Speaker 1: Lady and gentleman for feel not on video right before in line, like you guys ready to do this? And I guess Dylan reach for something. Okay, but from the way the camera is looking, you just look like you walked right off. So I was like, you could have said, hey, just give us this, just give me a minute, but you're just gone. I was like, okay, he's he's ready or not. But I'm mcclown, Prince of Beatles Trash. Now I'm joined.
Speaker 2: By Hey, I am I had a nickname? What was the recently diseased Dilmas deceased? I am the bjbjbj taylor Field vid.
Speaker 1: All that out three times something appeal one of those big sandworms though instead but uh, yes, they show him we are here because by time this comes out next week, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, the sequel will be out for this film home and yes, we are doing a retrospective for Gosh, I didn't get the year. I know it's before eighty nine.
Speaker 2: I think it's eighty eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because yeah, eighty eight, it's the year before Batman eighty nine.
Speaker 2: So I realized I hadn't got my ticket until four seconds ago. And there's only like three or four seats left, so I just barely snuck in there for the early one. So that worked out nicely.
Speaker 1: I'm excited for the next cast. When we talk about news or whether it's the box office draft, because this is a movie they'll just build. Juice is apparently just like tracking super well. Like if you I say, I think be and Taylor I got the news when we're waiting in line for I think it was Alien ron List and it's like supposed to be at least like minimum do twenty million better than the Flashed It a couple of years ago, Michael Keaton. And if you had told me that when those two movies are being produced, like, oh yeah, Flash has in the bag between the Keen movies, and I like, I don't know if it's just this franchise. I don't know if it's also has General Taga, who's like a hot news star. It's just that it's tracking I think like a sixty eight, like a really good, like top ten opening weekend for this year. It's just like I have my money on that for Beetlejuice. I really didn't you know, for.
Speaker 3: You, Dylan, you drafted it that is good.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, that is great. I mean, I think it makes a lot of sense because Wednesday was such a huge show and people want that more Burton or Tega combo situation, so that makes sense. But then you also, like, I feel like you're hitting that younger market there, but then you're also hitting that like nostalgia market as well. So I think a lot of movies that have come out recent like Indiana Jones, which didn't do great, like maybe that was only serving one audience and not like the younger audience potentially, So something like this I think makes a lot of sense. It's kind of hitting different different markets, so that's that's cool. I'm glad to hear that it's potentially going to do pretty well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like I said, I'd kind of lost faith because I was like, oh, did do people just not care? I think you're right with the younger stuff, but I still even thought with Keenan, I'm like, God, if people don't care about him because the flash happened, but clearly they do, but they don't.
Speaker 2: Maybe they don't even really see him in this.
Speaker 1: Role, you know, could be they just like beatle Geist, you know. So which speaking of seeing I'm gonna throw to mister Musk because he is one of two people on this cast. You know, Kirkna was supposed to be here, but you know, not here. But he's one or two peel and geekers had not seen Pale Juice. So this movie, yeah, now what thirty years? God, yeah, over thirty years since this has come out.
Speaker 2: Now has my Matt approaching?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's yeah, that is insane to think about that. But obviously Tim Burton directed this. This was kind of in the middle, in the middle or the beginning of him like really blowing up, because this is before like Edwards their hands and Batman. I think this is one of the This is one of those starts where it's like, Okay, this is who's this guy? And then you got Keaton, you want a Ryder, you got Catherine O'Hara, you got Alec Baldwin, Gina Davis, just a very stacked cast of people of the era. So obviously it's an older movie. Deal. So how did this uh, how'd this work for you watching this in twenty twenty four?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think it it eluded me. I mean I remember growing up watching Adam's family a lot like that was a family thing, and so I wonder where the differentiation was between that and this. I, like I've said many times on Coopers, I was very like easily frightened child, and I think this looked like a scary thing, and so I just like had no interest. But I like, really, the only memory I have is just like maybe my sister was watching it and I had like walked through the room or something like that and it seemed scary or something, so I didn't I didn't stick around to watch it. So yeah, it's it's eluded me forever. And I just really liked the trailers for the new one more when we got into like the weird zany stuff that seemed really fun to me. And yeah, I just watched it a couple hours ago, so I'm pretty fresh on it. And uh, I don't know. I guess I'm like, I'm I'm not neutral, but like I liked it, but I didn't. I didn't love it. There's nothing that I particularly disliked, but I guess I'm just not super hot on it. I don't think it was like super funny, although it definitely had like a few funny moments. I think my favorite part is just the aesthetic of it, like the combination of the miniature, the miniature set up the diorama mixed with like the actual town and then all the crazy the creatures and characters, and like the visual effects. I think this is like the perfect amount of like early special effects that actually, like the jankiness fits perfectly for the movie. I love that the new one, at least from the trailers, is like trying to recapture that in a way. I feel like it's doing a really good job of capturing that early kind of janky CGI that isn't too refined and polished. I think that in terms of the stories, like nothing too special there, but it was good enough. I love the cast in here. I think it's really fun. Everyone's really well cast. There's some really fun sequences. So yeah, it was a good time to come to it. I don't know what I really expected from it, and I guess I maybe just expected to like it a little bit more than I did, but I still had a decent time. I don't see it as one that I will be revisiting, though that's like very often. At least it's not gonna go in my Halloween rotation on the yearly basis.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, mister Field, where were you the first time you saw it?
Speaker 3: And then today the first time I saw this movie, I I couldn't tell you.
Speaker 4: And I don't even think I saw it all the way through. I think that this is the.
Speaker 3: First time I've actually sat down and committed and actually watched the entire thing. I think I've had many times where I've started it, I just haven't finished it. Not because I've been bored. I think I just have other things I just kind of pop up and I got to do. This has never been one that I've been racing to see, and it's not one that I ever really watched as a kid. Yeah, I don't know what really the hang up is, but I've always been familiar with it. I've always recognized the scenes when I see them in like memes or random clips here and there. And the music as well. I've always just like like, oh, that's a Beatle juice. And I really love the score in this movie. I there's the main theme is great. I really really love it. Yeah, And I just think after watching it now though it's it's not something again, I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: I'll add to my Halloween rotation.
Speaker 3: As you put that, Dylan, It's not something I'm gonna be racing to rewatch anytime soon, but it's one that I definitely I got a kick out of it. And I like Michael Keaton a lot in this role. I feel like he's just fucking balls the walls crazy in this. And I can't remember what the interview was, but he was on this talk show and he was talking about beetlejuice and this this guy.
Speaker 4: Calls him over.
Speaker 3: I can't remember if they were like behind the scenes somewhere on another film project or whatnot, but they call Michael Keaton over and like, you gotta look at this, And they bring Michael Keaton to this guy and he shows them this huge detailed tattoo. Michael Keaton's say, this is the most detailed beal juice tatto I've ever seen in my life. And the guy like flexes his arm out and he looks over Michael Keaton.
Speaker 4: He says, are you done?
Speaker 3: And he gets up and walks away, and Michael Keaton starts laughing because the guy had no idea that he was beeal juice.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: But his character that he delivers in this role just outstanding. He's crazy. He's zany, he's wonky. When he's like changing clothes trying to keep the Uh oh, why can't I remember the family's name.
Speaker 4: No no, no, no, not them, ah.
Speaker 1: The Maitland's the dead people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the dead people.
Speaker 3: So they're trying to walk away and call off the deal, and like Bealg's just changes clothes to look like like Baldwin's characters.
Speaker 1: Like we're shopping the same story over the.
