Speaker 1: This is the what you're talking about with this podcast, and there's no preamble today, there's no mucking around. We are straight to the crux of it. King Marcus of Ilkley, you came, you saw you conquered. Mate. First of all, I want to talk about Ilkley. I want to talk about grass courts and teamwork and all of that. What your plans are? Where are you now? What are you doing?
Speaker 2: I am in an airbnb by Baron's Court. I'm playing Queen's this week, the Queen's Club HSBC Championships.
Speaker 1: Nice of course, the stellar artoire in my mind.
Speaker 2: And yeah the cinch since since you agon of course, yeah, fever Tree a tree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, of course, yeah, well done, well done. Yeah, and other branding sponsorships available. So tell me, so you got straight into Queens.
Speaker 2: We've got a wild card. Yeah, no, you don't get into I mean there's I think the coup was sixty or something like that, so so here's always strong Queens. Just before Wimbledon, pairs wanted to get on the grass. So yeah, so we got a wild card. Yeah. So that was confirmed on Friday of last week, not this this coming Friday.
Speaker 1: And as yet we don't know about the wildcard for Wimbledon.
Speaker 2: No, we don't know about any other wild cards Eastport, but I think we will find out this week and I think, I mean, the best part I've ever been for a wild card. But yeah, don't count your chickens.
Speaker 1: Hmm, don't count your wild cards before they hatch. So look, let's let's talk about why you're in such a great position. You're sixty five in the world. And also, dear listener or viewer, however you consume this, isn't it amazing? Like we're talking to the sixty fifth best doubles player on the planet and actually the biggest Grand Slam of the years a couple of weeks away. You don't know if you're in it. You don't know if you're going to be turning that little uber app on and doing a few deliveries or playing in the Grand Slam. Always astonishes me and how cool you are under that kind of pressure. But let's let's talk about one of the reasons you're sixty five in the world is last week you won it, Ilkley, We did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was a it was a tricky week actually, so lots of rain, delace, lots of indoor practice, and yeah, so I actually actually felt my achilles go on the Monday. We'd hit for an hour indoors. I think some serves at the end, and I felt for me, felt something bad and achilles. You don't want to mess with, do you. So I was in the physios a lot. I was in with a doctor a lot, and we were kind of debating whether I was going to play at all last week. So that was, you know, in hindsight, now that's quite an interesting interesting thing. But I got taped up, we got a Wednesday start, and you know, I played. We played the second match indoor, the fourteen twelve match. That was quite topsy turvy. But yeah, so I got three matches on the grass.
Speaker 1: Unless someone's following this, they don't know how much I mean, you say topsy turvy. Last week in the UK, it basically just rained, right and for grass scoots, that's terrible. What happened? How do you find out about where you're playing and how you get switched to an indoor a critic?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so so yeah, everything changes through the day, so your schedule to first of all, you schedule your practice right, and then so you practice for one that is still raining, so then you try and push that back, and then they got so backlogged and they said, well, we're going to put the doubles indoors because we need some matches to get done. Now, begg in mind, the first round already done. So this is you know, they're talking about four matches in the in the whole tournament. They did the women's as well, but they threw the doubles inside and there's not lot you can do about it. Obviously, I didn't want to go in for my for my achilles, change the surface, it's more impact on the indoors. But you know, once once they made that decision, you've got to You've got to go. You've got to play. So then I went to the doctor and visio and said, look, can I play, did a bit of testing, taped it up like a mummy and and they said, well, if you feel it, just pull out straight away. And fortunately I had no feeling in my left leg at all because they wrapped it so tight. So so that was.
Speaker 1: So you go indoors. This is the It's kind of like the reawakening of the partnership with David Stephenson and I mean watching watching it he looks like a dream doubles partner. The serfs are just banging down. There's so many put away volley opportunities, aren't there? Off the back of that, and then obviously with you serving his reach, I mean you you always say the phrase mister tickle arms, but it's it's slightly longer than mister tickle arms, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And it makes.
Speaker 1: How did you how did you find the partnership kind of progress through the week?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was. There was a lot of problem solving each day. So you see first round as my first match on the grass, it's it's super windy as well there where it was in a couple of matches. So we're just trying to look after the basics on our serf and find opportunities on their serve. But yeah, we got we got better, We got better better. Mentally, I was a bit on edge this week actually on court, like a bit more not more negative than joyful. And so you know, after the after the semi final, and you know, my coach said to me, look, it's just your main focus for theirs to be positive, enjoy You play the best tennis when you've kind of being a bit silly or enjoying yourself. So so yeah, we we were working on more than just tennis through the week. It was, you know, after we won the quarter finals, we had you know, you guys don't look like a unit enough when you're sort of walking around and stuff like that. So we've had to work on more than just tennis. But I'd say by the final that was that was our best match in terms of maybe not performance. I mean, certainly my side. I struggled for you know, a good half an hour to find returns, but fortunately everyone did because it was difficult. But yeah, we we played our best match. I felt in the final.
Speaker 1: Why were you negative? You've just you just played your first rolling garross. You're looking forward to the grass. No more brick dust in the eyes? What happened?
Speaker 2: Not not negative? Just I can get quite chirpy. I can get quite common, you know, if if it's if it's windy, or I'm not feeling something, I can you know, vocalize that a bit too much, you know, to my to my coach at the side, or whatever. Just a bit on edge. I don't know, Just just I guess normal nerves wanting to play well on the grass, not feeling as as as well as I wanted to out there, but but I say it now, and obviously I'm not going to I'm just jumping on the grass for the first time, and I don't know, probably feeling a bit on edge about about my leg as well. I don't know, but but I'm glad to say I got better as the week went on. So yeah, but sometimes you go out there and you you don't. I don't put the best mental performance in sometimes.
Speaker 1: And so how do you feel today? Like going into Queens?
Speaker 2: But oh yeah, I had had a hit there last night. The courts a different. It's a lot quicker because there's less wind and the you know, grasses. I don't want to say true, it's just different. So so yeah, we'll just find our range. I feel a bit more relaxed now I've had some matters on the grass. Obviously a tournament win helps as well, so so yeah, feeling a bit better. Dosed up on vitamin C for a couple of days. So yeah, we'll continue to do that. Rock Star, a.
Speaker 1: Little while ago, when you've got into the top sixty, you said to me all that I'm sixty and then you looked and we were working out what you have to do to be sixty to sixty one, and then I said what you've got to do to be twenty six and so on, you know, and we were working it out. You're sneaking up there, aren't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I mean what into the.
Speaker 1: Sixties now, in the mid sixties.
Speaker 2: I went up three places. Yeah, from sixty eight to sixty five. I've I've got a few points coming off, you know, Queens Wimbledon and UMAG final and of July. So yeah, it's always the same for me. It's just to try and keep building and making it sound like an interview a bit here, but you have to just take a week at a time and try and improve and the ranking kind of looks after itself. But yeah, I have nudged up there. Yeah, there could be a phase where I stay around the same ranking for a bit.
Speaker 1: When you're playing Ilkley last week, is it on your mind going into the final with Before the final you're thinking, if I win this, I get X amount of quired and I get to go up to sixty five and that's going to put me in great stead for play the next few slams. And are you thinking that?
Speaker 2: No, Well, I know that, but it doesn't really I don't know if not really certainly not when it's in a three or on a tiebreak, I'm not thinking about that. It's it's about the next point. I've got quite good at that, Whereas before I think probably a couple of years ago, i'd have been looking at half I win this match and I'll go to this ranking and that means I can be seen in it, like, but now it's kind of you know, I think I went up one spot after that final win, Like, it's not I'm not going to ever win one match and it completely changed my ranking anymore, which is really good in the sense that you know, I'm not going to drop that much in one week either. You know, one tournament can completely change my ranking, but one match can't. So it's a case of, yeah, if I made quarters or semis of a slamper, say, that would really help my ranking. But first round to second round, second round to third round, not much.
Speaker 1: Let's let's take a quick look at Queen. So you win ill Clee, which for non UK people is in your and what do you do. Do you get the rattler down or did you drive? How did you get here or fly.
Speaker 2: We got a lift to Ilkley station, got the train to Leeds and then got picked up at King's Cross from one of the lovely Queen's cars they have here.
Speaker 1: Oh beautiful. So Queen's is an unbelievable tournament London. I actually went last Thursday. Not a ball struck because of the rain, so hooray for me. Just sat in the sat in the kind of promo tent for twelve hours or something, so had a lovely day. Nonetheless, the doubles draw is the who's who of tennis, isn't it. I mean, Hella, Vara and Patton, but like going through it, you've got Harrison, Skupski, Demonur is teaming up with cam Norri and a little pairing called Ram and Salisbury back together.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think they're playing the remainder of the grass together.
Speaker 1: Just danger everywhere, isn't it? And Cash and Glass is at the bottom there like I mean it's it's the quality is unreal and you're in there. Tell us about I mean, we kind of know about your opponents, but tell us what you're expecting.
Speaker 2: I love the way you said that you're in the we played them last year. We've got like a hybrid draw of last year. We played them first round and we beat them last year in the match tirek to play heliovar pattern. It was the other side of the draw. Look, they're very good. We played an incredibly good match last year and it was you know, they weren't quite on top of their game and we nip them. It's tough. It's gonna be tough out there. But yeah, if we if we if we serve well, if we look after what we can look after, we're going to be very difficult to beat.
Speaker 1: So if if dave yes, lots of ifs, what are you expecting from them? And have you trained? Is there like a specifics now that you're into around they're going to go here if this happens, or they favor eye formation and a break left and stuff.
Speaker 2: Not at that level like when you when you're ten eleven in the world, you can kind of serve anywhere and move anywhere. So yeah, they'll they'll have their tendencies. But it's yeah, you actually look at the breakdown of these top pairs and where they serve. It's kind of thirty three, thirty three, thirty three, fifty twenty five, twenty five. It's not there's there's not much you can read into it from what I imagine and from playing. Yeah even even not even top twenty players, top fifty, top one hundred, like, there's not many players for that many limits anymore. So it's a case of trying to make ourselves set ourselves up to be as difficult to beat as possible, and then you know, watch out for certain tendencies that I'm sure they'll be doing the same.
Speaker 1: But yeah, what is what does your day look like today? Because this is just a quick touch and we're going to do like a bit of a more thorough deep dive later in a week, So what does your your day look like?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna head to the gym in a second, grab a coffee, head to the gym, see the physios, get taped up, and then we're training three till five. So we got some we've got to practice set against I think Andreosy and Genard, and then we'll do specifics kind of either side of that, and then I'll go and get a massage, get some food. Obviously, I can't believe I didn't mention food. And then food's amazing here by the way, while I was waiting for my chicken yesterday. They leave pizza on the side, like there's a pizza oven't and then and a lot of people just while they're waiting for the food just slide to bits of pizza down. It's quite difficult. So yeah, food obviously, and trying to avoid the pizza, and yeah, check the schedule and move from there again. It's it's you feel like practice days are actually probably more bit see the matchdays, because there's lots of organize as well, and a lot to do in Queens. Yeah, yeah, that Queens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, I'm gonna let you go because I know that you do have to go, because you're a busy boy. Because that's what it is. Sixty five in the world. Who you know, it's me lounging around flicking cards in the top hat. You're the one making moves. Have a lovely day, mate, and we'll do a proper pod later in the week.
Speaker 2: Three three moves, three moves.
Speaker 3: Last week, alright, Victor of Baranco on Troumon Sergeant Murder of Craig Frederick and I'm the trumpet and the composition the Army Blues
Speaker 2: Worked like that