Speaker 1: So let me just do a number of things before we start. I do believe this class, we will get to the Lavaterbian. My mother keeps asking me, I first want to go back to last class. I want. I didn't have this picture handy. Thank you to David Eisen for showing it to me. Here. Where is it on my scream? Here? Here it is? You should see it? Now? Can you see it? I don't have my own thing? Okay, So this is he's a show height from Morocco. And what is he holding there? He's holding a partridge. And I have the letter you can see on Rabbi Zivatowski's website about the testifying that they used to shaft it. So it's a kosher bird. So if anyone wants to eat the partridge, be my guest. Just getting my other screen up in here, a couple other things I want to show you. I listened to the video and no one corrected me on this point. I couldn't believe I said it. We were talking about Italy and I said that the only two communities are Rome and Livorno. Of course there's Milan, Milansa, the second largest community after Rome, and you have Rabbad there and you have Sparta juice and very very nice community as well. What else do I want to show you? Oh, you'll be very happy, Rabbi Kelman with this, and I think I will send this to you. Hold on, uh in case you didn't have it, I know you would, you were very concerned about it. But hold on, where is it? Oh boy, I'll get it here. I have lots of you see all the stuff I want to show you. Uh, if you recognize who that is, hold on, ah, here it is a mask that's coach. In case you were wondering, there you go, maybe because there's kidneyos or something in it, but uh, it hasn't reached America yet. But here this is. This was taken in Israel last week and uh it's under the uh hassom sofa hashkaka. It's a big hashkoha. And if I have been a brock, I believe. And you can never get your coastal lasa uh COVID mask anyone. If in case you're wondering why you need it, well chalk that up to all the other things that have has that are needed. But look, Jews need Parnasso, so they come up with these things. What can I tell you I had nice correspondence with someone and I, uh, here here's the story. I give full names. You'll hear when I ask or when people tell me. Other than that, I only give first names unless I feel there's, uh, there's no reason. Then I don't give any names. But one of you who actually I forgot who it was, I won't mention the name. We're talking about this this thing I was speaking about about Gamara only being for the elite. So he asked me, is that something that's I think only recently or in the olden days that everyone will be expected to learn? And I actually think this is the way it always was. And I'll give you the proof of this. Unless you think this is not a good proof. I want to show you what the mid Rush says. Well, here's the mid Russian vakuroba, and it says as follows. You see where the moreker is here, it's it's saying, but no hagg shibo, I'm the practice in the world is el A thousand people go and study mikra yoya. About one hundred of them are one tenth of them are successful. Of this hundred male amshna, one hundred will study Mishna Sara ten will come out successful. And of those asara a Talmud ten will study Talmud, only one will be successful. So what we see among this is that already even in the time of the Midrash, they're talking about how for the for the average person and by and that's so they they give a drussia here as I recall you, Masasi from Cohalis Uh, so that you see already in the Midrash, this period which is taking us back. I don't know what we sixth century, seventh century. I'm not concerned when it was actually put together edited, But these traditions go way back, uh. And they are already they saying there that of a thousand people, one you will have who's yoats say? I guess that means to be an expert, maybe to give a lot of decisions. But you see already out of one thousand and only ten of them go on to study Gamarus. So we're doing a lot better than they were doing at the time in the Midrush if you look at it that way. Okay, Matthew Miller, he called my attention to the following. Remember I mentioned Rabbi Mazus. He said about WHYU he heard that there's a guy at Yu who wrote a book showing how everything derives from the Hebrew language English. Also all the words. I didn't know what he was referring to. Thank you, Matthew Miller. Someone at Yu. I guess it's from the seventies, Isaac Ohan and Moses, and I don't know where he is now. But if you let's see, let me close this up here show you what he wrote. This is what Rabbi Mazuz was referring to. He actually published a book on the topic and you can buy it. The word the dictionary there reveals the Hebrew source of English. That's Isaac, moseson that's Uh and Isaac. And Matthew Miller called my attention to another thing. Get his paper here. This is from a sermon. If you go to Yu, you have all the sermons of Rebbe Lamb. He he was incredible. He wrote everything down, he typed it all up and then he and now they've published plenty of them. But here is one of his sermons, say goodbye to the cousin and the mask. What Matthew pointed out, which is interesting, is that he wrote out the words you see here vaka at mateel him bi Adeau. He wrote it, he typed it out. He actually wrote God's name, which you're allowed to do, but you can't throw it out then, and we're accustomed not to do that. But it's significant or interesting at least that rebby Lamb since he's writing Torah, he didn't feel a problem in writing out Uh. It's not the tetragramaton, but he didn't feel the problem with writing it out. Two more things mel Mel asked a question last week, and then we're gonna get back to Bavor and that will be the last thing mel asked. I mentioned the reveliab and a Mosic who talks about Uh. It's actually in his uh A Mattmufkilla. If you look in his u is a mat Mafkia, page volume two, page two B. He speaks about all these things that we're uh. He thinks that it's Gilgel. So for example, there's a Talmudic opinion that what as they saying love on is? I forget who it is? Uh. I'll read you some of the things he has here. Co is is dar Jovash and who is love on? I forgot to love on is? Uh? I forgot which who identify uh love on his bill? Yeah, how could love them? And he says it's all Gilgel. And then there's the one of pinchasenel Yaho. That's the one we spoke about. Now, Rebena Mosic is not the first one to say Eliahu already. The zoar says that the question is what does that mean? That's what mel asked me. And Uh. There's a lot of different interpretations of it. There are some who think it's gil Go. In fact, before Ben and Mosic, I found that Macha Recanati he's in the fourth century. I believe he says that. But the rod Bas doesn't say that. The rod Baz simply says that Eliao's from the same show Rish and Shama. I guess that's the term they use. Uh that so they have some spiritual characteristic. Incidentally, when you deal with reincarnation, I got an email today all the rabbad do at the same time. Mom, hold on a second, let me show you something here. All the rabbad Uh, yes, okay, I found it on my computer. Here they I got the same thing there did all the Kabbad's all over the world deal with uh? They say they have these classes that the experts in Crown Heights of and then they send it out and they send them all source material. So this week it's less than number five reincarnation more than a fascinating topic. Judaism provides a practical way to imagine this mystical process and explains why it is important both to departed souls and our lives today. This isn't the sort of thing that we have in our typical modern orthodoxical but haabad, as we saw it in Kabbalah, it's essential. So therefore they're doing it. One more point before we go on, take you back to last class. I said about this phrase, can anyone just bave worn? It's right here? And I said, I've never heard that as yeshivash. And some of you wrote to me that maybe it means because that's the word for warn, like annyone's warn, But that what sense would that make? It's worn as hastraw we say give astra. But three people emailed me and they pointed out that I did not know this. I guess maybe why you trained Rushi Yeshiva don' use the term. But it definitely is a term, although it not the way he uses it can anyone just bavorn. So for example, uh uh Yahuda sends me, Uh, you would say, for example, the basil safe already bavorned the lavicious question. What does it mean to bavorn the question? It means to address or to account for? Morty said emailed me that it means also to to to raise the to raise an issue. But Salo says it's to to bevorn something is to preclude it. Morty says, it's to bring attention to something. So I I said that last class. Maybe someone will come up with the answer. And uh, I don't think they say that at Gush. But uh, there is such a thing bavorn in Yeshivah circles, so which I did not know, at least in Yeshiva circles I was in. I maybe I did hear of it, but I did not remember it. Okay, that is enough for today. I have some other things, but