Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 1: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: It is five o'clock, straight up, good morning. It's Monday, June thirtieth. Yep, June is gone. Another one bites the dust. I swear time is flying. Help get a great weekend. I will tell you I channeled my inner chef over the weekend. Don't uh oh will. It was a good thing. So I was watching the chef, not the chef. I was watching the bear, and I guess it inspired me. I put together this charcuterie board and it turned out so cool. And then I made this salad and I made my own dressing. I didn't use store dressing, made it with hot honey and peaches and chicken. I was pretty proud of myself. It was actually surprisingly good. I was like, this could be really gross, but it turned out great anyway. So I hope you had an inspirational weekend as well. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. The Senate is gonna start it so called Bodherama on President Trump's Big Beautiful Bill. This morning, Senate clerks completed the full reading of the tax and Spending package on Saturday or Sunday afternoon, nine hundred and forty pages. They had to read the whole thing out loud. That cleared the way for up to twenty hours of debate. We're gonna be checking in with ABC's Karen Travers in just a couple of minutes to find out if the President can get this one across the finish line. A man believed to have killed two firefighters and injured a third has been found dead. Investigators say the guy set a brush near Corda Lane, Idaho, and ambushed firefighters. About three hundred police officers descended on the area and exchange gunfire with the guy. His name has not been released, but apparently a gun has been found at the scene. ABC's Jim Ryan, who's from Idaho's going to join us with the latest sets coming up at five twenty Lebron James is going to return to the Lakers for his record setting twenty third NBA seasons. Agencies, the forty year old will exercise his fifty two million dollar player option. James could have taken a pay cut to help the Lakers add free agent talent to the roster. Reportedly, he declined. Up with the fourth of July right around the corner, the nightly barrage of fireworks already underway. Oh my gosh, Sunday night boom or not, Actually it was Saturday that was worth just boom, boom, boom, And then of course my ring camera, the notifications start going crazy. Did everybody hear that boom? Did you hear that boom? I'm just like dude, It's fourth of July. Okay, pets are not happy about it. We're going to be joined by internationally known animal trainer Mighty Harriet on how you can keep your animals safe and calm for the fireworks. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Evacuations have been ordered in parts of the Inland Empire because of several wildfires burning in the area. At least five were burning yesterday, creating smoky conditions across riverside in San Bernardino Counties. The largest fire in Banning has burned eleven hundred and sixty five acres and is zero percent surrounded. Several neighborhoods are under evacuation orders. A fire and riverside near Corona was stopped at just over eighty three acres. Other smaller fires are still burning in San Bernardino and in the Silverwood Lake area. News brought to you by Sit and Sleep. An argument has led to a shooting in Long Beach. Police were called yesterday about a man who said he had been shot in a parking lot and then drove himself to the hospital. Hours earlier, in Long Beach, a man was stabbed near Granada Avenue and Ocean Boulevard. Both men are expected to survive. The Los Angeles Urban Policy round Table is calling for emergency action over what it says is a plague of hit and run deaths in South LA. Round Table president Earl Aafari Hutchison says city officials have to declare a hit and run state of emergency because of the surge of killings.
Speaker 4: We've had a continuous surge and hit the one.
Speaker 5: Accidents, killings, drivings, and then a course no one sees anything.
Speaker 1: He says. The latest hit and run killing happened a few weeks ago when a bicyclist was hit by a speeding camaro on Century Boulevard near San Pedro Street. Two men with buckets have gone on a felony fishing expedition in Yukaipa. Balis say the guys stole dozens of koi from a pond outside the Oak House restaurant. One of the alleged fish felons has been arrested, Billy say. Surveillance videos shows the pair making multiple trips to haul off the colorful carp Eighty five fish were taken, each of them worth up to fifteen hundred dollars. Let's say good morning now too. ABC's Karen Travers Karen, President Trump pushing to get his so called big beautiful bill passed by the fourth of July.
Speaker 3: Where are we now, Yeah, they're going to move forward on it. It's a big roller coroaster.
Speaker 6: This week.
