Speaker 1: It's nice with Dan Ray. I'm going you easy Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Madison. As we get as we begin another week of Nightside, my name is before measured Dan Ray with us here back in the control room. I'm in the remote studio, back in the control room. And Rob Brooks. Rob gutted his way in tonight. A little bit of a little carp trouble, but nothing stops Rob Brooks. He just keeps on. He's like the energizer Bunny. So Rob, thank you for pushing through and getting there. In a little bit of a shout out to a couple of guys who hung around a little extra Luke and Dan to make sure that everything was covered up. That's teamwork, teamwork right here on WBZ. Okay, we have four very interesting guests coming up tonight. We are also going to talk later about the death of that little five year old back in late April in Hyde Park. Little boy got off a bus and the bus allegedly hit him and took his life. And there's been very little information available period, and we need to We will talk with a First Amendment lawyer on this situation and why why the information has not been forthcoming, my guest is will be Attorney Rob Perscie and Bertshee and get that pronunciation correctly. And then later on tonight I'm going to talk about a judge in trouble, Shelley Joseph, the judge who seems to be again in big troubles. Her hearing began today. They could eventually remove her from the bench and if we can get around to it. Those la riots looked pretty nasty in Los Angeles, but we have a couple of We have some optimistic stories, including the arrival of Red Sox Outfield of Room and Anthony Great author coming up about a vanishing act, a guy who was somehow able to fake his own death. We'll talk with Jerry Jamison on that. We'll talk about the value of an extra two to four cups of coffee a day. But first off, Sheriff Patrick McDermott of Norfolk County and the first Norfolk County Recovery Fest benefiting the recovery community will be held Saturday, June fourteenth, This Saturday from eleven to three, Sheriff McDermott, I know that you and the folks at the Norfolk County Sheriff's Office are really into an effort not to have people spend time in jail, but to get them onto the road of recovery. And this is the first recovery fest.
Speaker 3: Tell us about it, well, thanks Dan for having me on and give me an opportunity to share with your audience some of the great work that we're doing in the Sheriff's Office and particularly with our partnership with our friends throughout the recovery community. The four pillars the Sheriff's Office are prevention, intervention, education, and hope. And as you mentioned before, we do everything in our part to try to cut down on the amount of incarceration that goes on. And certainly most of the folks that are coming through the criminal justice system these days tragically have substance use disorder issues, alcohol related issues, and mental health issues. And so we have partnered up with over seventy vendors who are in the recovery movement to put on this great day. We're billing it as a day of music and hope with a family friendly environment, and we're inviting the members of the community, members not just the recovery community, but the community at large, to come by and give some support to this movement to make sure that people get on the right track. And it really is a labor of love and a calling for many of these recovery movement nonprofits, and specifically we're partnering up with the Way of Life Foundation at Weymouth. There are partners for this particular event, and with all the other vendors there, we really want to make it a day of hope for people. We've got a great lineup of music, We've got food for those that want to come here, and for those that know about the brain Tree Public Safety Complex at twenty fifteen Washington Street and Braintree, it is also the home of our very popular ropes course and we're going to be opening that up to the kids, maybe some adults who experience the thrilling zip line that we have. We'll also have a miniature golf opportunity and a competitive cornhole tournament sponsored by the Massachusetts Young People in Recovery.
Speaker 2: Wow. That's great, and I know that our good mutual friend Steve Sweeney will be there sharing some stories and some jokes and adding to the levity of what can be a pretty serious day for a lot of people. So it's a nice ballance. You got going.
Speaker 3: It's great. And not many people know this about Steve's any You know, most people see him as a movie star, as a comedian. They see him at Giggle, they see him at the comedy stuff. But Steve Sweeney is a committed member of the recovery community and he gives back so much more than he can possibly imagine. And he works for me at the Norfolk Sheriff's Office. I know he does some work in the Plymouth County Sheriff's Office in recovery and so, but he does that. He brings his comedy, he brings his his celebrity status to it. And we also have though not only was Steve Sweeney there, but there RMC of the day. Now, you and I Dan probably don't know this gentleman, but a gentleman by the name of Mathematics, and he's going to be in charge of keeping the audience engaged from the stage throughout the day. In Mathematics is quite a popular figure with the younger crew.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I know who Mathematics. I have all of his records, you do. I got a whole bunch of other people, I see. You have the Christian samp cham Champagne and the condresholes the blow justin clancy. So is this is as I understand it, This is open to the public.
