Speaker 1: Talking this week with our retirement planning professionals from Class Financial, Malia Quavis and Kyle Kite. If you've got a question for Millie and Kyle, love to have you join us this morn and tell number to get on the air six oh eight three two one thirteen ten. That's six oh eight three two one thirteen ten. We're going to be talking with Millie and Kyle will be talking.
Speaker 2: About rollovers this week.
Speaker 1: But if you have anything retirement related to any type of question, Malia and Kyle are here to answer your question. Telphonn ombver here at station to get on the air six oh eight three two one thirteen ten. That's six oh eight three two one thirteen ten. You can learn more about Class Financial on their website classfinancial dot com. That's Class k LaaS Financial dot com and their telephone number six oh eight four four two five six three seven. Don't forget no charge for that initial get to know you appointment Tech Loss Financial. It will be complementary to you again their number six oh eight four four two five six three seven joining us this morning. As mentioned Malia Quavis and Kyle Kite. Malia, how the heck have you ben my friend, very.
Speaker 3: Good, Happy spring.
Speaker 1: It's here, it is, it is. It looks like some great days ahead.
Speaker 2: Kyle. How have you been doing. It's been a while too talking with you.
Speaker 4: Doing good.
Speaker 2: It's good to talk with both of you.
Speaker 1: And as mentioned, we're going to be talking about retirement accounts, rollovers, maybe switching jobs or of course as you near retirement you really start to pay closer attention to these type of things. We'll talk about some of the stuff that you need to have in mind and need to be doing, some actions you need to be taking with our retirement planning professionals this morning, and just a moment, a couple of things mentioned the website COSS Financial dot com. Don't freak can listen back to this and previous shows podcasts all online at that website class financial dot com. That's coss k l aas financial dot com. You can also sign up for the weekly Market Pulse newsletter right online again. They're telephone number six so eight four four two five six three seven. Later on the show, we're going to be doing the Class Quiz question the week, another chance for you to win a fantastic prize. This week, our friends at Costs Financial have provided a twenty five five dollar gift card to ihop tell you a little bit later on in the program how you can win that little tipto. Oftentimes, just about every week, the question and answer come up during the program, and before we get rolling on this week's conversation, let's actually look back at last week's show, Malia and get the Claws quiz question and answer there as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, one of our favorite topics around here is discussing Medicare. So last week's question was, according to Medicare dot gov, Medicare is a federal health insurance program in the United States for people. What age you're older? So his multiple choice was at age sixty two, sixty five, or sixty seven, and Pat called in with a correct answer. Congratulations to her. Medicare is available to you at the age of sixty five, So Sean, you cannot sign up yet. Okay, take note of that, But congratulations to Pat, and thanks everyone for listening and calling in for answering that question.
Speaker 2: It was a fantastic show as well. Good folks.
Speaker 1: If you want to listen back, you can always head on over to class financial dot com. That's class financial dot com. Somedays I feel sixty five or older.
Speaker 3: Moly, I don't know, we all do, we all do.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that counts for much, So of course we might be.
Speaker 1: You know, as we talk about approaching retirement and switching jobs, I know a lot of folks reach out to you if they've got maybe an old retirement account to roll over, and Kyle, I got to ask, what should they know before making making any kind of moves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great question, Sean. So these jobs, it's very common that they leave behind an older timement plan, an old four and K or a four H three B something like that. So some of the stats around this are According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, individuals between ages eighteen and fifty two may change jobs up to twelve times, and many of those jobs likely included an employer sponsored retirement planning like a four oh one K, four H three B simply er A or a set by RA. So it's very common that, you know, when you're switching jobs, sometimes these things you kind of forget about once while, and people will come and see us ten or fifteen years later and like, oh, yeah, I had all these old things out there that I forgot about. So if you have an old retirement account, it's important to understand your options before you may so many people choose to roll their funds into the new employer's plan, which allows for easier account management and avoids immediate taxes or penalties. But there's some other options that you have out there as well. So the first one, and the one that we probably recommend the least, would be to just cash out the four one K. So while it may seem tempty, to be careful here because there's some significant financial consequences, the big one being that the entire balance of what you cash out becomes taxabile income in the year that you withdraw it, and if you're under the age of fifty nine and a half, you'll likely face a ten percent early withdrawal penalty on top of federal and state tag and for many many people, you know, if you're under that age of fifty nine and a half and you cash this money out, you're going to lose you know, somewhere in that twenty to thirty percent range between the the penalty and the taxes on it. So one you know some options where this might work is if you only have a small balance, this might not be a big deal, So think of you know, one thousand, two thousand and three thousand dollars. It's not as big with the penalty and stuff like that. But if you've accumulated a lot of money inside that plan, adding that lump sum to your yearly income could push you into that higher tax bracket as well. So that's part of the reason why we say, you know, it's one of our least recommended options.
Speaker 1: I would say so talking this morning with Malia Kuavis and Kyle Kite, they are our retirement planning professionals from cost Financial. You can learn more online their website costs financial dot com. That's cost k l a a s financial dot com. Fantastic resource to learn more about the team at Costs Financial. You can learn about their separate divisions, how they can help you or if you're an employer as well. They've got a lot of information up on the website costs Financial dot com. There tell for number six, SOH eight four four two five, six three seven, don't forget no charge for that initial gets to know your appointment at Costs Financial. It will be complimentary to you. Again they're number six, SOH eight four four two five six three seven, and it joined us this morning with a question. Now I gotta do is pick up phone, give us call six eight three two one thirteen ten. That's six oh eight three two one thirteen ten. So, Kyle, as you talk about some of the penalties and some of the consequences of doing a four oh one K withdrawal, are there ways to kind of put the genie back in the bottle?
Speaker 2: Are there ways to reverse a four oh one K withdrawal?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so there is, Sean, but you got to be again, very very careful, and you got to do it quickly. So if you act fast, you might be able to undo one of these withdrawals. So this is called a which means redepositing the funds into a qualified retirement account within those sixty days. But you got to remember that generally, when you do a four oh one K cash out, they automatically withhold that twenty percent in taxes, so you're going to have to not only put the money back that they cashed out to you, but also make up those difference in taxes as well. And you can got to keep in mind that you can only do one rollover per year between those iras. So again these are a lot of the things that we have to be very very careful of, and again why we don't recommend this very often for people. So the next option would be to keep your four one K with your former employer. So again this is where people kind of just forget about it and leave it sit there or they don't take any action. Many come the funds in the plane and the money can continue to grow tax deferred. But it's getting more and more common that if your balance is under five thousand, your former employer may eventually ask you to move it. So they'll either push it into an IRA for you, or they'll keep you know, sending you emails or letters in the mail that they want you to move it. And while this option keeps it simple, there's a few drawbacks to this. So the first one is that you can't contribute to the account anymore, so you can't contribute to prior for to one k's, it'd only be current four to one k's or current iras that kind of stuff. And you'll need to monitor your investments to ensure that they align with your risk tolerance. So again, these things can change as you get a little bit older. Maybe you've left it there for twenty years and you're a different stage of life, and we need to tweak those investments that would be one hundred percent on you. And then most plans offer a limited selection of investment options, so your choices may be restricted.
Speaker 1: Aft because not too long ago, I received one of these letters from an employer that I worked at right out of high school. There's less than a thousand dollars, and I felt terrible because I'm like, boy, these poor people have been managing this all about it that I didn't even know existed. But yeah, it does. I guess that's probably quite common. What about we talk about some of the options. What about rolling over your four to one K into a new employer's plan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as we mentioned earlier, this is probably one of the more common options for people. Most four one K plans will allow you to roll over old four to one ks into this new one. So this is a popular choice because it just consolidates things. And you've heard Au say it on the show many many times. We're big fans of consolidation, simplification, and diversification, right, So by consolidating this, it makes it easier to manage your retirement savings and better yet there you don't have to worry about paying taxes or anything like that. It's all tax free. It's not a taxable event, so you're good to go in that respect. And there's a couple of additional benefit fits when it comes to a four to one K. Number one is you've got the Aris of protections offering potential creditor protection. So remember this is where if you're if you are filing bankruptcy things like that, you have creditor protection for retirement accounts, but falls into those Arista guidelines of four to one ks, and your new four to one K maybe you move to a bigger company so they have better investment options or lower fees. This could be an efficient way to grow your savings. And finally, you want to be mindful of your pretext and WROTH balances because they do need to be rolled over properly into corresponding accounts. So going from a four to one K, a traditional four one K to a WROTH four O on and K that could be a taxable event. So you just got to be very very careful when you're looking at these things.
Speaker 1: Really important stuff to know their As we talked this morning with our retirement planning professionals from Class Financial, Kyle Kite and Malia Quavis. You can learn more about Costs Financial on their website coss Financial dot com. That's coss k l aas Financial dot com. They're telephone number six so eight four four two five six three seven. No charge for that initial get to know you appointment tech Costs Financial h we will be complimentary to you again. They're telephone number six so eight four four two five six three seven. You're saying, well, rolling it over a four oh one K into a new four oh one K.
Speaker 2: Is one thing.
Speaker 1: What about an IRA? We'll get the details on that. We'll do it next as Money in Motion with cost Financial continues right here on thirteen ten. WIBA join this week by Malia Quavis and Kyle Kite. They are our retirement binding professionals from COSS Financial. The website cossfinancial dot com. It's coss k l Aasfinancial dot com. Great resource to learn more about COSS Financial, how they can help you if you're an employer. Also, I'll learn how they can help you.
Speaker 2: Also.
Speaker 1: There's different divisions of COSS Financial. It's all really really nice on the website Colssfinancial dot com. While you're there, If you haven't signed up yet for the weekly Market Pulse newsletter, I strongly urge you to do that. I signed up probably ten years ago. It's a great it's not spam or anything like that. It's like once a week you'll get an email and it gives you a little snapshot of what's been going on in the markets, things you need to know about. Linked to the most recent podcast as well, and that's free to you at Classfinancial dot com. Speaking of things that are free to you, that first appointment no charge, It is complementary. All I gotta do is make that appointment by calling Class Financial office right here in Madison six oh eight four four two five six three seven. Again that telephon number six O eight four four two five six three seven talking rollovers this week with Malia and Kyle, and we left off talking about rolling over your old four oh one K into your new four to oh one K and Malia, I have to imagine that a common option for folks is maybe rolling over that old four oh one K into an Ira.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, as as always when we're speaking about things you can do or shouldn't do, as you you know, look at your retirement accounts, we would just advise slow down, just slow down, And this option comes up, you know, probably the most frequent out there, one of the most frequent choices aside from people say I'm just going to cash out the whole thing, which Kyle clearly told us not to do that. So so when we say down, we want we want to make sure that you understand what you're doing and your choices. And so if you decide to roll over your four oh one K, you will open up an IRA. You can do that by yourself, you can do it at your local bank, you can do it with your financial advisor. And really the objective here is to take your traditional four oh one K or four O three B and you would move that potentially into a traditional IRA. Or similarly, if you had a wroth four oh one K balance, you would want to make sure that is transferred into a wroth IRA at any of these different institutions. So what you need to keep in mind if you do decide to go with choice number five here rolling that those retirement funds into an IRA, you have to understand this is not a taxable event, certainly not the WROTH. Everyone understands that that money went in after you paid taxes on it, and we'll continue it will continue to grow tax tax tax free. However, the pre tax accounts, the those will not create taxes until you take them out somedays, so keep that in mind. Not a taxable event. However, as we mentioned before, if you withdraw those funds the pretax from the IRA before the age of fifty nine and a half, you'll likely face a ten percent early withdrawal penalty. So why would you even put it into an IRA. Well, an IRA is going to give you more flexibility for distribution, so that is a common reason people will decide to go this way. So unlike four oh one K plans, they generally have stricter withdrawal rules. And you know, people don't like to have handcuffs on their own money, you know, so they like the opportunity to say and depending on where they're at in life, maybe they're getting very close to retirement, they want to be able to control the way in which their IRA assets are invested, and if they want to take money out of them, they want to be able to do it at their discretion. So some key considerations for why people do choose to do a roll over. Besides, the flexibility would be investment selection. So you know you're in an IRA, you're able to choose an investment strategy that maybe aligns better with your time horizon and also your risk tolerance. For example, you might want to invest in a CD within an IRA because that might offer you lower risk, but we have to keep in mind that might offer minimal growth as well, whereas a diversified portfolio of stocks and bonds could provide better long term potential. So we're not here to say that there aren't four oh one K four three B plans out there that don't have, you know, a host of selections, but they typically have less selections out there choices for you to make, so that again going from ten to one hundred choices or beyond might be important for you. Fees is another reason to con that are making the choice or not. You have to understand there's investment fees associated with both your old four oh one K and also the new IRA, and so leaving it behind might be the right choice because their fees are considerably less potentially, but again your choices might be limited as well. Timing in RMD rules is the next area. If you retire between the ages of fifty five and fifty nine and a half. And again this goes back to my beginning point, slow down, slow down. If you're retiring between those ages, our suggestion might be leave your money in that four oh one K because that may allow you to withdraw funds penalty free, whereas rolling it into an IRA could delay that option until age fifty nine and a half. So what I'm talking about here is for persons who are approaching the age of fifty five still working for the company. It's called separation of service at age fifty five, and they are potentially looking to completely retire, and they need to develop an income stream. If we're able to take money from that four to oh one k again before we've ever moved it over to an IRA. If we can start taking it from the four to oh one K, you will still have to pay taxes on that, but coming out of that vehicle will prevent this age fifty nine and a half termination fee, so to speak, this penalty. So we've done that with many many clients. It's an important thing to know before you just, you know, blatantly, Oh, I'm just rolling all over to an IRA, and I'll deal with it later. This could actually create some good income for you and not cause you to have that penalty, So make sure you know you're timing. Another area certainly is required minimum distribution. So we've got clients, I'll be honest, they work into their eighties. Not that you want to shine, but the rest.
Speaker 2: Of many people I'll like to work.
Speaker 3: But if you plan to work past age seventy two, and you're keeping funds in a current employer's four oh one K, that will allow you to continue to defer rmds until you stop working. So again, these people I'm speaking of are continuing to feed their four oh one ks and they are not forced to take rmds out. And RMDH today, of course is seventy three, so it's amazing you can continue to contribute and you're not forced to take out the required minimum distributions. And finally, wroth conversions, So if you roll traditional four to one K assets into a wroth ira, as Kyle mentioned earlier, taxes are due at the time of conversion, so you just want to be careful, don't rush through it. Get some good advice as to your situation and what you should do when you do leave an employer and those retirement assets.
Speaker 2: Great advice this morning.
Speaker 1: As we talked this morning with our retirement planning professionals from Class Financial, Melia Quavis and Kyle Kites, don't forget. You can learn more about Class Financial their website coss Financial dot com. Great website, coss Financial dot com. That's k l aas Financial dot com. They're telphone number six oh eight four four two five six three seven. No charts that initial gets to no deployment at costs Financial. It'll be complementary to you again that number six oh eight four four two five six three seven. So Kyle, what if I have maybe employer stock in my four oh one k? Anything I need to consider? There any special considerations in that area.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great question, Sean. And this is this is a very can be a complex strategy until you get your arms around it. But there's something called a net unrealized appreciation. So this is a tax advantage way to transfer stock from your four oh one k into a taxable account while benefiting from the longer or lower long term capital gains. Tax rates get into this makes I just want to let everybody know we're not tax accountants. So always consult your CPA before making this decision, because, as I said, this strategy can be a great thing for some people, but you have to understand what you're getting into. So here's how it works. So typically, when you pull money out of a four to one K, as we've been talking about, your withdrawals are going to be taxed as or so again, whatever tax bracket you're in when you pull as those funds out, that's the tax rate you're going to pay. However, under the NUA strategy, the growth on employer stock qualifies for the lower long term capital gains tax rate rather than being taxed as ordinary income. So again, think of this as if you've got employer stock inside your foural one K. This is where an anyway strategy could come into play. So what the big thing that you have to be aware of, though, is that the original cost basis of the shares is subject to ordinary income tax when distributed. So I'm going to give you an example to kind of bring all this together. So let's say the cost inside your four oh one K is one hundred thousand dollars, meaning that's what you've paid for it, or that's what it was worth as the company was great, and you shares throughout the years, but today when you go to retire, those same shares excuse me, are worth a million dollars, So one hundred thousand dollars basis of million dollars of gain if you elect the any income tax on that one hundred thousand dollars of basis that I just mentioned, but that remaining nine hundred thousand a million minus the hundred That remaining nine hundred thousand is going to be taxed at long term capital gains tax rates, which for most people is a lot more favorable because the maximum long term capital gains rates actually twenty percent, but most people pay somewhere around fifteen percent for long term capital gains. So these transactions are most beneficial when you've seen substantial growth. So kind of like what I was just explaining out in my example there. But you've got to be remember there's a few things that have to be met for this to work. So there has to be a triggering event such as a retirement, losing your job, or turning fifty nine and a half. That could be what needs to happen. But the entire four to one K plan must be emptied in one calendar year, so again doesn't mean it all has to come out at one time. You just have to do the NUA transaction and roll the rest of the money out of the four oh one k in the same calendar year. And that stock must be moved in kind. So if it's whatever your employer's stock is, it has to stay those shares into this new tax will brokerage account. As soon as you move it. You can always sell those shares, but it has to move in kind like that. So these strategies can certainly reduce overall tax liability. They also remove these assets from the tax deferred environment of a retire not right for everybody, as we've been kind of explaining.
Speaker 2: Here talking this morning with Kyle Kaite and Maliakuavis.
Speaker 1: They are our retirement planning professionals from Class Financial. The website COSS financial dot com. That's Coss k l aas Financial dot com. They're telephone number for the office right here in Madison, sixt'h eight four four to two five six three seven. No charge for that initial get to know your appointment. Tech Loss Financial complementary to you again their number six oh eight four four two five six three seven. Kyle any final thoughts on on on the old four one ks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's definitely something to be aware of, and obviously Malia kind of mentioned this too. If you're considering rolling over at old four oh one, k, take the time to evaluate all your options and consult with the financial professional to make the most informed decisions. We said, there's a lot of kind of steps you got to be aware of here in places to make a misstep, So you definitely want to get some help when you're considering these things.
Speaker 1: Really important guidance this week, as always from our retirement planning professionals from Class Financial, I mentioned the website Cossfinancial dot com. One thing I haven't mentioned is you can submit a question right online for the Money and Motion listener question corner. As a matter of fact, coming up to the next segment, we will answer Martha's question. We'll also do the COSS Quiz question week. You're going to want to sit tight for that. More of Money in Motion with Coss Financial comes your way next right. You're on thirteen ten WIBA talking this week with our retirement planning professionals Malia Quavis and Kyle Kite. Of course they come to us from Class Financial website Coss Financial dot com. That's Coss Klaasfinancial dot com. Tell phone number six oh eight four four to two five six three seven. No charge for that initial get to know you appointment at Class Financial. It will be complimentary to you again their number six oh eight four four two five six three seven. Hold on to that telephone number as a well. Coming up a little bit later in the segment, we'll do the Class quiz Quench leak your chance to win a twenty five dollars gift card to IOP. Before we get to that, another really cool thing that folks are able to do is email a question for the Money in Motion listener Question corner and Martha road in. She says, I'm turning sixty five soon and eligible for Medicare, but my spouse is still working and will be uh and we're covered under their employer sponsored health insurance. Should I enroll in Medicare now or should I stay on my spouse's plan? Malia have at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's a really good question. It's nice to have choices. Let's start there. So, whether you should enroll in Medicare at sixty five or stay on your spouse's health plan? Does depend on a few key factors. So first you're you're gonna want to check can You probably already know this whether your spouse is in play layer has twenty or more employees, So if so, their health insurance is considered credible coverage, meaning you can delay Medicare enrollment without penalties. So in this case, you might choose to stay on their plan, especially if it offers better coverage or lower costs than Medicare. You know, Medicare just to go off. We had a discussion last week on Medicare coverage. It's not that a lot isn't covered on Medicare coverage, but it is different than what you're probably experiencing being under your the employer plan of your spouse, So you do want to understand what you might be giving up if you switched over to Medicare. So, if your spouse's employer has fewer than twenty employees, Medicare does become the prime primary payer for you. Your spouse's plan would only pay secondarily, So in this situation you should you should enroll Medicare Part A and Part B to ensure your full coverage and again avoid potential late enrollment penalty. So the key here. You really want to understand are there twenty or more employees with his company or less? And then also you want to consider the costs and coverage of each option. So Medicare might have lower premiums and out of pocket expenses than your spouse's plan or vice versa. But if you do end up choosing to delay Medicare, you're going to want to sign up during the Special Enrollment Period the SEP once your spouse retires or or you lose coverage, lose their coverage to avoid late penalty. So do some research. I'm glad you checked in with us and best of luck.
Speaker 1: Really good question, Martha, and another place you can get some more information. As Malia mentioned last week, we did talk about Medicare. Great podcast that's available to you at COSS Financial's website cossfinancial dot com. That's cost k l aasfinancial dot com. Tell for number six O eight four four two five six three seven. No charge for that initial get to know your appointment tech Loss Financial. It will be complimentary to you again their number six oh eight four four two five six three seven. You can you want to hold on to that telephon number now because it's time for the Coss Quiz question of the week.
Speaker 2: It works like this. In just a moment, I'll ask you the class quiz question week.
Speaker 1: You will then have thirty minutes from the inter Today's program to call the Coss Financial Office right here in Madison at six oh eight four four two five six three seven. If you are the first caller with the correct answer, you'll win this week's prize, which is a twenty five dollars gift card to I Hop. This week's class quiz question the week is this true or false? If you take a distribution from your four oh one K before the age of fifty nine and a half, you will likely face a ten percent early withdrawal penalty. Is that true or is that false? Telephone number six oh eight four four two five six three seven. First Garth correct answer won the twenty five dollars gift card to the International House of Pancakes. Also, don't forget that's Class Financials office right here in Madison six oh eight four four two five six three seven. No charge for that initial get to know your appointment at COSS Financial is complimentary to you again their number six o eight four four two five six three seven. Melia Kyle, It's been great chatting with both of you guys. Have a great spring and look forward to talking again real soon.
Speaker 3: Thanks Sean, Yeah, thanks Sean.
Speaker 1: Take care guys, Doctor Marty Greer. She joins us next here on thirteen ten. Wiva