Speaker 1: Hey, folks, we're recording at Chainling's smart Con event. And joining me today is Nathan Allman, who's the founder and CEO at Ondo Finance. Nathan, great to have you. Yeah, thanks for having me, Nathan. Ondo's been in the news a lot. I've been following Ondo closely, getting a lot of adoption, and I would love to hear about the founder's story, so to speak. What led to you creating Ondo?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: So, I founded Onto about five years ago. I previously worked in traditional finance, So originally I was in private credit, and then I was at Goldman on the digital assets team immediately prior to founding Ondo. When I was there, we looked at a whole bunch of blockchain based platforms that tried to you know, drive post trade efficiencies to different asset classes. And you know, that provided me an opportunity to go pretty deep into the weeds of understanding why things are the way they are are in trad FI. And you know, very much became apparent to me that that there's been a path dependent evolution that has resulted in a bit of a Frankenstein, uh. That is the you know, current global clearing and settlement system for you know, all sorts of different assets, and you know, I think you know, in parallel, I was very active in DeFi in twenty twenty, twenty twenty one and saw that DeFi presented a you know, radically better infrastructure for you know, certain financial services you know that interoperate really naturally with one another.
Speaker 2: You know, we talk about this idea of like money.
Speaker 3: Legos and composability, and you know, DeFi is twenty four to seven and transparent and always on. But you know, at the time DeFi was being applied purely to largely like DeFi infrastructure, tokens and other cryptonative assets, right, it was very you know, very self reflexive, and so I became very excited about the idea of, like, how do we repurpose you know, what we have in DeFi and start to apply it to you know, to actually drive greater accessibility and transparency and you know, the real financial system, you know, merging DeFi and trad FI if you will, sure, And so you know, I left five years ago to to do that. You know, our mission at ONDO is to expand accessibility for financial products and services. You know, we token aze assets. I think that's a necessary part of you know, making DeFi compatible attritional assets. You know, run the assets on chain, but we also build DeFi protocols and define infrastructure to make those security tokens you know, more usable, you know, to to given greater utility, I should say absolutely.
Speaker 1: And some of the adoption I've seen for Onto by folks by such as MasterCard, JP Morgan. So are these institutions are they now past the taboo phase or to stigma of you know, cryptos scam and then now looking to actually build on blockchain rails.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yes, And that feels really good because that's a very recent change. Sure, you know, the I would say there's a big breakthrough in twenty twenty three, twenty twenty four after black Rock got into the space with their token is Treasuries Fund, which came shortly after ours. And then that led to Franklin Templeton and Fidelity and Wisdom Tree and Wellington and you know a bunch of asset managers seeing the opportunity of tokenization as initially you know, a new distribution pathway for their.
Speaker 2: Products, right.
Speaker 3: And then you know, more recently we're seeing banks and broker dealers and you know, and and a lot of that is post. You know, the new SEC coming in and right, you know, opening the doors to particularly banks doing you know, interesting work on public blockchain. So you know, now we're really seeing the full spectrum of institutions active.
Speaker 2: Engaging on chain, you know, in various ways.
Speaker 1: So, Nathan, I think you're a great person that answered this question for those who are still trying to grasp what is tokenization and what are the benefits answering to So what question why do we need to tokenize? Ask?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the answer varies quite a lot based on the target audience. So you know, I'll segment into two main buckets. Sure, and that's those in emerging markets who might not have great access to financial products and services today. So for them, tokenization is just a very simple access play, so much in the way that stable coins have driven access to the dollar in Latin America and Turkey and Southeast Asia and so on. Sure are tokenized stocks in our on a global markets platform which launched just six weeks ago. You know, they're they're driving accessibility to stock spawns and ETF's high quality US financial assets to you know, those outside the US in emerging markets. Sure, And you know that is a very cryptonative value prop. I mean, that is one that's building on the fact that you know, Bitcoin was this innovation that gave us this ability to have digitally scarce value that could be you know, transferred peer to peer, uh, you know, twenty four to seven without using an intermediary.
