Speaker 3: You'll be bad.
Speaker 1: This episode, we're gonna be talking about elden Ring Night Rain reviews, and a big event for one of the switch To's most important holiday games got announced. It's gonna be a good one because we have Chris Plan on the show.
Speaker 3: Plant.
Speaker 2: How are you doing, Hey, I'm doing good. What a great voice you have. I mean I always know it, but hearing it in real time and watching it come out.
Speaker 3: It's something.
Speaker 1: Actually, you know, I work on a little bit because I've mentioned this before where I always feel like I got to go up a couple octaves because otherwise, if I'm just like relaxed and talking to my own voice, it gets down here and then no one can understand what I'm saying, including me. So I kind of have to like find this good range where I'm not straining too much so I can do these long podcasts and and and still be understood.
Speaker 3: But you know what, I'd like your voice on your podcast too. Plant. How are things going over in Plant world?
Speaker 2: What is going on over in my world?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I think the first thing that's going on is my Bluetooth headphones just randomly disconnecting while I do it. But fortunately I have another thing But the other thing that's going on is I made a podcast thing, which I will talk about as I set my stuff up, because this is what it's like being an indefinite creator. It is frantically scrambling and pretending that you know what the are we all in a curse on the show?
Speaker 3: Yep, you're good, That's what I thought.
Speaker 2: I'm pretending that we know what the fuck we're doing anyway. Yeah, So it's been a weird couple of months. And now I'm doing something very different than what I did before, and I'm making my own show and it's called Post Games, and it is the show that I always wanted to listen to. And I'm a firm believer of the best thing you can do as a creative is make the thing that you would actually pay for. It's so easy to get like pulled into like what do I think is cool or important or interesting, which are not always the same as what would I actually take the time to read. I always say this when people are like, hey, you should write a book, and I'm like, well, considering how few books I enjoy reading, the odds that I will make one that anybody else will enjoy reading pretty low we're not all Jason Tryer. It turns out no, we're not. But but yeah, it's a I don't know how much should I should talk about it. It's a hour long show. It's weekly basically picture like anything that's on NPR, but like about stuff that you like and not stuff that completely bums you out. You should still listen to that, but that's not this show.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I listened to the first episode.
Speaker 1: I thought, you know, I got immediately what you meant where it's like, this is a show that you wish existed because it's like, yeah, I've heard the show for a million other topics. Clearly it works really well for video games. It's like, you know, a little bit of a you know, Marketplace is kind of what reminds me of a little bit where it's like, hey, we're gonna have these segments, we're gonna have a topic, we're going to talk about this stuff. We're gonna get into it, and uh, yeah, I really think that's a good fit.
Speaker 3: So I'm enjoying it. I'm glad that you got it up and running.
Speaker 1: How much of like a production lift is it for you, because that's that's always the thing, right for a show like that with some you know, choppy editing and stuff like that, and you want to make everything feel punchy. It's like, Okay, how much time am I going to spend on this each week? How is that process going for you?
Speaker 2: Honestly, it's hard for me to know yet what is real. I think what happens is my life when I was at Polygon was just completely unhealthy, right, And that's not like I hate to say, like that's the way it is, because I like to believe that that's not how it is. But like when you are that editor in chief of a publication, truly, like you you really do have like just multiple jobs. You are like writing, you are going to like you're traveling for work. You are just doing so much. So when I switched over to this, it feels like not much time at all. Right, But now I'm like wanting to make a more sustainable life, so I'm trying to monitor it better. I also have that tricky thing where I'm learning how to build the plane as I'm flying it sort of. I have no experience in editing, Like literally, when I started working on the first episode, that was the first time I had opened a program to edit audio. So yeah, that I think is eating up most of the time, right, But I feel really confident that I'll be able to maintain this like weekly cadence. I'm really lucky in that the hard part for these things is the way that the show works. I should tell people is I'll use I'll use this upcoming week's episode. This upcoming week I'm talking about why you can't escape poring games because I'm just endlessly curious about it, right, And for the structure for every episode is I want to make you an expert before we even get to the interview. That way we're not just spending all of the interview time doing.
Speaker 3: Getting the basic gains, getting the who, what, why? I wear? When? Sure? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right, So the like I end up writing a fifteen to twenty minute script that is the intro through this and it's like research has original journalism in it, and then we can throw to the interview and then you can get into like the real meat of it, right with somebody who can give you that extra level. And I'm very lucky in that I'm just a very fast writer, like just very and and that that comes from like being the you know, decase is like us who like you know, in the early days, we're writing twenty thirty posts a week, and then from there went into freelance where I was working at places like Hurst and doing a lot of more traditional journalism. And you throw those two things together and I can just move very quickly. I don't think I'm like the best at any of it, but I'm I'm fast and consistent and clean, so when I can reduce that and I can get people on the phone. Fortunately, just because I have like a little reputation in the industry, and like, those two things end up making it move just so fast.
Speaker 1: Yes, it makes a big difference for sure. Well, I'm glad that you were doing the show. Like I said, where can people find it if they want? Like, should they just go search their podcast feeds for post games?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean the easiest way right now is post dot games. That'll take you to like the newsletter and all the other information. It's still a young enough show that, like I've it seems like it got the search juice that it needs for you to find it when it comes up, despite it being a pretty common word. Right, But yeah, post dot games I think is your best bet.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: It's a little just a tiny bit envious of you getting to like start something from scratch because the idea of like here's a podcast, here's a new idea, I'm going to do it, and then here's like the newsletter that goes along with that, and it's like this clean package that you've produced there, and it's like over here, we got a mess of like fifty different piles we have to attend to all the time. It's like, Okay, we're gonna put this show here, and if we do it, there's no just like one neat little thing we can hand to people. I wouldn't change anything, but I really appreciate how you've built this so far. So good luck with postgames. Looking forward to hearing the next episode. In the meantime, let's explain what we do here and explain ourselves. You can go to giant bomb dot com slash join and support our independent gaming media website. We're covering the Switch to launch, we're gonna be at Summer Game Fest. We're gonna be doing GB at night out in La all on our lonesome. We've figured that out and we need your help to make that happen. You go to giant bomb dot com slash join, become a member. It gets you add free shows, gets you a handful of other goodies. On this show, however, most weekdays, I Jeff Grubb, will help pace your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you were watching live on twitch welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for game breaking News or god damn.
Speaker 3: It, Game Mess Mornings.
