Speaker 1: This is WBT, Boston's news radio, redefining local news.
Speaker 2: Eighty seven degrees in Boston, it feels more like ninety five degrees at eleven o'clock. Very sticky out there today. Good to have you with us. I'm Nicole Davis. Here's what's happening. Well, we are feeling the heat, but some rain is on the way.
Speaker 1: Hot in very humid today, with enough sunshine to get past ninety in places. But watch for a strong thunderstorm late today into tonight.
Speaker 2: Not ezactly Weather's Joe Lundberg. Those showers and storms will be usheringing cooler air for the rest of the week, but it will still be very humid. Render a heat advisory till eight o'clock tonight for most of the Commonwealth. The flood watch is up starting at two o'clock this afternoon. More coming up in the forecast in just about two minutes now. In Central Texas, the search for victims continues in the wake of devastating flash floods, as more warnings have been posted for that part of the state. Offici'll say more than one hundred people so far have been confirmed dead, including twenty seven care in person councilors in an overnight summer camp The debate is raging in the national stage and locally over the lack of warning before the flood started. Here's ABC's Jim Ryan.
Speaker 3: The downpour began before dawn on Friday, when people were asleep in their beds. There are vs or intents in the many campgrounds along the Guadalupe River. On Fox News, Texas Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick says.
Speaker 4: Had we had sirens along this area up and down, it's possible that that would have saved some of these lives.
Speaker 3: He intends to bring up the issue during the current special session of the state legislature with an eye toward providing state funding for Hill Country flood sirens. Jim Rily in ABC News Kerrville, Texas.
Speaker 2: At eleven oh one. Amid President Trump's latest federal funding cuts to higher education, Boston University is also taking a hit.
Speaker 4: As a part of a plan to cut the overall budget by five percent. In the school laid off one hundred and twenty BU employees and eliminated one hundred and twenty vacant positions. As for the overall impact, there's still a lot of uncertainty around these cutbacks.
Speaker 1: You don't know the percentages. I mean they mentioned another twenty that they're going to, you know, change their schedule, which I assume, you know, maybe cut.
Speaker 5: Them to part time.
Speaker 4: Austin University President Melissa Gilliam said the move was essential to address financial headwinds, saying in a statement, quote, this is a day of loss for all of us. There's no way around this. We know our community may need time to adjust to these difficult changes, yet it is also a necessary step in ensuring our future.
Speaker 2: That report there from CBS News Boston's Logan Hall. There is no word on any changes to tuition in light of those cutbacks as comes as Governor Healy announces the Trump administration is withholding grant money from schools around the state. In all, one hundred eight million dollars in education grants were already earmarked by Congress from Massachusetts, but last week the Trump administration then said it would not send out the money as previously planned. The Feds now say the grants are under review to see if they align with the Trump administration's values. Governor Healey's office as the funding was set to support several things here, including bullying intervention and after school programs for kids. You walk outside right now is definitely sticky and steamy, and it's one of those days where it's only going to be warmer still for at least the next few hours. Now, when it comes to a breeze to cool you off, not much of one maybe five ten miles an hour, mostly coming from the west southwest, and later on today many of us could get up to about the mid nineties. Especially inland. On the coast, you'll stay likely in the upper eighties. And for all of us, it's going to be a very humid day. We have due points in the seventies across the board, very tropical fields. Real field temps for many of us could top one hundred degrees now. Later on this afternoon into tonight, we could have a couple of showers and storms. Those storms could be strong at times, with damaging wind gusts and flash flooding potentially. That's why we have a floodwatch up from two o'clock this afternoon through two o'clock this coming morning. And we have a load tonight in the upper sixties. Tomorrow, big changes coming. Temperature wise, high's only in the low seventies in Boston, upper seventies inland, lots of gray skies though a couple of passing showers possible, staying humid. More of the same on Thursday with some storms and we've got a high seventy five. Let's got to look at our temperatures right now. Eighty five degrees in Lawrence, feeling like ninety one, in Norwood eighty nine. It feels like ninety seven on the Cape right now. In Chatham it's seventy six and cloudy eighty two in Worcester, and in Boston it's eighty seven and it feels like ninety five. Lawmakers on Beacon Hill are trying to curb bad driving habits, and we're not talking so much about cars more agile riders here.
Speaker 1: Motorized bikes, scooters and mopeds are a very popular way to get around and are seemingly only getting more popular. But along with that comes some bad riding behavior, which these folks have seen plenty of. Oh you have pedestrians, you have the bike lanes.
Speaker 4: You have folks on.
Speaker 3: These scooters and mopeds dipping in and out of traffic. Oh yeah, I mean you just hoping that thing and you zip down. You better hope someone doesn't open that door, though, because on You're sliced.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 1: Seeleida. You know, I think it's a nuisance, to be honest with you. That's why the Committee on Transportation is looking at a bill which would create a task for us to better enforce current laws steering riders in a safer and more legal direction in the back bay. James Rojas WBZ, Boston, SNOOS Radio.
Speaker 2: Eleven oh six. A volcanic eruption in Southeast Asia has led to several canceled flights. Here's ABC's Andrew Dimberg.
Speaker 6: The frightening scene is playing out overseas in Indonesia. The country's most active volcano erupted on Monday, belching out a column of superheated gas and ash as high as eleven miles into the sky. That's more than twice as high as the cruising altitude for commercial jetliners, resulting in the cancelation of at least five return flights between Australia and Bali. So far, there have been no reports of casualties.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: Over at Logan Airport right now, about fifty flights have been delayed, three flights canceled, So not a bad day here in Boston. But again, if you're heading out to that part of the world. Definitely check ahead. And speaking of planes, you know, we've heard the stories before about those devices with we lithium ion batteries causing fires on flights. It has happened again, this time on a flight from Atlanta to Fort Lansdale.
Speaker 5: A Delta flight made an emergency landing in Fort Myers after a portable battery caught fire in someone's bag. Here's the pilot talking to the tower from liveatc dot net. Well, the mag mag has been contained and we think it was a lithum a battery thatlves then a containedent bag. The airline says. Flight attendants quickly extinguished the flames and all one hundred ninety one people on board were not injured. So far this year, according to the FAA, there have been thirty four incidents involving lithium batteries, eleven of which were due to battery packs. At Piper's CBS News.
Speaker 2: You are now in the league. For news updates throughout the day, Listen to WBZ Radio on the iHeartRadio app. I'm Nicole Davis, w b Lean, Boston's news radio