Speaker 3: Number one, It's first and foremost, it's free. That is, it is open to the public with plenty of entertainment. We are going to be feeding everybody. We'll have our once again, we have our tactical picnic unit as we call them, the Sheriff's Office, ready to serve up some burgers and dogs for the population. And these are all you know, none of this is it's free to the public. But what we did is we partner it up with some nonprofits so to offset the cost of this. So this is being funded by tax payer money. This is this is something that we're running through our nonprofit to make sure that that folks have access to these recovery programs.
Speaker 2: That's great. So this is Saturday, June fourteenth, starts at eleven in the morning, that's perfect timing. Lunch will be served, it goes to the exactly afternoon. And you mentioned this zip line, which which should be a lot of fun. And you got this corn old tournament. Lots of stuff going on here and this is all is it indoors or partially in and partially out because in case it's a Saturday in New England, which means it may very well in all probability will rain this rain or shine tell us about it.
Speaker 3: It hasn't been sunny on a Saturday since March and unfortunately what it was.
Speaker 2: I think I believe it hasn't been sunny in a Saturday since about nineteen fifty seven. I believe ted we might be correcting for the red sox.
Speaker 3: You might be correct far back as.
Speaker 2: I remember, Sheriff, which is about nineteen fifty seven.
Speaker 3: We are forecasting though, that we're going to despite what the weather forecasters are saying. We believe that, you know, New England weather is very unpredictable, and even though on the paper today it's saying that there's a chance of showers on Saturday, this is a rain or shine event. We do have a contingency plan that we do have a big pavilion down there, that we have indoor tent set up and things of that nature, so we'll be able to run this rain or shine. But we just you know, at the end of the day, it's the message of hope that we want to get out there and we don't need sunshine to bring hope to this recovery community and this recovery festival. It's the people that are there. It's the joy that's being spread and the success stories that we're going to have with people being able to overcome addiction issues, alcohol issues, and drug addiction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my understanding is that there will be there'll be plenty of entertainment in the air that we can guarantee that in terms of our own weather forecast with a chance of laughs with Steve Sweeney, there's always a chance of laughs and a lot of entertainment, that's for sure. Sheriff, a great job you want of those committed sheriffs here in Massachusetts, which I think really is concerned about the inmates and as much as you are about public safety. And my hat's off to you. Thank you so much for joining us tonight.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. Dan appreciate it. And your audience is fantastic.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much. We'll talk soon when we get back. We have an author with a great book that my producer, Marita McKinnon found. I am fascinated and I think you'll be by our next guest. His name is Jerry Jamison, and he's going to talk about a vanishing act essentially, how I think a guy blew up a plane over the Gulf of Mexico, caused a lot of deaths and basically tried to disappear from the world. Way do you hear this one? Coming up? A little bit later on, we'll talk about the newly brought up. He's been brought up to the big Club. Roman Anthony going to talk with Dan Watkins, who's a news guy but also a big sports guy, and we're going to talk about cups of coffee. My name is Dan Ray. Again. If you haven't gotten the iHeart New and Improved iHeart app, please take advantage of it, because if you do, we are going to have a program coming up shortly available to you where if you had that app, you pull it down, just put it on all your different devices. There's going to be a microphone button on there where you can send us either the day of the night before during the thirty second voicemail message. It's a little different. It's something a little different for those of you who perhaps are a little telephonically shy. We will explain that in the next few days ahead. But all the more reason to get the new and improved iHeart App. Go to your app store and get it on your phone. You'll also be able to be with us at literally any around the world. Twenty four to seven, three sixty five A fingertip away back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everyone. We interview a lot of authors during this hour, but there's not been an author lately that I have looked forward to interviewing more than Jerry Jamison. Jerry Jamison, Welcome to Nightside. This is a fascinating book that you have written. I must be honest. I haven't read it, but I can't wait to read it. It's entitled Vanishing Act, A crashed Airliner, fake death and back room Abortions. Real life story of con artist Robert Spears. Uh, this guy faked his own death successfully. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was really only the last chapter of an outrageous life that led up to that. I mean, it's a it's a story that that stretches the imagination, but it's all true.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievably, unbelievablely true. Meaning this guy, how did he end up? I assume this occurred in the late fifties, when he had brought an airliner down, he convinced a friend of his to fly on the plane, and he kept the friends the friend's identification. What a what a bad man this guy was.