Speaker 1: I thought I changed that in every reference there that's the old show Game Mess Mornings, or find therssfeed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later on YouTube. Hello YouTube. Yeah, I'm never gonna change everybody. All right, let's get into the headlines with this first one here. Elden Ring Night Rain reviews. Chris is getting a seventy nine on Open Critic Mitchell Saltzman over at IGN gave it a seven out of ten and said, when elder Ring Night Rain is played exactly as it was designed to be played, it's one of the finest examples of a three player co op game around.
Speaker 3: But that's harder to do.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, that's harder to do than it should be, and playing solo is poorly balanced. Richard wakeling Over at GameSpot gave it a nine out of ten and said elder Ring Night Rain successfully condenses the elder Ring experience, cramming challenging combat exploration, world building, and character development into a fast paced and thrilling multiplayer game, and then Connor mccarr at VG twenty four to seven gave it five stars and said I cannot help but to love elder Ring Night Rain. It's a strange beast get bashed from parts of Elderring that feel clunky in places. God, the vaulting system can be frustrating at times. It has bugs, and it has blimishes. It's not a traditional souls Like experience, and as such will surely turn away fresh faces and diehard veterans alike. But it's also a celebration of you, the massive community of souls Like players, and specifically Elderring players. It's a game and a story about you and all the weirdos you've met along the way. If this is a sendoff to elder Ring and the lands between, it's a perfect one. This is one that I'm not surprised to hear has like some contention and how people are are responding to it. I also think that Saltzman at IGN kind of nails it where it's like, I bet this game works really well when it's working really well, and then when you have that experience of well, yeah, sure, I would love to be enjoying night Rain in this moment, but I can't get two of my friends who have a similar skill level to me into this game at this time for a four hour period, so we can do several of these forty five minute runs in a row, so we can really get the most out of it. That to me already sounds like an impossible task, an impossible feat to pull off as someone with a busy life. So I think this is going to be one where I might mostly watch from the sideline. Sure, we'll do a couple of streams over here and they'll force myself into that situation, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, But I get that this is not going to be the thing that most people are looking for.
Speaker 3: How are you feeling about Night Rain?
Speaker 2: A few different things. One, I think it's very funny to hear people who love the series saying, oh, I wish it accommodated me more after all of the conversations about that in the past, some tasty irony. The I mean, the big thing for me is like whatever, I want people to play a game if they like and if they don't like it, they don't. I mean, that's how I kind of fall down a lot of these reviews, especially at this point when the reviews. I love all of this writing. We're in the car review period. The game is still new enough that it's hard to like, have any really intense or interesting criticism. It sparstly like does it work? How does it work right?
Speaker 3: What are the new features and stuff?
Speaker 1: And then how do you feel about that, which is not always how you end up feeling about the game two weeks later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And I think this also just really gets at the absurdity of scores. And let me be clear, like we didn't have scores at Polygon. I don't have a beef against scores. I can use them as a quick reference point, but the I don't want to like I'm not to be clear, I'm not calling out Connor a great writer, and this is a good review, but five Stars is very funny for a game that is so clearly described here as a seven out of ten, Like if this was Earth Defense Force, you could use this exact same description, right yep, But it's not elden Ring. And I think there's a weird thing that can happen with a I always call them injured puppy games, where if like an injured puppy game gets made by Nintendo, it could be your favorite game of all time and you're like ten out of ten even though I know it's broken.
Speaker 1: And that's like that's important, like that the fact that it's made by Nintendo and people have those feelings is something you cannot discount.
Speaker 3: But I get, yes, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Well, and and it kind of it gives you a I think there's a bit of a permission structure where I think if you give Earth Defense Force a ten out of ten, it's like, come.
Speaker 1: On, like it's permission to yourself you're talking about, right, Like a permission to yourself to enjoy it, almost like.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, well, and you can even enjoy it.
Speaker 3: You'll write that.
Speaker 2: You could write the exact same review for both of these things. Yeah, the score is just not going to be there, and I think that that it inherently is why certain games tend to always be higher and certain games tend to always be lower. It's like the the bump of polish, the bump of prestige. But again that doesn't really have anything to do with the game itself. For even these reviews, it's more just the meta commentario.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's the you know, the score is the same thing it's always been. It is going to be useful to that person who has sixty dollars in their hand and is trying to figure out what they're going to do with it, and they can quickly look at a number, and I think it has the utility for that. Beyond that, You're right, like night Rain is going to have so many more interesting things to reveal to us as people get in there and explore it and find new ways of interacting with it, and that's going to take time for us to find out about it.
Speaker 3: In the meantime, I go get go ahead.
Speaker 2: Well, I was gonna say, do you think that they're making too many games?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that this is not crossing that line yet. So the way Miyazaki, who didn't direct this game, described I think what is happening with night Rain. I don't know if he called out night Rain specifically, but it kind of sounds like that's what he was doing. Where you're saying, we are going to take some of our games, some of our assets, and we are going to use them specifically to make smaller things off to the side, to train up the next generation of our creatives. And it's like, if that's what night Rain is, I think it's it is not too much. It is exactly right, because you're gonna need people kind of ready to go, and you can't wait an entire development cycle for the next game that you're making to really get them up to speed. It's kind of you know, other developers have different ways of doing this. Over at Naughty Dog, they're like, let's remake every single one of our games every couple of years and we'll put a lot of people to work on that and they'll get trained up. And I'm like, yeah, as a training program, that makes a lot of sense, and then you make a lot of money selling these games. Again, I think that that I don't get the sense that from sooft is doing too much yet, but you never know, like one of these things, like let's say night Rain took off and became a massive thing, and now they have to support that game going forward for years and years as it gets bigger and bigger, Like that would put them in a situation where it's like, oh, I don't how does the studio navigate going forward.
Speaker 3: I don't think they're in that case yet.
Speaker 2: That's funny. I never even thought of that as a scenario. Yeah, like not as a is to it. I just kind of assume that they're going to release this and people are.
Speaker 3: And that's that is what's going to happen here.
Speaker 1: That's because that's the most likely scenario, of course, for sure. I have not played night Rain yet. I we got code. We're gonna probably play it on the well on the site this week. I'm curious, but I'm also part of me is like I'm almost a little relieved. I don't have to like put a ton of time into a new Elder Ring in this moment, when there's so much else to play and the Switch Too is coming out. I'm ready to go have a good time in this for a couple of play sessions. But I don't know if this is going to become my life.
Speaker 2: You've you've only finished one hundred line forty times of the one hundred endings.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 1: Exactly right? I really got to get in there. I hear it gets really good at forty two, so.
