Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are.
Speaker 1: Get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 2: The kids are playing or tail off. The cultures are screwing it up.
Speaker 3: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 2: All right, let's get the party started. Shall we welcome in game day edition Coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Again, it is Coffee and Company, Nick Coffee with you Austin Montgomery, mister travel chief alongside today. Yes, you're trying to get used to that. I mean, it shouldn't be something you have to get used to. That's who you are, brother. I mean, that's stop it. I don't even know what it means, but I know that you have a look in your eye when I say it that I think you like it. I do, so, the head of the table, did you orchestrate the prank last week to get this nickname in motion. I don't think you did, but like it would have been a good idea, but I wish I would have thought of it first. It would have worked, yes, And we still don't know who who it was. However, we didn't get any calls yesterday, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no, And I'm I'm wondering if if whoever listened, if they found out that we called them out, if they keep going for it, or if they just stopped, I'd be glad if it's stopped, that they kept going, you're kind of pushing their luck.
Speaker 2: It was rather harmless, yes, but again, like you know, consider the fact that you're wasting someone's time and more than anything. And somebody brought this up to me over the weekend. I was at at my nephew's birthday party and they were talking about the whole skin you know, the pranksters that were going online. I supposed to different car dealership in Louisville and putting in the name of our hotline to call into the show, saying that we were interested in buying cars. And they brought up that they used to work as as as someone who worked in the business, and they said that when you think you've got to lead like it's a it's a high. Yeah, you you know that you that you you get a rush, and then when you find out it's somebody pranking you on a radio show, like, it's got to be demoralizing. So I hope that the person who was doing it. One, I hope they stop, but also they just realized that, you know, like harmless but probably not a nice thing to do.
Speaker 4: They got the they got the prank, the prank got over, as i'd say in wrestling, and you had the payoff.
Speaker 2: We talked about it. What more is there to want? Yeah, I mean I don't know what they overall were hoping to accomplish with it, but I would say they at least got something out of it. You got mentioned on air, and and honestly had we not. I didn't think about this, but it you know, it happened for weeks here and there. Yeah, I was genuinely concerned and until we talked about it, like they like that was probably the win for them, yes, meaning that like the people were actually calling the hotline, they probably wanted them to get on the air or something like that. But I think what it came down to was that they you know, if they stopped. I'm gonna hope it's because they realized that, you know, it's not nice to mislead somebody who might think for a little while they've got a potential sale that could help them pay their mortgage or whatever it is. But also, you know, it was working. People were calling our hotline thinking we want to buy cars. So anyways, it's the Travel Chief and myself Nick Coffee and again we are fueled by Thornton's taking you up until six o'clock. We've got we've got a game day edition the Cards in Action tonight a late one, nine o'clock against Virginia Tech. They are nine and a half point favorites. To me, it's another business as usual, right, the team that we have grown to love over the really over the entire season, but especially once they rounded into form and they realized, okay, we don't have Cason, we don't have corn Let's, you know, let's lock in with what we have to work with and let's let's try to get this thing back on track. Let's continue the revival. So the team that we've really been accustomed to for the vast majority of the season, if they show up tonight, I mean I think this is going to be a win for Louisville, and I hope it's not even close. But as I talked about yesterday, I'm going to try my best to not sweat and think like, well, man, we beat them by thirteen, should have beat them by twenty two. I mean, that would be ideal to beat teams as bad as you possibly can, because it can help you influence the metrics and whatnot. But nonetheless, if Louisville ends up winning and they don't cover, let's say they win by nine instead of nine and a half, I mean, I'm not going to really put a whole lot into it. That's going to be me just continuing to think what I think about this team. The reality is the real test for them as far as just kind of seeing, Okay, we know this team has gotten a lot better since they started playing really really good teams earlier this season, But once you get to the ACC Tournament and you face the likes of a Clemson who you already beat by the way, and you've gotten better since then, they may be able to say the same thing as well. But I would just love the opportunity to play Clemson in Duke. I mean, you got to probably beat Clemson to get to Duke. But I'm gonna enjoy the rest of these remaining regular season games because again, it's just been a really, really fun ride. All right, we are, we're loaded today, but I'd be I'd be a fool not to acknowledge how beautiful the weather is today here in Kentucky. And I thought yesterday was great. Today is even better. And I thought maybe it's tomorrow because we were looking. We gave you our weather update yesterday, right, I think Austin and I pulled up the the the forecast for the rest of the week, and for some reason was thinking that today was going to