Speaker 4: Same and he's trying to like.
Speaker 3: Personate them, and uh, there's a lot of inappropriate things I don't think would we're necessarily fly by, Like when they're talking and he's like lifting up the girl's skirt and he's like leaning back and he's being like zany about it, like, oh, I don't know if it's Saney, but he's just weird, and he's like hugging Alec Baldwin but then touching her backside, like a lot of interpropriate things I wouldn't fly but just his his angriness and and stuff. I love the character because he's just such a uncomfortable character, and you get like evil dead effects thrown in here too, which I can really appreciate because it's it's uh, weirdly gross and freaky, but it's just it's just, yeah, it just feels like a Tim Burton movie at its core, and I really.
Speaker 4: Do like it a lot.
Speaker 1: So yeah, So for me, I couldn't really tell you the first time I've seen it because I feel like this is one of those movies. I have a handful of movies that just it's like I was programmed and they're just like he saw Beetlejuice and that was it. Like I don't have a distinct memory. I've seen this too many times account that is a Halloween rotation. Obviously, I watch it again for this, but I'll probably watch again come this fall. But this is definitely one of my favorites in this type of genre, like i'd like horror comedy because like I would never really call this a horror movie, but it is in that route where Okay, we're using ghost we're using dead people, we're using gross things too for comedica event if anything, I guess I would call like a comedy horror. I know it sounds stupid, but I there is almost like a differential between the two where like Scream, you know it's this ghost face killer, but there's a lot of you know, pop culture references or lots of almost tongue in cheek references to movie making everything like that right where this is comedic in the Guys of Okay, a spooky ghost type Poltergeist movie. And no, so I can't remember it, just I know it's been in my life, my whole life. I think I probably saw it at a younger age because even though there are some inappropriate things, which what you're referring to, Taylor, mikele Kan seems to say in the sequel that they're not not doing those things in this one because they said, like, well, beal Juice shouldn't really be a politically correct character. And I do agree with that, because at the end, the beal Juice is like the ends up being the villain of the movie. Right. I think in the sequel he might work with the heroes a little bit, but I still don't think he's gonna have redemption art where it's like, oh, beal Juice is a good guy now, you know. I think it's gonna be like, well, let's work together, and then I put the genie back in the bottle again. Right, So I think for me because I feel like it's similar to a Shrek situation where if you're a certain age, you're not gonna get certain references or certain things. You're just help Beatle Juice is a weird guy or just even like Lydia Deats's character mentioned suicide multiple times, right, And I watched it with my kids, and luckily they don't pick up on that stuff. So that's why I think probably as a kid that light goosebumps are afraid of dark's. I'm sure my parents just put this in the rotation at some point, being like, well, it's even then. I was watching Chucky Nightmare and Elmstry and stuff like that as a kid, but at a younger age, I'm sure just gone in there, and no, I enjoy it. I think it's like a nice brisk like ninety minutes, doesn't overstay, it's welcome. I think the plot is like if you so, I love this movie and enjoyment wise, I really have no critiques this. I was trying to watch, like, Okay, how did I think about this as like a reviewer, because I've never watched Beetle Juice that way, And there is some stuff with the story. It's like they never really explain and some people are like, oh, that's why it's great, But it's like they never really explain like half the things with Beatle Juice and why he's doing what he needs to do or the rules of this world. Why is he doing things like you know, taking tea set of people's mouth or doing this. But he can't just snap his fingers just make them go away or die. There's all these things, like even like with the afterlife, there's all these rules and regulations, and at one point like, well, you've got to get those people out of your house, but like why really, you know, why does it even matter really if the humans know about you? You know, they talk about the hand. But but so there is little strings along the way where it's like they just kind of throw stuff out there, I think, just to give you some steaks. But at the end of the day, it's almost like if you were to add more exposition and more stuff to that, you might lose some of the fun of this movie. And I don't really want that. This is this was like I think it was a mind f for me because I grew up Austin Keaton as Batman and that's when he has the mask off, has the hair I think even to this day, I know it's Ketan, but it has the effect of like he Fledger's Joker, and I don't think it's just goes to white paint. I don't see Michael keat when I watched this movie. I hear him sometimes, but I just don't ever put the two and two together. I think this go around is a little bit different because he has age. I can see it a bit more. But with the makeup and the style and like the even they give him like a body shape to give him make a bit heavier. I can just take the characters and parsect them away from each other, and I think that always helps. And he's just such a fun character. The writing, the visuals, all the gigs. He's just a disgusting low life but you just kind of always want to see him, which is just funny because he's only in the movie for fourteen minutes and thirty seconds, like movie's named after him, but he is really not Yeah, yeah, he's not. And I think the sequel apparently the same way. Whether he's not that much, and I think that's probably for the best because I think Beatle Juice like off so you can make the argument and they Deadpool this year, big movie, but that's something a little bit different because that character can be endearing as a good guy. I think if you have Beatle Juice, who is a post or heroes in it too much, it could be a character that greats on you. So it's great and small doses and yeah, Keiden to do this and then Batman, like a year apart from each other. Just incredible. Yeah, the rest of the cast is good. I love alat of the dark humor. I love a lot of the subtle humor, just little moments, even if it's like with the realtor at the beginning of the movie. I'm not like belly aching laughing. But I have a good time at this also, And yeah, you guys mentioned the score is absolutely it just does a good ambience. I remember the first time, not the first time, but just when I started to pick up on this stuff and watching it last night, when they when Adam and oh god, what's her character's name? Now, I'm forgetting it. I gotta pull it up here, Genie days. But anyways, when they go speak to the you know, hand book people, and they come back to the house and they walk in and just quiet and you have this kind of creepy but revelation type of score going on. Barbara, thank you. It all works and it all sounds similar, but there's always new stuff going on. And this is in the nineties when Danny Elfman is like at the height of his power. Is he He's doing this, He's about to do Batman, He's about to do Night and before Christmas, Like, there's so many classics coming up for him. So yeah, all around, this is definitely one of my Burden favorites. I don't know, I'd have to think about it. It might be other than Batman Returns. It might be my favorite Burden movie, So I take the Batman bias of it. It might be my favorite. Actually I'm thinking about it because I'm trying to think of other ones of bird movies that I really enjoy. But yeah, no, this gets all high marks for me. So I'm a big fan of Beetlejuice, and I'm cautiously excited for the sequel because I feel like the seaquel. Could you never know of these legacy sequels how much they venture, Like even like Alien Rommels I think was a good one, but even at times you go, okay, you did too much. This is a movie I could see almost doing too much the whole time. But I really, I really don't know, because I know there's lots of stuff out there, but other than the future, as we've talked about for cast, I have tried to avoid them. So it's interesting.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you about that a little bit, just because I don't know. I mean, I've talked to you on for hundreds of hours, probably about movies, and I feel like I don't really think of you as a Beetlejuice fan or super fan, and I wonder if it's just you know, we talk about so many things.
Speaker 1: I can I definitely say super fany thing, But.
Speaker 2: I don't know, like I'm kind of I'm maybe more surprised that you haven't been more looking forward to this throughout the year and aren't super excited even now, given that you love it so much.
Speaker 1: I think again, I know he's in a little bit as bad as it sounds, I'm mostly excited just to see Keatan again because I just know he can kill it, and he hasn't lost that. I think it's just because now we live in age where there's been so many meh legacy sequels or you know, sequels that take a long time, like we just talked about a couple of weeks ago, The Credibles too, right, Like we've all been down that road. So it's like the thing of I've always wanted a Beatle Juice too, but at the same time, I know the risks you can fall down. And also because like sure he did Wednesday, but it's not like Tim Burns has been killing it for the last decade. He's had a lot of like a couple of misses. So that's where luckily it's like it had its premiere at the Fenness Film Festival. It's getting good reviews, but I still need to really sit back and wait because if it's just a movie that's just doing a bunch of references and looting an eye winking to the first one, and even then the same thing that like, what's what does Beele Juice want this time? You know, I don't need to be after Jenner or Tay or something like, I just I don't know. It's because I also just think of Beetlejuice when I've watched this movie. I want more. But at the same time it kind of ends in like a perfect way. There's just even stuff like can of sequel, how do you bring back out? Like, what is your excuse for not bringing back Alc Balm and Geena Davis? They're ghosts, right, How are they not?
Speaker 4: In my spears? Right, They're supposed to still be there, I.
Speaker 1: Know, but so how are they not in this movie?
Speaker 2: And it looks like the dad I don't know if he's uh, he's dead, really.
Speaker 4: Funeral that they're holding for us. Yes, he's the grampa right.
Speaker 2: Uh, yes, wicked Peter right now. And it does not say that I say.
Speaker 1: What that he's dead? Not in real life, he's dead in the movie. They open up with that could that actor Okay, okay, that actors had a lot of bad legal issues, Yes, to do with.
Speaker 2: Other age timdy bean. He hasn't been in stuff lately, so that explains that it was.
Speaker 1: Illegal issues with underaged people. So you get blacklisted very quickly. So that's yeah, So that's why they killed this character off and they put that out there very early, like this character is not coming back. So that was an unfortunate thing. But that's where it's just like the same thing when I watched this movie, it's kind of not I'm not gonna say perfect as an ending. It's just kind of like perfect is like, yeah, what more do you do? Like and this is where I have it in the trivia. But they tried many times, Like in the nineties they were writing a Beetle Juice goes Hawaiian and Kevin Smith talked about it, but like they got a bunch of writers on there to try and crack it, and they just never could. And I remember Kem Smith tells a story when they sat him down and he's working warm bers. They're like, we really want you to write bele Juice. He's like, didn't they say everything they kind of need to say with beeal Juice? And I've kind of taken that approach beal Juice of like I love beal Juice, but it's like, yeah, what can't other than seeing Keyden again, It's like, what can you do with this? That's like a compelling story And that's what exciting about the sequel but this But I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, do people like this movie because it has a compelling story. I don't know if that's the case. I think it's just true these any characters, funny visuals, kind of a weird setting where there's always like like there's even like one scene in this where they you know, they go into the afterlife area they're looking through and there's like a you open the door, like all the excise the exercise extra how do you.
Speaker 1: Call exercise exercise semens?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's just like a little passing thing. But it's like if you want to, like you could dig into that and that could be interesting and lower thing you could discover. And I feel like there's a lot of little breadcrumbs like that to just do anything with them. Once again, if it's just like a short, lighthearted movie, doesn't need to be some some crazy plot. But yeah, I'm not surprised that it hasn't happened until this point, but I guess I'm attle surprised that they've had so much trouble getting it off the ground. I suppose I.
Speaker 1: Think you're right with a story that I think maybe it's more so just like can they for the people love this kind of reek capture the magic in a sense, right, because that's a good thing. Like the whole movie. I'd say, i'd have to look when beal Juice comes in. But like they frame like there's a lot of mystery in this movie, right, like when they die. The first act is in figuring out that they're dead, right, and then after it's who's Beetlejuice? And then what do we do with this family? You can do the family thing again, but you're dead and the Beetlejuice thing, that mystery's gone, right, Like you can't build up like who's this beetlegeis guy and what it's especially in this movie, you're gonna have my own a rider who was alive being to gener or Taia being like, hey, don't say Beetlejuice because X, Y and Z happens and it's really bad, you know. So that's the thing where think's just a magic thing. But yeah, like again I do love beal Juice. I don't think i'd have like my top one hundred movies, but like it's for how it's a movie that is watched once a year in the household and the kids really love it too. Now, so right, yeah love it? What are you? Oh good?
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say it's it's it's funny to think.
Speaker 3: About how the fact that in the eighties eighty eight, when Michael Keaton did beal Juice and then a year difference he plays Batman. Jump ahead to where we are now and he plays Batman again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, then your difference he plays Beal Juice.
Speaker 1: It's just it's how did it all work out? And what does he do next? I'm trying to think he plays mister mom again or a duplicity, you know, That's what I was gonna ask you. How do you feel because I feel like we've talked about this before where I feel just ket in general is like a blind spot in your like I feel like all the movies you had seen in your like other like what are the like? I feel like we talked about during Homecoming time because when he was the Vulture villain and it was like for us that have grew with Beal Juice and Batman's like, oh this is really cool. But like obviously, like I feel like I'm not go I don't think you're gonna come with some hot take being like, oh, he's awful in this movie, but what do you think about in this movie from what you've seen him in the past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to I mean, Birdman comes to like growing.
Speaker 1: Up, like, what are you another Guys fan with.
Speaker 2: A thing called tenacious d Time Fixers a music video. He's into Tenacious D music video.
Speaker 1: So there you go.
Speaker 2: I have to go check that out.
Speaker 1: Were you another guy's fan with Will Ferrell Mark Walburn? That like cop comedy.
Speaker 2: He's the captain and that, Yeah he's a captain.
Speaker 1: You know he's in.
Speaker 2: Well, Jackie Brown, I would have seen recently. I don't even remember him being in Jackie Brown.
Speaker 1: I don't remember that either.
Speaker 2: We gotta reretro that one. Yeah, so yeah, I mean I guess I know.
Speaker 1: I remember b I checked. I thought you said Jackie Moon like the I did not say Jackie Maine. I thought you meant the Will What was that Wilfare basketball movie?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it might be familiar.
Speaker 1: Semi pro. Yeah that's what I thought. Yeah, I remember jack But now I thought you said semi pro like he's in that movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, So I don't know if I really have a lot of touchdowns to him in like a nostalgic way. I guess. But yeah, I mean I think I think he's very fun. I like the eccentric noss of it. I think this movie is really I don't know, it's really going for like the random humor, which is always like okay, like is this funny or is it just so random that your mind just kind of spaghettifies at some certain point. So I do think he's really fun. I like the visual forum, as Taylor said, like the sexual harassment stuff of it like doesn't add anything to this movie. It's just like, Okay, we're really doing that. Like even it's gross and interesting what you said about the father character, because I even noticed in this movie like spanksman on a rioter's ass like at some point, which is like extra extra disgusting thinking about everything naturally.
Speaker 1: Well, between that and like did you ever have you ever seen Ferris Bueller a day off or whatever?
Speaker 2: I have seen that at some point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he plays the principal that's after Ferris Bueller the whole time. So it's just certain things like oh man, this really sucks, like the framing of it all, you know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I don't know. It's interesting, as you mentioned there, the run time and how or his screen time rather relative to runtime. It is cool and I think it's it'll be interesting to see, yuh what they do with that with the sequel, because obviously it's a big part of why people would want to go, And I think there's a lot of people who maybe haven't rewatched the movie in a long time, who will probably in their brain change that ratio and think, oh, he was intot a bunch and that's what the movie is all about him, right, Yeah, maybe like him and wenonas who they think of or something. Then it's like, oh, Alec Baldman, it's really Alec Baldwman, Geen and Davis's story.
Speaker 1: And then i'd say went on rights like the third lead, you know, like before them.
Speaker 2: So I'm curious how people will feel with that if they haven't rewatched it recently and kind of gotten reminded of that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: And the Beatle Juice, the Beatles, I don't know with the there drop of the Beele just Beetle Juice. The Runhouse an hour forty four, so it's about ten minutes more so not which I feel like Warrens when you're krying to bring back some my classic characters. So I think that'll that doesn't seem like, oh my god, like if you have Beele Juice in it for this amount of time, like it's the same if it was a two hour movie, then be like, well you might need to have some more juice in there, you know, but.
Speaker 2: A little more juice beetlejuice. But no, I think he's a fun character. Born. Yeah, it's a very crazy Zany role for sure. So I don't know, I I I really enjoyed him for the most part.
Speaker 1: Do you imagine Dylan? Why So back in the day when he was cast, it was because of this and other things. People legitimately wrote letters to Warner Brothers saying why he was like the most awful pick for Batman? Could you have seen that? Where like to take some of the whiplash of people go see him Beetlejuice and he did like some other comedies and stuff, and then like it is for me. I think nowadays it's different because we tell about actors range, but it is I think about like you see this and then someone goes, oh, that's the guy's gonna be Batman, you know, like the guy that beats up criminals and everything like that. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, people are dumb a lot of times, so it doesn't surprise me. But I mean I feel like if anyone back in the day had seen him in any other movie and then this, then hopefully they would have the you know, neurons to be like, oh yeah, that's there's some range there. You can do other stuff too, But yeah, even like with people shitting on, like Robert Pattison as Batman before you had that, and I mean some people maybe still don't like that, that rendition, but you know, people get things in their mind, like whatever an actor's most popular movie is, obviously that's gonna stick in a lot more people's minds naturally, So a lot of people think it's Twilight when they think of Robert Pattison. But he's a great actor who's done a million other things too, So I'm sure Michael Keaton's the same thing. I can't think if they were, just because I don't know him very well. Is his act in history? If was there a movie that you would I guess you wouldn't have seen anything before that Batman had existed. But I don't know, going back and early, is there anything that like seems Batman esque?
Speaker 1: And there was like, no, he's all doing this type, but he was all doing comedic stuff like throw Mom off a train with Dan and Vito, where they like make a they make as one of my favorite comedies. They make a deal I've seen that movie.
Speaker 2: Actually weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they make a deal to like kill one kill each other's mom, and then they either kill each other's girlfriends.
Speaker 2: Like you definitely seen that movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that movie. I learned the other day that Dani Filogat nominated for an Oscar for that movie, which is crazy. But well, I'm waiting one one year, we're gonna find an excuse to make Dylan have to watch Keen's Batman because it's still you've not you've actually not seen any of those classic Batmans with Kilmore or Clooney.
Speaker 2: Because we're still Adam West.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, one day every ten years, we'll make them see one that will come to there. So w And you know, I think you're more in the keyten path where you grew up with him quite a bit. You know.
Speaker 3: If I had to pinpoint my first movie that I ever experienced him with, it, I want to say probably Batman, but I wouldn't I wouldn't guarantee it.
Speaker 4: I feel like though him being kind of like.
Speaker 3: A more prominent actor than familiar with growing up is pretty accurate though. I mean, I feel like I was just inclined to his movie, especially when I got older like the other guys like doncal Chase and Waterfalls. Like you already said, there's just yeah, there's just certain roles that he just pops off in that.
Speaker 4: I really do, like, have.
Speaker 1: You seen Birdman? I wouldn't think no, No.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen Birdman. But what else has he been in?
Speaker 3: Michael our RoboCop? I forgot Michael Keaton isn't there? Right, That's one that I have not revisited. Jack Frost is a classic.
Speaker 4: I usually watch that.
Speaker 1: Christ do you know what that movie is?
Speaker 2: I deeply just told you for that that would definitely be my touchdown as a kid that was watching every year.
Speaker 1: Kind of magic Harmonica brings your dad back because.
Speaker 2: The singer and the Keaton guy after all, who knows? It seems like.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize he was in the Minyon's movie. That's interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he plays just a voice. Yeah cars as well. Wow, I don't know about that. That's sounds made up anything else but keeno, you want to go somewhere else? Taylor in this retro.
Speaker 3: I think I already highlighted pretty much his character. Like I said, he's just he doesn't feel like Keaton. I guess you said that too, like you can see him playing a batman, but when you look at him in this role, like you can hear it in his voice, but he's you don't feel like he is Michael Keaton. And I stand by what you said with that. I think that's a pretty good coverage. But moving on from uh beadle Juice. So who else do we want to talk about here? What is the mum's name from home alone?
Speaker 4: I feel about it.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't know, Ohara, Well, I'm not sure. In the movie, it's want something deeds. I can't remember. Obviously, I'll get it.
Speaker 3: Her character I just get a kick out of I like that the family dynamic was that they had to get scared of the home, but when they found out that, they were like singing and dancing at the dinner table and like the shrimp hands grab them.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 3: And it just turns out like you know what, they're just trying to market this now and they're they're all for it. And I like how ultimately it ends with the movie with them just being happy and just content, like, yeah, we got the ghosts here, that's it. But the whole theme of them just trying to turn around and her artwork, just as Tim Burton styled. But she's just she's a funny character. I like her dynamic and the story. I like her dynamic with Panana Rider, and I'm really happy she is back for the next one. I think to actually see beal juice in her engaging more in dialogue is gonna be a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: So I think that's I think it's a good call. She has a funny character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's great. I've not watched it's creak. I've just seen highlights and I hear great things about it, and.
Speaker 2: I'm dropping like one gift per day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, Yeah, because I only I think has watched it three times, so I probably will on this next time off I have, but uh yeah, between this and then even just home alone in that era, and she's always popped a bunchet stuff. But she has great comedic timing and she has like a I think she plays like the classic kind of stuck up almost like a stuck up bitch in a sense, but she still gives enough shades to make her seem like a like a regular human and not completely a dirt bag. You know, it seems like she might have She's pretty self warrented, but especially I think near the end, you know, I think they do a good wrinkle of making sure you know that she's the step mom. And especially I like in the nineties that had such a bad contentation where I feel like nowadays not as bad, like I feel like not. I feel like there's only millions of people that have to for like, I come from a divorce house where I have Christmas with my dad, my stepmom, and my mom all together, Like it's never ever been an issue of like being all together. But in the nineties they felt like if it's a step parent, you knew, oh that's a bad thing because they don't love the kid or whatever. They don't have a good relationship there, And maybe that's something not that I need, like a deep scene. I think maybe in the movie I had always like a little bit more with her and Lydia because they just they make that comment, and I feel like they never take two witch one on one time together. So I would have liked to dive a little more into that. Which is good with them being back, because with that father character being away, it is now just them two together with the granddaughter, so they might get into that in this movie because I think there's fun things to play with the multiple generations there. But uh yeah, she's she's great. And even the guy plays Ortho or whatever. I think it's Ortho.
Speaker 2: Orlo or not Auto.
Speaker 1: No, it's not Auto, know, but he's just a fun side character, like breaking through the window of like, oh, you won't go through the door the first time because it's bad luck as the dead people. So that's a good little moments with their little fashion grew in them, and that for me is also just a really good shot set piece of them going through the house and spraying stuff. Just the framing of things like when Geena Daves is coming down the stairs and it's just like the measuring tape comes in a frame. It's like ah, and just the closet, like there're that whole sequence of going up and down. It's just a little thing, but it's it's shot very well.
Speaker 4: So m hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love Katherine Mahara in this. It's it's funny watching this now, and I feel like there are some roots here that lead to like her Shit's Creek character in terms of like that's some of the ways she's pulling off and just being a very like high class individual always wearing these very extravagant outfits of that sort of stuff. And h yeah, as you mentioned, Taylor, that dinner scene is definitely one of the highlights in here for me, one of one of my favorite sequences, just because of the zaniness of it, but also just like the ride, all the characters are going going on where they're like freaked out but they start to enjoy it. I think is a very fun dynamic. And yeah, apparently there's like a Beatlejuice musical like a sequence like that, Like I would love to see what that on stage musical version would be like, because that would like sequences like that are just made for like a theatric situation. So uh yeah, I think I think she's really fun and I hope she gets a I don't think she will, but I hope it gets like a slightly bigger role or like a little bit more to do, like maybe a little bit more variety in her in the role in the new one. I'm not, like I said, I'm not holding out because I think it's gonna be mostly about Winona and Jenna Ortega, but hopefully she does have some good content in there and isn't just like there at the beginning to set it up as like a continuation of this thing from thirty years ago.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, about miss ryan Or were you talking about her? You know, she plays Letia. Dat's the classic kind of I'd say it's a lot of stereotype in the nineties as the goth person who's obsessed with death than darkness, and that once they see the real thing, maybe they're a little scared of it and stuff and looking for some because even though her biological father is there, she didn't really have a close relationship with anybody in the household, and she kind of is more akin to these people, which is kind of good too, because they mentioned that the I don't think they fully mentioned, but they kind of almost allude to that they are having troubles having a child, so they kind of, you know, adopt this child near the end of like a teenage everything. So what do you think about miss Ryder here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to think in terms of her acting career, like what was the order of the kind of bigger things that she was in. Would this have been? Like this is pretty early on. This is her third movie that she ever did, So that's.
Speaker 1: Really what came before though, I think there's something.
Speaker 2: Lucas, which I've never heard of those movies.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I guess not. No, it was after, because so I think this was definitely big for the one after this would have been Heathers had there was a very big, like teen sort of thing and then a year so oh is it good? Really? Oh yeah, she had three movies in nineteen eight, so she just blew up entirely of Beetlejuice, Heather's never seen nineteen sixty nine, there's that, and then I know there was like Little Women comes up. That's big for her, and the Dracula, yes, and Mermaids was big for because I was a movie cher when Edward says her hands, but yeah, I'd say that was probably just the year of nineteen eighty eight was just the kickoff of who is this girl? Because even when I'm a ryder, she's the star of that. And uh yeah, she definitely and she definitely was the eight girl for a while. I think that as I watched this movie and I watch like stuff now, I think she's always just been like a like a decent actress, you know, I because I.
Speaker 2: Felt like criticism comes down, yeah, like make sence I was an actress.
Speaker 1: I think when there had been so much time passed and stranger things came out and she'd kind of taken not a break from acting, but wasn't acting as much, and she was in that show and then oh, yeah, she's good, but she's not like as good as she used to be. And then I think just between we did this we did Alien four. I think I like her because I think why I wrote Rider became big. She has like a quality that other people don't like. It could be called equality, but there's just something there where you can't train it. But there's some scenes there. There are just whether it's this or or other projects in the past I've seen recently were a little dry. But like I said, hy no one is always enjoyable in this. But you know, fun enough character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't know how old she is here as well, but like pretty young. And I feel like we've talked about that a lot. How back then, you know, child actors were not of the highest caliber. But yeah, this it's fun for because this character, above all else, even more than the character of Beatle Juice, feels the most Tim Burton esque right in terms of that goth aesthetic and talking about dead all the time. But yeah, I think she's a really fun character. I think she does a good job here, Like even just like she just seems like she's having a lot of fun like part, particularly in the just the ending sequence when she's you know, strung up by the wires there and just floating and singing like that, just seems like she's having a grand old time. So yeah, once again another character that I thought would be like, she has quite a lot more screen time than Beetlejuice I would expect. I don't have the number in front of me, but even then, I I just assume that her and Beetlejuice were like the stars or like the main characters here. But she's even in it a lot less than I was expecting, because even like in the first few scenes of her, she's really not doing much. She's kind of just like spying on the main characters. So there's like a scene happening, and then every once in a while there's like a quick shot of like her, you know, peeking through the door kind of thing, so it becomes it's also a while before she gets like woven into the story in a good way. But then she kind of becomes the star at the end, kind of saves the day, right, And yeah, I'm curious to see what her role is going to be in this in this new one once again, like how much how much she'll be in it?
Speaker 1: Yeah. So she it says in nineteen eight eight she was seventeen, but I would assume when she filmed this she was probably close to sixteen.
Speaker 2: So it looked quite I mean, I'm very better like telling age when I look at people, but she seemed younger than that to me. But yeah, she just has that kind of face. I don't know.
Speaker 1: So she was coming just out of high school then pretty much with this movie. So, like I said, good agent her got her in some stuff there, you know.
Speaker 2: So definitely.
Speaker 4: I think that her character was just.
Speaker 3: She was interesting because you have like two very different parent figures and then her character just being the complete maybe a little bit from her mom in certain aspects, but just she's just her own kind of thing, and her perspective just completely changes because she walks into the seam and she's playing this like woe's me, Like life is mediocre, just walking through the house taking photos.
Speaker 1: What Taylor does you know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, what I do.
Speaker 3: And then as soon as she finds out that there's the ghosts, which is another interesting thing too, because no one can see them, and yet she is the one who has this ability to see them, which are I like, and then she just completely lightens up. It's funny because you think that it would be the opposite of that she encounters the dead and she can see the dead, but it actually is what's really giving her life and making her feel more fulfilled in her life, which is a cool kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Especially because they're just like regular people. It's like anyone would be freaked out if just two strangers were in their house, but like it's almost like the mediocrity of like this ghost It just is a disarming thing to her, I guess.
Speaker 3: And that's like she wanted to know if they were like ugly, and that's what she expected. Right when she's trying to pull her blankets off, which I love that whole scene when she's like banging on the wall and.
Speaker 4: The Maitland's like, woo, I'm a kid child, Yeah, but yeah, I thought that was clever.
Speaker 3: When she's taking the fucking bazillion photos and she notices that there's no feet in the photos, but yeah, I like that she can see them, and I like that she kind of gets wrapped into this whole mischievous thing with Beal Juice, where it's just this whole plot is like, Okay, she needs to become his wife, and I don't fully understand how that works, but he just they breathed past it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, that's probably someone before where he goes. She asked why and he's like, oh, I don't make the rules. So it's like the most it's the most easiest way to get out of as a writer, just like, well, there are rules, but Beale Juice isn't gonna explain them to you. Like why would a ghost marrying? Like I don't know if it's supposed to be kind of like how back in the day, if you weren't from a country and you came here and married someone in Canada, you could stay in Canada? Is that how it works in the dead world of Beale Just like marry as a person that's living, he can become a living person again, you know. And like even then, like why does he want to what is he like? Andy? When he's like it's all fun stuff, but he's likek at the newspapers. I need a job, Like what are they paying him?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What does he like? What is pal? Just what it's his income in this world? Like there's little stuff and then you know it's so fun. I don't need those answers, but it is just they breathe past a lot.
Speaker 2: I don't think he was serious about that comment, to be fair.
Speaker 3: That's the hard thing to decipher, is what is he serious about? Because he even then when he's trying to find the ring to give to a rider, he pulls out this woman's finger with a ring and says, I'll treat you better than her, Like she means nothing to me.
Speaker 2: It's like, okay, were you married before? Well he does say that, he said, I promise I'd never get married again. Something like that.
Speaker 1: He does, Yeah, yeah, yeah. I think they've confirmed Beal Juice that he has been the sequel. He has been married before. I think that plays some bit into it. So yeah, no, And that's what I was gonna say. For things that I do like though, I love the model set piece town when they're there with Beatle Juice. I love that they took because they easily could have just made it grass again or make it look a little different. I love that it's that very like plastic looking like syrofoam almost glass. I love the proportions and everything. I just love just everything about it. And it's not like a big set. You can tell they found a lot in fashion around it. They don't move around a bunch. Well of course they add like the dead leg I can't remember her name, but they add like a prostitute house just to keep Beetle Juice busy for a bit, which like I enjoy that because like, yeah, like that's like what such a piece of shit Beetlejuice is, Like he literally has a plan, but he is such an idiot that they put this this house here, and that like that takes his attention off his goal.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like oh yeah, because like he is like hey, he's a mischievous character and he's a clever character at point, but they also portray him as like an idiot, right, and that's what kind of works where I did they just put this house here and that's that, you know, But everything to do with that thing. I love when the TV comes up and he has like the fake TV ad and the Beetlegeist and everything, like everything to do with that little model town area. I'm I'm a big fan of when they're they're big people and they're talking to Beetlejuice. He's like a little toy, but they show him. So I love all that set design there. M M. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I even the opening shot I found very compelling because so I feel like so many movies these days just start with like drone shots of cities and country roads, and so to have that in like a kind of uncanny way because it's these what seems like a drone shot but of this little model city that for the first like few scenes, I'm like, is this actually like a helicopter shot? Like what is going on? Because it looks very life like, And then you see a couple like you know, people standy or we mean type things, and it's like, Okay, this is this is not real anymore. But yeah, I really like I like how much it was used, and it's obviously coming back in some way for the the sequel as well. It still is there, so I really like it. I think one thing too, this this movie is just like really good lighting. I think it adds so much to the weird creations for all the creatures, but just like the way that the little town miniature would light up. And I'm sure that it wasn't always how they were actually lighting the scene, but they made it seem like that's how it was lighting it when the uh, the lady, the assistant whoever. Is like when when they first go to the afterlife waiting room, they have the attendant, she's helping them, and like midway through that conversation, just like some of the lights start popping up and it's highlighting their face as it goes to this conversation. I just thought it was really creative and made these scenes like even more lively. So yeah, I really really like that set piece. I'm glad it's it's coming back.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Yeah, because any other set pieces or scenes or moments you want to shut out.
Speaker 3: I mean i'd piggyback on just the set pieces like you guys said, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couple other ones for me, like the the whole marriage sequence is so fun, like even just starting back with othos authos, like ritual that he's doing and like their their faces just like the life sucking out of them. I think that whole scenes is really fun, and just like get into the marriage sequence and how zany and like Tom and Jerry, that sequence is uh when Barbara's like trying to say his name, gets the zipper thrown at her mouth, unzips it, and then gets like the little metal uh covering grown.
Speaker 1: On the creative fun yeah stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it's as you're saying, like, he he's way more powerful than this, He like could stop them, but he's just such a playful and maybe idiot. He's a playful idiot and that's why he chooses to go with these like much more creative ways of doing things. So uh yeah, I think that's a that's definitely one of the one of the highlights for me. And then also I really I mean just in general, like the whole Afterlife waiting room, like that whole sequence is so much fun and it's funny. When I was watching that, I was just thinking of, you know, one of my favorite Halloween movies growing up that me and my sister would watch all the time was Halloween Town. Yeah, just like this movie is so like Halloween Town is so inspired by Field Juice.
Speaker 1: It's the kid version for sure, Yeah, which yeah.
Speaker 2: I never would have known before. Even just like the way the weird deformed monsters in Halloween Town look just like Beatle Juice creations. The music in Halloween Town, like the theme of that is is so close to the Beatlejuice theme as well. Uh so all that that whole sequence is so fun. And the office it's a lot more dark. Like I love that one of the people in the waiting room is just this smoker and like his whole body is just like a destroyed lung. It's so gross.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to cut back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so funny. The guy in just like the sleeping bag with the snake popping out in his face, like his hairs all popping out like mar from Home alone. Just everyone in there is so fun and like they just the little storytelling of how they died based on their look. The shrunken head guy, which obviously just like one hundred of those in the in the sequel, it looks like at some point. So I I just that sequence is so playful and so silly. I really liked it, And I love that their attendant is just like an old lady who died of old age. Presumably.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yeah, well I don't was it that or see I always took it.
Speaker 3: Like case worker was the old lady, right, that's what I mean that character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, how he took it she died from lung cancer because she has that like slit in her throat.
Speaker 2: Okay, well yeah, I guess she feel like that guy who died of lung cancer was like that smoking guy. Hmm.
Speaker 1: So I'm trying to wonder why because she's always smoked people.
Speaker 2: It seems like you become an exaggerated version of how you died. Obviously that hasn't happened yet for the protagonist characters. Or maybe it just hasn't happened yet for her, Maybe she just died or something. I'm not the.
Speaker 1: Real reason was, like, yes, they tinker at the idea of them always having the effects, but Burton just decided he didn't want the actors wet all the time because he thought they would just hate it. And I think that's probably the right move. Like it doesn't make sense because like they should be that way all the time, But I could see many top actors turning.
Speaker 2: Oybe he died on the impact rather than the drown yeah something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it seems that she would have died from lung cancer before she went to another world. But she has a civil servant, so she most likely slit her own throat.
Speaker 4: I don't know how that makes sense, but okay.
Speaker 1: Because she has that's what I always saw it was because she has thrown sometimes smokes me out and that okay, that's what they're trying to lose, like lung cancer or whatnot, because it is that did that fire guy did he die of lung cancer or was it something else?
Speaker 2: So wait? Is she is her role in is she's a civil servant? Is that what they're saying? What you're saying? Because that because that's one of the I mean that, like, how would any of these characters know? But I think it's the dad someone says that he's joking at like anyone who kills themselves will become a civil servant in the app?
Speaker 1: Which does happen? Right? Because that the I don't know the what is it called secretary?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: The person of the desk is like, oh, if I knew what this life would have been, I would have my relaxed. And she shows her wrists and they're slit right, so I think all and again, well that's another one too, is the people the guy that's dropping off papers at one point they show he has like he's hung himself and that's how he's moving around. Yeah, they drop stuff and even that guy that's switched by the car, he could have just ran in front of car. Man. I've never thought about this, like I call that line, but I didn't think about every single person that's working there has I would presume taking their life in one way or another.
Speaker 2: Everyone is working.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that dentual kind of right now, Well, he doesn't work there though he used to.
Speaker 4: Though ifmember he was juno secretary or what a.
Speaker 1: Terrible I guess system, he maybe.
Speaker 2: Electrocuted himself and that's how he killed himself or.
Speaker 1: Some Yeah he could have been. Yeah. So yeah, I'm interested because I think they're supposed to get into some of his origin stuff in the sequel here, which is always like that's like a that stuff where it to seque's where it's like, oh that's a that's a risky it.
Speaker 2: Maybe feels a little penny wise, like where it's like every thirty years he comes back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, we got to.
Speaker 2: Go back to the source to figure out to kill him for good.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's an interesting wrinkle that I never really put tune together, he learned stuff all time. So we do these retros and reviews.
Speaker 3: The thing that I feel like does not age very well is the football team with m all dead.
Speaker 4: And I feel like I feel.
Speaker 3: Like that's something at least more in recent years has happened where bus accidents, yeah, and unfortunate results.
Speaker 4: That come from that.
Speaker 3: So I get just watching in retrospect, I was just seeing that, I thought, yeah, I don't think this.
Speaker 4: Aged very well because it seems to happen a.
Speaker 2: Lot these see. To me, that's that's funny, whereas like joking about someone killing themselves, like that's more serious. I don't have a problem with it. But yeah, I don't know. For some reason, a football team dying in a buzzize like comes across as funny in this movie.
Speaker 1: For me, it's tough because, like, I think it's a tough.
Speaker 2: Dancing sequence at the end on the stairs too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's a top five line from this movie. When they're in there, they're talking to her and she shushes out and they come back and the guy goes, you know, coach, I.
Speaker 4: Don't think we made it, but their coach lived.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's like, oh really, how did you get that yeah, and then she he says coach and she's like, no, no, you died. He survived And I can't remember. I think she was in a bunch. She's like another hor anthology movie i'd watch. It might be cats Eye, but the actress that plays they're like character here, fuck just so good. Like she's in here, same thing as beel Juice for like what a few couple of scenes, but she just gives that dead end, tired of her job, tired of dealing with these people and ghosts and dead things. Like, she just gives it off so well. It's like she's such a minor character, but it's her comedic timing she has with everybody, like even our main characters see, like we don't talk much about Like I like them both. I think they gave us enough time in the beginning. I think they were smart that at the very beginning they just show them just completely in love. They're kissing, one tries to leave, they pull each other, kiss back, one tries to leave again, they pull like they're very cuddly, like when they're walking at the because Emily even jokes' like I've never had that much energy. It's like, oh, well you know that's the point of this, because even then they're making these jokes about how, oh, we could just stay here forever the point of the vacation. And then, you know, even when they die and she says, oh, we're gonna be stuck here forever and then alcohol and looks up, he smiles and he's like, oh, it sounds like heaven. It's like they do a good job before the deeds show up to show that. Okay, of course it sucks that they died, but there's still a or. These two are so in love that what a way to go out. And even her biggest issue is oh there's dust. You know, it's not even like oh we can't do this this or that. It's like it's an issue, and that's another character.
Speaker 3: Cha.
Speaker 1: I love the realtor. I love just how push she is. I love that moment when she talks to Geena Davis and when it's in the basement, Wall opens that window and he gets that jump scared. She's like, hey, so I again, just a little minor characters in here. I really enjoy so.
Speaker 2: Mm hm, yeah. I think the protagonists do a good job. And once again, especially because I didn't really expect them as characters in this movie at all, Like it was kind of surprising, but I think they do a really good job of carrying it along. I think the kind of like I guess it is the plot, but it's just such an underwhelming plot of them just trying to defend their home in like this very like silly way with this really rich families coming in and making all these crazy changes and painting on the walls and you know they don't want them to get in the attic and stuff. I think that's a very fun just kind of recurring like there's a lot of jokes made around that concequence with the whole kind of movie results, around why they go to beatleers in the first place. It's kind of the plot device in that sense too, but I think it is. I think it is a fun uh, I don't know, a fun set up. It's pretty simple, and it's interesting that they aren't coming back. I mean, I don't know, because I was just looking at Alec Baldwin's IMDb and he's like nine upcoming movies, so clearly he's going hand doing stuff. I know there was well there kind of is or was that controversy and I don't. I don't know what Geena Davis is up to these days or anything. I'm sure if she's been canceled to like other people.
Speaker 1: No, No, I think she's fat. I just yeah, I wonder with them, how they if they find a way just to say that. I imagine they're gonna say they just passed on or something they found.
Speaker 2: You need both like that, you wouldn't bring one of them back, so, because then you came down to and.
Speaker 1: Then you run into that thing, like you know, a certain movie we just reviewed, where you're gonna you're gonna have to do the d aging right and you're gonna have to like is it gonna be that thing where they look funny and it's off putting and you may just may as well not do it, you know. So it's, uh, it'll be interesting to see if they even mentioned them, you know so. But it is an odd thing when it's like, well, you got ghosts and they've decided to live with each other, and it's like, well the ghosts are but maybe that's it, like I said, maybe they just they were at peace and finally have to pass on. I guess, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really like the sequence when they are first initially trying to scare the family, and they have their sheets and they called them, think of them as death shrouds. I really like that line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but just.
Speaker 2: Going around making like these just wallowey noises, and Lydia thinks it's her mom being dramatic. Mom thinks it's the TV turns it off, like they just can't get Yeah, I just love it. And then and then they go like way off the deep end. They figure out how to do all this crazy ghost magic, make the craziest scene, and then it ends up being something that the family really likes, so that that hole just they just can't get it right. Sequences is very fun.
Speaker 1: I feel like because I was looking at Michael Keaton's filmography again and I don't. I don't. Maybe you guys would have known, do you know, Michael keen wasn't the Need for Speed movie.
Speaker 4: I never seen it.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know there was a movie. I thought when I was scrolling through. Is that having to be? I assume maybe it was just a game that he's a voice in or something.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, Aaron Paul's the star of that. Yeah, I'm the few video game movies that view we.
Speaker 2: Might put that in one of our video game movie.
Speaker 1: I've been waiting that. We got a lot of better ones to get through.
Speaker 2: Before Michael Keaton's in it.
Speaker 1: I don't know. We had to do Mario, we had to do we still. Yeah, we had to do Moral Kombat, which we did do. That was a vote. I didn't choose for Supersia. Yeah, we had to because the patrons chose it. But you know, maybe next film Ratrol will have the patrons. We'll try and get them. Do need for Speed? So anything else specifically about this movie before I get into trivia?
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Field, Nope, nope, all right. The studio originally wanted to call the film house Ghosts, but as a joke, Tim Burn suggested the name be called Scared Sheetless, and it was horrified when the studio was actually considering it. So there's a lesson. Don't joke with the studio because it might be like, oh I like that, you know, so crazy? Oh God. Director Tim Burn for the day sequence wouldn't go over well. In his opinion, it was very It wasn't very funny. Burton turned out to be wrong. Our audience loved and think it's the most iconic scene of the film, which I agree with as far as like when they get possessed in the day and everything like that. I think other than like Michael Keaton talking and even at the end he does a hit showtime, you know, like I think there's little moments with him, but that I think is the sequence, and that's the song I still think of. Then you got rid of that. This was the first DVD sent out by Netflix in nineteen ninety eight, so look at that. That's a fun fact.
Speaker 2: That is a whole freaking crazy ninety.
Speaker 1: Eight ninety eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Holy f that's insane.
Speaker 1: It's weird when you try to think of stuff that like really started at certain times. It's the same thing when them we talk about Twitter and you go back you look at when it started. But yeah, Netflix nineteen ninet eight. I guess was I got DVD rental at the time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, back when they shipped your house.
Speaker 1: And I think they just stopped doing that like last year or something. They were still doing it for some things, so you could do that. Yeah, Michael Keaton ablet ninety of his lines. Michael Keaton claims this is his favorite film so of his own, not just like not just some general he's not like that egotistical, like what's what's your favorite movie? Michael, Oh, it's just gotta be Beatle Juice. You know, I love that.
Speaker 2: But I wonder, I wonder how that process went, Like was there must have been a script where he had lines in there or was it just I don't I don't know how that works.
Speaker 1: Even I think they had lines, and then I think it's just that they changed all those lines or they're just like you do how you want to, and then it just didn't match up with because I get I bet a bunch of that stuff, like when Taylor talk about when he turns into him, like obviously you have to pre write that, but just the stuff like keyten feels at times like again, I don't want to make their phone comparison, but it feels like Reynold's in Deadpool when he gets on a run and he's just going, you can tell, okay, this is just from Renald's mind. That's Keaton. Sometimes, like when he's just yelling at them, it's like I can believe half the diablete because it just feels like very personal to him.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I wonder if even like in the casting process, if I mean, I don't know if Tim Burton would be in the room where I would be like the casting director, probably both. I wonder if it would be like, Okay, we found the person who matches what we're looking for, or is more that Keaton did something so weird and interesting that they're like, Okay, pick that guy. Yeah, put him in here, because he's got something. And that's where the ad libon would come from. Just give him some more of that creative freedom.
Speaker 1: Well mostly came early because my looking came up with much of the characters. Look himself. Keen told the makeup department that he wanted to mold on his face and his hair, looking as if he stuck his fingers in electrical socket.
Speaker 2: There you go, Okay, so my theory might hold some water.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He requested a wardrobe department send him close from all different type of time periods, which that's where Tim Burton described the character as having lived in every time period but no time period. Keyes is a jumping off point to create the characters such features as the shock hairedo, mold makeup, large tiefeit. He said he first showed up to be all juice and the crowd was chanting jews juice juice, and that got him into the character. So it must have been a fun Yeah, it must have been a fun setback. Then, Catherine Harrow met her future husband, a production designer, Bo Welsh, while making this film. According to Welsh, Tim Burton said that he should go ask out her near the end of filming. It did, and this is a quote from him. It didn't even ocur to me. I was even supposed to talk to actors, but since Tim told me I had to do it, I did, and then we dated and then we married and here we are today.
Speaker 2: So that'sh There you go.
Speaker 1: So Tim Burton gave him a little push and he maybe wouldn't have done it, So there you go. And sorry, I was wrong. Michael keyes in this movie for fourteen minutes and fifty seconds, not thirty seconds, so a twenty extra seconds I didn't give him there, So let's Seeyeah already talked about. Yeah, all of them are how they died, the ghosts, her, the people in the waiting room, but they tinker with the idea of them being wet all the time, but just thought the actors would be not comforableed that, and I agreed that I think there's a lot of high profile actors that would have been, like, you want me to be wet all the time, I'm not gonna do that. So let's see yeah the box office success. Creative plans for a sequel Beal Juice Goes to Hawaiian or Yeah, Beatle Juice goes Hawaiian, not goes Hawaii script was commissioned Michael Keeno and or I are both signed on a reprise of respective roles, but timber And lows interest in the project and went on direct Batman, which is so funny because you feel like it's with different people. But it's like he lost interest to do bield Just Too with Batman and then to go to Batman, and Keaton just followed them because Keaton had signed on for bield Just Too, so let's see heird Cordy to Timburn. It took a lot time to convince the cast members, as they thought the script was too weird. Geena Davis was the only cast member who commit to the project at first. Mel Keen went on a writer Katherine harra All said no, at least once producer David Griffin convinced medl Ken's manager to convince Keen to meet with Burton. Once Keen said yes, Burton personally called, uh oh, that doesn't matter, and then he flew out to Katherine O'Hara to convince her to get the role. Kate Keton said, he just originally dis didn't get it, but he met Burton and that changed him. And then he watched Peewee's Big Adventure, which was Tim Burton's movie before this. But yeah, so they just didn't really get that there. Tim Burton, Ridgie want Sammy Davis Junior, you know, one of the great singers all time, a favorite of his childhood, to play the rollbo Juice, But the STWO executives didn't like that idea at all. And if you're looking at it, they had like different designs for him and everything like that. So let's see and that is everything I have. So yeah, that's all all the rest of stuff. It's like good set design, make up stuff and everything like that. So go look on that if you're curious. But mister muss final thoughts and a rating on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a this is a fun discussion. I mean, I didn't expect this to be a you know, two hour long retro or getting into the weeds and all these different things. But even though there was there was more depth I think when you dig a couple layers deep on it. So this this was a good time. I'm excited for the sequel. Like I said, I got my ticket now, which that's good. Yeah, and I don't even know what I I guess I'll give this a seven point nine four.
Speaker 1: Point nine four. Okay, that's an interesting one. There you go, mister Field bjbj.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go I'm gonna go eight out of ten. It's not perfect, but I definitely had some laughs, had some fun with it. And yeah, I think that the you can tell that the people coming to act in this movie or having fun, they're having a good time. And it's just such a wacky story and the character Beeal Juice is just unique. I think that at its core, I I don't need to have like a lot more movies that are just like this, but I like the idea and the creativity.
Speaker 1: That He's made a lot of movies. I'm not sure if you've seen them all.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: I just like the idea and the creativity that is behind this concept, and I'd love to have more zany movies that have just very creative concepts thrown out there.
Speaker 4: Because it's just this is just such an original idea.
Speaker 3: And I'm hoping that the sequel does not get a little bit too copycat on its originality and reliant on that nostalgia and that original to try to like hold itself up. I'm hoping that it can kind of be its own thing, with its own it's own identity.
Speaker 4: But you never know.
Speaker 3: With these legacy sequels, you know, there's always a little bit of a risk. But I got I got faith, I got high help. So I'm excited to see it.
Speaker 4: And I cannot wait anymore. So next week, I got a wait a week.
Speaker 1: At least you're getting a day early though. We got those early screenings right, keep you busy, Yeah, Dylani, you're not early screening one right on the web.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, okay, good? The last tickets there.
Speaker 1: Okay good. Just want to clarify, So, yeah, no, as I said before, I think there's little issues. If you really break it down, it ain't a perfect film. I don't think it's even one of the best films all time. But like, I just gotta drop a ten on this. I really have like not like I enjoy it every time, and if it's a movie that obviously because yeah, the Halloween season, Christmas happens. There's tons of Christmas movies and Halloween. The movies that I watch it aren't ten out of ten's, but sometimes don't happen every year where this is it's on there and I think, I said, I think it's a The run time just makes it feel like it's a perfect length. There's nothing maybe there's, like like I said, someone with Lyddy and her mom, but there's nothing I feel that needs to be at it, and there's something that feels that needs to be cut either where it's like, oh, this doesn't work, like everything moves at a good pace. The death, the reveals, the multiple universes, and that's all just fun stuff too. So it just kind of is my bag of stuff of just dark, dark, comedic, weird things. You know, it's a A twenty four if they made a comedy, you know, I'll say it that way. But yeah, I'll just drop a ten because I can't. I think just how much I've enjoyed it over the years. So I'm hoping and I will say I'm not expecting the sequel does not have to be like a ten to ten for me, enjoy it. If I can get a seven out of ten, I'm perfectly happy with that score, you know, like, if that can be the range. If we started to blow, then you're gonna get maybe a disappointed Travis next week. But I hope not to be, and we will be here next week talking about Beal Juice, Beal Juice, and I'll not be boring.
Speaker 4: See you by m HM