Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 4: And the man wearing Dennis Curran's old number six makes it too nothing With John Taylor, I was just gonna say, underrated egg, deviled egg and Rick Dolly Wall, how are you gonna go on the coach At eight o'clock tonight, sit down and let's.
Speaker 2: Put it in hers Donnie and Dollie.
Speaker 4: Ten o'clock in downtown Vatkum Brother Paul Carson Studio. Thanks for tuning in, folks. It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor, along with Rick Dolly Wall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man that the controls our director. The voice of God is Derek Wong. How are you Lovely? Couldn't be better? What a great game that was to watch last night. The Canucks more than hanging in there with the top team in the National Hockey League yest the Minnesota while the top team in the National Hockey League three two in overtime. I believe I've said this before on the show, but I've been to the Excel Energy Center to watch a game. It is the most underrated and Rick Hackett talked about this afterwards in the postgame interviews. It is the most underrated building in the National Hockey League. It is vibrant. Obviously, the people in Minnesota know a whole lot about hockey. They haven't had a whole lot to cheer about. But it's a fun place to watch a game. And you know, pardon the pun, but the energy really came through at the Excel Energy Center last night. That was part of it. And then there was what was going on on the ice.
Speaker 5: I gutsy character when Donnie, game six of a six game road trip, you're playing the top team in the NHL. You got no Dampko, you got no Miller, You've been missing heronic for three I don't think many people thought they would win last night, and one of their better periods was in the third period, and you think that'd be one of their first they'd be so dead tired, and then in overtime, you know, Donnie, they should have won. Uh A referee was junk, but UH, just give credit where credits due. Uh, This is a well coached team done shorthanded and and they came through with an absolute wonderful road trip, nine on a twelve points.
Speaker 4: What part did you and not like about the referee in the third period? The Peterson tripped on the breakaway, the erics and neck breakaway?
Speaker 5: Okay, is that it X no ericsk the head shot on shoe goes. What about overtime Garland gets tripped up. I know the Canucks got up the ice, but if they would have got the power play there, the referee was right there.
Speaker 3: Who's the referee down again? Sutherland? That's right? And what are the Canucks in southern his last ten games? Oh? Eight and two? You piece it together?
Speaker 4: Do you honestly think that Kelly Summer his way to victimize the Canucks?
Speaker 3: Fact said it?
Speaker 4: Facts or facts are waiting too in his last ten games done and he goes out of his way to make the little difficult.
Speaker 3: Those words did come out.
Speaker 4: Well, Actually, you know what we do have and there's so much going on today. Oh, we do have an example of something that didn't go the Canucks way officiating wise yesterday. So hopefully we'll get into that that hit. I'm sure what I'm talking not good. It was a headshot. Let's get to the hottights and we'll talk more about what happened at the Xcel Energy Center. We're going to the Excel Energy Center right now, Derek Rock and roll my friend with the highlights. Excel Energy Center, Saint Paul, Minnesota. Midway through the first Pirie Quinn he was on the power play at the point, shot and the goal, sixth of the season for the former Michigan Wolverine won nothing. Second period, Wild are going to break out Marcus Felino left side. Felino returns a pass to Frederick Goudreau, high glove on Kevin lancoln and one won the score and what they call the state of hockey. Late in that Middle stands the Carson Sussi at the left point.
Speaker 3: His shot hits the skate.
Speaker 4: Peterson with the nifty feet to Jake Depress top shelf from ump keeps the peanut butter Depress with eight goals on the Kaducks six game road trip, eleventh overall, two to one. Van Wild despawn early third, Pederson tries to clear right to Jake Middleton, and like a young Rick Middleton.
Speaker 3: He shoots and scores two to two.
Speaker 4: We're got all overtime, and early in the extra frame, Careal Caprice off springs Joel Ericson Eck in alone on Kevin lancoln and Ericson Eck denied by the Lankinian one. It stays two to two, dying seconds in crazy sequence. Besser post play goes the other way, Marco Rossi two on one with capriceoff, Besser back checking Rossi to capriceoff. Mess ripples his sixteenth wild goover to the Kaducks three to two. Kaducks host Columbus on Friday, oh start of a six game homestand uh for the Kanucks.
Speaker 5: Well, Donny, what can the Knucks do? Should they stay in a hotel on the sixteen homesteads? Should they change keep the same uniforms? What do they gotta do because at home that's not the same team.
Speaker 3: Well, here here's the problem. Do you what do you do?
Speaker 4: Here's the problem with the Canucks staying at a hotel at least at the very start of this road trip. And for people who don't know, oftentimes when a team is playing this goes for a lot of sports, not just hockey. Oftentimes, when times when a team is playing much better on the road than it does at home. The idea is the coach will say, or the GM will say, hey, how about staying at a hotel. That's right, You simulate a road trip, that's right. The problem is their their first game is Friday against Columbus on the homestand and then Sunday one o'clock against Tampa Bay. Yeah, Taylor swifts in town, and I know the Canuck cent I know. Francesco, you go on about this a lot. Ryan, I always got a lot of money. But did you see what hotel rooms are going for this weekend?
Speaker 3: Tell us? I don't know. Oh, double triple, double triple. It's a lot.
Speaker 5: And even Francisco, I think with you think the owner of this hockey club, who's worth billions, is worried about hotel prices. Come on, maybe they could stay at the Accent in Burg. That's where we during the playoffs, right and the sky trains right there. Or if they just have a sleepover at the rink.
Speaker 4: Hey, not a bad idea, Not a bad idea. And Taylor's across the street, of course, not Yeah, that Rogers Arena.
Speaker 6: Yeah, although did you see for that wrestling event they had the merch in BC Place for Survivor series.
Speaker 3: What like merch like that alone?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah inside BC Place, which I thought was I never seen that done before moving on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh let's let's go here. Uh.
Speaker 4: Rick talk it after the game, and you could tell post game that well, first of all, you could tell that it had been a long road trip, but but secondly that he's pretty impressed by what his what his guys hap it up to. So here's the head coach on a successful road trip ending with a tough loss.
Speaker 7: Like I said, we were solid, We had a We just played a solid, solid game. Mean, the guys are doing a good job blocking out noise and we're just doing it. You know, we're just moving along every game. I like the the attitude. I like I thought the last day we had some good video. Guys were engaged, they're asking a lot of questions.
Speaker 8: So it was good.
Speaker 3: It was good.
Speaker 7: It's as good to get home though. It nine points out of twelve. You know, it's a it's a tough trip.
Speaker 8: About the overall style of the game, the environment, it seemed like it was pretty physical, not a lot of space.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 7: It's a great billing to plan for great you know, loud fans, you know, like our fans. It's it's it's a nice venue to plan a little playoff hockey atmosphere. But yeah, that's you know, they're in first place. And it came down to, you know, one shot.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 4: And he talked about the building and how special it is and how underrated it is. And part of the reason for that is because there hasn't been a whole lot of success. There not a lot of playoff success going back to two thousand when the franchise started.
Speaker 3: But there's there's a lot there.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Donnie did talk its smile, give us a smile. You went four to one and one, nine out of twelve points. I'm not saying he little grumpy.
Speaker 4: But you are saying he looked talking. What else do you want your team is? They just lost Rick. They had the road trip four one on one. It was said he said, showed me some smile, laughed a little bit.
Speaker 3: Then then you would laugh.
Speaker 4: He if he would have laughed or smiled, he was asked, I gotta get the trip. You'd be upset that he was laughing, smiling after they lost.
Speaker 3: Not happy. I get it. It was a hell of a road trip. It really it was.
Speaker 4: I'll agree with you, but he's not remembering the actually he did. But you know, at that time, front center on his mind is the fact they lost that game against His team played well and they outshot the wild They played a very bottom mine though they lost. I'm gonna say something here that's not going to be I don't think it's going to be that popular. And I'm getting older, so you know, maybe not as sharp as they used to be.
Speaker 3: A lot of.
Speaker 4: People say that in the Delaney's okay, tying Langley in box.
Speaker 3: Now I understand.
Speaker 4: I'm starting to like Carson Susie.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: As a hockey player, he gets under the skin of the opposition. I played twenty minutes last night. The defense as a whole has had to step up because there's there's no Philip Heroonic hanging around. And he was playing his old team last night, Carson Sussie he got an assist. I mentioned just over twenty minutes, three shots, five attempts, a couple of hits, and and he was bothering the while. And he's and he's done that in previous games this season. I'm noticing him a lot and there's been look lucky. I know everybody's ripped on Susie and Myers this season, but going back a few games, I'm noticing him more in a positive way. And you'll go ahead, go ahead and critical not at all.
Speaker 5: Him and Myers have taken a beat in this year. Myers and Susie the pairing, Donnie, it hasn't been good, but since Heronica went out, look at the guys who have stepped up, and you nailed it. Susie's won. But I just love what Noah Juwlson's doing, Donnie. Yeah, look at the ice time Branstrom to Branstrom in the other guy last night Day Orna, he played seventeen minutes five block shots. The Jewlson's got eight block shots. These guys and Branstrom. When you're third pair and your bottom guys are getting fifteen, sixteen, seventeen minutes, that is a really good thing. Now you don't have to overplay Quinn Hughes. The blue line last night was tremendous, led by obviously Quinn Hughes, but you nailed this. Susie's been better. Myers has given your first pair of minutes with Hughes. But the guys on the back end have been great.
Speaker 4: Last night, I just like that Sussie's chirping away and I've enjoyed from Viking Alberta. I'm enjoying watching the big kid, the Canadian kid lately more so than early the season. Maybe I'm alone in that, but there's something there that there's something there. And the other thing last night, the wild was so impressive, the big, fast, talented, your presofs there, the leading point getter, Philip Gusterson's so steady in goal. It'll be interesting and there's a lot happening today. Later on we're going to find out what the rosters look like for the four nations face Off Series face off tournament that's coming up later Sweden and Finland. Those rosters will be announced at eleven o'clock USA.
Speaker 3: And Canada at three thirty.
Speaker 4: Markstrom would be I guess, would he be the biggest name I guess amongst Swedish goaltenders. And then, but what happens with Gustafson, who's been arguably the best goaltender in the league this year.
Speaker 5: Well, he's been there, he's right now. Gustafson's goals against average donety you say percentage number one of the NHL Canucks found out why last night. This is a good goaltender. But Donnie quickly, I expect Miller, Hughes, lancoln and Peterson to be the Canucks name today at the Four Nations.