be the day where it didn't get quite as warm. But no, it's sixty agree, yeah, it is beautiful. I mean we are sixty four to sixty five is the high today, sixty two is to high tomorrow six fifty one, which again that's that's still warm compared to what we had last week. My gosh, if you would have told me that. And this is my fault, just you know, I'm accustomed to throwing on a jacket over top of my hoodie when I leave it's wintertime still. But once I got to the car. I was like, damn, it's hot. So I took my jacket off, and by the time I got to the interstate, I was still warm to where I'm not a big windows down down on the interstate. It's just too loud, So I turned my air conditioning on. If you'd have told me a week ago that I would have my air conditioning on on the way to work, I mean, I don't know if I to believe you, but man, I'm happy that that's what happened today. But I've never needed to wash my car worse than I do right now. I mean, it just looks disgusting, And you know, I oftentimes hear people say and I've thought of it myself. Anytime you see a new business being put up somewhere, you don't know what it is. You wait until they finally put a sign up, or maybe you see something posted on social media. I feel like forty percent of the time it's a car wash. They're everywhere. I think it's some kind of like money washing scheme no pun intended to where like it's just where it's where the cartel hides money or something. Because I'm thinking, like how many how many people are getting their car washed, Like how many people? I mean, you're getting your car washed every day? Like I'll be honest with you, I only go through a car wash if we have something like what's happened in the last couple of weeks where it gets the salt and the gross snowst just it's disgusting. Other than that, I never take my car through a car wash because I don't really need to. But when you you know today I don't need. You don't have to be looking for a car wash to find one either. By the way, they're everywhere, like any any area. Preston Highway, Barchtown Road, Dixie Highway, Shelbyville Road, I mean, Taylorsville Road, all the roads that you're familiar with and you know of in the Louisville, Kentucky and area. That you go two blocks, you're gonna see probably more than one car wash. And everyone that I saw today in my busy day, the lines were out to the street. I mean, everybody's getting the car washed, so I need to get it done. But I'm not gonna wait in the line. My wife she is, I mean she is. She has a brand new car, by the way, and I don't say that, so like brag, she went out and bought it, and you know, like didn't even tell me, and you know, thankfully, she's the one that's in charge of our finances and she's the one that knows if we can afford a brand new car now.
Speaker 3: But she got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we'll just go off her work. Yeah, she got a brand new car, I guess about six seven months ago. And it's very nice, but it's brand new. It's the first time she's ever had a brand new car. And I probably never will because I don't I don't think i'll need one. I will drive whatever and until it doesn't run anymore. Like quite literally, the last three vehicles that I have purchased that I've had, they were cars that, honestly, like I I didn't want to get rid of. But she was like, all right, let's get you something different, let's get you something new. Yeah, you were nicer. I'm tired of when you drive. I have to be in this piece of crab. So anyways, she's she's all about getting your car washed.
Speaker 4: So so she's the one driving if she goes out in her car. If you guys having to go out due due to like a family thing.
Speaker 2: You know, she lets me drive. Okay, okay, Now occasionally she will drive. In fact, she drives. You know, she drive. She wants to drive. And that's one of those things where like like I'll offer to drive and she'll say no. But then like if you know, but but if we are at dinner and you know, your boy put a few back and I can't drive, then she's like, well, I gotta drive, gotta drive your drunk ass everywhere. She doesn't really say that, but you know she does. She says it without saying it, if you know what I'm saying. So anyways, she on Saturday, I mean, it's the weekend and she's she waited for an hour and fifteen minutes in line to get her car washed. Wow, And I'm just thinking, like, it can't be that important dedication. I kind of feel like she did it because she like it was. It was therapeutic. She left me at home with the kids. They're all wound up, Moose just got done with this basketball game. Yeah, Maya's wondering where we're gonna go next because she needs to be entertained all throughout the weekend. And she just is like, all right, here you go I'm gonna go to the car wash. Yeah, And I'm like, did you get lost? Did you get trapped in there? Yeah? So, and look, I hate i've I've I've not done that as far as the car wash strategic move. But she's accused me, and there, you know, there may be there may be some truth to what she's accusing me of. But sometimes when I got to go to the bathroom, it didn't really take that long, if you know what I'm saying. Yeah, yeah, just to kind of get just to get some space, just to get some space.
Speaker 4: Everyone's sat. Every man is sat at home in the car for at least a solid fifteen to twenty minute period before they actually got out went back home into their woman's And.
Speaker 2: Why is that because you're so it's so right, that's so true.
Speaker 4: It's just like a decompressing, like you're really like the only time by yourself, because whether it's the situation you're at work or you're at school, you're literally on like other people's times and you're under other people's surveillance. But when you're in your car, in the confines of your car, out in front of me, time at you time, you can.
