Speaker 1: Warrington kept up there, winning run. It's been a while. I'm going to start that again because I had the handover it. Warrington kept up there, winning run. It's been a while since Wigan one whole k are are picking up some pace. Cass and the Dragons lost a bit of face. Bradford are in that basket too. Lee and John are here to update you. Welcome to the nineteenth episode of Super League three sixty, a podcast primarily about the top tier of British rugby league.
Speaker 2: My name is Lee Addison and my name is John Davidson.
Speaker 1: John's in England is a journalist, but as you can tell by that a very strange accent, is an Australian and believe it or not, with my accent, i am in Australia. Please read previous descriptions and sorry the description of this podcast and listen to pass pods for more detail. I'm a coach over here. This podcast is being aired on the Ashy Rugby League Rugby League Coach podcast platforms, as well as a Rugby League Coach YouTube too, so if you subscribe to those you won't miss a thing. Also Rugby League dot Com. What's your Rugby league consumption been like this weekend.
Speaker 3: John watched the Thursday night game closely, well I watched I mean I know I watched it. I can't remember what it was. But the Thursday morning, well sorry Thursday night in our old game. Watched the Sharks, Cowboys and Yes and mainly Para and watched a lot of highlights of the other super League games because I was out and about so having a social life.
Speaker 2: How dare you?
Speaker 1: The Super League table after round nine Leeds Rhinos are top with fourteen points, but they're level on points with St. Helen's who are in second. Warrington are in third with twelve twelve, Wakefield Trinity in fourth and level one points with them with twelve. Holking some Rovers have climbed into the top six now they are fifth with ten points, and Wigan have slid to sixth on ten points and Catalans are also level with them with seven points in their bank. Hull Left c are in eighth with eight points, Lee Leopard's ninth with eight points. York Bradford are both on six points as our Castle for Tigers in tenth, eleventh and twelve respectfully, thirteenth respectively, sorry thirteenth. Huersfield Giants on four fourteenth to lose on four holding everybody up. I think the big news last week John was the England coaching job, and we'll get to that, but before we get to that, we're going to talk about a few different things. So Lee's laugh. This week is another interim see all of the rugby foot Wall League. What the hell are they doing? How many interims do they need before they what's going on there?
Speaker 3: Well, they had what Tony Saton left September October, then they appointed Avuakoku interim CEO till well March April. I don't think there was really any job available as in advertised. They just Cucko who was on the Strategic Niger Woods do Strategic Review group.
Speaker 2: And Roder Jones.
Speaker 3: Obviously he is the managing director of Rugby League Commercial, which is the commercial arm of British rugby Leaf shall we say so they've been advertising for that job, and I know obviously Tony Mestrov's been a name has been put out, but they don't seem to have for some reason made a decision and they've just made Rogery interim. So yeah, it's I mean, I don't really know how much we can say about the governments of.
Speaker 2: The game in the UK. You know what, I'm not sure if you saw it.
Speaker 3: I know I posted it on my Instagram, but James Graham's comments about the NRL talks with Super League and Andrew as visit and you know, the governance in the UK. He was just calling it an absolute joke and it's hard to argue with him when you when you've got Super League, you've got the RFL, you've got Rugby League commercial, you've got all these different boards, a lot of the same people sitting on the same boards, but it's quite just quite a convoluted structure. And then you've also got the RFL Council. So yeah, convoluted is certainly one way to put it. Tweet of the Week was for Allan Smith. What an awful headline but goes with your agenda of talking the game down at any opportunity. And the person is talking about he's our man, John David. What was all that about?
Speaker 2: John?
Speaker 3: That was about my my the follow up my latest story in North Wales. I think the headline, I mean, just for people who don't work in the media and have never worked in the media. Journalists well, traditionally journalists never write headlines.
Speaker 1: You never suggest them, like when you're sending you things, yes you do, yeah, yeah, yeah, And when I say never, I've got to quantify that. So obviously that that story was for a national newspaper that I freelance sports, so I didn't write that headline from my own patreon, I do write the headlines because you're editing and writing, and you know it's a mascot.
Speaker 3: But I didn't write that headline. Generally that sub editors or sports editors copy editors. So yeah, I appreciate Alan's support on that one, but I didn't write the headline.
Speaker 1: And he also said, maybe speak to somebody at Wales Rugby League and they will tell you of all the teams at community level and the work being done at grassroots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I understand where he's coming from. And that bit in the sense that the headline was something like, you know, rugby league on the brink of extinction in Wales or whatever. Now that was talking about professional game. So North Wales Crusaders, they're in the championship, they're on the brink of going bust. South Wales, I mean sorry, South Wales. West Wales they did rebrand numerous times. I think it was West Wales they died off in twenty twenty two. I think it was for twenty three. Isn't another professional club in Wales Wales didn't qualify for the World Cup that's on this year, you could say Welsh rugby League. Well, while there is no doubt doing some great work in the amateur game, in the community game, and the women's games growing a bit, the actual professional game is non existent. Yes, And I think with Wales rugby League, with their change in the national team, you know as in didn't make the World Cup, John Key left, they're actually I think some of their players actually came out a while ago and said they're not paying their players to actually pay either play for the country, which a lot of people be like, oh, you shouldn't have to, you shouldn't get paid to play for your country. But that's just a way of modern professional sport. So yeah, the game's not in a great way there. And Alan is an absolute fruit loop for just suggesting. And he's also a fruit loop for suggesting that I haven't like my gender is talking the game down, Like I mean, I was tempted to send Alan all the recent tweets and stories that I've said about great tries and great moments and entertaining things. Or I could bore him with all the sacrifices and things that I've done, you know, whether it be unpaid or or things that I've done because I love the sport. But yeah, I don't want to bore Alan too much. He sounds like a tender, tender soul.
Speaker 1: I've also decided that that's Johnny's jab because I knew what you kind of response to that would be another Rugby League tweet of the week has only just come through really, and there's a few people tweeted this, but I've gone with Michael carry Arnis about West Tiger's captain Jerome Loue Eye meeting with chiefs officials and P and G. Now we are Super League three sixty, but we do talk about the m r L two and I thought that'd be quite pertinent, seen as it's quite fresh, fresh in the news cycle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I spotted that this morning. You can look at a number of different ways. If you're a Tigers fan, you're pissed off because they're absolutely flying at the moment. They're having the best season in ages, and you know, you don't want one of your best players, you know, linked with another club and he's got these weird get out causes, hasn't he that he can activate. If you're a P G Chiefs supporter or from BEng you're probably loving it because you know, if you if they get a big name, a big star name, that's going to attract atherstar names to join. And he's probably gone over there. It's on the break for a bit of a holiday, but also to have a look around and see what they're doing. And I'm sure they've pitched him hard and it's to their benefit to kind of that out in the media and get people talking about it.
