining. He's going to lead us. And then we get Travolta. Oh my god, is it god?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, it's Judge Travolta.
Speaker 1: Is this where he lives?
Speaker 2: Is this where runob? It is on the gap? It's so fun to say, isn't it. And Randy then sends Stan to bed, my mummy and Daddy deal with these people, but unfortunately he gets through his and who's in there? Tom Cruise.
Speaker 1: He was just so happy to see the new the new version of l Ron.
Speaker 2: I did love stand taking him down, because it feels like Tom Cruise in real life would not be able to handle somebody saying to him, I mean you're okay, We're not as good as DiCaprio or you know they guy played the polling dynamite, which was just south. But is he a gene Hackman, Is he a DiCaprio? Does he have the range of them? Do you think I would say? So? Okay, I don't think Tom Cruise can pull off Titanic. I don't think you can.
Speaker 1: Believe I think he pullft Titanic if he was, if he was the age of DiCaprio at that time. Absolutely it is a better actor than he's given credit for.
Speaker 2: I didn't live through the heart throb era of Cruise is the thing.
Speaker 1: Other people have talked about this certainly, But I mean if you look at young Cruise in say the Risky Business or whatever, in that era, in the whole, in the whole b brad Pack era, so leading up the top gun, you seeadism as he sort of a young man around town and he had kind of not necessarily a bad boy image, but he was kind of like this kind of looks pretty fucking cool and a little dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah there's a picture. Yeah, there's a picture.
Speaker 1: Of him and Rebecca to Mourney from Ricky in the fantastic Black of White photo. And it's like, holy shit, there's the hottest thing I've ever seen in my life. And he's next to Rebecca, to Mornay, who's maybe the hottest woman you've seen in your life. Say, this is like primo eighties big screen sex appeal. I don't think he pushes himself enough now, and hopefully he's going to start doing that. When we did our episode the Movie Guide with Marltin Davis talking about what we're looking forward to this year, one of the things that I talked about was this movie called Digger. It's directed by aleandrou the director of Birdman and The Revenant, and it's got CRUs in the lead and supposedly sort of like actual acting. I mean, it's not I'm jumping off buildings or I'm diving to the bottom of the ocean or something. He's playing a real character in.
Speaker 2: A real movie.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I don't miss disrespect some of the other stuff he's done, because even in like Top Gun, Maverick or you know, he's doing real acting in that that's scene with Kilmer at the end of in the middle of Top Gun, Maverick is like, should these guys are working really well together?
Speaker 2: So is he?
Speaker 1: Daniel day lewis No, but now I would put him on like par would say, DiCaprio.
Speaker 2: Do you think he would be able to handle criticism.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the other thing. I think he's worked so hard to be taken seriously in so many ways.
Speaker 2: Why can't it Why would he not be taken seriously? Why does he have to work seriously? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think if you had someone who said to them, it's like they're not meaning like, oh, Tom Cruise, you suck. It's like, hey, you're pretty good, you're bad as good as this that was like.
Speaker 2: Putting him down. He it's like, you're good, You're okay.
Speaker 1: And also look stands what an eight year old kid is like, Yeah, I like the guy from Napoleon Dynamite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's also not a bad actor. John Heat, John Heater. Yes. But then of course this is where Cruz jumps into the closet and he won't come out, Just to be bluntly obvious, Dad, Tom Cruise won't come out of the closet. And that's again I do think they went a little too hard with it, Like we got the idea is that a cape for your thing? Where it's like in two thousand and five it would have been it would probably would have slay, right, would have been hilarious, wouldn't it initially?
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think it's a cape thing where it's like ray ray, Ray, Ray, stop being funny, Ray, Greg, you're funny again.
Speaker 2: Because they picked the right time to do it too, because as you were saying, this was the couch here, it wasn't on the couch and it was almost like he was, he said, taking his first real proper hits and it was not a punching bag. But it's like, no, no, we can diss on this guy. Oh yeah, It's like that line in The Godfather was like ten years ago and never would have been able to get to him like you can. There's a lot of it. Jealousy too, is it because he just had everything? It happens with everybody. It happens with every step with Pratt I remember recently. Yeah, everyone's like we're sick of Pratt. I mean, I was wondering. I was like, nothing against the guy, but does he have to be in fucking everything Pedro Pascal, sure and everything. Jennifer Lawrence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it happens to Everyone's like we've give us a chance to either take you down a peg and not love you, and then we'll love you. Again like Hudson went away, came back and song some blur and I'm like, I love you again. I love She was fantastic in that movie. I told you, man, she's really good like she.