Speaker 2: Do whatever you want. You can.
Speaker 4: You always had the excuse of when someone asks, like or if she texted you, hey, where are you? I've been waiting for you. Oh I just pulled up. I'm sitting in the car for a second. Yeah, walking in, Yeah, I just got this walking in.
Speaker 2: So there guy. Thing. There are things that that you see all the time now with different memes, and that's just the power of the Internet. But I feel like that's one of those things that not many people would have talked about publicly, but everybody knows exactly. Everybody relates and gets to get gets it as far as like getting home, and it might take a few minutes before you get out of the car, you know what I'm saying, Like, it's not something that comes up, but whenever you see all that's that's so true. So anyways, I need to get I mean today I felt terrible. Uh my my daughter. She gets out of the car and when I forgot her backpack, which I had to go back home and bring it to school. But I get her out of her car seat, her booster seat, and and she's she's getting you know, she's putting her jacket on and she's moving. She she didn't like rub up against the car, but her jacket, like she probably didn't even feel it, but her jacket was against the the the backseat door. And of course it's disgusting because of the you know, the salt and all that, and she's just got this big old awful stain on her sleep. And I was able to hose her down a little bit, not really with you know, I was able to kind of get it, get it, get it off without you know, having to take it to the cleaners. But that told me that I needed to get my car washed. And then sure enough, I'm driving around today and I'm like, yeah, not gonna be able to do it, not gonna be able to Wait. Are they open twenty four hours? Some are open late. I don't know. If they're open twenty four hours, I feel like it wouldn't be worthwhile. And like a lot of them are automated, But even when you go to the automated ones, yeah, there's somebody there working.
Speaker 4: Usually, Yeah, which are usually there to like help, like either at the beginning or the end.
Speaker 2: They're really forceful too, by the way, pull up pull up neutral. Yes, the neutral is a real big kicker. They want to make sure you're a neutral, and I guess they have no way of really knowing it. And I'm assuming they're very very direct about that because they've had people that didn't do it and then it, you know, maybe mess something up. But anyways, before we trust me, we've got a lot to get into today. We'll talk about tonight's college basketball games. A lot of them. Of course, Louisville playing at nine o'clock, but a lot of team. You know, I don't want to make it a bigger deal than it needs to be, But like North Carolina now seemingly in the tournament according to Lenardi, it just if it doesn't make any sense. The more ACC teams that get in, I guess the better. But I'm not into lying to myself, Like I like to be real with myself and not live in a world of delusion. Like North Carolina being the last team to get in as an eleven seed play and if that's what happens, that's not a flex to say, well, hey, the ACC got four in, Like it's just not but Hubert Davis, I mean, I don't know if you guys saw it. It came out today, nobody knew it. I don't know why it wasn't public news, but he signed a contract extension before this season started, which not ideal for Carolina, but that's I've never felt like there was any indication they were going to make a move, and they're not clearly. But there's one thing I want to get you later that is really really rare when it comes to Hubert Davis as far as coaches that have a job like that. That kind of makes me wonder. I don't know, is is it is it worth keeping him around. We'll get to that later. Also, Rick Pattino, he's at it again, you know, Rick just saying things that nobody else would say, saying things that if another person did say it, we just laugh it off. And Rix has a lot of things that you know, never end up actually happening. However, he's got the power to say this and it become a story. It become something that people kind of dream about and think, Okay, maybe this could happen. But Patino, along with another legend coach, k Mike Krazuski, they have they have put it out there that they want a merger between the Big East in the ACC and I've never wanted something more in my life. However, the Big ACC, the Big ACC, the Big ACT. But but I just don't like it's one of those things that like, again, it's not it's really nonsense if you think about it. The ACC has a football component to their conference, and football matters more than anything when it comes to how you make money. And I just don't see why the ACC would have any benefit. Because again, if they can maybe get some more money from their network because of basketball, anything helps. But I just you know, it's just these guys saying it, Coach k and Patino, and that's probably where it'll end. But it did at least get me thinking about what it would look like. And I would love it because I still love the Big East as a basketball conference, although they're not getting near the heat that the ACC is getting as far as being down I mean right now currently as it stands in Lenardi's most recent bracketology update, four is the amount both they're getting in. And by the way, it's kind of similar when it comes to seating. You've got Duke propping up the ACC Rick and Saint John's propping up the Big East. But Saint John's is not near the seed line that Duke is. And although Louisville's got some bubble type teams. I mean, I guess the Big East doesn't, but they also don't have many like you've got Yukon looking at an eight or a nine. Marquette was rolling now they're looking at a six. So anyways, that's besides the point. But I would love it. I just don't. I just don't think it would ever actually happen because the Big East they would be wise to do this because they have nothing to really lose. They would only get more viewership. But the Big East Commissioner Val Ackerman has has made it clear that you know, she's open to it, but unraveling the media rites contracts between these two leagues because obviously ESPN is in bed with the ACC, that's the ACC network underneath the ESPN umbrella. Well, the Big East they've got Fox, NBC and T and T, so in order for them to maximize revenue, they didn't get a big, big partner to just drop a boatload of money. They mixed it around and you know, that's the best they can do financially. So one thing that nobody talks about, and I'm not really sure why anybody would just bring it up in conversation. But it matters, and if you think about it, I think you would agree that it matters. The Big East not having any representation in any way on ESPN, the four letter network, that hurts them. Now. I can't give you a specific like number or there's no data, but relevance matters out of sight, out of mind, right And look, if Yukon's rolling through college basketball, they're going to get mentioned, but like not the way A, not the way that A put it this way, Virginia, they're not the brand in college basketball that that Yukon is. I mean, Yukon, it's kind of crazy. In my lifetime, Yukon, I'm pretty sure has been the most successful program and it's not even close.