Speaker 1: You've mentioned the word holiday. I don't think you go to P and G for a holiday.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I think I think it's probably fair though, if you're a player and you want to, you're interested in signing, you're considering sign you probably would. If you've never been to the country, you would want to go and check it out, wouldn't you. Because there's a lot of stereotypes about P and G, a lot of opinions. I've never been there, so I can't really you know, I can look at the statistics and say it's got the I don't know whatever it is the sixth highest murder rate or whatever.
Speaker 2: You know. Obviously statistics can be used.
Speaker 3: But the country's got you know, I think it's fair to say it's the third world country, isn't it. Yeah, so yeah, it's It is an interesting one because I think didn't Leu White say the other week that he played reserve grade for for job Man to you know, job man. So that's also an interesting comment.
Speaker 1: John's tweet of the week You can tweet him at Johnny D. Davidson. One from two days ago. Oo, wow, I think it is shades of g I and G Gasnier. Who was this that was? That was actually well, I think I think we did that in afternoon.
Speaker 2: That was the.
Speaker 3: I think actually no, it was either. I think it was Jesse d. So basically the ball was going out and he had to to to lose players chasing and he just popped it back in field to Galiano. I think the score and yeah, I like that two thousand and eight Ensact test try that Joe I whacked the ball back.
Speaker 2: In the gas and as he was going out. It was a great bit of skill.
Speaker 1: England have a new coach Brian McDermott. I personally I'm pleased with that, but I thought that was the fair choice. What do you think, John, Yeah, look, I think it's an interesting choice.
Speaker 3: I think he's without that a good coach, had success, a lot of success in Super League. I think it's interesting what he said in his first press are his first you know, we can win the World Cup.
Speaker 2: He had a bit of a shot at Sean Wayne.
Speaker 3: Didn't he about about jingoism at thought that was interesting and his joke Connor comments, Look, it seems like to him he's, you know, it's going to be a fresh and open book. I guess, you know, in the sense that he's gonna he's not going to go in there with any preconceived conceptions about players. He's going to pick on form and he's going to give everyone a chance. So yeah, I think it's probably a bit of fresh air. The other component I think we'll probably talk about is George Williams injury, which puts him in doubt because I think I think he said George Williams will be my captain for the World Cup, and he is injured, it might not play in the World Cup.
Speaker 1: So let me let me talk about his dig at Wayne first, like, yeah, I don't think there was any point in him having a dig.
Speaker 2: I don't see what the benefit was there.
Speaker 1: I think he could have made his point without having a dig at the previous coach. He could have just said Jake Connor is totally in my thoughts and whatever has happened before is in the past. And instead it was a bit of a veiled dig And you know, I know, I know he's a very tough man, Brian McDermott, But yeah, I just don't I don't think there's I didn't think that was needed. But hey ho, in terms of their halves, you've got a question here, who captains England and who are their halves? Well, I would have thought now the obvious ones are Mikey Lewis at six and Jake Connor at seven based on what we've seen in Super League, of course, though mcderbot has also thrown the door open for anybody who qualifies in Australia, so if there's any maybe maybe there's a half back with an English granddad somewhere that that's playing or running around in the NRL, or who knows, maybe in the Queensland Cup.
Speaker 2: Or the new South Wales Cup. Who knows. So I don't think that'll be picked him from reserve grade.
Speaker 1: Well, there's enough first grade players in England that have played in reserve grade. So and George Williams is injury too, I mean, how serious is that mate?
Speaker 2: It looks yeah, it looks very bad.
Speaker 3: I mean I think there's there's fears that he won't play again this season.
Speaker 2: Wow, there's a neck injury, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I think obviously if he's got to go under the knife, you just don't know Harry recovers. The interesting thing is that he's actually been in a great form this year here. I mean last year terrible season, wasn't great the Ashes, but he's actually been in really good form. So it's it's really sad for George, for Warrington and yeah, I mean I think it does open the door again once more for for Jake Connor. And Harry Smith is injured at the moment, probably not been sending the world on fire. Obviously, different sort of player to Jake Connor, different sort of half back. So yeah, I think if you're picking, if you're if you're the World Cup was nowt week and you're picking your England squad, you'd have Connor and Lewis. Lewis's on you know, it's on absolute fire. I think hat trick against Bradford yesterday set up another try for maybe with a great kick, So yeah, you'd have those two jobs there doing.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean we can win it. Comment what did you make of that? Way? Do you mean a game or you're the you're the patriotic Englishman? Even Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, I mean again, I mean you're damned if you do, and you damned if you don't. I mean, if he was asked some question, yeah, then you're not going to say no. I mean I've criticized shame Flangan enough for saying no, we can't win the premiership.
Speaker 2: So you know, but.
Speaker 1: England meg winning a World Cup. England went in the World Cup. But as a coach and I expect the coach to think they will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I think I agree with you.
Speaker 3: I think the Flannagan thing, you know we can't win the comp down immediately sublilably just says well, you know, why are we even bothering?
Speaker 2: So I think I think I think you're right.
Speaker 3: You've got to go out and say, look, we can win it, you know, but I think i'd like to hear from him. You talked about having a specific plan. You know, we don't know what that plan is, you you know. And also just to sort of say, okay, why hasn't you know England won anything for fifty five years?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: And I know that's not an easy question to answer that, it'd be interesting to get his insight or why he thinks that that England hasn't and probably hasn't really been in many finals or winning positions for quite some time either by twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean it's a couple of big games. Well it's two big games against Tonga and P and G. Really, I think they'll get to the semifinals and they play Australia on New Zealand, you know, and then they win one of those games and that's massive success. But I think even getting the semifinals was probably, you know, in some ways of success when you look at well, there's no quarter final this time, is there? No? Y?
Speaker 3: Yeah, three games it's I think it's France, Tong Hour and P and G. Whether it's in that order or I'm not sure, but yeah, I think I think they've got to get to the semi finals and then you know, if they can get to the final, or you know, if they win the whole thing, then you know, Sir Brian McDermott definitely without a doubt.
Speaker 2: What was the press unveiling? Was it a zoom thing? It was a zoom thing?
Speaker 3: Mad because obviously he's on the Gold Coast, is the assistant coach at the times?
Speaker 1: I wasn't on the What was it?
Speaker 3: It was about ten o'clock on Thursday. They announced it on AM, Yes, am, so it would have it would have been one am for him. No, no, no, no, ten am sorry ten am UK time? So what's that seven am Australian time? No, yeah, because you're at.
Speaker 1: One am ten pm? Was it ten pm? Ten am u K ten a m u K is one am in the morning here.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's that many.
Speaker 1: I'm going no, sorry, sorry forget all that. I've only lived here twenty years. I'm going, I'm getting your night seven seven pm here, seven pm here.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to the tremendous airing job that you're going to make. No, no, no, I'm going to keep it in.
Speaker 1: I'm going to keep it in the especially because we the other week you were criticizing the Sky commentators for getting names wrong, the amount of things you and I get wrong sometimes, especially me sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they did it on Zoom at seven pm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which was fine once in George's day. I think specifically because it's the England coaching job. But it is funny because these things like it was linked out four or five days before. It's like big unveiling, big confirmation. Yeah, look at the I think Chris frad I didn't realize this at first, but Chris Radlynsky was on the panel as well, which is interesting. Field would and Sarah Symington, who I think has a hockey and athletics background. But yeah, it's a short term appointment, so it's kind of I guess, see what you can do with the World Cup and then we'll reassess. And I think if you McDermott, you you'd want you know. And he said this, he wants a longer term appointment. He wants you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've lost the game. Four Super League games on the bounce, four losses in five games. I mean, do we use the C word crisis, I'm not sure. I mean they're missing they're missing their two halves. But I think check Wordle was back for the Warrington game. It's a tough one and they're not playing well. You know, the lot the results show that, and there've been some really poor performances, like the hardest feel game in that was you know, they were dire. The cast of the game, they were very dire, and I think looking at the Warrington game that Warrington are a good team in great form. The worrying thing for me was some of the lion speed and the contact defense. Two of the tries, particularly the first one three looks like you've just got gy Field not coming off the line and Gryfield has never been the world's greatest defending fullback, but you've got to make a bit more effort now their attack's not really throwing any punches. So yeah, it's a weird one.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: I don't know if crisis is fair, but there are obviously a lot of people, a lot of Wigan fans who are not happy writing them off.
Speaker 1: I think in isolation, so forget the other fixtures. I think Wigan losing at Warrington is not that shocker result. You know, that's happened plenty of times before. What hasn't happened a lot though before is previously Castleford winning at Wigan, especially when their bottom two in the Super Lic Ladder, the way they lost the Good Friday Derby after being in control for most of the game and then falling asleep from the last ten, and then a pretty significant sizeable defeat against Huddersfield on the twenty eighth of March and at home as well, And do you remember we did after the hoot and I said there was some warning signs there for wigged on the Thursday, the nineteenth of March, when they only scraped home against York. So we're talking since the middle of March basically, and we're going to be in May very soon. So this isn't This isn't something that's just happened overnight. This is now baked in, I think, And you do have to worry, I think, and.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 1: We're gonna so used to success and demanding success. They play Bradford at home on Saturday, and I'm very sure they'll win that because Bradford are so depleted. And then on Saturday, the ninth of May, they've got Saint Helen's and the Cup. That's a huge game. If they were to lose that, then I think there might be some serious questions asked in that joint, if they aren't being asked already. I know what Maurice Lindsay would have done for losses on the Trot. Put it that way, Oh, the coach would have been gone by now two years.
Speaker 2: Even if you'd won, even if you Okay.
Speaker 1: Frank Kencott made the Grand Final of the year before and got sat. I think he'd lost two games on the Trots or something like that, three games on the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: It is a puzzling one because, uh, they're that Wakefield game, you know that was that was a hell of a game, and you know they came out on top.
Speaker 2: But I don't think they played badly in that game.
Speaker 3: And you're right, the good the Easter game, the Sinnalance game. I still don't really know how they lost that, and I think that that really killed a lot of confidence in them, because they do seem to get up for I mean, at least lately the bigger teams, the bigger games. But yeah, there will definitely be some some hard questions asked internally. I think I think, you know, missing a couple of players is you know, is having an impact and I think also I think forward wise, their pack is probably not. You know, they lost lin Byrne, they lost Harvey Hill. I think because of their salary cap that haven't really been able to recruit. Well, I tell a lot they brought in. I think it was Oliver Wilson from Huddersfield and then he did his a cl and Brew season, so we won't play this season. So I think their pack is a little bit limited, and I think that's because of the way their cap is and the fact that Miski hasn't played all season, So then you've got who's been on fire, but you've had him on the wing when he's really a center or pill black. Yeah, I think they're managing a few things and it's not really work for them. So there's book There' still plenty of time in the season for them to turn around. But you're you are right, that's in hell's game, that cup game. You know, you get to a Challenge Cup final, you think, well, we're not doing.
Speaker 2: Too bad our way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's what's the dynamic between Matty Pete and Sean Wayne? Like, I mean, I do think when they first was appointed. It was a mental type position where yeah, but I mean, is is Matty Pte unmantorable now in the in terms of the fact that he succeeded so well or what what's the dynamics there?
Speaker 3: I know, I know when they started off, as in when when Pete was a young coach, he came in under under Wayne, as in you know, in the academy and Wayne was head coach, and you know, he learned a lot of him. I know he said on a on another podcast once that you know, he's three main influencers, you know, one of them was right Lynsky, the other one was Sean Wayne. And I know it was described to me when he, you know, a couple of years ago when he got the head coach job, that he was a Sewan Wayne clone. Now I think he's a very different individual and different philosophy to to Sean Wayne. But yeah, I think I think I do have a good relationship and a strong relationship. And I know, I know around East of time there was some while that someone told me it was some wild speculation that Okay, we're going to look at Maddy Pete as the and I just, yeah, I think that's completely unbelievable because Pete is you know, Wiganbowne and Bred come through the coaching ranks, you know, a close relationship with the CEO and you know works he honor six, seven, eight year contract or whatever. Now that doesn't mean you can't be moved on, but you know, obviously that's not happening at this point. I couldn't see that happening.
Speaker 1: I also think as well that it would be human and only human for people to doubt. And you know, I respect Sean Wayne, but obviously his to be to be a Sean Wayne prodigy after what happened in the Ashes has taken a bit of a hit as well because of the style of football that was played, and a serious analysis of that football suggests that England were playing an old fashioned style of football that isn't in volgue anymore on the other side of the world where the game is so strong. So maybe maybe we've seen a little bit of a crisis of confidence too, because one thing I did notice is when they were winning the games is how much it was based on attrition. Even though they had those exciting talents at their disposal at the time, there was still very much building pressure being very patient, quite safety first actually, which which is a little bit shorn wayni ish, and I hope I'm saying that with respect to Matt Pete and Sean Wayne there So anyhow, definitely some questions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do think they've played slightly different styles and I think and the Pete they have been a bit more free flowing, and particularly with Field and French. I think part of at the moment is because of that Solary Carat pressure, they've had to let a few players go. They've got the next brood of young players coming through, but I think probably some of them aren't ready to be playing week in week out, So they're not in a rebuilding phase by any means, but I think they're in kind of a mini partnery building. And you know, there is quite a few older players in that scene. If you look at what Leam Farrell like, he's been playing superlut for what five thousand years?
Speaker 2: You know, is his last year? You know?
Speaker 3: Is he you know, one of those players that maybe needs to you know, they need to. I don't want to say move on, because he's been a fantastic service the club, but maybe this is his last year, you know. And then there's there's a few others. Obviously, I'm not sure how old French and Field are. I'm presuming they're around the thirty mark.
Speaker 2: Thirty year old mark. You assume you're talking about Bevan French, not Ray French.
Speaker 3: Yes, and then Miski is obviously another one serious injuries, you know, injury problems. So yeah, maybe there's you know, they're looking at for next year to you know, some some bigger recruitment or some cap space.
Speaker 1: And talking tactically again too, John, if you look at the way the NRL in particular is going, one of the biggest wrestling teams in rugby league history has been the Melbourne Storm. The way the roots are being sped up, I mean people are pointing at that and saying, well, they can't wrestle as much anymore, and you can't. Ryles was an apprentice of that Storm system and his defense has been has been touch and go to say the least. And then of course Sean Wayne was a disciple of Madge McGuire who who was very heavy on the wrestle and his protege Matt Pete, and that things have changed a little bit there in terms of the rules. And then I'm going back to Australia, Madge McGuire. Yes he was a big wrestling coach, but won a premiership last year because he had some damn good footballers who could score more than the opposition regardless of how many of the opposition could score and he was smart enough and had the emotional and mental bandwidth to be able to adjust to that too. So maybe this is what Matty Pete needs to start thinking about too. I'm just throwing it out there. Sheffield Eagles. So we're going down a division now and not so long ago it would have been two divisions down. But Sheffield Eagles a moving stadium where they're moving from john where they're moving to and why are the funds complaining?
Speaker 2: Well, the long stories.
Speaker 3: The long story is that they had don Valley Stadium as the home of the Eagles for a long long time and then or I'm going to say ten years or so ago, maybe a little bit longer, that was torn down with the prospect of this new stadium being built, Olympic Legacy Park in Attacliffe. Now, that took a lot longer and Sheffield Eagles went on no manic existence where they played in Doncaster, they played in rather they played in Wakefield. They played all over Bloody Yorkshire. Eventually Olympic Legacy got part got built by the former owner of Sheffield United, but it's effectively one stand and look it's a pretty crap venue. I've been there a few times and I think Sheffield Eagles crowds are something like about five hundred now, which obviously they were more than that in the past, probably more around the fifteen hundred two thousand mark, at least in their heyday in the twenty eleven twenty twelve season where I think they won back to background finals. Now, their owner Jeremy and Lovine, also owned Sheffield FC, which has legitimate claims have been the oldest soccer club in the worldly. Your favorite sport the round ball game, so he also owns Sheffield FC. Now they play in Dronfield, which is actually North Derbyshire, so it is technically a different county, but it's not far from Sheffield. But the issue is I think there's a few I'm not and I've been past it, but I think there's a few issues. That there's no great public transport there. I think there's like one bus every hour or two hours. There's apparently a lot of bush or woodland behind it, so you're going to kick the ball out and go and spend an hour trying.
Speaker 2: To find your ball.
Speaker 3: Take ten instead of Yeah, it's not gone down well with the Eagles fans. The move basically what a couple of years ago, what Sheffield Eagles announced or their owner announced they wanted to build a new stadium in another part of Sheffield and dull share it with Sheffield FC, and the Council's just kind.
Speaker 2: Of said, nah, that's not happening. So that's kind of been three years to sit there.
Speaker 3: I did a story a couple of months ago. They are looking at another site on Woodburn Road, which is near Olympic Legacy Park in central Sheffield, but nothing's really happened to the mat so this is a sort of another move. So Sheffield Eagles are a weird club in my experience having lived in Sheffield for a long time. There's a lot of good people at the club, but they're not very transparent the club. You know, they don't really deal much with media. They get next to no media coverage in Sheffield from the local paper or the local rate. Yeah and yeah, I think I think it's a club and a city with a lot of potential, but it's not really being maximized. And then we've had kind of the Mark Aston saga for the last sixteen months or so, which has been very toxic for the club, shall we say, because.
Speaker 2: His talk a little bit about that later, I think because a question. Yeah, I mean, I don't really know.
Speaker 3: There's a lot we can say in the fact that obviously there was a massive case about concussion and the allegation that he played a player in a game that he knew was had failed a concussion test and was ineligible and then he got a massive ban. But I mean I read a lot about that case, and I think you know that he was very harshly dealt with. I don't think he was aware of that the player had failed the test, and it was actually a lot to do with the RFL's you know, terrible handling of the issue, and they tried to make him escape boat and he wasn't escape. But yeah, sort of the the fallout from that, as seen obviously Mark asked and make Aston left the club. His son, who was a player at the club, left to join Doncaster, and I think his daughter worked at the club and was also left, so that's caused a massive rift among the fan base as well.
Speaker 1: John, because you're a negative bastard. Let's talk about north Wales now so you can upset your talent. What's going on each week? When I ask the question and is north Wales still alive? The club not the area?
Speaker 2: Can we talk about you know four nil mainly Fosborne. I'll be very positive and happy. You have to go on NRL three sixty for that. Yeah, okay, yeah, north Wales so the lowest.
Speaker 3: As I wrote the other day, there's two groups bidding to take over the club, two separate groups. The Caroen owners are holding out. I think they want at least one hundred k for the club, even though they're in at least one hundred and fifty grand debt. So at the same point, because the players haven't been played, a huge number of them have left to sign for other clubs to Swinton, to Salford, to Hunslet. Halifax are looking to sign too, I believe a proper and a half back. So yeah, I mean I think North Wales they're not. There's probably a pulse, but they're almost like down on the table.
Speaker 1: And are they playing this weekend? Have they played.
Speaker 3: They don't have a game this weekend. They schedule the play next weekend. But I can't see how that game takes place. Their last game was canceled, that was a Cup game. I can't see how they Yeah, they survive. I think even that the groups that want to take them over, even they I think probably privately recognized that the club might have to go bust and go under and then for the debt to be wiped for, you know, and then restarted. But the whole kind of issue here, Lee, is that these owners, you know, I mean, I don't know if I can or should call them frauds or comment, but maybe.
Speaker 2: I just did.
Speaker 3: They were you know, approved as owners by the RFL in twenty twenty four, in the twenty twenty four so you just like fit and proper person's test, Lee, you know, suitability of ownership. Like you know, if Paul Pott, if Paul Pot tried to get a license off the RFL, I reckon, they'd probably approve him. You know, it's it's.
Speaker 1: Not good enough, no doubt, no doubt. The IRL Hall of Fame, what's this all about?
Speaker 3: So they're setting up basically a new Hall of fame for the international game. They're looking to do the first inductees, bringing to you together a panel.
Speaker 2: Of who should judge?
Speaker 3: I guess then I think they're going to do the probably the unveiling in the World Cup as in the first batch.
Speaker 2: Who would you question for you, Lee?
Speaker 3: Who would you have in if you are gonna pick I don't know, well, I could probably say three, but five are the best players of all time.
Speaker 1: Let's go five. I was gonna I was going to have to bring it up as a thing, let's pick five together. But I think what you have to do is look at the Golden Boot winners as your first start, your starting point. Okay, so this is yeah, So look at your Golden Boot winners and then maybe look at who maybe just missed out that year or whatnot. And I think that's I think that she is your short list right now. Right now, we've only got the the winners. So I'm going to list the winners and have you got a pen there or something like that or your phone just to type in? So your winners are Wally Lewis, Brett Kenny, Gary, Jack, Hugh McGann, Peter Sterling, Ellery, Hanley Malmninger, Gary Scholfield, Joey Johns, Brad Fittler, Joey Johns, Stacey Jones, Darren Lockier, Andy Farrell, Anthony Minichello, Darren Lockier, Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, Greg Ingliss, Benji Marshall, Jonathan Thurston, Kevin Sinfield, Jonathan First Thurston, Sean Johnson, Jonathan Thurston, Cooper Krank, Cameron Smith, Tommy Makinson, Roger two of Vasaschek, Joseph Marnoo, James Fisher, Harris as Ieo and Harry Grant.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I think we have a couple of that we can shortlist straight away, John in my In my case, Jonathan Thurston's won three, so we'll put him on our short list. Cameron Smith's one two, Darren Lockyer has won two, Joey John's has won two. So I think those four people are definitely on a short list, and I think they probably need an English one, so put Hillary Anley on. There's the Hall of Fame, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: The only problem with that lead is you're basically from that nineteen eighty four onwards, and you know the game has been played since ninety five, so I think we need to end You're looking at people like Neil Fox, Billy Boston, Clive.
Speaker 1: Sullivan, Johnny Raper, Yeah, Bob Fulton, Graham Lang One's yeah, there's so yeah, yeah, there's you know, the same you know for the Kiwi's you know, whether it be hum again.
Speaker 2: You know, James Lula Why people before that and French as well.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I look, I think it's a good I think we need something like a Hall of Fame. I think something that rugby league does in my opinion, and you may disagree. I don't think we celebrate our history in our past. And I know, I know I had this when I first moved to England. I didn't really know much about the history of the game over here because in Australia it's like the game started in nineteen o eight and we did this actually.
Speaker 1: Start No no, well no, no, no, no, the game started in nineteen ninety six in England. Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the other thing.
Speaker 3: The Alex Johnson record is fantastic, but it's not try score in rugby league history. That's Brian Bevan, you know, the Ausie who played for Warrington who scored Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you know, I think we've got to We've got to recognize history.
Speaker 1: Equally incorrect, right, I mean, there's so many ways we can go about that. And obviously you know there's a there's a medal named after Dally Messenger, who was the first ever tourist exactly. Yeah, you know, so there's there's so many, so many stories. And the other thing, there's so many ways they could do it too. They could they could maybe say the top ten nations they all have one inductee each, or he could say every nation, so you know, for example, Poland's would be somebody like Voi Check Shakowski who has played probably butchered his name, we just called him tech but he he's played through for Poland for a number of years at different levels and when Poland was traveling differently, and I think he was very much the heartbeat of Poland, and he'd have a very different story to Ellery Hanley or Joey John's. So yeah, there's so many positive things we can do with that, I think. So I quite like that story and maybe we should debate it in the future too, when we're probably lacking a bit of content if there's no games. We reviewed a couple of games at the weekend and we did that in after the hooter and then since then castle Ford played Hull left C the John cartrightless Hull left C Castle for ten we tries from Papa Langi or two tries from a Papalangi and a goal from Weaver left C fifty John Arthur Briscoe Litton scored two, Bailey, Martin Hardacre Custant Aiding scored the other tries. Hardacre got seven. They reacted to the departure of their coach with nine tries. And I've got to be honest, I actually put this as a topic. What you know, HAOLEFC winning so heavily was a real shock.
Speaker 2: I thought, oh, I know it was for me.
Speaker 3: I mean I think I in the tipping com by picked Cass coming off, you know, the great win over Wigan. Yeah, this is a was a really shot for me. Yeah, it's possibly sorry, you go, you go. I was just gonna say, a great early trifle of C and then Casco and man down for a head shot. And I can see two tries in that period when I had twelve men and then just completely filled the police is like some of the defensive efforts were so weak. Tom Deaver, so Tom Tom Weaver, the diva. Yeah, I mean he got really exposed. But you know there was a hall of sea. Were looked electric, some some great.
Speaker 1: I also think what was going to say, It's probably speaks to the bipolar nature of the castle for Tiger Side this year. Yes, it does, because one week they've been Gordon, the other week they've been very poor.
Speaker 3: The only Canada is Papalangi I think, who scored two tries in every game he plays. He's he's been brilliant by far cast as best player all season.
Speaker 1: But we should maybe called Cast the weathermen. We only get the only get the job right once a fortnite and still.
Speaker 2: We We can also address the Holo fans love of of you, well me and you, but I think particularly you after the last podcast. Yeah, they're big fans of you. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if I think we can address that later because somebody asked a question about fans, so we'll go to that, right. Warrington twenty three against the crisis hit hit Wigan six, who only scored one try through Eckersley and a goal from kir And. Warrington tries two to Tulit, two to Hoppowarti goals to Snade who scored three and also a drop goal. Warrington chugging along quite nicely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bounce back from that that defeating and Catalans for me, Albert, I mean, I don't know if you personally know John from your time at ME very very well, yeah, we're good friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean what that bloodline like that and it does doesn't get the credit for it, and you know, you know without can you imagine what Manly Seagulls would be like without the trevoyeviches and the Hopo artis.
Speaker 2: No, I don't want to be horrible world.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine what their junior development system would be like?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Honestly, you know sopole artist in particularly. I wrote about them in my book which is Rugby League Coach Hurting, Game Changing Conversations, Transform Your Coaching available Amazon and stuff from me. Yeah. Yeah, it's an amazing bloodline, absolutely amazing. And in the women's game too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, so John was for those who didn't seem play and would take the finger anticks out of it. Was a great player played for Australia player from you so well as one comps with mainly William was an absolute freak. You know in the NRL and Super League.
Speaker 1: I think I coached will when he was Manly and.
Speaker 2: Think Origin at eighteen, didn't he like he was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, old walk Warwick Bullmer who leads the song in the dressing room for Mamly. He said, he right in front of me and I can still picture his face in my mind's eye. He looked at William play. He said that he's the best I've seen since Fitler. When he was a kid, William Homer, I think he was on.
Speaker 3: Might have this a little bit wrong, but he was on something like three hundred grand as a sixteen year old, because that's how good he was rated as well.
Speaker 1: I was coaching him at the time, so he he's much. I didn't say that he went to play SG ball as soon as he finished with the under sixteens. He went to play under eighteens. With his first touch he scored a length of the field try, and his third touch I think he scored a length of the field try. And then he was in under twenties as soon as he was able to be. And he was about six days older than Brad Fitler when it came to play in Origin. And then he went on a Mormon mission, and I said to him that he's probably his greatest achievement was how he came back after that Mormon mission, So for two years not even allowed to train. Yeah, and you did, you did say they did sort of allow him to do a little bit. But I'm pretty convinced it wouldn't have been as tough as what Dead has A would have given him. And for him to hold a solid, very very solid professional career, he never let anybody down and played a thing close to two hundred games, I think something like that, so really good, really good.
Speaker 3: And then and then you've got Jamil who was a massive talent, played in the or the Broncos, but obviously off the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and had Jamal in my team's too. Yeah, I know he I.
Speaker 3: Know some people who taught him at Santa Gastin's And yeah, I think I think it was attitude, wasn't it?
Speaker 2: That was the problem. But he had the talent.
Speaker 3: And then you've got you've got Lehi who's killing it it mainly now, and then Albert Hoppawadi, who, to be honest, I've not heard that much of it, but I think he went through three a c ls most recently so was that mainly went to camera. He's only young. I think he's only twenty three, twenty four. And then Warrington have taken a pun on an issue and he's been great for Warrenton, like he that tries scored against Wigan.
Speaker 2: He scored two on Friday night. But he's been a great, great signing.
Speaker 3: So yeah, just and then obviously there's the daughter or the sister who plays for the Roosters, I think in the w so that I don't think there's another rugby league family with that many, and I.
Speaker 1: Don't think you've listed them all in terms of cousins and everything else.
Speaker 3: Well no, I was going to say there's a couple of uncles and cousins in there as well, but just that that immediate family union.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: Leeds forty six Catalans four Leeds tries, Handy SIV only scored one. We need to check on him. Hall scored two, Levi, Jenkins, Croft and McDonald seven goals to Jake Connor, the New England half Catalans every week this Darryl at All scored a try for them, just to make it hard for me to pronounce Catalans well, talk about bipolar talk about weather men.
Speaker 2: There they are.
Speaker 3: They are literally great one week and terrible the next. And this is very very soft opening trifle Leads and then it kicked up and there's a tap back which is a walkover for Civo and then some lovely, lovely passing from Jake Connor, cut out pass from him, the same from Lockey Miller and leads. Yeah, leads are just they're looking really really good, you know them themselves and Warranton I think, and you know a whole k are really building momentum now. But but Leeds just when they're when they're on the way, they move the ball, big forward packs and really you know, skillful backs and yeah, just tour talk Catalands.
Speaker 1: Apart Catalans, Catalands. It's catalans. Oh you're such a mank John whole k r forty eight at Bradford, who only scored twelve on their small ground. I mentioned it every week. Tries for Douglas and Eden for Bradford Bulls and two goals to act King Hulk are four tries to Mikey Lewis, who's going to partner Jake Connor for England. May scored one, Martin scored one. Broad Bent scored one and Hiku scored one and the goals eight from Martin. We've mentioned, ok, are they're building momentum Brafford going the exact opposite way, aren't they.
Speaker 3: Well that basically casualty. I think they had fifteen fit players to train or something. This week they had to bring in Greg Eden from North Wales to field the team. So I think you know, everyone and their mom was expecting a hot k Are win, pretty soft opening try and then you know, if some of the trial line defense was non existing.
Speaker 2: Michael Lewis had a field day really.
Speaker 3: Just too big and strong round the ball, and yeah it was it was one way traffic. Yeah, I mean, okay, after that poor start of the season, I think everyone expected them to come back and they're really doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: Think well, I think a few people probably wrote them off, but I wasn't certainly writing them off after you know, round one and after Vegas and yeah they're they're looking good and yeah, you feel for Bradford. We've just got no fit players and can't really recruit anyone. Yeah, it's a really tough period from I think there was another player, I think Logan Lewis hia On on Saturday as well, So yeah, tough time for the Bulls.
Speaker 1: Saint Helen's eighteen Wakey twelve. It was sixteen mil at halftime for Saint Helens, which means Wakefield had quite a good comeback. Tries to Davis Felton, sailor for Saint Helens, three kicks to Hastings, Wakefield scored through Smoothie and far Tilly and two goals for Simfield. I think that's a very big win for Saint Helen's actually, yeah, and typical Wakefield this year. I mean when they lose, they don't get better, do they.
Speaker 3: No, No, Wakefield were right in it, and I think just the disappointing from them was that they went they gave up such an early lead sixteen points, three tries and then fought back well. But at the end I had a lot of ball, they just had last tackle options and couldn't really create anything in that last ten minutes when you really the game was there, you know, for the taking arguably, But Saint Ellen's it's just remarkable actually because they've they've had so many injuries and while they've got much better depth than a lot of clubs, you know, no Lee's no Wellsby, you know, sort of makeshift players in certain positions, but they're just doing doing so.
Speaker 2: Well finding ways to win.
Speaker 3: We've got to give a lot of credit to those players and to poor Rolie for for what they're doing.
Speaker 2: And you think when they get you.
Speaker 3: Know, those players like World's be back, you know, right up there in contention for trophies. So an impressive display from from Saint Helens, you know, on their home turf.
Speaker 1: Questions.
Speaker 2: Leonard R.
Speaker 1: Gregory on X said which super League fan base is most easily triggered? And is it finally Warrington's year? And I don't know the way he wrote that. I don't know if he was saying, by the way the answers Warrington, Yeah, right right, which super League fan base is the most easily triggered? I mean, my my take on it either in the final is hilef C and Bradford based on my experiences, that's that's probably fair.
Speaker 2: Look, I think in my.
Speaker 3: What fourteen years of so covering super League, I think I've been accused of being having a generalgainst every club that's ever and because there is a whole KR fan on Twitter called John Davison I usually get accused of being a whole KR fan, which I'm not. But yeah, the wholef C fans, and there are some some normal, sensible ones out there. I do communicate with a few of them, but they are very touchy when it comes to any criticism of their club or their management. The whole John cart Right, Richard Miler thing. Miler obviously did one interview. He knocked back a request to go on Sky, not back the BBC, which the BBC interesting, BBC Humberside tweeted that out, and a lot of the holest teams self C fans seems to think, oh, he's done one interview, that's it. That's not how generally sport and the media works. You don't kind of just hide behind a set of answers. But for me, this is kind of what people Roguy League people in the UK expect because the level of cover just so low you can kind of get away with just spinning something out and then closing up shop and expecting everyone to swallow it. But I think in this case a lot of people aren't swallowing it. Hence the you know, the talk around it, and that's the job of the media to you know, try and find out what's really happened and give opus sorry, open and honest opinions.
Speaker 2: And I think just a.
Speaker 3: Little NRL analogy with the Flannagan situation. I can't remember the the chairman of the Sea at the Dragons St. Georgia the war who did that, but they did the press conference of the weekend Lancaster and he shot out Lancaster.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had well, so each journal was allowed one question, which went down well for those people who traveled from Sydney to Woollongong. And he also had a bit of a shot at the media, didn't he, which an Asta I thought was aimed at him, and he responded and count in kind. So I think that's, you know, the same if if Pep Guardiola did the same thing and just went on a specific podcast and brushed you know, Sky on the BBC and every other media outlet, he'd be absolutely slammed.
Speaker 2: So it's really it should be really no different regularly.
Speaker 1: Leonard also asked is it finally Warrington's year?
Speaker 2: I don't know about that. It's it's really too hard and early to say.
Speaker 3: Look, Warrington are having a good season, they had a good season two years ago. You know where they made Wembley and they got to within a win of getting the Grand Final. The George William news is not good even though you know you and Irwin is a really exciting young halfback and you know he's him and Mark Steeds. He is a good harvest partnership and a lot of clubs would be, you know, buying the hands off to to have those. I think it's too early to say whether they're you know, a certainties for everything, but I think with the team they've gotten the way they're playing, there can certainly get to well then you need a beat whole car to get to Wembley, don't I? And I think you know they could get to Old Trafford And if you're in a final, you're you're you're half a.
Speaker 2: Chance to win it, an't you.
Speaker 1: Chef Toffee Saint said, now Tubbs is out of his band, should he be the next Catalan's head coach? I'll translate I think Tubbs might be Marc Aston because he's the only coach I know of in a ban.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Should he the next Catalan's coach?
Speaker 3: I don't know if he should be, but as I said the other week, there's a lot of speculation that he will be, but he's not. He's not commenting when I contacted him. And now there's the club, so.
Speaker 1: Sea Bowled and Flaminggan will be in the mix for some of these you watch.
Speaker 3: I think, Yeah, the thing with Catalan's going to remember though, is that they're not spending anything like they used to because they've got to front up that million quid for travel. Nice place to live though, Yeah, but I think if you're finding an or Sea Bowld, you would be expecting the kind of investment that mc namara had, that Trent Robinson had, and I don't think there are anywhere near that in their cap spend nor what you know they they provide. So I think in a way Mark Aston would would make sense. You know, I think him and Ryan Sheridan are close. Who's the assistant there. He is a good coach, Mark Aston. I know he's a character that he is very honest and direct, which doesn't always go down well, but you know, I think he's he's a very experienced coach and yeah, in some ways I think he would be a good fit.
Speaker 1: Joel Tompkins ended up picking up a rugby union gig, didn't he so.
Speaker 2: He did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I think I probably can't say too much on that one, but yeah, he's left in the middle of the season and Catlens need to sort out what's what's happening there and de Preston. Is there any future scenario in the games potential predicted structures where the Challenge Cup has a commercial and competitive home or should we just park it as a historical keepsake? Can I answer this first? I think we need to big bash it a little bit. I think we need to compress the Challenge Cup into the middle of the year to break the season up, and if you get knocked out, you have a couple of options. We can either have some kind of fall back plate competition or something like that. All can do some kind of nine circuit or seven circuit to spread the game a little bit around the country. I think, you know, if you think about the BBC, for example, if in the middle of the summer we had Rugby League on the BBC Saturday and Sunday one weekend after.
Speaker 1: The other after the other after the other, a bit like everybody wanting to play tennis for two weeks have to Wimbledon. That could be a nice way of doing it, and that could generate some interest, I think in terms of the Cup, because you could also package the tickets then a little bit too. You could say, right, you can buy tickets for all four rounds or five rounds or something like that. So I'd like something like that to be looked at, because I don't think we should ever get rid of the Challenge Cup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I agree with you. Look, I think the Challenge GP's cut too much history and heritage. I think it needs a bit of TLC and I think if the NRL was taking over, that was something that you know, some marketing support and spend would be.
Speaker 2: Given to.
Speaker 3: Not to be a naysayer, but your idea about the BBC, it's an exciting idea. But the BBC isn't interested in showing all those games, and that's one of the reasons why they don't show all the quarterfinals. I think if you bunched the games like you said, like maybe like a mini Magic weekend, I think that could particularly work. I know, obviously with the semifinals in what two weeks, you know, we've got the women's semifinal and the men's I think maybe the quarter finals, whether you you know you do a Saturday Sunday somewhere, you know, whether it be I don't know, Nottingham, Card of not Liverpool because we've got magic there, Newcastle wherever, and yeah, you do it that way. But yeah, the thing for me, the Challenge Cup has always kind of been apart from the final for a while. It's just been a bit of an afterthought when it comes to promotion and supporting. That way is and you see the crowds generally for all the home ties, they're pretty poor, so there definitely needs to be a different approach. I like the Cup on at Wembley, and it costs the game a lot of money and the game doesn't have a lot of money. But I do like the Wembley connection, and I do like the fact that it's played in London and it generally gets a bit more by cut through sorry because of its history and its heritage.
Speaker 1: Because Debbie used the word bloody in her message, I'm going to do it in her accent, and I think looking at her Twitter profile she might be from Lease. I'm going to do it in a lie accent.
Speaker 2: John.
Speaker 1: If NRL do have some say in Super League, will will we tell English clubs to pay for their own costs when they go to Catalan the bloody well should.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: I don't know the exactly answer to that because it's not being mentioned, but I would imagine they would try and create it so every club has an equal equals saying, equal footing and equal standing, because I think the current system where the French clubs have to pay for the travel costs is not sustainable for them, and also it's an unfair advantage for the other twelve English clubs.
Speaker 1: And then there was another question about the votes, Mark Williamson, how possible is it for a breakaway league to form from this vote? Well, I'm going to answer that quickly. Very possible because it's rugby league. We were born on a breakaway. I can see it being because eight six seven seven, He says, I'm just sick of hearing the measurement for being a good club is away fans and how many parts and peace yourself will be a semi pro sport on the M sixty two by twenty thirty one.
Speaker 2: If it's a no to the NRL, yeah, I mean a lot of that I agree with.
Speaker 3: I think Andrew abd Abdo when I was yeah, A sorry Andrew Adverto. When I was talking to him, and I know when he was talking to Sky, he stressed about unity and that we want everyone to you know, get behind Now maybe that's just soundpoints, but if the NRL needs unity and everyone in the UK game to get behind it, then that's not going to happen. That's not really being me being cynical. I think that's just being realistic. I think, look, a breakaway you'd obviously have your your Wiggins, your half c your whole k war into York Carlans to lose what we need at least one or two more.
Speaker 2: Maybe Castleford. Yeah, I think the ro is going to take over.
Speaker 3: They've got to provide enough money to sweeten the deal for a lot of club owners. That's the only way. That's the any way the Independent Commission in Australia started was effectively they said all right, we'll give you this amount of money each and now, what of the NRL clubs are getting a couple million on top of their salary?
Speaker 2: Cup aren't they something like fifteen million? More?
Speaker 3: So that's why they've relinquished control. So yeah, you've got to do that. A breakaway league, I think for me, would probably do more damage than then push the game forward. But yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: As if the clubs worry about pushing the game forward, well that's yeah, a lot of them, don't leavel. I'll go through the top eight. I'm not going to read out the points because I set the points of bullshit, because you get two points for not playing a game when you have a bye.
Speaker 2: I mean, whoever came up with that idea, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Panther's the top, Warriors, second, West, Tiger's third. That's definitely a new story. But you know, Jerome Leueye being in popping New Guinea in Port Moresby won't be doing their camp too much good at the moment. Rabbits in fourth are going well, Rooster's looking the goods in fifth.
Speaker 2: And they see your goals in sixth.
Speaker 1: I don't want to shout that in front of John. Never hear the end of it. Broncos in seventh, Cowboys in eighth. That rounds off the top eight. Cronola, Sharks ninth, Bulldogs tenth, Nights, Sharks ninth, Bulldog's tenth Nights, eleventh, Dolphins, twelve, Titans, thirteenth, Raiders, fourteenth, Eels, fifteenth, Storm, second bottom on sixteenth on sixteenth and the drag and propping everyone up. Look manly four on the bounce Underkier and four and West Tiger's going well. But I do think the stories here are the Storm and the Bulldogs. The Storm and the Bulldogs. The Storm. Obviously, Craig Bellamy looks a little bit lost at the moment. It's almost like this game he doesn't recognize it, and I totally, I totally empathize with him. But the Bulldogs, and I really want your opinion on this. They totally overhauled that roster and it was a brand new roster I think three years ago, so it was set up for you know, these are the new ones. The old ones not good enough, These are the new ones. There were top of the ladder last year with a certain fella at nine and a certain fella at seven. They got rid of both of those and since then they've started to drop right off, so much so that in their last fifteen games they've only won five of them. Bulldogs fans are the whole leftc and the Bradford of the NRL. Trust me, They would criticize and say, well, why are you using past results from last year? Well, it's good enough for the Dragons when we're talking about the Dragons, so why can't we talk about the Bulldogs in this regard. I can't see Gus Gould enjoying this because he's got history with coaches and a decision was made to bring Luckie Galvin in the seven over Toby Sexton. There's was one of two ways of looking at this. Either Galvin is not half and he never will be a half and he should never have been but there or the coaches and coaching in well enough and therefore and whichever way you fall on, that decides whether you're in the gust Gould camp or the or the Soraldo camp. Basically, I would say there's an argument to say that the Serraldo can't coach attack, they don't score many points. And this is where the Bulldogs fans get up me when when I say things, Well, when they won against Penrith is the week, my god, my phone didn't stopped. But since then they've lost two games and they were quite awful against the depleted Brisbane Broncos the other day. I think that there's a bit of trouble with Bellmore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, they they were very good last year weren't it, And I think the expectations this year are very high, you know, to be well, if not a top two team, they're the top four team and they look anything like that at the moment. Look, Gas Gould's one of the smartest minds in rugby league and he's got an exemplary record, but he is human and he does make mistakes. You look at what he did with Ivan Cleary, you know, sacking him at Penrith, and then you know that that's an indicator. I think Andrew Webster rode a fantastic profile about Gas.
Speaker 2: Whatever it was. They don't talk anymore.
Speaker 3: Once ago, no, no, but yeah, it's it is a really strange one. The whole Galvin thing. What happened with Toby six then they moved on Red Many. Yeah, it's not really working out for me. Galvin's He's never been a seven, he's a six. And I still prescribe to the you know, the old school theory of a seven being your actual game manager and your six being more of a runner. And you know who plays second fiddle. I know a lot of teams like to play left and right, don't they.
Speaker 1: Oh, well that My argument is it's not. You know, there's no rules that say that has to happen. So but it's the role that you asked the player to play that's the most important. And I think, you know, Hines and Trindle at Cronulla are a perfect example of that. I think Heines has seven on what plays more like a six and Trindle was six on quite a lot and plays like a seven. I mean, it's just a number on the back. Who cares. I've played with no halves before now and use my number one as a half so and played with two extra props, so you can do what you want with the jersey.
Speaker 3: Well, James Graham and Adam Custardson played us as half backs and props bodies for many years to the Thames they played for, didn't they. So yeah, I mean the Bulldogs it's not working and the pressure is only going to increase at Bellmore because as you said, it is a big club. They get a lot of attention and expectations are high. I think for Melbourne, just to segue a little bit, because they're in Melbourne they don't get They're not in Sydney. They don't get you know, they don't get a huge amount of journals, at their their presses and their media days and their opportunities. They do get spotlight, but they're not in a fish bowl. They're in a goldfish bowl living in Melbourne. But it is a it is a very interesting time there because of the run of results. As you said, Craig Bell and me, looks a bit lost. They've had you know, they've lost big game players in the off season and then they had that terrible issue with Katala. But they're still they still got a squad that should be doing better than they are. I wouldn't write them off turning it around, but you know they're going to have to do a hell of a lot in the second half of the season. But I think this is why the Roll was such great competition. It's because you have those ebbs and flows. You know, it's not guaranteed every game who's going to win. You have teams that have great periods and they rebuild and come back. You know, the Broncos year to year, you never know who's turning up. You know, mainly we're absolutely dog shit for the first three weeks and then they've won four in a row. The West Gigas have been terrible for about fifteen years. But they're having a great season. And the Knights they were what really good. They've lost three in a row now and we're quite poor against Penrith. The highlights that I saw, so yeah, a long lived the NROL and the unpredicted that brings in this great talking points.
Speaker 1: Just add to these with a winner, just the team name because we'll wrap it up shortly. Thursday, O k Are play Cast Tigers at Craven Park winner KR me too, KR Friday Leads play Wakefield. This is a tough thing at Headingly.
Speaker 2: I think leads, I think leads.
Speaker 1: I think Wakefield, and I'm gonna go Wakefield. Leads aren't unfallible like leads are leads.
Speaker 2: Defenses.
Speaker 1: You know one thing I'm noticing John teams that have spread up and in defenses are really struggling in this fast ruck game at the moment. Friday as well, Saint Helen's hosting York Nights at the brew Dog Saints Wigan versus Bradford on Saturday. It's three o'clock again. That's happening a few times, isn't it.
Speaker 2: The Brick?
Speaker 1: And also on Saturday, Catalans versus Lee at the start Gilbert thinking me, Bob.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I might edge towards the Leopards and.
Speaker 1: That one I'm edging towards Catalans because it's their week. Also on Saturday, Huddersfield are hosting Wolves. I think Giants bubbles burst again.
Speaker 2: I think yeah, Warrington by a big score.
Speaker 1: And then the Sunday fixture whole host to lose whole, I think to lose. Yeah, yeah f C. Yeah that's next week, nice one, John, What we're thinking after the hooter? And what game are you going to this weekend?
Speaker 3: Ah? Well it'll have to be Thursday night because I'll be boording a flight of Paris on Friday morning.
Speaker 1: So yeah, right, well that game then is OKR and CASS be good to look at OKR again actually now that they're yes, they're hitting a bit of form. Yeah, so listen out for that. Where can people contact you, John, apart from in the Shawn's Delese.
Speaker 3: Yes, they can contact me on exit Johnny d Davidson on Facebook at John Davidson Journalists and now on Instagram at.
Speaker 2: D Davidson RL. Come and get me on the ground.
Speaker 1: I am Rugby League Coach dot COMA ta you at Rugby League Coach on socials admin at Rugby League Coach dot com to te you as the email. Take care and you'll hear from me and John later in the week. Don't forget the Rugby League Coach podcast if you're interested in coaching.
Speaker 2: See you later.