Speaker 1: Callaroga Shark Media.
Speaker 2: Very busy for Saturday, never mind a Saturday on a holiday weekend. I have remembered a Saturday this robust. It's been a while.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Johnny Mack with your daily comedy news. Two big specials of this holiday weekend DRAWD Carmichael on HBO Max Tonight, Mike Birbiglia on Netflix on Monday. Carmichael doesn't seem to have done any press. I'm recording this around noon on Friday. I see nothing, and I can't imagine that the PR department is putting out stuff on a Friday afternoon into a holiday weekend or a Saturday of a holiday weekend. So I'm not sure what that's about. Burbiggs did tons of press. We'll be talking about him for the next week or so. Let's start with this appearance on the Vanity Fair podcast. Mike told Vanity Fair a lot of times, I'll work out these jokes on his own podcast with people. I had Josh Johnson on the podcast recently. We were riffing on the premise I had. My wife was like, let's go in the basement and fix the piping for the water and the building. I put my shoes on my coat, and I go, let's go, And she goes, I'm afraid of the basement, and I go, I think you knew when you said let's go, you meant me honestly, it's just jotting down observations like that that are really simple. Then a lot of times two things will happen simultaneously. As the series of jokes and story sculpts into a narrative form that has causality and propulsion to it, does some of these jokes fall away? Which ones fall away? And which ones stay? And then which ones honestly become boring and which ones are still funny. Jirod Carmichael special tonight at HBO ten pm. You know they don't do the immediate streaming like the other services do, so you gotta stay up late. It's his fourth special for HBO, this one called Don't Be Gay. Variety reviewed it. Minor vibe spoilers here, no specifics. It won't ruin the special for you. It was filmed this February in New York City. Don't Be Gay opens with Carmichael standing on stage, as simple velvet beage curtain acting as the backdrop behind him. He immediately begins chatting about his reality series and his struggles with internalized homophobia and rampant infidelity. Despite his professional and felt financial success, Carmichael admits rather sheepishly that he still seeks the approval of black people, which likely has to do with his upbringing. The backlash to his white lover, or specifically the moment he sucked the toes of a hookup on screen pushed him to finally see a mental health professional. Carmichael appears more self assured than ever. He talks about his waffle obsession, using grinder when he was hiding his sexuality, his hyper religious mother, and how challenging it is to return to his childhood home in North Carolina. Friend of the show Jason Zennemann in The New York Times asked, can drawd Carmichael go back to basics? That's what he seems to be trying to do in this new effort, a return to cynical, punchy jokes that introduced themselves with a dash of shock before he came out of the closet and a moody sit down performance in Nathaniel then made his own navel gazing reality show. Carmichael was a Gifted Club comic. His new hour has more laughs permitted than his recent work, and his attention getting premises, among them A children's funerals aren't as sad as you might think. All right, that's promising. That sounds good, and we trust Jason. We'll get a special for Netflix. Her first for Netflix filth Queen, June twenty fourth. Filmed in Boston, the hour is produced by Bill Burr. Bill Burr told Deadline the first time I saw Steph Tillev was a promotional video she made for New York City show. I mean he fell in love with her in her comedy, one of the most inhibited original voices out there today. I love everything at boat her otsgo At Cotska, one of my favorites. Will have a special for Hulu. Hi, Hulu publicists, How you guys doing ots go At Cootska father on Hulu June thirteenth. There's even a trailer. Let's listen.
Speaker 1: So I asked my husband the other day how to turn on the washing machine, and that's how he realized that he had been doing the laundry.
Speaker 3: All these years.
Speaker 2: I was shocked to.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it has been you this whole time. You know, when you've seen someone do something so you think, oh, that was me too, only to walk up to the washing machine and realize, huh, I've never touched these buttons before.
