Speaker 1: Stuck at home.
Speaker 2: And alone.
Speaker 1: You'd think I could have some fun on my own, but not all I called AF with Cecily and Stephanie. What's up, everybody. Welcome to a little show that we like to call board AF. We still call it that, even though it's been a long time and nobody and even though you're.
Speaker 3: Now and don't freak out. I hope you're not freaking out. But you're now seeing it. You found you. Congratulations, you found it. If you're listening to us on the Rose Pricks speed, you see everything else is the same. Our song is the same, the thing is the same. But you did hard things change is hard.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: I get overwhelmed, like I have to plug this into what no not doing it? But you did it. Hopefully you did it. Some of you didn't do it. But we're going to get you. We're going to get you back.
Speaker 1: I have a thing that that I talk about a lot on them for crying out loud, but I just I can't do any anything that requires like watching a YouTube video to tell me how to do it. It's just so I just my god. No, I used to like years and years ago, when I had a baby, when my kids were babies. If you buy a carrier, like sometimes you'd buy like a wrap for your baby or some kind of like a thing that you strapped to your chest and you put the baby on there. And so many of them were like just this thing of material with rings in it, and it would come with a thing that would say here's the video. Some of them would come with like a DVD, and I'd be like, no, no.
Speaker 3: Same when you're goodly, you just wanted to say, give me some You know what's great about that is AI because when you put it in now to give you the step, but it like puts it all together, and it's like, here's what you do, and you don't have to watch a video because those videos are so okay, here's what you'll get right. I was trying to figure out how to do like my eye make. I wanted a smoky eye, and I wanted it written out. I didn't even want it shown. I just just tell me the thing. I don't want to see somebody do it. So and then it starts with like super smacky. So my misaphoni is always already annoyed, like I'm already triggered, so it'll be like someone's already gulfing water, Like you can't get through one sentence without like gulfing water. So like, welcome back to my channel to date, and I'm like, I'm already out. I just want to know how to do a smoky eye. I don't want to hear welcome back to my channel. I don't want to hear subscribe. I don't just just tell me how to do it exactly, like really fast, because I have shit to do. Yes, maybe that's the ADHD and us. Oh, it's got to be now that we're both well, you're newly diagnosed. I have known that about myself, but yeah, for sure, I'm yeah, I'm out so soon.
Speaker 1: That's like us with my movies.
Speaker 3: It's so true. Well, I'm just like, well that you know, that's also what we're into. I'm interested in what this YouTube video. But they're like they take so long. There's like a weird intro.
Speaker 1: They try to be cute about it, right, they're like and then they pat their face so hard.
Speaker 2: I've talked about that.
Speaker 3: They're like first primer, it was like a foundation one and they're like, put your.
Speaker 2: Primary you pat it.
Speaker 1: I'm like, stop it. Tell me which color of Charlotte Tillsbury to get by the way, I did take your advice member. I was like trying to find my foundation had been discontinued, yes, by Charlotte, and you were like, just get it on eBay, and I was so scared because I have I can never make decisions.
Speaker 3: And then I just bought it on eBay and it was perfect. It was one hundred percent of it's been discontinued. But they're like, yeah, I bought a bunch of it for my beauty store. It's it's kind of old, it's expired, but it still works. So just shake it really hard, you'll be fine.
Speaker 1: And it has been fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it turned so much less expensive. It was fifty bucks. It was less than it would have been at Charlotte.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So because they and then the thing is it turns out like you get the thing you want. And then I'm like, it's not even as great as I thought it like it was because I couldn't have it right, so it disappeared that I thought it.
Speaker 1: Was the best, but it's it's pretty peachy. That's pretty fun, Rumpy, I'm still gonna wear it. I found and I found a dupe in the meantime, I was like, everybody, just calmed down, take a break, take a let's just take a break. You are very obsessed with foundation makeup. I know because I can't. But just foundation, I'm not even like that good. I never even really wore a foundation until a couple of years ago. I didn't need it, and now I'm having these like spots in the under eye circles are really bad. So it's I also need concealer, which I haven't been able to find. But do you think it's an OCD thing with you? Yes, it has to be the right because you I watched you in a store try on a lot of foundations that all look fine, and you were like, Nope, not it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, it's a it's an oc you're taking.
Speaker 1: Back and you're like so sure that they don't work when they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 3: I'm just scared of looking too orange or too yellow or too white, like I had this one I got from It Cosmetics and they had me get Now. You know, when you think of me, you think pale, but I'm actually darker than I seem. I think I read as a pale, gothy person, but I my skin is actually kind of olive toned. Believe it or not, it just is so people. I was always okay, we're gonna get you porcelain fair, and I'm like telling you that's too light.
Speaker 1: So I had that.
Speaker 3: I put it on my face and it kind of looked green. Then I go to Reddit and I ask Reddit what they said. They say the same thing. You know, you just get your backing like, yeah, it is green. Yes, so I changed it. But I don't know. It is a concept. It must be an OCD. But I don't know why because it's not a picture of yourself on Reddit.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I just described it, okay, and then somebody else was like, yeah, I look green too. Oh they were saying about themselves, they've used that particular color and make certain people look, you know, not good.
