Speaker 1: This is what you've been waiting for. Get ready for Overtime Overtime Cards and Collectibles. That is Utah's premier sports and gaming card shop from your favorite youths and jazz.
Speaker 2: Players to Pokemon.
Speaker 1: Get it all at Overtime Cards and Collectibles and Overtime Cards and Collectibles dot com.
Speaker 2: Got something on your mind, Give us a call or shoot.
Speaker 3: Us a text on our Dish pros Call and text line eight seven seven tweet five three zero seven hundred. The Sean O'Connell's Show eleven to two on Utah's number one Sports Talk ESPN seven hundred and ninety two to one.
Speaker 4: A f am, It's time to hit the pitch on the drive. The RSL Insider Today and every day is brought to you by Beer Bar Head Downtown for watch parties and game day shuttles to the stadium. More at beer BARSLC dot com.
Speaker 5: Little Soccer Our Guy Kurt Schmiz, the head han Show of the boss Man. Even though it's a it's a group thing over there. Kurt is the guy called the shots, constructing the roster.
Speaker 2: Kurt. Happy Friday, Sir, How are you.
Speaker 6: Friday?
Speaker 5: How about we do this when you guys play well, you take the credit, and when you don't, you say it's a group thing.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's a dynamic.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean that's that's very self serving.
Speaker 6: But sure, whatever you want.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm trying.
Speaker 5: I'm looking out for you, man, that's I'm sure, Kurt, I have your back.
Speaker 2: I'm looking out for this.
Speaker 7: That's the old thing, right, players, players win the games, coach with loslam or something.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, there we go, there we go.
Speaker 5: I like it all right, scoreless draw in the opener for Cocky CAF Champions Cup. When you go on the road, obviously you want to get a result. What'd you like, Kurt? What you did in game? What did you not like Game one that took place on Wednesday.
Speaker 7: I think you know, going into the game, we knew it was gonna be difficult, and it's it's a difficult place to play. It's an unfamiliar environment for a lot of guys, and I thought they went down there and from a mentality standpoint, handled handled ourselves really well. You know, obviously we have some good chances to to getting away goal and take the lead. You know, we were a bit unlucky. We forced right as one on one and we had you know, a header that get cleared almost off the line, and I thought we created a couple of other really good opportunities. But mil mill on the road is is never a bad result in these types of two legas series, and we just have to come home and take care of business.
Speaker 5: What if anything, did you learn about the group, because you have a lot of players that made their debut, and obviously these are players that you and your staff have scouted for a while, so it's not like, hey, let's learn about them because we're watching them for the first time. But now that we've seen the group together, and of course there are some injuries that we'll get to in a moment, anything specific stand out to you about the guys that are making their debuts.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think some of the some of the guys that debuted, especially some of the young guys, you know, acquitted themselves really well. I don't I don't think you'd come away from the game thinking that, you know, Kobe Henry's brand new when he's only twenty years old, or that you know, this is Forester's first game with the club and some of those guys, so I thought they, you know, some of the guys did a good job Rotha. Obviously, with his experience, you'd expect his composure and calm this.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: I thought Sam had to come in and in short notice with Alex coming out injured, and you know, despite not having a real warm up, came in and put together a pretty solid performance as well. So yeah, overall, I thought the guys did the new guys, you know, I thought didn't look very new.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 5: So you open up MLS play now and it's San Jose PayPal Park eight thirty mount in Time coming up tomorrow, Apple TVMLS Pass. Let's get all that out there, Kurt, because we're trying to grow the game, and I'm an advocate.
Speaker 2: I've got your back, So there you go.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 5: It's going to be a little bit odd, is it not? To see Chico on the other side. I mean, what are some of the emotions you think are kind of permeating through the organization as the opener happens to be against the team that employs the striker that you sent them.
Speaker 7: Honestly, we haven't talked about him much, right, I Mean, obviously we talk about it in terms of him being a player on their team that we need to game plan for. And look out for. But as far as like emotional or you know, emotionality, it's not it's not there, right, So it's not we're not talking in terms of like him being this this guy who's someone that's more than what he would be as a player. I mean, he's a good player that we're going to be very aware of going into the game. But but beyond that, I think, you know, we've we've done a really good job in this group has a phenomenal mentality of just staying focused on the.
Speaker 6: Task at hand. So I had.
Speaker 7: To give, you know, Pablo a lot of credit in keeping the group focused like that.
