Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Pink Shade.
Speaker 2: It's Thursday, and that means we're going to talk about pop culture and Bravo. And I've got a new guest. It is Melissa, who is known as your bish therapist. And do we say your last name Reich or reich Or's wrong?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: That was great. Okay, it's very good to meet you.
Speaker 3: So good to meet you, Mary Payne. I feel like we've traveled in the same circles and I just adore you. I love this podcast, so grateful to be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we have a mutual friend, Amy Phillips, yes, who gave me info so I could reach out and I was like, all right, I was like, I got somebody, I got. I gotta break down. I'm following all the trials, I'm solving all the murders, and I am so interested to hear your take as a therepist on Love Hotel and the Valley and what's going on with Real Housewives of Atlanta I'm watching. I'm not a below deck person and I have nothing against it. It's just there's so many that somewhere along the way they lost me, you know, by the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, So Summerhouse I'm in on, but Below Deck I feel the same way. I've not watched one episode. There's too many iterations. And also I'm one of those weird people that I get so seasick even sometimes watching the movement it actually makes me. Yeah. So I also never gravitated towards it. And so you're not.
Speaker 2: Alone, Okay, I mean I've watched like I've watched it, but the last few seasons, I haven't watched A couple of seas ago, I watched a whole season and covered it and I really didn't even tell you why. I think, Oh, because there was a crossover with a person that was on another show I was covering with Deanna Chang, which was Milf manor Oh Danna and I were covering that, and one of the one of the young boys, I mean a thirty something year old, twenty something year old, was on Below Deck as a charter guest.
Speaker 1: So I was like, oh, well, we're gonna have to cover that.
Speaker 2: So then I got sucked into the season Summerhouse.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 2: I know that makes me a liability for anybody who wants to talk Bravo with me, But I've never watched a whole episode really, and it's just too late.
Speaker 1: I can't catch up.
Speaker 3: See, can I be honest? I disagree with that. Now here's people ask me to cover sister Wives all the time. That's too late to catch up on like that boat has there's like forty seven seasons. Yes, I'm they sit.
Speaker 1: Around and do nothing.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, But I really do think Summerhouse you can pick up. I mean, listen, no pressure, because I think that we all as content creators, we have the bandwidth for what we have the bandwidth for, and if you don't, that is totally fine. But it is really good. And I haven't watched since the beginning. I picked up in the middle because I kind of felt the same way in terms of like, I don't know how relevant it is to watch from the beginning, but I started picking up somewhere in the middle and now I'm totally in so it listen. It's never too late.
Speaker 2: I know, And it maybe if I ever have like an extended vacation or I have some sort of surgery where I have to like sit in the bed.
Speaker 1: That did happen to me? Yeah, that's that's what I'm hoping for.
Speaker 2: A few years ago, I had a surgery, and I watched all of Doubton Abbey because I'd never watched one episode. Well, I really felt like i'd accomplished something. I mean, I went all the way through the movies like I did it all I felt and that got me through. So if ever I have to have another major surgery summerhouse, it is okay.
Speaker 3: Well, let's also not hope that you have to have a surgery so you can watch. I hope you stay healthy.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, only if it's like something fun, like a facelift or like a tummy tucker or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely sure, I'm with you. Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well let's talk about these shows.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So well, first I want to talk about pop culture, because I like to start with pop culture. Are you in on the Karen Reid trial? I mean literally that is on my phone right this minute. I just paused it because I'm not caught up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am dialed in to the Karen Trial. I have watched every single solitary episode of anything that has to do with her. I am fascinated.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I've been watching the trial every single day. I was very happy when I drove here to the beach. I had six hours in the car by myself. I could just listen to trial coverage, like literally listened to Emily b Baker, Emily de Baker tell me about the trial while the trial was trialing. So today when I was flying, I did miss a little bit of the testimony because I was flying. I got up, got right back in rewound, found where I was. Now they just this today. We're recording this Wednesday. It comes out Thursday. But they just announced no court Thursday, Friday, Monday, see you back on Tuesday, because they already were going to take the weekend, but then something happened where they're ahead on their witnesses.
Speaker 1: To testify.
Speaker 2: So I think that whoever was like the next one probably like couldn't be in town because they were scheduled to go on Tuesday. So they're like, no court Thursday, Friday, Monday. So that's gonna be upsetting for me. It's going to be a long break for me.
Speaker 3: That's so fascinating because I don't know how they're ahead because she was sick and then court had to be canceled only one day, you know, but you would think that would be behind, not ahead. That is that's interesting.
Speaker 1: MM hmm. So what am I going to do?
Speaker 2: So between now and then, what I'm going to do is I'm ketch up on the Diddy trial. Now I watch I'm up to date and Brian Coberger. I'm ready for that, Yes, But the Diddy trial, I've I've been listening to Kate Casey because she's covering it. I've been listening to her coverage. She's got a lawyer on there that's talking to her. I think I'll be interested to hear your point of view, from a therapist point of view, from the Cassie Ventura what I've seen, Like I said, I haven't been following it as closely, but what I saw was she explained everything. But of course, what they're always going to bring up in things like this is her willing to dissipation in quite a bit of it, you know, And this is it hasn't quite got to where I feel like it's blamed the victim, but it's skating the edge of blaming the victim. And you have to remember he met her when she was very young, and you know, groomed her and kept her around, and so yeah, if she's sending him these suggestive texts, like she's ready for the freak golf, or she can't wait, or yes, she'll contact the prostitute.
Speaker 1: Whatever. I see it.
Speaker 2: As grooming, and she's doing what she's told because now she's got this life that she's living.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I think they skated a very fine line on blaming the victim there. What are your thoughts.
Speaker 3: I don't think they skated the line. I think they crossed it. But if I'm being honest, I think whenever women historically are put in this position, it is always a group of male lawyers trying to victim blame, victim shame, slut shame, right, because having kinks isn't anything to go on trial for. But what you said a word, which is grooming, I fully agree, and so I actually went on Rachel Levis. I went on her podcast, I think it was last year, you know, after the scandal happened, and I talked about grooming because in the core of law, there is a lot that people and abusers can get away with because psychological abuse there's not a lot of great definitions and there's certainly not a lot of great accountability holding in terms of our justice system that.
Speaker 1: We have to prove it right. How do you prove it.
Speaker 2: How do you prove that that person was groomed to, not just doing it of their own free will?
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, right, right.
Speaker 3: But anyone with any sort of common sense or observational skills whatsoever can see that as he was very young, she was absolutely groomed by him. And it sounds like, you know, some of those texts and things, what happens is when you're in abusive relationships, which is wholeheartedly what this was. Did you see the video of him attacking her in the hallway and throwing her around road?
Speaker 2: So it's so nobody's going to look at that and be like, oh, she's terrified of him, and here's why.
Speaker 3: And if that's what he's willing to do in a public corridor where there's a hallway, can you imagine what he was willing to do behind closed doors. It's absolutely frightening and it's astounding to me but not surprising, how the lengths that this misogynistic culture will go to to try to tear women down. And this is why women don't come forward, because there's the abuse, there's the assaults, and then it happens all over again in a court of law, and it's just it's it's a very broken system. Cassie, in my opinion, is an absolute angel who is meaning angel on earth in terms of her strength, her perseverance, and her willingness to say, you know what, I know, I'm going to be torn down here, but I'm going to hold him accountable so that he can't hurt more people. And I just think her bravery is really something that should be celebrated and she shouldn't be torn down in anything.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people that are maybe going to be coming forward to testifying are feeling safer to speak their mind because he's behind bars, you know, because if he wasn't behind bars, and we haven't heard of yet a sort of a number two person that's running his enterprise, and maybe there is someone, but if you were afraid of him, and then you're also afraid of whoever's number two is, it doesn't seem like a number two has been revealed that people would be afraid of that person. It seems like more people are coming forward with stories because he's behind bars and they feel safer.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, And I think to your point, that is a huge factor in terms of why women don't come forward or why they acquiesce essentially to the abuse. So her text to me is not evidence of her participating, it's her evidence of her acquiescing because she doesn't want to get injured or killed or you know, I mean, I think for all intents and purposes. You know, I don't know Diddy. I haven't assessed him. You know, I can't speak on that, but his behaviors, I can say are indicative of a very dangerous person, likely with some very severe psychopathology. And what psychopathology is is just kind of you know, you hear people use the term sociopath's psychopath and essentially it's all you know, the psychological correct term is sociopathy. And that happens when people you know, lack empathy consistently over time. And so not only does he like empathy, I just feel this visceral reaction every time I see you know, that video or something he says or does you know, I'm kind of like I joke a little bit, I'm like a bomb sniffing dog when it comes to sociopathy. Okay, in my history, I've worked with a lot of different populations. I'm trying to figure out how to say this diplomatically, and so I just am really able to with certain men with those characteristics. It's like a visceral feeling that I get in my body and I just feel that whenever I watch any sort of coverage with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we talk a lot on our shows about sociopath and psychopath and explain to me the difference, because I know one is sort of like you're born with it and the other one is sort of like you become Is that right?
Speaker 3: Well, and so there essentially euphemisms for the same term, which is psychopathology. So a sociopath and a psychopath, people will say. People online, if you look at TikTok, they'll say, well, this means this, and this means this. It's hard.
Speaker 1: I'm getting my information, let's be real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and listen fair enough. I get I'm on TikTok too, and I have to check myself too. I'm like is that right? And I'm like, well, I don't believe that. So they can be very convincing, but it's essentially just one broad umbrella term, which is psychopathology. And what those terms mean is that brain studies and imaging have shown that people who have psychopathology, they you know, their frontal lobes and certain areas of the brain do not light up the way that other folks who have healthy functioning brains do, and so there is some biological you know, really the answer to why things happen the way they are is it's called epigenetics, and epigenetics is when environment meets genetics, and so it really, you know, the old in psychology was nature or nurture, and we now know the answer is always both, I mean usually both. And so psycho pathology means that in terms of how they behave, they don't have pro social behaviors, meaning they don't have empathy. They're very self serving. They use other people to serve their needs and desires. But lack of empathy is really the only huge defining characteristic for those specific diagnoses. I would say, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So when you see somebody, we'll say Jacks. So Jack's a long time ago on Stacy's podcast, and that was one of the first podcasts to ever listen to because I love Stacy and come at me, I don't care. And she had a podcast that was really good, and she still does have a podcast, she has kind of a different one now, but she sat down with Jack I think it was. Even on vander Pump Rules, she sat down with Jack's for her podcast and gave him it was was it a sociopath test or a narcissist test? He passed with the line colors.
Speaker 3: Oh well, okay, so I can speak to that too. Is that I think it was a narcissist test. But Tom Sandival went on Doctor Drew's. He went on a podcast and doctor Drew has this test to look at narcissism. And I went and I looked at it because part of my training is in psychological assessment as well. Now I don't provide that, but I you know, I took courses on it, and I understand that in these assessments there need to be some measures to prevent fakery essentially, And so I took that narcissis test that doctor Drew gave to Tom Sandival, and you can answer it the way that you want to get the answer that you want. So unless it's an actual psychological assessment tool, I don't always put a lot of stock in it for that reason, because Jackson is smart enough to know how to answer those questions to get the desire result that he wants.
Speaker 2: But the result that the got was he is a narcissist, he is a sociopath.
Speaker 1: That was the result. Okay, well then it was I was saying.
Speaker 2: As he passed, She's like, you have to answer everything. She's like, and you understand, like we were together for years, like you can't lie. He's like, okay, you know. One of the questions was if this then that, would you choose yourself or would you choose to help your an old lady about to get hit by a bus. And he'd be like, well, I mean she's already runt of the bus, so what am I going to do. It was just all of his answers were the wrong thing to say, and she was like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: And at the end she was like, well, okay, you.
Speaker 2: Scored, you know, nineteen out of twenty. You know, yes, you're a social path.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He's like, okay, okay, so I'm cute. Who cares?
Speaker 2: But with Jack's with his behavior, a lot of his behavior I can relate to with my past with my husband. A lot of his behaviors are just attic behavior in that he says, yeah, I shouldn't have done it, but everybody else would well, everybody else would have done the same thing.
Speaker 1: It's very much of.
Speaker 2: Okay, it was wrong, but what would you do if that happened, or every everybody would do the same And you're like, no, they wouldn't. And he can't ever just say yes, that was wrong, yes that was wrong, but you would do the same thing. He always is trying to caveat you would do the same thing. Any guy would do the same thing. And then I noticed this week, I guess it was on the Valley that Danny was doing the same thing about his drinking that my husband used to do a lot of, like, well, everybody was drinking, Why were you? Why are you saying I was drunk? Everybody was drinking. So it's like if everybody's doing it, then I'm not the problem. So with Danny, his behavior presents to me as addict behavior, and the way he speaks about it the same as Jack's the way Jack speaks about like two, Okay, I had a cocaine problem, but you did cocaine too. It's like, that's not the point.
Speaker 3: That was So when I watched that scene, it was so textbook addictive behavior, where it's like the addict. It's like, if they're going to go down they're going to take everyone around them with them, because I and I think truly, you know, it's funny that you mentioned that Jack's failed the test, and so it sounds like he was truthful, because I do believe at the core that Jack's his narcissistic traits and tendencies, you know, because I can't diagnose it's not appropriate and it's also not ethical. I don't know Jacks. I'm not a therapist, but I can look at the behaviors and I can tell you that on you know, clinically, I look at things on a continuum, and so he is for sure on the higher end of this continuum of these narcissistic traits and tendencies, you know, bordering on I would say anti social, anti social traits and tendencies, meaning you know, like when he stole the sunglasses just for just for kicks, you know, he yeah, his brain really, he does, really see to have the one thing that all people in addiction have in common, which is just like a thirst for chaos. It's you know, it's not always even about the substance. It's about the thirst for absolute chaos in relationships with your friend groups, just creating you know, the ripple effect of his behaviors on other people. I think he sort of gets a kick out of that. And so for me, I'll tell you something funny. I actually didn't watch VPR in the beginning because I felt allergic to Jack's I was so like, I felt I was so hot.
Speaker 2: I was so hot for him, you know, because that just shows you the kind of men I've chosen in my life.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I was like, he.
Speaker 2: Is so hot, he is so mean, he would be so mean to me, and I would be the one to change him.
Speaker 3: Oh and listen, that's why Brittany stuck around and was right. And that's that's the way people like this have significant other women especially think I can change him. I'll make him want to change and.
Speaker 2: Then it would be one he picked up all the women. I'm one he picked because I'm I was able to change him. So I'm special, you know. And You're like, he's been with hundreds and hundreds of women, but I'm the one, you.
Speaker 3: Know, right, right, And so I think, you know, at a point, that's maybe how Brittany felt. But I just think that Jack's particularly there's something a little bit sadistic about him where it's like you know that saying misery loves company, like he's not happy unless people around him are miserable and in chaos as well. And so that's something extra special about Jackson's personality that I don't necessarily see in someone like Jesse. For example, Jesse and Jack's are very similar, right, I very similar.
Speaker 1: Jesse's just a little bit smarter.
Speaker 3: And more charismatic.
Speaker 2: I would I argue, I've been around Jack's twice, not you know, just seeing him and had had work spoken twice, and I would argue that he is very charismaic, but I think it's simmering underneath, and you know him enough to know that, you know, whereas Jesse is so cutting with his words, and like when he said to Janet on the valley, when he said this is not a game you want to play, like that scared me a little bit. I was like, oh, I'm a little scared him. I could probably take him because they're probably bigger than him, but I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, that scared me a little bit to say that what she yeah say bloomers, you know.
Speaker 2: To say that to somebody, a girl in front of their husband, like he doesn't care. You know, he said it, right, to her in front of her husband. He didn't care if he offended her her husband. Who's this friend? He said, You're not gonna this is not a game you're gonna be good at. You don't need to try to play with me.
Speaker 1: I was like, WHOA.
Speaker 3: I think that Jack's cares less about people seeing behind the mask, and Jesse's max mask is a little bit more affixed, and he only lets it down in those little moments and you have to be watching carefully. So I agree with your assessment on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very interesting. I think that's right. I think Jax is just so like this has gotten me on TV for fifteen years.
Speaker 1: Yes is the why not? This made me fairs, so people must like it.
Speaker 2: Do you have what else are you discussing like on your show and in general?
Speaker 1: What are you talking?
Speaker 2: Because we did, Karen, Ree're talkbout cover Diddy? So when you're talking about things, are you do you pick like one specific subject or like, this is what's happening this week on the Love Hotel, let's talk about Shannon?
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, great question. So honestly, I have this thing where I will only cover what I am authentically drawn to as a human being. And I have the privilege of doing that because you know this, I get to do this for fun. This is you know, I'm trying to make it a career, trying to you know, do my best at this. But you know, I have an amazing, wonderful, supportive husband, and so I can really just kind of cherry pick and so I look at what does my brain feel authentically drawn to. So what it's been drawn to is Shannon on Love Hotel. I swear to you I could write a dissertation on her relational issues. I have so much to say about that. So I've covered that. Of course, the valley is so rich in terms of because I have a huge people that follow me their you know, Thriver, survivors of domestic abuse, sober community, because I talk a lot about you know, addiction, you know, as a former drug and alcohol counselor, and so I you know, the valley. I try. I'm trying to make something good out of something really toxic by you know, making it educational at least a little bit. And then I was covering Atlanta, but you know what, no one seems to care about it, and it really you know, because it's so good.
Speaker 1: I will say, let's talk about Atlanta really quick.
Speaker 2: So this last week we had Shemia and Porscha sit down as they've been friends for a very long time, and it was very weird what was happening at that table because so Shemia was trying to tell her as a good friend of me, I'm trying to tell you, and she got going, stop, why are you doing this?
Speaker 1: I can't believe you're doing this for the show.
Speaker 2: She was trying to call Shemiah out and say you are overreacting or creating drama for the show, where Shemia is like, what are you talking about? Like, I'm literally trying to talk to you about something. Something happened when Portia went to the bathroom and came back and she sort of had reset and was like, we do need to work this out. I found that whole thing so interesting because it was like Portia wouldn't really let Shemia talk, and then she got mad at her and started saying, you're.
Speaker 1: Doing this for the show. I was like, where's the evidence of that? Why are you saying that? I thought, what did you think? I thought it was interesting.
Speaker 3: I also was fascinated by the scene because so much of communication is actually nonverbal, Like the stuff that can really matter, a lot of it is nonverbal. And it was like I felt like I was watching the US Open like a tennis match, like boom boom boom. And it was so fascinating as a therapist to watch, you know, because what I have a history of, you know, when you're in a situation and you're watching it escalate. I saw each and every bit of how they both contributed to that excalation. And so I think that, my honest, if I have never loved a new housewife like I love Shamiyah, I feel, where has this peach been all of our real housewives of a Landa lives? She should have been on a million years ago? Who dropped the ball on that? And Porscha just has this history of, let's face it, relational issues in her romantic and her friendship relationships. And I believe Porscha is kind of a perpetual victim in that she feels. I don't think at that dinner she felt she had the bandwidth for Shamiah, but sometimes life is hard and we may not have the bandwidth. But if this is your sister that you've been friends for decades, right, this is not some random new housewife, like he gives a who this is your girl, this is your sister. And so it was not surprising to see how Porsha behaved, but it was understandable why that made Shamia angry because Shemiah was on the right side of history here, I believe, and I think Porsha was just like, listen, I'm going through a real divorce. I can't go through a friend divorce. But the problem is she doesn't want to address any of the problems that are creating these what I would call relationship ruptures. So if you have a rupture and you don't deal with it and then you move on, and then there's another rupture, well soon the relationship becomes you know, you can't fix it. It's inflexible. Yeah, and I think unfortunately Portia has a history of doing that in relationships, hoping issues will just fly away and miraculously resolve, and that's just not how life goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm really I've been watching Atlanta and maybe it's because it's the only housewives on right now, like we're getting Miami soon, but I've been really enjoying it. I've loved the whole new stylized version of it. I'm generally liking that. I'm really liking Angela Oakley because I felt like she was being super honest about her relationship with her husband.
Speaker 1: She's like, oh, yeah, like we have separated because of what happened.
Speaker 2: I mean, so I like that when they don't try to say oh, people just try to spread rumors, and she's like, no, we went through some shit.
Speaker 1: And I like that.
Speaker 2: I feel like she's a grown up woman who has been through things in her life and she can you know. She's like, and then my daughter got married and didn't tell me, and then my mom doesn't like my husband. I mean, you know, so I think it's like real life, and I really like her. Kelly I'm getting into because she's just She's just she literally is like a like a Betty Boot character, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: A literal ray of sunshine.
Speaker 2: But I'm not interesting about her daughters that she has. The she has the three or the four daughters, and three of them have that riddle bone disease and they be a CPS was time to take them away because they thought she was beating her children.
Speaker 1: You're like, whoa, we skated past that.
Speaker 3: That's a huge story, right, and not her a lot, but she has an ex husband who, by for all intents and purposes, has been allegedly very abusive and talking about scary right like threats. Yeah, and I kind of believe that Kelly. I think she's a beautiful soul, but I think her bubbly personality is built off of trying to keep herself safe, to keep people around her so that she's not alone. So that and I also think some of it, like trauma survivors, a lot of times we do this thing where will just not want to deal with the emotions, so we'll kind of like have a little bit of toxic positivity accidentally, right unintentionally, And sometimes I get that a little bit with Kelly, Like I want to see your sadness, like you're not a way of sunshine every day and if you are, well, that's you're not feeling something. So you know, I want to I feel like I want to peel back the layers of Kelly and get to her, but you know, I think she needs to feel safe enough to do that.
Speaker 2: So you just said toxic positivity, which reminded me of the recap I just did with Kimberly that came out on Wednesday about The Valley. She used the phrase toxic positivity to describe NIA.
Speaker 1: And what you're saying is to covering up trauma.
Speaker 2: Obviously we didn't know this about Nia, but she said it on this latest episode of The Valley of all that she went through and she's she said, I'm intentional in my positivity because of what I went through today. I'm grateful that I have a home, but then I was grateful that I had a car to live in. So she's been through so much that she she says, I'm intentional with my positivity and maybe I could be a light and help other people. But like you're saying, sometimes when you're like that, all your friends around you will get mad and be like, but you're not being real. You're not being real, and we don't like it. And especially for on a show where we're all getting paid the same amount to show our lives and you're not. And you find that you see that a lot and housewives of some of these shows, or what really they're mad at the person about is mad about is because they came late to a party.
Speaker 1: When it's like, this is a cast call. We have to be there.
Speaker 2: You didn't have to come because you did something else and we all had to go. So sometimes they're mad about that kind of stuff, or like, you got invited to be a speaker as something and you didn't add me, so I didn't get that money to be a speaker at something. So there's all these little things. So I think it's very interesting what you said Nia and her toxic positivity. That's a little bit of what they're mad about. They're like, well, that's great that you're so happy and you and your husband are true partners and handle everything together with therapy and all that, but we are shooting a reality show where we have to show all our shit, you know.
Speaker 3: And it's so funny because where I talked about toxic positivity, that initially came from that scene with Nia, and as a therapist, I swear to you it was like a light bulb went off in my head. And so I just want to explain quickly. My assessment was like, so she growing up, had her and her mom were chronically unhoused for people listening that maybe don't know, and when you're growing up as a child and you have what's called scarcity trauma, so as humans, the only thing we really absolutely have to have her needs met is like shelter, food, and safety. And when those needs aren't met as children, there's a scarcity trauma that happens and really can rewire children's brains. And you know, the thing that became apparent to me is that I think Nia in this scenario, it's it's they're arguing about semantics. She's being as open as she knows how to because I believe when she was a child, you have to develop this sense of secrecy when you know if someone at school finds out, you're going to get separated from your mind, and children and youth are going to get involved. So I believe that Nia has the suit of armor to self protect and I believe that she's doing the same thing because the only thing that matters to her is Danny and those children. And so I believe I'm viewing it more as much more self protective due to that child scarcity trauma. And this is as open as she knows how to be, because I think she worries in real time if people think that Danny has an addiction and what is going to happen to her current family unit are children and youth going to get involved there is she at risk of losing her home, her car, her job, and for someone in that position, that fear would override any requirements of being on a reality TV show. She's doing the best she can, I believe.
Speaker 2: I thought it was interesting when she was arguing with you know, Britney Jazzin and Britney's room and Danny King kind of stucker mad at me, like what's going on? And then they went back in the bedroom and she was saying, just like so many things I've heard myself say, is like, yeah, everybody was drinking, and she was sort of saying the words that he was saying too. And then like when she came home from the dinner and she sat down and she goes, well, you know, you told me you drank tequila, but I didn't know it was in the closet, and he said that's where the bottles were. She goes, Okay, that makes sense. It seems like that is a show for people to see that she knows and she understands. But in my mind, I'm like they're trying to protect this image because they're very involved with their church number one, and she absolutely doesn't want the word to get out that he has some sort of substance issue that'll affect his career as a voiceover artist, which then affects her and the kids.
Speaker 3: That's right, and creates that again, that trigger for scarcity trauma, where if he loses his job, what happens to this house, what happens to our kids? I've lived in my car. I can't do that, you know. She She's just trying to do the best she can for her children. But it's so interesting you bring up that scene because what I wrote down is I can tell that she's making excuses to playcate Danny's anger in the moment, it was super obvious to me, and she's done this millions of times before. She you know, cameras were on and so she felt safe enough to say something. But Danny has this real I call it a simmering rage which she can see. Like there was one scene where Danny smirked and she got so triggered and defensive and she said, don't do that smirk. I know what that's about. And I forget what point it was and.
Speaker 1: Should she said don't do that nervous laughter? Yes, what? And she goes quit doing the nervous.
Speaker 2: I think she's trying to say, quit nervous, laughing about me talking about you chunking tequila in a closet. She goes, it does look bad. It does, and he's like, right, okay, all right, you know, yeah.
Speaker 3: But I'm saying that I can see that that's the mark of a woman who's had those conversations so many times that knows the slight change in his smile and tone of voice. And so when you're dealing with a partner who may be overutilizing substances. Because I can't judge what's going on with Danny, I can only look at what I see. It's what happens when they're confronted about the ripple effects of their behavior. And I think that you know, Danny's saying, well, he's had to go to therapy before because of his behaviors when he's blacked out on alcohol, but he's shocked and surprised that it's still causing an issue, and you know, so it's a lot of rich information, and it just tells me that there's so much more under the surface that they're just desperately trying to hide. And it's not disingenuous I think it's just I think Nia's trying to preserve her safety in her family unit.
Speaker 1: Real really interesting.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting to think of it that way, because I see it as her trying to say face because we don't want him to lose his job because he's the main breadwinner. I find it fascinating, all right. So we also touched on Shannon on Love Hotel Now. When Shannon did sort of explain that she was coming up on the one year of her duy, Well, anybody that's been in any kind of traumatic situation knows that somehow biologically, your brain or your body or something knows it's an anniversary.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: My husband had a sister that passed away as a child, and when they were children, and in December he would always get he said, he goes. I can't explain it. I could feel it because when it happened, it was in December, right, even though it's fifty years ago at this point. But it's interesting that watching that, I was like, Okay, this might be because she says, you know, tomorrow is the when you're anniversary, and then she shows all these men who she's technically supposed to be wanting to be attractive to let me show you what what a hot fucking mess I am.
Speaker 4: Let me show always throw my bloody face. So I was like, girls like no, no. But it's interesting because people are like, what is up with her?
Speaker 2: I go, I just see her life literally did not turn out like she planned it. And she planned to be married to David Bbora and David Badoor and live in the twenty million dollar mansion with the crystals embedded in the wall and the indoor basketball court.
Speaker 1: That's what she planned. So that didn't happen.
Speaker 2: And then she planned John Danson, you know, this amazing boyfriend whatever, and that didn't happen. So you know what I mean, I don't think she's just struggling to.
Speaker 1: Get above water.
Speaker 3: You know, I absolutely agree, And I said on my podcast pretty much the one a similar piece to that, which is that I think that Shannon is grief stricken because she is at a she is at an age in her life where, like you said, the picture of what she had for herself in her mind, it is totally different. She is, you know, recovering from a duy because you know, I mean in the sober community, you know, post acute withdrawals, you know, and I don't know if she stopped drinking, but post acute withdrawal syndrome last for over a year.
Speaker 2: After people at please she's drinking on this show, she did not stop drinking, you know.
Speaker 3: Right, So, but my point is is that when you know she's not Shannon does not love to feel a feeling. She does not love to allow herself to feel an emotion, and so I think she's profoundly unhappy. And what she does is she projects that onto all the males who she dates. Because the one thing that became super clear to me with this whole Shannon stuff, I've talked about it every week is that she is recreating all of her relation relational issues with men that she doesn't know. So what does that tell me? That tells me that Shannon is is a huge part of the issue, and that she's recreating this chaos here we see again chaos right with people overutilizing alcohol. She uses this chaos I feel to be able to express these painful emotions, like when she and Earle fought, I don't know how much it was about Earl and how much of it was about I'm on the show. I feel like a fish out of water. Nobody but Earle likes me. These three women are swimming in d and I'm just like, no one likes me. And I think also that's why she was with David and with John Jansen, because it's like if anyone likes her, even if she's not happy or doesn't like them, she settles. And we've seen her do it time and time and time again on Love Hotel, and so you know, it just really did give me a lot of insight into I just think she has a lot of big emotions, does not know how to process those, uses these conflicts to express them. But when you're not being like when you have a feeling about situation A and you're making it about situation B, all those feelings about situation A really gets stuck and then you stuff them and then it gets all muddy because feelings are on top of feelings, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the thing with Earl was so interesting because she she did what she thinks is cute or guys like or she's like, what.
Speaker 1: Huh is she? That's always kind of been a cutesy thing that she does.
Speaker 2: And then he was like, he doesn't know her from TV, so he didn't think he doesn't know that sort of her stick. So he goes, why do you always look at me like you want to slap me? Because when she's doing that, he feels judged by her right, And it's interesting, I haven't even thought about it that way of her feeling like, oh, all these like sexy ladies here and people want them, but they don't want me. I would feel that way if I was in a show with those women, I would be like, Okay, these are all like beautiful, sexy women. And Shannon is a beautiful woman in her own way, but she's very sort of a little more conservative. And by the way, there's plenty of guys out there that like that too, the same amount of guys that like like Lui Ane being the opposite, you know, but she just doesn't see it. She doesn't see that she's got this to offer, you know, right, I like, why, you know, why don't you see?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's sad, and I agree Shannon. I don't believe she has any self worth. I don't believe she has any self esteem. I actually believe that Shannon is one of those women who will, you know, she'll be sad about feeling bad and then you know, she Giselle was like, listen, you're too fabulous for this, and then she'll almost parrot it, you know, like oh, yeah, I'm too fabulous, but she doesn't really believe that yeah, And so it's like, well, you can't talk yourself into feeling fabulous. If that worked, i'd be out of a job. So I think that Shannon, really, if I'm being honest, people who overutilize alcohol to the point where it's created some consequences, right like if UI or something like that. Alcohol is a depressant, and it literally makes people feel depressed, It makes them emotionally volatile, it can make them you know it what you experienced with your husband. I'm sure that you kind of know what I mean here. But there's just like a thunk. People who use a lot of alcohol are in a lot because it's just so toxic and unhealthy for us. And so I think that she doesn't give herself the chance to have clarity, Like if she had the DUI and then use the opportunity to really put the alcohol down and just assess temporarily, I think that she would be in a much better position. Number one and number two, I'm going to go out on the limb and say, I actually think Love Hotel was a bad idea for Shannon personally. Maybe professionally was a great idea, but I think after John Jansen, she's just too triggered. She's triggered by all of it, by you know, not feeling wanted, not feeling like she can catch up with I mean, but like you said, I would feel the same way. I'm like a grandma compared to lou Ayne, and she's so much older than me. I'm like, that is so rude, So I can understand how it feels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think you're right.
Speaker 2: I think it was a bad choice for her, especially if they're filming right at a pivotal time where it's one year since her DUI, which is going to bring up all this shit for her.
Speaker 1: And I did hear Ashley.
Speaker 2: On Watch What Happens Live the other night made a really good analogy about the four of them being the sex in the city, and lou Ayne is obviously Samantha, right, and Shannon is obviously Charlotte right, and Gizelle is obviously Miranda, and then Ashley is like, and I'm Carrie, you know she But I was like, that is so good that is so good. But I think that Shannon probably is like they're like they're gonna throw her a bone and film something with her and all that it.
Speaker 1: I'm like, it wasn't the right time for her. Now, I don't know. I haven't you know, watched Ahead.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't get screeners, so I just like watch it when it comes on Monday like everybody else.
Speaker 3: Or baby, I'm not that important. No one sends me a screener, no one.
Speaker 2: No, no, I asked, and I get told no, I always ask. They did send me Salt Lake City screeners. So I'm hoping though, So I don't know how I got in with the Salt Lake City person that likes me. But each show is different and you have to ask for each show, and each person can tell, you know, like John Hill told me, and John Hill works on Radio Andy, that for every show that comes out, he has to ask every single time, every single season, for every single show. John Hill, yeah, he said he has to like call the blow Deck person and say, I need to get Blowdeck screeners, and I.
Speaker 1: Need to get Below Deck Australia screeners.
Speaker 2: I need to get Oh, Miami's coming out, don't forget to send me screeners is every time every season he asks us every time.
Speaker 3: Well that feels less bad because chut to me, you and John Hill are legends. So I'm like, well, if y'all can't get.
Speaker 2: Screeners, no, no, no, no. He gets all the screeners, but I don't. But they did give them to me for Salt Lake now probably, But I wrote to ask if I could get screeners for The Valley so that I have my episodes out super early, and they just went back and said no, We're just keeping a tight list on who can get screeners.
Speaker 1: For the Valley.
Speaker 2: He's like, okay, great, they say no, and you just the next show comes out and you try for that one.
Speaker 1: I'm just like, okay, that's right, doing your bust. Aren't we all doing my best? All right?
Speaker 2: Let me see what I want to ask you else about Love Hotel? What about Okay? What do you think about Earl? Do you think girl's going to get voted off? What do you think is in that letter that she gave him this week? Because she looked very proud of herself or handing him this letter, and he looked like he like broke into tears. So what do we think is in that letter.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is my theory. And again, since we don't get screeners, we have no idea if I'm correct, But I believe that Shannon the other guy. So remember how Shannon picked And I'm not remembering any of these men's names.
Speaker 1: I've got I've got a list.
Speaker 3: So okay, So the one that Shannon initially gave her key to, but then now he's with Countess Luann. He always says I love my life. Who's that guy?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: That guy is James and Kate Casey has inside scoop that he is a total loser with no job.
Speaker 3: I mean, doesn't he give those vibes like he gives it was like a guy who loves Margaritaville and loves just like being on the beach drinking and being like, I love my life. You know what I mean. Yes, that's the vibes.
Speaker 1: He's from Santa Monica.
Speaker 2: He's an entrepreneur, and he he's the I love my life.
Speaker 1: But he went to USC so that's what he bonded with Shannon.
Speaker 3: Over right, But now Shannon is gravitating towards the.
Speaker 2: Adam Adam and he's the worldly guy that like went to Oxford and went to Yale and lived in Italy, and he's like over.
Speaker 1: Educated that guy.
Speaker 3: Right. Yeah, So Adam, Countess Lwanne, and Shannon were walking and so Shannon was so she literally was like, I'm done with Earle. Let me move on to Adam. And then Adam said, this was the moment I knew he was done with her. He told Shannon, if you and Countess Luanne were one woman, you would be my perfect woman. And I was like, bye, Adam, bye, bye, see you later, you dumbass, No, what are you even talking about? You do? It was so rude and so but here's the thing. Shannon is like, she's not like Countess luwan Countess Luan. She's like, who cares, I'm just trying to get you know, I'm just trying to get my needs met, which, like Kine good for her, But for Shannon, she was like I she thought she was going from Earle to to Adam, and now she's done with Adam. And I believe the note says will you be my something or other? Like I think she's choosing him and she's gonna eliminate Adam, That's what I think. And he's so overwhelmed with like shock and gratitude because he thought he was done.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a great theory. That's a that's a that's a flipping and reverse it. I didn't think about that, but you could be right. The tears could because he's so grateful that he's getting the second chance. And but listen, they're never gonna work out. Where does he live? Earl lives in He lives in Atlanta. He like lives on a lake. He's got the stupid, weird shoes, and I think she purposely picks that. In my opinion, everybody's feelings are different. My opinion, the least attractive man. She picked him because she was like, the least attractive guy will light me. That's like me when I was growing up and there there's a boy band or a rock band, i would pick what I deemed to be the least attractive member of Guns n' Roses or whatever, and I'd be like, that's my boyfriends, you know what I mean, because I'm like, I could never get the lead singer. So I think Shannon does that. She's like, Okay, all these guys. Earl he is a legal consultant. He's probably pretty successful, but he's not very cute, So I'm going to go for him because I know I could get him.
Speaker 3: That's that fully a great First of all, Mary Payne, you deserve lead singer energy, okay, number one snap.
Speaker 2: Okay, no, no, I'm definitely like the bass player or the keyboarder.
Speaker 3: Okay, fine, But I'm just saying you deserve no scraps, my dear. But I fully agree because remember Giselle, they were talking about how Earl's her safety net, and so I knew as soon as Adam said that thing that was so rude that she was like, all she had was Earle. She has no other connections or roads to any other guy.
Speaker 2: She doesn't even know that the ladies had a meeting and decided to give Adam to her. And I think when she sees that, because I doubt we're going to get a reunion, when she sees that, her feelings is going to be like that would that would hurt my feelings so bad, be like, oh, they think I'm such a loser that they're giving me some guy I can't get him on my own.
Speaker 3: But I think that's how she's already feeling. I think she'll be very upset when she sees it, but it's like a literal representation of how she feels inside. And that's truly what happened. Shannon is just getting seconds of what these other women don't want, and that has got to be a blow to her already, just like really terrible self esteem. And it bums me out because I want fabulous women to believe that they're fabulous, because I think that if she did, she'd probably utilize alcohol less than she does. I think, I mean, people don't drink a lot because they're super happy.
Speaker 2: That's right, Oh, they really don't. They might have a drink when they're super happy, but they don't.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this too.
Speaker 2: Louis talked about this she's on a seven year cycle, because she was like, you know, I'm on the seven year cycle, and then the birthday in the seven seventeen. We've never really seen Luyne ever have an emotion like that where she actually got sort of choked up about like a family situation, like we've never seen it.
Speaker 1: I've never seen it.
Speaker 2: Saying she had to like put herself in the bathroom and like pull herself together talking about because they said, oh, something that she goes well, I was married for seven years and divorced, and then I was with this guy for seven months and now I'm on the seventh year of that. That whole thing really means I've never heard of such is the seven year cycle something that you've heard of before.
Speaker 3: So I haven't heard of that specific thing, but it does make sense that, you know, and I don't know if this is true or not. Physiologically, our bodies like every like certain amount of years, like cells regenerate and things, you know, our bodies change, and so if that stands to be true, why not the same thing for our mental health. So it's not like there's something I've studied about this or like a major theory that I'm aware of. But I definitely think that the whole cycle thing speaks to how if we don't, if we don't look at underlying issues that are leading us, Yeah, there's going to be repetitive behaviors that kind of boomerang around back to us. I like to say sometimes it's the Universe's way of saying, well, you know, you're you don't get away without you know, this hit in your head in the head again for you know, the seventh time, or whatever I want. Because Countess Lewann doesn't give me the sense again of someone who's incredibly comfortable with her emotions, and so and again, I think she drank overutilized alcohol because she struggles to feel those big emotions too, as evidence by you know, having to go into the bathroom finding out that that guy had the same birthday as her dad. Right, it brought up so much grief. So it just tells me that she does have a lot of feelings there that she's in process of or maybe not, but that are maybe leading her to have some repetitive cycles of some behaviors.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting. All these people are so interesting. I'm so happy I got to talk to you about all of them because I'm always like armchair ex for psychoanalyzing everybody. And so, okay, I would like to wrap it up with this. Jack said Jesse really are the same, and that's why they're drawn to each other, and that's why Jesse's always taking up for Jackson all that stuff. But you know, my theory is Jesse's a little smarter. You said, his mask is on just a little tighter. Do you think in the in the terms of sociopaths, psychopath whatever, I definitely think Jackson is there, Jesse, I feel like has a little more and it could just be what we're seeing on TV, but he seems to have a little more paternal feelings or you know, really being into like his kid and stuff of what we're seeing on TV. Now Michelle will tell you like, yeah, okay, great, not so much. He does like the kid with the nanny all the time. What are your thoughts on these two particular guys as far as if they were your clients and you could just broadly diagnose them, if they were how to navigate life.
Speaker 3: If they were my client, they would never come back because I've worked with men like this my entire career, and I've had death threats as a result. Because so again I you know, it's a long story, but I am unable to be manipulated by men like this. I have their number, I understand what's going on. I'm not able to be fooled. And so with someone like this, when you're not able to be fooled, what do they do? They try to like deflect project, well, you used cocaine too, or blah blah whatever. So if they were my client, which they wouldn't be, because I don't think they really want to change. That's the only like when it comes to human beings and the question of can they change, the only real question is like do they want to? Anyone can change under any circumstances if they have the motivation. And I don't believe that Jackson is motivated to change at all. I think that Jax has been rewarded for his bad behavior by becoming famous because of it. I believe that Jesse. Here's what I'll say about Jesse. I think he feigns more care and kindness and awareness, but I don't believe he actually possesses those things because, for example, when he went on Watch What Happens Live, he continued to kind of blame shift about his behaviors to Michelle. And so it's like, well, I think Jacks and Jesse are both two people that present differently but have very similar pathology. I can't necessarily give a diagnosis, because again that wouldn't be ethical, but I can definitely say that there is antisocial behaviors. There is for sure a lot lack of empathy. And especially here's what I would argue with Jesse. Right, Jesse seems like more of a present parent, seems being the key word, because if he, in my opinion, really cared about his daughter, he would probably treat the mother of his daughter right differently, because what happens is kids don't learn how to teach others from what they're told. They learn by modeling and watching. And so I think I'm going to stick with my previous assessment, which is I think that Jesse's mac mask is just a fixed tighter and it slides less often. Jack's doesn't care if the mask comes off because Bravo pays him to take it off.
Speaker 2: Until it's still Brittany finally told production what was going on and threatened his job, and that's that's what he's mad about. He's not mad that she said he did cocaine and anything. She's mad that his job is threatened.
Speaker 3: So what does that tell you about Jacks? He literally care. Yeah, he only cares about himself. And let's not forget. Do you remember one time Jacks was asked the question of like, if you were dying of had like a terminal illness, what would you do? And he said he would off a bunch of people because he wanted to know what it felt like.
Speaker 1: That's, uh, that sounds about right.
Speaker 2: That would be your mean who would have that thought?
Speaker 3: And that's my point. It's like, and I don't think he says these things for shock value. I think he just is. He doesn't need his mask because people like on Watch What Happens Live, they did a poll about like all the valley men and who would want to date who. There were fourteen percent of people that chose Jax and Jesse. And I said, fourteen percent of these people need to get to therapy a Saparina because that is the wildest choice after.
Speaker 1: Watching these men.
Speaker 3: But to point, sometimes when we're young, insecure, we think, oh, maybe I could get to Jack's, maybe I could get a Jesse. I'd let him abuse me because you know it would make me feel something.
Speaker 1: And then I'll be famous too.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, well, I think the difference between Jesse and Jackson's You'll see Jesse this past episode said, you know, Michelle's got these deep seated hatred towards me.
Speaker 1: And I have no idea why.
Speaker 3: And you're like, bro, I literally wrote that, Mary Payne, I wrote, I wrote it, and then I wrote, bro.
Speaker 2: I was like, I didn't know, that's exactly what I wrote. That's exactly what.
Speaker 3: I wrote, I wrote, next, but bro, I.
Speaker 1: Love, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: And then but then on the other hand, Jacks will say, I mean, Brittany's really mad at me, and of course she has every reason to me I've been a terrible husband. But I mean, you know, at the same time, she's not a great wife. So he'll say the right thing, say the right thing, and then he can't just stop. He has to then say but that she did it too. I mean, he can't just say she has every reason to be mad at me, I get it, and then stop.
Speaker 1: He has to go.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, she's been terrible, you know what I mean, where Jesse just seems to be like on a planet clueless. Oh no, no, no, blame on himself for what he's done.
Speaker 3: No, And that's why Jesse, like I said, he feigns accountability like Hill when he woke up after like his drunken like bloomer freak out, like he was like, I understand now that I was wrong, but you know it really was Michelle's fault. And it's like, then you don't understand that you were wrong. So I definitely think that when I'm all for people going into treatment, you know, sobriety, recovery, whatever that looks like for them. But based on behaviors, I can tell you that Jax is no different than he was before, right, And.
Speaker 2: She says, that's what Brittany says. She says, I guess he's sober, but he's literally the exact same person. I go, yeah, he is.
Speaker 3: And sometimes people get quote unquote they get sober, but really what happens is they're dry. Sobriety is a process of significant self exploration and work on yourself. It's tedious, it's hard. It's the hardest work people have ever done. Your husband could attest to that, and it's not hard to take the substance away and to have all the same behaviors that you had as an addict. That's being dry, that's not being sober. And so again, I can't say I don't know, but Jack's behaviors tell me that he's not working a program where he is looking to be accountable for things, because a true accountability lies in I did this, full stop. It doesn't matter what someone else does. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and that is the end of it. It doesn't matter if someone accepts the apology. It doesn't matter what the person did. It's solely on me. And when Jesse and Jacks can take that route, then to me, that will be a sign that something shifted. Until that point, they are just a revolving door of bullshit. Yep.
Speaker 2: Well amen, oh I got that's a good place to end it, because wow, yeah, they're revolving doora bullshit.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's just like.
Speaker 2: Jesse jack Jesse Jack's Jesse Jackson just going through that revolving dura bullshit. Tell everybody where they can find you on social media and where they can find your podcast too.
Speaker 3: Sure, so it is your bish therapist podcast. Bish is spelled bish because I can be bitchy, but you know that's not a great handle, So it's your bish therapist.
Speaker 2: But it does it does come from Joe Gorga saying my bitch wife.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right, right, and it was good Amy, So yes, Amy gave me the moniker. Coming from Joe Gorga saying that about Teresa, that for sure a playoff of that. So you can find me on Instagram. That's my biggest social media platform, and my podcast is available anywhere you listen to podcasts. I am on YouTube, I am on Patreon, your bish therapist on Patreon, I am on Blue Sky, TikTok, Facebook, I mean all of the things everywhere. It's always your therapist, always your bisch therapist. My Patreon is subscribers and free members as well, but then the podcast is also completely free. And what I'm doing is I'm offering on Apple podcast, on YouTube and on Patreon. I'm offering subscription services for people, you know, because people really hate ads and things like that. So if you love my podcast and you hate an ad, please sign up. We'd love to have you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, subscribe if you want to get that ad free stuff. I have that too, on my ten dollars level too. I was like, it's all ad free, it's advere, you get the medio everything, advery, advere, advery because people really will complain about an AD.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh sure, will Mary Payne.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, you know, and then guess what, there here's an option for you, right.
Speaker 3: Exactly, because we still got to make that coin, honey.
Speaker 2: Because podcasting at free, agree, and then that's crazy a free and it ain't easy. And everybody, if you're listening here and you don't follow me, please follow me at peink Shade Pod. That's where you can find there'll be a fun real about this. I'll come up with it. I wrote a couple of notes here revolving door bullshit will probably win.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good. That's pretty good. All right, Thank you, Melissa, don't hang out. Thank you, thank you,