Speaker 2: Father is Otsko's first special for Hulu, her second overall, The Intruder on HBO. It was a really fantastic one. Apple TV Plus announced the first original Peanuts musical in thirty five years. Snoopy Presents a summer musical. Ben Folds will write original music for the July eighteenth release. A summer musical is forty minutes long. In it, Charlie Brown is determined to make his final Yeared Camp special, but Sally is nervous about the new and unfamiliar place she's new to the camp. Also, Snoopy and Woodstock discover a treasure map that takes them on quote a wild adventure that's right. One morning, the Peanuts gang learns that their beloved camp is shutting down because there are fewer campers joining each summer. This saddens Charlie Brown, who feels hopeless about losing a place that has meant so much to him and his friends. The Scrubs reboot took a step towards reality. Zach Braff has signed on. He will come back as doctor John Dorian in the Scrubs reboot. This is pretty cool. On the other hand, what else is Zach Braff doing a podcast talking about Scrubs. Of course he's going to come back for their reboot. Next thing you're going to tell me is Donald Faison is coming back. He's got nothing going on either, No offense guys. Of course you're going to do the Scrubs reboot. Bill Lawrence back in twenty twenty two said if you ever have an excuse to work with people you want to spend time with anyway, or run to it. We'll also see who signs up. It is expected Donald Faison and Sarah Chalk will join up, and that Judy Rayis and John c McGinley will do limited appearances. That's what I have been seeing. Pete Davidson returned to Stand up after one year year. The New York Post reported Pete showed up at the stand last week on Monday and Wednesday nights, did fifteen minutes each night. A source told Page six. Pete open the set talking about how aidn't been on stage for a year, with his last set being a co headlining show. With Dave Chappelle in Ohio. No details on the set, though Bo and Yang was on the red carpet for the grand opening of Universal's Epic Universe. They asked him, hey, you coming back to SNL, because you looked like you weren't coming back. Yang acknowledged he was emotional on the Good Nights and said, I think you get to a point in SNL where you understand that you're on the downswing of things. I think I was just processing that being one of the last nights that I would have, and that's a huge thing. Every finale of Good Nights, something leaves my body because I'm just relieved from all that happened that season, and this was a big one. We went through a lot, so many fun memories. I think that was probably registering. I was just like, Oh, I need to savor these moments because I don't have them anymore. He was asked, is that last comment mean you're not coming back? Yang deflected the question, laughing and saying, no, we're not doing that. Just admit you're not coming back. I would have told you about this one, but I didn't see it until five minutes before it happened. But I think it's a lot of fun. If you've been following John Oliver's show, he's been trying to get minor league teams to rebrand. He's been making fun of minor league baseball. Well, the Saint Paul Saints went the other way. They had Plain Night. You see on the May fifth Oliver Show, John said that minor league baseball clubs should get more creative with their marketing and team names. John Oliver specifically called out the Saint Paul Saints has a disappointing example. So for Plain Knight, any Saints fan who had an ID with either the name John or Oliver quote two of the top one hundred and fifty generic men's names in the world got a free ticket. I could have gotten in for free. That's awesome. The first thousand fans of the game also received a plain piece of white paper. They also were blowing off the kiss cam or any other fun things on the Jobbotron. They were only going to show people in khaki pans and tuck did shirts. The only concession served at the game vanilla ice cream. Okay, I but trying to get to this one all week. The Inside Late Night podcast, Mark Malkoff spoke with Bill Carter. Jay Leno was the topic I had brought up on this program a few weeks ago, my question of like, is Jay Leno a nice guy or not? He seems like a nice guy, but everybody bat mounts him. So they got into it a little bit. The cleaner audio is Mark. The audio that sounds like it's a little uh not recorded on a proper studio microphone. That's Bill Carter. In this first clip they discussed Jay and Conan.
Speaker 4: Obviously I wrote a whole book about it, so it was interesting that they did want to avoid the Letterman Leno thing that happened before. So what did they do? They did give Conan the show with a five year wait. Five years, so Conin was hot as a pistol at the time, really really hot. And he could have said, I'm not waiting five years, I'm going to five right now right. Fox could have cleared the show and he would have been on Fox. He could have said that, but he, like the other guys, wanted the Tonight show. So he's he agreed to park his career for five year, park it WHI while he waited for Jay figuring and they all figured well in five years, Jay will want to leave, or maybe his raateers will be down. Well, they didn't know Jay if they thought he'd want to leave, but that they set that up, they set that in motion and for Jay and they come to him, they say, we love you. We're can standing here for another five years. And he didn't like the idea that there was a termination date. But at that point he was like, how can I say not to this and then Conan leaves and then I have another guy competing with me? Right, this is all in his head and he has nobody really advising him. He doesn't have a killer agent. If he has a killer agent, in these circumstances, he has way more leverage than he showed. He had a more leverage than he Just think.
