Speaker 1: Tired of the everyday routine, ever dream of a life of romantic adventure. I want to get away from it all. We offer you escape.
Speaker 2: Escape designed to free you from the four walls of to day for a half hour of high adventures.
Speaker 1: That happened well at time, yes, but we did not make contact. Will happen all the gold h Look you have the tickets have a h third class, so all I can get So then who do Oh no, if they had a kid. This is mister Gallander. He will take you to Hanover.
Speaker 2: Where you are you.
Speaker 1: Bruce better enough to get on the train.
Speaker 3: Now no, well, wait for the whistle.
Speaker 1: Oh why here's.
Speaker 3: The crowd for cover?
Speaker 1: Smsterhurrek, turn your face to me. Might to keep you back to the train. Now wait all right now, Eric, He's not gonna felize that. As the British Zone terminus of the East German Underground, I'd had my share of surprises, but none of the match finding Lawton.
Speaker 3: Herrick in my custody.
Speaker 1: This was the man who had disappeared behind the iron curtain of a year ago, voluntarily brilliant nuclear physicist and authority on thermonuclear reaction even swallowed up in the gigantic red maub of Eastern Europe's highest bider for his brain, and now he was back. It was up to me who escort him safely to Hanover to British intelligence. And as we rode, I speculated on why he had come back.
Speaker 2: I suppose you are wondering why I came back?
Speaker 1: Why did you? Very simple?
Speaker 2: I had finally realized I'd picked the wrong side, so I touched the whole show and came home.
Speaker 1: Just like that. As you say, just like that, you sounds pretty casual. How else should I be? I don't know.
Speaker 2: It is my conscience you're concerned with. Don't bother.
Speaker 1: I got more from them than they got from me.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I know every installation they've set up, what the christionable material output is per day, and of what their potentially is for producing the hydrogen bombing quantity.
Speaker 1: Uh huh? Where are your records notes?
Speaker 2: That's sort of I memorized paper and pencil were too risky. I had a security guard with me constantly.
Speaker 1: How did you get away? He walked out of Magdeburgh. What about the garden?
Speaker 2: I imagine they'll bury him with full military honors.
Speaker 1: As I imagine alone.
Speaker 2: Tery but we're here now, and I am safe, and that's all that really matters, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Well? I won't feel safe until they got fast Tala's labor. It ain't there? Oh about uh?
Speaker 3: About two hours?
Speaker 2: Do we stop there?
Speaker 1: That's for a few minutes where mine?
Speaker 2: Did I take a nap?
Speaker 1: Such yourself?
Speaker 2: Wake me and tell his labor? Will you?
Speaker 1: Right now? He went to sleep, and I thought about how easy is that? Escape had been too easy? This was no ordinary defection to the camp of the free world. This man was important, important enough that his safe arrival could cause him considerable embarrassment of those from Whomi's escape. We waised them to Talus Laban. A few passengers got out, some came aboard, and we started off again. Did you sleep well, reverdy? Where we're leaving Talis Laban? Use it? No? I? Yes? Who is it? Oh? Come in now? Will you please tell this stupid the honeymoment. If you flee, there is no time. Go ahead, identify me, but hurry. It's all right, conductor. I know what a well, I'll take care of it later now if you please.
Speaker 2: Of course, I forgive me, but my job and I have a wife, and yes, yes, we know all that.
Speaker 1: Now will you go please? Yes, Bruce, Now.
Speaker 3: We are in trouble.
Speaker 1: Oh, what's the matter? They know where we are, but they have an agent aboard this train. Or when did we get on just now as Collor's leaving or we just left talents?
Speaker 3: Well, yes I know, and that's.
Speaker 1: Idiot of a conductor. Would not let me find you in time to get you off? Well, and we stay here in this compartment till we get a handle. Now that is the problem. We won't get too hard over Why there is a bomb on board? A bomb, yes, in a suitcase, and the plan is to destroy a train with me get on the old Caribe bridge. Well, then we'll stop the train. No, I thought of that, And that's no good because whoever it is has orders to explode it if the train stops for any reason before we reach the river. When did you learn this? An hour after you left, I received a message from the Merrimakey boards they found body of that god soon after Harry lived. They missed you in Herbitsfielder, and they arranged this hour of sleep and interception. But how did Jui roll? And when I got here the train was pulling out of the station. Jot if it had not been but a stupid conduct, it's so late for that. Now, Yes, we've got to find a bond. It's the agent of man or a woman, though I don't know, Bruce, how soon before we reached the ocre river. But from now about an hour and a half hour.