Speaker 5: So current news, excuse me, news came down a number of weeks ago that you guys were adding Elias Man. Well, I think that's how you say it if it's not my bad. And you know, Elias is a guy that has a good pedigree. Is a Brazilian striker, twenty three years old, eighteen goals, ten assists, eighty four games all comps, last three years with a team that went to the MLS Cup final. So I got ask you, man, what happened? How this thing fall apart?
Speaker 7: Yeah, well I can tell you it's it's Elias, and I can tell you that that's what he told me when we spoke, and he seemed you know, we we spoke with him in his camp obviously before the trade and right after the trade, and you know, got on on a on a call with with Pablo and him and I and you know, it was it was all really positive and and he seemed really excited to come and and you know, explained him how we thought he'd fit into the team, and we were in a really good place until we weren't. And for whatever reason, he decided that, uh, you know, right before preseason he didn't didn't want to come, and that started some some discussions and also some disciplinary stuff. But at the end of the day, you know, we we we want people that want to be here, and we thought that was him, and as soon as it didn't didn't describe him, then we were we were in a different place and we had we knew we needed.
Speaker 6: To move on.
Speaker 7: I mean, we want people that want to be here. And the only way this thing worked is that people are bought in and and focused and on the job at hand and really want to be a part of this club, in this community. And anyone who doesn't have that we we don't need a part of the team, so we began looking for a solution and hopefully we're getting getting close to one here as well.
Speaker 5: Were you given any specifics? Was it I don't want to live in Utah? Was it I don't think I fit in?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 5: There were you given any specifics as to why Eleas did not want to move out here and play for the club?
Speaker 7: You know, nothing, nothing really clear. You know, it could have been could have been a little bit of that, although, like I said, when when we spoke with the player, none of that came up. His only real concern was was playing time because that was actually before things like Anderson Julio and Chichi Rongo.
Speaker 6: Before those moves were public, so he.
Speaker 7: Didn't he wasn't aware of those. So you know, once we talked to him through that, he was everything was really really good. So there was no specific reason that I was given, whether it was playing time or the city or just moving or contract stuff, you know, whatever it might be. But you know, once he broke that trust, it's it's really difficult to repair it.
Speaker 5: So the I mean, it's probably a dumb question, but what ultimately does this just mean? The trade is completely off and there's no harm done. You go your way, we go our way. Does the player get disciplined? Is there something that happens between the teams? Like what ultimately is the fallout when something like this actually happens.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there are disciplinary actions the league will take when a player isn't you know, upholding their their end of the contract. So that comes into play. As far as the trade, you know, the trade isn't undone does not come you know, don't do not become unwound. But you know, we, like I said, I think we've found a solution that makes us certainly whole at the end of the day. And we're still working to complete that. But that's what we've gone on the table.
Speaker 5: So you know, look, online rumors are just online rumors, Kurt, But obviously a lot of people are speculating that you have your eye on something different and you guys have moved on. Can you shed any light on the process of adding some talent there, you know, probably specifically up top at the number nine spots, since you guys had to move on from the player that you acquired.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, our search has been ongoing. We do, we do have a very very short list right now and are working on some of those acquisitions. Certainly, we have you know, obviously a priority, and we like some guys more than others, and we're trying to run run down each possibility in order. So that's that's where we're at right now. I mean, it's not like someone's going to show up on the bench or in the lineup tomorrow, but we feel like we're getting closed. But in the meantime, you know, I think guys like Forrester and you know, Forster Iago and Rspol have done really really well in pre season and have earned a shot to show what they can do. And I know Pablo has been very happy with them and keen to see what they can do in uh, you know, once they're battle tested and what they look like. So it's certainly it's certainly they deserve the shot, and we're going to evaluate that as well. But we do have a list of candidates that we can bring in and help aid and add some some quality to that rotation.
Speaker 5: What is the name of your first choice candidate that you would like to bring in and where does he play? That's probably not going to tell you, good try do you want to text me later you wanted to shit me up, text.
Speaker 7: Me later, Yeah, I'll do that all right, fair enough?
Speaker 5: Is it safe to say that you are looking at nines, I mean that's the spot you're looking to add.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that's the one spot just numerically where we're a bit thin right, where we're the finish right now, and just even just from a number standpoint, So that's the spot that if we add another piece here, that's that's likely where we're going to add a piece.