Speaker 3: We'll see what happens in the Senate. But over the weekend they voted to move toward debate on the bill. But even that was full of dramatics when you had Senator Ram Paul of Kentucky, Republican voting against it, Senator Tom Tillis of North Carolina, Republican voting against moving forward towards debate, and so they barely got it across the finish line to that point. That's what the President with heralding is a big victory over the weekend just getting to the point of debating the legislation. And Tillis caused quite a big surprise over the weekend in DC when after he voted against that legislation moving forward, he was criticized by the President, who threatened to push for a primary challenger against him in his next re election. Tillis said he wouldn't seek reelection, maybe seeing the writing on the wall of how difficult that could be for him. And Tillis now has come out very strongly publicly criticizing the bill, maybe because he feels free to be more open about it now that he is not running for reelection next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Karen, So that reminded me that there have been several lawmakers who have announced that they're not running again, and it's been on both sides. And I don't know if you have this information, is it is it more than normal or is it just that they're just like going, you know what, I can't do this anymore and thrown up their hands and say them.
Speaker 3: Out Yeah, I don't have the numbers on that. I'd have to look into that for you to see how many and whether or not it's a part of the course at this point.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Tillis is speaking out against it. Elon Musk came out with a rather scathing tweet over the weekend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he said, you know, the cuts to wind and solar incentives were or are utterly insane and destructive. He has criticized the bill after the estimates, but the partisan Congressional Budget Office say that it's going to add more than three trillion dollars to the national debt. That's been a concern from some Republican lawmakers too. So you know, again, we're kind of in an interesting pattern now to see where this goes. You had Republicans who voted to move forward on the debate this weekend, but may not necessarily like the legislation itself. So we're keeping a close eye on some of them as we get closer to a potential final package.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then we know that there are some votes coming up, is that what are those votes? Are those votes on the proposed changes by the Senate or what.
Speaker 3: The Senate has their own bill they have completely rewritten the legislation from what the House has passed. They have their own bill. They're going to vote on their bill, and then it would go over to the House, and the question would be does the House just take it up as is, you know, kind of swallow it and say, fine, we're just going to do this and vote straight up on what the Senate passed, or could you have some very grumbly House members don't like it. They have been pretty public. There's enough over there who have said that they don't like what the Senate has passed and could say that they would take it and want to go back to what they passed, which is very different, and they would have to then reconcile the differences. Yeah, June, it could be a very lot of wonkiness in Washington this week.
Speaker 1: We love wonky, and Speaker Johnson had come out and say and said to the Senate, don't make any changes. It was like so hard to get this.
Speaker 3: Passed right, right, and that was never going to happen. I mean, like, you know how this works. It's the House went and did their work and then they passed it by one vote, and of course the Senate was going to make changes, and even getting to this point was very, very difficult, and it's not even the guarantee of getting it across the finish line at this point because there's still some you know, frustrations on different lawmakers right now of what they do or do not like in this. So they tuned. We'll see how it goes.
Speaker 1: All right, ABC, Scaren Travers, thanks so much for the information, and we'll stay tuned and hopefully talk to you again soon. Absolutely all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. This was a total ambush.
Speaker 3: These firefighters did not have a chance.
Speaker 1: At least two firefighters had been killed another was shot when they were ambushed fighting a fire near Cordelaine, Idaho. The firefighters were responding to a small fire in the mountains yesterday afternoon when a sniper opened fire. Officers descended on the area and fired at the man, who was later found dead and a gun was found.
Speaker 3: Based on the preliminary information, we believe that is the only shooter that was on that mountain at that time.
Speaker 1: The local sheriff said that yesterday they were letting the fire burn and no one was fighting it because of the sniper. A week after the US airstrikes on three nuclear facilities in Iran, it's still not clear if any nuclear material was moved before the strikes. House Democratic Leader Hakim Jeffries is questioning why the administration did not get congression authorization, he says was required by the constitution. I still haven't seen facts presented to us as a Congress to justify that step. He also questions whether Tehran posed an imminent threat. Deliberations are expected to begin today in the racketeering and sex trafficking trial of former music mogul Sean Combs in New York. Attorney Brian Buckmeyer says heavy penalties could be doled out in the case.
Speaker 2: If someone's found guilty of a rico conspiracy, they don't just try to incarcerate the person. They try to dismantle that rico financially, all the homes, everything financially. We heard about the trial, the government could take that.