Speaker 3: Jay rich Ratzk regrets and I think if he had to maybe go back, he would have given up the show and Laconan do his thing. I really really think that. I don't think he would say that publicly maybe, but I mean it's just he wouldn't have.
Speaker 4: Done the ten o'clock shows. What you're saying, I.
Speaker 3: Don't think he would did the ten o'clock show, or he would have at least like been like, okay, this didn't work, and this was a failure, and I'm gonna leave and do something else for NBC.
Speaker 2: And the question that I've been asking, does Jay Leno have any legacy? He's got the longevity, but what is his legacy? And I think his legacy might be tied to Codin O'Brien, which is a good time for me to remember to promote tomorrow's podcast. I have definitively declared there's no arguing the four names that are going up on Late Night Mount Rushmore. So don't like jump on a Facebook group or in the comments thinking you're gonna argue with me. No, I don't want that at all. You think I want to goose the algorithm starting a discussion. No, no, no, you just accept the four names that I declare tomorrow Late Night's Mount Rushmore. Anyway, anyway, here's Bill and Mark discussing Jay Leno's legacy.
Speaker 4: If you ask people what is his legacy? What did he bring? That is a big problem. He doesn't have the same ongoing resonance as certainly Letterman and now Conan is on fire right, he doesn't have that, and he would say it doesn't bother him because he was more interested in doing whatever, but he didn't advance the show in some significant way.
Speaker 3: You really thought that being number one was going to be enough. And if people look at Honeymooner's Perry Como was number one, and people do not remember Como, they remember the Honeymooners. It's one of those things. I mean, when I worked with you for CNN, You're a Webby Award winning host and I was one of the producers. We did this thing for CNN, a podcast, and before that, you did the History of Late Night, which I was featured in. That was nice enough to be in. But Jay was supposed to talk about his legacy and talk about the Tonight show. And a half hour before he's supposed to film with him and the crew and everything's lit, he calls you. What does he say?
Speaker 4: He says, he's not doing it because because Dave wouldn't do it.
Speaker 3: A half hour before he tells you this, he could have not just in.
Speaker 4: From the airport. I had landed that morning. I was driving in from the airport and he called me and said, he's not I'm not doing it and he and he said, because you know I Dave won't do it, and then I'll look bad, and I said, you won't look bad. Who cares what Dave's doing. You're you have a You're a giant in late night on your own. You don't What does it matter what Letterman does or doesn't do. No, No, I'll just get slammed for I'll get slammed for I said, you won't get slammed for it if you do it. I mean, if he did it and you didn't do it, you might get slammed for it.
Speaker 2: And for the show. Jason's Inniman makes the podcast for the second time. Today, Hi, Jason, have a good Memorial Day weekend. Jason floated the premise that Mulaney has figured it out. Now, I'm not going to ever disagree with Jason's in him and he's smarter than I am. And I've kind of given up on even sampling Mullane's show. I've tried to show like five six times, and like I just I'm not feeling it. This upcoming week is the one where Mulaney supposedly will fight three fourteen year old boys. Jason writes, is this whole thing a trick to get your attention? If so, it's a good one, because I've spent a fair amount of time considering ways that the host could possibly avoid taking a beating. It's not easy to dream up winning strategy for a delicate looking forty two year old comic that doesn't include weapons or rigging the rules. Mullaney appears confident about his chances. Of course, he always does. He takes part in all these stupendous, stupid and absurd things, not with an ironic, wink like letterment or sense of childlike silliness like O'Brien, but with an alien sureness, as if he were born to tell jokes blindfolded and get pummeled by teenagers for our entertainment. Until recently, he was this wholesome, very nice young man of stand up comedy. Then divorce and rehab shifted his image and his special about it catapulted him to a new position, the most acclaimed stand up of the moment. That he's now spending his cultural capital on this weirder show is something that deserves attention credit and I hope another season we'll see. So the initial announcement was that it got picked up for two seasons, but the words from Robbie pra the Netflix out of comedy. A couple weeks ago made me think that they're questioning things. Netflix does like to cancel things after one season, and it hasn't been showing up in the top ten. A lot of buzz on the show, but not too many people are actually watching. Apparently, We'll see if that one gets renewed. All Right, that is your comedy news for today again tomorrow, the definitive List, no arguing the Mount Rushmore of late night comedy, and a normal episode on Monday. All Right meets you back here tomorrow