Speaker 2: Who could she lose to because she could easily win Best Actress for that role.
Speaker 1: As Leonard on Our showed that said the other day, the front runner is this Irish actress named Jesse Buckley. Yeah, in a movie called Hamnet. She's apparently very very good in it. I like Jesse Buckley a lot.
Speaker 2: Straight is own.
Speaker 1: Rose Burn is apparently like the second front runner front runner up. I'm not sure, but for a movie called If I Had Legs, I'd Kick You, which apparently he's really good. We might have underrated rose Burn for very I know I did for a while, and then all of a sudden it's like, holy shit, you're a really good at comedy. Wait a minute, you're a really good at drama too, what the hell?
Speaker 2: So yeah, check out the movie Guy with Malton and Davis by all means yeah, And check out song Sung Blue, which it both down on our really dick and you're gonna be reviewing it in the movie Guys, and you're gonna be doing an Oscar special in the coming weeks as well. We are who you think is going to win. This show is brought to you by the four figure discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Sifould, the One about Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four figure discout. So as we'll say, though, So Cruise is now in the closet and they've got the news report at the front. He's been there for four hours and whatnot. He won't come out the Please try and talk him out, but he won't come out. I did. We haven't got to it yet, but I did love the interaction with Nicole Kipmen, which we'll get to, yes, But first of all, they call in R. Kelly who sings a parody of his song so tratting the class as a song, and I didn't get that. I'm like, why, I couldn't wait on? Why is R Kelly here? I am so lost.
Speaker 1: Also, are we aware of the whole Kelly machagots at this time? I mean, was it common knowledge that I think people knew that he was you know, maybe bring a little bathroom play into the bedroom.
Speaker 2: It's one of those business if you're in the business, you know, but it wasn't publicly and yeah, maybe wood was getting out. It's kind of like yeah, yeah, not good at all. And then it's like, oh no, he's he's a monster. So then the president please can we please have him be a new leader. But this is where he says to stand stand, do you want to hear the great doctrine of the life behind scientology? Sure? Okay, but they make Randy and Sharon leave and they explained it all. It's seventy five million years ago. Basically, there was a federation governed galactic federation governed by Lord Xenu. Xenu. He thought they were like overpopulated, so he froze the aliens, sent them to Earth to be thrown into throw them into the volcanoes. Then when they thought out their souls, tried to escape, but he had sole catching machines, which he they caught them and then made them watch brainwashing programs. It's too bad, and then set them out to sent them out to the world, and they went to people, and that's why people are depressed.
Speaker 1: It's too bad that the camera is actually the batteries ran out just as Daniel was explaining this, because you couldn't see the look in his eyes as he was trying to explain this. It was increasingly desperately, and then volcanoes and then their spirits went.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, oh God, it's just yes. Anyway, if you want to believe it, believe it. But yeah, man, it causes the fear, confusion, the problems that we lived to this day, and they are Stan. Can you pick up where al Ron Hubbard lived? I took left from. So then Hubbard said that he you know, he said, he closed his eyes and he'd write down whatever came to his mind. So meanwhile, though, they sending Nicole Kidman to talk to Cruz. I love this there, Nicole.
Speaker 4: Tom, It's Nicole, Nicole Tom. Don't you think this has gone on long enough? It's time for you to come out of the closet.
Speaker 2: I'm not in the closet.
Speaker 4: Yes you are, Tom, and you need to just end this and come out. I'm not going to think any differently of you. Kate is not going to think any differently of you. You don't need to be in that closet anymore.
Speaker 2: Tom, I'm not in here at all.
