Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Michael Monks from KFI News has joined us because he makes his own ice cream.
Speaker 2: Why is that so funny?
Speaker 1: Well, I was gonna say, I was going to make something up, like we're talking about the La Fire recovery, We're talking about homeless dollars and how they are how they are spent in the city. And then I decided, let's just be honest. We brought you in here for ice cream.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm glad to do it.
Speaker 3: You know, this has been a lot of fun experimenting over the past few months, and I've got a couple of flavors for you to try.
Speaker 2: Well, let's go back.
Speaker 4: I feel like, first of all, I missed it, and I'm sure that other people did as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is this a passion of yours? Well, it's something I've been curious.
Speaker 3: I've been ice cream curious for some time, and so I started experimenting. Right for my birthday, my spouse bought me one of the Ninja Creamy Deluxe. Yeah you did, yeah, you know, and I'm like, like, coming out as an ice cream maker. Here, I'm still experimenting, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So we've got.
Speaker 3: To trying it out, just trying it out. I'm not committing to anything, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.
Speaker 2: It's like cocaine go on.
Speaker 3: So he buys it for me, and it turns out he loves making it, so he's dially the work behind all of this.
Speaker 2: I'm the brains of the is that right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know it's a dubious claim.
Speaker 1: I guess, slow roll of that client.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I've got some entrepreneurial experience and so like, let's figure out some flavors.
Speaker 2: So we're doing it.
Speaker 4: You do, you have to have a marketing gimmick, so I'll give him that. Yeah, Like one's the brains, one's the tongue. I mean, the taster, is what I meant. So you've experimented too, sure, exactly, That's all part of it. And so today I have brought in our revamped Strawberry Wild flavor.
Speaker 2: It's called strawberry Wild. What makes it wild?
Speaker 3: We pick the strawberries on the wild streets of the fashion district.
Speaker 2: Wait, hold on, sorry, these came from the streets of La. So this has a disease. It like, I've got this.
Speaker 3: The analyzer that we use in the Fashion district is all organic.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I feel like these strawberries have been urinated on a couple of times over haven't been urinated on, but they may have been splashed with what exactly these are, Beau, I don't know about this is these are from the fashion.
Speaker 2: Just to be c I can tell you it's back in the newsroom and in the halls. This ice cream is getting rave reviews.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: I didn't tell them I bought the strawberries on the streets of l A.
Speaker 1: Oh you bought. You didn't pick them. I'm seeing you picking like random wild strawberries through the fence.
Speaker 2: You know, those occasional fruit dealers out in the streets.
Speaker 1: Sure I trust them.
Speaker 3: I do too, and they're really cheap, so you know, you see the prices of strawberries.
Speaker 1: Trust the dealers. I don't trust the wild strawberries on the street of the fashion district, Bingo, not that I've ever seen wild strawberries growing in the Fashion district.
Speaker 2: No, you wouldn't. Wow, do you like it?
Speaker 6: Very?
Speaker 1: Uh huh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we think We've got this flavor knockdown. Now the next one you're gonna try as.
Speaker 1: Wow, I don't even like strawberry ice cream, and I freaking love this this.
Speaker 3: Hold on a second, let's discuss this mouthfield. It's part of the process of learning who you are.
Speaker 2: This is why I was right.
Speaker 1: I'm hearing you talk to Michael Monks about the mouthfelt of.
Speaker 4: The feel there is there, Okay, so con never there are certain characteristics of ice cream that make that unique mouthfield. If it's too creamy, then it's it disappears. There has to be a tiny amount of in my mind, a little bit of grit to and there is. Sometimes it's the sugar something.
Speaker 3: You want to know that the ice cream has spent some time out on the streets. I want to know it's been somewhere, it's been somewhere.
Speaker 4: And the idea that first of all, that these these come from the streets of the fashion district. I mean, not growing in the cracks and sideway necessarily.
Speaker 3: But but did they fall off a turn up truck in the middle of the Vada pot Maybe maybe possibly, But they're good, they were so fresh, these strawberries.
Speaker 2: What kind of cream are you guys using Okay.
Speaker 3: So the recipe is of course proprietary, because you're already I'm gonna tell you the last time we made it, we just used heavy cream and sugar to kind of get the base. We switched those two items out and have switched to condensed milk and it changed the whole game. And we made a homemade jam and swirled it into the middle of it.