Speaker 5: Tough.
Speaker 2: They've been kind of weird, meaning that they they'll either win it all or like not get in. That's kind of how they've they've been at times. But like when it comes to what matters, titles, final fours, like they've they've been great. So you know, Yukon is a bigger brand in college hoops than Virginia. However, I feel like if Virginia was doing what Yukon did the last two seasons, Virginia would get way more attention. And I think part of that is because they are on ESPN's channels. I don't even think it's like a bias thing, but you know, out of sight, out of mind, Like Fox does a great job. I think Fox college basketball coverage is phenomenal, but it just doesn't get the same like it just doesn't get the same viewership like it. Just as much as I think ESPN could be better, they're way too woke. Disney needs to cut ties and sell them to somebody else that just prioritize, like ESPN is just a component of the Disney world, no pun intended. But if it was just its own thing, that all it, you know, you didn't have to be underneath the corporate umbrella of Disney, like I think it could be even better. So anyways, I think the Big East would be wise to take advantage of anything that could get them to where they have some games on ESPN. I mean, there's a coach that used to coach here in Louisville, they used to coach in the Big East that I talked to about it, and you know, without I mean I don't remember any exact quotes, but like he would he would be pretty honest, Like, yeah, that absolutely matters. Look, you know, whenever Chris Mack was coaching here and he beat Tom Izzo and in like his fifth career game in the Big East, I'm sorry, the ACC Big Ten Challenge. It's on ESPN Prime Time Packed House his first season of course, like he's getting interviewed by Alison Williams. I mean it's it. You know, they're leading into Sports Center probably after the game, Like, you don't get that in the Big East, and that has value. It's not gonna kill you, didn't hold you back, but man, your brand presence matters. And Fox and T and T they just don't provide what ESPN can, especially when it comes to college sports. So like if you're Sean Miller at Xavier, good job, you've already won there. They brought you back. I'm sure you're paid well. But like if Pittsburgh, where he played, by the way, if they opened up and fired Jeff Kple, I don't think he leaves Avery for Pittsburgh, But if he did, I believe that affiliation with the ACC and with that now and I look, I know the ACC is where it is. I mean, it's not a great league right now, in basketball, and they certainly need to get some new blood in there as far as coaches and get the thing turned around. But I would love it. I just don't want to talk about it enough to where I start to think like, maybe there's a chance that happens, because again, all this is is Rick Patino and Coach K just throwing stuff out there, Like remember when didn't didn't Coach K, he's the guy who threw out there that we should put every single team in the tournament. You remember that nonsense and it just yeah, and then of course you know just went away. You remember that, right, Yes, I remember back in the in the in I don't know, this is probably around like twenty eleven, twenty twelve, Rick Patino, I mean, he spoke at a press conference and said that Jay Billis should be the missioner of college basketball, just like David stern is the commissioner of the NBA, just like Roger Goodell's the commissioner of the NFL. And you know, Ri's got away with words, man, he can be real convincing. He just does his thing. As you said the other day Austin RP Theater. It's right. So I'm sitting here thinking like, you know what, that makes total sense. Ri's right, and I started thinking, like, when are they gonna hire him? And it was just Rick saying stuff. Rick says, So that's probably what this whole thing is. But I got a little excited just thinking about it. And you know, we'll see if there's any development. But I just don't know if the ACC has anything to gain by doing it. If they did have anything to gain, it would probably be again, maybe just being able to get to squeeze some more revenue because you would have better basketball matchups. But man, even the best basketball matchups in the regular season just don't mean a whole lot compared to like football. Also, Pat forty, he's got a story that we've certainly got a break down as expected, this was kind of rumored for a while, but Forty has the article over at Sports Illustrated the college Game the sports betting scandal with John tay Porter. It's widespread and it did in