Speaker 2: That true I can attest. I'm at forty three, and let me tell you, it's a different game.
Speaker 3: That that game we talked.
Speaker 1: I talked about this somewhere. That's the one game that did get lost in the shuffle. The last couple of weeks. Everyone was worried about Claire Obscure, and it was really one hundred line that was getting lost, and O Oblivion's out and Claire Obscures out and all this other stuff was happening. So people seem to really like it. I bet it gets.
Speaker 3: Rediscuss we still I'm happy, happy to hear it. Fantastic.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move along here, next place, or excuse me. Next Pokemon Presents is announced for the end of July. This is from John Walker at Kotaku. Nintendo and the Pokemon Company International have just announced the date for the next Pokemon Presents, due to be with us before the end of July.
Speaker 3: It's set for July twenty second.
Speaker 1: The contents of the new Presents have yet to be detailed, but it's extremely likely that a lot of it will be dedicated to Pokemon Legends ZA, given that they also just dated that game.
Speaker 3: For October sixteenth.
Speaker 1: That's one of the switch Too's biggest games. They are going to detail that quite a bit. I'm sure you think there's a chance that there's a lot of other Pokemon news or do they kind of just focus on this big z A game.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering if there's maybe a little bit of a surprise, like, oh, there's a new Pokemon store opening in the US.
Speaker 3: You know we've had I'm sure yeah.
Speaker 2: Opening, and the Pokemon centers in Japan are like a big thing there. I'm always kind of surprised that they haven't come here, and now feels like they're big press like into the physical space of the US. They have the shop in San Francisco opening right or open for Nintendo. They have both theme parks now open on both coasts, and it feels like now would be the time to do that. But game wise, I think that they have, you know, their hands full, and I can't imagine them overloading us. I always wonder when we'll get more of a like dedicated retro device thing for Pokemon, but that's not going to happen the same year as the switch to coming.
Speaker 1: Out, right, Yeah, that's that's when they always seem to kind of keep in their pocket. And you know, it's weird with Nintendo and the Pokemon Company, which obviously Nintendo is a third of the Pokemon Company, but they it operates autonomously. I'm sure they would collaborate on a device like that, But you're right, that's when they probably saved for a year when they don't have the switch to launching. That's like in their stocking stuff or category, which is where like the nes Mini was, and then those many things that played the Super Mario and Zelda, and they'll probably find a way to get to those eventually. I think, you know, we are in the thirtieth anniversary this year, I believe for the Japanese release, and so it's like there is a chance they find a way to do something bigger, maybe a big remake or.
Speaker 3: Something like that.
Speaker 1: But man, I don't know if it also feels like they recognize they need to take more time with all of these games and Pokemon legend Za is the exact kind of thing that can distract from them taking a few more years on everything else. So I kind of hope they just lean into that, and I would because I would rather other than getting big announcements, I would rather, you know, game Freak be given the opportunity or take the opportunity. It's control of its destiny somewhat, take the opportunity to really focus on making that next mainline Pokemon game for the switch to something that is worth getting excited about from a technological standpoint, because it's just been off for the last couple of releases.
Speaker 2: And I tell you about why my kid can't go to college, Yeah, please, it's related, Okay, it's financial. When I was a kid, I was obsessed with importing Japanese video games from a very very young age because like how young, like six or seven to be clear, I got like two or three games a year. So this was a terrible logic for games that I can't play. But what I realized is like, oh, I can borrow from everybody, and if you have a Japanese game, that's like a great bartering technique, even though you, okay, give them your counsel. It was like a whole thing. My parents were very into it. They're like tinkering with like hardware and stuff. Anyway, the long story is, as I like, at the very beginning of getting into this stuff, I had heard about this game Pokemon and that before or even came to the state. So you could get these cards and if you went to your local shop, you could ask them to order them for you. If you went like the little like war uh what uh people who make the dioramas or whatever, I don't know what they're called models.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ok, yeah, sure, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Hobby Like we would go to like a hobby shop and we asked them to like order some of these, and our hobby shop, after like a month or two did we got like this original thing and I collected just gobs of these, filled up an entire binder for it, kept it in my closet untouched, kind of forgot about it, and then in college I asked whore it was. My parents were like, oh yeah, like right after you move, we gave it to the church for a donation.
Speaker 3: Oh no, and it is that church is that gold plated day?
Speaker 2: Then I'm like, oh yeah, man, that's that's great because wow, more money the Catholic Church. What are they doing with my charters are I don't want to know Jane?
Speaker 1: Or you hearing the story chance a Pokemon card guy? Yeah, okay, you hurt Jan?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: No, man, that stinks.
Speaker 1: I don't have I didn't have the press sience for that kind of thing, you know now. That means I avoided heartbreaking stories like this, But also I didn't have anything any treasure in my closet or anything like that. What you know on the video game side, what was the favorite game that you like imported?
Speaker 3: Like what's the standout by far?
Speaker 2: Powerstone two? Oh? Hell yeah, all right, Echo the dollh Powerstone two from Japan and Echo the Dolphin from Europe. The dream Cast. The Dreamcast was like the future was like the dream and it was at like peak point where people were making really strange stuff and it still was just barely held back from the US for like six months to even like a year and a half, right, like a weird time. So yeah, you could. You had the Internet, you could be aware of a lot more, and yet you also didn't have access to it. So it was like, I think I could gold an era that in a Sega Saturn for that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sego would have been really good for that.
Speaker 1: The one game that I really remember importing was Donkey Konga. I just I loved rhythm games. Yeah, and I was like, there's no chance they bring this to the United States, And of course they did, But I still I had no complaints because that Japanese version is quite a bit different and it was still a ton of fun. And I still have that somewhere back there in that closet or over there.
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, let's take a quick detour.
Speaker 1: This just got announced as I was getting ready to start the show, or I guess got reported over at Polygon. Persona for remake apparently in the works. This is by Maddy Myers, who writes. Famed voice actor Uri Lowenthal has just blown up Atlas's spot on his personal Blue Sky account with a post about not getting to reprise his role ass in the studio's Persona four remake, a remake that none of us knew for sure was happening until Lowenthal's post.
Speaker 3: Here's what Urie posted.
Speaker 1: And for those who keep asking, no, I will not be returning as Usk for the Persona four remake. I asked, maybe I even begged, but they don't want me to come back, so hey, Wow, kind of getting messy when we're we're revealing other people's games now. To be fair, PERSONA four red dot co dot JP has been registered for a long time, so people are like, clearly this is happening. There were rumors before that, even we kind of knew this was going to happen. Also, you know, remaking these games just feels obvious, so circumstantially it made a lot of sense. But here is essentially a confirmation from someone who might know. Uh yeah, interesting huh.