Speaker 1: Closing arguments were presented on Thursday and Friday. The president of El Salvador has threatened to send inmates from its notorious megaprison over to France because of criticism during Paris Fashion Week of El Salvador's treatment of the prisoners. A collection at the show had models wearing outfits resembling inmate uniforms at El Salvador's Terrorism con Confinement Center or Seacott. Human rights groups have raised concerns about poor conditions at the prison and a lack of due process. Chrysler is recalling more than a quarter million of its vehicles.
Speaker 4: Chrysler is voluntarily recalling some of its twenty twenty two to twenty five Pacificas and voyagers to replace their side curtain air bags if needed.
Speaker 1: ABC's Chuck Siefertson says there are concerns that some of the airbags may not maintain sufficient pressure to inflate during a crash. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says that could increase the risk of passengers or two passengers in certain crashes. Travel experts say they're expecting a lot of people to take Independence Day road trips. More than seventy two million could be on the road for the fourth of July. ABC's Faith Abu Ba says the Auto club has cited some relief at the gas pump.
Speaker 3: Gas prices are now the lowest on average around this time period. Compared to what it was in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: The national average is three eighteen a gallon. In California, prices are going up because of tax and fee increases that kick in tomorrow. The state average today four p fifty nine a gallon. That could change a lot tomorrow. The big Summer block party on the Fourth of July in downtown LA has been postponed. Officials say the celebration at Gloria Molina Grand Park is being put off because of ongoing ice raids. Fourth of July celebrations have also been canceled in predominantly Hispanic communities Bell Gardens, Cuta, hay Boil Heights, El Cerino, Lincoln Heights, and Northeast LA. A mountain lion nursed back to health after surviving being hit by a car, has been released back into the wild. San Diego Humane Society says the mountain lion was hit nearly five months ago and suffered a skull fracture, I trauma and had an injured leg, but she's all better now. She's ten month old and was released into a remote area of the Santa Anna Mountains in Orange County. It was dad to the rescue when a girl on a Disney cruise went overboard. The girl fell off the ship yesterday as it headed back to Fort Lauderdale from the Bahamas. Her dad jumped in and with the help of rescue cruise, they were able to save her. Now they're investigating why the girl went overboard in the first place. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan. Jim, this isn't supposed to happen to firefighters. Tell us about the fire in the mountains of Idaho and what happened.
Speaker 4: Well, right yesterday about midday Sunday in the Canfield Mountain, which is outside of Quarterlane, firefighters got a report of fire out there, a brush fire in the woods, and so they did what firefighters do and responded out there and almost immediately came under fire. So what it was shooting at A sniper in the woods shot and killed two firefighters, wounded a third. That third one has been through has been through surgery and is expected to rick cover from his wounds. We believe that there are three male firefighters. Now the investigators swarmed into the area some three hundred law enforcers to try to find the person responsible. They had a pretty good piece of technology to help them in that search. Amy, they saw a cell signal, a constant cell signal coming from Canfield Mountain. They were able to use equipment loaded onto a helicopter pinpoint the area where that cell signal was located. Law enforcers responded to that specific area. There was a gunfight and exchange gunfire with the suspected gunman. The body of that man was later found with a rifle nearby. Now we don't know whether he died of a self inflicted wound or whether some one of the officers who was responding out there fired the fatal shot. We hoped to learn that more about that later today, Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay and Jim, you said, like three hundred officers descended on the area. Do we know if the shots fired were from one of those officers or several of those officers, or did they come from the helicopter or is there just too soon to tell?
Speaker 4: Too soon at this point to tell, But you know, I suspect that the investigators who found the body probably have a good idea of whether this was self inflicted or shots came from outside. They haven't said yet. They probably also have a good idea of who this person was considering that they had to sell information to follow, so it's just hard to save it. Yeah, three hundred line forces from around Idaho, from Washington State. This is close to the Washington state border, and probably some I suspect from Montana flowed over into that area.
Speaker 1: Okay, And do we know it was reported as a small fire. They think he said it and then was just sort of lying in wait for them. Do we know how many fire crews were headed out to the scene.
Speaker 4: Apparently just the one. You know, this was a relatively small fire, wasn't huge, and it was enough that this one crew was supposed to be able to handle. You're right, I mean, the most shocking part of the story is that this gunman apparently set that fire himself, set it intentionally to draw in these first responders and then to open fire once they were in range. So he has still a lot to learn about history. And unfortunately, since the suspected gunman is dead, we might not ever have all the answers.