Speaker 5: Any any other spot you're I mean, look, you you have built a roster that in certain spots as tremendous depth, like you're holding midfield, My goodness, you've got like five dudes, right, But you know the striker is the obvious option. Any other spots you're looking at to prior to the window closing.
Speaker 2: I think late April, well, I think he hit the nail.
Speaker 6: On the head.
Speaker 7: I mean, you know, our depth everywhere else is pretty good. Our guests in the middle of midfield, you know, is I think, really really good with Macha O'heita, Palacio, Pablo Luiz and even you know Noel Koliskin who came in and gave us some good minutes the times last year too, so we're very deep there. I think we've added some good depth along the back line. You know, you saw Kobe Henry and Sam Junk weall play on Wednesday night, and I thought they both acquitted themselves really well. And so you know, it's a in a game where we didn't have Justin Glad available from the start. I think in years past, since I've been here, that would have been a much bigger problem then I think it was on Wednesday, and that's due to Kobe stepping up. And then we've got guys like Philip Quinton coming back in. So I think our depths everywhere else, you know, has been really good, even in the attacking midfield spots. You know, we've got a rookie in Haesusperea who's done really well also, and we'll push some guys for four minutes when he gets.
Speaker 6: Uh gets on board.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I mean everywhere else, we feel really good about the team.
Speaker 5: You referenced Jay Glad. Let's get an update on the health of Justin then. Also, obviously you know the rest of the club, uh, Diego.
Speaker 2: A lot of people.
Speaker 5: Wondering the deal with Diego Luna, what are we gonna see Diego, so Diego and Justin specifically, and then overall, how healthy are you heading into the MLS opener tomorrow?
Speaker 7: We are actually in pretty good health. We had a couple of injuries Diego, Phil Quinn early earlier in preseason. Luckily, those guys are just getting back right now. So I think you should see both those guys on the field tomorrow, whether it's off the bench or from the start. We we should see them play.
Speaker 6: Ari.
Speaker 7: You know, Ari Peel had a little bit of a hamstring, but he's it was very, very minor, and you know, he's kind of day to day, but but it is feeling better and better. And then even though Justin couldn't couldn't start on Wednesday, obviously still came in the game and so he's ready to go.
Speaker 5: Also, So just let me follow, So Diego should be available tomorrow against Vin San Jose.
Speaker 2: You should be oh good, okay, good, No, great news, great news.
Speaker 5: All right, Let's go back now real quick, because I wanted to ask you about the attacking group on Wednesday night, because obviously that's the spot that people are curious about. And Dominic started wide on the right. We had Diogo on the opposite side, and then it was Lochlan in central attacking mid just behind Forrester.
Speaker 2: That surprised me, but I'm not you.
Speaker 5: I would imagine you had an idea that Lachlan is a guy that I just figured Diogo was a little bit more naturally a central player.
Speaker 2: But I don't know. I don't know my elbow from you know what about this sport.
Speaker 5: So tell me about the decisions as far as what Pablo decided to do with that attacking group, and then how you od they handled themselves on Wednesday night.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean we might we should probably start listing our formation differently, just just as familiar as people you know from this start, because it's always a four two three one with those two white guys, then a central ten, and it looks like pretty clear cut. But when we attack, you know, we really like to push our left back up high, you know, Alex or Sam Junkwa, whoever it is, and bring our left side a guy whether it's Luna or Diogo inside into sort of a more central space, and our central ten also drifts to the right in kind of a half space as well, so we play with sort of those two.
Speaker 6: Ten's in there, and with.
Speaker 7: Locke and Diego, the thought was to have them both in positions that in the attack they were coming outside in onto their stronger foot and could be a little bit more goal dangerous and more comfortable in that way. Lockey's played a lot as an inverted right winger coming into that half space from the wide spot, so he's he's comfortable in that space. And Diego's played a lot, you know, as a white player on either side, to be honest, but coming inside from the left as well into that space, kind of like Luna has in the past. So we just thought from an attacking standpoint, it suited those guys, and you know, everyone's bought in on the defensive side of the ball and it is willing to put in the work, and so you know, those guys are put in the work, and when we defend, it's a little more full for two and it's a little more like you're used to seeing it, where Lockey will be next to Forster defending against sort of their back line and Diogo will have to deal with their white guy in that role. But yeah, it's it's more from an attacking standpoint, getting both of those guys in positions where they feel comfortable on the ball.
Speaker 2: Then obviously you get a clean sheet.
Speaker 5: So i'd imagine you're happy with what happened with the And I know you defend as a team, okay, I've learned over the years. I get yelled at, like, Okay, I know it's not just the back four and the keeper, but Rath Cabral gets a clean sheet for his debut for you guys, and you guys stay clean on that side of the ball. So i'd imagine you were pleased with the defensive effort.
Speaker 7: Yes, yeah, you know, Rafa's composure and calmness on the ball and defensively, communications organization was all really good. The back line defended really well with a tough, tough environment, like I said, so you know, it was a bit physical at times, and I thought they did a good job of matching that physical intensity when it was required. So yeah, they played pretty well.
Speaker 5: So fullbacks, of course, Alex Catranas, who every time I watch him, you know, ultimately continues to become one of my favorite players and body on the other side. But I think it was three years ago, Kurt, when I had you on after the season and Andrew Brody had been named the RSL Defender of the Year. And I asked you if you were surprised, and you said absolutely not, and you gave a really eloquent, smart answer about the type of player that Brody is. And you guys elected to move on from Andrew Brody just a couple of days ago. He has landed on his feet. Sporting Case grabbed him homegrown player. It can only be, you know, tabbed as a successful story start to finish. But how tough was that decision to let go of a guy that I know a lot of people over there liked an awful lot.
Speaker 7: Yeah it is. And you know, nothing bad to say about about Brodie at all, and he was he is a great guy, a good a good egg in the locker room, someone who works hard and gives everything he's got every time he's out there. And that's what, you know, what got him where he is now and what got him on the field for us when he got on the field for us, and he pushed really hard. And I think it's really less about Brody and more credit to some of the guys we brought in in terms of their ability to.
Speaker 6: Push into some of those roles and positions.
Speaker 7: And you know, as we talked about it, we felt that Andrew may not play as much as as he had in the past, given given some of the performances some of the guys that are coming through. So you know, we wanted to try to find the best solution to help him land on his feet is as much as possible. And I don't know that it was super clear and smooth always, but I'm really really happy for him because I think he obviously deserves it, and I know he'll work hard and he'll do really well there. But yeah, sometimes it just comes to a point where you know the it's run its course with maybe one club and it's time to move on, to get a change of scenery and try something in a different place.
Speaker 5: I want to go back real quick before we talk about the match tomorrow. Then I'll set you loose with Elias not showing up and not electing to move to Salt Lake and play for RSL. And just in your experience, is that something you run into maybe more than you expected. And the reason I asked Kurt is the RSL players in the past have seemed to embrace our city in a way that a lot of the jazz players either never tried to. And I could give you a list of names of guys that had locked in that didn't want to move here, or players that have lived here for a few years and have decided like it's not for them. And I think for sports fans in our market, it's always been pretty refreshing. And I know that RSEL fans hate when I go back to like the two thousand and nine group, but.
Speaker 2: All those guys just embrace Star community.
Speaker 5: A lot of them could have played elsewhere, like Nikki and Kyle, And from my seat, I haven't seen a lot of this, you know, players not wanting to come here from a soccer standpoint, so this feels somewhat new to me. But I'm not in these conversations the way you are. Is this a challenge that you guys face, maybe more than most of us realize.
Speaker 7: I don't know that that's the case, to be honest. I mean, it's not something where you know, a player refusing to come to a club, whether it's been Harsel or any other places I've been, is really a big issue. Typically this is kind of the first time this is this has happened, and you know, despite doing the work on the front end and getting buying or at least feeling good about like everyone knowing what's going on to the extent that it's ever in the cards, like that's usually made clear early enough in the process that you don't get to this point. But that's that's just clearly not what happened here. So no, I mean, look, I don't as I'm talking to people, especially foreign foreign players, you know, RSL or Salt Lake City or Utah being a destination that they, you know, for whatever reason, may not want to come to doesn't doesn't really come up.
Speaker 6: I think when.
Speaker 7: People see see the mountains and see the community and see the facilities and see the fans, like you know, in a game. But there's rarely do I get anything but positive feedback from perspective players, I think, and sometimes these situations. What what plays into it is is if you've got a foreign player who's got an agent and neither of them is as familiar as they should be with the contract they signed and MLSH in particular, then then you get these situations where some confusion can develop and bad you know, bad advice and bad decisions are made. So I think I think it's.