Speaker 2: I mean I I was waiting for Catherine too, but I guess we're gonna get this instead.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, just keep holding the torture Catherine there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a hard life, you know. Yeah. I mean I don't want to be the person who's like why but like why yeah, especially with the way they remade three and the loyalty it shows to kind of the structure in the formula. I am a little confused as to what would be so different with this.
Speaker 1: Right, Like, is there a chance they're just reusing all the same voice lines and not adding anything new and that's why they don't and they don't need them. Yeah, it's not what it's not what It sounds like like the way he's describing it makes it sound like there's something happening and they're getting someone else.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I'm confused as well. Do do you do?
Speaker 2: We feel like absolutely certain that it's a remake and not a sequel.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so you mean like a sequel to the four lineage or or like six okay.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, like a sequel to the four lineage, like an expansion of what the game story is or a different point of view or something like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, he says persona four remake like in when he's talking about it. I also think that they are most likely done with the four sequels, but you know that was I wouldn't be surprised if they like start going back to one of those franchises in some way here pretty soon.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if that's what they're talking about here. It's like that, Yeah, we're kind of yeah.
Speaker 2: Final fantasy, like, oh, there's more to be done here. I yeah, I don't, I don't know, it just seems I also, yes, I understand using the word to remake, but using the word remake, remaster, reboot in video games right, yes.
Speaker 1: Completely ill defined in many ways yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I'm also just being hopeful, right, like I would love I just don't. Personally, I don't. I can't imagine what a version of Persona four is that they create that is that different than gold and other right being slightly nicer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean people really thought that that Persona three remake was really well done. Dose four need that treatment. I don't personally know, but I think when I talk to my friends who are big Persona heads, they seem excited about the prospect.
Speaker 3: So we'll see. I think there is this idea.
Speaker 1: Of like, you know, you can kind of have a definitive experience and that'll be good, even though Golden was very definitive in a lot of ways. But I still think people are like, oh, you know, upgrade the visuals, give us the definitive version, and then apparently don't change the voice acting or completely change it with a completely different actor.
Speaker 3: So we'll see how that plays out.
Speaker 1: But yeah, do you think this is something that pops up like summer game Fest?
Speaker 3: I think there's a chance for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you think it's that soon? I think I just don't know their cadence yet for these things.
Speaker 1: So I think Persona six is still a ways off, right. They won't even like necessarily talk about that until maybe the end of this year, if that's coming out next year, but that will take some time. There's no reason even to speculate about that. But this could pop off at any time between now and then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so full of shit. I said all that, and then I'm like, oh, damn, I can play for Zona for this fall. That sounds pretty kick. Let's go damn it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they got you. That's all it takes.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back into the headlines I have here in the Actually, you know what, let's take a quick break. We're gonna go to break, which you can avoid because we're gonna go to ads if you get the ad free version by going to giant bomb dot com slash join. But if you don't do that, you got to listen to this.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, jan.
Speaker 1: This episode of Giant Bomb is brought to you by GiantBomb dot com slash Join join us there, become a member. It helps us make fun stuff, It gets you add free content. It also helps us make some extras here and there that will give exclusively to you as members. It's giant bomb dot com slash Join for ten dollars a month or one hundred dollars a year. Where you save twenty dollars, you can support us in making all the cool stuff that we make over here at giant Bomb once again, that's giant bomb dot com. Slash join, become a member now, all right, Welcome back to Game mess Mornings Giant Bomb.
Speaker 3: I'm Jeff Grub. That's Chris Plant.
Speaker 1: Let's get back into the news with Apple to launch dedicated video game app around switch to Launch.
Speaker 3: This from Jordan Midler at VGC.
Speaker 1: Apple is reportedly planning to launch its own dedicated gaming app within days of the launch of the Nintendo switch To in an effort to bolster bolster its position in the gaming space. The Apple Come pre installed across Apple's suite of products in an effort to unify the tech giants push into the gaming space. According to Bloomberg, the app will feature a centralized achievement system, leaderboards, and other communication tools. The app will be announced during Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference on June ninth, four days after the launch of the switch Too. There's there's more here, and there's another Apple related gaming story here in a second Plant. But I'm not an iOS guy, I've always been on Android, but I I like, remember an early iOS gaming app, right, they didn't have achievements. I don't know, Like, I don't know. You tell me, do you have an iOS device? What's going on here?
Speaker 2: There have been a lot of these. I mean the Apple one was game Center, which is technically still exist and is going to be replaced by.
Speaker 3: This, okay, but before for that, Apple.
Speaker 2: Just doesn't keep their hands on the wheel with any of this stuff. I don't understand this, like we're taking gaming seriously bullshit, because they have had a million opportunities dating back to the Apple too, to do this and to be in a position of just intense and immense power. In the earliest point was why was this not around for the first few years. Why did companies like ng Moco who most people do not remember create the actual game center tool that then got replaced by game Center and most games were using that. I think EA was using it. Why do they not have a dedicated controller? Right? There are so many kind of obvious things that you would want. Why do you not promote any of your stuff?
Speaker 1: I mean, it just feels like Apple Games is like they are never going to take it seriously because it's like not in their DNA at all, they or it's in their DNA to sort of be skeptical of games.
Speaker 3: In some ways, it it's.
Speaker 2: As weird, weird thing, especially in the era of iOS, where it is responsible for most of their money right of the of the software air spot and yet this refusal to take it seriously until things look grim. So it's like, I am I surprised that they're announcing this when they have completely lost sight of their AI strategy for the past three years and like, forget whatever you feel about AI. Their job was to figure that out alongside Google and Microsoft, and they just tremendously dropped the ball so much that what they were advertising for the last iPhone, like the features just are not available. That's a problem. So this feels like a classic up. We got to go take care of that thing that makes us money, which I think is just video games in general, like deeply relatable. I will say, where you have a thing is you know, video games for it and makes money. Not gonna say any more than that, but I'm not surprised. I'm both not surprised and not going to get my hopes up that there's actual and actual taking seriously of their game strategy.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: I think the people who work within it are doing genuinely incredible work. I think the Apple Arcade Rules editors over there, like yeah, yeah, the editors are great. Everyone within it is doing a killer job within the limitations. I just wish that they had way more say in these things, because they have assembled a great team in a way that few other places have. They just they really have them on some limits.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've always been a little bit sort of you know, the best word to describe is but hurt about iOS AND's relationship to video games at like just the years and years of making so much money off of them and then like banning games that are historical and try to tell talk about the Civil War because they had like the the the rebel flag or whatever in there, the Confederate flag, and it's like, look, this is not what you think it is, or I don't even know what you think it is. This is actually an educational or at least a thinking game and worthy of being considered art. And it's like they won't even let it into the door. And I always found that incredibly frustrating. So the idea that they end up back here without sort of reckoning with their deep seated feelings about video games. First is like, Okay, you're just going to end up back like like you said, taking your hands off the wheel here, because it's not something you think about seriously, even though it, yeah, like you said, makes most of their money. It really is this mass, which is why they fight so hard against Epic and trying to keep that thirty percent cut in everything.
