Speaker 1: Now Biden's lust for war. Top of the hour, State Reverenden Representative Jennifer gross On a new speaker, among other issues, and the meantime, welcome back from the Buckeye Institute, which you can find online at Buckeyeinstitute dot org. Greg lost and good you have it back on, Greg.
Speaker 2: Hey, It's always great to be on with You really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: And I appreciate what the Buckeye Institute does. And one of the things, and you and I have had conversations in the past about licensure requirements and the number of people that need a license to do their jobs is just it's batcrap insane. If I can boil it down to that simple term, you know, like for example, I was joking this morning. You know, my daughter and her friends used to braid each other's hair. You know, if any monetary exchange was made, then they would be in violation of law because they don't have a license, a cosmetology license or something. Hair braiding, fingernails, the simple things that require a license obviously are a huge impediment that people joining the workforce. So I see that the Buckeye Institute is all over this house built two thirty eight. So what's that about, and what can we do to open more doors to occupational licensing reform here in Ohio?
Speaker 2: Ken or Great, Sure, it's it's been an issue that we've been telling for a long time, licensing issues, and so House Built through thirty eight is actually the result of previous legislation that passed a couple of legislative cycles back that created an entire process for reviewing occupational licenses that made the legislature have to have every single license and every single licensing board come before a committee in both the House and the Senate and essentially justify what they were doing, explain licensed by license.
Speaker 1: Bass I love that, Yeah, explain yourself, justify your existence. That's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Well, and we're actually oneed to kind of put that together. We worked with some folks who are really good at this, and we put together the entire pack. It's actually the bill that created this whole process is something that we did and some wonderful legislators took it up, including actually the next probably the next Senate President was one of the key sponsors of this legislation several cycles back. So that that I think is a good sign. So we were really happy with it. So what they have to do is they have to look at essentially every two years, they had to look at one third of all licenses and renew them, or if they didn't actively proactively renew them, they would sunset go away and essentially deregulate them. So what that's done is this is the last of the initial review process. So this is the last basically grouping of all the licenses in the state. So over the last six years, the General Assembly has looked at every single license and every single licensing board in the state and has had to and again have them explain themselves and justify themselves. And so the legislation two thirty eight is basically this particular General Assembly's version of the review looking at the ones that hadn't yet already previously been examined. So the House did some really good work. The sponsored the bill, did a great job. Chairman the Committee did a great job. The spot the chair of the committee in the Senate is an incredible legislator at Christina Rodener. Can't say enough nice things about her. So this is really a great opportunity to pair of things back. And what's happening is you're getting rid of some licenses. But sometimes the other thing that happens is that you'll find that Ohio will stick out like a sore thumb when you compare it to other states. In other words, we have much higher burdens or license fees, or you have to renew every year. It's that every two or three years. There's so many different, you know, ways that this breaks down, but Ohio tends to sometimes even in the things that are going to retain their license, we overdo it in terms of the requirements. That's another thing that they are doing is they're looking underneath the hood of the car here to this examination, and they're undoing a lot of things, scaling things back to make sure that Ohio is essentially in line with other states, so that we're not at a competitive disadvantage for people who want to come here and start their career here and whatever that profession is. Because again, you know, some things need to be licensed. We're not going to argue about everything in one of those. But the key thing to always remember is each license is essentially a permission slip from the government that you have to obtain in order to earn a living. And so we use that phrase quite a bit when we're talking to legislators permission slip policies, because that is essentially what these things are. And so you know, if you have to go to say mother, may I to government, first of all, you shouldn't in many cases. But secondly, if you do, you better not be doing it having to do it in a way that is completely over the top and more burdensome than what you would have to do if you were in Kentucky or Indiana, or West Virginia or that state I dare say up North or Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Well, the point being, we need to become more competitive. And I understand and agree completely that you know, you shouldn't eliminate all licenses. There's critical information. Many people have to operate in their field safely and responsibly. It's for the good of their own health, the good of community safety, and the good of the people that they're providing assistance too. And I think, like you know, a cosmetology degree is going to require all kinds of knowledge and learning about cleanliness and hygiene and how to avoid the spread of bacteria, diseases or otherwise. But that once that information is known and learned, it shouldn't be something you have to reapply for every single year unless the state of the business or the nature of the business is being regulated, has dramatically changed or is subject to rather dramatic changes regularly, which would obligate maybe a more regular licensure requirement. But if it's not, And once you've learned it seems to me, once you've crossed the finish line, you'd be free to go ahead and back your your job.
