Speaker 1: Weird.
Speaker 2: Welcome back midnight if you wish to Father Malone's weekly round Up. I am them alone and with me as always, is a yummy girl herself, Miss Ripley. G and say hello Ripley, And We've got a very special guest sitting in with us this week here on the round Up, all the way from the Sunshine Cab Company. Mister HPHP, how are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing well for them alone? How are you today?
Speaker 2: I'm very well listened. There was no round Up last week. Everybody, I know everyone was disappointed because I got a shit ton of mail asking if I was okay, which is actually very heartening, so thank you. Yes, I'm fine. It's just that this is a streaming and new release show that I'm just doing in tandem with the other show, which means I'm covering newer material, which means I don't necessarily have an opinion on that material before I come in. But I know that this show began with an idea toward leaning in the direction of recommending things that are good rather than beating up on things that were bad. And previous two season, the previous two episodes of The Roundup, where I covered Final Destination and Mission Impossible were both kinds of slogs for me, and I felt bad slagging them off. This past week, I went and saw the new Wes Anderson movie and I fucking hated it and h and I was just depressed all weekend long, not wanting to fucking put more negativity out there. I ended up just not putting out an episode. As soon as I decided not to, I felt great. And so anyway, that's a bad movie. It's a It's a poor man's version of the Royal ten and bombs. If that makes sense. You'll see it when you When you see the movie, you'll understand what I mean. Ultimately, that's it. But this week, holy fuck, we have a spectacular entertainment. Even if I'm making fun of it. It's so hard to describe. We're talking about the very first annual Yummy Awards on nbc HP. Where were you when the Yummy Awards first first hit the air? Did you have Yummy Awards part every year? I did.
Speaker 3: I had a little checklist, Who's gonna win the Yummy for the performer whose name is easiest to spell? Or the best series about a barbarian and an evil wizard, which were both actual Yummy awards that were awarded. Uh, this would have been nineteen eighty three. So this this was Wheelhouse for us father alone for Saturday morning cartoon enjoyment. So I to be honest, I don't remember for seeing this, but clearly when I when I looked this up on YouTube, the full show, there were a lot of people saying, wow, I remember this, and oh I missed it because it got preempted by this. That so this was a thing. This is a big deal. I it just passed me by. Do you have any memory of it?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I remember seeing it when I was a kid, and I remember at the time, even knowing full well what they were doing that this was not an awards show. This was a sham. Was yet another yet another attempt to introduce children to their new lineup of Saturday morning television series. They did this every year, don't you remember, Like every series, every network, every year we would have some sort of get to know your new television series special, CBS, NBC, ABC, they would all do it. And this was the kids version. Because I guess kids today can't remember. I'm sure everyone listening to this show is old enough to remember. But we used to have a block of children's programming on Saturday mornings. That was it for us other than reruns after school before regular programming took over and kids were banished to the bedroom.
Speaker 3: Sure, and there were a myriad of ways that networks would self promote their own programming and their own shows. Obviously that were one of the other big examples, which we're not going to get into too much, but things like Battle of the Network Stars, which is not a direct comparison to this sham awards show, but that would typically feature the prominent stars of the day, the Happy Days team or the Verretta team or what have you. But I don't but this particular piece of promotional material got by me.
Speaker 2: Mettal The network stars are effectively promotional tools. It's get to know your stars of your favorite shows. We've mentioned the stars, we mentioned the shows, but at least you're getting to see them play tugle war. This this is a fake awards show where every nominee is the only nominee in a category just for that show. The utter insanity of it.
Speaker 3: What's fascinating is when I so let me back up. The whole reason behind this becoming unearthed for me was that father Malone sent me as he does, as we do for each other. We'll send each other little clips, little not memes necessarily, but a funny clip from this or that show or what have you. And he sent me a clip from what I later came to know was The Yummy Awards nineteen eighty three, and I said, I have to does the full version exist because the clip you sent me with so bonkers? And sure enough it does. But what I came to learn in my research was that this show was produced and directed by a guy named Jeff Margolis, who would go on to produce and direct dozens of real awards shows and telecasts, the American Music Awards, the Oscars, the Country Music Awards, you name it. This guy was the producer director of those. So this comes with a pedigree, is my point. And it's shot like you would expect the Oscars to be shot, is it not.
Speaker 2: You can totally believe this is an awards show. As I said, I watched most of it even as a kid and thought, well, this isn't actually an awards show, and like, wait a minute, because it looks and sounds there's a red carpet sequence coming in, there's all the introductionary stuff. There's songs and dances. It's got it all. It's got an audience peopled with terribly scary children in tuxedos clapping along as if any of this makes sense.
Speaker 3: It's like a bugsy below version of the Academy Awards audience because it's kids. But they're kids in actual like formal wear, with nice dresses and tuxedos and white gloves and the whole bit. And they're just having a great old time in the audience. They're eating it up.
Speaker 2: Now. The host of our show, Star of the Day, Star of Silverspoon, Star of the champ, he'll eventually be rick here, He's Ricky. Ricky Schroeder got kind of a lisp.
Speaker 3: He does have a lisp, and I was actually struck. I didn't know that he was from New York natively. He's born in Brooklyn. I think he has such a thick New York accent that came through while he's talking. I had no idea. I thought that he that was a put on when he did NYPD Blue, But he is actually a native New Yorker. I was surprised by that.