Speaker 2: And a half between the career verse we should.
Speaker 1: Be Now, Herrick, you stay here, but at least I s Erick. Yes, we know nothing of a tomic reactions. That is your field, this is ours. Just do as you're told, will you please? I'm sorry? All right, and yes, get the conductor, yes, and hurry.
Speaker 2: But why we are not at all?
Speaker 1: Why should they want to do this to me? It's not Joe, it's us start doing it. So but what can I do?
Speaker 2: Or shall I? Look?
Speaker 1: We'll do the looking. All we want from you is cooperation, that will cooperate.
Speaker 2: What isn't there for me to do?
Speaker 1: Not much? Now? First, do you have a list of the passengers that got on the tours were here? Good? Second, can we get into the baggage car while the trainers in motion? On this train?
Speaker 2: You can some of the first and segment right.
Speaker 1: That's enough. As long as we can get on this.
Speaker 2: One, no way.
Speaker 1: What about the baggage? Did we take much aboard? The tellers slam only the baggage clerk knows that you'll go with me? When I got to the baggage cart, Yes, go through the cars claimingness, you've lost the bag? You understand? Yes, you match up every bag with an honor right, mark the location of any oddist that you may find. He may have put it on one of the baggage shells and left the train. Where will you be baggage car?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: But after that back here the challenger?
Speaker 1: Yes, Eric, it won't be easy staying yes, you didn't expect it to be the do I suppose?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: Good nothing, good luck.
Speaker 1: But if he's not a policeman and not a soldier, why should I let him in this baggage carries?
Speaker 2: Now, do not argue with us.
Speaker 1: There's no time. Why should let me let me? Carl? This is an emergency. I must be permitted inside to check the baggage. But where did you permit badge prudentials, anything that I may locate.
Speaker 2: Jobs are hard to get. My wife and children.
Speaker 1: Were all right? All right? Then I'll side you. Someone has planted a bomb on board that's gonna go on. I'm yes, I'm bombed. And if I don't find it, and well, let me say an hour and fifteen minutes, none of us will be able to hold a job anymore. Now, may we come in? Yes, come in? All right? What do you want to know? How many pieces of baggage came about it? Teleslap? Not many? Five suitcases, A thrunk and that's create the crates.
Speaker 3: But then the crate I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, it's rooted true to hanover all right? Have you got a hammer? But I hate no story at me a hammer? All right?
Speaker 2: Okay, careful piece, careful.
Speaker 1: Watch us furniture. Okay, Now the suitcases over here? Have you a sharp knife?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: But why I must set the bags open? Cut? But the onlyest way I'll take the responsibility I get the knife. It was the only thing to do. The bag to be cut open and affected by hand. Opening a catch might set the bomb off, even if the debt, or if it wasn't wise.
Speaker 3: To it, which in all likelihood it was.
Speaker 1: As I cut into the first bag, I was a hard knock forming in the seat of my stomach. I reached inside the bag.
Speaker 3: Clothes.
Speaker 1: The second case clothes, the third to the fourth and the fist. Then we broke up in the truck.
Speaker 3: Uh, no bomb.
Speaker 1: I wiped my face. I left the conductor and Carl and went back to the compartment.
Speaker 2: Nothing. No, nothing, Where is that st checking bags? I suppose how much time do we have?
Speaker 1: Not quite an hour? Time enough? I don't know.
Speaker 2: You're sure the bomb is a book?
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm sure that doesn't make mistakes. What do we do now? Or you do just what you've been doing. Stay here, I'm going out and check the passengers that came about it.
Speaker 2: Thomas Leaping, So anything you want me to tell ends when he.
Speaker 1: Gets back, Yes, if you get back.
Speaker 2: We assumed we are doomed.
Speaker 1: I tell him what's the matter of diffrac?
Speaker 2: The engineers going to stop the train stop?
Speaker 1: What do you mean stop? He can't? I told you what would happen if we stop before we reached the Oka?
Speaker 2: Nevertheless, engineers going to stop?
Speaker 1: Or why?
Speaker 2: He says he has a bad coupling and the courtender.
Speaker 1: Did you tell him why we couldn't stop?
Speaker 2: Yes? He says he can keep the bad coupling, and the courtender the bomb. He cannot sleep.