I want to continue with where we are because we have good stuff as always, and we're picking up in the Safair on page three eleven simon kufmem Dalad, and there's a there's a couple of things here. Well, first, I don't need to get into much details. But a rabbei Mazus begins as follow this is interesting in this letter to me. This is from twenty seventeen. He says, I received your letter. I didn't have time to reply from all the you know, busy work troubles comin an ashim bavim meleim, everyone sending letters and emails. And what are they saying that they had a problem with me? Lama animuskirchel la chivalle. And why am I raising all these questions about philosophical matters? And he says, they want to it's monrocham behole. They want to put their head in the sands, just like the Ostrich. And they want to know why I'm quoting Aristotle, Aristotle, Hebrews, Aristo and Einstein and Bilick. And he says they forgot the rumbam and Ravsadia gone. And he says, I decided not to give the satura night sheer anymore, which has been going on probably for twenty years. But then everyone starts sending me more than one hundred letters I received from all the groups from the Hurry Dan from the team from the Rial name telling me that the shear is important. So I'm continued to do it. Now, this letter deals with a few different things. I only want to focus on one. I'll briefly mention just actually two things I want to focus on. It began, I just point something out to him. But the Rumbam wroting. We have an ethical will of the Rumbum to his son. And when he says all sorts of unusual things, he attacks the scholars of France, as you know, in a really really bad way. He shows, he shows that he likes Ibn Ezra. There's a number of problems in this letter, and the scholars are all in agreement that this is a forgery. It's not even a doubtful letter. It's a forgery. And if you look in Reb Schlat he explains why it's a forgery. In fact, the text we have part of it, we even have in an Italian text which was stitched together with the second part. And so there's no question it's not real. It's not authentic. But Rabbi Mazous for some reason, and he writes me a number of paragraphs saying, no, it's authentic. It's the Rombums approach, and it's the Rombams language. And as for the attack, and as for the attack on the the scholars of France, well, of course he attacked them because he learned that they that they believe in God has a physical form, and all these things, and he goes on and on. You can read it, but it's not true. With all due respect to Rabbi Mazous, there's no doubt among the scholars that this so called ethical well, if you ever see it quoted, it's not authentic to the Rombum. It's that someone, for whatever reason, decided to write it. But then it gets interesting because in one of the Saturday Night Chierim's he quoted from a book called let me read you exactly what he quoted from here. The book is called eov Kamocha who job as it is, and he says, as follows. He quotes his book and he says, which I saw. He says that in this book the say for e Kmocham, the author goes to battle against these biblical critics. So I wrote Youbamazoo's that apparently you don't know who wrote the book. He says that, uh, in the book I come Ocha whom he goes to. The author battles with them. So who wrote this book Eov Komocha, who the same person who wrote the book I think it's called Yeshaia Isaiah was one against the idea that the of of second Isaiah. So let me tell you about one of the most fascinating families. They've all passed away, but there are probably people listening to us right now who at least know some of them. So I'll introduce you by doing everyone till we get to the star of the show, the person the author of this book. But what family are we referring to here? Well, first, does anyone know Mordechheimergolios. He's a great Talmudic scholar. He wrote the books Encyclopedia Godolisrol. He edited the standard edition of a Yikra Raba Leviticus Raba. He published a number of other things. They taught it the seminary for many years. He was married to a very interesting woman. But before we get this woman, raj mol, let's talk about who who her family is. The family is the Kolodetsky family, and they had three sons that I know of, and atleasta became famous. And one daughter, well, one of the sons is Via kuitz ITZA Kulitz was a chief rabbi of Jerusalem until he died in two thousand and three, so a great post sake and important figure. Then another brother, and his brother was Staklitz stay Colitz, who it says he hearn in Subaka. He ended up in America. He wrote a couple of number of books. One of his books was on let's see do you have it here? Oh, the confrontation, the exception, existential thought of Rabbi Joseph P. B. Saliveitchik. He taught it Yu. But he's famous because he wrote something else. He wrote a book called an ass say not a book a short story you so rockover talks to God. What happened was in nineteen forty six, I think it was he was sent by the Schnut to Israel to be a sech newt of Israel, to go to Argentina for Latin America to encourage Aliyah. And while there he wrote in Yiddish for a Jewish newspaper there, as you can see it right here, a story, a fictional story that deals with the odyssey of you know, having faith in the Holocaust even though you're suffering so much. The problem was that, as it says here, a few years after it published, someone picked it up. It was translated into English and Hebrew, and it was passed off and it was reprinted in numerous places as an actual story, a true story, which it wasn't. It was a made up story, and it was. It took him about twenty five years before he was actually able to reclaim ownership because this was published all over the place as a true story of yusso rockover. Now it's uh, it's achieved, it's achieved its renown. It's it's it's a wonderful story if you haven't seen it, as it says. It was published in an edition with what does it say here? Slim volume with afterwards by a Manuel of Levinas and Leon Whistle tier Lean Whistell. Tear is making a comeback, by the way, if you know what happened to him. So it all depends if you believe that people should be condemned forever. But he's definitely making a comeback. He started an online journal of intellectual intellectual opinion. So that's sibling number two see Klitz, and the third sibling is him Klitz also Yeshiva trained a business person. He wrote he's known in the Yeshiva world because he wrote he was actually in the ar good. But he wrote a book here you see it Jjosa Mirita, which is a description from up close. Their families are very close of the rash. And this book was controversial for the simple reason that Chim Colitz spoke about something and everyone knows, but no one will ever wanted to speak about but everyone knows it. Subsequently, it's spoken about that the Rasis did not have a good marriage, that his wife was who was somewhat significantly older than him. In fact, he married her when he found out that he was deceived and how old she was. But he says he's not going to allow a Jewish girl to be embarrassed this way. But they did not have I mean, she would you listen to them. Now there's a few more than a couple other people written about it, like she would scream and this, and it's it's it wasn't Look can I say it wasn't a good marriage? And uh so Colets writes about it, uh their marriage and uh so, of course everyone wants to read about it because everyone wants to know about the Hazniche. But then everyone attacks him because he shouldn't have written about it. But everyone who's that game, they want to read about it because it's interesting. A student Shiva students would climb through the coras nishes window. He would stay in the room with the door closed and he'd open the window and he'd speak to them from the window, or they would actually climb in because his wife wouldn't allow anyone in the house. It was that, it was. It was a strange situation. And uh uh, so he writes about it. So it's a famous book. It was only reprinted one time, and uh, I was fortunate to find a copy in Israel. That's that's And then they had a sister, and uh Wittfisher family with a daughter. And here she is Rachel Colitz Kulitz or when she was married Rachel Margolios. She only passed away in two thousand and nine. She lived in America for many years. Remember what I told you that her husband was teaching at the seminary for I think throughout all the sixties to early seventies. And look at her books. So she wrote Echa raya Yesheahu an iov Komoshahu, and then she wrote another book about and these are very interesting books. She is a woman who is a Torah scholar, who's educated, who's writing books before this was popular before Nahamolibuwitz. Really let me take that back on the same time, Nahamolibwitz. But she's writing like from a Torah academic perspective. She is someone who all these women at Migdalo's and Nishmat and Lindenbaum, they should know about her. Her picture should be on the wall because, uh, they're all following in her