Speaker 2: Right around this time period, I had a friend who vacationed in New York with his family and they were visiting Saint Patrick's Cathedral. Seated in the pew in front of him was Ricky Schroeder, and at one point he leaned forward and said, excuse me, are you Ricky Schroeder? And Ricky Schroeder leaned back, placed his arms behind his head in a superstar move and said, that's my name. Don't wear it out. And my friend said, I think you're a prick. Oh boy. Okay, so Ricky has given out a voice. There's not all ton to this. You know, we're going to get to each segment. Oh do we begin with a first of all? Before we go any further. As HB has mentioned, this is on YouTube. Search for NBC Saturday Morning Preview the Yummy Awards or Preview Morning Preview nineteen eighty three Yummy Awards, either one. You're looking at the forty seven forty eight minute version of the show. You are going to love it. You're going to be baffled by it. Oh my god. It just started auto playing on my end and it scared me.
Speaker 3: I will say. The version that I found on YouTube was the full forty eight minute version, but the clip itself. The video was about an hour and a half. Did you find this one? Father alone? The last half of this actually more than half, because it's like twice as long was they had kept recording. They recorded an episode of Saturday Super K. Do you remember that show?
Speaker 2: I remember that's like a like an arcade where children compete, right, No, no.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, that's Starcad. You're thinking of Starcad where they're playing like Dragon's Lair.
Speaker 2: And oh yeah, that is what I'm thinking of.
Speaker 3: This was called Saturday Super K. This was a block of cartoons based on video game characters. So you had Cubert had his own cartoon, Kangaroo had their own cartoon. The episode on this YouTube clip, which I would encourage everybody to seek out, featured Frogger. Froger had his own cartoon, Father, Donkey Kong Pitfall, and Donkey Kong Junior.
Speaker 2: Pitfall. Yeah, okay, Pitfall makes sense. It's an adventurous sort of video game. By the way, I remember that. Remember the commercial for Pitfall with young Jack Black?
Speaker 3: Yeah, with Pitfall, Harry John by giant scorpion man eating crocodile. Did you know Allanalda was a pitch man for Atari computers back in the early eighties.
Speaker 2: I didn't, but makes sense.
Speaker 3: There's a whole slew of the commercials. You have to check him out because he's because Allanalda is naturally kind of an inquisitive. He puts on this inquisitive kind of like, oh, I know this is technology I don't know anything about. And the whole point is Tari computers are so easy to use. It's like a match made in heave, and you should check those out to Alan all the Atari computers.
Speaker 2: Al the four seasons man.
Speaker 3: Indeed, So anyway, I echo your entreaty encourage people go seek out the Yummy Awards and watch it, and then maybe check out this podcast so you'll know what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Before we do anything. We cut to our song, right, This is how our fucking show begins, This interminable fucking dirge by the bye by that dude from Fame.
Speaker 3: Crystal Hart Lee Carreri. He was from Fame and he did a movie with Tawny Katine called Crystal Heart. Do you remember that movie chusing a boy in the boy in the bubble situation where he was him Yeah, she.
Speaker 2: Was dancing seductively for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a dead ringer from MTV v J Mark Goodman, remember Mark Goodman.
Speaker 2: Mark Goodman had way more charisma.
Speaker 3: Then, but he looked just like him though.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because he's got that sort of it all. It's the perm again, my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the song he sings, I don't know that. It's like everyone's a win. And he goes through all of the cartoons. He references Thunder the Barbarian, he references Alan Alvin and the Chipmunks and you name it, like the Hulk, Spider Man. It's great. It's just great. I mean it's terrible.
Speaker 1: Everyone's when two nights will celibrate, the one that always keeping Stile and Stone a styles bed Rock, pep.
Speaker 2: Way, Miss. You won't believe what They've got a family. It's understandable. Like Lee Correr is probably not making a ton of money on Fame. They're not really focusing on his character that much.
Speaker 3: The TV show was was going and it was popular at the time, so it's not like he was.
Speaker 2: There was a touring act. He was probably touring with it, right, playing his synthesizers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't know if Fame had like it was like the Ice Capades they had a touring version of Fames.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah. They came out on stage and they performed all their hits, and by that I mean the hits of everybody else.
Speaker 3: Was Irene Kara involved.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just remember that that dummy character, the big nosed Italian character, you know, the one I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'd probably do, but I can't think of it.
Speaker 2: I remember him singing little red Corvette and thinking this is so wrong.
Speaker 3: You could have to look this up. He was on the TV show or the movie or both.
Speaker 2: No, he he was strictly TV show. Lee Carreri is one of the few people from who made the transition from the movie to the TV show, meaning he was one of the more desperate.
Speaker 3: Ones looking here. Oh, Debbie Allen was in Fame. I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: Oh oh yeah, she made her bones on that TV show like she you know she she's the one counting in the the opening speech, the you gotta want it more than anything, Fame Gonna live forever.
Speaker 3: It's implied that he did some of the other music for this show is a little because there's other there's other songs that we'll get into, but but this opening number is like perfect for the ridiculousness of everything that's going on, because it's it's kind of harkens back to those old because nowadays the Oscar telecast is rather reserved. They don't take a lot of chances with you know, singing and dancing numbers.
Speaker 2: It's a wonderful night for Usker User.
