Speaker 1: It is the Ben and Skin Show, ninety seven point one The Eagle on a Friday afternoon. Thank you for hanging out with us today. If don't forget, we love to give away tickets on this show. We got we got disturbed tickets to give away, don't we They're coming up here in April. We like to give these tickets away using the iHeart app. There's like a little talkback feature on there and you can leave messages. Click that talkback feature on your iHeart app, the free streaming app. If you don't have it, what are you doing? Get it and leave your name, your phone number, your email address, and the first person we'll go with. The first person that can answer this question. What rapper were we talking about? In the first segment that me and Ben drove from oak Cliffe to Richardson in nineteen ninety two, we told this whole story. It's from a song that we play here on the Eagle. If you're listening, you know, first person that can leave their name, phone number, email address, and which rapper that is you're gonna win these disturbed tickets.
Speaker 2: We love giving tickets away. All right, that's that's the jam.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Now it's time for this.
Speaker 3: Juicy news, Hot Gods Company, stay on top in the chove.
Speaker 2: Thank you Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. You know, they announced the nominees about a month ago. We talked about it, put a couple of seven segments on it. Probably I love this Every year, though, Vulture talks to two or three anonymous voters and they basically tell you who they voted for. They've already put their ballot in. Okay, and you know when they announced why or why not? I don't know when they announced it. I know the induction that will be like in October and then it'll air on Network TV on you're gonna stream it on Disney you can, okay, and it'll be on Network TV on like New Year's Eve or something. So Voter one for Bad Company. Here will you go with alphabetic quarder? Okay? Bad Company? Are they a major rock act?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I like them more than I want to admit, though, because I like Paul Rodgers. He's got a great voice. You feel like making love.
Speaker 1: Maybe a meathead anthem, but it's catchy. I won't vote for them, though.
Speaker 2: Voter two, it's a quintessential rock super group, Paul Rodgers and Simon Kirk. So you got links to Free Matt the Hoopel and King Crimson. They have a good chance of getting in without my vote. It's two no's.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, and I told you all this when we talket. Bad Company is not a Hall of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame group. To me, they're just not.
Speaker 4: I mean, the Paul Rodgers argument is really the only one that makes sense to me.
Speaker 1: But like I think some people think all right Now is a Bad Company song.
Speaker 2: It's a free song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like honestly, like you, did you ever listen to the firm?
Speaker 4: No, but I think I have one album just because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's Jimmy Page Yes, with Paul Rodgers on lead vocals.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The big radio hit was right Now Active Black Crows. No, It's possible to love an act and think they don't need to be in the rock hall. Thank you, Voter two. I find them to be fantastic. I just don't think they're rock hallworthy. Crows No. Agreed with the these people. These people know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Mariah Kerrie butter one. I buy the argument that she is influential. She's also a songwriter. I just don't love the material in a world where everybody from Radiohead to Janet Jackson didn't get in on their first ballot, why was it such an outrage that she didn't either? Because last time she didn't get in. So they're kind of saying without saying, yeah, sure, but she can wait. It's like the Baseball Hall of Fame the way they treat that. Butter two said, I'm a huge fan. People forget how massive she was in the nineties and early odds. She's in the Songwriters Hall of Fame. She mixed pop, hip hop, soul, in R and B. She's excelled at it all. She should be in. To me, I don't like her.
Speaker 4: I don't see. I'm just trying to think every band you name, if they should be in the Hall of Fame, how many hits do they need to have at least?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, she's one who's got number one hit in the eighties, nineties, two thousands, and twenty tens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's got monster hits.
Speaker 4: Like, let's beyond me. I can't stand her as a person. I can't. Seems like a huge bitch, and so that's why I just I'm out.
Speaker 1: Seems when you say huge, do you mean like metaphorically that the bitchy factor. Yeah, okay, seems like YEP could be a nice goal. Chubby Checker voter one said this one bugs me. His career is overshadowed by one hit. The only reason Chubby.
Speaker 2: Recorded the Twist, which was an original song by Hank Ballard and the Midnighters. I didn't know that was a Hank Ballard song is because Dick Clark told him to Wow, this song is greater than the man. Butter two said, I was befuddled. I'm not sure why he was nominated.
Speaker 4: Actor Kat told us that he just had like one hit that he kept trying to redo over it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was incredible, Joe cocker in. Butter one says, You're so beautiful up where we belong. Aren't priority songs in the history of rock and roll. You're basically voting for him as a song stylist. It's comparable to Chevy Checker and that the song slightly overshadowed the career, so he's not voting. Butter two says he sits in the Linda Ronstat type category. What his impact is I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's fair, that's fair to say he doesn't have that big of an impact. I love his voice too. I love his voice.
Speaker 4: I just remember him from the Wonder Years theme song.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but does that get you in just having a good voice? Yeah yeah, maybe not Billy Idol. Billy Idol should be into me. Butter one, he's pop, he's punk, he's new wave. He even qualified as hair metal. If anything gets me to vote for Billy, it's a shape shifter nature. Butter two says, what do you think of eighty Silo Ax? He was huge, but this year there were other people I felt needed my vote more.
Speaker 2: Do they have a limited number of votes? Do you wonder?
Speaker 4: I don't know?
Speaker 1: Okay, Joy Division Slash New Order. You guys know I'm in on them, but I get it. I hate that they're combined, though, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Voter one says, how many, however many times they appear, I'll check the box. The combination of the two bands is sensible, it's not cheating. Voter two said it's funny that the Rock Hall and System lumping them together because they're so different in terms of their sound. They are, but when you're just looking at influence, they both continue to reverberate. Man, do you guys ever watch this dude.
Speaker 1: His name is jj Blair on Instagram, where he pulls up all the tracks just bounces around songs.
Speaker 2: I stumbled upon last night.
Speaker 1: He was doing Joy Divisions Level tear Us Apart, and there is so much stuff going on in that song that I didn't hear, like intricate guitar parts, like wait, what really interesting.
Speaker 2: And heavy on that song. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The main thing about them too, is that Peter Hook plays bass as a melodic instrument, you know, and so it's just it just puts me in a different category.
Speaker 2: Cindy Lauper, I mean, it'd.
Speaker 1: Be hypocritical for me to say Joe Cocker and Billy Idol should be and then say that Cindy Lauper shouldn't. She was huge in the Dadies voter one. I think the world of her. I voted for a last time and I'll do it again. Cindy is a Titanic vocalist. She's a songwriter. Yes, the career.
Speaker 2: Gets thin after the first two hours albums, Yeah, but what she achieved on those albums is greatness. And the fact that she's won award Shive of an Egott tells you the quality of her talent.
Speaker 1: She's incredible. Her voice is incredible. I can't even begin to explain to you guys, was before you were born. She was on MTV every thirty minutes. Man, I mean that first girls just want to have fun thing. Oh my god, it was everywhere. Voter two Cindy was number one for me on this ballot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was upset a few years ago and she didn't get in. Everyone associates her with the eighties in her first record, but she's so much more than that, which I'm kind of like, is she more than that?
Speaker 1: I don't even know that what she did to get a Tony I don't either.
Speaker 2: Uh, manah, I'm unfamiliar.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, No.
Speaker 2: Voter one says there's a snowballs chance in hell. Manah, we'll get in unless we have enough voters who understand Latin rock. Or two said, I'm not very familiar with them, but when we talk about popular music sometimes we get stuck in certain countries. I applied the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for saying, no, this is a rock band who is in around the world.
Speaker 1: I would ask my homie Adrian Case out of the Black Pumas, do you think they should be in whatever?
Speaker 2: He says I would agree with. I would ask our engineer Ivan. I mean, they played like the American Airline Center when they're in town, you know, like they're big oasis. Voter one. They are the turds in the punch bowl of rock and roll. I won't vote for them. I have a hard time seeing the influence voter too though. They're so influential, almost in spite of themselves. They're massively popular in America, and people forget that. I voted them because the spectacle of them showing up would be hilarious. Liam said he would show up, really, Noel, Noel.
Speaker 1: Nol Yeah, Christmas, Christmas Gallagher. I think he would say the opposite of what Liam said. Legends. I mean, do they play stadiums they know, and they're huge and dude, I listened to this a couple weeks ago, a live record of them from years ago, and it's effing awesome.
Speaker 2: It's so good. What what what?
Speaker 1: And there's a lot of music that's like this. But what I can't get beyond is like I just know how dumb the lead singer is and the lyrics are so dumb to me, some of them, Like I mean, it's very like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 1: It's gas pumper guy. I come back with lyrics hold them back, but this song is about us, what the forever? I want to live as bad as though, all right, wonterfly, I don't want to live, dude. I love Lenny Kravitz and his lyrics are terrible. I get it outcast But on what took so long? No doubt, slam Dump, slam Dump.
Speaker 2: They're an act that hip hop heads and born white people liked equally. Voter two absolutely yes, East and West Coast hip hop.
Speaker 1: We need Southern hip hop influence. They were genre defying and they will get in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're also the only hip hop group or a rapper or you know they're gonna get in, which makes it look like a token type thing.
Speaker 1: But no, they were that that bombs over bag Dad era where they got in uh if one it sounded like earth Wind and Fire was.
Speaker 4: Also their album, that double album they released. Because I was high school at the time, I love Yes, I loved like every song.
Speaker 2: Yeah all of that.
Speaker 1: Fifteen year old nab was like, Jesus, this is this is incredible. Yeah, can't be beat a fifteen year old dude from only you know.
Speaker 4: Right, That's what I'm saying, Like I'm a little white girl crandle Yeah, Fish, Oh Fish, let's go Fish.
Speaker 2: I'm good voter one. If I were gonna rank this ballot, Fish should be dead last, big fat no, all the cliches apply. Hater, hater, absolutely a hater. Would you guys consider me a pretty big music fan? Do you have any Fish songs? I can name zero.
Speaker 4: Because there's so many.
Speaker 2: I can't name a single one. They're not radio band, they're not a studio band. They're not voter two. I didn't appreciate Fish until I saw them live There You Go a few years ago. Trey inducted Genesis into the rock and roll and Fish played Watcher of the Skies. That unlocked something in my head. I realized they're not a jam band. They're a prog rock band. Right, which is I see that too now today. He also thought that he or she thought that other people deserved it more, though, so it's a popular vote for them.
Speaker 1: It's popular music, and nobody knows any of their songs unless they're just devotees and go to their shows.
Speaker 4: I just I think it's impressive that they've gone as long as they have and they they usually don't repeat songs at any concerts.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, never.
Speaker 4: It's impressive.
Speaker 1: They could repeat songs and I wouldn't know because I don't know any of their songs.
Speaker 2: We'll go a minute later, Okay, Soundgarden and voter one they were in the Seattle scene long before Nirvana even released an album. I'm trying to find room for them because they deserve it. Voter two said, Cornell's voice is unreal. They were a classic band, so I voted for them. It's long overdue their layup.
Speaker 1: For me, the biggest layups on this whole thing are Outcast and Sound Garden.
Speaker 2: White Stripes and butter One. I love the White Stripes. I'll confess I didn't vote for them a few years ago because I thought they didn't need my vote because it would be a slam dunk. I won't make that mistake again. Jack White is a walking history of rock and roll. Meg White is an underrated drummer. She's not flashy. She was the right drummer for that band. I hope if they get in she can overcome her stage fright and appear with Jack. Hmmm, that would be awesome. A voter two said, I voted for them. They single handedly kicked off so much of what was defined as rock the Strokes and then onward into all the post punk with Franz Ferdinand. Meg's drumming was so unique and the White Stripes wouldn't have worked without her. Over the years, there's been more of a reassessment of her drumming because there was so much misogyny and sexism directed toward her. People are finally saying, no, they were equals. I don't think people are saying that.
Speaker 1: They're saying that saying that, but I think they are saying the whole ringo thing of like the greatest drummer but works for this. Yeah, and also the records got better when.
Speaker 2: You was very good with that. Don't worry with that. What go ahead? Just the song?
Speaker 1: Okay, uh coming up, nuts, Let's do a little sport, shall we.
Speaker 2: What do we have? Katie? The Cowboys lost out on another wide receiver today. God kill me.
Speaker 1: He walked out the door. All right, we'll find out more about that.