Speaker 1: Hello, this is producer Amy. You're hearing my voice not because anything terrible has happened, but because we have something a little bit different for you this week. What's going to follow this very short introduction is Richard Nigus speaking to his mum about growing up in rural Suffolk, particularly on the coast in Southwold, and talking about how things have changed, the surrounding villages have changed, and just I suppose giving us a glimpse of the past and what life was like. It was quite thought provoking for me when I listened to it, and I really hope that you enjoy it too.
Speaker 2: I suppose the most obvious question is being born bred in sag Or, what's your first memory of the town, first memory of it when you was thing that struck you that you realize that you lived in that place. First of all, memories are about your home, aren't they. I was born in a two up, two down blue outside, but all all these sort of shops and things were locally owned by people who lived work. They didn't earn huge amounts of money because there were so many of them.
Speaker 3: My first member. One of my first memories would probably be going across the road to the corner shop two ice sweetie. But my first memories really was a rationing because I can't remember buying sweeties when I was a little girled I had you had points for sweets and things like that. And one of my first memories was moving from of High Street to Hobson Road, where I then lived until I got married.
Speaker 2: So that thing when Granddad decided that you were going to move from High Street. I seem to remember you once telling me a story that someone offered to loan in the money to buy it.
Speaker 3: I know it was to buy at when the houses were being built in Peer Avenue, you know those semi detached ones. A friend of his I had a bit of money, I suppose said that he would loan in the mone eater buy My Dad wouldn't except because I mean, I suppose, still thinking to himself that he'd been wounded in the First World War, he still had a piece of trapanel in his head that he could go at any time, and he wouldn't want to leave I could. I think this is how it must have been. So we moved to accounts and run house and we had electricity for the first time, and I.
Speaker 4: Can remember how happy My mom was that.
Speaker 3: Gordon brought her an electric iron, I think for her Christmas because he thought that would do his shirts but.
Speaker 4: Be something to do with him as well. Yes, So how many people do you reckon that were of you know, your peer group.
Speaker 3: That were most houses rented or were they owned by I think I think that most. I think that probably the most stuff were rented. I wouldn't really know, as some of my friends their parents owned their houses, but the great majority of them I think probably rented either from private because of where I was born was privately rented, and then we moved to a council house. I mean, but all the houses were full of people. They weren't like they are now where they're holiday lets and things, and the majority of them we had loads of different I mean we had about three or four butchers in the house, hag and things like that. And after I mean when I went to school.
Speaker 4: That's because of the war, the.
Speaker 3: Local school was closed down because a lot of the children were evacuated. But when they came back and the fishing, there was one piece of the beach that wasn't.
Speaker 4: Sort of.
Speaker 3: Cut off with sort of those steel things that they put in just when they thought there was one totage, so the only part was right to the south of the pier, a pavilion you know, where they had their boats and they used to wind them up onto the beach when they'd been off fishing because they couldn't use I don't think they could uce the harbor. From what I can remember, I think it was.
Speaker 4: It was silted up. I believe the.
Speaker 3: Black show was like because they do have.
Speaker 4: To m m.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So there wasn't as much. I mean, so all those houses were full, and so it wasn't just filled with fisher then.
Speaker 3: No, there was people who were it were just people who worked in the shops. No sort of people. People who had their businesses lived in the town. People didn't come from I mean they was suppose from Raid and perhaps they did because there were buses. There were buses that ran to Hilesworth.
Speaker 4: And lowest On. They used to go about, well the ones, the last a few too, by every hour.
Speaker 2: So most people though, who were around you though, were in businesses that kept the town going.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, I mean we had our own gas company, we had our own electricity company, you know, and.
Speaker 5: The water.
Speaker 3: Where the word was from, I mean the cinema was run privately. We had a cinema that changed its We had the same film Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and then now on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and sort of like when I was a teenager, the pier with amusements at the top, but on a Saturday there was the dance hall like that west through the war as well. That was because that's where people used to.
Speaker 2: So things like now the brewery was that not as big a deal back then when you were younger.
Speaker 3: Well, yes they did, but they didn't sort of. I mean it's grown since there was. They did most of it in the one building now, so yeah, it grew a lot after or gradually, especially I think when John Adams from his father, because his father I think was more interested in the you know, because they were auctioneers and all that, and I think I think his father was more interested in that.
Speaker 2: But it was a family done thing and so there wasn't what you'd say, there one big employer.
Speaker 4: There was. They were spread across the board.
Speaker 3: Yes, there was more employment from different things. Yeah, the brewery was supposed quite but there was two capital the Biggish builders what we call builders.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean everything was in.
Speaker 3: Relatively small areas, weren't they because people didn't travelize and patch then.
Speaker 2: And you so like you said, okay, so you say you didn't travel that much. I seem to remember you telling me once that you went to the Festival of Britain. Yeah, then went Wales Tall and you went to Wales one.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, these were trips with the with the school and so.
Speaker 2: But until you got married, had you been out of Southwold much at all?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: I used to go to stay with my relations in Oh yeah, sorry. And I also had been up and visited called and Betty went up and stayed with them for a few you know, for a week's holiday.
Speaker 4: What they were in Corb? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I suppose so were they call a master? And I suppose I can't remember.
Speaker 4: I know we went.
Speaker 3: And stayed with them, but I can't remember too much. I remember going shopping.
Speaker 2: But would it mean something that you know how the town worked?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Would it be?
Speaker 2: Was it less common then that you would have people leave and go and work a long way away or do that? Was it usually a thing that you stuck around the local?
Speaker 4: I suppose it was.
Speaker 3: Some people would go to lower stuff because there was a lot of employment.
Speaker 4: There was a I mean.
Speaker 3: There was in south well, there was the Four Ducks Mills, if you've talked about that sort of like form things. That's now you know where the Four Ducks Nows were now just off the High Street and field of Style Road. Yeah, well, now there's a block of flat Surrey, you know. Well that was the Four Ducks Mills where they made Slumberland bactresses. And there was the home in it which was down where the telephone exchange place down on the corner of.
Speaker 4: Station row Alpier Avenue rather. Yeah, so you know there was that.
Speaker 3: They were the main employers, the home knit for women, but other ones sort of later on, sort of as and I always leaving school in lower stuff. There was the pie f which not even you know, making them radios and stuff from television. So I suppose they employed quite a lot of people. Oh there was that place that make caravans, wasn't there past They used to make buses, buses, I mean, and some of the boys used to go and work on the trailers and things like that, so.
Speaker 2: There was less need to go way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was more employment, so, I mean I don't remember many of my compatriots. They used to one until the boys were called up into the forces, you know, to do their national service. They sort of perhaps then got a someone stayed in the forces. But there wasn't the need to have to move. I mean perhaps there were for people who had more education. It wasn't usual for people to go to UNI.
Speaker 4: No no, no, I mean if you went to.
Speaker 3: What my teacher wanted me to do, but I think be en office worker or anything.
Speaker 4: So I.
Speaker 3: But people took what was going the town really, so it was always there was always work in the hotels and things, because there was a lot more hotels then.
Speaker 4: And so tourism.
Speaker 2: So tourism was still quite a bit thing when you remember, yes, but it was much more just sort of the three summer.
Speaker 3: Months, and people had them staying in their houses. There were houses that had been built by people of why, sort of like home my mom and dad met. Yes, it was the family had built. They built those houses along you know the green where the children play for your style road. And he kept the biggest one, which was over the arch, and for his own use or his family shoes, and he had some of the rest. So the others were privately owned. I don't know if he sold them straight away, but they obviously were when I knew about it, and there were garages. There were two or three garages. People didn't have to leave the tank have anything done. There were two or three filling stations.
Speaker 4: Much more self sufficient.
Speaker 3: It was self sufficient. That's the biggest difference. Now they have to rely on incomes the only sort. There's only really one big employer, and that's the that's still the brewery.
Speaker 4: That's the brewery. Yes, then build us.
Speaker 3: There's the because people when they have to keep the houses up together, don't make the old houses.
Speaker 2: The idea then of when you remember the c Santord was always a touristy place, but they were largely either staying in hotels because there were more then, or there.
Speaker 4: Were people had live in their houses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I bed and breakfast type things, guest cases houses.
Speaker 4: Right, So you moved.
Speaker 2: Away when you were nineteen, Yes, that'd be nineteen fifty. What was that fifty six? So name obviously you kept going back because all your family were there. Yeah, when did you actually first go? Things are changing because the thing that I remember making big news in the town was when Frannie said that I think it was Kevin was driving an Adams lorry to London and they were delivering theer to London, frown stuff right.
Speaker 3: To where there was depots where when I you know, they went to I don't know quite what. I think they went to where people sort of had all different types of beer. And then he was the one who had the first big sort of like both ARTI but those.
Speaker 2: So when did you first start notice it things had changed from what you remembered of that self sufficient sort of town where I guess it was run by the people of the town rather than incomers coming in as I perceived it there. When did you first start noticing that change?
