Speaker 1: Nobody better than you who can tell us how do you bridge real world with the digital world and what you've been doing worldwide and how things are getting transformed.
Speaker 2: Back in India, the first telegraph line was drawn between Calcutta and London and that is a story in itself. The scale at which India is being growing.
Speaker 3: Is completely unprecedented.
Speaker 2: Thirty seven thousand kilometers of rail network have been electrified in the last seven years.
Speaker 3: Let we put that in context.
Speaker 2: That's equivalent to the entire rail network of Germany from five hundred and twenty thousand circuit kilometers to over a million circuit kilometers. There's nowhere else that anything like this is happening at an unprecedented pace.
Speaker 1: When we talk about AI automation in smart factories, how you are going to be implementing it in industries? What is the end impact that you are also looking at.
Speaker 2: When we went from the bicycle to the motor car, jobs changed. When we went from the motor car to the aeroplane, jobs change. When we went from the fax machine to the telex machine to the internet, productivity change.
Speaker 3: I think it's now.
Speaker 2: Exciting times and you will see a lot happening in Siemens in the year's.
Speaker 1: Ed Hello on and welcome. You're watching Business Today television. I'm Sakhalibatryan. This is the Business Today podcast. Today we bring to you a brand that has one hundred and sixty years history. It is often known as an Indian company with a German heritage. The legacy brand called Semens India. We're going to be talking about it. The company that has twenty five factories. It also is silently transforming our everyday life. When we look at it every day, when you take that travel from a mainrail network, twenty five percent of that is powered once technology. In fact, forty percent of our metro cities as well run on Semens technology as well. And right now we're looking at how Semens is rewriting the entire India's mobility story, infrastructure and industries as well in the era of automation and AI. We're going to be diving deep into what next is coming in and how Semens is going to be of course taking the part into India's future growth story. Let's welcome the person with us from Semens India, none other than mister Sneil Marthur, the MD and CEO of Semens in there. We welcome to you, sir, and thank you so much for coming in onto us studios.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having miss Actually.
Speaker 1: It's a wonderful pleasure to have you with us and to talk about this legacy brand. You know, when we talk about, nobody better than you who can tell us how do you bridge real world with the digital world and what you've been doing worldwide and how things are getting transformed back in India. Could you give us a sense of how are you doing what you are and how is it really impacting everyone on ground today?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Thank you so, Stevens. As you rightly mentioned, we've been here for almost one hundred.
Speaker 3: And sixty years.
Speaker 2: In fact, the first telegraph line was drawn between Calcutta and London and that is a story in itself, so we've had a long history over here. Over the years, we've been very much integrated into the growth story of India, and in fact that has accelerated, as we all know, in the last ten or fifteen years, with a lot happening, particularly in the area of energy and infrastructure and now opening up into the private world. The scale at which India is being growing is completely unprecedented. Thirty seven thousand kilometers of rail network have been electrified in the last seven years. Let me put that in context. That's equivalent to the entire rail network of Germany.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Right, we plan to double our energy capacities, right, five hundred gigawards in the country to over one thousand gigawards in the next seven.
Speaker 3: Or eight years.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: We plan to double our transmission capacities in the country from five hundred and twenty thousand circuit kilometers to over a million circuit kilometers. There's nowhere else said anything like this is happening at an unprecedented pace. Ninety airport's built in the last seven years, sixty more coming in the next.
Speaker 3: Five years, so it is huge. What's happening now.
Speaker 2: We are known as a country as being entrepreneurs and leapfrogging technologies all the time. We leapfrog the technology from landline to mobile, We leapfrog the technology from credit card to.
Speaker 3: UPI.
Speaker 2: And this is the opportunity for us to leap frog into the AI world. And this is what makes it so exciting. Physical infrastructure is inert without a digital nervous system, and that is what we help bring to the table. Right, we can enable India's high speed growth through digital infrastructure, bringing in digitalization, bringing in AI, so that the infrastructure becomes alive and is actually able to provide the greatest benefits to the users in the country. So I think that it's exciting times ahead of us, but energy and infrastructure and the AI is going to completely transform the way we live our.
Speaker 1: Lives here fantastic. I think everybody is talking about AI quite a bit, but there's a lot of fear around AI even now, you know, despite it being the biggest buzzword of the last couple of years. The big fear is that it's going to be disrupting technology in a way that you know, a lot of humans might lose their jobs. When we talk about AI automation in smart factories, how you are going to be implementing it in industries? What is the end impact that you are also looking at?