footsteps not even knowing who she was. So that's Rachel Margolios from the Kolwitz family. So Rabe Marzous, So I write to him, I said that you said that that Noam, that he went to war against you know some of these critical theories. Did you not know that it's actually not a man who wrote the book. It was a woman who wrote the book. So it should be no rama. And he says, as follows to me. Uh, he says, I know, yeah, Datti, I knew that she was Rabbit Rachel Mars, the wife of doctor Mordechaim Margolios and the sister of rabba Ya Kolitz and also the sister of Hayen Kowitz, the author of a Jose Marita and he doesn't know Si Kolitz. But Stikolitz again was in America for all these years. And then he says to them, why didn he saying noham, He says, uh, Nevertheless, I wrote Blush on Zachar because of Sneel's reasons. Chilo that people should not say that I'm mitva Mia, that here I'm picking on a woman, I'm arguing with a woman. And therefore, he says, you should read the sentences follows he says, I intended the book. So when it says ov a safer Eo of Komocha, who knew mahem, what is it? It's the book is disputing with them, not the person. But he says that he thinks, for Sneer reasons, it's not good to have a man hu hey. Today they'll say it's man'splaining or things like that. But look, if you're writing an academic work, you need to be able to uh. Men should be able to criticize women and vice versa. But I don't know if this is a Victorian thing. I don't know what he means by Sneel, because I don't know how it is in a violation of set, but to criticize a woman's writing. But and he says, he says, because they would that they would not say that I'm arguing with a woman. Maybe the whole idea that you're disputing, I don't know. But so he knew, he knew that it's written by a woman. And if you haven't heard of Rahel Margoliot, like I said, that she has not been given the do that she deserves. That she's writing a top level stuff in I'll give you the date. Let me see if it gives the dates. Fifty four is her book on Yeshayahu and the book on eo of it's it's showing it two nineteen eighty one, Yes, that's later. But so that's a Rachel Margoliot. Then the next part of the letter is of interest also, especially because we're coming to Pesa. We have another thing of interest coming to Paso too today as well. Hopefully all you see in the letter is he says, I've never seen this book, Pelayo. It's this chew vote. So let me explain what it is. I explained in the note. Rabbi Mazous says, as follows, he published an article in Ortoum in twenty fourteen. I can send it to anyone who's interested. It's called Byankibus regarding matter of washing clothes during holamo Aid because if you look at the sage just said, you're not supposed to do the laundry at Holamoid. And he says that this was in their time, that it would all be they would mahab sin beyad, they would do it all by hand at the river. It would take forever, and therefore people would hold off. They would keep the wash until Holomoid because they're so busy preparing for the hog that they'd wait to Holomoid.
Speaker 2: And do it.
Speaker 1: And had Dafka didn't want to do that, so they said, that's the reason you can't do it on You have to do it beforehand. But he says today it's not a tyrka, it's no big deal. You just throw it in the wash and uh, it takes one minute. And so so he has a whole piece here, two pages explaining why it's a lockily there's no problem. And but then in the end he says, nevertheless, most of the acronym forbid it even today. And then he says, but if you're already washing the kid's stuff. You're allout to watch the kids stuff. You can throw in the adult stuff as well, but he thinks that you can wash everything. Nevertheless, he says, I don't want people to rely on me because I'm you're ahrad. I'm one of the people who doesn't like to make a lot of rulings, and if they don't agree with me, then this is just behlaa vla masa. Now this is an old question. What do you say when you see a sock from someone where they give all the reasons why something is holockically permissible, but then in the end they say, don't rely on me. You can look in the day Remit. He has a whole section on this where he discusses it. Some hold that basically you accept what the post sake says, and the part where he says don't rely on me, you say it's just modesty and you don't have to pay attention to that. Others say that, no, you it means that really he's not supposed to bear eyed upon this. I think maybe most people apply the top The first approach of the most famous chew vote in modern times actually has that caveat of Jacob be Ettlinger the Bignon sion, he has this chuva saying that today non stay Jews who are mikhal Schabis. The Jews he's speaking about, they maybe will go to show in the morning or they have a shabas meal, but they still be mihaal shabas. It doesn't they're not mahaal shabas like the Gamura speaks about. From the Gamara speaks of mahal shabas someone who rejects God. He's a heretic. No, we see they're not. They just I coined the phrase they're God fearing Sabbath violators. And we all know people like that. And Jaka Hetlinger says, we don't apply to them this idea that you can't can them in a minion and there will make the wine nogad and all that. It's a new category because we're dealing with new type of people. Well, if you look before the chuva, it says that the chuva from this point on are just they're not laklasa. And yet everyone has relied on this in practice. Now Rabbei Mazou's returned to this in twenty seventeen in his weekly Tora sheet totarah I don't know what you call nicolem sheets in Israel, and he says, as follows, this is what suckus. In twenty seventeen, he says, he goes through the sources again, and then he says that it shouldn't be a problem today because you just use some makob mahon it uh, you just put it in the washing machine. It shouldn't be a problem. But then he says, but we don't make we don't abolish the gazere of the Khaman. We don't have the authority. But then he says, they told me that by Sheinberg did permit it. Sheinberg was a great, great uh tourist age from America. He studied His name was George. Incidentally, he was so I'm told he studied with roseolvechikselvechik had Yeshiva. She was hero Raim Alvi in Boston for a few years. I met someone he passed away. He taught economics that he wasn't religious. When I met, I shouldn't say I wasn't religious. He wasn't yes Orthodox at He taught economics at George Mason University. He was in the Row Cole Well in the forties and right when the rev started being at Yu and he told this story which I don't think I wrote about it, but it's I don't think it's been picked up. It's and I believe him. This isn't some hagiography. He says that they were sleeping in like one of the shoals. They gave him place to sleep. The Rob woke them up at like I don't know, two in the morning or something and said to them I have the answer to the kasha. And he actually made them get up to tell them what the answer to the question that he had was. But he says were by Sinberg permitted doing the washing call him all eight because he says the whole gazere the Jaja mean was al was when they didn't have a washing machine and uh, people would have to work hard. And then but Ramazous says, nevertheless, since the tradition is not to wash it, I don't ef charlottete teerba, even though before he says it should he he doesn't want to permit it. And then he says, and then he repeats what he said before that only if you're already doing let's say you're washing underwear, then you throw things in or if you're washing kids stuff, but not the Dafka take let's say your pants or your shirt, if you have other stuff, I guess and any But he says here I have not found anyone who has permitted it. Explicitly. He's not talking about of s Sheinberg. I think he means in writing, Oh yeah, because he says but except for of Schinberg who said it, but no one Bob Peb but nothing in print. So I wrote to him, there's a safer that was put out by a Rabbi Stoleman, Ave Odd Stoleman. I don't know what he's doing now. He's a TOML. Harochelm and also an academic scholar. For a while he you had rebbi Kelman, as I said, he gets all the great people. He had Joel Finckelman speaking. I believe Rebby Stoleman had Joel Finkerlman's job a couple of years ago at the library. And he published a volume, a little volume of showut and shoe vote called Pelayoids, And in there he makes the case that uh, exactly this, that Rabbi Mazous didn't want to do hala jams, that today's day and age, there's no there's no issue. So I wrote to him this, I don't know today what the rabbis tell you. I can't say as follows. I showed it to refersual chacter the chuva, and re Schachtra said, as follows, this is like what a I work for word. It makes perfect sense. I said, so then do you can I say that you you agree? Am I? So you motterate? And re Schachter said that I have to think about another's He wouldn't wouldn't motter it. He said, it makes perfect sense, but he wouldn't. Uh for a Schachter, it's