Speaker 3: They don't do that stuff anymore, and it's a shame.
Speaker 2: Do you listen to that Bruce Valance podcast by any chance?
Speaker 3: No, I didn't know he had a podcast.
Speaker 2: He has an Oscar podcast where they pick a year and then they read the list of nominees and he gives his opinion as to why those people were nominated and who won and who should have won.
Speaker 3: It's fascinating, That's exactly the word I was going to say. That sounds fascinating because he would he was a writer in all those shows, right.
Speaker 2: For nineteen I think different shows he was a writer on it. But so you're not only getting that with like hands on he was there, but like even on shows where he was not a participant, where he can say something like the directors are the ones who nominate this guy, these guys and so clearly they were feeling this way that year, and you got to remember this was going on and this was in the air at the time, and it's like a context. Got it. Okay, I don't know where we are next. Do we give an award away? Do we meet that stupid robot? What's happening here?
Speaker 3: So it's back up a little litle bit. Now. You talked about Ricky Schroeder is the host, and it has to be said he he comports himself. Well, he's probably like ten or eleven years old at the time, and he's fine. The master of ceremonies. You didn't talk about the Master of ceremonies father alone, Dwight Schultz, Mad Murdoch from these me, sir, I'm sorry, I will say before we get to his role in this. I was always very unsettled by Murdoch on the A team. I don't know how you felt about him. There was something so legitimately unhinged about his performance. I was always on edge because it was never clear like it was mental illness, and I always felt uncomfortable with him doing his thing. I don't know. There was something not right about him, not in a funny way either.
Speaker 2: Murdoch was my favorite character, and I always felt the whole thing was an act that he was fooling everybody. So I never felt that there was any sort of danger to him in that regard. I never felt like he was out of control.
Speaker 3: And I had the opposite. But what you're saying makes sense. Obviously my favorite actor, I mean, I was maybe not not very interesting in that regard. In my favorite is obviously mister T. And later I liked Hannibal because who doesn't love George Papard The guy's the man. But anyway, Dwight Schultz is the master of ceremonies. They keep referring to him as howling mad Murdoch on the A team. So he is tag teaming this whole Awards show with Ricky Schroeder. But so Lee Correria comes out, does his number. Now, the thing of it is the format of this show I was not prepared for, is what they end up doing. Essentially, whenever there's an award to be presented, they pair up an actor from a current NBC sitcom with an oldie time children's host or character from like the forties or fifties, so you will get some girl from give me a Break. And she came out with Gumby or you'll get.
Speaker 2: Like Jim Fields two d Well.
Speaker 3: She came out with the Smurfs, which is weird also, but like Tina yothers, Tinay others. They keep calling her Yoders.
Speaker 2: Which I think is the actual pronunciation. By the way, is Yoda is.
Speaker 3: The actual Okay, Tina Yolda.
Speaker 2: If she's in the room and they're saying it and she's not correcting them, then yes, that's her real name.
Speaker 3: She came out with the actual Bozo the clown, which.
Speaker 2: Was very unfunny.
Speaker 3: That well, that's the what I'm getting at here. Like they also, you see there's features for Kukla, Frian and Alie. Pinky Lee comes out, Paul Winchell and Jerry Mahoney, the Ventriloquist Act come out. It's heartbreaking, father alone, how little response these old timers are getting from the audience they.
Speaker 2: Made the audience of toddlers in fucking formal where.
Speaker 3: It's a self fulfilling situation because these kids were not even these.
Speaker 2: Kids today, and by kids barely out of Diaper's children. The genius of.
Speaker 3: Pinky there's no way they're they're gonna know. Paul Winchell and Jerry mahoney. But it's but they just they persist in this conceit and it runs through the whole show. At one point that this is aside from these awards, these fake awards are giving out, there's a tribute to Kukla, Frinn and Alie where they come out the stage is there, the puppeteer and the they're they're all pain painfully old at this point, and it's crickets through this whole fucking thing, and eventually the whole point of it is eventually the puppeteer part of it. The guy who actually operates the puppets comes out and in his finest tuxedo and gives Fran a ki And it's supposed to be like like anyone who grew up with them, it might be kind of a nice thing. These kids didn't grow up with Kuka, Fran and Ali. They didn't grow up with Boso the clown. They have no idea what they're seeing, what the import of that is. It's so you could hear a pin drop through this whole sequence. It is so sad. I felt so bad for them. Fata alone.
Speaker 2: I will say this, At the time, we as children respected our television elders. We knew they were there, even if we had no direct contact with them. We all knew ed Sullivan. We knew Boso even if we never had any, and we had our own boso. We had a regional boso. Well I liked better than I liked our boso, better than the actual boso. Can I just say that? Is that just being me? Is that me being provincial?
Speaker 3: Are you talking about boso or WILLI whistle? Do you remember Willy whistle?
Speaker 2: I will murder WILLI whistle? What are you talking about? Am I talking about Bozo or Willy Whistle? That guy can drown and he can whistle for help and no one will help him.
Speaker 3: I guess we did have a boso, you know what? I I think I had heard so, mister, Yeah, I think Do you remember Frank av Rusche used to do the Great Entertainment, the Tea, the movie, the late night movie show on Saturdays. He used to be a boso locally.