Speaker 2: Because the bills listeners who don't obsess over this shit, yeah please. The problem for Apple is twofold. Their hardware hit effectively a cap like they basically sold when they could expect to sell onto, and now they have tariffs and other issues, so they are needing to find way to get more money from the people who have the iPhones. That is why we have the cases about in app purchases, because they needed to find ways to keep growing once they actually hit a ceiling, and the only way to keep growing was to find newer and fresher ways to pull money from the same batch of consumers. It sucks.
Speaker 1: It's literally like we talk about this all the time, that same exact thing, but for consoles, where it's like consoles have been sold to as many people as they can possibly be sold to. They've been stagnant for years now, and so like, look at all the news headlines about what's happening with what the decisions that these companies are making. How do you feel about them? Does it feel like they're trying to extract more money from you, their most dedicated fans, Because you're right, that's exactly what's happening. It sucks that so many of these things are at that point that now it's like, oh, the target's turned back to us, who really enjoyed these things and kind of made it part of our you know, our hobby or whatever, and it's like they know they can get more from us, and they're going to try, all right. Sticking with Apple, Apple acquires first game development studio. This is from Alex Hopley, a game reactor. Apple has acquired its first video game studio. The Tech Giant recently revealed it acquired Rax seven, a two man development team behind Apple Arcade's twenty nineteen hit, which is a Yes, Sneaky Sasquatch. We love Sneaky Sasquatch and are excited that the two person Racks seven team has joined Apple to continue their work on it with us, we will continue to deliver a great experience for the Apple ArKade players with hundreds of games for many of the best game developers in the world. Apparently Rack seven is going to continue working on the game. They're going to try to make it even bigger with Apple's help, and Apple says we're not acquiring other game studios. This was a one time thing. What's going on here? What was Apple trying to pull here? Is like this part of an idea of like, hey, we want to support Apple Arcade or is this a shift that is maybe or is this them testing the waters.
Speaker 3: Of an acquisition of a game developer. I can't really read this situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, my best conspiracy theory for it is that this is boxing somebody else out of the paint, right, Like right, you have a two person team and you don't plan on buying more studios, you have an IP that is relatively well known for your platform. I don't know, it feels to me like somebody else wanted to acquire this team. It's small, I assume comparably cheap, and the Apple here is that they're going to lose this seat, you know, sneaky Sasquatch. What do you do, Like you throw some money their way. I do believe them in that, Like it doesn't seem like it is. There's much more to it, yep than We really wanted to make sure we continue to have these games on our system, and this was probably the only way to ensure that.
Speaker 1: Twenty nineteen is this I'm not familiar with Sneaky Sasquatch?
Speaker 3: Is this game? Like you said, it's still pretty relevant and well known.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a game that you would find on an Apple arcade the moment you booted it up. Okay, all right, it's one of those games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cool, all right.
Speaker 1: Moving right along ahead of Switch two's launch, Animal Crossing New Horizons gets its first update in years. Is from Alex's new house at game Spot. Really not much to this, They are just updating it so that when you play online cooperatively with other players between Switch to and Switch one, it'll be more stable. But I did want to like talk more broadly about Animal Crossing with you, Chris Plant. Do you think that this is a sign or do you think the Animal Crossing is one of those guns that Nintendo's reloading relatively soon to get ready for like the first year or year two of the switch to I.
Speaker 2: Mean that's the rumor, right. The rumor is that they've been working on it for a while. Now that they see it takes a lot of sense on the Animal crossing new horizons, maybe earlier than they had originally planned because they wanted to make the Forever game version of it. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw it in the next two years. But the great thing about Nintendo is there is no confidence in anything. They are not afraid to sit on games for as long as they want. So maybe they have it planned for this December. Maybe they have it planned for next December. Maybe they'll change their minds twenty times between then and now. I would never bet a single dollar on a release date for a Nintendo game right till they have like announced it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I bet my hair once and that didn't go well for me. So yeah, they moved it a month and it screwed me.
Speaker 3: So yeah.
Speaker 1: It's the kind of thing where, uh, this is something that could really pop up at any time. I do think they consider it like one of the more important franchises at this point. That last one did sell like forty five million copies or something like that.
Speaker 3: That number, though, does make me think like a.
Speaker 1: Forever game version of Animal Crossing, Like is there some risk in that of like because like they were having so much success just making one per platform and it grew so much on the Switch, It's like they can kind of just make a game and sell it at six dollars for five to ten years, like they're going to with New Horizons and then and then eventually just make another one. What benefit do they get from the forever game version of it.
Speaker 2: I think that Mario Kart eight is like a historically great example of what a forever game yeah for Nintendo and how they're thinking about this, which is to say it's forever until it isn't a very very long time. It feels like forever, yeah, acad and I think that is closer to it, Like we're building a game that is meant to be able to be added on to and in that everything works. The question that I would love answered about New Horizons is the multiplayer is garbage, Like it's like real, genuinely a pain in the ass, and the rest of the game is great, but clearly the potential is that and if it wasn't clear enough by the end of the pandemic or not the end of it during it, you know, I that would be the reason to rebuild it if you couldn't fix that with the way that the game was designed and it needed the ground up. So when I think of like what they're building right now, I don't picture like Fortnite. I don't picture an app purchases. I don't picture any of that stuff. I just picture a game that is like, Okay, we've it is solid on every facet, and we can start hooking things on year after year for the next ten years, and by that then we'll know, like, what does the Animal Crossing and game look like? A decade from now? It'll look like something very different in the same way Mario Kart Open World Edition does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know.
Speaker 1: For Nintendo, I think you're right that they would just define it as a game they can come back to when they need to, without having like like they did with Mario Kart, where it's like suddenly years later after not doing anything, they had new rounds of DLC. That's the Nintendo version of this, I think, And it's like Animal Crossing could very easily get to that point where they could do that with New Horizons right now, if they really stelc for it, sure that would just sell completely fine, But I think you're right that that online version is is the online issue is something they want to solve and then start doing that.
Speaker 2: All right, What was your question, oh, for you? Do you think that they expect the same type of sales and interest as they got with New Horizons.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they expect.
Speaker 1: They probably shouldn't expect that, you know, kind of across the board for all these games until they know what the Switch two is going to do, because the Switch too is very likely going to end up following the trend of the follow up Nintendo console very similar to the console.
Speaker 3: Before, it doesn't do quite as well.
Speaker 1: Right, The three DS did really great eighty million units or whatever it was. That is almost half of what the DS did, and the DS was like an all time success for them. And that's you know, true from NES to Supernintendo and even N sixty four to GameCube and game Boy to game Boy Advance, although obviously that's a little bit stranger in that situation. But so you know, I think that trend likely holds out here, and so just generally, there will probably be slightly less excitement and slightly fewer people to sell the game to, So just like physically, it'll be harder to sell as much. It will be difficult to sell as much as Animal Crossing New Horizons dead. But I do think it is one of those franchises that has fully broken through, and now when a new one comes about, it's gonna be like Tiers of the Kingdom, where it's gonna be good for twenty million copies sold almost no matter what, which is more than about any other game that gets released.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that's the tough choice that they have to make when they are setting the release date right, which is, do we want to wait to release this once there are a lot of switch tos already out there, because then it's more likely people will buy the game and if there is a moment they'll participate in it. Or do we think it is so strong that it can be a hardware mover. And that's a tough choice because if you want to wait for there to be enough consoles, you're gonna be waiting three or four years to get that kind of like threshold moment. And there is a scenario on the flip side where you launch it a year from now when there's not a lot out there and it doesn't get the same traction it did in the past, and it is a game that benefits from a moment, like, yes, people can hop into it whenever, but it is different from Mario Kart. Like Mario Kart, the social fund is what is happening in the room while you're playing it. Animal Crossing the social fund is like what is happening everywhere while you're playing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we saw that reflected like in the you know, MPD or Skana stuff, where Mario Kart would not even from there like Nintendo's own numbers, Nintendo would be like, hey, Mario Kart this quarter, you know, ten years after at least sold a million copies in the last quarter, and like it just sold better than just about any other new game getting released, because it is very much that forever game already. And Animal Crossing definitely sold better than most games each quarter. But it wasn't doing like Mario Kart. Nothing was though, to be fair. Yeah, yeah, I think the one caveat with what you were explaining there is Nintendo's games do tend to just sell forever now, and so if they put a game out, I think they're likely doing it with the idea of and someone's going to buy this game four years from now, also for full price, and and you know, there could be a year where it's like it's actually selling better now than it did in like year two or something like that, because that's how our games go now. I think you're still right that for Animal Crossing specifically, they will try to find the balance between how many systems this is going to sell versus how many systems are out there, and that's why they probably will at least push it until late next year if it's coming.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think it's coming.
Speaker 1: All right, let's see here. Nintendo sixty four Nintendo Switch Online is going to get rewind and CRT filters on the switch to and control mapping features on switch to and Switch one. That's the one that, like, I'm most interested in because n sixty four controller mapping to a normal controller is troublesome sometimes and it's like I just want to be able to like do that myself and not have to do it on the system level every time I'm playing. Although I like a go CRT filters, we talked about earlier. You play much NSO and Nintendo Switch Classics and anything like that. There's some people who like just dive into the NonStop and some people who never touch that stuff.
Speaker 2: I love the idea of it, and I got really obsessed for a week. My son plays this stuff like crazy, Oh that's awesome, Like this is his go to and I think it's just that experience. He's seven and really loves like a library. Yes, you open it up and there's just like just a bunch of stuff there. You can try a whole bunch of different things.
Speaker 3: And you never know what you're going to get next. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And and for like kids, I'm I would love to know more about like how the retro aesthetic hits them, because how is it that different than roadblocks? You know, like there's there's not a lot of difference. So yeah, I'm happy for that. Do I think he cares about a CT filter? Not at all? Will he like the wind feature?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably there'll be less frustrating, so that sounds good. And finally getting them into blast Corpse, Yeah a real boy now.
Speaker 1: Who finally finally did the Plant Family's gonna have two men?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: I love to hear it blast chorus a favorite of mine for sure. Uh, yeah, you're right. The kids like why would they ever care about a CRT filter? Like that's one where even some people around my age who grew up on emulators, like playing Super Nintendo games on emulators, They're like, wait, why do I need a CRT filter? This looks just like it did when I played the game when I was a kid. It's like, wait, did you play on Were you play it on PC? It's like, yes, yes you were. And it's always funny to like hear those stories and like, yeah, you didn't see it the way I guess it was intended or like that how I feel it must have been intended. But there's a lot of people just grew up on those raw pixels and that's usually what you get these days when you're getting some like something like Nintendo Classics.
Speaker 2: That's funny. I had not thought about nestical being like the entry point for most people are.
Speaker 1: A lot first significant number like Mike Manati I do when it was and show, He's like, now I don't care about errtwo filters, And we talked it out one time. It was yeah, he finally played a lot of his favorite games on the nes and Supernintendo a few years later on Esticle and a few other things.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that explained it.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 1: All right, a couple more headlines here. Let's talk about this one planning. Game Stop just bought a half billion worth of bitcoin. This is termed Eddie mcco at game Spot video game retailer. Game Stop is a big believer in bitcoin. The grape Vine, Texas based company disclosed today May twenty eighth that it had purchased four seven hundred and ten bitcoin.
Speaker 3: At the current trader rate, that's more than five hundred and ten million US dollars.
Speaker 1: But quickly, bitcoin is I think back to its highest price ever kind of bounced back after being I guess a little bit down for a few weeks.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's as much as I know about it, so bad time to buy. But whatever, they're buying a bunch of bitcoin.
Speaker 3: What's going on.
Speaker 1: Here that I've heard that they want to be sort of the nerd version of Berkshire Hathaway, Dorkshire Hathaway. I think it's what they want to be. That's like all in the bitcoin and and and cryptocurrency area.
Speaker 3: That just sounds dumb. As hell to me. But what do I know?
