Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: That's right, coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on a Sports Talk seven ninety hour number two Nick Coffee. The Tribal Chief Austin Montgomery alongside today. And I'm happy that we have some structure here. We have you know for me, I say we, I'm really just talking about myself a normal week. Last week was weird with the holiday, my illness, the weather which led to of course daycare and school not being opened. So I've been last week was kind of a throwaway and I'm ready to start fresh this week. Yeah, they had to. They had you out of the flea market, my man, right, yes, by the way, would you would you bring us? Okay?
Speaker 3: So I got I got two things, so technically three things. I got some like dip like some chips pretzel dip from the people like write as soon as you walk and I'll go I'll go ahead and give him a shout out. Dip into sample is what they called it. From a sample turned in two way. You know what, pick which one you want, brother, I'll go ahead and give you one. Hell yes, And I got the the Asciago garlic dip And they're really just packets of like seasoning that you just mix in with like some mayonnaise and some sour cream, because I mean mayonnaise and sour cream is like the base of almost any sauce. Now, I did some walking around, went and looked at like the the action figures and the trading cards and all that stuff. And of course there was the the old Kentucky Derby, old old Kroger shirt stand. And then I made my way back to the as I did the whole circle. I made my way back to the beef jerky and the people over there, I think they are called shanty man. Shanty man, shout out to them if you're listening, but.
Speaker 2: Shut them out.
Speaker 3: They hit me with two free bags of some hickory and some whiskey like jerky, and it was really good and it's like it tasted it was chewy.
Speaker 2: You know what question when you're getting it free, are you asking are they just giving it to you?
Speaker 3: They just gave it well because I was taking a picture.
Speaker 2: Well, because that's because that's great because usually, like you know, I know how to work these people, I'll say, they're they're there, and they probably don't have a whole lot of product to give away. Even if you like it, if they give it away to you and you like it, like, you may not buy it because you just got it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I had the I did the disclosure of saying, hey, I'm with the radio station. You mind if I post your face on our on our station website?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah?
Speaker 3: And they're like, you know what you're doing, might as well here pick out two that you like, buddy, And I'm like, oh right.
Speaker 2: It worked.
Speaker 3: It worked with the first guys, so I knew it would work with those guys. But nonetheless, they were really smart. They knew what they were talking about. And it was really good beat jerky. It's not the type that breaks your teeth. It was nice, chewy, tender beef jerky, and it was I don't one bad, didn't didn't last the whole ride back to the station nine.
Speaker 2: That's like ten minutes. So Austin wasn't wasn't gonna be with us on Friday. We didn't having a live show anyway, but he was pulled away from us to go work at the to go set up for iHeart at the Flea mark and I told them to find some random stuff to get, and I would say some beef jerky and some dip. I think that absolutely, that absolutely qualifies. And and you gave me a little bit of confidence with the iHeart brand that I never really thought about. But when you're in like an iHeart vehicle, you can kind of go anywhere. Oh of course. You know, even if they're like some free meals in the iHeart vehicle, even if they're reluctant like there, they're still gonna see that you are in a vehicle that quite literally is a company car for iHeart Media. Yes, and they're gonna have a hard time saying like, yeah, I guess this person, like even if I wanted to be a real stickler because they don't have the appropriate badge or parking pass. I also know that they're not lying about who they're with. Yes, so they may you know, some people are like oh yeah right away. Others may look at you like they don't want to, but then they will let you yes, Like remember like we did at the football about a year. Absolutely, that's where you taught me. Yes.
Speaker 3: I think the vehicle has helped me get in more of the parking situations than anything else, which is absolutely great and if anything, it does I'm a service because we are media.
Speaker 2: We are a media corporation and we're there to work.
Speaker 3: So wouldn't it wouldn't it be best to like give us somewhere to park, and especially at the fairgrounds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take care of us, right, because we may use this platform to prop you up and give you give you thanks. I remember I drove the iHeart Durango to Des Moines, Iowa in twenty nineteen, and I was in the Taco Bell drive through after being out and about and just getting a late fourth meal as they call it at Taco Bell and heading back to the hotel. And they don't Every Taco Bell that I've been to has two windows for drive through, but they only use the one. Yeah, of course, so you just drive up then you pay. And I drove up in the vehicle and the young lady she saw the iHeart car and she was like, you work for iHeart And I was like yeah. She's like what do you do? And I'm like, well, it's not all that exciting. You're probably not our target demo, but I'm I'm a radio host and I talk about sports, and I'm here in town because the civil A tournament, and she just gave me the food and she was like, it's on us, And she had this look on her face as if like that was the coolest thing ever you were Seacrest basically, I mean basically, it's the best she was gonna she you know, she's in Iowa. It's late. She probably thought, well, this is probably the best I'm gonna get. It's not Seacrest, but I'll live in a world where where you know, he can be Seacrest in Des Moines, Iowa.
Speaker 3: And everybody always says, I listen to you guys all the time. They never say like a station or anything specific. They just yea the iHeartRadio app. So they listen to us, I.
Speaker 2: Guess, and they probably they probably worked us right where they talk when they say things like that, And then if we're giving away stuff, well, hey, if you love us, then here you go. Yeah, exactly, it's true. Could be a total lie. Can out hustle the hustler, Yeah exactly, no doubt. All Right. It's also beautiful outside today. I mean, like it's not crazy hot, but man.
Speaker 3: Fifty one degrees, no, fifty five degrees, No fifty is it in the fifties, fifty six degrees right now at forty six, and it you know.
Speaker 2: It's going to be in the fifties all week until I guess we've got high fifty seven today, high fifty three tomorrow, high fifty nine Wednesday, forty nine is the hot Thursday, and then fifty one is the hot Friday. So roughly on average we're going to be in fifty degrees or better. And that makes me very happy. Especially when the sun is shining. I need to get my car into a car wash. It looks absolutely disgusting. And that is, by the way, one of the things that I think I learned. I don't know if we've had a snowy two months in my lifetime as much as we've had in January and February, because again, like we've had big snowstorms, but the one we got in early January that was the most snow we've had in many, many, many years. And again it lingered because we couldn't consistently stay below freezing and then we got dumped on last week, not once but twice. And by the way, I think the snow that we got on Sunday that like nobody was expecting. It's funny. Everybody that I've talked to, Yeah, it woke up from the storm, the flooding from Saturday. They everybody looked outside and thought, what the hell's this? They're looking to see the water damage and everything's covered with snow. I think that actually left a bay to where we actually did have enough accumulation to where you know, you had schools doing NTI and whatnot, because the rest of the snow that last week really wasn't it really wasn't much. It was just it was so damn cold.
Speaker 3: Did you see the pictures of the waterfront and how how gross that looks since the Ohio River just basically flooded up into the river front.
Speaker 2: Oh you mean like now that it's going down. Yeah, yeah, it's gross.
Speaker 3: Debris everywhere, branches, just nasty, nasty. I mean, kudos to them that had like go clean all that stuff up, because I wouldn't do it, but I know that they're asked for like volunteers and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the I think we're flooding got really bad in eastern Kentucky, Pikeville. There's some aerial video of their Pikeviielle Universities and actually might have been high school. You mean Packville, Yeah, Pockville. Their their football field is essentially, you know, a swamp or actually worse than that. I mean, it's it's the flooding there was really bad. But then to see once the water started going down, they've got I guess their government city employees out with snow plows, not for snow but for mud. Ugh, and that, I mean that just speaks to how I think MUD's the worst. Oh, it's so gross and nasty.
Speaker 3: They closed down the boat too, the Casino Caesar across the river. I don't think that. Well, it's not a boat anymore, so it does get flooded.
Speaker 2: Well, a lot of people still call the boat. Yeah, you know, I I'll always refer to it as technically Caesars, right.
Speaker 3: Yes it is. It's always been the boat ever since, ever since I got Here'll always be the boat to me. But like, I don't think that that was actually flooded. But the road, Highway one eleven, that long, dark, very disturbing road that can get flooded very easily.
Speaker 2: The road to get there, you mean, yes, yeah, the road, the long drive, the long stretch where you're thinking, like, all right, do I have a gambling problem? Like should I be driving over here by myself at two am?
Speaker 3: The place that's some sort of like I don't know who's in cahoots with who? But could you imagine if there was just like a bridge somewhere on the south end that just linked over there, we can be there in ten fifteen minutes. But now at this point that's a thirty minute dry for everybody. You gotta really want to be there, Yes, you know what I mean. Absolutely, I've never really thought about that.
Speaker 2: How how where it's located, and I mean I don't I'm sure they do what's right for their customers and their employees as far as safety, but I also kind of you know, if nobody's there betting, like are they making money? So like my point is for them to be closed as long as they were, it must have meant that the flooding was really really bad, because you know, I'm sure they're going to be just okay, I'm sure they're gonna be everything's gonna be fine, because clearly enough people go there and bet. And it's actually a sad thing to think about because there are people who probably, you know, are there a lot more than they should be, and they've probably ruined their lives about being there as much as they are. But that you know, that's how these companies make money. So for them to just be closed completely, they really have no say. So if it's the road to get to you that's the issue, and not necessarily your facility, then you have no control over it. But I know they usually send I don't.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure I've heard now this is just here say that when it floods like that, or even if it's like icy and it snows and it's like not safe to get there, that they hire the road crew because they want to make that money too. They'll they'll be damned if they're going to click business day, so they need they they make it their own to just go out of their way and make sure that they hire somebody or make sure that somebody is out there fixing those roads just so people can go spend money there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean I would I would love to know, and we're not. We're not. I mean, maybe somebody has this information and they want to share with us, that's fine. I wouldn't even really know how you'd be able to get it unless, of course, you know you work there. But the amount of money they get on an average day and then how that's just not there for however many days they're closed. I mean again, they'll be all right, but I bet that's it's probably the number that would make you sick to your stomach. Yeah. One. And it would also make you realize how much people gamble. Yeah, that's tough. I mean you've seen the people there, though. When are you that you like that are there every time you go? When you go like twice a year and you're like this guy again, yeah at the crabs table, like you know, do you live here, my man? I mean, I remember we would do the show at French Lick whenever we were working with FanDuel before sports betting was legal in Kentucky, and it happened twice, or I would I would end the night going I would end the night at their belt or French Lick. I'm sorry, bel Terra, you're correct, yeah, a bel Terra. I would end the night at their great little sports bar they've got there, and I'd head up to my room eleven thirty midnight or something. This is when you know, this was this is different. We would always do it big March Madness, which was a great setup that we had. But I would I would leave and you can see like the first area of slot machines right there where the restaurant is, Yeah, and there'd be a woman who was sitting in that machine, and I would I would go to bed, you know, eleven thirty midnight, and she'd be sitting there. I'd get up the next morning to set up the show walk down at like six o'clock and she'd still be sitting there. Wow, And like that was sad to me, like that because look, maybe she's just cleaning them out, but I doubt it, you know, Like it just made me like that's probably somebody's mother, or maybe like that's somebody who there's people that like don't and I shouldn't say like that's somebody's mother, what an awful person. I just mean, like that's somebody that you've probably tried to help, and like they just have a problem, I would imagine, or I don't know, maybe it was just a random thing to where the two times I did a show there on a Thursday, or do the show on a Friday morning, and I stayed Thursday night she happened to be there. But yeah, people gamble a lot, and that makes certain people very very very very wealthy. All Right, we've got a streak that has come to an end. The Kansas men's basketball program has ended their eighty week streak of being in the top twenty five. Now this comes after getting blown out twice in their last three games. They did come back and really take care of business and just absolutely least I'd check. They were up nearly forty points in their game against against Oklahoma State on on Saturday. Yeah, their final score there was ninety six to sixty. So, yeah, they got blown out by Utah, got blown out by BYU and then two games prior to that two game losing streak, they lost to Kansas State, had a loss to Baylor. So you know, they're eighteen and nine, eleven and nine in conference play and they have a top twenty. Actually they're twenty first in the kin Pom, so they're not ranked, and they certainly have had some stretches of play this year where they were they were a mess. But I'm just putting it out there. I won't be shocked if we end up seeing Bill Self's team like make the Elite eight because they're not in this position because they don't have players. He's a phenomenal coach, and they already have, you know, a win against Duke, and yeah, it happened earlier in the year, probably wouldn't play out that way now. But again, even this month, they beat Iowa State, who last I checked, is still believed to be a really good team. So you know, it seemed like it was Bill Self's funeral last week because you know, the standard has been set so high that I want to and we'll get to a break in just a moment. But Bill Self having this kind of a year, I mean, you think that he's notine and eighteen. And look, he deserves criticism because it's his job. But what we do is that guys are so consistently good that like when they take us a step back, the perception is that the bottom's falling out. And it's really not like Kansas is safely in the tournament. They're still a top twenty five team in the metrics that matter. You know, it's kind of like Matt Paynter, he lost four in a row after they got killed by Indiana yesterday. Matt Paynter is a really good coach and Perdue. They're still safely in the tournament. But Perdue's been a consistent one seed the last couple of years. They played in the championship game last year. So yeah, they're nineteen and nine. Now, they're eleven and six in conference play, four losses in a row, melt down yesterday in the second half to to Indiana again. I think the perceptions like, damn, they got to get it fixed. Something's wrong, and maybe that'll maybe that'll prove out to be the case in a couple of years or something. But it's just when guys consistently win at such a high level and then they start to have, you know, losing streaks or big time losses, you think that like the world's falling, and really that's not the case.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the ceiling is for this Purdue team, but for example Yukon, Like this Yukon team, they're gonna get in, and they're clearly not what they were the last couple of seasons where you know, they won the national championship two times in a row, and they've they've been average in the big now, so they'll get in, probably be like a seven or an eight seed I would expect. But like when you hear Danny Hurley and I look, I love it when Danny Hurley's going to be arrogant in your face because things are going well, that's fun, right, because I've think he's a good character for college basketball and whenever you know, he's pointing at his The best thing ever was him pointing at his two national championship brings as he walked off the court after beating Creighton and obviously they had dollar beer night. Well then he turns around and loses to Seaton Haul, the worst Power five team in the country the next game. Like, to me, that's phenomenal, not because I hate Dan Hurley, but like you know, it's just that's funny. But clearly they're still in a good spot to where they're gonna make the tournament. And I don't know about you, I wouldn't be signing enough to play Dan Hurley in the first round. Like, people don't know what down is until you go through what Louisville fans went through with Kenny Payne. Like that's one thing that like I think is worth reminding people about. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. A lot more to get into before we get out of here. How do we feel about Jeff Brohm and the Brom squad being with Rick Patino yesterday at the Garden for his game? That was kind of weird. I don't have an issue with it, but just not something I would have expected. But we can certainly talk about that. Also, the creative ways these schools are now, I mean, they're having to be creative when it comes to finding how they can make money through nil There's one out there that I feel like is probably not going to get the money they want, but I at least admire their creativity. So we got a lot the rest of the way, So stick around. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Oh hell yeah, hell yeah. Well Sawyer Brown, Oh yeah, you know ball, that's really that's really how I live my life. I ain't first class, but I ain't white trash.
Speaker 3: Probably closer to the ladder, but you know, yeah, of course, but not completely over.
Speaker 2: That's I wouldn't have it any other way. So good stuff, all right, So what do we do with Rick Patino. You know, he came back to Lexington, and I don't believe that he was really going out of his way to like rub it in Louisville fans face that he came back, and really we should thank him because Kentucky's football season completely fell apart bo Midtum. Any momentum that Mark Stoops had at the time Rick Patino was there is gone because they finished the season really bad and they have seemingly no momentum in the off season. But Rick donating to the NI by the way, didn't ever confirm that actually happened, like Rick said, So well, Rick, Rick says a lot of things that people kind of just take it as like a partial truth. So it's Rick Patino theater. Yeah, Like it wouldn't shock me if Rick didn't actually ever donate any money to the Nile Collective for Kentucky football like he said, just like whenever he said he would have loved to have come back to Louisville, but he hasn't been invited back. Like that wasn't true. That was so he showed up to Midnight Madness and you know, did his thing. And I do believe that he has genuine love for Kentucky basketball because he was there and he he you know, Rick is a part of why Kentucky basketball is the program that it is, and he's not the entire reason, but he's a big factor. I think the timing of Rick doing what he did was I mean, Kentucky was starting to fade, just like they were starting to fade with Tubby, and then cal came in and made him relevant and made them the rock star kind of program in reminded folks that they have the history tradition that they have. So, you know, like Rick, Rick, I believe he's sincere when he talks about his love for Kentucky. I also believe he's sincere when he talks about his love for Louisville. But like Kentucky's probably a little bit different, And to be honest, he's kind of always told us that, like Kentucky was, was different and special, and he knows he'd never probably should have left.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I think fans that were upset about Rick willing to, you know, lean in and want to be the big B, the BB and Grandpa or whatever and basically be like the you know, Mark Pope's advisor or Yeah, basically be the guy that's like overseeing the head coach now, kind of playing the grandpa role. Right. So a lot of old fans were like, how could you these guys, these Kentucky fans, They made fun of you for years and made jokes and we had to live for a long time just relentlessly hearing about how long it took you to finish at an Italian restaurant and that whole thing in general we had to hear about, you know, Katina Powell. And you know you weren't necessarily the guy that did that, but you know, you led the program. It was came it fell down when you were leading the program. And you know, Kentucky fans are the ones Kentucky media, those are the ones that just never let it go. And we defended you in the program and then for you to go buddy up with them like it made fans feel, you know, as if he like betrayed them. But what I said around the time that it was a real big talking point when he went back to Lexington, I'll say it once more in regards to that Rick doesn't relate to bands like Rick is in his own world, for better or for worse, Rick lives in his own world. So when he's bothered about Kentucky, he's bothered about Caliperry being the coach, a guy that he hates there and doesn't feel like he's worthy of the job. And now Rick's bothered that he's got to be a rival against Kentucky. Because I think Rick probably thought with his ego, and honestly, when he took the job at Louisville, he probably wasn't worried about Tubby, not because Tubby stinks, but like Rick was on top of the world, he probably wouldn't wory about anybody. Well, then things played out. You've got Tubby finishing up, Billy g comes in, he stinks, and then a guy that Rick hates is the coach of the program that he will always love. So it just kind of made it a weird energy with Rick in the rivalry. But as soon as cal was gone and Pope came in, like I'm not you know, I wouldn't have necessarily wasn't like I was for years predicting this, But once it was Pope that was hired and Rick reacted the way that he did, it kind of made sense because I believe deep down he is happy that Mark Pope is the coach there a guy that was a captain for him that won a national championship. Now, Rick's always going to be about Rick as well, and that's why toms Rix kind of, I think, kind of stepped in and made things about him when they didn't need to be. That's kind of what Rick's going to do all the time. Rick is great at making things about him. So you know when he said the next day after the Big Blue Madness thing at the Kentucky football game, when he was asked by one of the local Louisville reporters that was there, one of the one of the sports guys from the one of the local TV stations was there, and I remember who it was that asked him about it, like, hey, you know what about what do you you know what about Louisville And he was like, well, I have a lot of love for Louisville and I'd love to come back, but I've never been asked. Well, that one, to me didn't sound like it was true, but then you found out it was absolutely a blatant lie because they have honored Rick's teams before here when he could have back, and he chose not to. I mean, Luke Kencock put it out there pretty directly that that was just a blatant lie because Rick has been told he can come back and he's been invited and he chose not to. So that's just a lie. But Rick does that right, you know, and he could probably find a way to talk. He could talk his way out of it, because he's great at that, isn't he He could tell us, well, you know, actually Luke talked to me, Peyton talked to me. But I didn't want to just show up on announced without a conversation with the you know, with the board or something like. He'd find a way to talk his way out of it. Although I do think and I'm not sure if this is one thousand percent turuy, but I do believe and I wouldn't say that I didn't believe it. Josh Hurd made it clear to Rick he can come back, and he chose not to. Before well, then you have the two thousand and five Final four team get on ORed a couple of weeks ago, and Rick did a video and like, I think there were a couple of booze, but a lot of cheers, And I think that's kind of part of the healing prosums and then Rick really going out of his way to gas up pat Kelsey. That's part of the healing process that makes us feel good, right, Like Rick is kind of like the divorced parent with us, like we you know, we've got a new life now, but you know, you still were here for a long time, and you you know, used to coach the rival and then you kind of got back in bed with them. That made us feel a certain way. But I think there's so many fans that experienced such great memories with Rick leading the program here to where it's just not natural to think back to that era, especially an era that really shaped how fans became big time Louisville basketball fans. Austin's one of them. His only memories of Louisville basketball are with Rick Patino. Damn right, I'm a little bit younger, I'm sorry, a little bit older than Austin to where and look I was, I was obsessed. I mean, like I know all Like, just to give you an example, somebody put up a list of the top three Louisville dunkers ever on Twitter earlier today. Some Louisville fan that I don't know if he has a blog or whatever, but ended up on my on my for you thread here, I don't follow this person, not that I would not follow them, I'm just saying like it wasn't an account I was familiar with. But I saw that they were putting out the three best dunkers in Louisville history, and they had Montrez Harrold, Terrence Williams, and Donovan Mitchell, and I'm thinking, gosh, your parents would be ashamed of you. I didn't even live to see Darryl Griffith play, but I know that he belongs at number one and there's nobody else close to it. So like I was obsessed with it at an early age to where I do remember Denny's teams, But like I knew at the time, once I got to be a little bit older that like, yeah, like Louisville's not what they were in the eighties, but I was, I was. I was born into it, essentially, so I'm a little bit different to where I knew all along. Rick's not bigger than Louisville basketball, but he was a very important figure within the within the I mean, he was humongous for how Louisville is still able to claim they are one of the best programs of all time and everybody knows that. So again, even if you feel like he's dirty because he went back and was hanging out with BBN and really loving up on them, I still think it would just be an unnatural feeling for you to hate him. And I don't hate him. I never have and it's not personal. I mean I don't know Rick at all, and Rick was one of those guys that it was hard for anybody to really know him. I mean, he's he's a hard guy to get to get any kind of access to, to be honest with you, So you know, I think him wanting to talk or him going out of his way on Twitter to talk up Pat Kelsey and how good of a job he's doing. He's done. At least a couple of times. Peyton Siva was asked by Rick to get Pat Kelsey's number for Patino, so you know those two have had some kind of conversation. And then he does the video at the final with the Final four team and you know, like that that was heartfelt and that was a special team. And I think we are now at a point where it's just a matter of time to when Rick is brought back and he's actually, you know, like given the same kind of honor that he did with Kentucky at their Big Blue Madness, and it'll and it'll and it's like who's gonna be against it? Nobody in the administration is going to be against it. No, like Pat Kelsey's all about it. Rick clearly. I mean I think him at least doing the video he did a video about Russ Smith when Russ got his number retire. But if you remember, that was just about Russ, and you know, I think Rick also would have There's no scenario he wasn't going to be a part of Russ's thing in some former fashion. But in fact, I don't. I'm gonna play this and this is the first time I'm hearing it, so if it sounds bad, I'm gonna bail on it. But this was Rick as he talked at the Miami Game a couple of weeks ago about the Final four team in two thousand and five that was honored that day. Yeah, you can't hear it, right, It sounds terrible.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm magic John just a umbuy a three point line.
Speaker 2: We want to be long.
Speaker 4: Not knowing whether to Dudu thirteen from eighteen thirteen. We want them answers you can have is just some of them, just about the whole season switching play Dead Baby's Princeton.
Speaker 2: That sounds so bad. So I'm gonna try to fast forward through the the part of him talking about the run because I just don't want to play another minute of that audio sounding terrible. But you you should be able to at least hear what he says about Louisville and the fans.
Speaker 4: Coach Helston very boy, I said, Unfortunately I'm still coaching why but we're getting up to celebrate at greteen. I'm with you, inspirer and now to coach Kelston very few and unfortunate to coach university and you're one of them. And I yeah, that's well.
Speaker 2: He goes great friends.
Speaker 4: Love you never say goodbye and just said it. So I think it has to happen for seventeen years.
Speaker 2: Love is so much.
Speaker 4: I have a heart season.
Speaker 2: I mean, I shouldn't admit it, but like I got goosebumps, I too.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: Ever, I take Rick for everything, like I know, I mean, it's not like I think this is he's the I mean, he is the best college basketball coach ever in my opinion. But you know, like I get it, like Rick's gonna find a way to make it all about him, and Rick's gonna be Rick. Like we know what Rick Patino is all about, and we know and I don't mean to say that, like we know he's a scumbag, but like, I'm not someone that would typically have any kind of feeling towards that. But again, some of the best moments, in fact, the real good moments in my time as a fan, where when he was hitting the program and some of my favorite teams he coached, and you know, he's a hell of a coach. So hearing him say he wishes he could be there but he's still coaching. Like again, that's a sign that eventually, when schedules allow, there'll be something for Rick, and it'll be it'll it'll be it'll be good for everybody involved, I believe. So I only bring this up and I should have mentioned this initially, but I didn't. I didn't mention it in the segment we did talk about it earlier. Rick Rick posted the picture yesterday with the brom family, Jeff, his daughter, Brady, and Jeff's wife with Rick Bettino in the locker room saying so awesome to have Louisville have Louisville football coach Jeff Brahmin family into the world's most famous arena. So you know, that got a lot of reaction on on social media and the for the most part, for the most part, it's people saying, like, you know, love it, that's great. Rick's a card forever. Like I'm just reading some of their responses here. They could never make me hate you, Rick, Uh, this says love this, could never hate him. It's time to restore the damn records and in this nonsense, I love this beyond words. So other I'm sorry for the slight pause. There were some Saint John's fans that are like, all right, dude, will you promote us? You're our coach now. He's really playing into the emotions of Kentucky fans and Louisville fans, and at times we have to remind ourselves, oh yeah, he is not only still coaching elsewhere, he's got a top ten team that might win the whole thing. Yeah that's true too. I mean, don't you forget about that every now and then, because yeah, in a way, like both Kentucky and Louisville fans, especially just because of the more recency to it, Like we kind of feel like he'll always be ours, but you know, you're gonna have You're gonna win a lot with him. We're not jealous. A lot of time has passed. We still love him. We got a guy now that we really like, but you know, he's still ours, like you.
Speaker 3: And that's always what I thought of it, Like when he came back to Kentucky and people would ask us like, well, how do you feel about that? And like, it doesn't bother me. If anything, it's bothers Saint John's fans. Yes, And I remember you saying they're going to have a really good team.
Speaker 2: Who are Saint John's fans? Like, do they exist? That's true? Who are they? They're just a bunch of rich New Yorkers. But then some Louisville fans that were expressing maybe some negative energy to this whole thing, you know, donate to the Louisville Football Collective and we could be onto something. Or uh, he cursed Mark Stoops, get Brahm the hell away from Patino. I mean those things are kind of tongue in cheek, but I mean again, I think if you, if you are a fan, that maybe the majority of your memories about Louisville basketball are more Denny because you're on the older side and you didn't have I guess the same. It's not to say you didn't like Rick and didn't enjoy the time he was here, But there are some people that are I mean again, It makes me makes me realize how old I'm getting, Like Austin, how old are you? Thirty one? Thirty one years old? Yes, there are people that are in that range, and even some people my age, they just weren't as into it early at a young age to where the only thing like when they think about Louisville basketball and really the best times, the highs, the lows, you know, the roller coaster that is right, you know, having a team that is good but they have a setback and then they make up for it in March. That kind of stuff, or having a team that's really good but they slip up and lose in the tournament. Like the lasting memories good are bad? That really remind you, Man, you've invested some emotion here. There's going to be really no there's no scenario where you're not going to be super excited about a win or super sad about a loss, because again, you've made that emotional investment. There's so many people that every bit of that is the Rick Bettino era. So I just think, I think this was always going to happen at some point, I believe. And if in fact it's you know, next year or I don't know, five years from now and it's the twenty year anniversary of the twenty two thousand and five Final four team, I think, you know, honestly, I guess the next case, the next one would be probably the fifteen year anniversary of the championship team. But honestly, what they could do, I mean, I wouldn't be against doing something for the Elite A group. I mean, I know Elite eights are different than Final fours. It's one game, but man, it certainly seems like a different type of season if you made a Final four compared to an Elite eight, but like something to honor Earl Clark and that crew. So so those guys Jerry smith t will if he's out of prison yet, you know, and I'm not joking, I'm being serious. I wish that wasn't the case. But you know, like maybe honor a team that maybe wouldn't you wouldn't think would be honored because one we missed those guys, but also likes if it's a quicker sign to get ricked back here, and it's not that we need it, it's not like it's something that has to happen. But like, I think there's been a lot that's played out really since the Kentucky thing where he went there and went to Big Blue Madness and was hanging out with Eddie Grant on the sidelines of the Kentucky football game, to where like he's kind of positioned it to where any moment we hear that he's going to be honored when available, like it wouldn't shock me. And again, if you don't really care about that at all, I get it. If you're somebody that is anti I kind of get it. If you're somebody that's like, all right, we need to make this happen. I'm where you are, and I think it's just natural. All right, quick break, we'll come back and wrap up the four o'clock hour. On the other side, keep this thing rolling along. Something else we got to get into later. I missed the chance to talk about this on Friday because I wasn't available to go on the air, but it sounds like we're gonna find out here soon if the SEC is going to a nine game football schedule, and if they do, you know, Kentucky's running. They're running. Governor's couple be no more? All right, quick break, give a lock right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: We were wrapping up the four o'clock hour here on a Monday afternoon, a beautiful Monday afternoon. So I find myself nerding out on corruption and financial crimes, Like I'm a big true crime nerd. That's kind of like outside of sports. That's something I really enjoy when it comes to documentaries, and I even like read up on it, like I'm a nerd about it and it interests me. And what really has kind of been a real interest even more so is the people who are I guess fraudsters, and they're really bright, they're really smart people and with their with their I guess, uh, you know, savviness and their knowledge in the financial world, like they'll figure out a loophole to like scam money. And I'm sure many people have done that and not gotten caught. But what really fascinates me is that that moment where they realize, like, all right, I've gone too far. But then they don't, they don't, like they don't pump the brakes and run and hope they never get caught for maybe, you know, skimming a little bit off the top. As they say, they'll end up for years stealing millions of dollars from the government or from a company, and like they have to know they're gonna get caught, Like they have to know that eventually it's gonna be a bad day for them and they're gonna have to deal. I mean, it's gonna be bad. And one of the most fascinating cases here locally in the region in Kentucky, Annah that I is former Clark Kenny's Sheriff Jamie Noel, who was convicted of stealing more than four million dollars and I think it's actually more than more than that overall, but like that was just what he ended up stealing from the Utica Township Volunteer Firefighters Association and the Clark County Sheriff's Department. So he used the money that he stole over years to you know, personal expenses, luxury cars, vacations, lavish items. And he also you know, like he had his family in on it, and some of his daughters, I believe, got you know, I think they've been held accountable by the judicial system, and you know, it's awful that he was dealing all this money, taxpayer money, and you know, he just got comfortable. And like you, I'm sure he's looking back now, like one hopefully he feels bad and he's remorseful, but like the guy was clearly living a lifestyle that some would have to wonder like, how's that happening. So anyways, I saw this during the break from WDRB, and I think it's a good idea. But his classic car collection is going to be auctioned off and all the proceeds are going to go towards the three point one million dollar restitution that he has to pay. He was sentenced to twelve years in prison in October. And I just I've seen a few people on social media that live in I guess the southern Indiana area and maybe some of their some of their tax dollars were you know, maybe they pay taxes where he's at and you know, he was using it to have a lavish lifestyle and buy these luxury cars. But they're going to auction off all of his all of these luxury cars. And I mean, like, if you if you just want one of these cars, cool, but I wonder like if these have value because you'll know that it was a car that was obtained by this crook who you know is now rightfully in prison. But we're talking about I mean, by the way, it's going to be the premiere Spring Big Boy Toy Classic Car auction. It's going to be May second and third French Lick French Lick Casino and Resort and says here, our goal is to create an exciting, first class auction experience where buyers and sellers like can connect with the collector car community while achieving fair market value for their vehicles. With the collections already consigned, this auction is shaping up to be the best one yet. So its collection it includes, I mean, I'm trying to see if there's like a list of the type of cars that he has, but I'm looking at like an old old cop car that has to be from like the sixties. I mean, yeah, these are more so like classic cars, like rare trophy type cars than you know, a brand new range Drover or something like that. But I guess what I find curious is if it is someone more interested in going and getting it and you know, maybe getting it for a good deal and then you know, wanting to be driving around when he gets out of prison and like shoving in his face that you have the car that he's that. I don't know, I just I think I read that it's the biggest I think I saw on the news yesterday. It's the biggest corruption case as far as the amount of money that was taken in Indiana history by you know, an elected official who decided to, you know, use his power and steal from people. But when you just look at and I follow this again probably closer than most, but just the amount of of of big expenses, I mean, he was basically just treating it like a I mean, it wasn't like I'm upside down on my mortgage let me see. Because again, you should never steal, you should never scam. But this guy wasn't doing it because he was having a tough time making end meat. He was just greedy, and greed's a powerful thing that gets the best of a lot of people. But yeah, these these cars look pretty bad ass, if I may say so myself. All Right, we got another hour, hopefully it'll be a badass hour as we wrap up a Monday. I mean, we're not wrapping it out. We got we got a whole hour to go, but you know what I mean, We'll try to finish strong. So stick around and if you want to join us, you can. We'll open up the phone lines here in the five o'clock hour. Pabout two five's seven one seventy nine hundred Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety