Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are.
Speaker 1: Get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 2: The kids are playing or turn at the countries are.
Speaker 1: Screwing it up. Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals. They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's nick coffee?
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started here on a beautiful Thursday afternoon. Thursday. It's no longer the new Friday. It just is an extension of Friday, because it's not new anymore. We've been doing this for a while at least, you know, a month where we have treated Thursday as if it is, in fact Friday. I consider that to be a vibe enhancement, if you will.
Speaker 3: And it kind of is my Friday this week.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, even more reason to treat this like a Friday. I don't think we've gotten anybody totally confused to where they you know, they leave work and they're in the car in the four o'clock, five o'clock I don't know maybe you leave work at three. I'm not sure, and then you like go home and you're like, well, I caught such a vibe. That was a Friday that like I didn't even remember. I had to go to work the next day. Hopefully that doesn't happen to you, because you know, we don't want to get you in trouble. But technically it's Thursday, but we treat it as a Friday and we're gonna have some fun. It is Coffee and Company. My name is Nick Coffee. The company man John all On alongside. We are fueled by Thornton's and a big shout out to my friends at Thornton's. I was in there this morning with another nutritious breakfast for my children, giving them just a you know, frozen sugar. I mean that's really what it is. The fizz freeze so delicious, and they never got bored with the fist freeze, but they're now. And it kind of reminds me of my childhood, because did you ever get a fountain drink like when you were a kid at a restaurant and mix like five different sodas? Oh?
Speaker 3: I always thought that was gross. I never did that.
Speaker 2: Knowing your you know your style when it comes to eating drinking. Yeah, yeah, I'm not totally surprised, and honestly you're not wrong, like I think, I mean, that would never be.
Speaker 3: Like people would call it a suicide though that was the slive term for it.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, so wow that you really just did something great for me because bit yeah, but like I was for sure that you're so much younger than me that there's no way that was the thing when you were growing up too. But but it is so yeah, I mean, my first experience with suicide, which you know, I mean, it's what we called it, but like you know, that's probably not a It wouldn't be acceptable today exactly, kind of like when we would run sprints in basketball, Like I think people who played sports know what a suicide is, where you start on the inline and go to the free throw line back, half court back, other free throw line back. You know, we change. In fact, when I was in high school, I don't know if it was because our co which was just trying to you know, establish a culture, as most coaches do when they take over, we went from those being called suicides to calling them eagle sprints. And I don't remember if it was because we were PC and it was in a new world, or if that's just what we called them, but either way, I remember after a basketball game when I was a kid, when I played like little league basketball, we go to the concession stand and you get like a free drink after every game at the Blue Lick Optimist Basketball League, and all the kids were doing it, and you would and at this time, you know you and I'm sure most like concession stands, you're not getting your own drink. I don't know, maybe you are, but like we would tell the lady working the concession stand like we all wanted suicides, and sure enough, she'd fill these little cups up with like five different soft drinks. And I drank one really quick one time, and I just threw up everywhere. And I never did that. I never did that again. And I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the combination of a bunch of different sodas or if I just chugged it because I was so excited, because you know, all the other kids were talking about how that's what they do. They don't just get a coke, they don't just get a sprite. They get them all. But my, my daughter last week, she she got I think it might have been the cotton candy fish freeze, and it it wasn't. It was working, but it wasn't. It was kind of runny, you know, it wasn't. It wasn't. It wasn't normal. So I ended up just you know, pouring it out as best I could. And then I got her the Mountain do one, and like it was, she could see there was different colors in there, So what's moose one? He wants to he wants to mix it up too. So now each time we go, you know, they're they're mixing like three different flavors of their of their slushies, the fist freeze, and uh, you know they're enjoying it. Hopefully you know, hopefully there's not a combination uh that that could be you know, dangerous, but they haven't, you know, they they haven't gotten sick yet. But that would be me Like that would be such a me story that I I just you know, it's already bad enough that I about every other day, I start my kid's day with not a nice cup of milk or you know, orange juice or something like most kids probably are guided to drink or you know, for breakfast, I get my kids, you know, slushies, but like I could see me get in a call from her school or his daycare like yeah, like they've been projectile vomiting the last time you've been bringing him in, Like what's going on. I'm like, oh, yeah, I guess I should stop giving him slushies in general, and mixing a mountain dew and a firecracker and a you know the I mean, it's probably not safe, but you know, it is what it is. But what I will mention if you don't want to do friss freeze, and you certainly don't want to do it for breakfast, I understand. But right now they've got taquitos, spicy beef and chicken and cheese, three