Speaker 2: Well. Absolutely, and and and I'm gonna give you two examples of things. One is something that I think we're making some real improvements on this legislation. One this is the one you just mentioned. Cosmetology is one that unfortunately is a kind of like a little bit like crench warfare at the State House could get a change, believe it or not, it's a they were they were reviewed this time, and we couldn't get the changes in that we wanted to see there. But there's been bills the Senate's passed legislation reduced hours, for example, several cycles in a row. So this has been going back, gosh, I don't know, six to eight years. I've been working on this along with a lot of other folks. And I'll tell you this, you would be raised at the amount of lobbying that is done by private school Costology school to keep it, and they are they have to have one of the best grassroots efforts. You know, they get kids like free uh credit out credit and like took time to come down to testify with T shirts on everything. I'd tell you every single side and this is what happens. So this is one that we really need to zero in on because this is one of the ones I think is less unconscionable. Is we're way out of step because what a lot of other states are doing in terms of the hours, and we should be reducing these because these are good jobs, good jobs for a lot of folks who you know, it maybe takes a little bit of time to get the money back. So every minute that they're not actually earning money because they're having to do continuing more and more education and every hour, every dollar they have to spend on the actual programs is really a burden on them. That's something we need to work on. But one thing I'm really proud of that's in Houspital two, that is in Houstial two thirty eight doesn't seem like it's that huge of a thing. But real estate worker license. Ohio is one of the only states, and I think it's the only state in the Midwest that requires you to go to at least a two years to get two years of post secondary education. Now you can go. Instead of doing it through like a credentialing program or a variety of other providers of the education, you had to basically go to somebody that was effectively college. It was a mandate. We really say that did that, which meant that our programs to run people through are essentially way more expensive than many other states. Well, of course, now I'm not saying you shouldn't license it, because there's a lot of information to your point. You know, you don't want to have people who don't know what they're doing when they're selling people houses, right, and maybe that, but we had a requirement that no other state had, and this bill is going to get rid of that, which I think is a is a really good thing, especially given the fact you know that we have all these housing issues that we you know, going on, and we want to make sure we've got knowledgeable people out there. But we need a good market for people. But it's ridiculous that we had to have this requirement that simply doesn't exist in other states.
Speaker 1: Wonderful, wonderful updates on that. I appreciate the work as that that you do at the Buckeye Institute on behalf of making Ohio more competitive. Let's pause, We'll bring Greg Lawson back and talk about Ohio energy policy. Is connection with Senate the two seventy five. We'll see if that's going to help us out or hinder us or with Greg lass to the Buck Eye Institute. Go to Buckeye Institute dot org and check out what they do each and every day, and click that donate button while you're over there. So I want to mention Chimneycare Fireplace in Stove And here's something that's really important, your safety. And no one knows more about safety when it comes to Chimney's fireplaces and things related than the Chimneycare Fireplace and stof They are true experts. So what you want to do is take care of that safety. I know we got some winter time weather coming our way today. Did you have your fireplace inspected? Do you know if your chimney needs to be swept? When's the last time you had it even looked at it's important that you do that, most notably wood burners because of the kreisode build up that can catch you have your chimney catch on fire. Excuse me, I apologize. Your lining could get cracked, and I learned a long time ago from Gary Salvy it's usually the second chimney fire that's the real problem. Once that lining gets cracked, you've got a huge issue with your hands. So it starts with a video camera inspection. They may have water damage going on that you don't even know about. You'll find the problem. They have certified chimney sweeps to sweep it out. They can even do all the tuck pointing and rebuilding and relining that you need. They can install that free standing woodstove that you've been looking at. Maybe get a self feeding wood waste pellet stove. They got free standers on that. And they also have fireplace inserts. I got the fireplace insert, not the wood pellet one, but a standard gas fireplace insert when my old one was deemed unsafe when I had it inspected by the Chimneycare Fireplace and Stove. It was one of those things I could have burned my house down. That's the great thing. About an inspection. You're gonna have some peace of mind. As I always point out, get yourself a carbon monoxide detector, regardless of whether you're going to take my advice, which I think you should do by getting in touch with the Chimneycare Fireplace and stove. They've been around since nineteen eighty eight two four eight ninety six hundred five one three two four eight ninety six hundred. Learn more online about all the services they offer. I barely scratch the service. It's Chimney Careco. Dot com fifty five KRC, the talk station Automatic BREAKAG now seven fifty five KR City talk Station. Buckeyeinstitute dot org is where you can find what the Buckey Institute does each and every day looking out for Ohio and Ohio's best interest, which means you're in my best interest. Bring your Ohio back to a more competitive level with the rest of the United States. And one area is we seem to be struggling with going back to the criminal problems we faced in Columbus with energy related issues. I know you actually testified as you in your capacity as a research fellow, Greg Lawson with the Buckeye Institute before a committee in Columbus about Senate Build two seventy five, which addresses at least some of our energy issues here in Ohio. What will that bill do? And maybe we can even touch a little bit upon what it doesn't quite do, because I know you pointed it out. It helps a lot, but it doesn't go as far as we need to go.
Speaker 2: That's right, And no single piece of legislation is probably going to be able to do everything in one thing because it's it's really a complicated issue with energy. We've got everything from how much energy do you produce to how do you transmit the actual electricity to locations? And you know, we're growing a lot of high end users that have frankly a voracious appetype for proclicity, especially here in central Ohio. We've got in dellth Coming, we've got data centers, which one data center is basically like a village. You know, its thousands of houses or you know the amount of power consumption that uses. So we need to really produce more like this, and we need to do it fast. A lot of times you build bigger plants that can take a long time. There's lots of permitting issues, there's a whole host of things. Plus there's a whole complicated process for how you basically connect new plants and new generation capacity to the overarching of elect grid because Ohio doesn't have its own grid right part of a thirteen state grid, so we actually are interconnected with other states. So it's a very complicated and very regulatory intensive sort of process. At the bottom line is we need more generation because that is what the technology of the twenty first century. If we want data centers, if we want to deal with things from AI and stuff like that and be at the cutting edge, that is what we absolutely have to do. We have to do it in a way that doesn't cause problems for residents because you know, you start pulling a lot of electric off the grid. For big guys, well, the obvious concern would be what does that leave back front of people? Does that mean that they don't have like trist get brown out's like California.
Speaker 1: Yes, let them eat cake, pay an arm and a leg. Yeah, that seems to me the point of all this, I mean, lookt at that. What I'm a huge fan of nuclear power plants, and the new modular nuclear plants can easily be built one size fit so you can put them pretty much anywhere. Small footprint generate gobs of electricity. It addresses the nonsensical environmental arguments that are made every single day and impact every single policy, but they work, and lo and behold, Meta comes along and says we need massive power plants. Hey, how about giving us a nuclear plant. It's almost green lit from the very beginning. So yeah, we the lowly masses are in the let them eat cake department. That really irks me, and I think it irks a lot of people, regardless of political perspective on that one.
Speaker 2: Greg, Oh, it absolutely does. And by the way, nuclear and you mentioned it, the small modular ones. I think there's no question that those are probably the future. One great thing Ohio has today is natural gas copious amounts. And you know nuclear is zero greenhouse gas mission. So if that's something that you're really concerned about, there really hits the mark on that the natural gas is likely not then call we've got We've got a heck of a lot of it. So we should be leveraging what we have as opportunities here in Ohio. And what two seventy five does is it helps to be able to create generation quickly. It creates situation where we're using there's a lot of undeveloped brown fields, former industrial sites, things like that. People are trying to get them developed all the time, but they're hard to do because it's usually for pretty expensive to do it. So how do you get private folks to come in so that's not all government money coming into the private people putting private money and to fix these areas up. Well, what this bill does, and it's actually Senator Matt Dolan up in the Cleveland area. He's obviously won a couple of times for the US Senate, but this is a good bill that Senator Dolan has a really really good bill because it allows you to use these places that aren't already being used. You can put solar panels up, but we all know that solar panels don't always work when the sun don't shine, so you have to have something else to make sure the electricity continues to be generated on a cloudy day like down in since am frankly up here in my neck the wood in the Columbus area too. So it allows for microcurbbines and smaller, not huge power plants with microturbbine natural gas to use what we already have here in Ohio to be able to make sure that there's no lag time when the sun doesn't shine, and it allows you to use these brown fields. It's smaller generation a per unit, but when it allows a person wants to buy the electricity to do is to what they call virtually net meter and that's a really kind of complicated word, but it essentially means you can package together electricity being generated at multiple different location physical locations, and then buy the electricity that way. And so that's what this would allow you to do. And the great thing about this is it can be done a lot quicker than really big plants. It can be done on properties that aren't otherwise being utilized for any kind of economic purposes, and it can be done again quickly. And I can't stress enough that you know, not quickly doesn't mean tomorrow, but you can probably put one of these things up in a year or so, or maybe a year two versus four to five years at least, and maybe even a little bit longer for some of the bigger kind of power plants. So this is something that if you've got this ball rolling soon, you can start to see these pop up over the course over the state. And it's not going to solve it because these aren't as big a plants, so you're going to need more of them. They're not going to solve all the energy issues and the generation issues. But if we need to get more and we need to get more fast. This is what I said yesterday, and the Senate is one piece of the larger puzzle, and so we think it's a great idea. Again, it's not subsidies you mentioned before, so the problems will have had with energy policy over the last few years. To put it moldly, this is not a subsidy. We've testified against subsidies for as long as I've been at the Buckeye I've been testifying against special carve outs and subsidies for specific utilities. Obviously thinks from Houspill six, the fraught and the very poor bill that was done with all the illegal stuff, but there was a lot of other stuff besides House Bill six over the years, and we've always been against that. What we like about this is it's not a subsidy. It's not the government. It's a way to make money.
Speaker 1: Let them build the natural gas micro turbines on land that otherwise isn't being used. If they have excess power, they can sell it out of profit to places elsewhere who refuse to get generated through an electricity and we and they will come.
Speaker 2: You build it.
Speaker 1: We have excess power to Ohio. It's inexpensive. Bring your business here. It'll run day and night.
Speaker 2: Greg.
Speaker 1: Tell you what Greg laws, and thanks again for all that you do on behalf of Ohioans Buckeyeinstitute dot org. Check it out listeners. You'll enjoy what you find there. Keep up the great work, Greg, and we'll look forward to having me back on the show really really soon.
Speaker 2: It sakes so much appreciate it. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Seven fifty fifty five kcdtalk station Speaking of energy at USA Insalation ninety nine dollars a month interest free.
Speaker 2: It's back.
Speaker 1: It is the best dangling care to get USA Insallation in your home, which we'd want to do anyway. It saves you money every month. The product will pay for itself over time with the money you save on your energy bills. You're eligible for a twelve dollars energy tax next year for doing the right thing. Highest OAR value foam on the market, A free inspection, take advantage of it. Call them up find out if you're under insulated, they can tell you, or if you have nothing in the exterior walls, we'll of course let you know there. And you know you need the USA phone right there, so have the whole house insulated. Enjoy the immediate comfort benefit you get. Enjoy the low low price and ninety nine dollars a month without interest, Get the tax credit, and your home will probably be more valuable. Plus it keeps the mice out. There's one other little extra benefit that can throw in there. To learn more, go online to USA Installation dot net. Call them again for the free quote. Five one three three eight one three sixty two six. That's three eight one foam fifty five KRC.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, Donald Trump Junior here with urgent