Speaker 2: Did you know that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I think I'd heard that somewhere anyway. As a related note, anyone who grew up in bo in the Boston area in the late seventies early eighties you'll know who Frank av ruche is and you'll also maybe remember Boso the clown.
Speaker 2: At the time, there were lots of regional Bosos. Every area had them, every portion of the United States had their own Boso, but ours was the best. Here's the real Boso, and he's terrible. I hate him.
Speaker 3: He seemed rather gruff, and like I said, there was just for me, there was something personally heartbreaking about these old causers coming out and getting zero response. Logically speaking, it makes sense because these are these are like seven eight year old kids. They're not going to know who any of these entertainers are. But it was kind of a bummer the whole thing. Honestly, on a high level, this whole thing reminds, first of all, you could not produce something like this today, not in the same way at all, because there's a lack of any sort of sarcasm or satire about the whole thing. It's all it's crass, yes, but it's presented in a way that the kids will enjoy it, and there's no subterfuge for the kids anyway. But for me, for us, it's like something it's like something out of Smigel's TV Funhouse or something that do you know, who Scott Gardner is, father Malone. Have you ever heard of Scott Gardner. He's actually a very good He's a comedy writer, producer. He's written for Conan, he was. He got famous initially because he did a lot of funnier die sketches. He did the Tron Holiday Special, which is amazing. If have you ever seen it?
Speaker 2: Yes, on your recommendation. I saw it.
Speaker 3: It still makes me laugh. He did Michael McDonald's Tricking It to the Treat, which I watch every hell he.
Speaker 2: Knew we were going to get back to yacht Rock. Okay, enough of this follow.
Speaker 3: Sorry anyway, there was there was something so purely bizarre about the whole proceeding that that's that's what I'm reminded of these great comedy minds of today. But Conan, Yeah, Conan, Conan, Conan, Conan, Conan, thank you? Did I say Conan?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, Conan O'Brien. I think it's talking about it.
Speaker 3: He swings the sword. No, sorry, sorry, Conan mystica.
Speaker 2: So speaking of barbarians, can we just jump? Can we just jump to my favorite part of this? The whole reason I start I got reinvigorated here is because okay, they do two things here. They'll introduce a cartoon and then have a cartoon character animated onto the podium, and it's terrible, and it's just it's the worst like slap dash version of live action animation mixing. You can possibly imagine just the fact that there's nothing, there's no like reflection on this highly shiny surface that all of these animated characters are standing up. Anyway, never mind that, because the other thing that they do is they have costumed people come out as the characters. So you're getting like sidekick and or theme park versions of superheroes and not superheroes. Thunder the Barbarian comes out with his sidekick, Ukule of the Mock and it's a full costume. Now listen, you don't laugh at me, pal, I love Oukula the mo.
Speaker 3: Well, that was the original clip that you sent me, was the fundar in Oukla and the I don't remember who the female character is on the show, but they come out and they get the award for Best Series about a Barbarian and an evil wizard, and it's that's what prompted me to go try to find the full episode. But it's great because like you're you're kind of under selling it to me. These aren't like theme park versions of the costumes. This is like Hollywood Boulevard skivie guy who wants you to pay him twenty bucks to take a picture with them. Like the Gumby is terrible.
Speaker 2: The Gumby is really bad. And he makes an Eddie Murphy joke really weirdly.
Speaker 3: That was creepy because he comes out and I don't. I think it's that that girl I referenced from Give Me a Break. And he comes out and he says, it's almost like existential. He says, am I really here? After seeing Eddie Murphy's impression so many times, I couldn't be sure, And like you get this feeling like companies like I don't know who I am anymore. It's bizarre.
Speaker 2: Well, am, I don't bring up Pokey I clumb. He is a decent man. He deserves better than this.
Speaker 3: I just want to go home. Can I go home? It is but these costumes like Fred and Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble come up to get an award and they do a little soft shoe routine. But even they, like Alvin and the Chipmunks, they all just have this grungy look to the to the costumes. At one point, Spider Man swings in and it's like Spider Man, but he's had a few too many Big Max. He doesn't quite fit into the costume anymore.
Speaker 2: And the mask itself is like really pinched in a weird way, so he just looks like an alien.
Speaker 3: It is like anyone who remembers the original Spider Man television show remembers, like the they didn't figure out how to do the eye islets for the mask, so they get stretched out and the islets get very narrow and it's hard to see how they could even see out of these things. That's what happens. This guy is a big guy that they squeezed into a Spider Man outfit. Everything is kind of not really that well situated on his head.
Speaker 2: But not only Spider Man, but his amazing friends show up, Firestar and Iceman. Iceman and his semi styrofoam looking it's like foam rubber.
Speaker 3: He squeezed into this costume, and uh, and I don't I don't know who anyone trying.
Speaker 2: At what point did we start trying for superhero costumes? When did this somebody say not good enough? Was it?
Speaker 3: Well? Was it?
Speaker 2: Richard Donner with that Superman costume. Was it Tim Burton with the Batman costume? I think the mock.
Speaker 3: It was just so weird because these three, these three barbarian types come out and Oukla and Thunder just stand on either side of the stage and they don't say a word.