Speaker 4: And yeah, exactly so o'clock as they cater to Sweden and Finland the people in Europe, so there they get the announcement at eleven hour time, so it'll be during the body of the show. Then later on three point thirty Canada and the USA, and you know, JT. Miller, we understand it's going to be on that American roster. Interesting obviously, and all the indications are and we talked about this yesterday. Connor Badard will not be on the Canadian roster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he won't be.
Speaker 5: He hasn't had a great season, Donny and uh.
Speaker 3: Eroth van kind.
Speaker 5: I want to see the Canadian centers and see if they're all six four six six two.
Speaker 4: Well, there'll be a lot of centers and a lot of the centers will have to play on the wing. You know, if I caut just take a second get away from the Canucks here for a bit. But with Connor Badard, I just think there's a whole lot of frustration there. For if there's somebody's here here here in Vancouver coming back home and didn't perform the way he wanted to. But and I'm not saying this is an excuse at all, but there hasn't been a whole lot of success in Chicago, right, So we'll agree on that. Yeah, go back two years before that. He didn't have much success in Regina either.
Speaker 3: The Pats weren't great.
Speaker 4: Past they were they made didn't make the playoffs one year, made the playoffs the next year. I couldn't have the sequence, but they didn't. They didn't win a playoff series. They didn't make the playoffs one year, then they were eliminated in the first round. So there hasn't been a lot of winning for him, and it seems to be weighing on him, that would be my guess. Maybe understandably so. But you're a pro.
Speaker 3: You have to fight through that.
Speaker 5: Hey, there's a reason why you went to Chicago. They were dead last in the NHL. Guess what the other thing? We had time to talk about another subject here? Huh.
Speaker 3: Well, I just.
Speaker 4: Want to say this and we'll delve into it more. I you know, Park mccarr. I go on Twitter last night or probably yesterday afternoon. I see this Philip peronic tweet and I'm thinking to myself, this is a mistake. They're going to have to correct this. We had time for this for two two seconds here, Ryan, if you don't mind this this tweet. I'm reading it and I'm thinking, okay, well, moments from now they'll they'll correct it. It was a statement from Patrick Helvin and Patrick Kelvin announcing that Philip heronic On went a successful lower body procedure and will not require surgery on his upper body injury. Chronicle will be out approximately eight weeks. And of course everybody saw what happened in Pittsburgh and they know his history. This was all about his shoulder, his problem right shoulder, No surgery required, but there's something wrong with his lower body. What's up, knee, hip, what's going on?
Speaker 5: So we're trying to figure out that. But the fact the lower body isn't a major surgical procedure where it's going to be beyond.
Speaker 3: Eight weeks, so obviously it is.
Speaker 5: It is, yeah, so that both these situations are going to be solved in eight weeks. And guess what don they're National Hockey League players, they play hurt.
Speaker 3: If I told you what J. T.
Speaker 5: Miller has gone through this year injury was, you'd be pretty shocked that he's still playing.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're not getting what I'm saying. What do you say?
Speaker 4: I'm saying this lower body situation came out of nowhere?
Speaker 3: That did. You're not surprised that.
Speaker 5: Some players announced that they're hurt. Like some guy did that he had tender knighters in his knee. Some guys don't announce they played hurt. Last year, Philip Perronic after the playoffs said, I wasn't hurt to the point where they need surgery, well to the point where it could be. But hold it a second procedure. You make it sound like you you need to hold a second. It doesn't say lower body surgery a procedure. Sometimes these guys have a procedure where they just cut it open and go down look at what the problem is. So I don't know, but what I was told last night that the lower body issue is not a major one, obviously because he's gonna be back in eight weeks from both but he guess what he deals with stuff on the lower body too. I gotta give heron a credit. Last year after the playoffs, he had elbow issues. He was banged up in the playoffs, and that's what he got in the fight with Patterson because he didn't want to announce what see.
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 4: I don't give him any rope because of what he how we attacked our friend Jeff Patterson.
Speaker 3: I love Patterson no more than anybody else. Finally, you don't know that's why.
Speaker 4: That's why you say Kyle Ryan's all upset because I went, we're overboard.
Speaker 3: Now we're overboard.
Speaker 4: I went, we went over by two seventh. He's upset, Like I said, a lot to talk about DTMZ. Is it just me coming up in the eleven o'clock our Buck Pierce uh officially named twenty eighth head coach in BC Lions history. He's going to join us just after eleven o'clock, and around that time we'll find out about those Swedish and Finnish rosters for the Four Nations. A big ridther Twitter guy later this hour, if he gets out of his grouchy mood and up next to talk more about hockey, and we want to talk to John about what happened last night. John Shannon I'm talking about. We want to talk to John about what happened last night in Calgary. It was it was gripping hard to watch the Gudro tribute Calgary versus of us Johnny Goodru's two NHL teams. The family was there and it was it was unfortunate, but they did an impressive job. So we'll talk to John about that. In All Matters NHL, All Matters Hockey. That's next. Thanks so much for tuning in, folks.
Speaker 3: At Menton.
Speaker 4: You have something on Tom Vylander as well. We'll get to that in a bit. Thanks for tuning in, folks. John's next, Donnie Dolly the Team.
Speaker 3: I check Donnie and Dollie.
Speaker 9: The Team is supported by Ableauctions dot CA Closing your Business where you can help.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 5: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 4: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, Please email sales at able Auctions dot CA. That's sale at a b l E Auctions dot call. Have our guests today brought to you by our title sponsor Able Auctions, Able Auctions dot C. A wild over the Canucks three to two in overtime. More on that later. I'll touch on it here is well. John Shannon joins US now NHL analyst, a hockey storyteller.
Speaker 3: John, Thanks for doing this, sir. How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm great, boys, how are you very good?
Speaker 4: Tell us why you're in Pittsburgh?
Speaker 5: Cool?
Speaker 10: So tonight in Pittsburgh. Penguins played here last night beat Florida in overtime. But tonight is the US Hockey Hall of Fame and the Least Patrick Award, and my old friend Sam Rosen is winning the Lester Patrick Award for contributions to the Games in the United States in his fortieth year. Is the voice of the Rangers. His last year his voice of the Rangers. So I thought i'd come down and support.
Speaker 4: Him, iconic broadcaster in National Hockey League circles. I think I've got this right. Matt Cullen and Kevin Stevens, former Penguins, among the people going in today to the.
Speaker 3: US Hockey Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: Hey, John, I mentioned the Wild beating the Cannocks three to two in overtime. Minnesota Wild on top of the National Hockey League standings. Bill Garran, who by the way, is also the GM of the American entry in the Foreignations Tournament, does he get enough credit for the job he's done, given all the dead money he's got he has to deal with.
Speaker 10: I think people are I don't know about credit, but I think people are in awe of what Bill has done.
Speaker 1: I mean I think they go, Wow, how can this happen?
Speaker 10: And I think you just have to know the type of person that Bill is to understand that he can get the best out of people. And he's made some good decisions. Now he inherited some pretty good players, Let's be honest. You know, Chuck Fletcher drafted pre Saw Spurgeon was a Fletcher draft. But at the same time, the changes and the patients that Garan has shown and the vision that Garan has shown with the buyouts of Pariza and Suitor, have put this franchise in good stead. You know, they were you know, the Favor trade with Los Angeles is going to go down as one of the best trades in the history of the franchise because Favor is going to be a star in this league for a long time.
Speaker 1: So Garan, I.
Speaker 10: Do think he's starting to get credit, but I think people are more going, how is he doing this? This is absolutely amazing. Knowing full well, next year, guys, they're going to have almost fifteen million dollars more to spend if they spend the cap.
Speaker 4: Yep John, last night in Calgary tough to watch the Gudro.
Speaker 1: Tribute really really tough. In fact, I.
Speaker 10: Went back and watched it again this morning, just because it was one of those nights that will go down in history. People who were at the Dome will remember that they were there the night that the Gudros were there. Sean Monaghan in tears on the opening face off, both teams, surrounding the family.
Speaker 1: In so many ways.
Speaker 10: I mean, there are thirteen hundred and twelve regular season games on the NHL schedule, Donnie, the game meant nothing. With all due respect to the two points Calvary got, the game meant nothing. The ceremony was absolutely awesome, was covered beautifully, was presented beautifully, and it brought back a tremendous amount of emotion I think for everybody if you weren't welling up or crying by the end of the ceremony.
Speaker 1: Man, oh Man, oh Man, I.
Speaker 10: Think we have to go and go to the Wizard of Oz and find a heart for you.
Speaker 3: John.
Speaker 5: We just got a quote from jim Rutherford this morning on the JT. Miller situation and all the outside noise, the ridiculous rumors.
Speaker 3: I gotta read it to you.
Speaker 5: Rutherford said, don't start making stuff up on someone in his situation. That's disrespectful. People that do this for fun or for a living, just go back to making up trade rumors. The conducts are not happy. Now there's two sides of the story. They haven't really offered up a lot of clarity, and we live in a society that just loves negative news. So what do you think of Rutherford's comments on the Miller situation.
Speaker 10: Well, I'm glad that Jimmy came out and said something. You know, too many organizations in sports put up brick walls when it comes to information and all of everything that swirls around, particularly in the world of social media.
Speaker 1: And all the different platforms.
Speaker 10: And I think at the same time, he's showing a great deal of support for JT. And what Miller is going through. So it was the right thing to do. It was the right thing to say. And it's one of those ones where I think we all get a little, you know, out ahead of our skis at times and start to talk and create content. But for me, from the beginning, this was one where it's almost.
Speaker 1: It's off base. You have to stay away from it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 10: People ask you about it and you just say, I don't know, and I quite frankly, I just want JT. Miller to be well and to be better and to get through whatever he's going through and contribute for the Vancouver Canucks.
Speaker 5: Well, I'll tell you one thing else, Ruther, it should be very happy with his hockey club. They just had one hell of a road trip for one of one without demp go without Miller and Eronics miss threes out eight weeks. It seems like all this adversity John didn't start. I know, he was an easy trip. Five out of the six were not playoff teams, but still got to win the games.
Speaker 1: Got to win the games. I thought last night was a spectacular game.
Speaker 11: Guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I loved it.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 10: It was a playoff atmosphere almost you know, to me, there was two of the marquee players in the game, and Hughes and caprice Off going ahead to head at times, uh and and you know, Hughes scores the first one and capriz Off scores the last one. So from from that perspective, to me, it was an electric night in Saint Paul. This this is a hockey team that has no problems winning on the road. Now they've got to solve the problem of winning at home. And I don't I don't know if there's any you know, coaches and managers try different things, put the guys in hotels the night before home games. I'm not sure anything like that would work with this hockey club. But that's the thing that I think if you're looking at what's going on in Vancouver, you have to say, Okay, how do we play better at home and how do we collect points at home? Because that's something that has been.