all I couldn't. I asked him, I wanted to know, so do you permit? And he says, no, we have to think about it some more. So then I had my friend in Lakewood show it to of a body, because this is the same sort of thing that of a body. I was certain of a body would say one hundred percent, because this, if you know the way of a body works, this is uh, the exact sort of thing that he would say. He's always coming up with ideas because it's a different circumstance. But he said no, he said he doesn't accept it, and I'm not sure why, but so you can ask your local We'll ask her local rabbi and that's Simon kuff Me Dowitt. Let us now move on to uh hey, and I'm gonna we returned to this individual. Let me get the screen up here again. I lost my screen here, So let's we'll say goodbye to Rachel margoliout. There must be people listening to us or for listening later on YouTube who who knew her, because she would have lived on the Upper West Side. In fact, let me hold on a second. To me, I'll tell you exactly what years her husband taught at the seminary. I think we might even have people who, uh well, I know we do who listen. I don't know if I'm live with us now who who went to the seminary, because someone just emailed me last week that he was in a seminary in the seventies. So it said from nineteen fifty eight until his death he taught at the seminary to sixty eight. So for ten years at least they were living on I assume on the Upper west Side, because all those seminary people lived on the Upper west Side. The seminary in the fifties and the sixties had such great scholars. It's unbelievable the sort of people they had. And it's Mordecha. Margolia wasn't even the top of the line. He's like, second, you have Lieberman, and you have Ginsburg. Other people they had their Halkin and Spiegel I think taught there. And I mean people like Dimatrovsky Abramson, who were giants at the seminary. They were like the second level people. Even Alivny Hellivny, he was also second level during those years. So I don't think you ever had such a concentration of great scholars in one institution, and you had at the Seminary. Let's say in the fifties, let's see what was Ginsburg dies. I let's see who No, a second, you had both Lieberman and Ginsburg dies in fifty three. But even after Ginsburg dies, they still had amazing people. Okay, let's we're gonna return to a person that we saw earlier on Rabbi the great yem and I post sake and uh I asked him a question that he uh, well, yeah, First, at the end of the tewah, I'll mention this at the end because I asked them the same thing I asked other people. When I was working at Brandis before Smira, people would call me rabbi. Do I need to protest? And he said no. He said that if if you feel that it has a spiritual value, uh, you can you do it. Uh. And that's why when I see people, you often find people who are called rabbi and you know, for a factor he signed, for a fact that they never got some but uh, they're doing a good job.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: So Uh, I guess it's fine. And he says it follows. And the title rabbi also has been used in opposition to the cat rights. So therefore, if you're called rabbi, it's uh. In English referred to it as Rabbi Knight. But in Hebrew, I guess you know, you refer to the the the the non carw rts, you can call them rabbi. So that's what he said, But that the main question I asked him was as follows. And that has to do with the issue of we're gonna be having it soon on pesa. Let me pull up the screen again for you. I'm gonna show you Gamora and really see in Brahos you see the Oh hmhm, hold on a second, I see an I see. I have to find the gamura here. I don't know what happened to my gamura in one ten b okay, I got it. Now, let me share my screen with you. I don't know if you've heard of zu goat zugoat is. There was this idea that if you did thing is in pairs like two four, that it would be problematic because the demons come out and uh, they could cause you problems if you do things in pairs. So uh, the gamura speaks about this, and then in it actually says if you're not particular about it, there the demons don't come after you if you don't care about it, and Ericistral they were in particular. But then the kamara raises the following question. It says, where is it tier? I believe it's hmm, I can't. I thought it was here on one to eleven A, but maybe it's before. Basically they asked yourself about they're wondering, hold on, I gotta find them here. Ah, here there is I think, Yeah, they want to know about we have the four cups? So how how could we have the four cups? Where is it? Anyone know what doffit's on here? I thought it was one twelve, but I could one twelve. Okay, one twelve, but I really have to check. Yeah, ralshi muri mom? Is it one twelve? I mean I'm wrong, but no, that's that's a different that's Chevalri and everything. But uh, okay, well, i'll say it outside. Uh I thought it was I thought it was. I closed it by mistake. I want to show you though. Anyone haven't here, anyone knows whether where the gamar is, Just call out, we'll find it quickly. I thought it was cook gett Alif. I thought it was cookid al If. I'm a it's a a bet, I think so. Okay, yeah, we got our mudic scholars here.
Speaker 2: It was this past job.
Speaker 1: It's cook on the base coff test salmon base. Okay, there you go, Cooff test Samon base. Okay. I want to show you this h gomara because you'll think about it then. Uh. Tonight a short while when we're at the sator coof tests on the base, and I just want to have the English so.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: It is very good. Okay. So the gamara says that you shouldn't do things in pairs. And then they said, and uh, we call it lelmurim, so this is a night pass. Overnight is guarded from demons, and therefore you don't need to worry about pairs. And then they give other reasons, because what about the cups we have? Like here it says, it's like, how could the stages establish a matter I through which one will come exposed on danger? Because it says you shouldn't eat pairs. How can you have uh, you know, four coasts four cups of wine? And then they give reasons, uh, different reasons that the cups are separated, they don't combine them, or it's a lemurim. So you have this idea of zugoat rumbum. Well, even before we get to revolve a rumbaum, the rumbam himself doesn't mention anything about zugoat. And this isn't the only place who has mentioned. It's mentioned in Brooklos also where it says that you shouldn't say, uh, grace after meals of what they call the cup of punishment, and they say, what's that? That's the second cup and Rashi explains there that zugoat caused harm with demons. Now, if you if you look in the Rambam, the Rambam mentions nothing about Zugoat, and everyone has always assumed that that's because the ram Bam doesn't include things dealing with superstitions. There's nothing in demons. The Rambum cuts these all out, and not to mention the fact that the Tomorrow already says that in Ericistral they were not careful about this. However, we have a new book. This book, it's not so new, it's from Revolver I'm being a Ramam, published in nineteen eighty nine, is called The Safer Hammas Speak Well of Deshem, and it's we have a two versions, two two volumes of it. The first volume was published i think in the forties already. It's called The High Waste Perfection. It's published in English, and it was translated by a rabbi in Baltimore called Samuel Rosenblat. Samuel Rosenblat was the son of the great Kazan Yesla Rosenblatt, but he was the rabbi in Beth Tefila in Baltimore. Also JOHNS. Hopkins, PhD. And he translated and in this next section, which now has appeared in English as well, there's a rabbi in Miami who translated it. But this is from the Hebrew of the Arabic. And you see something amazing in here which was completely new, in which a Rambam records in oral teaching his father. These books, to say from Moss Speaker, are important because we hear stuff about the Rumbam that we did not know about. And according to revav be A Rambam, the Rumbum, it's not that the he didn't regard zugoat as superstition. That's why it's On the contrary, he says that the prohibition of zugoat is directed against duelnesst ceremonies. In other words, it's not that we abstain from zugoat, as Rashi explains, because we're worried about demons. No, on the contrary, the sages were concerned about these dualist type ceremonies, which I guess means that if you believe like Zoroastrians, you have the god of light the god of darkness, so you'll do things twice wants to satisfy this god, wance to satisfy the other god. So the way that he Revavram says that the Rambam understood all these things about zu Goat as having to be directed against against these dualist type of ceremonies. Now, why isn't the Ramam included. I guess because there's no more dualism. They don't need to keep people far away from them. But that's what the Rombam says. The me Erie has interesting perspective. He thinks that people were so attached to this that the sages, since it was connected to let's say, Idolatrist type things, the sages moved it away, kept the practice, but moved it into like a Kosher direction. Now I asked, the problem was that the translation is difficult and it's not really clear what he's saying. Subsequently, though people have explained it, they're the way I just told you. So Astra by Masus, I mean Astra by Ratsabi about this, and he says that it does appear to be a problem in the Arabic But and he doesn't think that the fact that they didn't care about Zugat in the land of Israel, that would be enough of reason to say that Rambam doesn't It doesn't follow it. But that's the significant point is we can leave out rhter rats Albi is that revo a Rambam tells us that the Rambam's position on zugat it was not so he didn't think it was superstition. He thought it was the sages legislating to keep people away from practices. This doubling that was done for idolatrous reasons. So that's that's a very significant addition by the revolver Rambam. The rest of the letter is a second here. I asked him about this book, Samos Kodeshol. It says on the title page the Rambam wrote it. And this is with River Sabi's commentary all the throughout the Torah, which names are like Eloheim, Is it holy or is it not? I have to say that today the scholars do not believe that this was written by the Rombam, although I'm not one to pass judgment. Leave it to the great scholars. But what I wanted to send him was material relating to this. But I have to say now, I have a whole section of my library which is all my monodien stuff, and I keep it there because it's quasi my mon of the end. But we assume it's not. It's not by the Ruhmbam. So that's the shame most kadis vahl. That is the end of kuff memhy. The next tchuva which we won't do. But I just want to tell you a story. Is kufmanvov Age three sixteen. It's written to me by a rabbi, Yitzak Kirshkowitz. So who is yak Kerskowitz? I actually met him? How did I meet him? Well, first, let me tell you where he comes from. He is the son of this person. There was a great, great rabbi named Frian Ficial Hirschkammitz. He was a Kousenberger hussed. He died in twenty seventeen. Here's his picture. He was a he didn't write, although he writes many approbations, but he's He was a great tom rochem and a great He was a leading post Sake fran Heschel, official Hirschkimitz in the and for the Kousenbergers. He was like there, leading post Sak. How did I meet him? So this is a good story, it's worth telling you. I just so. When I lived in the Upper West Side, I used to go to the seminary a lot. That's where all the great libraries were I have no idea what's going to be. They just read the seminary library. You can go online, you can see a video. But I'm very skeptical about the future of libraries because now that I have votes Sarrahm on hebrewbooks dot Org, you can access you can access eighty thousand books by your fingertips. So I assume you'll need to rare book rooms and things like that. But is there any future for libraries. I don't know what's said because I spent I spent many great times there. But one of the times I was there, I was in the rare book room because I like to look at manuscripts and uncover things. I like to spend my time in archives. So I realized that for the average person that's not exactly something fun to do, but that's what I like to do. And I go all over the world to go to the different archives and then see the sites. But I love the archives. So I'm there and then you have a rabbi there with a long white beard, with two other people with them, and Rabbi Jerry Schwartzbar who's the director of the rare book Room. He comes over to me and says, do you know who that is? And no, he goes, that's right by Frian Bershkowitz. And you know, and I knew the name, of course, great great post Sake. And it reminded me of a story that Robber Keefa has told many times and even wrote it up in his autobiography, which is called from Washington to Washington something like that, meaning from I guess where he grew up to. Well, I don't even know what the israel I guess I forgot. I forgot the title of the books. I don't know what it refers to, but something like from Washington, Washington Street to Washington, stuff like that. He grew up in the Bronx on Washington Street and he moved to Israel. There's Washington, okay. He tells the story there. He grew up in the Bronx. And one of the big rabbis in the Bronx is Romosha Bick Ramosha Bick, the Big Family. They have his nephews at Gush is one of the rebbies at Gush from the book Big Family, and he's a student of remotion Salva Chic and American and an important rabbiting family. He became the post sake of Borough Park Ashs and that that's Ramosha Bick, his cousin Avram bik Shahuli, the one who edited vergaka Emden stuff is it was a complete communist. I wrote about this from jew but an actual communist. That's a long story. I can tell you another time about him. But Rakefa tells the story. He's in the seminary and he sees Ramosha Bick and he says to Ramosha Bick, coin, but basic farrows, you know a coin and a cemetery here, and you have to know also the seminary. They used to call it in a derogatory fashion, the cemetery. That was one of the ways they would call it. But by saying I don't know if he had that in mind when he said it, or just that what's someone like you Ormosha Bick doing in a place like the seminary. The truth is that anytime you went to the seminary you saw a sidem with peis and long black coats. They will go there because it was an open library. I'm like, why you it's a closed stack. You can't just get in. You need to go get a card and all that seminary anyone could go in. In fact, it became such a problem. I assume it's so called from Jews trying to liberate the books. They had to put in in the late nineties, I think it was early two thousands, a like these metal detectors, because all these books started disappearing, and so they had to put in something to prevent it. So you always would have me coming. But Ramosha Bick's reply was, you know, if the seminary has importance for him, I shouldn't see it. So where if I'm Hirshkovitz was looking at manuscripts in the manuscript room, you know the money. Ivan Bowski gave a lot of money to the seminary, and after his scandal, they took his name off the front. They asked him could they take his name off the front, but they never took his name off the inside. If you go on up to the fifth floor, you had ivan Bowski's name right there, which I guess is okay. He gave the money, and so events met this Rabbi Hirshkavitz, who is an expert in a few different areas. He's published svarim publish stuff from the maral or Shan Nottinsen and I it's just a question, I asked him, and he told me the answer to it. We don't need to go into that. It's just really talmudic. And then the next two to three two vote we don't need to look at either. They're one from Bjos V. Lieberman, who's a big posting in an Ay Brock, and two from Rashul Ashkenazu. We go out the great bibliographer who they I just received my three volumes of his collected letters. If you love Jewish books and bibliography, it'll keep you up at night. Everyone else that'll put to sleep. I mean, I don't think most people are interested in whether it's published in fifteen twenty or fifteen forty and these sorts of things. But it does have nuggets of brilliance, not brilliant, nuggets of amazing finds in there, things that he knew that no one else did before computers. And these letters all deal with Nittel, terrorist Udy and Christmas Eve, and we had the whole class on that, so I don't need to repeat it. I'll just add about Nittl because afterwards I found out so someone asked me about Erchimbacher, where by Elie Fisher and Israel actually discovered a manuscript which he has published online sections of it in which the Kabosialir mentions Nittel. I dealt with that in my classes, and he refers to it as leel nittol. So I said that the idea of nittel can only comes in later. We see already that even though they were showning just call it nittel, already the Kravosyalir in the sixteen hundreds is also calling it Alel Nittlel. Nittel is nittln. So we can we don't need to go through these two vote just stuff I did in my class. Now we come to page three twenty one. That's what I meant that we're now only about forty pages from the end. And this is Simon Kufner in one fifty. And this is a letter from the lobabachereb, a long letter from the Labavachvi. So I need to explain a bit about how is it that Obama Cherebby's writing letters two letters, one in English and one in Hebrew. It's the only letter in English I've been seeing recently. You know, the ol Babacherebi wrote thousands and thousands of letters, and yet they sell them at auction for a lot of money. So I think I need to put it in good folder to keep it because in case I want to sell it and to well, let me tell you the story about my visit with the Olbabachereby and what led to it, and then there and we'll see what he says in the letter. I grew up in a place called West Orange, New Jersey, and I live there today. I moved back there after twenty years being other places, living in Boston, Brookline, Cambridge, West Hartford, Scranton, New York City, and I made my way to back to West Orange about a mile from where I grew up for the simple reason that it's really the closest community to active community to Scranton and Livingston is really the same thing West Orange. But if you want really an active Jewish community, this is it. But growing up, there was a man in our town and his name, well he still lives in the town is here. He is Rabbi Moshaherson, Rabbi Mosha Hearson. It was originally was a shriach of the Rebbe became. He's the head of the Rabbinical College in Morristown. That's the one of the big yeshivas of for RaBaD, the Asa camp. I went to one summer Gonna stral and he is the head of all hbad in New Jersey. Now what does that mean, the head of all Hbbad in New Jersey. Well, I was looking as I was looking for pictures of him and exactly his his titles. I came across something of interest. Well, as I said, he's the head of it. And I came across the following that are there two rabbad centers in Monroe? This is Monroe, New Jersey. And it explains that there's only one authorized rabbad center. To be an authorized center, the rabbad headquarters based in Brooklyn must authorize you. Viya's regional director, the regional director of the state of New Jersey is right Mosha Herston or Miinal College in Morristown. And it explains that this Rabbi Zakholukowsky is the official shriach and the other one the And here you have the the thing from the based in is not a real shlach. This Rabbi Spritzer does not or Rabbi Karabach. They don't operate under the aegis of Abovich World headquarters. So so that's an important role the Reby herson has. He's in charge of all the Khabbad in New Jersey, and he obviously was very close to the Rebbe because you were in their middal college for all those years that the Rebby was alive. It's an interesting thing about the official Rabbad because what does that mean. Khabbad's a name. You can't copyright it. If I all of a sudden become interested in rashnierz Alman Avladi and I want to open up a center and say the Habbad Center. Just like you can have a Kabala center, you can have a Hbbad center. I don't think there's any validity to a civil suit, so they try to sue them on Bastin and names important. If you look, for example, Bobbo when they had this split, they had to go to Bastin and only one could be bubb of the other has to be I think they called a Bbob of forty five from forty fifth Street. But you have all these independent Rabbad people who you know, the Rebbe's not alive. They can do their own thing. They don't recognize and I think I understand if they want to have a different approach us to tell them that they can't be called hbbad. They are hbbad And but it's not official And a lot of people don't realize this. For instance, this it's a hold on here. The big rabbod place in Ruckers is not. The rabbad house in Rutgers is huge. I've been there, I've eaten there. They have a lot of people sleep there, they have the dormitory and they raise a fortune. People don't realize it's not an official rabbad. It's one of these rebel rabbads that aren't recognized. But does that matter to the average person? What does the average person know the rabbi is a rabbad rabbi. The fact that he's not officially recognized us of no significance or relevance at all to the people who are Ruckers or anyone who gives them money. They don't even know what that means. It's not officially recognized. If you look a little deeper, you'll find the answer that this is what you find on non officially recognized Rabbad. The Rabbad House in Ruckers is a Messianic institution. You do not find this in America at regular recognized Rabbad houses. They don't have all this proper about the Rebbiez Mashiach, but the Rabbad House of Rutgers does. But I've spoken to a number of people and they've told me, well, one of them said he knew all about it, but the others told me that they had no clue and it was never brought up. It was irrelevant. So it's not like the Rabbad House and Rutgers is the Rabbad House in Florence, Italy for those who've been with me, or Venice, where they put up a big sign on the door saying you had the name of Marina Verbin and you could go four years at Rutgers and you can eat there every day and not know that it's a center of false Messianism and that they are not mainstream Rabbad because they don't put it in your face. But that's that's of interest. I think to RaBaD people it's of interest. I don't think it's of any interest to us. But Rabbi Hearson, let's get back to Rabbi Herson. So growing up, of course we knew him. He even was a Massader Kiduchin at my brother's wedding. Well, when I became bar mitzvuot I, I don't remember the exact circumstances, but I had RaBaD connections because we used to go to Mishmar with RaBaD people and we used to have shabatones and Crown Nights. I doviin with the rebby upstairs in the special room there, and we had Khbad people. The school I went to, which is now called the Kushner Academy, was called the Hebreuth Academy. We had RaBaD students with us, even though it's a co ed school. They did not have a school in Morristown like they do today. So all this children, including Rebbie Herston's children, went to this modern Orthodox school until they I think we were eighth grade or maybe sixth grade, and then they moved them to a Habad place in Crown Night. So the girl I was Rabbi Zuweebo, very important rabbi in Marstown. His daughter was in my class. We had eight boys one girl just her. Couldn't have been an easy experience but her father was. I think they called them the headmashpia, as I call it. In Morristown. She was with us till eighth grade. And all the Rabbad people in Morristown and in the area there were other Habad people who lived. They all sent their children for Menary school to the Hebrew Youth Academy Rabbih Oberlander in Budapest actually discovered this, which I knew nothing about. He's reading old Rabbad materials and all, and behold here it is. It says South argein Jersey. That's where my school was, although by this time and I moved to West Caldwell, I was in West Orange. But I had no idea that. In this Rabbad newsletter not newsletter Little Tory Journal from nineteen seventy nine, one of the mozotovs of the bar Mitzvahs is me mal Mark Shapiro. But so before I was bar Mitzvad. I'm not sure if I asked. I know I didn't ask. I'm not sure if my father asked, or Rebbie Herson himself did it. He asked, wuld I like to have yochidros with the rebbe I understand that Shmimi at Saras of the nineteen seventy seven the Rebbe had a heart attack in the middle of Hakafos in front of all Is Calcidi. And after that it was not RaBaD nikin to go win, but other people did not go win. It was very hard to get into see the rebby, but by Hearson. Of course, he is one of the leading figures in Khabad. He could make it happen. So he did make it happen, and we had yahiros with the Rebbe. The Rebbe gave me a dollar. I don't know where the dollar is. I didn't take it seriously. I didn't frame it or anything. When the book came out, he had all these people, all these two of them actually who contacted me tell me about the meeting with the Rebbey. Like I remember nineteen seventy nine, it's I who was there. It's nothing he talked to My father really didn't speak to me. That will see the letter. But it was a big deal for Rabbad because you understand the people, the young Kabbadi were growing up today. They just know the videos they so and I guess they thought it'd be interesting to speak see what I my impressions were of the Rebbe. I was twelve years old at the time. So he went to the Rebbi and we had yachidras with the Rebbe, which probably lasted, you know, three four minutes, and and that was that. However, shortly after that and we're have to do this next class, my parents get a long letter from the rebbe in English, not typed but with his handwriting. Actually he added anythings on the side. Not a typical just stay you know, the three four line letters. I got the typical three four line letter, which i'll I'll just show you one thing about it. But we'll deal with the letter to my father next class. In the letter to me, which is not a significant letter, it's a standard letter, he just says that calls me Havrejamen that now that you're thirteen years old, is when you're a bar mitza mitzvos. You should grow to ben rameishes the mission says and others. Then you'll that's when you do gumara. And then he says you should increase your learning bitrusa nigla in the open torah andsidos. And he's telling me this modern nor thask kid, you should also wear rasidus and uh you know, be careful keima Mitzvos, and then he says that God should bring you success Leos. This is what the Rebbe says, Leos, Grasid Eurasia Mayam v Lamdan, that you should be look the order he puts it in. You should be a husted a fear of God and a tora scholar. Now I just googled it this this morning at Hama. This is a standard uh formula used by the Rebi. In fact, I even found it the rayats his predecessor, and you can find this in hundreds of cases. This is what they wish, like when they wish bar mits the boys, or they wish others that you'll grow up, you'll be a hassideration mind Valamdan. But Hasid goes first, and hassid doesn't mean just a pious, it means a husted h. So I find that of interest. I know I'm going to have we have a number of rabadniking with and especially Nacham who's uh no, not nach Schamrio who helps me a lot, and he I'm sure I'll have a lot to say about uh no, no, sorry not that's the full name his first name. He's a double name. I won't give away his last name. If you listen to Raquefete, you've heard his name mentioned numerous times. He's gonna have a lot. I'm sure to tell me about this phrase because he's very wounded. But so the rebeby said, I should be so well. Next week we're going to see, uh, what the rebby had to say to my parents. The fact really my father but addresses it because my father's historian. So it's a it's a very interesting letter what the rebbe has to say. And then we're going to hear from rehearsal chacter information that I don't think untill was written down here was ever recorded. And well, as I said, we're only about forty pages from the end, so we're making progress and we're not going to go fifty five. So let me take the questions and the comments here. We'll meet one more time before Pesach. I don't know if I mentioned it. You can listen. I gave the talk last year on kidney, so you can hear that if you're interested. During the week Monday night, two weeks from tonight, where Asriel says that Beryl AZA's father is the shliach there. Yeah, there's there's a few people in Milan. The thing about Milan is that their Beryl Aazar, the chief Rabbi of Russia. You have some messy on this types there also, so they have berger made a big deal about how can we trust their wine? But Milan has a real rabbad presence there. Yes, and Beryl Azar's is the brother in law of Ruby Oberlin or a Budapest who if you ever make your way to Budapest. He is an unbelievable personality, as is Beryl Lazar. What he's been able to accomplish and achieve there is simply incredible. The Misnagdine always liked to criticize. I remember during the Olympics when they had the Olympics there, Rabbi Lazzar was invited by Putin, so I went to the opening ceremony and then he flew back and this was aer of Shabis and he couldn't get back to his house, so he walked like ten miles on Shabis to get you know, surrounded by security, to get home. So everyone was mocking him. This is a rabbi, you know, air of Shabas he should be home and say he's going to the Olympics. What kind of idiots these people? If Putin's like the Czar. If Putin tells you, I want you to come to the Olympic Games, of course you go there. He'd even have a head there to fly on Shabists. If the games were on Shabis. There's no question to the head there. Because it's if a Jewish person in Israeli, someone gets arrested for drug dealing, Putin can reach the UH. Putin can call up the Kremlin, and I mean it's not Putin. Razark can call the Kremlin and get put through to Putin. Putin actually sent Lazare to Iran to visit the Jewish community last year. It's real pu Nephish. So the idea, whatever Putin says to Lazar to do, of course Lazarre should do it. You don't tell Putin, I'm not coming to your games. Lazarre and he's done great things in Russia. David says, I I didn't continue reading the midrash that only one man in a thousand will exell on gamorrow, while zero women will zero women in Okay, hold on uh, It says well, because the pussic is uh here whether they're giving a drusha as follows. Let me pull it up on the screen here for you so you see what. David, thank you again as always David for this. They're making a drushia on this is Cohells Ecclesiastes Paraxion. So here take a look at the puscle here in pussk Twenty eight, it's saying Coelis is saying, not one man among a thousand have I found? But a woman among those have I not found? Uh? Now, whatever the context is in Cohales the contrastit is cohls they the mid rush was using it h to speak about learning. But then it says but hold on. But right after they quote the Midrash about the Gamara, then this is another interpretation. I found one man of a thousand, it's Avraham, and a woman among those are not found. That's Sarah. But I'm looking at it. I don't see where it says David. I'm just looking at the Midrash here where it says that women no women. I mean, that's the implication, of course, but doesn't say it explicitly. It's not referring to that. The focus is on the men they're learning. Let's go back to the questions here. Scholars do not take Belle says, do not take most of his books seriously. And he's not the first one to write a book like that. Yes, they did not take it seriously. Schmoal says is the Rumman's inauthentic Ethical Will, where the Rummo was reputed to have said the Chmelunda's brains were frozen up north. Yeah, that's that's that's it. And uh, he says, because they eat all all terrible food, it's all sorts of bad stuff. David says in Rashaum Karmi's Jewish Philosophy course, he brought in Sphikolitz to deliver a guest lecture on yessla raka for Ah. That's that would be nice not to hear. Of course, in those days the wouldn't have taped it. Then they didn't have children. Ah. Someone texting me something about the Krazonish and his wife. I will be dealing with the person who this person refers to in a future post. Barry says him Grata, who is a Tom of the Hasnich, talks about the difficult marriage in his books Yeahsviijahuda, who I'm going to be dealing with this figure, this cousin Niche had a student called Spijahuda, And I'm going to in my next post reveal very interesting stuff about this relationship of Spijahuda and and the but and anyone who the Krasnich knew this and look, it's not that it happens. And who says just because he's going to be stroll that has to have a perfect marriage. We have a talk by on our website. In my post I linked to it. Okay, thank you, okay. Who was Rajoel Margolis husband from Hias that's Mordeheim Margolios. Suzana says there were women composers who had to hide the fact that they are women in order to be published. Yeah, and there was a in the Haadi world. Sometimes what they do is they use the initial. They don't do their full name. They'll use their initial Ravarra. Nicholstein's mother published material intels. They had a tor A journal there and she published it under a pseudonym because it wasn't appropriate, they thought, but for women to be writing terrorst stuff. As Reel says, he heard the story from Nutton Green Blat, who is probably the soul survivor of the Roughs coll You mean Israel the story that he woke up in the middle of the night. I mean it could be more than one. It might have happened more than once. But I heard it from I can't remember his name. He's professor of economics at George Mason Well says, maybe writing but don't rely on my PSAC is a way of setting a quasi precedent that could be used in subsequent generations. That is your convincer of the review, but don't feel the time is right. Well, that's what he says. He says, I leave it here until what he says as follows. Reva Mazous says, after giving us all the reasons should be permissible, he says, but I don't want people rely on me a shikimjameador until the great stages agree with me, and if they don't agree, then it should be So that's why asked for Schachter. And he says it makes perfect sense. And then I says, okay, So can I tell people you're mutterit that he didn't want to and it's not because he's afraid believe your Schechter says all sorts of stuff that his handlers always have to then retract it and find it a way out because they feel it they don't want him. He has these handlers who have to you know, He'll say, uh, they they had to. They took out of the website, the Jewish Press website when I showed you that he mottered swordfish, even though everyone knows it. He's been saying it for years. So they have these people who protect him, as it were in quotes. So it's not that he didn't know if he wanted to mutter it, but just because the law makes sense, you need to think about it. But you're right what you say, Schmool that he's writing it. But the question of the question is stey remed is stemed quotes sources that say you can ignore the last piece and just follow everything else. A good example of Thisscobromsky has a long chuva. It's printedents, it's alizer. I'm not sure lying four or five why gelatine is permitted, And at the end he says, but we can't permit it because even tho it's permitted, we can't permit it because we've been accustomed not to eat gelatine in this country, stuck in England, and people will say that, well, that means a lot of changes, just like the conservatives. It raised an interesting question. He's just told you it's permitted, So what happens if you eat it? What have you viuated? But if you look, Hesco Bromsky's Chuva is often quoted by people to support the fact that gelatin's permitted, even though le mice in the end he ruled no for metahaloic reasons. And that's in line with the day Rehmed who says that you can actually you don't need to listen to the the end, because you could say that only refers to that time, or he's just hesitant. But we we accept him even though he doesn't want to accept himself. Barry says remote pinks Scheimber was tom what remotion salvation from whom he received smirrraen and then graduated Brooken College and married a girl from her and Falley and went to Mirror. I didn't even I didn't know that he received from smigra from it from uh ramotion salivation. That's uh. I didn't know that that's who he received Smira from where. Okay, I I knew he went there, but I didn't know it was Ramosha. He had other people. I thought it was the Matrix tour. But uh, I'm let me look online quickly. Here. Oh it says no, it says it says Romotion Salvation. I guess and I'm just okay. Wikipedia, Roby, Victor Miller, Reserve, Mosha, Bickerm Gifter, and Robe Vachtol. He's from Lakewood, so uh. Someone privately says that the warning in Devinian scene was aided by the publisher. Well, that's the Sun. The unpublished it, so you could say that, maybe, uh, it's just the Sun, it's not the Vincio could be. Barry says, there a back of Baltimore told us the story of the road of waking the kids up at two a m. He went to. But you know it probably was more than once, because I don't think they were all there at the same time. David says that doctor Avie Stolman is the person who hired doctor Joel Finkelman, but he's not there anymore at the library. He's had he's at Barilan there. Oh, very nice, thank you for correcting that. He also has a PhD. And he wrote on Talmud. I think it's an if not mistake. And I studied with Shama Friedman. But he's also a love and he wrote a volume of shows and Chuvos now says Zugot. We're in da Fiomi a few days ago at Skier. I don't do daffiomi. Uh, let's see from Washington Avenue to Washington Street. Thank you. iPad says that JP has put in tables with glass tops because of the liberation Theftish in this renovation. If you there's a very nice video with David Kramer's the library and discussing how they have to have to re imagine libraries in the digital age. Israel says, with the cosumer Hasidim in publicly they visit the jats. I don't know, but why not. He's going there to get the manuscripts. Manuscripts are always published, and they always thank in the introduction the seminary for letting them. And all these people have to go to the seminary to see it. I've seen other great Doris scholars at the seminary. You're going to the library, You're going to look at the manuscripts. Look, we go to the Vatican to see manuscripts. Barak says that the largest lebot house in the world, that's Rutgers is the largest one in the world. I don't know if it is is official Rabbat and unofficial depend on Messianic views. What I was told is that none of the official ones are Messianic. But I think even if you're not Messianic, if you just decided to open up a Rabbat house to say I'm going to open a Rabat house you don't ever have by Hearson's approval, then you're unofficial. But the idea that then they're going to bring you to Bastin because you don't have the right. I don't know who can copyright Abad as a philosophy, just like I could open up and say I'm a summer, I'm a litfish or something. So for an I guess if you're a Habad person, this is a personal thing, and it's it's distressing if you're like a mainstream of Kabbad that these independent people are opening and they're not in line with the mainstream, are opening up and calling a khabbad. But for outsiders who just want kosher meals and a shabis Uh I was in India. You think that people, these independent ones in New Jersey are may be a little bit off. You go to India, they're completely whacked out, even though they have amazing Masiris Nephish to live in India. But they I opened up I published this on the sparing Bog. I opened up the sparring. They have a stamp there saying that the date was it Gimo tamos. Nothing happened, everything is the same. They don't believe. They believe the grave is empty. I mean, you have some real craziness going in India, Zev says or by Kawfmoor Wassi's teacher of the Baba Shiva and Newark in nineteen sixty three. Yes, so Boward saysdr Issham. I'm sometimes they read rayal, they abbreviate it correct and you're Rayal. In the Army of Ashem. When I was in Gania Cerral day camp, we were all inducted. We got our flags and we were inducted in Civo Sachem in the Army of Ashm and we sang we want Machier now, and we did not sing about the Rebbe. This was in the mid seventies, we did not have the rebbe in mind. Maybe in the secret that's what they thought, but we just we They never ever told us anything about the Rebbe as machir Ah. So Naftali says that Bignell and Brown's book on the Cousination showed you. That book, the Big One, discusses the shidoh and the marriage and quotes call its extensively, and he really it shows the cosnation of Sidcus. I'm sure he mentions it as well that the cosation was deceived about her age and when he found out, he refused to break the shioch and there might have been an other issues and they couldn't I've had children. He refuses to embarrass her, And I mean that's so that's that's told about what a sadiki is. That that's beyond the call of duty, obviously, but that's the rasiche. We're not all the David says that when Raviral Lensin was walking Crown Knights in the fifties, he crossed the rebby as they were walking and after brief is change the Rebbie reminder of aral l scene that years o Kodemus Ramasseo so you're in good company. But yeah, but uh, it's one thing that year us should go for a sparhasidus? What am I planning to do in these classes? When I finished viewing a safer while the plan was that someone important suggested it. Do Shan Liberman take you into the world of American Orthodoxy and conservative Judaism. There's a lot to do with Shaw Liberman and Barrosas. Who gave the hector to fight the Olympics on Shapis. No one gave the heatter to fight the Ompics on Shapas. The Olympics weren't on Shampus. Who was there? Of Shabas? What I said was that at the first day of the Olympics was let's say, on a Friday night, and the only way or let's say it was a two day holiday and the only way to get there was to violate it or something like that. Uh you, whatever it is. I I had no doubt there'd be a hector for it, for it's only a durabonn And this is a case it would be nephisch if if you have to or have to if the if putin were to send a car let's say, it's shop this afternoon and Putin's car rolls up and says that it's a jurgent. Putin says that Rebec Glazar has to come to him. You think, uh, any post Sake would say, of course Lazar could get in the car and go there. It's it could be a matter of puch Nephish. We have no idea how many Jewish lives. And the important matter is Rebel Lazar because of the fact that he can pick up the phone and call Putin, how much good he has done. And uh, we know there's all sorts of terror for people who are close to the Melek. So I'm just saying hypothetically, if that was, if that was the case, uh, that you could definitely find a hector for that much easier than all these other htarium for people working government. Yeah. Well, well, Lasar's congregation might be small, but he controls the entire your former Soviet union. And it's all rabbad. Other than a show here and a show there, It's it's all rabbad. So yes, someone puts a Rubi g Relic was the the RaBaD and Milan, Yes, he passed away, David says regarding Rabbie Lamb typing one of the holy names. Many posts them say that any writing such is typing, which is not kosher. As her safer tour is not prohibited writing and he gives sources. Okay, so thank you for that, so you wouldn't need to if it's not type of And you know this also relates to the question I spoke about Bethel. Remember the old question about Bethel. If you write Bethel, it's not a Hebrew that was the question, could you do it or not? And we spoke about that, and Mel says he attended classes given by Shuda at BRS and Boca. Yes, I will deal more as I said with Jahuda. Rabbi Wakfogo was a student Nussen Vachvogel was a student at Yeshiva College. Either of Cook biography or Cook biography done. We just gotta these aren't these academic books are not like books that in the where you just finish it and you then publish it. Yeah, you have readers and you have other things. And okay, everyone, thank you. Well, we one more class before Paysach. We'll pick up with the Bob Jura's Rebby's Letter to my Family.
Speaker 2: This series was originally recorded in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one as part of an ongoing lecture series. To sign up to attend the lecture on zoom, please visit tournmotion dot org. Please rate and review us in your favorite podcast app, or even better, tell a friend to give a podcast to listen