Speaker 4: The word bad does not describe it.
Speaker 2: But this is family radio.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's true. Even more profound than that is the fact that his friend was his very very best friend, his close friend, best man in each other's wedding vacation together for decades. Families were very very close. These were two men that were as close as any two brothers could possibly be. And yet he parlayed that trust and to asking his close friend brother to just carry a package on board a plane and take his plane ticket, which in the nineteen fifties you could do. You could hand over a plane ticket and said take my ticket, and all I want you to do is take this package on the plane.
Speaker 2: But he also somehow had the guy's wallet in his identification. When the guy got out of his car, what did he pick his pocket?
Speaker 4: No, it was more calculated than that. He had flown from Dallas to Tampa to meet with his buddy Al Taylor to discuss potential business business opportunity that they were going to be involved in together as partners. Al was very excited about this opportunity and they met at the Tampa International Airport just a couple of days before Thanksgiving in nineteen fifty nine, and they were talking about this business opportunity. The waitresses at the coffee shop remember him well. They were laughing, they were having a great time. Other diners remember these two guys as being so close and so happy and right before so in this situation, Al Taylor was going to drive his brand new car back to Dallas and Doctor Spears was going to fly there. They would meet together for the meetings. At the last minute. According to records, Al Taylor just happened to mention that he had a really stiff neck because he'd been in a car accident a few weeks earlier. And Doctor Spears maintains that he said, you know what, I'm up for a road trip. You give me your wallet, you give me your registration, you give me your car keys and your license. I'll drive over there. I'll drive through the night. You take my plane ticket. It's only about a forty minute plane flight and you'll be there in no time. All I need you to do is deliver this package to my wife, So don't lose the package.
Speaker 2: Which, of course I assume held the bond that blew up.
Speaker 4: It was the time bomb. It was timed, he said it, gave it to him, and twenty two minutes later the plane was at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico, never to be recovered because it actually went down so deep.
Speaker 2: So this guy's was brilliant. So how did they Well, they finally caught him. He materialized. And I don't want to give away the ending. Okay, that's not the point. The point is to get people to read the book, and I want to read the book as well. But when they finally did catch him, what did they do with him? Meaning, in other words, did he spend the rest of his life in prison? I hope.
Speaker 4: Well, no justice was not served. This is an interesting thing. Although he was named as the top ten most wanted by the FBI. In fact, Jay Abdar Hoober at the time called a specific press conference just basically to say, we are after this guy. I mean, he took down Everyone in that plane died, you know, crew and passengers, and he although everybody was looking for him, when they eventually found him, they could not pen this on him. They just didn't feel like they had enough evidence, which incidentally, I was able through the Freedom of Information Act to get all the FBI files, just thousands of pages of interviews, so I really got to the very source of it. And they just felt like they couldn't charge him. So what they did is they charged him. And this will be very similar to the al Capone tax evasion story. They charged him for transporting a stolen vehicle across state lines for that car that he drove. Now that sent him to Terminal Island in Long Beach for five years. And in a very very cinematic scene when he walks out of prison, the classic, you know, the big gates open up and he walked, sat in his cheap suit. He took two steps outside and he was arrested by the LAPD and sentenced to ten years in prison for abortion.
Speaker 2: Wow. And I assume and hope that he has moved on to his just rewards, whether you believe it in afterlife or not.
Speaker 4: Well, he is a long run.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what I though.
Speaker 4: He was released on humanitarian grounds because he had cancer, and he died in his bed of a heart attack one year later.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing that's horrible about that is that he was given to humanitarian considerations, but he didn't give humanitarian considerations of the people on that area.