Speaker 4: Like John, I, like thousands of others follow you on Twitter, and you had this post on Twitter recently, what will the upcoming Four Nations face.
Speaker 3: Off be for you? You gave people.
Speaker 4: Two options, must see TV or a vacation from hockey. It over two thousand votes, it was pretty much fifty fifty. Did you not think Must See TV would run away with this?
Speaker 10: I thought Must See TV would win the day. I think by February, must See TV will win the day. You know, it's it's only the first week in December, and you know, we have other things going on in our lives with the holidays coming and New Year and and and following all these hockey clubs. So by the time we do get to the break in the first week in February, I do think there will be momentum, you know, I think that that's something that just comes. It's you know, it's it's a placeholder, guys. This is not the World Cup, this is not the Olympics. This is a placeholder for what will be in the future, with hopefully a lot more teams than just four. But it's going to be great hockey. I mean the two rivalries, you know, the Canada USA rivalry, We've seen it, you know, flourish with women's hockey with only two teams of any magnitude. And the Swedes and the Finns have a tremendous rivalry too. So I'm excited about the quality of the game. I expect it to be physical. I expected to be fast, and I do expect by the time the end of January comes and the hype is really going full throttle, the games in Boston and the games in Montreal are going to be must see TV.
Speaker 4: I don't I don't want to see. I don't want to have a vacation from hockey in July and August. I don't know where these people are coming from, exactly a surprised.
Speaker 10: So the one thing I would say about and both of you guys know it on the on the on the platforms, it's.
Speaker 1: Really easy to be negative. It's really easy to be negative.
Speaker 10: So the guys that are really gung ho about this thing are not necessarily ones that pipe up. So I expected the negativity. I didn't expect it to be fifty to fifty, but I do expect by the time we get to February it will be probably closer to seventy five twenty five.
Speaker 4: The negative people do make they help our shows like ours.
Speaker 3: I will say that for them, So there is that.
Speaker 10: Hey, listen, you know, you guys, with all the history you have on radio and television, you know full well that you have more listeners when the Caducks are on a tone game losing than when they're on a ten game winning streak.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have experience with that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you also, John, you do want the winning. It makes our jobs tougher too. I mean last year was fun, Donnie says it all the time. You know, last year was fun. They went to round two, almost made it to round three. You know, the negativity sells, but you know you also want some wins to cover the best when it's up and down.
Speaker 10: Yeah, frustrate, it's a it's a it's a fine line though, because you guys are you guys have done a marvelous job in the market, in the province doing what you do, so you have there is that pseudo fan in you that says, Okay, it's good if the Canucks win because people like what we're talking about and we.
Speaker 1: Have fun and and you know.
Speaker 10: What, we we wouldn't we wouldn't have jobs if the teams didn't compete, we wouldn't. So we have to be positive about certain things as well. The thing is that you know, in the end, you can't get that totally involved in whether a team wins or loses in order to do your job.
Speaker 4: Well, congrats to everybody going into the US Hockey Hall of Fame. If you weren't from Oliver, BC, John, if you were born south of the border, you'd be there too.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 10: No, the only way I get into the one in Evelyth is if I pay the twelve dollars US, which I'm not sure I have right now, and I'm just happy to be in the one that's in Penticton, the BC Hockey Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: There you go, There you go, John, Thanks for this. We'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 1: Cheers boys, you bet.
Speaker 4: John Shannon, NHL analyst. You know you talk about the winning and how that's a great thing, and when you talk about broadcasting and talk shows like ours, do you remember when the Knucks were doing a whole lot of winning, you know, around the twenty eleven era tons and doing a talk show then it was Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but everybody was, hey, call me in April right exactly, and you kind of knew where the Canucks were going to end up. And that wasn't the best great times for Knuck fans for doing a talk show with all that winning.
Speaker 3: It wasn't the best of time. Oh, it wasn't. It's tough.
Speaker 5: It's tough our jobs, you know, but we got to do it. Donny, win or lose.
Speaker 4: I don't know how tough our jobs are. My mine is, but you and Ryan not so much. I'm kidding, of course. Okay, a break will introduce the poll question, and next it's Donnie telling the team on check.
Speaker 5: The Bayside Resort is a boutique luxury resort like no other. Nestled on the bluff above beautiful Parksville Beach, this beautiful ocean front property prides themselves on offering a uncompromising fusion of West Coast authenticity and bespoke luxury. Their guests have come to expect a truly personal experience where all senses are indulged. The setting is gorgeous, the memories last a lifetime. Whether you're looking for a panoramic ocean view or an on site fitness center, indoor outdoor pool, ocean front restaurant, lounge, high speed internet access, or the perfect place for your next corporate event, the Bayside ocean Front Resort the perfect choice any.
Speaker 3: Time of the year. Called two five, zero, two four eight eight, triple three and book your state today.
Speaker 4: Vcy Lions have named Buck Pierce their twenty eighth head coach. Book is going to join us hopefully at the top of the hour somewhere in the eleven o'clock hour.
Speaker 3: Buck he's being introduced to the media as we speak.
Speaker 4: I believe so hopefully he'll join us just after eleven o'clock. Meanwhile, Wattling Dog pole question and has to do with the Canucks. Visit one of Victoria's favorite pubs, The Dog, where you can enjoy twenty caps, twenty screens. You're home for the Canucks in UFC. Come sit and stay at the Wattling Dog Today.
Speaker 5: Rick Ryan get her up the Watling Dog pop pole question, and it is, what did the Canucks approve Tuesday night in Minnesota to you? Can they hang with the NHL's best or nothing? They lost hang with the NHL's best eighty percent five and forty seven votes, stop it, but hold.
Speaker 3: It a second down.
Speaker 5: They've had the easiest I don't want to be the guy that poo paus on stuff. They've never want to be that, never want to be that. They've had the NHL's easy schedule to this state. Uh, they've played seven playoff teams and haven't won outright.
Speaker 3: But that's not the question of the court. They know, but they.
Speaker 4: Hung with, they hung We're still using that expression. They hung with the best team in the National Hockey League. Lest they broadcaster hits the post and whatever.
Speaker 5: Mind overtime, I thought the Canucks controlled the game in the third period, and I thought they'd be dead tired six games. Third period and they look damn good.
Speaker 4: But what did you expect going into that game and of the end of a road trip. So many players are number one team have health concerns right now. You know Heronic deamnco Miller. You know, if we forget about Derek Forward, he would help the defense of depth at the very least. Here are some of their stars that are out. And I know Minnesota was missing Zukuo, but the Cannucks more than hung in there under some pretty trying circumstances and a tough building. I thought, look, we've taken our shots to the Conducks this year. I thought they were very impressive.
Speaker 5: They were, and we haven't mentioned this first period Canucks out out thirteen seven, who kept him in the game lanking it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's okay to have a good gold end. Absolutely and certainly that's the other thing. Certainly in Minnesota has one Besser beat him, but he hit the post. He hit the post, and they come back down the other ice and score on. Okay, you wanted to touch on this Patrick Johnson article which has dropped at the Province and there's a Jim Rutherford quote there. We got the quote a regarding JT. Miller in his absence.
Speaker 5: So this is very important clip here from Jim Rutherford talking to Patrick Johnson this morning about all the ridiculous, stupid, dumb Miller rumors on Twitter. Anyways, don't start making stuff up on someone in his situation. That's disrespectful, says Rutherford. People that do this for fun or for a living, just go back to making up trade rumors. And to be clear, the Canucks are not trading Miller.
Speaker 4: That is that last quote there is Patrick Johnson's words.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, we are not trading him, Rutherford said, flatly. We stand by him. The Vancouver Canucks are not trading JT. Miller, according to Rutherford right there. And the other thing, I'm gonna tell you the stupid, ridiculous rumor that Miller wants out, I'm here to tell you right now he has not asked for a trade and it has not happened, And so there you go.
Speaker 4: He get so angry about well, I get angry. What are you talking about, Don? The guy's dealing with a personal issue. In what world would J. T. Miller have time to say, I'm taking a personal leave. But in between somewhere they're all asked for a trade. Come on, Don, well that's happened. You've seen players ask.
Speaker 5: Leave of absence for crying out loud. It was shot down by everybody I asked about.
Speaker 3: You throw the quote up again.
Speaker 4: There's one part of it I don't like, and that's the end of that clip, probably the end of the quote. People that do this for fun, for living, just go back to making up trade rumors. This this group, like, you should be thankful people care about your team and that they do. He's just dismissive of people making up trade rumors. They don't seem to You should be thankful that people care enough about your team. Yeah, don't go speculate and what's wrong with that?
Speaker 3: JT. Miller?
Speaker 4: I get that, But just just to be dismissive of the group that makes makes the engine run in Vancouver and that's your fan base. That bucks up for everybody.
Speaker 5: You know, don When I thought about this, back in the old days, it was just radio, TV, newspapers. We didn't have to deal with this thing called Twitter. We didn't have to deal with social media. And now everyone's a knock reporter on Twitter, whether you were work for a company or not. We're just gonna throw stuff out and let's hope it sticks. And back in the days that Cannucks had to deal with TV, newspaper, radio, guys. Now that you love social why it done? And now I'm on Blue boyer what's it called? Right, Blue Sky? I'm on Blue Sky.
Speaker 3: Now boys and Blue Boys. That was a marine drive, great pub. They knocked it down. Every pub is the only building in Vancouver they got knocked down.
Speaker 5: Every pub's getting knocked down for these condos, Like we're losing good pubs from the past.
Speaker 3: Where are where were we? Now?
Speaker 5: The Canucks got to deal with social media and it's a pain in the ass. It's a pain in the ass because anybody can throw something.
Speaker 3: Can be for sure, and people believe it.
Speaker 5: Even when I tweeted and you and I talked about JT's got a reset mental and physical Nope, don't believe it. Don't believe it. People want the dirt. They want the national in choir stuff. They don't care you want the dirt. No, I don't want the dirt.
Speaker 4: I think it's wrong to speculate. No, no question about that, and we do it all the time here, but.
Speaker 3: To be curious. But you can't make stuff up and throw it out.
Speaker 4: Okay, definitely, definitely, But I think social media Twitter blue.
Speaker 3: Boy as you call it.
Speaker 4: It's an indication of just how much people care about your product.
Speaker 3: They should be thankful for that.