Speaker 2: So I think, you know, I am much more positive and much more optimistic on the question of jobs. I think jobs will change. They won't go away, but jobs will change. The nature of jobs will change. When we went from the bicycle to the motor car, jobs changed when we went from the motor car to the aeroplane, jobs change and productivity changed and growth rates changed. Right, so things became much faster, much more efficient. When we went from the fax machine to the telex machine to the internet, productivity change and we became much more efficient and we were able to do much more with less in a way.
Speaker 3: And I think that's what's going to happen with the AI.
Speaker 2: It will open up avenues for us that never existed yesterday. It will open up opportunities for us, but it will also challenge us to continuous learning, so we will need to upscale ourselves. And this is not something that is going to change overnight.
Speaker 3: I think this is going.
Speaker 2: To be an evolutionary process where AI will creep into every bit of our day to day lives. We will begin to realize, hey, this makes sense for me. This is able to bring more benefits for me, for my factory, for my workplace, and we will start adopting it much more. And that's what we are actually centralized doing within Siemens as well. You know, when you talk about jen AI, you're looking more at information language models where if they're ninety five percent accurate, it doesn't really matter, right, you may get some inconsistencies in your statements. But on the industrial side, you can't be ninety five percent. You've got to be one hundred percent right, because if you're not one hundred percent accurate, you could have a production line that stops, you could have an energy grid that trips, you could have a train that stops on the way. And this is the way AI is going to impact our lives. But on the other hand, this is the opportunity for AI to start bringing in greater benefits for us.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. You know, there's this picture that all of us imagine that you know, maybe just about a few years from now, we'll have factories that will be run by robots, you know, which will be functioning instead of humans. Do you think something of that sort is going to happen or is there another way how AI is going to be implementing what happens at factories.
Speaker 2: So I don't think we are yet at the stage, and I think we are a long way off from dark factories as they call them, where they run on their own. But again, over there things are happening in the AI and in the software world that are bringing in greater efficiencies. So, you know, you talk about hardware, energy electrification, bringing in hardware machines that run on electrification, and then you have automation that controls the processes and manufacturing processes from the shop flow, and then you have software that actually takes it to the next level, is able to create a nervous system that enables these hardware to work my much more efficiently. And then you've got AI which is way on top of that, which allows all of this to work on its own and to interact. So you can have a building which is getting energy in from the grid, where the energy is adjusted through the use of AI depending on the consumptions that you require.
Speaker 3: In the factory.
Speaker 2: Your automation on the factory floor designs the way your machines move, but at the same time it adjusts and ensures that AI supports you in making those machines much more efficient, in ensuring that your inventory controls are better done, in ensuring that you're much more flexible in preempting trends that are coming in. In integrating and this is the beauty of it. If you can integrate electrification, automation and digitalization onto one platform, that's when you can crack the code, so to speak. And that is what Semens is able to do probably the only company in the world that has an integrated platform as a one tech company that integrates the electrification, automation and digitalization.
Speaker 1: I'm sure a lot of your customers would be looking at that as a package deal and looking at that how end to end solutions can be brought into them just by one company. So when your customers come to you, what is it that they ask?
Speaker 2: So the conversation has changed. It's a very good question. Conversation has changed. Earlier you used to go to your customer and say, here's my product, by my product, correct, right, And now we can go to the customer and we can say, tell us, your customer, what is your biggest challenge?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he.
Speaker 2: Turns around and he says, wastage is my challenge or energy is my challenge.
Speaker 3: Let me give you some examples.
Speaker 2: Forty percent of the cost of running a hotel fixed cost of running a hotel is energy cost. And if you can bring down that energy cost, that helps the whole tail operator. Sixty percent of running a cement plant is energy cost. Now the cost of one bag of cement is half the price of one bag of Ruddi newspapers. Right, So now imagine if you can save ten percent of his energy that goes straight to his bottom line, right, And this is where you can actually do that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: If you can short cycle the time from drug research to drug commercial manufacturing, right, that saves lives. If you can make travel more efficient, that enables people to move around the world. And this is the power that AI has. This is the power linking in hardware and software, combining the virtual and the real has really on.
Speaker 3: Day to day lives of people absolutely, and of industries.
Speaker 1: That's a very interesting point when we talk about how India is envisioning where we want to focus our energies. Over the last couple of years, we've seen infrastructure and manufacturing two growth engines that India's policies are focused on, and that's where a lot of money is flowing into as well. There is a lot of growth on the overall GDP coming in from these two pockets as well. Give us an understanding, how are you contributing in these two mega spaces that India's focused Absolutely, so.
Speaker 2: I spoke earlier about the major increase in energy and India's plan is to do that in a green manner and to bring in much more renewables into the mix of energy here in the country. We want to be fifty percent renewable energy in the country. Now, that means the grid becomes unstable, right, and the moment you have that, you need to stabilize the grid. Because you don't have sun the whole day long, you need to have it in at night, the different weather conditions, et cetera.
Speaker 3: And you need tools to stabilize the grids.
Speaker 2: You need the electricity to come into your homes and to your offices and into your workplaces, into your factories. Now very often, very simply put in the morning, everybody moves from their homes to their workplaces, and energy and the air conditioning system switch off at home, and you need complete different power for your workplaces and your factories. So rather than having double the energy consumption energy at home, generating an energy in your workplace, wouldn't it be ideal to move the energy from one part of the city to the others when there is a need over here and move it back in the evening, right, And this is where smart drids come into account. Grids that can sense weather conditions, can can sense usage patterns, that can predict the way consumption is actually going to have and that is the beauty of where trends in AI and software and engineering can be used in the energy You look at the manufacturing sphere, India's ambition is to go from fifteen percent of GDP manufacturing share to twenty five percent of GDP manufacturing. That's one and a half trillion dollars of CAPEX coming in in the next five to seven years. There's no other country in the world that I know of that has got plans as ambitious as that. But as you go up the food chain in manufacturing, you get more and more complex manufacturing coming in semiconductors.
Speaker 3: Batteries, fuel cells.
Speaker 2: This requires technology at a precision level, which is way above what normal manufacturing will be. Right now, the average productivity level in India is seventy five percent. We have a factory in Germany that has a productivity level of ninety nine point nine nine percent. Now, there's no way you can bridge twenty five percent productivity benefit just through skilling workers. Correct right, technology will be the only enabler, and this is where we are able to bring technology that starts from the design phase to the engineering phase to the manufacturing phase and link it all together. We've just launched a major application called the eigen Engineering and this is this is a tool that helps engineers design, manufacture and a design engineer and operate PLCs. These are programmable logic controllers that design the automation systems on the shop flop. Normally, this is a very complex process, takes a lot of time, et cetera. But you can now interlink all of that into one with a single tool with one hundred percent accuracy because you need one hundred percent productivity. And this is use design. This is done using physics based models, It is done using experience out of multiple layers. And the foundation models over there are completely different and require a lot of.
Speaker 3: Engineering work to create.
Speaker 2: But those are the kind of things that can be done, and those are the kind of things that will make India really competitive. Sure, because a twenty five percent cost gap is it may even be cheaper to manufacture in Europe than it is to manufacture in India. The only way we can be competitive is if we are able to bridge that gap of twenty five percent through technology.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, so, when we talk about industrial AI, I wanted you to help all our viewers understand where is it that you are helping reduce costs, improve productivity, and enhance efficiency. Is it an all three? Is it greater in some area or the other way?
Speaker 3: So they're all interlinked. All the issues that you mentioned are interlinked.
Speaker 2: And I'll bring in a fourth dimension which we should also discuss, and that is sustainability correctly right, which is use less resources and use less energy.
Speaker 3: So that adds the complexity to the cube. Right.
Speaker 2: You want to be flexible in a world which is very volatile where demands are not really known.
Speaker 3: You want to be flexible.
Speaker 2: You want to be productive, so your productivity levels have to be the highest, and you need to be in a way that your quality standards are world class while being sustained having a sustainable product. The only way to do that is through sustainability is through AI and industrial AI as we call it. And how does that really happen? As I said, you've got a building which is a factory. You want to use as optimal amount of energy that you actually need for the manufacturing operations, and AI can help you optimize the energy consumption there bringing in the energy onto the shop floor. Then you need to be able to design the product, design the machines, design and engineer the manufacturing process. And then you want it to loop back and do corrections on its own as the productive production process actually works. And that's what industrial AI can do. So now you can actually go into a digital world, what we call the virtual world. You can design a product, you can design and engineer the machines, You can design and engineer the entire manufacturing process, including what angle people need to bend over in order to manufacture, where their tools need to be put. And then you can have a walk through through through augmented reality to actually see how things are. You can decide you want the air conditioning at a different part of the building, et cetera, et cetera. And this entire process is not done just through CADCM models. This is physics based manufacturing, physics based models that you actually create. Once you have built it in the virtual world, you then start constructing it in the real world right, and that helps you because you have simulated it, because you have done all your testing on in the virtual world, you get it right first time in the real world. Now that brings you up to fifty times fifty percent faster to the market than you would normally do. And with the highest level efficiencies. You get it first time, rightolutely, and then you link the virtual models with your real manufacturing together, so that every time you want to make a tweak, you first test it and do it in the virtual world, and then you do it in the real world.
Speaker 3: And you know what the.
Speaker 2: Impact of everything that you do will be because you've tested it and simulated it in the virtual world, and then you can put it into the real world. And when you are able to link these two together, you are able to slowly raise the optimization levels of productivity because now you can test everything on the virtual world and then bring it to life in the real world. Now, sometime down the line, you realize, hey, I've got a productivity problem. I used to manufacture one hundred pieces. I'm down to ninety five. Why did that happen? Yeah, then you can go back into the virtual world and see where rewind the tape and say, on this date, at this time a software upgrade to a robot did not happen.
Speaker 3: As a result of that, the efficiency.
Speaker 2: Went down on that robot, but that had a knock on efficiency level all through the all through the manufacturing chain. And this is where you can then start getting more efficient. When you get the machines to start learning and have cognitive capabilities, they start improving themselves as well.
Speaker 3: And this is the future of manufacturing.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the marvel of engineering and automation. Absolutely very interesting ideas there. But you talked about something very important and that is sustainability, which is now I believe no more an option for a lot of industries, companies, businesses at large. They have to be sustainable. How are you helping your customers, you know, when they are of course looking at investing big in these new AI automation tools and adopting them at a scale at their businesses, how are you helping them ensure that they also do this sustainably.
Speaker 3: Well, we do this in three ways. We help our customers.
Speaker 2: First measure what their what their emission levels are, then we help them manage them, and then we help them monetize them.
Speaker 3: So measure, manage, and monetize. And what does that really.
Speaker 2: Mean when we can help our customers optimize their energy usage? I mean, the best, the best energy, green energy is the energy that you don't use, right, But if you do have to use energy, can we help you monetize? Can we help you optimize that energy. And this is where it becomes critical in a building, for example, there are energy, there's energy being used everywhere for a whole lot of stuff.
Speaker 3: Can we help you give you the visibility.
Speaker 2: Of where a pump or a valve or a light somewhere is running inefficiently. Right, So we have a command and control center here in Mumbai where we are controlling the energy consumption out of one room, not a very large room, but controlling the energy consumption, monitoring the energy consumption in close to one thousand, two hundred seamen's offices around the world, in one hundred and ninety countries.
Speaker 3: Now what does that mean.
Speaker 2: It means I can compare that there is energy consumption in country A, which has got a bit in our office over there, which has got one hundred people in it, consuming so much energy, and compare it with country B, which has also got one hundred people, but consuming much more. And then you go back and you say why is it consuming more? And you drill down and you say it's consuming more because there's a leakage in the air conditioning system there, or there are lights that have been on in conference rooms longer than they should have. And then you bring in interventions that start saving that. In some countries you have daylight saving, so you can actually time the consumption of energy based on on the on the time of day, you know, and the rates tariff rates based on time of time of day over there. So there are a lot of measures like that that start on the on the energy side. Resource efficiency is the other part of sustainability. How can we optimize the resources that we have, because the more resources you have.
Speaker 3: The more non sustainable you are.
Speaker 2: So and this is where optimization in the manufacturing floor becomes critical. This is where it becomes super important to ensure the more efficient are in manufacturing, the more you are able to produce more with less, and that comes through technology and AI and.
Speaker 1: Everything linked to that absolutely, you know, I also wanted to ask you a lot of businesses and companies have already understood that this is the time that they have to go big on AI and automation, but a lot of them are still experimenting, but they haven't been able to ensure that they can use the current experiments pilot stages and implement it at a scale. Where do you come in there and how are you helping companies to you know, shift from a pilot stage to implement on scale.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: And that's a very important point because it is natural to be hesitant to introduce something when things are working relatively okay already. And the answer is simply, you don't have to do everything all at one time, right. You can slice elephants, so to speak, into small bits and say, let's start with this part of our operations and see whether AI and everything linked to it can can bring us efficiencies over there. There has to be a business case for it, and then you expand it to the next and the next and the next. India sixty million small and medium enterprises and this is something that they need to do because it is critical for them to be competitive. It is critical for a small and medium enterprise who is linked into a supply chain of a larger company to be completely integrated into the efficiencies of that of that supply chain. And the only way they can do it is through industrial AI. And therefore, I think the way to start is take it bit by bit by bit, and there are business cases that can be done. We have, for example, a platform called EMANS Accelerator okay, and this is a platform where it is an open platform, so everybody can participate. It is interoperable, so it's not linked only to our products, et cetera, you know, and it can anybody can come on. You've got use cases on it. So I've got a problem. Let me see what's happening around the world. How have others been able to solve it using technology. I'm an automotive player. I've got a problem in what I'm doing. Let me see if there's others around the world have used technology, how.
Speaker 3: Have they done it?
Speaker 2: And then you can go in, you can see the use case and then say, hey, this makes sense for me. And then we have partnered with the series of partners, and we continue to partner with people who turn around and say we've implemented this solution, so we can introduce them to them, and then you can decide do you want to do it with a partner, do you want to do it with our own And then we've got the products there which you could use our products, you could use anyone else's products. But effectively, this is a platform that enables small and medium enterprises to come up, see what is possible, and then take it to the next level.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you know, I also wanted to understand what goes on next. We're already looking at how India is eyeing twenty forty seven as the time when India shifts to become a developed economy. So much of history, of course, for a company like yours, has seen the transformation of the country. You know, you've mentioned a lot of examples as well, and how we've seen the growth so far. But going from here to that twenty forty seven journey, what is it that it's exciting you the most. What is it that you're keeping on your top priority? How do you think Semens will be taking the part of India's future growth story?
Speaker 3: So let me put it this way.
Speaker 2: India has plans to digitalize its manufacturing, to get a smart manufacturing so to speak, right and to become a manufacturing.
Speaker 3: Up of the world.
Speaker 2: We have a business called Digital Industries. India has plans to modernize its railways and modernize its mobility systems. We have a business called Mobility. India needs smart infrastructure and is growing its smart infrastructure. We have got a business called smart Infrastructure. India wants affordable healthcare and Siemens has got Semens Health in yours, which brings in affordable healthcare. So I think we are well placed as a company to address all the vision that Semens has and India is working on this in a very measured manner. You can't go to manufacturing unless you have the foundation of infrastructure in place, and that foundation has started to be built. We've seen proof of it already in the last five seven years. The pace at which construction is happening in the country. Highways, airports, roads, freight corridors, railways are being built has been unprecedented anywhere else in the world. So India is focusing on the infrastructure. Once the infrastructure is robust, that's when manufacturing kicks in right, and this is where we will be able to leap frog into the latest technologies. And Indian entrepreneurs have demonstrated they can do it to use all these technologies that I've spoken about industrial AI in particular, to really make them much more competitive. And I think that's the exciting part. We are a country that is growing at a pace that has never been done before. We are a country that has got an ambitions to get to a level that has never been achieved before. We are for Semens, India is the fastest growing country in the Semen's world. So I think there's exciting times ahead of us. Technology is moving at a pace that has never been at which we are today, and I think put all of that together, we could never have been in a better spot as India than at this point in time. Look at the geopolitics where we are an oasis in the middle of everything else that's happening. So the world is really looking at India, and I do believe India's time has come.
Speaker 1: India's time has come. I think that's a fantastic note to end with, But I still want to ask you for your own aspirations at Semens India. What is it that you're penciling from here on? How are the next you know, half a decade or full decad going to pan out.
Speaker 2: We will be a part of India's growth story right there are.
Speaker 3: On.
Speaker 2: If I look at the mobility area, for example, the amount of high speed trains and Mount of one debars, the amount of signaling electrification that needs to be done, we will be a part of that. When you look at the smart infrastructure, the energy transition story that India is in, we will be a.
Speaker 3: Part of that. We will be central to that. When you look at.
Speaker 2: The manufacturing aspirations that India has and the fact that we want to be a major alternative manufacturing hub, we will be central to that. So I think we have got the foundations in place. We've got twenty five factories, as you mentioned, over forty thousand people in the country. We are a listed company in the country as well, so we are very well embedded in the ethos of the country. Our commitment to the country has been demonstrated one hundred and sixty years already, and we're very.
Speaker 3: Excited about the future.
Speaker 2: I've never had as much attention as I have right now from the global board of Semens, with all the support that we can get.
Speaker 3: So I think it's now.
Speaker 2: Exciting times and you will see a lot happening in Semens in the year's AAED already looking forward.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for this fantastic conversation and all those insights. I wish you all the very best for the next one hundred and sixty years for an equal and more amount of exciting journey that you've had so far, and of course India is looking at companies like yours to of course lead it from the front.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for being with us, Thank you for having me