fact get into college basketball. We can certainly talk about that. There's another near plane crash as two Southwest plains barely missed each other. What the hell's going on? You thought I was joking last week? No, this week, this year for vacation. We're a greyhound family. Tell me where the closest greyhound station is, right, and then do we want to get into recruiting? Do we want to Austin? Because Nata Men is one of the best players in the country, And like I just I'm not as energized with a high school recruiting as much as I used to be, just because one I'm grown up now, but also like it's not as important. But it sounds like Louis has got a real chance at one of the best players in the country. And it gets me excited. So all right, quick break, We'll take a time out, keep this thing rolling along. It's coffee and Company, and we are fueled about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: It is coffee and Company, and we are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Take us with you wherever you go. You can listen live on the iHeart radiop Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. If you want to join us on the show, phone lines are now open five oh to two five seven to one seventy nine hundred A wild stat that I feel like it's a first as far as this happening, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's happened before. But we are very late into the season, really about four games left for most teams out there, and yeah, here we go. ESPN Stats and Info actually tells me when the last time this happened. This is the fourth time in the last fifty five years that half of the men's college basketball preseeedson top ten is unranked. So Kansas number one outside the top twenty five. That's for the first time in eighty A p poles. So the teams that were top ten that are now on the outside looking in Kansas, Yukon, Zaga, Baylor, and North Carolina and all those teams are still in the tournament other than Carolina at least, I you know, I guess the tournament started today. We'll never know if they'd be in or not. All we can do is guests or reference the guys who are so called experts at predicting the tournament, like Joelnardi and Jerry Palm and the others out there. So I guess they're borderline and just looking at this, this list of coaches, I mean Bill Self, I mean I have no worries about Bill self being a great coach. I mean he's proven that. I just think he's and it's on him. I'm not trying to make excuses for him. He just hasn't been able to get this group that he has that is super talented to work well together. Danny Hurley, I mean, the guy's got two national titles in two consecutive years, and I still wouldn't want to see him in March. There are some that are saying, you know, well, if he didn't have Donovan is Donovan Klingen who is the big man for him last year and he's now in the NBA right he's with the Blaze. So some are saying like he's the reason and it's not nothing to do with Hurley, which I don't believe that at all. But until like he's bad as a coach, I'm gonna still think that's he's in great shape. But man Mark Few, it's it's not it's not fair to say that like they've fallen off a cliff, because I don't know if that'll ever happen at Gonzaga one, because they he's a great coach, but also because they play in the Western whatever. But right now, I mean they are clearly the second best team in their own conference because Saint Mary's roling, Gonzaga's twenty one and eight and they are twelve and four in their league. And I think, I mean, when it comes to like quad one wins, I mean, like Gonzaga is a team that will get in safely. I mean they're eight nine, so maybe they are bubbleish, but I think the way the bubble looks right now, I have a hard time thinking that, you know that that they they won't find their way in. But my point is this, if you were ever gonna get Mark Few to leave Gonzaga, wouldn't now be the time. I mean, he's kind of done all that he's gonna do.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 2: There was a window where he was flirting with a national championship where he had two great teams. In fact, he had more than two great teams, but in the end he ended up, you know, falling short. He did make it to the championship game, lost to Baylor, and then I believe there was another year they made the final four, but I could be wrong. And then he had other teams that were phenomenal and then they just fell short like Arkansas and Musselman knocked him out the year they were loaded.
Speaker 4: So you mentioned the North Carolina too, one, right, Yeah, played North Carolina.