Speaker 1: Hamy, I know, I when I got in this morning and I was going through the wires and stuff, I said, oh man, he's dead. Are we ever going to figure out why he did this? But maybe he'll be like so many where they leave letters and behind and talk about their frustrations or whatever kind of drove them away the edge.
Speaker 4: So but I suspect that's where the investigation is going to go, is to find whether whatever physical notes or writings this person might have left behind or whatever you know, online postings he might have left. So there's still a lot of clues to look at.
Speaker 1: Okay. And then one other thing that I wanted to ask you about. I'm not sure if you have the answer to this, but the sheriff had said yesterday after this happened, so as of like last night, he would say, hey, we're not fighting the fire because we can't send crews out there. Do we know is that fire still burning if they put cruise back out on there, or are they just kind of letting it burn at this point?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they did that. I mean they just suspended the firefighting operation at that point. It was a matter of safety for the firefighters and then of course issuing a shelter in place order to anybody who lives in that area. So yeah, I think the fire was finally brought under control after the body was found, the body of the gunment and then the sheltering place has been lifted as well.
Speaker 1: All right, so many questions still to be answered. Hopefully we'll get those in the coming days and weeks. Jim Ryan, ABC, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 1: All right, take care. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Three people have been hurt in a fire and Eagle Rock. The fire started about four thirty yesterday afternoon on Sharon Avenue near the one thirty four. It took nearly one hundred LA City firefighters over forty five minutes to put it out out. A man was treated for burn injuries. Two women suffered from smoke inhalation. An admission by SoCal Edison in connection with the fire in Silmar in January could be used against it in another lawsuit. The La Times reports. Attorneys say Edison's admission that its equipment might have started the Hurst fire could also be applied to another fire in the same area in twenty nineteen. The lawyers say the Saddle Ridge fire started the same way. Both fires were ignited under an Edison high voltage power line in Silmar. Health experts are asking why a newly appointed CDC Advisory Committee is recommending against flu vaccines that contain the preservative dimerisol. Doctor Fiona Havers resigned from the CDC this month. She says the recommendation could mean potential changes to kids vaccination. It could potentially cut off access and cut off insurance coverage for these vaccines. She says. The committee is now saying it will look back at safe and effective vaccines that have been thoroughly reviewed. President Trump says he is not worried about jobs being lost to artificial intelligence. He told Fox News that he understands the need for the emerging technology and how it's replacing some American workers, but he insists there is a solution. One thing, very simple. Bring more companies in more jobs.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The truth is we don't have enough people to take care of these jebs. The President says job losses are going to be offset by more companies coming to the US because his tariffs are leveling the playing field. Two new studies show people are eating less fast food. Health expert doctor Darien Sutton says more people are making healthier food choices these days.
Speaker 7: This new data from the CDC National Center on Health Statistics. It looks at the average amount of fast food the percent of calories that comes from that diet, and found that right now we're down to nearly eleven point four percent.