Speaker 1: Right. In conclusion, I don't know. Maybe Randy knows.
Speaker 2: She's our she's our our therapist, they're a psychologist.
Speaker 1: What is that an OCD? Because I don't think of.
Speaker 3: Myself as a perfectionist. I'm very messy and scattered. It probably is the ADHD. It's like some kind of weird fucking I don't know. Well, everything on ADHD.
Speaker 1: We can't be just dub my toe. I just dubb my toe. I think it's the adhd D. That's OCD. That's so ADHD that I stubbed my toe. I'll just stub my toe.
Speaker 3: I have to stub my toe seventeen times, So that's the OCD.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say. I just curse somebody out in traffic. I'm so ADHD. Right, you just said the most racist thing. But it's your it's your anxiety. My god, it's yours. You're just you can't help. You just have impulse. It's an impulse thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, people would argue that, but that is still No, we're not those people.
Speaker 1: I was joking. Okay, I want to ask you something. This is I have a little surprise for you. I know I love other topics, but I want to ask you something. It's probably not something that you and I should even be weighing in on. Oh we're going to. We're going to weigh in on it because it keeps coming up. Listen, it's in my algorithm. So now it's going to have to be part of your algorithm. Okay, and maybe it'll it can be a story for you, ohne story.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah, Okay, I it's going to be bad takes from Cecily. I'm so scared as a theater person especially and to my fellow theater people.
Speaker 2: First of all, let's talk about tell tell the people what.
Speaker 1: Kay. So Patty Lapone is come under some fire, some some fire yah, because well, and I had to. I woke up this morning m hm at a little peek behind the curtain what goes on in Stephanie's house. So I wake up in the morning. I can't sleep because I'm old and my body just wakes me up very early. My husband is fine sleeping though, so then I have to be quiet, like I can't like, so I lay in bed and I like look at my phone and I can't play videos loud. So everything that I that comes across my feed I have to read the written word. I mean, I can't just listen to a story of some you know, musical theater person shouting about Patty Lapone. I have to go and like read stories about it. But I was really, I'm like, I'm hearing this a lot. People are very up in arms about Pastial. Maybe a backstory on her too. She's a curmudgeon. She is notoriously difficult for those who don't know she's a theater legend. She's incredible.
Speaker 3: She's an incredible mezzo soprano who is just kind of a known the action and she loves it, like that's just who she is. She's like a Larry David, but with even a little bit more edge. Oh really, yes, Like she's angry at the time. She's a little bit mean. She does not suffer fools. She's but she's also incredibly respected. People don't want to cross her. Like it's she's just a major force in the broadway world. She's also incredibly talented. So none of this as far as her personality is really it's not a surprise. So then okay, so tell us what happened.
Speaker 1: So there's another star named Audra McDonald, right, she's from Hamilton.
Speaker 3: I believe, Oh wasn't she in Hamilton? I could be wrong about that. Let me look that up because I think I've made that mistake before. Okay, so she's a black woman. She was also I believe, I want to say the soprano. I shouldn't say this, Yeah I don't. I don't know from their vocal ranges. She's amazing and just just I mean, just to have so you have the whole picture. She's more like, yeah, I think, I swear to god, she's and she's a big force to be wrecking with you. She's she's incredibly talented, but she's a very high like operatic voice.
Speaker 1: But you need to know that she's a black woman. Yeah, it's kind of important to the story, does she not? She might not have been in Hamilton? Oh my god. Okay, let's see Audrey McDonald. I'll tell you what she was in. She is primarily known. She's won six Tonys. She was she performed in musicals. She won Tony Awards for Carousel, Masterclass, rag Time, A Raisin in the Sun, for the and Bess.
Speaker 2: I don't think she's it's not Hamilton. I have hership she was five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's amazing though, and she's very esteemed. So okay, yeah, so you know what, I should probably pull up this so we can say our opinion about it. So hold on, Pattie on page six still, oh okay.
Speaker 1: Well, it's because you want to get to the the what actually happened, because I read the story of what happened. So Patty Lapone basically apologized.
Speaker 3: She had a huge apology that it's not good enough for most people on threads, they're like, nah, her pr people like shut up, what can she do? But what happened was and I couldn't get the whole story. I had to dig a little bit for what she did. She had gone on some kind of she didn't interview, Yeah, get an interview and said that she and O is Odra Yeah, Audra mcd they had had some running feud that Odre was like, I don't know what she's talking about.
Speaker 1: So that was a little bit rude, and who knows what was impacting He called her a bit I think, because yeah, let's just see exactly what she said, because it wasn't great.
Speaker 2: Okay, hold on, let me let me just locate the story.
Speaker 1: This.
Speaker 3: This is a good time while you're locating story to tell you that I have a friend in New York that loves Patty Lapone so much. He's a musical theater guy in New York. He's amazing, and he wrote a one man show called I Think Patty Issues. Instead of like Daddy Issues, it's Patty Issues. And he did a whole thing about her, and she ended up seeing the show and loved it.
Speaker 1: Like they became friends through it. But it's pretty I think that's pretty funny. Patty issues. Oh that's so interesting.