Speaker 2: So that's one that we're very very excited about, right. It was very mission.
Speaker 3: Aligned for us, and you know, very core to the ethos of the space.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: The other is around the use of token is securities in DeFi. Right, So as we were talking about earlier, you know, DeFi has certain advantages over traditional finance from an infrastructure perspective.
Speaker 2: You know, a big one is.
Speaker 3: The unbundling of financial services. So today, right, you know, you hold your securities at a particular broker dealer and then you have to get trade, execution and lending and custody you know, and advisory and all sorts of services from that broker dealer. And if you want to, you know, if you want to trade elsewhere, you know, or get a margin loan from someone else, you to move all your securities to another BD and that takes like days or weeks and as a result, you know, each of these beds, Each of these platforms is able to you know, charge a lot of hidden fees if you will. Like margin rates are like pretty crazy for retail in the US, right, and there just isn't as much competition as there would be in a more like open composable environment like what we see in DeFi. So we're only at the early innings of doing this. But once we have DeFi with a bunch of token is stocks in it, right, I think that's going to open.
Speaker 2: The door to.
Speaker 3: Like cheaper, better financial services for even folks in the US.
Speaker 1: And in addition to what you mentioned with DeFi and accessibility is it, also we're kind of exporting our capital markets. If you the person in Latin America or in some country in Africa who couldn't access these assets now can But it also brings in liquidity to the issuers.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean hugely a creative to issuers. I mean, you know, asset managers are a subset of that, right and seeing the value prop of selling their funds to more folks, but corporates as well. So for now we're tokenizing stocks of corporations that already trade on NASADAC and New York Stock exchange. But sure, certainly tomorrow, you know, we could be tokenizing stocks for companies that might not actually need to or want to trade on you know, those those big exchanges.
Speaker 1: Right, And we also do you do you see an opportunity for private equity, Like if I'm an entrepreneur and I want to raise capital and I have the world, I have more opportunities out outside of just the United States to have participants. And it doesn't necessarily have to be a fund. It could be an individual that I can access some more liquidity and more people can participate.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's not our current focus. You know, we have to sequence these things, and I just don't think it's like, right, quite the lowest hanging fruit. Yet there are there are other challenges that tokenization can't solve that need to be worked through as well, like reducing info asymmetry and like you know, creating better price discovery mechanisms for a lot of these assets. Sure, but those are being solved in parallel. And you know, you look at certain asset managers. You look at Apollo for instance, They're doing a lot of work to make private assets more liquid and more retail accessible through they have certain like ETFs with private credit in them. So there's there's definitely a trend of private assets becoming more retail accessible, and you know, tokenization is an accelerant of that trend.
Speaker 1: And then do you eventually see assets like real estate being tokenized and precious Well, there's some precious metals being tokenized right now, some folks that put gold on chain and so forth, but real estate being the largest asset class that going on chain. And maybe folks tokenize some building here in the United in the Manhattan, I should say, and that's appealing to a lot of folks because hey, I can get a fraction of this property in the middle of Manhattan. That's probably a good investment, right, just thinking long term.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's not my space.
Speaker 3: I would say that real estate falls in the camp of areas where there's a lot of problems that tokenization can't solve. Like it might be part of the solution, but you know, the status quo of I guess there's a couple of camps, right, there's the folks that are trying to like, you know, put title on chain for like sort of I don't know, lower value, you know, single family or you know, type real estate, right, and then you know they have to contend with like all sorts of very antiquated you know, laws and rags and processes for that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I don't know how that's going.
Speaker 3: And then to your point, there's other folks that are trying to take some like marquee property, like you know, the the Burj Khalifah. Let's like, you know, tokenize that and make it more accessible. I feel like that's a little more tangible, Like sure we would know how to do that for instance, like that actually would it be very very hard to do, So I don't know. I think that's that's more feasible. I don't know what the demand is for that right now.