Speaker 1: Oh no, therefore the bad coupling must take precedence, and he's going to stop the train. Mm hmm, Dietrich, the conductor had justin formed me that dud with affective coupling. The engineer was about to stop the train. And under these circumstances. It was a horrifying thot because we knew that the train was to be blown up, and it stopped for any reason before we reached the Yoca ripper. I thought you stod being for the matter. The engineer is going to stop the train, No he can't. I pause you what I know? I know, Ditric told And what more can I do?
Speaker 2: It out of my hands?
Speaker 1: Well, there's one thing more, ye, And what mister Color, and go back to the engineer, tell him we want fifteen minutes and tell him that if he refuses, I will personally kill him. What's the coupling? What about it? I don't care about the coupling. If it breaks, we're dead. Anyway, Let's at least try to find the bomb. Yes, mister Color, and I'll told him Bruce. What shall we do if that engineer refuse and I will kill him or at least get him out of the cabin. Let's the fireman run on the train. You know, there is still the possibility there that agents may have planted the bomb and himself then led the train. I might, but we don't know, No, that we don't. What about that baggage car high screened the passenger's luggage, John, Every piece matched up?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Now there there can we go? Now? Did you give you a list of passengers that boarded at SPA Sentinens?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, all right, giving.
Speaker 1: Me all right? Yes, but they are all Jeck Bruce, they said, one couple in second class? Well, one couple. Couple, Yes, it's married couple, knew event it could not possibly be the one that would be very clever of them, wouldn't its very Where are they in this car? The compartment third from the end of your pistol? Yes, I might give it to me here. Do you want me to come with you? Now? Give me five minutes?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: This was infinitely worse than fighting in the dark dark fighting terrified me. Here Miami was unseen, unknown, and out of reach. That he was close enough to mark us all for that. At a specific time, as I hurried along the corridor, I granted at my watch if the engineer gave us the fifteen minutes I'd asked for it, and we had already used three of those.
Speaker 3: Precious minutes planning strategist.
Speaker 1: One thing I knew for Seringa, the hand holding the gun in my pocket, would not come out until I was completely satisfied as to the identity of the newly weds.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: What can I do for it? My name is Bruce Calendar, has been a bit of a stir aboard, and the conductor made me a kind of deputy to make an inquiry. May I come in? Of course? Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm looking talk and roll neighbors. This is my wife. Well, this is the.
Speaker 1: Calendar.
Speaker 2: How do you do? Are you you're the melitor?
Speaker 1: I'm sure no, no Canadian?
Speaker 2: Good show, Good Joe, have a ring for the zoo?
Speaker 1: Well not right now, thank you?
Speaker 2: Oh what pull the fuss about, miss calenber Well?
Speaker 1: It seems that there was a jewel robbery in Sala Slaven. The thief was apprehended at the station, but not before he'd managed to stow the loop somewhere. The authorities believe that he may have put it in someone's baggage with the view toward recovering it sometime during the journey.
Speaker 4: Oh then you'll want to inspect the baggage.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, I have no authority to do that. But if you will see for yourself so that I can report it to the conductor, I had done very much?
Speaker 2: Will it give be an eye of my belief?
Speaker 1: Or gird?
Speaker 2: And they haven't been out of our fight, survived at the station.
Speaker 1: But you won't mind making the inspection?
Speaker 2: Oh no, not at all, my dear Ferda. But I'm afraid you'll be wasting your time.
Speaker 1: Oh look here, do you have a ring? Won't you no facts? Anyway?
Speaker 2: Oh we're on our honeymoon you know.
Speaker 1: Oh really?
Speaker 2: Yes, I've been trying.
Speaker 1: To get to Marry Mills for a long time now, well until yesterday that you've finally made.
Speaker 2: Up her mind.
Speaker 4: Yesterday, that's right, I finally wore down her resistance and I got it.
Speaker 1: Yes, question the bag? If you please put on the door?
Speaker 4: Yes, the give me only two line girls, I'll get them done, shirts, fop ties.
Speaker 1: Wine?
Speaker 2: Is the caramels having here?
Speaker 1: Good now, missus Crapton, I'll do it. No, no, you may not open it. Then? If you will open at yourself, I tell you why not? Better? Don't ask me why I can't do it. That's all. You have to have a reason. Please please me alone. This is no time to this sublem.
Speaker 2: You can't obstruct below.
Speaker 1: I don't about law. My belief will not be open it will I.
Speaker 2: Will not open it?
