Speaker 1: Whether you're a seasoned masquerader or just learning what spice Mass is, you are going to finish this episode feeling inspired, empowered, and possibly planning your next trip to Grenada. Carnival is not just about feathers, beautiful costumes and soca. It's about legacy, leadership, and the divine pulse of creativity that drives Caribbean culture forward. This week, we are talking the things with Ebony tell Us Ford, the brilliant CEO behind Lavish the Band, one of the most talked about bands in Grenada's Spice Mass. Ebony is not just leading a mass band, She's reshaping what Carnival looks like, feels like, and means for a new generation. This year, Lavish the Band returns with a beautiful theme Muses the divine inspiration. In a world where creativity fades, a divine awakening begins, Art no longer breathes, and the color of creation begins to blur. But within the heavens lie the Muses, protectors of creativity and champions of the soul. If you're listening to the podcast on Apple Podcast, please remember to rate and leave a comment below. Also, don't forget to follow us on Instagram at Let's Talk the Things. Now, grab your tea, coffee, or a glass of wine and let's talk the things. Hello everyone, Welcome back to another episode of Let's Talk the Things. I'm your Home, Ash, and this week we are talking the things with the founder and CEO of one of the most talked about bands for Grenada, Spice Mass Lavish, the band Ebony tell Us for It. Hi, Ebany, how are you, hi, Ash?
Speaker 2: I'm fine. How are you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm well. Thank you so, I'm so happy you're here. And for our first time listeners and for you being the first time you're a guest on this show. We begin each episode with our listener's favorite segment, and it's called that Nason Safe. So basically, I'm going to read messages or social media posts that listeners sent in and if you think it sounds crazy or a little bit concerning, you would say that no, sounds safe and explain why. And if you agree, you just say you agree and explain why. Just a little icebreaker to get it started. Sounds good, Okay, sounds good. So the first person said, some men send you to pilates in a Mercy Ladies on Tuesday morning while others send you to therapy. Choose wisely.
Speaker 2: Oh girl, that's struck.
Speaker 1: Started out strong, right.
Speaker 2: The first part sounds safe. I like the first part, the last right, we like at the Mercedes. I love a Mercedes. But the stress and therapy, I'm there right now with that. So that's nice.
Speaker 1: And it's true, right, Like it's funny, but it's true. Like you, you have to make choices wisely when it comes to partnerships because who you choose as a partner, even who you choose as friends, can really change the trajectory of your life, right, because it's stress.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I was actually just speaking to a friend last night about this, and I was like, you know, the type of partner that you have really kind of also touch like rub off on your mental health as a person and who you are. Like you can have a very supportive partner and it could be like the highest point in your life where you're achieving everything that you want to achieve, and then you get another partner and then it's like you feel like your ten step backwards.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it's so true. It's so true. So yeah, I'll laugh and joked aside that not so unsafe. You will take the pilates and the Mercedes, but not the Stress.
Speaker 2: No stress.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. All right, So the next one, the person said, imagine giving a priceless piece of art to someone who doesn't know its value. They won't protect it, they won't cherish it, and not because the art isn't valuable, but because they don't recognize it's worth. That's you. You were never too much. You were just in the wrong hands.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't undersize it, Like, did they send you, like to like speak life into me about this like today crazy?
Speaker 1: That's really you're going to make me emotional? Oh god, this is random.
Speaker 2: Whoa. I don't want to get to personal, but it's like I don't like I literal believe. And again it lends into the prior question that you asked earlier. Just having a conversation with a friend before I came on the podcast, and she was trying to speak life into me about this very same thing.
Speaker 1: Hey you are, oh my god, but you can't say that God sent me then Yeah, that's so crazy. So it's safe to say that that's sound safe.
Speaker 2: That song are your safe? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yes, all right. The next person said, as soon as the lips don't match the words on Netflix. I turn it off expeditiously.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so safe.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, that's all sweep. I'm not gonna be I'm not doing that because that puts me off.
Speaker 1: And then it's like it's too much work because it's like the movie will look really good, but then you have to figure out, like, wait, so is that person talking or the other person is talking.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: It's too much work. It's too much work. I can't. I really can't. Bother.
Speaker 2: I agree, yeah, because then I have to I focus, like I look at you, so now I'm more focus on your your mouth. Yeah, I'm not doing it.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, one hundred percent agree. Okay, a couple more. The next person said, not liking soca is a character flaw. I am so sorry.
Speaker 2: Oh hell yeah that's what I said.
Speaker 1: And I will tell you I just started noticing or listening to jab jab and I love that as well. So we have to talk about that too, because that's kind of new to me as a Jamaican. You know, I know, right, I'm so late to the party, but at least I'm at the party. I'm late, but I reach. At least I'm at the party exactly, someone else said West Indian parents will say, pass me the thing and expect you to know exactly what it is.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, triggering, triggering right like literally my dad said that to me the other day and I'm like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: I don't know, and he said a thing, yes. And then when you say that, it's like they get frustrated and it's like, but you're not even telling me what you're talking about. All I suppose to know. You're supposed to read their minds absolutely, like from a tender age until you're big, Like you're supposed to know exactly what they're saying. Yeah, okay, And the last one for this segment, everyone wants a Lamborghini until they realize the effort it takes to maintain one. A forward now that is easy to manage. I mean, I guess what do you think about that? I feel like.
