Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine hileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So, since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of June twenty third, we're continuing with Duster. It's episode five, Ravishing Light and Glory, which turns out to be lifted from a Nixon speech and we actually get to see the man himself.
Speaker 1: It's the seventies man. We got the cool clothes, we got the lingo, we got the hairstyles, and what else do we need here? I know, Ai Nixon, bring it on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looked like one of us, like rubber.
Speaker 4: Masks, you know how those Yes, I really did like kind of a thing for a while of yeah, those mass I guess he had a very rubbery face.
Speaker 1: He did, he did. And this has given me flashbacks, what year are we supposed to be in doing well?
Speaker 5: It's they said something about the Watergate break in on the news. Yeah, so I guess it's like, what was that seventy four?
Speaker 1: No, the seventy to seventy three, So must have been earlier, because it's given me flashbacks to nineteen seventy three freshman government class and mister Rakhelos, our teacher, forced us to reenact the Watergate hearings as part of our class, and I was assigned the role of Rosemary Woods, his secretary, and I was was peppered with questions about whether I was having an affair with my boss, Richard Nixon. Like this high school government class in Thousand Oaks, California, a largely conservative town in which this teacher probably was saying, yes, all these little Republican kids. So anyway that that was. I'm starting to feel like this show is going to have about that level of yeah, no, no, no, no, please don't make this all part of Watergate. Please, don't make this all part of water Date. I mean, I know you you enjoy revisiting that, but nobody wants that. Nobody wants that, especially if you're going to do it with some sort of deep fake Nixon performance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what was kind of creepy?
Speaker 5: Yeah up.
Speaker 1: Oh well, but aside of.
Speaker 5: Hermes and there was a little caper where Jim and Genesis, who is Saxton's.
Speaker 3: Daughter, Yes, go to this wedding to spring this her ex girlfriend or.
Speaker 4: But okay, so Jam has to distract like this whole thing where he has to distract the stepmother of the bride so that she doesn't go pick her up from the suite where she's getting ready entirely alone. Yes, and then when they they grab her and or Genesis is like okay, I'm here to I'm here to get you, and the girl's like great, let's go, and they just run through the entire party Like this hotel does not have any backdoors.
Speaker 1: Come on, come, I know you're not gonna to sneak out in some way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, she changes her clothes, but she's quite well known to all.
Speaker 1: To Kate, she'll tell you how to show me out a window.
Speaker 3: You're just running through the party.
Speaker 1: With like all these guards and everything. Yeah, that the plan sort of fell apart at that point, I think.
Speaker 5: Right, But we had to have our weekly our weekly fight scene, and our weekly car.
Speaker 1: Chase, which was absolutely it was a pretty good one. Yeah, ended with fireworks literally, Yes, but Jim is somebody whose responsibilities driving people's places, so you should have a sense of timing. Yes, you said you would come to a party with fireworks that was in the evening, and then you went to a wedding that was also apparently in the evening.
Speaker 3: Right, Oh, yeah, I'll be there. Oh.
Speaker 1: You know, we knew you were going to let the kid down pretty much from the time you made the promise. But how did you think you were going to manage that exactly? I mean, I could see if it was an afternoon wedding, you would think and then maybe it just took more time than you thought to get out of there. But it's at night. It's fully dark when he's at this wedding, And how are you going to get to this party? Don't I promises to children?
Speaker 5: Yes, I also feel like, you know, they probably weren't setting off the fireworks till like nine or ten at night, right, and the wedding had to like it couldn't have been just starting at like eight pm, right, I mean, uh huh it had I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yes, but it seemed like it was fully dark when they walked in there. If it had been like kind of dusky, I would have thought, oh, yeah, I can see how he thinks he'll be able to make this right. But it didn't seem like that was the case. Oh well, maybe it was just a lighting. Whoever was supposed to do the lighting on that scene screwed up well.
Speaker 3: As someone wise once told me, you have to let art wash over you.
Speaker 1: That is true, you have to. But another truth of TV is don't make promises to children. Yes, because once you make a promise to children, the audience knows you're not going to keep that promise, so right there, you've given away the game. And also, I guess as a parenting tip, don't make promises to children unless you're super sure, because even if you are not a criminal adjacent individual, you will something will happen, something will come up.
Speaker 3: It's called under promise and over deliver.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Yes, you say, you say, you won't be able to be there, and then you come with the fireworks, and then you're a hero. Don't let don't let mom's skeevy boyfriend win that point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he got in there, sim you're in trouble.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Is he supposed to seem untrustworthy?
Speaker 3: Do you think he seems okay to me?
Speaker 1: But also I'm kind of squirrely about him. I don't know, but maybe it's just because he is the antagonist of our beloved lead. But yeah, you see, you let him pick up that point for free. You left it right there while you were driving and throwing fireworks at pursuing soons. Right, So by the end we have this setup that is just brimming with anxiety. Nina is now planted herself in SAXIS operation. She's a recognizable FBI agent that lots of different people have seen already, so that should be fine. And Jim has gotten his dad mixed up in this, ye, so if there's a falling out between him and sex, that'll be fine. You know what, old friends, sometimes you lose touch. It's just how Corbyn Burnson's wife did not say a big absolutely not to this. I do not understand they've been setting her up as an antagonist for Jim and she's like, oh, you're going to infiltrate his operation.
Speaker 3: Excellent.
Speaker 1: Let mean, why would she not be saying this is a stupid thing to do. Don't go near this, because they've played to her vanity as well. That's true. Actress can't go wrong. Yes, and it worked because Nina was crossing her fingers and lying convincingly.
Speaker 3: Just like that. And also, did you know Nina speaks fluent Russian.
Speaker 1: Of course she does.
Speaker 3: Because her mom was a professor. I don't think that's how that was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think that's how it works. Oh well, you know, sometimes you just have to pull something out of your butt. But yeah, it's.
Speaker 5: It's she didn't, like you said, she didn't disguise herself in any way.
Speaker 3: No, you know, she just people.
Speaker 1: It's not like she's been working in a back room. Tons of people have seen her. If she comes across any other FBI agent, I mean that person will be exposed too, But they're going to know, right h It seems like not textbook field work going on here that she's not going to tell anybody.
Speaker 3: Did you know that she just left the she just finished at Quantico. So yeah, so it's new and try new things.
Speaker 1: But I mean, not only is she taking on this kingpin bad guy, but clearly there's a massive operation going on against this at her place of business. Yes, and she keeps just bucking it over and over again. This is not gonna come back. So she's not exactly working quietly where nobody can figure out what she's doing. She's like, Yo, gonna go over here and do this thing that you told me not to do. But I see, Uh, that seems to me to be unwise on her part. I guess that's the newbie thing. But you know, you've got this one thing that you're focused on, if taking this guy down who killed your father, but you're also obviously tripping a lot of wires on your way.
Speaker 3: Yes, and.
Speaker 1: Pretty soon, you know, deep fake version of Nixon is gonna be shaking his finger in your face, lady. Right, this goes up so high. Yeah, there's a guy and a cowboy hat has come down, so you know it's mad.
Speaker 3: He's already got his ticket to Phoenix.
Speaker 1: And he's picked up at the airport by the Weasley guy.
Speaker 3: From the THEISS. Yes that was they they.
Speaker 1: All but brand weasel across that guy's face. The direction to him was you look as weasily as you possibly can at all times. We don't want anybody to doubt whether you're a good guy. Right, A lot's going on, lot's going on here. Parenting tip, Please don't ever do anything that's going to cause your daughter to want to put herself in mortal danger to solve the problem the case.
Speaker 3: Of avenge here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't get in with crooks. Just live your life quietly, possibly find an island to go live on. Yes, and yikes, because she is endangering herself and others in order to do this, And it's funny. There's the girl who plays the She a secretary? Is she at the FBI offball girl? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think she's secretary.
Speaker 1: She's been in it since the beginning, and she has a cute little scene or two every time, but need no impression in me. I kept seeing her picture on IMDb as having been there in every episode, and I'm like, who the heck is this And I finally figured out it's her, and she does She just has like a cute little scene every time, right, and she's getting to actually do stuff now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was psyched too, Yes.
Speaker 1: And sufficiently psyched that rays of light came off her body and attracted the attention of every agent there, going, what the heck is going on over here?
Speaker 3: She tuk it to yeh, keep it a little.
Speaker 1: Bit on the down low there, lady. But she's Nina's got her little band of misfits. They're going up against the highest levels of skullduggery. Yes, so what could possibly go wrong?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And what can we learn from this?
Speaker 1: If Jim ends up in a cage, he's going to be I hope they don't. Hope they don't put any like a Pacemain girl. He's just gonna explode because those car chases. I'm guessing his heart rates.
Speaker 3: Have some adrenaline involved there.
Speaker 1: My notes are full of the phrase this seems so unwise. But shout out to using the Simon and garfunkl song America on that kind of wistful scene where he's watching is the young girl do fireworks?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: The mom's new boyfriend.
Speaker 3: Now. My husband was like, wow, they paid for Simon and garfl impressed.
Speaker 1: Yep. It was a very nice cue for there because it's so melancholy. Yes, and they look like a family.
Speaker 3: Right, that is a classic TV you know.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is so classic that we like kind of set our watch by it. In the In the opening scene where he promises to come to the party, we're like, okay, about three quarters the way through, he's going to show up the dead. The boyfriend is going to be giving out fireworks. Yes, his heart is going to break. So, oh well.
Speaker 5: We only have three more episodes of this, a lot of stuff to happen. Next Wednesday will continue with Duster's episode six, the title of which I am led to believe is in Russian but translated to meet by the Clothes. So all right, I don't speak Russian. I'm not able to say it in Russian because I don't read cyrillic either, so I can't even try to fake it.
Speaker 1: But cute of them to put a title in Russia.
Speaker 3: Yes, Russian.
Speaker 1: Most of the time, we're not going to tell you the titles ahead of time, now we are, but it's in Russia anyway, and I are too clever for your own good yep.
Speaker 5: And I just also wanted to mention that our old ells in the Gilded Age have returned as of by a couple days ago. When you're hearing this, so we will watch it, but we're going to finish.
Speaker 1: Up Duster first. Not a lot of gunfire and car chases in matt but they're still quite lethal.
Speaker 5: Yes, there's definitely a lot of skullduggery to use the term that you use, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, and looks that could kill and social death.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So we'll get to that in a couple of weeks and we'll see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout round up.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.