Speaker 2: This year in the tournament. No, No, they played Gonzaga, played in the title game Baylor, and then they played UCLA in the final four and Jalen Suggs hit that game winner a half quarter. Okay, So I'm bringing up Gonzaga because they they've earned the benefit of the debt. I think when it comes to like do they belong in the tournament because despite always playing in I guess there's a couple of different ways to look at it. Despite always playing in a week league, they still get to the tournament. And I believe after last year they have the longest They have the longest standing second weekend streak in college basketball, and I don't even think it's close. Now. Some would say, well, it's because they are good, but not good enough to get the seed that they get, so they play bum teams in round one in round two, and that's how they end up always making it to the second weekend. So again, it just depends on how you look at it. But yeah, the last time they didn't make it to at least the second weekend of the tournament was in twenty fourteen, a long time ago, and they went to the Elite eight. Let's see. Yeah, they were the national runner up. So he only actually has one final four. So my point is this, if it was gonna happen for him, I kind of feel like it already would. And he's been there since nineteen ninety nine, so he may just be there for life. But I kind of feel like, if you were gonna get like Virginia should pick up the phone and at least see what he would say, because I think I could see him fitting at Virginia. What else can he do with Gonzaga? And by the way, in the New World, they're not going to be able to compete. They don't have it. They don't have any booster money at all. Like Gonzaga, to me, is is the best example of a power program because they did become that. I mean, maybe you wouldn't say they're a power program. There's certainly not a blue blood, but for the last ten years they've been as consistently good as most. And again I guess it depends on how you look at it, right, is it? Because they play in a league that's terrible and they just take advantage of it. But I've seen enough of Gonzaga to know that they are really good. And I just feel like if your mark few like now would be the time to go, if you're ever going to go. And then Scott Drew Baylor, he turned down Kentucky, turned down Louisville, and he's underachieved. I kind of feel like with the building him a new arena and turning down Kentucky, he'll never leave, but maybe he has regrets and then he'll sell. Okay of Indiana calls I'm out of here. And then Hubert Davis. I mean we just talked about this earlier. He signed a contract extension before the season started, and you know, I don't know if that was necessary, to be honest with you, Like, there's a lot of guys who get new deals and extensions and it's absolutely unnecessary. But agents are able to leverage really what I don't I don't know what they leverage, but they scare the athletic director that if you don't give this guy a new contract and lock him down long term with a ton of money, then he's gonna leave. Sometimes you just gotta call the bluff. In fact, Joshua did that was Scott Saderfield, and it worked out. So Hubert Davis went. He was he was the runner up in twenty twenty two. Should have won that championship, by the way, would have changed a lot for him. And then the next year they didn't make the tournament, declined the NIT. Last year they made it to the sweet sixteen, and somehow that got him a new contract. This year they're a bubble team. They very much underachieved, and maybe they get in and get hot. But like if I'm a Carolina fan, like I would be rooting for Carolina to obviously to and you want him to maybe get hot and go on a run, But like, do you believe that he's he's the guy. He's not terrible, although I don't know, when you're Carolina and you're flirting with the tournament, you might not make it. And you've already missed it one year in his four years. I mean again, we're talking about North Carolina. But let me tell you what makes Hubert Davis very rare as far as a guy that is coaching at one of the best jobs in the sport. There's three jobs I think that are the best in the college basketball world, and I don't think there's Honestly, I don't think there's a close fourth, in no particular order, because I think you can honestly make a case that each of these are the best job. But I think Kentucky's the best job. Pays me to say, but it's the truth. Carolina and Kansas, like, those are the best three jobs, and I don't think there's really As I mentioned, I don't think there's a close fourth. So what makes him rare is not just the fact that you know, he's a former player that is coaching at one of these great jobs, but he's cheap Hubert Davis when he I mean, like, this is what's crazy. His previous contract that he signed in twenty twenty two to take over the program, and that contract ran through twenty twenty eight. He made four hundred thousand dollars in base pay to coach North Carolina. I mean, they always want to keep it in the family at Carolina. But man, that that's a reason as to why you might consider, all right, this guy's not terrible, but maybe we just use all the money to go get players now, because that's what came out today, is that he's got to that he signed a new contract and his base salary is going to be one point is one point two five million, and honestly, like that's still really cheap to coach North Carolina. Let's be real, and he didn't need the money. Guy's an NBA legend. I mean not maybe that's a stretch, but like, he's one of the best shooters I watched as a kid in the NBA. He played in the NBA for over ten years and you know, was a good player. He wasn't a legend. That was a stretch, but he made a lot of money in the NBA, made a lot of money as an assistant, probably made a lot of money at ESPN when he worked there. So like, he's not doing this for money, and he knows that if he succeeds at Carolina, he'll be taken care of. So