Speaker 2: I feel like it depends on your mindset, because I always say, I say, there's a different and I'm going to use cars just like the same way that they use cars. They use cars or our friends. Okay, I have a dream car for every tax bracket that I'm in, the same way I feel like everything is attainable based on where you are in your life. So right now I want my dream car is a Honda Accord. That doesn't mean that I don't want a Lamborghini or I don't want a Mercedes Bend GT sixty three. That's my but when I get to that point, that's going to be my dream car. Right now, I have my dream car for where I'm at in life, but when I get to the next stage, I have a dream car for that next stage.
Speaker 1: I love that when I did not know I was going to be talking to the Grenadia on OPRAH today, but I love that. No, seriously, I like the way that you kind of flip that and explained it because obviously the person is saying, you know, a Lamborghini to use as an analogy, like, you know, you're worth much more than Afford, but to your point, Afford might be your dream car in that moment, you know, correct, correct? All right, So I hope you enjoyed that. It's always a good time just to like break the ice, and as you can tell, I love to laugh, so I always try to start with a little bit of laughter. So right, so now let's talk the real things. So I'm so excited to have this conversation with you. You are a Carnival queen both literally and figuratively, and a CEO and a creative but before any of those titles, I imagine that you were just a little girl on the sidelines of Juve or watching the road March and taking it all in. So I was wondering if you could tell us about your first memory of Carnival and what it felt like back then versus what it means to you know.
Speaker 2: My first memory of Carnival. So I actually didn't. I never stayed on the sidelines for Juve. Looked with my first like, I played job job as a kid, like I have pictures of myself playing job at five six years old. My first memory is being on the stage in Juve with my dad. Nobody at the time knew my dad knew I was his daughter, because again he was young, and I went on the stage as a kid. I think I probably was like six or seven. I had my job job stuff on and he had this song that he sang with this with this female and they were trying to find somebody who could sing the song with the female voice to him, and nobody would go up. So I went up and I grabbed the mic and they were like, you want to say something, And I put the mic in my face and I said, Teabrey is my father and anybody everybody started like charing because they didn't know. And he was like, oh my gosh, I sang. I sang the part to the female and the song and stuff. But so that was my that's my first memory of juve. I also remember growing up like I grew up with my grandmother mostly and my dad my dad's mom, and when you have an extended family, like you have the uncles and the aunts and stuff. So I was always around my my my granduncle, uncle Rastapro. He always played like job, like authentic job. I think that's where my dad also got it from. So that and Veko, that's another another cultural representation in Grenada. So growing up I was always immersed into it. I was immersed into it very early. So the experience that I had, like from small as a kid, I was in jes a baystander for things like Julie. I was always in it, even as.
Speaker 1: I love that. So Carnival is like literally in your blood, gosh, like for generations, because like you said, you know your dad learned it. You learned it, and to have that memory at such a young age, that's amazing. Yeah, I love that. I love that. So for Lavish, the band that you are the founder of, it seems like very much your vision, right, Like it's very fabulous. So when you dreamed up the idea for the band, what did you want people to feel when they experienced it for the first time.
Speaker 2: So I felt like looking on it, so Juve I was always a part of it. But I was never like, want to play pretty Mass. I was always on looker of pretty mass, So I was looking in at pretty mass and not necessarily experiencing it versus the Jewve the traditional part. I was always a part of that. Okay for me, I looking on like I felt like Carnival wasn't as authentic as I remembered when I decided to form the band, I felt like it was also lacking. So we can keep true to our traditions, but we can also improve on them. And then at the same time, I noticed that some of the bands that were there, they were also adapted to the culture of let's say Trinidad, like Trinidad Carnival, and I felt like although I wanted to improve the product, I could still stay true to it. So I came up with the tagline of experience the true essence of Spice Mass with lavish, where I'm giving the person who's coming to experience spice Mass an experience of Mass the way I know how to do it, or the way I've done it. So are you playing pretty Mass? But I also want you when you pay for your costume, I'm going to give you a job job experience included, free of cost. I'm going to give you a Monday Night Mass, exp your uns free of cost. You have your Monday afternoon, your Monday We're free of cost, and Tuesday. Because what I know is that we run. It's like a marathon. When you play Kindival, you're running a marathon. You do Julie, you go home, you change, you come back on an old Monday afternoon. You go home, you change, you cut back for Monday Night Mass, and then you have Carnival Tuesday, which is the last part. So for me, that's what I envisioned, like giving them an authentic Grenadian carnival experience the way that locals enjoy Mass, while still improving the costume products.
Speaker 1: I love that, and given your background, it's very authentic, right, because you're not somebody that's coming into or coming on the island and saying, oh, I just want to be a part of this, so I'm just going to make up a band. And I think that's probably why a lot of persons gravitate towards your band, because it feels authentic, right, great, And the name itself, yeah, well we're just gonna assume that, right, And the name itself, you know, lavish. It feels luxurious and I'm the type of woman I love a luxury so that is really on brand for me and I'm sure for a lot of our listeners. And it feels intentional, right. And so this year the theme is muses the Divine Inspiration, and I think that's a beautiful theme. I think that it's poetic, it's powerful, and honestly, it feels timely. So where did the idea for this theme come from? And why do you feel like no was the right moment to center just creativity itself.
