Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZY, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much to call a cold Tuesday night here in New England. But what else do you expect? It is January twenty eighth, believe it or not. By week's end, we will already be in the month of February. And that warms my heart a little bit because with February comes spring training, and you know how I feel about baseball. Rob Brooks is back in the control room tonight. He's all set to take your phone calls beginning in the nine o'clock hour. We will talk in the nine o'clock hour about four mayors, including our own mayor WU here in Boston, being called to Washington as mayors of sanctuary cities to talk about what is going on in Boston, New York, Chicago, and Denver. And then we're going to talk at ten o'clock tonight about I hope an executive order by President trumpet all of us can agree upon, and that is to open up the files dealing with the assassinations of President Kennedy, Senator Robert F. Kennedy, and doctor Martin Luther King A long time coming. What has taken so long, let's hope we can finally all come to an agreement and an understanding of what happened. But before we do that, we have four very interesting guests to deal with tonight, and we're going to start talking about Arts Emerson's Winter Spring twenty twenty five film programming. Everyone knows Emerson College in Boston, very creative group of students with us as Susan Jinsen, the creative producer for Arts Emerson in charge of this film series. Susan, I'm not sure if you're a professor at the school. If you are, I certainly want to be able to use the appellation. Professor. How are you this evening?
Speaker 3: I am very well then, really excited to be here. I no, no, I don't have the accolade of getting to be called a professor.
Speaker 2: Well, that's fine, I'll think of you as one. So tell us generally the winter Spring film season, it sounds to me like an annual event at Emerson College. Yeah.
Speaker 3: For the past few years, coming out of COVID, we've been trying to present a series of films for folks to attend, usually starting in February that runs through May.
Speaker 2: And this year it looks like quite a list of films. Tell us the number and the scope, and then we can get into some of them that you'd like to highlight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have two sort of main strands of a series. One is called Projecting Connections, and that comes a lot of out of my background. I had previously been the managing director of the Chinese Historical Society of New England here in Boston, and had also founded the Boston Asian American Film Festival. So sort of taking all of those things, finding a way to continue to connect with the residents and communities that connect with Boston's Chinatown, which is neighboring right next to Emerson College. And the second brand is called Shared Stories, and it's a collaboration between the Boston Asian American Film Festival, Cinefest Latino, and Roxbury International Film Festival. But where are the three of us really in that idea of like shared stories. It's like not just filmmakers sharing stories, but the shared stories between our three communities wanting to sort of talk about and uplift shared experiences that way.
Speaker 2: So the films describe are they documentary type films? Are what's the normal length? Can you go one night and watch two or three, you know, in a in a single setting. Set it up for me so that we better understand, you know, people might be interested, what to anticipate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we're there for anybody who either is looking for something on a more regular basis. Each of the series has one screening a month, and you can either choose to go to just you know one based on the content interest, or you can also I think this is the first SHOAR we've got actually came up with a bundle package where you can actually just pay like one fee, very inexpensive, and you can get to go to all of them. Some of them do have paid admission and some of a handful of them are free, but the majority of them are predominantly documentary films probably run about like anywhere from an hour to ninety minutes. We often have the filmmakers join us for conversations. That's a big part of I think all of our film presentations is that we're really looking to find ways to bring people together. You know, this idea of how art can bring people together, change minds and hearts and really connect and given how this country and how communities and neighbors even are, you know, we're really looking to try and find ways for people to be able to talk to one another and looking at film to do that, and on the opportunity to engage with the filmmakers that come is really a wonderful way to really find out how, you know, what the intention of those artists are with their work.
Speaker 2: Talking to each others are a very good idea. That's sort of the basis of my program here Nights that with Dan. Right, So, it looks to me you have twelve films, if I'm correct here as I count about a dozen films, correct.
Speaker 4: I believe?