Speaker 2: They just stare up in But I'd like to point out that Thunder of the barbarian in the TV show, in the cartoon, is this buff dude. He's like a version of ConA. This is not a buffer. They've got some like reedy looking guy in a bad blonde wig playing Thunder and he's just staring like a creeper off off on one side while the while the Sorceress character is the only one emoting. And this this Eastern Island head that is Ukula the Mock, just standing sentinel on her right. Oh my god, Kula the Mock. All right, you know what I just say, By the way, what a fucking insane idea for television show for children that a comet passes too close to the Earth, rips the Moon out of orbit, which crashes into the Earth, destroys our atmosphere, throwing us into some post apocalyptic but not nuclear post apocalyptic world where magic returns and now it's a cone in the barbarian like dystopian future. And this is our lead, Thunder, the barbarian with his ripped off lightsaber blade and his Chewbacca best friend.
Speaker 3: That was the story of Thunder, that it was this post apocalyptic situation where.
Speaker 2: The am I the only one who watched this show. That's the opening scene.
Speaker 3: I watched it, but I have no memory of it. I remember the characters. I remember Ukla and what he looked like in stuff the mock. You think was Ukla like a bear cub that was evolved in some way due to this cataclysmic event? Did he transform into the mock from some like from like an owl or something?
Speaker 2: He might have. He's got many different shades of potentiality from where he evolved. I think, I think. I think it's lou Reed.
Speaker 3: My name is mock thinks a lot.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: It looks here. Oh so it says here on the Wikipedia page that u Oukla is a member of the mock species, a leonine humanoid with fangs.
Speaker 2: And yellow eyes, which makes him a lion of some sort.
Speaker 3: Apparently there's a whole there's there's a whole rundown of mocks and then what they what they do.
Speaker 2: Mocks are also a part of the family tree to be found in The Monster Club.
Speaker 3: The Month of the Month, The Vincent Price Movie or.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, there's a family tree sequence where Dave Vincent Price is talking to John Carrodine and showing them and there's like a Shaddy and a Maddie and a mock and a shad mock.
Speaker 3: Huh no kidding, Yeah, wow, I didn't know that, So UCLA.
Speaker 2: The Mock has some historical precedent in a movie from a couple of years earlier that looks like it was made in nineteen seventy, The Monster. We're all over the place here on the round up this week, HB.
Speaker 3: We're all over the place. But this kind of begs that that kind of context shifting because there's a lot going on. There's so you have all these characters who kind of like swing in. There's a subplot where Spider Man can't get into the event for some reason, so he has to swing around and find his invitation. He finally gets in there with Fire Star and an iceman and.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the robot Foubie fob the robot from Silver Spoons, So.
Speaker 3: That was from Silver because Ricky Schroeder said something like, oh from a co star from Silver Spoons. But I don't remember seeing that fucking robot. I remember. I mean, everybody remembers the robot from Rocky four. That to me is the gold standard for eighties robot.
Speaker 2: Well that because that looked like an actual robot, like you figured that might you know, there was probably somebody operating it, but it might be real. This one, there's definitely some dickhead off on the with one of those remote control make it move forward, make it move back, and then some comedian with a microphone making jokes and cracking wise.
Speaker 3: To be honest, the robot this what was the robot called Ubi Fubi Poobi. It was scarier than any robot that I can because it's big. It has these crazy long distended arms and hands. But the disturbing part is that what passes for ahead they've put like a Groucho Marx fake nose and mustache glasses, the.
Speaker 2: Schnaz, the Minkman schnaz.
Speaker 3: To make probably you know, obviously, to soften the appearance a little bit. For me, it had the exact opposite.
Speaker 2: Of exactly the opposite. It made it a terror.
Speaker 3: It made it scary because there was just something very big and imposing about this. And it comes out and it tries to shake hands with Ricky Schroeder, but it can't. You can tell, well they don't. They can't see what's going on. So the hand goes one place and Ricky has to hit it, disturbing.
Speaker 2: It seems like it means everyone harm, and as soon as the cameras are off, that rampage is about to begin, pretty much, and.
Speaker 3: The schnaz is a thinly veiled attempt to make you think that it means you no harm. But in reality, this thing is gonna like you're dead. This is Ai gone a muck ah.
Speaker 2: This will distract him long enough for me to get my giant hands on him, and then it curtains for you kids. Yeah, keep clapping, you child in a tuxedo, you're next.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's we're all over the place. But to be fair, the show is all over the place.
Speaker 2: What do you want me to take this thing straight? Come on now, all I can say is I need to see. Evidently this is one of those that's out there but never surfaces there is a Dwight Schultz SNL audition tape out there, and it is apparently renowned.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that he tried out for a SNL. That's interesting.
Speaker 2: You can you can see why now when you watch this right, he's effectively doing Robin Williams.
Speaker 3: He's very quick. I will say that, no kidding, all kidding aside, he has to come out several times to do a little bit of shtick. It always has to feel, like you said of Robin Williams, kind of riffing and doing his thing. He's very quick, he's very funny. He's probably the best, the most grounded comedic aspect of this whole enterprise. And I can only imagine what's going through his head as he's having to deal with it. By the way, something I want to ask you a mystery in my head about this whole thing. So he's there, he's all over this thing. Yet when they give mister T his award, because as they say, the Mister T cartoon debuted that very week, right, which I by the way, I love the Mister T Cartoon. I don't know why. I just I watched it a lot, but I need work. Tracy Morgan did that it was I need work. So he's presented the award, but mister T is receiving his award via satellite. He's not actually there to accept the award, and we're led to believe it's because he's filming the A Team. Yet Dwight Schultz is there, He's on the same show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Dwayn Schultz was probably incarcerated at that time, Murdoch. They hadn't broken him out of the sanitarium yet in the episode, so he was able to come off to the other part of the lot, let's face it. Yeah, probably to film this. And you know, most likely mister T was being held captive by George Pepard, drunk and belligerent.