Speaker 1: He says. A decade ago that was his highest fourteen percent. Yeah, more people are doing what I did and making a healthy salad for dinner on a Saturday night, and even make my own dressing. No oil used, just lemon juice and hot honey. It was so good, I'm gonna be talking about it for weeks. Rose petals and cash have rained down on a block party in Detroit to celebrate a member of the community known for his generosity. Darryl Thomas, was fifty eight years old. He died a couple of weeks ago. His sons organized a helicopter ride on Friday, and during the ride they dropped five thousand dollars and flowers over the party. They say it was a final expression of love from their father to the community because he was a giver. Tomorrow, the Dodgers take on the White Sox at Dodgers Stadium. First pitch is going to go out at seven o'clock. You can listen to all the Dodger games on AM five to seventy LA Sports stream all Games two on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five seventy LA Sports brought to you by Asahi Super Dried discovered Japan's number one selling beer at your favorite bar or Grosser. Evacuations have been ordered in parts of the IE because because of several wildfires. At least five were burning yesterday, creating some smoky conditions across riverside in San Bernardino Counties. The largest fire in Banning has burned nearly twelve hundred acres and is zero percent contained or surrounded. A man's been arrested for posing as an ice agent in Huntington Park. Police say the guy was in possession of an unlicensed gun, copies of US Homeland Security removal notices in a list of radio codes for customs and border protection. The arrest happened last week after police found the guy in a silver Dodged Urrango with tinted windows illegally parked in a handicap zoned. Expect the roads to be packed for this Fourth of July holiday. Triple A says more than seventy two million Americans expected to hit the road. The busiest travel days will be on Wednesday, July second shoot. I was going to drive on Wednesday and on Sunday, July sixth, TSA says it's expecting to green more than eighteen million travelers between Tuesday and the following Monday at six oh five. It's handle on the news. One hurdle down, but there's a long way to go to get that big beautiful bill passed. As the president is calling for. Hey, I wanted to share with this. I got a letter from a listener absolutely made my day. So last week we were talking because I told you that it was five years since I had my surgery because I had colon cancer. But it's five years and it's all done. And so my big thing now is to encourage you to go and get a colonoscopy. Nothing nobody wants to do it. It's not super fun, but it can literally save your life. So I got a note from Sharon that said, Hey, Amy, wanted to thank you for continuing to encourage everyone to get their colonoscopies and to share your experience. Due to you, I stopped rebelling and just had my colonoscopy done like you promised. It was nothing to fear, she says. I wasn't worried about the prep, but being put to sleep, and honestly, the fear that they mind find something was what kept her from doing it. She said. At fifty eight she planned to rebel and avoid this at all out costs. She had it done. They found a polyp, they removed it tested. It turned out to be the type that if not removed and left to grow, probably would have turned into cancer. There's two different kinds of polyps. She says. She's extremely thankful that she actually listened to me and now she's on the three year plan. I am too, Sharon, She said, thank you your story, encouragement and actions may have saved my life. I'm so happy to hear that. Sharon absolutely made my day. That's what it's all about. Go get your kolonoscopy's done. Please. I know his newspeople, we're not supposed to tell you what to do, but on this one, I'm telling you, please get it done. All right, Let's get in your business, shall we, and welcome back Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe. Morning, court Hey, good morning. I hope you had time off. Your kid was out of school. Kids were out of school, so you got to spend a couple of days with them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, school wrapped up last week in New York City and just this area here and it was so we had a couple of days off and we went to beautiful Saratoga Springs, New York, which is in upstate New York, and it was beautiful. That's where probably here where the Belmont. The Belmont's usually in New York, in New York City, but for a couple of years while they renovate Belmont, they're doing it up in Saratoga. But it's it's gorgeous, the restaurants, everything. So if you're traveling to this area, great place.
Speaker 1: To go, Upstate New York, Sarato. Okay, yeah, well let's talk business now since you're back and back to work and back to the Grinda. One tech giant is close to making history. How come exactly?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 5: Shares of artificial intelligence chip maker in Vidia have definitely been on a tear. This report is sponsored Total Wine and more so. Two years ago they made history. They became the first chip maker to be valued at one trillion dollars. Now in Vidia is close to becoming the first company to reach four trillion dollars unbelievable quadrupled their money and how long exactly? And what a change in sentiment from earlier this year. Remember when we all talked about the fear of Chinese chatbots deep seat when they came out. They said, when that emerged, everybody went way. It costs a lot less money, because that's what they said. Their AI model cost a lot less to create than a lot of the Western rivals. So that made investors worried. Are these big companies like Microsoft, Meta, Amazon, Alphabet are they going to continue to invest more money into artificial intelligence infrastructure? But it seems when we look at the numbers, they definitely are. And that's what's powering in Vidia higher and higher. So it's what a move for that company over the past couple of years, and now it's valued it's the most valuable company, moving ahead of Microsoft.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Another one that I missed out on. What is it? What is a share of Nvidia goo for these days? We know?
Speaker 5: Ooh yeah, and let me get that for you. That's the power of the Bloomberg terminal because you can find all these things.
Speaker 1: Very very lockally.
Speaker 5: So right now, if you're looking at shares, it is trading at one hundred and fifty seven dollars.