Speaker 2: Yep, So I think this is a great idea. I have no notes. I think it's I think it's I think it's brilliant. And here is why I think it's a really good idea. It is not unusual for very large companies to spend a lot of money to invest in smaller companies or in assets. This itself is not unusual, and I want to be like very clear about that, in the capacity that when I worked at Vox Media, NBC Universal, I believe or Comcast invest in and it's like there are different other larger companies that would put money into us Penski Media that that's not unusual for a large company to invest in something. What is wonderful about this is they have put their money into something they can't fuck up. It's great. They put it into yeah, and the biggest person will hurt is them and all of their investors, versus them putting their money into let's say some in the media company or anything else that they would then have to operate and that would not be my favorite. They have not shown that they're very good at operating companies. Are they good at investing? I don't know. Maybe I don't really have any reason to believe that, but I don't have any reason to not believe it. I guess. Is it a absolutely strange and peculiar pivot kind of I mean, I mean, yes, it is on a very top level week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if you know the CEO, it's not that strange. It's like, yeah, this is right that nerve.
Speaker 2: And also like they do need to make some just absolutely wild pivot because their business is nonexistent. And I think you look at something like them or something like an airline, and this is a bit of a reach, but these companies are borderline banks. They are like holding onto value like with an airline. They are totally fine with you changing the date of your plane because they literally just stock up all of this cash that you have and then they use that cash to like raise funds.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: That's not so different than like how GameStop was built around use games and all of its weird approaches to like taking money in a non traditional capitalistic sense. So am I shocked that it would do something like this. No, would I invest in this, Absolutely not, But glad that they're they're just here to you know, do damage to themselves and their their shareholders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do like have this like grim vision of this is how a game Stop becomes our wailan Utani. They just somehow lashed themselves onto this and suddenly we're, you know, fifty years in the future and you got to go get an organ transplant from GameStop. So I hope it crashes and birds, because it's better than whatever else that this could end up in just a really weird move, Like for investors, like I guess it's just like you invest in game Stop, which is invested in bitcoin, Like, I don't know, there a certain point you cut out the middleman, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: I guess invest It.
Speaker 1: Has worked for Berkshire Hathaway, which doesn't make anything. They just invest in other companies and then people invest in them. But I don't think that game Stop is going to have the track record that Berkshire Hathaway had, especially with cryptocurrencies. Something that you know, the whole thing with Warren Buffett was We're going to look at the fundamentals of all these companies and we're going to invest in big name, big name brands that have good fundamentals in their and their financials and it's like, well, you can't actually measure that for a bitcoin, let alone any of these.
Speaker 3: Other cryptocurrencies, so what are you basing this on?
Speaker 1: And it's just you know, wishes and hopes like always, So yeah, I see what happens next.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, that's just.
Speaker 1: Uh and you know, I'm sure that the bitcoin investors are happy about this because you know, pushes up the price.
Speaker 3: So we'll see, all right.
Speaker 1: Last thing, kind of an update Nintendo switch To out in the wild though locked behind day one patch. We talked about this on the BombCast yesterday, but kind of wanted to touch on it a little bit here, especially like learning why.
Speaker 3: What is this day one patch, like what does it enable?
Speaker 1: Apparently what's happening is I don't know if it's blocking out switch to games, but apparently the people that are that have the switch to don't seem to have switched two games, or at least I have not shown that off yet. They're trying to play switch one games on there. When you do that, it prompts you to say, it prompts you with the thing says you should update to be able to play switch one games and that that is probably the day one update. And so when they reach out to the server, nothing happens, or something happens and it alerts the Nintendo Ninjas and they're coming for them.
Speaker 3: That's more likely.
Speaker 1: But the other thing that this is going to enable is micro SD express card support. So like a bunch of things just don't work on the switch to when these people are getting it. Do you think plant that this is a very much a day one thing and like the next batch of switch to s will just have the day one patch installed and this is not going to be a thing going forward. But interesting, right? Do you think Nintendo deliberately did this to avoid this scenario?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, it's right.
Speaker 2: Why why would we not think that? That seems totally reasonable. This is one of those stories that I'm kind of on the whatever side of things of I agree with you. I don't think this is a permanent thing. I think it is a first batch thing. Yeah, and I think it will be taken care of. Nintendo is being they're really feeling themselves right now, I think, and like they know where they are one of the few stable, powerful players in this space. And I think that is why we see rumors of the press not getting which is before launch or maybe even out launch. I don't know why. It just feels all very locked down.
Speaker 1: I do think, what do you need the press When you got Nintendo today, that app is gonna tell you all you need to know.
Speaker 2: It's I mean, I keep just looking at my Nintendo alarm clock and it's not telling me shit.
Speaker 3: I know, I give me these too.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, I uh, I don't know. I mean, how do you how do you feel about this is the thing that you worry about?
Speaker 3: No, not not too much.
Speaker 1: I mean worry about it in the sense that, uh, you know, these companies do feel a little bit detached and that might signify other issues. But no, I mean I think we're gonna have to get our hands on the switch to to find all the ways in which it's going to annoy us.
Speaker 3: I don't think this is gonna be one.
Speaker 1: This is very much a puddle news sort of thing, where it can cause concern before you actually have the device, and then once you get it, you're like, oh, I won't even think about that ever.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 1: I did, like, look at the micro SD express card thing. It's like, is that similar to how you have to activate the Blu ray drive play Blu Ray DVDs or a Blu Ray discs and movies on your PlayStation five year Xbox because when they do that, they have to send a consortium fee to the Blu Ray consortium, so they only activate it once you ask for it. It doesn't come activated. Apparently SD cards don't work that way. There is fees, but you pay the fee when you implement the device in the first place, so they've already paid that. So I was like, is there an explanation for some of this, because they apparently on the switch one also had a similar thing where to use an SD card you had to download an update. I'm like, well, that sounds like the Blu Ray thing. Apparently it's not that, So it's just Nintendo being strange about this.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, let them have their feelings. Everything is gravity right like right now, they're very very high. Yeah, I'm sure that the rich to will be fine, but nothing ever stays as high and nothing ever goes that's right, Like we will, we will equalize, and I think it'll be interesting few years for the company.
Speaker 3: Yes please, yep.
Speaker 1: And I'm looking forward to just getting the switch to my hands so we can actually see what the thing's about and talk about it and not have to worry about, you know, Nintendo giving us all the details, because they've actually done a pretty poor job of that so far. They've done a good job at selling the thing and getting excitement going, but actually giving us those details it's been very spotty.
Speaker 3: So we'll just get the thing ourselves and figure it out.
Speaker 2: I want to all, right, Action Gorilla game looks good, yeah, Donkey Kong, right, Yes, the Red Faction Gorilla game, of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I want to punch through those walls so bad. Plant, you have no idea?
Speaker 1: All right, we got a pull question to get to. I have this from last Friday because we were off on Monday. Let's see here. Do you want a Star Wars battle Front three? Fifty percent of people said yes, forty five percent of people said no. There's been a lot of like hype around Star Wars Battlefront two, Plant, because I think and Or got people feeling pretty good. Revenge of the Sith did well in theaters, and so it's at its highest a you know, concurrent player count on Steam right now than it's ever had. That's because it launched late on Steam. But whatever, it has a lot of players I was a little surprised to see this thing where it's like, this is just the poll question. It's the easiest thing in the world to say yes to something that you don't.
Speaker 3: Have to pay for.
Speaker 1: It's just free, like just click it and just say hey, I want this, And still forty five percent of people are like I'm good on Star Wars. I think that's going to be a divide that's going to keep something like Battlefront three from happening. What do you think multiplayer too?
Speaker 2: I mean, I know that there is a campaign, but like one, yeah, it's a multiplayer game, and not everybody is just dying for the next, you know, competitive multiplayer game.
Speaker 3: But Star Wars, Yeah, we're kind of we're kind of set on that.
Speaker 1: It feels like they got to He's already got to figure out battlefield in that space, which does It feels like that doesn't even have room for that, let alone Battlefront three.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I will say I went back and played Outlaws last week. Pretty good game. Yeah, polish the shit out of that thing.
Speaker 3: I like that game right away, and it's only gotten better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a it's like a blast. I was shocked. I bounced off of it that first go around and I'm just like zipping through it and having having a great time. So maybe this is a question I had asked my buddy Russ freshchick on on the best of these restees that we do. I'm curious for you, for an IP game, how much does a launch matter?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean for an IP game, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's it felt like it mattered the most because the you know, the upfront costs that these companies are paying that I think they need to see that it's justified in that first moment, or else they're going to have bad feelings and that's going to hurt around.
Speaker 3: That's going to hurt the game. But I don't know.
Speaker 1: Outlaws is maybe testing that a little bit for me personally, when I'm like when I'm thinking about these games, I'm like, I'm I've played through like half of Outlaws, and for me, it's still sitting there. It's like this treat I'm gonna go back to when I have a little bit of time and h and as I was finishing and or show that I just deeply, deeply love, I'm like, oh, right now I'm in the Star Wars mood. I can go back to outlaws, So I just having it there for me works really well. I don't feel the need to rush through these things at launch.
Speaker 2: That's why I ask as more. I agree that, like that's the reality we live in, but if that could change in terms of the calculus for how these companies think about these things. And I point to how Fall Up four popped and followed Something six popped after after the TV show, right, and you're we're seeing the same thing now, and should we be thinking about these sorts of games as Yeah, I get them out there, well, hope they have a good launch, But the reality is these things are going to have a different long tail than a lot of other games. They're going to reach their audience whenever these you know, other moments are going on. And especially when you see all the stats of who even plays a new game each year? Yeah, right, does the average consumer even give much of a shit about the launch or is it just like, yeah, you know what, I'm going to move for a Star Wars. There is a new one of those, right, and they pop on and play it.
Speaker 1: Yep, exactly, And it's like a lot of them are at this point waiting for things to get added to subscription services or whatever else, or to see it on sale for a black or a Steam sale or something like that. So yeah, I think people are just not motivated to move in that first instance when the game is the most expensive, especially when they've.
Speaker 3: Been trained to know that it's going to go down in price. All right, we got a new poll question. We'll get to that here in a second.
Speaker 1: Before we do that, plant, why don't you te people where they can find you on the internet what you have going on and all of that good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can find me and my new show at Post dot Games. And again that's like show if like you enjoy NPR, if you ever liked a life well wasted. I think that's like a great comp.
Speaker 3: From me, it is. I love that show. Yep.
Speaker 2: And you can also find me on The Besties and the Resties. That is a video game weekly review show basically that I do with my buddies Russ, Frushchik and Griffin and Justin mac Roy best known for Adventure Zone and my Bimbam. And you can also find me. Yeah, I don't know that's enough. Those are great places to find me.
Speaker 3: What's what's the next Besties or yeah, the next Besties episode. What's the next review?
Speaker 2: What is the next Besties episode? That's I mean probably night Rain. Yeah, Like I'm probably we're gonna kind of have to do that because it's so big, but I'm looking to see, Like what else, I mean, I'm just still working my way. Oh the one that is this Friday, we're talking about Fantasy Life. Okay, great, have you gotten into this?
Speaker 1: No, but everyone's talking about so much that I feel the need to, so I might listen to this as I play it.
Speaker 2: It is. I am not much of a two screen person. Like, if I'm gonna be watching I'm gonna be watching show. If I want to play a game, I'm gonna play a game right now. With Fantasy Life, man, Fantasy Life is a game that is meant to keep your hands busy for the rest of your life. It is truly bubble wrap the video game, just constant feedback of accomplishment. It is such a treat and very cool to see that level five. When they made the first one, they published it with Nintendo. This weirdly feels more Nintendo polished than the original, so they really committed to that bit. I'm happy to see it succeeding. Yeah, they did not have that on my Bingo card for this year.
Speaker 1: It seems like it's really fine in its audience, which is fantastic. All right, new pole question, what are you more excited for next week? Switch to launch or SGF game announcements? Do you like playing games or do you like hearing about games. I'm gonna be curious to see your responses everybody. We'll get to that poll question on Games Morning's tomorrow. Here on Giant Bomb. Speaking of Giant Bomb, in a little bit, we're gonna have Blake Club. Mike Manadi is going to be returning to Rascal Jim Henson's Rascal, where he's going to look so cool. He's just gonna look like the coolest dude you've ever seen. So look out for that.
Speaker 3: We'll get to that.
Speaker 1: Might have to be kind of a hot nighttes We've got some other stuff happening around that, but we'll see. We'll try to do our best, and then we'll be back tomorrow with Game Mess Mornings. We'll have voicemail Dump Truck. Got to find some time for night Rain this week, one one way or another, everybody, so look out for that. In the meantime, Chris planned thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talking about video games.
Speaker 3: Man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me, and.
Speaker 1: We'll make it happen again. We'll get you back on the show sometime soon. Until then, though, everybody, thank you for watching, Thank you for listening. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.
Speaker 2: He'll be Lucker, gon't be bit