Speaker 1: It only takes a moment, one turn around, a bend, one step just a little too far ahead, and suddenly the person you were just walking beside is gone. In the open expanse of the desert, where visibility stretches for miles and silence carries farther than sound, you wouldn't expect someone to simply disappear. But in July of twenty nineteen, that's exactly what happened. I'm Megan, I'm Danielle, and this is off the trails, all right, Well, before we get into the episode, is there anything Do we have anything?
Speaker 2: I do not. I don't either, other than welcome kits for newer Patreon members are out, so watch your mailboxes. I guess I think USPS takes forever to get things to people lately. I've just been keeping track of things at work wise, so hopefully you get it in two to three weeks.
Speaker 1: Is the post office lacking?
Speaker 2: It seems like it. It's taking things like an average of like ten days to get places like it took eight days to go to a town fifteen minutes away.
Speaker 1: That is insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I don't know what the deal is with that. But if you don't have them in like three weeks let me know, but hopefully it's like two weeks with tops.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Yeah, that's bad all right. Well, aside from that then I think we can get into it. Yes, okay. So Barbara Thomas was sixty nine years old, a grandmother, a wife, and someone who found comfort in the quiet beauty of the desert. She stood five foot nine inches tall, with blonde hair and green eyes, and she lived with her husband, Robert or Bob, in Bullhead City, Arizona. By all accounts, Barbara and Bob were familiar with the desert and so this wasn't really new territory for them. They enjoyed the outdoors and had even explored the area before, understood the terrain, and were comfortable navigating its vastness. So when they set out on Friday, July twelfth of twenty nineteen for a casual day trip in their camper, nothing about it seemed unusual. At some point that afternoon, roughly twenty miles or about thirty two kilometers north of Interstate forty in just east of Kelbaker Road, the couple decided to pull over. They planned to take a short hike about two miles round trip or roughly three point two kilometers to check out some nearby rock formations. And it was just supposed to be quick and easy. It just kind of little, you know, pit.
Speaker 2: The side quest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, However, it would become anything but so. The Mojave Desert stretches across parts of California, Nevada, Arizona, and Utah, covering an immense fifty four thousand square miles or about one hundred and forty thousand square kilometers. To the west, the Sierra Nevada Mountains form a natural barrier, and to the south and east, the Mojave gradually blends into the Sonoran Desert, and within its boundaries lies one of the most unforgiving places on Earth. Can you guess what it is?
Speaker 2: Death Valley?
Speaker 1: Yes? Correct. The Mojave is perhaps also best known for the Joshua tree, which is an iconic, almost otherworldly plant that doesn't naturally grow anywhere else in the world.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that it was endemic to that area.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But as beautiful as the desert can be, it can also be deceptively dangerous. Winters here can be bitterly cold, with strong winds that cut across the open terrain, while summers, on the other hand, routinely climb into triple digit temperatures well above one hundred degrees fahrenheit or thirty eight degrees celsius and oftentimes higher. But it's not just the heat, because the desert is home to a range of potentially dangerous wildlife as well, mahave green rattlesnakes, sidewinders, arizona bark, scorpions, black widows, spiders, coyotes, and even mountain lions. But more often than not, the greatest threat isn't what's hiding in the sand or the rocks. It's the environment itself. The heat, the dehydration, the disorientation that can creep in faster than you expect, and sometimes the vastness. So what looks like a short walk somewhere like here can quickly turned into something much more serious. So back to July twelfth, when Barbera and Bob sat out on their hike. They brought a backpack, some beer and a gallon of water.
Speaker 2: All right, and a beer would be my choice for the desert, but that's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I feel like a beer sounds nice at the end of a hike. But not during yeah, and not that kind of heat.
Speaker 2: I just like when I was like twenty five accidentally, just like was in the sun all day, which is which is not my thing and never has been my thing, a drinking bud light lime, and I was just so dehydrated. And I probably have felt like the worst after that day of having like a couple beers on a hot day than having you know, six drinks and yeah, yep, yeah, any hydration get you, Yes, it does.
Speaker 1: So while they had this backpack, Barbara herself wasn't carrying anything. She was just wearing a bikini, hiking boots and a hat.
Speaker 2: Iconic.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And agreed, while that is very iconic, and I love her for this, I also want her to have her own pack with some just some basic supplies and I mean water and snacks.
Speaker 2: And yes, that attire is perfect for drinking bud lightline in your backyard, yes absolutely, or setting up your lawn chair outside of your camper with a beer like exactly.
Speaker 1: But she didn't have a cell phone, she didn't have any extra water, no gear, and despite the heat, they just you know, went on there, went on their stroll to look at these rock formations.
Speaker 2: Any idea how long they expected to be out, like was, were these formations far from where they were parked or just no, from what I could find, they didn't expect it to be.
Speaker 1: More than like two miles like at and back. Okay, So I don't know if it's an actual trail they were on or you know, it's the desert, so make your own trail, right, right, Yeah, But I don't think they expected to be gone long at all. And given that they were from Arizona, you know they are we can assume very familiar with the heat. They're familiar with just the Southwest region in general and that type of climate and terrain. So this probably they probably were very confident going out to do what they were doing and how long they planned to be there with what they had.
Speaker 2: Right, I think living in Arizona you probably have to have a higher heat tolerance than I pause, so probably I would last five minutes out and that.
Speaker 1: Heat, yes, yeah, And I mean I think the heat and the sun are they kind of work against each other in the sense of because it's so hot, you would think the less layers the better, But to protect you from the sun and from that like direct exposure, you really need the layers. So whenever you see people hiking in like high heat areas and they have like the long sleeves, the large hats, the pants, it seems counterintuitive, but it actually, of course makes the most sense.
Speaker 2: Several summer hoodies. And people give me a hard time when I walk at lunchtime at work and I have like my hood up, But it's uv protection.
Speaker 1: It's not because.
Speaker 2: I'm cold when trying to keep the sun off of all of me if possible.
Speaker 1: Yes, and that's that's the right thing to do. At around two thirty pm, the couple began making their way back to the camper, and at some point along the way, Barbara started walking ahead of Bob, and he later said that he had stopped briefly to take a photo of one of the rocks out there, and as he was putting his camera away, he saw that Barbara had rounded a corner like just ahead of him, out of sight. But it wasn't unusual. He didn't think anything of it, just that she was a little bit further ahead of him. However, what he didn't know is that it would also be the last time that he would ever see her. When Bob reached that same corner. Moments later, she wasn't back in sight, but again he wasn't panicking yet. He just assumed that she had gotten further ahead and was maybe at the camper waiting for him. You know, just nothing.
Speaker 2: Concerning, Right, is this terrain where they were in particular? Like are there a lot of boulders or rocks or like, I guess I'm trying to picture how you get out of sight quickly.
Speaker 1: In the desert.
Speaker 2: Right, that has like a lot of like low growing vegetation and kind of typically that's about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it so because we only sort of have an approximate placement of where they were, it looks like this area does have just some you know, larger boulders or rocks that someone could be behind or near. And like you said, it is lighter vegetation, so it's not it's not like dense by any means where they are. But I also don't know exactly where they were, right, do you know of any like potential obstructions that they that could have been between them? Okay, soh yeah, he had assumed that she had just you know, made her way back to the camper and he would just meet her there. But when he got there, That's when he immediately became worried because she wasn't outside the camper waiting for him. The camper door was locked, and so of course she wasn't inside it either, and she was nowhere to be found. Almost immediately, you know, he started calling out her name. He started looking everywhere for her around the area, listening for anything, trying to find any movement, but there was nothing, no sign of where she may have gone. So he called nine one one, and authorities arrived shortly after, and what followed would just be a pretty comprehensive search effort. There were sheriff's deputies, search and rescue teams, fire personnel, park rangers, canine units, and a helicopter. So, I mean, you have everyone, everyone coming in and she was so close to him that you would think in that short amount of time she couldn't have gotten far from there.
Speaker 2: Right, It's not like they were on their way to their destination. Well, I guess you're always on your way to a destination. It's not like they were heading away from the camper, right where the possibilities of where you might end up are significantly more. But it sounds like they're pretty close to the camper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they had just they had pulled off of that road, so where they had parked the camper, you actually needed to cross the street to get back to it. So there was also a road that would be.
Speaker 2: A landmark.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you, there it is. So, you know, teams combed the surrounding terrain on foot and they had the aerial support the dogs, which you know, you would think like dogs would pick up a send pretty quickly. There wasn't any rain or anything that would potentially compromise that part of the search. But days passed with no leads. She just vanished. On Wednesday, July seventeenth, off road vehicles were brought in to expand the search area, covering ground that was too difficult to access on foot. Then on July twentieth and twenty first specialized teams joined the effort, and these individuals were certified in cave searches, rope climbing, and desert terrain. Ground hikers were among the search and rescue members. So they were bringing in every type of skill set possible to aid in this search. But they couldn't find footprints. They didn't find you know, clothing, blood, no sign of a struggle, no indication of where she had gone. She had just disappeared. On July twenty second, authorities announced that Bob was being looked at as a suspect.
Speaker 2: Which in these situations does make sense. It's seemingly obviously he was the last person to see her. Typically in I think any situation, your partner is the most likely culprit. And I'm sure where he said. He called very quickly and a search got underway pretty quickly in a known area.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they're like, Okay, she should be here, exactly, isn't she? Yeah, this does not make any sense. And as you said, I mean, it's understandable for them to look at him. I think if any two people were anywhere together and one goes missing, you have to look at that other person and question the version of events that they've told you. But definitely, and of course Bob made tained his innocence, and he actually offered his own theory, saying, I feel like someone did pick her up because she was wearing a bikini, she had a beer in her hand, she was ahead of me, and she had to cross that road. He believed that someone passing through that sort of remote stretch of the desert had taken her, but investigators were not convinced. They had Bob take a polygraph test, and the results showed indications of deception. Still, polygraphs are far from fool proof, and Bob stood firm in his denial of having anything to do with his wife's disappearance, and he later attributed the results to sleep deprivation at the time of the test. Also, it's a high stress scenario, you know, I mean, sleep deprivation aside, let's assume that he is, you know, not responsible for it, and the amount of like just panic going on, the stress, like there's so many things happening in your body. How could it not impact the test results?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always I mean, obviously we've talked about polygraphs before.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think if you are stressed enough or sleep deprived, anxious enough, Yeah, I could probably possibly fail a polygraph about you know, like what I did yesterday, just because it's a stressful situation, even just being tested sitting there with police or investigators.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that, And that's exactly right, Like you could be called in to take a test right now, not that you're under suspicion for anything. But if a if any authority figure is asking you questions like where we're yesterday, Oh, what time was that at? Oh are you sure that you know you're recalling that correctly? What was this person wearing? And that's that's intimidating.
Speaker 2: Gets stressed out at the drive theorem ordering like a coffee or something, and they're like, do you want an iced or hot? And I'm like, I don't know, you tell me.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's always iced, but you know, I think, yeah, I think we always have to takee with the grain of salt. But I would not be surprised if in the next few years science phases those out all together, just because there's so many other factors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. So Barbara's family also didn't believe that she had simply wandered off, and the source that I saw this from says that her family was from Hong Kong. So I don't know if they lived there or from there or okay, but it they just sort of just said, like collectively, her family in Hong Kong didn't believe she had simply wandered off.
Speaker 2: Okay, they how about it? Sorry, do you know how long they had been married?
Speaker 1: No? And I was going to touch on that toward the end of the episode. There was not really there's like virtually no background information.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean not that necessarily matters. Obviously, we've heard of cases where a partner or a spouse does something horrible to their you know, their newlyweds and they've been married a week. But then we've also heard of situations where it's been thirty five years and something happens. It doesn't necessarily matter, but I was just curious.
Speaker 1: Absolutely it does. You know, whenever we've said this before, where it is nice to get a sort of picture of this person we're talking about that we're not we can expand beyond the incident that we're covering and actually sort of get to know them a little bit more as just the person outside of the incident, and so getting that context of you know, not to invade anyone's privacy, of course, but just whenever there is a little bit of information like where they're from, what they like to do, maybe what they did for work, and what other people said about them, it's just nice to bring that information to light as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, brought in the scope a bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so her family said that the chances she became lost or disoriented in the five minutes before her husband between her husband reporting last seeing her and him realizing she was missing is highly improbable. Barbara does not have a history of any illness that we know of. We have no reason to believe Barbara would walk away from her husband or disappear in the manner.
Speaker 2: That she has.
Speaker 1: The case was eventually taken over by the Specialized Investigations Division, but they weren't able to you know, find any new leads or evidence either. Eighteen months passed, there was you know, it was a year and a half of uncertainty, questions and just waiting. Then on November twenty seventh of twenty twenty two, people hiking in a field off kel Baker Road made a discovery human remains. The following day, on the twenty eighth, authorities conducted a more extensive search of the area, recovering additional bones and evidence. Those remains were later positively identified as Barbara. However, her cause of death has remained pending, or at least not disclosed. So many of the questions surrounding her disappearance have also remained unanswered.
Speaker 2: So far, was this from where she originally witnesssing.
Speaker 1: That's a great question. They did not. It's so I have an overhead view of kel Baker Road. So it's essentially there are two main roads that run like east to west that are sort of like they run parallel with each other, and where they were this kel Baker Road. It's sort of like this scenic side road if you will, that runs north to south between these two roads. So there is a stop and star of kel Baker Road. So it can only be in in you know, like a limited space. But they're still miles and miles of it. And although I was able to find where they were based on the sources saying that they had parked about twenty off of the road from Interstate forty, I think it is so we know where that is. But when they talk about the remains, all they say is cal Baker Road, so literally anywhere Crivis Road. Okay, not helpful, no, And I know we've brought this up before when remains are found, and they're very, very vague with where they're found.
Speaker 2: Which is understandable for a variety of reasons.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, but it also leaves that question for us who have not that we they owe us anything, but you know what. It would be helpful to know where she was found in relation to where she went missing.
Speaker 2: I think it can give a lot of indication as to if she got there on foot on her own while the search was going on, or if she was taken there in a vehicle or ended up there at a later point.
Speaker 1: Right, knowing that that road is there and knowing that it's sandwiched between these two major roads tells me like, well, she obviously never made it to the road and wouldn't and didn't find her way back to the road, because that's something where you would just sort of, I would think, hang out near and hope to see a car and be like, just it's either sitting you know, by the road or wander the desert, which one sounds like a better outcome.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So, there are, of course a few theories and possibilities as to what may have happened to Barbara. It's possible she became disoriented in the heat. You know. Of course, even experienced hikers can underestimate how quickly dehydration and extreme temperatures can affect the body, Especially without adequate water or protection. In triple digit heat, the human body can begin to shut down far faster than most people realize, and she didn't have really anything that was helping her combat that heat and that direct exposure, because.
Speaker 2: I'm sure even that gallon of water they had, I would assume probably pretty depleted by that point. And it sounds like Bob was carrying anything they had anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she just had, as he said, beer, a beer and bikini.
Speaker 2: There's no pockets and bikinis.
Speaker 1: No, no, they're not. It's possible she attempted to take a short cut back to the camper and lost her bearings. You know, in the desert, terrain can look deceptively similar in every direction. It doesn't take much to veer off course. There's a highly unlikely theory that she encountered a wild animal. The desert is home to, you know, some of the some predators like coyotes and mountain lions, and you know the some venomous snakes and the Arizona bark scorpion. But and you know, an attack earning ca counter isn't impossible, it's just highly improbable in this case.
Speaker 2: And obviously those smaller creatures a snake, a scorpion, they would not have relocated her in any way. A mata lion probably could take a human elsewhere. Coyote possibly as well. But if you get bit by a snake, they're not packing you up to go.
Speaker 1: That is true. That would be horrifying if it did. And as we've discussed before, you know, any type of animal attacks almost always leave behind evidence their tracks, disturbed ground, blood, torn clothing, and despite an extensive search and even involving the canine units and trained teams, none of those signs were found. If she had been bitten by a snake or stung by a scorpion, she likely would have been located within the search radius. After succumbing to her injuries, Barbara had only been out of sight for a matter of making it even less likely that such an encounter could have occurred without leaving any trace. So there's really no evidence to support any animal involvement. There's the theory that Bob suggested that someone may have encountered her and picked her up. While the area is remote, they did have to cross that road to get back to their parked camper. And then there's the lingering suspicion that investigators initially had, though no charges were ever brought against him, but some people have also pointed to this theory online, questioning whether Bob's account fully adds up, and noting how difficult it is to verify what happened when no one else was there to witness it. Some speculate that the disappearance may not have been accidental at all, but the result of foul play. However, it's important to emphasize that this remains pure speculation. Of course, no charges were filed and no definitive evidence has been made public to support that conclusion. But I also understand why some people have fully ruled that out. You know, the timeline is entirely what he's provided, the events are entirely what he's provided. But you know, I think all we can assume unless evidence comes to light, is that this man's wife went missing, and now you know, she's been confirmed as deceased, and he has to, you know, mourn.
Speaker 2: That would I mean, it sounds like they were again in very close proximity, so I would Obviously it's a speculation, but I would think if someone had stopped to get her in a vehicle, and she was not looking to get into a vehicle, you would think that Bob would have been within a distance that he could have overheard a scream or her calling for help or something of that nature, if that had happened.
Speaker 1: I agree, Yeah, if she had come across anything or anyone that meant her harm, there would be some sort of like audible indication of that to Bob to where he could, you know, at least know something was going on that shouldn't be going on. I also thought it was strange that that's what I was going to touch on, is I looked for an obituary online, you know, since she has been confirmed, as you know, unfortunately dying out there. But there's there was there's really not anything on it. So of course that's entirely at the family's discretion and we can respect that. But yeah, I was just hoping to learn a little bit more about her.
Speaker 2: You know that I spent a lot of time reading obituaries, Yeah, for no good reason. But yeah, I guess it's tricky though, because you know, some families at some point put out an obituary when it's presumed that this person has died and they may or may not be found, But then other families hold out hope and don't put one out. Yes, I guess it's tricky when someone is found at a later time. I mean, obviously, like you said, it's at the family's discussion. You can put one out if it's five years after they disappeared or five months, or however you want to do it. But yeah, I don't know. That's interesting. Again, nothing, it means anything either way.
Speaker 1: But so, regardless of the exact circumstances, Barbara's story highlights something important, and that is the desert can be very unforgiving. Even short hikes, especially short hikes, can create a false sense of security. Carrying enough water for each individual, not just as a group, is critical. A gallon may sound like a lot, but in extreme heat, it can disappear quickly. Lightweight clothing might feel comfortable, but it offers little protection from sun exposure. And perhaps most importantly, stay within sight of your hiking partner can make all the difference, because sometimes all it takes is a single moment out of you and everything changes. Barbara set out on what should have been a simple, familiar hike, but somewhere between that rock formation and the camper waiting just ahead, she disappeared, and while her remains were eventually found, the full story of what happened to her in those final moments may never be known.
Speaker 2: I think we all need to live by the saying that my sister in law tells her kids that I have now stolen. Can't see you, can't save you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like that, you know, because it's valid. If you know, kids wander offrom a store, something happens, so she can't see them, she can't do anything. If you're outside, it's the same. Can't see you, can't save you, can't help you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, this is just an awful situation, you know, just a fun little pit stop to go for a little you know, walk and look at the look at the landscape and all of that, and and you know, unfortunately only one made it back alive from it. And that's just absolutely awful for everyone involved in her loved ones. And yeah, you can never be too careful.
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, I'll be curious if there's ever a cause of death released or any more information that comes out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So that's uh, that's it for today. Thanks for listening,