Speaker 1: Oh that's not too bad. Okay, not too bad bad, but still a lot of money. You're going to come and think about it. Okay, if you're looking for a new car and maybe you want to buy American and get a Ford, it might take some extra time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because there's been factory freezes coming to Ford. Uh, they've had to temporarily idle some of its factories over the last three weeks. So here, Yeah, idol stopped them from a movement because Ford has been trying to manage through this shortage of these high powered magnets that contain rare earth minerals. Now, the supply of these components they've been trickling slowly out of China. There was some deal that happened, but it's still coming a little too slowly for Ford, and Ford's CEO Jim Farley said that the situation demonstrates the need to develop a domestic supply chain for critical auto components. And I mean these magnets are pretty much in everything. They're in the seats, they're in the windshill wipers, they're in the windows, they're in everything.
Speaker 1: So they really need this in order to move their their business forward. Okay, so expect delays, Just don't head down to the dealership and expect to drive off the lot right away. Maybe yes, Okay, Nike has hit a rough patch, but they're ready to move on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and investors are pretty excited about it. Shares of Nike jump more than fifteen percent on Friday, So yeah. CEO Elliott Hill, he came out and said, we expect the business results to improve from here. Before Friday, Nike stock lost a third of its value over the past year because they've had a lot of missteps that cost the company a lot of sales. So Nike's right now in the think of this turnaround. They've been trying to invest more in their business, which they weren't really doing for a good long time. And then they're also we're focusing on sports instead of livestock products like those street sneakers, as they want to focus more on the athletic sneakers and getting the athlete back into the fold. So it seems that it's working for them so far. And they said this is a low point. We're going to move forward from here and it's only going to be bigger and better. Well, that's what they say, we'll see if it actually happens.
Speaker 1: We will wait and see and before we let you go, what are we looking at stocks today?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So what a while year. We have to think about it.
Speaker 5: I can't believe that we're halfway through twenty twenty five and we had this tumultuous first half of the year. You can't forget about what happened with April. But now we're ending with stocks at a record and behind these moves talks with a dozen key training partners, they appear to be making some progress. We also had the de escalation in the conflict between Israel and Iran. That's powering stocks hire. So stock's at a record and right now when we're taking a look at Dow futures, they were up two hundred nineteen points right now. And we also had breaking news on a deal. Home Depot has agreed to acquire specialty building products distributor GMS four point three billion dollars as a price tag now gmsls wallboard, steel, framing, other construction products. But what Home Depot wants to do is they want to grab more spending from professional contractors.
Speaker 1: That's where they're going. That's the direction of their business. All right, We'll keep watching them then, Courtney, Donahoe, Bloomberg in your business every day at five point forty. We'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Definitely, see you later.
Speaker 1: Glad to be back, thanks, Cortney. Evacuation orders are in place in several neighborhoods in Banning as a wildfire burns out of control. The Wolf fire has burned eleven hundred and sixty five acres zero percent surrounded. Several other smaller fires are burning in San Bernardino and Riverside Counties, Feelin and Agua Aguanga. The Senate schedule to start voting this morning on President Trump's so called Big Beautiful Bill. Debate began yesterday after Senate clerks finished reading the full nine hundred and forty page bill out loud as required by Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer. Not clear if the Republicans have the votes they need to get it passed. F one has crossed the finish line in first place at the box office. Brad Pitt's racer movie took in more than fifty five million dollars in its opening weekend. How to Train Your Dragon was second in its third weekend. If release earning more than nineteen million dollars just minutes away from handle. On the news this morning, Republican Senator Tom Tillis has gone against the President on that big beautiful bill, and now he's saying, yep, I'm out bill. It's gonna have something to say about that. Right now, let's say good morning to internationally known animal trainer Heidi Harriet. Heidi, good morning.
Speaker 6: Good morning, Thanks for having me on this morning.
Speaker 1: Thanks for starting your day early with us today. So the booms have already started. Fireworks started going off on my neighborhood on Saturday night. Of course they're going to hit Fever Pitch on Friday. And while I love the sound and sight of the rocket's red glare, animals hate it.