Speaker 3: So, yeah, you probably have in front of you more than I do. But that sounds about right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do. But I assume that you know a heckup a lot more about this than I do. So that's why I'm asking. So the filmmakers, the people who put the films together. Some of them might be students, some of them might be folks from the neighboring communities. Is what I think I'm picking up from you? Is that correct? Well?
Speaker 3: Actually, these ones are for the most part, they're all you know, documentary filmmakers or filmmakers who have been established professionals. Art Summerson is part of the arm of Emerson College, which is in charge of presenting public facing theater and now film, so it's pretty much professional, you know, international to national stories and filmmakers. Many of these stories actually come out from outside of the New England Boston area. Think actually, of the film that we're presenting, Nine Man by Ursula Yang is the only one who has connections. She came out of Newton, Massachusetts. But the rest of them, a number of them have been featured like at fun Dance, and then some of them are actually world premieres from an artist from San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Tell us about nine Man, then if that's the one that's local, we're always interested. Came out of Newton, Massachusetts. Can you give us a quick synopsis?
Speaker 3: Yes, this one is actually probably one of the older ones, but it's actually probably one of my favorites. It talks about a not a little known uh sport called nine Man, and for those people who play volleyball might look a little bit familiar to them, but the fact is that it's is born out of for the most part, North American chinatowns. There's actually nine players on the court. Looks kind of like volleyball, but has some crazy moves. First, La, you know, recognize that she was watching you know, friends and her brother play and how sort of like aggressive and mass in that these guys looked and seeing that media didn't really portray them equally on you know, what she was seeing on television. She'd been working for ESPN, I think at that point wanted to make and let people see what the side of Chinatown look like China. This uh captures one particular tournament that is a tournament that happens every Labor Day weekend where teams from across North America come together to compete. And this one particular year that they covered actually was shot predominantly a mess in Boston's Chinatown and.
Speaker 2: So and so the tournament was in Boston, and so people will be able to recognize the surroundings and some of the backdrop of the film. So okay, that's.
Speaker 3: One that's somebody that they know.
Speaker 2: Yep, oh, absolutely, that's it, because there's that there's that connection. Okay, Well, so then the real question is how do people find there must be a website. Is it simply arts and Emerson dot org slash events?
Speaker 3: I believe that would be a bit even if you just only got to the Arts Emmerson dot org. There's like, you know, four kind of pictures that rotate, and one of them is like the film program that people can cook on.
Speaker 2: That's I just want people who are interesting and listening. And sometimes people are driving in cars and they don't have the ability, uh yeah, to write down, but if you give them something simple is arts Emerson dot org, they'll remember that. Well. Thank you very much, Susan. Very interesting conversation. Thanks so much, Thank you.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate this opportunity. I've I've been a listener of years for a while now, so this is a pleasure and a real wonderful, thank you opportunity.
Speaker 2: You very welcome. Susan Chan of Arts Emerson. Thanks thanks again, Susan. When we get back, we're going to talk about Valentine's Day. That's kind of around the corners. Not next week. We still have to get through four more days, well three more days of January and then the weekend. But it's going to be in a Friday night, second from February, and we have someone coming up next hour who's going to keep you some tips on maybe some of the places, some of the cool places you might want to take your special squeeze on Valentine's Day evening or maybe even before or after. Mattie McCarthy will join us right after the break. Here on Nightside. My name's Dan Ray. This is Nightside. You're listening to WUS Boston, Boston's news radio. You can always listen to us on the iHeart appet you can listen to us on Spotify a whole bunch of places as well. By the way, but you go to Nightside on Demand dot com and listen to any of our past hours. I mean going back for probably years, well at least a few years or a couple of years, but recent we've had some really good recent guests and different recent topics. We invite you to peruse them at Nightside on Demand dot com and continue to listen. This evening. We will get to our talk segments right after the nine o'clock news, but we have three more guests coming up, beginning with Mattie McCarthy on the other side. This quick break. Now back to Dan Ray line from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio. Valentine's Day about two and a half weeks away, you got to do a little bit of planning and to help you with that process is Maddie McCarthy. She is a publicist, a brand representative, a social media consultant, and a lifestyle expert on all things Boston. Well that's quite a business card there, Maddie. You got a full full menu. Pardon the pun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hi, Dan, how are you? Thank you for having me?