Speaker 3: I mean, people like she's like, oh yeah, she's like she's okay, yeah. No, this is a big story because five hundred artists. So here, I'm going to read it to you from page six. Okay, first off, when we get into it, five hundred Broadway artists formed a united Front against Patty Lapone after the actress hurled insults towards theater peers Audra McDonald and Keisha Lewis earlier this week. Okay, so they wrote her an open letter and reprimanded her for being a bully, and they signed it. Five hundred people signed this. That is that's a lot. Yeah, and it directly it directly addressed her calling Louis a bitch, an insulting McDonald as quote, not a friend, saying that they were in a feud. Yeah. I really want the exact quote from her. So she made says she made a deeply inappropriate comment, unacceptable public comments about to a Broadway's best whatever.
Speaker 1: So she one of the things, and this is just from my memory of laying in bed this morning reading it, was that she complained that Kisha Misha Lewis's show, Hell's Kitchen was really loud, and she because they were they were wearing according.
Speaker 3: They were sharing a wall, and then that I don't know who called that a microaggression. I don't know if it was Keisha herself that called it that or just the internet. That does make a difference to me because that kind of I got to push back a little on that. I do not think that pat I do not like it. I do not like it when like Patty maybe a bully in a jerk, seems like she kind of is. But does that make her racist? I don't, I don't, I don't know, I don't. I had a hard time with that.
Speaker 1: You can say that the production is being too loud while you're record, while you're doing your thing without it being racist, right.
Speaker 3: To me, That's how I honestly feel. This is where people will probably push back against me, but that's how I feel. Is that a microaggression to say they're being loud the whole everybody was being She wasn't like just pointing to people.
Speaker 2: But I don't know so.
Speaker 1: Black people felt. I don't know who exactly. I can't speak for all black people, but the king you do usually that they felt that she was calling black people loud in their show was disrespectful in a microaggression. But I'm going to agree with you that, like she was complaining that it was the show was loud, but and they were trying to rehearse next door and it was loud. Yeah, But is that also this fault of the show. I don't know, for being loud. If it's a loud show, I'd like very like they were just like black people being loud, you know what I mean. It's a weird thing to accuse, you know, like you're being too loud. It's like, well that's Eva's self, which is no fine, nobody likes that.
Speaker 3: So I get that they were just maybe the other Broadway artists are like, you can't treat people. These are our fellow we love each other. We're not like the Oscar you know, we're the community. Yeah, but they are. They're like, you know, a family, and maybe they're just tired of it.
Speaker 1: That's what it sounds like to me, because I yeah, because I I can see, I can see both sides. It's like it is it is a weird thing to say to all black casts, like you're being.
Speaker 3: Are they all black. The whole cast is well, then I have to cough. Hol Okay, keep going. I'm just gonna turn my mic off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I'm not sure if it's an a. See now here's where I'm just talking out of my ass because I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if it is, then that's a little different. And I can see.
Speaker 1: How she made she made also just basically said she could she called Oudra a bitch or I think when she was like saying that, no, she called she called Keisha a bitch. But she also basically said that she's a much like that the Odra. She kind of just put down her career. Yeah, I'm way more famous, Like you know, I'm the I'm the one who's done all these shows.
Speaker 3: People just are tired of her, I guess yeah, and she's been bullying for a long time. But it's sort of like you know, they Yeah, they gathered. Now did people gather together when mel Gibson did what he did? Twenty times?
Speaker 1: Were there? That's five hundred letter?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is the thing.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 3: You know, you probably got your Seinfelds and a couple of people that signed a letter, and it was tough to get that letter, you know, to get other people like a Clooney to sign it, or a Brad or somebody who wasn't you know, So it's just funny, Yeah, how we don't do the thing that they do in the Tony community, in the Broadway community. So good for them, really, And it made her look at herself and whether it was meant to be a racial like you know that part. I don't just don't think so. But like, either way, she was not being very nice.
Speaker 1: Here's some This is from Deadline. It says recently this was in the letter Patty Lapone made deeply inappropriate and unacceptable public comments about two of Broadway's most respected and beloved artists, Keisha Lewis and Audrey MacDonald. The letter states, in a published interview with The New Yorker, she referred to Kaisha Lewis, a black woman and a forty year veteran of the American stage, as a bitch. This language is not only degrading and misogynistic, it's a blatant act of racialized disrespect. It constitutes bullying, it constitutes harassment. It's emblematic of the microaggressions and abuse that people in this industry have endured for far too long. I thought it about consop but hold on, let me Leah.
Speaker 3: Michelle was called a bitch by many people as well, and because she is, she wasn't very kind to people, allegedly, and she was very difficult to work with. So I don't understand that part. You can say it's still unacceptable to call your fellow Broadway stars a bitch. Yeah, that's not acceptable adult language. I agree, But like what, I don't see where it's a I just don't see the someone a bitch is a racial thing.
Speaker 2: At all. Like I just I really don't see it.
Speaker 1: Pat Lapone's comments to The New Yorker stemmed from an incident last fall when she and Mia Farrow were starring in The Roommates oh Ye, Broadway's theater. The booth abuts the Schubert Theater where the Alicia Keys musical Hell's Kitchen plays. Lapone complained to the Schubert organization about the loud Hell's Kitchen music that could be heard through a shared wall during her play. Louis, a Tony winning star of Hell's Kitchen, took to Instagram to characterize Lapone's complaints as bullying and racially micro.
Speaker 3: See that's to me, that's crazy. To me, that is crazy. I'm crazy is not the right word, bless you. That is that is outrageous to me. I understand it's annoying that Patty was saying that it's too loud, but to bring that that just no, Yeah, I feel like they have other information on her that I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe, but.
Speaker 1: See this is this is going to make me cancel me. But what like, let's say I'm watching a movie. Let's say I'm in a movie theater and I'm watching like something that's really dear to me, which is a slice of life, quiet movie, m non action film, just a little slice, just an indie just you know. Uh, for instance, my old ass I told you to watch, Yes, I told you I loved it. I didn't tell me I did.
Speaker 2: I know? You didn't tell me.
Speaker 1: You suggested it as a movie to watch with my kids Mother's Day. We watched it, and I loved it and I cried same. I'm sold really good. Okay, So let's say, let's just say that I'm watching my old ass and next door in the very next theater, which is all bad.
Speaker 2: Planning, right, Mission impossible.
Speaker 1: Mission impossible is playing in the next and my seats are vibrating and it's.
Speaker 3: Really loud, and that has happened. You do sometimes have to say, like, but there's really nothing. They're not going to turn it down. There's really not much you can do.
Speaker 1: Right, But that's obviously right. Is it bad planning on the part of like the theaters theaters, Yes, for sure. But she shouldn't call someone a bitch either. That's not okay, Like we'll stand up to that. But yeah, that is taking it too far. But is it racial if she complains to the Schubert and says, listen, this show is really loud next door, and I don't know.
Speaker 3: No, I think, well, yeah, I think not. But people are there. They can have their own opinions.
Speaker 1: But she says she's she's taking full responsibility, right, So is it for us to not to say, hey, you're not responsible, don't apologize.
Speaker 2: No, she should apologize, But.
Speaker 1: She sounds like she sounds like for But on the other side are people that are like, it's very entertaining that she's always kind of been this. Yes, Pattie Lapone has been like she's like Paul Giamati always plays like she's curmudgeon.
Speaker 3: She's like but she has the talent to back it up. And I'm sure she's no fun I mean, like, I'm sure she's.
Speaker 1: Been a nightmare for people, like no question, but I just still don't think just that's shit. I think that's really funny though. There's something funny about taking the side of like you're like, yeah, I mean, I'm sure she's just an absolute nightmare, but like she can be that because she know.
Speaker 3: I was writing an article today actually for my upworthy job, you know, and I was writing about mesophonia. And I asked if I could write for my own perspective and they were like, yeah, go for it on this one. Yeah, and then put in stuff that you can explain what it is and all that, and so I said, and the thing I was like, yeah, these are the things that like I was like, it doesn't just bother me, like it enrages me. Things like a gentle golf clap on a television show and like the slight crushing of a water plastic water bottle. And I named all the things, and I said, I always thought it was just I was just like your run of the mill Q curmudgeonly, like curmudgeonly jerk. And then I just wrote jury's still out, like I'm not even commenting on that. But then I talk about how I discovered that it's a real disorder. I feel like I have every disorder I don't. I swear to God, there's nothing I don't have. And I didn't used to be that person that thought they were everything. But I have mesophonia for sure, I have slight face blindness. I've been diagnosed with ADHD. I have anxiety. Obviously, I'm depressed all the time. So I got that one. Hm, what don't I oh, I have since Synastasia. Remember, I try to make you talk about that. I've always had that where I can, I can like taste colors. Don't worry about it. I'm just some sort of genius. But I do have that.
Speaker 1: I really have all these weird so and it all comes down to the brain. So you can taste colors, Yeah, Like I have this weird thing where like certain things are color coded for me in a way that most people don't have that. So like when I think of a day of the week before, like if it's Monday, it's just the whole day to me?
Speaker 3: Is this like salmon pink? Don't know why and it's always been that way. And Fridays are purple. You don't have that, No, And then sometimes like yellow I'm or if I'm eating or if I see the color yellow, it tastes I can taste apple juice. It's like a neural thing where I just all of a sudden can taste the I don't.
Speaker 1: Know how to explain it, but it's a real thing. I wrote about that too, But I feel like my editor's starting to be like, okay, but what else, Like you have all these things, weird stories, and it's just like, oh, you have that one. Okay, well, I guess put a personal thing on that one. That's funny. Starting to look like it's crazy. But I really do have these things. But misiphonia is one of them. And I thought of it just now because the Paul Giamatti curmudgeon thing. Well, it doesn't mean you're not crazy. I'm definitely crazy. My brain is definitely for real neurodivergence for sure. Yeah, I mean it's hard, we're all on a whatever spectrum, but yeah, mine is a little nuts. The fact that the fourth of July like causes me a panic attack for a month is not neurotypical. No, it's not. Oh, yeah, I agree. I'm going to agree with you there.
Speaker 3: Oh you know who else isn't neurotypical? Who was a little gentleman by the name of Well, his stage name was pee Wee Herman.
Speaker 1: Okay, I swear to it. It is Well. I was going to say, this is a great we have a great segue. Yes, and also, but you know, you know what's also a good segue is the Freak and Patty Lapone story. Oh, because what we found out, what if you've watched the Pewee documentary, what you found out is that Pewey Herman a little difficult. Yeah he would, Yeah, and that very difficult. I knew that from Groundling's people back in the day. Okay, let's go back.
Speaker 3: A lot of you guys wanted us to talk about this actually, so hopefully you've watched, but if not, you can still follow this. They made they being this guy, Matt Wolf is that his name. This director made this two part documentary that Peewee or we'll call him Paul. That's his name, Paul Rubens. He really wanted to direct it himself. And they leave all that in, They leave all of him just really being difficult about even what's being put and filmed. But he's also being kind of funny. You and I know that he's being cheeky right like.
Speaker 1: Some but I think that what we're supposed to start to realize is that he's trying. He's actually masking a very controlling personality. I mean funny, but he's kind of doing a and a bunch of times they leave in where he goes I'm just kidding, but actually right am I yeah, I know if I'm kidding, and he was.
Speaker 3: He made me laugh every single time. I mean he is. Let me just say the positives. Yes, absolutely delightfully brilliant, I mean like and I did not realize it when I was young, So I was too old for it to be like a cartoon show, you know, like a kid show. Because this was late eighty I was like already in high school late eighties and nineties, so it didn't hit me like that. And I was too young to see it as like an absurd mister show kind of amazing thing. I miss that, so I to me, I didn't under I never really got the peewee thing. I saw the first movie where he has the bike and he's at the Alamo and everyone loved it, and I was like, wasn't getting it?
Speaker 1: I didn't get it back then. Well, can I tell like a quick little story for me. When I was in high school, I had this friend, my friend who I moved to California with my friend Heidi, and we bonded so hard over this thing that was called The Paragon of Comedy. It was a John Paragon comedy special, and they talk about John Paragon, who was also a groundling in this documentary. They don't talk about him a lot, but if you remember, a lot of people were like, oh my god. So when he met John Paragon, they totally bonded. They became like best friends. He played Johnbie. Oh wow, okay, John Paragon, hold on the Paragon of Comedy. I want to see what year this came out. Okay, so this came out in nineteen eighty three. Okay, so I was in high school because I graduated in eighty four, and my friend Heidi and I, you know those things that become like cult classics. I don't know, if you have to yourself to your friends. We watched it over and over and over and over. We own it. I guess. We bought it on video and it was. It was basically like mister Show. They just it was sketches and we thought it was just the funniest thing. And it was a lot of those characters, Like they did one where the two of them were very heavy. I mean it's really not politically correct, right, but they just love yet they just love bread. So it's just like but they just loved treats. And it's the two of them. They're like roommates and they're just like bread, oh, dessert, and they just keep like and then people they're like red Delivery and they both do that voice and we would cry.
Speaker 2: Like wait, and Paul Rubens isn't that as well?
Speaker 1: It's the two of them. Oh okay, John Peregon's special, but it's John Peregrin, the paragon of comedy. But a bunch of them are are the Paul Rubens. So you loved like had you knew? I mean I didn't. I yes, I was obsessed, and I I loved Pee Wee. I love Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Like I loved the show Pee Wee's Playhouse like it was. So this was especially fascinating to me.
Speaker 3: The idea of the backstory, Yeah, I did, and Weirdly, I sort of knew his darkness. I'd remember hearing people talk, and this is before he was arrested, I guess for things that were just so stupid. I cannot believe, Like, I can't believe he was dragged how he was dragged for shit like that. And I do think it was like a witch an LGBT witch hunt. Oh yeah, and the fact that like, so we'll get into that, but I also want to say, first off, like laugh. I watched that by myself, as I do, and I laughed so hard out loud I'd never seen because I'd never really watched the actual Pee Wee's Saturday Morning Playhouse, the thing where they show They're like, we just thought it'd be kind of funny to like have a dog, like a close up on a dog eating for two minutes. Now, that kind of shit makes time. Stuff really makes me laugh, like I would think. It just makes you feel high and it's so funny. And then the kid when he made the second movie after and he hated it. I made my friend watch it and he's like I can't keep watching him, like you have to. That's what makes it so funny.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was like at three minute, really serious kiss him in that bow tie, like like real gentle and tender. Ye just kissing this woman. And then you hear I was watching my friend.
Speaker 3: I was listening to him watch it, and then you just hear like, so the kiss ends after like three minutes, my friend's getting all bored, and then you just hear like.
Speaker 1: Who's that? Who's that peewee? And he's like, I don't know, she's nobody, and.
Speaker 3: Then he's like, they're like what and then he's like, oh, it's my girlfriend, my fiance. It's so silly and absurd. And he really was like, but what's interestarming little man?
Speaker 1: But what's interesting to me too, which I didn't know, was that some of that wasn't just because he thought it would be so great. It was because he was really trying kind of trying to be an asshole and be rebellious. And he knew that because he'd gotten like the rights to do it and do whatever he wanted cut, yes, he had final cuts. So he was like, I don't care. I don't care that everybody's mad about this and thinks I'm just doing it, But that is so genius. I love that it is, but it's not at the same time, it's just it is difficult. It is like you're just doing that to fuck with people.
Speaker 2: Then I think that's I mean, it is.
Speaker 3: At one point early on in the documentary, he says something about, you know, he was trying to find these really cool artists on Melrose.
Speaker 1: He kept talking about Melrose. I guess Melrose used.
Speaker 3: To be different, and he's like, I really wanted like a punk Our show was really punk, and at first I was like, it is not punk. And then as I watched it and learned all the people that they assembled, it was kind of punk. It was sort of like fuck you. Yeah, I didn't get I didn't get it because I was too too young. I was too young. I just didn't understand. And then even when like so, then it was sort of made cool.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we need to go through the whole documentary, but yeah, you find out a lot about like, you know, how he was closeted. He felt like he couldn't really come out. He didn't feel well. I didn't even know if he felt like he couldn't come out. I think he just wanted it to be private. I don't know. Okay, So here here's like what happened For anybody that didn't watch the documentary, you find out that he comes to like California, he meets this or maybe this was before he came to California, but he's kind of has a girlfriend, but I don't know if they ever even fooling around, right, And then he meets this guy at a party and he's like, oh my god, like, that's that's my guy, Like I want to be with that guy. And whose name is I believe guy? Hmm too, guy, that's my guy. That's guy, my guy. Anyway, and they're like together, they're they're in live.
Speaker 2: He was out.
Speaker 1: He wasn't like no, he was totally out. He was out, and he had a serious relationship.
Speaker 3: And the black guy that's right, Yeah, that guy, he was like kind of an art Yeah, he was coolish.
Speaker 1: He was really cool. Yeah, and they were like in love and they lived together and they had like a dog I think, or you know, I mean, they were full playing house. And the way it seemed to me in the documentary was all of a sudden, he just kind of freaked out and he was like, yeah, oh my god, what am I doing? And he says he kind of says that he lost himself in the relationship. But I think he says that somebody said to him, like are you going to be in a relationship or are you going to be an actor? And all of a sudden he was like, oh my god, Like, am I just going to be like this guy who loses himself who's in a relationship. But for some reason, at that point he decides like, yeah, I'm not gonna be gay anymore. I'm going to not tell anybody that I'm.
Speaker 2: Getting just didn't want to. He wanted his He was very private.
Speaker 3: I mean that I will have to say, like the whole pee wee, it was all a persona. He never even did interviews until the very end as Paul and he had a really like hard time doing it, Like he didn't Paul was off themits peewe is what you got, and that's the premieres when he went to the premiers and he.
Speaker 2: Did talk shows.
Speaker 3: But like all it was such an interesting and complicated dude, And yeah, he was a little difficult and he'd done all these There's something about the Groundlings. There's something about that world that they can get so competitive because like they write a sketch together then one of them gets SNL. It sounds like pee Wee was pretty annoyed that Phil Hartman, who was like his partner yes and did stuff on Pee Wee, got SNL and it seemed like those two, those two egos did not go well together.
Speaker 1: Although in the documentary Paul Rubens was like, yeah, I was like happy for him, you know, that's but you know, then he went off and did SNL and like he was really busy with that. So right, so we were doing our show. But then they interviewed Phil Hartman, and Phil Hartman was like, yeah, he hasn't spoken to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he also said something else and he's like, yeah he was. They were like was he difficult? There was a question where he was like, yeah, he wasn't the easiest like he which which makes me believe that that is true, but it also makes me believe they're both two big egos.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know what happened there.
Speaker 3: I mean, we love Phil Hartmon and we love Phoebe Herman as actors, as comics or we did, but yeah, I think that was interesting. A lot of people interviewed, a lot of people turned on him. This is what was interesting. Too once, so he got For those who don't know, Paul Rubins was at a like an adult pornographic theater. I didn't even know they have those, Like, how do you even know where those are?
Speaker 1: You thought they used to be everywhere.
Speaker 3: There was one on Santa Monica. It was the one that Fred Willard got caught at. Remember Fred Willard got in the same arrest.
Speaker 1: The thing so ridiculous is the whole point of those theaters is so that you can go there and watch a porno amongst other people and jerk off. Yeah, I mean the question you're supposed to just what are you going to just want? You're just you're watching porn just to like for the art of it. Oh, that's what people are doing. But they didn't have I don't think they had it.
Speaker 3: They had it. You could watch porn since the for a very long time out Well, then you're trying to be you know, I'm not saying the question is like I think those places are illegal. So they're probably saying on the because they got raided, they're saying they're regular theater, and then they know what they are, and then the Feds or whoever decided that they shouldn't be doing that. I'm not saying it, but the morality police, Yeah, the morality police came in and then he's the one, and then they made this like huge.
Speaker 1: But it's not like he was on the street. No jerking off. That's that's that's it's a lot different to be in a dark theater jerking off while everybody else is jerking off. So they raid the whole theater and they kick off. They're all consenting adults that know what.
Speaker 3: He tries doing, and he's the guy that they make the poster child for it because he's the famous one. So right, and then did you notice he only got a fifty dollars fine. He plied no contest.
Speaker 2: He got good lawyers, but he had a really.
Speaker 3: Hard time or he takes some friends and like he got through it and they started. I think Leno, Leno is very good. I think it was Leno. Leno's good at having people on who have been canceled. We'll give him that. He did it with Hugh Grant, you know what I mean, Like just he tries to because they know him. So a few people stood up for him and he came back. That's when I think he made his the jet appetetic people rallied around him. They really did, like all his old friends people famously. Now this is the first time. Then later in the documentary you find out, Okay, who was the guy that played the principal on Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Jeffrey something. Uh huh, he was the one that had child porn. He got arrested for it. That's a very big deal. Well, those two had been friends, and Jeffrey had been at Peewee's house and there was maybe an underage person there that then.
Speaker 2: Said pee Wee. Also they basically named pee Wee when they were suing Jeffrey.
Speaker 1: Okay, they said he had child porn, but he didn't.
Speaker 2: He didn't.
Speaker 3: So then the FEDS came in and rated and took like he was a collector. So he was a hoarder of all these weird old vintage magazines and stuff.
Speaker 1: He's very pee wee hermit. Paul Rubens was very like John Waters type.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's what I was thinking too. That's why it felt like a very sort of gay witch hunt. Yeah, because Waters, you know, has all that stuff too. It probably has been arrested as well on some kind of a set charge. Yes, they couldn't find again. He got one hundred dollars. Fine, no jail time, I mean like, but then had to register as.
Speaker 2: A sex offender.
Speaker 1: Ruined his life. They completely ruined it that time.
Speaker 3: It sort of did. That was sort of it. And you know who did rally was his friend. He'd become really good friends with Courtney Cox and David Arquette.
Speaker 1: I know, I thought that David Arquette has.
Speaker 3: Always been known to be like the sweetest little guy. He's sweet, yes, everyone, He's just a very sensitive, sweet man. And I like the Courtney was like, yeah, family, I know, I know, I know, it's a good family.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: I agree. He's just a really gentle soul. And I like that Courtney stood by him as well, and I was like, of course, you can come stay at our house. Yeah, my god, you had a fifties comic book with like a with like a teenager shirtless.
Speaker 1: That's a cartoon. It's not even if some of it was, but it was.
Speaker 3: It was crazy, And yeah, that's the one that kind of did him in. He didn't really well, it didn't okay. Between that, he did start doing like indies and stuff. He was working as Paul.
Speaker 1: He started doing movie, he started trying to come out as Paul. Yeah, and he never really came out of the court. He never really came out of the closet, right, he kind of went back in actually yeah, he just was yeah. And then he apparently had cancer and didn't tell anybody anybody about it. But then also which I just thought was so fascinating. So he makes this documentary, but then he gets in an argue, he gets in a fight with the documentary, with the filmmaker over control. Yeah, where he didn't. He did not want He wanted to be in control. He wanted to be the director, and that would happen a lot. He didn't like questions that were leading. He'd be like, you know, which you have to make in a documentary. You have to be like, well, how did you feel really bad in this money? He's like, you're leading. I don't like being led. Yeah, what do you want me to say? But then sometimes he'd be really funny with that stuff too. He would just say nonsensical things and then be like, who knows if it's true, I don't know. I mean he wasn't flying along, and he did say that he did tell the director, you can't put this out, I think, and then so then it sat on a shelf for years, remember, Yeah, and then at the very at the end of his life, he gave permission for them to put out the documentary.
Speaker 2: It really made me cry.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it was so sad.
Speaker 2: It was really sad, and it was very different.
Speaker 3: You know, we both cried at the Gary Shanling thing that Jed Appatow did, but it was a different kind of thing.
Speaker 1: This.
Speaker 3: This was like a little more confusing because All was a difficult dude, you know, he just like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, interestingly though, it's interesting that you bring that up, and I would I want to, like maybe even rewatch it because I remember because I think we talked about it on the show, but we totally talked about it. Gary Schandling thing was weird because he comes off as so much more of a douche and a narcissist than like, you think of Gary Shandling as a genius. Then you watch this documentary and you're like, really, he was kind of hacky, I mean, kind of at all.
Speaker 3: I always come back to this and I'm sorry to have to bring Oh, this is a whole other topic which we don't have time for now. But because I wanted to say some stuff about Bill Maher, but let's just save that.
Speaker 2: Maybe we'll do that. Maybe that will be I don't know.
Speaker 3: He remember when Gary was on Bill Maher with Sean Penn and I don't know why it maybe laugh So Sean was just talking about some something whatever and Gary kind of glazed over, and then he was like, Okay, are you done or whatever.
Speaker 2: He's like, do you think I could use your summer house in Iran?
Speaker 3: It just really made me laugh the way Gary Shanley and even Sean Penn laughed. Even he was like okay, ah, but he was just trying to say, like he's so ridiculous, right, you know, right, like so so not that we're not left, but so far left that he's like, you probably have a summerhouse in Iran?
Speaker 1: Can I use it?
Speaker 3: He is so he was so witty and so funny. But yeah, he was also a dick. So I think your point is it's just.
Speaker 1: A real dick. He fucked over like a lot of women women, Yeah he did. He was an asshole to people on the set. He was he it was. He was not good. He fucked over managers. He was always having like fights with people, but also he fucked them over? Or was he just won in control of his career? Not the women part.
Speaker 3: I mean that I can't I can't say why, but like you know, fucking over managers it's like fucking over an agent is like killing a snake for a guilty I don't have like much faith in like the suits these days, so I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, did he just change managers? You know what I mean. I'm just I'm just I'm just talking for the you know, I have to rewatch it again. But he was in a lot of lawsuits. Yeah, I recall with a lot of other people that have a lot of lawsuits too. You know what I mean, it's show business. I just want to us it's not show friends, Cecily not. This is what I'm saying. So so far, I had taken the side of Paddy. Here's what I've took a side of Patti Labone. I took a side of Gary Shandling being a dick to his agents because I don't really like agents.
Speaker 2: What other bad takes.
Speaker 3: So I'm very well, I'm pro peewee, but that we agree on we do well. And I'm not all pro patty. I do not You don't call your fellow actors bitches, Like that's just for date. She's like an eighty thousand years old Stop.
Speaker 1: I'm not all pro pee Wee Herman either, though it sounds like he was. It sounds like he was kind of a nightmare to a lot of people. Yeah, but so funny. It was really really funny, so funny.
Speaker 3: I just I'm so happy that I have all this now that I know that I get to go back and really watch it with those eyes.
Speaker 1: Now that I understand it. I really just didn't get it. It's it's just interesting too, Like show business is such a weird thing because is there no business like it? There's no business like show business, right, But you know, he was even talking about the idea that, you know, you get famous and it's hard to deal with. It's hard to deal with having that kind of power. It's hard to deal with, like, you know, just everybody telling you that you're a genius and it changes people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he said exactly that. You guys, go watch it, Go watch the Pee Wee. It's on HBO Max. Don't be stupid, don't be ridiculous. Should we plug our Patreon? Don't be a batch. Should we plug what we're gonna talk about on Patreon? Yes? Oh you had another thing too, should we put that there? Your your journal thing? To do both things?
Speaker 1: Okay, I have remember we talked about me, me making out with a guy, my improv teacher. I found the diary entry about that.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're not gonna want to miss that, So join Patreon on board AF for that. And also, I have a personal story that I'm gonna tell today and it kind of I'm kind of agitated about something. We got to keep it tight though you can't tell everybody. We're going to keep it at our Patreon and I want to ask you all's opinions on that. So you got two good ones, so join atriam. Please let's say hello to our people that are already on our patrios. Say hello, David Becker, Carolyn Basti, Silvan Should we do it as pee wee?
Speaker 2: We can't really do Silvano because it sounds more.
Speaker 3: Like a Bobcat, Patrick Ice, We'll just do it's Henry, Julie Turnbull, Victoria Blake, Andrea Crawford, Richard Frolicker, Jon Bajapeig, Carrie Moller Take us home.
Speaker 1: Oh, my gosh, by the way, Julie Turnbull, he's going is taking my writing class. Hi Julie Turnbull today her I'm going to meet her right after she listens to this. That is wonderful. Hi Julie, to meet you. Yeah, okay, where were we? Karen Johnson, Watson, uh Second Rinker, Jill shawthena Gin Shirt, Sean Price and Kate.
Speaker 3: And for business, we have Becky Barriss, as we always have from day one. Thank you, Becky. She makes all the T shirts that you know, we both we all love you. She makes the T shirts herself, and you can choose from like little fun sayings, or you can make your own, which I think is so fun and I've done it twice.
Speaker 1: They make great gifts.
Speaker 3: Or if you're like doing like a bachelorette party or a reunion, you can make your.
Speaker 2: Little shirts, matching shirts.
Speaker 1: With people's names on the back.
Speaker 2: She can do it. She'll help you with like the color coding.
Speaker 3: Of it, like and it's very soft and wearable and affordable. So you want to find her at just basic Beecky dot com I think, and or basic Becky on Facebook.
Speaker 1: And then listen it today when we're recording this is the first day of Pride Month. So in honor of Randy may Ames, give to the Trevor Project.
Speaker 3: And we say in honor Randy Maames because she uses her shout as a charity.
Speaker 1: Yes, and any gifts given to the Trevor Project in June, they will match every oh ever read dollar will be quadrupled. Wowright, Pride, So maximize your impact by giving this month.
Speaker 3: Do this and join our Patreon. I'll say it again because it's gonna be a good one this week. Plus they're always good. Yeah, I'm honest, thank you. This was like a pretty damn good show. Yeah, was our funniest show.
Speaker 1: No, we love you.
Speaker 2: Oh well, one more plug. You will see this because it's all going to be on the same feed.
Speaker 3: But if you're not already, start catching up on in just like that, because it's back and we are going. We started our recaps already. It does not disappoint, So don't forget to listen to those.
Speaker 1: Two yes, and that will be all. Everything will be on our Rose Pricks feed, which you have found. Okay, Hi, I love you, thank you.
Speaker 2: We are sorry.
Speaker 1: We are sorry today for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, bye,