Speaker 3: He drank that milk with that was a that was dosed so he could fly on a plane.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: By the way, have you ever seen like interviews at like conventions that Dwight Schultz does about the time working And he is an amazing interview and he has incredible stories to tell about George Peppard in particular. I found them really engaging.
Speaker 2: Here's what I'll say, even though the reference is wildly inappropriate for six year olds in nineteen eighty three, his impression of.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's Sullivan.
Speaker 2: His Ed Sullivan impression is the best ice career heard I've ever heard. It's so nuanced.
Speaker 3: Well, it's weird because he just slips into it. He doesn't like he's in the context of what he's saying. He just kind of it's almost like there's this transformation in mid sense of what he's just describing, and he becomes Ed Sullivan all you know, while you're while right in front of your eyes. It's bizarre. It's great.
Speaker 2: HPU and I do a show over on the Patreon channel called Cable Box Theater where we look at filmed theatrical productions for early cable television in the seventies and eighties. One of my favorites of that time was the production of Sherlock Holmes, where Sherlock is played by Franklin Jella and one of the cronies Dwight Schultz, playing an Englishman very very effectively in that he's Moriarty's he's Moriarty's major domo in that.
Speaker 3: Oh I got to see that who plays Watson?
Speaker 2: I frigat no one of any important, no one of import I guess I can't remember everybody. I can barely remember Dwight Schulton Franklin Jell, we've been I loved.
Speaker 3: Dwight Schultz when he was on Star Trek the Next Generation, Remember he would played the Reginald Barclay he was. To me, that was a revelation because I had only ever known him from the A teaming this crazy Howlin mad Murdoch to That's such a restrained performance that he gives in Next Generation, it's you can almost not even believe it's the same actor. He's so good.
Speaker 2: Can I also say about that character, that's a really important character in the Star Trek universe. It was the first time we really got somebody who's completely unsure of themselves in a bit of a coward in a way, and like and somebody who's not on the bridge basically, I don't know. I just found it fascinating that we I know who Lieutenant Barclay is, and so to you because he was never really a major part of the show, but he's in my mind integral to that show.
Speaker 3: He is And didn't although I didn't watch the show, wasn't he also on Voyager later playing the same character.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure he I believe he's Yeah, I believe he was in one of the sort of wrap up episodes at the end. I don't think he was like on the Voyager while you're out in space, but yeah.
Speaker 3: Not I mean character but obviously thought enough of him and the character to kind of bring him along, even for like a quick little cameo. I thought that was kind of a testament to how good he was in the part.
Speaker 2: Well, Barclay shows up in First Contact, right, he's he approaches what's his name? Yeah, well yeah, but he can't engage. He's just sort of like, I'm too much of a fan boy.
Speaker 3: Obviously, Wrath of Kahn is the Star Trek movie, but next to that, I have to say, like First Contact, it may be it may be tied for my favorite Star Trek movie. That movie is so good, directed by Jonathan Frakes. I love that movie.
Speaker 2: I will now watch that over Wrath of Kahn. Actually, the way that.
Speaker 3: They're able to separate them into their own little stories, but you never feel like it's overcrowded or overstuffed with story.
Speaker 2: It all.
Speaker 3: It's like a caper movie almost where they have to go back in time. Time travel figures into it, which I love. Such a good I have to watch that. Now, I have to watch that.
Speaker 2: Now. Here's the only flaw with the movie. It ends up being the Board Queen needs a boyfriend. The Board Queen does not need a fucking boyfriend. Okay, that's bullshit, but it gave us the Board Queen. That alone cements of that movie in the Star Trek Pantheon.
Speaker 3: Well, it's kind of ananda is that Alfre Woodard is in a Star Trek movie. It's something that I she always seemed like much more of, like a prestige actress.
Speaker 2: You broke your little ships. I love that fucking movie. I saw that movie half a dozen times in the theater, and then one day in front of my theater. What's his name, super Irish name, Neil McDonough, Lieutenant Hawk.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yah Hawk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Lieutenant Hawk was outside my theater and I wanted to talk to him, but he was there with his girlfriend, who was there at a veterinarian with an emergency with a pet, And I thought this was probably an inopportune time to tell him how much I liked him at Start Track and Ravenous.
Speaker 3: Oh he was in Ravenus too. Forgot about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the he's the psycho soldier character in that one, and he's you know, he's he's one of the Helen Commandos, obviously he's.
Speaker 3: That's true with the mutton chops, right, and and the bowler hat and the shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I deserved his own fucking serious. The Helen Commandos deserved their own serious.
Speaker 3: They should have. I mean, they've been kind of dancing around that they were gonna do that that for a while. It's not allan commando's but they're gonna do Sergeant Rock. Remember that with Schwarzenegger and that fell through.
Speaker 2: They almost did it again with Daniel Craig like ten minutes ago.
Speaker 3: Sergeant Rock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really, Sergeant Rock is on the list of DC movies right now. Huh. Anyway back to uh speaking of Marvel, Yes, speaking.
Speaker 3: Of Marvel Marvel, not Marble Marvel. Yeah, this was. I'm always charmed by anything that takes that any of this sort of Marvel promotional stuff or just culture that is from before the MCU, because it's really easy for people to forget that before Iron Man Marvel, there was nothing prestigious about a Marvel movie about Marvel. TV shows about these Marvel characters, which.
Speaker 2: Is why you have.
Speaker 3: The costume for the Hulk is a goddamn shame in this. He looks like a child's drawing of the Hulk. He's all out of proportion. He's got these big shoulders but little stubby arms, and the expression is just a mask, so it's unchanging and he kind of like hobbles around the best that he can. He probably can't see out of the costume. It's so low rent, but that's what Marvel was back then. It was not considered a big prestigious thing. Look at the Roger Korman Fantastic four. Look at the Captain America movies, which I think you've covered in the past on the Culture Cast maybe or elsewhere from alone have you?
Speaker 2: Are you talking about the nineteen ninety Captain America with Salinger, the one that was.
Speaker 3: They were going to release in the theater, not the not the TV show with like reb Brown.
Speaker 2: Was that his name?
Speaker 3: The football player? Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, there were two TV movies in the seventies, and then in nineteen ninety there was a movie with Darren McGavin and the grandson of JD. Salinger.
Speaker 3: That's the one, and Ned Batty was in it too.
Speaker 2: Ned Batty and as as the Red Skull. For some reason, Red Skull is Italian in it, like he's like a Mussolini character instead of a Hitler character. Inexplicable. Oh no, it's not inexplicable. It's because they've got a tax break to shoot in the Mediterranean, so they're like, well, we'll just make a Mussolini. I said, who is that actor I wanted to pump up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, with the Father.
Speaker 2: Yes, what is his name? Scott something, Chesterton, Scott Simonson, Scott.
Speaker 3: Are you being serious?
Speaker 2: No, I don't know what his name is. Scott palland Scott Pollen, who I remember, as you do in Pump Up the Volume as a Christian Slater's stent. But I also remember him in a really good segment of a horror anthology western called Grim Prairie Tales called One Bullet. That was the name of his segment. It was really good. Oh okay, I.
Speaker 3: Remember that movie. I don't can't recall much about it, but yeah, pump up the Volume there is I'm looking him up here.
Speaker 2: I skipped school to go see to see Grim Prairie Tales in Boston.
Speaker 3: It played in the theater. Huh yeah, Oh, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: It played at the one over by bu.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why I saw it do the right thing you saw.
Speaker 2: I saw that there as well. But I also saw that in Sagas.
Speaker 3: Really it played wider than that.
Speaker 2: General cinema twin in Saga Got It.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the one year Bu I saw that summer, I feel like I saw a lot of Cape Fear played there, a bunch of Wow.
Speaker 2: I was already in Los Angeles with Cape Verkuma. Is that right? M I saw Cape Fair in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: He's going way back, folks, nineteen ninety one. That's crazy. So yeah, I guess getting back to my original point, it's amusing to see how it's almost quaint, how low rent and really cheesy, all this Marvel stuff was knowing that in what, yeah, wait, what.
Speaker 2: In like another twenty five or so years they would get it.
Speaker 3: I was about to say, yeah, but probably the next best, probably the Spider Man movies was probably the next innovation in Marvel entertainment right from that, Yeah, I mean, what was there anything else in the eighties or nineties that.
Speaker 2: Well, Howard the Dock obviously was the was the giant stepped forward for Marvel entertainment. I'm kidding. Blade is when we finally got a decent Marvel adaptation. But that doesn't act. I mean, look, it counts obviously he's a superhero, but it doesn't count in the in the realm of tights and flights.
Speaker 3: Right in my mind, it's like Spider Man was the thing that jump started it, even though it wasn't really the MCU at that point, it was still like, Wow, this is Spider Man done right with a budget, with a great story and a fantastic director. But this was very much in the infancy of that which which is fun to watch that part of it.
Speaker 2: Oh the that Hulk though, and that's like the big fucking finale, Like, let's give a thing to this Misshape. And it looked flocked to it looked uncomfortable to touch, flocked like rough to the touch. Yeah, like you know, you said flocking. They'll do on like models, you know, like, but we're putting on a putting on some grass here.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, I know what you mean, like a bristol.
Speaker 2: It's a crafting kind of like technique. It's just ah, like it gives me the creeps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is the big He crashes out of the back of the stage, and that's that. You're right, that's it. That the award shows over at that point.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, they've given out all the awards. There were so many surprises, such a beautiful night for Hollywood. I cannot believe how many people were left out of the end Memoriam. Did nobody think to mention jabber Jaw that his family would be watching?
Speaker 3: Now? I'm searching through my mind because they covered an awful lot of old timey entertainers, which they were quite old at that point. But who who would have been I don't know, Sherry Lewis and Lamb Chop.
Speaker 2: Milton Burrele and Secret Squirrel together, Yeah, because they could have presented it like I'm guessing.
Speaker 3: No, it wouldn't have been.
Speaker 2: Soupy Sales and the Transformers.
Speaker 3: No, it would have to be like somebody like who was the kid they This kid I thought was like a young Adrian's med His name was Glenn Scarpelli.
Speaker 2: Who got that kid? He was in everything in the eighties?
Speaker 3: Man, he was they kept touting, I guess. And Jillian had a new show called Jennifer Slept Here.
Speaker 2: Remember about a dead actress who appears to this kid who has moved into her house as a ghost.
Speaker 3: Was that the movie? Was that? Or was that the show? You are you being serious about that?
Speaker 2: Yes, that is the premise of that television show.
Speaker 3: Well that's the same premise of meat Balls three.
Speaker 2: Of course, of course with Angela.
Speaker 3: Of course, No, that was Sally Kellerman was like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, same idea though, yes, suicided actress returns as ghost to befriend child.
Speaker 3: God, you're right. He anyway. Glenn Scarpelli was also I think he started on One Day at a Time. I think that was what he was originally on.
Speaker 2: Was he the lead in that movie Playing for Keeps? Do you remember Playing for Keeps?
Speaker 3: I do remember.
Speaker 2: It was in a glut of not necessarily hip hop, but like in that flavor like Beat Street and Breaking and like that that wave of youth movies we had. Playing for Keeps.
Speaker 3: Were they like a mover, like they had a moving company and they had to.
Speaker 2: Know they had a resort house in the in the wilderness that they were going to turn into some big money making thing out there. They were going to be playing for Keeps out there.
Speaker 3: Now I can tell you. Oh no, he was one One Day at a time. He was on amazing Stories before that he was not in Playing for Keeps. But I know the I know the movie you're talking about.
Speaker 2: What episode of Amazing Stories was he on it? Oh?
Speaker 3: All right, let me see one episode.
Speaker 2: Let's why do I It's name HP.
Speaker 3: I know I'm trying to get there one if I click on Oh here it is mirror, Mirror.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, the Scorsese episode.
Speaker 3: Yes, he plays somebody named Jeffrey Gelb.
Speaker 2: Jeffrey gel played by a Scarpelly. A little bit more casting of Italians in every role by Martin Scorsese. When when he has a problem if a non Italian plays an Italian role. Nevertheless, the irishman played by an Italian. Okay, thanks Martin.
Speaker 3: Wow, I didn't know Martin Scorsese did an Amazing Stories.
Speaker 2: It's a horror one. It's pretty good. Wow.
Speaker 3: Is Sam Waterston in this?
Speaker 2: Yes? And he's a dick.
Speaker 3: Sam Waterston's where where is he gone? Is he retired from acting?
Speaker 2: Hasn't he prosecuted enough people?
Speaker 3: He's done his service to the people of New York and he's got nothing left to prove.
Speaker 2: And remember, robots are strong. Remember that ad for robots say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was robot insurance for.
Speaker 2: Old Yes, robots, they live on old people's prescription pills and you can't stop them because robots are strong.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I think we've what do we have left to cover here?
Speaker 2: For that? That's it. I think we're done here, buddy.
Speaker 3: Oh what a trip we've had though.
Speaker 2: That's the yummy awards everyone. Thank you once again for joining us on The Father Malone's weekly round Up. I'm glad to be back. I was glad HB was how happy to I was here to join me in this episode. I guess rip, you didn't get to pick this week's really, but that's okay. HP wrote your theme song, so you know you should just be thankful HP until next time. Well you won't be back here on the round up, but until the next few sco fast, where can people find you if they're looking to hear more of your mellifluous tones.
Speaker 3: Well, well, before I say that, thank you very much for having me follom alone. I always love doing these shows with you. This one is I think a little more fun than than some of the others. It's just I don't know, just love talking. This is such a I said to you. Harry Sheer described The Day of the Clown cried the famously awful Jerry Lewis movie as a perfect object in its wrong headedness and it's in its weirdness and bizarre qualities. I really believe this is also a perfect object in a sense the Yummy Awards. So I was very happy to be able to do this with you, Father Malone. Thank you so much for the opportunity. As for where you can find me, you can find me. I co host the Night Mister Walters Taxi podcast with my esteemed co host across from me, father Alone.
Speaker 2: Here that's me.
Speaker 3: I host the Noise Junkies music podcast. I also am an occasional guest on The Culture Cast with Christashu and I also have a band camp site hpmusicplace dot bandcamp dot com.
Speaker 2: As for me, you're hearing the show, join us on Friday, we're gonna get back into Well it's gonna be Tails from the Dark Side. I think that's coming Friday, Is that right? I don't know. I hope so yes, It'll be testing the dark Side this Friday for Ripley Gene for HP. I'm Father Malone. Thanks for joining us. I'm gonna leave you with a little bit from Well, what have we been listening to? What have we been talking about? It's gonna be a little bit of yummy. It's gonna be so yummy.
Speaker 3: Everyone's a win. One of the great starts of Y eighteen, Howling Mad Murdock himself, mister Dwight Schelz, the NBC.
Speaker 1: ASPCA, which stands for the Academy of Super Programs that are Cartoons or Animated.
Speaker 2: He's very democratic.
Speaker 1: Everybody votes for himself, Chipman, super Chipmunk, Smirts vote for smirts, nobody votes for the bad guys, and everybody votes for mister t that's because of a chick except me. I know he's big, I know he's strong, but I can run fast for tea so long? And what is how the NBC yummies are awarded? Now that I've cleared up that mystery, I am history.
Speaker 4: Shot show from show from sho show su