Speaker 1: Then I will. He snapped open the Catchers of God as Valise, and then he saw it, a picture of a rosy cheek boy in a loof buffer uniform, proud arrogant who was super raced. Litana turned away. His face looked like it had been slapped hard. I stood there for a moment. It isn't very pleasant to see a man's world disintegrated.
Speaker 3: By the photograph.
Speaker 1: What happened? They're not the one? Oh now what? I don't know?
Speaker 2: I do. I'm jumping off the train, but why?
Speaker 1: But they're after me?
Speaker 2: Not if I'm off the training state.
Speaker 1: All set down? You're making a fool of yourself. How do you propose to let him know you've jumped when we can't even locate him? I can't even die, nobly? Can I wait here for me? And where you're going to find Ditri? Mister calendar, I was on my way way. You know time the engineer must give us more time. You've won, or they've had to can the fire and run the train.
Speaker 2: But if the complete could.
Speaker 1: Just can the home kitty living a dialect family.
Speaker 2: Let now, have we got on too long time from the.
Speaker 1: Will while a pretty well, just say, oh mama, it's the calendar.
Speaker 2: The little woman at the end of the train would has been locked toward this woman's says since we left Connor play but did trick.
Speaker 1: That's where it is. That's the only place that could be. We've looked everywhere up here. That's rid of the woman. Go on like a relevant Let's see here, look at what you, madam for Let's see yeh, madam?
Speaker 2: You will play? Can see? Shall we cross the door?
Speaker 1: No, he'd set the thing off before we cracked it.
Speaker 2: But are you sure he's in there?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure he isn't in there. How will you find out? Well, I'm going to climb to the top of the car, moved down to the laboratory, smashed the window and shoot and I hope I hit him and that's a bomb.
Speaker 2: But if it does not, he then he will have kids in innocent men.
Speaker 1: And if it is and I don't shoot, over one hundred innocent people will be dead in five minutes.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I should permit it. After all, I'm the chief.
Speaker 1: Conducted, not five minutes. Digreg. Don't try to stop me.
Speaker 2: The responsibility is here and I will do what I can.
Speaker 1: To help Alad. Now get earned tell him what I'm going to do. Tell him as soon as he there's the shots to have you open the door, he'll disarm the bomb. That was that clear. He has mister Colin hurt and hurry. We only have four minutes. As they ran down the corridor, I turned and went to the door leading to the outside of the train, and there I took off my shoes and checked the cystol arms had given me. At any moment, I expected the train to start slowing down, which I knew must be followed by the glass. Until I got to the roof of the car, I didn't quite know how I was going to reach down and break the glass. But when I got there, I saw that this time the brake had come my way. This was an old relic that had the light sentence at each end of the car. Carefully so as not to betray any movement to the man, believe me, I booked one leg around to stand it and let myself ease down. That I hung there for the second. I that the man inside was the man. I thought this was my last chance.
Speaker 3: He had to be that.
Speaker 1: Suddenly there was a ship of wind, and I was almost blinded that the senders pouring out of the internal I saw an impasceptible shut. I go through the train as the brakes were a fire. The time was now. I raised my gun and hello, di trick. Everything cleaned up, Yes, mister, the passengers are still a little excited, and no doubt you shoot very straight.
Speaker 2: Mister calm, the body will be turned over to the authorities and hanover.
Speaker 1: Our judge the trick. I'll be right back. Uh, pardon me, Adam. The door is opening to own ucop. Forgive me latport a bet, Oh sir, next, You're quite welcome, I assure you. Would you like to win a brand new nineteen fifty four high style Plymouth convertible well, and be sure to enter the Big Plymouth contest that starts this Thursday, twenty five thousand dollars in prizes, including six new fifty four Plymouths and hundreds of cash prizes. Your Plymouth dealer can give you an entry blank next Thursday. You'll see it contains a complete list of the prizes and the easy rules. But don't put it off because the contest closes midnight Monday, October nineteenth. So I'll about a big red circle on the calendar around this coming Thursday. That's the day to see the new fifty four Plymouth and enter the big contest.
Speaker 2: Is it a date.
Speaker 3: Fifty fifty.
Speaker 1: For you? And the special music for Escape was composed and conducted by Rex Cory. This is Roy Rowan speaking Escape transcribed was brought to you by Plymouth, along with the reminder that you visit your Plymouth dealer on Thursday. Entered the twenty five thousand dollars contests and see the big, bright, beautiful new fifty four Plymouth Thursday. This is the CBS Radio Network is an