Speaker 2: You very welcome. You're very welcome here, that's for sure. So you have all sorts of information about what folks can do on Valentine's Day. It is a day during the year when couples, whether they've been married for fifty years or dating for five weeks or maybe five days, try to maybe have a special evening out. This year, Valentine's Day is an Friday, so it kind of works perfectly, I guess. And you already have presented us with all sorts of all sorts of dining options. How do you develop this? Do you have to go around to all these restaurants and sample the whares and so so tell us what's good and maybe what's what's the best? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well, all the all the restaurants that I'm going to talk about I have eaten out before, so they are all great. They're all unique in different ways. And just with my time at IUC Boston and working with so many different kinds of clients from you know, fashion, entertainment, health and wellness, so many culinary I've been looking enough to become, you know, a little bit of an expert when it comes to like what to do, where to go, and definitely where to eat around.
Speaker 2: How did you get a job like that? I mean, you didn't go to college. I don't know where you went to school, but you didn't get a college in like a master's in dining out. That must be behind how you ended up in this position that a lot of people would be envy yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, No, I'm definitely lucky. Definitely something that some friends and family are jealous of. But no, I actually I did get a degree in PR and marketing, and then I actually worked all through college at a restaurant where I served and bartended. So I was lucky enough to kind of find this career path where I could kind of marry my schooling in PR and marketing also then with you know, my background in restaurants and working with people on the culinary side, so a marriage.
Speaker 2: I love your enthusiasm that's very important. So let's let's talk about since we're in Boston here, we'll start off with You've got three great locations you're suggesting in Boston South End, and so why don't you hit us with these and emphasize the difference between each of them. We can't spend a lot of time because there's a whole bunch you have here. We want to we want to sort of hit it quickly. You got the Beehive, Spybar, and Cosmica. I've never heard of any of those three, so I'm all ears really.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yes, so I'll start with the Beehive. So the Beehive is really a Boston stable, So I'm surprised Dan you haven't. You haven't checked it out before. You definitely got to go. But yeah, So they are known for live music of romantic date night. They have really creative flare when it comes to their menu, and definitely a place that you want to check out for Valentine's Day. They're doing multiple days of Valentine's Day specials. Actually all three of these venues are which is great. Spy Bar also jumping in there if you're looking for something a little bit newer, Spy Bar is great. It is a listening lounge and cocktail bar, one of the newer, newer ones in Boston, and they have amazing cocktails almost too beautiful to drink, but they also have or nerves and they.
Speaker 2: Are doing I could how beautiful the cocktail is.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, So they're also offering multiple specials throughout the week two so like twelfth to the fifteenth, a lot of we're seeing a lot of venues do uh. And then left but not least in the South end is Cosmica. So if you're looking for a Mexican cuisine, they just got a new chef in super authentic, super flavorful dishes and on Valentine's Day you can expect mariachi music, Margarita's and all that. So it definitely would be a good time.
Speaker 2: Wow. So now all these three restaurants are they all reasonably priced? Because I don't want my listeners going out and making reservations at something that's gonna, you know, set them back up with a month's paycheck. These are these are all relatively reasonably priced locations.
Speaker 1: I hope they are. They are?
Speaker 3: Yes, I would definitely say so, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So then we're we we slide over to Cambridge. A couple of spots in Cambridge you suggest, go ahead?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so both award winning restaurants. Actually I'm going to start with Urban Harris and Cambridge, and that is the restaurant of chef Aaron Miller, who was actually she was just announced a James Beard finalist for twenty twenty five, which is a huge deal and we're super happy for her and what they're all.
Speaker 2: It's not like getting selected to the Baseball Hall of Fame. I'm unfamiliar with that award, so it's it's.
Speaker 4: Pretty much like that. Yeah, No, it's it's pretty much like that. So yeah, they select finalists from every region nationally, and.
Speaker 2: So I was all excited about the Baseball Hall of Fame each year old getting in the Hall of Fame. And yeah, and Sabbathia and I'm not sure if we probably wouldn't have your garment with the chef there. But what's the other one. The other one is Muna.
Speaker 4: Muna, Yeah, so that is more Eastern Mediterranean style h And they are offering a prefee menu for just sixty nine dollars for Valentine's Day and if you haven't checked out Muona. It really is great.
Speaker 2: So that's sixty nine a piece. Now, I just want to make sure my audience knows what we're getting them into. That's sixty nine at.
Speaker 3: Piece, right, it is, it is?
Speaker 4: But yeah, it really Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, I see that the Burbs and beyond. You give a big shout out to Burton's Grill and Bar of Eating at Burton's. Familiar with Burtons because it's out in the suburbs. Seven locations. I think most people know about that. You've got a couple here just north of Boston and none of these, I mean Salt and Stone, I don't know, uh, Sogno, Settler and Bernadette. Yeah, I'm not a north of Boston guys, so I'm totally in the dark. Hair give us some recommendation amongst those four.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: So Salt and Stone is in Summerville, super charming, cozy, modern American food. They actually just launched their ski Chalet experience. So we're looking for some cozy dining, a little something different, really cool there. Sonia is just north of Boston as well. It's on the Wooburn Winchester line, and it actually is like one.
Speaker 2: Of my we're getting out into the burbs. Now, Okay, that's yeah, a little bit Leinchester. I'm hearing it.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, yeah, but no, trust me when I say, I mean, if you're in the area, I'm sure you've heard of it. If you're not, it is absolutely worth a drive. It's really one of my favorite Italian restaurants. And I live in the North End, so I guess that's saying something. And yeah, they are doing some really great Valentine's Day specials, but of course they'll always have you know, the classics patas pizzas that everyone's looking for.
Speaker 2: That's my sort of place. Okay, Settler, we got Settler in Salem, perfect, Salem's been around a long time. Tough to park in Salem, by the way, Yeah, aware of that, and it's easy to get to. But that's okay. You like Settler, I assume, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I was just gonna say easy on the train for Salem, I will say, coming out of the city. But yeah, Settler and Bernadette are actually both owned by SHANEA and Aaron Chambers, which are like an amazing team. Aaron is the chef and they've had Settler and then they're just opened Bernadette recently, and yeah, both of them are really amazing. They have a pre fee menus as well for Valentine's Day, but even if you can't get in, then definitely recommend if you're in Salem them out.
Speaker 2: Okay, then we got Barrel More, not Paramore. We're talking about. Go ahead real quick. Yeah on Midnight Morning.
Speaker 5: Yeah of course.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so Barromore and Midnight Morning. Barmore's a Newton So if you're looking for something a little more casual or even if you're not celebrating Valentine's Day, you know traditionally with like a date night, here's going out with friends. Barmore is great. And then yeah, Midnight Morning is in Roslindale and they are great for everything from your coffee in the morning to a cocktail at night. They're open all day and definitely would recommend them for any coffee lovers in your life for Valentine's Day. But they also have Valentine's Day specials for the weekend of as well.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I hope people took notes and if they didn't, they can listen tomorrow anytime during the day to this, which is a really great rundown. You're very good at getting a lot in in a relatively brief period of time. They on night side on demand during the day, they can put it on in their car tomorrow morning, listen to the eight o'clock hour, and they can figure out with gonna go on Valentine's Day. I want to wish you a very happy Valentine's Day. Mattie McCarthy, we might be related. My mother's last name was McCarthy, so.
Speaker 5: You never know that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely true, Absolutely true. Great great name. Thanks Maddy, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Very much, Thanks so much.
Speaker 3: Dan.
Speaker 2: All Right, we get back. We're going to talk about a tougher issue. We're going to talk about you get a good college degree and then you get out and having a tough time finding a job. That's happening to a lot of people. We're not talking about just the people with, you know, ancient archaeology degrees. I guess there's a lot of folks out there in the business world looking for jobs and try and not having as much success as they would like to think. We're going to talk with an expert try to get your back on track right after the news at the bottom of the era. My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside. We will be right back after the news.
Speaker 4: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, let's let's keep rolling here. You know, the the job market, it seems really always tough. Whenever I talk to young people and they're they're out trying to get their first job, it's a tough situation. And some of them have degrees in hand, but jobs in many cases right now seem to be out of reach. We're going to talk with Brenda Siri. He's a workplace expert, president and CEO of Corporate Connections. But I believe you also teach in college as well. Tell us about it.
Speaker 5: Professor, I am. I'm actually a professor at the University of Texas here in Dallas. International.
Speaker 2: Oh, the university, going to say, the University of Texas, University of Dallas. That's a great school.
Speaker 5: I had a No, it's actually the University of Texas, but it's the Dallas campus, so I can still.
Speaker 2: I then can still say, hookum ones.
Speaker 1: Okay, you can, you can.
Speaker 5: And I have the pleasure of teaching international master's degree students who have come to the US to get their master's degree in STEM degrees So I deal with students all the time who are concerned about getting internships or permanent positions. But my students have a caveat in that they are international students, so they need to go to work for a company who will sponsor them. So they have a little more difficult road ahead of them than just you know, domestic students who are looking for jobs coming out of undergraduate and graduate degrees.
Speaker 2: Okay, so is our focused and I always sometimes my producer, I want to make sure I understand is our focus tonight to talk on international students the difficulties that they have jobs us?
Speaker 5: No, Yeah, it's on us students. Actually, you know, there was a recent article that came out on CNN talking about the fact that companies have a fear of hiring undergraduate students who are coming out with their college degree. So a lot of the gen zs that are coming out with their first, you know, four year degree, why.
Speaker 2: Is that why they have a field? I've been at situations. We sometimes have done this radio show on the road. We go out and we do nightside on the road, and I oftentimes will be approached by students and they'll tell me I have it a tough time, and I remember talking to one woman in New Hampshire several years ago and so, what's your what's your major archaeology? It was like, well, wow, archaeology is you know, it's not a stem. I mean there's probably stem elements in archaeology, but there's not a lot of jobs in it. What why a gen z is being looked at as scance here by potential employers? I think I know the answer, but I'd love to hear it from you.
Speaker 5: Sure, you know, I think there's a variety of reasons. Right, This Particularler survey that was done, the feedback that they got was that gen Zer's lack motivation. They have a very difficult time communicating. They struggle getting feedback if they aren't performing to their expected potential. And really part of it revolves around a lack of work experience, right, And in what I teach the master's degree, students typically have gotten their four year degree, they've gone out and worked, and then they're going back to school to get that master's degree. Where a lot of your students who are getting undergraduate degrees their work experience if they didn't go out and fight for internships, which is a fight believe me, during getting their bachelor's degree, maybe their work experiences in retail or restaurant work and they're getting a degree in engineering, or they getting a technology degree, and they don't have applicable work experience, which is really important to employers when they're looking at hiring very new, you know, potential employees.
Speaker 2: You know. One of the things I think, and I'm kind of old school, I'm not going to tell you how all day, but I've been in television for thirty one years and now we've been in radio on air, in both TV and radio. And one of the worst jobs I ever had while I was in college was one summer I cleaned toilets. Oh goodness, basically a janitor, okay, And I learned a lot from that job. I learned humility, that there's a lot of people out there who don't have the fortune of having It was a good experience, I guess in retrospect, sure, I kind of felt like Bill Murray and Caddyshack as I Caddyshack even hadn't been made as a movie at that void. But do we undervalue those types of work experiences for students? Not everybody can get an interest it isn't a work experience. Any work experience potentially beneficial.
Speaker 5: It can be if if it is displayed properly on their resume, right, So if they put their soft skills as well as their hard skills right, so thought skills, accountability, communication, collaboration, able to handle pressure, able to multitask. If they can show that they have those soft skills, even if they learned them working in retail, working in a restaurant, working as a janitor, you know, that says a lot to hiring manager.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's vastly you know, underestimated. And I mean back when when I was in school, you went to school full time and then in the summer you scrambled and you tried to make a few bucks. I don't know if that model still exists anymore, or if does that exist. Do kids, you know, be in school from September to May and then they try to, you know, get a job, whether it's you know, I don't know, working as a lifeguard. I'm trying to think of the traditional jobs that we're concerning, the primo jobs when I was in that area.
Speaker 5: You know, we live in a very competitive job market, and you know, with with so much technology flying at us, right. I mean, I have students who are getting degrees and generitive AI. So you know, it really is a different world today than it was twenty thirty years ago. And so really what students are scrambling for today are those jobs that are going to really give them those those skills that are going to help them be more attractive to employers when they do graduate. However, I will say to those employers, I think it's important to uh, you know, focus on behavioral interview questions that could help them get to the bottom of Okay, I had Candidate A who only worked at a restaurant this summer, and I have candidate B who worked at Goldman Sacks. But did the one that worked at the restaurant learn the value of the qualifications that I'm looking for in a candidate. And some of those questions can be, you know, something as simple as you know, what type of constructive criticism have you received and how did you deal with it? Or are you used to juggling multiple assignments and how did you manage a workload? You know you have to juggle man, you know a lot of assignments when you work in a restaurant and manage a workload. And while it may not sound as attractive as a Goldman sax, maybe they learned something intuitively that somebody else didn't.
Speaker 2: I think that's good advice. So do you work both with students. And again, your group is called Corporate Connections LLC, who can avail themselves of your services employers or aspiring employees.
Speaker 5: So really I am essentially what is known as a headhunter, so I get hired by companies to find the best talent for their open position. However, I am also a very caring person and because of my role as a professor, I certainly work hard, you know, with students to try and teach them how to go about getting a job, whether that's interviewing skills or the right things to put on your resume, because it really can make a difference.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Well, look very nice to make your equaintance. If folks want to get in touch with you, there must be a website.
Speaker 5: Yes, my website is Corporate Connections LLC dot com. I'm also on LinkedIn as Brenda sr and Corporate Connections LLC has a business page on LinkedIn as well.
Speaker 2: All right, well, pleasure to meet you. Now I've finally met the person who you say, talk to Siri and tell us what's going on. That's not you, right on the holy kidd, not me, all right.
Speaker 5: Fortunately I wasn't smart enough to copyright my last name.
Speaker 2: But yeah, now that is that's a woman who certainly knows how to multitask. I don't know how she does it. Thanks, thanks, Brendany. I do appreciate it, professor, Thanks very much. We get back in to talk a little Super Bowl sports with Chris Price. He's been here before, Boston Globe sports reporter, and we'll figure out who's.
Speaker 1: Going to win.
Speaker 2: The Chiefs of the Eagles in the Super Bowl two weeks, well a week from this Sunday, So we're talking about what eleven days. It's cut right around the corner, coming back on night Side. Now, back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio. Well, the Super Bowl is set, and of course with us is Chris Price from the Boston Globe. Chris, the only question I have is the Patriots still in it?
Speaker 1: I know what, Dan, we could actually trace that back to I think maybe it was like mid November or so when they were officially eliminated from playoffs contention. But the good news, if you want some good news, if.
Speaker 2: You're a Patriots fan, the fourth round, you have choice.
Speaker 1: They have the fourth overall pick, they have roughly one hundred million dollars under the salary cap, and they have four pick in the top eighty or so this year. So you know, this is a good year for team building if you're the pick. Put it that way.
Speaker 2: So you're telling me there's still a chance. No, we know who the super Bowl. Look, I felt so sorry for Jim Kelly the other day. Oh my god, he was almost crying. Did you see that postgame news conference?
Speaker 1: I did I did that the Bills. I'll say this, Dan, every time I've been up to Buffalo, you've probably been up there as well. That they love the builds so much. It's such a great fan base. They've they've suffered so much over the years, and for them to keep kind of banging their head on the ceiling there against the Chiefs, it looks like they're just you know, it's there's something to be said for timing when it comes to winning a championship. That if you are if you have a great team that's standing in your way, you can only do so much. I just I'd love the Bills. I love I love you know, the way that Josh Allen performed this year. It just the Chiefs remind me so much of those old Patriots teams. They just find a way to get it done. The biggest moments.
Speaker 2: Kim Kaid still could have caught that pass at.
Speaker 1: The end, Yeah, he could have.
Speaker 2: Really know, there's a lot of you know, a lot of you know luck. It was a little bit, it was a little bit behind him and all that, But if you pulled that in then it would have been maybe a different I think they have to go find Mark Levy Levy and bring him back as coach. I forget that these guys lost four super Bowls, yeah in the early nineties. I mean they would have.
Speaker 1: Not just not just for Super Bowls. I mean there are other teams that have lost, but like the Broncos have lost, for the Vikings have lost war Row just it's it's next level kind of stuff, it really is.
Speaker 2: And now they've lost Kansas City really three in a row. I mean, I mean when you think about it, I mean they had they had a chance this year that they lost last year in Buffalo. I guess this is only the second time they've lost directly to Kansas City. But yeah, so so now we look at the Eagles. I kind of like the Eagles. What's your thought on this game?
Speaker 1: I I do. I I love the Eagles, And you know, you want some irony here that New England fans are rooting for the Philadelphia Eagles, as you know after what happened a few years ago in the Super Bowl, that the Eagles are the team that stands in the way of the Chiefs and pulling off a three piecher. But yeah, I love the Eagles. They're a smart, tough, physical team. Taekwon Barkley has had a dynamite year. You know, Jalen Hurts is playing great. Their offensive line is a bunch of maulers. If there's a team that can get it done. The big secret here, really, Dan, when you come right down to it, the best way to beat the Chiefs is to keep Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelcey in that offense. Also feel as long as possible. So if I'm the Eagles, I want to just grind them down. I want to put together some seven eight nine minute drives. I want to control the game. I want to control the Temple, and I want to keep Patrick Mahomes on the sidelines as long as I can.
Speaker 2: You got you got the you got the running back that can do it. Many is unbelievable. I forgot that he when he broke in with the Giants, Joe Judge was there. IM. Joe's a great guy. I don't know if you know Judge or.
Speaker 1: Not, but Joe a little bit, yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 2: Great guy and hasts a young and a young guy. He's got to get another shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, It's going to be interesting to see how much baggage he's going to carry into whatever next job that he might have. I was a little bit surprised, honestly that Bill Belichick didn't take him down to North Carolina with him. You know, he still may find his way down to to the ECC to be to be an assistant coach under Bill. But but yeah, he's he's gonna he's gonna get a job somewhere in the National Football League sooner red later.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I was kind of surprised that maybe Vrabel wasn't going to bring him back to New England because I think that, uh my understanding is that Belichick had the job in Atlanta. It was a done deal and that that he was going to get the band back together in Atlanta. No serious and Blank went into the hospital for some surgery, and at that point the GM decided to go in a different direction. You know that.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, they were in reverse on you there. They were in re reverse on you there. I will say this that the one thing when you look at Mike, Rables and Ustaff here in New England, you can kind of draw most of them, not all of them quite yet, but there was a previous working relationship there with all of that, whether it's even as a you know, as a player and a coach. Between Josh McDaniels and him, he's plucked a lot of guys that he used to work with in Tennessee. And I don't think, off the top of my head, I don't think he had a previous relationship with Joe Judge, so maybe that kind of disqualified him there. But yeah, I'd like, I don't want to go off on another team gent here, but I really like the staff that Rabel is assembling here in New England. I think it's a bit of a one to eighty from what we saw last year. Where there were a lot of relatively younger coaches this year. Moving forward, there's a lot of there's a lot of experience on that coaching staff. It's going to be interesting how that manifests itself over the course of the year.
Speaker 2: Did Belichick's second son stay with the Patriots or I know the first guy went out to Washington and now he's going to be with the dad down at UNC. What about the second.
Speaker 1: Guy who was Yet the other son is leaving as well, it was revealed today. So there will be no more Belichicks in Foxboro. We don't know yet, although I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up in North Carolina.
Speaker 2: That would not stun me, that is for sure. Okay, so what's the spread on this game? I'm assuming the Chiefs will come out as the favorite. The betting favorite right now.
Speaker 1: Philadelphia is a narrow The last time I checked, I'll say this this afternoon, the early line was Philadelphia, I think by two or three. It was very It's very very narrow. So I think part of it, though, Dan, is that the Chiefs have played so many close games this year. They played I think they played more one score games than anyone else in the NFL. So look, either way, one way or another, it's gonna come down. This is gonna come down to a one score game regardless. And so I I you know what, I'll say this, I've lost a lot of money over the years betting against the Chiefs. One of those things. You know, what does the heart say?
Speaker 2: Theoretical money. I know that you're not actually betting cash American dollars, but it's figurative theoretical money. I know what you mean. I know what you mean exactly 's hurt? Its knee? What's what's the line on that that that's gotta be?
Speaker 1: He's yeah, he's he's as far as we know right now, he's okay. What are the big questions really for me? Is going to be that offensive line. If they're healthy, like we said before, they're ballers. It's a great offensive line. But that center position. Jurgen does a little bit banged up. He had a back thing, Dickerson has had some health issues as well. If they're healthy, they should be okay. But if they're not healthy, hey, as we all know, or a good offensive line can make a bad quarterback good and a good quarterback great. I think that's what the Eagles are counting on come Sunday.
Speaker 2: I'll say I think it'd be good. Hopefully it's going to be a good game, simple as that old line NFL team against you know, a great club. And everyone in New England needs to be rooting for Philadelphia on this one because I'm also rooting against Taylor Swift. I'm tired of Taylor Swift. I don't know about you, but I've seen enough of Taylor Swift.
Speaker 1: Well, there's also too I think, Dan, you know, you get right down to it. I think that I don't want to see Philadelphi and boss to their sister cities. But you can understand that there's the same level of East Coast sporting fanaticism, yeah, that Boston shares with Philadelphia. It's the same kind of vibe, the same kind of energy when you go to an Eagles game or a Phillies game. But I'm not just saying that because my sister in law is an Eagles fan passion.
Speaker 2: I al wish that the mayor of Philadelphia knew how to spell the name of the Eagles. Did you see that video?
Speaker 1: Have you seen that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, hey, that's always so I so enjoy our conversations, Chris, I know we veer off the half a little bit, but we brought it back to the end, and uh, we'll see what happens. Maybe we can talk once right before the game and we can we can put a little side bet on a cup of coffee or something like that.
Speaker 1: But I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be the Eagles no matter who I bet on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm right, I'm right there with you, my friend. I look forward to it.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Chris, Talk soon, Okay, take care. When we get back, we're going to talk about a federal investigation into sanctuary cities, including one that most of you are familiar with, Boston, Massachusetts. Back on Nightside, right after the nine o'clock news,