of them for three bucks, so take advantage again. They've got some absolutely delicious food at Thornton's. I believe they change the game when it comes to gas station convenience store food because you know, there's always been a stigma about and I don't know, you don't want to eat gas station prepared food unless like it's the only option. Well not anymore. Thornton's has got a lot of delicious items, including their new taquitos, and again you can get three of them for just three bucks, So keep that in mind. Maybe you go on on your lunch break at work and you don't have the full lour even thirty minutes because you got to get back at it. Well, you can get in and out with a delicious lunch and of course a drink of your choice at Thornton's with I mean, it could be the quickest lunch you ever had, So keep them in mind. We are feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety all right, So I guess we'll just jump right in here and talk about the big news that I would say most Louisville fans have been discussing amongst each other since last night. And it's not just discussing. I mean there's a lot of people upset, complaining, and I get it. I mean I totally totally understand it, and I knew eventually it would happen to Louisville because I think for the most part, Louisville has been pretty lucky when it comes to having a player simply just bail because they can. It actually did happen a little bit during the pandemic. If you remember Jaban Hawkins and even two two out well towards the end, like those guys kind of just opted out because the season was gone. But I think at that point it was such a weird year trying to play football during COVID that you didn't really I mean, like they it didn't have anything to do with the pandemic, but like because it was so unusual, Like that's such a forgotten time in college football, to be honest with you. But Colin Lacey, one of the top transfers for Louisville, he decided yesterday, or at least he notified the staff that he was, that he was going to be hanging it up for the rest of the season because he's only played in four games. And what this does is it gives him a chance to extend his college career and play one more season in twenty twenty five. Because he did not play more than four games, he sits now he qualifies for a red shirt. So I mean, I wasn't at all. So I mean I didn't see it coming necessarily. I did hear yesterday that there was there was you know, every now and then I'll get somebody that sends me something that they're getting elsewhere, and whoever they got it from is probably getting it elsewhere. But I, you know, and I heard that there was going to be some potential news about a player. I thought maybe an injury, like maybe somebody you know, maybe somebody you know got hurt in practice or you know, I didn't really know, And to be honest with you, I'm not checked out for Louisville football. But like I, you know, at this point seven games in, you know, best case scenario, if that plays out, you'd still end up having a good season, and I think fans would be, you know, super excited because if if you somehow go eight and four easier said than done, you would have done two things that we haven't one and we haven't done in a long time when we've never done, so like that's still out there. It's just I can't really look at Louisville seven games in and say that I expect them to do that and run the table from here on out. So again, it's not that I'm checked out. I mean, I'm excited for tomorrow night's game. But also, you know, what we discussed as a possibility far from you know, something we should have just expected. But it also wasn't you know, a pipe dream to say that you could get back to Charlotte. Were there last year, and on paper, I think this team looked like they were going to be better than they were a year ago. And I still think at a lot of positions they are better as far as talent and ability. The offense is certainly better, but your four and three you are ature record says says it is, so you know, With all that said, Colin Lacy has decided to opt out not play the rest of the season, and it's unclear what he's going to do next year. I was told late last night that there's not really an expectation that he will be back at Louisville next year. Now that doesn't mean that they know for sure that he's not coming back. I think you know, from from from the person I talked to, they'd love to have him back. They would love to make it work if possible. But the way these things typically play out, I'd say your best bet is that he ends up going elsewhere because he's gonna you know, he'll have a good anile situation here once again, and I assume he likes it here, but he's going to be you know, here's here's what I here's here's what I predict plays out. And this is not This is mean again, I don't think he anybody, even Colin Lacey for sure, knows exactly what he's going to be doing, you know, the rest of the way here in his in his in his college career. But my guess will be that he enters the portal but is still considering Louisville. He's going to have a whole lot of you know, of options, and he'll probably end up getting an offer he can't turn down and maybe UFL matches it, or maybe they say, look, you know, we we we can't, we can't do that, not because they don't have any money, but because they just they're going to choose to spend differently. So none of us know exactly what happens here. But my guess will be that Louisville will be involved and do what they can to try to keep him around. But maybe, you know, and maybe he does come back, or or he decides to, you know, go somewhere where they've got more money, and maybe they've got a chance to have a much more special I mean again, nobody knows at all how the rest of this season, is going to finish up let alone next year. But you know, if he gets a chance to go play it somewhere that is fresh off in appearance in the college football Playoff, and the money is similar there as it is here, maybe a little bit more like, I'm not going to be surprised that all off he ends