they're hiring a GM, and I wouldn't be shocked at that GM's making similar money as Hubert Davis. Maybe I'm wrong there, but anyways, I think their play here is that, look, we got this guy pretty cheap. He's already taken us to a championship game. Hasn't really done a lot since then to make us feel like he's the guy for Carolina. But he's one of our own, he'll never leave us, and he's cheap. We can use all other moneies to go get players, because I think Carolina in Kentucky have the same mindset, or at least did. Like Kentucky has an al resources they're going to pay. But Mark Pope's been pretty public that he's going to really emphasize, Look, you're gonna be lucky to play here. You're gonna be taken care of financially. But like, it can't just be about the money, because it's a privilege to play Kentucky and there aren't many programs, if anything, can really sell because money matters. But I think Carolina tried to do that and it's not working. So now to give Davis another another I mean I was gonna say another year, but he's under contract for a while. They're gonna get the GM to where they got. They're gonna put all the money they're not paying their basketball coach that they probably could be paying and go buy players and see if it works. And it might. And also with Hubert making such a little amount of money compared to other jobs like that, I'm curious what the buyout is because that makes you know, you can give him that new contract making you know, one point whatever million a year, but his with that, with that amount of money, I would imagine the buyout would not be crazy. And that's really what it all comes down to the contracts. When it comes to coaches, it's all about the buyout. Like if the buyouts not crazy, then you know whatever, Yeah, we'll keep paying you that if you keep winning. If not, we'll cut ties and eat the eat the buyout is. If it's not you know, something that's going to be detrimental to us, like Louisville right now financially is hurting because of these buyouts they gave coaches. So anyways, let's go to the phone line before we get to our next break. Five O two the number if you guys would like to give us a call. We've got some lines open, but let's get it started with Jerry. Jerry, you're on Sports Talk seven ninety. What's happening many Nick?
Speaker 5: I read the forty article. I really don't want to talk a whole lot about it because I'm not a big gambling guy. But it's a hell of an article. Man, it really opened your eyes. Sure talking about coaches. Uh, the rumors about Jay Lucas going to Miami makes me sick as an ACC guy. And and yeah, I know it'll make it tougher on us if they have a great coach at Virginia at Miami. But but the conference needs it, right, no doubt, And and and and to hire j Lucas as a Kenny Payne move in my opinion, because here's the deal. I've looked at the SEC. You know, the SEC is hot right now. All sixteen of their coaches had previous head coaching experience at the Division IE level, all of them. Okay, so they went and robbed and pillaged other programs to make their conference better, and that in the ACC to do that, they can't do anything but that. To hire J Lucas huge mistake in my opinion. Miami should get Will Wade. Okay, your little comment about Mark Pope, I didn't. I didn't. I didn't aim to talk about him. But it's easy to say I'm not gonna pay him as much blah blah blah. But but here's the deal. Say he doesn't make the Sweet sixteen in year two or three, and he's getting flamed out in the first couple of games. He'll change his team real quick. That won't stick. You know, it's all about the money. Come on, Who were kidding here?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: Okay? One more thing you talking about Sean Miller five years ago and and I'm dating myself again, but years ago with the Derby Classic, they just have a thing on Saturday mornings and they would do two on two contests with the players dunking contest. I don't even think they were doing three point shooting contest back then, but I once watched a two on two contest that was like ten. They went to ten or twelve by four, went to seventy six to seventy two. Had had a guy from UCLA named Brad Holland also had a guy from Alabama named Reginald King that was a hell of a player. Joe Dean nicknamed him the Mule, okay.
Speaker 3: And he was.
Speaker 5: He was a hell of a player. And that was that was a But anyway, one Saturday morning I went out there and there was probably you know, six thousand people there and and they brought this little kid out to center court. To do this dribbling exhibition, and my dad usually went with me. He couldn't go this Saturday. And when I got home, I told him, I said, I can't. I hate it that you missed it, because I said, I watched the most incredible dribbling exhibition I've ever witnessed. And I had seen Joe rivals of junior pros and and all these other things that they had around town. But anyway, that guy, that kid was Sean Miller. Okay, and Sean Miller did that dribbling exhibition. He was probably six or eight years old. Unbelievable. But did you know or have you ever seen the clip on you of him on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.
Speaker 2: No, I knew of him as a player. I had no clue he was this prodigy as a kid. That was, you know, this wiz kid. I'm looking at it now, actually not the clip you're talking about. But yeah, I knew he came from a basketball family and obviously was a good player himself.
Speaker 5: Yes, but that was incredible. I mean, the most unbelievable dribbling exhibition ever I ever witnessed. And I've seen a lot of basketball. Okay, one more thing. I got a quick question for you. Uh, buddy of mine was talking today. I'm curious about these guys and I don't know if you will have a clue to answer this question. Take a guy like Tom Crean, what's Tom Crean? Do you think? What do you think he makes at ESPN and some of those other talking heads. Do you have any any idea the range of pay those guys make.