Speaker 2: We felt like everybody was just like you know, as a theme, say like in the script, everybody's just walking around or there's lacking motivation. I mean, I've been there myself, lacking inspiration, doing the same thing over and over, everything begins to feel black and white. It begins to feel routine, like the same all.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you know, like, okay, it seems like create like mankind has lost its spark, Like we're no longer creative. We're depending on technology. I'm kind of being a hypocrite because my my my presentation is kind of as Ai generated the prelude. But still, but everybody depends. Everybody depending on technology on our phones. We're not outside, we're not entertaining each other with musical instruments like different things that we used to do, dancing, et cetera. We're just technology based. We're on the phone. Like instead of playing with toys, kids are watching other kids on screen play with toys.
Speaker 1: Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 2: They're so crazy making millions doing that. It's like, you know, we lost our sparks. So we felt like, you know, we have the muses who would inspire, So we have the use of music, the meus of dance, the use of laughter, the means of love. Like just these different people bringing back that spark to us so that we're no longer just existing.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it because you know this is a one life that we have, and so you want to live to thrive. You don't just want to be mundane and just survive. True what you said, a lot of what we do is rooted in technology. And even the example you gave the fact that there are children that are making millions of dollars just playing with toys because other children just want to watch them on TV rather than playing with their own toys says all we need to know. Right, That's just so crazy, but it's the reality. So I applaud you for you know, taking that and kind of, like you said, as far as your vision for the band in and of itself, bringing back that authenticity and bringing back persons just desire to be free and to live and to not just live a mundane life, you know when they can't, because sometimes life is mundane. Don't get me wrong, it can be lavish all the time. But I think it's good that you know, you're definitely making the effort to bring that back. And I find the visual direction this year to be absolutely stunning, So congratulations on that. How much of the design process are you hands on with and what were you and your team trying to evoke through like the look and feel of each section.
Speaker 2: Would you say, so, I'm usually like very involved. If I'm not involved, then I don't. I start don't. I usually don't feel connected to the costume, and then I start disliking it, and then I start complaining and criticizing. So I usually try to be involved from inception, whether it's well, I shop for all materials myself, I go hands on, touch, feel, this is what we're trying to do. This is what we want to do. So I usually do that with my main designer, Alejandro for his sections. The other sections, the designers have complete control of that, but because Alijandro does majority of my costume, we collaborate a lot in the design process. Okay, So from the sketches, he would do the sketches and share with me, and I'd be like, you know, what can you change this bra Like being a woman, I may not feel comfortable wearing this, or make this a little bit more feminine, make this a little bit more sexy, you know.
Speaker 1: And that's important for sure.
Speaker 2: Yes, And then going into the design phase where he's actually building out, he would send to me for me to see to give feedback, ET cetera. So I'm very hands on in that aspect. I'm hands on with everything in the back too much.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I love that though, because one, it's your brand, so if something goes wrong, persons are going to hold you responsible, and if something goes great, persons are going to hold you responsible. So I definitely understand the need and want to be involved. But I think you mentioned something very key, even though just Carnival in and of itself throughout the Caribbean is still more male dominated. That just the importance of why women need and should be involved, because things like the way that you know, the wire bra sits or oh it you know, looks on a woman's body, A man is not going to know that, you know what I mean. So that's something that you probably unintentionally pointed out, but I think that's really a great thing.
Speaker 2: And not even like that, it also has to be practical because although something can look pretty, am I going to feel comfortable wearing this? Am I going to have to be pulling up my boots throughout the day? I don't beautiful exactly?
Speaker 1: That sound safe? Yes, because then you can't really enjoy yourself. You're so right, like you want to be jumping up and down, and you want to leave your behavior and customs, and you can't do that if you're pulling and pushing. And yeah, I one hundred percent degree. And that's why I think that it's just incredibly powerful seeing a woman like you lead this space, because, like I said, carnival bands are often run by men, but you are at the helm of one of the most in my opinion, visually compelling experiences in the region. So what does it mean to you to be a woman CEO in this space, in the carnival space.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I feel like I am setting an example. But don't get me wrong, I do, and I'm still getting a lot of pushback, Like it feels most times like I don't belong in the space, or at least they attempt to make me feel like I don't belong in the space, right, like just little things such as, for example, I don't live in Grenada, but I was born and raised in Grenada. As a matter of fact, I only moved to the US when I was twenty three. I am now thirty one, so I spent most of my life in Grenada. Yet they refer to Blavish as a foreign band and I'm like, why, what do you mean? And it's not. And it's when I say foreign band, they meet it as a derogatory term.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: I'm in Grenada every single month of the year. I fly back home every single month, sometimes twice a month. I've lived there most of my life. My entire family is there. I'm the only one here. Why are you considering my business a fine business?
Speaker 1: That's insane. Wow, Wow, I'm actually speechless. That's crazy because again, it's not like you've never lived there. It's not like you weren't born there. It's not like you even left when you were four, like you left in your twenties. Yeap, So faring about that.
Speaker 2: So just a lot of microaggression. You know, if I speak up for myself amongst the bands, if I speak up about.
Speaker 1: It, it's a problem.
Speaker 2: An attitude. If somebody else speaks up about it. And I'm also the youngest, so I'm not only female, but I'm also the youngest band owner, I speak of a problem exactly. So it's either that I guess I go I shouldn't, or if I talk about it, it's an attitude, which is kind of ridiculous because a lot of the things that they implement don't accept the other bands as much as they affect my band because of the size and because of some of the amenities that I have. So for me, what it means a lot. And I feel like I push a lot of boundaries and I try to break down a lot of barriers. So set an example, it's a lot of pushback and a lot of hurdles that I also have to jump to overcome what I'm experiencing.
Speaker 1: Wow, well, you know, I want to offer you a different perspective. I think a lot of times when you're in a space like that where you're doing something so different and you're pushing back to have persons have a different experience, that's possibly a better experience. People sometimes recognize that and they realize that you have a gift for that's literally, as you explained, innate right. It's not something you learned, you didn't go to class for it, it's literally in your blood. And a lots of times when people see that in persons and know they can't do anything about that, they'll try to bring you down or make you feel uncomfortable, or use those microaggressions so that maybe you'll say, you know, what, I'm not going to speak up next time. I can't be bothered or you know what, I'm just not going to do this anymore because they think I'm foreign, and you know, it's too many problems and they're giving me too many hurdles. So I would say, just keep going, you know, because at the end of the day, it sounds like they know where you're headed, and they know your talent, and they know how people gravitate towards you, and that's probably a lot of the reason why there's an attempt to make it difficult for you. You know, That's what I see as an outsider.
Speaker 2: Honestly, Like for me, and I'll be completely honest about this last year, with some of the road blocks that I experienced from the main kind of body and Grenada, I did say that I was not coming back, like that was my last Like I was not going to do it again because when I do Carnival, like I don't do Carnival for the money, because I don't really make any money from it. I mean, I have my career hair. I do it because I love it. I do it because I love seeing my mascarader is happy on the road, enjoying themselves. So when you kind of do things and it takes away from the joy of them experiencing themselves, then I don't I now, I'm not getting what I do this for. I'm not getting gratification from it. So it's like what else am I What am I doing this? Because I'm not getting this. I do it for this, I'm not getting it and it's just most trust. So but like my family and my friends and my team are like, you know what, like we understand, we saw the issues that we had and don't let that get to you. That just feel well for you to push even harder, even more, and we're gonna be here fighting with.
Speaker 1: You one hundred percent. I agree. I'm so glad that they poured that back into you, because, like I said, that's actually what I think they want you to do. They want you to give up, and we can't have that, We cannot allow that. I'm putting myself in the mix because I just you know, like I said, I admire your strength and your tenacity because a lot of people would just give up, like you said, because you're doing it genuinely for the joy. If you're not getting that back, it's not something that you need to do. You know, it's not like a monetary gain where some people are like, oh, I'm unhappy, but I need this money, so let me just keep doing it anyway. Exactly. You know you're doing it because of the joy you experience and because of how much a part of you is a part of you know, spice mass, Like that's that's how you grew up. And it's just it's so much more than just creating this lavish experience for everybody. You want them to experience, like you said, what you experienced growing.
Speaker 2: Up, right, the true essence of spice mass.
Speaker 1: Exactly, absolutely, absolutely so for someone like myself who's never experienced spice mass, why should they go? Why Grenado? Why?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: What makes carnival in Grenada so special, especially compared to other major carnival experiences?
Speaker 2: Would you say, I feel like anybody, anybody who asks, would tell you juve juve and Monday Night Mass makes us stand out from the rest. I feel like I'm not coming down on any other carnival, So please don't like, I hope that your listeners don't try to bite my head off.
Speaker 1: Of this safe space. It's a safe space.
Speaker 2: Looking on, I feel like a lot of them have become so commercialized. Some stay true to self, So for example, Vince mass that Dominica, a lot of them stay true to self. But a lot of the others they've adopted the Trinidad model. Right However, like if you go to Juvie, I promise you you play job, you feel connectedy ancestors, like you would understand that type of feeling that we get when we play Julie. And it's not even about music. It just feels like you're free. It's community. You're chipping to the drums. It could be music as well, but you feel connected. And I feel like that's what makes us stand out from the rest.
Speaker 1: I love that because that's what I was gonna ask. What's the difference between Juve and jab But.
Speaker 2: It's the same thing, Like you play a job job in Juvie, it's just that Juve it's four day morning, we go out at three o'clock. You see, like Miami says, oh, we have Juve, but you have to pay for a Juve package such and such amount of dollars. Trinidad, no juven and Grenada is free. If you're listening, don't let anybody. Don't let anybody convince you to buy a juve package unless you're probably buying drinks, but you can also buy drinks on the side of the streets Juve and Grenada. You put on your clothes piece of old clothes that you know you no longer want, and you go in the street. The guys are gonna dirty you. The other job jobs are gonna dirty you, whether it's with paint or oil. I prefer to be black. They're gonna dirty you. And the only thing you have to pay for is your drinks. If you are with a band, for example, my band, I offer drinks, So you have your wristband, we're gonna give you drinks. But other than that, you don't have to pay for jube.
Speaker 1: Oh that's sound safe to me.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's very safe. So it's like for Granada on a whole. You come to carnival, you don't have to worry about somebody shooting somebody or doing something violence. Everybody is here to enjoy them and that is the main priority. So it's just very safe.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that, And for someone like myself that's not as familiar, what is and very briefly, because I'm sure there's just so much to it. But what's the history behind job job Because I've seen the black paint and the horns and things like that, but I don't really know the history or meaning behind it.
Speaker 2: So basically, job job originated from the slaves mocking their slave masters. So before they used to cover themselves in the molasses, they used to refer to them as the devil, like the slave masters as devils. So they would use the horns from the old the dead cattles or goats and stuff throughout the year they would see them, and then they would create these helmets, put the hats on them. They would use the molasses to cover themselves so that they look dark, and then they would also have the chains. I mean during slavery, they had a lot.
Speaker 1: Of change, right, right, So we.
Speaker 2: Use that as a representation so that this basically still from that. It's basically like a mockery of that, a mockery of them because they're like, oh that they're devils, right, And so that came down from generations to generations, and Grenada stayed true to self with that, so we still have them up to today. I mean some we kind of tweaked it, so not using the old car engine oil anymore. I've adopted to using activated grounded charcoal and I mix it with coconut oil. So not only it doesn't look the same, but you're also getting like a skin treatment while you're playing. But I do that, but it's the same look. Wants the same look. You have your helmets, you're black, you're drinking, you know, different things, you're celebrating in the streets and lunching.
Speaker 1: That, and you're also getting a rejuvenating skincare experience. Basically, geez everything else this is Lavish. I love it. I love it. I love that. So we've talked about the feathers and the fun and the history, but let's talk about the foundation, right, So what would you say the journey of being an owner and being the CEO of Lavish has really taught you about yourself, not just as a creative but as a woman and a leader.
Speaker 2: Patient for sure. Being patient also you have to you have to have like a very broad back. You're supposed to be able to take. You're supposed to be able to take a beating. And I'm being a hypocrite for saying this because I can't. I try and I can't. I have my days when I break down when I listen to I listened to criticism and sometimes it doesn't go as I wanted to. I've also learned that I can't.
Speaker 1: Please everyone right yeah, and I am.
Speaker 2: A people pleaser, So I'm learning how to to detach a bit from that. And also for me like knowing when I can't do everything myself as much as I want to sometimes and I want to. I want to have my hand in everything. I'm learning to delegate.
Speaker 1: Which is not easy all the time.
Speaker 2: Which is not easy all the time, especially if you've had experiences where you've delegated to people and they did not deliver as they should have. Now you're like, snatch it back. I didn't do what I want to do. Now I'm gonna hold on to this true. So I had to learn that. But patience is the biggest thing for me, like just being patient and also having a plan A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, the whole alphabet, the whole alphabet, and learning to like critical thinking. Another thing critical thinking. I'm a I'm a registered nurse, so nice I also have to I learned that from work and I had to put it into my business. Also, you have to be able to think critically and on your feet to come up with solutions for problems.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that. I love how you incorporate, you know, what you learn in your everyday life to your passion essentially, because yeah, that's definitely important. So I have to ask, do you ever just take a step back and realized realize just how significant your impact is, Like the fact that young girls in Grenada and even in other Caribbean islands are seeing you as a model of what's really possible.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I do, but I feel like I'm also very critical of myself where I don't see what others see oh wow, so I'm just for me. It's like, so someone would look at the band and say, oh my god, everything was executed, for example, the launch yesterday. Everything was executed the way it should have, but they're not seeing on the back end, like the little oh this didn't actually happen. This wasn't perfect, And I feel like I am critical of that. So I don't see what people see. They see me as oh, you accomplish this or you accomplish that, and I see it as I actually didn't accomplish what I wanted to because it wasn't flawless as I planned it to be. So I don't know, I don't see I don't see it as I've done it. I see it as I'm doing it or I'm trying to do it that haven't accomplished it as yet.
Speaker 1: And you know what, that's not shocking to me. I want to be like, no, don't think like that, But it's not shocking because I just think as Caribbean women, like that's how we're raised, like there's always something more to do, right, Like there's always more to accomplish, and you know, even growing up, like if you got a ninety eight percent, it's like, why didn't you get a hundred? And you're sitting there like, you know how hard I worked for this ninety eight percent?
Speaker 2: Like it's still okay, you know what, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: It's true, It's true. It's innate in us. So it's like nothing is ever good enough. And that's why when we go out in the real world, especially when we come to the US, nothing can really get to us. Because when you grow up our own parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, that nothing you ever do essentially is good enough. Like you you're always aiming for the stars, so you don't technically really have the time to sit down and say, wow, I've accomplished this, you know, because I think of like my parents that came to the US, or my aunts or uncles. They moved from an island to a totally different country, and at no time did they have time to sit down and be like, whoa, you know, we did it, let's just sit back and relax. It was, you know, make sure we're working to make sure our kids have a better life, and it's just the constant goal. So I'm glad that we're in a generation now and the generations that follow us that are more open to taking the time to say, you know what, good job, like I can put myself.
Speaker 2: On the back.
Speaker 1: Doesn't mean I'm gonna stop. But you know, that's why I love having these conversations because I feel like we don't give it to ourselves enough. And I would be being a hypocrite because I'm sure my friends are listening and saying, hmm, it's hard to tell you you're doing a good job, and I'm here telling others like, no, don't say that to yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, yeah, so that's why you're accomplished so much and you're like, I feel like I have.
Speaker 1: Yes, I feel you're just sitting here like is Mia talking about It's not me, But no, I'm here to tell you the little that I know and what I've learned. You know, you're doing a lot, and you're inspiring women and young girls around the world. I'm sure of it, just because you know one of what you're doing. And like you said, people see the glits and the glamour, but even what you spoke of today, a lots of people may not know that that you're dealing with that stuff on the back end. They just see the output, you know.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: These conversations are really important so that younger girls and other women that are interested can see it's not always glitz and glamour. To be ahead of your time, to be a leader, I think it's really how you handle it, you know what I mean. I think that says the most about you as a person.
Speaker 2: Perseverance through adversity.
Speaker 1: Yep, yes, okay, So two more questions before our final segment. What would you say is your big dream for Lavish the band and just for yourself in general.
Speaker 2: Biggest dream for Lavish honestly, like for me, every year, I just try to do better than the previous year. So I'd say my big dream is to just have a flawless year where there are hiccups, where everybody can say, you know what, I had absolutely no issues, not one, not one issue from start to finish. Yeah, that's my big dream.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: So that would be for that for me personally, if I if that happens and I see fifteen hundred people happy and smiling and laughing, that's a lot of smiles and a lot of happiness to last me until the next day for when Carme will come again.
Speaker 1: I love that. Well, we're gonna say that's exactly what's going to happen. I'm putting it out there.
Speaker 2: Existence yes, yes, for.
Speaker 1: Sure, for sure. Before we transition to our final segment, I've been allowing my guests this season to ask me one question, since I guess don't usually get to ask a question. So is there anything you'd like to ask me?
Speaker 2: Oh? Oh, I'm gonna throw your question back at you. Oh sure, where do you see or what is one of your big goals for whether it's personal or your business wise, that you have for this year?
Speaker 1: Oh? Good question. I would say my biggest goal is for this podcast to reach as many people as possible, particularly in the Caribbean diaspora, just because I find that every conversation I've had always leaves me with something like some sort of introspection, some type of connection. I mean, I was getting chills earlier when you said you just spoke to someone about something I mentioned. That literally happens every time I have a guest, which I think is so like, I think it's like a God said thing because I you know, we don't know each other. So the fact that like, I feel like God has sent me to certain people and even and things that you've said today have resonated with me personally that I needed to hear, although you know, I may not have said it in the moment. So I just love having these conversations, and I would love to take it on like a bigger scale and really just talk to more Caribbean women, more Caribbean people, and have conversations that we didn't necessarily necessarily get to have growing up, and we necessarily don't have every day because a lot of us are dealing with the same things. You know, whether I'm talking to Deborah Cox or whether I'm talking to other celebrities or just normal people or my friends. You know, like we're all dealing with very similar things. And I just love that people can come here and trust me to ask them whatever they want, whatever I want to ask them, and know that it's a safe space. There's no gossip here, nothing salacious. I just feel like I'm here to make people hold up a mirror and recognize their worth and their value, and they give the same back to me.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Love that, Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: I love that. That's what you get your joy. So my joy comes from the mass Garad is happy, and you like when your guests, You get that gratification from your guests, Yeah, be able to feel comfortable and to open up to you.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yes. And I love when they leave and like we end the conversation and talk afterwards and they're like, oh my gosh, that was so fun, or you know, I didn't realize that's about myself. And usually like we end up just being friends because we realize, like, oh my gosh, we have so much in common. And I just feel like nowadays you don't meet very genuine people all the time, especially when you're in spaces or you know, I come from a background where my dad's a famous musician, So a lots of times you don't know if people are talking to you because of that, you know, you would know that experience, and it's just it's really like it's it warms my heart when I meet people that just like like me for me, or like we're laughing and joking just for me, Like you don't know anything about me, you don't need anything from me, and so like I cherish those types of relationships, even if they're built sporadically like in these conversations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally agree, Like I am also learning to practice discernments like because again, yes I may be I may be genuine like open to genuine friendships, and trust me, they do come and they basically use you for what you can do for them and you when you don't see it after the fact, like I'm heartbroken when I lose friends or things like that. But I keep like I guard myself because of that because I have experienced it plenty times where people come around just because of that, and it's so bad, Like I don't like when people refer to me as I'm sorry that I don't like when people do you refer to me as tall priest daughter. Yes, I have my own identity. I'm Ebony. Get to know me for me, and that's just a bonus. Yeah, he's there, but that's not me. That's not who I am exactly. And it doesn't mean you're not pro to be his daughter. But you are your own person. And I think that you know what you said again, something I also needed to hear a discernment.
Speaker 1: That's like one of my words for this year. My other word is freedom. That's like a favorite word of mine because I just think it's so important and it's hard when you're a genuinely kind person to recognize when people are being kind in a manipulative way, you know what I mean. So like, oh, I know that if I'm kind to Ebony, then I can play mass with her. Or I know if I'm kind to Ebny, I can go to her dad's concert.
Speaker 2: And help built my business. That's really yeah.
Speaker 1: There you go, there you go. No, it's a real thing, and so like, you don't want to turn into this person. I was just saying it. I had my friend Rochelle on my podcast the last episode, and I was just saying it to her. I don't want to make that change me, right, because then I'm not being my authentic self. So what I've decided is I'm just gonna be that way once I recognize that person to deserve that or they've shown me that they're genuine, rather than just saying, you know what, I'm not gonna be kind to anybody anymore because people end up using me, and then that creates stress for me and I'm not getting any rinkles for anybody.
Speaker 2: Okay, how's it. I don't know how to. I wish I could, like I hope I'm able to do that and be like you in the future. It's but it's kind of hard to like hold hold back. It's kind of like like holding back a bit. Usually I just jump head first into what do you need help with? Like I can help you do that or different things or give advice. But I want to be able to hold back.
Speaker 1: You know what, You'll reach a point where something happens where you just wake up one day and say, you know what, I don't want to feel like this anymore. I don't want people to speak to me like this or use me or treat me this certain way, and it just turns off. There's no big announcement. You don't post any memes. You just decide like you're done dealing with it. And again, you don't have to change who you are as a person. You don't have to treat people differently, but you have boundaries. And the first thing I can tell you that's going to happen is then people are really going to be upset with you, because Ebony, how dare you put yourself first? How dare you You're supposed to put me first? Because I used to be just like, how can I help? What can I do? What do you need? But you see, when I needed that, it was silent because since I'm always doing everything, people then look at you and say, oh, Ebite doesn't need anything. She's strong, she always handles everything. She doesn't need my help, you know what I mean. And so it's a two way street because you have to look inward and say, well, what have I done to let them believe that that was okay to treat me that way? Right? Like, we have to take some accountability for that. But once you realize that the person is doing something over and over again or treating you a certain way, then it's in comment upon you to say, all right, you know what. I don't like how this feels. I don't have to tell off the person, but I need to make sure that they're not in my surroundings, maybe as much because they don't genuinely appreciate me. Because god forbid, you don't have the things that they're after anymore, You'll never hear from them again. It's that simple. You know. It's so sad, but it's true. So we were meant to have this conversation. I told you every time, all right, So for our last segment, I'm going to ask you seven rapid fire questions. It really quick, and I want you to answer with the first thing that comes to mind. So it's one word or one sentence. Ready, Yeah, all right? What's your favorite Grenadian dish?
Speaker 2: A long? Oh?
Speaker 1: I can't wait to try that. I've been hearing about that and it has call lou. I love cala loo, so I'm like, I have to try that. So as soon as I try it, I'm gonna let you know what I think because I'm so excited to try it.
Speaker 2: Isn't Jamaican klarloo different to our calalu? Oh? Is it? I don't want?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's different to Jamaican kla loo.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I really have to let you know what I try it because I was just assuming it's just like our cala lou. Interesting, Okay, I'm excited to try it now. All right, next question, I think I know what you're gonna say, but I'm gonna ask anyway socab.
Speaker 2: I thought you was gonna say soka or dance.
Speaker 1: All well, you beat me to it, my girl. I was gonna say so jab jab or dance all but what I get jab that.
Speaker 2: Is not a genre music though it's soca.
Speaker 1: So okay, let me ask you a question because maybe I'm confused. So job jab is not a genre of music that's the actual like juve or the event. Yeah right, so even if a Grenadian like what's his name, is it, mister Killer? He's Grenadian soca's okay, so that's still considered soca. Yeah, okay, all right, Well let's back it up then, because I didn't realize that.
Speaker 2: If you want to say, like job music, I feel like it's a subgenre of soca, but it's not a genre's mostly when they use like the drums as the main part of it. So, yeah, exact feeling because you know they use drums for juve, but it's not a jon k.
Speaker 1: Emily. You're teaching me something I've been speaking of to turn this whole time. Okay, So Soca or dancehall, it's clear, ladies and gentlemen. I couldn't even fish scented. Soca is the.
Speaker 2: Winner, absolutely, if Cardible is awesome. Yeah, I'm feeling like a bad yell that. Hey, I play some Yes, I play Stevens, I play some Spies, I play yes Seda.
Speaker 1: You know I love that. Yeah, yeah, sometimes you know you have to touch your toe a little, you know. Yeah, but yes, yes, I one hundred percent agree. I would choose Socca as well. Even as a Jamaican, I like dance hall, but Soca and reggae, like old school reggae. I grew up with a lot of like my uncles and grandparents like you said, and just around my parents, so I love like that older type of rock steady kind of reggae too.
Speaker 2: So yeah, your question, you ever listened to Soca and feel there's only one feeling you feel when you listen to Soca. You never listen to Soca and feel like, yeah, it's true, happy music.
Speaker 1: It's true and That's why I love it. I feel like it because freedom is like my word of my life, not even of this year. That's how it makes me feel like. It makes me feel free, makes me feel happy, makes me feel like I can do anything. But I can also bend down and touch my toe if I wanted to. But the overall feeling, like you said, is like a happy vibe. I agree on good music, yes for sure. And we want to feel good. Yes, we want that all right. Next question? What one must have item in your carnival spice mass survival kit.
Speaker 2: As a female? Yes, I would say a sewing kid.
Speaker 1: Ooh, I was not expecting that. So why is it just in kids?
Speaker 2: You have a little accident, something bus on you like, imagine on the street, an your pants.
Speaker 1: God no, but it's true. Yeah, what about people like me that can't?
Speaker 2: So what are we supposed to do with a needle? You just you jerk the needle in with the tread, You pull it out, you jerk it in again, you pull it out. Trust me.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you can pull? You can pull it?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I feel like that should be the title for this. You can pull, got it can pull?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Okay? Next question, if lavish the band were a fragrance, what would it smell like?
Speaker 2: Oh, I was saying, have you ever smelled ca Alie vanilla twenty eight?
Speaker 1: That's one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: I would say a mix of that and tom food lost cherry, So you smell like cherry.
Speaker 1: But I like that very nice, very lavish and fabulous.
Speaker 2: I like that. Why because people and sweets.
Speaker 1: We would like to smell sweet and subtle on the road. We would like to make sure that you have your antipersperate. This is not the time to use a no anti prosperate deodorant. Want to make sure you have your antiperspirant. And you're smelling very lavish on the road. So yes, I like that combination. Very nice, very nice. All right, Next question a couple more. What's one thing tourists must do when they come to Grenada besides spice mass So if they don't come in August, for.
Speaker 2: Example, I would say to go to the If you like the water, I would say to go to the Underwater Sculpture Park. You're just snuggling, Yeah, isn't it like one of the eighth Wonders of the World or something like that. Yeah, they have like a whole underwater community down there with different sculptures. It's a part of the coral reef enhancement. So I would say, if you like the water and you like snarkling, I would say, do that, don't don't be like me when I go. I don't. I don't go in the water. I just say everybody else.
Speaker 1: That sounds like me, like I can't swim, but I can't really swim swim if you know what I mean. You know, like I can tread water. But yeah, I'm not like Jacques Coustoe like diving. Yeah, no that's not That's not my thing.
Speaker 2: Let's just say they put a life jacket on me. I would probably drown from fair.
Speaker 1: Okay, So no underwater sculpture for you, however, you do recommend it for those that are of the deep diving persuasion. Very nice, okay. Two more questions. Which Caribbean woman past or present has most inspired you and your journey.
Speaker 2: Does it have to be with business wise?
Speaker 1: No, No, it could be personal business. Just any Caribbean woman.
Speaker 2: So I would say, especially like for my career. I have a friend. She probably doesn't even know this. She was a past carnival queen as well, okay, and she went on to doing her medical degree. I am gonna, I am going back to medical school soon. She went on to do her medical degree, she became a doctor, she moved over here, and she's now the medical director of a hospital in Rhode Island. So I would say she even inspired me from being you know, from back home, poor family, and again she persevered through adversity and just the same. I'm over here, I'm on my own. So that is one of the inspirations I have in my career and career building. And she's always supported me as well. Doctor Nakita Noel, that's her name. I love that, so I would say for it would be for her. Correct.
Speaker 1: I love that, And I love That's something I love about being a Caribbean woman, a woman like we like to have fun and you know, carnival and dancing and all these things, but we're very educated and we know how to do both. I think that's really a skill that we have as Caribbean women, for sure. Yeah, I love that. Okay. And final question, what has building Lavish the Band taught you about yourself that you didn't know before?
Speaker 2: That I'm a people pleaser, but I'm a people pleaser to a fault of mine, where when I don't please the way I want to, or people are not happy, they don't have the reaction but I want them to that. I'm very hard on myself for it. So it's taught me to understand that I can't please everybody. And it's not just only within lavige. But I've noticed that much more because I'm dealing with much more people on a larger scale in my career. I'm dealing with patients one on one, but and as one to two patients at a time max. But with fifteen hundred people, and I like to deal with them face to face talking. I can't please everybody. Not everybody's gonna like this. Everybody's gonna like this design, yep, And that's okay. And that's and I'm learning that that is okay. Not everybody's gonna like me. I'm learning that that's okay. You don't have the okay yep, yep, yep, and that's that's good, right because everybody is not supposed to like you. That means that you're doing something right. That means that you stand up for things. That means that you have your own opinion, You have a difference of opinion. That's like the positive spin I would put on it, you know.
Speaker 1: And yeah, like nobody likes everyone. You don't even like everyone, you know what I mean. And so in your case, you're not a plate of oil dong, So everybody's not gonna love you, because clearly that's the only thing that I think every Grenadian loves is oil dong. So unless you can morph into that dish, then yeah, that's a good mindset to have. Thank you so much for coming to talk things with me. Thank you for the vision, the vibe, and for showing us what it means to lead with culture and creativity. And Lavish to me, isn't just a carnival band, as you've explained, it's really your love letter to Grenada and a reminder that we can celebrate who we are and still continue to grow bigger and more lavishly.
Speaker 2: I like that, You're right.
Speaker 1: I like that perfect, perfect. And do you have anything that you'd like to announce or where people can follow Lavish the Band and kind of keep up with what's going on for Spice Mass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely so you can follow our Instagram. It's at Lavish the Band. So lav I s H T. E band, our website www dot lavishtheband dot com. We just launched our designs for Spice Mass twenty twenty five, so they can visit our website, they can take a look at prices costumes, and they can start registering for their carnival costumes if they're coming to Spice Mass. And if you're not, you're missing.
Speaker 1: Out, yes for sure. And if you've ever felt a call to create something rooted in who you are, I would recommend our listeners look at what Ebony is building and has built with Lavish, follow her, support the movement, and if you're ready for an experience like she said, you can meet her on the road.
Speaker 2: At Spice Mass. Thanks so much for coming to talk and talk things with me, Evane, I really appreciate it, right, Thank you and thank you for having me of course,