Speaker 4: Would you think? Well? I think when.
Speaker 3: Put a date on it, I mean things did gradually changed. Things gradually changed. I mean they would change and when.
Speaker 4: You know, by the.
Speaker 3: Time really, but I suppose it was when people started to be able to have holidays. I suppose people got a bit better off really after the war and things began to improve the whole time, gradually, very gradually. But you know, you would go and there'd be shops that had closed houses didn't have families living in them. They were and it was a gradual process because when we first and also things kept being built on or enlarged. A lot of that sort of thing happened.
Speaker 2: Do you think the prosperity that started grow affected the.
Speaker 3: The the ease with I mean more people start to get cars and things, and so you weren't relying on the the two buses really only you know the busses that just went to lure.
Speaker 4: Stuff and Halesworth.
Speaker 3: I mean, and people started to sell there if when they inherited these little cottages, they start to sell them because they wanted to have something more up to date, I think.
Speaker 2: So that so that is it's all those cute little cottages that you see about us.
Speaker 4: They were thought I was bloody pokey lit the whole dark things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know people when they bought them then, I mean the local people really to blame if you went back club, but I mean some of them perhaps were finding work in lower stuff and so they perhaps up huf and can buy a much more modern house for about the same priceis what those stupid people.
Speaker 4: From the Phantoin area way for this whole place.
Speaker 6: And then the builders did all right because they would be updating.
Speaker 2: Them, you know, so I suppose I mean, did do you think that when the fishing really started to go.
Speaker 4: Was that.
Speaker 2: Was that an impact on Southwold or was that more of a thing that that killed most of them than.
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 4: I suppose it had a bigger impact on lower Stuff than Southwold in a way, because we were only sort of like the offshore once, you know what I mean. Although there were quite a.
Speaker 3: Few once the pit, once they could get back down the harbor, they were quite few people who fished most of the year and the rest of gad and painting and stuff like that, you know, but Lower Staff did get really so how.
Speaker 5: Do I mean that's what it was.
Speaker 2: One of the things that sticks in my mind is that every time you talk about loads of you go.
Speaker 4: Was the ploorol?
Speaker 2: So you saw that decay, So you saw it. Why do you think Southwark didn't go the way that loast of it?
Speaker 3: I think because it was smaller and Cooper Coot prettier, prettier, So it's prettiness helped it, Yes, I think so. I mean, and they had the lovely common that was on the doorstep for people to go walking. I mean, it was an ideal place to grow up in my day when there wasn't much traffic about things like that. Really you don't appreciate it at the times match, but we had everything that we needed tennis courts.
Speaker 2: Do you think so, I mean to say, loast of Us is still depressed horrible.
Speaker 4: Also, I don't really know much about Lowest Well, it's still a poor old place. It is it would need. I mean, it's got a lovely seafront, beautiful.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but you know it was always sort of well when there was a lot of different.
Speaker 4: Dad could probably remember more of some of the.
Speaker 3: Industry that was there. It wasn't just one induship. Weren't just the farming, but it was labor who decided to have when they nationalized things that they eastern counties bust things or went up to Lalen the summer.
Speaker 2: You know, because they centralize the making of that. So there, yeah, okay, so do you think then?
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean there was a boat boat, so you do boat building and all sorts.
Speaker 2: Because one of the things I look at is that I see the difference between Southward and moast of and but I also look at Southward Mana from my memories of it, of like from the late eighties, early the late seventies, early eighties is a little boy is It's always somewhere that I think was still owned by wolves run by. There was a you had visitors going there, and the visitors were coming at the behest and the say so and at the invitation of people who lived in South Ork. Now it seems to be that basically it's a place that has got no local heart to it anymore, and it's full of this and they're almost looking at as a museum. There's no one actually there who they're saying.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: There just seems to be a complete change in the ethos of it.
Speaker 4: But there are people in employment.
Speaker 2: It's still pretty, it's not depressed, there's no crime, there's still you know, you go out the holiday season, it's still a beautiful place and can be quite quiet and peaceful, and the beaches are still lovely. And then you go a few miles up the road to loast Of and it's a bloody hellhole. So is it losing its character and that nature that you remember it of as a self sufficient, quiet place. Was that a price you think worth paying losing that to at least retain it as a pretty place.
Speaker 4: Do you think it's worth the loss of that.
Speaker 3: That's difficult for me to say, because I go and enjoy there, and when we lived there, you know, when we retired, it was still it was all the things that I went back.
Speaker 4: For was still they were still there.
Speaker 3: Because you know, I went to enjoyed the beach and nice walks. But there were hardly anybody of my youth who actually lived and worked. There's very few. I mean there was Joan and Ron. There was one or two, but they their children, I mean Genn didn't have children. But the ones who did, most of their children.
Speaker 4: I have moved to by.
Speaker 3: There was a lot my age group that moved away to get work sort of later on, I mean like we did because when Dad and I was planning on getting married, was working in lower stuff and well they were putting in the sewerage and that they've done the water to put the water moons out of all the villagers, and he was they were then sort of doing the sewer chess. But then it was a time of boom and bust, as they sort of talk about, and then they decided, oh they couldn't afford to lay out anymore. You know, that was a government brands and stuff, and suddenly he was out of a job and that was why we moved, and we've always moved about where he could get work. That's not as easy now though, because there's not so many places that you can, you know, working people can afford to rent and stuff. So I suppose one.
Speaker 2: Of the biggest changes, if you actually look at it, is that it's lost its industries. So there isn't other than Adams. The only other industry in Southwold is really tourism.
Speaker 3: And bill and servicing tourism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I mean I would have said the building is a servicing of the tourist trade because all them houses that they're converting and fiddling about with, they're either for people who have bought them for second homes or they're actually adding their bedrooms because they want to fit as many people as they can because it sleeps six. Yeah, you can charge more than if it sleeps four. Yes, so the builders even.
Speaker 4: Doing the servicing tourists. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: But you always have the tourist industry, but they used to be slightly I suppose pass The way that just tourism runs is that you either went to a hotel if you had quite a bit of money, if you had less money, you went into.
Speaker 4: A guest house.
Speaker 3: He went into a guest house. Yes, quite. I mean, going right back to when I was a child, people used to move out of their bedroom and some.
Speaker 4: Of them lifting their sheds or slept in their shed.
Speaker 7: But you have to remember that it was probably only from you know, when the schools were on holiday, or from June to say June to sort of the end of August. We didn't I mean, there was when you had just a bank holiday with hands.
Speaker 4: Really, I suppose.
Speaker 3: People didn't expect to have en suite. They didn't. There wasn't the same expectation of people. So I mean, I don't know people would go and stay in a house with people. They didn't know that.
Speaker 4: But they but people did. That was somewhere where they thought, well they could go to the season.
Speaker 3: That was before people went abroad for hot exactly cheap package holidays changed things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I mean do you think really then Southwold still employs a lot of people. The only real major change is there aren't people like your father who sort of will rule the roost slightly in again, because they were not only forceful characters, but they had a pedigree dating back of being there.
Speaker 4: They were a part of this as much.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's are still people, aren't that some, Yeah, but not many do they. They don't seem to have the big families that were used to.
Speaker 2: No true, And I suppose as well is because sometimes strength in numbers and it's used to local people, but you don't have generations of family. You know, when we used to go back there on holiday, we used to go and think, well, we can go and see about five or six family members by just walking down the road from one to the next.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and generations.
Speaker 2: You'd see three generations in one day because you would see you know, Nana. You then go and see Uncle Herbert and Uncle Fran, and then you'd go and see Stephen or John or Morris because they were playing football on the common and swear at them. And then you might go and by pass Kevin, and then you'd see missus Tolly and all these various people who were all you know, your family members. And I suppose that's one of the things is that although there are still locals there, there aren't that generational family staying within the town because they sold up.
Speaker 3: Yeah cash well, of course they didn't all live in the south Old or Raid and you're talking about mainly I mean missus Tolly until her you know, because she is wins. Yeah, she won't really my relations showers. Yeah, I mean until so very very late in her life she didn't live in South Thought. She just used to come and stay and see when and that. And then when her sister came back from South Africa or from Sierra Lene rather when her husband retired and they bought a place swill and oh yeah, she she went and lived with them because she her husband died.
Speaker 7: So what.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think the biggest difference in the town is that now there's very few what I call local run shops.
Speaker 4: There's so many change changes.
Speaker 3: I mean there were change because there was the International studs and but I mean where the co op is where used to be where the tesco is now And the biggest sort of where groceries was Denny and Joan Okay, yeah, which is the one on the corner of Church Street and Street there where the coverup is.
Speaker 2: So I suppose really the long and the short of it is that the way that Southwold has survived it has changed because like you say, there's lots of change.
Speaker 4: It is tourism that's sort of saved.
Speaker 2: That's either saved it and changed it. So it's it's and also the fact that it is pretty and that prettiness has been recognized for donkeys years because of the hell they visitors have been going.
Speaker 4: Then is why they.
Speaker 3: Built sort of the big hotels like that which is no longer the Grand hot.
Speaker 2: Grows and had posh houses on you know, Gum Hill and all that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were tourists at the end of the day. They weren't local people.
Speaker 7: They were.
Speaker 4: They were they they lived there. They did live there, Okay, most of them did.
Speaker 3: I mean the husbands might travel to London for some of the things or something, but or else and some of them owned there different things. I mean mister Adams, Arthur and mother they had lived on that big house and.
Speaker 4: I'm on so green there he did.
Speaker 3: Now his son were sold because when he died, I suppose his son and daughter either Rob would have a want to live because there were some big old places. Unless you've got family, they yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: But it's so therefore it's.
Speaker 2: Not really changed for the worst. It's just it's survived, but it's adapted.
Speaker 3: If you live there full time, it's changed for the worst because a.
Speaker 4: It's not ran to match by local people.
Speaker 3: I don't think, I don't think. I don't think it's so good because small firms, businesses, they can't they wouldn't survive, not the small firms, because it's not sufficient out of season people there.
Speaker 4: To And I think that when the.
Speaker 3: Big supermarkets nearby they also, you know, because I mean, the only reason why the ones keep going name that are there is because the tourist season is a lot longer, you know.
Speaker 2: Well, it's also something we spoke to somebody who was something to do with either Jack Wills or one of those ones, and they were saying it was almost the fact that it's a lost leader having your shot there, because it's they do the same in Soulcomb and one or two or the other really swanky coastal resorts, but elis the same. Is almost having your brand there associates you with that place, so therefore people are more likely to buy it when they go home to remind them of that nice home buys in online, which I thought it was.
Speaker 5: Really quite funny. So Southward has almost become this either.
Speaker 2: Really go and see on the side of a van or or on a thing, you know, Paris, Milan, New York, scam Rye and Southwold has become iconic.
Speaker 6: What's the one in the or in Beckham, in in in in Norfolk?
Speaker 1: What it is?
Speaker 4: When nothing? We're Rancaster, No it isn't.
Speaker 3: It isn't a market, yeah burn a market or yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think we're I don't think we're quite that bad. I don't think Southwold is quite descended into North Norfolk. Tween is quite.
Speaker 4: Yet, No, because I think that probably the.
Speaker 3: Having the help there is a people come in to work in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I was reassured.
Speaker 2: Cedric's son, Oh yeah, his youngest son.
Speaker 4: He lives at when I think, oh yeah, and him and his.
Speaker 2: Wife they live and work and he works more or less from home, I think.
Speaker 4: But it was quite interesting.
Speaker 2: I said, oh, come on, bang, we're hav't It was that day they were doing a big r and a lie and Coastguard.
Speaker 4: Joined up training excise. Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I was speaking to a load of folks who I recognized from the cricket club and the rugby club there because obviously displays so he often and I recognized them and they were the guys who are the lifeboat crew, and they were the folk who were the coastguards. And the people who are in the yellow vests who on there. It's very interesting because they're suddenly, you know, there's no bloody locals and do you know there are yeah there, No, they're not they're not quite right. I mean, you know the person who a lot of the people who are on the lifeboat crew, they are charity workers, are retired hedge fund managers who got away early, or their.
Speaker 4: People who work out at size walk.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And there socials done well. Of course that's a good exactly, so therefore there are people. It's just the traditional things, like you say of the South Wall that used to basically be a self sufficient entity and so it all made this little hardh where everyone worked together quite well.
Speaker 4: And all the people on the council well local business.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, so they were actually they would have never let it so change. So I think that's the biggest thing is that when people realize their houses were money, they sold up. You lost the idea.
Speaker 4: That you might have generations living there.
Speaker 2: You lost, uh, the independence when you lost the shops who were independent shops that were servicing all those individuals and the industry has changed in the fact that when tourism took over as the biggest industry, you've still got a lot of those things, but they're all servicing the tourists section, which is why when you do I can remember going there, like we'd sometimes go up in half terms, which wouldn't be usual touristy things, but it always was a bustling pat Then whereas now tell you, I grow and Claire and I walking back to yours.
Speaker 5: You know ten o'clock as no one by that show. It's like a ghost town.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just there in a nuclear bomb dropped and we missed it. It's it's quite funny.
Speaker 4: But yeah, okay, so I think that's that's cool.
Speaker 2: I got enough, I've got plenty.