Speaker 2: I would say this. I wouldn't be good at guessing the actual number, but I would be willing to bet that it's less than most people would believe. You know, those are contract positions. Put it this way. With Crean specifically, he may he is such a little investment to ESPN that they allow him to work on other networks. He called a game the other night with John Fanta. I believe on T and T or might have been Peacock. So you know, these guys are really like Freeland. You know, unless you're one of the big name guys that works free ESPN, that's you know, that's calling the games and whatnot. You're you know, you're you're making a living. It's a dream job. But I think a lot of people see guys on TV or even on the radio for the national networks, and think, man, they must be making big bucks. And again they're probably not going without, but they probably don't make the same amount of And in fact, I would be willing to bet Tom Crean he probably gets paid per gig, if that makes sense, not necessarily just a base pay, which I'm sure the per gig is is a decent is a decent amount of money, but you know, probably no insurance that kind of stuff, so uh, it's worthwhile. But I would just tell you that it's probably less money than a lot of people would expect.
Speaker 5: I got you all. Hey, big game to night, Yes, game's a big game.
Speaker 2: Go that's right, Thanks Jerry, appreciate you, my man. All right, let's get to a quick break. We'll come back here on the other side and keep the party rolling along. It's coffee and company fuel BYU Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: We'll get back to more of your phone calls coming up here in the four o'clock hour. Five two, five, seven, one seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to join us here. It's coffee and company fueled by Thornton's. I'm also fueled by the fine folks at the Louisville Men's Clinic because doctor Wood very very happy. I met doctor Wood last year as I finally just decided, you know what, maybe I should maybe I should get this checked out, maybe I should at least, you know, inquire. And I remember going there thinking this is probably gonna be a big waste of time, but we shall see. But I had heard a lot of the a lot of the buzz about what the Little Men's Clinic can do for a lot of folks, and obviously they're a partner with us here at iHeart. And I'd never had once given any thought about low tee. I'm an idiot. I think I proved that maybe every day from time to time on the show. But I just assumed that low T and ED were the same thing. I did. I mean, maybe you guys aren't that stupid, but I don't know. Maybe I'm not alone, but I always thought low T was lowercase T. It's testosterone, brother, that's right. I mean again, like you just if it's not you, and if you are someone that's never really gone out of your way to be interested in what it means or figure it out like you really would have no way of knowing. But I can tell you it made a lot of sense to me when I started to one hear about certain side effects that low testosterone can have, and then I thought, Okay, you know they are saying their marketing messaging is making it clear that you don't have to be an old geezer. You can be somebody around my agor younger and potentially have testosterone levels that are not where they need to be. And then it all made sense. For years, I was suffering with low T and didn't know it, and that's why I was mindful of my diet. And I hate even using the word diet, but you know, I just made sure I wasn't eating like a pig every day. And I exercised, not even because I'm trying to look like, you know, some bodybuilder, but because really I like running. I'm weird like that. I enjoy running. It's good for my mental health. I like to get a few miles in a few times a week. And yeah, I wasn't like I was getting excess belly fat man boobs, and I'm like what's going on here. So finally I was like, well, maybe that's what it is. So I went and saw doctor Wood. He explained it to me, educated me on just how common it is for somebody my age to feel lethargic, to wanna, you know, want to go to bed after dinner at times because you're just tired and you really didn't do anything specific that would make you exhausted. So there's a lot even mental health, I mean, that's a factor as well. So go check them out Lobamen's Clinic dot com. I'm sure there's many of you listening right now that are thinking, yeah, you know what, I don't know if it's low tee, but I'm not in my forty JET or I'm not in my fifties JET, and yet I'm having those same kind of things Nick's talking about. So never hurts to at least go check them out. And it's not just it's not just the testos her own treatment that they can help you with. I mean there's a variety of things they can help you with. Fellas ED. They've got different options when it comes to treating that Broni's disease, weight loss therapy, hair restoration, the list goes on and on. It's Louisville Men's Clinic dot com. That's the website. FABO two four four four four thousand is the number. If you want to give them a call, tell them I sent you. And again, I have a feeling that they'll be able to get you feeling better. And who doesn't want to feel better? Even if you're feeling good, imagine feeling better than you are right now? All right, we got two hours, love to stick around. We'll continue to get you said for tonight's game. It's a late one nine o'clock tip Louisville and Virginia Tech. There is somewhat of a storyline here that I wasn't familiar. We'll talk about that next, and a lot of other things as we won't as we move along here. It's coffee and company feel. But Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety