Speaker 1: Welcome to the Trauma Therapist podcast. My name is Gaming Person. I interview incredible people who've dedicated their lives to helping those who've been impacted by trauma. A big thank you to our sponsors and our guests who are supporting this show. So vive to pinion one our folks. Welcome back to the podcast. Super excited to have as my guest today, Adrian Bender. Adrian, welcome.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me. I really appreciate it. I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you today.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Adrian is a licensed therapist, practitioner, and researcher devoted to healing at the intersection of identity, dignity, and human experience. As a founder of Restoration Resources, she specializes in helping individuals heal from trauma, abuse, and relational wounds. Drawn from both professional expertise and personal experience, she equips individuals, families, and organizations with practical tools for healing, resilience, and restoration. Her work is centered on fostering hope and helping people move toward lasting, emotional and relational well being. All right, just a little bit about you before we go in share with the listeners. Where you're from originally and where you are currently.
Speaker 3: Awesome. So one quick correction.
Speaker 2: I am a trauma educator, so my background is in trauma healing and education, and I do therapeutic work that's through art, and I am not a licensed professional counselor, so I just wanted to put that ahead of time as my disclaimer. And I am from Houston, Texas. That is where I have been for many years. I was born and raised south of here in a very small town called El Campo. So I am a sixth generation Texan and that is where I currently reside.
Speaker 1: Awesome. All right, so let's get started. How does all this start for you?
Speaker 2: So for me, I would say where education is so important for me is I will never forget the day where I learned the word emotional abuse. And it was a moment in time that I needed it in a really incredible way. And when I heard that word, a light turned on that changed me for the rest of my life. And I think that that's where my passion resides, is turning.
Speaker 3: On that light for others.
Speaker 1: All Right, you just you buried the lead here. How did you come to learn that word? We got to go back?
Speaker 3: Okay, So I learned that word. I was in a moment of time.
Speaker 2: I was nine months pregnant and in a situation that was really really scary for me. And in those moments, I would grab a phone or grab an iPad and I would kind of just like start googling. I was very confused. I was living in a fog. I knew something wasn't right, and so I would just ask questions trying to get to the answers of what was going on in my relationship at the time. And it was that word emotional abuse that when it flash up on the screen that I knew in my situation that there was something that I did not understand. And I think that that's where my pursuit started and where it came from, was that that particular moment.
Speaker 1: So you were married, Was this your first child? Yes?
Speaker 2: Married, first child, beautiful home baby about to be born?
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, how long have you been married when this first started?
Speaker 2: So it was the very first day of my honeymoon that this first started, and it was very shocking and it was very confusing, and that's when my world turned upside down in a way that I I've definitely have never been the same from but I've also used it in a way to give me purpose for the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're nine months pregnant. About that?
Speaker 3: How pregnant?
Speaker 1: Yes, this amazing kid. And you said you you googled? What did you google that word? Or No, I was.
Speaker 3: Googling at the time.
Speaker 2: I was very confused, and I was googling, you know, how do you respect your husband when he hates everything about you or something along those lines, Because he was. He was very angry, and that was kind of the norm at that point. And I really thought at that point in my life that if I, if that was happening, I wasn't loving enough, I wasn't being respectful enough, I wasn't being kind enough, I wasn't honoring enough. I wasn't I was doing something wrong if that was happening.
Speaker 1: So what did you do? So?
Speaker 3: What did I do?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: I definitely I'd been in therapy at that point in time with a really amazing therapist and he was so kind and patient and letting me kind of discover things and kind of pointing me in the right direction. And I went on a deep dive. I went on a deep dive educating myself. I went on a deep dive really understanding where this kind of started.
Speaker 3: And I did leave it nine months pregnant.
Speaker 2: So I left the situation and took one hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: And I rebuilt my life.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, but at the time I was an educator, so like that was my background at that.
Speaker 1: Time, being an educator at that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I had been I got into education, I was in business before that I left. I'd been in education, and at that point in time, I was just to stay at home wife. But that was my background. So I that's my natural go to if I don't understand something, I need to learn right right, So, and I needed that language, so.
Speaker 1: Correct me if I'm wrong here, there's there's It can be two different things to know something, in your case, to be an educator and to actually have the being going through the experience and say, WHOA, this is happening to me? Is this happening to me? I must be nuts. It can't be happening to me. Was any of that going on for you?
Speaker 3: My question was what is happening to me?
Speaker 2: Because I did not I did not understand emotional abuse, I didn't understand manipulation.
Speaker 3: I didn't have language. I did not.
Speaker 2: I truly was living in a fog of I just I was clueless of what this was, and so I was really searching for answers at that point in time, and I really truly did not have the language or the awareness of what this was. And so that's why like to see emotional abuse. It was just such a moment of like what is this? What like there is some that's a real thing, Like it was just not even in my vocabulary at that point in time, and I was, you know, older.
Speaker 1: Were you sharing this with friends?
Speaker 2: No, I did not discuss this with anyone in my family, any of my best friends.
Speaker 1: Because I'm like some if some of your friends were like, girl, no, you got to get out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I really did. It was it was I did not share it.
Speaker 2: I was something that I was definitely walking through alone because I felt at that point in time that I would be like dishonoring to like my husband or my marriage or I think.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of.
Speaker 2: A lot of I'm from a person that I come from the Christian Church, and that was I think that there's a lot of things within that that are inherent in that that.
Speaker 3: Kept me silent.
Speaker 2: So that was another part of things that were kind of woven in both historically, just through the history of how that's been embedded into the church, and then just my own personal experiences with it. I think I was kind of it was kind of ingrained at that point in time that to speak would have been not respectful and not honoring for sure.
Speaker 1: Sure, I'm wondering if there was ever a point where you were like, you know, of course he's acting this way, he's having a baby, he's freaking out like a lot of them.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, Oh I justified everything, yes, And everything was always it must be the stress or I always had excuses for that.
Speaker 3: From the moment it first happened. Oh my gosh, you just got married.
Speaker 2: This is a massive change, and so I would always justify it for sure.
Speaker 1: So how did you differentiate?
Speaker 3: So how did I differentiate?
Speaker 2: I think just knowing what it was, and then I went on a deep dive onto like at that point in my life, I did not know, like this is healthy and this is unhealthy, and so I really I think started with diving into what is a healthy relationship and ship look like and really getting a.
Speaker 3: Good framework for what that was.
Speaker 2: And that was really the starting point to be able to say that to differentiate between the two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did what and we'll talk more about this, but what were some of the qualifiers in that sense? The differentiators in that sense?
Speaker 3: Oh wow?
Speaker 2: So the differentiators like am I respected?
Speaker 3: Is my voice heard? Can I speak without fear? You know? Do I have freedom to choose without retaliation? You know?
Speaker 2: I just do I feel safe in my skin? Does my nervous system feel at peace?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: So really learning because I went into it pretty strong and like who I was and my identity. I just come back from working overseas and I had a strong sense of self and so to feel so I don't know at that time, just so not safe in my body. I think that that was a big indicator for me, you know, to get back to like something is wrong here?
Speaker 1: Okay, so what do you do? You see these amazing therapists? You said you left at some point from from the time where you were like how long was that time where you were like some what the heck is going on here? Till the time you left? How long was.
Speaker 2: That from the very first moment that it was scary? So the time I left was fifteen months. So I was not in it for very long, and there would be moments where things would be all of a sudden better and I'm like, oh, okay, like this is better, Like we communicated through this, like this is this has been resolved, we processed this right, and then it would, you know, circle back around, which is the cycle of violence.
Speaker 3: You know, Like that's pretty common.
Speaker 1: So how do things unfold for you? What did you do.
Speaker 3: So after that?
Speaker 2: I mean, so I left two weeks before my tried was born. I was homeless at the time. I did stay with some family for a little bit. I stayed in a hotel and I called my old job and luckily they were hiring for exactly what I was in that moment. And so two weeks after giving birth, I was interviewing at my old school and it was the most amazing community ever in my life to walk back into it at that point in time.
Speaker 3: And I've since reached out, like not too long ago.
Speaker 2: I'm like, these people probably think I'm nuts, like, you know, because I just to communicate my gratitude. I don't even know if people really understood the community that they were for me in that moment, and it was so special and yeah, I eventually was able to get into an apartment later that fall and moved on from there. But that was a very big turning point in my life and for the next I was single for five years after that, and I spent years really unraveling, like how did I not see? Where did this come from? Because something was going on in me that I didn't see those red flags?
Speaker 1: What what was that? So?
Speaker 2: What was going on in me? I was definitely not raised in an abusive household. I did not I was never beaten, I was never abused. But I did not see healthy relationships. I did not understand what boundaries were, the fact that I could set them. I didn't know what, you know, really resolving things and repair was in a relationship in my family. I think that we were just I was specifically raised to be very passive, and when a problem happens, you don't speak about it and you move on.
Speaker 1: So that's why I think of stereotypical passive female.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I was kind of set up with that, just with the dynamics that I was I was raised in for sure.
Speaker 1: So okay, so how do you get going here? I mean, you're started restoration studio? How does it start.
Speaker 2: So for years, I think I really started doing a lot of what I would consider trauma healing, even from my early twenties, and whenever I would kind of go through a season of healing, I would write and write and write, and you know, different seasons would come and go, and I really started to see a pattern in.
Speaker 3: Kind of my healing journey, and.
Speaker 2: So the way for me best to heal a lot of times is to write and really articulate what that is. So I think that that's where my very first curriculum that I ever wrote is called Restored Foundations, and it really kind.
Speaker 3: Of walks through what that restoration.
Speaker 2: Journey has been for me, and it's just been on repeat in my life over and over. And then part of that, you know, what is healthy and not healthy is a piece of my course that I give away to free for anyone in the entire world, just to be able to turn that light on for someone else. And that's just something important to me. I truly believe that ninety percent of all trauma it does come from, you know, relationships where there's an unhealthy dynamic. And if everyone on the planet truly would know what was healthy and not healthy and make a choice for themselves to heal from that, the relational trauma that exists would be radically changed. Like if you want peace on earth, teach people what's healthy and not healthy and see if those that would be committed to it, would it changes things for generations?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about your what you offer the curriculum. As you said, how did you begin to put things down? You said, when you were healing, you were always writing up down right? What does your your curriculum look like. What's the structure of it, how do you bring people through it? What's important for you to share with them?
Speaker 2: For sure, Well, for my healing curriculum, the most important piece.
Speaker 3: Is snippets of information.
Speaker 2: And a very small short teaching a word of wisdom, and then places for people to really look at things critically through just different questions, different journaling activities, different exercises to give the tools and give the reflective space that's needed. Because most people, when they have the time to really or they take the time because they truly want to heal, really look at things through that reflective lens. It gives them the insight that they need to be able to understand. You know, how your story contributes, you know, like my story before this reallylationship with such a big part of what brought me to that place of being this high achieving, you know, goal oriented strong woman to be in homeless, you know, in an.
Speaker 3: Abusive situation, like there's.
Speaker 2: Something going on reflectively that I had not done or I had not discovered about my story yet there was an important piece.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Other pieces are really, like I said, understanding what's healthy and what's not.
Speaker 3: Understanding what boundaries are and how to set them.
Speaker 2: Understanding you know, what tools that you need in your life to be able to cope and cope in a healthy way that when stress comes and these relationships come, how do you get stronger, you know, and handle it in a way where you don't crumble? How do you build that resilience. So that's a lot of what my work really stems around.
Speaker 1: Which is easier said than that.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely.
Speaker 1: Lay it all out in a nice curriculum. But you got to go through I mean when you were when you I.
Speaker 4: Can't imagine Adrian like being married, nine months pregnant and you're even contemplating like I got to get out of this frigging relationship. I mean, what is going on for you and looking back at it now, kind of what do you wish someone? I mean maybe if you had been able to tell someone what do you wish, maybe they could have offered to you or shared with you, or told you or advised you, or maybe you wish this, They would have said, get the heck out? What was it?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I mean, what my curriculum is basically what I wrote to my eighteen year old self that if someone would have taught me at that age, it would have spared me years of suffering.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get specific here, give me some of those items. What did you write down? So?
Speaker 3: What did I write down? So?
Speaker 2: And I guess there's there's two different things that you're asking here, because one was what would it be in that moment that someone could have said to you?
Speaker 1: Was that?
Speaker 3: Can I clarify that question?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, let's do that.
Speaker 2: So in that moment, honestly, the kindest thing that anyone could have done would be to gently insert the language that I was looking for, right, so for my therapist to he would ask these really amazing questions that would kind of point me towards things. Because where I was, I was so devoted and so dedicated. I was the woman that would have never gotten divorced like I was loyal. So in that moment, to be a listening ear and to just ask curious questions and to allow me to speak, I think that that's one of the most helpful things that you can offer to anyone that's walking through it, because you can't, you know, force someone to come to those conclusions.
Speaker 1: Do you remember kind of what some of those questions were.
Speaker 2: I don't remember the questions necessarily. I do remember that he would not give me advice, and I wanted it. The other thing I remember very specifically is some of the analogies, So he would give me these little analogies, these little metaphors, these little things that would paint these pictures for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's great.
Speaker 2: He's great, and I went I saw him. Not it's been years now, but the last time he's gotten a lot older, and I don't know, I don't know if he's with us now, but he was such a godsend at that point in time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely so, in.
Speaker 1: The best way I think that a therapist might. He didn't give you advice. He kind of allowed you to kind of realize what was going on and that can be a tough thing to do, to experience. I'm wondering, was there any feelings of shame for you? Was there any feelings of embarrassment? How could I let this happen? Et cetera is going on?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I think that that's one of the reasons why I was silent is because, like, I'm not someone like I'm pretty tenacious, you know, I don't really fail at things. Well, so I think to have such a new marriage and to have it failing, I think that that's why I was probably silent. That and this deep loyalty that I have that once I stand by someone, that's just kind of like my nature. But I do think that there was a certain amount of that, and I think that when a therapist would uncover that too quick, I think that it probably would make someone want to run in that moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Well well all right, so more specifically, you said you created this program talking to your eighteen year old self. Yes, let's get talk a little specifically about what you said, what you felt you needed to say to that eighteen year old self.
Speaker 2: Well, the things that I would have taught and I hope that the next generation is something I teach my kids all the time. Is really having them rooted in that sense of identity of knowing who they are, that they're valuable, and that sense of self worth, I think is something really important. And knowing themselves, not who I want them to be or who the world wants them to be, but who they truly are. You know, what they love, what they hate, what they want, what they don't want, you know, and really finding that sense of voice and rootedness, because when people do come across your path and they don't align with that, it really helps you to kind kind of sort through different relationships that you want to invest in that you don't, and then knowing those red flags of what's not healthy. You know, like, I don't know if a lot of things like in the world today, they're really they can be really toxic, And I don't know if unless it's being taught somewhere, how people really are able to Unless you just see by example of what you're raised with and you happen to come from a really healthy family, what that looks like in terms of what you allow into your life and what you don't, there's not a whole lot of clarity on that, So you just kind of go with the flow and you let people in and it gets crazy, and it's like, how do you handle that? How do you address that when you have people in your life they're not supportive and they don't respect you, or they cross your boundaries, you know, really giving real life language to that for the next generation. I wish I would have known, you know, if someone's not kind you said a boundary, how do you do that? You know, like that would be an important tool that I wish I would have had.
Speaker 1: All Right, just reminder, I'm speaking with Adrian Bender Restoration Resources. So who is your program for Let's get an idea here more specifically of what you're offering to people.
Speaker 2: For sure, I'm offering it to anyone that needs that sort of clarity in their life, whether they're looking for just a foundation after going through a lot of different tumultuous relationships that have been confusing, if someone is, you know, for that next generation young adults, I think it's really important to be able to have good clarity moving forward. That's just something that I truly believe that we need to have educationally within our universities and within our schooling. And if that's not something that's part of a regular curriculum. I think that it would be important that people individually that want to have a healthy foundation in their life to be able to have those skills and tools and to know how to really love themselves well so they can go out and do great and amazing things and live a life that's full of purpose and joy and not constantly caught up in chaos.
Speaker 1: So is this an online course? I know you have a community also talk to us specifically about what each is.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is an online course. You can access it anytime by going to my Restoration Resources Org website and it's the Healthy Relationships course I offer for free. Anyone can download it today, tomorrow, at any point in time. It is available for anyone in the community. And then my community that's attached to that is called Restoration Conversations and you can find that on Instagram, and that is just a place for people to be able to come together and have conversations about these things and learn really how to if you've been through some of these things and getting them what I consider I like to educate and then.
Speaker 3: Point people to the therapist.
Speaker 2: So once we turn the light on and we give some language to some of these things. That's where I really play a part in this ecosystem is really providing that language, providing some of that basic information so that people can get the help that they need if they haven't been in healthy situations in the past, and how to move forward through that. I just I consider myself someone that turns the light on.
Speaker 1: Now are you working? You said it's for anyone, but is it more for women or doesn't matter men? Women?
Speaker 2: It absolutely does not matter. Yeah, No, it's anyone. It's it's not gender specific by any means.
Speaker 1: When you when you find yourself, let's talk specifically about your community. Are those online discussions?
Speaker 2: Yes, So, like there's a there's a platform that anyone that takes the course they can join. There's resources at it every week, and we're slowly gathering different voices from the community because I just think that there's so many powerful voices out there for those that are having resources Like I just my goal over the long term is to really have a place where it's more of a collective of all of the voices that are really speaking into this in this moment in time, because I think that there's it's just kind of a powerful shift I think from the previous generation to where we are today, and there's so many people right now that are contributing to this conversation and just over time, I want to pull all of the resources together so people can find you know, trauma informed therapist, and if you're struggling within eating disorder, or if you're struggling with you know, relationships, or whether you're struggling with depression or anxiety, just a general place for people to go and find the curriculum and the tools that they need and find that clinical help as well that partners with that, so that people can get not only the educational side, but the clinical side that's so important for people to heal.
Speaker 1: Now, I think you said you're currently in a relationship. Yes, yes, okay, So when that started, were you like putting stakes in the ground. These are my boundaries. I'm going to get this right this time. You know what was that like for you? Yeah?
Speaker 3: It's so funny. I always say, it's like, you know how.
Speaker 2: You're like you're in medical school and you learn all the head knowledge and then you actually have to.
Speaker 3: Go practice and surgery as a restaurant.
Speaker 2: Right, That's exactly how it's always felt for me because I spent five years like really healing from all of this and like getting the education and then to actually apply it with a real life human being was such.
Speaker 3: It was so interesting. And yes, now, I mean the.
Speaker 2: Beginning, there were some moments of there was a lot of communication and a lot of problem solving and really talking through. But yeah, now I've been married for eight years and he's amazing, and it's wonderful.
Speaker 3: And it's so good and it's so.
Speaker 2: Cool to see how like when you have the tools, how quickly you can repair and the connection that you can form and the dreams that you can build together.
Speaker 3: It's really really beautiful. So it's wonderful.
Speaker 1: As we kind of close out here, I'm wondering how this experience has altered impacted your relationship with your faith.
Speaker 2: I've done a lot of deconstructing. I've done a lot of deconstructing, and I have a lot more to say about that and a lot more work that I will be releasing on that in the future. That's definitely the next step of what I definitely look forward to discussing with the world.
Speaker 1: Is that another podcast episode, It's.
Speaker 2: Another podcast, it's another curriculum it's another entire world. Like I'm wrapping up my doctorate right now, and whenever I finish that, that is my next assignment.
Speaker 3: Because there's a lot to stay and.
Speaker 2: There's so much history and theology and tools that women need. I think some of the most oppressed women on the planet are people in the pulpit or people behind the pews in some of these churches.
Speaker 3: So I definitely have a lot to say about that.
Speaker 1: So is it safe to say it has shifted impacted your relationship?
Speaker 2: Well, I still have my faith. My relationship with the church is very, very different. And being in the South and seeing a lot of that perpetrated in the society and in culture and in churches, it is something that it needs to change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Yeah, Well all right, Adrian. What's the best way for people to learn more about you and your incredible work?
Speaker 3: Sure, I'm at Restoration Resources dot org.
Speaker 2: And if you do forward slash and podcast, you will find a page specifically dedicated to all the things.
Speaker 3: That we discussed today.
Speaker 1: Oh I love it.
Speaker 3: You have a special landing page.
Speaker 1: We'll help all that link up here at the show notes page at the Trauma Theravist podcast dot com. Adrianna. Love it. I mean, come on, super inspiring. Appreciate you being here.
Speaker 3: Awesome. Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: All right, take care, uh huh, thank you. That is it.