up leading Louisville and never playing another down here. So this is not that unusual. In fact, it's I don't want to say it's super common, but in the new world of college sports, this is how players operate. You know. I know a lot of people are calling Colin Lacy a quitter, and you know, saying that he quit on his teammates. And there's a lot of layers to the gripe that I'm hearing as far as just people complaining what you know, some are just blaming it all on this kid, saying he's a quitter, he quit on his teammates. Some are blaming the system, and you know, some are blaming Brahm. You know, like, how could this happen? If you'd have been better this year, the kid wouldn't have even thought about leaving because louisll would be in a you know Louisa would be in position to play for the a SEC title. So you know, it sucks all the way around. And there's a few different specific things that I've heard people mentioning when they're you know, griping about it. But I'll start with Lacy himself. I'm not I'm not surprised. And again, like I get it. I'm not telling anybody that they should just accept this and not be bummed. And you know, wishing well. I mean, if you wanted to do that, that's cool, because you can't control it. It's completely out of our control in every way. But what I have mentioned here and there, and it's not something that's really dominated this show because again it hasn't happened to Louisville or even Kentucky for that matter, but it's happening elsewhere. Now. With Colin, it's a little bit different because he didn't play the first three games this year because he was injured. So here he is after seven games being able to reset and say, you know, I could finish up this season, but I'm not totally healthy. I'm not one hundred percent. I'm still shaking off some rust. I'm still not myself totally. I already missed out on three games this team that I'm playing for, I mean in his eyes, and I'm sure he's not referring to his teammates and his team as his workplace or his employer or his coworkers. But that's what this is now, and I think the quicker people just understand that this is what it is. Maybe you won't be as bummed as you are when you found out the news last night. I mean, I think what's happened in college sports. This is the way I see it from, you know, an aerial view. It's really been transactional for a long time. It's always been transactional for coaches. That's why you should never believe coaches when they tell you, oh, I'm not going anywhere, I'm gonna retire here, you know, like because you know that they they do and they may be genuine. They may love you, and they may you know, really really appreciate their boss, the athletic director, the community that they're coaching, and the fan base like it all may be genuine, but the reason that they're there in the first place is because it's a job. It's transactional, and if they get a much better opportunity they're gonna leave because you know what, it's a job to them. You would probably leave your current job if you could go get it much better job that would put you in a much better situation for you and your family. But we've never looked at college sports that way. It's always been that way with coaches for the most part, especially in last I don't know, ever since they've been ever since, they've been able to make millions upon millions of dollars, and it has nothing to do with them actually winning games. With players, it hasn't always been transactional, but you know, there's always been some things along the way that lead to players decide, Like before NIL, before the portal, let's be real, I mean, they were choosing schools that gave them the best opportunity to get to the NBA or the NFL. That's not you getting a paycheck to go there, but that's that's the transaction. They're not there because they love the fans, and they may end up loving the fans, they may really appreciate the fan base they play for. But it's always been transactional to an extent, and now it's riding your face every day when you follow college sports closely. This is all transactional, This is all work. This is their job, coaches and players now and we're not used to it. And things that used to make you love college sports weren't really what you thought they were, right, It's not as all for the love of the game and playing for the playing for I'm playing for the name on the front of this jersey because damn it, they gave me a scholarship to get a free education, so I'm gonna give it my all. Like you could live in that world that's not reality, and it made it seem kind of wholesome, right that college sports. Man, These guys are just out here because they love they love the fans, man, they love this state. But no, and again I don't bring this up to say that like all these players are for years have been like frauds and bad people. But we could get lost in this being a wholesome thing and it's all for the love of the game and the love of the school and just live in that alternate reality. But now you can't, because it's right in front of your face every single day that this is work, and they will, you know, And I shouldn't say they should they I mean, do whatever you want, but so many have you to really give it any thought that you would do the same thing. I mean, you'll never know until you're in that situation, and most of us will never be in the situation that these high level college athletes are in. But if you had the chance to potentially make a move, rather it be bailing on your gig and you know, going and sitting out with like a non compete or something, and then starting fresh a year later in a much better situation with more money and maybe a team that you know, maybe maybe an employer that has a chance to do bigger and better things like making the college football playoff, you'd probably do the same thing. So I think what it comes down to is that it's just so different than what we were accustomed to for decades, generations even, and now people are, you know, uncomfortable about it. Like Colin Lacey. He may be an NFL guy, I don't know. I mean I haven't I've seen a whole lot of buzz about him being a guy that will get drafted this year. I have no clue. You know, he's certainly a talented player, there's no doubt about that, and I'm not saying like he might be an NFL player because I'm questioning him. I'm just saying I have no clue if he has like any legitimate buzz, like if he's somebody they're talking about it is like a mid round guy maybe. So if so, it wouldn't be totally shocked. He was super productive in his first four years at South Alabama and then when he got I mean, I mean he just had a kick off return for a touchdown. He's made some big plays. But there's also a chance that he ends up, you know, not making it in the NFL, because that's a pretty hard thing to do. You know, many really good players in college just never never make it in the NFL, or maybe they make it a year or two on the practice squad like that. It's not easy to make the NFL your long term career. So if I was Colin Lacey and I was in the exact same situation he was in, I think I would do the same thing. And I know people would say, well, because you're a quitter, yes, and no, I'm going to a different job. I'm gonna go get another job where I can make more money and set myself up in my family way better than I could if I stuck around here. I mean, let's say Collin's not an NFL guy. By playing for Louisville the rest of the year, he would eliminate his eligibility and then go take a chance on the NFL, maybe be a practice squad guy. Maybe he getstracted. I don't know, we'll never know, but like that would that would end his college career, and he would be ending his college career in his last season where he didn't play the full season because of an injury, and he didn't even play at full strength. Therefore, like his numbers in the film on him, is probably not what he believes is as best it could be for the NFL to really evaluate him for a job in that league at that profession. So by doing this, he can start fresh next year and oh, by the way, probably make money in one season of NIL that will pay him a lot more. Like let's say the NFL is not an option, or maybe it's only two years in the practice squad, another year in college for him will probably result in him making way more money than he would ever make in his first job outside of football at an entry level position. I mean, it's really a no brainer if you think about it. And I hate saying that because you know, then you worry about like is everybody going to do it? And they might because they have the ability to, so like I'm not surprised. I wish he was still going to play for Louisville this year, and I hope he comes back to Louisville next year because I think he's that good of a player. But this one may be the one you think about for a long time because it was when it really hit you as a fan that it can happen to your team too. So now a different conversation is the whole system itself? Yeah, it's I mean it's it's it's broken there there's no enough guardrails currently as far as like I mean, because technically he and I don't In the million dollar questions, no pun intended, is what were the arrangements for Colin Lacy's and IL this year? Has he already been paid like in full?
Speaker 1: I doubt it?
Speaker 2: But did he have a contract to where like he had to actually honor some things because you can't put it in contract, and where that's where people get so twisted up about it, like these schools and these collectives are not allowed to have anything in writing that they're paying you to play, because that's still technically not allowed. So even if there is a contract about nil and he's still around here with the team, you know, he's just opting out, but he's going to school and he still wants to make these appearances or whatever it is that he had to, you know, whatever his end was to get his full ANDIL money. He can still do that and not play football, because again, that's how stupid and screwed up the system is. You're not paying them to play, although you are, or you just have to dress it up as something different, and that's what we call it an IL. So like, I don't know the answers to those questions. And next year, when you are allowed to pay, you're allowed to mean I say you're allowed. I mean, I'm sure they don't want to, but I would say nearly every power for program will will pay the twenty two million, which is the maximum amount allowed that spreads out to all your student athletes. So what that does is that just makes that like a stipend like that that if it was just that, then the playing field would be relatively even for football because you know, the maximum amount is twenty two million, and yeah, others could afford more than that, but all you can pay is twenty two million, So that gives you somewhat of an even level playing field, right, So Nil is going to be the difference maker. Nil is still going to be the kicker. It's not going anywhere. So I'm not telling anybody how to feel about it. I'm not telling people to like just you know, accept it, but like, this is not going to be an unusual sitch situation moving forward. Now, if Louisville was undefeated, you think anybody'd be opting out. Probably not right, but they're not. So when the situation changes and what you came to this job to do is no longer on the table, you reassess your situation just like people do when they go to work every day. And it's weird to compare it, but that's what it is to these student athletes now, which I mean they are student athletes, but they're also employees. And coaches can view a situation, get up and leave and go find a better option anytime. They have been able to do that for years. Well now players can too, and it's just it's different so you know, I don't know Lacey's in il situation. But for those that are mad that they might have given money to the five oh two Circle that they assumed was going to somebody like Colin Lacy and now they feel like they got screwed, Well, you did and you didn't. I mean, technically you're still not allowed to pay players to play the game.
Speaker 3: You guys.
Speaker 2: Remember Trenton Flowers, he got all of his NIL money pretty sure upfront, and you know, he still made some appearances, and I think, and I don't know if it got to this point, I doubt it because I think, again he got all of his money up front, and I think after Trenton Flowers, the five O two Circle made some changes as far as you know contractually what they're putting together, but again they can't put it under contract that if you don't play this many games, then you don't get any money, because again you're still not allowed to do that. Like there was some kind of like United Way organization that some of these student athletes last year were participating in these events, and that was sort of part of how they got their NIL. It's just dressing it up as something different than what we know it actually is is you're paying them to be on the team and play. But when it comes down to like legal stuff, contracts, it's never It's never anything about he's got a suit up and play this many games. So look, it sucks all the way around. Trust me, I hate it, but I just have tried to accept that this is the new world and it is what it is.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: We got a couple of guys gon to join us coming up here a four thirty. We're going to talk to Trevor Hass he covers Boston college football for the Boston Globe, and then at five oh five we'll bring in mister Kent Spencer from WHAS eleven. If you want to join us on the show, you can Fibo two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number. Text line Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line five O two six five three zero seven ninety. Keep it locked right here. It's Coffee and Company. Phil Beth Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. It's one of those songs that I feel like, you know, as soon as I heard it, I'm like, oh yeah, this song came out, you know, five six years ago.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 2: Like twelve years ago.
Speaker 3: Let's see twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thirteen years ago. Goodness gracious, yeah that era like from twenty eleven twenty twelve to like now, man, it's a it's a blur, it really is.
Speaker 3: But because this is the kind of the birth of mumble rap, if we're being honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't know, but I mean, mumble this this is future.
Speaker 3: Future and a guy named why c has any other hits.
Speaker 2: So why why see why Cee has a uh why see has a song that is probably around the same time there, because I don't think he had much momentum after that brief run he had with that song, which was huge, and then he had another songs gosh, what was it called. It's called I know it's it's like the ultimate like gem song for me, like if I'm running on the treadmill or something. But yeah, like I wouldn't consider future mumble rap, but I'm sure a lot of people do. And there's been like a two different eras of mumble rap that I guess, you know, I mean, is that still a thing? Like I don't know if it's like if it's like popular, yea, I don't anymore.
Speaker 3: But it was whenever I was in high school.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean it's amazing that they did that that, I mean that would catch on. But I'm sure there's music that like we grew up listening to that. The younger generation they sit back and think like, who the hell would like this? So you know, everybody's different, all right. It is Coffee and Company we are feel about Thorton's here on a beautiful Thursday afternoon. I already feel like I've got a victory under my belt for the day. Like when I got here today and I got out of the car walked in, I feel like the day can only go down from here because I accomplished something today that I've never accomplished before, and that was beating the expected arrival time courtesy of the ways app by like ten minutes. And thanks to you, John, I put in the address every day. In fact, Ways knows Ways knows my routine. So when I open the ways app, like it just says, hey, you going here, and I'm thinking, yep, I am going to the fifth Street Garage at four Street Live. So it just hit go and then it routes me and it gives me the there's really two ways I can go, and it's ninety nine percent of the time it's the same path. But then there are times where because of traffic, they route me the other way, which who knows, maybe I'd be late for shows if I didn't do that. So that's all. That's me learning from John being responsible and planning ahead and whatnot. But today I did it, and I saw the expected arrival time, and each day I try to beat it, not by like driving ninety miles an hour and breaking the law, but you know, I always look at the expect as soon as I put it in. When I pull out of the driveway, I see the expected arrival time, and I'm like, be there ten minutes before that. You don't know how I drive. I can, And again I'm not master maneuverer. Yeah it's not like I'm always going over the speed limit, but I probably have before. Again, I've gotten pulled over. The only ticket I've ever got in my life was on the way to work. While I was on the phone with Tony Vinetti too.
Speaker 3: By the way, that blue Mustang or whatever.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, talked about that cop in the Mustang that's always like, you know, you never see him until he's behind you with his lights on like he's alway, I mean, he's he's sneaky, sneaky. But today I got here nine minutes earlier than I was supposed to. And it's I guess, really sad that those are the things that make me happy in life now. And a football team's been pretty underwhelming this year, frustrating, no doubt. So now I find satis and I'm terrible at betting on sports. I mean, that doesn't get it. That's that's not a real thrill and a and a you know, a competitive thing that I have fun with anymore because I'm so bad at it. So trying to get somewhere faster than the ways app expects me to get there is now what I do for fun, to really get a to get a rush, you know what I'm saying, to live.
Speaker 3: On the edge. So how'd you beat them today?
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, And I mean I have no clue. And maybe I cheated because lately what I've been doing is I will i'll, I mean, I know where I'm going, so I'll put it in and then turn it off because I want. I want to, because sometimes if you leave it on the whole route, like sometimes if you're like, I mean, I use it throughout an entire drive if I don't know where I'm going, But if I put it in, I know exactly where I'm going. I just want to see which way they're routing me. Yeah, but I also stop following it throughout the ride because I you know, sometimes they'll realize, oh, wow, traffic was bad. Now it's not You're you're updated. It expected a rival time as this, So like maybe there was traffic and it went away, but I couldn't beat them. I could never, like no matter what, I would always be there like a minute or maybe two minutes earlier than expected, never like, you know, close to ten minutes, which I was today. So I would assume to answer your question, it was it was traffic that maybe was bad for a minute and then it wasn't. So yeah, And I don't know how they know it, like how they're so accurate because they're not just basing it off of like the speed limit, you know what I mean, Like because they know people can go faster. So like, yeah, it's it's you know, it's the power of technology. And I'm loyal to ways. Like there's a lot of different services and things out there maps. Yeah, like I you know Apple Maps, Okay they have Oh yeah, yeah, so that's yes, that's the one. I don't know if it's called that either, but that's the one that comes on the iPhone. And then you can do Google Maps, and then you can do Ways. And I'm not really like that. I'm not super loyal to brands, you know what I mean, Like I I can I can get by with a generic version of something like I. You know, it's not something I'm real picky about a lot, but some people are the opposite. They will, Hey, if I if I'm eating, you know, if I'm gonna put this condiment on my food, I'm only getting this brand, Like if I'm getting laundry detergent, Nope, it's got to be this specific brand in this specific scent. Like I'm kind of whatever. But with Ways, like no, if anybody brings Like if I see my wife over there trying to navigate somewhere she gets Google Maps out, I want to throw ress out of the car, like get out of here or a ways family, Honey, you didn't know, now you do.
Speaker 3: I've never used ways? Why is ways better?
Speaker 2: You've never used ways?
Speaker 3: No, I've always had Google Maps much one.
Speaker 2: It's way more accurate and it can route you. I mean, I feel like it can. I don't know about Google Maps. I don't use Google Maps, but the one that comes on the iPhone, I just it's I mean, it's still like I would use that if I'm walking somewhere, because Ways doesn't. If it does do the walking thing, then I don't I don't know how to.
Speaker 1: Get to it.
Speaker 2: But Ways also tells you hey cop up here, or hey, hey pothole, or hey you know, and you can get like if you if you say still there after you know, car on the side of the road, you get like you get like more points a game. Yeah, it's it's it's you know.
Speaker 3: You heard Way. I've heard Ways drains your battery too. I don't know if that's true anymore, but that was what I heard back in the day.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't shock me. I feel like any any GPS service is going to drain a battery. And to be honest with you, John, straight up, they're probably exactly the same. Just like just like Android and iPhone, like there's not many things that you can I mean, there's very few things you can do on one of those phones. That you can't do on the other it's just preference and what you get used to. And of course, you know the fight that will never end, the the rivalry that'll never that will never go away. People who love Android are really loyal to that, and they they you know, they think iPhone Apple people are stupid and they're snobs, and you know, the Apple people, they just they don't understand anybody would ever not have an iPhone.
Speaker 3: And now they use Android chargers if you have a new iPhone. Well, teddy, I mean, I know it's not technically androids, it's USBC, but you teach what it's what the androids of all the US.
Speaker 2: It's USB C. Now I'm glad that they that they that they've done that, but like my AirPods are still on the old iPhone, so like we still have one older iPhone and that was their own thing, right, Like I don't know of many other devices that used I can't think of anything that's not an Apple product.
Speaker 3: That it was the lightning course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, maybe lightning is utilized elsewhere with other devices. But yeah, so shout out to shoutouts to ways and you know, I stopped at I stopped so my my my route here. Once I'm on sixty five, which is ninety percent of the trip, I get off at Broadway on sixty five North, I take an immediate left on Jacob Street and then go down to go down to a stop sign until I until I hit Second Street. Take the left. Is that Broadway? I think it's Broadway. Take a left on Broadway and then go down to Fish Street turn and then the garage is there. So if you know downtown, then I think you know where I'm talking about. But where the Thorntons used to be. They shut down that Thorntons that was there on First Street, And I mean, do you ever go that way, yes, okay, Like there's a lot of people just hanging out. Yeah, And today there was somebody in the middle of the street right there on First Street at the Jacob Street stop sign that like wouldn't move and because people were like lightly honking, like hey alone, because there wasn't traffic, but like people were backed up a little bit more so than usual, and you know, they wouldn't move, and they had like by I mean, it's really sad because clearly it's people who are seemingly homeless or at least just going through. Really, I don't want to assume anybody out there that has a bunch of bags and like, you know, it's like they have all their life's belongings and they're just walking through that area, which is again really really sad. But this guy and move today for you know. I mean, it wasn't like it took forever, but I'm thinking, all right here I am. I got a chance to potentially beat ways by a good, good amount and somebody's gonna hold me up. Luckily I was able to get through, and again I got here nine minutes quicker than expected. Which, hey, it's the little things, little things in life that you know, that make me happy. Now, all right? Fib Oo two five seven seventy nine hundreds the number if you guys want to jump in and give us a call, phone lines or open You can also text in Fibo two sixty five three zero seven ninety on the L and N Federal Credit Union text line. This tech says, Nick, You're gonna need to reevaluate your take on Kentucky fans jumping off the Mark Pope bandwagon early. They think they're going forty to oh after an exhibition beat down. So I you know, I didn't get a chance to listen to any of I mean, I've been I've been running around all day today, so I haven't listened to much of anything. So I don't know if on KSR they were doing that or if you're just seeing Kentucky fans on some social media and look, this is this is what this is what we do, right, like we kind of we don't always, we don't all act exactly the same, but there are things that you'll poke fun at the rival for doing, knowing that like you and your fans of this of your if your team do the same thing, like it's just it's how petty and childish this is. So I haven't seen any Kentucky fan claiming they're going forty oh and they're gonna win a national championship. But but what I would gather is that they're just really excited about the new world that is Kentucky basketball under Mark Pope and not John Caliperry. And I'm sure if I looked hard enough, I would find somebody who thinks Kentucky's gonna win a national championship and they're going to go forty oh. But like, I didn't hear a single Louisville fan that was being serious claimed that the exhibition win over Young Harris meant that Louisville was going to be an elite team this year. But obviously we're in a way better situation than we were in with Kenny Payne, and Louisville came out in their first chance to play in front of fans, although it wasn't a real game, and they played a really, really fun, exciting style of play. They drained twenty four to threes. So I think both fan bases are honestly doing the same thing. I'm not hearing a whole lot of people really ramping up expectations, but I think both teams have both both fan bases have seen their teams play an exhibition play, and both teams shot the ball well, dominated their opponent, and that's encouraging. So, you know, I don't mean I'm sure Kentucky Wesleyan was a similar challenge as Young Harris was to Lowell. Now what it said, I would mean, I can't think of Tucky way. I think Kentucky Wesleyan at the Division two level is you know, believed to be a better team than Young Harris, but by how much I don't know. And at the end of the day, you really can't learn a whole lot in these games unless you learn the hard way. If you learned something and you have a real big reaction, a big takeaway, a real result. We're speaking of in an exhibition game. It's likely because of what happened with Kenny Payne, where you messed around and lost two of those four games that you played. By the way, Kentucky, where they make twenty was it twenty two two threes? Twenty four threes? Yeah, they shot twenty Let's see here. Why is it not showing me? They were twenty one of forty two. Pretty damn good. Wesleyan was four of twenty seven. That's not very good. I didn't Yeah, I'm just now looking at the numbers. It looks like they had a pretty balanced attack. I mean, it looks like they had nearly everybody who played, almost all of them scored at least double figures. So, look, that's what you're supposed to do in these kind of games. And I'm sure Kentucky fans are just as encouraged as Louisville fans were on on Monday night. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Don't forget. We've got a couple of guests going to join us today, but that's not until a little while. So if you want to jump in, you can BIBBO two five to seven, one seventy nine hundred bone lines are open. We will talk a little Boston college football around four thirty today because we have a beat rider that covers BC. Trevor Hass for the Boston Globe's going to join us at four thirty Bibo five. We'll talk to Ken Spencer and uh in between there, well, we'll have some fun, so stick around right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Yes, this is the exact song that I was that I was referring to earlier. I haven't heard it in probably, i don't know, seven eight years.
Speaker 3: So you usould get hype at the gym.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's just really upbeat. Is Ace Hood in this song too?
Speaker 1: Act?
Speaker 2: Yes, Dode whatever happen to that guy? Forgot about him?
Speaker 3: He had a couple songs. Oh he was big for a little while. Yeah he was.
Speaker 2: He was a big deal for a little while, and you know, maybe still is and I'm just checked out. But yeah, this this song still is great in my opinion, but I'm sure you know others disagree. All right, very little time left here once again, and I've I've let John know that, like he's going to have to kick me off the air at the at certain points in each segment, just because I love having In fact, the five o'clock hours a little bit different, because I just assumed that like the last you know, the last segment, you know, I assume we still have people listening, but you know, the people who get in their car at like three forty five or four forty five, like they're the ones who if they're in the car for twenty I don't know, twenty ish minutes, the majority of that time is nothing but commercials. And that's all my fault because I go way too long in the first segment and in the second segment. I mean, I last way too long. Story in my life. It's it's just you know, something, I've something I've pretty good.
Speaker 3: I've got got to deal with ye all about the bro.
Speaker 2: Beat, Yeah, exactly exactly, thanks thanks to doctor Wood. It's you know, it's never been an issue. Shout out to the Louis of the Men's Clinic. So you know, I I'll uh. I was gonna say I'll do better, but I would be lying. I'm gonna have to make John make me do better because I don't have the discipline, and you know, it's it's unfortunate. So I'm sure nobody paid attention or cares. But last night we actually had one of the biggest upsets in college football this year as Liberty who if you remember we talked about the undefeated teams in college football, they were undefeated. They weren't ranked, and it's for obvious reason, not only because they lost last night, but like they hadn't played anybody and their bottom level FBS as far as they're conference, and they were twenty eight point favorites last night and they lost to an OH to six team who was zero to ten all time versus FBS teams. Kennasaw State pulled off a humongous upset that I think might actually end up being the biggest upset of the season so far. And again it's it's Kennesau State and Liberty, so nobody really cares. But there were ten undefeated teams until last night. Now there's just nine, and they were the only undefeated team that wasn't ranked.
Speaker 3: I believe that's correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So as far as the S and P plus, which is an ESPN formula that that I do actually think is great, that's Bill Conley's that you know, Kennesaw State is two seventh in the S and P plus. That makes them the worst FBS team in the country, worse than sixty six FCS teams, worse than seven Division two teams, only seven spots ahead of the best Division three team in the country. So you know, again it's not going to move the needle because of who it is. But that's a huge upset in college football. And you know, I we had it on at the house as as Mace was going to sleep, and it didn't hit me till I looked up and saw this, you know, because the whole time I had it on, it was really just background noise, and I didn't realize, Oh, one of these teams is oh and six the other six and oh and I mean, and you know, honestly, I think what got my attention about that was hearing how like animated the broadcasters were, because hey, you're calling any game that that you know, at any level, you want to be enthusiastic, you want to be into it because you know it's part of your job. But you know they were a little bit more amped than which you typically get from a two or a Wednesday night. What conference is that? Is that Conference? USA? I know Liberty is in conference, yes, and I guess I guess that's that's what it is. But yeah, so I'm looking here. I just had this pulled up a moment ago. Biggest, like the biggest upset of the season is actually Drake over Eastern Washington, but that's FCS if you count FBS. This tie the Northern Illinois upset over Notre Dame. Vanderbilt was twenty three and a half point dogs overall against Baman, and of course that was a big upset too. All right, quick break, we got two hours left, so stick around right here on a Thursday afternoon, it's coffee and company Field Bet Thorton's on Sports Talk seven ninety