Speaker 1: Your morning news, on the way to work and all day.
Speaker 2: In fault check in throughout the day.
Speaker 1: Fifty five krc D Talk Station eight oh five.
Speaker 3: Here at fifty five krc DE Talk Station, Brian Thomas. Welcoming, and I've been looking forward to this discussion all morning.
Speaker 1: It is a pleasure to have on.
Speaker 3: William Elliott hazel Grove, the national best selling author of ten novels fourteen narrative nonfiction titles. He was the Ernest Hemingway Writer in residence. This is a cool thing. He got to actually write in the attic of Ernest Hemingway's birthplace. He's written articles for like every major news outlet, USA Today, Smithsonian Magazine, and a whole bunch of other publications. He's been featured on NPR, New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune. I could go on, but I want to talk about his new book Dead Air the Night orson Wells Terrified America. William hazel Grove, it is a pleasure heavy on the fifty five KRS morning show.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: I'm familiar with this story. I've seen the movie. I've seen the original movie, I saw the remake of it. I've also seen the sort of documentary movie about the chaos that ensued as a consequence of hgu Well's airing this on air radio play War of the Worlds with nineteen thirty eight. I guess, as you point out October thirtieth, Halloween Eve, But I want you to set the stage for my listeners for an understanding of how this was such a widespread radio show. It was a play on the air. They had actors doing different parts, sound effects, all that live in studio at CBS Studio in New York.
Speaker 1: What was the nature of radio back then?
Speaker 3: Because right now, of course, anybody can get any program anywhere in the world with the Internet. But I was wondering was this a syndicated thing that it went across to America? I mean, was the power feed from CBS New York City's radio studio so big like our local station LW that it went on over multiple states? How did this program get out?
Speaker 2: Oh? Well, yeah, great question. Actually they had one hundred and twenty six affiliates at the time, went across the country. So you know, that's the first misnomer about this War of the Worlds that people like, Oh, it's just restricted to the East, because that's is not true. It went right across the country and was picked up by all these stations. And you know again I when I wrote this book, I did it by newspapers. I used the research of all these new jobs, all these small towns. The panic just emanated out and so they were literally running for the hills in California, Missouri, you know, all the way down to the south, down in Mississippi. It was just you know, it traveled across the country. As you said, Radium was a new medium at this time that you know, everybody had a station because what happened was it's a dayton Land crisis with Hitler wanting to invade Czechoslovakia. It just occurred two weeks before. So there was these breaking news bulletins going off all the time, and and Wells used that in his show. He used breaking news bulletins. He made it as realistic as possible, and he listened to it today even today. But so I had someone son and listened to it. You think it's actual news. Yeah, you know, you know Martians Linkedy.
Speaker 3: Now in terms of H. Jewells at the time, I guess he was an unknown entity, imnorities what H Dwells and up accomplishment, but accomplishing. But at this time was was he a newbie kind of guy that nobody never heard of?
Speaker 2: Oh you mean Orton? Yeah, Uh, he had some fame, he had been he had produced these two plays. Uh, he only had about a million listeners. But on this night, because his show was a sustaining program, he didn't have a sponsor, all right, sort of for it was for the good of the country, right. They had this thing then, and so the the you know, playing at the same time Waster Charlie McCarthy Hour, Edgar Berg and Charlie McCarthy, which had twelve million listeners. Okay, so what happens during during the Charlie McCarthy hour They go to Nelson Edia singer and guess what happens with What happens now everybody starts surfing the dial and they end up on War of the World in progress after the station you know, identification, and everybody's like, oh my god, you know, and growers and in New Jersey, our Martians have landed and you know they're using poison gas and heat raising killing everybody, and you know, so Well's got supercharged that night. Also radios in cars had just become a thing. You know, all these cars now had radios, and this was a very new phenomenon, you know, driving around with a car radio. So people in the cars for the first time, we're hearing this, and they started just driving like maniacs. The police didn't know what was going on. Everybody started beating, getting accidents and going through red lights and you know, not stopping for any So it was a kind of a perfect storm, you know, on this this October thirtieth, nineteen thirty eighth that this you know, broadcast took hold and was like a tsunonymi of terror across the country.
Speaker 3: Now before the terror started breaking out in the panic in the streets and blah blah blah, it's my understanding.
Speaker 1: Correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: Though, at some point Orson Wells was told that, dude, you've got to let the world know that this isn't real and that you are broadcasting a play. So he interrupted the show to and make that announcement. Is that part of my recollection?
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 2: Actually what happened is Wells is doing the show. A guy named Davison Taylor, a CBS executive, starts getting all these calls saying where do we go? The Martians are abating, where can we do? And they realized, well, this is out of control. He then leaves the control room and tries to get in the studio. John Houseman, orson Wall's partner, holds the door shut. I won't let him in because they know what they're doing. Right. Then the police arrived and they come into the control room. Well sees them and they try to get in the studio and John Houston doesn't let them. Why because Wells wants to get to the eight thirty eight minute mark where who has to take a station break? So for thirty eight minutes after the initial intro, okay, there's no break. And by the way, War of the Worlds, the first half is where everything happens. The second half is a snooze, just Wells walking around saying is this terrible to the earthless concenriat? But the first half is all the fireworks. Oh wow. Well Orson knew exactly what he was doing. You know, he was he asked he you know, he's that kind of guy who would ask you to look through his telescope and say do you see these stars and then thump you on the head and safety as see him now, and he's that kind of you know.
Speaker 1: Now, did he okay?
Speaker 3: And so that's kind of the predicate. So he obviously was obstruction, and obstruction is in stopping it while it was going on real time.
Speaker 1: I get that part. But did he know? Do you think he knows?
Speaker 3: Or is there any reports that he knew in advance that it was going to cause this type of reaction.
Speaker 2: I don't think he thought the explosion would be as big as it did. But Wells was determined. He had studied the Hindenburg recording of when Hennemburg crash. W L Chicago had on the spot reporter who freaked out, and so well studied that, and so in his the guy named Carl Reddick is on the spot reporter with the Martians. The Martians come out of their cylinder and they zap him and kill him on the air. And my book's called dead Air. And the reason for all that is because then Wells in the studio holds up his arms for everybody, everybody, musicians, the actors, everybody to not say a word. And as you know, dead air on the radio is just taboo. Well, for six seconds he holds that silence. After this reporter dies on the air, people freaked out. They thought, oh my god, we just heard this guy get exact.
Speaker 3: And he died, oh right, it'd be like right in the middle, like you mentioned the Heinburg all the humanity, the humanity, and then gone exactly.
Speaker 2: He made he made radio part of the play. He took he wrote the third wall. We're used to that now, you know. You see passa cards all of a sudden out in space, so turn and talk to the camera. That's what I was did with this. Suddenly radio was part of the drama.
Speaker 3: Well, in terms of the reaction, okay, we know this set up. Now, we know he knew at some point that people were going crazy thinking this was true. I note that the military actually also got involved. We had actual our armed forces reacted on some level to this, believing it to be true as well.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. What happened was they had to put out a release telling the armed forces, this isn't this isn't real, this doesn't happen. And because people kept saying I heard the president says, well, Orson had this actor imitate the Interior secretary, the Interior and he said, you know what, you know what to do this guy did a dead on an Fdr. Franken Dollan and Roosevelt with all the speech tags and you listen to this now and you're like, oh, that's Roosevelt. So people are like, I've heard the President say this. The Martians have incinerated our army since you know, it was time compression suddenly where you know, eight thousand men got killed. And then we're with a bomber pilot who's died by me in on the Martians. I mean it's almost a minute. So when people panic, they lost their sense of time because later people said, well, how can abody believe that all that could happen? But you know, people weren't thinking, and Welles was brilliant because here's the thing you want to know. This is a broadcast, and a broadcast it starts with dinner music at a hotel in New York. Then they cut from that to we've got breaking news, something's crashed at Grovers on New Jersey, and then back to the dinner music, then back to the you know, New Jersey, We've got breaking news. The Martians are out in the shooting people or the heat rate. So people once you bought into the music, you thought, okay, this is real, and then okay, this is real. So you know, you were in the tunnel and then it was off to the races.
Speaker 3: Oh my word, and it's and you know, my my brain, I logical, reasonable brain. Then again, I'm surrounded by like nine thousand different news resources. I never believe anything when I first read it. I want to go out in the world and look around to see if there's any credibility associated with whatever random person says something. But you mentioned the it's just the infancy of radio. Even car radios are new. What about the idea of just changing the station to see if anybody else is reporting about the world coming to an end and if you don't hear it elsewhere, doesn't that sort of reduce the credibility of what's going on in CBS at that moment?
Speaker 2: Well, you know this happens. People started serving back. But if you've ever been in a truly panic situation, you start doing strange things. Little things become very hard to do, like put in the key in your car and start in your car. Well, people didn't. They started to surf the down. Radio reception was iffy, especially in cars. Right, So there's a general with his wife in the Redwood Forest in California. They hear the broadcasts, They try and get an ounsation, They can't pick anything up. Oh my god, the Martians have knocked everybody out there. They run out of gas in the woods. They sit there and wait to get incinerated by the Martians. I mean, so this happened people, because I just got named Cantrell, who did a big report on this too, you know, immediately after it happened. He was a Yale professor and he interviewed all these people, and that was one of the questions. Well then you go on the down and said, yeah, we did, but we you know, we couldn't find anything else going on, or you know, some people said they did find other people reporting on also too. Terror was spread by the phone. People got on the phone said, you know, Aunt Martha, you know, the world's ending. The Martians have come. And then so they said the what's sports in Manhattan, which are half block long, just lit up, just totally lit up. So it was being disseminated to other people who never heard the broadcast. So it takes on that, you know, yeah, yeah, and everybody starts running, people running the theater saying, it's the end of the world. They're running the churches stands the end of the world. People are confessing to affairs to their lives. And you know, I got something to tell you. You know the broadcast.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, how you laugh about it now? But I can only imagine the panic and the terror. Well, was there any actual death? It seemed to recall the movie about the Panic. There was a scene where there was a father who was getting ready to shoot his children before the Martians were able to get them, sort of like to you know, stop the tragedy with a tragedy. Did anybody actually die as a consequence of this broadcast?
Speaker 2: Okay? It was a very famous story of a man coming him and his wife is sitting at the kitchen table with a vial of arsenic. You know, who's going to kill herself? And what are you doing? She said, I'd rather go this way than by the Martians. But as far as I answered that, two years after this, Arsenal els is on a barn tour. He goes into hotel cancus of another gentleman. A man attacks him a viciously. They pulled him off, and the man's screen time said I flow. I'd kill you if I ever saw you. They do an investigation and find out his wife did commit suicide on the night of the broadcast.
Speaker 3: Wow, well, I'll tell you what, William Hazel Grow. It has been a real pleasure talking with you about this amazing story here on the fifty five CARC Morning Show. Your book is linked on my blog page. My listener's going to go at fifty five cars dot com to get a copy of Dead Air The Night that orson Wells Terrified America. William, great job man. I just liked the thrilling conversation. And thanks for writing the book. It's going to be a real treat to read.
Speaker 2: Oh great, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: My pleasure man, My pleasure eight nineteen fifty five. Caresee the talk station power of media? I guess it still exists in some degree. Don't go away, coming up by heart mediaviation expert Jay rad Life about him in the hour, will be right back
Speaker 1: Fifty five k r C A U line