Speaker 2: Are you gonna get a little bit of a swirly the have you? Have you tried BlackBerry yet?
Speaker 4: BlackBerry is my favorite fruit forbidden if you will, uh huh. And it's harder to come by, it is, But once you go to with the blackberries berry, Yeah, you guys can get blackberries anywhere.
Speaker 2: No, they're right next to the the raspberries and the blueberries. You want me to bring you some blackberries.
Speaker 4: They're not great, some of those you talk at store abought blackberries? Yeah, some of them are under ripe and they're not as flavorful.
Speaker 2: Agreed.
Speaker 3: They can be a little tart, and you know you need a little punch, you know. I like for the BlackBerry to punch me when I eat it.
Speaker 2: Now, what is the other ice cream? This one?
Speaker 3: So the other one is as a coconut. It's it's got more of a store Bay textus. This just shows you that we're learning right, because that is not as creamy as I want.
Speaker 2: It to be. I'm gonna go with this. I'm not a coconut fan, but I'm gonna try. I think you'll like it. The flavors rum.
Speaker 1: I need rum.
Speaker 2: You need to that.
Speaker 1: I can't have coconut straight. It's awful straight coconut. That's like for people who live off the land and drink green juices.
Speaker 2: Where's the rum there? You go, a little strawberry wild, a little coconut.
Speaker 1: Is there anything that makes you want rum more than just cocon coconut? Just coconut, raw dog and coconut.
Speaker 2: No, this is the weirdest.
Speaker 1: Oh really, Yeah, you're gonna pull the car over. You were the one who put it on the road and turn the ignition on.
Speaker 2: How did that happen?
Speaker 4: You called Michael to come down, and you you said, is Michael even ran down the hallway in the middle.
Speaker 3: Of the show, just gonna drop off some ice cream for you guys to taste. Then go back to the newsroom.
Speaker 2: You're always your ray of sunshine, And this makes the sunshine that much. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Incredible.
Speaker 3: Yes, I know again, I'm more of the brains of the operation, but the spouse is the one behind me.
Speaker 1: In greeted, I need to meet your husband to find out.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna bring him in. Okay, I'm gonna bring him in. He likes these kinds of conversations.
Speaker 1: They got married in a coffee shop.
Speaker 2: Don't bring him in without ice cream? Did you know that? Did you know they got married in a coffee shop? It's true.
Speaker 3: It was a lovely ceremony and all on the theme, you know, beautiful flowers, coffee and.
Speaker 2: Chicken fingers in Kentucky. In Kentucky, did you say chicken fingers? Andre?
Speaker 1: Can you believe that? Isn't that the perfect wedding?
Speaker 2: Great wedding. You should have invited me to your wedding the way she invited me to her wedding.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 1: So again you know this story, Michael another time?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, thanks guys, thank you.
Speaker 4: Ice Cream at ten in the morning is the one of the times of living in the first world.
Speaker 1: So good. I love how you guys spent a whole segment just to get a bite of ice cream. Yeah, I told you We're going to Conway, Conway our way through this day?
Speaker 2: Boom? Did I tell you that I'm lactose intolerant. It's about to get real. Wow. I'm going to give you coffee every day. This is fun.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 4: We've talked before about sleep, divorce, and a twenty twenty three American Academy of Sleep Medicine survey, more than a third of people say they regularly or occasionally sleep in another room to accommodate their partner. Some times seen seems like you might be fighting, or you don't agree, or there's something going on, or someone's got a sea pap, or somebody snores, or somebody runs hot, or somebody moves a lot, or what would be.
Speaker 1: Less about fighting and more about snoring, Because if you're fighting that much to where you're regularly sleeping in another room, there's other problems that exist other than sleeping in another room.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a forty three year old woman Ray and her husband Alex forty four. They've been together for a decade. They started decided they were going to sleep apart. They refer to themselves as wellness entrepreneurs. Okay, anyway, they drinking a lot of green juice. It said that they were determined to find a way out. They said they'd fallen into a rut sexually. One of the things they did was they explored celibacy for several months to try to just alleviate the pressure that they felt to Oh, that's a red flag.
Speaker 2: They also said, well.
Speaker 1: We're we're rut sexually. Let's just not have do it.
Speaker 4: But they suggested trying sleeping in different She suggested they sleep in different rooms. She said it would give them the opportunity to have restorative solitude at the end.
Speaker 2: Of each day.
Speaker 1: This is all red flag land.
Speaker 4: But she says, the moment we separated the bedrooms, it was more fun, like do you want to come to my room tonight? Or can I come to your room tonight. Now they spend most of their evenings unwinding with their daughter before they then retreat to their separate bedrooms. Okay, some nights they just cuddle. Other nights they do this. I thought you were going to do that. You don't have to do that more often, she says, they find themselves doing it. You know it at other times, like in the morning or on the weekend when their daughter is visiting grandparents. So it worked out, she says, Now there's zero pressure around any of it.
Speaker 1: Do you ever feel pressure to to perform? Listen? WHOA no, And I never want to hear you use that word again. I listen. I'm coming from a place of not judging, just because every relationship is different, and I think that a lot of people think that it's normal to have sex this amount of times a week or a month or a year or what have you. Everyone has their idea of what they think is normal, and I think closer to the truth is it's different for everybody, and whatever works for you works whatever, as long as you're happy.
Speaker 4: But I had there were times when my wife would be stressed out from work or something like that, or concerned that she was her being awake was going to keep me awake. Would it be more restorative to use that woman's word for her to sleep somewhere else or for me to sleep in the other room something like that. And I hated the idea for selfish reasons. I mean, if it was gonna work, it would be great. No, no, not is that, But the idea that it was again, it's it was completely selfish reasons.
Speaker 2: I want to appear like the marriage works.
Speaker 4: And if there's somebody sleeping in the op or in a different room, to me, that's a that's a bad sign.
Speaker 2: That's an indicator that something's not going right. It's not. But I'm saying in my mind, from my.
Speaker 1: Filter, and I understand that. But wait till your wife starts snoring like a wart hog. She would never I mean it, it happens. It happens with people. And then entering like a ward is a warthog, even a thing a warthog is real. Okay, I don't know if they I would imagine they make a lot of noises. But it's not about your wife. It's about the fact that when my husband snores, which it's very rare, he's actually, I think, trained himself out of it.
Speaker 2: But he's afraid of you.
Speaker 1: I can understand if somebody in the marriage snores, it could be me, I could be a I don't know. But then it's it's problematic because then you're not getting your sleep, and then you get cranky, and then you're pissed, and then it's bad for everything.
Speaker 2: That's bad.
Speaker 1: Help I mean, he'll like, it's not that you're pissed at the other person. They can't control the fact that they snore or whatever. They're sleeping on their back and not on their side or what have you. It's not like a character flaw. It's just it is what it is. And if you don't get your requisite amount of sleep, you're probably not going to be in sexy time moved.
Speaker 5: I guess, Hey, Gary and Shannon, it's Ed and Florida. My wife and I have a sleeping the separate beds for probably six years now even more because she has to have a television on and I will go nuts with the TV on.
Speaker 1: My sisters like that all night long, but we get along.
Speaker 5: Well, what have you about it? Thanks back.
Speaker 1: Some people have to sleep with the TV on. That's a whole nother thing.
Speaker 2: Does that develop over time or did she did they know that going into it?
Speaker 5: Did?
Speaker 1: She has to says I. I used to do it when I lived alone for a while. I used to do it as a teenager. I slept with the TV on. It would help me go to sleep, and then early in my early twenties i'd sleep at the TV. And then I kind of got over it. But if you have a hard time going to sleep, sometimes just having something on falling asleep to something interesting at least in your head is helpful.
Speaker 4: I would just be terror I'd be listening to the show. I thought, what I mean, I would be listening to what. I'd be trying to figure out what's going on on the show.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I go to sleep some meditations sometimes.
Speaker 4: Uh my wife found a podcast and it's not a podcast of this show, but it's something called something like Nothing's going On or Nothing's Happening, Yeah, something like that, And it's just someone talking. There's no real story to it. It's just it's just like quietly someone's talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And does she go to sleep to that? She does every night? Yeah, when I.
Speaker 1: That sounds great. I'm gonna have to look that up.
