Speaker 1: Today on Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, we continue in our series called the Habits of Happiness. In these lessons, Pastor Rick dives into the Book of Philippians and helps you discover God's path to true and lasting happiness. Now we're excited to let you know that very generous friends of Daily Hope have stepped forward with a special fifty thousand dollars matching grand That means any gift you give now will be doubled up to fifty thousand dollars. But this grant expires this Thursday at midnight, So contact us right away. Go to Pastorick dot com or text the word Daily to eight hundred, six hundred five thousand and four. Right now, here's Pastor Rick Warren with the final part of a message called how to keep from Stressing Out.
Speaker 2: Now, when you think about these things true, good, right, pure, beautiful, respected, excellent, worthy, you know what that is.
Speaker 3: It's a picture of God.
Speaker 2: And what he's really saying is think about God. Here's what Isaiah says there on your outline. You Lord will keep in perfect peace. Wouldn't you like to live in perfect peace? Would you like to be less stressed out? You Lord will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, whose thoughts are fixed on.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 2: If you fix your thoughts on God, he says, I will keep.
Speaker 3: You in perfect peace.
Speaker 2: You see, what you think about is going to determine how stressed and how worried you are. You know, I've told you the story of Corey tin Boom. Corey tin Boom was a Dutch Christian young woman during World War Two. Her family the ten Boom family. Her dad was a clockmaker and they lived in Amsterdam during World War two and they made a story that she wrote a book about, and they actually made a movie of her life called The Hiding Place. And during World War two, the ten Boom, this Christian family took in Jewish friends and hid them in what was called the Hiding Place in their house for many years to prevent them from being captured by the Nazis and shipped off to death camps. One day, the Nazis found out and not only took the Jewish friends, but took Corey and her family and they went were taken to death camps in Poland and Corey lost her entire family.
Speaker 3: She was the only one that survived.
Speaker 2: And it's a very wonderful story, and in it she says something I've never forgotten. She said, if you look at the world, you'll be distressed. If you look within, you'll be depressed. But if you look at Christ, you'll be at rest. It all depends on what you have your eyes on. You know, people say, well, look within, Well I did. I didn't like what I said. I don't want to look with it. I want to look without. I want to look at God. I want to look at Christ. Think about good things. Now there's one other step. That's number five. Be content with anything. The Bible tells us to be content with anything. This is the fifth key to living a reduced stress life, where God says, if you do these things, you'll have God's peace in your life. Now, let me explain contentment, because a lot of people misunderstand the meaning of contentment. A lot of people think means contentment means I have no ambition.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: Paul who wrote this book, Remember, he's probably one of the most ambitious men who ever lived. He single handedly takes the good News the Gospel all across the Roman Empire. He's one of the most ambitious people ever. And he says, I've learned to be content, so it has nothing to do with ambition. That's not contentment. Contentment is not laziness. Contentment is not apathy. Contentment is not complacency. Contentment is not fatalism. What will be will be case. Contentment is not lacky ambition content Here's what contentment is. It's enjoying what I have right now, rather than waiting for something else to happen in order for me to be happy.
Speaker 3: Does that make sense.
Speaker 2: It's enjoying what I've got right doesn't mean I don't want to progress, doesn't mean I don't have goals.
Speaker 3: The Bible says you should have goals.
Speaker 2: It means I'm not waiting for something to happen in my life in order to be happy. Contentment is the opposite of coveting. Coveting is when and then thinking, when this happens, then i'll be happy. When this happens, then i'll be happy. And when that happens, then I'll be happy. That's when and then thinking. Contentment is actually independence from circumstances. It means my joy is not connected to what's happening in my life right now.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. Rick will be back in just a moment with the rest of today's lesson. If you've missed any part of today's teaching, you can listen online anytime at Pastorick dot com. That's pastorick dot com.
Speaker 4: One of the things you ask us about the most here on Daily Hope are the Bible scripture cards. We get a ton of requests for them, so Pastor Rick has created another deck of scripture cards with fifty two key verses from his Habits of Happiness teaching series that will help you discover God's path to true and lasting happiness. These colorful, eye catching cards make it easy to memorize the Word of God, so you have it when you need it most, something you hear Pastor Rick talking about all the time. By the way, today, when you give a gift to Daily Hope to help take the Hope of Jesus to a hurting world, generous friends of Daily Hope are going to match your gift up to fifty thousand dollars. But they're only three days left to have your gift matched, so don't wait. Call it eight hundred to six hundred five zero zero four to get this powerful resource. Or you can visit pastorick dot com again. That's eight hundred and six hundred five zero zero four or pastorick dot com once again.