Speaker 5: But he causes headaches too. Okay, what did be find line? And you get mad at me when I bring this up. Oh, sometimes this market gets too big for a player. What did Petterson do?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 5: Stop stop stop start that. Let me explain myself. Petterson horrible start to the season. What did Petterson do? About four or five weeks ago? He cut out all his social media agents are telling players in Canadian markets get rid of your cell phone, don't go on if I have a get off Instagram, get off of These guys are gonna drive you nuts. What did Patterson do? He's playing better? Why is he playing better? Don he got off of social media. Well, do you want me to speculate on that too? About what about why Peterson is playing better? Why is he playing better?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Can I know where you're going with that? He's got how my going with that? Because Miller's out and he's happy you said it.
Speaker 3: You know I'm saying what you're thinking. Yeah, Patterson, so you're thinking it too. You set me up there.
Speaker 5: Nineteen points in his last fourteen games for Peterson, and he's playing.
Speaker 4: Some because he's off social media.
Speaker 5: Don, Sometimes this market gets too big for.
Speaker 4: He's making eleven plus six million dollars a year and every once in a while he's going to get criticized. And this is not just him, any of these guys. They're going to get criticized in a hot Canadian market. They should thank they're lucky stars. Like, honestly, there's guys getting up at four in the morning that going out to dig ditches with three or four kids, and you think they don't have a tough careers aren't.
Speaker 3: Long, Don, The odd guy plays ten.
Speaker 4: If you're making that kind of money and they're making that kind of money, you're set for life. After one season. A lot of these guys will be fine.
Speaker 5: Hey, how many times have you and I read a story where pro athlete bleue millions and millions of dollars done?
Speaker 3: These guys are regular human beings.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, all right, let's let's do this. I wanted to get this in because it was hard to watch but gripping at the same time. And that's what the Flames and Blue Jackets were up to last night in Calgary. And all these people out there who rip into hockey culture, how horrible it is, and yeah, there are bad examples, there's no question about it. Hockey culture, ninety nine percent of the people in are fabulous people who go out of their way to do things for their teammates, for their parents, for their kids, whatever the case may be. And I thought that was on display yesterday as the Flames and the Blue Jackets, Johnny Gudro's two teams came together to honor the late Johnny Gudreau and his brother Matthew, the whole Gudro family was there and it was just it was tough to watch, but again gripping, and they did a fabulous job yesterday. We're going to go out on this clip as we get ready for big Rye, the Twitter guy. But this is Geek Gudro who's on the ice morning skate with the Flames front and center, wearing a Flames jersey. This is a Geek Gudro. Johnny and Matthew's father post game with the support of Michael Backland and Rasmus Aderson.
Speaker 12: Big rise next, these two guys in the team and the city. I always loved my son and I know if he's looking down now, he's smiling and happy that these guys have played hard for him. And it's been a hard time for our family. But you know, these guys are hurting too, you know, and they got to play, and the way they played tonight with.
Speaker 11: Heavy hearts was pretty impressive to me.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 12: I love these guys and a lot of guys in the locker room, and it was fun to watch him perform the way he did.
Speaker 11: And you know, center ice.
Speaker 12: When I dropped the poka backs here and my hand are both balling.
Speaker 11: I'm crying. I'm like, they're going to play a hockey game. Coulden. He barely got up the stairs.
Speaker 12: But these are tough guys and they're they're great hockey players, and I'm proud of them.
Speaker 11: And John's looking down at him and proud of them.
Speaker 5: Also, our podcast is brought to you in part by verge Nast Propertiesland's leader in rental property management, from finding a tenant to collecting rents and property maintenance. Birds Nest Properties delivers five star property management services with the reviews to prove it. Birds Nest Properties your Vancouver property managers who take care of everything so you don't have to own a rental property. Give the folks at birds Nest Property as a call today six oh four two six to zero, double nine, double five, or visit Birdsnest Properties dot C.
Speaker 4: Just I had a big ride the Twitter guy Delaney's okay, Tyron Langley inbox unsigned, please sign your text, folks. Didn't Kirk McClain say he'd like to trade from Vancouver to Carolina because it got him out of the fish bowl? Remember that I do remember that interesting because I remember it well and that the Canucks trading fan favorite Kirk McClain from Vancouver to Carolina. And Kirk did say something to that effect. The listener of the viewers paraphrasing here. But what was interesting about it is that he said that Sean Burke came the other way from Carolina to Vancouver got quintry, he said the He said the exact opposite. It wasn't a Keenan that made that deal, but he said the exact opposite. Sean Burke said, you know what, I'm tired of sharing, you know, the attention with football and baseball and all the college sports.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 4: I've got the heat on me now and I love this sort of thing. He didn't last long in Vancouver, but it was funny. Grass is always a greener right on.
Speaker 3: The other side, big gry.
Speaker 6: The one thing I'll say is I feel like far too many people look at his salary and then that's it. Oh you make X, that's it. You don't have any issues in your life because you make X. That's what's going in your bank.
Speaker 4: That's not what I'm saying, but that's what a lot of people read into.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of that.
Speaker 6: Yesterday, I've been talking about Mither's leave of absence. Come on, you're you're you're a multimillion dollar athlete in the prime of your life, come.
Speaker 3: On, shall with it.
Speaker 6: They have their ups and downs, that's but that's what That's my point.
Speaker 4: And how many of people's lives ups and downs have to do with what they're making or their financial situation.
Speaker 3: But that's the point.
Speaker 5: It don't matter how much you make, you can have the same problems that we do.
Speaker 4: Everyone has. There's one problem, that's one major problem that's eliminated.
Speaker 3: Sorry, but that's it is. But it doesn't.
Speaker 6: But it doesn't take away the other real life stuff, like you know, I get.
Speaker 3: That family life issues.
Speaker 4: So nobody nobody worries about their financial situation.
Speaker 3: No, of course, But again you're you're eliminated.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but but your problems aren't eliminated because of it.
Speaker 4: Ryan, I get that, and I reckon, I get that, but you're you're telling me that nobody out there worries about their financial situation and that it can't can't lead.
Speaker 3: To other problems in your life. Of course it does. They don't have to worry about that. Yeah, okay, but it doesn't. It doesn't. It doesn't. White you're taking his sign because it doesn't wipe out everything else. And to be honest with you, I will say that. I will say this.
Speaker 6: The Petterson social media thing is being overblown, Like we were pushing almost a year of his struggles.
Speaker 5: There's no way agents are now telling God. I don't doubt that in markets, cut out the social media because you're hurting yourself.
Speaker 3: I don't doubt that.
Speaker 5: If you want to read all the nasty bs on Twitter, then go ahead, but get off.
Speaker 4: And Rick, you're absolutely right because people are forcing them to go on social media.
Speaker 3: They can't contain.
Speaker 5: Peterson got off and guess what, he's playing a whole lot better.
Speaker 3: The one thing I will saying control.
Speaker 4: You can control yourself when it comes to social media.
Speaker 6: But it's also an outlet though to making more money. It can't be Yeah, like if you're if you, if you're Connormano.
Speaker 4: Why would you want to do that if money's not Money's not an important issue.
Speaker 3: You just said that. I never said that.
Speaker 6: I just said it doesn't wipe away everything because you're making a lot of money. Your bank account doesn't say you your family life's gonna be fine, You're not gonna have any sickness, You're not gonna have anything else going on because your bank account's what it is.
Speaker 3: Like connorvan Dart, we see him in these ads with Hyundai.
Speaker 6: If he's on Instagram and Hyundai goes, yeah, okay, And as part of your sponsorship with us. We want you to post on Instagram twice this season about our cars. It's that I understand why he's on Instagram. Then if I was him, though, I would just turn the keys over to a manager and say here, take my take my social media accounts. You guys post what I need to sponsor wise, but I'm not gonna turn.
Speaker 4: Your keys over. Your social media keys over to a manager. Yeah, like a social power able to do that. What do you mean, here's my blogging? Because here's my logging. I know, I don't understand how you're you're not understanding.
Speaker 13: This, Like you believe Liz Petterson making eleven point six million, then he doesn't have the right to look at his Instagram and have some scumbag telling me should jump off the lions Gate Bridge.
Speaker 3: Because that's that's that, no doubt about it. No, But your answer to.
Speaker 4: That social media, you're you're not getting that that. Hey, you're you're completely dismissing that a lot of people out there, a lot of their problems are caused by what they're making at work.
Speaker 3: Yes, that they're that's Olivia professional.
Speaker 4: A lot a lot of a lot of people don't say I changed places with him in a second social media or not.
Speaker 3: That's not what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: I'm saying that the idea that they make X so then they can't bitch about anything because they make that amount of money is wrong.
Speaker 3: Like actually on my side with this, that's what's surprising.
Speaker 5: And not all athletes make eleven million. There's guys make one point two and guess what, you know where those guys are done.
Speaker 3: They're they're about one day away.
Speaker 5: From the American League, and then when you get to the American League, you're one day away from the East Coast Hockey League, and then when you get to the East Coast Hockey League, it's over.
Speaker 4: It's not anybody, nobody in any other profession has that kind of pressure on them. Well, of course they do that with a lot less money involved.
Speaker 6: The difference is for the athlete though, is most of them haven't done anything else.
Speaker 5: But the point is Canadian markets are tougher. You think Carolina and Columbus players whind about those markets.
Speaker 3: No, but we see, we see because we see it everywhere else. You see it everywhere. There's no media. You're telling me you're doing.
Speaker 5: To Alexander Revner, go to Los Angeles. Gee, I wonder sure, so he can walk down the.
Speaker 4: Beats the number one reason why it was a hell of a big reason he should walk down the road and nobody recognize it. Like being an NFL player or a player in English Premier So in the English Premier Soccer League, what's it like for them?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 4: No superstars. There's no estates at all. You can go to any team and you're gonna have all that sorts of all kinds of pressure on, and people make it seem like hockey is different. You have that, you have those levels of pressure. You can go to Canadian market and be a rock star. You can go to Florida relatively speaking, and disappear, or you can go to New York and Boston where you're kind of a star.
Speaker 3: It's different.
Speaker 6: Bus I'll also maintain even a maple leaf in Toronto is ten levels below like a Yankee in New York.
Speaker 5: For as much as people kick, because there's a hell of a lot more people in New York there ernto.
Speaker 3: It's still not to the level. It's still I still and Donnie knows this. Pebble Bray.
Speaker 5: One of his problems was the same thing he couldn't go to the grocery store without somebody bothering him it. You know, the market gets to players.
Speaker 3: And I could see it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I could get that was one of his complaints. Pebble Breys. I can't go anywhere in Vancouver without being bugged. You know, that's an issue. I think if I could pick it, I would pick an in between.
Speaker 6: Like Donnie just brought up a Boston or something that you might if you if ten people saw you, seven knew who you were instead.
Speaker 3: Of their benefits to being recognized too. Sure.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but like daily all the time, like Connor McDavid going out of liquor store is he's trying to load booze into his vehicle and give you that guy sitting in his car almost.
Speaker 3: We're out of time. I got it, I got no time. What did you have?
Speaker 6: Well, I was gonna bring up have you guys seen this golden this golden at bat thing with the MLB that Rob Manford's floating. So Rob Manfred kind of just threw this out there that at the owner's meetings, the MMB owners meetings. One idea of being tossed around is called a golden at bat, where a player regardless of where they are in the lineup, could be tapped on the shoulder and go up to take the at bat. So let's say the Yankees are down four to two in a game, bottom of the ninth inning, two outs and they're seven eight nine hitters scheduled to go out. Yeah they could go. No, Aaron Judge go for one time in the game. You could pick any hitter you want. No, they were replaced.
Speaker 3: Love it now. It's way too gimmicky. This is like something out of like a video game. Do you like three on three?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's gimmicky. It's gimmicky, but it's closer to shoot out. It's but you're not so this would be like, this would be like so the Canucks. Okay, the Canucks are, they're down a goal in the third period, they take Quinn Eughes takes a penalty, and Rick talking can say, no, no, I want news Holglander to take.
Speaker 3: The penalty once a game. Yeah, it's skimmicky. It's ridiculous. This is like something out of an All Star game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you and Rick bo go on and on about how baseball is too conservative and too stuck in the past. At least they're trying to progress here and make things more entertaining.
Speaker 3: But but there's a happy medium.
Speaker 6: I've loved the pitch clock, and I don't think anybody says anything about it anymore, with how the speeds it's moving.
Speaker 3: Even notice it now, it's it's fantastic.
Speaker 6: That's been an I even don't hate the second the runner on second in extra innings, to get that over with.
Speaker 3: I actually don't hate that. Some people do. I don't hate it.
Speaker 6: This is way too gimmicky, Like, wait, you're gonna have some big announcement, never mind now batting Aaron Judge, some big spotlight or something. You make it into a big production.
Speaker 4: You want to see the stud picture and mow down, and that wouldn't always happen. I get that number nine batter in the lineup?
Speaker 3: You okay with that? It's it's the game. It's the rules. I mean, obviously you sometimes rules change. I mean, look, and everyone brings up the basketball didn't have a three point line for the long Yeah, but again those are like those as kind of made the game worse in a way. A lot of people say no big time, but I don't think that that's that. This is messing with the game too much. This is like a wrestling thing. It feels like almost you're subbing a guy out. You're allowed to sub somebody out like this.
Speaker 6: I again, he's saying, I wonder how much of this Manford heard about the idea, but I'll toss it out.
Speaker 3: There's the MLB off season.
Speaker 8: Why not.
Speaker 6: We'll get some clicks. And that's kind of what's happened. I'll be surprised if this ever gets off the ground, especially by the way, especially with the feedback, since most baseball fans have talked about how much they hate it.
Speaker 3: Don't do it. It's too gimmicky, don't know. I haven't seen a lot of love for it.
Speaker 6: So I mean, if you wanted to, you know, part of the All Star Game or something, sure I'm for it. But like a big game and you're allowing guys to like perish you into the lineup, does.
Speaker 3: That increase your interest or decrease your interest?
Speaker 6: I mean, Aaron, I guess you. I guess it would increase it. But again, it's too gimmicky. Uh, Okay, coming up next, I think I'm still chatting with Matt Baker on this.
Speaker 3: Oh we didn't do that. Oh I didn't do a big around the Twitter guys. Brought to you by a shirt Thank you Derek.
Speaker 6: Surry mitche So your local and family owned SUV superstore. It's least month, It's the bonanza at least month, Bonanza at least an Outlander PHEV twenty twenty four or for one hundred and eighty two dollars a week, perfect for power plays and power savings. But if you need a gas option, the Outlander Gas Version twenty twenty four is only one hundred and five dollars a week, cheaper than your team's beer tab. Go see Daniel and everybody at Surrey Mitsubishi your ultimate power play for holiday savings. Visit them at one three two zero one or Fourth Avenue in Surrey, or wait over coming up next either in the next segment of the segment after his head coach, I newest head coach the BC lines Buck Pierce, We'll talk to him.
Speaker 3: It's coming up. It's Donny the team on check.
Speaker 4: Hey everyone, it's Donnie and Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company. We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast and on social media. We'd love to get involved with your company called two five to oh eight eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at checkmedia dot ca. The Wabbling Dog Pub has been owned and operated locally.
Speaker 3: Since nineteen ninety one and has since.
Speaker 4: Built its reputation as one of Victoria's favorite watering holes. With twenty TVs, twenty local and domestic taps, and over two hundred seats, the Wabbling Dog has something for everyone, including every Canucks game, UFC pay per views, and an unbeatable daily happy hour from four to six. The Dog is your one stop shop with its attached cold beer and wine store offering up hundreds of local and important products, as well as an extensive inventory of Donnie and Dolly merchandise. Their award winning hotel offers dog friendly hotel rooms that are appointed with antique style furnishings and modern amenities, and only ten minutes from the airport and ferry terminal. There are countless reasons to come, sit and stay at the Waddling Dog. It is Wednesday and all of our guests today. This reminds me I forgot to do the able auctions. Read if I'm not mistaken brought to you by We'll get to that later. Brought to you by our title sponsor, our friends at able Auctions, Able Auctions dot ca VC. Lions made it official they've replaced Rick Campbell with the twenty eighth head coach in club history, former Lions quarterback Buck Pierce, coming over from Winnipeg where he was the offensive coordinator. And Buck just finished some media responsibilities and he's able to join us now.
Speaker 3: Buck, thanks for doing this, sir. How are you? Congratulations And I'm doing great.
Speaker 8: I'm doing great. Thanks for having me on. Guys.
Speaker 4: Now, is it true that you're bringing in Casey Printers to back up Nathan Rourke?
Speaker 3: Is that? Is that right?
Speaker 8: That that is not correct?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: The reason I brought this up, Buck is because I'm looking back. I'm looking on your Wikipedia page at your career and you joined the Lions in five right in the middle of the saga Dickinson versus Printers.
Speaker 3: What was that like and what did you learn that might be a value today?
Speaker 8: Well, I mean everything's a lesson. Everything's a lesson, And you know, it's one thing I learned as as as a player and as a young coach. You know, you really just try and be a sponge. You try and absorb as much information and watch people around you as you can. You know, I learned a lot about you know, that situation. You know, two two very talented you know athletes, you know, two great quarterbacks. You know, I learned a lot of you know stuff about you know what to do, you know, had you know how to handle yourself and and also you know, in certain cases, you know what not to do right. So you know, every every situation is learning experience. And you know that was you know, that was a big one for me.
Speaker 3: And I still maintained to this day.
Speaker 4: That was good for the football club because they got a whole lot of attention during that time and they did a lot of winning. Hey what attracted you to the Lion's job? Bucking all seriousness?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 8: You know, I I have a deep bond with this organization. You know, it took a shot on twenty three year old kid, you know, from a small school, and and you know, I got an opportunity to continue my coaching or my playing career after college. And uh, you know, I fell in love with this place and I fell in love with with with the community. You know, made bonds up up you know here and and in the Lower Mainland that that our lifelong bonds for me. And then you know, one once you know, Ryan got hired, you know, having the ability to work with Ryan, I knew him from his time in Winnipeg and and you know, I really believe that we see the game the same way.
Speaker 5: Hey, Buck, the big question out here Vancouver is Nathan Rourke. Uh, You're gonna be able to work with him next year, get him back to the way he was playing before he went to the NFL. What did you see from Nathan last season? And and talk about working with him and getting them back to where he was.
Speaker 8: Well, you know, I think the biggest thing is just getting to know each other. You know, we're excited to get to know each other, you know, on on a personal you know level. You know, the relationship between you know, coach and you know play caller and quarterback is extremely important. Right so you know, I'm I'm here for you know, just support him obviously. You know what he does on the field, you know, is is is elite. You know, He's able to do things and process you know information, you know, really as quick as I've seen any anybody do, Right, so you know, I think just you know, continuing to develop our relationship, you know, and and and you know, get on the same page. I do believe you know, he's he's elite at you know, how he understands the game, you know, how to play the position, you know, and I'm just I'm gonna be there to guide him.
Speaker 5: Hey, buck, this Lion's team last year starts out five and one and then just collapse in the second half. You watched them in Winnipeg Western Final the two years previous. A lot of talent there, But what's missing? And what what do you need to fix? Right off to bat?
Speaker 8: Well, I think I think you know what we need. We need a direction, you know, and and and that's part of the reason you know that I'm here is we're going to provide uh a direction of what we want to be and and we're going to act on that. Right we need to get tougher and and and you know, we need to be accountable. And you know that's that's gonna be the focus of our off season, you know, is how can we how can we you know, get tougher you know, mentally, you know, and physically you know, to be able to with staying or you know, some of the ups and downs throughout the season. You know, there's gonna be adversity. Every team goes through it. You know, we got to we got to make sure we're mentally tough enough to be able to you know, fight through that.
Speaker 5: Hey, Buck, one more about the coaching staff. It's got to be number one on your list. How long do you think you will take to name the assistance?
Speaker 8: Well, you know, we're we're already looking at you know, you know guys, we've you know, you know, we've reached out, We've talked to people. You know, we're going to continue to have those have those conversations. You know, we're not going to put a date on it. Obviously, it's it's uh, you know, important to us. But we want to make sure we talk to everybody and you know we're on the same page going forward and we find the right people.
Speaker 4: Hey, and we're talking with bub Buck Pierce, new head coach the of the BC Allons. You touched on the name Ryan earlier talking about Ryan rig Maiden and people around here. I know he's been with your organization for a while. He was with Winnipeg as well. We don't know a whole lot about him. But man, is he respected. What do the Lions have in their new general manager, Ryan rig Maiden.
Speaker 8: You have a passionate, a passionate individual that's gonna put everything, you know he has into his work. You know, he's gonna work extremely hard. He loves the BC Lions. Uh, you know, he loves the CFL, you know, and and and and he's a football guy, right, he is gonna he's gonna do everything he can for the BC Lions, and and and you know, being being around Ryan, you know, our conversations with him, I think we just you know, we see that in the same light.
Speaker 4: What does what does Wally Blondle mean to you, Bucky? I believe it was your first head coach or in the Canadian Football League.
Speaker 8: Yeah, uh, you know, Wally means wal He means a lot to me, you know, not just as a guy that uh, you know, I played under or a coach obviously, everybody knows his his his record and his you know, legacy in the league, but just a guy that you know, I learned so much, you know, off the field. Obviously he gave me my opportunity, but the respect, you know that I have for him as a person, as a father. You know, the way that he handled himself and and how he treated players. You know, he he was He was firm, he was fair, you know, always honest and and that's what you want.
Speaker 3: And we all know he's pulling for you. Buck.
Speaker 4: I know you're busy today. We can't thank you enough for this. We really appreciate that a lot, all sorts of people pulling for you.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much.
Speaker 8: Hey, thank you guys so much. I look forward to talking again.
Speaker 3: You bet all right.
Speaker 4: Buck Pierce a new head coach of the BC Alliance. Yeah, I forgot that he was. He was the third quarterback during the Printer's Dickinson affair.
Speaker 3: And I'll say it again, and that was.
Speaker 4: I mean, they were winning at the time, and they had a Walley which helps with with the winning. But that controversy and oh, I was doing talk radio with Pratt at the time. The Lions were front and center.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 4: It was really good for the franchise in a real strange way.
Speaker 5: I was in the middle of it with Printer's agent Jason.
Speaker 11: Look.
Speaker 5: Hey, Buck Pierce in California drives five hours up to Portland Canucks free agent camp. Wally Bono got tipped off about this quarterback. Keep an eye on him. His life never been the same. He's been in Canada since those free agent camps. The CFL holds all over. Cam Wake was found at a camp in Maryland, Donnie. Those free agent camps are big for Canadian teams.
Speaker 4: All the best to a Buck Pierce. We'll update you know what I'm gonna do here. I'll read the able, I'll do the able to read, and then we'll.
Speaker 3: Throw the break. If that's okay with you? Are you? I think you meant Lions free agent camp, not Connucks. You can, I says it's. Buck did try and be their third goaltender for one season, but unfortunately was the Floridian slip. Ryan.
Speaker 4: What what happened is the the Canucks offered him eleven million.
Speaker 5: I can't do that eleven million, he said, No, I'm going to the Lions camp eighty five.
Speaker 6: It just still blows my mind that some of these guys they can find in these camps, like Cam Wake.
Speaker 4: Well, I think Cam went to the wrong place, did he not?
Speaker 5: That was Pabo Villaag Bobbo villa Bage had a big part. He went to the camp and he missed it. Yeah, yeah, Cam Wake missed the Lions. Then they got him the next day. Those caps are big.
Speaker 3: How is he not an NFL draft pick? I can't wait?
Speaker 4: Like Ryan, I know he had issues in college that he was at Penn State and there was some issues in college and he didn't have the career he was expected to have and came up to Canada and the rest is history.
Speaker 3: Ryan. A lot of good American players come up here go back. No, I know, I know, but it's a small world for you haven't made it in the NFL.
Speaker 4: Here's an opportunity to play pro football, maybe make it in the NFL after you played in the CFL.
Speaker 3: Just small world.
Speaker 6: But we talk about great athletes that have played in the city. I think that's one that kind of gets forget a lot forgotten a lot can't Wake.
Speaker 5: Oh came up here and it made millions and now it went down South, made million with the Dolphins and he was good.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, get this able to read in what do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: December seventh, Able Auctions will sell the lifetime work of a major Vancouver collector.
Speaker 3: What's it day? Today? The fourth?
Speaker 4: Several jukes jukeboxes, including a Saberg one hundred selectomatic jukebox signed by RTT Robinson and a classic rock Ola juke in amazing condition. Also gas pumps, oil cans, signage, and a lot more. For information on this major collectible auction, go to Ableauctions dot SED. To get your collection sold at auction and turned into cash. Email sales at able Auctions dot CA, sales at a b l E Auctions dot C. A pole question has to do with the connection there outstanding game last night entertainment wise, that's next we'll update the pole question.
Speaker 3: Donnie and Dolly the team on check.
Speaker 9: Donnie and Dollie the team is supported by Ableauctions dot CA A Closing your Business where you can help.
Speaker 4: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 4: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, Please email Sales at able Auctions dot CA, dot Sales at ab LA Auctions dot CA.
Speaker 3: Poll question Waddling Dog poll question.
Speaker 4: Visit one of Victoria's favorite pubs where you can enjoy twenty caps and twenty screens. You're home for the conuction in UFC. Come sit and stay at the dog today. Rick, All right, here we go, Ry get her up to the waddling dog pup pole question.
Speaker 5: What did the Canucks approve Tuesday night in Minnesota? They can hang with the NHL's best eighty percent. Say yes, nothing. They lost twenty percent six hundred and fifty three votes already, and.
Speaker 4: We said it earlier in the show for segment Wild over the Canucks three to two in overtime. You could say what you want about the result, Cannuck fans, that was a great game to watch, and I think the Canucks under some pretty adverse conditions, missing all the players that are missing right now and playing at the end of a six game road trip, I think they proved a lot yes yesterday. Again, I know it was only one game, but I thought Minnesota, the players, the team goaltanding the building was very, very impressive and the Canucks were right there with him. And then you felt for Rodbester needs a goal. Okay, he definitely needs It's hard to say, can you imagine if you know he needs a goal, can you imagine if the goal he scored was to win an overtime in his old stomping grounds, Minnesota, that would have been so special.
Speaker 5: His hometown, Donnie, his old stomping gowns. No dempgo, no Miller, no Heronic for the last three games, that was a gutsy character win. And they come back and listen and the other one for you, don is now, all of a sudden, they got a homestand six games starting fight against Columbus. There's ten and two on the road, but they're three five and three at home. I don't get it, Like, how do you play so well on the roaddawn, It's been a strange season, and you come home and you absolutely uh not good. You look at the Carolina game was awful, the Devil's game, the Oilers game that coughed up so many goals at home.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it so so much. I really believe like the first week or two people in the ad doesn't matter. You'll get your game together. But the tone is set so often for teams in the first few moments of a regular season. Look what they did last year. Those two, the back to back wins, including a wipeout knocking knocking off the Evanston Oilers, and that kind.
Speaker 3: Of set the tone for the season.
Speaker 4: We think about those first two games at home against Calgary where they blew a three goal lead twice at home and they lose, lose to Calgary, and then they lose to Philadelphia at home, and that that I don't know if they've really recovered from that at home. So six games at home. It all starts Friday against the Columbus, the Columbus Blue Jackets. Okay, the four Nations rosters are being unveiled today starting with moments ago, Finland and Sweden. We have the entire finish roster. Is that right, right? And Kevin Lankanen is one of the goaltenders, got that right?
Speaker 3: Okay? Yeah, So there you go.
Speaker 4: There's Lancannon along with Laconan from the Buffalo and u C.
Speaker 3: Sarah's of course, he.
Speaker 4: Will be the number one guy you would think from Nashville. And by the way, something we have I mentioned it was a wonderful night in the National Hockey League yesterday. There were five overtime games. There were four overtime goals scored within a span of something like seventeen minutes in real time. Patrick Lane is on this team and he comes back and scores a big goal for the Montreal Canadians yesterday, and he's on this finish squad as well.
Speaker 5: Wreck Yeah, and how happy was he last night? And did you see the ovation he got from the Montreal fans. So, Kevin Lancannon obviously having a great season. Obviously Cerro's is going to be the number one goal either Doney, but I think Kevin lankn and and Uka Paca Lucan and boy, who's the backup?
Speaker 3: Eh? Who's the backup? That's one of the smoothest names you've ever prayed. Let me try Let me try it again. No, no, no, well you're ahead, No, luc have you e remember rehearsing this in a mirror? Hey?
Speaker 5: There are some names I nail, not many, apparently this is one.
Speaker 3: But that's one of them.
Speaker 4: I think you look at all these rosters and I say to myself, you know, and you can I think most people would go into this tournament saying that this is the underdog team.
Speaker 3: But if they won, Yeah, Finland.
Speaker 4: I'm listening or early morning radio today and people saying, finish the finish players, finish teams, men or women always find a way. I mean, there's some wonderful players there. Obviously a barkoff is there, and I still feel an underrated defenseman in Miro Heiskin In with the Dallas Stars, There's there's a whole lot there.
Speaker 5: But after high Skin and Donnie, it gets pretty slim on that blue line.
Speaker 4: Okay, And do we have any information regarding Sweden right now?
Speaker 6: Apparently they're releasing the well they did for both of them. Uh, they're releasing them almost like a player at a time. So I don't have a graphic like we just had. Oh yes, I do, look at this in real time. It just dropped as the kids saying, just was released and here is Team Sweden and uh, the big controversy here, Lias Petterson didn't make Team Sweden. If you can believe it, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 3: I had dolly one for a second. Where's the name? Where's his name? Hey? Hold in a second? Back it up.
Speaker 5: Peterson was struggling, Oh no, he's not going to make the Swedish roster.
Speaker 3: Come on, who said that?
Speaker 5: There was people in the market that said he's not going to make it when he was closed on his side.
Speaker 3: Sam A.
Speaker 5: Lamb, he made the right call getting Petters. He's the head coach, right, Sam Lam's aad coach.
Speaker 3: Good guy? Uh, you picked Peterson. Sam A.
Speaker 5: Lamb coached Patterson after his draft year in Sweden. He loves a guy, Sam Lamb loves him.
Speaker 4: But I mean what Petterson is doing lately, and let's throw the contract stuff out the door. He's been pretty impressive piling up the points, right, so that's no surprise at all.
Speaker 3: What do you what do you want to see?
Speaker 6: Will you notice he's on the fourth line that he's gonna have to play with lin Holm?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: Jewel ericsonac Well, lind home too. Joel ericson okay, you want up to just some horrible.
Speaker 3: Stuff last night? Yeah, it was completely on call.
Speaker 4: I know you're trying to do like a you know, fabulous broadcasting segue here, but if you don't mind, can we just focus on the roster here for a second.
Speaker 3: Look at that defense?
Speaker 4: Well, first the goaltending marks for the he'd be the biggest name there, I think, but he's going to be the bat. But Linus all Mark, you know, great times in Boston not so much right now with Ottawa. But Philip Gustison numbers wise been the best goal in the nation ocy league, so a pleasant problem for Sweden. But look at look at the defense for extra Rasmus Anderson is you don't even want to bring it up because it was a second round draft pick that the Caducks gave to the Flames and that's what they picked.
Speaker 6: Oh stop, It's like the people about the Utah what's his name, Dylan Gunther.
Speaker 3: You have no idea if the Caducks would have picked this guy or not. And that is the oldest argument.
Speaker 4: It's true though the fact is though yes the craft Capital went Calgary picked Anderson with the pick the Caducks gave. Okay, Rasmus de Lane Victor headman Eric Carlson is there all right?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: And wasn't he one of the first six.
Speaker 5: Name he was, which shock people. But anyways, he's been horrible.
Speaker 4: I don't know where he lines up here because he might be the sixth or seventh at home, a stud defensively, certainly for the Oilers, he's there. Jonas Brodein underrated with the wild and this is another one that hurts the gostaf Forestling, who's been phenomenal fifth round pick of the connection they got rid of him right away, and another connection with the Lindholme being there.
Speaker 5: But donnie, look up the middle of the ice, they're going to be strong Forestburg, Carlston Campaign, Lindholm, Knelander. That's a very very impressive group of centermen. They're going to be really strong up the middle.
Speaker 3: Of the ice.
Speaker 5: Ol huh, No, Oel that did the Shana Lamb looked at Oel.
Speaker 3: He was in Toronto. They were scouting. He was there in Toronto.
Speaker 4: He's been resurgent the last two seasons. Go go talk about.
Speaker 3: Your we're up against the time, Okay, we don't have to.
Speaker 4: Well, just so people know, Joel Eric said, k at his hit yesterday, I Keifer would bad hit.
Speaker 3: They didn't get a penalty, No not.
Speaker 4: I mean there's some people talking about how was this suspendable?
Speaker 3: He didn't get a penalty.
Speaker 6: Drantz tweeted, is not a big deal. He didn't understand the uproar in the head.
Speaker 4: Well, let's just saying that Sherwood, you know, knelt down and into the elbow.
Speaker 3: I don't care. The optics don't look good here. Joel Eric said's a head shot the alcow right in the head, Like, what is he? Meanwhile, Queen Hughes soft cross check, but the guy hit his face wasn't a soft cat check cross check. Part of me, that wasn't what you said. He didn't know. That was not a soft soft doney. Look, it wasn't that hard. Okay, it wasn't that hard. And let's be honest.
Speaker 6: The only reason why he got the penalty you got it was because his nose was cut. If he got if he gets much like Sherwood last night, if Sherwood says.
Speaker 4: That, I'm tired of being right in all these arguments.
Speaker 3: So the AC looks a million times worse than what he did. I can't agree the worse the dishes he looks out far he's skaped does look worse. I'll give you that.
Speaker 4: I'll stand firm on saying that wasn't a soft cross check by Hughes, but that was worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the at very least it's a penalty.
Speaker 5: And the dp O S and the Department of Player Safety said this morning nothing for.
Speaker 3: Eck Well, you know what's up? Why now?
Speaker 6: Bill Garrions told Minnesota Radio this morning, Eric she is hurt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is his elbow hurt. I don't know, maybe offered a thick head. You know what's going on here, Kelly Sutherland. Yeah, there's a lot of people. There was another played by sure Wood.
Speaker 6: You brought up uh In from overtime with his active I love that.
Speaker 3: A lot of people raved about.
Speaker 4: I loved it was so minor hockey. I love that moment he's tapping his stick. Oh it was good, or moving it back and forth trying to confuse whoever had the puck at the time.
Speaker 3: I love that. I love that moment.
Speaker 4: Here you got it here, hold on, Okay, that's not it. Okay, don't worry, it is it.
Speaker 3: This is it? Okay, hold on, give me, give me, give me point five second.
Speaker 4: This was in overtime. He for sure had found himself as the only man back on it. It was on a two on one, and this is how he is a forward, what you know, trying to confuse.
Speaker 3: Did a great job. He did was outstanding. That was a lot of fun. I love the head fakes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of fun. It was a great game to watch all around. Okay, we're good, Yeah, let's go. You got business pastime. Yeah, we're right day overtime. Yeah, go right now. We're cutting into DTMZ. Looking forgiveness that I'm looking on the Delaney's okay, tiring Langley inbox. A lot of people don't want to hear much from me today anyway. Looking for a.
Speaker 5: Gift for a sports fan, you bet you. How about addition to your man k Pastime Sports the place to visit next Pastime Sports in store signing Saturday, Langley connect forward.
Speaker 3: We just talked about him.
Speaker 5: Keep for sure what he'll be in attendance, and then Sunday, December fifteenth, Hoglander is going to be there at the Capitolana Mall. February sixth, Trevor Linden Jonathan Lacaramaki details about him soon He had the Pastime Sports on Facebook rex or visit Pastime Sports dots e a laptop A very quick reminder, don't worry with the laptop.
Speaker 3: Very quick reminder though. Key for Sherwood contest going final day.
Speaker 6: Donny Dolly Twitter account, you have to go there, retweet the tweet, follow us and follow Pastime Sports.
Speaker 3: He entered Winter Drawn tomorrow afternoon.
Speaker 4: By the way, uh, this is unsigned to Landy's okay trying Langley inbox. We're so over I don't care anymore. But uh, the K is a band name, EK the ach EK, Derek, mark it down, not just EK.
Speaker 3: We're overboard here you get to the commercial, not just K the X. Yeah, you told Derek right down, K. So what to clarify? You want the That's not the worst thing I said to the team on check.
Speaker 5: House of Golf is the premier destination for indoor golf in the Lower Mainland. Elegantly designed and powered by industry leading track Man technology, the facility is home to six golf simulators and offers hourly bookings to hone your game, entertain friends and family, or host clients in the perfect social setting.
Speaker 4: Give the Gift of Golf this Christmas with a ten percent bonus on gift cards over one hundred dollars and at twenty percent bonus on all cards.
Speaker 5: Over two hundred dollars. Head the House of Golf dot Ca for more information. That is h a Us of Golf dot CAA Hey, it's eleven thirty six on a Wednesday morning. Donnie and Dolio check TV.
Speaker 4: Now time for d DMZ and it is brought to you by the world famous whistle Golf Club.
Speaker 3: Go see big al out there a great track.
Speaker 4: Great Track DTMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer designst the Golf Club. Keep your game sharpest winner with the sim the state of the art golf simulator play the world's best courses are working your game with track Man technology. Book your simulator player practice at whistlergolf dot com. As we've stated a couple of times moments ago, we're way over. So we're getting right to birthdays December fourth, we've got eight birthdays. The line is set at seven, and I understand we have artwork from Peteon Calgary.
Speaker 3: Have you got that right?
Speaker 4: The line is set at seven by Sloppies Tambourine Warehouse, Marine Warehouse and Casino. There's Old Slappy there. Slappyes Tambourine Warehouse and Casino in Botwood, Newfoundland.
Speaker 3: It looks like Gary Busey. Yeah Slappy maybe it is. Maybe that's his nickname. Shout out to Pete and Calgary, Old old Slappy bucy Greek guy. Pete and Calgary.
Speaker 4: Sloppy could be a band name. Okay, did I did I? What was the mistake I made? Did I say crotch?
Speaker 3: Check? Yeah? Did I that's suspendable instead of cross track?
Speaker 4: December fourth, rock and roll right winger on the LA King's Triple Crown line spend his entire great last name spent his entire seventeen year NHL career with the King. Simmer Charity now went on to become LA's GM. Now works in the Saint Louis Blues front up. Great last Name.
Speaker 3: Taylor, Dion Marshall, Dean Deon, Taylor Simmer. Where are you going with it? Dave? Taylor? Dave did That's what I said?
Speaker 1: Taylor?
Speaker 3: Did he?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 3: He said Taylor?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, he said Taylor. It was sixty five two hundred and thirty six five two hundred thirty four.
Speaker 3: We're moving on.
Speaker 4: Sixty five, two hundred and thirty five pound defenseman played junior with Peterborough, Cannuck's second round draft pick in nineteen ninety one. Big Guy traded in ninety six to Montreal for Donald for Sheer. Want a Cup of Tampa In oh four.
Speaker 11: J C.
Speaker 3: Jason Calmore, There you go, very good.
Speaker 4: Ninety three year old Hockey Hall of Fame center played twenty two NHL seasons, all with Detroit. Was in the middle of the second edition of the Wings production line, which also included Gority Howe and Ted Lindsay. Okay, so sid Abel was there, and then this guy took us place. This gentleman took his place. Wings ever retired his number ten silver Fox Delvechie There you go, Alex Delvekie Canadian right. In the nineteen eighties, he had five straight seasons of ninety two or more points for the Bruins. Elliott Friedman's favorite player, Rickton Rick Middleton, actress who won an Oscar for her role as Mona Lisa Vito in My Cousin Vinnie, appeared as herself in the two part Seinfeld episode The Cadillac Initials. Quickly, Mt Maris turn yes to Tom Marisa Tomay Eck very good actor as a good episode, good two part episode rapper and entrepreneur. Real name Sean Carter. His wife's name is Beyonce con Rack.
Speaker 3: The money that he sings that you in New York songs, give me the initial Come on, jay.
Speaker 1: Z, jay Z?
Speaker 3: Can you imagine if you didn't get it?
Speaker 5: True?
Speaker 4: Oscar winning American actor played Jeffrey the Dude Labowski in The Bickowski Jeff Bridges Yeah, actor friend of the show. I think retired American centers back me.
Speaker 3: I never got him on, so I don't know. No, no, I'm talking about the next person.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, retired American center back born in Green Bay, first captain of the MLS White Caps.
Speaker 14: D hold on Jason Jason j de Merrit, de merit, de merit close in the neighborhood soccer soccer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're good. That that's a that game and Empire that first game. Let's just I mean, like literally again beating TFC. Could they have scripted it? And I love I love BC place, I do.
Speaker 4: I think it gets it gets knocked down a lot, and I get that, but that era at Empire Field, especially for someone in my age, was something special. White Caps and Lions roller Coaster, Big Back Ground, Big.
Speaker 3: Jay Z fifty five. As we get ready for is it just me?
Speaker 4: He's going to play us out from October nine to the album The Blueprint three. This is jay Z with Elisa Keys and Empire State of Mind on check Home of Musical Superstars.
Speaker 3: On a BC Wednesday morning.
Speaker 4: Jee yam, I'm at Brooklyn, man, I'm down in Shopbecker right next to the Nevro.
Speaker 1: But I'll be Hood Fast Book, I'm Mini.
Speaker 5: Sit Down, score big with Surrey Mitsubishi, your local family owned dealership.
Speaker 4: The November shootout is here and the savings are hitting harder than a slapshot.
Speaker 3: Metcha.
Speaker 5: Big ride when you buy the last of the twenty twenty four Outlander pgvs and get pricing so good they can only tell you in person.
Speaker 4: But hold on to your stick, Dollywall because for our listeners, Surrey Mitsubishi will give you a whopping three thousand dollars over market value for your trade when you purchase any new Mitsubishi only in November.
Speaker 5: Visit them online at Surrey Mitsubishi Dots or in store at thirteen eight twenty one oh fourth Avenue in Surrey for the November shootout.
Speaker 3: Well supplies last. All right, Rick, good to hear you ready?
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 5: Uh Dave from Lake Couch and is it just me? How to Kirk McLean's career going Carolina once the pressure was off? Maybe pressure is a good thing.
Speaker 4: There you go, well that, but that goes against your argument.
Speaker 3: But Kirk McLean, where was he when he got traded at the tail end of his career?
Speaker 4: And he did go on to play with a couple of other teams Florida, and you forget that he ended.
Speaker 3: Up with the Rangers as well, did he?
Speaker 4: Which is strange given ninety four?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Is it just me?
Speaker 4: This is Austin and Abbey. I think I'm getting that right?
Speaker 3: Is it just me?
Speaker 4: Or are the Canucks hurting themselves by keeping everything tight to the vest or chest in regards to jasus tight to the vester chest, I'm asking you to the vest tied to the.
Speaker 3: Chest or vest in regards to J. T.
Speaker 4: Miller moving on, a lot of crazy rumors flying around, and the organization is partially to blame.
Speaker 5: Sure they are because there was no clarity in the tweet that announced that he was leaving. The moment you don't give clarity, that's when the millions of rumors go crazy.
Speaker 4: But then you also say you also say that it's nobody's business.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, there. If the Canucks want to come out with a tweet saying J. T. Miller is leaving for these reasons, they.
Speaker 3: Didn't do it.
Speaker 4: It is interesting that they didn't do. On the heels of a benching, right.
Speaker 5: Oh, there is no questions. You can't deny that that said, you cannot deny. This all happened forty eight hours after he got benched against Nashville.
Speaker 4: Okay, is it just me Eric the greenskeeper? You mentioned this Ryan off the air. I believe Tyler Myers deserves applause for his even up crosscheck on Ck, his cross check on Ck. Good on you, Tyler for standing up for a teammate.
Speaker 3: Well, absolutely anything else. No, it's a good tweet. It's a very good tweet.
Speaker 5: I got one too from news Nick Sidney Crosby has never had social media and should teach a class to the next generational hockey players who don't need social media to be successful. Why do hockey players go on social media do and then bitch and wine and complain because people are ripping them?
Speaker 3: Good question.
Speaker 4: Well, you just said, Doc a couple of seconds ago, you said players are bug by, what's going on in social media?
Speaker 3: Why don't they all do what Crosby does.
Speaker 5: Exactly, don't go on social media and then don't bitch and wine because you're getting ripped on social media by the media and the fans.
Speaker 4: But that is interesting about Crosby. Nothing on social media.
Speaker 3: That is a great example.
Speaker 4: Things are going well for sid Yes, one of the at maybe not this year. In Pitts players all time, Johnny and Victoria.
Speaker 3: Is it just me?
Speaker 4: But I went to high school with the guy whose first name was Ek interesting ek, So.
Speaker 5: His first name was Eck. Yes, but this guy's last name is at the right end is Eric's and k Okay boom?
Speaker 4: What if it was just Ac and nothing else?
Speaker 3: Just ek? Yeah? Yeah, just K could be a band name, just K, just dak.
Speaker 5: Simple solution, Rick from Princeton, BC. If you can't stand the heat, get out of.
Speaker 3: The kitchen again. That goes against your argument. They're not shooting at me. They're not. This isn't targeted saying Dolly Wall.
Speaker 5: What they're saying is, I'm telling you that some players have an issue with social media and maybe get.
Speaker 4: Off or just the attention they receiving a hot, hot.
Speaker 5: Canadian market And yeah, absolutely go ahead.
Speaker 4: This is unsigned and it's really good. Regarding the Golden Bat proposal, is it just me? Or if you want gimmicky, allow the opposition NHL team to choose players for the shootout. Wouldn't that be interesting that out of your pipets spoken, so you know you you picked the obviously you'd go to the you know, the sixth or seventh defenseman first, right, Yeah, you know what if that guy scores, that'd be kind of fun.
Speaker 3: No kidding, No, not gonna happen. But is it just me?
Speaker 5: Hockey players are humans At the end of the day. Money doesn't buy happiness or make mental health issues any less difficult, Scott. Great submission here by Scott. These guys, Donnie, I don't care how many millions they make. They got the same issues you.
Speaker 3: And I got, except for the financial ones. You don't know that are Are they blowing their money? They well, that's that's another you.
Speaker 5: Know, that's another issue, right, so, but they are. They are allowed to have breakdowns and mental breakdowns like we do.
Speaker 3: They're allowed.
Speaker 4: But a lot of regular having a lot of people have those sorts of issues because of something that's.
Speaker 3: Going on financially in their lives. Yep, No, that's true.
Speaker 4: Is it just me?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gonna read it.
Speaker 4: I agree with don I wake up every day at five am and go to work to support my wife and three kids that have done so for fifteen plus years. I'm twenty years for retirement and will continue to do so until that. I don't make millions, and.
Speaker 3: It gets harder every year. Yep, there you go. Absolutely, I'm signed.
Speaker 5: By the way, is there any substance to the rumor that management is going to put the Canucks in a downtown hotel because they can't win at.
Speaker 4: Home, They can't forward, can't afford it this weekend?
Speaker 3: You got an order. That's where billion's done.
Speaker 4: Give me a break, Taylor Swift the hotel rooms man, man's gonna my kids will go to the game one o'clock one. I'm not even aware of this, Ryan, Do you know what time is Taylor Swift concert on Sunday?
Speaker 3: No, it's it's one o'clock. That's the game.
Speaker 6: Doors are I don't know that doors will be like she's on a seven thirty I think or something, because okay, she plays with doors hours, so seven thirty or eight or something like that. So Sunday won't be as much of a headache because I don't think. I mean, people might go down early for the concert, but it won't be as bad. Tomorrow night is gonna or Friday night, story is going to be crazy down here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Omar, thanks for that. We need to break. By the way, Omar, our beautius.
Speaker 4: Ridge is it just me if I read this already, I can't remember the most dangerous quality of the Knucks have is that they performed best when under adversity. The road trip and even last year's playoffs examples of that last year's playoffs with out demco. What happens when everyone is healthy and they don't have a chip on their shoulder anymore. That's an interesting submission by OMAR. They do well with when this edition does well under adversity.
Speaker 5: And two things happen when you have an addiversity. Either you do well or you go the other way, or you don't do well, or you don't do well.
Speaker 3: Bottom line.
Speaker 4: Okay, we'll wrap up the show in the poll question next Tony Dolling the team on check. Don't miss a second of Vancouver Giants hockey at the LAC this season. Watched the electrifying play of twenty twenty five draft eligible Cameron Schmid as he tears up the ice alongside NHL draft picks Connor Levis, Tyler Thorpe, and Colton Roberts.
Speaker 3: Season tickets are on sale for his low.
Speaker 4: As seventeen dollars a game, or grab a flex pack available in six or twelve game packages.
Speaker 3: For his low as twenty two bucks a game.
Speaker 5: Head to Vancouver Giants dot com, slous season tickets.
Speaker 3: And don't miss out.
Speaker 5: Doug Paul Rick, Ryan Pop Waddling Dog Pop Pole question, what are the Canucks proof Tuesday night in Minnesota? If they can hang with the NHL's best or nothing?
Speaker 3: They lost?
Speaker 5: Eighty percent say they can hang with the NHL's best seven hundred and nine votes.
Speaker 3: Already.
Speaker 4: Canucks starting a six game home stand against Columbus on Friday, and man, if it's half as entertaining as yesterday's game in Minnesota was, people will get more than their money's worth on Friday Sunday against Tampa Bay at one As as we mentioned, you've got some photos.
Speaker 6: Ryan, where we're going, Well, it's downtown. But the submission is from Prince George. Oh, it's somebody from Brett Bratt from Pretty George.
Speaker 3: Yeah, big family.
Speaker 5: Hey boys, I was wondering if you could send your well wishes and positive thoughts from my wife who's in an eight hour surgery today at VGH. Your name is Hayley. We absolutely do send our best wishes and positive thoughts. Are you going to show the other Yeah? I want to see the other one because it's of a couple, Brett and a former Canuck.
Speaker 3: Okay, but first of all, all the best to hit. Yeah, absolutely, we wish her the best.
Speaker 5: And then uh, there's a photo with Brett and former Knuck defenseman.
Speaker 3: Doddy.
Speaker 4: We met him at the guests the former knduct defenseman.
Speaker 3: Remember we met him in the parking.
Speaker 4: Dave and I had a conversation last week at the Caducks ninety four course, right right right, you want to say, of course, because you don't like the fact that I used to you know, cover those guys back in the day. Yeah, you're not meeting a nicer person than Da Babbage.
Speaker 3: What a player, But he looks intimidating still, maybe it's a mustache, I don't know what.
Speaker 4: Well, and remember the big goal he scored.
Speaker 3: Well, he's and his brother was a great player to Game five.
Speaker 4: He scored a big goal in Game five, jumped up in the air at Madison Square Garden. Rangers were up three to one. They were supposed to clinch their you know, first Cup in a long long time, and he scored that big old just when it looked like the Rangers were gonna come back. I know you hate this Ryan, because I'm reminiscing about ninety five.
Speaker 5: I can't talk about the eighty two Canucks and don can't talk about the ninety four Canucks or Ryan gets in a snit.
Speaker 3: You know, very quickly check drive through very quickly. Huh check go through, go right now? Read hold on a sec here.
Speaker 5: Check and the Salvation Army are teaming up for the thirty first annual drive through, happening on December sixth. Tune in from five to seven PM's Check will be broadcasting live from three locations. You got, Victoria, West Shore and Nanaimo. Thirty five locations are accepting toy donations from now until December sixth. If you can't make it in person, you can also make a cast donation to the online Kettle. Get all the details a Checknews dot Ca, slash drive.
Speaker 6: Through and the online Kettle can be donated to on this side of the water as well, So donning all the viewers if you want to help out online Kettle.
Speaker 3: All right, we're good. Yep.
Speaker 4: So Wednesday is in the books and man, I just take it over. That game last night just awesome, how entertaining listen and had playoff feel. I think Rick Doggets said that afterwards did, among other things, thanks so much for tuning in, folks at putting up with us on behalf of Ryan Derek Rick, everybody here at Oh Boy Check, I'm don and you have to date in the world of sports.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest show content.