Speaker 1: All right. Here on Gun Talk Hunt, we're talking with Greg Ray of Outdoor Solutions and there's a poem about a squirrel and a kum quat. Hey, I'm kJ, dedicated lifelong hunter here. If you've got an interest in all things hunting, you're in the right spot. Whether chasing quill across the plains of Oklahoma, we're in pursuit of belk in the back country of British Columbia, you'll always find me on the hunt. All right, Welcome in, all you gun talk hunters. I am your host, kJ, and I'm not wearing a flat brom hat today, so that's good for most of the yeers out there, because apparently people hate that and I don't know why. It's just it's been my thing forever. But today I'm rocking the old gun talk hat. So today we're going to you know what, I probably better do my sponsors of this show, this wonderful show justice and let you all know that we are brought to you by Ruger and Range. All right, so our guest today, and I'm gonna mix it up a little bit because why not. And we have we have allowed AI to write a short poem about Greg Ray and outdoor solutions. So I asked our producer Paul to come up with the most random thing he could think of, and he came up with kumquat. So I have to work that into a poem. All right, Here's an ode to Greg Ray and outdoor solutions. In the woods where legends roam, Greg Ray built his outdoors home, a guide, a master, a share of skill with outdoor solutions. He climbs every hill amid the pines where shadows curl appeared a feisty little squirrel with a kumquat held tight in his tiny claws. It stopped Greg's trek with nature's laws. That squirrel chattered, bold and spry, Greg Ray, Your aim makes arrows fly, your rifles rain, your hunter thrive. But can you match my squirrely drive with a grin? Greg tipped his hat, little one, let's see about that. He raised the scope. The world went still, precision unmatched, showcasing his skill the cum quat sword. The squirrel leapt high. Outdoor solutions watched under the sky. Your aim supreme, the squirrel declared, Greg Ray. No match could be compared, and so the woods sang songs of lore of Greg Gray's ventures and hunts galore with a squirrel as his witness a cum quot in play, the legend grew stronger of mighty Greg Ray. Can you not love a I thank you Ai? That is like the best introductions from Greg or Greg Gray of Outdoor Solutions, Welcome in.
Speaker 2: Brother, awesome. Of all the podcasts I've done, this is the best intro ever.
Speaker 1: I was sitting here and I was having my computer up, and I was like, man, I bet AI could write one heck of a description of Greg Gray, because you've really done it all. Man, I love it. But yeah, I came up with squirrel and I had Paul, our producer, come up with kumquat. I said. I told him, I was like, dude, what is the most random thing off the top of your head you could come up with right now? He wanted more context, but I wouldn't let him have it, and he came up with kumquat. I was pretty impressive.
Speaker 2: I've never thought about my hunting career being defined by a squirrel and a kum quat. I know that was not on the Bingo card.
Speaker 1: It's not on the Bingo card, but it's there now, so well.
Speaker 2: It was very very good.
Speaker 1: Welcome in man. So tell what have you been doing. I know show season is really kind of kind of tapering down, but your busy season is just now cranking up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. So we've uh trade show season still going on. We leave Monday the head to Utah Salt Lake City for Western Expo, so we will be there for that one. We've actually up to our trade show game a little bit. We're doing one in April, two in August, and I think I think there's another one in there in there as well. But yeah, busy season is raping up. So March we will kick off with a from Field to Table event in Texas, followed by two or three long range classes, and then it just keeps going through actually even the summertime. Usually we kind of get the summertime off, but we even have events going on in August this year.
Speaker 1: Really where they are they held somewhere cool?
Speaker 2: They are Gellette, Wyoming.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Yeah, man, I've been there. I've been there in August and it's brutal in Gellette.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, well different kind of brutal than Talls, Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: That is true. That is true. Well, give us a background of outdoor Solutions because when you kind of first started this, it didn't It seems like it has evolved so much and it has grown so much that it's hard to keep up with everything that you guys do right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to. So you and I go way back. Were back to the Blue Hair and Days. Yes, my coasters back there, which is a pr agency that helped keep us in front of people that we needed to be in front of to promote the business. And that's going I mean, that's going way back. We started in October two thousand and four, so last year we had our twentieth anniversary of being in business, and back then we were primarily a booking service. So we've got a network of outfitters that we've worked with for pretty much since the beginning. North America Big Game is really our bread and butter, but we do a little bit of everything. We do some fishing, we do some stuff out of the country, but we would just match people up with outfitters based off of their criteria and we still do that. That's still a large part of our business so well, book hunts and fishing trips for clients they get our website or a lot of repeat business too, and they want to, you know, go on an elk hunt. Lindsay, our hunt manager, ask them the right questions and then get them matched up with the appropriate outfit and then we take care of everything from there with their tags and their license and their gear and getting there all that fun stuff. But where we started evolving and it was getting really close, around the time we started working with Your with with You and Blue Heron back in the day, was around twenty ten twenty eleven. We started our long range shooting schools and we started those in Utah. Those started out of a necessity because we would book people on our hunts, and we would book people from Pennsylvania, Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois. Well, they would want to go out west and they would want to hunt antelope and mule deer and elk, and some of the states don't even have rifle seasons. They've got muzzleloader and slug gun, and so we would prep them for their hunts and tell them say, hey, man, you've got to be pared to shoot out to four hundred yards and the well, I'm shoot a slug gun. We don't do that here. Fifty yards is an average shot for what we do, so we saw a need there. Actually, I'll tell you a quick story, and this is one of my favorite ones. I had a guy I was actually prepping him for a New Mexico an a La hunt and told him he was from Pennsylvania. I said, hey, you need to be prepared to shoot out to four hundred yards and he's like, hell, letting the bullets went that far? So he was he was joking, of course, But anyway, that was a very long time ago. It just kind of stuck with me. That's just kind of evolved over the years. And the the the long range schools themselves are set up specifically four hunters. We're getting them ready for a hunt. It's a three night, two and a half day experience. So they're they're stuck with us and we immerse them in in long range shooting for three days.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's a yeah. I mean, that's a growing thing right now, is the long range precisions shooting. Man any time now. I used to be that guy who was like, man, I would never take a shot over X, like whether it was you know, it depends on what I was doing. It would change. Like I had never had a set like distance at which I was like, I, in any condition, I would take a four hundred yard shot. It always kind of changes given your conditions, how much you've been shooting at those distances. But anymore, man, four hundred yards is almost a standard in which you need to hold yourself to and you know, used to you'd be like, well, if I could shoot a pipeplate, you know, at one hundred yards off hand, I'm good for a ways. Eh, not the same anymore, Like everything's changed, It's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's a lot different. So our Level one class that's at two one thousand yards, that's on steel, And we even say in our promotional pieces, we're not advocating a shooting at animals out of thousand yards. There's people that could do it, and they could probably do it every time. That's not what we advocate. What we're teaching people is that you learn to shoot at that steal target at one thousand yards, which is just a small part of the class. Whenever that three hundred yard, four hundred yard, five hundred yard shot presents itself, you're gonna be a lot more educated, You're gonna know what your capabilities are, You're gonna be more ethical hunter and we're gonna have less wounded animals. And that's that's what the class is for. And it's not just coming sitting on a bench and pulling the trigger kind of what you just said. You know, we used to the pipe leek, the paper plate was always kind of the standard. You hit it, hey, I'm good to go. It's it's it's completely different now and so that's we work on a lot of things. Of course, all your basics. We actually have a course. We did an ebook with a video series that is basically shooting one on one uh, and it just covers all things how to do a proper cheek well, trigger squeeze, I relieve, breathing, trigger squeeze, just you know, just a lot of a lot of the basic stuff. So we spend a lot of time on that because if you don't have that foundation, then you know, it's kind of like building on the House of cards analogy.
Speaker 1: Man, I mean shooting on a I mean shooting instinctively and like more guy, we're seeing more shooters because we do a range ready here and it's way different than what you guys are doing. But what is interesting is we hear that all the time, Well, I shoot like I'm a shooter. I you know, my granddad taught me how to shoot, and I've been shooting my entire life. Well, man, it just things have shifted so much where precision really matters. It matters more now than anything, and that's with gear. But man, it all starts you're right with those fundamentals. And I had a guy sit there and try to convince me that it's OK as long as the gear is good. Your fundles fundamentals aren't all that don't need to be all that precise. And man, I went back to him and said, look, I've taken multiple long range classes, multiple and they all teach like all most the same thing, but it's all basics. It's all fundamentals. Where you sit there and you go they you know, they'll they're marketing will say, oh, you're going to learn all this, but it's all fundamentals like if you get master those, you're good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So we that's that's a great point. So with what we do when we go out on hunts and wearing camps with our clients, that and then that's not all the time. We don't actually go on everyone when we send people out, but we also hear from our outfitters, and you'll ge guys that will show up with a eight thousand, nine thousand dollars gun Works, which we use. We use Gunworks in our classes as one of the manufacturers. But they think that's all they need. They don't have to spend the other end. I got a nine thousand dollars gun, I don't know, I don't put point it in point shoot and they want more animals than anybody else because they don't spend the time working on what you just said.
Speaker 1: I will say this, I used to be that guy. I used to be the guy who said, you know what, if it's more expensive, it's got to be a better shooter. And it never helped. I always encountered the same problems. It wasn't until I started taking classes, like an Outdoor Solutions class that I started to realize it's not it's not the arrows, it's it's it's the Indian like it's that's what makes it work. That's that's all that it is.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, no, no, And that's that is a prime example of why our classes are three nights, two and a half days. Yeah too, because you're not going to pick it up and just in just one day.
Speaker 1: I wish your class was a week long because the amount of information that you guys are dumping onto folks is the amount of information I wouldn't say dump. The amount of information that you are providing and the professionalism that you're providing. You could really learn even more in a like five day class, but the amount that you're going to walk away going, oh my gosh, there's so much more out there. That's how I feel there is.
Speaker 2: So here's one things that we do to combat that because we hear that a lot. So we do a couple of things. One, we produce a ton of videos and we put them on our YouTube channel, and we actually send them like that ebook that I was just talking about, We actually send that to them before they go to the class, so they're kind of pre prepped, but then they can use that as a follow up as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then the other thing that we do that we're really really good at. It cost us a lot. Those long range classes are not inexpensive, but we have by far the best instructor to student ratio out there. So I don't have one instructor taking care of ten.
Speaker 1: Guys man, so are huge.
Speaker 2: Our MAX class is on our level one is fourteen students, so it means that there's seven on the line at one time. For those seven, I'm going to have a minimum of three instructors that are on the line. A lot of times I'll have four, so it's a two to one or even better ratio because you're gonna get we get a lot of people that are are brand new to this, like they show if they don't they bought their first rifle yet. And that's that's why we provide everything. So we provide the firearms, the optics, the ammo, and it's all top quality stuff. I mean just you know, some of the best of the best of the manufacturers. Doesn't mean it's all super expensive like the gun Works I was talking about it. You know, we have production line stuff too, you know, from like Browning, Remington, Bonelli.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh. And then then you go on up into some of the others the Fierce's Christians and Arms, gunn Works all tearra uh seekins, you know, so there's there's a lot of them there. And then the optics, we're just using factory ammunition. We partner with Federal, so we've got it's not handloads or anything. Just to show that you can just go buy something right off right from your favorite uh sporting good store, buy a box of AMMO, and do and replicate what we're doing on the range.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you think about it like that's the best way to to do it is to do it almost as a ground up because show them what it is capable. But it sounds like you guys are providing them enough information to hang themselves. Because if you wave a gun works rifle in front of me, I'm probably gonna go, wow, I'm gonna have to like spend some money. I'm gonna have to get rid of some stuff because I want that gun because it is a if your fundamentals are right, and this could be true along along line of guns. You were talking about Browning, you were talking about Seekins, you were talking about Savage. All of those guns they have the capabilities to do the same thing that high level gun does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it just it just a matter of bells and whistles and what you like. And you know, if you shoot something enough, and this is anything against a production model, everybody's got different budgets and uh, you know, so if you take that, like you mentioned Savage, you take that savagey, it's gonna do the same thing as gun works. It may not, you know, it's not gonna be exactly, but it's gonna it's going to kill animals. Uh. And if you shoot it a lot, it may not be as comfortable, uh and may not last as long as there's you know, there's some different things like that, but at some point there is a diminishing point of return. At some point. You know, is that extra three thousand dollars that you just spent going to make me, you know, that much better? Probably not, but it's comfort. It's got some comfort features.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that always yeah.
Speaker 2: Ney different than you know. I drive an F two fifty and I get from point A to point B. But you know I could.
Speaker 1: Also could you do it in a in a little uh smart car? Yeah? You could hard to halt helk.
Speaker 2: In a smart car.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, I mean I would love to see that. I bet there is a meme out there with that on it, even a YouTube video that probably is all right, hey, we're gonna we're gonna take a real quick break here.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And when we jump back in. Man, I want to hear some new shooter stories because those always entertain me, uh, because I used to be one. All right, All that with Grey Gray from Outdoor Solutions right after this. All right, we're talking about one of my absolute favorite hunting suppressors. This one is developed for that back country guy. That's the banished back country. So if you want to be stealthy in the field, you gotta go lighter, you gotta go smaller. We understand that that's where the banished back country really steps up. Designed for the ultimate portability and maximum noise reduction, the Banished Backcountry suppressor ensures you stay quiet and undetected in the wilds. Silencer Central makes it effortless to own because it delivers right to your doorstep. This is the beauty of what Silencer Central does. They contact you. You contact them like you get it bought, You get everything taken care of, and it one day you get a little email that says you know what your suppressor is on the way, and that's when it shows up on your door and you can rest easy knowing that you will be quiet in the field, hunt smarter and quieter with a banished backcountry Visit silencercentral dot com to start your journey. It's time to prepare for the shot of a lifetime. Whether you're a season hunter or new the sport preparation is key. I preach it all the time. At range Ready Studios, we offer the training you need to make that shot of a lifetime. Chris Serino is on staff and he has a host of instructors on hand to provide personalized trainings in state of the facilities and practical exercises that build your confidence and skills. From precision marksmanship to quick target acquisition. We've got you covered. Don't leave your success to chance. Visit range Ready Studio Unmatched precision with the Ruger American Gen two in the heart of the wilderness, precision matters. Ruger introduces the American Gen two rifle, designed for hunters who demand excellence. The roof your American Gen two offers enhanced accuracy, smooth bolt action, and durable design. It's the perfect companion for any hunting expedition, providing reliable performance every time you pull the trigger. Trust the Ruger American Gen Too to deliver win it counts. Visit Ruger dot com to learn more and find you your next hunting rifle. All right, we're back with Greg Ray of Outdoor Shooting or outdoor Solutions, not outdoor shooting solutions. Outdoor Solutions, and you can find out more at Outdoor Solutions corp dot com to learn how to become a better shooter, learn how to book your next hunt. They do a little of everything, but I really want to focus on, like, let's talk about some stories that you've had from the field. Let's start with the success stories, because I think that's where we really kind of want to like pick up and show some of those success stories that you guys have had over the years. Are there any that's stand out?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, yeah, one one in one in particular before I start in that story. So our our reward with what we do is is somebody that comes in that's like brand new to shooting, not even just necessarily long range, but they they come in and like you're showing them which end that you need to point down range and how to load it, and then like you're going you're going through the fundamentals, and they are so intimidated whenever they start, and they're visibly nervous. But all all of our instructors, everybody on the team is just so cool, even though they've got all the cool pedigrees you know, we've got the Navy Seals and the Green Berets and uh, you know, we've we've got all all the cool guys. But they know they're not in the military anymore. They're they they all have certain say they don't have egos. They all have egos, but they keep checked. But they're they're just super nice. They're just really cool guys and they love to we love to instruct. But at the end of at the end of day three, Uh, seeing the confidence in that new in that new shooter and you know they're in that thousand yard target or they're hitting targets from you know, different positions, Uh, that that they didn't even know existed, and uh, just seeing the confidences is huge. But one of my all time favorite stories is actually he just called me the other day and he came to class. It's probably been six years ago that he came to a class and he called and booked two hunts with us. He says, I want your absolute best elk count that you've got, and he booked something else to a New Zealand red Stack. So anyway, he books it and we send him the He lives in Texas and we emailing the paperwork and everything. Well, then he calls me. He's like, hey, uh, I want to get that payment to you. He says, I'm in Broken Arrow, which is where I live, Broken Air, Oklahoma. Can I bring you out your office? Well? We office from home, and I don't want people coming to my house and saying, how about how about I meet you at Best Pro It's right through it, And so he's like sure, uh, so wing that up. I pull up and I actually get it. I'm just sitting back to my tailgate and I see this guy walking across the parking lot, long, long hair, He's got motorcycle leathers on, he's got patches all over it, and as he's getting closer me, he's got like a bunch of ear rings in his ear and I'm like, yeah, this ain't my guy. Yeah. He walks up and he's like now what she was expecting? Hunh? And like him, he's like, yeah, well no, but hey, if you like to hunt, you're that's that's good with me. We visited for a little he I can't remember which he was like one of the big wigs in him, like a major motorcycle gang. It wasn't the Hell's Angels, but it was another one that was like along along those lines, you know. And anyway, he booked that hunt and then we started talking on the on the phone and I was like, dude, so you you really need to come to a long range school class because he just spent I forgot what it was, like fifteen grand. It was like, yeah at that time, the top of the outcomes that we had. And so he's like, oh, man, I just spent all this money. And he's like, hell, you know, what's what's another another three grand? So he comes to our class and I actually end up teaching him personally. Okay, and uh at this point he had gotten his haircut already. Uh most of the I either all of most of the ear rings were gone. Anyway, he told me, he's like yeah, He's like, man, I'm you know, it was definitely part of a you know, bad group of guys. Uh. I still like to rive, but he says, I need, you know, I need to get away from that stuff. And he was remember he was like like president of the chapter or something like that.
Speaker 1: So he turns to hunting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he turns to hunting, and of course, in the back of my mind thinking how does how does I wonder how he got all this money motorcycle gang maybe maybe not legit. And so anyway, he's like, so, saus, I lost my wife just not too long ago, and he said literally in her hospital bed, he said, she handed me an envelope and he opened it and inside it was a insurance policy and she said, this money whenever I go is for you to do your dream hunt. That's all you can spend it on. You can't spend it on anything else. Her name was Laura, and I was like, dude, that's that's freaking amazing. So Laura passed away, and he has a necklace with a Kevin medallion thing on that has some of her ashes in it, and on that hunt he took her ashes.
Speaker 1: All that's amazing.
Speaker 2: And anyway, at about eight o'clock in the evening, this is a couple of months later, I got a phone call and it's Ken and he's like, dude, I did He's like out of breath and he's like, I did it. I did it. I dropped at five hundred and forty seven yards and then it rolled all the way down at the bottom. He's on the mountain. He had just shot it. That was his first phone call and he starts crying. I get teared up, and he's like, man, I god's man. I knew exactly what to do and I dropped it with one shot and he was just a static. Anyway, we used to touched over the years after that, and he literally just called me last week and I ain't talked to him. It's probably been seven eight months I've talked to him. But he's one that definitely stands out. And then there's other stories of people that just you know, they've made incredible shots, they've gotten awesome animals, and you know, a trip of lifetime kind of stuff. Yeah, Ken's story is definitely one. It's gonna be hard to top.
Speaker 1: See, I don't know, and I prep like this. I prep exactly. How Greg is telling you right now is if I'm going on a major hunt, I am going to go get tuned up by somebody, not myself. I'm having someone else watch me. And I think that's one of the reasons that I think adding on a shooting portion or a shooting training program like Outdoor Solutions has done, is pretty brilliant, because if you're going on that hunt of a lifetime, why the hell would you not get tuned up and be and be confident in the gear that you're shooting. I wouldn't. I don't understand that.
Speaker 2: We I'll tell you another a real short story. So we had another client that had been on They had just booked elk counts with us, and he had gone to the same place three years in a row, missed all. Actually I take them back, he missed two of the years. One year he didn't take the shot because he wasn't comfortable with it. It was and it wasn't like super far. It was like four hundred and something, but he just wasn't he wasn't comfortable with it. And so Lindsay, our big game manager, Tom, was like, you need to go to a long range class and get prepped. And finally the fourth year he did, he came to a class and again he got his stealth, you know. So uh yeah, And that's so. And that's one of the things that we do in the classes too, is we we teach. We we have you learn or practice like what the real word world scenario is going to be. It's not just sitting on a bench. So the first day is but then the second day, one of our properties we've got three miles of the cap Rock Canyon and we've got three D animal targets scattered all throughout the canyon, and so you're having a glass for them and find them. They have still vitals behind them. So whenever, whenever you connect, if you hit the vibles, you'll get that report back. If you just hit it in the backside or a leg or something, you're you're not but you're shooting off your shooting sticks, off your backpack, prone off of some deadfall or natural terrain. Just we just try to replicate hunting scenarios the best we can without live animals.
Speaker 1: So what's the what's the hardest thing for people to learn? You can't say wind, you can't say no, I knew that was what you're gonna say. That's still the hardest thing for me to get. Man. Yeah, aside from wind, we should phrase it like that.
Speaker 2: So I really think that the hardest thaying is is really for the experienced hunters. The new The new shooters coming in don't have any bad habits. So the hard thing is the experienced shooters coming in uh and and breaking their old habits. I've got a I've got a buddy Mike longtime hunt. He's been hunting longer than than I have. And he's he's a decent shot. He's a pretty good shot, but he's not as good as he thinks he is.
Speaker 1: And I hope, yeah, I hope.
Speaker 2: I hope he does too. But uh, And he was like, dude, he says, I'm doing something wrong. He's I don't know what it is. And we were going on a hunt together. He was actually bringing a group to Texas, and so we went to the range and I just set my camera actually I think I had my phone and a video d and all he was doing is getting behind the scope and we're I think we're only shooting a couple hundred yards boom, and he's looking up over the back of his scout. He's not following through at all. He's not staying in his gun boom, and he's popping up side. Just I just videoed it. He's like, so what do he thinks? And I just showed him the video and he was like he knew exactly what it was. He was like, I'm not following through it all. So he stayed down in this gun and he got back on track. And but we'll actually we've had instance, I've actually had a guy literally argue with me. And I'm not gonna know it all I've learned from our our instructors. They have forgotten more than I will ever know, but I've learned some. I've learned some stuff from these guys. I literally had one guy argue with me on our day two stuff at our Utah location. He's a real tall dude. I'm six six or so. He was a really big guy. And so we're shooting off of off of a tripod in a sitting position, and you know, he's big, and so he's doing this, He's crouching his neck way over to get to his wet sid. I was like, we need to raise your sticks up. No, I need to lower it down. I'm like, now you don't. He's like yeah, I know. He's like I got this. I got this. Yeah, and somewhat okay. Well, on the day too, we give them two shots at each target because at an animal, most of time you're get more than two shots unless they're really dumb animal, you know. So he has two shots and I just took a shoot and said okay, and you go into the next station. And he went on, did his thing. Well, then we you know, we moved to different stations, and at the next station he came up. He's like, you're right. He's like, I'm sorry about that. Yeah, he's I mean, don't I don't know. I don't know what I was second. All it was was just building this position up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's one of the hardest things for people to get used to. I think too, is building a building a solid position. Especially you know you're talking about longer range shooting. You'll have a little bit of time. You know, those those elk aren't right on top of you, mule, there aren't right on top of you, So you know your time to build a solid shooting position using everything you have within your reach and grasp and your pack and everything else you're hunting buddy, like you can use your guide like man, building that position is one of the most detrimental things that you can do before the shot.
Speaker 2: Yep. But yeah, So to answer your question, it's it's the guys with that've been done it for a while to have some habits and getting them getting them out of their habits is probably probably the hardest thing.
Speaker 1: It's hard to break those habits that you've for so long. That's one of the I'm still dealing with some issues. I mean, and you know, when you're my dad, Like when I was growing up, Like the first pistol I ever shot was a forty five ATV like and I was probably like eleven years old. I had no business, you know, at my size, Like, I had no business doing that.
Speaker 2: And that's too much gun for a little guy.
Speaker 1: Way too much gunyah. And that's why, man, like when I take my kids out or something like, I want to instill confidence. I want them to come back out and do it. So I'll start them slow and I'll get them into it. And man, I have so many bad habits that I need to get out of. But but every training class is an opportunity for me to get those out of my head.
Speaker 2: Well, and you can, and as many classes as you've been to, I know you can attest to this. So uh, you know a lot of them, like you said, teach the same thing, but each instructor, like each one of our instructors different. You'll pick up a different tip from a different instructor. Even going to going back to the same class that maybe you did the year before. You right, some some little some little something. So the one thing that I think, uh, that's probably seems to be the hardest for most people is the grip that we teaches most of especially if you're shooting a big you know, three hundred win mag or twenty that grill a grip point. Man, you're hanging hanging on to it. So get them to relax, and we teach them to roll that thumb over onto the side and point it down with the barrel. And it's awkward, you know, it feels up there.
Speaker 1: It's great because things going to kick. Yes, yeah, I don't want to eat me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we teach them how to manage recoil with that. But that's probably the biggest one, and some people it just won't work for you know what. We're not trying to make them shoot exactly how I shoot, or how steam shoots or that kind of thing. You know, if wrapping that thumb over works for them, then it works for him, that's that's fine. Would show them another option, but that seems to be the most uncomfortable form.
Speaker 1: So let's say someone's listening to this, and what if they don't book a hunt with you? Can they still take the outrange the long range courses.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. So we have we have with people come that aren't even hunters, they just they just love to shoot and they want to learn. They want to learn some new new techniques. We have people that are just curious, you know, just uh man, I want to shoot out to a thousand yards or our next level class we shoot out to a mile you know. So uh yeah, absolutely, they can just come and learn for the for the fun of it, or if they have their own hunt booked, which we get a lot and we get a lot of di y people. You know, they're they're going somewhere and doing a hunt on their own, and they just want to be prepared. And that's one of the things that we do. Also, even if it's not booked with us, we'll ask them like, hey, are you prepping for a specific hunt, because we may give them some different tips if they're hunting for mule deer in some steep angled high country versus that they're hunting for an antelope and a sagebrush flat.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's some different different shooting positions.
Speaker 1: And I can't don't go to his website. I'm gonna just go ahead and tell you that, right now, don't go to Outdoor Solutions Court dot com. Don't go if you like hunting Big Game, You're gonna see everything from African Plans, game, alligator, antelope, aw Dad, black bear, cariboo. I mean, and like from A to Z. You've got everything in there, and you've got wolf hunts Uriel like, you've got everything, man like. And I'm looking at this going ooh, I want one of those. I still do that you do?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah?
Speaker 1: So hey do they invite you on the hunts? Like do you get to go on these hunts?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So that's that's what I was just gonna saying. The cool thing is about every outfit that we represent, either myself or Lindsay has been there. So we've been there, done that. So Lindsay has been with us. We started the company in two thousand and four, he's been with us since two thousand and six. He knows that side of that. He runs the whole side of the business. He knows it way better than I do. And he's been to a lot of them, and then I been to quite a few of them as well.
Speaker 1: So and it's I'm telling you, it's not only it's not only Big Game it's turkey, it's up when it's waterfowl. Like, man, you guys have got a lot of options. So so let's say there's an outfitter out there. Let's say there's an outfitter who listens to this channel. Thank you, by the way, there's probably one out there, But can they become part of your network? And how would they do that? Like? How how does that work?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah, absolutely, so we're actually looking for good, solid outfitters and so yeah, absolutely, get our a website, give our office a call and I will talk to you personally on the phone, or Lindsey will and find out if it's more than likely it is something we need. Inventory is a thing that we is an issue that we run into now because doing this for twenty years, our repeat business is really really high, Lindsay is customer services second to none, and so that our repeat business is extremely high. And yeah, so we're always looking for good, good outfitters. It takes a little bit to get them on boarded because unless it comes from a very solid referral, then uh, you know, we're we're going and paying them a visit before uh we start sending clients.
Speaker 1: There. Man, you guys got it all, I mean and you guys. So some of the training courses they've got coming up is Built to Hunt Summit in twenty twenty five. That's June fifth through eight in Preston, Idaho.
Speaker 2: That's a new one. That's pretty new.
Speaker 1: That was really fun.
Speaker 2: We this one, this one's going to be a blast. We've never done this one before. We partnered with Hunt and full on that one, which they've they've been around forever as well, and this is going to be an introduction to all things Western hunting. So our team starting from day one, and we talked about this year, we have a program called from Field to Table. We have three shots on our team and we can talk more than a minute if you want to. But when clients, when clients show up, it's gonna be impressed. In Idaho, beautiful, beautiful ranch. Everybody's gonna bring their their hunting, their camping gear, what that you know, they're hunting gear whatever that they would stay overnight. And we do have some cabins there, but honestly, most of our our staff and sponsors and we'll have media there as well. We'll have some TV channels or some TV shows, some YouTubers, some outdoor riders. Uh will be a do you know guys, I know, guy, I know, Uh, maybe we need to have you come out so uh anyway, it'll start with our chef. The very first thing that we're going to do is uh, Chef Aubert is going to show everybody how to uh feel, dress and skin a deer from a chef's perspective. So that'll be the first thing that we do. Onyx is going to be there. It's gonna be one of our partners in this. We will do an easy event as well. Sorry, that's my it's just guard dog.
Speaker 1: That's good. That's good to have those, that's good. You know you're doing land navigation, no electronics. You're gonna learn that. You're gonna learn farms, long range shooting instructions, so that's kind of standard what you guys do. Optics, mounting and maintenance, pack set up in gear selection. That's huge. Yep, we are going this and this this class is only like nineteen hundred bucks, nineteen.
Speaker 2: And fifty bucks. That includes all your foot all your meals too.
Speaker 1: And then wild game processing would use and then Western Application strategy, so you're not only learning like like what to do on your hunt, but how to select those units and Onyx helps with this too, And I'm glad to see you got my gosh, dude, hey, if you have not filled out your media list, I am in awesome.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, let's definitely talk.
Speaker 1: But that is that is a really cool way to do it. How many spots do you guys have open for these typically?
Speaker 2: So we I think we're allowing a total of thirty that includes media. Excuse me, and I don't know, We've got probably I bet we have a dozen to fifteen spots available.
Speaker 1: That's cool right now.
Speaker 2: So and you can sign up right right from the right from the website. But yeah, we're really excited about this. It's just a it's just many seminars. You know, through the you you were going to get your money's worth. Don't come here and think you're just gonna be able to chill out. You're gonna be you're gonna be tired.
Speaker 1: Well when this is an effort, and if I remember, like just just a heads up, like when you go to one of these events when companies that Greg aligns himself with, usually you're not walking home empty handed. You're all you're getting the knowledge, but the companies that usually go to these tend to tend to like you get a little bit of swag with these.
Speaker 2: We've we've got some amazing partners that we've had. We've been partnered with with Zis Binelli and Federal for years and years and years for for a very very long time. Uh. But yeah, so we're going to have competitions. Uh, and there'll be the opportunity for people to build a win some stuff. But yeah, you're one percent right when they whenever they show up, they'll have some nice little bonus gear for them to take home with them.
Speaker 1: My gosh, I love I love that you have Texas Hunter's Prep course on here. I love that. And that's in Spur that you got the Level one long Range Shooting School, which you can take that class every year. You can take it every every stinking year, and you are going to pick up something new and my gosh, dude, you're you're absolutely killing it.
Speaker 2: Man. Those yeah, those those are so much fun. And that that facility that you just mentioned, the one in Spur, Texas brand new. We just did our first complete year last year. We've got ten brand new cabins. Their four hundred square foot two queen beds in each one, private h bathroom in each one.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then we have our chefs that are taking care of all your meals too. So you show up firearms, optics, ammo.
Speaker 1: Whoe, everything's there, dude. You're not offering long range shooting like schools. You're offering long range shooting retreats, an experience that is, it's a retreat. You can do this with your family. You can do this with your wife. And I'm going to tell you right now, Valentine's Day is upon us. What better way to get what you want and to provide her with a new experience?
Speaker 2: There you go. Hey, I like the way you think.
Speaker 1: See all right, greg Man, I really do appreciate you hopping on with us. And uh, even though your shooting skills were definitely tested by a squirrel and a come quiet.
Speaker 2: You you guys me the written the written version of that, I'll send you to you man man kJ I appreciate. It's always good to see you, and I'm sure we'll be talking more soon.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, where can they learn more? Where? What social platforms are you guys on? Where can they find out more about outdoors solutions?
Speaker 2: So we're we're most active on YouTube. We've got a lot of really really cool stuff coming up. I now have Steve Arian, who's our director of training, is back here full time. He's been over in the Sandbox and Iraq for the last six years. He's back here. This dude. Anything that you want to know about any firearm, ballistics, optics, anything, He's just he'll make your eyes glaze over. I did the more one oh one kind of videos. I'm a pretty basic kind of guy, so I explain things that way. But YouTube, we are the most active in just putting Outdoor Solutions. On Instagram, we have two pages there. One is Outdoor Solutions Official, and then for our Field to Table events, which is the butchering, processing and cooking portion of the company with our chefs is OS Underscore from Field to Table Okay. And then of course we're on Facebook.
Speaker 1: Too, OS Underscore Field to Table correct. Man. It's awesome stuff. Man, I'm so happy. I'm so happy we've become friends, like over the years, like it's been amazing. I mean we're going on seventeen years. I think it is crazy. A lot more gray in that beard and a lot more gray in this hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great, Heir and notne here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's retreating, all right, brother, you'd be good man, you good, see you all right, all you gun talk hunters, you know the drill. Keep those muscles pointed in a safe direction, and always be on the hunt.