Speaker 1: Hello there, and welcome back to the disc connected here with perhaps the youngest boutique blu ray label in the world at the moment, considering we don't even have our first release in hand yet, but I want to give you all of the information possible with New Way Video. Here, we've got John who you might recognize has been on the channel before. John is a part of the Imprint podcast and a few other things, the Indicator Cast, and he's been a part of the awards show that I do and some other stuff. Well we'll talk about one of the other exciting things coming up to but John's partner my echoes here as well. Welcome, thanks for coming.
Speaker 2: On, Thank you for having us fat New.
Speaker 1: Way Video before I ask all the deep stuff behind it. What is New Way Video? What you what are you giving your elevator pitch as nowadays?
Speaker 2: Yes, a New Way Video is. Like I said, it's a label that's focused on genre titles, particularly Asian genre titles. So we're really going after the obscure, forgotten films, films that we personally love as well that just haven't been given that sort of special treatment, and films have lost in limbo. So I guess our main mission is to sort of rescue Asian films, particularly like I said, hard hitting genre films and sort of titles that we're big in that day but have essentially been forgotten and not because of any sort of issues with the film, just because of the rights issues or things that have happened over the years. So our main goal is to just present some of the most you know, controversial or you know, I guess, how shall we say outstanding or and like I said, in terms of critically claimed as well films in the Asian line, and obviously we're we're focusing on Japanese right now, but sort of our goal is to get these films back out to the public in very nice special editions.
Speaker 1: It is exciting to see, you know, you've announced three of your titles so far, and every single one. I've seen many people, especially spying three and we're going to get into all of these, but many people responding with, oh my gosh, I've been looking for this for years and here you are delivering it to the people of Australia and kind of secretly the rest of the world that are going to fall in love with you quickly. This is amazing. One thing that's obvious is you've got a partnership here. How is it running things behind the scenes as a couple.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we both have our own roles and it's a really good sort of ying. And Yang, I guess obviously Makos originally from Japan, so we have that advantage. Maker works very closely with the license sows, the sales contracts, the filmmakers. Yeah, and myself, I'm more on the I guess, the production side, sort of picking the films, working with the special feature and extras, producers, manufacturing. So it's a really good sort of balance. But yeah, and it worked well for us because dealing with Japanese license sows is a real art form. And Make explained that the sales process Japanese is quite a.
Speaker 3: It's quite like a long pulsus, like maybe the lot of steps right, yes, to get the deal. So yeah, we take you know, time and then you know bucking pores and background purse, so we need a bit patient.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yeah, and that's the thing. And some of the films we've released is once again not because like I said I said earlier, it's just some of the US companies may have just given up after like you know, maybe two emails no one responded. They use Google Translate. They're getting frustrated. Why do they want respond? And so you know, Miko knows how to because obviously she comes from a sales background as well.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm working in the educational industry as like educational consultants, but more like you know, sales, like marketing.
Speaker 2: I know how to talk with people.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I imagine that's super important. Communication is probably like the number one used skill with with this whole industry.
Speaker 3: For the.
Speaker 2: It is especially Japanese companies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we have like you know, a bit different culture, you know, com bear with Western countries, so that very especially you know culture, so yes.
Speaker 2: And very like I said, patients, and and you know, just certain mannerisms as well, like I myself, I spent hours just practicing the car delivery. So when you because we obviously met these licenses in Japan, we met them in person, so there are certain rules. You have to be very respectful and if you do something wrong in the meeting, that that's it. The deal could be off the table. So there's certain steps and I think it's very interesting and it is a real learning experience. But thankfully with maker has that great sort of skills for negotiation as well with the licensees and contracts, so that's really helpful. And obviously working with the filmmakers too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, directors, we bigits and directors and you know, we got the interviews, so yeah, it was a nice experience.
Speaker 2: And also just general communication, like just just keeping them up to date, what's happening with the release, like obviously just just keeping them informed. So yeah, so obviously that's very valuable to the New Wave Obviously brands trying to get you know, work with the licenses, like I said myself, Yeah, so more ons of the getting the releases together that the extras, and obviously you're getting it into production. So it's like it's a really really good balance we have sort of between us on that side.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well we've mentioned that the name new Wave Video a handful of times already. Why why the name new Wave? What does that mean to you and the company?
Speaker 4: Actually, I this isn't my idea, yes, because we are based in Sydney, and then you know, we chose the name new Wave because Sydney has a lot of like nice beaches and you know beach vibes.
Speaker 3: So and then like you know, new wave, but there is another.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Reason, like another metaphor like metaphor, Yeah, like we want to make like an impact in the industry as a newcomer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so wave making waves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, making wave making an impact.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I thought, oh, that is kind of like a cool name. And I also represents as.
Speaker 2: Like Sydney, we wave the flag for Sydney. Yeah. We did go through a few names, and it's kind of hard obviously being a names, so we just kind of went through and and I thought that was good and it was available. The name was available, so we kind of we.
Speaker 5: Are actually on the bus, you know, on the way to the beach maybe a few years ago, and I said, oh, what about like a new way, Yes, yeah, and that's the one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And like I said, and this hasn't been an overnight thing. This has been over a year and a half of planning to get this off the ground. So yeah. So the name we probably came up with and you know, probably about maybe two years ago. So yeah, and that was kind of a spark light ball moment. It's cool. And we looked up and it was available, and so we registered it and got a really cool logo design that kind of I guess shows to the Asian influences at of like Japanese style as well. Sort of it's cool. So yeah, so obviously that's that's Mako that came up with the name. So yeah, we kind of got that inspiration as a newcomer.
Speaker 1: Well, and you bring up the timeline, and that's probably a good question because I've you know, you and I know each other. I've known about this for quite some time at this point, and before then you had a lot of stuff already leading up to that. What was what was the start of this? Like, what was that moment that inspired this to begin?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we've been discussing about starting a label for a while and it was one of those things where it's like you've got to have that first title, or at least acquire a title that that's what gets the ball rolling. So we weren't looking at various films and how this all started was actually our last trip to Japan. Sorry, it was actually was January. It was it twenty twenty four, Yeah, I think it was. That was the trip for Yeah. Yeah, so it's been it's been a while. So we're in Japan and we just thought, oh, maybe we can look to acquire some films, acquire some films were over here, and and so a friend of mine said, oh, you know, there's a director shows in for Kui who did ninety six four Pinocchio, and I'm a huge fan of that film and his other film, Robbers Lover. And so I said, to make a what if we approach shows in and say, hey, you know your other films not available, could we possibly put it out? So we we thought about it, and we said, oh, I don't know what we'll see. So we went. We went to his bar. We met him, absolute gentlemen, and you know, we got along like a house on fire. And she was in He he's a massive movie fan. His bar is literally filled with movies, Like he has a wall of Blu rays and he puts a movie on every night because it's called Yeah. It's really cool.
Speaker 3: You visited there by yourself? First? I did, yes, yeah, without me, So you guys.
Speaker 2: Kind of hit it all, kind of yeah, I hit it off.
Speaker 3: But he don't speak English, you don't understand what you were saying. But but you guys, movie talk, movie talk, yeah, movie movie yes, yeah, And then you all yes, you visited next day by yourself again.
Speaker 2: That's right. I forgot, yes, sorry, So I went first just just to see if it really was his bar, because you know, it could have been let on a well chase. I went there, I said, ah, and I said, ChEls him and I'm like, Australia shoot in this, I'm from Australia. You lost you and she must and and he said oh. And then I said, oh, nine sixpo pinocchios. Ah. Because at the time he didn't have any posters or anything like, you would not know he was the director. Recently he's really embraced his films, but obviously at the time I didn't even know. I said that you shols and something Oh, and I said oh, I said, I'm a big fan of And he probably thought, who's the strange guy from Australia in my bar? And I said oh, And so yes, I did completely forgot. I didn't meet him first, and then I said to make oh, let's go. Originally I said we weren't playing to acquire it. It was just the thing. I said, let's meet shows and he's a really nice guy. So we went the second night, Yeah, and I visited Yeah, you came with Yeah again with me. And then I may have had too many drinks that night, but I said, oh, and I said, oh, I said, because Nicey saw Pinocchio just got a blue ray thing from Media Blasters, And I said, where's Rubber's Lover? Because I because that's my favorite of his two films, Like they're both great, but Rubber's Lover it's more edgy, it's more dark, it's more gory, it's more intense. It feels more like a Tetsu that I man, I think that's his master in my opinion, Like they're both great, and I just I just said, what's going on with that film? And he said, oh, you know, it's just you know, we've had some companies in choir, but no one's really gone through with it. And then I, like I said, maybe had too many high balls, but I said, oh, we'll release it, We'll do it. And and and I think as we got along so well, he sort of had that trust, like he said, oh, you know, these good people like they like movies as well, and thankfully he likes to make it was helping us communicate a bit better than I could. But that that night we were just sort of, you know, talking about movies like the whole night, like David Lynch obviously the influence of him, you know, Argento and and yeah, and then at the end of the night pretty much he said, oh look, I'll add you on Messenger Facebook, and so we added both of us and they said, we'll start the conversations about Rubber's lover. And the thing is I thought that he owned the film, but he didn't. It was actually owned by a big company, so that leads a whole whole other story. But but yeah, that was sort of that that light bulb moment, like this will be the film. Hasn't got a blue ray, no one's released it, It's sitting in limbo. The DVD is horrendous. I hate to say it, but it was literally from it like a beta master, like it was really washed out. And so so I said, oh, yeah, this this could be the one. This could be the title. And so I said, to make a let's really kind of persist this pursue. This is our first title, and so yeah, showsn't kind of opened the door for us on our first release.
Speaker 1: Very nice. And when you say no one has released this, just so people know that no one has released this worldwide, there's no German release, no Spanish release, no UK release, no US release, nowhere. So you are the first HD proper release of Rubber's Lover, and that's by Number one right direct.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's there's no release because once again the you know, like I said that the problem was with the elements, and so we were the one so we I mean, I can go into that story a bit more down please, So so yeah, so basically we so I said, oh great, you know, we'll deal with shows in we'll we'll get the movie from him, we'll restore it. And he said, no, no, no, sorry, it's actually owned by, like I said, this company, and we oh, okay, and we checked the company. It's this huge, publicly traded, massive you know corporation. Oh no. And so, because we thought it'd be an easy deal at the bar, you know, signed the contract. So and so negotiations began. And this is where maker comes into place, because dealing with Japanese companies, like I said, it's a it's a very slow process. And negotiations began in February twenty twenty four. It went for a year, and so obviously we were going back and forth, back and forth, and obviously in Japan. It's very committee based, so they have to go back to the board, get it approval, come back to us. It's not like America, but it's like, yeah, do it, here's the contractlet's boombo boom. It's so it's very much a step by step process and so and so, after months and months of negotiations, we found it. We said, they said, yep, look what we can sign you the film. It's all good. Let us check the elements. Oh cool, And they came back they said, oh, we don't have anything. We've got a We've got like a beta master. How's that. We said, we need the elements and we spoke the shows and he said they have to have it. Like we gave them everything they have to have. The negative they have to have. And so basically we went back and said can you please search and they said yeah, sure, and they looked at oh, yeah, we've got the negatives. Yes, great, so and so I know and then we saw okay, great, So they're going to scan it. They're gonna do everything like no, no, no, you guys are going to do it. So and we're like, okay, so so our first film so already like because because a lot of people. They do their first film, they sign a film master's done, they give them the file. It's ready to go. But this was a real learning curve because we had to now restore a negative from scratch and so and so. Then more months passed by, and then obviously we're dealing with insurance shipping, and then finally we get the negatives sent to us and we begin the restoration. So, look, it wasn't that first negative was.
Speaker 3: The different that we expected.
Speaker 2: Yes, and even more problems. So they ship us the negative and we take it to the restoration place and the guy scans it goes through, guys, this is sound, this is not video, and we're like, oh my god. So we go back to them, that's right. I forgot about that and they said, oh, yeah, look we have and they said oh really, and they said, yes, you have to have the picture. It has to be there. And they certainly said, oh, here it is. We found the picture negative and they so just delayed the processing more. So there was a real learning curve, like a bunch of mishaps, but we finally got through in the end. Once again, this was a year process of negotiating, working with them, working with a contract and once again just patience, extreme patience, and we knew in the end it would be worth it because we'll get a film that obviously no one else has released, like you said on Blu Ray. But obviously the process we have to go through, you know, is what what was required in order for us to do that. So yeah, it's a bit of a real learning curve.
Speaker 1: That's that's a lot that's got to be intimidating for your first title and have them not only the long negotiation process, but then have so many setbacks, and it seems like lately with a lot of these very new labels that tends to happen. I don't know what it is, but it's like an initiation process or something. So good job you made it past it. Congrats, I think so.
Speaker 2: I think it was, but it was it was good because, like I said, yeah, it was a real initiation process because everything that could go wrong did go wrong, and it was great because now we know for future what to do. And then the thing was like how do we get this scanned? And so that was another learning process and so I asked around in a good I'm sure he won't mind me dropping his name. James from Carmellion Films. They obviously run that really cool Asian Britique label Melbourne. And so I've been friends with him for a while and so we had a phone call. So, look, you know, what would you recommend for this? He said, oh, look there's a guy in Sydney that does restoration work. Oh wow, because we were looking all the restoration work was in Melbourne basically, which means kind of like you know, you'd have to drive, you know, with a negative ten hours to get a scam and so so he said, oh, look there's a guy in Sydney. So we sussed it out and we went round and I met Ray. And Ray does a lot of restoration work for I guess so government projects for the film archive. And I've seen this work and it's phenomenal. So like, you know, just thirty five mili film, sixteen meal film, and I said, how do you feel doing a Japanese film? He said, oh, it's film, is film, like I'll restore it, you know, just just pret in and we took the negative Ray and Ray did a phenomenal job on the restoration compared to like I said, what looked like before He scanned the sixteen Mili in four K. Obviously we went through, we checked it. He did color grading, correction, clean up on the specs and yeah, so we're like, wow, this is fantastic. So now we have a local guy that can do restorations and is office got this big four K scanner and it makes it easy. Now. So now when we negotiate with these film companies, we can say, hey, we can restore it for you, send us the negative and we'll do it for you. So it really helped build this relationship because, yeah, look, raise a great guy and he's he's a master at what he does. And like I said, he's he's working in more films, some Ozzie films he's restoring right now. I saw some of the previews and they look phenomenal. So yeah, he's a master what he does.
Speaker 1: Well, let's let's dive into Rubbers Lover a little bit more. We mentioned some of the themes of the film, But first of all, like for Kui, didn't he work with Sukermoto a little bit?
Speaker 2: He did. Yes, he worked on Tetsu Byron Man. He's one of the crew and he has that sort of cyberpunk influence. Yeah, a lot of this he works. Yeah, very much sort of punk sort of influence. Like I guess there's there's one called Middle Days, which hasn't officially had a release, but he is planning on releasing it. But yeah, he's he just had this and he worked with what's the director did Crazy Ishi Soga who did Crazy thunder.
Speaker 1: Road so nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're always sort of like real up and coming sort of punk sort of filmmakers and sort of visionaries. And he took that influence and then he obviously made a bunch of short film student films like Caterpillar, which which is really incredible, and then he took that and obviously made his first film, nine six for Pinocchio. And so he does come from that sort of I guess that generation filmmakers like Super Motto, Sono, like all these sort of up and coming Mika, like that sort of generation filmmakers that were up and coming during the sort of video era. And so he obviously took that influence. And when we interviewed him, he did mention he was influenced by a lot of American films as well, like American New Waves. So he's yeah, he's quite the visionary and I think, like you said, despite his film being so intense and extreme.
Speaker 3: He's yeah, he's an extremely like a gentleman and a really soft spoken, very lovely, charming person. So I'm never imagined that he made it such a.
Speaker 2: That movie.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, kind of surprise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, quite a shock. Yeah, sorry, because because you see his films, you think, oh, this guy must be crazy, and you see it's all so yeah, absolutely real gentlemen and yeah, the nicest guy in the world.
Speaker 1: Well, and that brings us to the release. Here, we've got this this Blu Ray coming. You are delivering a really really nice release for the first Blu Ray release of this in the world. You've got an interview with the Koui. You've got Jasper Sharp, who is like the guy for many of these films, doing a featurette on this. You've got Suzanne doing another visual essay incredible, and then you get a booklet with Stanley in there. And then my dear friend, miss Michelle Kissner. These are great I would love to hear. Obviously you're in deep with the physical media world with me. Who who is like the company that you're trying to emulate or who inspired these releases? What are you trying to be.
Speaker 2: Like, Yeah, I mean I've because I've been following home video for a while, like a long time pretty much life. I mean from the early days of local labels over here Anchor Bay and know those sort of labels as well, and then and so yeah, look at I've Obviously I'm a huge physical media clicked to myself, you know, make her nose. I probably have too many Blu rays and four K, way too many. But I guess some of the labels we like obviously. Yeah, like even like like Terror Vision, Like I just love that sort of curation from a label.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The guys are like Era four four four, you know, just really great sort of like Asian titles, Eureka. So these are the sort labels that I'm a big fan of myself personally, if I was to do a label be along that line, you know, very curated. We're not you know, pumping out you know, buying a calog of fifty titles and pumping them out. We're actually handing films that we think are very cool and then we think the audiences would would enjoy as well. So yeah, those sort of labels sort of really influenced myself. Yeah, just just creating a brand that you know, people can have all lined up on the shelf and to go, well, these are cool movies.
Speaker 1: Well, for anybody that's excited about Rubber's Lover, you can buy a bundle on the website now that includes Rubbers Lover and Spy number two. And this one is a director you might be slightly more familiar with. Tell us about your second movie coming out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the second film is Strange Circus by Sion Sono. And this is quite interesting because because the process of Rubber's lovel was taking so long, I said, to make it, look, we should probably look at getting another film in case it all falls apart, because you know, we should probably look at getting a second film, or at least a backup film. Is a launch title, and so we and I was thinking, and there's look, and we've in this weird place where there's a lot of films that were huge during the DVD era, but they never quite made the jump to blu ray and they've they've kind of been forgotten. And one of those titles was Strange Circus. And Strange Circus was a film that I I remember seeing when someone gave me a DVD copy and they said this film is pretty extreme. This is like a pretty out there film. And I watched I was I was blown away by because it was this mystery and it's really beautifully shot, and it's well directed and the you know, obviously Sono is the master so storytelling, and his films are never boring. They just move at a rapid pace and and so yeah, so I said, oh, you know what I thought, And I was thinking a and I was going through a list. I said, you know, a strange circause this one. I think there might be demand for this film because it's it's quite notorious and there's people, you know, there's a YouTuber called Spooky Rice that did a video and had like a half a million views. So I'm like, why is it, Like, what's the deal with this? And so we made contact, we found the company that owned it, We made contact, and this was probably this is probably about six months ago, I'd say, or maybe no, No, it was last year, wasn't it middle I'll try to remember, maybe middle middle of last year. Maybe I think it was maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, strange circus cidic CN. It's the end of the year.
Speaker 2: The end of the year, that's right, Yes, my timelines, so yeah. So it was a time that I just said, oh, what's going on with this film? And so we made some inquiries and we found the right owners and three I think April maybe April April or twenty twenty four, was it? No, it was last year? Last year? Yeah, sorry, this is how sorry because the negotiation is such a long process, right it was maybe maybe I think it was last year. Was last year?
Speaker 1: I mean April was only four months ago, so that would be pretty quick company.
Speaker 3: Yeah, last year, last year. Last year we met the main person was in April.
Speaker 2: That's right. I was just saying when we started acquiring. Yeah, so so it was last year, so early last year, and so it reached out and and City. They're an interesting company. They produced by Gemini, the film What's that film, The Goblin and the other supermodel film as well, so they have a really interesting catalog and I saw a strange circus on the list. They said, oh, yeah, this is the film because I personally love it. So we made some inquiries and these guys there are smaller companies, so things moved a bit faster, which is great. So we had a really good call with them, and we had some negotiations and they said, yeah, look we can, we can sign you this title, and I said yes, So we obviously took the offer and we acquired Strange Circus as the next title, and and yeah, so we once once we acquired it, we thought, obviously we're looking at sort of who could get involved with the release. And then we said, I wonder if Seon Sona would be interested in doing an interview, because look, he's a we won't go into it, but there has been some sort of controversy around on we won't we won't discuss it once again. I you know, Criterion decided to release Rosemary's Baby and have it fully approved by Polansky with his extras all over in his commentary, then you know, and if imprint the side to a Plansky box, So I'm not going to go into it because there's there's certain things there we won't comment. So we thought, oh, look, we try and separate the art from the artist. New wave and what we're trying to do is create a package that has I guess, the best set of documentation on the film, so people know the history of it, the filmmaking and so and so. Yeah, I reached out to someone who knew Sono, which was Nicodem and Nikodem he worked with a lot of labels in Japan. He does a lot of sort of inquiring and sort of extras film as well. I said, oh, look, when mister Sono be interested in doing an interview, and he said, oh, look, I can check because obviously Sono is a bit private right now, but I can check for you. And so so he said, look, even if we don't get so we've got the film, you know, we're going to release it, We'll get some extras done. And then Suzanne was was a big fan of the film as well. So I said, do you want to do an essau? Yeah? Absolutely, so we can't do in the extras, And then we got the word back, hey, yes, actually Sona was interested in being involved with the whole and to us, look, I mean that's you know, it's it's huge for me personally, because you know, Sono was a massive influence to me growing up. His films like stal Cyclic, you Love Exposure, these big sort of tempole films just kind of like epics, yeah, epics, and and yeah, he was like there's there's Mika, and there's Sono and he's he's up there, like he's one of the greats, Like you know, he's one of the great filmmakers, and so it would be an honor to have a son A film in a catalog and so we and that's how we sort of acquired the film and and yeah, and then Sono did an interview for us, which was which was quite quite quite amazing because we didn't think we'd get the interview, but we ended up getting it. And then obviously he also approved the release too. So yeah, yeah, it's a good one. So it's a very the film. How would you describe its kind of a quite a shocking, not any kind of mystery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of a mystery and trauma. Oh yeah, oh yeah that's right, yeah, sort.
Speaker 2: Of a yeah, it feels it's it unfolds an interesting film, Like yeah, I recommend it's a hard hitting film. And and once again it kind of goes back to our mission. We're kind of trying to acquire sort of hard hitting films that quite controversial because, like I said, I love sort of extreme cinema, but I say the words cinema not there are these sort of movies that are shot in bathrooms on phones, I know, like actual movie like Cinema, so like really like films like Martyrs, you know, one of my all time favorites. Wow, So I like extremes, and so we're trying to get to the heart hitting titles and Stranger because it's definitely one of those real, you know, impact films that that you know, it'll stick with you for a while after you see it, you definitely won't forget it. So we, yeah, we want it to get that as our second release. And by the time all the contracts and negotiation was done, Rubber's Lover was done, so kind of we pair them together kind of made sense just to release them at the same time.
Speaker 1: It is so so neat to see a label come out with two titles that are sot after that are rare, that are hard hitting, and that everybody has to sort of immediately be I don't know, like on their on their toes and validate you as a label, because it's not just something easy. You are You were putting something out there that took a lot of work, took a lot of balls, took a lot of just really saying, you know what we're really going for it, and that is that is a bold choice and based to what you're saying, It sounds like that's kind of the whole point of the label. Am I hearing that right? That that is kind of what you're always going to.
Speaker 2: Do, absolutely, and sort of our thing is is first time on Blu Ray as well. That's sort of our sort of mission as well, well, first of first sort of release. And like I said, it's exactly that it's rescuing these films because that's limbo. I don't think anyone else wants to touch them, to be honest, like so, so yeah, that's that's exactly it kind of rescuing these these films and and you're kind of giving them the definitive release as possible. But yeah, absolutely, there's a lot of time and effort and and we want to make an impact of the first two titles, and like I said, we want something that you just hasn't been released you know, five times in different territories. Want to make it a really special release and that's sort of what we're going for. And even the ones in the pipeline are so far you know, first time on Blu Ray. So that's sort of our goal is to really kind of do that.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of that, your your third spine. You just announced that one on social media and blaze of questions from everybody immediately, because this is one that has been sought after for a long time, and kind of around the same time, we have the US company Disco Tech working on a very similar type of release, So could you tell us what that is, what is on the release, and how it will be different from the Disco Tech release.
Speaker 2: Definitely. So yeah, number three we just announced. And the reason we didn't want to announce it early but because Discotech announced the They're one. We just wanted to just get ahead of the curve because obviously, like when Venegas Syndrome did the key in pretty year ago, said hey, guys, just to let you know, we're doing the keep as well, so at least it gives the buyers some options obviously, because that's why I love this is a free market, and so we we announced it a bit early just just to let people know that, Hey, you know, guys, just well I said, and don't get me wrong, I love Discotheque. I've got all there, like a lot of their releases, that the one's really rescuing classic anime and so look, you know, all means if you're in the US definitely. But our one is is going to be a little bit different. I'll explain why. And it's interesting because the how we acquired it was the company that owns Rubbers Lover owns us I was going to pronounce it. That's the correct pronunciation, by the way, because one more time.
Speaker 1: I slaughtered the name on my show last night. So thank you so much.
Speaker 2: And yeah, so we we basically we we met the company that owns Rubbers Love the women in Japan. We went in the office and had negotiations and they said, look, we're very happy with what you guys did was a restoration of Rubbers Love it. You know, here's our catalog. You know, what else are you interested in? And so it was an open book thing. We're like, okay, and so I kind of I went through. I looked at MAKE. I went, I see you guys Ownoski Dot and they said, yeah, we own we owned the whole whole series. And I looked at Make. I said, oh, I think this is this is this, this will be this will be big personally myself, this film I saw I think I'm sure I read maybe teenage boys saw it when they were younger, but when I was in high school. A friend of mine gave me the VHS. It did come out in Australia on tape VHS, and so someone actually gave me a copy of So check out this this this cartoon. And I think maybe I was like fourteen or fifteen, I can't remember, but I watched and I was just like blown away. I was like, wow, this is because I never seen anything quite like it. And a lot of my friends at high school like, oh that that film's like twisted, it's you know, it's it's graphic. And obviously when it came out, people just didn't could not comprehend it when it came out because obviously this is it was made in the eighties, but it didn't get sort of wide video releases until the early nineties and even theatrical dig get theatrical release in Australia as well, which just boggles the mind and so people which is shocked by and I was blown away because it was dark, it was it was also erotic because I never seen something in a cartoon. I was like, why is this, Why is what's going on here? This is very unusual, and I was like very intrigued by it and violent as well. So I ticked all the boxes for me as a you know, like a fourteen year old even though it was R rated obviously shouldn't been seeing it. But uh and so yeah, that that did have an impact on me and a lot of people we speak to and know they have seen it at some point in their life, like they have they do know of it, they've heard of it, the notoriety of it, and so so I said to make I said, look, this is a big title. What we should really go after this because I think it's one of the tempole It's up there with you know, Wicked City. So that's an eighty error of animation, unfortunately does get put into the entire genre. But the theatrical version is more it cuts a lot of that out. It's more of like a post apocalyptic sort of movie. It's a shame because the animation is is beautiful. It's it was animated by the best studios in Japan under pseudonyms, so the guys Madhouse, who did you know, Perfect Blue and that these guys worked on you Dicky dogy early on. And so if you watch the film, the animation is breathtaking. It's fast motion, it's all hand but this is cell based. It's not no citys all hand drawing, like hundreds of animators like drawing out. So it's so it's a real work of art. And that's why when I saw it on the list, I said, oh, like this is I knew Disco Tech had they're released coming. So I said, look, let's acquire it because I personally love this film and I want to I want to make it really special. Let's go for it. And so we acquired it. But the deal was I said to the licenses, I said, look, guys, I want it, but I need Disco Tech's master. I can't accept the video master because I think in Europe they had to release some blue rays that they were just aiop scale. They literally took the old video masters horrible, horrible, horrendous, And so I said, look, will are quite, but we need this, this new two K wrestler. We need this restoration. It's part of our deal. And they said, look what, We'll speak to Disco Tech and and they were nice enough to, you know, give it up, give up the master to us, and so we acquired the title. So I guess where it differs. Look, we take our time with our releases, and obviously we want extras. So we have got people working on it doing you know, essays, interviews. We're doing a mini documentary as well on the controversy of as well, so that included. So we've actually got a local critic, Ron Peterson. He saw it in the original theatrical run and he has a lot of stories to talk about how it played an anime festival and it was quite a story and he's going to tell that on camera as well. And yeah, we want to make it an incredible physical package as well. So obviously it's going to be a big box. It's going to have an art book. We've got hundreds of pages of sort of character designs and concepts and storyboards, so I really want to include that as well. And obviously, yeah, like I mentioned earlier, it's going to be on fifty gigabyte this. We don't use twenty five gig this. We only use twenty fifty gig because we want the best compression. And even though the sequels are standard DEAF, they're huge, you know, niney gig files and they look they look good for for like video masters and so so yeah, so so basically we will be presenting those in the highest quality bit rates spread over a few discs int theyd of just crammed on one disk. We're going to try and have the best presentation. But over all years, it's just a labor of love and it's something that we really want to make special. I mean, as you see out there, that's an original poster of the Demon over the City, got that many years ago. So yeah, it's always been a fan favorite. So when New Wave does a release, you know that it's going to be extra special. So we're going to put in the extra extra mile. And they get at some companies they need to you know, they need to get out to retail as fast. They need to've got a pipeline, they need to work quickly. But with us, we take our time, work with the filmmakers directors. So yeah, if people are patient, and once again I'm not discouraging people from the US release, but if they, uh, you know, it's a free market. You can get the keep from via vision and get the key from a syndrome up to you and so similar to us, you can get the film from US. They'll get it from the US and our release. I did say Region B market because yeah, this will be sort of other territories as well. So yeah, we can explain a bit more. But yeah, it's going to be like we want it to feel like the ultimate addition because this is going to be the be all, end all for the series, and we know there are fans of it, so we want to make it extra special.
Speaker 1: That is basically what I took away from this is it's going to be the full package that Disco Tech doesn't have. That to get Disco Tech's full package you got to buy two different things, which not not a huge deal, but if you want it all in one, this is the way to get that. You got more bonus features, you got better compression, So lots of reasons to pick up your release over Disco Tech if you're a stickler for the technical side, especially, So I mean, this sounds fantastic, I mean, and that's that's just the first three releases. All literally all three of these like obscure, hard to find, some of them shrouded and received controversy, and like so much just rich history behind these titles, really great choices. Can we can we get anything about what's coming up in the in the future for a New Way video?
Speaker 2: Definitely? Yeah, So I was just going to mention as well with the compression. So we've partnered with I won't say their name, but they do the authoring for Imprint as well and Poor Label so and so. So yeah, they've been really they're actually authoring the disc right now for us, the first two releases, and so they that they they're the masters of sort of compression. It's not fidelity the emotion or they're they're fantastic, but these guys do a lot of work for the local labels and so, and they know their stuff. So obviously the bit rates it's very important to us, you know, may being quite technical, what's kind of importance. So yeah, so so you just want to mention that these will be properly authored. Dis A's not someone in the garage, you know, burning discs, you know, because a lot of people are like these burn on demand. No, these are proper press This properly authored with going the extra miles, I just wanted to mention as well, but they will be well compressed as well, because it's very iportant, great in terms of what kind of titles. Yes, look, Wimill'm happy to announce number four on your show. So number four will be another Sono movie and because a lot of his films are stuck in Libo, and it will be a two thousand and five film called Nordico's Dinner Table. And and that is a film. It's actually the Suicide Club prequel. And look, in my opinion, our opinion, we think it's it's better than Silicide Club. It's it's a real like son I had really mastered as skill as a filmmaker, and and it's it's an incredible film and one that I've been looking at a lot of groups and forums and people like where's Noriko, where's Norwiko. So we met with the licenser in Japan. We went out to dinner with them and and yeah they were lovely, really nice people.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, very super causual and then like you know, we had a drink and like yeah, when to your bar to then as.
Speaker 2: We yes, yeah yeah. And so what opened the door was we because it went out and we met these licensells who owned a lot of so films and basically we and then Nickodyin was there as well, and he said, oh, look I'll try and get Sono out and he said, oh, no, pressure, he doesn't have to come out and then he showed up, Oh my goodness, and so so and then we were you know, we went out that night drinking with Sono and the license or and we we were just like, you know, is this really happening. So it's yeah, it's kind of like you know, because because like I've always admired this filmmaking, the fact we're drinking with them at the bar, talking about us films, going into depth and details, and also getting his approval like do you want these two together? Do you want this separate? How do you want to do this? And do you approve his artwork? So so it was just kind of surreal and so and so, yeah, we struck up a good relationship with those licenses as well. So Noriko Dinner Table is a part of that, another son of film. So we want to rescue Sono and once again art from the artists. We just want to put the films out and it's up to your choice if you want to purchase or not. You don't have to, but yeah, we want to give people the option at least make these films available and not bury them. Because yeah, because no Conner Table is Yeah, it's when I first saw it, it really had a big sort of emotional impact on me. It's it's a very yeah, it's a very emotional film. It's it's yeah, I can't wait for people to see it. And they did send us the negative to it as well, so I've got it right here, I can show it office negative, so yes, and so this is the yeah literally just said naughtyko yeah yeah in Japanese. Yes, yeah, naughty coats down table. So so yeah, so I've got this. So these they shipped it over, we got it FedEx and it's always very nerve wracking to have a negative in the post. So this is gone. It's it's gone essentially, that's it. And so yeah, we will be restoring this. This is the yeahs iry and people under it negative looks like this is just real one of ten. It's a long film. It's it's two and a half hours, so this is one of ten reels. So yeah, so we'll be releasing that. We'll give it the special treatment and then once again we'll give so the deluxe treatment as well. The interesting thing about Norico, it was people wondering it was Karli Wolf Creek. It was shot digitally, but then it was transferred to film, so so because back in two thousand and five, cinemas have not quite made the jump to digitally yet and so essentially, yeah, this film was shot digitally, but then they transferred it to film. So what we're doing is restoring the negative the film negatives. It's going to get as the best possible element we could get. So yeah, we're very we're very excited to see how it looks like. And Ray is currently restoring it right now.
Speaker 1: This is I mean, the first four titles are like long sought after stuff that people just could not get and you somehow got through the door and got it in that that's got to feel really great to get those out of the way and literally have the foundation of the company b be these like monumental achievements to be able to put out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, yeah we yeah, so like I said, they were, we were a bit ambitious and we persisted. But thanks to some negotiating and yourself obviously negotiating to being very patient your.
Speaker 3: Taste of movies, like you're really super taku. So yeah, quite surprised that. Yeah, he has a lot of knowledges and that ee for all movies, is it correct, like movies like you know, I'm a more I like mainstream, you know. So that's why he brings a lot of movies which I haven't seen it, even Japanese films. So yeah, of surprise, Yeah surprising.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so but yeah, because I knew, I guess I knew these are big titles that you like. And that's the thing I'm thinking as a collector's mind, these are things I want to see, like like where are they? That's why, and this is how I want to treat it. So it's coming very much from a collector's mind frame of like how we kind of want to see these releases. So yeah, so we hope that these are big, hard hitting titles out of the gate, just to kind of show that, you know, we're here to continue and work on films that we love and give them the treatment they deserve. But look, we are exploring other options as well. There are certain films we're looking at that wouldn't suit new Wave. They're more sort of I guess, more sort of art house, like one of your We can't reveal the title. We're in negotiations for another title, but it definitely wouldn't fit on New Wave. That movie you like, Yeah.
Speaker 3: New Wave is more for like extreme like horror genre genre, but in the meantime, like we want to launch a side label for more like mainstream or like a drama or peaceful movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I more you know, I like, well there's yeah, because don't understate you know, Maker you've has a has a great knowledge of Japanese films, I guess sort of more sort of uh drama and coming of age films and sort of like really great, like she brought some of my attention. I watched them, like wow, this is this is incredible, and so a film actually in negotiations for right now. But once again, we'll not fit in a new way that you know, the person buying that won't be buying this, or maybe they will. I mean, I'm sure they're open. So we're thinking like Terror Vision have their grave faceline, very similar, we might do something like that where it's more sort of indie films, sort of like a Japanese sort of I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So so like I said that, they're fantastic films, but obviously Maker has a great knowledge about that sort of those sort of nineties two thousand sort of Japanese films I've never heard of, which are wonderful, just wonderful kind of like it's like like Karnie, you do like these wonderful cut Yeah, nice, nice sort of movie. So there's stuff like that that we would love to release. Once again, it just does not fit with New Waves, so we we are and that would be more maker, would be creating that line, the the sort of more peaceful films.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now we're thinking about the name or new like I said, the label, but more like really to the new waves a bit like a beach theme something yeah, yea or yeah, but still all yeah.
Speaker 2: It hasn't come yet. We think yeah and looking and we're in and look at not the say too much, but we're in negotiations with for some titles that would take us to barian levels. There are times that we're you know inspiring about that are you know classics as well, So we're very Yeah, I don't want to say too much, but like I said, it's just negotiations, nothing solid, but we definitely want to try and get more you know, into into sort of like the tastiest new waves, like so Japanese new wave as well, so the seventies and sixties. So yeah, that that's stuff we're looking at as well. So yeah, we definitely want to branch out a bit, obviously from the hard hitting genre stuff. And also obviously I guess we're folks in Japanese because it's what we know, we love, you know, we've we know the culture. I've worked in Japan, same with obviously makers from Japan. So so I guess it's comfortable with right now. But we are the possibility of branching out to you know, one of our friends, you know, William, he's actually from Hong Kong originally, he lives in Australia's he speaks Cantonese. So he's showing us the idea of what about sort of Hong Kong films. I'm like, yeah, look, I mean that's a possibility as well, because there's a lot of great Hong Kong movies. But once again, Japanese will be sort of out bread and butter. But there is possibility of Hong Kong later on, maybe as later on down the truck.
Speaker 1: Very interesting there are Man, We're going to have to talk after I pressed up because I've got a long list of titles that I want to throw at you. There is so much happening with all I mean I've covered on my show a couple times, how in the last year year and a half, I did an active number of boutique labels count about a year and a half ago, and around then there was about one hundred and fifty active boutique Blu Ray labels that were you know, they weren't doing like five a month, but they were doing at least one or two a year, so that there are they're actively working towards things. And yet so many people are thinking that some of these companies are going to run out of titles, and yet there are corners of this world that have literally never had stones unturned that if you just put in the work and you get these major titles, suddenly you could be like a major player in the scene here. And that is exciting.
Speaker 2: It is yeah, definitely is it just yeah, like just if you put your mind to it, you never know, like I said, just and you know, it's just just obviously just a process. Be persistent, go after it. You like I said, they can turn you down, but it's worth just doing a shot. We're trying, and so that's why we were going out the styles and we were getting them and we were like, oh wow, okay, so because I thought we'd definitely get knocked back on one or two of them, but it was like, oh wow, so so I guess, and once again it's just how hey present yourself. And but yeah, I think there's plenty of opportunity, plenty of films that need to be rescued as well. Definitely kind of stuck in limbo, and so yeah, there's it's great to hear, and it's you know, it's an incredible time because there's so many and like on your obviously your page, there's always stumping it out daily and it's just like it truly is the golden age of physical media right now.
Speaker 1: That note, I would love to hear. What has the response been, Like, you just got two titles put up for pre order, you saw the bundles available, you got a shirt available. How's everybody responding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look very positively. We were quite shocked the orders were coming in. Look, it's been good, it's been good. I think obviously, being new label, I would be the same. I'd be sort of on the sideline, just waiting to obviously get them in hand and then I make my purchase. So I completely understand there's probably some people just waiting. But it's been very positive. We've had great reception from around the world. People super positive about the releases. Obviously Mako handles the social media, so has that been a bit overwhelming A lot.
Speaker 3: Of the Yeah, like Earlie day, also at night, like you know, Pimp Pin and then new Floors and like, oh my god, we cannot sleep. But even while we're working, like you know, many worries.
Speaker 2: Yes, but still yeah, on the side, the phone keeps going. Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: It's a good problem to have.
Speaker 2: At least it is. It is, Yeah, and I think yeah, and even since yesterday, since we announced Doji, that really kind of just went off and so we've just been having like being shared around the world and we've just been having a lot of messages and people inquiring. So so yeah, so you're working over time on the social media now, having to respond to everyone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, actually you do. But also I yeah, I do try not to like skip someone's comments and tried to respond to.
Speaker 2: All you know, Yes, we try and respond to everyone. Yeah, who plays the comment, Yeah, just just so we're engaged with them as well, the fan base. But yeah, it's been very positive and people are you know, we just can't wait till people have in their hands. I mean, we look and we did a pre order just because look, obviously it's people may may obviously know, but it's very expensive to manufacture. To get every order like it, it's a very expensive process. And then obviously we've paid for the restoration and the just costs that up and so look, we could have sort of paid for it upfront, but we thought, look, the pre orders really help. It really helps us, like get the business, get the cash flow going, so we can obviously get them in hand a lot faster, and so so we appreciate everyone who's ordered directly. It really means a lot because obviously that support helps us to obviously get the initial releases and then and once again we're not it's a real passion project for us. We're not going to be a millionaires of this because obviously everything we make from it goes right back into restoration, into buying new films, into the manufacturing, into artwork. So obviously all the costs that up, and so we're very happy to break even and then obviously make a bit more. But yeah, so the response has been great, So all those people who've trusted us with the pre orders, it's incredible. So we've sold about I can say now in terms of stock levels about twenty five percent, which is which is great. Look, I mean we would have been happy with ten percent. So we've had a really good response. And once again that's just from us, and I can say on the show, I know there's a lot of people that are inquiring about, Hey, you know what about Diabolic or other retailers. Yes, so if you please be patient, we have signed with a distributor and they have all the relationships with all the sort of indie boutique sort of retailers. So hopefully you'll see our titles showing up very soon on their websites as well, so if you they're locally, you can pick it up on them as well. But yeah, it's the support's been overwhelming and where we really appreciate it from everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's already happening. They're out there and at least a couple of the retailers here in the US. Now, I know some people on my discord got real excited, went and pre ordered pretty much immediately. This is so cool to see somebody that I've known and respected for so long be able to do something like this, and this is just one of many things. I mean, you've got the Imprint cast going on that you're still very active on. Obviously, before we call it a day on the interview here, I got to ask you mentioned Ankorbay earlier, what's going on with the documentary because I know a lot of us are dying to see that documentary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously it's still still happening. There was some delays. Look, we interviewed the main people we wanted, but we how should I say this week? It was all guys we interviewed. It was a real sort of a lot of guys talking, a lot of yeah, a lot of.
Speaker 1: Sasage first, I get it.
Speaker 2: Yes, we really needed some like female Ancabay employees to really balance the documentary because interesting thing about Ankabay it was run by women. Essentially they were head of marketing, head of horror. A lot of them are quite obviously they're a little bit shy, the obviously don't want to tell their stories. But we were able to track down three ladies that worked at Ankabay and we will be interviewing them. Actually, Michael Felcher is actually going to go out and interview them and once we've got them. We're done. We're done because I did that balance, that sort of female balance, because like I said, we want to know more about you know, the women who ran the company, like that culture. But yeah, the Ancube Doctor is still coming. Danny is editing it, working on it day and night, and hopefully we'll have an update in the next month or so. But yeah, it's been a long process, but it's something that we we're very passionate about as well, and there's been a real interest uniting in Ncubey. I know that obviously there's an Ancabay podcast that's kind of started. So yeah, we're very keen to get that documentary out there because there's some great stories. You know, We've got Bruce Campbell, William Lustig, so some really big names as well, and so there's a passion project. And and I forget Danny credit because Danny did help me as well with getting the label our label obviously a New Way launch because he he is involved with Crawford's and he's behind all their DVD and sort of Blu ray releases. They do a lot of TV shows, so he really helped me with the logistics of you know, speak to these people they do the manufacturing blah blah blah. So I have Danny credit. It was a massive help in getting us from to the manufacturing stage. But yeah, so we're still coming, aiming for late this year at the worst, maybe early twenty twenty six. But the first trailer should drop, so once we get those ladies interviewed, we can we can, yeah, finally get it out there. So we're we're very excited. So thank you for being patient with us. But I guess, as is the case, documentaries do take a while. We were hoping to rush to get out a lot quicker, but yeah, just we need those those crucial interviews and hopefully next week Michael's going to go interview them, so we should be done. So yeah, it'll be coming soon. And I think even you've been asking what's going on the documentary?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, you're working on that documentary. Now.
Speaker 1: This is this is so great again, very very happy for your congratulations on all the success. Proud to see all the moves you've made over the last couple of years. It's just exciting. The future is quite great for New Way Video and both of you. This is amazing.
Speaker 2: No, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we just hope that people enjoy check them out, you know, and hopefully, and like I said, we're acquiring titles that we think are yeah, some of the masterpieces, like in our opinion, So you know, if people just give them a chance, then enjoy it. Like I said, once again, they're hard hitting, they're extreme. Like I said, we never intended to, I guess sort of be an extreme label. But I guess the films we are acquiring, I guess are extreme to a degree. So so like something like you know, we didn't want to maybe like Unearthed or something. We weren't really going for that, but I guess the titles that we're going are sort of like that. But yeah, like I said, if you just give them a go, there controversial, hard hitting, but just just wonderful, wonderful films and films of cinema.
Speaker 1: Incredible links for everything or in the description below you can pick up from New Way Video Now pre order those. When is the bundle shipping again here in the next couple of months, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Aimy for mid October. So Alex who he's doing our shirt. He's a he's a great guy. Like I've known Alex for a while he usually goes to sort of conventions and sells really sort of cool punk shirts based on horror movies. And I said, oh, you filmcoming Rubbers. It's it's very it's black and white, it's punk. He's I'll do it. So he's done a really cool t shirts. He can get the bundle as well. Yea, and yeah, we're shipping them all out mid October. And and that shirt is a limited edition, so once we close the pre orders then that's sort of bit. So if you want the shirt, I advise you get on it because it is a limited run.
Speaker 1: Good good choice. Yeah, this is great. I'll link the imprint cast below. I'll link all the social media for new wave videos so you can stay up to date. And of course I'll cover every single thing you do because I'm just excited about it. So you know, I'll be here sharing the word. So thank you both for your time. This has been just an absolute delight.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having nice Thank you Eran really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you for watching the Disconnected on the way out. Make sure that you are subscribed to the channel, that you've liked the video, and that you've copied the link to be able to share with someone else that may appreciate this