Speaker 1: So I think your point you brought up there demand is important because if you don't have a market or liquidity for it, then like dead right, who's going to want to get participate? But it just depends on the asset or the building or whatever it is. If it has mass penetration, I guess and mind share whatever you call it, and people know, oh the Empire state building, I know what that is. And I could be in another country. Yet let me get a crew tokens of the Empire state building or something like that.
Speaker 3: And this is why we started by tokenizing assets that already have established market prices and deep liquidity. Yeah, so we don't you know, if you tokenize an asset that isn't yet liquid, then you have to build both sides of the marketplace at the same time. Whereas you know, in our case, like even if there aren't any other new sellers, like there's a lot of sellers on the stock market, and we're just like making you know that liquidity available on chain. So it works for a buyer almost just as well, whether you know they're coming to our platform the day that it launched, or you know, in a more distant future where there's a.
Speaker 2: Whole bunch of sellers on chain.
Speaker 3: I mean, at some point we may have more actual liquidity formation even for public stocks on chain, particularly as we start thinking about weekend trading, where there isn't yet liquidity traditionally. But we already have a lot of liquidity, so the product works quite well even without new price discovery.
Speaker 1: What's on your roadmap that you can highlight.
Speaker 3: We think that it's table stakes for token ied stocks to really take off. That you know, a holder of a token I stock has access to all of the same services at at least you know, as good or better terms as would a holder of traditional stock. So today, I mean really just in the last six weeks, they have the ability to buy and sell at the same liquidity, but they don't yet have the ability to like margin their token I stock at the same sort of margin rates that you could get at you know, a prime brokerage account in the US. So offering offering that is very top of mind, right, Maybe that's all all league for now. There's sort of other services that you should imagine that folks have access to, you know in the US, like you know, derivs would be a big one that there's still a need for on chain.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well, a lot of folks are looking forward to the Market Structure Bill passing. Uh that's we got the government shut down and the bills in the Senate. But once that passes, what do you impact do you think it's going to have on the industry as far as innovation and growth?
Speaker 2: It's a good question.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's not something that's super top of mind for us because I think it mostly contends with questions related to like what isn't isn't a security, or at least that's like the crux of the focus of much of the industry. Sure, we're just in the land of accepting that everything that we deal with is a security. Okay, So you know, we are able to make quite a lot of progress around things like bringing token is securities into the US, even without having to wait for new legislation.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure, Nathan, great stuff. We're going to have to do a longer form interview in person, am I study at some point, and I'm looking forward to the future updates Aron onto. But thank you so much for taking the time for having me. This episode is brought to you by I Trust Capital. I Trust Capital gives you a great alternative for buying, selling, and custodying your crypto assets. They allow you to set up a self directed IRA, which gives you huge tax advantages. You can even roll over your four to one K to this platform. And they not only offer crypto, they also offer gold and silver and as mentioned, the custody gives you another very safe alternative. So many of you know about self custody that's a great option, but you can also use I Trust Capital's Premium custody accounts, also known as PCA. So with the rise of crypto scams and phishing attacks, a lot of retail investors are losing their shirts. I mean, let's be honest, right, it's to hear that exchanges are getting hacked. Well, I Trust Capital does things a bit different here. They use Ford Bank as they're qualified custudent and so they're actually using a bank here, and they have partnerships with coinbased Prime Fidelity and Fireblocks. They are fully US based and their client experienced team offers direct phone support. So not many platforms offer this. This is very unique to I Trust Capital and folks, most recently we heard from President Trump that the United States is looking to unlock for one case to be able to participate in crypto. Well, you can get a head of the curve by using I Trust Capital and getting started in that process. And folks, I'm a user of the platform.
Speaker 2: I have an account with them.
Speaker 1: If you sign up with my link, which is I Trustcapital dot com slash Thinking Crypto, you can get an exclusive one hundred dollars funding bonus. So go learn about this great, safe and awesome way to buy, sell, and custody your crypto. A great alternative once again, with tax advantages and a lot of safety. Very safe compared to many exchanges, and all the links will be in a description.
Speaker 2: Check it out