Speaker 6: More to do with probably that.
Speaker 7: Than Salt Lake as a as a location, as a community, as a as a place, than anything A.
Speaker 5: All right, Kurt, before I set you loose, and I know you already know this, but I'm going to point it out. The mlssoccer dot Com Power Rankings in Pro Soccer for our domestic league RSL at seventeen, San Jose at eighteen.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 5: I know you've already read this. I mean, I know you already know this. I'm just reminding you.
Speaker 7: I don't read it until Trey reads it to me every day.
Speaker 5: You know what, I want Trey to read me the MLS Power Rankings before I go to sleep every night.
Speaker 2: I think that would be a wonderful bedtime story.
Speaker 5: So I know Trey has let you know that you guys are seventeen and San Jose is eighteen. Tongue in cheek, obviously, what do you know about San Jose? You know, Bruce Arena in charge. Obviously, he's a legend a guy that you know. I'm sure throughout the course of your MLS journey we've already talked about. You know, the fact that they have Chi Cho and a bunch of new players who I know nothing about. So what are you guys up against tomorrow, down against San Jose.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, look like you said, it's you know, Bruce has come in and you know, he's had a ton of success everywhere he's been, you know, putting nov rosters, changing tactics, giving players sort of the freedom to express themselves, and managing managing them really well, managing high profile players really well. So do we know exactly what they're gonna look like. I mean, no, we don't, because I mean I don't know that they know exactly what they're gonna look like tomorrow or in six months. But it's gonna be a lot different from last year. There's there's a lot of different faces and and obviously they're gonna set up differently and play a style that's different than last year. They've got, you know, two strikers that are probably not used to playing with another striker of their sort of I don't know level, you know, at the same time, so it'll be interesting to see how how that kind of works together. They've got a lot of high price or high high cost attacking talent that they needed to squeeze into the field at the same time, and you know, it's it's our job to just execute our game plan and make you know, exploit the flaws and that and that idea. But you know, I think they're gonna come in with a different setup. You know, they might come with three in the back, they might come with four. Bruce is typically like, you know, a four forty three one four four two type of guy with maybe the setup, but he can easily play with three in the back and like a three four one two type of setup depending on how he deploys his white guys and his wing back. So it just depends on his preference on the day and how he feels he gets the best players in the field. But you know, how we deal with it is gonna is gonna be the same regardless.
Speaker 6: Kurt.
Speaker 5: You are the man I'll be pulling for tomorrow as always, so I appreciate the time.
Speaker 2: Have a great weekend.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, thanks man.
Speaker 5: All right, Kurt Schmitt RSL opens up on my LS play coming up tomorrow against San Jose. Bruce Arena is in charge of San Jose now and they have Chicho Orongo. Joseph Martinez has been acquired as well, So those are big time strikers on paper. RSL hopefully can continue the road success they've had under Pablo. Our guy, Pobs good vibes guy, getting some points on the road. Kurt brought to you today by Overtime Cards and Collectibles. Go into Overtime and I want to tell you about one of my favorite new clients, so Michelle and Chris.
Speaker 2: They are great people.
Speaker 5: Overtime Cards and Collectibles and Sandy is the best spot for all your football, basketball, hockey, MMA and even Pokemon card collect and you can buy all your favorites there, from rare sports cards to local legends and hard to find Pokemon cards. With it being twenty twenty five, start a new and fun hobby of collecting cards, and there's no better spot to do it than my friends at Overtime Cards and Collectibles.
Speaker 2: Check them out online at.
Speaker 5: Overtimecardsocollectibles dot com where you can buy and trade, or go out to their new location at one oh six seven three South State Street and Sandy. They're great people, man. Michelle and Chris are awesome. I've known him for a long long time. And if you are of a certain age, maybe around my age, you probably at one point collected sports cards. Right, do you know where they're at now, Are they in your basement, are they in your mom's seller, whatever it is. My recommendation is going to grab your collection then take it out to Overtime Cards, because I did that and Chris found a Kobe Bryant Flear Rookie card in my collection that I honestly either forgot that I had or didn't even know. Now it's sitting on my mantel and hopefully at some point it can provide a down payment for my son's house.
Speaker 2: That's the goal.
Speaker 5: So Overtime Cards and Collectibles at one O six seven three South State Tree and Sandy, you should definitely check them out.