Speaker 3: Here's Rick.
Speaker 2: When this happens, then I'll be happy. And when that happens, then I'll be happy.
Speaker 3: That's when.
Speaker 2: And then thinking contentment is actually independence from circumstances. It means my joy is not connected to what's happening in my life right now. My joy, my happiness is not based on my happenings. It's not based on my circumstances. It means I've learned to enjoy whatever I've got right now, and I'm not waiting for something or someone to make me happy. Now, here's what Paul says in the next few verses, verse eleven twelve.
Speaker 3: He says, I've learned.
Speaker 2: I've learned to be content circle the word learned. Contentment is not natural. I'm about my nature content. You're not by nature content. You have to learn it, just like you have to unlearn worry and you have to learn happiness.
Speaker 3: You have to learn.
Speaker 2: Contentment something that we get educated on. I've learned to be content whatever the circumstances. He says, I know how to live on almost nothing. Or I know how to live with everything. And in the original Greek here he said, I know how to live in poverty, and I know how.
Speaker 3: To live in luxury. I know them both.
Speaker 2: I know how to be happy, and either in poverty or luxury and nothing or with everything, I've learned the secret of contentment in every situation, whether I'm well fed or hungry, or whether I have more than I need, or when I don't have enough. Now, he says, there, I have learned to be content. How do I learn contentment? Let me give you a couple of three ways. You might just write these down. They're not in your notes, so just write them down. The first way you learn contentment is this, stop comparing. Stop comparing. That's so important because the source of all discontent is comparison. I remember many, many years ago, when I was a little boy and got up on Christmas morning and my parents had given me the gift of my lifetime a stingray bicycle. Okay, with these butterfly handles, get your motor runing banana seats. I thought it was so cool, and I thought I was so cool until I saw my neighbor got a better one, and my happiness went out the door.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The Bible tells us over and over and over, it's foolish to compare yourself to anybody else.
Speaker 3: Why two reasons.
Speaker 2: One, you're always gonna find somebody who's doing a better job than you, and somebody who has more than you, and you're gonna get discouraged. Two you're always gonna find somebody you're doing a better job then, and you have more then, and you get full of pride. Either way, you're dead.
Speaker 3: In the water.
Speaker 2: God takes you out of the game and you sit on the sidelines for the rest of the game. Discouragement and pride are the two things that take you, knock you.
Speaker 3: Out of life. So he says, don't do that. God says, I called you to be you. I made you to be you. If you don't be you, who's gonna be you?
Speaker 2: When you get to having God is gonna say, why weren't you more like your sister? Or why weren't you more like your mom or your dad?
Speaker 3: Or what? God didn't why didn't you be you? I made you to be you.
Speaker 2: Most of us start off as originals and end up as carbon copies. God never makes copies of anything.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Two snowflakes are like two human beings are like. You have a unique thumb print, handprint, voice print, footprint, ieprint.
Speaker 3: You are unique.
Speaker 2: Even even identical twins aren't really identical. They're different in millions of ways. God never makes a repeat. God man makes clones. God never makes clones. When God made you, he broke the mold. God wants you to be you. And if you don't be you, who's going to be you? And so he says, stop comparing. And when you because when you compare, you get jealous and you get envious. Now the Bible says this, look at this verse on your outline. Peace of mind makes the body healthy. But envy is like a cancer. In other words, it.
Speaker 3: Eats you up. It will eat you alive if you get envious.
Speaker 2: Now that phrase peace of mind makes the body healthy. Phrase that word peace of mind. Actually another translation is the word contentment. Contentment makes the body healthy. So stop comparing. Here's a second tip for learning contentment. Stop thinking that having more is better. You see, there are three myths that we're taught by advertising in society. Having more will make me more happy. Having more will make me more important. Having more will make me more secure. None of those are true. They're all lies. Having more will not make you more happy, having more will not make you more valuable, and having more will not make you more secure. In the first place, you can lose it all. You can use billions. You can lose a billion dollars in a lot of ways. And your value is not based on your valuables, and your net worth is not based on your self worth is not based on your net worth. It's based on who you are, not what you own. So stop thinking that having more will make me more happy, having more will make me more important, having more will make me more secure.
Speaker 3: None of those are true.
Speaker 2: You need to find your security in something that can never be taken from you.
Speaker 3: Well, I can't.
Speaker 2: If I put my security in my job, it can be taken from me. If I put security in my bank account, I can lose that. If I put my security in my health, I can lose that. Or my good looks I can lose that. It has to put security and something can't be taken from me, and that is my relationship to God. I'll never forget Victor Frankel standing in a death camp. If you've never read his book, A Man Search For mes terrific book.
Speaker 3: And he says, you know.
Speaker 2: They stripped me naked, they took away everything, including my wedding ring. And then he said, I realized that there was one thing that could never be taken away from me, my ability to choose my response. You cannot control everything that happens in your life, but you can choose how you respond.
Speaker 3: That's your freedom.
Speaker 2: Now here's what the Bible says, Ecclesiastes chapter four.
Speaker 3: It's better to.
Speaker 2: Only have a little with peace of mind than to be busy all the time with both hands trying to catch the wind. That's what I call the saddleback center. We go out and we buy things we can't afford with money, we don't have to impress people we don't even like, and then we get in debt. We have to become workaholics to pay for all the things we've bought. And if you own something and God told you to give it away, you don't own it, it owns you. A lot of people are possessed by their possessions. There's nothing wrong with possessions, nothing wrong with them. But unless you make it your God, and you cannot be possessed by your possessions. And he said, you know, if your whole life is trying to work harder to pay for stuff, he says, you're missing the point. A third thing, and I'll end with this is learn to learn to admire without having to acquire. I've found this personally fun for me. Learn to admire without having to acquire. In other words, I have learned that I don't have to own it in order to enjoy it. The fact is, with ownership, ownership's a lot.
Speaker 3: Of pain a lot of the times.
Speaker 2: I mean, you got to insure it, you gotta maintain it, you gotta store it, you gotta haul it. I mean, let me give you an example. My family and my kids and my grandkids, we like the jet ski and we like to go down to Mission Bay in San Diego particularly and jet ski we've done on several vacations, will go jet skiing. And because we've done this a lot as a family, I've offered thought, well, maybe I should go buy some jet skis.
Speaker 3: And then why in the world would I do that?
Speaker 2: I mean, then I got to insure it, Then I gotta maintain it, then I gotta store it, then I gotta haul it back and forth. You know, if it's just down there. I go down there and use it, rent it for an hour or two. I'm gonna give you a true confession. I know it's gonna shock you. I have never spent one hour of my life scraping barnacles off.
Speaker 3: My boat because I don't know one.
Speaker 2: I just use yours. You gotta lodge it aspen. I'll jump up and down on your bed. You can ensure it, maintain it, and store and haul it and all. Learn to admire without having to acquire. Learn that I don't have to own it to enjoy it. That's part of contentment. Now, these five strategies that I've just meaned, they're very easy for me to explain, but they're very hard to do. It's not easy to worry about nothing. It's not easy to pray about everything. It's not easy to thank God in everything. It's not easy to think about good things, and it's not easy to be content with anything. So where in the world am I going to get the energy to do these things that reduce the stress in my life?
Speaker 3: God says this, You come to me.
Speaker 2: You come to me, and I will give you the power and the ability to do what will help you do what is best for you. Paul ends this passage with verse thirteen. One of the most famous verses in the Bible is verse thirteen. I have the strength to face anything and everything by the.
Speaker 3: Power that Christ gives me.
Speaker 2: I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. I can worry about nothing when Christ strengthens me. I can pray about everything when Christ strengthens me. I can thank God in everything and all things when Christ strengthens me. I can keep my mind on the right thing when God strengthens me. And I can be content with anything when Christ strengthens me. What we're talking here is not about a religon religion, about a relationship. You may be Buddhist, you may be a Baptist. You may be a Catholic or Protestant, or Jewish, mean, Muslim, or Mormon, or no religion at all. God has never made a person he doesn't love. God has never made a person he didn't die for. God has never made a person he doesn't have a purpose for. And he says, if you'll come to me, I will help you. I'm going to close with this last verse joke twenty two. Verse twenty one says this obey God and be at peace with him. This is the way to happiness. You see, the real reason you're not at peace is because you're at war with God. And until you make your peace with God, that's what the Bible says God sent Jesus to do, is to make peace with God for us. When you make peace with God, then you get the peace of God, and then you can have peace with others. They're not gonna be peace in the world till the Prince of is reigning in our hearts. So in order for you to have the peace of God, you have to first have the peace with God. And let's close of that. Let's bow our heads. Would you bow your heads with me? And I'm going to lead you in a prayer. My blessing on you this week is Romans fifteen thirty three. It says, I pray that God, who gives peace, will be with you. So would you pray this simple prayer. It doesn't really matter what your words you say. If you just say, as I say this, you say me to God, me too, say Dear God, I don't really want to be stressed out. I want to learn the habits of happiness. And you have promised that if I do these things, I will experience your peace.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to hold you at your word. Now.
Speaker 2: I don't have the strength to do these, so Jesus Christ, I need you to give me that strength. Help me to worry about nothing. To remember it's unreasonable and unnatural and unhelpful and unnecessary.
Speaker 3: You're gonna take care of me. Dear God.
Speaker 2: Help me to worry about nothing. And Dear God, help me to pray about everything instead of talking to myself, to talk to you. Help me to thank God in all things. Help me to think about the good things. And God, I ask you to help me to be content with anything. God, I want to have peace with you so I can have the peace of God.
Speaker 3: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: I don't understand it all, but as much as I know how I say yes to you. I don't want a religion. I want a relationship. I just want to get to know you. So I opened my heart and as humbly God, I say, make yourself real to.
Speaker 3: Me, and I pray this in your name. Amen.
Speaker 2: Hi, everybody, this is Rick and I hope you enjoyed today's broadcast. You know, if you just prayed that prayer for the very first time or you just recommitted your life to Jesus again today, would you let me know about it. There's something real about sharing your commitment. So write me Rick at Pastorrick dot com and say, Rick, I prayed that prayer of commitment, I gave my life to Christ. And I'll send you some material that will help you on your journey with Jesus. And I'll also pray for you. God bless you.
Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. Now, if you've missed any part of this message, or you'd like to find out more about Pastor Rick Warren in this ministry, just visit Pastorick dot com where you can listen online anytime. That's Pastor Rick with two rs inthemiddle dot com. Be sure to sign up for Rick's free daily email devotional while you're there. Right now, we have some really exciting news. Generous friends of Daily Hope have offered a fifty thousand dollars matching grant. That means whatever amount you give to help share the hope of Jesus worldwide will be matched up to fifty thousand dollars. So twenty five dollars becomes fifty one hundred becomes two hundred and five hundred becomes one thousand dollars. Whatever amount you give will be doubled by the grant. But don't wait, because this opportunity will be gone at the end of this month, and we'll miss out on any amount leftover from the grant if not matched. Here's rick to tell you more.
Speaker 2: Jesus told his disciples that they should live their lives according to five specific purposes. He said, you've got to love God with all your heart. That's worship. And love your neighbors yourself. That's ministry. That's called the Great Commandment. And then Jesus said, go make disciples. That's evangelism. Baptize them into the Family of God. That's fellowship, a sign of fellowship. And then he said, teach them obey everything I've taught you. That's discipleship. And we call that the Great Commission. We believe it daily hope that a great commitment to the Great Commandment and the Great Commission will produce a great Christian, a great church, a great company, a great community. You know, I started daily hope so I could spread the good news about Jesus, not just across America, but all around the world. And we want people to know that God's word is filled with hope and truth and the power that we need to follow Him every day is available to every single one. You know as well as I do, that the Word of God changes lives. It's a live it's active, and it bringes new life and new love into all of our lives. So wherever you listen to this, whether you listen on the website, whether you listen on a radio station, or whether you listen to a podcast, you're a part of the Daily Hope family and I need your help. We could not do this without your support. Now, you know, I don't take any funds from this broadcast. We don't have any giant million dollar donor who's giving big gifts to this. It comes from daily donations from listeners like you. We're one hundred percent listener funded. Would you continue to pray for this broadcast and would you continue to support us and let it Write to me, let me hear from you. I absolutely love reading the stories that are sent to me. So write me, pray for me and support this ministry, and God will bless it, and God will bless you, and we'll get to heaven and we'll thank God for all the people going to be in heaven because you cared.
Speaker 1: When you give to Daily Hope, you're helping share the hope of Jesus with people everywhere and right now. Your gift will be doubled by the fifty thousand dollars matching grant. Call eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four, or you can visit pastorick dot com and will send you the Habits of Happiness scripture cards to say thanks again. That's eight hundred six hundred five thousand and four or pastorick dot com. There's only three days left to have your gift match, so don't wait. Be sure to join us again next time as we look into God's word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Daily Hope Ministries and your generous financial support