Speaker 2: She snoozy.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised she doesn't have I'm surprised she doesn't have.
Speaker 2: You just talk sometimes she does. We will come back carry and Shannon, we'll can that was a joke. You were supposed to laugh.
Speaker 4: Steve sober Off has bowed out as the recoveries are for the fires, and he's got some pretty damning things to say about La City Leadership.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: Tonight you should do that whole yellow versus orange thing for her.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: More importantly, the video where you're describing your outfit is a hit on Instagram.
Speaker 2: You're very serious about it.
Speaker 1: You were called out for having your water bottle match your bailor insignia that you're wearing on your hat and your sweatshirt. Some people are calling you colorblind for not realizing they're very similar colors. Some people are referring to your water bottle as a sippy cup. Some people are saying that you are being a d Let's see here.
Speaker 2: A lot of people agree with me that.
Speaker 1: Somebody called you mister grumpy. You're bringing mister grumpy pants over this. It's probably nobody likes and mister grumpy pants on a Friday. Whitney has the best response of everyone. She writes, whatever color you want it to be works for me. That's how you talk to crazy people. And she knows that that's what we're dealing with.
Speaker 2: What's going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So, Steve sober Off was asked by Mayor Karen Bass to be the fire recoveries are for the January fire that ripped through the Palisades, and he has decided that he is going to step back from that because nobody has asked him to do anything. If you remember, he was hired for a three month term at a salary of five hundred thousand to be funded by nonprofits. He said, you know what, keep the money, I'll work for free. Because everybody said, well, if you got five hundred thousand to give him, why don't you use it on fire recovery. Anyway, he was initially tasked with coming up with some sort of a strategy, comprehensive strategy for the rebuilding process, the recovery process, and he told the La Times quote, they haven't asked me to do anything in a month and a half, nothing, zero, exactly.
Speaker 1: He's shedding a light on what happens all of the timing government. They bring in a name like Steve sober Off to make everyone feel like something's being done. Oh Steve Sobroff. Remember he's the guy who took care of the Olympics. Right, He's one of those names that it's going to be like a sav Right, he's the bandy. He's gonna fix it all. So there's we're going to hire Steve Sobroff and everything's gonna be fine, and then everybody moves about their day when the city is not actually going to do anything. They're just throwing money at the optics of the problem.
Speaker 4: It's interesting. He does say that there were some things that he did do. He said he helped coordinate some of the FEMA organizational work, the Army Corps engineers work. We picked up the phone and made a couple of calls well. He brought in mental health experts. He helped broke her a deal so that the high school could temporary, temporarily relocate to an old That was Steve sober Off.
Speaker 1: That wasn't the city saying, hey, we should do this or we should do that. And that's part of their thing is they know, they don't want know what the hell they're doing.
Speaker 4: But even the city doesn't have the balls to thank him for stepping forward and doing it. Listen to this statement from one of the one of the spokespeople for Karen Bass. At times Steve sent confusing messages to residents, but we are grateful for his service and his contributions. The bottom line is this Mayor bass is on track to deliver the fastest disaster cleanup effort in California history clean up after that, So you take a shot at him for that wasn't even a compliment sandwich where you're like, Steve's been great, He's been wonderful.
Speaker 1: Clearly that was a fractured relationship from go all right? Coming up next, how are we getting any comments about sleeping in the same room or sleeping in different rooms? I remember my great aunt aunt Mary and uncle Andy. They had separate twin beds, same room, but separate twin beds.
Speaker 2: Well, that's very uh. I love Lucy, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I have a question. I understand the different sleeping. I understand that some people sleep better alone.
Speaker 2: Ernie and Bert.
Speaker 1: Also Ernie and Bert did that, But like, where did they have sex? Where did Aunt Mary and Uncle Andy have sex? Did they on a twin bed?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Isn't that part of why you should wait to have sex in life? You don't want to have it on a twin bed, and you don't age out of a twin You shouldn't age out of a twin bed like I remember like the rich kids getting to like double beds in high school and just being like, oh my god, that is such a big deal to get like a double bed, right, Like, that's a huge deal. It's very grown up. You should have a twin bed until you move out of your parents' house the first time.
Speaker 2: And even then, like you should have.
Speaker 1: And in your college dorm you shouldn't have a double bed until you're nineteen, and then you're and then you can have sex. But like, if you've got a twin bed, there should not be sex. You don't know what you're doing if you've got a twin bed anyway, So that's that goes back to aunt aunt Mary and uncle Andy, like what they're they're boning in a twin bed. I don't know.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a country song. Yeah it does.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I do know what you mean.
Speaker 6: Okay, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI A M six forty.
Speaker 4: We are currently on daylight saving time, and he, according to his plan, would would keep it that way.
Speaker 1: How do you think traders are going to spend this Friday night, I'd say the weekend, but betraying their I think they spend the rest of the weekend in bed but I mean, it's been a hell of a week on Wall Street.
Speaker 2: What do you what did you think? I meant? I thought you meant trader like trader.
Speaker 1: To the country, Oh t r A I t o or ah, No, I meant like Wall Street traders. Because of the crazy stock market garden, they're gonna go out and freaking taiwan on or what? Ye does not even mean taiwan On? What does that even mean?
Speaker 2: Get drunk? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I know what? Oh you like?
Speaker 2: Where does it come from? I don't know what does it mean to get snockered? I've never heard the term before.
Speaker 4: We'll talk more about tariff stuff coming up when we get into swamp Watch. But we're telling this story this sleep divorce study that came out where so many people said that sleeping in separate rooms. I think about a third of couples have said that sleeping in separate rooms has improved their romantic life.
Speaker 3: Morning daring shunning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't sleep in separate bedrooms, but she really doesn't come up to bed till like three in the morning. She watches TV downstairs until like three, and then I get up early to go to work. So we'm more together about an half and a half and then she makes sure that the dog gets in the middle.
Speaker 7: So and now I'm blocked and just it's yeah, I don't know what to do.
Speaker 2: The marriage is wonderful though. She makes dinner, I go to work and I provide and do all that of stuff. That's good.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, the pets in the bed thing is is problematic for me.
Speaker 2: It should be listen, peel the curtain back a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my dog, despite his small little legs, can jump up onto our bed. And if we're going to lay there and read or whatever for the first few minutes, like we're getting ready for bed, brushing, our teeth whatever, he'll jump up and sit on the on the very foot of the bed and he'll stay there. It's great, it's fantastic. It's a like Norman Rockwell. But when I turn that light off, he's going away. You you don't get to you don't get to stay here, you don't get to move around, you don't no, no, no, none of that stuff. You get your own little place. There's your bedroom over there, behind that locked gate. That's where you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because people doing you know, stuff like that in front of their dogs.
Speaker 1: I would not do that.
Speaker 2: Would I would not do that.
Speaker 7: It wander from Auburn, California. It's not a sleep divorce. It's a snoring reprieve room. So you don't go insane with the noise. That's like a sleep causes dementia. My husband doesn't want me to get that.
Speaker 1: Have a good day by Was.
Speaker 2: That a dog?
Speaker 4: I think she was walking a dog and there were birds. That's a lot in the out of doors.
Speaker 8: Hey guys, my husband is forbidden from sleeping in a different room from me. Even if we're fighting in bed together. You can turn your back to me. I'll turn my back to you. Whatever. As for the snoring, that's what earplugs are for. Have a great weekend.
Speaker 1: My husband is forbidden from sleeping at another roobe you even if you.
Speaker 2: Stay awake, you'll be in this room.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious.
Speaker 2: That's pretty great, all right.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It is also a Friday, which means we're gonna do what you learned this week on the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good luck with that.
Speaker 4: Leave us a message, learning anything, leave us a message on the talkback feature on the iHeart app. So if you're listening on the app, it's just a little button up in the right hand corner that's got a microphone on it. You tap that little button and leave us a message, or you can use your smart speaker just say hey, send a message to KFI and the message comes right in where all the other messages come into.
Speaker 2: Is that right? Is that rot?
Speaker 1: Have you been saying that this whole time?
Speaker 2: Much of the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't know you could do that. That's what I learned this week.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you listen, so you.
Speaker 1: Can say that to your thing, send a message to KFI, right, and then you just speak it and it goes into our.
Speaker 2: Little talkback thing. Yes, really, does Siri do that? I don't think so. You can give it a shot, but I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, I'll find out.
Speaker 2: Good talk. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.