Speaker 4: And yeah, the irony of it all is and through the whole book Vanishing Act, it's written like a novel. So your listeners understand it's written like a novel. It's a page turner. I mean you yourself when you go to read it, you'll be reading is I mean, you'll turn those pages as quickly as you can because one thing leads to another so quickly, and and it's just a fast and hinks story because well, we are fascinating with.
Speaker 2: These sort of stories, Jerry, I mean when you think about the guy that you know that that hijacked the plane and a dB cooper who parachuted out of the back of the plane. They never found him, they find some of the money. That's the next story you should be working on, because you did a great job on this. And I think that a lot of people are going to be interested in reading this book, uh and just getting the backstory. How does someone like this become that that inhuman, that inhuman that he not only you know, send his friend to his death, but whoever, many people are on that plane. And I'm sure there were people going home for Thanksgiving to see family members that probably were some kids, some older folks, some grandparents maybe, And but oh god, what a what an evil evil SOB, you know.
Speaker 4: You're exactly right, if you know, anytime there's a plane crash, even today, right the next day of the newspaper, are these heartbreaking, heartrending stories of you know, the personal lives that were involved in the people that were going back. You know, somebody was going to a wedding, people are seeing grandchildren. I mean, all of these horrible stories enlisted right among them in the newspapers is you know, acclaimed obg y n doctor Robert Spears is among those.
Speaker 3: That are lost.
Speaker 4: Incidentally, he never told his wife and children about this, and they were in agony and torment that their you know, husband and father was killed in this plane crash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he was obviously trying to go create. Wow. Look, Jerry, I've really enjoyed the interview Jerry Jamison. The book is Vanishing Act a crashed airliner, faked death and backroom abortions. Read the life story of con artist Robert Spears. The subject of his book is the personification of evil, Jerry, I assume it's available on Amazon and bookstores. Do you want to send anybody, any of my listeners to a specific website. Some of our authors will have a website where they'll inscribe books that they will send out to people who purchase them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anybody can contact me through my website Jerry Jamison dot com, J A. M. I. S. O. N. Jerry Jamison dot com. But the book itself is available any place you want to get a book.
Speaker 2: Well, that's great, best of luck with this. It's a great story. Maybe a few months from now we'll have you back and we can have you tell the whole story. But I didn't want the whole story to be told tonight. I've interviewed enough authors to know you kind of.
Speaker 4: The story is huge and fascinating, and I know your listeners would love to hear. He is a con artist like you, could not conceive the things that he did in his lifetime of people that lined up to hand him money.
Speaker 2: I hope wherever he is now, he's being that justice has finally found him. If you get my drift. Thanks Jerry, appreciate your.
Speaker 4: Time absolutely, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: All Right, Well, the Red Sox are down three to one to Tampa Bay and Roman Anthony has made his debut. We're going to be talking with WBZ news anchor, also sports reporter, guy who probably loves baseball as much as I do, Dan Watkins, about the debut the much anticipated debut of Red Sox right fielder tonight, Roman Anthony, coming back right after the news at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: Night side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, we normally don't like the publicize what's going on on other venues at this point, but there's a an event going on at Fenway Park tonight that draws a little bit more notice than a Monday night game against the Tampa Bay Rays would ordinarily with us IS news anchor, also sports reporter and sports fanatic good friend Dan Watkins, Dan, what took them so long to call up Roman Anthony from the miners. I mean, it's this team has been struggling and they needed a jump start. I'm not sure if he's going to provide that jump start, but boy, he arrives amongst such great anticipation. He's being described as the number one prospect in all the minor leagues.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, that is the million dollar question, right what has taken them so long. There's several reports out there Dan that you know, they've been really trying to make sure that they have his service time under control and without getting way you know, too much into the details, and then the weeds here on this. Basically, they want to make sure that he doesn't have a full year of service time right now this year in twenty twenty five, so they can get an extra year before he hits free agency when he's like twenty seven years old and he's in the prime of his career. So it's really hard.
Speaker 2: My understanding is that that service time it used to be, you know, he had to be up for the entire season, so they could keep a guy down a few of the dates in April. Nowadays they based it upon at bats abs, So if you have an adequate number of at bats, even though you might play three and a half months, you can get you can get credit for a year service time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's that, and then there's also, if you want to go even further into this, if he finishes in the top two of the Rookie of the Year voting, he's given a full year of service time. As well. So there's a lot of different ways that the Red Sox are playing the long game with this. But like you kind of hinted at there before, this team desperately needs a spark now. They had a great weekend in the Bronx, taking two out of three from the Yankees, which I don't think anybody really saw coming, especially with the way Friday Night went. But this is a team Dan that just this entire season, they've failed to build on any momentum that they've been trying to generate here. They haven't won three games in a row since the end of April. They're trying to do that night.
Speaker 2: With all due respect to the two out of three in the Bronx, which was great, don't get me wrong, but they didn't face the best Yankee pitchers, at least the best starters they avoided just through the luck of the draw. You know, the rotations work around, And I mean the guy that they that they beat on Saturday night, Yarborough, used to be a spot starter and a long reliever for Tampa.
Speaker 5: Bay, right, They were very familiar with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and he doesn't throw hard enough to break a painted glass from what I understand, Rodin Rodin last night. I mean he looked unhittable for four innings and then they lit him up.
Speaker 1: They did it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, five home runs last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but but it was it was the rest of the hits as well. I mean, they dominated that game. And even when the Yankees got it close and it was back to it went from seven three to seven five, they popped, you know, four more runs or something, so they they looked like a different ball team in New York, you know. And it'll be great to have Anthony back. Have you seen Anthony play in person yet? Hit a home run the other night. I guess it was just short of five hundred feet it was. It was Babe Ruthiean I guess four hundred ninety seven feet. Yeah. Yeah, Not that I'm comparing him to Babe Roof. I want to make clear of that.
Speaker 5: It sounds it sounds like you're saying the red seat of Fenway's in trouble.
Speaker 2: It might be if it could be lord to pull the ball a little bit. That was direct to do a center field.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was like a right center It was a shot. I have not seen him in person yet. I'd been meaning to get out to Worcester. I've heard great things about the ballpark. I have not gotten out there yet, but maybe I'll get over to Fenway here in the next couple of weeks to see him. But this, this kid is he is the most hyped Red Sox prospect I since at least Xander broke Bogarts in twenty thirteen when he came up at the end of the year. I mean, you could probably go further than that, because, as you mentioned, number one prospect in all of baseball this year. I mean maybe since a guy like like no More Garcia Para in the nineties. But Anthony has been crushed.
Speaker 2: Couple back even further do it say that he and again a little bit of this might be geographically based, but I think that he was the most anticipated Red Sox rookie. You got to go back to Tony Kennilo fourteen sixty four. I mean, because of course, you know, Tony c was a Lynn guy, Lynn kid, you know, went to Saint Mary's in Lynn and all of that, and he was much anticipated and he delivered the hype. I mean, he was I think the fastest. He killed one hundred home runs, right, hundred home runs, So and if it had not been for that that Aaron fastball from the Oriole pitcher that night, his career might have turned out quite differently. So let's hope that this guy stays. He's only twenty one. Is it Florida kid? I think I heard him. He grew up in Florida. Yep.
Speaker 5: He was the Florida's Gatorade Player of the Year as a senior when he led his high school team to back to back state titles and a national title too in high school baseball. I guess according to ESPN, which I was reading earlier tonight, he was drafted in twenty twenty two. He is just skyrot through the miners. He reached double A in his first full season in twenty twenty three, dominated between double A and triple A last year and then this year at Worcester. I mean, he had basically just been waiting to get this call up here this afternoon, and he was in two eighty eight through fifty eight games. Is on base percentage is over four to twenty, which is ridiculous. Ten home runs, twenty nine RBIs, forty five runs scored and just fifty six strikeouts and two hundred and sixty five played appearances while drawing fifty one walks, so he could really be a breath of fresh air. And if he could live up to the hype, or at least, you know, even come up to like fifty percent of that hype, would be a huge addition for the middle of this Red Sox lineup that is completely different than it was on opening day, mostly due to injuries, but also to Trevor Story having a rough season as well. But when you look at what they looked like on opening day, Dan with Alex Bregman and Tristan Cassis and Story in the three four to five spots, those guys are all you know, two of them are out of the lineup right now. Cossus has done for the year. Bregman maybe we'll see him, you know, sometime this summer, and then Story's been struggling. They got him. I think he's back here and forth tonight. But they need some pop in the middle of that lineup, hoping that Anthony and the rest of the Big three with Christian Campbell and Marcella Meyer can provide them that jolt that they desperately need here in the middle of this lineup.
Speaker 2: I guess Roman Anthony drove himself. I guess he was only told sometime in mid afternoon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was like three, you know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they held him back, but his equipment bag was on the team bus heading to Lehigh Valley, and he drove his own car the mass Strudpike.
Speaker 5: Yep, no, you'll get the hill Marrabelli escort tonight.
Speaker 2: No, no, nothing, nothing from the airport. Didn't even get close to the airport. But then there was a great picture of Tommy mcgloughlin, who's the Red Sox equipment manager, helping him carry this stuff in. And you just thought to yourself, how hyped are you going to be if you're a twenty one year old driving down the mass Turnpike seeing Boston appear in the skyline and knowing that you're heading to Fenway Park and you're gonna be playing in right field.
Speaker 5: It's whoa, Yeah, it's a great story. I mean, I'm sure his head is still spinning. He made an error tonight out in right field.
Speaker 2: I understand that. Unfortunately yet well, he apparently did not have his own glove with him. I think he had to borrow someone's glove. Was it a fly ball? I didn't see that.
Speaker 5: No, he was it was it was it was a ground ball into the outfield. He was approaching and he must have taken his eye off. It went right by him.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well that happened. That happened. That happened to the bray you a couple of weeks ago, same thing and just under the glove. Yeah, and that that's a mistake that that occasionally gets made. Hey, Dan Watkins, enjoyed talking sports, enjoyed talking news with you, just enjoy talking with him. My man, thank you for for pinch hitting for me tonight. Anytime called you off the bench and you were there and you delivered anytime. Dan, Thanks Dan Watkins at WBZ News and Sports. When we get back. For those of you like me who are coffee drinkers, we're gonna let you know the drinking a couple of cough cop a couple of of cups of coffee a day actually can be good for you. That's what they say now. Who knows what they'll say next year or next week, but that's what they're saying now. We're going to talk about that right after the break and looking forward to this conversation as well. It's been a fun Monday night. Here on Nightside, stay with us. We have some serious topics once we get past the nine o'clock news.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray ONBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, for you coffee drinkers, you're gonna like what you're about to hear. I think. Joining us is Professor Sarah Madavi. She's an adjunct professor of nutritional sciences at the University of Toronto. Lead study in the author of this study, which essentially says drinking two to four cups of coffee a day actually improve your odds at healthy aging. I got a lot of questions, Professor Madavi, how are you this evening, Welcome to Boston and welcome to New England to Nightside. How are you?
Speaker 6: I'm doing well?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 6: How are you? I had my two cups of coffee today, so I'm feeling great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm kind of a two cup guy in the morning. And I gotta tell you, I never drank coffee until I was probably and well I was in middle age. I was not a coffee drinker. And then I was working as a television reporter. I started working the morning shift for eleven years and the only thing I could drink to stay awake in the morning was coffee. Everywhere you turned, it was coffee. And I guess I'm kind of a coffee junkie at this point. I like my coffee and it's good for us now, didn't they used to say it was bad for you, and now they're saying it's good. How do we figure out who's right who's wrong?
Speaker 6: You know what? It was such a good question. And as I've listened to you and I think about midlife, you know, there is a reason why there are so many crises affiliated with midlife because there is just so much pressure on everybody and our bodies are starting to feel not like themselves as we were in our twenties. So what we're finding here is kind of interesting now that the effect side, meaning like you know, the magnitude of contribution is still small. But the fact that we looked at these cohorts for you know, over thirty years, and we had over fifty thousand individuals that we looked at, you know, for this coffee consumption gives us you know, good, you know, a good feeling about our finding. But it is still small, and I just want to, you know, let you know, and the listeners that you know, some of those really good habits are still going to be your best bet in healthy aging. But if you don't drink coffee, it doesn't agree with you. You don't have to start. It's just one way to feel good if you do consume it. But you don't have to worry as much. But certainly you know there is different you know, a school oft when it comes to coffee. And the reason for that is because this research is still emerging. So even for us this is preliminary analyses. Although we're seeing some positive associations, perhaps if we look at you know, interindividual differences, meaning that the differences between people and how coffee is good for one person maybe not so much for the other, we might find different results might actually be better for some people I'm not so great for others.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you a related question. Okay, and if this is not in your area of expertise, not a problem. I for years and years and years have used the artificial sweetener. I use splendor, and then someone said to me, no, you should just use pure sugar cane. So I got some Domino pure sugarcane. Does that make a huge difference whether you're using an artificial sweetener or pure sugarcane, because the pure sugarcane doesn't quite give me as much of a pleasant flavors as splendor. I'm not doing an ad for splendor here, but was there any sort of corollary, uh, you know, consideration that you gave to how you sweeten your coffee, whether you drink it with cream, without cream, half and half or whatever, you know what.
Speaker 6: It's a it's a great question you bring up, and it's something that probably a lot of people think about. The golden rule is really dependent on how much of it you're consuming. So how many cups of coffee a day would you say that you consume two?
Speaker 2: Two?
Speaker 1: True?
Speaker 6: And then how much sugar do you say that you put in there?
Speaker 2: Four splin put in a total of four splendors, two splendors or or two cubes, you know, two sugar cubes per per caution.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you'd be fine either way that amount of you know, splendor, which is you know, kind of like what we call a sugar alcohol or a regular sugar or raw sugar. Any of those are fine because they're not really large amounts to make the difference either way. Now, if you were a kind of person who's consuming you know, maybe four or five cups, or you'd like your two kIPS of coffee really sweet, then that would be a different, different conversation. And then on top of that, if you add that perhaps if you have the risk of diabetes, or if you have diabetes, then I would certainly not encourage you know, that individual to be consuming the regular sugar because that can really spike your blood blood sugars and you know, cause some additional problems. But you were sorry for health centifers. I think you're good either way. And and uh, you know, if you enjoy one over the other, I don't think you're going to find harm or or really any any specific benefit either one.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. What about people? Is it better to drink it black? If people can can deal with it black and with nothing, no half and half, no cream or anything like that, no no sugar, no no splendor, is it better if you can drink it black?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a great question too. So I think we have this thought that things that are good for us must either feel bad or taste awful. But that doesn't have to be there, right, you know. Often we actually had a research paper that came out last year, and we looked at edition of sugar as well as you know, milk or cream when we found and this now this was specific to weight loss. So individuals who consumed coffee with milk, cream or black they seemed to be able to keep weight off easier. Now those who were consuming it with sugar, they didn't gain or lose weight. It's just that drinking the coffee that they were having was not giving them any benefits. Now, I don't know if that's the case with healthy aging and the analysis that we've done. We haven't looked at the addition of sugar NOLP, but I would suspect it might be similar because I yeah, by the virtue of you know, if you're drink lot, like I said, you know, if you're drinking one or two cups and you're not making the super sweet, it probably won't make a difference. But if you're starting to look at three four cups or you really like it sweet, then you know you're getting a lot of extra calories, even if it comes from rassia or honey. You know, those extra calories unless you're on the treadmill or you know, exercising to burn those off, they will turn into express weight, which most people don't want.
Speaker 2: You have been a great guest and I really appreciate all the information you gave us, not only on your study, but you know, ancillary education. Thank you so much, Professor Sarah Sarah Maha Madavi. I've hoped got Madavi okay, Adjunct Professor Nutritional Services at the University of Toronto, and thank you so much for your time time. This was great and I think it helped a lot of people.
Speaker 6: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Have a good night you too, professor, appreciate it all. Right. When we get back, we're going to talk about getting answers of a fatal block a bus crash that took the life of a five year old boy here in Hyde Park about six weeks ago. We're going to be talking with an attorney who is involved with the New England First Amendment Coalition. He wants more information and he feels the public has a right to know. Coming back on night Side,