Speaker 4: Yes you are, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not in a closet. Then Stan starts writing his stories down. The boys are going to the movies. They invite him, but he says he's not going to be coming case he's writing his stories down. They say they wuld be concerned about him because of this cult that is joining, and he immediately gets defensive, which is what many religious people do, exactly what someone on a cult would say. It's not even religious anything that you believe in. It's like, you realize this is not really what you think it is. It's like, no, no, it is. You get real defensive about it. Kyle explains to him, you realize that Hubbard was just a guy lives on a boat with young boys, and he was busted by the FEDS as a result. Stand says, no, you don't know the secret truth that you know. You can only know by being part of the part of the faith of several years. And he was depressed. But now we have found meaning, so they all leave. The boys leave for Cartman says, don't worry, I still hate Kyle more than you do. We come back from commercial Natural Volta, just trying to talk Cruise out of the closet, but unfortunately he goes in and and he does not want to come out because he isn't here see goat then the news now saying now John de Volter was also in the closet. Kelley sings he song again, then threatens to kill a woman unless they come out. The president of Scientology is a fan of Stand's new writing. However, he has these new rules, and one of the new rules is that we will no longer be charging people to join the church, and he can't take this. He can't sanction such affoonery because as stances to really be a church, we can't charge people for their help for our helm and explains that this whole thing is just a global scam and then says, if you do this with me, we can both make three million dollars. As a resultant Stand gets sucked. Anyone I get you now then it's for a news report, and they explain that they still won't come out of the closet. So they send in Kelly to get them out. They start singing back to him that we're not going to come out of yes, and then he pulls out his gun. They open the door and he goes in and he likes it too. Reassume yeah Yes. Then then as it introduces Stan to promote his new doctrine before they release it for a small norminal fee to the casual scientologists out there. But Stan can't go through. He can't go through with it. You know, he's got the gear on, he's dressed up, and he says, we all want to know where we come from. We all want you know, the reason as to why we're here, and sometimes we want it so bad that we'll believe absolutely anything in order to feel like we've got some sort of answer. And he says, there's all just a big scam, and they all just threaten to sue him. We're going to see your house and your balls and your balls. Then there's a new report saying that a cruise and chavals have come out of the closet. Finally, now we see I Kelly come out. It looks like he's a bit hurt or he's like holding his stone, like he said, like hunched over, like did they really have sex with him? Is that what they're implying now it's not really focused on, but he has like a real.
Speaker 1: Maybe they've taken shots at R Kelly.
Speaker 2: Possibly who knows. Yeah, but Cruising threatens to sue stand as well. And again this ending just seems like Parker and Stone saying scientologists being a big if you yes, indeed, and you.
Speaker 1: Watch the credits and everything is credited to Jane or John Smith John Smith exactly.
Speaker 2: Yes. So overall, yeah, as I said, very culturally significant this episode. I wouldn't call it the funniest. I enjoyed it because again I lived through two thousand and five. I know what they were implying, what they're talking about here, But I don't think this really holds up in twenty twenty six as much as I thought it would.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's a bit of a time capsule more than anything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again that's fine. That does means a bad episode because I think the best episodes of South Park. So when you watch South Park, what do you want? Do you want ones that are willing to that are that time capture where that you can't believe they did what they did at that time really push the boundaries or do you want pure long standing comedy.
Speaker 1: I think I want more sort of solid character driven comedy, more evergreen stuff. Yeah, I mean I think why when they tackle topics like this and they tend to do it pretty fearlessly, which I appreciate.
Speaker 2: Ah, but yeah, this is.
Speaker 1: An episode that I would certainly that I would really go back to. I mean over say something like say Erection Day for instance. I mean it's like, oh, this is just there's the gift that keeps on giving, whereas like, this is fun.
Speaker 2: It's good to revisit.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we felt that way about Silent only Oh Tom might come out of the closet, right, But.
Speaker 2: I don't really feel like scientology isn't seen as negatively anymore. It's just seen as almost like a punchline now, isn't It's like oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's almost like I want to phrase this carefully. I mean, like anyone who sort of gets into scientology and is like, oh.
Speaker 2: No, this is what it was like.
Speaker 1: How did you not know we've been talking about this for twenty years. Yeah, you got into the van that says free hugs on it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm finding that to have sympathy for you. It doesn't matter how delicious the candy looks. Don't get in. Yeah, but that has been our review. I've Trapped in the Closet. The next episode of Going down to south Park. The next episode we're reviewing shall be Free Willie's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have no idea how you say, and I'm not looking forward to that episode purely for that.
Speaker 2: And we're gonna doing a mail bag in the future as well, so make sure you send through your question Southparkmailbag at gmail dot com. We'll get through all those questions in the next episode of the south Park mail Bag. But this has been a review of Trapped in the Closet, mister Davis, and you find the words for those incredible listeners out there.