Speaker 6: Some animals do. But if we think back, fireworks aren't new and pets aren't new, but it's become epic proportions of people getting worried about it and having a lot of anxiety. And I always tell people, if you told me two weeks ago you know your pet's going to react to fireworks, I can guarantee you they will because they're really taking their cues from us. So this is a training thing we could train our way forward. There, of course thundervests and drugs and stuff, but that just masks the problem. We want our animals to look at us when they're not sure what to do. So if your animal is not tipping it set up and looking at you to say, oh my gosh, this is scary, what should I do, then we could train our way forward. So we have you said, yours have already kind of started, but we have a couple of days before what might be the crescendo. So put on you too, and play fireworks, Play thunderstorms. I'm in Florida, we have thunderstorms. Same thing. Play it at a lower volume and up the volume a few minutes at a time. Do a little training. But put your dog on a leash, don't let them scurry, and just feed on their nervous energy. Keep them with you, stay in their brain, have them rollover, sit, stay like, run through their repertoire, play fetch. Put on something that calms you down, or it gets you in a calmer state, because your dog is going to really bounce off of that. That's what's important.
Speaker 1: Okay, and Heidi, that's so interesting. So you said that as we get more nervous about what howard dogs or cats are going to react. They get more nervous because they're feeding off of our emotion.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, we're the leader of the pack and we're not necessarily you know, we get more emotional. Now, it's okay, you're fine, it's okay. And when I'm helping my clients, it's always a quick fix. It's the reinforcement of the fix. So just get in the habit of being much more. Hey, look at me, Rover, Hey, Fluffy, look up here, look at me, give me your eyes. We're good. We got this, and that's the way forward. So yeah, but roleplay it between now and then, you know, put on YouTube and keep them with you. A big takeaway here. It is the biggest day for lost pets and escape pets. So please, even if your dog loves the backyard with a fence, don't put them out during the fireworks. Even the best trained pets. Bring them in, keep them calm, right, keep them safe, because you don't want them to get away on you. That's that's a big deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if you obviously they still have to go to the bathroom during the fireworks, So you're saying, just don't let them out in the backyard, like take them out on a leash and let them do their things.
Speaker 6: You would ahead of time. You know, most dogs can hold you know, a few hours at a time.
Speaker 1: So you haven't been to fireworks in La.
Speaker 6: Okay, Yeah, but there's a point where as long as you have them on a leash. But I mean, like if they just love to go in and out of their dog door, like my dog during fireworks, I just closed that door. But you know, I'm still gonna take them out to body. But in the morning, I'm going to get some good exercise for him and I and you know that we're really relying on the drugs. And again occasionally it's fine. I'm third generation entertainer and I've had my animals all over the country. County fairs love their fireworks. My animals look up and go, oh, here we go again. And because I'm giving them the guidance. And whether you have an older dog, young dog, cats, you can teach an old dog new tricks, a shelter dog, any of those. Don't give them a new story and move forward and get them to look at you. That's the secret behind all of the training.
Speaker 1: Okay, So remain calm and carry on. And I love the idea of getting the youtubes and just play those for a couple of days and let them, let them get used to that sound, and let them see you being calm too. Heidi Harriet, internationally known animal trainer. Such great, great advice. And we have a few days to get ready, even though they've already started here, but I think we can. We can do it, all right, Thank you so much, have a great day.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: That's great advice. I hadn't thought of that. I hadn't thought of that. And she's right, we all freak out, all right, Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Votes are scheduled in the Senate this morning as Republicans try to pass President Trump's massive spending package. The Senate began debate yesterday on the so called Big Beautiful Bill. South Carolina Republican Senator Lindsay Graham says the push to overhaul Medicaid, which is part of the bill, is warranted.
Speaker 4: What we've done is limited the growth to six percent for two years, four percent after that, so Medicaid is not cut.
Speaker 1: He says, the US is thirty seven trillion dollars in debt, and Medicaid has grown fifty percent in five years, and it's about to take over Medicare. If the bill is passed in the Senate, it goes back to the House to con the changes. The jury in Shawn Combe's racketeering and sex trafficking trials expected to get the case today. Both sides wrapped up their cases last week. Prosecutors told the jury Combs committed several crimes over the years and was able to get away with them through fear and violence. Combs's attorney argued that prosecutors were over zealous in charging Combs and that the music mogul is only guilty of having a swinger lifestyle and using recreational drugs. Costco executive members getting a new perk starting today, which is June thirtieth. Those who pay the higher membership fees get to get in an hour earlier than other members. They get an extra half hour on Saturday mornings. Doors open at nine am for executive members ten am for everyone else. I bet I know where Bill Handel is going at nine am, right after he gets off the air. Today. This is KFI and kosd HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County, live from the k twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.